[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 2 Nov 20:11]

Replies:

Professor
3599th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"SNKP's President goes out the window" , posted Fri 2 Nov 20:12:post reply

And in comes a new one.

SNKPlaymore is once again getting a major change in its management as Ryo Mizufune is no longer their corporate president. Taking over Mizufune's seat is Masao Ohata, according to SNKP's official site which has been updated to reflect the change. SNKP hasn't made any form of press release as of yet and it seems like they did this almost silently similarly to the last time. If people recall, Soichiro Hosoya was replaced by Mizufune almost under the radar while everyone was busy during Tokyo Game Show 2010.

While Mizufune was known to have come from SNKP's Pachislot sector, Ohata's background is not known.

This is the third freaking time the president's changed in the past 4 years and quite frankly that's obviously not the sign of a healthy company.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 2 Nov 22:29]

kofoguz
1008th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):SNKP's President goes out of the window" , posted Fri 2 Nov 20:33post reply

quote:
And in comes a new one.

SNKPlaymore is once again getting a major change in its management as Ryo Mizufune is no longer their corporate president. Taking over Mizufune's seat is Masao Ohata, and SNKP's official site has been updated to reflect the change. SNKP hasn't made any form of press release as of yet and it seems like they did this almost silently similarly to the last time. If people recall, Soichiro Hosoya was replaced by Mizufune almost under the radar while everyone was busy during Tokyo Game Show 2010.

While Mizufune was known to have come from SNKP's Pachislot sector, Ohata's background is not known.

This is the third freaking time the president's changed in the past 4 years and quite frankly that's obviously not the sign of a healthy company.

In Mizafune's time Pachislot was more active. I hope this change brings more action to the games section. I hope Masao Ohata supports the possible sequels and crossovers. Especially Harada think SCvsSS is possible.

chazumaru
956th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):SNKP's President goes out of the window" , posted Fri 2 Nov 21:50post reply

quote:
SNKP's President goes out of the window

Wow, I thought you meant literally... That was scary.

Soul Calibur Vs Samurai Shodown... Hmm! I wonder what Onda-san at Namco thinks about this! Some clever journalist should ask his opinion fufufu.

@kofoguz, let's be realistic/pessimistic and expect a KOF card game at GREE or Mobage.

78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 秩序は廻る ♪ 78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 未来を示す

mbisonhatclub
530th Post

PSN: hadoolket
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):SNKP's President goes out of the window" , posted Fri 2 Nov 22:30post reply

quote:

I wish...ER I MEAN...yeah, I wish

There IS a God. I'm dancing on his proverbial grave as we speak! I'm so glad he's out.

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Professor
3600th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):SNKP's President goes out the window" , posted Fri 2 Nov 22:42:post reply

quote:

That would be so ironic. Goodbye, cruel SNK World...

OK, shortened it.

I think former president Hosoya was also appointed president in November. It's so odd that they do this in the fall considering their fiscal ends in March just like other Japanese companies.

Kofoguz:
Sort of. He came in during 2010 which was right when the law started placing heavy restrictions on pachislot and lowering the rates, causing quite a loss for the industry. SNKP's never been good at forseeing the future and they probably appointed him thinking that he's the right decision for the way they're heading. Now it's more of the SNS and smartphone market that's making the money. SNKP is undoubtedly going to try and trail behind in that road to make peanuts.

I wonder who this Ohata is though, can't find any info.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 2 Nov 22:48]

Evil_Yagami
39th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):SNKP's President goes out the window" , posted Fri 2 Nov 23:44:post reply

There is a guy called "Masao Ohata" is working with games development, he was the vice president at Bandai of America. Maybe he is the same president of SNK Playmore !!!

Source : http://www.naymz.com/masaoohata3161536

[this message was edited by Evil_Yagami on Fri 2 Nov 23:49]

Evil_Yagami
40th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):SNKP's President goes out the window" , posted Sat 3 Nov 00:27:post reply

Masao Ohata ---> https://www.facebook.com/masao.ohata

probably he is the new president of SNK Playmore, you can see he is a friend with one of SNK Playmore employees "Shinya Morishita".

[this message was edited by Evil_Yagami on Sat 3 Nov 00:33]

Professor
3601th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):SNKP's President goes out the window" , posted Sat 3 Nov 01:19:post reply

quote:

probably he is the new president of SNK Playmore, you can see he is a friend with one of SNK Playmore employees "Shinya Morishita".

It's a probablilty though I'm not sure. A small-size traditional Japanese company isn't too likely to hire someone with an US-only career into their company as president. It would explain why his name doesn't bring any results in the Japanese side of things however.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 3 Nov 01:21]

Evil_Yagami
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):SNKP's President goes out the window" , posted Sat 3 Nov 01:48:post reply

His twitter !

https://twitter.com/MasaoOhata/

Maybe SNK is merged with other company, I don't know, I am trying to figure out why they hired a person from USA while Japan is full with talented game developers !

[this message was edited by Evil_Yagami on Sat 3 Nov 01:49]

Professor
3601th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):SNKP's President goes out the window" , posted Sat 3 Nov 02:08post reply

quote:
His twitter !

https://twitter.com/MasaoOhata/

Maybe SNK is merged with other company, I don't know, I am trying to figure out why they hired a person from USA while Japan is full with talented game developers !

If SNKP merged with another company, both parties would have to report it.

Considering he has a history in the videogaming industry and he seems to pride himself about it, if this is actually the same Ohata, it may be a good thing for SNKP's gaming sector, or at least the residue that's left behind of it. At least we'll get to see more SNS games.

Evil_Yagami
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(8):SNKP's President goes out the window" , posted Sat 3 Nov 02:31post reply

quote:

Considering he has a history in the videogaming industry and he seems to pride himself about it, if this is actually the same Ohata, it may be a good thing for SNKP's gaming sector, or at least the residue that's left behind of it. At least we'll get to see more SNS games.

I totally agree with you, we need someone who can lead SNK to create and improve their games section, and this guy it seems that he has the experience to do that !

Professor
3603th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):SNKP's President goes out the window" , posted Sat 3 Nov 03:40:post reply

quote:

I totally agree with you, we need someone who can lead SNK to create and improve their games section, and this guy it seems that he has the experience to do that !

If this guy turns out to be the president, he was working in the mobile phone sector for the past few years. Considering how bad business is in the arcade sector and also cost of development for consoles, IMO it's unrealistic to expect any sudden dramatic changes. It's probably realistic though to expect that things won't get any worse. (Then again, how worse can it get when you already have people that've left.)

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 3 Nov 03:53]

Gojira
2891th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(10):SNKP's President goes out the window" , posted Sat 3 Nov 05:39post reply

If this is really the guy, then it's possible that they're shifing more of their focus into the mobile games market. Maybe those iOS releases were more profitable than we know?

chazumaru
957th Post

"Re(6):SNKP's President goes out the window" , posted Sat 3 Nov 06:26post reply

quote:

It's a probablilty though I'm not sure. A small-size traditional Japanese company isn't too likely to hire someone with an US-only career into their company as president. It would explain why his name doesn't bring any results in the Japanese side of things however.

Nice detective work

The Namco guy also has a Linkedin account. Friend with Iwasaki Jun hmm hmm. He is the kind of guy who would have good connections to become CEO... But almost too good for SNKP! The Atari/Namco US connection is historically quite strong and powerful, even within the traditional Japanese industry landscape, so it would not shock me that this guy was offered the job. I'd be more surprised that he accepted.

mbisonhatclub
531th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):SNKP's President goes out the window" , posted Sat 3 Nov 10:14post reply

If they do shift their focus to mobile games, that'll still be inaccessible to people like me who aren't possessing a mobile device capable of playing their games since I'm not rich like Mitt Romney, but anything is better than the focus on Pachisluts. Though it'd be nice if there was some way for us nonmobile guys to try out their mobile applications, too.

GekigangerV
1792th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"cafeID tournament tonight" , posted Sat 3 Nov 12:49post reply

http://www.twitch.tv/cafeid

Should be on in a couple of hours after this post.

GekigangerV
1794th Post

"Re(2):SNKP's President goes out of the window" , posted Sat 3 Nov 13:00post reply

quote:

Soul Calibur Vs Samurai Shodown... Hmm! I wonder what Onda-san at Namco thinks about this! Some clever journalist should ask his opinion fufufu.

@kofoguz, let's be realistic/pessimistic and expect a KOF card game at GREE or Mobage.

If we got a GREE game like the original SNKvsCapcom card fighters clash I would be excited, but GREE games sure do look like shit whenever I see them.

I hope that this change doesn't kill our chances for new fighters (I guess more specifically KOF) in the near future.

Loona
651th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):SNKP's President goes out the window" , posted Sat 3 Nov 14:06post reply

quote:

If he indeed had a career in the USA, that could be a good thing - SNKP historically has a hard time affirming itself in the international market, so if someone leading pushes it further in that direction it could be a good thing. Just translating their Japan-only cellphone games for the overseas market would be a welcome step.

Nice to know that Harada tweet about SCxSS wasn't completely forgotten, at least around here - I wonder what the opinions look like at Namco-Bandai - it's Tekken season and the Project Soul team must have been reassigned to something since the latest SC5 DLC, right?...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

kofoguz
1010th Post

"Neo-Geo X Gold Hands-on" , posted Sun 4 Nov 09:37:post reply

quote:

If he indeed had a career in the USA, that could be a good thing - SNKP historically has a hard time affirming itself in the international market, so if someone leading pushes it further in that direction it could be a good thing. Just translating their Japan-only cellphone games for the overseas market would be a welcome step.

Nice to know that Harada tweet about SCxSS wasn't completely forgotten, at least around here - I wonder what the opinions look like at Namco-Bandai - it's Tekken season and the Project Soul team must have been reassigned to something since the latest SC5 DLC, right?...

@chaz Well, I'm a daydreamer and when I am pessimistic the world and all the souls of living things end , so I always trick myself to be a optimist. So daydreaming full throttle.

About SCvsSS I think, it would do good for both franchises. It'll shake up and add some spice. SCV tried that and ( I heard) it kinda worked. I didnt have the chance to play it yet. SSSen did not worked out. And integrated storyline would be great. Imagine SC game which has SS characters and they also heard the two swords and looking for them.
Imagine Charlotte, Ukyo, Basara, Jubei, Nakoruru, Shiki etc. in SC style. Or imagine SC characters Taki (her lady parts in good hands), Voldo, Yoshimitsu, Siegf. Kılık, in SS style backgrounds, they heard Amakusa got the both swords, and they are after that.

Also I would like to see another crossover between companies other than Capcom. I do want to see sequels of SVC/CVS series though.

About Masao Ohata, obviously I hope he helps the creativity and productivity of game section . But I wonder why don't they make some Facebook games, like Zynga and such. And more Android/Iphone ports would make quick cash ( I suppose).

Finally I think they are upto a new Climax console version with more characters. That is just not hope. I predict something like that. I have feeling about that. In before people saying this doesnt make sense because of so and so, I would like to stress on "I'm just guessing" and "Snk didnt make a decision that make sense since forever".

EDIT:
Neo-Geo hands-on video

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Mon 5 Nov 08:44]

Loona
652th Post

"Re(1):Neo-Geo X Gold Hands-on" , posted Mon 5 Nov 10:20post reply

Is anyone here familiar with the Geese Howard manga?
The concept of centering a story around a character that's a backbone of the SNK mythos is interesting to me, but I wonder if the execution lives up to th concept, especially after reading "The Life and Times of scrooge McDuck", which does something similar for Disney comics and pulls it off admirably at times.
The fact that it's apparently not easily found online is a bit unnerving too...

Why Udon took its chances translating and publishing a Captain Commando manga instead of this I'll never know, especially considering the publisher is the same.

sibarraz
473th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Neo-Geo X Gold Hands-on" , posted Mon 5 Nov 12:19post reply

quote:
The concept of centering a story around a character that's a backbone of the SNK mythos is interesting to me, but I wonder if the execution lives up to th concept, especially after reading "The Life and Times of scrooge McDuck", which does something similar for Disney comics and pulls it off admirably at times.

Why Udon took its chances translating and publishing a Captain Commando manga instead of this I'll never know, especially considering the publisher is the same.

It's me or the neo geo x has some slowdowns? there is something with the previews that doesn't convince me

Nobinobita
1108th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Neo-Geo X Gold Hands-on" , posted Mon 5 Nov 14:50post reply

quote:

A comic about the life of Geese Howard sounds amazing. A comic about Geese Howard in the vein of a Don Rosa or Carl Barks $crooge McDuck yarn could possibly be the best thing ever.

I'm looking forward to the Captain Commando comic since Baby Head is one of my favorite characters ever (as you can see). I hope it's as gonzo as the bizarre couple of pages that Akiman drew back in the day:

http://kidfenris.blogspot.com/2011/10/dark-side-of-captain-commando.html

www.art-eater.com

Professor
3603th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Neo-Geo X Gold Hands-on" , posted Mon 5 Nov 15:42post reply

quote:

Etsuya Amajishi's Geese Howard and AOF manga series were the best comics released by Gamest/Shueisha publishing back in its days. If you want to see some sample art of the two series, check the below URLs. Personally I'm still trying to find the AOF mangas for a good deal.

http://1st.geocities.jp/sunnyknuckle/snk/amatodo.html
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/savetheaof/folder/398150.html
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9448856 - Nico

BTW that just reminded me, September marked the 20th anniversary of the Art Of Fighting series. Man how time has passed.

Nobinobita
1109th Post

"Re(3):Neo-Geo X Gold Hands-on" , posted Mon 5 Nov 17:06post reply

quote:

Etsuya Amajishi's Geese Howard and AOF manga series were the best comics released by Gamest/Shueisha publishing back in its days. If you want to see some sample art of the two series, check the below URLs. Personally I'm still trying to find the AOF mangas for a good deal.

http://1st.geocities.jp/sunnyknuckle/snk/amatodo.html
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/savetheaof/folder/398150.html

BTW that just reminded me, September marked the 20th anniversary of the Art Of Fighting series. Man how time has passed.

Oh my gosh. What a blast from the past!

I read that Art of Fighting Manga years and years ago in Thailand! I thought my brain was just conjuring up images of an AOF comic by Masaomi Kanzaki (who did the first Street Fighter II comic), but it was real! (and by a totally different artist) Ah man, this is going on my wish list.

www.art-eater.com

Loona
654th Post

"Re(3):Neo-Geo X Gold Hands-on" , posted Tue 6 Nov 04:45post reply

quote:

There are actually two versions of the manga?...

I wonder if any of them helped establish all the suff about Krauser's family I read in the SNK wiki, tracking down sources of some obscure SNK lore can get pretty messed up...

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
It was probably a terrible idea to got for a "Life and Times of Geese Howard" thing as a NaNoWriMo project, I am nor literate or informed enough to get my facts straight, though some gaps in the lore fill themselves nicely if you overthink them enough.

End of Spoiler

A fun little factoid I found when searching info on that manga's author is that he also handled on based on AoF3 - based on Karman Cole's perspective, of all people... I knew some people liked the character despite being a one-game wonder, but that sounds like quite the challenge, even if it's mostly a Robert-centric story...

quote:

Holy damn, 20 years... and I still have a hard time thinkig of a game that's introduced as many innovations to the genre.

chazumaru
960th Post

"Re(4):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Wed 7 Nov 01:11post reply

2000 units for France. What the hell? I was barely expecting 2000 units worldwide.
Launch price for the Gold/LE pack is €199.

Toxico
5736th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(5):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Thu 8 Nov 00:44:post reply

thread - hi - jack

edit : It's hard to tell a company's name in pink.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 8 Nov 01:35]

Professor
3609th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Thu 8 Nov 00:59:post reply

What, 2000 in France alone!? I wonder how much it's getting in the US.

Actually come to think, I wonder how well KOF13 sold in the US too, never got the real figures.

To continue with Toxico, thread hi jack two
(details here)

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 10 Nov 15:42]

Loona
656th Post

"Re(6):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Thu 8 Nov 01:27post reply

quote:
thread - hi - jack

edit : It's hard to tell a company's name in pink.

What show it that? Something by Kyoto animation again? I read they have something new out after "Hyouka" called "Chu-2-Byo demo Koi ga Shitai!", but the little I've seen from character designs in that doesn't match those screenshots...

Toxico
5736th Post

"Re(7):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Thu 8 Nov 01:35:post reply

quote:

What show it that? Something by Kyoto animation again? I read they have something new out after "Hyouka" called "Chu-2-Byo demo Koi ga Shitai!", but the little I've seen from character designs in that doesn't match those screenshots...

I'm not sure if I if I can write the name out of memory, but it should be something like Sakurasou pet na Kanojo. The Chyuuni bou series has the Konami code (I have been told). The SNK images are from this week episode (the 5th one).

quote:
What, 2000 in France alone!? I wonder how much it's getting in the US.

Actually come to think, I wonder how well KOF13 sold in the US too, never got the real figures.

France is a much better nostalgia landmine than the US for anything other than SF2 (same goes for Italy and, well, technically Latin America), so I wouldn't be surprised that the US got at best the same amount of units.

Speaking of Atlus sales figures, the fact that they always refused to release them coupled with the fact that the game dropped 30% of it's price not even 3 months away from release can't be a good sign.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 8 Nov 01:51]

Nekros
516th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Fri 9 Nov 03:19post reply

quote:
thread - hi - jack

What's an Xbox doing there? Put a bit of Sega* in your room... in 2015 even Eva pilots will still play Saturn!

* Did you know that the exact word Sega is Italian? It means "saw" or is a slang to "masturbation" (technically err.. handjob); in fact in the Italian TV commercials was mispelled as Seega for both giving an English sound and avoid pun and jokes. My mother laughed at the Sega call in the Sonic games the first time she heard it. ^^'

Baines
334th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Fri 9 Nov 10:30post reply

quote:
I'm not sure if I if I can write the name out of memory, but it should be something like Sakurasou pet na Kanojo. The Chyuuni bou series has the Konami code (I have been told). The SNK images are from this week episode (the 5th one).

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo. Average guy ends up staying in a dorm of eccentric geniuses because he can't keep cats in the regular dorm, and ultimately stays to take care of a girl who can't take care of herself.

I want to recall the Konami code showing up in Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, chanted by one of the characters. So it was probably Rikka. Show is about a boy who spent a year acting like he was a powerful dark magician, who grows out of it and is so embarrassed that he switches to a different school. However, he quickly ends up caught up in the life of a girl who is currently going through such a period, and who knows his back story.

Professor
3608th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Neo-Geo X Gold Hands-on" , posted Fri 9 Nov 18:58:post reply

quote:
There are actually two versions of the manga?...

I wonder if any of them helped establish all the suff about Krauser's family I read in the SNK wiki, tracking down sources of some obscure SNK lore can get pretty messed up...

Ah almost missed out on replying to this one. The images on the left are the fixed/updated images when it got released as paperback, whereas the images on the right are from when it was running in Gamest's magazine. Like for example, Yamazaki was getting out of the passenger's seat although he's always alone, so that was fixed.

It's pretty standard practice for mangas to fix or update details when they get printed on paperback, even with like the Shonen Jump stuff. Sometimes it's details like fixing faces or mistakes, sometimes it's to add stuff in like... nipples.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 9 Nov 18:59]

Ishmael
4486th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(7):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Sat 10 Nov 04:09post reply

quote:

So the only difference between men and women in the SNKPverse is pants?

Baines
335th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Sat 10 Nov 04:22post reply

quote:

The women have skimpier outfits.

Though Haohmaru is pushing it with that open top look.

Ishmael
4488th Post

"Re(9):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Sat 10 Nov 04:59post reply

quote:

The women have skimpier outfits.

Though Haohmaru is pushing it with that open top look.

It seems like a missed beefcake opportunity for He-Mai not to have a plunging neckline.

Loona
657th Post

"Re(8):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Sat 10 Nov 11:20post reply

quote:

Well, She-Kyo at least shows less skin than SNK's own Moe Habana.

Gojira
2894th Post

"Re(9):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Sat 10 Nov 11:52:post reply

The shekyo isn't Kyoko? Sheori is not Miss X? GODDAMN IT SNKP REMEMBER YOUR LORE

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 10 Nov 11:54]

sibarraz
474th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Sat 10 Nov 11:57post reply

mmm, Atlus USAhasn't released data of the sales for none of their, we just had vgchartz who says that KOF XIII was one of the best selling games of atlus usa

Professor
3609th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Sat 10 Nov 15:41:post reply

quote:
The shekyo isn't Kyoko? Sheori is not Miss X? GODDAMN IT SNKP REMEMBER YOUR LORE

It's for an online game called Lost Saga. SNKP licensed the characters to the developer I.O. Entertainment, but apparently their agreement only covers Korea-- the characters haven't been distributed in services at other countries.

Ark System Works also has a license with them, but they were apparently more flexible about things-- their characters are available in the US service as well.

You can see them in action here and here.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 10 Nov 15:44]

Loona
662th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Wed 14 Nov 09:12post reply

Am I the only one frustrated by how some some trivia on the games isn't sourced or sufficiently cross-referenced?

For years I've read that Mary's grandfather trained Geese, but didn't see his name anywhere. Now I check some stuff on Toji Sakata, whom I assumed had trained Geese too, and a name for that grandfather appears, Suo Tatsumi (didn't expect a japanese name there...), along with Toji having an unresolved rivaly with that guy, but another about Toji actually teaching...

Where does info like this come from?... The wiki has plenty of it, but never states the source for any of it, which blurs the line between info and ascended headcanon...
At least the KoF anniversary site is a great direct source for some factoids (like confirming Mary's family name is actually Ryan), even if it messes up things like spelling sometimes...

Toxico
5738th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Wed 14 Nov 09:53post reply

quote:
Am I the only one frustrated by how some some trivia on the games isn't sourced or sufficiently cross-referenced?

Where does info like this come from?... The wiki has plenty of it, but never states the source for any of it, which blurs the line between info and ascended headcanon...

For Toji's case, the japanese version of WA had detailed in game background for the characters coupled with their basic information and a bunch of stuff, I think that it was conveniently placed in the gallery of the game. WA's settei is pretty strong, not only they are reusing things from Garou Densetsu 1 (which had a pretty advanced settei for it's time), but they are adding a bunch of things to tie fun facts and nods from the following games.

For Toji's case, I think that the text hints that he knew nothing of Geese before he killed his rival. As for Mary's Grandfather; I think that the Garou 3 storyline pointed out that he trained Geese and was later offed by him.

BTW, labeling an eng wiki focused on entertainment (games, music, movies, anime, etc) as a "good source of info" rather than a "fan fiction collection of misinterpreted facts" is unquestionably horribly wrong.

Speaking of WA, just the other day I was remembering on just how criminally underrated it's sountrack is, example , example . There are a bunch of other decent tracks as well.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Loona
663th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Wed 14 Nov 11:13post reply

quote:
For Toji's case, the japanese version of WA had detailed in game background for the characters coupled with their basic information and a bunch of stuff, I think that it was conveniently placed in the gallery of the game. WA's settei is pretty strong, not only they are reusing things from Garou Densetsu 1 (which had a pretty advanced settei for it's time), but they are adding a bunch of things to tie fun facts and nods from the following games.

For Toji's case, I think that the text hints that he knew nothing of Geese before he killed his rival. As for Mary's Grandfather; I think that the Garou 3 storyline pointed out that he trained Geese and was later offed by him.

Yeah, I recall the bit about Mary's grandfather training Geese being mentioned in a french mahazine before FF3 was released, but the name was new to me, as was the bit about Geese offing the guy (motivation? timeline?).
Toji not training him after all makes things more manageable, fitting 2 teacher figures in the guy's life is easier than to do so with 3, but Toji is such a subtly badass character I wouldn't mind seeing him have a bigger role in things.

I didn't care much for Tsugumi in WA, but one of her loading screens had a character in it I've never seen identified - her father perhaps? Makes me think of a younger Segata Sanshiro, for some reason.

quote:

BTW, labeling an eng wiki focused on entertainment (games, music, movies, anime, etc) as a "good source of info" rather than a "fan fiction collection of misinterpreted facts" is unquestionably horribly wrong.

It has a lot of problems, but it's practically the only place where one can find stuff like information on the Yagyu Life Theatre in english - an effort like the Street Fighter canon plot guide and its extensive listing of sources never quite materialized for SNK's works, sadly.
Just getting proper sources mentioned there might at least help, bit it's discouraging when an effort like trying to split the articles for a Fatal Fury game and a portable counterpart gets reverted because it's "the same game", even if there are necessary cast and gameplay changes...

Professor
3613th Post

MMCafe Owner

"SNK Playmore president's background confirmed" , posted Wed 14 Nov 19:49:post reply

It seems that Evil Yagami's detective work turned out to be correct.

Here's the lowdown by Japanese arcade journal site AMPress.
I've updated MMCafe's index with the info in case anyone wants a permalink.

Effective November 1, SNKPlaymore has assigned Masao Ohata, age 53, as its corporate president. Ohata has a colorful history in the American videogame industry. A graduate of Japan's Chuo University in economics, Ohata was the president of Jaleco USA until he moved to Time Warner Interactive as head of International operations in 1995. He went on to Midway Amusement as vice president before moving to Bandai America in 2001 as vice president, then to Acrodea America in 2009 as president and CEO.

An official press release is scheduled by SNK Playmore on November 21.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 14 Nov 20:16]

sibarraz
475th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Neo-Geo X Gold" , posted Thu 15 Nov 08:23post reply

quote:

Speaking of WA, just the other day I was remembering on just how criminally underrated it's sountrack is, example , example . There are a bunch of other decent tracks as well.

For me, WA is the best OST/AST that SNK has ever released, maybe is fighting this position with kof 96

Evil_Yagami
42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):SNK Playmore president's background con" , posted Thu 15 Nov 18:37post reply

quote:
It seems that Evil Yagami's detective work turned out to be correct.

Here's the lowdown by Japanese arcade journal site AMPress.
I've updated MMCafe's index with the info in case anyone wants a permalink.

Effective November 1, SNKPlaymore has assigned Masao Ohata, age 53, as its corporate president. Ohata has a colorful history in the American videogame industry. A graduate of Japan's Chuo University in economics, Ohata was the president of Jaleco USA until he moved to Time Warner Interactive as head of International operations in 1995. He went on to Midway Amusement as vice president before moving to Bandai America in 2001 as vice president, then to Acrodea America in 2009 as president and CEO.

An official press release is scheduled by SNK Playmore on November 21.

New press release is coming on Nov 21 ! also Akysys will release BlazBlue in the Japanese arcades in the same day ! maybe SNK Playmore is planning to whip BlazBlue's ass with new game ! KOF XIV ?!

kofoguz
1011th Post

"Re(2):SNK Playmore president's background con" , posted Thu 15 Nov 18:48post reply

quote:
New press release is coming on Nov 21 ! also Akysys will release BlazBlue in the Japanese arcades in the same day ! maybe SNK Playmore is planning to whip BlazBlue's ass with new game ! KOF XIV ?!

I didnt think this as a new announcement. I thought press release is about new president.

Professor
3615th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):SNK Playmore president's background con" , posted Thu 15 Nov 20:45:post reply

quote:

I didnt think this as a new announcement. I thought press release is about new president.

Yeah it's about the new president.

On another note, SNKP's got the pachislot rights to "Darker Than Black". The product looks already finished and it'll be out in the market in January. Trailer Available here.

Considering how badly this company took care of their own IP, this pachislot might be just as much a nightmare. Entrusting to a company like that, especially if it's their first time handling a third party copyright, is more or less like going into an operation room with an intern who works with pizza cutters. It's also being released at a weird timing, which is making some people make pretty odd presumptions.

[edit]
Looks like Ohata's updated his Facebook.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 16 Nov 01:44]

Gunsmith
38th Post

Orochinagi WebHamster

"Re(4):SNK Playmore president's background con" , posted Fri 16 Nov 01:43post reply

The 3rd time around, Mosburger wasn't so great.

----------------------------------
How does it feel?
orochinagi.com

Evil_Yagami
43th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):SNK Playmore president's background con" , posted Fri 16 Nov 02:24post reply

I think it's great move from SNK to hire Masao Ohata as CEO of the company, this guy has a great experience in games development, beside to that he has man relations with many companies like Namco etc ... he can use this to help SNK !

Professor
3616th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):SNK Playmore president's background con" , posted Fri 16 Nov 02:48:post reply

quote:
I think it's great move from SNK to hire Masao Ohata as CEO of the company, this guy has a great experience in games development, beside to that he has man relations with many companies like Namco etc ... he can use this to help SNK !

Sort of. I don't get this guy. At least on paper, he's been in major companies and then he's going to one of the most notorious videogames company in Japan. It's like working for Joel Robuchon and then going on to flipping burgers at Mcdonalds.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 16 Nov 02:53]

Evil_Yagami
45th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(7):SNK Playmore president's background con" , posted Fri 16 Nov 03:07:post reply

quote:
Sort of. I don't get this guy. At least on paper, he's been in major companies and then he's going to one of the most notorious videogames company in Japan. It's like working for Joel Robuchon and then going on to flipping burgers at Mcdonalds.

Me also, I can't understand why he accepted to work with a small company, it's a mystery ! maybe he like challenges, maybe he wants to rise the company from the ashes, or there are other reasons, like future merging with other company he worked with them like Namco ! I will wait the press release, maybe it has some info !

[this message was edited by Evil_Yagami on Fri 16 Nov 03:12]

karasu99
1030th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(8):SNK Playmore president's background con" , posted Fri 16 Nov 03:17post reply

quote:

Well, this kind of thing isn't unheard of elsewhere in the world of business management, where a competent guy is brought in investors in a company that's not doing well but that has at least some value with the intention that they may be able to turn it around. Professor, I'm not sure if this kind of thing is common in Japan, but might it not be a possibility?

I mean, SNKP may have trashed their IP in the past several years, but surely the name has at least some value and brand recognition even if it's only overseas, right?

I was just about to press post when it occurred to me how bleak this whole discussion is. I know we talk about all kinds of things here, but SNK's games were one of the big reasons I came around here originally, and love for their work is a lot of what kept me playing video games in general over the years. I find it really, REALLY sad to see the kind of state they're in these days.

www.secret-arts.com

Professor
3618th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):SNK Playmore president's background con" , posted Fri 16 Nov 04:17:post reply

quote:
Well, this kind of thing isn't unheard of elsewhere in the world of business management, where a competent guy is brought in investors in a company that's not doing well but that has at least some value with the intention that they may be able to turn it around. Professor, I'm not sure if this kind of thing is common in Japan, but might it not be a possibility?

I mean, SNKP may have trashed their IP in the past several years, but surely the name has at least some value and brand recognition even if it's only overseas, right?

I was just about to press post when it occurred to me how bleak this whole discussion is. I know we talk about all kinds of things here, but SNK's games were one of the big reasons I came around here originally, and love for their work is a lot of what kept me playing video games in general over the years. I find it really, REALLY sad to see the kind of state they're in these days.

Yes and no. For a small-sized company that's closed-stock, it's extremely rare. That definitely seems to be the intent in him being hired, but I still find it surprising. Hopefully next week's press release will shed some light.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The thing about SNK is that the company, despite known in the gaming industry to have really horrible management and working conditions, also had really good IP and a lot of ambition and challenges in their products. Their games were really great, even a tad over the edge at times. And that's what really got me, as well as a lot of others, into it. But they became a mere ghost after their acquisition by Aruze, and after starting anew as SNKPlaymore, they were completely worn out, almost dead on arrival.

KOF13 brought some of that magic and nostalgia back, so I'm hoping that they'll continue to do well from here on. They're still making good use of their IP in the SNS sector, like this and this.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 16 Nov 04:47]

Evil_Yagami
45th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(10):SNK Playmore president's background co" , posted Fri 16 Nov 04:44post reply

I wonder how many copies of KOF 13 sold around the world ! VGChartz listed in their website that the game has sold about 500000 copies which is a huge success, but Atlus said it's wrong number ! and SNK didn't mention anything about it !!!

kofoguz
1012th Post

"Re(10):SNK Playmore president's background co" , posted Fri 16 Nov 11:24post reply

quote:

Yes and no. For a small-sized company that's closed-stock, it's extremely rare. That definitely seems to be the intent in him being hired, but I still find it surprising. Hopefully next week's press release will shed some light.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The thing about SNK is that the company, despite known in the gaming industry to have really horrible management and working conditions, also had really good IP and a lot of ambition and challenges in their products. Their games were really great, even a tad over the edge at times. And that's what

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --
Yeah, I'm not expert or anything but it really dumbfounding that havin great IP's but it took forever to milk them. I cant believe they stil couldnt get most of their classics to PSN /Live/Virtual collections etc.

They still couldnt reach the (AFAIK) Last Blade/Real Bout period yet. To this day we still play KOF XI with my friend, we dont have KOF XIII yet but even then I would like to play KOF XI on PS3, but we cant, cause there's no option. Lots of great titles still not on PSN/Xboxlive/virtual. It's a miracle NGBC is on Xbox Live. From my point of view you release them and get money. I dont understand. Does it cost too much?Does it take months? Dont they bother? I heard time to time they release something on N-G Station and now some ipad/iphone/android ports (which i think is good) but thats it. Really weird.

I feel like some game division employee's beg Mizufune to port classics and now and then he accepts. LOL I can imagine, Mizufune as the evil step mother and the pachislot division as the ugly step-sister and our beloved game division as Cinderella. I hope Ohata is the Prince charming!

chazumaru
962th Post

"Re(7):SNK Playmore president's background con" , posted Mon 19 Nov 18:35:post reply

quote:
They still couldnt reach the (AFAIK) Last Blade/Real Bout period yet

Actually, they have on Wii.
JP Virtual Console
US Virtual Console (same for Europe)

quote:

Sort of. I don't get this guy. At least on paper, he's been in major companies and then he's going to one of the most notorious videogames company in Japan.

Yeah, same feeling here. It's strange they managed to land this guy; almost makes me wonder if he owes someone a favor. Anyhow GJ Evil Yagami on setting up the right trail! I am curious to see in which direction this guy will head the company.

Please never use VGChartz in a serious discussion. Their "data" is mostly bullshit.

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Mon 19 Nov 18:43]

kofoguz
1013th Post

"Re(8):SNK Playmore president's background con" , posted Tue 20 Nov 01:41post reply

quote:
They still couldnt reach the (AFAIK) Last Blade/Real Bout period yet

Actually, they have on Wii.
JP Virtual Console
US Virtual Console (same for Europe)

Well, thank god they did Last Blade. But still no newer games. It's a shame there's no KoF XI, SvC and stuff.

chazumaru
964th Post

"Re(9):SNK Playmore president's background con" , posted Tue 20 Nov 02:01post reply

KOF XI is not a Neo Geo game.

mbisonhatclub
533th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):SNK Playmore president's backgro" , posted Tue 20 Nov 04:23post reply

quote:
Mizufune blah blah
There's a reason I thank my lucky stars he's gone. I wonder on what terms, but either way he's gone and that's all that really matters in the end (though I hope it was on bad terms)

kofoguz
1014th Post

"Re(10):SNK Playmore president's background co" , posted Tue 20 Nov 04:41post reply

quote:
KOF XI is not a Neo Geo game.

Ok, ok What I meant was, games that is not available online services, not necessarily the Neo-Geo ones.

chazumaru
965th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):SNK Playmore president's backgro" , posted Tue 20 Nov 06:10post reply

Ah. Well, if it comes, it will most likely be released on PS2 archives at some point. CVS2 came out in September. Reprogramming/porting a game from that era specifically for XBLA/PSN would probably be a waste of money so I don't expect any better outcome.

GekigangerV
1797th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):SNK Playmore president's backgro" , posted Wed 21 Nov 14:20post reply

So any update on Press release or any interesting info in general? Just made a quick check of the SNKplaymore site and didn't see anything yet and it's about 2 PM in Japan now.

In KOF related news, I finally completed 200 Trials in KOFXIII on my 360 copy. Finished up with Andy's trial 5 and it felt great being able to cancel all those Kuuhadans. May try to finish up, up to 5 trials with all the characters to unlock those emblems but stuff like Elizabeth's are too hard for me.

Mosquiton
1843th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):SNK Playmore president's backgro" , posted Wed 21 Nov 14:36post reply

quote:

In KOF related news, I finally completed 200 Trials in KOFXIII on my 360 copy. Finished up with Andy's trial 5 and it felt great being able to cancel all those Kuuhadans. May try to finish up, up to 5 trials with all the characters to unlock those emblems but stuff like Elizabeth's are too hard for me.

Damn dude, congrats on those trials. Those things are serious business.

/ / /

Professor
3622th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Re(10):SNK Playmore president's backgro" , posted Thu 22 Nov 02:07post reply

quote:
So any update on Press release or any interesting info in general? Just made a quick check of the SNKplaymore site and didn't see anything yet and it's about 2 PM in Japan now.

No press release today, pity. If there isn't one released tomorrow, I wouldn't hold my breath because it's a 3-day-weekend in Japan.

Oh wow you finished 200? Congrats!

Professor
3624th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Re(10):SNK Playmore president's backgro" , posted Thu 22 Nov 20:38post reply

Terry Bogard becomes victim to Hannibal Lector. Toy hits retailers tomorrow.

Toxico
5740th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):SNK Playmore president's backgro" , posted Fri 23 Nov 02:17post reply

quote:
Terry Bogard becomes victim to Hannibal Lecter.

Just what I needed to read today.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Evil_Yagami
46th Post

Rare Customer

"Haohmaru figure is coming from D-Arts !" , posted Sat 24 Nov 01:08post reply

Sources :

http://www.tomopop.com/bandai-teases-samurai-shodown-s-haohmaru-for-d-arts-28015.phtml

http://figsoku.blog39.fc2.com/blog-entry-3476.html

Ishmael
4495th Post

"Re(1):Haohmaru figure is coming from D-Arts !" , posted Sat 24 Nov 02:08post reply

How tall are these D-Arts figures? For some reason I've never seen that listed. That, or I'm too lazy to find the information.

Professor
3627th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Haohmaru figure is coming from D-Arts !" , posted Sun 25 Nov 17:14:post reply

quote:
Sources :

http://www.tomopop.com/bandai-teases-samurai-shodown-s-haohmaru-for-d-arts-28015.phtml

Interesting. The text reads "you decide on the next character!" while the silouette is Haoumaru, which seems sorta contradicting, haha.

Remember-- Mai, Kyo, and Kim are already confirmed.
http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/15/54/38/32/d-art_11.jpg

The Terry figure is 15cm/6inches.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 25 Nov 17:21]

Loona
664th Post

"Re(2):Haohmaru figure is coming from D-Arts !" , posted Mon 26 Nov 05:02post reply

quote:

Interesting. The text reads "you decide on the next character!" while the silouette is Haoumaru, which seems sorta contradicting, haha.

It'll probably take them so long to get Haohmaru's outrageous hair right that they can probably handle another complete figure while working out the physics to make it work.

GekigangerV
1799th Post

"Re(1):Haohmaru figure is coming from D-Arts !" , posted Mon 26 Nov 14:45post reply

quote:
Sources :

I am excited to hear that. My brother picked up Terry for me on Friday and will bring it when he comes home for X-mas. I am super stoked for the D-arts line. The KOF figures are branded under "KOF '94" so I hope that they try to finish up the cast from that game instead of spreading everything around to different casts. Or at the very least try to complete some teams.

I haven't been this excited for an action figure since the old SOTA Street Fighter figs.

Ishmael
4496th Post

"Re(2):Haohmaru figure is coming from D-Arts !" , posted Tue 27 Nov 01:42post reply

Thanks for the size information. Terry's going to be a big boy.

quote:
Remember-- Mai, Kyo, and Kim are already confirmed.
http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/15/54/38/32/d-art_11.jpg

Glad they got a good picture of the "no photography" sign. Still, it's too bad they are already messing up their nice looking Garō Densetsu line by adding some nobody like Kyo.

kofoguz
1015th Post

"Dream time!!!" , posted Tue 27 Nov 04:56post reply

Today I checked the official SNKPlaymore page and theres no update but announcement of Darker Than Black Pachi slot game.

Anyway I had the weird dream last night. There was Garou MOTW2 announcement and trailer. The trailer has Darkstalkers 4 / JOJO ASBR-ish style graphics ( only much better) but it has Chun Li in it. I was shocked to see her in the Garou but I figured they have guest characters now. Then there was Tessa/Tabasa, Guile, Dan and Abel. Then I wonder if it is a new crossover.

I trust my dreams, since my prediction (that I posted here) about JOJO part 8 stars a bad guy (Yoshikage Kira who knew?) which actually is not really the bad guy is partly true.

Evil_Yagami
47th Post

Rare Customer

"Terry Bogard Figure - Video Review !" , posted Thu 29 Nov 18:33post reply

Enjoy !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkIZQfjd87c

KTallguy
1458th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"SamSho1 Interesting Rounds" , posted Wed 5 Dec 08:18post reply

From way back, it seems.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19499917

My buddy and I were talking about how all 2D fighters feel like tick --> combo games lately and how Samsho had such a cool thing going. It would be cool to have another fighter in that vein. Too bad the 3D samsho wasn't a little bit better, it had potential. And it had a black guy in an afro.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

karasu99
1038th Post

"Re(1):SamSho1 Interesting Rounds" , posted Wed 5 Dec 09:16:post reply

quote:
From way back, it seems.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19499917

My buddy and I were talking about how all 2D fighters feel like tick --> combo games lately and how Samsho had such a cool thing going. It would be cool to have another fighter in that vein. Too bad the 3D samsho wasn't a little bit better, it had potential. And it had a black guy in an afro.

I had forgotten just how much of that game looks and sounds so right. Back in the early 90's I'm guessing I clocked hundreds of hours playing this game with my roommate, and the sounds, like the character voice clips, the announcer's voice, and little things like the sound the barrels make in Galford's stage when they're cut really take me back!

Plus I love the little oddities like the coins that shower down when a character is finished by being cut in half!

I agree about how fighting games could perhaps benefit from a new game that's focused less on big combo and more on the big, meaty hits of the SamSho series. For me, it's no less exciting to watch than a combo fest like MvC2 or something.

EDIT: Wow, I just can't shut up today. I had also forgotten just how amazing the backgrounds are in the SamSho series, or at least for the first three games! It's no wonder that I always felt unimpressed with the ones in KOF (sorry).

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Wed 5 Dec 09:23]

KTallguy
1459th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):SamSho1 Interesting Rounds" , posted Wed 5 Dec 11:10post reply

Yeah, it was definitely a labor of love. I think that there is some subtlety that a lot of games lack.

In theory you could say that SamSho is a technically easier game because of the lack of combos, but really where the skill comes in is having good yomi and timing, and taking advantage of your opponent's 隙あり... taking advantage of when the opponent makes themselves vulnerable for a split second. The problem is, when you're Haomaru and your A+B slash on counter hit takes half health, a lot of people will throw down the controller. But in Blazblu and potentially Marvel, you can hear the tap tap as your opponent is working to extract every last bit of damage out of you.

This phenomenon is also responsible for the very long combos seen in Tekken... and even VF5 followed suit with much longer combos than VF4 Evo, seriously compare matches of both games sometimes...the combo length is much longer now.

I like games that are about big hits and good timing, but how do you make it feel fair?

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

karasu99
1038th Post

"Re(3):SamSho1 Interesting Rounds" , posted Wed 5 Dec 11:49post reply

quote:
Yeah, it was definitely a labor of love. I think that there is some subtlety that a lot of games lack.

In theory you could say that SamSho is a technically easier game because of the lack of combos, but really where the skill comes in is having good yomi and timing, and taking advantage of your opponent's 隙あり... taking advantage of when the opponent makes themselves vulnerable for a split second. The problem is, when you're Haomaru and your A+B slash on counter hit takes half health, a lot of people will throw down the controller. But in Blazblu and potentially Marvel, you can hear the tap tap as your opponent is working to extract every last bit of damage out of you.

This phenomenon is also responsible for the very long combos seen in Tekken... and even VF5 followed suit with much longer combos than VF4 Evo, seriously compare matches of both games sometimes...the combo length is much longer now.

I like games that are about big hits and good timing, but how do you make it feel fair?

Well, unfortunately I don't ever had a chance to find out, since by the time SamSho was to its fourth game it had jumped on the comboing bandwagon as well. It could have been that the formula got more and more refined and and tuned. Playing many of those early NeoGeo titles I often get the impression that almost nothing beyond pure functionality got playtested, and that was only playtested to avoid bugs rather than balancing issues.

This would certainly be a good space for some enterprising indie or doujin dev to slip into and make a timing and strategy based fighting game!

www.secret-arts.com

Mosquiton
1845th Post

"Re(3):SamSho1 Interesting Rounds" , posted Wed 5 Dec 16:08post reply

quote:

In theory you could say that SamSho is a technically easier game because of the lack of combos, but really where the skill comes in is having good yomi and timing, and taking advantage of your opponent's 隙あり...

To have no fear, to slice and kill, to survive.... yes, this is a proper mode of combat.

I was really hopong that Street Fighter IV would be a bit less combo crazy than it ended up being, but I learned how to FADC into Ultras and moved on with life... but this is definitely in line with what I've been feeling about fighters these days.

I was hoping devs would experiment a bit more with the sort of revival fighting games have been enjoying, but the industry is so risk-averse at present.

Karasu is right that it's a great time for a smaller dev to step up. I'd love to see a SamSho or Bushido Blade high-risk high-reward style of fighting game.

I have ideas myself, actually... I may need a few years to get things moving though, heh.

/ / /

karasu99
1039th Post

"Re(4):SamSho1 Interesting Rounds" , posted Wed 5 Dec 19:42post reply

quote:

In theory you could say that SamSho is a technically easier game because of the lack of combos, but really where the skill comes in is having good yomi and timing, and taking advantage of your opponent's 隙あり...
To have no fear, to slice and kill, to survive.... yes, this is a proper mode of combat.

I was really hopong that Street Fighter IV would be a bit less combo crazy than it ended up being, but I learned how to FADC into Ultras and moved on with life... but this is definitely in line with what I've been feeling about fighters these days.

I was hoping devs would experiment a bit more with the sort of revival fighting games have been enjoying, but the industry is so risk-averse at present.

Karasu is right that it's a great time for a smaller dev to step up. I'd love to see a SamSho or Bushido Blade high-risk high-reward style of fighting game.

I have ideas myself, actually... I may need a few years to get things moving though, heh.

We should all consider starting a development house, like some online communities do. There's quite a lot of talent here from what I've seen!

I'll confess that a friend and I have a fighting game concept that's similar to what we're talking about here, but there's so much work involved that we are holding off until we have some traction via other games before pursuing it.

www.secret-arts.com

Madgear
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):SamSho1 Interesting Rounds" , posted Wed 5 Dec 23:31post reply

quote:

We should all consider starting a development house, like some online communities do. There's quite a lot of talent here from what I've seen!

I'll confess that a friend and I have a fighting game concept that's similar to what we're talking about here, but there's so much work involved that we are holding off until we have some traction via other games before pursuing it.

That sounds great-I too have dreamed of having art in a fighting game...the computer-heavy side of things isnt for me...programming and coding arent at all in my skill set.

As for some SNK news that made me happy, one of my favorite SNK fighters "Last Blade 2" was placed on the Wii virtual console arcade! Saw that and bought it. I think we'll record some matches soon over here. Also uploaded and purchased was RealBout Fatal Fury 2-the one with the awesomely slick animations. Really fun stuff!

rlateef.com / rlateef.wordpress.com

Professor
3632th Post

MMCafe Owner

"SNKP gets new chief for games division" , posted Thu 6 Dec 03:00:post reply

Remember SNKPlaymore was slated to make a press release regarding their new president on November 21? They reportedly had a board meeting on the day to officially declare Masao Ohata as their new president. Together with that, they also decided on some other changes in the executives' seats. This apparently went under the radar and it hasn't been covered by the mass media. Fortunately a Pachinko news site covered the story.

http://www.yugitsushin.jp/news/8529/

Quick lowdown:
1.- This guy, Masaki Koyama, has been promoted as chief of the games development division. He hasn't been seen in the public since his appearance at the AOU show in 2008 to talk about Samurai Shodown Sen.
2.- Good ol' Eikichi Kawasaki is still the CEO, as expected
3.- Natsuyo Kawasaki is also still on board though I'm unsure of the relationship to CEO Eikichi.
4.- One of the former presidents, Koichi Sotoyama, is still around as management chief of the company.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 6 Dec 03:10]

sibarraz
476th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):SNKP gets new chief for games division" , posted Thu 6 Dec 05:22post reply

quote:
Remember SNKPlaymore was slated to make a press release regarding their new president on November 21? They reportedly had a board meeting on the day to officially declare Masao Ohata as their new president. Together with that, they also decided on some other changes in the executives' seats. This apparently went under the radar and it hasn't been covered by the mass media. Fortunately a Pachinko news site covered the story.

Quick lowdown:
1.- This guy, Masaki Koyama, has been promoted as chief of the games development division. He hasn't been seen in the public since his appearance at the AOU show in 2008 to talk about Samurai Shodown Sen.
3.- Natsuyo Kawasaki is also still on board though I'm unsure of the relationship to CEO Eikichi.
4.- One of the former presidents, Koichi Sotoyama, is still around as management chief of the company.

Neat, which are the credentials of this guy?

Evil_Yagami
48th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):SNKP gets new chief for games division" , posted Thu 6 Dec 19:40post reply

Some info from NeoGAF by Fersis !

quote:

Its not much what i know (And even less what i can share") but ive been told that:

- XIII sales were quite good (Think SNKP numbers not COD numbers)
- They worked on more characters besides the released cast CANT TELL YOU WHO!
- SNKP is working on a fighting game

Source : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45065260&postcount=5567

kofoguz
1016th Post

"Re(3):SNKP gets new chief for games division" , posted Thu 6 Dec 20:16post reply

quote:

Its not much what i know (And even less what i can share") but ive been told that:

Well it was obvious. I think trophies are clues to this. Adelheid was too obvious and clearly theye wanted shroom&Rimelo and Botan. Maybe Heidern for a surprise Maybe they teamed up with Adelheid with third member. Rose or Whip. I remember how they wanted to use Whip because she was a challenge.

The fighting game; if it is not KOF it is definitely Garou 2. I dont think they will try NGBC yet. With Garou 2 they can use Gato, Tizoc and B. Jenet.

sibarraz
477th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):SNKP gets new chief for games division" , posted Fri 7 Dec 01:33post reply

quote:

Well it was obvious. I think trophies are clues to this. Adelheid was too obvious and clearly theye wanted shroom&Rimelo and Botan. Maybe Heidern for a surprise Maybe they teamed up with Adelheid with third member. Rose or Whip. I remember how they wanted to use Whip because she was a challenge.

The fighting game; if it is not KOF it is definitely Garou 2. I dont think they will try NGBC yet. With Garou 2 they can use Gato, Tizoc and B. Jenet.

I don't know, those 3 rumors seems to be well known facts, The SNKP sales were implied in lots of parts so isn't surprise, the rejected characters were obvious too since we saw them as portraits on the Iphone game, and the new fighting game, well, is snkp, they don't know how to do other games, and the producer of XIII said in an interview that they were in the planning process of which game will be developed, discussing between garou 2 or NGBC 2 just to name some examples that he gave

Professor
3632th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):SNKP gets new chief for games division" , posted Fri 7 Dec 04:56post reply

quote:

Quick lowdown:

Neat, which are the credentials of this guy?

Formerly he was the associate manager in charge of the contents division.

Loona
665th Post

"Re(5):SamSho1 Interesting Rounds" , posted Fri 7 Dec 20:33post reply

quote:

Something like a 2D Bushido Blade with an SS-ish flair to it?

I like this idea. My programming skills are a bit rusty, so I wonder what would be a good exercise to help me get ready to help out if something like this went ahead. Maybe some sort of solo project (card game, I guess) in C++?...

Evil_Yagami
49th Post

Rare Customer

"Geese Howard is coming from D-Arts ?! + other" , posted Fri 7 Dec 22:25post reply

Geese Howard is coming from D-Arts ?! + others

http://www.tomopop.com/ul/_tomopop/26293-/wf2012s_216-noscale.jpg

http://www.tomopop.com/ul/_tomopop/26293-/wf2012s_215-noscale.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/X02H3.jpg

http://www.gunjap.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/2633.jpg

Source : http://www.figurasdeacao.com.br/novo/viewtopic.php?f=58&p=635321

GekigangerV
1802th Post

"Re(1):Geese Howard is coming from D-Arts ?! +" , posted Fri 7 Dec 23:51post reply

quote:
Geese Howard is coming from D-Arts ?! + others

http://www.tomopop.com/ul/_tomopop/26293-/wf2012s_216-noscale.jpg

http://www.tomopop.com/ul/_tomopop/26293-/wf2012s_215-noscale.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/X02H3.jpg

http://www.gunjap.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/2633.jpg

Source : http://www.figurasdeacao.com.br/novo/viewtopic.php?f=58&p=635321

Wow very nice. Looks like I will be funneling my video game money into D-arts for the next couple of years.

Some of those extra character hints are fairly obvious.

The Haoh Sho Ko Ken command hints at Ryo/Robert/Takuma, the win pose is Joe, the next one over says "Iza Jin Jouni" I do believe so that is probably Haohmaru. I think the last one on the right is Kim.

The two on the right stick out. They use instead of like Haoh Sho Ko Ken. Any ideas on those two? The fireball doesn't look like a traditional Hadouken, but maybe the poser forgot how the arms should go or is that from another SNK game I can't remember a specific move from (World Heroes?)

Evil_Yagami
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Geese Howard is coming from D-Arts ?! +" , posted Sat 8 Dec 01:18:post reply

It's nice collection, I already bought Terry's figure !

BTW, I heard now from my local news that an earthquake hit Japan today, I hope all our friends are okay, please let us hear your news, God bless you all.

[this message was edited by Evil_Yagami on Sat 8 Dec 01:19]

Ishmael
4504th Post

"Geese Howard is not coming from D-Arts ?!" , posted Sat 8 Dec 01:20post reply

I didn't read through that entire thread but that Geese is a garage kit. Have fun trying to get that for your collection!

Evil_Yagami
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Geese Howard is not coming from D-Arts " , posted Sat 8 Dec 01:28post reply

@ Ishmael, thanks for the info ! damn I thought it from D-Arts, it's very good figure !

Mosquiton
1846th Post

"Re(6):SamSho1 Interesting Rounds" , posted Sat 8 Dec 05:21post reply

quote:

Something like a 2D Bushido Blade with an SS-ish flair to it?

I like this idea. My programming skills are a bit rusty, so I wonder what would be a good exercise to help me get ready to help out if something like this went ahead. Maybe some sort of solo project (card game, I guess) in C++?...

Card games are a simple place to start, even if it's not great I think it makes a nice manageable solo project.

I'm actually planning to work out some sort of "battle" system in card-game form (I want to get away from concrete damage values/hit points for the physical/violent conflict part)... but currently I'm working on another card-gamey project at the moment.

If the idea a bit I'd love to let other people have a look at it. It's always fun to share ideas.

/ / /

Ishmael
4511th Post

"Re(7):SamSho1 Interesting Rounds" , posted Mon 24 Dec 05:48post reply

It sounds as if the Neo Geo X is already being hacked. That took longer than I thought it would to be honest.

karasu99
1043th Post

"Re(8):SamSho1 Interesting Rounds" , posted Mon 24 Dec 06:49:post reply

quote:
It sounds as if the Neo Geo X is already being hacked. That took longer than I thought it would to be honest.

Thanks for reminding me that NeoGeo X exists, and is even available to buy! Has anybody here actually gotten one?

EDIT: I'm hovering on the edge of holiday cheer-induced ordering of the aforementioned device. $200 seems pretty low, given the apparent quality of the device and the joystick. Plus, Ninja Master's!

Anyway, I happened to see this, which made me think someone here might appreciate it. The wee NeoGeo is especially endearing.

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Tue 25 Dec 04:19]

Toxico
5749th Post

"!!!" , posted Wed 26 Dec 14:43:post reply

Metal Slug, huh?... Crappy 3D or actual HD 2D? Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's another pachinslot

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 26 Dec 14:44]

Ishmael
4514th Post

"Re(1):!!!" , posted Thu 27 Dec 05:27post reply

quote:
Metal Slug, huh?... Crappy 3D or actual HD 2D? Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's another pachinslot

Leave it to D3 to actually promote their games while most of the other companies, including Sony, said something along the lines of "we will have something cool next year, trust us."

While I'm certain that all the new MS games on the iPhone will look amazing all I want from SNKP now is a giant, Mass Effect-style game built around the Sky Love franchise. Come on SNKP, I know you can do it!

karasu99
1045th Post

"Re(2):!!!" , posted Thu 27 Dec 06:03post reply

quote:

While I'm certain that all the new MS games on the iPhone will look amazing all I want from SNKP now is a giant, Mass Effect-style game built around the Sky Love Top Hunter franchise. Come on SNKP, I know you can do it!

I'm sure this is what you really meant, right?

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that I'd love to see a completely new Metal Slug in HD rather than a remade HD version, even if any new game can't possibly surpass MS3 ever in any way at all.

Weren't there also some minor rumors about KOF at some point, or am I remembering MMCafe commenting or something?

www.secret-arts.com

Madgear
6th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):!!!" , posted Fri 28 Dec 02:35post reply

quote:

While I'm certain that all the new MS games on the iPhone will look amazing all I want from SNKP now is a giant, Mass Effect-style game built around the Sky Love Top Hunter franchise. Come on SNKP, I know you can do it!

I'm sure this is what you really meant, right?

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that I'd love to see a completely new Metal Slug in HD rather than a remade HD version, even if any new game can't possibly surpass MS3 ever in any way at all.

Weren't there also some minor rumors about KOF at some point, or am I remembering MMCafe commenting or something?

Imagine: Metal Slug, with its classic animation quality and appeal, but in the style of KOF13 animations with 90's era arcade color choices.

AMAZING.

rlateef.com / rlateef.wordpress.com

Nobinobita
1114th Post

"Re(4):!!!" , posted Fri 28 Dec 02:48post reply

quote:

Imagine: Metal Slug, with its classic animation quality and appeal, but in the style of KOF13 animations with 90's era arcade color choices.

AMAZING.

TT____TT

It's so ... beautiful.

www.art-eater.com

karasu99
1047th Post

"Re(5):!!!" , posted Fri 28 Dec 04:07post reply

quote:

AMAZING.

TT____TT

It's so ... beautiful.

You guys! Throw in the old announcer and it would be perfect!

www.secret-arts.com

Evil_Yagami
52th Post

Occasional Customer

"The new Metal Slug is ..." , posted Fri 28 Dec 18:21post reply

Oh God, the new Metal Slug is Pachislot game, Metal Slug 3, I am disappointed !

Source : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvo4JxVs21Y&list=UUfcyhau0xNv48TynjC7BQ1w&index=1

Source : http://pachinkopachisro.com/archives/21673943.html

mbisonhatclub
539th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):The new Metal Slug is ..." , posted Sat 29 Dec 03:33post reply

quote:
Oh God, the new Metal Slug is Pachislot game,

*fake surprise*

Nobinobita
1115th Post

"Re(2):The new Metal Slug is ..." , posted Sat 29 Dec 07:14post reply

quote:
*fake surprise*

It's like making a wish on a monkey's paw.

www.art-eater.com

kofoguz
1017th Post

"Re(3):The new Metal Slug is ..." , posted Sat 29 Dec 07:46post reply

quote:
*fake surprise*

It's like making a wish on a monkey's paw.

OK, call me deadly optimistic but I think this wont be the only metal slug we will see in 2013. And it is absurd to think just because Pachislot lover president just left they will cancel every pachislot project they were working on. And I'm guessing there were multiple projects.

I'm hoping , along with the fighting game they're working on and a new Metal Slug ( a great charge possibly wont end with just one project), new president starts new game projects (existing IP's or not). Patience.

Badoor
290th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: PSVITA:BadoorUSA

Copper Customer

"Re(4):The new Metal Slug is ..." , posted Sat 29 Dec 09:29post reply

I seriously hope that that's not the new Metal Slug they meant. And that this is part of a cross-industry Metal Slug promotional campaign. But really I'm just setting up myself for more disappointment.

Well, I know SNK's internal game development right now can only work on one HD project at a time. and with KOF being their bigger franchise, they seem eternally stuck to doing more & more KOFs.

But I wonder, how viable is it for SNK to outsource the development of a new HD Metal Slug to another developer? Could be Japanese, like M2, or could be western, for an XBLA/PSN release.

It'll probably be 2.5D but if it looks good I won't mind much. I feel the Metal Slug IP has a decent following worldwide. And, maybe besides Contra, is considered the most popular "2D run & gun" series (Gunstar Heroes is popular but it was only 2 games, & Treasure seems focused on updating its old games, though they haven't said anything ever since Guardian Heroes on XBLA last year).

Professor
3637th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):The new Metal Slug is ..." , posted Sat 29 Dec 20:33:post reply

quote:
*fake surprise*

The Gematsu article doesn't go into details, but the one-line comments from each of the publishers are from their new-year greeting cards. Reportedly in the case of SNKPlaymore it was the phrase "2013 will mark a great charge for Metal Slug" , together with a logo of Metal Slug 3.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 29 Dec 20:39]

Evil_Yagami
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):The new Metal Slug is ..." , posted Sat 29 Dec 20:46post reply

quote:
*fake surprise*

The Gematsu article doesn't go into details, but the one-line comments from each of the publishers are from their new-year greeting cards. Reportedly in the case of SNKPlaymore it was the phrase "2013 will mark a great charge for Metal Slug" , together with a logo of Metal Slug 3.

It could be an HD remix version of Metal Slug 3 !

Freeter
4570th Post

"And now, a random fact about Samurai Shodown" , posted Tue 1 Jan 04:22post reply

If only Capcom could troll this good

mbisonhatclub
540th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):The new Metal Slug is ..." , posted Tue 1 Jan 06:22post reply

quote:
Well, I know SNK's internal game development right now can only work on one HD project at a time. and with KOF being their bigger franchise, they seem eternally stuck to doing more & more KOFs.
But there's not even any evidence they're actually working on it still.

Ishmael
4517th Post

"Re(1):And now, a random fact about Samurai Sh" , posted Thu 3 Jan 04:35post reply

quote:

Considering all the other rapid button pushing in the game I'm surprised they decided to fake their way through the sword clashes. Did they run out of time? Did they think that people wanted to bang on buttons all the time? Did they love that finger pressing animation so much that they needed to include it in as many games as possible?

karasu99
1050th Post

"Re(2):And now, a random fact about Samurai Sh" , posted Thu 3 Jan 06:17post reply

quote:
Considering all the other rapid button pushing in the game I'm surprised they decided to fake their way through the sword clashes. Did they run out of time? Did they think that people wanted to bang on buttons all the time? Did they love that finger pressing animation so much that they needed to include it in as many games as possible?

My guess is that they either forgot to go back and implement it or it got cut due to time constraints as the game was being sent to release. It would be interesting to know what the actual story is from one of the developers though.

Did any of the console versions include that feature? I'd be curious to know if they actually included real code rather than a random picker.

www.secret-arts.com

Professor
3641th Post

MMCafe Owner

"KOF Tournament w/ SNKP & Enterbrain, Jan 14" , posted Sat 5 Jan 02:57:post reply

Looks like the new year will be starting out with a bang for the KOF tournament scene in Japan, or at least what's left of it. Here's a lowdown from Dune of KCE.

SNKPlaymore and Famitsu's Enterbrain are officially cooperating with one of the first KOF13 tournaments of this year to be held in Japan. This Special Tournament will be held on Jan 14 at a venue in Nishinippori Versus. The registration details & page will be opened in 1-2 days so we'll probably get more details soon.

Rules for the tournament will be the same as another big KOF tournament, 'KCE Cup 5', which will be held on the previous day. Two teams from that tournament will be given seeding at this Special Tournament. (Rules: 2-on-2 team match, same characters can't be used, Alt characters are considered separate.)

This Special Tournament is said to feature some 'new ideas' to make it additionally entertaining. As usual it'll be streamed live on Nico. According to Dune, this Special Tournament will be "a step into a new direction of things". (By that, I assume SNKP is becoming more friendly towards the competitive scene that they seemed to care pretty much crap about.)

Coincedently, EVO champion MadKOF and his teammates are slated to hit Japan around the same date, so things should be pretty interesting.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 5 Jan 03:58]

Loona
668th Post

"Re(1):KOF Tournament w/ SNKP & Enterbrain, Ja" , posted Wed 9 Jan 20:50post reply

KoF XIII made it to EVO

People can vote with their money for an 8th game - I'm so split between CvS2 (for extra SNK, but on the other hand it would degenerate into Capcom characters in Capcom grooves abusing roll cancel) and DoA5...
Then again, everything's competing with fandoms like MLPs and Smash's, and corporate money for the bigger titles, since Mr Wizard said they wouldn't bother chaking where money's coming from...

Ishmael
4521th Post

"Re(2):KOF Tournament w/ SNKP & Enterbrain, Ja" , posted Wed 9 Jan 23:13post reply

Maybe it's just me, but for a three day event eight games seems like a lot. True, some of these games will have such a small turnout that they could fit everyone into a hotel room but that's still a lot of scheduling variables for a 72 hour period. Oh well, I guess watching the whole thing sink or swim on stream will be part of the fun.

The decision to make the eighth game a popularity contest is a great idea. It makes money for charity and it gives people something to talk about and fiddle with in the time before EVO starts. This also has the chance of being a huge disaster but, again, that's part of the fun.

Professor
3642th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):KOF Tournament w/ SNKP & Enterbrain, Ja" , posted Wed 9 Jan 23:42post reply

Yeah 8 games does seem like a lot. Still nevertheless, congrats to each of the titles that got selected for Evo 2013! I wonder what the schedule is going to be like for this time.

It's going to be scary to see how many participants there will be for KOF this year, assuming a huge population from last summer were probably just there for the t-shirt.

And I have to say this of course, drats that Skullgirls didn't make it! It's been on hiatus but it still has great animation.

Maou
2396th Post

"Re(3):KOF Tournament w/ SNKP & Enterbrain, Ja" , posted Wed 9 Jan 23:52post reply

quote:
The decision to make the eighth game a popularity contest is a great idea.
Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game for entry #8!!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

karasu99
1056th Post

"Re(4):KOF Tournament w/ SNKP & Enterbrain, Ja" , posted Thu 10 Jan 03:50post reply

quote:
The decision to make the eighth game a popularity contest is a great idea. Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game for entry #8!!

No! Time Killers!!

www.secret-arts.com

Professor
3645th Post

MMCafe Owner

"KOF Tournament w/ SNKP & EVOchamp details&URL" , posted Fri 11 Jan 15:32:post reply

Quick update on the previously mentioned tournament so whatever sites that need this info can pick up on it.

Japan's first major KOF XIII tournament for 2013 "V-1 FINAL" is taking place this weekend with Official support from SNKPlaymore and peripheral maker Qanba. There's going to be a grueling tournament for seeding on the day before as well. The details are finally solid. Here's the lowdown.

- This is the first tournament for KOF13 in Japan that's receiving official support by SNKPlaymore. Qanba is also a supporter as well. (Not sure about Enterbrain, not listed in official site)

- This tournament in conjunction with the KCECup5 seeding tournament taking place the day before makes for the biggest KOFXIII event in Japan yet. Two days of pure KOF.

-EVO Champ MadKOF and Lacid are confirmed as guest players. There will also be a KOREA vs JAPAN 5-on-5 Exhibition featuring them and the top Cafeid players (reportedly Verna, Gutts, Kenssouzang). If things go according to plan, that means there's going to be four EVO finalists at this event. (MadKOF[1st], Verna[3nd], Gutts[4th], Lacid[5th tied w/Romance])

- Rules for both days: 2-on-2 team match, same characters can't be used by teammates, Alt characters are considered separate.

- The event is professionally written and organized to make KOF understandable to even the general audience. It's an official NicoNico broadcast to be shot using professional equipment. Dune and Shoki will be commentating. Both days are free for viewing of course (requires login. Make an account).

Stream URL for KCECup5:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/gate/lv122023437 Preliminaries
http://live.nicovideo.jp/gate/lv122023787 Top 8 Finals
Preliminaries Starts at 3PM JST on Jan 13 which is around Jan 12(Sat) 10PM pacific in the States.
Top 8 Finals Starts at 5PM JST on Jan 13 which is around Jan 12(Sat) 12 Midnight pacific in the States.
It'll be KOF13 right off the bat. Chances are we'll probably see more players than the officially supported tournament.
Click on the left door when it's time for the event.

This seeding tournament will run in two parts: the preliminaries, then the finals. 6 of the top 8 teams for the finals have already been decided from previous events last year. Only two of these teams will win seeding for the next day.
Team 1: Kyabetsu(Evo 9th place winner), Koukou
Team 2: Rinomoto, Picnic
Team 3: Ogosho(Two-time SBO champion), Dune
Team 4: Haregoro, Hisa
Team 5: Tenkawa, Myu
Team 6: Nagihey, Gaku
Team 7&8: TBD from preliminaries

Stream URL for V-1 Final
Officially supported by SNKPlaymore and Qanba:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv121882948
Starts at noon JST on Jan 14 which is around Jan 13(Sun) 7PM pacific in the States.
The first hours will be an 02UM tournament, then the XIII tourney. (schedule subject to change)

The Korea vs Japan 5on5 will be at the very end of the event.
This event is slated to run for a total of 10 whopping hours.
Click on the left door when it's time for the event.
Official site here for anyone that wants to grab the logo.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 12 Jan 16:20]

Loona
669th Post

"Re(1):KOF Tournament w/ SNKP & EVOchamp detai" , posted Fri 11 Jan 21:00post reply

Nice, thanks for the info.

Do those streams require a login?

Professor
3644th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):KOF Tournament w/ SNKP & EVOchamp detai" , posted Fri 11 Jan 21:05post reply

quote:
Nice, thanks for the info.

Do those streams require a login?

Yeah. Nico should automatically display in English for most people nowadays though, so I don't think it should be a problem to sign up for an account!

Evil_Yagami
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"JAEPO Expo 2013, no SNK !" , posted Sun 13 Jan 19:56post reply

AOU and JAMMA exhibitions are merged together to JAEPO Expo 2013 , this event will be held in February, according to the official website of this exhibition, SNK isn't on the exhibitors list, but Taito is ! so what do you think? is there any chance to see a new game from SNK?

Source : http://www.jaepo.jp/company.html

Professor
3646th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):JAEPO Expo 2013, no SNK !" , posted Mon 14 Jan 00:10:post reply

quote:
AOU and JAMMA SNK isn't on the exhibitors list, but Taito is ! so what do you think? Source : http://www.jaepo.jp/company.html

They're too poor to have their own booth so who knows. If they have something to show at someone's booth, count on them to try and make a big deal about it beforehand.

Quick wrapup of today's seeding tournament

19 teams(37 players) entered, including 3 teams from Korea. Two of them passed through the prelims but got knocked out in their first match of the top 8. (MadKOF lost against an Athena). There were also players from France, Taiwan, and West Japan including Uuu.

Winning teams were 1st place: Team Picnic (Picnic, Rinomoto) / 2nd place: Team Myu (Myu, Tenkawa)
The players for tomorrow's Korea vs Japan were also announced:

Team Korea: MadKOF, Verna, Gutts, Lacid, Kenssouzang
Team Japan: Shoki, Dune, Ogosho, Rinomoto, Koukou

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 14 Jan 00:22]

Evil_Yagami
55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):JAEPO Expo 2013, no SNK !" , posted Mon 14 Jan 00:24post reply

quote:
AOU and JAMMA SNK isn't on the exhibitors list, but Taito is ! so what do you think? Source : http://www.jaepo.jp/company.html
They're too poor to have their own booth so who knows. If they have something to show at someone's booth, count on them to try and make a big deal about it beforehand.

You are right, if they plan to show something, I believe they will join Taito booth as they did in AOU 2008 !

Off-topic : Akihiko Ureshino mentioned in 2006 and 2007 about a character "Joe Kwan" designed specially for MOW2, but for some reason, the old SNK dropped him from the roster ! (According to google translation)

This is another proof that SNK was working on MOW2 !

Source : http://blog.ureshino.cn/?eid=51308

Source : http://blog.ureshino.cn/?eid=20742

Fersis
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):JAEPO Expo 2013, no SNK !" , posted Mon 14 Jan 02:37:post reply

quote:

As silly it may sound i got into troubles for posting that. #RIP Fersis
quote:

Off-topic : Akihiko Ureshino mentioned in 2006 and 2007 about a character "Joe Kwan" designed specially for MOW2, but for some reason, the old SNK dropped him from the roster ! (According to google translation)

This is another proof that SNK was working on MOW2 !

Source : http://blog.ureshino.cn/?eid=51308

Source : http://blog.ureshino.cn/?eid=20742

Theres a rumor (Even a legend!) that says that someone has a playable dev build of Garou 2.

BTW did the new SNKP president ever announced something?

[this message was edited by Fersis on Mon 14 Jan 02:52]

Evil_Yagami
56th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):JAEPO Expo 2013, no SNK !" , posted Mon 14 Jan 02:48post reply

quote:

Nothing !

Let's hope for good news soon !

kofoguz
1019th Post

"Re(5):JAEPO Expo 2013, no SNK !" , posted Mon 14 Jan 02:52post reply

quote:

Nothing !

Let's hope for good news soon !

I have a feeling theyre gonna announce Climax for consoles. As for a arcade announcement, like everybody else guess and hopes Garou 2 or NGBC 2. I also wonder what will Capcom announce there. Fighters of Capcom thing, is there anything on that yet?

Evil_Yagami
57th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):JAEPO Expo 2013, no SNK !" , posted Mon 14 Jan 02:58post reply

quote:

I have a feeling theyre gonna announce Climax for consoles. As for a arcade announcement, like everybody else guess and hopes Garou 2 or NGBC 2. I also wonder what will Capcom announce there. Fighters of Capcom thing, is there anything on that yet?

As I know the Climax version is the same of the Console version, so you maybe mean an updated version of Climax with new characters, stages, etc ...

kofoguz
1020th Post

"Re(7):JAEPO Expo 2013, no SNK !" , posted Mon 14 Jan 04:22post reply

quote:

As I know the Climax version is the same of the Console version, so you maybe mean an updated version of Climax with new characters, stages, etc ...

Exactly. Now we know (by the rumor) they were working on more characters. Climax was arcade port of the console and had a suspicious name. I believe story mode got shortened because of unfinished characters so they might want to ride the success once more before moving on from the true Climax...

Evil_Yagami
58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):JAEPO Expo 2013, no SNK !" , posted Mon 14 Jan 05:54post reply

quote:

Exactly. Now we know (by the rumor) they were working on more characters. Climax was arcade port of the console and had a suspicious name. I believe story mode got shortened because of unfinished characters so they might want to ride the success once more before moving on from the true Climax...

You are right, many characters appeared in the the story mode of the console, like Ramon, Vanessa, Duck King, etc ... so maybe they are planning to include them in a new version, let's hope to hear some news from them !

Toxico
5751th Post

"V-1 final streaming already." , posted Mon 14 Jan 12:06:post reply

Just started. Shoki is soo different from how I pictured him. It looks like the stream doesn't have a limit for free users like yesterday (I got kicked once, har har).

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Mon 14 Jan 12:08]

GekigangerV
1806th Post

"Re(1):V-1 final streaming already." , posted Mon 14 Jan 13:05:post reply

Some pretty hype 2002 UM matches going on.
21K is pretty damn impressive for stream numbers, or is that standard fare for Nico streams?

Apex happened this weekend and I think Marvel topped off around 9K and Smash Finals are around 12K.

*edit*

I guess Nico doesn't show concurrent viewers and that numbers in the number of unique views overall.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Mon 14 Jan 13:30]

Professor
3647th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):V-1 final streaming already." , posted Mon 14 Jan 21:29:post reply

There was like 110K viewers counting re-entrance, not bad for a KOF game.
3rd Strike tournament had about 150K, so it's still losing out to even a classic though.

Results:

2on2:
1st: West-Japan team(Fujishima, Sange Tenchou)
2nd: East-Japan team(Rinomoto, Picnic)
MadKOF teamed with Gutts, Lacid teamed with Verna. They both did very strong but lost in semifinals

5on5:
Korea Won 5-4
Korea Team [Kenssouzang, Lacid, Gutts, Verna, MadKOF]
Japan Team [Rinomoto, Ogosho, Koukou, Dune, Shoki ]

Rinomoto beat 3 players, Ogosho beat 1, then MadKOF went on a roll, beating practically everyone in Japan's side

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 14 Jan 21:55]

kofoguz
1021th Post

"Re(3):V-1 final streaming already." , posted Tue 15 Jan 00:12post reply

quote:
3rd Strike tournament had about 150K, so it's still losing out to even a classic though.

Results:

2on2:
1st: West-Japan team(Fujishima, Sange Tenchou)
2nd: East-Japan team(Rinomoto, Picnic)
MadKOF teamed with Gutts, Lacid teamed with Verna. They both did very strong but lost in semifinals

5on5:
Korea Won 5-4
Korea Team [Kenssouzang, Lacid, Gutts, Verna, MadKOF]
Japan Team [Rinomoto, Ogosho, Koukou, Dune, Shoki ]

Rinomoto beat 3 players, Ogosho beat 1, then MadKOF went on a roll, beating practically everyone in Japan's side

I missed it because it crossed with an exam of all days. :( How was he tournament. Can we watch it later?

Toxico
5751th Post

"Re(3):V-1 final streaming already." , posted Tue 15 Jan 04:27post reply

quote:

I noticed that the stream was the second ranked in the day, behind a 12 chapters marathon of Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (which still has SNK references, so maybe we can forgive?).

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Professor
3648th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Metal Slug 3 Pachislot looks Moe" , posted Thu 17 Jan 21:35post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKR2WvbPnF4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW-ce2rqWTo

I guess that's the backpack girl?
Ironically it actually looks way more interestining than the KOF pachislots. Mars People!

Evil_Yagami
60th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Metal Slug 3 Pachislot looks Moe" , posted Thu 17 Jan 22:06:post reply

quote:

Ironically it actually looks way more interestining than the KOF pachislots. Mars People!

It looks nice, also there is a remix of the OST, maybe Toshikazu Tanka is involved with this game, similar to his style !

BTW any news related to SNK and JAEP0 2013, BTW I read that Sega is working on a new Arcade machine, so powerful, and there is a chance to see Virtua Fighter 6 in this show !

[this message was edited by Evil_Yagami on Thu 17 Jan 22:07]

Evil_Yagami
60th Post

Occasional Customer

"KOF XIII - Gold Edition (All DLC) on EU PSN" , posted Thu 17 Jan 22:09post reply

Rising Star Games is going to release The King of Fighters XIII on the European PlayStation Store, but this time in a special edition that includes all the DLC from the game ! stay tuned for more information.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/16/eu-ps-store-and-plus-update-january-16-dmc-devil-may-cry-january-sale-retro-city-rampage/

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/cid=EP4034-NPEJ00098_00-B000000000000253

Ishmael
4526th Post

"Re(1):Metal Slug 3 Pachislot looks Moe" , posted Fri 18 Jan 00:31post reply

quote:

Did that trailer explode for three solid minutes? Talk about breathless excitement.

TheRedKnight
362th Post

PSN: yes
XBL: no
Wii: no

Silver Customer

"Re(1):KOF XIII - Gold Edition (All DLC) on EU" , posted Fri 18 Jan 16:11post reply

quote:
Rising Star Games is going to release The King of Fighters XIII on the European PlayStation Store, but this time in a special edition that includes all the DLC from the game !

Release that on disc and I will finally get the game..

Waw!? And now what's going on!? Toh Shin Den is about to present to you a super hot virtual battle like one that you've never seen before at a rate of 90000 polygons per second!

Pollyanna
3372th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(2):Metal Slug 3 Pachislot looks Moe" , posted Fri 18 Jan 20:31post reply

quote:

BTW any news related to SNK and JAEP0 2013, BTW I read that Sega is working on a new Arcade machine, so powerful, and there is a chance to see Virtua Fighter 6 in this show !

Since we have new consoles coming this year, it would match their previous release pattern. I'd bet on it. Not a lot of money...but I'd bet on it.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Evil_Yagami
61th Post

Occasional Customer

"SNK recurit page on Facebook !?" , posted Sun 20 Jan 01:52post reply

This is the first time I know that SNK has official page on facebook for recruiting employees !?

https://www.facebook.com/snksaiyou

mbisonhatclub
541th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):SNK recurit page on Facebook !?" , posted Sun 20 Jan 17:14post reply

quote:
This is the first time I know that SNK has official page on facebook for recruiting employees !?

https://www.facebook.com/snksaiyou

Oh man, I'd so love to work for them...even despite the conditions. But, I still have til fall of 2014 to finish school.

Ishmael
4530th Post

"Re(2):SNK recurit page on Facebook !?" , posted Wed 23 Jan 23:25post reply

The Neo Geo X Gold is calling it a day. Does this mean that there is going to be another version of the console, such as NGX:Zirconium Edition? Or did the makers of the NGX understand that there is a very limited market for this sort of thing?

Evil_Yagami
63th Post

Occasional Customer

"New KOF XIII Climax Tournament + ???" , posted Thu 31 Jan 02:27:post reply

New KOF XIII Climax Tournament sponsored by SNK PLAYMORE :

http://arcadiamagazine.com/kof-ichiki/

During my search for some info about KOF 14, I found on a blog some people are talking about it, the game will come out next year, because it will be 20th Anniversary of the game, also the project will contain Sega/Sammy logo, maybe SNK decided to use Sega's new Arcade System RINGEDGE 2 ! (As I understood from Google Translator )

Source : http://imasaragame.blog74.fc2.com/blog-entry-2846.html

[this message was edited by Evil_Yagami on Sat 2 Feb 19:38]

mbisonhatclub
542th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):New KOF XIII Climax Tournament + ???" , posted Sat 2 Feb 23:56post reply

quote:
During my search for some info about KOF 14, I found on a blog some people are talking about it, the game will come out next year, because it will be 20th Anniversary of the game, also the project will contain Sega/Sammy logo, maybe SNK decided to use Sega's new Arcade System RINGEDGE 2 ! (As I understood from Google Translator )

Just...before you ... oh nevermind.

Iggy
9424th Post

"Re(1):New KOF XIII Climax Tournament + ???" , posted Sun 3 Feb 01:38post reply

quote:

It's a 2ch thread. Nobody in the thread believe there will be a KOF 14, none of them seem to even like KOF 12&13, and they are just joking about what would be the next one.
Let's calm down.

Evil_Yagami
63th Post

Occasional Customer

"KOF XIII + 98 UM + 02 UM on PC ?!" , posted Mon 4 Feb 05:03post reply

From PureYeti of Cyberfanatix :

KOF 02 UM, KOF 98 UM, KOF XIII and Ikari Warriors got leak to the steam database. I have no clue if these stuff came out true so any steam users can confirm this? I know some of the list are getting a PC release.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511484
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47248418&postcount=1
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47249048&postcount=94

Source : http://cyberfanatix.com/forums/index.php/topic,583.msg60091.html#msg60091

Burning ranger
1725th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):KOF XIII + 98 UM + 02 UM on PC ?!" , posted Mon 4 Feb 07:21post reply

quote:

KOF 02 UM, KOF 98 UM, KOF XIII and Ikari Warriors got leak to the steam database. I have no clue if these stuff came out true so any steam users can confirm this? I know some of the list are getting a PC release.

Source : http://cyberfanatix.com/forums/index.php/topic,583.msg60091.html#msg60091

Fascinating... If Valve ever gets their own console off the ground, and assuming it will have a built-in library, then the fighting game community could have an alternative to PS3/Xbox. Of course, this assumes a lot...

So much to do so little time...

Baines
341th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):KOF XIII + 98 UM + 02 UM on PC ?!" , posted Mon 4 Feb 07:37post reply

quote:

The site that they are using has a disclaimer that you can't actually trust that a game being listed means it is coming out.

"there are lots of errors in the Steam Database, some bigger than others, and this might just be one of them. Is it a placeholder and is Halo 3 actually on it's way to Steam? Or is it just another Steam Hub page that one of the publishers made for name-reserveration's sake? Or did some completely different developer need a cover to put a test version of his/her game under? Who knows?!"

Professor
3652th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):KOF XIII + 98 UM + 02 UM on PC ?!" , posted Mon 4 Feb 19:16:post reply

A couple of roundups on recent events-

1. The NeoGeo X handheld is *not* getting axed. Its blunderful Japanese distributors released a statement saying productions were being halted, but it's only for the Japanese market. The handheld is still continuing production for all other regions.

2. People are scratching their heads over Enterbrain's "Ichigeki" tournament. The tournament is capped at 32 players and the players easily surpassed that on day 1 of signup. Meaning, people will be randomly drawn unless the organizers decide to change the proceedings. What's even more odd, the event is slated for a whopping 6 hours. Do they plan on running the tournament with only one cabinet?

3. If it actually does come out on Steam, people will go on a Mod-fest.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 4 Feb 19:56]

Spoon
2386th Post

"Re(3):KOF XIII + 98 UM + 02 UM on PC ?!" , posted Tue 5 Feb 02:32post reply

quote:

KOF'02 UM: Ultimate Mugen

Rainbow Edition or bust

Professor
3653th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Art Of Fighting making a comeback" , posted Wed 6 Feb 17:27:post reply

Art Of Fighting is making a comeback, albeit in the form of Pachislot. It's better than nothing considering that there hasn't been any content released for the franchise in easily over a decade. No date or details yet but given the product just passed through inspections and approval of the Pachislot comittee, we'll probably be hearing things soon.

Am I the only person who actually likes this series? It's awesome.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 6 Feb 17:29]

Toxico
5754th Post

"Re(1):Art Of Fighting making a comeback" , posted Wed 6 Feb 18:23post reply

quote:

Oh, I hate you and your "misleading thread title even though I knew better from the get go" name. Also, IT IS awesome, harhar. I can't count with my hands how many times someone over here compared the AoF plot-line with a bad City Hunter episode (and that was awesome, hahaha).

etc : a Kyo Kusanagi themed combo video here - Nico , pretty wild and TAS stuff.

Kizuna Enconuter TAS here

Crossed Swords 2 footage. Simply here hoping to make chaz's day worse.

samusupi sen battles. It creeps me out just to type that. Speaking of, a End year Musouken tournament. Yes, I'm not kidding you (the event also included a Zero Special Tournament.

A semi un-official but not really Japan vs China event in KoF 95 here, like everything else, video descriptions contains the links to the rest.

Garou Densetsu Special at Nagoya Loop

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Loona
678th Post

"Re(1):Art Of Fighting making a comeback" , posted Wed 6 Feb 19:24post reply

quote:

How can one possibly dislike a series that gave so much to its genre, provided the backbone to the South Town games and gave us Mr Karate?

I wonder if after that Fatal Fury pachislot they'll also make smoe really pretty 3D models of the characters we're not likely to see in actual games anytime soon?...
Regardless, I expect Mr Big to show up a lot, it just seems natural.

Iggy
9430th Post

"Re(4):KOF XIII + 98 UM + 02 UM on PC ?!" , posted Thu 7 Feb 00:42post reply

quote:
Rainbow Edition or bust

Isn't that already what KOF 02 UM is?

Ishmael
4539th Post

"Re(5):KOF XIII + 98 UM + 02 UM on PC ?!" , posted Thu 7 Feb 01:18post reply

AoF is sort of coming back? Can a Magician Lord pachislot be far behind?

quote:
Rainbow Edition or bust

Isn't that already what KOF 02 UM is?

KoF Neowave is finally going to make a comeback

via pachislot.

End of Spoiler

Evil_Yagami
64th Post

Occasional Customer

"KOF vs Garou ~ New Card Game ~ from SNKP !" , posted Wed 13 Feb 20:13post reply

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-garou/

Loona
679th Post

"Re(1):KOF vs Garou ~ New Card Game ~ from SNK" , posted Wed 13 Feb 22:18post reply

quote:

The mention of iPhone and Android versions makes me a bit optimistic about localization possibilities - I hope I'm not terribly wrong.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for that Metal Slug Wars game to reach this part of Europe - it seems a bit odd to have it released 1st in Oceania, Canada and Ireland...

Pollyanna
3386th Post

"Re(1):KOF vs Garou ~ New Card Game ~ from SNK" , posted Thu 14 Feb 07:58post reply

quote:

Now we can finally see Terry vs Kyo! I've been waiting years for this! Since '94 it seems!

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Freeter
4571th Post

"Re(2):KOF vs Garou ~ New Card Game ~ from SNK" , posted Thu 14 Feb 08:09post reply

quote:

Now we can finally see Terry vs Kyo! I've been waiting years for this! Since '94 it seems!

They'd better pimp out Jubei for this. The senbei-eatin' skirtchaser is long overdue for a comeback.

Gojira
2908th Post

"Re(2):KOF vs Garou ~ New Card Game ~ from SNK" , posted Thu 14 Feb 09:35post reply

quote:

I'm finding it odd that they can't just consider Garou to be encapsulated by the KoF brand in the first place. Does that mean by "KoF" they're only considering the KoF characters that weren't carried over from other games...? Or are they just using the formula that this KoF = Kof - Garou ?

Pollyanna
3388th Post

"Re(3):KOF vs Garou ~ New Card Game ~ from SNK" , posted Thu 14 Feb 10:33post reply

quote:

I'm finding it odd that they can't just consider Garou to be encapsulated by the KoF brand in the first place. Does that mean by "KoF" they're only considering the KoF characters that weren't carried over from other games...? Or are they just using the formula that this KoF = Kof - Garou ?

Sadly, there are AOF characters there, so my joke of "then they can add AOF characters and call it King of Fighters!" is shot.

So the amusing thing, then, is that AOF is KOF, but Garou is not?

I think the point is, they've still released Garou branded pachislot stuff recently, so just calling it "KOF" would reduce "brand awareness."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9434th Post

"Re(4):KOF vs Garou ~ New Card Game ~ from SNK" , posted Thu 14 Feb 20:27post reply

quote:
So the amusing thing, then, is that AOF is KOF, but Garou is not?

Maybe it's the opposite : AoF is Garou (which makes sense, in a way). That would reduce even more the chances of any character not already featured in another crossover to appear.
Not that anyone should care for another shovelware P2W thing.

Toxico
5757th Post

"Re(5):KOF vs Garou ~ New Card Game ~ from SNK" , posted Fri 15 Feb 01:47post reply

quote:

Maybe it's the opposite : AoF is Garou (which makes sense, in a way).

Naturally, that way it would be like "South Town vs KoF" or something.

BTW, KoF XIII related DLC is on sale over at PSN. That includes digital release, characters, game unlockables and who knows what else.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Evil_Yagami
66th Post

Occasional Customer

"Videos for Metal Slug Wars & AOF B (Pachi)" , posted Fri 15 Feb 07:51:post reply

32 mins of Metal Slug Wars :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m32TuL0SKI

First video of Art of Fighting B :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MrkJpWMl860

[this message was edited by Evil_Yagami on Fri 15 Feb 16:45]

Professor
3656th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Videos for Metal Slug Wars & AOF B (Pac" , posted Fri 15 Feb 19:51post reply

quote:

Interesting, thanks for the heads up! Everyone has different voices from their game version which makes me wonder if they'll be switching for any future products using the characters henceforward, similarly to how they did with Mai.

Young Geese sounds like Rikiya Koyama (guy who'll be doing Kira in Jojo All-Stars). Really wonder who's behind each of the characters.

Evil_Yagami
66th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Videos for Metal Slug Wars & AOF B (Pac" , posted Fri 15 Feb 20:25post reply

@ Professor, welcome :)

On the other side, SNKP skipped JAEPO EXPO this year, most of other companies showed up their line-up, but no games from SNKP !

Source : http://www.4gamer.net/games/202/G020203/20130214085/

Loona
681th Post

"Re(1):Videos for Metal Slug Wars & AOF B (Pac" , posted Fri 15 Feb 22:56post reply

quote:

That is one serious Hokuto no Ken vibe - and ponctuated with Geese's music while at it...

Gojira
2909th Post

"Re(2):Videos for Metal Slug Wars & AOF B (Pac" , posted Sat 16 Feb 08:56post reply

Wow, that pachislot vid gave me an unexpected laugh. SNKP really went all-out on the HnK style, with the Geese music and the absurdly repeating voice clips of primal manliness.

Evil_Yagami
68th Post

Occasional Customer

"[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Future ~" , posted Tue 19 Feb 02:38:post reply

Three days of heaving searching about the future gaming of SNK PLAYMORE, many resources are claiming that the games section of the company is completely shut off, it is up to you to believe this rumors !

1- 29 - JAN - 2011 ---> KOF 14 is hopeless : http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/brianz2005/61538297.html ~ JP ~

2- 01 - DEC - 2011 ---> Problems with production line : http://blog.livedoor.jp/naname_neko/archives/1101218.html ~ JP ~

3- 27 - MAY - 2012 ---> Some of SNK's developers left the company & the games section is completely turned off : http://2chnull.info/r/ghard/1338050087/
http://blog.livedoor.jp/gamesukinews/archives/7661257.html
http://hiwihhi.com/galhound/status/206365775458607105 ~ JP ~

quote:
http://twitter.com/GALHOUND/status/206365775458607105 ~ Link Removed ~
龍弦 助六
@GALHOUND
SNKプレイモアがゲーム事業から完全撤退。
開発スタッフ達も全員退職してしまったとのこと。
15年間築き上げてきたKOFシリーズも終わってしまったか……。
カプコンあたりが版権買ってくれないかなぁ。
うもらせるには勿体ないよ。

Translation :

http://twitter.com/GALHOUND/status/206365775458607105
Sukeroku chord dragon
@ GALHOUND
SNK Playmore is complete withdrawal from the business game.
And that I have retired all of our development staff as well.
Did you also ended up KOF series has been built for 15 years .......
I wonder if Capcom per copyright not buy me.
It is wasteful to make mole window.

4- 7 - JUN - 2012 ---> The President of SNK turned off the games section & start focusing on Pachislots ! will be there KOF 14 !!! : http://kofpspgame.blogspot.com/2012/06/kof14.html ~ JP ~

As I understood from Google translator

[this message was edited by Evil_Yagami on Tue 19 Feb 04:23]

sibarraz
478th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Future ~" , posted Tue 19 Feb 07:17post reply

When was posted that tweet? I think that maybe that changed since the old president ho only wanted to focus in pachink is alredy gone

mbisonhatclub
544th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Future ~" , posted Tue 19 Feb 08:54post reply

quote:
When was posted that tweet? I think that maybe that changed since the old president ho only wanted to focus in pachink is alredy gone

This is why I don't care for rumor garbage, it does nothing but lead to baseless speculation

Anyway, yeah, Mizufune is gone, THANKFULLY. He's a person who doesn't belong in the industry at all. He belongs in some marketing division because he's only a businessman, and I bet he's secretly tied to modern shitty Yakuza, too. Fuck him.

I still haven't gotten over his lame existence

Iggy
9440th Post

"Re(3):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Future ~" , posted Tue 19 Feb 20:12post reply

quote:
He belongs in some marketing division because he's only a businessman, and I bet he's secretly tied to modern shitty Yakuza, too. Fuck him.

How can you work at SNKP and be *secretly* tied to yakuzas?

Professor
3661th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Future ~" , posted Tue 19 Feb 22:32:post reply

quote:
He belongs in some marketing division because he's only a businessman, and I bet he's secretly tied to modern shitty Yakuza, too. Fuck him.
How can you work at SNKP and be *secretly* tied to yakuzas?

You'd be quite surprised how little known that is outside of the JP scene.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 19 Feb 22:54]

Evil_Yagami
68th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Future ~" , posted Tue 19 Feb 23:37post reply

Ryo Mizufune lead the company to a mess with his decisions, the guy has gone now, but the main question is " what is the vision of the new President of SNKP? "

https://www.facebook.com/ryo.mizufune

On the other side, Yoshiyasu Matsushita, one of SNKP's artist seems that he left the company, you can see on his profile on Facebook that he is moved from Osaka to Tokyo, too sad, he was very nice with SNK's fans !

https://www.facebook.com/yoshiyasu.matsushita

the real kap
26th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Future ~" , posted Wed 20 Feb 00:49post reply

Quite a sad state of affairs if the rumors are true. I don't want to believe them outright, but it does add up.

At least they went out with a bang, I guess. :/

Professor
3662th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Future ~" , posted Wed 20 Feb 01:18:post reply

Yeah Matsushita left somewhere late last year. He was the product manager for KOF13, though generally better known as the producer of the Nintendo DS Dokimajo series.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 20 Feb 01:21]

Evil_Yagami
70th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Future ~" , posted Wed 20 Feb 01:26:post reply

Damn, Mizufune ruined everything beautiful, great talents left the company, what a shame, I hope from Mr. Masao Ohata to correct the situation !

Falcoon
Nona
Masaaki Kukino
Yoshiyasu Matsushita

And God knows who else?!

Is this person is the Producer of KOF XIII?!
https://www.facebook.com/keiichi.yamamoto.311

This guy left also !

[this message was edited by Evil_Yagami on Wed 20 Feb 01:32]

Professor
3662th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Future ~" , posted Wed 20 Feb 02:04post reply

quote:

This guy left also !

No. Different guy, similar name.

Burning Ranger
1733th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Videos for Metal Slug Wars & AOF B (Pac" , posted Wed 20 Feb 10:12post reply

quote:
32 mins of Metal Slug Wars :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m32TuL0SKI

What the?!? I think I'm going to a corner and cry now...

So much to do so little time...

Evil_Yagami
70th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Future ~" , posted Thu 21 Feb 01:19post reply

quote:

This guy left also !

No. Different guy, similar name.

Oh, I see, many thanks :)

BTW there is a guy on twitter mentioned that the production of KOF14 has started (1 - SEP - 2012)

Source : https://twitter.com/jazzbass299/statuses/241941303909298177

mbisonhatclub
545th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Future ~" , posted Thu 21 Feb 06:04post reply

quote:
BTW there is a guy on twitter mentioned that the production of KOF14 has started (1 - SEP - 2012)

Source : https://twitter.com/jazzbass299/statuses/241941303909298177

Twitter as a source, and it's not a verified official source, is as credible as Wikipedia being used as a source in a college essay. Don't.

Freeter
4572th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Fut" , posted Thu 21 Feb 07:54post reply

So, given the rather tumultuous state that SNKP is currently in, what would you guys expect out of KOF14? Would you be fine if they recycled a good chunk of the currently existing sprites, or would you prefer an all-new cast if it meant a much smaller roster?

Personally, I'd choose the latter, since it would provide a fresh face for the franchise and get the game out quicker.

Iggy
9442th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Fut" , posted Thu 21 Feb 10:22post reply

quote:
get the game out quicker on smartphones

fixed.

Freeter
4573th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Fut" , posted Thu 21 Feb 11:11post reply

Even better. Already got a tablet, so if they're willing to go that route I'm game.

mbisonhatclub
546th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Fut" , posted Thu 21 Feb 12:25post reply

quote:
get the game out quicker on smartphones
fixed.

With the amount forced data plan bundles cost, no way in hell I'm gonna buy a new phone, much less a smartphone, and that is when I can finally tell SNKP to kiss my ass.

Freeter
4574th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Fut" , posted Thu 21 Feb 13:21post reply

quote:
With the amount forced data plan bundles cost, no way in hell I'm gonna buy a new phone, much less a smartphone, and that is when I can finally tell SNKP to kiss my ass.

You don't even need a data plan or a new phone. Get a tablet, connect via wifi and you're set.

So now, instead of cringing at the thought of KOF going app-only, you can actually acquire it and throw SNKP a much needed bone.

mbisonhatclub
547th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Re(10):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE ~ Dark Fut" , posted Thu 21 Feb 14:03post reply

quote:
You don't even need a data plan or a new phone. Get a tablet, connect via wifi and you're set.

So now, instead of cringing at the thought of KOF going app-only, you can actually acquire it and throw SNKP a much needed bone.

Wait, tablets are touchscreen devices, right?

karasu99
1072th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE X" , posted Fri 22 Feb 11:41post reply

On a lighter note, wow, nearly unexpected!

www.secret-arts.com

Nekros
541th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Re(10):[Rumors] SNK PLAYMORE X" , posted Fri 22 Feb 19:11post reply

quote:
On a lighter note, wow, nearly unexpected!

I'm very pleased about this. MOTW and Blazing Star? Now I have no excuse to not buy a NGX (even if the emulation is not perfect....AT ALL!)

Evil_Yagami
71th Post

Occasional Customer

"[Rumors] Masao Ohata is Reviving the Game Dep" , posted Sat 23 Feb 16:12post reply

From http://basgrospoing.fr

Translation :

quote:
We told you in November that Masao Ohata took over the reins of SNK Playmore after two disastrous years for the video game under the governance of Ryo Mizufune.

Indeed months are several sources ( compiled by a member of MMCafe) had come aggravate an already very pleasing more regarding the video games division of the company. Last departure date: Yoshiyasu Matsushita (series producer Dokimajo but also product manager Kof XIII) in the course of 2012 along with new rumors of ending the division games.

According to our sources asked about this, however, there is reason to hope a return to normal: the division of SNK Playmore games is in poor condition but still exists, and a handful of people working on restart. Some of its members are traveling between Japan and the USA / Europe to promote division and the new boss seems motivated to resume.

If we may wait a little longer before we see the effects of this new policy, the prospect of SNK Playmore back a bit harder game is already a good thing.

Source : http://basgrospoing.fr/2013/02/22/snk-playmore-masao-ohata-motive-pour-relancer-la-division-jeux-video/

Toxico
5760th Post

"KCE bug edition" , posted Thu 28 Feb 02:59:post reply

A very interesting bug that Dune was playing around with which is triggered by the settings practice mode in player match here - Nico , at first it doesn't make sense but when you are shown what happens in both sides in a synchronized screen is that it gets interesting.

edit :

Thread - Over - Ride

Who isn't always up for some GaroSupe?

quote:
How on earth did those kids get a NeoGeo?!

And what show is that i want to watch it now

Use your search engine and use "Sakurasou" in this very same thread, you'll see more pictures and stuff.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 28 Feb 09:11]

Spoon
2393th Post

"Re(1):KCE bug edition" , posted Thu 28 Feb 08:06post reply

How on earth did those kids get a NeoGeo?!

And what show is that i want to watch it now

Evil_Yagami
72th Post

Occasional Customer

"Need translation !" , posted Thu 7 Mar 02:23post reply

Does this article say new KOF announcement? I tried with Google Translation and says New KOF?!

http://kofkoucha.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/kof-xiii-%E5%A4%A7%E9%98%AA%E3%81%A7%E7%B4%85%E7%99%BD%E6%88%A6%E3%82%B7%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA%E9%96%8B%E5%A7%8B%EF%BC%81%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E6%A9%8B%E3%82%BF%E3%82%A4%E3%83%88%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9/

Toxico
5760th Post

"..........." , posted Thu 7 Mar 03:20post reply

Speaking of bugs.... By kytk

quote:
Does this article say new KOF announcement? I tried with Google Translation and says New KOF?!

It's about the 1st Taito Station Tournament, I can't even phantom to imagine how can someone can mistake that for a new game announcement.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

mbisonhatclub
549th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):..........." , posted Thu 7 Mar 03:47post reply

quote:

It's about the 1st Taito Station Tournament, I can't even phantom to imagine how can someone can mistake that for a new game announcement.

...Evil, you need to calm down with the reading too much into things (wrongly)

Professor
3672th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Sun 10 Mar 01:13post reply

Two mins of motorbiking and OraOra

Advertisement resource intended for Pachislot owners
The woman in the white dress is named Maria. ...They're throwing randomly generated characters in there or something.

Okaaaay. So where's like, 90% of the game's cast.

Evil_Yagami
73th Post

Occasional Customer

"Tears of the Dragon" , posted Sun 10 Mar 01:43post reply

KOFKOUCHA posted on their website about new trademark application called Tears of the Dragon from SNK PLAYMORE, no information till the moment about this trademark !

http://kofkoucha.wordpress.com/

Please forgive sometimes for misunderstanding the translation, I use Google translator !

Evil_Yagami
74th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Tears of the Dragon" , posted Sun 10 Mar 01:47post reply

Original Text !

quote:
全般 : SNKプレイモア、【Tears Of The Dragon】を商標出願

新たなるパチスロか、それともはたまたSNSゲーか。商標速報BOTによるところ、SNKプレイモア社が【Tears Of The Dragon】を2月時点で登録出願。現在文字のみでロゴ等は無し。詳細は特許庁の商標公報DBから拝見可能(文献種別記号『4』、番号『2013-8298』)。

http://www.ipdl.inpit.go.jp/Syouhyou/shsogodb.ipdl?N0000=103

ちょっぴりカッコイイ系のこの商標出願、ヘビメタバンド『アイアン・メイデン』元ボーカリストのブルース・ディッキンソン氏が1994年にリリースした同タイトルの曲とは無関係と思われる。

karasu99
1079th Post

"Re(1):Tears of the Dragon" , posted Sun 10 Mar 04:11post reply

quote:
KOFKOUCHA posted on their website about new trademark application called Tears of the Dragon from SNK PLAYMORE, no information till the moment about this trademark !

http://kofkoucha.wordpress.com/

Please forgive sometimes for misunderstanding the translation, I use Google translator !

Prediction: Pachislot sequel to Rage of the Dragons

www.secret-arts.com

mbisonhatclub
551th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Tears of the Dragon" , posted Sun 10 Mar 05:03post reply

quote:
Prediction: Pachislot sequel to Rage of the Dragons

The tears part of the title is in reference to the tears the fanboys will feel when it gets released

kofoguz
1035th Post

"Re(1):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Sun 10 Mar 08:24:post reply

quote:
Two mins of motorbiking and OraOra

Advertisement resource intended for Pachislot owners
The woman in the white dress is named Maria. ...They're throwing randomly generated characters in there or something.

Wasnt Rock's mother was named Marie or something? And Geese is around the age knocking her up for Rock?

EdIt: Not to fuel your hopes extreme levels cause this probably end up a lame pachislot game but I kinde feel like this might be the time KoF lost roman numbers and turn to Saga names. King of Fighters : Tears of Dragon. Or may be the long hoped sequel of Art of Fighting? Both would be incredibly wonderful news but the first one crashes my dre<m of KOF XIII Climax the Console edition. They confirmed they were supposed to add mor characters so even though Im not holding my breath ı think it is possible.

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Sun 10 Mar 08:42]

Toxico
5762th Post

"Re(2):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Sun 10 Mar 09:13post reply

quote:

The second video has at least the basic KoF recurring chars that are involved in the conflict.

.... I rolfed when they referenced Techniques from the manga

quote:

Wasnt Rock's mother was named Marie or something? And Geese is around the age knocking her up for Rock?

No. If rock would be born at that time, he would be like, roughly the same age as Terry (which isn't the case).

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Professor
3674th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Sun 10 Mar 20:51post reply

quote:
The second video has at least the basic KoF recurring chars that are involved in the conflict.
.... I rolfed when they referenced Techniques from the manga

No. If rock would be born at that time, he would be like, roughly the same age as Terry (which isn't the case).

Cripes, they made Ryo's Koouken into an EM Pulse and his Shoukouken into a Mega Optic Blast

Evil_Yagami
75th Post

Occasional Customer

"Episode of the Dragon !" , posted Mon 11 Mar 01:44post reply

The trademark title changed to "Episode of the Dragon" !!!

Source : http://twitpic.com/ca8m5r

mbisonhatclub
552th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Episode of the Dragon !" , posted Mon 11 Mar 05:29post reply

quote:

They must have heard about my joke

Ishmael
4558th Post

"Re(2):Episode of the Dragon !" , posted Mon 11 Mar 09:44post reply

"Tears of the Dragon" is a terrible name so I was hoping they would stick with that.

Loona
682th Post

"Re(2):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Mon 11 Mar 20:58post reply

quote:

The girl in that pic looked like a brunette, Marie Heinlein was blonde according to the pic in Kain's stage in Garou MotW.

Well, there's still the recurring mystery of who this nun is...

quote:

EdIt: Not to fuel your hopes extreme levels cause this probably end up a lame pachislot game but I kinde feel like this might be the time KoF lost roman numbers and turn to Saga names. King of Fighters : Tears of Dragon. Or may be the long hoped sequel of Art of Fighting? Both would be incredibly wonderful news but the first one crashes my dre<m of KOF XIII Climax the Console edition. They confirmed they were supposed to add mor characters so even though Im not holding my breath ı think it is possible.

It would make some sense to drop KoF's now ridiculously high episode numbers and focus on sub-saga names.
There's that pending dragon power plot hanging since the NESTS days involving Kensou and the Hizoku, seems like the natural focus for the next saga, and this name fits.

Professor
3679th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Episode of the Dragon !" , posted Mon 11 Mar 21:56:post reply

quote:

SNKP is just throwing a bunch of similar titles for trademarking. That's normal when a company isn't sure about a solid name and they want to secure it by the time the product is done.

For Japan, trademarks sent to the bureau for approval process become public after a month after they're sent in (it isn't nessesarily approved by that time, of course).

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 11 Mar 23:10]

chazumaru
969th Post

"Re(3):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Tue 12 Mar 01:13post reply

How nice of Kenshirō to fill in for Ryō!

To be honest, since we'll never get an anime of this quality in 2013, I would not mind playing a Vita or 3DS version... I remember having fun with Tecmo's Rio de pachislo on DS back then.

Between this kind of announcement and the recent SNK cameo trend in anime, I was actually wondering about the relationship between the animation business and the pachinko market. Now that money from traditional anime / OAV sales is slowly disappearing, surely animation studios must be making much more money from this kind of partnership, no? Does it mean top animation and groundbreaking storyboards will now come from pachinko parlors?

I remember the recent Lupin pachinko cutscenes looking cooler than its contemporary Lupin anime.

Maou
2410th Post

"Re(4):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Tue 12 Mar 01:39post reply

It's Chaz, at last!
quote:
Does it mean top animation and groundbreaking storyboards will now come from pachinko parlors?I remember the recent Lupin pachinko cutscenes looking cooler than its contemporary Lupin anime.
It certainly was true with that 40th anniversary Lupin pachislot, like we chatted about last year! Though the new Fujiko-centered animation was at least interesting and well-drawn, if thematically odd.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Evil_Yagami
76th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Episode of the Dragon !" , posted Tue 12 Mar 22:59post reply

Thx Prof for the details !

They also registered a 3rd name "Destiny of the Dragon" !

Source : http://twitpic.com/ca8ibg

badoor
297th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK/PSVITA:BadoorUSA
XBL: BadoorSNK/WiiU:BadoorSNK
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Episode of the Dragon !" , posted Wed 13 Mar 06:44post reply

I want to state my theory regarding this whole Dragon thing before more info comes out that'll probably debunk it anyway.

Rather than evoking Double Dragon or Rage Of The Dragon, I think the Dragon refers to Ryo Sakazaki, the invincible dragon, just as how the "wolves" in Garou: MOTW refers to Terry. So maybe it's a new Art Of Fighting game. My guess? It'll probably be set after AOF3 but before MOTW at what is probably a very crucial but as of yet undisclosed chapter in Ryo's life; the time when Ryo inherited the Mr. Karate moniker from Takuma.

This will ultimately lead to a Buriki One sequel afterwards. My insane rambling is done.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/

Mosquiton
1856th Post

"Re(4):Episode of the Dragon !" , posted Wed 13 Mar 15:53post reply

quote:
It'll probably be set after AOF3 but before MOTW at what is probably a very crucial but as of yet undisclosed chapter in Ryo's life; the time when Ryo inherited the Mr. Karate moniker from Takuma.

This will ultimately lead to a Buriki One sequel afterwards. My insane rambling is done.

I am now anxiously awaiting Buriki Two for PS4/Xbox720.

/ / /

Professor
3683th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Thu 14 Mar 01:57:post reply

quote:
How nice of Kenshirō to fill in for Ryō!

To be honest, since we'll never get an anime of this quality in 2013, I would not mind playing a Vita or 3DS version... I remember having fun with Tecmo's Rio de pachislo on DS back then.

Between this kind of announcement and the recent SNK cameo trend in anime, I was actually wondering about the relationship between the animation business and the pachinko market. Now that money from traditional anime / OAV sales is slowly disappearing, surely animation studios must be making much more money from this kind of partnership, no? Does it mean top animation and groundbreaking storyboards will now come from pachinko parlors?

I remember the recent Lupin pachinko cutscenes looking cooler than its contemporary Lupin anime.

With Hyouka, the scene in the original novel featured Capcom characters so it might've just been that SNKP was easier to get rights for. Either way, the anime business is pretty broke so I'm sure studios love partnerships with Pachi companies. It's a dieing industry. I was hearing that some studios make it regular practice to even bargain with staff directors that "we know our wages are bad, but you're free to make money off from printing the storyboards and selling them at Comiket".

Badoor: Good theory about the "Dragon" part. I really like the AOF series. A game that takes place in the late 70s/early 80s is pretty unique. As for the pachislot, they're holding a press preview tomorrow so we'll probably be seeing more footage soon.

That reminds me, the "Ichigeki" KOF13 tournament hosted by Arcadia magazine's enterbrain and officially supported by SNKP is coming up in just a little over a week, March 23. They've just sent out notices to accepted players. I'm hoping something will be announced there, though I wouldn't hold my breath over it.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 14 Mar 02:34]

Professor
3683th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Thu 14 Mar 20:45post reply

AOF pachi teaser page

Almost 30 mins of footage

karasu99
1083th Post

"Re(5):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Thu 14 Mar 23:15post reply

quote:
Badoor: Good theory about the "Dragon" part. I really like the AOF series. A game that takes place in the late 70s/early 80s is pretty unique. As for the pachislot, they're holding a press preview tomorrow so we'll probably be seeing more footage soon.

I've always been a big fan of the series too, and I loved not only that it took place in the late 70's/early 80's but that it had that solid connection with Garou. (Professor or anybody, is it known if that was the idea from the start, or if it was retconned for AOF2?) Honestly though I've always hoped for an AOF4 instead of a MOTW2 or a new KOF. It was the game that got me started playing fighting games in the first place.

It's too bad that AOF1 came out when it did and when the real capabilities of the NeoGeo hadn't been worked out yet. It had so many incredible features that later became mainstays of the fighting genre, from the ki charge to the panning and zooming to super moves. And the damage models blew my mind at the time. I just remember my friends and I loving the game but that it felt extremely rough. I think the fact that you could only play as Ryo and Robert in a 1 player game led a lot of people to assume that you could only play as them in 2 player mode. And then when AOF2 came out and improved on every aspect of the game, only one arcade near me actually had it, despite Garou being everywhere at the time.

www.secret-arts.com

kofoguz
1035th Post

"Re(5):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Sat 16 Mar 14:25post reply

quote:
That reminds me, the "Ichigeki" KOF13 tournament hosted by Arcadia magazine's enterbrain and officially supported by SNKP is coming up in just a little over a week, March 23. They've just sent out notices to accepted players. I'm hoping something will be announced there, though I wouldn't hold my breath over it.
Professor I wonder whether is this name holding process requires a lot of money or not. If it is pricey that might mean those tree names could be the names of each episodes, so that would sign that is indeed King of Fighters. If the process is cheaper than the Water, then anything is possible. Hopefully a new AOF.

Professor
3685th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Sat 16 Mar 23:19post reply

quote:
Professor I wonder whether is this name holding process requires a lot of money or not. If it is pricey that might mean those tree names could be the names of each episodes, so that would sign that is indeed King of Fighters. If the process is cheaper than the Water, then anything is possible. Hopefully a new AOF.

They're registering for 3 business classifications per each trademark... so that should be on average about 600-1200 US dollars per trademark depending on a number of conditions (whether it's being registered for 5 or 10 years, how much their registration accountant is ripping them off, etc).

Evil Yagami
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"Fake article about KOF 14 !" , posted Mon 18 Mar 01:38post reply

http://m.jeuxactu.com/kof-14-wolgang-krauser-et-geese-howard-en-persos-jouables-86382.htm

http://m.jeuxactu.com/jeu/kof-14-20944.htm

Jeuxactu posted an article about KOF 14 based on fan sprites, they also listed 2014 as the released date of the game on PS3 and XBOX 360 !

Professor
3687th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Tue 19 Mar 10:26post reply

The AOF Pachislot isn't even out for another 6 weeks and its ending is already up on Youtube. Of course it'll loop to the beginning after that because after all, it's pachislot.

badoor
299th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(8):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Tue 19 Mar 17:22post reply

quote:
The AOF Pachislot isn't even out for another 6 weeks and its ending is already up on Youtube. Of course it'll loop to the beginning after that because after all, it's pachislot.

Haha

Geese jumps off a building again. This might be his first attempt at doing that, though he looks pretty confident at it.

I'm not sure who that blonde woman is (Maria) but it's most likely Marie Heinlein, Rock's mom. Though there was a Maria Howard, Geese's mother, though it's highly unlikely.

End of Spoiler

It is weird that SNKP added a bit to the AOF2 ending after so many years have past that game and the manga. But I'm glad they did, even through the rather odd medium of anime-cutscenes in a pachislot game.

Professor
3690th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Destiny of the Dragon unveiled" , posted Tue 19 Mar 17:52post reply

It's a fantasy RPG game for smartphones. Just launched today.

Images
Link to game

Zepy
1608th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Destiny of the Dragon unveiled" , posted Tue 19 Mar 18:08post reply

quote:

Images
Link to game

SNK Playmore is as awesome as ever trying to be GREE from 2010 when the entire market's all about Gungho now!

badoor
301th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Destiny of the Dragon unveiled" , posted Tue 19 Mar 18:50post reply

quote:

Images
Link to game

SNK Playmore is as awesome as ever trying to be GREE from 2010 when the entire market's all about Gungho now!

Haha that is true. It does feel like they're just following the "Dragons are cool" trend lately, with Puzzle & Dragons, Dragon's Dogma (and Capcom's PS4 game), the Souls games etc. Maybe that's part of what spurred Drag-O-Dragoon 3.

I like the art at least. Some of it feels like it's by Ogura but I can't confirm.

Professor
3691th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Destiny of the Dragon unveiled" , posted Tue 19 Mar 19:11post reply

quote:

Images
Link to game

<ガンホーサイコーマンクルポ

Sorry I just had to write that. Ahhh the good ol' days.

I think Ogura is too busy drawing art for the FatalFury x KOF card game as far as SNS stuff goes. The variety of artists they commision for that game is pretty crazy. I never thought I'd see official Wolfgang Krauser artwork from SNKP at this day in age.

sibarraz
479th Post

Gold Customer

"kof xiii on pc rumors" , posted Thu 21 Mar 04:32post reply

For those who don't remember, last month a page dedicated to post all the registry that are done on the steam service, published a list with tons of games which probably will be released on Valve's service, amongst those appeared KOF XIII, 98UM, and 2002UM (and even Ikari Warriors)

Well, this week we had seen a lot of announcements from steam, with a good chunk of them being predicted by the list from last month, if we add that 2 days ago appeared some achievements on the KOF XIII registry, maybe we are near the hear announcement of a PC port

Professor
3692th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Ichigeki tournament URL" , posted Thu 21 Mar 19:10post reply

Enterbrain-- the company that publishes Famitsu, Arcadia, and also runs the annual SBO/Tougeki tournament, will be running a KOF13 tournament called Ichigeki this weekend, Saturday 7PM JST.

URL: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv129728461
Note that it's a live stream, meaning the Nicovideo Redirector will not work for this.

quote:
Well, this week we had seen a lot of announcements from steam, with a good chunk of them being predicted by the list from last month, if we add that 2 days ago appeared some achievements on the KOF XIII registry, maybe we are near the hear announcement of a PC port

I took a quick glimpse of the KOF13 entry but the registry (unlike the other games like MK9) is completely blank and whoever made it used placeholder images taken from cell phone games. I wouldn't hold my breath over it.

chazumaru
974th Post

"Re(8):Art Of Fighting pachislot stuff" , posted Fri 22 Mar 00:35:post reply

quote:

It reminds me of Battle Heat FX.
PC-FX (and its eventual legacy) would have been a good place for modern Pachislo ports.

(Am I the only one who gets a strange stretched page bug on this topic/page?)

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Fri 22 Mar 00:37]

Professor
3715th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Fake Gets Real?" , posted Thu 18 Apr 14:38post reply

I can't read it natively. Can someone translate?

That's the official site for Xuan Dou Zhi Wang, the online fighting game which has been getting various comments for its striking similarity to the KOF series. It seems like they're getting an official collaboration now, though interestingly enough I see no copyright statements to SNKPlaymore at the bottom of the page or elsewhere (I'm assuming it was simply forgotten).

Evil_Yagami
78th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Fake Gets Real?" , posted Thu 18 Apr 20:05post reply

KOF XIII Producer has participated in the event of the Chinese fighting game:

http://xd.tgbus.com/yule/137756.shtml

kofoguz
1046th Post

"Re(1):Fake Gets Real?" , posted Fri 19 Apr 04:11post reply

quote:
I can't read it natively. Can someone translate?

That's the official site for Xuan Dou Zhi Wang, the online fighting game which has been getting various comments for its striking similarity to the KOF series. It seems like they're getting an official collaboration now, though interestingly enough I see no copyright statements to SNKPlaymore at the bottom of the page or elsewhere (I'm assuming it was simply forgotten).

If you look at the 14/4-17/4 pictures it really reminds you the soul of old SnK games. Beauty products and gloves of Benimaru is just perfect.

Professor
3717th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Fake Gets Real?" , posted Fri 19 Apr 14:09:post reply

quote:
KOF XIII Producer has participated in the event of the Chinese fighting game:

http://xd.tgbus.com/yule/137756.shtml

Quick translation of the announcement. Note that Ohata's speech is a complete mess of a run-on sentence because that's the way he originally said it. It also sounds like he says SNKP worked with Tencent on the game's development, although whether he meant to say that is another question.

President Ohata:
"With our business partnership with Tencent, they have created the wonderful online fighting game Xuan Dou Zhi, and we are extremely honored that it brings an opportunity for our characters from The King of Fighters to be enjoyed in it. We hope that the gamers in China will support both Xuan Dou Zhi and The King of Fighters. Thank you."

KOF13 Producer Yamamoto:
"Xuan Dou Zhi is the top online fighting game in the Chinese market, and it has been receiving great approvals from the players. The development team at Tencent has been working hard day in and day out, and their determination and effort has lead to this collaboration. I am confident that the development team for Xuan Dou Zhi will be able to bring the traits and appeal that (the characters in) The King Of Fighters series is known for."

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 19 Apr 15:25]

Ishmael
4593th Post

"Re(3):Fake Gets Real?" , posted Sat 20 Apr 01:52post reply

Just curious, but has anyone tried Xuan Dou Zhi? Visually it's obviously wearing its influences on its sleeve but does it play that way as well?

Sparkster
10th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Fake Gets Real?" , posted Sun 21 Apr 13:32post reply

quote:
Just curious, but has anyone tried Xuan Dou Zhi? Visually it's obviously wearing its influences on its sleeve but does it play that way as well?

System Summary

• Running, hopping/jumping, button layout, combo chains, rolls, guard cancels, and counter hits are KOF style for the most part.

• You can combo from counter hit sweeps. CD counter combos are the same as in KOF, as well as the small possibility for A/B/C/D moves to lead into combos on AA counter hit. GCCD counter hit combos also work, so you can punish Ell Blue's qcb+D shenanigans in the corner safely with meter.

• Throw inputs are A+C. I'm not sure of the start up speed, but I'll guess it's around KOFXII. This should lead to offense working differently since the 4+C/D option select against empty hops wont work now. As you would expect, you can tech throws any time except when thrown out of a roll. Alternate guard is in the game, too!

• (neutral) B+C activates '98 style MAX Mode. The timer is much shorter than in '98, and DMs become SDMs. I forget if there's a pushback increase in this mode.

• Hitconfirms and combo starters follow the KOF pattern (i.e. cr.B cr.A special) but most characters have a launcher type move. st.C > f.A > launcher > f.A > special/DM is generally the longest combo archetype you'll find, and the DM at the end will usually scale down from longer combos. Damage seems capped around 50% per combo so far.

• Power Gauge caps at 3 stocks in 3v3. There's no gain or loss between rounds as in '98.

• There's no super freeze. You can input whatever you like as soon as a DM starts, which is weird at first.

• I haven't tested if reversal super jumping or backdashing offers any invuln on wakeup, but DPs feel a little better than in '98 but not quite KOFXIII good. However, most reversals will cleanly lose to throws!

Quick Character Details

• Brazel (K' character) relies on cr.B cr.A starters or cr.B cr.B st.B chain into launcher. His st.B is amazing for footsies since it cancels into f.B j.hcf+K for a launch, whereas his Ein Trigger doesn't hit as high up as K's does, which makes it weaker in the neutral game for stopping hops and he doesn't have Second Shell for AA (it's an overhead axe kick). Instead of Crow Bites, he has a less powerful K9999 style DP but great AA DMs. Corner combos end with a Storm Bringer chain which actually steals health!!! Very powerful like K', but uses different normal attack set and spacing game.

• The Kula character has better midscreen combos, but worse high/low conversion since after a jump-in you have to cr.A f.A to combo. Less j.C and cr.B mashy, but she has an air flipkick, upper body invuln dash, and her ice DM freezes for a launch on hit. No Ray Spin for mindless, 2002 style getting in but she has a command Bazooka Knee overhead which links into cr.A from correct spacing.

• Sheva (pink Benimaru) is almost a direct copy of '98 Benimaru, only with some buffs. TK Raijinken can be done in XIII style (minus the infinites), st.CD his XIII kick, cr.A st.D link is very easy. Despite being easy to pick up, he feels underwhelming compared to how great many of the characters are.

Even most of the 'cloned' characters play differently than their KOF counterparts, and a good deal of the cast have crazy tools (Ameth is insane!).

With more servers or more stable connections to minimize lag, I'd really enjoy the game (★★★★☆). <100 ping matches feel like playing on GGPO, though a sort of local play mode would be great, though unlikely. The free to play model doesn't affect much, and given consistent competition I'd pay some money to buy characters instead of earning in-game points.

Ishmael
4594th Post

"Re(5):Fake Gets Real?" , posted Mon 22 Apr 05:10post reply

quote:
System Summary

Thanks for the write-up! The game sounds pretty cool and more than a little familiar.

Evil_Yagami
79th Post

Occasional Customer

"New KOF Trademark + Others !" , posted Fri 10 May 17:18post reply

SNK Playmore has registered many trademarks for :

1- The King of Fighters
2- Metal Slug
3- Samurai Shodown
4- Fatal Fury
5- Ikari Warriors
6- Beast Busters

Source :

http://kofkoucha.wordpress.com

Source :

http://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/332479073475493888
http://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/332480079156350976
http://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/332481095331377153
http://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/332482095337308160
http://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/332483103929016322
http://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/332484109781843968

Professor
3726th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):New KOF Trademark + Others !" , posted Fri 10 May 18:27post reply

quote:

1- The King of Fighters
2- Metal Slug
3- Samurai Shodown
4- Fatal Fury
5- Ikari Warriors
6- Beast Buster

So they're throwing English name trademarks for use in Japan. I'm assuming it's just for copyright protection----- so weird they haven't done that until now. But then again, it's SNKP.

Lugos
24th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):New KOF Trademark + Others !" , posted Sat 11 May 04:19post reply

quote:

6- Beast Busters

Beast Busters? Damn, talk about an obscure game.

I wish I knew how Japanese trademark law functioned. In the US, filing those registrations would mean that SNKP is planning (or at least contemplating) on re-releasing those games. But since it's Japan, who knows.

kofoguz
1047th Post

"Re(2):New KOF Trademark + Others !" , posted Sat 11 May 10:52post reply

quote:

1- The King of Fighters
2- Metal Slug
3- Samurai Shodown
4- Fatal Fury
5- Ikari Warriors
6- Beast Buster

So they're throwing English name trademarks for use in Japan. I'm assuming it's just for copyright protection----- so weird they haven't done that until now. But then again, it's SNKP.

Not to get too hoped up but I believe in Ohata.

Loona
692th Post

"Re(3):New KOF Trademark + Others !" , posted Mon 13 May 19:19post reply

The Skullgirls character vote has reached its final round, but along with the character votes there have been additional questions.

Today they have asked a question that trumps everything else - they're gauging interest on which hypothetical sequels to work on, and Garou MotW is listed as an option.

I wouldn't expect them to tackle something from SNK, but this is at least an easy vote to make. Now I'm really glad I donated, even if I was weary of SG from the start.

chazumaru
1002th Post

"Re(4):New KOF Trademark + Others !" , posted Mon 13 May 20:36post reply

So little time, so many Pachinko-related possibilities! Pachislo Biohazard needs competition from Beast Busters.

Maybe it's related to Neo Geo X? I saw the Asian version for sale in Japan and it warned that it was using the International setting of the ROM.

Professor
3729th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Thread closed, move to next!" , posted Tue 14 May 03:09post reply

Thread getting bloated, move to next! >>>>