SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Edition - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (11369 Views )

Professor
4243th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Edition" , posted Sat 14 Mar 15:42:post reply

SNK Stuff Thread 3
SNK Stuff Thread 4
SNK Stuff Thread 5
SNK Stuff Thread 6
SNK Stuff Thread 7
SNK Stuff Thread 8
SNK Stuff Thread 9
SNK Stuff Thread 10
SNK Stuff Thread 11
SNK Stuff Thread 12

Art stuff :

Senri Kita Blog / Hiroaki Blog
Nona Twitter / Nona Yfrog / Nona Blog
Other Artist Info / Other Artist Info 2

Hidden stuff in old games:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16260198 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12375295 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12949449 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11733011 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12290526 - Nico

https://tcrf.net/Art_of_Fighting_%28Neo_Geo%29 AOF1 Stuff
https://tcrf.net/Art_of_Fighting_2_%28Arcade%29#Unused_Title_Text AOF2 stuff

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 14 Mar 15:48]

Replies:

Professor
4243th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Sat 14 Mar 15:42:post reply

Last posts from previous thread--

Doshin
"Re(3):Tencent and SNK!" , posted Wed 11 Mar 18:50

Consumer Psychology-
The company is looking for psychology graduates to work in their development team to make their games more appealing. I guess they still haven't figured out why MSD had so many downloads.

Maybe they should try using common sense. Then again, SNK was never known for that. I guess that's what happens when you have confused businessmen out of touch with their own business.

quote:Statistics and Analysis-
The company is looking for statistics graduates to analyze data useful for game development.

Overseas sales and business management-
For taking care of business sales, contracts, etc.

These might be useful, at least.

sibarraz
"Re(4):Tencent and SNK!" , posted Thu 12 Mar 00:33

Consumer Psychology-
The company is looking for psychology graduates to work in their development team to make their games more appealing. I guess they still haven't figured out why MSD had so many downloads.Maybe they should try using common sense. Then again, SNK was never known for that. I guess that's what happens when you have confused businessmen out of touch with their own business.

Statistics and Analysis-
The company is looking for statistics graduates to analyze data useful for game development.

SNK mobile games are kinda curious for me.

For example, metal slug defense doesn't had all the tropes that all the popular f2p games had, or if they had them, they follow them in a very loosely way (for example, the energy system that all those games had is ultra permisive in MSD, to the point that if you grind well enough, you can play whenever you want the single player mode)

In the other hand, they don't include very basic thing like facebook integration so you can save your data there and post it with your friends, yet somehow they integrated nico nico to save your matches and post them online.

Metal slug defense is a game where if you want you can't expend a dime and beat everyting, but at the same time, you need to expend money to get the better tropes, is kinda different of other games where at some point you are screwed if you don't pay something to keep advancing.

That being said, I like mobile games from SNK, they are still fun and doesn't feel like a drag like other games, metal slug defense is a brilliant game, I wonder who came with that idea inside snk

Loona
"Re(5):Tencent and SNK!" , posted Thu 12 Mar 23:25

quote:SNK mobile games are kinda curious for me.

For example, metal slug defense doesn't had all the tropes that all the popular f2p games had, or if they had them, they follow them in a very loosely way (for example, the energy system that all those games had is ultra permisive in MSD, to the point that if you grind well enough, you can play whenever you want the single player mode)

In the other hand, they don't include very basic thing like facebook integration so you can save your data there and post it with your friends, yet somehow they integrated nico nico to save your matches and post them online.

Metal slug defense is a game where if you want you can't expend a dime and beat everyting, but at the same time, you need to expend money to get the better tropes, is kinda different of other games where at some point you are screwed if you don't pay something to keep advancing.

That being said, I like mobile games from SNK, they are still fun and doesn't feel like a drag like other games, metal slug defense is a brilliant game, I wonder who came with that idea inside snk

I figure the pre-existing assets from the multiple MS games help, but at least to me, one of the charming appeals of the game is that for once just about every unit is shown an official name and description, and while it seems possible to complete levels just by using the unlockables, there's some appeal in collecting the whole set (so, money for SNKP).

But what I think really helps is the mini missions they release with every update - those let you use the units you can buy and expose you to their specific mechanics. While on a regular level level you can swarm everything with a full deck of your favorite or more powerful units, the missions often make you use 2 or 3 very specific units, making you learn about their ins and outs - and that, like the KoFXIII combo trials, really helps to reveal interesting gameplay design points about the game and its playable units.

Unrelated, but I just saw this promotional image on Pixiv through Twitter - a fan-made KoF calendar for sale at Comiket, if Google Translate isn't failing me much?

nobinobita
"Re(4):Tencent and SNK!" , posted Sat 14 Mar 05:45

Consumer Psychology-
The company is looking for psychology graduates to work in their development team to make their games more appealing. I guess they still haven't figured out why MSD had so many downloads.Maybe they should try using common sense. Then again, SNK was never known for that. I guess that's what happens when you have confused businessmen out of touch with their own business.

Statistics and Analysis-

I think SNK needs to realize that although they don't have a chart topping world conquering property like Clash of Clans or Puzzle and Dragons, they have something else that's in many ways even more difficult to achieve: IP that people care about.

The majority of mobile games companies will rise to the top then burn out within a few years. I honestly don't think anyone will have genuine enthusiams for Angry Birds 5 years from now. But people will probably still care about SNKs cast of characters. It's a niche audience, but it's worth something.

I mean, yeah, most people would probably rather work really hard for a few years, have an amazing IPO then fizzle out and live off of that money for the rest of their lives... but for better or worse SNK has something much longer lasting on their hands. I just hope they figure out a smart way to keep those IPs alive cos I love em dearly (Metal Slug Defense was a surprisingly great start!)

the real kap
"Re(5):Tencent and SNK!" , posted Sat 14 Mar 06:13

They have about 11 years worth of KOF sprites, they could turn it into a sidescrolling F2P MOBA. How about calling it League of Fi--never mind, already exists.

*It could have plane switching like the old Fatal Fury games and 100 ft. jumping like in Savage Reign. I AM BRILLIANT.

Then again, they also have a lot of music and ROF doesn't get that much lately. It didn't even get any characters, probably because they had to create unique voice clips during the stage result screen.

Spoon
"Re(5):Tencent and SNK!" , posted Sat 14 Mar 08:01

I honestly don't think anyone will have genuine enthusiams for Angry Birds 5 years from now.

Consider that Angry Birds is already 6 years old. That's young compared to anything from the 90's, for sure, but Angry Birds is still in the public eye.

Just wait for when Angry Birds is described as a "seminal mobile game" 10 years from now! I fully expect you to be on your lawn shaking your cane.

Professor
"Re(6):Tencent and SNK!" , posted Sat 14 Mar 15:25

Unrelated, but I just saw this promotional image on Pixiv through Twitter - a fan-made KoF calendar for sale at Comiket, if Google Translate isn't failing me much?

More or less so. Japan has a lot of doujin events (Comiket being the largest one), and that artist on Pixiv is releasing a calendar at one called "Haru comiccity" coming up on Sunday.

Looks like it's a compilation of 6 artists.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 14 Mar 16:01]

nobinobita
1386th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Mon 16 Mar 02:19:post reply

quote:
Spoon
"Re(5):Tencent and SNK!" , posted Sat 14 Mar 08:01

I honestly don't think anyone will have genuine enthusiams for Angry Birds 5 years from now.

Consider that Angry Birds is already 6 years old. That's young compared to anything from the 90's, for sure, but Angry Birds is still in the public eye.

Just wait for when Angry Birds is described as a "seminal mobile game" 10 years from now! I fully expect you to be on your lawn shaking your cane.

Professor
"Re(6):Tencent and SNK!" , posted Sat 14 Mar 15:25

More or less so. Japan has a lot of doujin events (Comiket being the largest one), and that artist on Pixiv is releasing a calendar at one called "Haru comiccity" coming up on Sunday.

Looks like it's a compilation of 6 artists.

Angry Birds may be a seminal mobile game that changed the industry forever. But King of Fighters is a seminal (hee hee) source of inspiration for countless H-Doujins! This is the true show of boundless lifelong love!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 16 Mar 02:40]

Maou
2750th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Mon 16 Mar 03:09post reply

quote:
King of Fighters is a seminal (hee hee) source of inspiration for countless H-Doujins! This is the true show of boundless lifelong love!

Outside of doujin, I think the most endless love letter to KOF may be the Cafe itself! Since the only thing I understand less than Jojo is SNK (well, I do love Metal Slug), I've arguably been a "third wheel" in the Cafe-SNK coupling all these years, but even from afar it makes me so happy to see the insane 300+ post SNK thread, as desparately in need of an update as, ah, SNK.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

the real kap
56th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Mon 16 Mar 05:32post reply

It's crazy how time flies and how few new KOF games we got.

94-2003
2004 was KOF CopypasteWave, no story
2005 was XI
2009 was XII, didn't have a story
2010 was XIII, had a story

And now we're in 2015. If we don't get a new KOF in October, then it will be 10 years with only 2 KOF storyline entries.

By the way, a lot of the links that go to blogs/sites of SNK artists are now 404; Nona's blog for example.

kofoguz
1156th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(5):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Mon 16 Mar 07:53post reply

quote:
It's crazy how time flies and how few new KOF games we got.

94-2003
2004 was KOF CopypasteWave, no story
2005 was XI
2009 was XII, didn't have a story
2010 was XIII, had a story

And now we're in 2015. If we don't get a new KOF in October, then it will be 10 years with only 2 KOF storyline entries.

By the way, a lot of the links that go to blogs/sites of SNK artists are now 404; Nona's blog for example.

I hope rumored Tencent partnership is true and we have a new quality Saga start soon and I don't mind Chinese heavy story since Kensou's Dragon Spirit Saga was teased forever. I just hope they don't forget cool characters like Botan forever and add them or mention them for future use.

Ishmael
5110th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Mon 16 Mar 09:43post reply

So now is Angry Birds the 21st century version of Mario, where the simple characters and story line are carefully managed for years through multiple games? Or is it the 21st century Pac-Man, where there was a flurry of merchandise and games sold but nobody knew how to expand the property outside of the base game? Either way, are the birds going to show up in the next Smash game?

quote:
Angry Birds may be a seminal mobile game that changed the industry forever. But King of Fighters is a seminal (hee hee) source of inspiration for countless H-Doujins! This is the true show of boundless lifelong love!

KoF truly is the face that launched a thousand ships. Those ships were laden down doujin full of questionable content but the cultural impact is still there.

Spoon
2822th Post

"Re(4):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Mon 16 Mar 15:13post reply

quote:
the only thing I understand less than Jojo is SNK

By sheer force of osmosis, I figured by now you would have an understanding of both that may not be at the PhD level that some here have, but at least at the Bachelors level.

Loona
832th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Mon 16 Mar 18:34post reply

quote:
So now is Angry Birds the 21st century version of Mario, where the simple characters and story line are carefully managed for years through multiple games? Or is it the 21st century Pac-Man, where there was a flurry of merchandise and games sold but nobody knew how to expand the property outside of the base game? Either way, are the birds going to show up in the next Smash game?

Maybe it's an issue with the country of origin, but the likes of Pac-Man and Mario never felt the need to associate themselves with existing franchises like Star Wars and Transformers for people to keep caring about their new releases - could be an issue with the ages of the franchises, since the older ones had fewer famous competitors, or the fact that things like crossovers are far more common.

The mentions of KoF and hentai doujins keep reminding me of the SvC Chaos cast - having a game with Poison and Mars People in it did feel a bit like encouragement for that kind of output, although I have no idea of how well that actually worked out...

...!!

Sibarraz
541th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Mon 16 Mar 21:46post reply

quote:

KoF truly is the face that launched a thousand ships. Those ships were laden down doujin full of questionable content but the cultural impact is still there.

I recaló reading that Rovio was at a Freefall and that the angry birds IP isnt as valuable as before

the real kap
57th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Mon 16 Mar 23:30post reply

Hah. Reminder, Sony is actually making an Angry Birds movie right now. That'll be a hit, right guys?

...guys?

Iggy
9878th Post

"Re(6):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Tue 17 Mar 03:42post reply

quote:
Hah. Reminder, Sony is actually making an Angry Birds movie right now. That'll be a hit, right guys?

...guys?

It cannot realistically be worse than the Super Mario movie.

Ishmael
5114th Post

"Re(7):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Tue 17 Mar 04:35post reply

quote:

...guys?

Or the KoF movie!

the real kap
58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Tue 17 Mar 06:35post reply

quote:

...guys?

Or the KoF movie!

The Super Mario movie had some fun ideas and memorable quotes.

KOF movie had...

......trashbag smashing Terry...?

kofoguz
1157th Post

"Re(9):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Tue 17 Mar 08:37post reply

quote:

...guys?

Or the KoF movie!

KOF movie had...

I still refuse to watch the movie. It is equivalent of me saying I wont consume yoghurt anymore. So it's a... success?

Maou
2751th Post

"Re(5):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Tue 17 Mar 15:18post reply

quote:

By sheer force of osmosis, I figured by now you would have an understanding of both that may not be at the PhD level that some here have, but at least at the Bachelors level.

It's kind of like having an enduring attraction to a culture you have no direct experience of living in whatsoever. SNK and Jojo are like my Iran and India or something.

Spoon
2824th Post

"Re(6):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Tue 17 Mar 15:58post reply

quote:

It's kind of like having an enduring attraction to a culture you have no direct experience of living in whatsoever. SNK and Jojo are like my Iran and India or something.

One mental approach to Jojo early on is to think of it like pro wrestling.

Jojo is the heroic face from a well-to-do family, raised by decent people to be a decent person. Dio is the unwanted child born into poverty, who covets all and is full of cunning. Dio and Jojo grow strong and tough and beautiful, and the feud Dio begins with Jojo goes from their introduction as children all the way to their deaths. Dio recruits followers through his ambition and charisma, while Jojo gains help through fate and his essential humanity. Along the way, all kinds of people show up and job to Dio and Jojo, pushing the two of them higher and higher over the top.

As the series progresses, it becomes increasingly preposterous and fabulous, just like wrestling through the 80s and early 90s.

badoor
416th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Gold Customer

"Re(10):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Edit" , posted Tue 17 Mar 16:47post reply

quote:

...guys?

Or the KoF movie!

KOF movie had...

I still refuse to watch the movie. It is equivalent of me saying I wont consume yoghurt anymore. So it's a... success?

You can do as I did and just watch this. Probably would be better than watching the real thing

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/

TheRedKnight
385th Post

PSN: MEGAMIXFIGHTER

Silver Customer

"Re(7):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Tue 17 Mar 16:48post reply

Damn, now try to explain Kinnikuman through pro wrestling?

I was reading the other thread's MKX posts before I got here, and now I can't stop thinking that the older version of Johnny Cage looks kind of like Terry from the KoF live action flick.

videograpple.tumblr.com/

Loona
833th Post

"Re(10):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Edit" , posted Tue 17 Mar 18:47post reply

quote:

The entire movie is available on Youtube, so you can watch it with the satisfaction that nobody involved is getting a penny from you.

When I discovered that, I got the biggest can of beer I could find and figured I'd get it out of my system, preparing for the worst.

It's, of course, as bad as has been said - casting, misused story and characters, the works.

Surprisingly, they almost got Chizuru right - remembering to include her, considering they had Kyo, Iori and a reference to Orochi, was almost an achievement in research, considering everything else.
Then they killed her.

At a couple of point they try to treat the "alternate battle dimension" thing as an analogy for video games, as there's a brief mention of Saishyu being too driven to get involved in it almost to the point of addiction. Like just about everything else in the movie, it goes nowhere interesting.

I've been dabbling with the idea of putting together one or more videos about KoF SNK lore, since nothing of the sort appears to exist in English outside of playthroughs of specific games' cutscenes.
The script I'm putting together is basically presenting a case for Elisabeth as the KoFXIII protagonist, with a detour to Mai's importance in promoting the game, and that is detouring briefly into mentioning the movie as a case of an adaptation that misguidedly tried to present her as a protagonist to a story to which she has no actual relevance, so it's kinda funny to see the movie getting addressed here now.

...!!

Sibarraz
542th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 201" , posted Tue 17 Mar 20:57post reply

I recall that the movie was released around the same time of that dragon ball live action movie

Good Times

Loona
834th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 201" , posted Tue 17 Mar 21:50post reply

SNKP now has an official Twitter account for the Japan-only Sister Quest game, while the international Metal Slug Defense and its 20 million downloads has no equivalent.
I don't get it.

...!!

Youloute
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 201" , posted Wed 18 Mar 02:37post reply

Talking about Twitter, Styleos/Tomoyuki Kotani also has his own account.
He sometimes posts sprite sheets, including one for SNK Vs Capcom featuring Scorp from Slammaster/Muscle Bomber and another for KOF 2k1 with Ramon dressed as a Wrestler, wearing the same mask as the one he has on one of the artwork.
On a related note, Blue Demon was a famous mexican wrestler who died a few months before the release of the game.
I don't know if it's a scrapped intro or if SNK planned to change Ramon's appearance at some point.

Just a Person
1627th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Re(10):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 201" , posted Wed 18 Mar 07:24post reply

quote:

The entire movie is available on Youtube, so you can watch it with the satisfaction that nobody involved is getting a penny from you.

When I discovered that, I got the biggest can of beer I could find and figured I'd get it out of my system, preparing for the worst.

It's, of course, as bad as has been said - casting, misused story and characters, the works.

In other words, it's like any other film adaptation of any fighting game. Except perhaps the first MK film, which was okay, and the DOA film, which was actually kinda faithful to the game's story (even if it was still a bad movie anyway).

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

GekigangerV
1907th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(10):SNK Stuff 3 More JPN PS2 archives" , posted Wed 18 Mar 11:39:post reply

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/press/pdf/150318_01.pdf

Today we got three more PS2 archive games from SNKplaymore added to the JPN PSN store

KOF 2000
Metal Slug 5
ADK Tamashii (a collection of Aggressors of Dark Kombat, Nina Masters: Hao Ninpo Cho, Ninja Combat, Ninja Commado an Twinkle Star Sprites)

SNK Playmore seems to be releasing at least one PS2 archive game a month so I wonder what we will get next.

quote:
SNKP now has an official Twitter account for the Japan-only Sister Quest game, while the international Metal Slug Defense and its 20 million downloads has no equivalent.
I don't get it.

Speaking of funny SNKPlaymore decisions, I think they changed the app icon for Beast Busters from the main male character to the main female character.

I remember that they changed MSD defense from General Morden to the item girl. I wonder if they see a noticeable increase in downloads when they do this.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Wed 18 Mar 13:54]

the real kap
59th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):SNK Stuff 3 More JPN PS2 archiv" , posted Thu 19 Mar 01:08post reply

Metal Slug 5 is my favorite, but no way I'm paying 1000 yen for a barebones port. It wouldn't make sense for them to just port the damn anthology for all PS platforms because they released every single port separately, would it? *shrug* Still waiting for 02UM and maybe Reg A.

Baines
420th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 201" , posted Thu 19 Mar 06:15post reply

quote:
In other words, it's like any other film adaptation of any fighting game. Except perhaps the first MK film, which was okay, and the DOA film, which was actually kinda faithful to the game's story (even if it was still a bad movie anyway).

No, the KOF live action movie is bad even by live action video game movie standards.

The casting was abysmal, as they didn't even try to match actors to the character designs. They didn't bother to use the right signature moves, one of the few highlights of bad videogame movies. The story was abysmal and fairly stupid, again even by fighting game movie standards. Half the characters were assigned Madlibs-style to the story roles.

To this day, I wonder if they cast Ray Parks as Rugal in an attempt to replicate the cheesy goodness of Raul Julia's Bison. As with everything else in the film, it didn't work. Park's Rugal is inept and incapable, the martial arts god reduced to (badly) using guns and sports-equipment related attacks.

the real kap
60th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 201" , posted Thu 19 Mar 06:33post reply

quote:

No, the KOF live action movie is bad even by live action video game movie standards.

The casting was abysmal, as they didn't even try to match actors to the character designs. They didn't bother to use the right signature moves, one of the few highlights of bad videogame movies. The story was abysmal and fairly stupid, again even by fighting game movie standards. Half the characters were assigned Madlibs-style to the story roles.

To this day, I wonder if they cast Ray Parks as Rugal in an attempt to replicate the cheesy goodness of Raul Julia's Bison. As with everything else in the film, it didn't work. Park's Rugal is inept and incapable, the martial arts god reduced to (badly) using guns and sports-equipment related attacks.

What are you talking about? There was nothing wrong with the casting and characters.

Rugal:

- Dubai City Tower-Tall
- German
- Has some sorta sauerkraut martial art style, I dunno

Billy:

- Average height
- Raised in London
- Expert stick fighter

Ray Park:

- Average height
- Raised in London
- Darth Maul

Makes perfect sense for Ray to play Rugal.

sibarraz
543th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Psycho Soldiers coming to Metal Slug Defense" , posted Fri 20 Mar 03:49post reply

Well, today SNK released their new patch for metal slug defense, and in one banner they indicate that for the next patch they will release the pshycho soldier team as new units for the game

I guess that the introduction of KOF characters has been a sucess for SNK if they are making new sprites just for this game. Now I know that those sprites are very basic but still is an upgrade for the utilization of old assets

Maou
2754th Post

"Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Fri 20 Mar 04:07post reply

Ah, PSN, I hadn't considered such an easy way to get me into SNK through the old games, which have a lot more appeal to me than KOF XIII somehow. What are "the best" or everyone's favorites? I'm talking SFZero 3, 3rd Strike, SC 1/2 class.

I remember people talking about the wonderful attention to detail in old games like Art of Fighting with shredded clothes and different reactions to different characters, etc.

Ready to be converted.

the real kap
61th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Psycho Soldiers coming to Metal Slug De" , posted Fri 20 Mar 06:15post reply

quote:
Well, today SNK released their new patch for metal slug defense, and in one banner they indicate that for the next patch they will release the pshycho soldier team as new units for the game

I guess that the introduction of KOF characters has been a sucess for SNK if they are making new sprites just for this game. Now I know that those sprites are very basic but still is an upgrade for the utilization of old assets

You can already buy Athena, same price as other KOF characters. Kensou and Chin will be released later. Close range attack is her CD, long range attack is Psycho Ball and her special attack is Shining Crystal Bit which is basically an orange oval. Definitely not buying that. XD

Turtles Tournament Fighters SNES was one of my favorite fighters, today's Konami news made me think back to their classic games.

We're never getting another Sunset Rider... :(

karasu
1477th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(1):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Fri 20 Mar 08:32post reply

quote:
Ah, PSN, I hadn't considered such an easy way to get me into SNK through the old games, which have a lot more appeal to me than KOF XIII somehow. What are "the best" or everyone's favorites? I'm talking SFZero 3, 3rd Strike, SC 1/2 class.

I remember people talking about the wonderful attention to detail in old games like Art of Fighting with shredded clothes and different reactions to different characters, etc.

Ready to be converted.

I'm not really sure there are any SNK games that are completely without merit to the connoisseur... even the original Fatal Fury, while extremely flat as a fighting game from a modern perspective, has a nice light feel to it musically and visibly. For me, it feels like California in the 80's, which I'd like to think the creators were going for. Art of Fighting 1 has quite a bit of attention to detail, but AOF2 is a seriously fantastic game in almost every way. The interesting thing about the early SNK fighters overall is how the genre was still brand new, no one knew what it would ultimately be like, and SNK was completely unafraid to try out all kinds of crazy stuff, like 2 vs 1 matches, super moves tied to ki a ki meter, panning and zooming, battle damage, and so on. You literally can't go wrong.

But if you insist that I make a recommendation, I'll strongly suggest ADK Tamashii. Ninja Warrior's (love that apostrophe) is well worth the asking price alone!

Also, hey Maou!

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

phoenix
949th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Fri 20 Mar 10:52:post reply

quote:

Ready to be converted.

Best/Favorites: 98, 98 umfe, 2002, 2002 um, xi, xiii, last blade 2, real bout special, real bout 2, aof 2, mark of the wolves, samsho 2, samsho 5 special

edit: 96, 97...I can go on and on XD

[this message was edited by phoenix on Fri 20 Mar 10:55]

Mosquiton
2029th Post

"Re(1):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Fri 20 Mar 11:56post reply

quote:

Ready to be converted.

Play Mark of the Wolves. To me, you can kind of feel SNK's history in it and it's not as tough to get into as KoF. This is the game I always recommended to Capcom fans.

If you want to step outside fighters play Metal Slug 3. Resist the urge to plow through with infinite credits and just start over when it's really beating your ass.

Back to fighters if you like cutting people, Samurai Shodown II if fucking classic. It's more like a Super Turbo than a Zero 3, maybe, but highly recommended.

/ / /

Maou
2755th Post

"Re(2):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Fri 20 Mar 12:04post reply

Oh, thanks, kids! Keep 'em coming! I especially want to hear what you love most about your choices.

I should probably clarify that SNK isn't quite as alien to me as I let on: I've played Metal Slug for years and love it, and Samurai Spirits has always been a lot of fun even if I never focused on it...sounds like 2's the answer.

Basically, if you can sell me on some wonderous attention to detail or something that only SNK does, I am so there.

...assuming it's on PSN in a tolerable form, that is.

Loona
835th Post

"Re(3):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Fri 20 Mar 20:26post reply

quote:
Oh, thanks, kids! Keep 'em coming! I especially want to hear what you love most about your choices.

I should probably clarify that SNK isn't quite as alien to me as I let on: I've played Metal Slug for years and love it, and Samurai Spirits has always been a lot of fun even if I never focused on it...sounds like 2's the answer.

Basically, if you can sell me on some wonderous attention to detail or something that only SNK does, I am so there.

...assuming it's on PSN in a tolerable form, that is.

Well, I once wrote down my thoughts about Art of Fighting and what it did for the fighting genre as a whole.

There's also a couple of neat threads on NeoGAF about how SNK's fighting games tend to go out of their way to present their characters:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686589
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=848816

On a more general view of things, I like how the Fatal Fury games are more about their setting than their gameplay, since they change the controls and some gameplay features almost every couple of games.

And when I say that about the setting, I mean there's enough meat on that topic that, if the developers didn't think extensively about the topic, they certainly put enough detail into the series' hub of South Town for admirably dedicated fans to extrapolate on its geography, history and economy.

In the process, they end up adding a bunch of neat little details like special animations on stages - or knock-out special cases, like in FF3 (you get those big sprtes for getting knocked toward the "camera", or if in the other direction, against specific BG objects - IIRC it's possible to crack an aquarium glass by knocking someone into it in that game) and Real Bout.

I particularly like how in Real Bout, where Geese canonically dies from falling off his building, the 1st round version of the stage is "infinite" like the ones in Galaxy Fight, but the following one has destroyable barriers like the other ones in the game - like they included that mechanic in the game just to make sure Geese's intended death scene would make sense within the game's system.

You're already aware of SS2's greatness, and I agree - but I still respect that after its success they decided the game's controls should be changed to fit the game's specific nature, instead of trying to replicate SF's 6 buttons in a 4-button system - so instead of 2 slash and 2 kick buttons, they refocused on the fact that weapons are important, and started only using a single kick button, leaving the remaining one for the strongest weapon attack, or a form of active defense.

For sheer beautiful games, can't go wrong with KoFs 99, 2000, 2003, XI, XII and XIII, as well as Garou and the Last Blades.

For KoF as a whole, other than not shying away from experimenting with its systems despite its success, I'll always admire its courage to do things like significantly changing character moves to match story events (which leads which on the development side I don't know, but that they do it is neat), even if they are the protagonist (Kyo in 96).

Or that one time in 99 where they just went and replaced the protagonist entirely, and further puzzled people by having 2 Kyos in the select screen, hinting at the story and representing the character's 2 play styles.

And then there's stuff like NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, which is filled with a bunch of internal homages, from Akari from LB summoning a bunch of characters and creatures from other games in her super, Kyo and Iori having a team super that reenacts the KoF97 ending.

I could probably do this all day, but it's easier to take on a game o series at a time, and I'm curious what else the rest of the Cafe can present.

...!!

kofoguz
1158th Post

"Re(4):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Fri 20 Mar 23:59post reply

quote:

Don't forget SVC: Chaos. I know It's not technically balanced but it was so fun. Backgrounds are hit or miss for me. Though its out of concept I wanted a crowded background but since it happens in some kind of post apocalyptic settings, they didnt put any. Cast is very unique (where else you can see Demitri vs Kasumi or Violent Ken again) and if it had a sequel I'm sure we would have a lot more obscure but fun characters. I want a new CVS to happen only for seeing what kind of crazy fighter would be the SVC sequel.

Freeter
4630th Post

"Re(3):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Sat 21 Mar 02:52post reply

Last Blade 2. I voted for it in the SNK poll because it's nearly flawless in not only its presentation, but also its technical precision. You can truly feel the weight and clash of every attack. The controls are incredibly responsive, unlike SS2 where inputs may occasionally struggle to come out.

And even though Garou is just as visually arresting, the action in LB2 feels a lot more intense in comparison. It even flows better than KOF since the characters don't have that series' rigid sprite design.

Even if it doesn't hit PSN, you should still check it out.

caiooa
23th Post

PSN: n/a

New Customer

"Re(1):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Sat 21 Mar 09:56post reply

completely based in personal tastes

-in no particular order, samurai shodown V special, real bout fatal fury 2, kof98umfe and the last blade 2 are the most interesting titles gameplay wise

-in no particular order, last blade 1, garou motw, kizuna encounter and samsho 3-4 are very graphically/musicaly pleasing and fun, while not the better ones ballance wise.

TheRedKnight
386th Post

PSN: MEGAMIXFIGHTER

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Sat 21 Mar 17:05post reply

In my case, all it took was the poor man's version of KOF98 on the Playstation to make me forget about Street Fighter for a couple of years until CVS2 came out for the PS2. That's how I was properly introduced to SNK fighters, so my recommendations for the same effect and taking into account that it has to be on PSN is:

KOF98UM or Neo Geo Battle Coliseum on the PS2 classics
KOF95 on the Neo Geo Station

videograpple.tumblr.com/

Professor
4247th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Sat 21 Mar 21:44:post reply

quote:

Ready to be converted.

In some ways, converting isn't nessesarily when you consider that SF4 and SF5 are developed by the company (Dimps) founded by ex-SNK staffs! I sort of wish they had time to make an original franchise too, given the lack of freedom they probably have. It certainly seems like their creativity is more apparent in SF5 though, like the famous Ramen Chun-li!

My personal suggestion for a quick look on classic NeoGeo fighters would be "餓狼伝説バトルアーカイブズ1(Fatal Fury: Battle Archives Volume 1)" if it ever comes out on the PSN. It's a compilation of the Fatal Fury trilogy, and you get to experience the early years of the Neogeo down to its golden period. It's a relatively easy series to get into because the basics aren't too far off from Street Fighter, and the single player experience is pretty fun.

The storyline has a wonderfully loveable cheapness of B-rated films from the 1980's. Most of it takes place in a local American town and starts off with two young brothers avenging the death of their father, killed by a corrupt businessman who's making a profit running a city-wide tournament that's totally fixed. By the 3rd sequel, they find themselves in an oddity of asian obscurity in their town, a la Big trouble in little China.

To this day, I think Fatal Fury 1 is still the only fighting game where you can see your protagonist falling to his death on a game over!

Oh, and the last boss wears a gold Rolex.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 21 Mar 23:27]

Maou
2757th Post

"Re(2):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Sun 22 Mar 00:20post reply

Thanks, everyone! Lots of tempting choices in here. Professor's comment does make me wish they would convert their pristine PS2 collections---I feel the same for Capcom's lovely SF Zero collection, which I wish I could play A) online and B) on PS3. In the interest of "starting from the beginning," the Neogeo Station PSN lineup seems to have started too far back to be convincingly interesting in a lot of cases...only Samurai Spirits 1, for instance. It's like putting SF II on virtual console without doing SSFIIX, the one people actually still like to play.

Professor
4248th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Sun 22 Mar 00:57:post reply

quote:
Thanks, everyone! Lots of tempting choices in here. Professor's comment does make me wish they would convert their pristine PS2 collections---I feel the same for Capcom's lovely SF Zero collection, which I wish I could play A) online and B) on PS3. In the interest of "starting from the beginning," the Neogeo Station PSN lineup seems to have started too far back to be convincingly interesting in a lot of cases...only Samurai Spirits 1, for instance. It's like putting SF II on virtual console without doing SSFIIX, the one people actually still like to play.

The Neogeo Station on PSN is probably dead! The manager in charge of the series is long gone from SNKPlaymore and it hasn't seen a release in over 3 years. That's unquestionably why the company is releasing stuff without netcode (the PS Archives series).

Alas, there's lots of good fighting games on the PS3 with online play! GGXrd for example... hope to open an online session one of these days, especially since there'll be another patch soon.

Now, where is KOF14.
Btw that roster rumor from China is apparently a hoax.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 22 Mar 01:10]

Spoon
2829th Post

"Re(4):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Sun 22 Mar 03:14:post reply

Opening remarks: if you are limited to PSN, it's going to be a tough sell. The catalog on there is highly limited and is lacking in both cult classics as well as mainstream hits.

Question: are we specifically looking at SNK fighting games, or games on SNK systems? There are some gems on the Neo-Geo that were not made by SNK, like the unearthly beautiful Waku Waku 7, combo breaker innovator Breakers Revenge, and anything by Data East (bless BALLOOOOOOON their souls).

Various: Garou Mark of the Wolves is probably the smoothest playing game on it, and is gorgeous. MotW is almost precisely SNK's answer to the SF3 series, which history now shows was something that commercially nobody should have attempted/bothered to top. KOF'98 is about as classic as it gets: from Kensou's outfit which is pure 90s fashion, to the Three Gorges stage of Team China which shows a sight that probably no longer exists due to the construction of the dam there in the 2000's in real life, to jump CD being a thing every character can do if you don't know what to do. You already like Samurai Shodown, so I don't need to sell you on that. In theory I like Last Blade games, which are beautiful and have lots of neat systems and awesome characters. In practice, the games for me feel strangely stiff and awkward to play, and I've never quite been able to put my finger on why, especially given that I love Samurai Shodown. Art of Fighting 3 is a 2D Tekken that is gorgeously drawn and animated. But because I know what will actually sell you on anything is a piece of art that looks like it should be the cover of an anime VHS or laserdisc, here's the cover art for Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Sun 22 Mar 03:17]

nobinobita
1389th Post

"Re(5):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Sun 22 Mar 13:48:post reply

quote:
Opening remarks: if you are limited to PSN, it's going to be a tough sell. The catalog on there is highly limited and is lacking in both cult classics as well as mainstream hits.

Question: are we specifically looking at SNK fighting games, or games on SNK systems? There are some gems on the Neo-Geo that were not made by SNK, like the unearthly beautiful Waku Waku 7, combo breaker innovator Breakers Revenge, and anything by Data East (bless BALLOOOOOOON their souls).

Various: Garou Mark of the Wolves is probably the smoothest playing game on it, and is gorgeous. MotW is almost precisely SNK's answer to the SF3 series, which history now shows was something that commercially nobody should have attempted/bothered to top. KOF'98 is about as classic as it gets: from Kensou's outfit which is pure 90s fashion, to the Three Gorges stage of Team China which shows a sight that probably no longer exists due to the construction of the dam there in the 2000's in real life, to jump CD being a thing every character can do if you don't know what to do. You already like Samurai Shodown, so I don't need to sell you on that. In theory I like Last Blade games, which are beautiful and have lots of neat systems and awesome characters. In practice, the games for me feel strangely stiff and awkward to play, and I've never quite been able to put my finger on why, especially given that I love Samurai Shodown. Art of Fighting 3

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Art of Fighting 3 is silky smooth and has some beautiful backgrounds, but I gotta say, it has the softest looking hits of any fighting game I can think of. I wonder if they actually motion captured all the animations for the game in house cos everyone moves like they're LARPing. Lenny's whip attacks look like soft caresses and Jin Fu Ha has a special where he literally just does a cartwheel. Like, a very weirdly realistic, mundane looking cartwheel. He has another one where he sticks his arms out and twirls like he's pretending to be a helicopter. When he does his jumping elbow drop he lands limp on his back, face staring upward like he just hurt himself.

The dot art is impressive and the animations are impressively smooth, but the actual motions lack style and impact.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a jerk just, AOF3 stands out to me as an example of how more frames of animation doesn't necessarily mean better animation.

Waku Waku 7 though. Dear lord, that game is beauuuuutiful. Such a great cast of characters too! And the endings are hilarious.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sun 22 Mar 13:50]

sibarraz
544th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Sun 22 Mar 14:28post reply

quote:

Various: Garou Mark of the Wolves is probably the smoothest playing game on it, and is gorgeous. MotW is almost precisely SNK's answer to the SF3 series, which history now shows was something that commercially nobody should have attempted/bothered to top. KOF'98 is about as classic as it gets: from Kensou's outfit which is pure 90s fashion, to the Three Gorges stage of Team China which shows a sight that probably no longer exists due to the construction of the dam there in the 2000's in real life, to jump CD being a thing every character can do if you don't know what to do. You already like Samurai Shodown, so I don't need to sell you on that. In theory I like Last Blade games, which are beautiful and have lots of neat systems and awesome characters. In practice, the games for me feel strangely stiff and awkward to play, and I've never quite been able to put my finger on why, especially given that I love Samurai Shodown. Art of Fightin

As far as I know, Art of Fighting 3 use rotoscoping for their animations. Today we where talking with a friend about this game, we came to the conclusion that the game is beautiful, and that the gameplay could be fun, but that the game is very hard to play. AOF 3 is an odd game since it was like SNK decided to make a tekken game in 2D, the combos require a godlike timing. Also, this game has the blandest characters ever designed by SNK. Even ryo and robert look boring here. Overall this game is one of the weirdest fighting games for me since I think that is an underrated game but at the same time is an incredible bad game. I depends on the mood that I had on the day that I decide to play AOF 3

Now, if I had to reccomend SNK fighters, I will pick this ones.

Fatal Fury Special: Now in order to enjoy this game you must had the feeling of those games from 1993. Is slow as heel and the commands could be a little clunky, but this game is so fun, in 1 player mode it offers a good challenge and in versus you will enjoy all the matchups that the game offer. Some characters are super good (joe, kim geese) but overall every character is fun to play. Also, I love all the details that the backgrounds had. Also, krauser stage is the best shit that you will see in your with an orchestra playing dies irae while krauser promises you to chisel your gravestone.

World Heroes Perfect: Sadly the last game of the saga from ADK. The biggest tragedy is that just when it looked like ADK learned how to make fighters, they stopped doing them. This game is kinda curious, each character has a sort of "drive" that you get pressing ABC and that helps them to differentiate from each other.

KOF 95: Another great game who could feel a little clunky but that had some exciting matches in versus, since the damage is so high that you need to think very well your moves if you don't want to die instantly. This is my favorite kof from the neo geo era, also the OST is top notch. THE ONLY con is that could feel a bit outdates and slow next to pretty much every other kof not named XII

Real Bout 2: Great game with an entertaining combo system and a great variety of characters. Is one of the most beautiful neo geo games and is a very balanced game

Last Blade: Is a masterpiece, this game represents all the love that SNK gave to his fighters.

Garou: This was SNK saying screw it capcom we will make a game of your style better than you. If they achieved that I doubt it, but is a game this is awesome to play for how complex is. Also the animations and backgrounds are amazing, Is incredible to think that the Neo Geo saw the birth of the series and also his end, with an evolution that I doubt that anybody could see in 1990

King of Fighters 2000: The swan song of SNK, this game has the best use of the strikers system in the series, but also is a bit broken. Still, is cool to see what SNK saw as his farewall of the industry

And for no SNK games, but that somehow we still feel as SNK fighters

Breakers Revenge: This game feels a lot like street fighter, Sho is broken as fuck, but is a fun game.

Yamazaki_RJ
23th Post

PSN: Yamazaki_RJ

New Customer

"So Rock was adopted..." , posted Sun 22 Mar 15:45post reply

A brazilian governamental site on Facebook did this image to comment a minister's decision in favor of the adoption of children by homoafetive couples.

the real kap
62th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):So Rock was adopted..." , posted Sun 22 Mar 21:29post reply

quote:
A brazilian governamental site on Facebook did this image to comment a minister's decision in favor of the adoption of children by homoafetive couples.

It seems that Jenet and Asuka are also bumping, hahaha

caiooa
24th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Sun 22 Mar 22:48post reply

Snk have experimented a lot with 3D mechanics, specially in fatal fury 3 and aof 3. The sidesteps, juggle and chains used are remarkably from 3D fighting games.

The rotoscoped sprites didn't work so well at that time (1996). But it's rumored that they absorved Stell hearth (Daraku tenshi development group) and used their style for garou motws, no?

Iggy
9880th Post

"Re(8):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Sun 22 Mar 23:17post reply

Maou, I think you need to provide more focus to help this discussion go anywhere.
Do you want to play a game with people, and thus are you looking for the best gameplay mechanics that still hold up? Then go to the classics, Garô Special, RB2, KOF98/2002, SamuSpi0SP...
But you'll need friends to play those. Even if you get a version with working netcode AND you manage to find an opponent, it would probably like jumping online for the first time in Third Strike and get obliterated by an army of Aegis Reflectors and Geneijins.

If you want to understand what made SNK great at the time regardless on how the games stand up in 2015, focus on two things: esthetics and scenario.
Esthetics champions could be SamuSpi 3 (Zanmaden) and 0 Special, Last Blade 1&2, Real Bout, Aof Gaiden for the failed experiment it is... I also have a soft spot for KOF 96, and KOF 99-2000 have gorgeous backgrounds even though the sprites are less than perfect.
Scenario focus would be AoF 1 and 2, KOF 95-97, Garô 1-2-3-RB, Last Blade 1&2... You would need to play them as storied, sequentially. KOF97 is not that interesting if you don't consider it was built up all the way from 2 games prior. Also, try to read the stories that were published in Neo Geo Freak at the time, as they frame the narrative and explain who are these people or why does Kyo changes drastically in 96. This feeling of playing a great fighting game that also unfolds like a good manga from the 90s has yet to be reproduced and explains why the yearly KOF were such a success.

Finally, if you want to understand SNK's legacy on the system side, you absolutely should play every game in order. Garô 3 is one of the worst games of the series, but it's a fantastic game to analyze when you think of where it came from (how do you top Garô Special, the most successful game of the time?) and what answers it came up with. Plus, it looks great. Playing all the Garô games allows for a better understanding of why, even amongst hardcore SNK fans, many have nothing but contempt for the KOF series.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised by the amount of love MOTW receives here. I thought SNK purists considered it as a streamlined and bastardized attempt to get back at Capcom, without any of the depth that made the series distinctive in the first place. Of course, it plays fine and is very welcoming for Capcom players (which is one of its main flaws in a way), but I personally find SvC Chaos a much more interesting game to study than MOTW.

the real kap
63th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Sun 22 Mar 23:28post reply

quote:
but I personally find SvC Chaos a much more interesting game to study than MOTW.

They could start with locking the composers in a psych ward and asking what the Christ they were thinking.

Spoon
2829th Post

"Re(9):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Mon 23 Mar 02:37post reply

quote:
MOTW

The beauty of the game is seductive, for sure. If we're just talking about appeal on that level, I don't think it's at all unreasonable why the game gets so much attention. I think it's also interesting to consider from the perspective of trying to deconstruct what SNK thought was good/important from SF3 and how they should put that into their game, even on really superficial things. That doesn't mean that the decisions were right, of course. As a Guilty Gear fan, it's even interesting to see how MOTW had a proto-FRC system in place. From the modern perspective of an outsider, the feel of MOTW and how good it looks make it easily approachable. Whether it being approachable on the basis of its homogeneity is a positive or negative trait is subject to debate.

It certainly abandoned a lot of unique/innovative mechanics from FF. The proto-3D dodging/movement that was a staple of it went, and that to me was a big shock.

quote:
AoF3 pillowfisted fighting

See, I thought this too at first: that the characters did these gorgeously animated attacks that... for no reason, cause people to flip into the air! Or reel backwards in a gazillion frames of animation. It had hit responses that seemed nonsensical! Look at all these ground moves that pop people weirdly into the air and then you sort of do a (nicely animated) ground chain that carries them along! And those punch chains where they sort of shuffle along and dish out jabs, what the heck?! They look even weirder when they're used as juggles! WEIRD.

But when you look at it from the perspective of how Virtua Fighter and Tekken and other early 3D fighters moved, it starts to make sense. It's so obsessed with duplicating the "every direction + button yields some different normal that probably chains into something else and everything juggles and there are these bizarre semi-launchers and juggles and people jump A MILE HIGH TO SHOW OFF THE FACT THAT THE GAME IS IN 3D AND WE CAN PULL THE CAMERA OUT and and and" that it even goes and tries its own take on the contact or lack of contact in those games. Have you watched a video of what hit reactions to normal strikes look like in VF1 or Tekken 1? Especially in VF1, which had no real hitstop, no hit sparks, and hit animations involving very sudden flinching that seem to happen on frame 1 of the collision detection, it has a weirdly fake contact that almost doesn't seem out of place in bad action movies/wrestling.

But in the context of the SNK oeuvre, AoF3 is pretty amazing for how much it tried, and how it tried to adapt a particular aspect of 3D fighter gameplay style into 2D. It retained some AoF staples like the energy gauge for specials/supers (taunting lowered the enemy's bar! I love it!).

You could probably draw a lineage from AoF3 to Buriki One. Going from the 80s/early 90s kung fu movie influenced AoF to the Grappler Baki/Garouden inspired deliberately MMA game Buriki One is either a too-brilliantly-cutting-edge move, or a bet on a piece of pop culture (guess how much of North America knew about the Gracies etc. in the world of pre-Zuffa UFC without mainstream internet) that didn't resonate with the rest of the world pre-mainstream-Internet.

Ishmael
5121th Post

"Re(10):Operation: make me like SNK fighters" , posted Mon 23 Mar 12:25post reply

I was going to say something but Iggy said everything I wanted to say and said it better to boot. He brought up my feelings that KoF is the least interesting SNK fighter. I've always felt that SNK became a victim of their own success and ended up letting their odd, endearing fighters wither away so they could concentrate on the more conservative and less charming KoF.

The only thing I disagree with is SvC. That game should be approached in the same way one pokes at a dead frog in a Biology class. You might want to put a credit or two in the game but only as long as you recognize that you are studying how it was put together and that the subject has no life whatsoever.

Evil Yagami
160th Post

Regular Customer

"New Dragon Gal Pachislot Game!" , posted Mon 23 Mar 14:18post reply

SNK announced today new Dragon Gal pachislot game, the visuals look nice in 3D, in my opinion it's close to Guilty Gear xrd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx71D6vrUYg

http://slot.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/dragongal_souryu/index.html

Loona
836th Post

"Re(1):New Dragon Gal Pachislot Game!" , posted Mon 23 Mar 18:47post reply

quote:
SNK announced today new Dragon Gal pachislot game, the visuals look nice in 3D, in my opinion it's close to Guilty Gear xrd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx71D6vrUYg

http://slot.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/dragongal_souryu/index.html

It's weird to think that a slot-only franchise by SNKP is celebrating its 10th anniversary...
The aesthetics do bring to mind early Dragon Ball, and the animation looks alright, at least - there's some charm in that, despite how its actually used.

Interesting opinions here on KoF - in a way, I tend to see it as the Justice League to Fatal Fury's Gotham City. It's supposed to include it, but the need for a grander scale and stakes tends to leave out the smaller setting's particular charm. When it comes to mechanics, it doesn't allow itself to be as experimental, at least as long as it's not successful enough to give devs some breathing room to try new things in a non-KoF series.

...!!

Maou
2759th Post

"let's go to South Town" , posted Tue 24 Mar 00:21:post reply

Good call, Iggy. These are all great suggestions, and if I were to focus them, I could think of two ways, and I'd love to learn further form people here:

1. Essentials: As with Capcom, SNK's fighting game output is too prolific to be comprehensible to the outsider. But if someone were to ask me the pre-modern SF essentials that were both important AND that someone might play with me, I could do it easily: SSFII X (acme of both old-school mechanics and atmosphere), SFZero 2 (acme of Zero series aesthetics and the core of modern SF gameplay), Third Strike (most technical, most gorgeous, most popular for tournaments). How can SNK be approached similarly?

2. Aesthetics: Prof, Iggy, and others have talked intriguingly about the manga aesthtic, story, and loving attention to detail in certain games--shredded clothes, interactions with the backgrounds, different responses by different characters. Even if there's no one who still plays them, I wouldn't mind exploring some of these just as discrete art pieces I could share with small groups.

...it would be nice if in either case, the games were reasonably obtained in some form other than "getting a Neo-Geo."

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 24 Mar 00:25]

Iggy
9881th Post

"Re(1):let's go to South Town" , posted Tue 24 Mar 02:05post reply

Dear Maou,

Unfortunately, it has come to my attention that this conversation cannot continue any longer, due to irreconcilable differences. The reverent of my church advised me to stop answering your messages until you remove the mediocre games (no offense, but it's true) you have listed as "Capcom essentials" and accept your true (Vampire) Savior.

Best regards and may all the heretics burn in hell.

---------

More seriously and on the topic of esthetics, I think one of the most singular choices that make SNK stand out is their odd choice of atmosphere.
While most Capcom games are lively, energetic, visually stunning in the most immediately satisfying way, many of SNK's classic prefer a more subtle approach to visuals.

Ignoring SvC's depressing/depressed tone, Last Blade is particularly remarkable for having downright melancholic backgrounds, as well as some gently sad moments in the scenario if you all let it play out. SamuSpi also assessed a lot of its visual identity by going with romantic backgrounds inspired by classic swordplay movies, sometimes even relinquishing music entirely in favour of mere background noises. I can't think of any Capcom game that would have taken this route. The closest would be War Agony in Savior? The effect is intentional ruined by it belonging to Buletta, though.

Maou
2759th Post

"Re(2):let's go to South Town" , posted Tue 24 Mar 03:20post reply

quote:
your true (Vampire) Savior.

My dear Iggyngton,

My lawyers have advised me to admit to your superior taste and to clarify that Vampire Saviour is really neat, even if I don't understand it at all (see also: Guilty Gear). They further suggested I clarify I was ill-advisedly thinking almost of SNK as a series rather than a whole range of output, thus limiting the purview of my post to SF. I do, however, have documented evidence that could point to my opinions on additional non-SF essentials and add an entry for Justice Gakuen as acme of bad systems salvaged by marvelous characters (could the latter point be a point of entry for me to SNK's world at last?!) and must remind you that my Nekketsu Seishun Nikki characters have been implied to bed more people than yours, including Hinata, Kyoko, and possibly Daigo.

Yours sincerely,
Maou

Loona
838th Post

"Re(1):let's go to South Town" , posted Tue 24 Mar 20:41:post reply

quote:
1. Essentials: As with Capcom, SNK's fighting game output is too prolific to be comprehensible to the outsider. But if someone were to ask me the pre-modern SF essentials that were both important AND that someone might play with me, I could do it easily: SSFII X (acme of both old-school mechanics and atmosphere), SFZero 2 (acme of Zero series aesthetics and the core of modern SF gameplay), Third Strike (most technical, most gorgeous, most popular for tournaments). How can SNK be approached similarly?

The classic golden trio of SNK competition would probably be KoF98, KoF2002 and Garou, although for the KoFs you would be well served by the UM updates, both of which are available on Steam - some people swear by the original versions, but maybe those were the ones where they're used to winning games.
(Well, 98's Extra mode did get tweaks IIRC).
Garou did well on a recent poll by SNKP, so if you can't find an older port, there will probably be new ones in the near future.
Samurai Shodown V Special is also respected, but it's only officially released on the NeoGeo - it did well on the poll mentioned above, just behind the more famous Garou and LB2, so hopefully SNKP might decide they should make some money off of it, instead of restricting player choices to the NeoGeo 2nd-hand market or piracy.

quote:

2. Aesthetics: Prof, Iggy, and others have talked intriguingly about the manga aesthtic, story, and loving attention to detail in certain games--shredded clothes, interactions with the backgrounds, different responses by different characters. Even if there's no one who still plays them, I wouldn't mind exploring some of these just as discrete art pieces I could share with small groups.

...it would be nice if in either case, the games were reasonably obtained in some form other than "getting a Neo-Geo."

When it comes to story, there are 3 or 4 rough continuities of games at work that don't necessarily match release order, so the levels of craftsmanship change wildly if you follow events in chronological order, but often the connection is small enough that each game can be enjoyed on its own.

It's generally accepted that the South Town games follow this order of events:
Last Blade series -> Art of Fighting series -> Fatal Fury series -> Fu'un series
LB connects to AoF via Zantetsu's legacy - his endings show Eiji from AoF in them. The supernatural plot points in FF starting with FF3 make more sense taking into account LB's own setting.
The stories of Geese, South Town and the Sakazaki legacy are what tie AoF and FF together.
The Fu'un series is a strange little oddity, but one of its characters claims to have met someone fitting Terry's description - it's not an essential sub-series, but gets mentioned for completeness'sake.

Samurai Shodown appears to be its own thing, although it acknowledges the South Town games through several nods, like cameos in the endings or the secret referee challenge in SS2 that uses moves from the other games. SS doesn't take itself too seriously at times - Wan-Fu's SS2 ending openly breaks the 4th wall to deny you an ending, one of the later games has the bald characters of the series ganging up on another character to shave his head.
The chronological order of the games can be tricky to figure out, in part because they kill a popular character in her SS2 ending and want to keep her around, not to mention things like the RPG and 3D games most people don't have access to.
Still, the better games of the series hold their own pretty well, and SS2 is one such game, which improved just about everything that could possibly be improved about the original (unless you really really liked Tam-Tam, but then you want to stick with Cham-Cham and pay attention to her monkey) with plenty of little details, from the painting of Charlotte's stage, to Genjuro and Haohmaru's endings matching, to each character getting his or her own item that spills out of them when they're cut in half.
Most of the Neo games were covered in the PS2-era Anthology, and SS2's availability on mobile bodes well for a possible port to Steam or other modern system.
The anniversary site for the series might be worth looking into.

KoF borrows a lot from the South Town games, or course, but between its team system and original characters and setting, story-wise its stakes tend to be higher (what's problematic for a single character wouldn't be for a group of them), but it strikes a nice balance between referencing and continuing the stories from the FF and AoF games and focusing on its own.
For example, while it's never clear if the events from AoF ever happened in the KoF story due to the age differences (in FF the AoF characters would be a decade older), the Sakazakis have gone on to develop their own little sitcom stories in the series' backstories and endings.
Kyo and the Ikari team always have some connection to every story game's primary plot, but the focus isn't necessarily on them. The series has changed protagonists with every major story arc, but still keeps some characters around to work as a "bridge" between events. Arguably, in the middle of the latest arc they've actually switched the protagonist from Ash to Elisabeth.
Kensou has never been a protagonist in his own original game or KoF team, but he's been developing a story of his own since KoF99, and that's not settled yet, although several games since then have added relevant elements to that for those paying attention.
The anniversary site for the series is a pretty handy source of backstory for each game that actually has one (although it's still missing XIII - for that there's archive.org's backup of the Atlus site).
The only games that aren't story-relevant and 98, 2002 and XII, but even those have little nods, like character-specific intros (Kyo and Chizuru in 98 comes to mind, as she shown off the Yata mirror); despite lacking a plot, 2002 actually introduced a character, Kusanagi, and 2002UM intrduced Nameless and a story for him, intended to replace K9999; XII is considered a low point, but still has character-specific victory quotes, like observations of Iori losing his flames, or Ryo being a dick to Ash by cutting his painted nails.
One of the greatest things about XIII in-game is the dialogues between nearly every possible character pair (not all, because it only applies to single player mode, and the DLC characters aren't CPU challengers and you can't play as the bosses) - they're practically all transcribed at GameFAQs.com, although it's missing the Story mode specific dialogues which are between character trios instead of just individual characters. There are plenty of references to past games (even stuff as obscure as 3-Count Bout) and character-specific trivia (from Takuma's old acquaintances to Mai justifying the way she dresses).
I absolutely recommend Chin's dialogue, the old man's a master troll who still has some pretty nice insights on most others.
There's also some interesting stuff in the SvC Chaos dialogues, often from Tessa/Tabasa, who appears to know everybody's lore.

Then there's stuff like KoF Maximum Impact, especially the 2nd one - it's in its own continuity, which is a bit of a blend of the KoF and FF ones (KoF ages, but dead Geese). It focuses a bit too much on its own original characters, but is filled with nods to past games that make sense, like Mai having Andy Kouhadan special, since it's a Shiranui technique he learned from her family, or Ryo using the uppercut super Marco uses in Garou (which he's supposed to have learned from Ryo). Not to mentioned the many outfits and stage cameos referencing numerous games.
It's a PS2 game, but maybe there'll be a port one day.

I probably ended writing too much, but it's a broad topic - I'll glady go into greater detail about more specific stuff as needed.

...!!

[this message was edited by Loona on Tue 24 Mar 21:09]

chazumaru
1456th Post

"Re(2):let's go to South Town" , posted Tue 24 Mar 21:14post reply

Since you mentioned you'll go through those SNK fighting games via PS Archives, my only advice will be: don't buy any PS1 game. The PS1 versions sucked. The PS2 games/collections are fine, although some earlier compilation releases (until 2007) have small emulation issues.

Męme Narumi est épatée !

Maou
2761th Post

"Re(3):let's go to South Town" , posted Wed 25 Mar 02:45:post reply

quote:
Since you mentioned you'll go through those SNK fighting games via PS Archives, my only advice will be: don't buy any PS1 game. The PS1 versions sucked. The PS2 games/collections are fine, although some earlier compilation releases (until 2007) have small emulation issues.

Yeah, PSN is so clogged with garbage PS1 ports and so sparse on wonderful PS2 arcade-perfect ports like SFZero Collection, what a waste. But I hadn't even considered Steam, so add that to the list if they are available in Japan! The scattered, disorganized nature of official emulation/ports is one of the bigger barriers to getting into Garou/KOF for me.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 25 Mar 02:53]

Professor
4253th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):let's go to South Town" , posted Wed 25 Mar 13:42:post reply

Lunch break! A tad off-topic, I was mentioning in the general fighting games thread about this-- the latest patch for Quiz Magic Academy (arcades) has a result screen that's reminicent to the AOF series. MUST PLAY.

https://twitter.com/sasadon_now/status/580583242644000769
https://twitter.com/taso_qma/status/580569838759874560

Fan reactions have been good

I'll probably compile these later tonight. > Done!

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 25 Mar 20:10]

chazumaru
1458th Post

"Let's go to Quiz Town" , posted Wed 25 Mar 19:47:post reply

I am not sure in which topic we'll pursue that conversation but isn't it amazing that Quiz Magical Academy has survived the demise of the original Winning Eleven team, the original Bemani staff, Kojima Productions, the Love Plus team, IGA and possibly the entire Castlevania franchise, and so many other landmark Konami studios and franchises in the past decade?

Then again, casting Norio Wakamoto as a giant talking eagle will understandably do great things to expand your life expectancy.

On topic, it's sad that SNK is not jumping on the quiz bandwagon when they could easily revive either Quiz Neo&Geo or Quiz KOF on smartphones. I love quiz games.

Męme Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 25 Mar 19:51]

Professor
4253th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Let's go to Quiz Town" , posted Wed 25 Mar 20:10post reply

quote:
I am not sure in which topic we'll pursue that conversation but isn't it amazing that Quiz Magical Academy has survived the demise of the original Winning Eleven team, the original Bemani staff, Kojima Productions, the Love Plus team, IGA and possibly the entire Castlevania franchise, and so many other landmark Konami studios and franchises in the past decade?

Then again, casting Norio Wakamoto as a giant talking eagle will understandably do great things to expand your life expectancy.

On topic, it's sad that SNK is not jumping on the quiz bandwagon when they could easily revive either Quiz Neo&Geo or Quiz KOF on smartphones. I love quiz games.

You can repost that comment here! I've made a thread of its own because it ended up being pretty huge.

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13522.shtml

neo0r0chiaku
2th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Thu 26 Mar 00:28post reply

With SNK not releasing anything for us in the past years since the last KOF, wouldn’t make sense to release let’s say, a New MOTW, Metal Slug, and Samurai Shodown. This will be in 2-D (new animation and drawings of course) and with online mode. Put it in one media disc compilation for say $50 bucks. Download the each game for $20 each.
Main point is, it would be new 2-D games but SNK would have invested their time on the online mode. To make sure they keep in contact with everyone around to world to have access in using the game to play against others. Wouldn’t sell more and live up to its standards for now during this slow period?
They can use downloadable packs for other modes and features and charge the customer. That is for a whole other topic though. My recommendation is, these three new games, with your basic arcade, VS, training, and a fully invested time and effort online mode. Every SNK fan is back online and growing, then the new KOF can come out!
My idea of KOF, is the next one should be a dream match but if it starts with a new story, they should use the new generation (i.e. MOTW characters). All the original characters are either dead, old, or retired.

quote:
Last posts from previous thread--

Doshin
"Re(3):Tencent and SNK!" , posted Wed 11 Mar 18:50

Consumer Psychology-
The company is looking for psychology graduates to work in their development team to make their games more appealing. I guess they still haven't figured out why MSD had so many downloads.

Maybe they should try using common sense. Then again, SNK was never known for that. I guess that's what happens when you have confused businessmen out of touch with their own business.

quote:Statistics and Analysis-

sibarraz
"Re(4):Tencent and SNK!" , posted Thu 12 Mar 00:33

Consumer Psychology-

Statistics and Analysis-

Long Live!

kofoguz
1161th Post

"Re(3):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Thu 26 Mar 06:50post reply

quote:
With SNK not releasing anything for us in the past years since the last KOF, wouldn’t make sense to release let’s say, a New MOTW, Metal Slug, and Samurai Shodown. This will be in 2-D (new animation and drawings of course) and with online mode. Put it in one media disc compilation for say $50 bucks. Download the each game for $20 each.
Main point is, it would be new 2-D games but SNK would have invested their time on the online mode. To make sure they keep in contact with everyone around to world to have access in using the game to play against others. Wouldn’t sell more and live up to its standards for now during this slow period?
They can use downloadable packs for other modes and features and charge the customer. That is for a whole other topic though. My recommendation is, these three new games, with your basic arcade, VS, training, and a fully invested time and effort online mode. Every SNK fan is back online and growing, then the new KOF can come out!
My idea of KOF, is the next one should be a dream match but if it starts with a new story, they should use the new generation (i.e. MOTW characters). All the original characters are either dead, old, or retired.

I usually dont like this but if it helps us to see old IPs to come back I'm all for episodic/season style ala KI or Blazblue. Think about a 2D World Heroes with starter roster of six. Like you said focus on good Netcode and beautiful atmosphere and expand from there. With DLC and seasons.

Spoon
2830th Post

"Re(4):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Thu 26 Mar 08:07post reply

If you consider Tekken's time-honored tradition of time-released characters, it actually makes Tekken the best fit of all for seasonal character release.

caiooa
26th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Sun 29 Mar 07:08:post reply

This link is circling around twitter: World heroes 2 concepts documentation :)

[this message was edited by caiooa on Sun 29 Mar 07:09]

Professor
4255th Post

MMCafe Owner

"The NeoGeo console had a Mahjong controller" , posted Sun 29 Mar 19:15:post reply

Now, this I didn't know!

http://u-a-c-me.doorblog.jp/archives/43561893.html

caiooa-- that's a really interesting document! Apparently the planner staff was hoping to surpass SF2 with WH2. The initial plans for additional characters are totally different from the final product, lol.

MC Fire- (USA) Rap dancer.. holy crap it's MC Hammer
Favorite artist: Bobby Brown
Abyss- (Egypt) A fighter that only uses his head and legs, because hands are holy to his culture
Ature- World's youngest Muay-thai champ, female.

That site even has stuff on World Heroes Perfect too! Cool.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 29 Mar 19:26]

HAYATO
1197th Post

PSN: Lord-Hayato

"Re(1):The NeoGeo console had a Mahjong contro" , posted Sun 29 Mar 21:32post reply

quote:
Now, this I didn't know!

http://u-a-c-me.doorblog.jp/archives/43561893.html

caiooa-- that's a really interesting document! Apparently the planner staff was hoping to surpass SF2 with WH2. The initial plans for additional characters are totally different from the final product, lol.

MC Fire- (USA) Rap dancer.. holy crap it's MC Hammer
Favorite artist: Bobby Brown
Abyss- (Egypt) A fighter that only uses his head and legs, because hands are holy to his culture
Ature- World's youngest Muay-thai champ, female.

That site even has stuff on World Heroes Perfect too! Cool.

Wow, it seems I came back in time to get my regular dose of interesting and obscure stuff!

Professor's post about the Neo-Geo Mahjong controller has left me speechless. I didn't even remember there were mahjong games available for the console! Plus, that Samurai Spirits Hanafuda set sported below looks really neat as well...

And what to say about caiooa's web... is that any kind of "SNK's Secret Files" repository? There's tons of info and rare pics on the site, along with those development notes. Nice findings!!

Ishmael
5122th Post

"Re(6):SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Editi" , posted Tue 31 Mar 01:31post reply

quote:
This link is circling around twitter: World heroes 2 concepts documentation :)

While I'm glad that Mudman made the cut over Abyss I must say that the sketches of possible head attacks are terrific.

Professor
4255th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Another new collaboration thing" , posted Tue 31 Mar 16:59post reply

http://mmoculture.com/2015/03/cyphers-nexon-moba-getting-the-king-of-fighters-mode-update/

kofoguz
1163th Post

"Re(1):Another new collaboration thing" , posted Wed 1 Apr 06:02post reply

quote:
http://mmoculture.com/2015/03/cyphers-nexon-moba-getting-the-king-of-fighters-mode-update/

Kyo's promotional art has waist almost as thin as the girl's waist on Hayato's sig. Why is he that anorexic?

the real kap
66th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Another new collaboration thing" , posted Wed 1 Apr 06:43post reply

quote:
Kyo's promotional art has waist almost as thin as the girl's waist on Hayato's sig. Why is he that anorexic?

This spring, you won't believe how many calories the flames of Kusanagi can burn.

Lord SNK
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"The grandmother of all battles!!!" , posted Sat 4 Apr 05:59post reply

...and after Garou, now we have also Fatal Fury Special for smartphones!
https://youtu.be/7bLfB21XdgU

the real kap
68th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):The grandmother of all battles!!!" , posted Sat 4 Apr 06:17post reply

quote:

Grandmother? Yeah, it sure is old.

sibarraz
545th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):The grandmother of all battles!!!" , posted Sat 4 Apr 09:25post reply

quote:

Grandmother? Yeah, it sure is old.

This must be the best fighting game in ios if you don't had a controller, since FFS is more about footsies and doesn't require as much motion controls as KOF or garou.

I know that the input for specials is harder than the other games, but here shines the macro options that this games had, plus, you can know play with ryo in arcade mode if you had never been able of trying him since he only was avaliable on versus mode

Spoon
2837th Post

"Re(3):The grandmother of all battles!!!" , posted Sat 4 Apr 12:27post reply

The thought of doing Lawrence Blood's super on touch controls amuses me.

Professor
4260th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):The grandmother of all battles!!!" , posted Sat 4 Apr 16:18post reply

Novice Level:

Intermediate Level:

Advance Level:

In the current era where can be done with , the Fatal Fury Special commands are crazy!

Lord SNK
52th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):The grandmother of all battles!!!" , posted Sat 4 Apr 22:16post reply

Duck King's super was the worst to perform for me.

Evil Yagami
161th Post

Regular Customer

"Ledo Millennium is trying to buy SNK PLAYMORE" , posted Sun 5 Apr 04:06post reply

Details on CX:

http://cyberfanatix.com/forums/index.php/topic,2804.msg68834.html#msg68834

the real kap
69th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Ledo Millennium is trying to buy SNK PL" , posted Sun 5 Apr 04:18post reply

quote:
Details on CX:

神圣的狗屎!

sibarraz
546th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Ledo Millennium is trying to buy SNK PL" , posted Sun 5 Apr 08:41post reply

quote:
Novice Level:

Intermediate Level:

Advance Level:

In the current era where can be done with , the Fatal Fury Special commands are crazy!

Don't forget juubei dm that was a command grab which required a charge

quote:
Details on CX:

神圣的狗屎!

I wonder which are the intentions of ledo millenium with SNK

the real kap
70th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Ledo Millennium is trying to buy SNK PL" , posted Sun 5 Apr 09:20post reply

quote:
I wonder which are the intentions of ledo millenium with SNK

Chinese Martial Arts MMO starring Hon-Fu, Tung, Chung, Cheng, Chin, Kensou, Bao, Xiangfei, Lin, Luan, Chat, Sai, Lee Pai Long, Lee Rekka, Wang Koh-San, Ron, Duo Lon, Shion, Shen Woo, Jin Chonshu, Jin Chonrei, Baitang and the entire Chinese Market Stage from KOF XIII. It's the only thing that makes sense.

caiooa
26th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):The grandmother of all battles!!!" , posted Mon 6 Apr 01:26post reply

quote:

I hope they put samurai shodown in smarthphones too

Enshinsatsu - 47896AB
Apefuchi Kamui Rimse - u.3214623BC
Plasma Factor - 21463214214AD > 214214623AD
Doro Nage - 163214623BC
Gedo no Emono Gari - 698741258CD

sibarraz
547th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):The grandmother of all battles!!!" , posted Mon 6 Apr 03:44post reply

quote:

I hope they put samurai shodown in smarthphones too

Enshinsatsu - 47896AB
Apefuchi Kamui Rimse - u.3214623BC
Plasma Factor - 21463214214AD > 214214623AD
Doro Nage - 163214623BC
Gedo no Emono Gari - 698741258CD

SS2 already is on smartphones.

Doing the supers with just touching the portrait is an smart decision

Digitalboy
779th Post

XBL: SupplyPigeon8(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

"Re(6):The grandmother of all battles!!!" , posted Wed 8 Apr 03:11post reply

Thanks for reminding me!
quote:

SS2 already is on smartphones.

Doing the supers with just touching the portrait is an smart decision

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Professor
4263th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Former SNK public relation arrested for fraud" , posted Thu 9 Apr 01:55:post reply

Shoichiro Takatsu, a former SNK public relations staff who's now a CEO of his own company was arrested today with 2 other suspects for a 200 million yen fraud (approx $2 million) involving the popular manga Konjiki No Gash!! (金色のガッシュ!!)

According to reports, Takatsu's group company licenced Konjiki no Gash to a pachinko maker for 200 million yen despite not actually having its rights and went as far as having someone presume the author's role to contact the pachislot maker when they started suspecting a fraud. The police are investigating other pachinko licenses that Takatsu's company may have faked, including Jojo's Bizzare Adventure and Slam Dunk.

During Takatsu's time back in SNK, he was pretty famous in the media as SNK's lead public relation figure, often appearing in mangas wearing Genjuro's costume.

http://www.sankei.com/affairs/news/150408/afr1504080018-n1.html

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 9 Apr 02:44]

Ishmael
5130th Post

"Re(1):Former SNK public relation arrested for" , posted Thu 9 Apr 02:54post reply

quote:
Shoichiro Takatsu, a former SNK public relations staff who's now a CEO of his own company was arrested today with 2 other suspects for a 200 million yen fraud (approx $2 million) involving the popular manga Konjiki No Gash!! (金色のガッシュ!!)

That outfit he wore for the CEO portrait practically screams "I engage in pachinko fraud."

sibarraz
548th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Former SNK public relation arrested for" , posted Thu 9 Apr 05:40post reply

quote:
That outfit he wore for the CEO portrait practically screams "I engage in pachinko fraud."

He actually reminds of one of the characters from the yakuza series

Loona
839th Post

"Re(1):Former SNK public relation arrested for" , posted Thu 9 Apr 18:20post reply

quote:

According to reports, Takatsu's group company licenced Konjiki no Gash to a pachinko maker for 200 million yen despite not actually having its rights and went as far as having someone presume the author's role to contact the pachislot maker when they started suspecting a fraud. The police are investigating other pachinko licenses that Takatsu's company may have faked, including Jojo's Bizzare Adventure and Slam Dunk.

During Takatsu's time back in SNK, he was pretty famous in the media as SNK's lead public relation figure, often appearing in mangas wearing Genjuro's costume.

Isn't he this guy who appears in one of the "use the NGPC instead of the B&W version" screens for SvC MotM?
I think I saw a couple of strips featuring him in a KoF97 mook too...

On one hand it's pretty weird to see someone that made himself a visible part of SNK's promotional efforts involved in shady stuff, but on the bright side, at least this piece of pachinko news isn't about the actual company for once.

This bring s minor brainfart to mind: how popular are business sim games in Japan?
Now that SNKP is putting stuff on Steam, the PC market is a little less foreign to them, even if the PC doesn't seem to have that much traction in Japan.
The thought of SNKP making and releasing some sort of "Pachinko Tycoon" game which they could both sell as a source of income, and use to outsource successful business strategies from players to help them run their business (over time patching any mechanics that end up detracting too much from the business reality of it all) could be an interesting way for them to diversify.

...!!

Professor
4265th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Former SNK public relation arrested for" , posted Thu 9 Apr 22:25:post reply

quote:
Isn't he this guy who appears in one of the "use the NGPC instead of the B&W version" screens for SvC MotM?
I think I saw a couple of strips featuring him in a KoF97 mook too...

On one hand it's pretty weird to see someone that made himself a visible part of SNK's promotional efforts involved in shady stuff, but on the bright side, at least this p

That's him alright!
Business sims have its own niche market in Japan but I don't think a Pachinko version will sell well! Especially right now given how the market is shrinking.

To explain the Pachinko/Pachislot market without trying to sound too harsh, it's more or less "mindless entertainment for the lower IQ masses", so to speak. It's popular for two reasons, which is that it's braindead simple to play and it's one of the very few legal forms of gambling in Japan. It's traditionally been real popular in the countryside since they have very few entertainment spots.

Then came Smartphone games crushing all of that.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 9 Apr 23:23]

Loona
843th Post

"Re(3):Former SNK public relation arrested for" , posted Thu 9 Apr 23:32:post reply

quote:
Business sims have its own niche market in Japan but I don't think a Pachinko version will sell well! Especially right now given how the market is shrinking.

Without trying to sound too harsh, Pachinko/Pachislot is more or less "mindless entertainment for the lower IQ masses", so to speak. It's popular for two reasons, which is that it's braindead simple to play and it's one of the very few legal forms of gambling. It's traditionally been real popular in the countryside since they have very few entertainment spots.

Then came Smartphone games which is crushing all of that.

That would kind of be the point of going for a management sim (instead of/alongside actual pachinko cabinets and their baffling - to me - smartphone counterparts) - negotiating placement of your machines and in which amounts, tweaking their payout odds, associating them with IPs (licensed, adapted or original) taking into account their cost, expected public and locations, advertising/promoting, etc...

Something more engaging than the actual pachinko "gameplay", which seems extremely limited.

If the pachinko business is in decline, it could be an interesting way to turn SNKP's business guys from that side of the company into the role of subject matter experts/consultants that could be useful to the video game side, if there's ever a plan to internally ramp down the slot side of things.

...!!

[this message was edited by Loona on Fri 10 Apr 18:20]

Evil Yagami
162th Post

Regular Customer

"Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMORE!" , posted Fri 10 Apr 00:11post reply

The company behind KOF '97 OL is Ledo interactive, check this:

http://mmoculture.com/2015/04/the-king-of-fighters-97-online-android-beta-begins-in-china-soon/
http://www.giantbomb.com/ledo-interactive/3010-10607/

- What I can't understand that Leyou Technologies main business is food, what is the relation between making video games and food?!

https://www.google.com/finance?cid=5683120

- I heard in many different websites that Leyou Technologies is planning to buy Ledo Interactive after getting SNK PLAYMORE!!

http://www.true-gaming.net/home/257954/ ~ Arabic ~

Professor
4266th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMORE!" , posted Fri 10 Apr 01:52:post reply

quote:
What I can't understand that Leyou Technologies main business is food, what is the relation between making video games and food?!

- I heard in many different websites that Leyou Technologies is planning to buy Ledo Interactive after getting SNK PLAYMORE!!

Leyou Technologies was known as Sumpo Food Holdings (Ltd) until 4-5 months ago when they changed their name. They're apparently expanding business from agriculture and they already got majority stake of the Canadian development firm Digital Extremes last year.

FYI, Digital Extremes is known for the F2P game Warframe and also as one of the studios that helped make the Bioshock series.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 10 Apr 01:53]

Spoon
2839th Post

"Re(2):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMORE!" , posted Fri 10 Apr 03:26post reply

quote:
What I can't understand that Leyou Technologies main business is food, what is the relation between making video games and food?!

Leyou Technologies was known as Sumpo Food Holdings (Ltd) until 4-5 months ago when they changed their name. They're apparently expanding business from agriculture and they already got majority stake of the Canadian development firm Digital Extremes last year.

FYI, Digital Extremes is known for the F2P game Warframe and also as one of the studios that helped make the Bioshock series.

The acquisition of DE was a big deal, given that they were a historically important game studio (they had a significant role in the development of the early Unreal games), as well as one with a currently popular product (Warframe). The DE acquisition deal included Chinese giant Perfect World taking a token 3% of the shares of DE... which is a really tiny amount. Leyou is absolutely calling the shots at DE, but it probably spells some greater strategic partnership between Leyou and PW.

PW is the sole operator of Dota2 in China, which isn't quite as big of a deal as Tencent running the show/owning League of Legends, but it's up there.

Random conjecture:
Imagine if what this really means is Leyou creating a 3D multiplayer PvE/PvP KOF/Metal Slug/<other SNK property> game.

caiooa
27th Post

Rare Customer

"SNK Stuff Thread 13 - Spring 2015 Edition" , posted Fri 10 Apr 05:41post reply

The "Kof triple pack" on steam is in a flash sale for 50% in the next 44hours
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/64698/

Loona
843th Post

"Re(3):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMORE!" , posted Fri 10 Apr 18:29post reply

quote:

The acquisition of DE was a big deal, given that they were a historically important game studio (they had a significant role in the development of the early Unreal games), as well as one with a currently popular product (Warframe). The DE acquisition deal included Chinese giant Perfect World taking a token 3% of the shares of DE... which is a really tiny amount. Leyou is absolutely calling the shots at DE, but it probably spells some greater strategic partnership between Leyou and PW.

PW is the sole operator of Dota2 in China, which isn't quite as big of a deal as Tencent running the show/owning League of Legends, but it's up there.

Random conjecture:
Imagine if what this really means is Leyou creating a 3D multiplayer PvE/PvP KOF/Metal Slug/<othe

Interesting info here, thanks!

While I'm not overly fond of the idea of SNKP getting bought, the concept of it having some relationship with other gaming companies that don't restrict their business to Asia might not be bad, as long as they still manage to do their own thing. They need to keep their stuff visible around the world, and a bit more frequently.

It was pretty frustrating to see someone bothered to make KoF MOBA, but that that never left Thailand AFAIK - it takes some short-sighted view, or weird international legal issues to lock your self out of a potentially big audience.

...!!

Sibarraz
549th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMORE!" , posted Fri 10 Apr 22:46post reply

quote:

The acquisition of DE was a big deal, given that they were a historically important game studio (they had a significant role in the developmient of the early Unreal games), as well as one with a currently popular product (Warframe). The DE acquisition deal included Chinese giant Perfect World taking a token 3% of the shares of DE... which is a really tiny amount. Leyou is absolutely calling the shots at DE, but it probably spells some greater strategic partnership between Leyou and PW.

Random conjecture:
Imagine if what this really means is Leyou creating a 3D multiplayer PvE/PvP KOF/Metal Slug/<othe

Interesting info here, thanks!

While I'm not overly fond of the idea of SNKP getting bought, the concept of it having some relationship with other gaming companies that don't restrict their business to Asia

In other markets of you aré not riot valve or blizzard tour moba will be dead on arrival specially that cheap knockoff that was KOF MOBA

Loona
844th Post

"Re(5):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMORE!" , posted Sat 11 Apr 00:51post reply

quote:
In other markets of you aré not riot valve or blizzard tour moba will be dead on arrival specially that cheap knockoff that was KOF MOBA

Especially if you don't bother to release an English version of your game. Staying in Thailand and keeping its information in Thai writing discouraged even the curious.

...!!

Spoon
2841th Post

"Re(6):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMORE!" , posted Sat 11 Apr 11:44post reply

If Ledo buys SNKP and has DE make a multiplayer Warframe-like game with Metal Slug IP, I don't know whether I will laugh or cry that a Metal Slug game becomes powered by an engine whose inaugural game was published by D3P. I totally do not expect them (DE or hypothetically SNKP) to have DE make an RTS-derived MOBA, those are the path-of-ruin genre that MMOs were, and RTS and FPS games were before that, especially given DE's total lack of experience in that genre anyway.

But for sure we're in an era where a game made of bite-sized arena fights that may or may not be multiplayer with lots of DLC is a totally viable model, much more so that one of enormously deep single player campaigns that come with a superficial multiplayer component.

samierre
13th Post

PSN: geese1howard

New Customer

"Re(7):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMORE!" , posted Sat 18 Apr 08:21post reply

snk is going to release 3 ps2 titles to the psn....i think
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/press/pdf/150415_01.pdf

these are:
kofmi2
kof11
samurai showdown6?

sorry son life is harsh
so learn to play along

samierre
14th Post

PSN: geese1howard

New Customer

"Re(8):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMORE!" , posted Sat 18 Apr 08:22post reply

quote:
snk is going to release 3 ps2 titles to the psn....i think
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/press/pdf/150415_01.pdf

these are:
kofmi2
kof2003
samurai showdown6?

sorry son life is harsh
so learn to play along

chazumaru
1467th Post

"Re(8):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMORE!" , posted Sat 18 Apr 16:30post reply

It's actually the fifth game, Samurai Spirits Zero (warning: not Zero Special / "Supisupe"). Otherwise, you are correct.
They were released this week in Japan, together with Minstrel Song, Suikoden III and Gradius V.

Męme Narumi est épatée !

Mosquiton
2032th Post

"Re(9):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMORE!" , posted Mon 20 Apr 10:41post reply

quote:
It's actually the fifth game, Samurai Spirits Zero (warning: not Zero Special / "Supisupe"). Otherwise, you are correct.

So the Samurai in question is Samurai Shodown V. I always like to see both since we're such an international board. And I personally enjoy using the shortened form "SamSho".

/ / /

Spoon
2848th Post

"Re(10):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMORE!" , posted Mon 20 Apr 11:20post reply

quote:

So the Samurai in question is Samurai Shodown V. I always like to see both since we're such an international board. And I personally enjoy using the shortened form "SamSho".

I'm hoping they one day re-release Samurai Shodown Anthology, because awful localization of SS6 notwithstanding, it was great to be able to get that much Samsho in one package.

Unfortunately, it too lacked supisupe.

Iggy
9893th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMOR" , posted Mon 20 Apr 18:30post reply

quote:
Samurai Shodown Anthology, because awful localization of SS6 notwithstanding
What was bad with it? I mean, was it worse than the usual SNK localization?

As for SupiSupe, it's annoying that they want to forget about it (because of the violence/fatality thing?). They did a "mild" version back in the day, why don't they use that one?

Spoon
2849th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMOR" , posted Tue 21 Apr 02:02post reply

quote:
Samurai Shodown Anthology, because awful localization of SS6 notwithstanding What was bad with it? I mean, was it worse than the usual SNK localization?

It was bad, and it wasn't memorably/entertainingly bad. Imagine something with bunches of grammar errors and missing punctuation, but without anything fun like "HORRIBLE ATMOSPHERE", or anything memorably idiosyncratic. Or maybe there was something fun, but I failed to find it because I didn't play through the single player of all of its wonderfully huge roster.

Frankly, I'm all for giving SS6 another chance if it were to be released on a machine I'm currently using, PC or console.

sibarraz
550th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMOR" , posted Tue 21 Apr 02:31post reply

I recall reading that SNK didn't wanted to release SSVSP out of respect of the neo geo collectors who bought the last game made by SNK for the console

Could be bullshit but I don't see other explanation since there is already a censored version avaliable

neo0r0chiaku
8th Post

XBL: IAMDC1

New Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMOR" , posted Tue 21 Apr 03:34post reply

quote:
Samurai Shodown Anthology, because awful localization of SS6 notwithstanding What was bad with it? I mean, was it worse than the usual SNK localization?

It was bad, and it wasn't memorably/entertainingly bad. Imagine something with bunches of grammar errors and missing punctuation, but without anything fun like "HORRIBLE ATMOSPHERE", or anything memorably idiosyncratic. Or maybe there was something fun, but I failed to find it because I didn't play through the single player of all of its wonderfully huge roster.

Frankly, I'm all for giving SS6 another chance if it were to be released on a machine I'm currently using, PC or console.

Wasn't the Anthology port the same as the original PS2 port? Except that all the unlockable features were unlocked from the start? I had the PS2 port for the Japanese PS2 and I enjoyed it.

Long Live!

caiooa
28th Post

Rare Customer

"Howard Arena MOTW 2on2" , posted Sun 26 Apr 01:34post reply

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial_jp/status/591593637156290560

http://destiny1211122.wix.com/mow-howardarena

https://twitter.com/let_it_rock69/status/591715219644125184

pretty cool to see snk linking info about this traditional tourney in their official acc

Abster
373th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Ledo Interactive and SNK PLAYMOR" , posted Mon 27 Apr 06:14post reply

quote:

Wasn't the Anthology port the same as the original PS2 port? Except that all the unlockable features were unlocked from the start? I had the PS2 port for the Japanese PS2 and I enjoyed it.

Yes, and it also gives you the option to use a redub that fixes some of the horribly bad voice acting the original version had, though not all of them. Unfortunately it doesn't also fix the Jaleco levels of bad translation to the script. I can at least give Tenka credit for actually having one to begin with because unless you were playing the stand alone console exclusive versions, SS Zero's story had no English translation whatsoever.

As for SupiSupe, I'm more inclined to believe it was because of them wanting it to stay Neo Geo exclusive as opposed to its violence factor. Sen was as violent as it could get outside Japan. SNKP USA went on record a number of times to try to get SupiSupe released outside the Neo Geo, including most recently in that poll they had for PSN releases. It finished third in the number of votes aside from Garou MOTW and Last Blade 2.

Iggy
9903th Post

"Metal Slug Defense on Steam ! Yeay !" , posted Fri 1 May 20:06post reply

... yeay...?

neo0r0chiaku
15th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Metal Slug Defense on Steam ! Yeay !" , posted Fri 1 May 23:51post reply

quote:
... yeay...?

Well, I say if it was on steam, it should be revamped entirely. Direct port, should stay as a handheld game to kill time.
Also, not sure if this was brought about before in BB, am I the only person to notice that the theme in Metal Slug 3 called The Unknown World (stage 1 branch, nuclear facility UFO) is exactly the same as the theme in Princess Crown called Mystery Wind

Long Live!

Ishmael
5151th Post

"Re(1):Metal Slug Defense on Steam ! Yeay !" , posted Sat 2 May 00:33post reply

quote:
... yeay...?

Nay!

the real kap
75th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Metal Slug Defense on Steam ! Yeay !" , posted Sat 2 May 03:32post reply

quote:
... yeay...?

Nay!

Sheneneh

Professor
4278th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Metal Slug Defense on Steam ! Yeay !" , posted Thu 7 May 03:53:post reply

Completely unrelated to Neogeo, there was just an earthquake right now albeit a very small one. The concern is that the quake happened right underneath Tokyo, which is Super rare... might be a sign of a big one to come!?

What's a tad related to this thread though, the quake's source was only a few minutes away from an arcade known to be one of the world's KOF Havens <Jiraishin

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 7 May 04:11]

Loona
855th Post

"Re(4):Metal Slug Defense on Steam ! Yeay !" , posted Fri 8 May 17:25post reply

It's been almost half a year since the Square-EnixE/SNKP debacle over the High Score Girl manga - have there been any news about that?
IIRC there was supposed to be a court decision on the matter, but I saw no news about that, so no idea if SE is still persisting with a legal process.

Regarding the manga, this was the most recent update I could find - apparently the manga's being published by some other publisher, but no idea it that one has any ties to SE.

...!!

chazumaru
1475th Post

"BEAST BUSTERS featuring KOF" , posted Mon 11 May 22:46post reply

Well that was definitely not a waste of a collaboration at all.

Męme Narumi est épatée !

Doshin
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):BEAST BUSTERS featuring KOF" , posted Tue 12 May 11:22post reply

quote:
Well that was definitely not a waste of a collaboration at all.

I had to rewatch the video twice to figure out where the KOF part was. A passive-aggressive downvote was awarded to that video for wasting my time.

sibarraz
552th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"SNKP FY15?" , posted Wed 13 May 03:59post reply

Has SNKP released their fiscal year report? I really want to know if mobile games are giving them a good revenue.

Also, Im starting to fear for a KOF XIV

Spoon
2871th Post

"Re(1):SNKP FY15?" , posted Wed 13 May 04:59post reply

quote:
Has SNKP released their fiscal year report? I really want to know if mobile games are giving them a good revenue.

I'm going to wager that Metal Slug Defence is their most financially successful product in the past 10 years.

chazumaru
1477th Post

"Re(2):SNKP FY15?" , posted Wed 13 May 06:34post reply

quote:
I'm going to wager that Metal Slug Defence is their most financially successful product in the past 10 years.

Well, ten years ago was 2005... That's not very difficult. The only competitor would be those Metal Slug compilations on Wii and PS2 in case they somehow found a large audience in the US and Europe. I doubt any game or other compilation did better than those.

MSD is almost certainly their most successful venture since 2000 and the downfall of the Neo Geo era.

Męme Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
2872th Post

"Re(3):SNKP FY15?" , posted Wed 13 May 07:06post reply

quote:

Well, ten years ago was 2005...

I literally forgot that the year 2000 was MORE than 10 years ago.

quote:

MSD is almost certainly their most successful venture since 2000 and the downfall of the Neo Geo era.

This is what I meant.

neo0r0chiaku
27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):SNKP FY15?" , posted Wed 13 May 12:02post reply

quote:

Luckily, it was this game and not one of those weird Pachinko slot games they were selling from time to time.

Long Live!

Professor
4280th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):SNKP FY15?" , posted Wed 13 May 12:13post reply

quote:

Their FY ends on July. It usually takes some time until their report finds its way around the Internet since they're not listed in the stock exchange.

Loona
858th Post

"Re(1):SNKP FY15?" , posted Wed 13 May 18:24post reply

quote:

Didn't they at some point state that KoFXIII turned out to be a relatively successful endeavor for them?
I don't recall if it was mentioned it justified the creation of another fighting game to follow it, but I vaguely recall optimistic observations about it.

MSD was made/released after that, and since then they also started publishing on Steam (making it a lot easier for vaguely curious people across the world to pick up their games during discounts) and released a few other mobile titles of varying success, they might at least be in position to to invest in a few smaller titles and hopefully at least one or two bigger ones.

...!!

Loona
866th Post

"Re(2):SNKP FY15?" , posted Mon 18 May 18:28:post reply

While SNKP is currently running a 50% discount on the Steam version of Metal Slug Defense, that discount appears to be applied to a new default price, which has been halved since its original release - a bit of quiet and wise backtracking that means it's all at 25% of the original price, although now I wonder if that version of the game will ever recover of all the negative reviews it got since.

...!!

[this message was edited by Loona on Mon 18 May 19:20]

the real kap
76th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):SNKP FY15?" , posted Mon 18 May 19:11post reply

quote:
While SNKP is currently running a 50% discount on the Steam version of Metal Slug Defense, that discount appears to be applied to a new default price, which has been halved since its original release - a bit of quiet and wise backtracking that means it's all aboutlable at 25% of the original price, although now I wonder if that version of the game will ever recover of all the negative reviews it got since.

If their current pricing model was the only option, then they should have made the game online-only instead to prevent cheating and keep the mobile pricing model -- which is expensive enough as it is.

Baines
426th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):SNKP FY15?" , posted Tue 19 May 00:26post reply

quote:
While SNKP is currently running a 50% discount on the Steam version of Metal Slug Defense, that discount appears to be applied to a new default price, which has been halved since its original release - a bit of quiet and wise backtracking that means it's all at 25% of the original price, although now I wonder if that version of the game will ever recover of all the negative reviews it got since.

I doubt it. Even with the prices cut, the Steam version is still one of the worst kinds of mobile-to-PC ports.

It makes no allowance for the differences between platforms in input and display. Controls designed for touch end up a bit cumbersome with a mouse. A screen and UI made for a mobile device ends up ill-suited for a PC monitor. SNK Playmore didn't even try to pretend, leaving the instruction to "Tap Screen" on the title screen.

Beyond that, it removed one of the positives of the mobile version, locking most characters solely behind real money purchases.

SNK Playmore might have been better served if they'd simply sold the game for $5-10 with all the characters available. People would have still knocked it for being a lazy mobile port (because it is), but it wouldn't be the butt of jokes like "SNK PAYmore". Mind, it is possible that they still managed to sell enough DLC to not care...

sibarraz
553th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Dramatic Commercial About XiaoHai and KOF 97" , posted Sun 24 May 01:17post reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9XnQ2EOSk

Well, this happened, a commercial to promote the launch of KOF 97 in the QQ gaming service starring XiaoHai

The commercial shows the begginings of XiaoHai as a young guy who skipped school and made his best friend to sell his bike just to keep playing KOF 97

Ishmael
5174th Post

"Re(1):Dramatic Commercial About XiaoHai and K" , posted Sun 24 May 04:30post reply

So is the kid who sold his bike the world's first fighting game sponsor?

sibarraz
554th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Dramatic Commercial About XiaoHai and K" , posted Sun 24 May 05:45post reply

quote:
So is the kid who sold his bike the world's first fighting game sponsor?

Since you put it that way, yes, he earned a beating from his father so he wasnt a good sponsor though

Also, does anyone else think that the commercial is very similar to that movie about 2 friends who were friends as kids while playing 97, and that refound again as unhappy grown mens?

the real kap
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"JP PSN: Metal Slug 6, KOF2002, KOFMIRA" , posted Sun 24 May 20:15post reply

These 3 classics were added to the Japanese PSN Store last week, I bought the two KOF games and played them for a bit.

KOF 2002 - Slowdowns, slowdowns all over. This took me right back to the mid 90s, it is that bad. For example, when the doors open in the 3D China stage, the game slows down big time.

KOF MIRA - Played this briefly, the pixelated menu graphics are strangely bright and the game also has minor slowdown from what I've noticed so far.

I didn't buy KOF2003/MI2/SS5/SS6, but it's safe to say that slowdowns are natural for these particular PS2 classics. Other ROM dumps on other stores are at least fully functional. *shrug*

sibarraz
555th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Kung Fury" , posted Fri 29 May 11:58post reply

So anyone watched this movie?

Is a 30 minute action comedy movie funded by kickstarter and inspired on the 80's action movies.

Im putting here because I feel that the game takes some little inspiration of Fatal Fury, from the font used in the game, to south town being partially inspired on miami, the fact that kung fury lives in what seems to be Geese Tower, and the steam game that was released today, which uses a fake boxart inspired in the neo geo, with shinkiro style, and even a start up screen similar of the neo geo

neo0r0chiaku
40th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Kung Fury" , posted Mon 1 Jun 10:07post reply

quote:

Is a 30 minute action comedy movie funded by kickstarter and inspired on the 80's action movies.

Im putting here because I feel that the game takes some little inspiration of Fatal Fury, from the font used in the game, to south town being partially inspired on miami, the fact that kung fury lives in what seems to be Geese Tower, and the steam game that was released today, which uses a fake boxart inspired in the neo geo, with shinkiro style, and even a start up screen similar of the neo geo

I watched it last night. I kind of was asking for more lol. Pretty cool since to me it kind of was starting off with a Streets of Rage look and flavor to it. He does look like Axel a bit. Nice job though for us old school folks. Did they also have a game? I did not see that on there website.

Long Live!

Sibarraz
556th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Kung Fury" , posted Mon 1 Jun 13:06post reply

quote:

I watched it last night. I kind of was asking for more lol. Pretty cool since to me it kind of was starting off with a Streets of Rage look and flavor to it. He does look like Axel a bit. Nice job though for us old school folks. Did they also have a game? I did not see that on there website.

You can buy it on steam

Baines
429th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Kung Fury" , posted Mon 1 Jun 23:50post reply

quote:
Did they also have a game? I did not see that on there website.

$2 on Steam.

Unfortunately, it isn't a classic brawler. It is similar to One Finger Death Punch, except without the the polish or features.

HAYATO
1203th Post

PSN: Lord-Hayato

"Re(3):Kung Fury" , posted Tue 2 Jun 01:31:post reply

quote:
Did they also have a game? I did not see that on there website.

$2 on Steam.

Unfortunately, it isn't a classic brawler. It is similar to One Finger Death Punch, except without the the polish or features.

You can find it on AppStore and Google Play for free. Sure, it has a built-in ad service that can be removed by purchasing a license of sorts, but the gaming experience is seamless and pretty decent for a mobile game. Hell, at least is more honest than all those Candy Crush derivatives that flood app markets nowadays...

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Tue 2 Jun 01:31]

Loona
872th Post

"original Metal Slug on Steam and new KoF pach" , posted Tue 2 Jun 18:05post reply

After 3, X and Defense, the original MS makes it to Steam - it'll only be available on the 26th, but there's a pre-purchase discount as it with others before it.

This has been making the rounds on Twitter, but is curiously absent from SNKP's Slot sub-site - maybe they licensed out characters to another company or something?

...!!

chazumaru
1497th Post

"Re(1):original Metal Slug on Steam and new Ko" , posted Tue 2 Jun 19:06post reply

I know about the MS Defense quagmire but have the original Neo Geo games been properly emulated on Steam so far?

Męme Narumi est épatée !

Professor
4285th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):original Metal Slug on Steam and new Ko" , posted Tue 2 Jun 20:29:post reply

quote:
but is curiously absent from SNKP's Slot sub-site - maybe they licensed out characters to another company or something?

It's a licensed product Pachinko machine from a third party maker. SNK makes Pachislot machines but they don't make Pachinko; it's extremely hard to become a manufacturer for multiple reasons.

Pachinko is a Japanese-style pinball machine, Pachislot is a slot machine. They're two different machines that people play at Pachi parlors.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 2 Jun 20:42]

Professor
4286th Post

MMCafe Owner

"New KOF Trailer" , posted Wed 3 Jun 02:10:post reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us6OWs-CZDM

Ahh, all the familiar characters... it's like SNK forgot about its Playmore days!

[edit] The rendering looks pretty previous-generation though.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 3 Jun 02:24]

Gojira
3106th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(1):New KOF Trailer" , posted Wed 3 Jun 02:51post reply

Wow, a pachinko game based almost entirely on KoF96, except for Orochi and Riot Iori. Did I wake up in an alternate universe?

As for the look, I guess I'll go out on the limb and say that it looks pretty good. Out of all of them I think only Daimon looks a little weird, from that I'm guessing the modelers specialized in certain body types (which is probably why there's no "weirdos" like Choi, Chang or Chin). Am I wrong about it looking good? I don't know. I'm numb. I don't want to care. GOD DAMN IT WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE PACHINKO.

the real kap
78th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):New KOF Trailer" , posted Wed 3 Jun 03:15post reply

quote:
Wow, a pachinko game based almost entirely on KoF96, except for Orochi and Riot Iori. Did I wake up in an alternate universe?

As for the look, I guess I'll go out on the limb and say that it looks pretty good. Out of all of them I think only Daimon looks a little weird, from that I'm guessing the modelers specialized in certain body types (which is probably why there's no "weirdos" like Choi, Chang or Chin). Am I wrong about it looking good? I don't know. I'm numb. I don't want to care. GOD DAMN IT WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE PACHINKO.

Chin is in the trailer posing along with Kensou and Athena. Maybe he's not a playable character or something but at least he's there. Unlike Kim Team.

Lord SNK
66th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):New KOF Trailer" , posted Wed 3 Jun 03:23post reply

quote:

Ahh, all the familiar characters... it's like SNK forgot about its Playmore days!

The characters looks OK for me, surely better than that old Terry seen some months ago.

kofoguz
1177th Post

"Re(1):New KOF Trailer" , posted Wed 3 Jun 03:45post reply

quote:

for a moment I thought it was...

Gojira
3107th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(3):New KOF Trailer" , posted Wed 3 Jun 04:11post reply

quote:
Chin is in the trailer posing along with Kensou and Athena. Maybe he's not a playable character or something but at least he's there. Unlike Kim Team.

Yeah I noticed this as I begrudgingly rewatched the thing. For some reason the trailer gave me the impression that Athena was alone. So now it's just kind of sad that Kim team isn't in there.

Just kidding no it's not. It's not sad at all. Who cares not me

kofoguz
1178th Post

"Re(4):New KOF Trailer" , posted Wed 3 Jun 06:11post reply

Ok now I watched the video I decided I'm ok with the models in a future KoF (fighting) game since I was expecting far worse than that. And I think this seems like a some kind of KoF : Kyo Remake which I think a proper port or remake should exist at least on mobile. And potential sequels KOF: K' and KOF: Ash, as well.

chazumaru
1500th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):New KOF Trailer" , posted Wed 3 Jun 08:55post reply

It all began in '94.
Kept on rolling in '95.
Pieces were in place in '96,
and it came to an end in '97.

Now it comes and here we go!
K • O • F is here again!

No one's gonna care:
it's Pachinko CR.

Męme Narumi est épatée !

Doshin
6th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):New KOF Trailer" , posted Wed 3 Jun 09:30post reply

quote:

Ahh, pachinko. I want to downvote this video so hard it flies into an alternate dimension and even the memories of it stop existing in this one.

Loona
874th Post

"Re(1):New KOF Trailer" , posted Wed 3 Jun 16:33:post reply

quote:

The aesthetics lean so heavily towards KoF97 (with the exception of Vice, Mature, Goenitz, Geese, Athena's 98 outfit and the final KoF96 stage) that it almost seems custom-made for China, but everything's in Japanese. I guess that age of the game is still fondly remembered, or at least it's what stuck around in people's minds when they think of the series?

It's a bit strange how later in the video it moves from 3D to depicting the 97 ending in traditional animation, but all in all, aesthetically it's pretty decent work - only Ryo and Robert felt a bit off.

Edit: The Japanese SNKP account just posted a link to Daiichi's official CR KOF pachinko machine: http://daiichi777.jp/pachinko/kof/
Checking the main site, they're no strangers to licensing IPs for their stuff - one of their recent (?) additions is a Biohazard machine, although the Lupin-III-alike looks a bit dodgy.
Strangely, the official video trailer at that site is a lot shorter than the one that made the rounds yesterday - maybe the earlier one was revealed in some industry event?

...!!

[this message was edited by Loona on Wed 3 Jun 19:06]

TheRedKnight
397th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Dramatic Commercial About XiaoHai and K" , posted Wed 3 Jun 19:29post reply

quote:

Also, does anyone else think that the commercial is very similar to that movie about 2 friends who were friends as kids while playing 97, and that refound again as unhappy grown mens?

Yup, it appears to be "borrowed" straight from 玩大的 (Wán Dŕ De). I'm still baffled about the keyboard warrior parts of the commercial, after watching it for the third time now.

...The pachinko game looks depressingly nice.

videograpple.tumblr.com/

Professor
4287th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):New KOF Trailer" , posted Wed 3 Jun 20:08:post reply

quote:
Checking the main site, they're no strangers to licensing IPs for their stuff - one of their recent (?) additions is a Biohazard machine, although the Lupin-III-alike looks a bit dodgy.

They were one of the companies that filed to the police on the Ex-SNK worker (Takatsu) who was doing fraud and faking out licenses.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 3 Jun 20:09]

Ishmael
5179th Post

"Re(3):New KOF Trailer" , posted Wed 3 Jun 23:50post reply

Thanks to SNKP I now know a great deal about pachinko and pachislot games and the world in which they operate.

neo0r0chiaku
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):New KOF Trailer" , posted Thu 4 Jun 07:00post reply

quote:

Ahh, pachinko. I want to downvote this video so hard it flies into an alternate dimension and even the memories of it stop existing in this one.

Previous SNK panchiko games had cut-scenes with anime style animation. So would it not be the same in 3-D through CGI cut-scenes? If so, then the animation is terrible. Looks like the work from the people that they had the job posting for lol! All the flashing will cause the player to either blackout or hallucinate for weeks. I would not be surprised if it gave the same side effects like the urban legend arcade game Polybius did to those kids!

Long Live!

Loona
878th Post

"Best Busters featuring KoF... DX?" , posted Mon 8 Jun 21:31:post reply

So the SNKP Twitter today announced a new Beast Busters, but I'm having a hard time telling it apart from the previous one:
* Old: http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/apps/bbk/
* New: http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/apps/bbkdx/

Also, the Beast Busters series site page for the smartphone version now points to the newer version, where it used to point to the previous one.

The Twitter message tells them apart by stating the new one has "more content and no in-app items", but I'm not sure about the specifics - I have the previous version, but never bought anything inside it - I spend more time with MSD, so I haven't even cleared all the stages, and only really resort to buying in-game when I find no other options.
Upgrading stuff in BBfK hasn't been too intuitive to me, so I haven't even bothered exploring purchases if I can barely understand how to use what I get by simply playing...

I wonder if this is meant to be a first step to adapting that to a desktop version, like they did with MSD... it might work better to aim with a mouse than sliding your finger over the left side of the screen...

Edit:

It turns out the actual store pages paint a more eloquent picture:
Old: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beast-busters-featuring-kof/id882734896?ls=1&mt=8 (free, time constraints)
New: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id990910241?mt=8 (paid, no time constraints)

...!!

[this message was edited by Loona on Mon 8 Jun 21:37]

sibarraz
557th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Rumors from the internet" , posted Fri 26 Jun 06:44post reply

https://twitter.com/6_Vice_9/status/613997557862301696

Well this is a rumor from some random guy who has a friend that works at SNKP, isn't the best source but at this point this thread is so dead that I wanted to talk something

Basically, he says that EPIC offered SNK the right to use the Unreal Engine for KOF XIV but that SNK declined the offer. Also says that the game will be released next

I could see Tencent (who owns epic) helping SNK with the game, but that now with the rumors of ledo millenium buying SNKP I could see that stoping the use of the engine

neo0r0chiaku
50th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Rumors from the internet" , posted Fri 26 Jun 11:16post reply

quote:

Well this is a rumor from some random guy who has a friend that works at SNKP, isn't the best source but at this point this thread is so dead that I wanted to talk something

Basically, he says that EPIC offered SNK the right to use the Unreal Engine for KOF XIV but that SNK declined the offer. Also says that the game will be released next

I could see Tencent (who owns epic) helping SNK with the game, but that now with the rumors of ledo millenium buying SNKP I could see that stoping the use of the engine

With this rejection, my guess is that they decide not to make the game fully in 3-D?

Long Live!

badoor
425th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Rumors from the internet" , posted Sat 27 Jun 02:45post reply

quote:

With this rejection, my guess is that they decide not to make the game fully in 3-D?

I have no idea about this but is it common practice for Epic games to approach developers and sell their unreal engine? I realize that Unreal Engine has (oddly enough) become the defacto engine to use in Fighting Games, with Guilty Gear Xrd, SFV, Mortal Kombat X, and Tekken 7 all using it.

Also, if the new KOF is gonna be released next year, than I assume this offer must have happened quite a while ago, probably before any of the games mentioned above were announced and were revealed to be using Unreal Engine 4 (at least publicly). Which means Epic were somehow consciously shopping around unreal to fighting game developers somewhat simultaneously.

Or that Epic merely presented the offer recently and SNKP declined because SNKP were already in the midst of making KOFXIV and changing engines would mean them having to restart over, which would have delayed things.

Anyway, these "I have an uncle who works at..." rumors sound sketchy to me, especially once you take a closer look into what they entail.

Spoon
2933th Post

"Re(3):Rumors from the internet" , posted Sat 27 Jun 08:47post reply

Epic has been actively looking for new business and outreach, because they've been in a funky spot having been the dominant FPS/TPS engine for the past generation: a number of the hugest software houses have an in-house engine (EA with Frostbite, Ubi with Anvil/AnvilNext, Konami with FOX Engine *sob*, Nintendo with whatever it is powers their 1st party games, Bethesda with idTech and Creation, etc.), while all the indies have been jumping on Unity.

This left Epic in a weird spot where their engine still got lots of use, and even use in some pretty thoroughly AAA titles, like Rocksteady's Batman games, but it also became the engine of choice for a lot of maybe single-A or double-A or B games.

Given their recent success with all the aforementioned fighting games adopting Unreal, I wouldn't be surprised at all if their Asian bizdev guys went shopping it around. Now that there's proven success in making high-quality fighting games with Unreal, the notion of making top-shelf fighting games with Unreal isn't bizarre. Business outreach absolutely is a part of their company, given that Unreal Engine as a product unto itself has been a major part of their business for multiple generations.

Part of me doubts that SNK will ever again bet the farm on dot art they way they did with KOF12-13, but given the unparalleled (for SNK) modern success of Metal Slug mobile which has its appeal driven entirely by the historically great sprites of Metal Slug, they must've done a lot of head scratching.

neo0r0chiaku
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Rumors from the internet" , posted Sat 27 Jun 12:11post reply

quote:
Epic has been actively looking for new business and outreach, because they've been in a funky spot having been the dominant FPS/TPS engine for the past generation: a number of the hugest software houses have an in-house engine (EA with Frostbite, Ubi with Anvil/AnvilNext, Konami with FOX Engine *sob*, Nintendo with whatever it is powers their 1st party games, Bethesda with idTech and Creation, etc.), while all the indies have been jumping on Unity.

This left Epic in a weird spot where their engine still got lots of use, and even use in some pretty thoroughly AAA titles, like Rocksteady's Batman games, but it also became the engine of choice for a lot of maybe single-A or double-A or B games.

Given their recent success with all the aforementioned fighting games adopting Unreal, I wouldn't be surprised at all if their Asian bizdev guys went shopping it around. Now that there's proven success in making high-quality fighting games with Unreal, the notion of making top-shelf fighting games with Unreal isn't bizarre. Business outreach absolutely is a part of their company, given that Unreal Engine as a product unto itself has been a major part of their business for multiple generations.

Part of me doubts that SNK will ever again bet the farm on dot art they way they did with KOF12-13, but given the unparalleled (for SNK) modern success of Metal Slug mobile which has its appeal driven entirely by the historically great sprites of Metal Slug, they must've done a lot of head s

Whatever the case maybe, many titles have outsold themselves to the unreal engine, even Mighty no.9. SNKP, needs to stick to its roots, because no matter how much they try, they can not compete in the 3-D fighting market. Nor equal its counterpart to GGXrd and SFV. The only way it can stand out is its niche cliche. It has always been like that with KOF titles. Once it try to compete to its equal part, it will lose. I do not want to see that happen. They need to know now that the next title is do or die. No success means it will die out for sure.

Long Live!

nobinobita
1431th Post

"Re(5):Rumors from the internet" , posted Mon 29 Jun 18:51post reply

quote:

Part of me doubts that SNK will ever again bet the farm on dot art they way they did with KOF12-13, but given the unparalleled (for SNK) modern success of Metal Slug mobile which has its appeal driven entirely by the historically great sprites of Metal Slug, they must've done a lot o

I really really liked KOFXIII. Hell, I even was a vocal supporter of KOFXII (I actually wish XIII was super zoomed in like XII so each sprite is the size of a 16bit cutscene).

That said, I don't actually play KOF XIII that much. I love it, but I keep going back to other games I like even more. I've been trying to figure out why that is.

I mean, I love everything about it. Visually it's astounding. It's some of the best sprite art ever. The animations are solid and interesting. And i love how they reduced each character to their most iconic components rather than making them busier. Aside from that, I know this is heresy for true believers, but I much prefer the more forgiving inputs of KOF XIII vs older installments. The responsiveness (and also the hugely improved animations) makes it feel more like a Capcom game.

Heck, I even wrote a somewhat passed around article bout how much I love the visuals in the game.

But I don't play it much. I just boot it up to bask in its visual glory once in a while. But I don't think I've ever had a long gaming session with it.

The game seems conceptually perfect to me, but something about the gameplay doesn't totally engross me (even though I prefer it to say Guilty Gear, Blazblue, UNIB, SFIV etc). And I wonder if other people felt similar.

Or maybe it's just that it came at the wrong time in my life where I'm not at college or at a huge company where it's easy to find other people to play with. Also I hate playing fighting games online, so maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

In any case, I hope they do another 2d game. I'll definitely buy it (and then stare at it a lot but never actually get good at it).

www.art-eater.com

the real kap
81th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Rumors from the internet" , posted Mon 29 Jun 19:01post reply

Yep, SNKP should definitely do another 2D game.

It'll bankrupt them, sure, but at least they tried for the sake of art!

Loona
884th Post

"Re(6):Rumors from the internet" , posted Tue 30 Jun 01:36post reply

quote:
That said, I don't actually play KOF XIII that much. I love it, but I keep going back to other games I like even more. I've been trying to figure out why that is.

For my part, it's the long and execution-intensive HD combos. I love just about everything else about the gameplay, including the fact that you can use half the HD bar to just cancel a special into another special or super, so the resource that combo experts can optimize for feats beyond me still has a use in my hands.

quote:

I mean, I love everything about it. Visually it's astounding. It's some of the best sprite art ever. The animations are solid and interesting. And i love how they reduced each character to their most iconic components rather than making them busier.

I'd still prefer Garou Terry design, which I find cleaner and less garish.
At least you can change Ryo's palette so it's closer to his Wild Ambition Self - I still find it weird that he's just so damn orange after all these years, although sometimes his projectiles even it out with some blue.

quote:
Aside from that, I know this is heresy for true believers, but I much prefer the more forgiving inputs of KOF XIII vs older installments. The responsiveness (and also the hugely improved animations) makes it feel more like a Capcom game.

For my part, combos are more viable to me in XIII than they've ever been before, and I'm glad that's the case.

Then again, to me one of the greatest charms of the game is that it managed to pay a lot of attention not only to its gameplay (the trials show a lot of thought put into move properties), but also story and characterization - it's a small joy to see all those dialogues in Arcade mode, whole-team-specific dialogues in Story mode, and all the little revelations and cameos in the multiple Story mode paths - gameplay tends to change with each game, but stories and character dynamics tend to stick around, so I'm glad to see they really valued that.
(I really gotta finish a little writing project about that...)

...!!

Professor
4305th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Rumors from the internet" , posted Tue 30 Jun 02:16:post reply

quote:
The game seems conceptually perfect to me, but something about the gameplay doesn't totally engross me (even though I prefer it to say Guilty Gear, Blazblue, UNIB, SFIV etc). And I wonder if other people felt similar.

Or maybe it's just that it came at the wrong time in my life where I'm not at college or at a huge company where it's easy to find other people to play with. Also I hate playing fighting games online, so maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Personally I really love the graphics in KOF13. The characters have the "heavyness/weight" from the older 90's fighter games that seem to be lacking nowadays. They actually have the convincing physiques of martial artists that can land heavy attacks.

However the hitstop animation and sound effect of their attacks doesn't quite match up with it. They give the attacks a much lighter feel because of that. It's understandable; the game is based on combos and if you give all the attacks a heavy feel, it's going to have an opposite effect and end up being pretty annoying.

In that sense, I'm liking the feel and sound effects of Street Fighter 5 a lot.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 30 Jun 03:13]

Spoon
2937th Post

"Re(6):Rumors from the internet" , posted Thu 2 Jul 07:50post reply

quote:
something about KOF13 doesn't engross me

There are a lot of little things in KOF13 that seem like trivial complaints at the low level of play that I did play it at, and some that bother me philosophically.

I have a crazy theory that goes that how big the characters are on the screen horizontally in a 2D fighting game has a disproportionate effect on how we perceive the game. KOF13 looks great and the backgrounds look great, but the widescreen presentation and the relative size of the characters to the amount of arena presented makes it feel way too empty. On a rough test of just copying and pasting Maxima in his idle stance, Maxima is just over 26% of the screen wide in the 4:3 KOF2k2UM, but is maybe 21% of the screen wide in the 16:9 KOF13. The distance between things is just bigger in KOF13, and the size of the characters is just smaller.

How much space there can be between characters fundamentally affects how characters seem visually in terms of the composition of the shot, but it also affects how they play. Allowing for a lot of space between characters means that you have more distance to cross in order to break zoning, or it means there is more space your character's tools need to cover. Think about how big the characters in AOF are relative to the screen: Ryo' who isn't even the biggest guy in the game, occupies 30% of the width of the screen just standing there. Once he punches or kicks, he's maybe as wide as 40% or more of the screen!

KOF13's corner game is the deadliest of any KOF game, what with practical 100% combos everywhere, and >30% combos that barely require any resources. Being cornered is a typical occurrence in any fighting game, but in KOF13, awesome combos aside, it's the worst feeling being-cornered state of any KOF. Now that the two of you are right up against each other, you take up about as little space on the screen as you can, and the guy in the corner is getting beat down viciously. You _feel_ small. There's this yawning ~80% of the arena in which there is no gameplay character activity. It's unpleasant. Even in MOTW, which had some relatively small characters, an average-sized character like Terry is still about 25% of the screen wide in his idle. It is the case that the MOTW characters are quite short relative to the screen, and the total amount of screen they take up is smaller in MOTW than in KOF13. Ryu in USF4 is an average-sized character, and is about 22% of the screen wide in idle.

Unlike Guilty Gear or Marvel, KOF isn't a game in which the characters get to put a lot of stuff onto the screen to fill the space, or in general have huge normal attacks that fill up lots of screen space both with the area that has gameplay effect but also with their VFX. In USF4, the special effects for projectiles are ENORMOUS. The hit VFX for sonic booms expand to fill like 80% of the width of the screen. Evil Ryu's fireball impacts are almost the height of the screen!

My crazy corollary to that theory is that the background sizes and character sprite sizes in KOF13 inherit from KOF12 where camera zooming-in during regular gameplay (not just during cinematic non-interactive moments, like supers) was a pervasive element, and when the zooming was taken out (or rather, kept at the maximum zoom, which only happens some of the time in KOF12), we wind up with a view that's lacking in intimacy.

Disclaimer:
I have had to do a lot of programming with cameras lately, so I'm seeing everything through that lens (hah!) at the moment.

nobinobita
1432th Post

"Re(7):Rumors from the internet" , posted Thu 2 Jul 15:41post reply

quote:

There are a lot of little things in KOF13 that seem like trivial complaints at the low level of play that I did play it at, and some that bother me philosophically.

I have a crazy theory that goes that how big the characters are on the screen horizontally in a 2D fighting game has a disproportionate effect on how we perceive the game. KOF13 looks great and the backgrounds look great, but the widescreen presentation and the relative size of the characters to the amount of arena presented makes it feel way too empty. On a rough test of just copying and pasting Maxima in his idle stance, Maxima is just over 26% of the screen wide in the 4:3 KOF2k2UM, but is maybe 21% of the screen wide in the 16:9 KOF13. The distance between things is just bigger in KOF13, and the size of the characters is just smaller.

How much space there can be between characters fundamentally affects how characters seem visually in terms of the composition of the shot, but it also affects how they play. Allowing for a lot of space between characters means that you have more distance to cross in order to break zoning, or it means there is more space your character's tools need to cover. Think about how big the characters in AOF are relative to the screen: Ryo' who isn't even the biggest guy in the game, occupies 30% of the width of the screen just standing there. Once he punches or kicks, he's maybe as wide as 40% or more of the screen!

KO

Spoon, you really hit the nail on the head for me. After I wrote that post I downloaded KOFXIII on my phone and found myself curiously enjoying it more than the console version in some way. It was the size of the characters! On the phone they take up the whole screen like KOFXII or Art of Fighting. There's a much greater sense of impact and intimacy.

I mean, obviously the touch screen controls were terrible and the console version is infinitely better, but the simple difference in scale was really pronounced.

Huge sprites aside, the other thing that kept me engrossed were the delightful character interactions before each fight, as Loona has pointed out

quote:
Then again, to me one of the greatest charms of the game is that it managed to pay a lot of attention not only to its gameplay (the trials show a lot of thought put into move properties), but also story and characterization - it's a small joy to see all those dialogues in Arcade mode, whole-team-specific dialogues in Story mode, and all the little revelations and cameos in the multiple Story mode paths - gameplay tends to change with each game, but stories and character dynamics tend to stick around, so I'm glad to see they really valued that.
(I really gotta finish a little writing project about that...)

I found myself selecting characters and character order based on who i wanted to see a dialog with rather than who would be the most strategic choice. These little touches really give the game its soul.

Loona, i hope you finish your writeup on this!

www.art-eater.com

Loona
885th Post

"Re(8):Rumors from the internet" , posted Thu 2 Jul 20:21post reply

Nobi, I'm flattered by your curiosity, and ashamed I didn't post this here earlier (I'm a bit reluctant about self-promotion) - I finished a text about some of Mai's dialogues, which then expands to other aspects of her character and history: Exploring KoF XIII dialogues: Mai and the Shiranui legacy

Mai's not even a favorite character of mine or one of the richest in references in her dialogues, but I happened to get more screenshots of her exchanges as I was re-unlocking stuff on the Steam version, so I figured I'd start with her. The way I see it, a good story respects its audience and characters, so even if a character is generally out of focus and is more famous for her looks, a decent setting will provide enough material to give you interesting insights on their perspective.

The idea is to eventually cover everything that's referenced that isn't explained in the game itself, since there's plenty, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

...!!

neo0r0chiaku
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):Rumors from the internet" , posted Thu 2 Jul 22:33post reply

quote:
Nobi, I'm flattered by your curiosity, and ashamed I didn't post this here earlier (I'm a bit reluctant about self-promotion) - I finished a text about some of Mai's dialogues, which then expands to other aspects of her character and history: Exploring KoF XIII dialogues: Mai and the Shiranui legacy

Mai's not even a favorite character of mine or one of the richest in references in her dialogues, but I happened to get more screenshots of her exchanges as I was re-unlocking stuff on the Steam version, so I figured I'd start with her. The way I see it, a good story respects its audience and characters, so even if a character is generally out of focus and is more famous for her looks, a decent setting will provide enough material to give you interesting insights on their perspective.

The idea is to eventually cover everything that's referenced that isn't explained in the game itself, since there's plenty, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

The dialogue before matches is a wonderful touch to the game and has been for a while now. First it started of with certain characters having special intros. I wanted more of that at the time (KOF 96- up). MOTW gave us a nice touch of the dialogue which was neat. Then SVC made the game more interesting despite its negatives and time of release (I enjoyed the game, no complaints on my side). I wonder what other SNK games have in-game dialogue like KOF? I have not plated KOF13 for a while so if anyone can refresh my mind, do certain characters have special intros before the matches like before? I remember KOF 12 not having them, I think.

Long Live!

Loona
888th Post

"Re(10):Rumors from the internet" , posted Thu 2 Jul 23:07post reply

quote:
The dialogue before matches is a wonderful touch to the game and has been for a while now. First it started of with certain characters having special intros. I wanted more of that at the time (KOF 96- up). MOTW gave us a nice touch of the dialogue which was neat. Then SVC made the game more interesting despite its negatives and time of release (I enjoyed the game, no complaints on my side). I wonder what other SNK games have in-game dialogue like KOF? I have not plated KOF13 for a while so if anyone can refresh my mind, do certain characters have special intros before the matches like before? I remember KOF 12 not having them, I think.

The AoF games have that, although I've had such little contact with AoF3 that I don't know if that had it, but it seems likely.
AoF2 in particular was kind of amazing, because even if due to the "who cares?" nature of its translation, a lot of characters had animations specific to the pre-match dialogue, small stuff like scratching their heads and whatnot, that weren't used for anything else.
I really wish there were an accurate translation of that game, just in case there's something interesting there locked behind a wall of kanji that got replaced with lame jokes.

To much smaller extent there was also some character-specific line before matches in FF3, but no actual exchanges, as only one character said anything at a time.

...!!

Izek
142th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Rumors from the internet" , posted Thu 2 Jul 23:29post reply

quote:

That is such a wonderful article, thanks for posting :)

the real kap
82th Post

Occasional Customer

"Rhythm of Fighters will be shut down soon" , posted Fri 3 Jul 22:36post reply

Scroll down a bit.

quote:
Announcement of “THE RHYTHM OF FIGHTERS - SNK Original Sound Collection” Suspension of Service

Thank you very much for your support of our game application “THE RHYTHM OF FIGHTERS - SNK Original Sound Collection”.

We regret to inform all our users that “THE RHYTHM OF FIGHTERS - SNK Original Sound Collection” will end its service on the App Store & Google Play as of July 15th, 2015.

Please note you will not be able to purchase “Additional music pack”, “Support characters” and “Additional characters” in-app items anymore after the date above, but you can keep enjoying “THE RHYTHM OF FIGHTERS” as long as you don’t uninstall your application from your device.

We apologise for the inconvenience and appreciate your kind understanding.

The game wasn't even bad, it just didn't have enough characters/music and most prices were just absurd. What's the point of removing the entire game off the play store? They haven't added new content in a long time, would have been way better to officially announce that the game wouldn't get any updates period and just leave it at that. Don't spite people who bothered to buy your content by not even giving them the ability to redownload it.

Pricks.

Freeter
4640th Post

"Re(1):Rhythm of Fighters will be shut down so" , posted Sat 4 Jul 11:41post reply

Yeah, why can't they just bundle all the DLC and sell it as a full app for the same amount as a Square title? I can understand if they didn't want to add any more content, but the game itself is mostly solid and deserves to stay.

Guess I'll go snap up the remaining sound packs while I still can.

Spoon
2942th Post

"Re(2):Rhythm of Fighters will be shut down so" , posted Sat 4 Jul 17:19post reply

One of my co-workers worked at SNK, and while he was telling me about when they had SGI workstations, I asked "... wait, were you working the Hyper NG 64?" and he said yeah. He also worked on Killer7 at Grasshopper, and said that working at GHM was hellish. Clearly, I will be interviewing this person at some point.

Craziest story: the sprite editor used by artists for a number of SNK fighting games was written for the Neo-Geo, and uses the Neo-Geo as the interface. As in, you would use the joystick and the buttons to draw the sprite. He didn't believe this when he started there, until one of the higher ups showed him by firing up one of the machines and drawing a kickass sprite of Robert Garcia in like 10 minutes.

badoor
428th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Rhythm of Fighters will be shut down so" , posted Sat 4 Jul 17:24:post reply

Shame to hear about Rhythm of Fighters shutting down (after barely a year or so). It's easily one of my favorite recent mobile games. And SNK did put a lot of love into it, first by bringing the old SNK composers back to make new remixes, and by having brand new voice-samples for the characters in game (something which they didn't need to do but is a really neat thing anyway).

I bought the game before it went free-to-play but I thought there was a good amount of music in already. Some of the shop items are a little bit high (mainly the characters, I can understand buying songs to play).

Again, it's a great fun title and I urge you all to get it before it's too late.

quote:
One of my co-workers worked at SNK, and while he was telling me about when they had SGI workstations, I asked "... wait, were you working the Hyper NG 64?" and he said yeah. He also worked on Killer7 at Grasshopper, and said that working at GHM was hellish. Clearly, I will be interviewing this person at some point.

Craziest story: the sprite editor used by artists for a number of SNK fighting games was written for the Neo-Geo, and uses the Neo-Geo as the interface. As in, you would use the joystick and the buttons to draw the sprite. He didn't believe this when he started there, until one of the higher ups showed him by firing up one of the machines and drawing a kickass sprite of Robert Garcia in like 10 minutes.

Wow! I love this. If you can, please interview some more with this person.

[this message was edited by badoor on Sat 4 Jul 18:51]

kofoguz
1183th Post

"Re(3):Rhythm of Fighters will be shut down so" , posted Sat 4 Jul 17:38post reply

quote:

Please more.

Iggy
9938th Post

"Re(3):Rhythm of Fighters will be shut down so" , posted Sat 4 Jul 19:31post reply

Spoon: this is an amazing story and I want to read 10 000 characters of it.

Ishmael
5210th Post

"Re(7):Rumors from the internet" , posted Mon 6 Jul 03:46post reply

quote:

I have a crazy theory that goes that how big the characters are on the screen horizontally in a 2D fighting game has a disproportionate effect on how we perceive the game. KOF13 looks great and the backgrounds look great, but the widescreen presentation and the relative size of the characters to the amount of arena presented makes it feel way too empty.

Thank you, this post articulates one of the problems I had with KoF13 but had never fully thought out. The presentation of the fights isn't as exciting as it could be because the characters and their attacks are so diminished in size. Watching some poor slob get juggled in the corner should be exciting but part of your mind never forgets you're only looking at a comparatively small part of the screen. I went back and looked at KoF12 matches and was shocked to be reminded of just how zoomed in the camera used to be. It made the in-close fighting seem like a different game than when the characters are separated. Perhaps in a full game that dramatic change in perspective would get annoying but I found it the few videos I watched. Did SNKP ever give a reason why they kept the camera pulled out in KoF13?

(Anecdote: When I was looking for KoF12 videos YouTube asked me if I actually meant to look for KoF13 videos instead. Even the program running YouTube's search function couldn't believe anyone was interested in KoF12.)

badoor
428th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Rumors from the internet" , posted Mon 6 Jul 05:55post reply

quote:

I have a crazy theory that goes that how big the characters are on the screen horizontally in a 2D fighting game has a disproportionate effect on how we perceive the game. KOF13 looks great and the backgrounds look great, but the widescreen presentation and the relative size of the characters to the amount of arena presented makes it feel way too empty.
Thank you, this post articulates one of the problems I had with KoF13 but had never fully thought out. The presentation of the fights isn't as exciting as it could be because the characters and their attacks are so diminished in size. Watching some poor slob get juggled in the corner should be exciting but part of your mind never forgets you're only looking at a comparatively small part of the screen. I went back and looked at KoF12 matches and was shocked to be reminded of just how zoomed in the camera used to be. It made the in-close fighting seem like a different game than when the characters are separated. Perhaps in a full game that dramatic change in perspective would get annoying but I found it the few videos I watched. Did SNKP ever give a reason why they kept the camera pulled out in KoF13?

(Anecdote: When I was looking for KoF12 videos YouTube asked me if I actually meant to look for

I assume that SNK wanted KOF XIII to better appease the hardcore KOF players. KOF historically never had the trademark SNK-zoom effect of AOF or Samurai Shodown. Those games tend to be of a slower pace than KOF. Besides, tempering with the zoom-in might confuse players when dealing with jump-ins. KOF has 4 types of forward jump-ins. And recognizing them is crucial for anti-airs. Having that aspect be more ambiguous thanks to sudden zoom-ins might not help the game gain popularity with the pro-player crowds.

But still, I do find KOF XII to be a better looking game in general. The sprites were obviously made with the intent of zooming-in on them in that game, to show their pixel-y goodness. At least they sort of maintained that in XIII with the zoom-in effect during NeoMAX. I also think the stages looked better in XII then when they reused them in XIII. The colors were brighter and meshed together well, while they look "photoshopped" in XIII.

Maese
770th Post

"Re(3):Rhythm of Fighters will be shut down so" , posted Mon 6 Jul 15:06post reply

quote:

I've heard many horrible stories from ex-workers about Grasshopper and Suda 51 as well, but I'm way more interested in those juicy SNK anecdotes. Please do elaborate on that stuff, pretty please!

Professor
4317th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Longthread too long! Move to next!" , posted Tue 14 Jul 23:08post reply

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13544.shtml