http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12290526 - Nico

https://tcrf.net/Art_of_Fighting_%28Neo_Geo%29 AOF1 Stuff
https://tcrf.net/Art_of_Fighting_2_%28Arcade%29#Unused_Title_Text AOF2 stuff

Replies:
Professor
5329th Post

user profileedit/delete message
MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):SNK Stuff Thread 20- Spring 2018 Editio" , posted Wed 17 Jan 02:27post reply

Looking at the lineup now, the SNK Heroines looks like it'll probably be the only fighter coming out from the publisher this year considering it's in the middle of the summer. It'd be natural to assume they're probably planning on releasing an update for KOF14 to humor fans until then.

But will Heroine alone be able to addict fans? Time will Tell!

Regular Customer

"Re(2):SNK Stuff Thread 20- Spring 2018 Editio" , posted Wed 17 Jan 03:04post reply

quote:
Looking at the lineup now, the SNK Heroines looks like it'll probably be the only fighter coming out from the publisher this year considering it's in the middle of the summer. It'd be natural to assume they're probably planning on releasing an update for KOF14 to humor fans until then.

Well it's not like the audience for Heroines overlaps much with the audience for serious fighters from SNK.

No new Samurai Shodown for the series' 25th anniversary would be pretty tragic.

chazumaru
1999th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):SNK Stuff Thread 20- Spring 2018 Editio" , posted Wed 17 Jan 03:26post reply

quote:
Well it's not like the audience for Heroines overlaps much with the audience for serious fighters from SNK.

It probably does have some overlap, considering the characters and niche audience for fighting games, but I'd say this audience probably would not play each game in the same circumstances and for the same reasons. I think more importantly it will need to attract lapsed SNK fans / fighting game fans to succeed.

Man, I forgot how completely bonkers was the enemy A.I. in AOF2/Ryūko2.

Même Narumi est épatée !

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):SNK Stuff Thread 20- Spring 2018 Editio" , posted Wed 17 Jan 04:52post reply

quote:

If clothes animation just like AOF2 , i think it might getting more fans in this.

Who did this to these dogs ???
sibarraz
651th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):SNK Stuff Thread 20- Spring 2018 Editio" , posted Thu 18 Jan 05:27post reply

SNK was Smart on releasing this on Switch, is cool that the KOF 14 engine was easily ported to the system (Or maybe was built in with it one its mind?)

PSN: IkariLoona
Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):SNK Stuff Thread 20- Spring 2018 Editio" , posted Sat 20 Jan 02:20post reply

This comic keeps appearing in my Twitter timeline:
http://www.funwarijump.jp/manga/ryuseira/h2oqc4u19flw

And apparently it's through SNK-related accounts - there's an SNK trademark bit under the color comic there, although the black and white ones under it appear to lack that - i wonder what it's all about, considering I can't read it...

...!!
Professor
5333th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):SNK Stuff Thread 20- Spring 2018 Editio" , posted Sat 20 Jan 02:49post reply

quote:

And apparently it's through SNK-related accounts - there's an SNK trademark bit under the color comic there, although the black and white ones under it appear to lack that - i wonder what it's all about, considering I can't read it...

Ahh it's a legit manga, drawn by the voice actoress who did Meiten-kun's voice.
It's sort of a self-chronicle on her life, about living in Peking and then moving to Japan from her passion for otaku culture.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P - THE FOOL

"Re(5):SNK Stuff Thread 20- Spring 2018 Editio" , posted Sat 20 Jan 02:51:post reply

quote:
At a glance, it seems to be the memories of a VA who is born and raised in China, and she tells her Japanese audiences how she used to go to Chinese arcades, how it was there when she played KOF97, etc.

Ah! The point is she dubs Meitenkun, who's a Chinese character, in Japanese and Chinese. Because she speaks both languages, and that's rare (Terry and Date Masamune notwithstanding).

[this message was edited by Iggy on Sat 20 Jan 02:53]

Professor
5336th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):SNK Stuff Thread 20- Spring 2018 Editio" , posted Sun 21 Jan 21:01:post reply

I was checking out the pools for the upcoming Evo Japan list, but man the entrants are packed with top players compared to the usual Evo in Las Vegas. It's pretty much guaranteed that there's at least one top level player in each pool, and while people seem to expect Xiaohai or ET to win, I can't be as opinionated-- this game can go anywhere.

On an interesting note, I spotted BALA listed in the pools (A7), which was quite unexpected since iirc he hasn't been to an Evo since 2012 when the series made its debut at their main stage. Unfortunately though he's not coming to this Evo Japan either as I've learnt yesterday. I've also heard that a number of other overseas players will need to drop plans because of visa, passport, or financial issues. Leaving aside the players from asian regions, the international turnout might not look as varietied as the pools may show.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 21 Jan 21:06]

Yuki Yagami

111th Post

Regular Customer

"KOF XIV 3.0 - More than Oswald and Najd?" , posted Mon 22 Jan 22:25post reply

KOF XIV Battle Director Watanabe saw something from the preview of the next chapter of the KOF Manga (which will be officially out on February 5)...

While the teams are being introduced in the manga, who could this be character wearing a Kitsune Mask? Mai? Mian? Chizuru? A new character? Is pachinko still being phased out in KOF XIV even though they will be in SNK Heroines?

It does not matter at all. Since we'll get a taste of KOF XIV 3.0 at EVO Japan. Probably we'll know her identity soon.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

Regular Customer

"Re(7):SNK Stuff Thread 20- Spring 2018 Editio" , posted Tue 23 Jan 07:53post reply

quote:
I was checking out the pools for the upcoming Evo Japan list, but man the entrants are packed with top players compared to the usual Evo in Las Vegas. It's pretty much guaranteed that there's at least one top level player in each pool, and while people seem to expect Xiaohai or ET to win, I can't be as opinionated-- this game can go anywhere.

On an interesting note, I spotted BALA listed in the pools (A7), which was quite unexpected since iirc he hasn't been to an Evo since 2012 when the series made its debut at their main stage. Unfortunately though he's not coming to this Evo Japan either as I've learnt yesterday. I've also heard that a number of other overseas players will need to drop plans because of visa, passport, or financial issues. Leaving aside the players from asian regions, the international turnout might not look as varietied as the pools may show.

I can't wait for EvoJapan, was looking through the KOF pools when they went up and it's just stacked with killers. Damn near every player worth mentioning for XIV is in there.

Saw Bala and was shocked to say the least, especially since Madkof is attending as well. Too bad it turned out to be false.

No disrespect to the NA players but most of them don't have a chance I think, especially with how bad Reynald got his clock cleaned at the recent invitation in China. M' made it all the way back from losers into the grand finals in this tournament so this was probably his strongest showing since winning the championship. Xiaohai won (quite easily) and basically took revenge on both ET and M'.

So far no country has won KOF at Evo more than once, it has been a new country each time a KOF has been a main game at Evo. Hope this tradition continues. Out of the 'major' regions for KOF, Japan and Mexico are the ones that have the most to prove.

chazumaru
2004th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"1 Million Arcade Archives sold on Switch" , posted Thu 25 Jan 19:20post reply

The 57 titles (at the time of writing) of Hamster's Arcade Archives series have passed a million sales worldwide on Nintendo Switch alone. I believe about 50 or 51 of the titles released are Neo Geo games.

Speaking of which, this week's Neo Geo game on Switch is World Heroes 2 and we already know next week's is Shin Samurai Spirits / Samurai Shodown II. The PS4 and Xbox get Shock Troopers this week.

Même Narumi est épatée !
Yuki Yagami

113th Post

Regular Customer

""Joker -KOF XIV Ver.-" Confirmed" , posted Fri 26 Jan 02:11:post reply

The Video

Still, we can't confirm or deny the Steam data yet because of the addition of Najd. We'll have to wait for DLC Character No.2 for confirmation.

EDIT:According to PlayStation Europe, we'll get four characters, coming in April.

Oswald, ? (female), ? (male), Najd

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Fri 26 Jan 04:20]

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):" , posted Fri 26 Jan 02:57post reply

Huh, I usually have a great deal of trepidation when it comes to game rumors and doubly so with SNK rumors; those fans seem to be particularly good at crafting elaborate fanfiction out of thin air. But what do you know, it looks like this one is panning out. It's a shame the KoF14 lighting didn't allow for his old Kouta Hirano shading but, hey, Oswald's back!

Yuki Yagami

113th Post

Regular Customer

"More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Sun 28 Jan 18:15post reply

Just the Oswald Trailer but with Silhouettes (Thanks, BON) (Heidern is that you?). They also confirmed that Najd is one of the four DLC characters.

Update: Oswald, ?, Heidern?, Najd

Also, we get a full trailer of SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy. (Nakoruru is added as well)

Lastly, The King of Fighters '97 Global Match (KOF '97GM) is announced.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(1):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Mon 29 Jan 05:51post reply

quote:
Also, we get a full trailer of SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy. (Nakoruru is added as well)

OK, I was on board with the game, and I wasn't particularly against the cow motif for Mai since it was basically her character all along. Leona was OOC, but her keeping a straight face was hilarious enough. Never liked Kula, so didn't care how they treated her.
This, though? This is NOT OK (also NSFW).

I also dislike how, in some of the footage we've seen, everyone plays with the girls in bkini, which has the DoA effect of making it extremely difficult to recognize the characters if your attention drops for a second.

I'm slowly cooling down on this game.

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(1):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Mon 29 Jan 06:19post reply

quote:
Just the Oswald Trailer but with Silhouettes (Thanks, BON) (Heidern is that you?). They also confirmed that Najd is one of the four DLC characters.

The hard angle midway down the silhouette makes me think it's someone wearing a jacket.

ffs SNK if you're not going to add Mary then stop making it look like you are

Neo0r0chiaku
381th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles
Silver Customer

"Re(1):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Mon 29 Jan 08:47post reply

quote:

Lastly, The King of Fighters '97 Global Match (KOF '97GM) is announced.

Any information on KOF97 GM in general? Is this a release of the game with online play? Hope graphics are enhanced or redrawn.

Long Live I AM!
Professor
5345th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Mon 29 Jan 09:43post reply

quote:

Any information on KOF97 GM in general? Is this a release of the game with online play? Hope graphics are enhanced or redrawn.

Exactly-- this is KoF97 with online play. Meaning that it's developed specifically with the Chinese market in mind.

IIRC there was talk about an HD remake a while back in China. I assume this is it, and they've decided to make it a global release.

neo0r0chiaku
382th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Mon 29 Jan 11:09post reply

quote:

Exactly-- this is KoF97 with online play. Meaning that it's developed specifically with the Chinese market in mind.

IIRC there was talk about an HD remake a while back in China. I assume this is it, and they've decided to make it a global release.

Oh wow! And to think I was the only person who really enjoyed and like 97 as its one of my favorite KOF games. Even during those treacherous loading days of the Saturn.

I hope its an HD remake. Those were one of the best stages of the series. I wonder what they would do with the fighting system. With the choice of classic or new. Maybe new would be 98 fighting system closely.

Long Live I AM!
chazumaru
2010th Post

"Re(4):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Mon 29 Jan 11:30post reply

It seems to be handled by Code Mystics so you should assume a product very similar to what happened with The Last Blade 2 and MOTW. Don't expect a HD remake for what is, as Prof and others mentioned, essentially aiming at the Chinese and SEA markets and also needs to run properly on all targets (PS4, Vita and a wide variety of PC configs).

Même Narumi est épatée !
Professor
5348th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Mon 29 Jan 12:16:post reply

quote:
It seems to be handled by Code Mystics so you should assume a product very similar to what happened with The Last Blade 2 and MOTW.

Ah if it's handled by Code Mystics, then it's probably not HD. The HD version was under development by Wu Yao Technology in Beijing.

[edit] Oh, looks like the HD version's been out for over two years already! This totally went under the radar.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 29 Jan 12:18]

Lord SNK
278th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Mon 29 Jan 23:48post reply

Speaking of SNK Heroines, I found a clearer image of the black silhouttes, here
Hoping that hot linking their images directly from their site is not disabled, if it doesn't work, copy&paste this URL: http://nisamerica.com/games/snk-heroines/img/bg4.png

So the upper right with the cross was Nakoruru.

"Re(1):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Tue 30 Jan 00:31post reply

quote:

Even when crouching Oswald is quite tall so the character voguing in the background looks to be a good ten feet tall.

quote:
This, though? This is NOT OK (also NSFW).

What is this? Why is this? Besides being tacky as hell nothing in the costume resembles Nakoruru.

"Re(2):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Tue 30 Jan 01:22post reply

The weirdest thing about SNK Heroines Nakoruru is that Mahamaha was replaced with an actual bat - not Mahamaha with bat props like the scarf in XIV, but a complete replacement, what were they thinking?...

I do hope by the time they have most or all of the character revealed they'll have some cover artwork with more reasonable outfits - so far everyone but Yuri and Nako have artwork specific to that game while wearing their classics, so at least some effort has been applied towards having alternatives... but would it all be ready by Summer, considering that based on the comic the project has been in the works since about April or so?...

Even if this new take on KoF97 gets graphical tweaks, they're not fixing things like proportions in portraits, are they? The likes of Chizuru never look quite right in that game outside the actual combat sprites, and upgrading the resolution alone won't fix that...

...!!
chazumaru
2011th Post

"Re(3):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Tue 30 Jan 02:45post reply

quote:
I do hope by the time they have most or all of the character revealed they'll have some cover artwork with more reasonable outfits - so far everyone but Yuri and Nako have artwork specific to that game while wearing their classics, so at least some effort has been applied towards having alternatives...

The earlier trailer showed that each character has several costumes; ex. Athena has at least her schoolgirl, goddess and Heroine(?) costumes. What I don't know is whether the characters can trade costumes like in DOA Xtreme, to take a completely random example with no further association in mind.

Regarding Nakoruru... Hum.... At least we can appreciate the weirdly super specific reference? I think the story goes that Mamahaha has been transformed into a bat; but maybe that was just fans' extrapolating based on the picture.

Même Narumi est épatée !

"Re(4):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Tue 30 Jan 18:09post reply

A new free webcomic is how that seems like an SNK-centric take on the High Score Girl concept.

This was announced some time ago, but I couldn't even make out the title - "reba gacha archive"?... Not sure if that's supposed to be an abbreviation for something else.

It's got some eloquent moments, at least, like the character thinking of Heidern to psyche himself up.

...!!
Lord SNK
279th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Wed 31 Jan 05:16post reply

quote:
A new free webcomic is how that seems like an SNK-centric take on the High Score Girl concept.

This was announced some time ago, but I couldn't even make out the title - "reba gacha archive"?... Not sure if that's supposed to be an abbreviation for something else.

It's got some eloquent moments, at least, like the character thinking of Heidern to psyche himself up.

I don't know japanese, but apparently the "レバガチャア" part of the name "レバガチャアーカイブ" according to google should means "Shake the joystick and press the buttons rapidly"
I hope someone that know japanese can enlighten us more on this, it seems interesting.

Professor
5351th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):More SNK EVO Japan Stuff" , posted Wed 31 Jan 13:18:post reply

quote:
I don't know japanese, but apparently the "レバガチャア" part of the name "レバガチャアーカイブ" according to google should means "Shake the joystick and press the buttons rapidly"
I hope someone that know japanese can enlighten us more on this, it seems interesting.

The title is actually made of three words, レバー、 ガチャ、 and アーカイブ. "Lever-gacha Archive". Lever of course refers to the stick, and gacha is a mashing/clattering sound effect, so the title essencially means "The stick-mashing Chronicles".

From quickly checking out the manga, it starts off in 2006 with a guy taking a visit to a shopping mall from his salad days, and then the story flashes back to 1995. And we learn that it's going to be about the guy back in his younger junior high days (age 14), where he thought he was going to get confessed by a girl but turns out she just wants to get personal tutoring on NeoGeo games.

Not bad, but I wonder why the author decided to start off the story from 2006 instead of the modern day? What's the significance starting the flashback from 2006? I'd love to know

And for anyone wondering, the author decided to name that fictitious shopping mall "Sausu (South) Shopping Center", as in Southtown, lol.

Artist Twitter

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 31 Jan 13:20]

Yuki Yagami

114th Post

Regular Customer

"SNK Art Gallery at Umeda Loft" , posted Tue 6 Feb 14:24post reply

SNK-related information...

SNK will have a 40th Anniversary Art Gallery in Umeda Loft. The Art Gallery will be located at the Ground Floor at the Loft Market. The exhibition will be up from February 16th up to March 4th. The exhibition is open from 10:30 AM - 9:00 PM, expect on the last day, which will close in 6:00 PM (All times JST).

Special Merchandise (Pens, Candies, Cookies and Pins) will be sold in the exhibition as well.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
Professor
5355th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):SNK Art Gallery at Umeda Loft" , posted Tue 6 Feb 19:15post reply

I've love to pick up that Shermie lolippop just to stick it at Gunsmith next time he comes around, but Umeda is in Osaka! Thanks for the heads up though.

"Re(2):SNK Art Gallery at Umeda Loft" , posted Wed 7 Feb 09:56post reply

Goeniko lives on in KoF98UMOL?

After a game where a guy who prevented himself from being born returned, sure, why not?

...!!
Yuki Yagami

115th Post

Regular Customer

"SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Sat 10 Feb 13:39post reply

Video
29 Characters... Instead of just 14?

Interview with Oda about SNK Heroines

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
chazumaru
2015th Post

"Re(1):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Sat 10 Feb 15:04post reply

Huh, I had not even realized that there was a single life gauge for both characters. That is an interesting choice. NISA also posted a new video showing more costumes (including the classic ones). I like those alternative costumes much more, besides Yuri who is for some reason the only character with three cute costumes.

Même Narumi est épatée !
GekigangerV
2012th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
CFN: gekijmo

"Re(1):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Sun 11 Feb 05:15post reply

quote:
Video

Interview with Oda about SNK Heroines

29 Characters sounds like a nice roster. If every female character from KOF XIV was included that would be about 18 characters right there.

I hope they work on the graphics a bit. The game gave me Street Fighter Mouse Generations vibes.

"Re(2):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Sun 11 Feb 07:44post reply

I actually think the game looks fun to play, but I am really not a fan of the whole "look how embarrassed they are" thing going on. Maybe the story will go about how they eventually start having fun with the ridiculous costumes, but the SETTEI makes me feel like I'm having fun when the characters themselves don't want to be there, and that feels weird.

Arguably, the absence of this sense of empathy in other more violent games suggests that they have succeeded tremendously in making me care about these characters where those other games have failed!

That I feel anything counts for something!

"Re(3):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Sun 11 Feb 08:17post reply

quote:
I actually think the game looks fun to play, but I am really not a fan of the whole "look how embarrassed they are" thing going on. Maybe the story will go about how they eventually start having fun with the ridiculous costumes, but the SETTEI makes me feel like I'm having fun when the characters themselves don't want to be there, and that feels weird.

Arguably, the absence of this sense of empathy in other more violent games suggests that they have succeeded tremendously in making me care about these characters where those other games have failed!

That I feel anything counts for something!

at least they are having fun making this gane!

"Re(1):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Sun 11 Feb 09:15:post reply

quote:
Video

But if you skip every other row, it adds up to 14.

Also if there were characters in every space you'd kind of need a mouse cursor to select them, which the game doesn't seem to have. To me that implies that they're all lined up like the row that's already filled in.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sun 11 Feb 09:24]

Professor
5359th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Sun 11 Feb 09:39:post reply

quote:
Video

Also if there were characters in every space you'd kind of need a mouse cursor to select them, which the game doesn't seem to have. To me that implies that they're all lined up like the row that's already filled in.

Just imagine if half the roster were DLC! *Cough* freeyangandblake .

(Nipponichi America reportedly clarified that it's a full package.)

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 11 Feb 10:11]

Yuki Yagami

116th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Sun 11 Feb 15:09post reply

quote:
Video

Then again, we had KOF 2002 UM or Vanilla Samurai Shodown V Character Select or for a non-SNK example, Vampire Savior for a "non-linear" character select screen that does not use a mouse cursor.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

"Re(2):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Mon 12 Feb 04:01post reply

I'm not certain to make of the interview's claim that there is a deep, fascinating story behind the costume changes. Just admit it's all sexy nonsense; honesty is the best policy!

quote:
I hope they work on the graphics a bit. The game gave me Street Fighter Mouse Generations vibes.

That may be the most accurate comparison for how this game looks like it's shaping up. Since Mouse Generations seemed only to exist to sell Revoltech figures I wonder if SNKH is an side project designed to sell expensive figures of the characters in all their various costumes?

quote:
"After what happened to the Valis girls Leona knew it was only a matter of time before something like this came along. That knowledge didn't make the leather thong any more comfortable."

chazumaru
2017th Post

"Re(3):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Mon 12 Feb 09:48:post reply

Some impressions on the controls setup and overall system over at Destructoid.

Similar stuff but from another source.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Tue 13 Feb 12:57]

chazumaru
2018th Post

"Re(4):KOF2002 Blitz..." , posted Thu 15 Feb 04:22post reply

KOF2002 is available for free on GOG.com for the next 48 hours.

Même Narumi est épatée !
GekigangerV
2015th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
CFN: gekijmo

"Re(5):KOF2002 Blitz..." , posted Thu 15 Feb 11:38post reply

quote:
KOF2002 is available for free on GOG.com for the next 48 hours.

Maybe I am not looking at the right place but is there no way to rebind keys? The default is horrible

Yuki Yagami

118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Sat 17 Feb 15:27:post reply

A short, but interesting interview by NintendoSoup with Oda and Soranaka about SNK Heroines.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Sat 17 Feb 15:28]

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Mon 19 Feb 09:54post reply

quote:
A short, but interesting interview by NintendoSoup with Oda and Soranaka about SNK Heroines.

I suppose they can hardly be blamed for not knowing that we know about Gals Fighter considering how niche the NGPC was and how small a release the game itself got, but it was one of those games that stuck out because of Miss X being a thing.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."
Yuki Yagami

118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Mon 19 Feb 15:27post reply

There are also other interviews posted throughout the weekend...

WCCFTech
PushSquare
Nintendo Everything

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
chazumaru
2022th Post

"One second with Garospe" , posted Tue 20 Feb 00:13post reply

Damn, for once in my life I had (and you had, and we all had) a legit chance chance to win a fighting game tournament at Mikado.

Même Narumi est épatée !

"Re(1):One second with Garospe" , posted Wed 21 Feb 18:46post reply

Korean live-action take on Art of Fighting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9IW4NqYOUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ZjYLmD-3E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46hO1MCdBoE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahDALsRVQGM

...!!
Professor
5365th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):One second with Garospe" , posted Wed 21 Feb 19:36:post reply

quote:

I was looking around for a higher-quality version of this, thanks!!

Wait a second... I never saw the last part until now. So Robert is the bad guy behind it all!? That's awesome!

[edit] I never knew FFS had a one second timer option of all things. Love to play that!

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 21 Feb 19:51]

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"GO! TO HELL!!" , posted Fri 23 Feb 02:20:post reply

Well, look who's joining KOFXIV!

I'm finally starting to get interested in this game!

EDIT: His super voice clip sounds like "GO! TO HEAVEN"-- have I been mishearing it all these years? Surely someone here can help me out with this vital question?

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

[this message was edited by karasu on Fri 23 Feb 02:23]

Yuki Yagami

119th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):GO! TO HELL!!" , posted Fri 23 Feb 03:28post reply

quote:
Well, look who's joining KOFXIV!

I'm finally starting to get interested in this game!

EDIT: His super voice clip sounds like "GO! TO HEAVEN"-- have I been mishearing it all these years? Surely someone here can help me out with this vital question?

I still think it's "Go to Hell!"...

This leaves Najd and another fighter that majority of the fans insist is Blue Mary, but then again, SNK loves throwing curve balls at random directions.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

"Re(2):GO! TO HELL!!" , posted Fri 23 Feb 04:04post reply

Heidern has a Jim Steranko era Nick Fury thing going on with his KoF14 look. That's not bad. He also appears to have lost his grab the opponent's neck and spin around move, which is fine by me since that looked really silly.

I think he's saying "heaven" as well?
Go to...
Heaven
Hell
Let's Rock

"Re(3):GO! TO HELL!!" , posted Fri 23 Feb 04:14post reply

quote:

I listened to it a few times, and it certainly sounds like he is saying "Heaven" in the trailer. He's pronouncing two syllables, though the pronunciation is a little blurred. (It is rather different from listening to the precisely enunciated "Go to Hell" of KOF'94.)

Professor
5366th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):GO! TO HELL!!" , posted Fri 23 Feb 11:13:post reply

quote:

It's hard to tell but by judging what he says on the move's startup, "Jigoku o misete yarou" which means "I'll show you hell", it wouldn't make sense if he said "Heaven" at the end. My bet is that he's still saying "Hell" like the ol' days, just that it's getting offset by the sound effect.

Seeing Heidern just reminded me of his chipmonk face at the end of KOF Destiny which chessyness just brings back the SNK from the 90s. Together with Rugal's quote too.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 23 Feb 11:14]

chazumaru
2023th Post

"Re(3):One second with Garospe" , posted Sat 24 Feb 02:28post reply

quote:

Wow! My week-end is made, thanks.

quote:
I never knew FFS had a one second timer option of all things. Love to play that!

I immediately checked the settings of the Arcade Archives version and it's in the regular game settings, not even a DIPswitch trick. Any operator is free to set the starting timer at the exact digit they want, and anyone with the Arcade Archives version can also create this kind of stupid tournament with friends. Amazing!

Speaking of the Arcade Archives, to celebrate the Neo Geo series reaching over a million copies sold, there will be a special event on March 3rd (Sat) in Taito's Megarage arcade center in Mizonokuchi, featuring Hamster staff, SNK staff and some talents who frequently intervene in Hamster's PR, such as the “Gaming Comedian“ Fujita. The event will be streamed on NicoNico.

Même Narumi est épatée !

"Re(4):One second with Garospe" , posted Wed 14 Mar 08:16post reply

While the news that SNK is going public is interesting what really caught my attention was their forecast of nearly doubling their profits next year. How on earth are they planning to grow that much? Is going public that big a boost? Will they make their cash off of SNK Heroines dakimakura? Is SNK going to become an international money laundering scheme?

Professor
5378th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):One second with Garospe" , posted Sat 17 Mar 02:24post reply

quote:
While the news that SNK is going public is interesting what really caught my attention was their forecast of nearly doubling their profits next year. How on earth are they planning to grow that much? Is going public that big a boost? Will they make their cash off of SNK Heroines dakimakura? Is SNK going to become an international money laundering scheme?

It's certainly a good question because as far as I can tell SNK hasn't been making that much game sales for the past year, and while they have some smartphone games I don't know how well they're doing.

What's more, their fiscal ends in July. So there's a chance that sales from SNK Heroines isn't counted in the forcast.

The original report reasons hat SNK's expected sales from their new KOF mobile game will make them good profit. ...I assume from Asia. I can't see it making that much profit from Japan, but then again that licensed KOF98OL Mobile game apparently made some good cash, so it's hard to tell.

I have a feeling that SNK made some good money off other things, like licensing fees, mechandising, and LINE stickers. After all, who doesn't like LINE stickers!

KensouADV

55th Post

PSN: Mike_ADV
STM: tamakimike
Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Look! t-shirts" , posted Tue 20 Mar 10:39:post reply

quote:

I have a feeling that SNK made some good money off other things, like licensing fees, mechandising, and LINE stickers. After all, who doesn't like LINE stickers!

Maybe they expect to sell a lot of shirts with Najd in the middle east

Let's hope that at least this thursday we don't end up disappointed after endlessly refreshing our youtube pages.

By the way, what is everyone thinking of the manga right now? Maybe they're going too fast without any backstory and going straight to the fights might please the overseas audience that grew up with DBZ instead of the original Dragon Ball?

[this message was edited by KensouADV on Tue 20 Mar 10:42]

nobinobita
1871th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(6):One second with Garospe" , posted Tue 20 Mar 14:40post reply

quote:

It's certainly a good question because as far as I can tell SNK hasn't been making that much game sales for the past year, and while they have some smartphone games I don't know how well they're doing.

What's more, their fiscal ends in July. So there's a chance that sales from SNK Heroines isn't counted in the forcast.

Yeah I was thinking, maybe they aren't thinking big so much as they're just not very profitable right now. Perhaps they're counting on raking in a lot of dough from licensing out their properties to Chinese companies? That's where the big bucks are!

http://www.kofworld.com/the-king-of-fighters-destiny/snk-and-tencent-bid-big-on-the-king-of-fighters-destiny-mobile-game/

www.art-eater.com
Professor
5381th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Look! t-shirts" , posted Tue 20 Mar 19:47post reply

Nobi-- I'm sure the IP licenses to China are a reason, and again, SNK is making a mobile MMORPG for the Chinese market as well, which I assume is where they're expecting the big bucks.

quote:
By the way, what is everyone thinking of the manga right now? Maybe they're going too fast without any backstory and going straight to the fights might please the overseas audience that grew up with DBZ instead of the original Dragon Ball?

DBZ is a nice way to put it, how they staggered so many months before the first fight even started. Oh Goku and his Genki-dama!

"Re(8):Look!" , posted Thu 22 Mar 10:43post reply

Not surprisingly, the next DLC trailer was
the first announced character.

She turned out pretty well, it seems. The super is a little disappointing because it has horror implications but you know they can't do anything too guro so it just ends up looking silly.

Anyway this leaves SNK to Blue ball us with the mysterious final silhouette. I've Mary a clue about who it could be. I'll stop now

Yuki Yagami

121th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Look!" , posted Thu 22 Mar 15:43post reply

quote:

Anyway this leaves SNK to Blue ball us with the mysterious final silhouette. I've Mary a clue about who it could be. I'll stop now

Unless we see our dream turn into Ash. We hope not a Shingo tear will be shed. We May look forward into it.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341
Gold Customer

"Re(10):Look!" , posted Thu 22 Mar 17:51post reply

quote:

Unless we see our dream turn into Ash. We hope not a Shingo tear will be shed. We May look forward into it.

I Gato see who SNK will reveal next. The gunpose makes me dream of a Metal Slug character but I know that is Fio-tile. I guess there is nothing Todo but wait and see.

(Najd turned out really cool. I should write a post about her design sometime but I need to see more of her. And that might only happen when she's out)

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/
pretzelmotion.com

"Re(9):Look!" , posted Thu 22 Mar 19:01post reply

quote:

She turned out pretty well, it seems. The super is a little disappointing because it has horror implications but you know they can't do anything too guro so it just ends up looking silly.

Anyway this leaves SNK to Blue ball us with the mysterious final silhoutte. I've Mary a clue about who it could be. I'll stop now

There is a chance that SNK to B. Jenet's about trolling so Mary fans!

"Re(9):Look!" , posted Thu 22 Mar 19:15post reply

quote:

It's neat how the character profile under the video says she sort of part-times as a crime fighter, and the video itself has her beating up Xanadu and Geese's teams of antagonists... and Kim - but then again he's got issues and I suspect the "Justice!" schtick is just a PR factor so he can mercilessly torture and beat up people nobody will care about - maybe Najd and her cloak detect that or something.

I'm not sure what to make of the choice of having Najd cloaked all the te=ime except in her portrait - I have no real idea of how standard hijabs and similar head coverage are in Saudi Arabia, but in any case I like how the final design ended up compared to the original submission. The color scheme in particular turned out nicely, with that balance between red, dark purple and silver and I don't think stodd out that much in the original - maybe the choice to give her white-ish hair and showing that in her portrait was to help work with that color scheme?

I also can't help but find myself wondering how/if cosplay fits in the whole haram/halal spectrum of islamic (dis)approval, especially for observant practitioners who use hijabs and similar - I've seen occasional photos of workarounds that involved some awkward-looking wigs, but for the most part, female character designs in popular works don't seem to work well with the established boundaries of that kind of garb, and this is one rare case of a character design that might work while fitting into a relatively popular setting...
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but ever since I moved to the Netherlands I started seeing a lot more hijabs that I did back in Portugal, so I find myself thinking more about implications of practices like that.

...!!

"Re(10):Look!" , posted Fri 23 Mar 00:47post reply

Hey, Najd looks pretty neat! It's a shame the idea of her attacks being based around the edges of her outfit didn't make it into the game but that may have been beyond the means of KoF14. The black flames feel a bit rote but if there's one thing SNK is good at it's fire based attacks.

Digitalboy
802th Post

XBL: SupplyPigeon8
STM: ungoy_pwet
Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Sun 25 Mar 10:32post reply

Per Siliconera: there will be an arcade release along with the home consoles.

Also, some surprise characters.

I would not doubt to see some Bandai Namco and Toei Tecmo characters showing up.

quote:

I suppose they can hardly be blamed for not knowing that we know about Gals Fighter considering how niche the NGPC was and how small a release the game itself got, but it was one of those games that stuck out because of Miss X being a thing.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

"Re(7):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Sun 25 Mar 22:51post reply

quote:

I would not doubt to see some Bandai Namco and Toei Tecmo characters showing up.

An arcade release? I thought this was a quick side game but SNK is acting like this is the next Big Thing. Is SNK Heroines mania sweeping the world and I didn't notice?

Professor
5385th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):SNK Heroines Blitz..." , posted Sun 25 Mar 23:32:post reply

quote:

An arcade release? I thought this was a quick side game but SNK is acting like this is the next Big Thing. Is SNK Heroines mania sweeping the world and I didn't notice?

It's probably because either

1/ It's easy to port to the Taito TypeX3
or
2/ Taito is handling the port like they did with the Arcade version of KOF14
or.. well, both. Which seems like quite a possibility. The port announcement was made during the KOF14 Arcade version tournament yesterday which was hosted by Taito.

BTW there was a live guitar performance during the tournament's half-time featuring two of the core sound staff (one guy is SHA-V I think). The footage's been reposted onto Youtube by Gunsmith for anyone who's missed it,

Also, the manga has bee updated.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 26 Mar 03:53]

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341
Gold Customer

"Re(10):Look!" , posted Mon 26 Mar 20:49post reply

quote:

I also can't help but find myself wondering how/if cosplay fits in the whole haram/halal spectrum of islamic (dis)approval, especially for observant practitioners who use hijabs and similar - I've seen occasional photos of workarounds that involved some awkward-looking wigs, but for the most part, female character designs in popular works don't seem to work well with the established boundaries of that kind of garb, and this is one rare case of a character design that might work while fitting into a relatively popular setting...
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but ever since I moved to the Netherlands I started seeing a lot more hijabs that I did back in Portugal, so I find myself thinking more about implications of practices like that.

I've seen a lot of hijab-wearing women do cosplay, whether in this region or elsewhere, this is one random page I googled but it's funny cause there's a cosplay of Nakoruru at random. It seems some try to wear a wig that works both as cover and as the hair for the character, but most just make do with a "hijab-wearing" variation of the character, especially with crossplay. Then there's characters that are originally wearing some sort of cloak that's not too dissimilar to a hijab so it works out well.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/
pretzelmotion.com
Professor
5385th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Re(10):Look!" , posted Tue 27 Mar 07:58post reply

A little on the artsy side of things, Persona (one of the main artist at Lab Zero games, great guy) posted up on Twitter a photo together with Eiji Shiroi from her very recent visit to Wondercon.

https://twitter.com/personasama/status/978337654172393472

Professor
5388th Post

MMCafe Owner

"KOF14 Ver 3.0 Patch Lagfest" , posted Wed 28 Mar 03:29:post reply

Out of curiousity, who here is planning on getting the DLCs for the upcoming KOF14 Ver3.0 patch, either single characters or in a pack? The prices and date haven't been announced yet, but by a raise of hands I'd like to see if we'll have enough interest to have an MMCafe Lagfest for this.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 28 Mar 03:30]

ungenesis
476th Post

Wii: ungenesis
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis
Gold Customer

"Re(1):KOF14 Ver 3.0 Patch Lagfest" , posted Wed 28 Mar 09:10post reply

I would lag out, but I'm Steam only :(

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Anyone still playing Phantasy Star Online 2?
Ship: 2
ID: entropytempts

"Re(1):KOF14 Ver 3.0 Patch Lagfest" , posted Wed 28 Mar 21:03post reply

quote:
Out of curiousity, who here is planning on getting the DLCs for the upcoming KOF14 Ver3.0 patch, either single characters or in a pack? The prices and date haven't been announced yet, but by a raise of hands I'd like to see if we'll have enough interest to have an MMCafe Lagfest for this.

I'm getting it all, but I haven't renewed my PSN Plus since I was between jobs late last year, and have mostly been catching up on some single-player stuff (good grief I haven't even touched NieR Automata yet, and SRW X is already on the horizon...) - might consider renewing it.

...!!

"Re(2):KOF14 Ver 3.0 Patch Lagfest" , posted Wed 28 Mar 21:15post reply

The three characters that have been shown already look interesting so even if TBA fighter turns out to be a clunker the new group is already a good purchase. That said, I will have to bow out of any lagfests; when it comes to KoF14 I am terrible.

"Re(3):KOF14 Ver 3.0 Patch Lagfest" , posted Thu 29 Mar 14:00post reply

Well if the last character is who I think it is then I would be down for at least one session, even though my experience with KoFXIV's netcode has ranged from barely average to underwater torture.

Yuki Yagami

123th Post

Regular Customer

"Neptune Company?" , posted Thu 29 Mar 16:40:post reply

Neptune?

Care to translate this article?

All I know right now, SNK is aggressively making their presence felt in Korea.

Also, SNK plans/creates a Korean-exclusive subsidiary called SNK Interactive. (Google translate is vague)

Another related article. Provided by Gatoray.

The article above mentioned that SNK will enter the Korean Stock Market by the second half of the year.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Thu 29 Mar 18:26]

Professor
5389th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Neptune Company?" , posted Fri 30 Mar 04:17post reply

quote:
Neptune?

Also, SNK plans/creates a Korean-exclusive subsidiary called SNK Interactive. (Google translate is vague)

The article above mentioned that SNK will enter the Korean Stock Market by the second half of the year.

Now this is a.. weird PR release.

According to the release, SNK has invested into a Korea-based game studio named Neptune Company as a part of their ongoing plan to strengthen their international business and content. SNK is also taking this opportunity to announce that they launched a Korean office named SNK Interactive last year, which together with Neptune Company will help them expand their business in Korea which they see as an important market for their future.

What's odd about this press release is that SNK hasn't disclosed any figures. We don't know how much ownership they have over Neptune.

Yuki Yagami

123th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Neptune Company?" , posted Fri 30 Mar 11:24post reply

quote:

According to the release, SNK has invested into a Korea-based game studio named Neptune Company as a part of their ongoing plan to strengthen their international business and content. SNK is also taking this opportunity to announce that they launched a Korean office named SNK Interactive last year, which together with Neptune Company will help them expand their business in Korea which they see as an important market for their future.

What's odd about this press release is that SNK hasn't disclosed any figures. We don't know how much ownership they have over Neptune.

According to a report from Ruliweb, which Gatoray posted, it roughly says 30 Billion Won (or almost 3 Billion Yen).

Also from the report, we get a history of Neptune. (Google translated with corrections based on research)

Neptune is a game company led by Jeong Wook, who is the former CEO of Hangame, and has abundant development experience and operation ability. In addition, the company has invested heavily in Bluehole Studios, the production company of the popular game "Player Unknown's Battle Ground", which is currently experiencing a global storm.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
Professor
5391th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Neptune Company?" , posted Fri 30 Mar 11:52:post reply

quote:
According to a report from Ruliweb, which Gatoray posted, it roughly says 30 Billion Won (or almost 3 Billion Yen).

I forgot about checking the Ruliweb report! thanks.

3 billion yen isn't that much as a corporate investment, so that sort of makes sense why they wouldn't nessesarily want to post up the figure on their release. Just to give a rough idea, it's a little below what the Kickstarter campaign for Megaman's suscessor-ish indies game Mighty No.9 made on its kickstarter campaign (it made 4 billion yen).

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 30 Mar 11:53]

"Re(2):Neptune Company?" , posted Fri 30 Mar 18:44post reply

quote:
Neptune?

Didn't one of the news items about thi also mention something about Neptune working on a "CaoCao" title? Wasn't that the name of one of the Asia-only Samurai Shodown mobile games from recent years?...

On the investment front itself, I wonder if it's in part to cover some requisite for listing SNK, an ostensibly Japanese company, in the Korean stock exchange - I figure having significant equity in a Korean company might help, but this is far from my field of expertise.

...!!
sibarraz
652th Post

"KOF 97 related chinese movie" , posted Sun 1 Apr 06:28post reply

Does anyone remembers an 5-10 years old chinese movie about 2 Friends who lived in rural china, played kof 97 on the arcades and then grew up? I remember being posted here a long time ago

Professor
5392th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):KOF 97 related chinese movie" , posted Sun 1 Apr 11:11post reply

quote:
Does anyone remembers an 5-10 years old chinese movie about 2 Friends who lived in rural china, played kof 97 on the arcades and then grew up? I remember being posted here a long time ago

I don't remember a movie although I recall a short promo like that which featured top player Xiaohai. Is that it?

sibarraz
653th Post

"Re(2):KOF 97 related chinese movie" , posted Mon 2 Apr 07:39post reply

quote:

I don't remember a movie although I recall a short promo like that which featured top player Xiaohai. Is that it?

No, but curiously that short comercial was similar to the movie im talking about, I will even dare to say that they pickup that particular scene from that movie by how similar it was. (Kid spends all money on KOF 97, the other Friends sells his bike to keep his friend playing, then the fathers scolds him)

The difference is that after that scene, one of the kids goes to the main town and gets a big job in an office, while the other friend ends up working in a cyber café.

LEGENOARYNINLIA
540th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):KOF 97 related chinese movie" , posted Mon 2 Apr 15:02post reply

It's called 玩大的 and you can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_0i-db3y2Y

~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
videograpple.tumblr.com/
sibarraz
654th Post

"Re(4):KOF 97 related chinese movie" , posted Mon 2 Apr 21:04post reply

quote:
It's called 玩大的 and you can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_0i-db3y2Y

THANK YOU

This was the movie, I thought that I would have never find it again

Please take all the imaginary karma that this site has

Yuki Yagami

124th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):I Shall Return..." , posted Thu 5 Apr 23:14post reply

But not Harumi Ikoma.
3rd English VAd character in KOF since Krauser and XIII Raiden?

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
Professor
5397th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):I Shall Return..." , posted Fri 6 Apr 03:29:post reply

quote:
But not Harumi Ikoma.

This Blue Mary VA is Japanese although yeah, it's certainly not Harumi Ikoma as far as my ears can tell... I wonder who it is? Also as a trivia, XIII Raiden is voiced by Daisuke Gouri who also does Bass in Koei Tecnmo's DOA series. So if you listen to them and compare, they sound very much the same!

So it's Blue Mary as expected, and the patch is coming April 12 which is next week's usual PSN update. She sort of looks like... a plastic doll...

[edit] Frontpaged it. I'm assuming the SNK Heroines news will be out around the time I wake up.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 6 Apr 03:55]

"Re(6):I Shall Return..." , posted Fri 6 Apr 03:37:post reply

FF3/RBFF theme!

Happy about what I see of the gameplay. Normals, throws, and attack throws all look decently preserved. Her new CD looks like it has some range and the new sweep looks a bit faster.

The update to her outfit is suitable, but also kind of strange. The capri pants w/ hi-tops combo make sense. The belt mystery is preserved, since now instead of wondering why she's wearing a belt at all when it doesn't fit, you just wonder what the hell it is. Is it a holster? Is it a fanny pack turned sideways? Does it contain lethal weapon or doggy treats for Anton? The top looks the same at first but on closer inspection it looks like she's wearing what appears to be a napkin underneath it, folded neatly at the corners. The lengths that SNK goes to to preserve the silhouette of characters in XIV can be so bizarre.

quote:
But not Harumi Ikoma.

Ikoma's voice has been deteriorating lately so I expected them to change VAs, but this one will take some getting used to. I'd have to hear everything to be sure but from the trailer it really sounds like her personality is toned down. It's a very dramatic change compared to how they've treated other characters.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Fri 6 Apr 03:48]

"Re(7):I Shall Return..." , posted Fri 6 Apr 04:48post reply

Hey, Blue Mary! A few quick thoughts:

I know Blue Mary has often had yellow highlights on her wrists/gloves but those bracelets don't look too good. They are floating around her arms just like her giant belt used to. Mary doesn't wear clothing, it orbits her.

To be perfectly honest I never liked Blue Mary's original voice. I'm not certain what a chipper bounty hunter with an absurdly tragic backstory is supposed to sound like but squeaky Engrish never did it for me. I already appreciate that the new VA dialed it down a bit.

KensouADV

55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):I Shall Return..." , posted Fri 6 Apr 11:31post reply

quote:
FF3/RBFF theme!

Happy about what I see of the gameplay. Normals, throws, and attack throws all look decently preserved. Her new CD looks like it has some range and the new sweep looks a bit faster.

Ikoma's voice has been deteriorating lately so I expected them to change VAs, but this one will take some getting used to. I'd have to hear everything to be sure but from the trailer it really sounds like her personality is toned down. It's a very dramatic change compared to how they've treated other characters.

I liked the new outfit. She and Vanessa are ready for some Summer missions.

But yeah, I was playing XI just now and her voice is pretty weird. I can tell it's still Ikoma but it feels even more "squeaky". I fear for her losing her job with Charlotte in the future.

Also, I didn't catch all her holds. The EX one is clearly her feint into a grab but besides the counter(Geese), M.Spider (Alice), the charge one(Andy) and after the vertical slicer(Terry). I need to play RB2, 2002UM and 98UMFE to see if I can find the others.

Professor
5397th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):I Shall Return..." , posted Fri 6 Apr 12:37post reply

quote:
FF3/RBFF theme!

I liked the new outfit. She and Vanessa are ready for some Summer missions.

But yeah, I was playing XI just now and her voice is pretty weird. I can tell it's still Ikoma but it feels even more "squeaky". I fear for her losing her job with Charlotte in the future.

Also, I didn't catch all her holds. The EX one is clearly her feint into a grab but besides the counter(Geese), M.Spider (Alice), the charge one(Andy) and after the vertical slicer(Terry). I need to play RB2, 2002UM and 98UMFE to see if I can find the others.

I think the one against joe might be a new move in place of her M.Reverse Headlock counter move. Maybe.

Yuki Yagami

126th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):I Shall Return..." , posted Fri 6 Apr 15:21:post reply

quote:
But not Harumi Ikoma.

This Blue Mary VA is Japanese although yeah, it's certainly not Harumi Ikoma as far as my ears can tell... I wonder who it is? Also as a trivia, XIII Raiden is voiced by Daisuke Gouri who also does Bass in Koei Tecnmo's DOA series. So if you listen to them and compare, they sound very much the same!

I believe he was replaced by Iain Gibb in KOF XIII after he died unfortunately. Daisuke Gouri voiced Raiden in KOF XII, not XIII.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Fri 6 Apr 15:24]

Professor
5398th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):I Shall Return..." , posted Fri 6 Apr 19:06post reply

quote:
I believe he was replaced by Iain Gibb in KOF XIII after he died unfortunately. Daisuke Gouri voiced Raiden in KOF XII, not XIII.

Aye that's right! Thanks for the correction.

Also, it's been confirmed that Ikoma in fact is not doing Blue Mary's voice. The character VA for 14 is Sarah Emi Bridcutt who's best known for roles in Chaos:Child and Kantai Collection. I've updated MMCafe's article with voice samples for anyone interested.

Yuki Yagami

126th Post

Regular Customer

"SNK at PAX East" , posted Sat 7 Apr 02:08post reply

- SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
- Metal Slug XX for PlayStation 4
-

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Shermie!

End of Spoiler

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
Professor
5400th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):SNK at PAX East" , posted Sat 7 Apr 02:22:post reply

quote:
- SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
- Metal Slug XX for PlayStation 4
-

The archive is now up so I've toppaged an article. We'll probably be getting a reaction video from Gunsmith of Orochinagi who's a huge fan, lol.
[edit]looks like he already did

Adam was sounding really hoarse and out of energy. Hope he's alright.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 7 Apr 02:31]

Yuki Yagami

127th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):SNK at PAX East" , posted Sat 7 Apr 03:41post reply

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection main site is up.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

"Re(1):SNK at PAX East" , posted Sat 7 Apr 04:07post reply

Just a random thought, but is SNK Heroines going to have only one stage?

While it seems a silly thought... The Nakoruru reveal trailer does say that they are fighting inside a mansion, all the trailers so far have used I believe the same stage, SNK is probably spending its graphical efforts on making additional outfits, and this isn't exactly a game that looks like it has had much effort spent on graphics in the first place. Under those circumstances, would they actually consider shipping a fighting game that has only one stage?

Just a Person
1955th Post

"Re(6):I Shall Return..." , posted Sat 7 Apr 06:45post reply

quote:
But not Harumi Ikoma.

Damn, only saw this now...

It's a pity that Kasumi wasn't added (and probably won't ever be), but I'm really happy to see Mary back! It's actually surprising that she wasn't in XIV from the beginning, considering how popular she is and that she was in pretty much every KOF game since '97 (except XIII - I'm not counting XII as an actual game).

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.
KensouADV

57th Post

Occasional Customer

"C You Soon and Rollback" , posted Tue 10 Apr 22:01:post reply

Yeah Professor, I think it's a new animation for her counter. Well, we'll see in just a few days. While I would like her having a few moves from the Real Bout games and her old command normal from '98, she looks good and might be fun to mix my teams again.

quote:
Just a random thought, but is SNK Heroines going to have only one stage?

While it seems a silly thought... The Nakoruru reveal trailer does say that they are fighting inside a mansion, all the trailers so far have used I believe the same stage, SNK is probably spending its graphical efforts on making additional outfits, and this isn't exactly a game that looks like it has had much effort spent on graphics in the first place. Under those circumstances, would they actually consider shipping a fighting game that has only one stage?

Well, the second stage was actually revealed during the Nakoruru trailer. You can see both being available during the gameplay showed at the WFN a few weeks ago. Blame KukriSandel Dark for having the same decorations in his mansion. But I hope to see some variety like the gardens, rooftops or maybe stuff from the comics like a bar or caves. Be in mind that we might have Luong using a schoolgirl outfit announced in the coming weeks.

And yeah, just like "Just a Person", after Mary and Shermie the only one I'm missing is Kasumi (since I have no hope for my boy Brian to come flying again anytime soon). Now I'm crossing my fingers to get Shermie with airdashes and actual combos in XIV maybe later this year or part of the next possible DLC (the files X-Kira pointed still mention Hinako, Jubei and Shingo, right?) so maybe XIV is still in their plans while SNK develops a new non-KOF console mainline game for the first time in the decade (please).

In other news, CodeMystics is considering updating all their SNK ports with rollback netcode. They are testing in their recently released KOF'97GM for Steam and I don't know about how is the reception of the online experience in SNK games in Japan but here, comparing their usual input delay implemmentation to rollback-based games like Skullgirls, the IronGalaxy ports of Capcom games, MKXL and even non-official emulators like Fightcade are night and day of difference that lets me play people from accross the ocean while I can't play KOFXIV with people further than Argentina without feeling nostalgic from the times I was in the Water Temple of Ocarina of Time.

So, if this goes well, what are the chances of SNK at least letting them update 98UMFE and 2002UM as a part of a celebration of the 20 years of their first dreammatch?

[this message was edited by KensouADV on Wed 11 Apr 05:10]

Professor
5400th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):C You Soon and Rollback" , posted Tue 10 Apr 22:24post reply

quote:
I don't know about how is the reception of the online experience in SNK games in Japan but here, comparing their usual input delay implemmentation to rollback-based games like Skullgirls, the IronGalaxy ports of Capcom games, MKXL and even non-official emulators like Fightcade are night and day of difference that lets me play people from accross the ocean while I can't play KOFXIV with people further than Argentina without feeling nostalgic from the times I was in the Water Temple of Ocarina of Time.

It really depends.

For example KOF14's input-lag based netcode is relatively fine, but sometimes the synch is horrendous and needs to be fixed by going back to the lobby.

On the other hand, SFV is known for rollback netcode, but it's been implemented so horribly that even within japan it's still a jittery mess.

Skullgirls though, its impelentation is so good that it feels almoat off-line.

"Re(2):C You Soon only on Switch" , posted Tue 10 Apr 22:56post reply

It sounds as if the western release of SNK Heroines will only have a physical version on the Switch. I guess this PS4 collector's edition will be a big loot box of junk without an actual game.

Yuki Yagami

128th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):C You Soon only on Switch" , posted Wed 11 Apr 03:31post reply

quote:
It sounds as if the western release of SNK Heroines will only have a physical version on the Switch. I guess this PS4 collector's edition will be a big loot box of junk without an actual game.

I do not know what is going on here...

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
sibarraz
655th Post

"Re(4):C You Soon only on Switch" , posted Wed 11 Apr 22:41post reply

quote:

I do not know what is going on here...

Did SNK have a marketing deal for this game with Sony or they developed only for the PS4 only because it was the smarter business decision back then?

Is weird to see people saying that SNK backstabbed Sony, but is no weird to see some PS fanboys being butthurt about their company being put on second plane

"Re(5):C You Soon only on Switch" , posted Wed 11 Apr 23:50post reply

Wow, I have no idea what just happened. But considering how quickly that groveling correction came out I doubt we will hear anything else since I get the feeling all the parties involved want to ignore that incident.

"Rocking that animation" , posted Thu 12 Apr 08:41post reply

A good case for why appeal and craftsmanship in fighting games need not have anything to do with gameplay

Nice to see him tackle an animation video by focusing on positives this time.

...!!

"Re(1):Rocking that animation" , posted Fri 13 Apr 00:32post reply

quote:
A good case for why appeal and craftsmanship in fighting games need not have anything to do with gameplay

Nice to see him tackle an animation video by focusing on positives this time.

I like that he was mostly positive but still occasionally slipped into comparisons that amounted to "See how nice this used to look as opposed to kids today with their bad animation and loud music!" Old habits die hard, I guess.

Speaking of characters getting updated from their pixel form, has anyone had a chance to try out the KoF14 3.0? Any thoughts?

"Re(2):Rocking that animation" , posted Fri 13 Apr 05:22post reply

quote:
Speaking of characters getting updated from their pixel form, has anyone had a chance to try out the KoF14 3.0? Any thoughts?

On the topic of animation, Mary lacks "oomph". The extra care put into Rock is probably a one-off deal.

I think it is a global issue with KOFXIV in that moves in general don't look or sound like they hurt. Movements are either sluggish or rapid, making them feel like hollow hits. Nothing is done with the animation to help sell the moves. Nor are the sound nor visual fx helping in this matter.

I find the new VA for Mary to be a bit of a downgrade over classic Harumi Ikoma. For me, the new VA is the audio equivalent of KOFXIV animation, lacking impact (which only further undermines the moves themselves.) The energy is too muted, as if it were being phoned in. It is kind of like a lethargic person trying to be energetic?

Wii: NNID:sfried
Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Rocking that animation" , posted Fri 13 Apr 14:01post reply

quote:
I like that he was mostly positive but still occasionally slipped into comparisons that amounted to "See how nice this used to look as opposed to kids today with their bad animation and loud music!" Old habits die hard, I guess.

He did mention Arc System Works, and also Rock Howard's keyed-in jacket animation in the recent KoF (and why he argues modern fighting games shouldn't be reliant on physics simulation for animation, as is the case here).

"Re(3):SNK at PAX East" , posted Fri 13 Apr 20:17post reply

quote:

I'm writing the text for this game!

"Re(3):Rocking that animation" , posted Sat 14 Apr 00:10post reply

quote:

On the topic of animation, Mary lacks "oomph". The extra care put into Rock is probably a one-off deal.

I think it is a global issue with KOFXIV in that moves in general don't look or sound like they hurt. Movements are either sluggish or rapid, making them feel like hollow hits. Nothing is done with the animation to help sell the moves. Nor are the sound nor visual fx helping in this matter.

I find the new VA for Mary to be a bit of a downgrade over classic Harumi Ikoma. For me, the new VA is the audio equivalent of KOFXIV animation, lacking impact (which only further undermines the moves themselves.) The energy is too muted, as if it were being phoned in. It is kind of like a lethargic person trying to be energetic?

KoF14 has the unfortunate problem of being built in a way that emphasizes the flaws of the series. The animation in KoF was always strained, which is probably one of the reasons that the series favors stoic characters who don't have a lot of extraneous movement. What made the action work more often than not was little things like the screen flashing during DM's and the sound effects. Those were crunchy sounding hits! In contrast, the hits in 14 sound muted. Combine this with endless max combos and attacks feel like slap fests as opposed to a flurry of attacks punctuated with a burst of power like you would find in older games. While I'm glad they are still supporting 14 I wish SNK would work on a new title that would let them do a better job with the presentation.

quote:
He did mention Arc System Works, and also Rock Howard's keyed-in jacket animation in the recent KoF (and why he argues modern fighting games shouldn't be reliant on physics simulation for animation, as is the case here).

Wasn't Yasuyuki Oda one of the main movers and shakers on Garou? His nostalgia might be the reason Rock received so much more attention than the rest of the 14 cast.

"Re(4):Rocking that animation" , posted Sat 14 Apr 06:21:post reply

quote:
KoF14 has the unfortunate problem of being built in a way that emphasizes the flaws of the series. The animation in KoF was always strained, which is probably one of the reasons that the series favors stoic characters who don't have a lot of extraneous movement. What made the action work more often than not was little things like the screen flashing during DM's and the sound effects. Those were crunchy sounding hits! In contrast, the hits in 14 sound muted. Combine this with endless max combos and attacks feel like slap fests as opposed to a flurry of attacks punctuated with a burst of power like you would find in older games. While I'm glad they are still supporting 14 I wish SNK would work on a new title that would let them do a better job with the presentation.

It makes me almost curious enough to put in the work to experiment... Record some video, then replace the audio, then throw in some video effects, and see what changes... Instead, I looked at some YouTube videos of Mary in previous games, to see how much of my memory is rose-colored glasses.

I see a variety of issues at hand combining in KOF XIV:

1) Character animation
2) Extra animation (clothing, hair, etc)
3) Visual effects (hit sparks, particles, screen flashes, screen shake, etc)
4) Sound effects (hit sounds, voice clips)
5) Unique/expressive elements of characters being simplified or removed over years of KOF releases

For the first, KOF XIV animation too often reminds me of mannequins.

For the second, Mary has traditionally had three areas of extra animation. KOF XIV pretty much universally fails to animate hair beyond the tips. (Even Rock falls short in this area.) KOF XIV presumably uses procedural physics to animate Mary's breasts. And KOF XIV Mary appears to have shrink wrapped her belt to her jeans. In place of the belt being animated, KOF XIV attaches a barely visible physics-driven tassel to her belt.

For the third, KOF XIV relies on generic indistinct particle effects for hit sparks, while abandoning screen flashes and screen shakes.

That fifth one is perhaps more important than one might think, as it directly affects the first, second and third factors. KOF titles are big games with a lot of characters, and sacrifices get made.

Okay, this is starting to go on a bit of a tangent, but I believe it is important to the current state of KOF XIV.

I found an watched a YouTube video, "Blue Mary: Evolution (1995-2007)". For me, there are striking differences between Fatal Fury Blue Mary and latter-day KOF Blue Mary. FF Blue Mary simply appears to be animated more expressively than KOF Blue Mary. You have the exaggerated animations of the intro pose and taunt, you have the flower particle motif to her super, and her moves just appear to sell themselves better.

This is where things got a bit interesting for me, though. When you look at Fatal Fury, you can see just how much effort was put into selling the impact of Mary's holds. I decided to do a quick and dirty frame-advance comparison of the arm-break follow-up to her Spin Fall in Real Bout Fatal Fury and KOF XI. (I would guess that KOF XI was the primary source material for KOFXIV Mary.) To clarify, the period I studied was immediately after the Spin Fall's kick ends to the point right before Mary releases the hold. I did not include either the Spin Fall itself or the recovery after the hold is released.

I expected the XI version to be shorter, and to use fewer frames of animation. I found two big surprises. The XI version was not only a few frames longer, it used nearly the same number of unique animation frames. So how does the XI animation manage to come up short against the RB version? What I'd previously thought was a case of sacrificing unique frames of animation instead seems, in this case, to be more a mis-use of the available frames.

Even though the characters when standing are roughly the same size, RB Mary "feels" bigger than KOF Mary, as if she's more active and more willing to occupy screen space. This is itself honestly a bit weird, as the KOF frames look fine on their own. Sometimes they even look better than the related RB frame. But the KOF frames feel a bit more utilitarian, precise and restrained. And there honestly is more movement in the RB version. Mary is flying through the air. At the peak of her transition, her lower legs are off the top of the screen while the XI version remains fully onscreen.

Second, RB Mary recycles frames to get more animation during the impact of the takedown as well as the break. For example, while continuing to use the same sprite elements and while the lower half remains in place, Mary's upper body gets shifted down a pixel or two to sell the impact of hitting the ground. Or take the arm hold and break, where the animation repeatedly loops between two different frames in order to sell the strain in the hold.

Third, as Ishmael alluded to, XI relies entirely on extra visual effects to sell the break itself. For the actual arm break, XI Mary holds the same pose for thirteen frames as a seven frame hit spark effect plays, and a hit sound is played. The interesting bit is that RB Mary holds her final pose for eight frames, doesn't get a fancy hit spark, and doesn't even get a real "break" sound effect, but her animation feels more "real". Why? Because for RB Mary the action was already performed in the preceding frames, and the eight frame "hold" comes off as extra time put into the hold after the damage was already done.

And while I said I wasn't focusing on the recovery, there is a striking visual difference there which deserves a mention. Both games end up with Mary and the victim on opposite sides of the screen, the difference is in how this is achieved. In RBFF, Mary leaps away from the victim after releasing the hold. In XI, Mary stays in place after releasing the hold, while the victim magically flies across the screen. It just looks silly.

EDIT: I managed to leave a couple of things out of this already long post.

One the subject of Mary's arm bar in RBFF versus KOF XI, I also wanted to call attention to the arm bar pose itself. In RBFF, Mary is near perpendicular to the victim, and is on the screen side of the victim. This gives the player a closer view of Mary as she performs the hold (while the not quite perpendicular angle gives you clearer view of the hold). As Mary leans back, she tilts her head even further back, giving a clear view of her facial expression. Both the leaning back and the facial expression itself help sell the effort of the hold. In comparison, in KOF XI, Mary is nearly parallel to the victim and on the background side of the victim. This puts Mary at a bit more distance, and also give a poor view of her face as she leans back.

On another note, watching Mary's throws in the reveal trailer gives a somewhat different feeling than actually performing them in play. I wonder if this is an effect of, as Ishmael put it, the endless combos and slap fights of actual gameplay. In the reveal trailer, you get the various moves on their own, separate of other action. In gameplay, you get them surrounded by "slap fight" combos.

[this message was edited by Baines on Sat 14 Apr 14:34]

"Re(5):Rocking that analysis" , posted Sun 15 Apr 07:36post reply

Kudos to Baines for that breakdown of the evolution (or de-evolution) of Mary's attacks!

I don't have anything nearly so impressive to contribute but here's a few quick thoughts on the new characters:

Blue Mary: Yup, that's Mary. It looks like she's traded in her giant novelty belt for a gunslinger belt. It's slightly more realistic albeit equally impractical. Now all she needs is to strap on a six-shooter and she's ready for a crossover with either Red Dead Redemption 2 or Wild Guns Reloaded.

Heidern: Yikes, he seems strong!

Najd: I'll be curious to see how others develop her because right now I don't quite see how she's supposed to be played. At least her projectile super where she throws inky Pac-Men at her opponent seems fast and useful.

Oswald: He lost some of his visual mojo in transferring over to 3D but he seems to play the same. I like how the designers of KoF14 added things like auto combos to make the game accessible to new players but then filled the roster with wildly complex characters like Oswald and Angel.

Also of note is that one of the background characters from Monaco is recycled for the new stage. Remember the bear that keeps popping up in SF5 to cheer on the matches? KoF14 has a bear in the background as well except he's wearing a pink t-shirt.

KensouADV

58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Rocking that animation" , posted Sun 15 Apr 10:33:post reply

quote:

For the second, Mary has traditionally had three areas of extra animation. KOF XIV pretty much universally fails to animate hair beyond the tips. (Even Rock falls short in this area.) KOF XIV presumably uses procedural physics to animate Mary's breasts. And KOF XIV Mary appears to have shrink wrapped her belt to her jeans. In place of the belt being animated, KOF XIV attaches a barely visible physics-driven tassel to her belt.

There's no "procedural physics" used in XIV as far as I know if the devs statement about Leona's hair and... appendages are anything to go by and her "static" appearance during the beta builds. Same to Rock Howard's clothes otherwise, they really love to bully Kim and his pants.

And Mary looks to be based more on her 2002UM version with her ability to do her command normal with both , and her taser. Both are not available in XI who she is more of a "standard KOF" moveset. She also has her old '98 command normal back and she doesn't need to bring her inner Akuma/Gouki from Fatal Fury days(and 2002) to input her M. Dynamite Swing using the regular /

XI is also known for having really weird juggle properties on character's moves and a "floaty" feeling for everybody and many cut frames in animations to the point of the usual and throws being the same thing but mirrored giving a really cheap feeling with all the cut animation while Shion have everything for himself but is banned for every serious attempt to versus play.

While I don't doubt about your description about the differences about her holds between Fatal Fury and KOF, it makes me wonder if Oda's first job at SNK by being the training dummy so the team have a grasp about how to make the moves for its characters was also used by the KOF team during the old days.

quote:

Interesting. So can we expect more than a bunch of ROMs and a loader? Anyway, good luck for you.

[this message was edited by KensouADV on Sun 15 Apr 11:25]

"Re(6):Rocking that animation" , posted Sun 15 Apr 13:45post reply

quote:
There's no "procedural physics" used in XIV as far as I know if the devs statement about Leona's hair and... appendages are anything to go by and her "static" appearance during the beta builds.

I haven't seen the dev statements.

You are right in that it probably isn't procedural physics in the manner that we've come to associate the term. If you say "procedural physics" these days, people think of stuff like SFV Chun-Li's "propeller" breast animation, or its sometimes wonky hair animations. But procedural physics covers more territory than just that.

Further, I probably shouldn't have said "physics", and just left it at procedural. Though to be fair, that is a bit of a cheat. Automatic interpolation between keyframes is itself procedural animation, after all.

I'd cite Leona's hair as evidence that there is some measure of procedural animation at play in KOF XIV, simply because I cannot see an animator intentionally setting out to create her hair's behavior during her walk-back animation. Animators should know that slowly walking backwards does not make a pony tail extend parallel to the ground like a windsock in a storm. It is an animation that seems more likely created by accident than intention, as if they just set the hair bone to be "pulled" by the head in that situation.

Yes, Leona's hair snaps directly to a new position when she changes states, but that doesn't rule out the existence of procedural animation within an individual state. The same can be said for other extra elements, like Mary's tassel.

As with Leona's hair, some of it comes down to just not wanting to believe it was entirely intentionally hand-keyed. I don't know that I'd see someone bothering to meticulously hand-key Mary's tassel. (And if you were to do so, then why did you remove the oversized belt in the first place? The main reason to remove the belt would be because you didn't want to deal with the extra animation issues.) At the same time, some of the bust idle animations are smoother than the actual move animations, to the point that if the bust animations were meticulously created then why wasn't that effort spent elsewhere.

quote:
And Mary looks to be based more on her 2002UM version with her ability to do her command normal with both , and her taser. Both are not available in XI who she is more of a "standard KOF" moveset.

I never actually played XI, so I only had video to go by as a comparison, and didn't even think of 2002UM as a viable source.

quote:
XI is also known for having really weird juggle properties on character's moves and a "floaty" feeling for everybody and many cut frames in animations to the point of the usual and throws being the same thing but mirrored giving a really cheap feeling with all the cut animation

That is why I was surprised when I actually took a more detailed look at the throw animation. From the look, I expected to find significantly fewer unique frames in the XI animation, but it was a comparable amount. It was more that XI didn't use the frames that it had as effectively as RBFF did. Some was probably that some of the throw frames were actually being recycled from elsewhere, but it was also the pose and the general flow of the animation.

It does make me wonder both how the same animation appears in previous KOF games, as well as how other moves compare.

I really wish that I had the time to devote to the exercise, as I'm becoming increasingly curious.

Professor
5402th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Rocking that analysis" , posted Sun 15 Apr 14:01post reply

quote:

Preorder now to Feed Exodus!

That almost reminds me-- the original NeoGeo cab sticks are no longer producable because the manufacturer (Seimitsu) doesn't have the mold any more. However at this year's Jaepo they had a sample that reworks the more recent sticks under the same specs.

quote:
Kudos to Baines for that breakdown of the evolution (or de-evolution) of Mary's attacks!

I don't have anything nearly so impressive to contribute but here's a few quick thoughts on the new characters:

Same here. Time to call in nobi!!

Baines-- that's a REALLY GREAT writeup on Blue Mary's animation!! I'm going to need to check out the older Marys and take a step-by-step look at what you've written because it's certainly has me curious too. Thanks!

"Re(7):Rocking that analysis" , posted Sun 15 Apr 21:14post reply

quote:

That almost reminds me-- the original NeoGeo cab sticks are no longer producable because the manufacturer (Seimitsu) doesn't have the mold any more. However at this year's Jaepo they had a sample that reworks the more recent sticks under the same specs.

I'm curious about this!! I wonder whether they can't just tear it down and remake the thing? It's expensive I guess. It'd also be useful if we could buy original parts - I have a stick with the controller port chewed off.............

Professor
5403th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):Rocking that analysis" , posted Sun 15 Apr 23:57post reply

quote:

I'm curious about this!! I wonder whether they can't just tear it down and remake the thing? It's expensive I guess. It'd also be useful if we could buy original parts - I have a stick with the controller port chewed off.............

Quickhand answer is they can't rework a mold out of hardware pieces (I've asked!) They do sell by-the-parts so it's more a question of whether the part you need is actually still available. On a side note, the switches that the company uses for their sticks went out of production somewhere last year or the year before. More recent shipments uses a different switch manufacturer. Nothing lasts forever I guess!

Yuki Yagami

129th Post

Regular Customer

"SNK Teasing Something?" , posted Thu 19 Apr 14:45post reply

SNK is hinting something. It's not a new game though.

My money is on the NeoGeo Mini.

End of Spoiler

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
sibarraz
656th Post

"Re(1):SNK Teasing Something?" , posted Thu 19 Apr 22:43post reply

I wish than SNK could change the name of Guerilla War for Guevara, if feel like the original name gaves the game a more powerful meaning and a better context

quote:
SNK is hinting something. It's not a new game though.

Im not that excited to buy a 1p cabinet, but the fact that is an SNK official prouduct would make it worthy

"Re(2):SNK Teasing Something?" , posted Thu 19 Apr 23:11post reply

Oh no, don't tell me that's the outline of a minicab. If so, they might as well call it the Neo Geo XX since it's probably going to be about as successful.

kikkoken
1198th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):SNK Teasing Something?" , posted Fri 20 Apr 05:30post reply

I'll buy it if it's a mini neogeo with the complete catalogue (or some hackable thing àla NES mini) AND a proper replica of the controller, a two set, at that. But by the look of the cloaked item, it would have to be a mini console and two joysticks piled on top of each other, which is hardly probable. Still can't wait to see it in the nude.

"Neo Neo-Geo?" , posted Fri 20 Apr 07:44post reply

quote:
Oh no, don't tell me that's the outline of a minicab. If so, they might as well call it the Neo Geo XX since it's probably going to be about as successful.

Could it be Neo Neo-Geo? It's probably Neo-Geo Mini. However, Could it lead them into being back in arcade business considering their interest with Chinese market potential and also people's interest in consoles?

Definitely Neo-Geo Mini.

End of Spoiler

Professor
5410th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Neo Neo-Geo?" , posted Sat 21 Apr 13:48:post reply

quote:

It would be so jolly if we're unveiled to see a NeoGeo CD placed vertically
Oh the Monkey!

Putting that aside, I was talking with Gunsmith about the recent Ver3.0 patch and whether it actually improved user interest beyond hardcore players just tweeting their findings on social media.

Checking the online, I was surprised to see that for at least the Japanese side of things, there were 15 lobbies last night-- which is something I haven't seen since the first months in the game's launch. It'd be biased to ignore noting that it was a Friday night and there were only 2-3 players per lobby on average. But still, that's a lot of lobbies for a game that's niche within a niche genre, and almost reaching its 2nd year.

DLC certainly helped, as there were also single character lobbies, which I haven't seen in quite some time.

On the other hand, there weren't any 6-player party game rooms, which for the most part are preferred by the casual players.

This will probably just last for a week or two, my guess.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 21 Apr 13:54]

KensouADV

59th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):SNK Labo?" , posted Sun 22 Apr 06:18:post reply

quote:

I haven't seen the dev statements.
[...]
As with Leona's hair, some of it comes down to just not wanting to believe it was entirely intentionally hand-keyed. I don't know that I'd see someone bothering to meticulously hand-key Mary's tassel. (And if you were to do so, then why did you remove the oversized belt in the first place? The main reason to remove the belt would be because you didn't want to deal with the extra animation issues.) At the same time, some of the bust idle animations are smoother than the actual move animations, to the point that if the bust animations were meticulously created then why wasn't that effort spent elsewhere.

Can't really back up on the "devs statements" since it was Atlus answering in one of their earlier streams. But maybe there's both "hand-made" animations and "physics" in the characters. But as why the breasts of the females are better animated than other stuff, I would just call priorities . Rock should be enough of an example that they can do it if they want it.

quote:
It does make me wonder both how the same animation appears in previous KOF games, as well as how other moves compare.

Considering this is KOF and Blue Mary never had a change in her outfit, these are probably the same animations ever since 1997.

------------------------------------

About the Neo-Geo mini stuff I wouldn't put past this is just SNK's take on the new Labo frenzy to play Exodus's new game.

And about 3.0, I can only say about the Steam version for now but there's a regular number of lobbies to play with south americans. Shame the port of the game is so iffy and I need to rely on mods to "downgrade" the game and have a stable experience. Also, although the new stuff like universal rolls are good I still miss stuff like the slowdowns on the last KO, special intros outside of the story stuff and specially some kind of ending for Najd since all I know about her is that she's a little too of an hypocrite and bloodlust for a so-called JUSTICE warrior.

At least it's not like 2002UM that have random slowdowns no matter who I play so I pray that SNK see the positive feedback '97GM received with its netcode update. By the way Professor, do you know anything about SNK if they even know about this since I only see they promoting stuff like being able to change the menu music to one of the OST (when you can mod the AST in already (menu only)) instead of a much better online experience than in previous games.

[this message was edited by KensouADV on Sun 22 Apr 06:19]

"Re(8):SNK Labo?" , posted Mon 23 Apr 02:05post reply

quote:

About the Neo-Geo mini stuff I wouldn't put past this is just SNK's take on the new Labo frenzy to play Exodus'

hah!! that would be good.

well, "good."

Neo0r0chiaku
388th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):SNK Labo?" , posted Mon 23 Apr 11:24post reply

Well there is also this that just came out and circulating among Neogeo enthusiasts!

Long Live I AM!
Lord SNK
286th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(10):SNK Labo?" , posted Tue 24 Apr 03:02post reply

quote:
Well there is also this that just came out and circulating among Neogeo enthusiasts!

I have recently saw something similar (but I don't remember where I found the link, reddit probably), this Jamma Nation X CMVS, but they are not accepting new orders.
Are they the same people?

Professor
5410th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):SNK Labo?" , posted Tue 24 Apr 18:00post reply

quote:
By the way Professor, do you know anything about SNK if they even know about this since I only see they promoting stuff like being able to change the menu music to one of the OST (when you can mod the AST in already (menu only)) instead of a much better online experience than in previous games.

If the game is getting good reviews for its netcode, SNK most likely knows about it. However, netcode quality is strongly subjective and also relatively reliant on best effort on the client side. So it's difficult for publishers to use as an advertisement.

KensouADV

59th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Samurai Destiny!" , posted Wed 25 Apr 11:10post reply

quote:
If the game is getting good reviews for its netcode, SNK most likely knows about it. However, netcode quality is strongly subjective and also relatively reliant on best effort on the client side. So it's difficult for publishers to use as an advertisement.

That's the thing. Most reviews are from the release of the game and many complain about "features" of the original ROM like slowdowns and the lack of a training mode (they still could've pulled of with dipswitches and savestates like Capcom's ports) and even talk about the old input delay netcode. Few more recent ones are the ones that mention the new revamped online experience. Most of the feedback comes from the thread in the forums.

By the way, if Neo_G is not working on a new Samurai game, I don't know what he has been doing since the 2.00 update last year.

Get ready to see Ukyo with a really sharp chin if this is made by the same guys who handled KOF Destiny.

Lord SNK
287th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Samurai Destiny!" , posted Thu 26 Apr 00:19post reply

Here is the trailer for the new SS game

"Re(3):Samurai Destiny!" , posted Thu 26 Apr 00:53post reply

quote:

Ah yes I loved SS64!

Wait no I didn't what.

"Re(4):Samurai Destiny!" , posted Thu 26 Apr 21:59post reply

I like how what I presume is the player character drops dead while Mizuki is doing nothing in particular.

Lord SNK
290th Post

Copper Customer

"Heroines" , posted Wed 2 May 02:58post reply

Zarina and Sylvie in Tag Team Frenzy!

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Heroines" , posted Wed 2 May 08:53:post reply

quote:

Sigh, so much for Cham Cham making it in, at least as far as the initial cast goes.

[this message was edited by Abster on Wed 2 May 08:56]

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(2):Heroines" , posted Wed 2 May 18:18post reply

quote:
Sigh, so much for Cham Cham making it in, at least as far as the initial cast goes.

On the other hand, do we really want to see Cham Cham in a sexy torn bikini.

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Heroines" , posted Wed 2 May 20:42post reply

quote:

We already have the horrors of seeing that with BLADE's work in Queen's Gate Spiral Chaos.

On the silhouette it looked like she might've been wearing a cowboy hat. Would've been an amusing over the top take on the character imo.

Just a Person
1965th Post

"Re(4):Samurai Destiny!" , posted Wed 2 May 22:52:post reply

quote:

How come I didn't find out about this trailer before?? Wow, SS coming back is great news!

---

quote:
Ah yes I loved SS64!

Wait no I didn't what.

Yeah, the graphics look quite bad, even for KOF XIV and SNK Heroines standards.

Then again, KOF XIV showed that a game with dated graphics can still be fun...

---

EDIT: oh, it seems it's just a licensed MMORPG... okay, then.

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Wed 2 May 23:30]

Lord SNK
291th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Heroines" , posted Thu 3 May 03:24post reply

quote:

quote:
On the silhouette it looked like she might've been wearing a cowboy hat. Would've been an amusing over the top take on the character imo.

I wanted to see her in that silhoutte too, despite the odds.
It would have been a more interesting pick / welcome repechage from past games, than the obvious 1:1 port of the female cast from XIV.
Well, at least we can console with Shermie as a new entry... (I don't remember if other new entries where already shown)

quote:

Surely I prefer her to Zarina or Sylvie possibly wearing a spotted bikini or worse.

At this point I want Iori to be in the game to console me of the absence of Cham Cham

neo0r0chiaku
392th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Heroines" , posted Thu 3 May 05:26post reply

quote:

The recent talks of Cham Cham gave me memories of Aisha ClanClan of the Ctarl-Ctarl from the anime Outlaw Star. I wonder if Cham Cham up close personality is the same as Aisha!

Long Live I AM!
Kikkoken
1203th Post

"Re(3):Heroines" , posted Thu 3 May 19:05post reply

Dear SNK, here’s my wish-list for your forthcoming SNK Heroines games:
For the thrill, Chizuru in an S&M outfit and stilettos. For a laugh, Hinako in thongs and a bandeau bra (and pedobear titty stickers for her alt). Blue Mary in a car-wash bikini, for more conventional moods. May Lee in a sexy frog suit, for it stands to reason. Kasumi in her usual Kasumi clothes, because she’ll never be booty anyway, but cool nevertheless. Angel in her usual Angel … things, because she can’t get any bootier anyway. Miss X for old times’ sake, Benimaru with his hair down to rekindle the old buzz.

Yuki Yagami

131th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Heroines" , posted Thu 3 May 19:37:post reply

Thank to some Twitter "sleuths", the rest of the roster is revealed... except one...

The remaining characters are:

Luong
Mian (based on the pins, between Zarina and Shermie)
Mui Mui (status unknown after SNK Heroines is released)
Love Heart (probably her last SNK game appearance)

This leaves out one more character.

She seems to have a long ponytail, wearing bracelets and a vest.

While people I asked insist it's Fio, I had my doubts.
- She looks tall
- has long hair tied to a ponytail. She has long hair, if untied. Fio had a shorter ponytail compared to the one in the silhouette.
- may or may not be her classic costume in the silhouette

My potential guesses are Yuki (Gekka no Kenshi), B. Jenet, Chizuru Kagura or even Kasumi Todoh.

NOTE: Unless that's Love Heart using her Magic Sword, the pin at the right of Leona is probably Yuki. But...

If it was Yuki in the silhouette, she's not carrying her polearm, but then again, Mai does not carry her fans and Nakoruru uses her dagger replacement in the group picture.

That's where Chizuru or Jenet comes into the equation.

Definitely, it's hard to tell.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Thu 3 May 19:42]

"Re(4):Heroines" , posted Thu 3 May 19:47post reply

The fact that several female characters from KOF14 (including sexy fanart stables like Angel and Vanessa) are missing the game is puzzling. The budget must really be small...
Chances are Shermie is the only "new" character. Now port her to KOF14, and the recycling will be complete!

Kikkoken
1207th Post

"Re(5):Heroines" , posted Thu 3 May 20:15post reply

So much for my wish-list, lol! I can't believe there is so much of the KOFXIV cast. Given the current physiognomy of the game, they might as well have made it a DLC extra mode in KOFXIV and called it a day. As is, it seems like an abridged version + glitz of the PS4 KOFXIV specially desgined for newcomers.

Yuki Yagami

132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Heroines" , posted Thu 3 May 20:40:post reply

quote:
The fact that several female characters from KOF14 (including sexy fanart stables like Angel and Vanessa) are missing the game is puzzling. The budget must really be small...
Chances are Shermie is the only "new" character. Now port her to KOF14, and the recycling will be complete!

quote:
So much for my wish-list, lol! I can't believe there is so much of the KOFXIV cast. Given the current physiognomy of the game, they might as well have made it a DLC extra mode in KOFXIV and called it a day. As is, it seems like an abridged version + glitz of the PS4 KOFXIV specially desgined for newcomers.

There are at least 15 more unlockable characters (if the character select screen is referred), post-release. But we shall see.

Only two non-KOF XIV characters, Shermie and the other one, in the initial roster.

If the other one is Yuki, I might call the non-XIV SNK Heroines characters "Double Nishikawa" (a reference to their former seiyuu, Hazuki Nishikawa).

EDIT: I get a feeling that the last character (whoever she is) is probably wearing the infamous "Fatal Cutie" cap in-game.

Also, Iggy, I joked about the KOF XIV 4.0 DLC being "revealed" after Shermie was announced. (Shermie, Shingo, Hinako and Jubei, with the last 3 based on X-Kira's data)

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Thu 3 May 20:44]

KensouADV

61th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Heroines" , posted Fri 4 May 00:53:post reply

quote:

Also, Iggy, I joked about the KOF XIV 4.0 DLC being "revealed" after Shermie was announced. (Shermie, Shingo, Hinako and Jubei, with the last 3 based on X-Kira's data)

I helped Kira to translate his findings to english. The slots found were for Heidern, Yamada (Jubei), Oswald, (Blue) Mary, Hinako, Shingo and four non specified slots. One we already know is Najd. Also there's still one unused package on steamdb ever since the release of the game.

But I thought Luong, Love and MuiMui were already common knowledge among the fanbase since many noticed Luong in the rematch button during the WNF stream (and the high contrast preview image showing a schoolgirl in the right), those earlier trailers with their names listed as items for customization. The character sizes don't matter much since the supposed Luong and Shermie look a tad smaller than they really are. And since when the game will be released with only these 14 chracters from this main artwork? The character selection can hold much more than the 19 females from XIV and before people were begging for MissX, Soranaka and Oda said the game wouldn't have DLC. So I believe we'll get the rest of the silhouettes next month and then the'll focus on showing the rest of the girls and Sandel Dark until September.

One thing few noticed too is how improved (and taller) Sylvie looks now in this game.

----------------------------
But in another story, looks like SNK is opening a temporary store like in the good old medieval fairs style this week?

[this message was edited by KensouADV on Fri 4 May 02:21]

Lord SNK
292th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(8):Heroines" , posted Fri 4 May 03:40post reply

I don't get it, if there are still other 15 slots on the character select screen, why the black silhoutte image contains only half of the characters?

Also the unaccounted silhoutte could be anyone, Alice too is missing from XIV, so...

"Re(9):Heroines" , posted Fri 4 May 12:57post reply

quote:
I don't get it, if there are still other 15 slots on the character select screen, why the black silhoutte image contains only half of the characters?

Also the unaccounted silhoutte could be anyone, Alice too is missing from XIV, so...

Hence the reason I say the character select screen is not something to get excited about. I think half of those diamonds are just negative space and people are having trouble seeing how the character slots are actually arranged.

Lord SNK
294th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(10):Heroines" , posted Sat 5 May 02:49post reply

quote:

Hence the reason I say the character select screen is not something to get excited about. I think half of those diamonds are just negative space and people are having trouble seeing how the character slots are actually arranged.

Did they ever show again the select screen with more than the initial 4 or 5 characters filled?

Yuki Yagami

133th Post

Regular Customer

"KOF Collaboration Cafe" , posted Sat 5 May 18:52:post reply

quote:

Did they ever show again the select screen with more than the initial 4 or 5 characters filled?

Not yet, I hope they show the next public demo with Shermie, Sylvie and Zarina included in the weeks to come so we can see what's next.

MASSIVE BUMP!!!
-----------------------------------------

KOF Collaboration Cafe in Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya starting May 11th (Osaka and Ikekuburo only, Nagoya will be on June 1st and Akihabara will be on June 25th).

Also, it had some interesting artworks of characters as well.
Here is a sample...

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Wed 9 May 17:22]

"Re(1):KOF Collaboration Cafe" , posted Wed 9 May 22:04post reply

quote:

MASSIVE BUMP!!!

KOF Collaboration Cafe in Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya starting May 11th (Osaka and Ikekuburo only, Nagoya will be on June 1st and Akihabara will be on June 25th).

Here is a sample...

Good grief, they dug up Alba? Wait, they dug up Falcoon?!?

Professor
5418th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):KOF Collaboration Cafe" , posted Wed 9 May 23:28:post reply

quote:

MASSIVE BUMP!!!

Here is a sample...

I was just looking at this via the store's Twitter account and official collaboration site but holy bowls, some stuff on the menu, namely the Yuri Blueberry Crepe, is just weirdness.

Kyo's menu being fish is understandable since in his character profile he likes fish, and King's being a salad is because she's vegetarian.. I wonder why Iori is a Chicken Penne dish though? Are they trying to say he's chicken?

Falccon is actually a higher up at SNK's IP subsidiary now so yeah, he's been drawing stuff here and there.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 9 May 23:31]

sibarraz
658th Post

"Re(2):KOF Collaboration Cafe" , posted Thu 10 May 22:09post reply

quote:

MASSIVE BUMP!!!

Here is a sample...

I will love to see some MI characters in KOF 15 or something, I know that their designs are not that great, but they are still part of SNK history.

Also, wasn't one of the MI games the best selling console game for SNK in the USA? Maybe ignoring Baseball Stars

"Re(3):KOF Collaboration Cafe" , posted Thu 10 May 22:33post reply

It's obviously a poorly kept secret, but the Neo Geo Mini has been confirmed. I'm not certain why there is a color difference between the Japanese and international versions since anybody who is going to buy this thing is so far into SNK fandom that they are going to want the original bright cabinet scheme. So far there is no word yet on pricing. There's also no word yet on how much the external cables and controllers will cost since no one is going to try to huddle down and play a game on this Barbie doll sized contraption.

Lord SNK
295th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):KOF Collaboration Cafe" , posted Fri 11 May 03:32post reply

quote:
It's obviously a poorly kept secret, but the Neo Geo Mini has been confirmed. I'm not certain why there is a color difference between the Japanese and international versions since anybody who is going to buy this thing is so far into SNK fandom that they are going to want the original bright cabinet scheme. So far there is no word yet on pricing. There's also no word yet on how much the external cables and controllers will cost since no one is going to try to huddle down and play a game on this Barbie doll sized contraption.

Also there is no word on what hardware i running inside that thing. Everyone remember the Neo Geo X and his horrible emulator running on a subpar hardware.

Moreover, aside from dimension, is it me, or the button layout is WRONG?
I remember

C D
A B

and not

A C
B D

for the 2 rows button layout.

Professor
5421th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):KOF Collaboration Cafe" , posted Fri 11 May 03:47:post reply

quote:
I remember

C D
A B

and not

A C
B D

On the NeoCD home pad, the layout was

This minature seems to be based on arcade layout which were used for generic cabinets during the NeoGeo era, like the Astro and VersusCity. They used to be modified formats of 3x2 layouts with the rightmost buttons taken out--

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 11 May 04:17]

sibarraz
661th Post

"Re(6):KOF Collaboration Cafe" , posted Fri 11 May 04:55post reply

quote:
I remember

C D
A B

and not

A C
B D

This minature seems to be based on arcade layout which were used for generic cabinets during the NeoGeo era, like the Astro and VersusCity. They used to be modified formats of 3x2 layouts with the rightmost buttons taken out--

Which is the common layout in Japan (or worldwide)

We are having a debate with some friends about why in Chile we play

When in Japan people play

But your post says that back then people played like we do here in Chile

Lord SNK
297th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):KOF Collaboration Cafe" , posted Fri 11 May 06:09post reply

quote:

So the 2 rows should be swapped, but in that thing the whole layout is rotated to 90° to the right compared to the Neo Geo CD layout

"Re(7):KOF Collaboration Cafe" , posted Fri 11 May 07:16post reply

The NeoGeo layout I remember was this, though:

I don't remember an official 2x2 layout at all aside from the gamepads. But the layout of the Neo CD gamepads made no sense for most of their games, considering that a lot required an A+B+C combination.

Professor
5421th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):KOF Collaboration Cafe" , posted Fri 11 May 13:24post reply

quote:

So the 2 rows should be swapped, but in that thing the whole layout is rotated to 90° to the right compared to the Neo Geo CD layout

Agh sorry-- I made a typo/mistake. On the generic cabinets it's

Basically the punch buttons go on top and kick buttons go at bottom.

Professor
5428th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Move to Summer!" , posted Mon 14 May 22:50:post reply

Spring is almost over so let's move to next!-

http://www.mmcafe.com/bbs/threadview.html?13697

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 14 May 23:47]