Other Artist Info / Other Artist Info 2

This space reserved

Replies:

Professor
3452th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"Finally, an Arcade tournament." , posted Mon 16 Apr 21:27post reply

There's been a debate on whether Japan's KOF13 gameplay level gone down the drain, or if the good players just haven't been seen on the Internet. We'll know in the upcoming weeks as the arcades will finally be getting Climax by the end of the month.

The first KOF13 Climax tournament will be happening on May 4 (Fri) at Shinjuku Playland Carnival. It's during the holidays so there should be a good number of people there. Solo tournament w/losers bracket. Matches will be streamed and recorded.

Since the tournament is taking place in the arcades, that means the hardcore players are pretty much guaranteed to be there. Additional details and URLs will be posted when they become available.

sibarraz
396th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Finally, an Arcade tournament." , posted Tue 17 Apr 07:44:post reply

quote:
There's been a debate on whether Japan's KOF13 gameplay level gone down the drain, or if the good players just haven't been seen on the Internet. We'll know in the upcoming weeks as the arcades will finally be getting Climax by the end of the month.

The first KOF13 Climax tournament will be happening on May 4 (Fri) at Shinjuku Playland Carnival. It's during the holidays so there should be a good number of people there. Solo tournament w/losers bracket. Matches will be streamed and recorded.

Since the tournament is taking place in the arcades, that means the hardcore players are pretty much guaranteed to be there. Additional details and URLs will be posted when they become available.

Are the 200 units enough to cover the demand from the major arcades in japan?

Also, thanks for your explanation from the quote of the big boss, for how was worded, it sounded more like people will never pay for their mother food, but they will still eat in a fancy restaurant before they die because is cool to eat in fancy restaurants, but your explantion made more sense

[this message was edited by sibarraz on Tue 17 Apr 08:04]

Loona
553th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Finally, an Arcade tournament." , posted Tue 17 Apr 19:03post reply

quote:
Also, thanks for your explanation from the quote of the big boss, for how was worded, it sounded more like people will never pay for their mother food, but they will still eat in a fancy restaurant before they die because is cool to eat in fancy restaurants, but your explantion made more sense

It was an interesting quote about nostalgia and taking things for granted, but I wonder if he was using it to explain some business concept, and if so, which one.
In a twisted way, it sort of reminds me of some minor discussions in the national fighting game scene, where some guys who were good in KoF98 and did well in its tournaments seem to refuse to bother with XIII or other more recent games, standing by their claims that the game they're good at is superior so the newer stuff isn't worth bothering with (some already had this view regarding even updates like 98UM).

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

mbisonhatclub
488th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Finally, an Arcade tournament." , posted Tue 17 Apr 21:14post reply

quote:
In a twisted way, it sort of reminds me of some minor discussions in the national fighting game scene, where some guys who were good in KoF98 and did well in its tournaments seem to refuse to bother with XIII or other more recent games, standing by their claims that the game they're good at is superior so the newer stuff isn't worth bothering with (some already had this view regarding even updates like 98UM).
I happen to like KOF98 a lot, but most people stand by their old games because they've already learned it and the truth is, they're too lazy to try out other games in fear that their ego might be busted from looking like they don't know anything when they get their asses reamed in a game they haven't played before. This is basic psychology 101. Just look at SFHDRemix addicts. Plenty of them over PSN chats and messages alone have denounced games like SF4 and haven't even given it a fair try. And when I catch them online playing a game, it's always Street Fighter HD Remix. Fear of ego busting, much?

Face it, they're just losers tied to their ego in video game playing who are afraid of getting styled on in the new generation of games where their "tried and true" approach to classic games just doesn't cut it in the new games and they don't really enjoy games, they just bask in the self-esteem development that comes from knowing too much about their own favorite game, and that's what you call a stupid nerd or geek. They don't really understand fundamentals, they just learned the theory exclusive to their own game because that's the shortcut to getting "good" at them.

Sorry, but this kind of thing just infuriates me so much, especially when I live with someone who plays SFHDRemix every night but can't be bothered to play a different game.

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

sibarraz
396th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Finally, an Arcade tournament." , posted Tue 17 Apr 21:35post reply

I don't get this mentality of ''You had to play the newer games'' lots of guys enjoy the older games more than the new ones, without sucking at others, case in point, I know lots of guys who only stick to 98 and 2002 but who will still wipe our asses on XIII if they wanted, but since they don't have PS3 or find XIII ''too slow'' they don't bother with it

I no doubt that there are some guys who don't want to leave their comfortable zone, but well, we're talking about games, let them stick to whatever they want to play

mbisonhatclub
490th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Finally, an Arcade tournament." , posted Tue 17 Apr 23:23:post reply

The problem is they run their mouth off like they can't be contested. Sure, if you enjoy the old games, stick with it, but when you try to run your mouth off then you better be ready for scrutiny because there are people like me who'll tell you to fuck off, because honestly, my words are kinder than what I could do to most people physically, so if it's not so big of a deal as you say, then you don't need to pop off on other games, unless you wanna get put on blast.

If you're too stubborn to try something out, though, that's another issue alltogether. But if you are for sure enjoying what you like, then you shouldn't even really mind what I say unless you have some sort of guilty conscience over it. I'm talking about a specific group of people that seemed to get lost in translation.

So let me clarify: there is a section of the fighting game fanbase that is overtly dedicated to old games not because they genuinely enjoy it over other games, but because they have ego issues over its familiarity and anything "new" is bad to them. I'm not speaking about the people who just can't find enjoyment from the other games.

For example, I don't really care much about SFxTekken because I find it boring.

But these other people I'm specifically talking about aren't in it for the game itself, they're in it to stroke their own ego in their would-be fluent understanding of the game and its mechanics in at least a superficial sense and they pop off on other games and run their mouth about how everything else is terrible and they wouldn't give games like Skullgirls a chance for example. They don't really know what they're talking about, but they say things like "Ohhhh durrr Super Turbo/KOF98 is the purest form of fighting game excellence all these other new games are obviously garbage why are you guys playing them come play with me in my old games instead your game sucks ohhh durr hurr."

On the other hand, there are people who have been around and just enjoy what they enjoy and don't pop off on stuff, but they're not afraid to give something else a try just for shits and giggles, meaning, they're not stubborn freaks who are like "NO, I DON'T WANT TO TRY THAT, MOMMY. STOP TRYING TO FEED ME THAT. WAHH."

[this message was edited by mbisonhatclub on Tue 17 Apr 23:30]

Professor
3459th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Top JP player Kaoru confirmed for Evo" , posted Sun 22 Apr 04:01:post reply

Just a quick note, the top Japanese KOF13 player Kaoru, who's pretty much been MIA after the console release, appeared at the Kyoto tournament last night and went on an OCV rampage beating everyone there (url was posted by Gunsmith so I'm sure people were watching). During the tournament, he also declared that he's going to EVO.

This guy is like a machine. He's currently on a 600 winning streak with zero losses in ranked. However, he's in west Japan so he hasn't really played against the other top players mostly in the east like Ogosho or Dune, so it's hard to say whether he's weaker or stronger than them.

Videos might be posted later, it'll depend on the organizers.

For reference, old footage from his arcade 13 era can be found here.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 23 Apr 05:03]

Toxico
5619th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Top JP player Kaoru confirmed for Evo" , posted Sun 22 Apr 04:09post reply

quote:
Just a quick note, the top Japanese KOF13 player Kaoru announced he's going to EVO. He's currently on a 600 winning streak with zero losses in ranked. The guy plays like a machine.

He also won a 1.0 Duelling tournament for XIII and has won several team competitions virtually by himself.

Anyway, while it has nothing to do with a game I thought that it's about time I'd threw a bone or something in this thread.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 23 as of 20/11/11

SrirachaSC2
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Top JP player Kaoru confirmed for Evo" , posted Tue 24 Apr 00:54post reply

Any word on whether any Japanese players will be going to MLG Anaheim? Do they even know it's happening?

Professor
3459th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Top JP player Kaoru confirmed for Evo" , posted Tue 24 Apr 02:55post reply

quote:
Any word on whether any Japanese players will be going to MLG Anaheim? Do they even know it's happening?

Welcome to the BBS, SrirachaSC2.
So far, none. They know about it of course, but there's no details about it that's been announced at the current time.

Ishmael
4372th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):Top JP player Kaoru confirmed for Evo" , posted Tue 24 Apr 04:50post reply

Question!

Does SNKP have any new games on their schedule? I don't mean yet another re-release of Magician Lord, I mean an actual new game. KoFXIII has been out since 2010 so at this point there should at least be rumors of something new. Or is Sky Love now their primary franchise?

sibarraz
398th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Top JP player Kaoru confirmed for Evo" , posted Tue 24 Apr 04:56post reply

quote:
Question!

Does SNKP have any new games on their schedule? I don't mean yet another re-release of Magician Lord, I mean an actual new game. KoFXIII has been out since 2010 so at this point there should at least be rumors of something new. Or is Sky Love now their primary franchise?

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I could see them announcing a new game on the E3 through Atlus

KTallguy
1377th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"My contribution to the KOF thread." , posted Tue 24 Apr 05:48post reply

...is not that relevant, but maybe interesting?

http://youtu.be/hsqK9LWVHNY

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

GekigangerV
1748th Post

PSN: gekijmo

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Amazon gold box today" , posted Tue 24 Apr 18:19:post reply

Link Here

At 12 PST Amazon will have the PS3 version up for cheap. I think I heard $25. Most definitely a great deal. I believe at 5 PST they will have some Madcatz stick up or $99 as well so check it out.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Tue 24 Apr 18:21]

Professor
3460th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Kyoto Tournament vids w/Kaoru" , posted Wed 25 Apr 03:47post reply

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640136 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640175 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640239 - Nico 0:00 Kitta vs Kaoru/ 3:21 Keykakko vs Manabu
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640285 - Nico 7:17 Kaoru vs TomoP
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640316 - Nico 3:52 Gussan vs Kaoru
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640359 - Nico 0:00 Peko vs Gussan/ 3:33 Kaoru vs Keykakko/ 5:37 Peko vs Keykakko
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640402 - Nico Grand Finals, Kaoru vs Keykakko

the real kap
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Kyoto Tournament vids w/Kaoru" , posted Wed 25 Apr 04:20post reply

Climax will be released officially on the 26th right? Hopefully there'll be videos on the same day. The pace of the matches must be faster inbetween rounds because there aren't loading times and the KO sequence isn't that slow anymore, right?

Toxico
5621th Post

"Re(1):Kyoto Tournament vids w/Kaoru" , posted Wed 25 Apr 06:10post reply

quote:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640136 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640175 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640239 - Nico 0:00 Kitta vs Kaoru/ 3:21 Keykakko vs Manabu
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640285 - Nico 7:17 Kaoru vs TomoP
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640316 - Nico 3:52 Gussan vs Kaoru
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640359 - Nico 0:00 Peko vs Gussan/ 3:33 Kaoru vs Keykakko/ 5:37 Peko vs Keykakko
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17640402 - Nico Grand Finals, Kaoru vs Keykakko

Yourtube version , added the same side notes :

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3 0:00 Kitta vs Kaoru/ 3:21 Keykakko vs Manabu
Part 4 7:17 Kaoru vs TomoP
Part 5 3:52 Gussan vs Kaoru
Part 6 0:00 Peko vs Gussan/ 3:33 Kaoru vs Keykakko/ 5:37 Peko vs Keykakko
Part 7 Grand Finals, Kaoru vs Keykakko

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

sibarraz
400th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Kyoto Tournament vids w/Kaoru" , posted Wed 25 Apr 10:52post reply

In all honesty, I found the level of this tournament dissapointing, one could see that the level of the game dropped after the release of console, I hope that with climax we saw a better level

Sparkster
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Kyoto Tournament vids w/Kaoru" , posted Wed 25 Apr 16:52post reply

quote:
In all honesty, I found the level of this tournament dissapointing, one could see that the level of the game dropped after the release of console, I hope that with climax we saw a better level

Kaoru was sandbagging, bringing the phrase "Save that shit for nationals" back under the sun. Dune mentioned that he's never that sloppy when he plays online, and he definitely knew he was going to be recorded. Also note that there weren't any other huge names in the tournament, so he could get by with less effort than if he had to play Urasia or Haregoro.

He's really dedicated to underselling his strength, especially now that he's going to EVO.

Professor
3462th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Kyoto Tournament vids w/Kaoru" , posted Wed 25 Apr 19:16post reply

quote:

Kaoru was sandbagging, bringing the phrase "Save that shit for nationals" back under the sun. Dune mentioned that he's never that sloppy when he plays online, and he definitely knew he was going to be recorded. Also note that there weren't any other huge names in the tournament, so he could get by with less effort than if he had to play Urasia or Haregoro.

He's really dedicated to underselling his strength, especially now that he's going to EVO.

Sparkster, did you get my DM? Just checking.

sibarraz
401th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Kyoto Tournament vids w/Kaoru" , posted Wed 25 Apr 22:33post reply

quote:

Wow, and I thought that 'not showing your technology' was some odd mentality from places like south america

Interesting that you pointed that

Which other japanese player will go to evo besides kaoru and dune? or to shadowloo showdown

the real kap
11th Post

New Customer

"Got my color edit contest prizes!" , posted Thu 26 Apr 01:17:post reply

Took a while, but they're here! My cam sucks, but it can get the point across.

http://i.imgur.com/sk3WW.jpg <- package: front and left side. Right side is green colored and has 100% Fun! on it.

http://i.imgur.com/Xrgx6.jpg <- two sheets, a mug with Kyo and Iori on it and Ash's mug (har) on the bottom. That plushie thing is a cellphone holder (old-ass cellphone is mine), it has Kyo, Iori and Mai on it. The tumbler also looks cool, you can spin the lid around so you can pour the fluids out of a small hole or a big hole.

Enough bragging, let's resume the discussions! (/ ^_)))

[this message was edited by the real kap on Thu 26 Apr 03:23]

sibarraz
402th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Got my color edit contest prizes!" , posted Thu 26 Apr 04:04post reply

quote:
Took a while, but they're here! My cam sucks, but it can get the point across.

http://i.imgur.com/sk3WW.jpg <- package: front and left side. Right side is green colored and has 100% Fun! on it.

http://i.imgur.com/Xrgx6.jpg <- two sheets, a mug with Kyo and Iori on it and Ash's mug (har) on the bottom. That plushie thing is a cellphone holder (old-ass cellphone is mine), it has Kyo, Iori and Mai on it. The tumbler also looks cool, you can spin the lid around so you can pour the fluids out of a small hole or a big hole.

Enough bragging, let's resume the discussions! (/ ^_)))

Congrats for the prizes, those are really cool, I loved the tumbler looks cool with the logo

How it's the quality of the mug

Btw, I read that XIII is the third game with most entries on evo, it seems like the free t-shirt really helped, I hope that people play for it

the real kap
11th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Got my color edit contest prizes!" , posted Thu 26 Apr 04:34post reply

quote:

Congrats for the prizes, those are really cool, I loved the tumbler looks cool with the logo

Thanks! The quality of the mug is excellent, the rim might be a bit thinner than your usual mug, but the printing looks really sharp and clear. I'm not sure how much damage it can take, I don't want to wake the neighbors up by throwing it against the wall or something. =X

I'm now writing a very long email to SNKP about their future, I hope they can answer some issues that have been bothering people. Like, the incredibly strange design process for KOF XII sprites.

sibarraz
403th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Got my color edit contest prizes!" , posted Thu 26 Apr 05:27post reply

quote:

Thanks! The quality of the mug is excellent, the rim might be a bit thinner than your usual mug, but the printing looks really sharp and clear. I'm not sure how much damage it can take, I don't want to wake the neighbors up by throwing it against the wall or something. =X

I'm now writing a very long email to SNKP about their future, I hope they can answer some issues that have been bothering people. Like, the incredibly strange design process for KOF XII sprites.

What your found weird about their style of making sprites?

the real kap
12th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Got my color edit contest prizes!" , posted Thu 26 Apr 05:37post reply

quote:

It took them almost 5 years to create a good KOF. 5 years. That's a lot. :( It's a long story but you have to admit that this method of creating sprites isn't really effective.

sibarraz
404th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Got my color edit contest prizes!" , posted Thu 26 Apr 06:11post reply

quote:

It took them almost 5 years to create a good KOF. 5 years. That's a lot. :( It's a long story but you have to admit that this method of creating sprites isn't really effective.

That's true, even though I justify to a lesser extent this timespan since by all accounts SNK is short of manpower and money

That being said, I imagine that must be really hard to create sprites using pixelart for a FG with tons of animations and for HD devices

Could be seem a bit selfish, but I prefer to see this rather than the sprites used on skullgirls or blazblue, don't get me wrong, I like them too, but the style used in XII/XIII is very SNKesque to see it dissapear just like that

Don't know if the older method could be cheaper or not or faster, but as how you put it, one wonders if in the future what kind of method SNKP will use for the future

the real kap
13th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Got my color edit contest prizes!" , posted Thu 26 Apr 06:33post reply

quote:

That's true, even though I justify to a lesser extent this timespan since by all accounts SNK is short of manpower and money

That being said, I imagine that must be really hard to create sprites using pixelart for a FG with tons of animations and for HD devices

Could be seem a bit selfish, but I prefer to see this rather than the sprites used on skullgirls or blazblue, don't get me wrong, I like them too, but the style used in XII/XIII is very SNKesque to see it dissapear just like that

Don't know if the older method could be cheaper or not or faster, but as how you put it, one wonders if in the future what kind of method SNKP will use for the future

I think that even if SNKP cuts down on the colored layers, the artstyle would still be SNKesque. The bubbly clothing that would make a smoothing iron freak out, the muscles, the faces, the postures, all of the attitude would still be the same, but it would look a tad more simple. It isn't something that you see in other anime-like sprite fighters, it would definitely stand out on its own. Blazblue and Guilty Gear have very simple shading, but there was never a backlash because of how simple they look, because they made that up with crazy action, among other things.

I'd say that gameplay is more important than anything, all the small things that would cut down on development time to prevent another disaster that was KOF XII would help a lot. Time will tell. :\

nobinobita
1061th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(7):Got my color edit contest prizes!" , posted Thu 26 Apr 07:55:post reply

quote:

I think that even if SNKP cuts down on the colored layers, the artstyle would still be SNKesque. The bubbly clothing that would make a smoothing iron freak out, the muscles, the faces, the postures, all of the attitude would still be the same, but it would look a tad more simple. It isn't something that you see in other anime-like sprite fighters, it would definitely stand out on its own. Blazblue and Guilty Gear have very simple shading, but there was never a backlash because of how simple they look, because they made that up with crazy action, among other things.

I'd say that gameplay is more important than anything, all the small things that would cut down on development time to prevent another disaster that was KOF XII would help a lot. Time will tell. :\

They could probably save a ton of time and costs by outsourcing to China (which is what Arcsys did with P4 Ultimate in Mayo Arena and that game looks great). There are lots of skilled pixel artists in China and I bet most of them are huge SNK fans to boot.

Even though technology allows ultra HD games like skull girls, i'd hate to see sprite art disappear. It'd be like if people stopped painting with watercolors.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 26 Apr 07:57]

kofoguz
983th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(8):Got my color edit contest prizes!" , posted Thu 26 Apr 09:52post reply

I like what Skullgirls bring to the table but as many of you guys mentioned I do have the worry of losing sprite art. And I still hope for Skullgals.

Btw nobi I still cant wait your Kof XIII part two and three columns. Just a fanly pressure.

Sparkster
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Kyoto Tournament vids w/Kaoru" , posted Thu 26 Apr 15:27post reply

quote:

Not sure what you're referring to, but I don't see you on MSN either.

Professor
3465th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Kyoto Tournament vids w/Kaoru" , posted Thu 26 Apr 22:36post reply

Really Odd King bug.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl2Ib_FARRU

Official KOF13 blog updated. This will be their last weekly update and from now on, they'll post stuff when there's anything worthwhile of mentioning.

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/blog/

This week's update is pretty fundamental stuff about usage of meters. Most of it is nothing new, but there's a few noteworthy points.

1. Don't forget that GCAB doesn't always have to be done forwards when you're cornered. You can also do it backwards and aim for a combo afterwards in point-blank range.

2. Don't forget that GCCD doesn't always have to be used for defensive purposes. You can also use it as a part of your pressure game when you've got your opponent cornered.

3. When doing GCCD, you can input a throw evade afterwards (do direction + C or D) to make your defense stronger with that option select.

4. You can't drivecancel specials to another special when it gets blocked, but that's actually useful if you're using a move with good recovery since you're safe on block but you can do additional damage when it hits.

5. Don't forget that supercancels can be done even if they're blocked. This can be useful if you've got a super that's safe on block.

Professor
3466th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Kyoto Tournament vids w/Kaoru" , posted Thu 26 Apr 22:36post reply

quote:

Not sure what you're referring to, but I don't see you on MSN either.

Weird, I never got a queue from msn either.
Can you DM (direct message) me on Twitter or mail from here with your msn contact info? thanks.

mbisonhatclub
490th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Kyoto Tournament vids w/Kaoru" , posted Thu 26 Apr 22:50post reply

quote:
Really Odd King bug.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl2Ib_FARRU
2k3 all over again

Oh, SNK, what would a game of yours be without some weird bug

quote:
4. You can't drivecancel specials to another special when it gets blocked, but that's actually useful if you're using a move with good recovery since you're safe on block but you can do additional damage when it hits.
Yeah, you can't do it in normal state, but you can do this while in activation state, however.

sibarraz
408th Post

Gold Customer

"Evo Entries" , posted Tue 1 May 10:35:post reply

An interesting tidbit about EVO that I heard today from a reliable source, is that KOF XIII already surpassed UMVC3 and is now the second game with most entries only after AE 2012

The power of free t-shirts will never stop to amuse me, but good for SNKP and Atlus I guess, I know that this could work as some sort of demo for them

[this message was edited by sibarraz on Tue 1 May 10:36]

Professor
3473th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Climax Streaming" , posted Wed 2 May 17:57:post reply

Live streaming for KOF13Climax from Tokyo is slated in one hour from now (unless they get machine problems). URL is-

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/versus-live21

Nishinippori Gamespot Versus.
Orochinagi.com's Gunsmith will most likely be there.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 2 May 18:56]

Professor
3473th Post

MMCafe Owner

"KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Thu 3 May 01:19post reply

Has anyone picked this up yet?

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/game/iphone/kof-i2012/new/index.html

Loona
556th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Thu 3 May 01:28post reply

quote:

A "cards" screen with part of Oswald apparently drawn in the new style... teasers... then again, there seem to only be 19 cards, and the game has more characters than that...

Toxico
5626th Post

"Re(2):KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Thu 3 May 01:58:post reply

quote:

A "cards" screen with part of Oswald apparently drawn in the new style... teasers... then again, there seem to only be 19 cards, and the game has more characters than that...

That's one of the sketches from the crew that worked directly under Yamamoto back in 2010, it's from the lot of "sprites for characters we would have liked to do, but never got around to"... Thar article was even translated, though I totally doubt that interpretation (for obvious reasons).

I can already heard the fan delusions of "new DLC in coming" and stuff. Personally, the fact that the trading card about Oswald is the exact same one as the one as the test type sprite means that they haven't even considered working on him since 2010, else the sprite would be different.

edit : Nishinippori Versus XIII, but now the nico nico version.

Part 1

Part 2 -> Gunsmith 5 minutes of fame start here, end here. The announcer thinks that his name is supper cool♥

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

As far as I know a lot of the players here haven't been recorded outside their own stream playing XIII (like Shoki or Myu)

edit

Rips from the new iphone game gallery can be seen in a certain Chinese board.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 3 May 14:50]

the real kap
15th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Thu 3 May 03:30post reply

quote:

Look closely, that's the page number. Bottom right says there are 285 cards total.

quote:

I can already heard the fan delusions of "new DLC in coming" and stuff. Personally, the fact that the trading card about Oswald is the exact same one as the one as the test type sprite means that they haven't even considered working on him since 2010, else the sprite would be different.

They haven't considered working on sprites period after the console version of XIII, hm. :( It's annoying that all the cool unused thingies are on the mobile games: unused KOFXII art of Hwa Jai, Takuma, Women Team as cards, Iori in KOF Encounter in his beta stance etc. I wonder what kind of other obscurity is in this version of the i-phone game.

styleos
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Thu 3 May 12:39:post reply

quote:
Has anyone picked this up yet?

Ending pic 1(include Oswald)
Ending pic 2(include new Whip)
Ending pic 3

They call me Prophet

[this message was edited by styleos on Thu 3 May 12:42]

Loona
557th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Thu 3 May 17:43post reply

quote:
Ending pic 1(include Oswald)

The shading on Oswald does look better than it did on that old blog post, but it's nice that they bothered.

quote:

Ending pic 3

This one isn't loading for me :/ As aren't some in that chinese board, maybe the thing is getting bombarded with traffic.

sibarraz
410th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Fri 4 May 00:09post reply

I honestly think that some of those characters could end in a new KOF, since being realistic, I see more chances of doing 5-6 sprites and launch and already robust KOF that releasing a new game for other franchises that maybe are not as hot as KOF (Like NGBC2 as some has suggested)

At least is not that weird to see SNK spoiling things with their Ios games, the same could be said with the XII stages

Toxico
5627th Post

"Re(4):KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Sun 6 May 01:42post reply

Tokinyan - Nico, mean, that Tetsuo t-shirt guy. The opposition doesn't seem that sharp though, so he looks pretty good thanks to that

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Spoon
2304th Post

"Re(5):KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Mon 7 May 00:27post reply

At the major Australian tournament Shadowloo Showdown, both Dakou and Xiaohai were present for a few games, including KOF13.

Tokido actually gave both a run for the money, even eliminating Dakou in the loser's finals, and forcing a bracket reset on Xiaohai. But Tokido dropped his HD combo with Iori way too many times, and the match turned once Xiaohai figured out how to consistently anti-air Mr. Karate with Billy's d.C

Dakou also made top 8 in SSF4AE.

GekigangerV
1749th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Tue 8 May 11:16post reply

So in SNK related news,

Iori Yagami will be in the game Lost Saga

The news states that Iori has been confirmed for the Korean version, with no news on if or when he will be put into the Japanese version.

Loona
560th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Tue 8 May 12:02post reply

quote:
So in SNK related news,

The news states that Iori has been confirmed for the Korean version, with no news on if or when he will be put into the Japanese version.

From a quick check, that seems to be an MMO-ish thing where some character ptions are paid, and when those are established characters, there are gender-flipped options (Ex: there's a Jin Kisaragi hero premium character, the female version ooks like Noel). Will they dare to include Ms X?...

Professor
3475th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Tue 8 May 15:56:post reply

Quoted fromGekigangerV
So in SNK related news,

It's good to know that some places are still interested in licensing SNK's IPs (other than Queen's Blade).

The Female version looks like vice!
There's already videos on Youtube.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 8 May 16:24]

Loona
561th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Wed 9 May 09:49post reply

quote:

It's good to know that some places are still interested in licensing SNK's IPs (other than Queen's Blade).

It almost funny how SNK's IPs are making it into the same crossovers as the Arcsys ones (Queen's Gate, Lord of Vermilion, and no this), even if all of those to far aren't leaving Asia. With many indirect crossovers (a few characters in the middle of something bigger thanwithout taking center stage) between those 2 companies, I wonder if that could be a hint of things to come?
For the most part their aesthetics don't blend that well unless character choice is very particular, but it would at least be more likely than another Capcom/SNK game, if even something as big as SFxT was supposed to be didn't do as well as expected...

sibarraz
411th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):KOF-i 2012 on iOS" , posted Wed 9 May 10:11post reply

quote:

It almost funny how SNK's IPs are making it into the same crossovers as the Arcsys ones (Queen's Gate, Lord of Vermilion, and no this), even if all of those to far aren't leaving Asia. With many indirect crossovers (a few characters in the middle of something bigger thanwithout taking center stage) between those 2 companies, I wonder if that could be a hint of things to come?
For the most part their aesthetics don't blend that well unless character choice is very particular, but it would at least be more likely than another Capcom/SNK game, if even something as big as SFxT was supposed to be didn't do as well as expected...

How well ended the relationship between capcom and SNK I had read that both don't wanted to make games together ever, but maybe they had changed their minds

At least from a fan perspective, I think that Capcom vs SNK was way more expected than Capcom vs Tekken, where even though tekken is more popular than SNK related products, the company didn't had a big story with capcom to begin with it

Professor
3478th Post

MMCafe Owner

"KOF13 Climax has Balance Changes" , posted Wed 9 May 17:10:post reply

Update: Nest Kyo doesn't seem to have any nerfs

SNKPlaymore originally publicized that the changes in KOF13 Climax would remain only as bug fixes, but apparently they've went out of their way to actually make some balance adjustments. Whether they'll release an official list is something we'll need to wait and see.

According to top player Skye(Justius) from Singapore who's had his hands on KOF13 Climax for the past few days, he says there's been a few balance changes from the console version. He's found two thus far, and there's probably more. [Thanks to Orphen for the news.]

1. Damage on some moves for Nests Kyo have been toned down. He seems to be the same as the console version.
2. The renda/rapid cancel on K's low B needs to be input with slightly more delay. It's plausible that the move comes out slower now. Can still be done 3 times.

Southtown Arcade reportedly has the game as well and there's been a few reports on balance changes there. I'm not sure if it's all accurate, but check them from the URLs below.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37577469&postcount=4791
http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=2045.msg52452#msg52452

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 11 May 17:47]

Sparkster
6th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):KOF13 Climax has Balance Changes" , posted Thu 10 May 14:50post reply

quote:

1. Damage on some moves for Nests Kyo have been toned down.
2. The renda/rapid cancel on K's low B needs to be input with slightly more delay. It's plausible that the move comes out slower now. Can still be done 3 times.

Southtown Arcade reportedly has the game as well and there's been a few reports on balance changes there. I'm not sure if it's all accurate, but check them from the URLs below.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37577469&postcount=4791
http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=2045.msg52452#msg52452

Man, EX Kyo and Shen on blast. I'm also hearing rumors about charge times being changed. Hopefully the SNKP blog posts a full update soon, though who knows if Climax will ever see a console release since the update process can be costly to go through Sony and Microsoft.

the real kap
16th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):KOF13 Climax has Balance Changes" , posted Thu 10 May 18:18post reply

quote:

Man, EX Kyo and Shen on blast. I'm also hearing rumors about charge times being changed. Hopefully the SNKP blog posts a full update soon, though who knows if Climax will ever see a console release since the update process can be costly to go through Sony and Microsoft.

If only SNKP put more effort in Climax, like more character moves and stages, that would justify a console patch. Right now, patching it for only a handful of changes doesn't justify the costs at all. :(

Professor
3479th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):KOF13 Climax has Balance Changes" , posted Fri 11 May 17:50:post reply

Quick note-- I tried checking out Nests Kyo's attacks (leave aside his normal moves). Their damages seem to all be the same as the console version including the followups after his Rekkas. I might be missing out on something, but so far my personal verdict is that he hasn't changed.

cr.Bx2>c.B>QCFAx2>A/C still does 200 damage, for example.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 11 May 17:54]

Toxico
5633th Post

"Re(4):KOF13 Climax has Balance Changes" , posted Fri 11 May 23:52:post reply

God's Garden - Nico . Players are better than the last time, but still kinda too calm for my tastes

Game Carnival (japanese arcade) has been streaming casuals non stop here. They basically configured the machine to stream all night and it has been on for 14 hours with changing players.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sat 12 May 00:21]

sibarraz
413th Post

Gold Customer

"KOF English Voices" , posted Tue 15 May 05:17:post reply

Well good news for me, climax will come to my country within this month

I'm starting to doubt that this game only sold 200 units, at least southtown arcade and Peru has the game

Wut da Hale?

[this message was edited by sibarraz on Tue 15 May 06:18]

GekigangerV
1751th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):KOF English Voices" , posted Tue 15 May 09:19post reply

quote:
Well good news for me, climax will come to my country within this month

I'm starting to doubt that this game only sold 200 units, at least southtown arcade and Peru has the game

Wut da Hale?

I think that there were also English voices in KOFXII. I am surprised that they did it again for XIII and still didn't officially put them in.

The Athena and Kula ones aren't as bad as the guy was making them out to be. Their Japanese voices are already pretty grating on the ears.

KTallguy
1383th Post

"Re(2):KOF English Voices" , posted Tue 15 May 13:01post reply

quote:
I think that there were also English voices in KOFXII. I am surprised that they did it again for XIII and still didn't officially put them in.

The Athena and Kula ones aren't as bad as the guy was making them out to be. Their Japanese voices are already pretty grating on the ears.

Yeah, a lot of the cutsey Japanese girl voices are overdone... I wish we could go back to the 90s...

Loona
563th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):KOF English Voices" , posted Tue 15 May 17:52post reply

quote:
Yeah, a lot of the cutsey Japanese girl voices are overdone... I wish we could go back to the 90s...

I don't know about that, 98 Athena was one of the worst.

the real kap
17th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):KOF English Voices" , posted Tue 15 May 18:11post reply

quote:

The XIII rom had unused English soundfiles in a folder, Mai and Kula were dubbed in English, the other new characters are still Japanese.

KTallguy
1385th Post

"Re(4):KOF English Voices" , posted Wed 16 May 01:41post reply

quote:

I think Athena was intentionally designed to sound grating on the ears, like Ayumi Hamasaki. But it's better than the characters sounding like moe dribbling children, see the Rimururu redesign from SS4 -> SS5. Breaks my heart.

sibarraz
413th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):KOF English Voices" , posted Wed 16 May 03:21post reply

quote:

I think Athena was intentionally designed to sound grating on the ears, like Ayumi Hamasaki. But it's better than the characters sounding like moe dribbling children, see the Rimururu redesign from SS4 -> SS5. Breaks my heart.

I can't be the only who enjoyed a good loop of psicobols in 98

But again, I use athena in 98 so maybe I got used to it

Amakusa
914th Post

"Re(6):KOF English Voices" , posted Wed 16 May 15:45post reply

quote:

I wouldn't be surprised; I don't think Athena's voice actor changed since '98.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

sibarraz
415th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):KOF English Voices" , posted Thu 17 May 09:49post reply

quote:

I wouldn't be surprised; I don't think Athena's voice actor changed since '98.

you are actually right

Even though she seemed to low down the high pitched voice, I like her voice since when I hear it I already associate it with 98

mbisonhatclub
493th Post

Gold Customer

"MLG?" , posted Fri 18 May 10:10post reply

I'm really disappointed to hear that, according to MLGAdam, there's only 7 people signed up for KOFXIII at MLG right now. The hell?

sibarraz
417th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):MLG?" , posted Fri 18 May 12:17post reply

quote:
I'm really disappointed to hear that, according to MLGAdam, there's only 7 people signed up for KOFXIII at MLG right now. The hell?

Isn't the tournament in California? A supposed hot spot for KOF?

if even in california they can't make people register I think that KOF should stop with the e-sports route

Loona
566th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):MLG?" , posted Fri 18 May 12:42post reply

quote:

Aren't they still having KoF Friday and Saturday while the other 2 games get to have the weekend proper to themselves, like last time?
That way people have to take a day off (or more, depending on distance) of work to go, pay an entrance fee and probably get bodied hard by Bala on live stream.
Seems like a riskier approach for the game, especially considering how internationally spread out its community is.

They should rotate the days each game gets, instead of treating KoF like the red-headed stepchild of the trio of games they adopted. It was already pretty dodgy when some weeks ago they had a fighing game arena event that left KoF out...

Professor
3488th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Sat 19 May 14:30:post reply

The first KOF13 Climax tournament is taking place in Japan on June 23(Sat) at Shinjuku Carnival. There'll be recorded, not sure if a stream will be available (probably will, URL will be posted when available).

Maximum limit is 6 points. You can pair any sort of team as long as you're within the limit. This ratio chart puts character usage population into account.

5 Mr.Karate
4 Normal-Kyo, Flame-Iori
3 Saiki Benimaru Hwa Shen Claw-Iori
2 K' Kula Duolon Nests-Kyo Leona Andy King Kensou Ryo Robert
1 Ash Elisabeth Billy Daimon Joe Takuma Mature Vice Kim Yuri Raiden Ralf Clark Mai Chin
0 Athena Terry Maxima

It seems like whoever made this ratio chart didn't put too much time into it and it's already getting criticism. There's some characters in Ratio 1 that are too powerful to belong there even if they're not often used by people (Daimon, Chin), and also some characters that noone will use if they're Ratio 2 (who'd use King if you can swap her with Daimon and Kim, for example).

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 20 May 13:35]

mbisonhatclub
494th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Sat 19 May 14:39post reply

quote:
Ratio tourney stuff
Having ratio tourneys NOW?

At least SoCal and NorCal guys won't do this kind of thing, and neither will EVO when that happens.

Professor
3487th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Sat 19 May 15:38post reply

quote:
Ratio tourney stuffHaving ratio tourneys NOW?

At least SoCal and NorCal guys won't do this kind of thing, and neither will EVO when that happens.

Well, the character usages are already pretty bad and everyone is tier whoring, so I think that ratio is really the way to go. You need to force people to use characters, otherwise everyone will keep using Karate, Iori, Kyo, Saiki, and a few other top tiers. Basically, KOF13console/climax being balanced is already becoming a thing of a past in Japan.

mbisonhatclub
495th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Sat 19 May 21:13post reply

quote:

Well, the character usages are already pretty bad and everyone is tier whoring, so I think that ratio is really the way to go. You need to force people to use characters, otherwise everyone will keep using Karate, Iori, Kyo, Saiki, and a few other top tiers. Basically, KOF13console/climax being balanced is already becoming a thing of a past in Japan.

It's kinda sad that they're still gonna lose to Bala if they come down to Evo and crutch themselves like that...I thought Kusoru would have taught people a lesson by now.

sibarraz
420th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Sun 20 May 02:35post reply

quote:

It's kinda sad that they're still gonna lose to Bala if they come down to Evo and crutch themselves like that...I thought Kusoru would have taught people a lesson by now.

I'm still not that sure that bala will whip them here, I had the idea that the level of USA is not that good and that at evo it will be nowhere land, since lots of top players from south america and asia will go there.

Hell, I had heard that bala isn't even the best mexican in his country.

At least this tier list shows how little the game was exploited in USA, like a good friend explain me the other day, tier lists are always subjetive and under no means will assure a victory, but at the same time they show you a lot about the game mechanics in a sense of which character could exploit the best the system

In usa everybody is used and balanced because only a few understands that well the game

At least with the ratio thing I believe that we will see better tech and see people muving up and down, but at the moment, at least the first 3 row are spot on IMO
Btw, where is Ryo in the ratio list?

Professor
3488th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Sun 20 May 14:20post reply

quote:

Well remember, this is only one tournament and it's a rule more oriented towards casual players. I'm pretty sure top players will still participate and beat the living snot out of everyone though.

...Putting that aside, I don't think any of the top Japanese players will be going to Evo, except for Kaoru.

quote:
At least this tier list shows how little the game was exploited in USA, like a good friend explain me the other day, tier lists are always subjetive and under no means will assure a victory, but at the same time they show you a lot about the game mechanics in a sense of which character could exploit the best the system

In usa everybody is used and balanced because only a few understands that well the game

Oops, I forgot Ryo and Robert, they're ratio 2. I agree with what you're saying. The game may be balanced compared to previous KOF titles, but it's not really... balanced. There's some characters in the game that seem to seriously lack in tools.

Btw, the ratio chart isn't a completely accurate tier list because it keeps into consideration how often a character gets used. For example Chin isn't that low tier, but not that many people use him so he's at ratio 1. The concensus on tiers amongst general JP players is something like this. It doesn't nessesarily reflect the opinions of top players. For that, you've got this.

S- Karate Kyo F.Iori
A- Benimaru Chin C.Iori Shen Andy
B- K' Saiki Yuri Takuma Ex.Kyo Hwa Vice Duolon Kim Daimon
C- Elisabeth Raiden Mai Kula Ralf Joe Kensou
D- Mature Athena Ash Ryo Robert Leona
E- King Clark Maxima Terry Billy

Crountine
2th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Mon 21 May 06:09post reply

quote:

I'm still not that sure that bala will whip them here, I had the idea that the level of USA is not that good and that at evo it will be nowhere land, since lots of top players from south america and asia will go there.

Hell, I had heard that bala isn't even the best mexican in his country.

At least with the ratio thing I believe that we will see better tech and see people muving up

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

The level of mexican players isn't good at all in XIII.
There never were enough Arcade cabinets to begin with, only major cities had them.
It wasn't until the console version arrived that mexican started playing, and most don't have sticks, they use pads. If you've been watching the streams from Mexico you can tell that most of us (I'm mexican) play the game as if we were playing KOF 2002.
Bala is the most knowledgeable KOF XIII mexican player there is, I think you heard that because Bala used to be Number 2 or 3 in KOF 2002 competitions, but that was years ago. Even when Bala moved to California he used to get bodied by mr KOF. His level is totally different now.
Unless top japanese players attend EVO I think the first 3 spots will be taken by socal players: Reynald, mr KOF and Bala.

mbisonhatclub
496th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Mon 21 May 06:43post reply

Then all I can say is, maybe it's a good thing they stay in Japan, then.

Professor
3489th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Mon 21 May 09:26post reply

quote:
There never were enough Arcade cabinets to begin with, only major cities had them.
It wasn't until the console version arrived that mexican started playing, and most don't have sticks, they use pads. If you've been watching the streams from Mexico you can tell that most of us (I'm mexican) play the game as if we were playing KOF 2002.
Bala is the most knowledgeable KOF XIII mexican player there is, I think you heard that because Bala used to be Number 2 or 3 in KOF 2002 competitions, but that was years ago. Even when Bala moved to California he used to get bodied by mr KOF. His level is totally different now.
Unless top japanese players attend EVO I think the first 3 spots will be taken by socal players: Reynald, mr KOF and Bala.

I'm looking very forward to EVO this time for KOF13, though pity not that many serious Asian players are going to be there (most of them aren't dedicated to the game and it's more of a side-thing after SF4). If MadKOF is actually participating as said, it'll be pretty interesting. The eastern and western ways of playing the game are totally different so I have no idea how the matches will turn out. Asian style is usually to tier whore, so I have a feeling the US could potentially give them problems with matchups.

Kane317
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Mon 21 May 21:24post reply

quote:

I'm looking very forward to EVO this time for KOF13, though pity not that many serious Asian players are going to be there (most of them aren't dedicated to the game and it's more of a side-thing after SF4). If MadKOF is actually participating as said, it'll be pretty interesting. The eastern and western ways of playing the game are totally different so I have no idea how the matches will turn out. Asian style is usually to tier whore, so I have a feeling the US could potentially give them problems with matchups.

Prof: There's a bunch of tier whores here too...it's like 80% similar if you ask me--we might have a tiny bit more variety.

www.youtube.com/kane317

Professor
3490th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Tue 22 May 00:00post reply

quote:
Prof: There's a bunch of tier whores here too...it's like 80% similar if you ask me--we might have a tiny bit more variety.

lol, really? I'll check out this week's runback to see how things changed, early last season didn't seem all that bad in variety. What's your take on the game's balance? It'll be interesting to hear/see.

On a different note, another JP KOF player might be hitting EVO, unconfirmed for now. EVO's Deadline's approaching fast so we'll know soon. That'll be Yukichi, No.1 Terry player in Japan.

the real kap
18th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Tue 22 May 00:00post reply

SNKP still hasn't replied to my email filled with sweet words and encouragement, it's best to not expect them further supporting console XIII. :| (my ideas and business plans were so good...)

sibarraz
421th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Tue 22 May 03:12post reply

quote:
SNKP still hasn't replied to my email filled with sweet words and encouragement, it's best to not expect them further supporting console XIII. :| (my ideas and business plans were so good...)

Is hard that they will answer every single mail telling them how things should be done

At least I don't know if yo ideas are good, since nobody knows the balance of the company

the real kap
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Tue 22 May 04:57post reply

The words of encouragement were really, really sweet. You'd cry of happiness if they were meant for you. Maybe the Japanese are sensitive about that, iuno.

Abridged, the important thing is that I let them know that Western fans were concerned before in the XII era and that it's a huge relieve that XIII is starting to become more and more popular. I also explained that creating sprites that are too detailed costs too much money and that it could be simplified, using BlazBlue as an example because (almost) no one complained about the anime coloring style.

If they are offended and their pride is damaged, then whatever. It's not like I called them a bunch of inept imbeciles, I'm always considerate with my words. :/ I've told them what's been on my mind for years, because we never had a chance to contact them, only the trash publishers in the US/EU. I felt compelled to grab the opportunity to show my appreciation and insight of what the Western community (the one they never talk to) thinks of them and how much they want them to stay in business, for example, by not taking huge financial risks anymore like XII.

They did say in the letter that came with the parcel that they were happy to have great fans not just in Japan, but also oversea ones like me. That also motivated me to speak on behalf of the Western SNK fans, I have no regrets! *raises fist*

sibarraz
422th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Tue 22 May 12:57post reply

mmm, I see, I still had my doubts that games like blazblue had cheaper sprites considering the little ammount of them produced per game, but anyway

Btw, a friend told me that a reason for the low ammount of entries at anaheim is because tons of players there don't had credit cards, but that at the day of the event more people should appear on the entries

Loona
571th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Climax" , posted Tue 22 May 19:31post reply

quote:
I've told them what's been on my mind for years, because we never had a chance to contact them, only the trash publishers in the US/EU.

Atlus seems to do well on the US side, but Rising Star feels a bit lacking - I posted in their forums about how Mr Karate didn't show up if you accessed the store from the game and they never replied, even if it's an issue that should make it easier for them to get some money, assuming they get a cut from those purchases.

the real kap
20th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Ratio tournament for KOF13 Clima" , posted Tue 22 May 22:46post reply

quote:

Atlus seems to do well on the US side, but Rising Star feels a bit lacking - I posted in their forums about how Mr Karate didn't show up if you accessed the store from the game and they never replied, even if it's an issue that should make it easier for them to get some money, assuming they get a cut from those purchases.

Sorry, I was talking about years (2004-ish) ago when SNKPUSA and Ignition did the pub work in the US/EU, should have specified that. And yeah, Rising Star is a ghost town. I don't even think their forums are secure. :/

Ignition US tried really hard to whip SNKP's ass into shape during the KOFXII meltdown, but they weren't interested at all, they sent it out to die.

Professor
3494th Post

MMCafe Owner

"SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Tue 22 May 23:18:post reply

For reposting, please link to/use the top page, there's more info there.

SNKPlaymore has announced a new Fatal Fury title. Unfortunately, it's another Pachislot machine. Gamers are of course pissed that it's not a new fighting game title.

Sales Reference
Teaser page
Small Screenshots

Grrrr, another pachislot... oh wait holy crap, Krauser is rendered in 3D!

I think the illustrator is Hiroaki? Looks like so.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 23 May 00:10]

sibarraz
425th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 00:53post reply

quote:
For reposting, please link to/use the top page, there's more info there.

SNKPlaymore has announced a new Fatal Fury title. Unfortunately, it's another Pachislot machine. Gamers are of course pissed that it's not a new fighting game title.

Sales Reference
Teaser page
Small Screenshots

Grrrr, another pachislot... oh wait holy crap, Krauser is rendered in 3D!

The artwork and the renders looks really cool, specially since at least the art looks a bit like the old SNK games

the real kap
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 01:08post reply

quote:

Yeah, that's Hiroaki. Luckily it doesn't resemble the rushed artwork that was in 02UM.

Loona
572th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 01:46post reply

Interesting, this pic has some new-looking grunt character designs, probably for some mini bonus game, and this one has what appears to be that Alice girls that shows up in at least on other pachinko or DoM game, along with another longer-haired blonde can't recognize...

FF turns 20 this year, right? Those 3D models and artwork look good, I hope we'll see them put to better use for something special soon enough...

Ishmael
4385th Post

"Re(2):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 01:46post reply

quote:

Yeah, that's Hiroaki. Luckily it doesn't resemble the rushed artwork that was in 02UM.

Unluckily it's for a pachislot game.

While I always wanted the Garou series to continue I didn't imagine I would end up with this monkey's paw twist. Oh well, perhaps there will be a few Nico videos worth watching or maybe a nice guide book?

chazumaru
869th Post

"Re(1):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 01:57:post reply

quote:
Gamers are of course pissed that it's not a new fighting game title.

Judging from the 3D assets shown in the flyer's screenshots, I am not sure I would want them to make a game out of this project... but the artworks are nice.

Everyone everywhere everytime should just relax and play Real Bout 2.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 23 May 01:59]

mbisonhatclub
497th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 02:09post reply

quote:
Pachislot game

Professor
3494th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 03:42post reply

quote:
Interesting, this pic has some new-looking grunt character designs, probably for some mini bonus game, and this one has what appears to be that Alice girls that shows up in at least on other pachinko or DoM game, along with another longer-haired blonde can't recognize...

FF turns 20 this year, right? Those 3D models and artwork look good, I hope we'll see them put to better use for something special soon enough...

FF turned 20 last November or December. AOF will turn 20 this September... hopefully I'll have the SNK voice actor list up by then.

quote:

And Real Bout 1, too! (Not RBS.)

the real kap
22th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 03:49post reply

quote:

karasu99
932th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(3):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 05:06post reply

quote:
hopefully I'll have the SNK voice actor list up by then.

AWESOME! Looking forward to it Professor! I have to admit, there was a heartbeat moment there when I read the post that I actually believed it might be a new fighting game before getting to the pachislot part. Oh well! I will get back to playing Dominated Mind. Maybe the soundtrack will be pretty decent?

www.secret-arts.com

sibarraz
426th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 05:54post reply

quote:

FF turned 20 last November or December. AOF will turn 20 this September... hopefully I'll have the SNK voice actor list up by then.

Nobody likes special it seems, at least for the RB series, for me will be 2, maybe 1 and far away Special

shindekudasai
391th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 06:46post reply

Why no love for Special? That was my favorite Real Bout.

karasu99
934th Post

"Re(5):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 09:46post reply

quote:

Don't worry, it's probably my favorite too. Tung was much better in Special than in 2, and the brightness of all the colors was much nicer to look at.

www.secret-arts.com

Toxico
5639th Post

"Re(5):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 10:06post reply

quote:

Because a single jab leads to 90% damage and balance is crap and the flow of the game is stupid?? Unlike RB1 & RB2 is totally unfriendly when it comes to VS games, further proof is that most people that support the game either aren't at all into competitive playing or can't touch a game unless it's as broken as that.

Within the regular Garou Densetsu crew RBS is always seen as that nasty black sheep of the family that it's not supposed to be there. In fact I even always thought of it as "SNK's Marvel" (is that bad). Then LB2 came out and took the title away, but that's another story.

Aside RB1 and RB2 the game that truly deserves loves is -obviously- the original 93' Special.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

sibarraz
427th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 10:48post reply

quote:

Because a single jab leads to 90% damage and balance is crap and the flow of the game is stupid?? Unlike RB1 & RB2 is totally unfriendly when it comes to VS games, further proof is that most people that support the game either aren't at all into competitive playing or can't touch a game unless it's as broken as that.

Within the regular Garou Densetsu crew RBS is always seen as that nasty black sheep of the family that it's not supposed to be there. In fact I even always thought of it as "SNK's Marvel" (is that bad). Then LB2 came out and took the title away, but that's another story.

Aside RB1 and RB2 the game that truly deserves loves is -obviously- the original 93' Special.

93 special must be my favorite FF, too bad that I friggin hate the juubei and kim matchups, but oh well, it's sad that the XBLA version wasn't that good, I hope to see it one day on neo geo station

Talking about it, will SNKP release more games there?

red falcon
6113th Post

PSN: Rugalbgood
XBL: RugalBGood
Wii: Doesitmatter?

"Re(6):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 12:01post reply

quote:

There is nothing better than dick punching tick throw setups!

Professor
3496th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 21:32:post reply

shindekudasai:
RBS was good for entertainment, but it had some serious issues in terms of balance and ambiguous setups using the planes/lines. Most people I saw were playing 1P mode only. Come to think, RBS was probably the last game that I played at Gamest's arcade back when the magazine was still alive... so yeah, I do have fond memories of it. But for vs humans, I'd prefer RBFF.

Man, it's like SNKP just chickened out from NeoGeoStation thinking that additional releases might effect KOF13 sales.

BTW, has anyone ever played the SNES/SFC version of Fatal Fury Special? Jubei was completely broken in that game with his 'Anywhere Izuna Throw'.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 23 May 21:36]

the real kap
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Wed 23 May 21:50post reply

quote:

Man, it's like SNKP just chickened out from NeoGeoStation thinking that additional releases might effect KOF13 sales.

Or too stubborn in thinking that charging 10 dollars for old arcade games that don't even have arranged soundtracks while you can get new and bigger PSN games for the same price doesn't hurt them.

Professor
3497th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Mixup night Tournament on 26th" , posted Wed 23 May 23:46:post reply

That lord awful Godsgarden-sponsored KOF13 tournament back in early April named "Mixup Night" is happening again on May 26, right after the deadline for EVO's signup. Last time, the players were pretty bad and winning with random moves.

Will it be as bad as last time? Probably, since the event is more StreetFighter oriented. However, word is that Haitani (2nd place winner from last time) is getting private lessons from top KOF player Kaoru, so it might end up interesting if he's there again.

http://mixupnight.info/archives/186
http://www.twitch.tv/mixupnight

And on a totally unrelated note, Here's Xiangfei in a Dokimajo outfit (that NDS game where you touch girls).
This is official art from SNKP's card game.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 24 May 01:27]

Toxico
5642th Post

"Re(8):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Thu 24 May 01:00:post reply

quote:

I thought that NeoGeoStation was by somebody else? That still doesn't explain why they have temporarily(?) stopped.... Maybe they'll stop it in order to support more the new portable? that would be unnecessary and kinda gay.

quote:

BTW, has anyone ever played the SNES/SFC version of Fatal Fury Special? Jubei was completely broken in that game with his 'Anywhere Izuna Throw'.

That "hold D button for 4 seconds for a special move" issue was fixed / taken out for international release. You could do a code to switch the game to the jp version, and that had that thing as well, but doing so wasn't popular.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 24 May 07:29]

karasu99
936th Post

"Re(9):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Thu 24 May 03:45post reply

Did I magically miss someone's mention of the new SNK High School Collection for Mobage? It's good to see SNKP keeping it classy with products featuring their IPs.

www.secret-arts.com

badoor
271th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: PSVITA:BadoorUSA

Copper Customer

"Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Thu 24 May 07:26post reply

I don't know but I'm compelled to share this after all the talk about broken FF games. It's a fun game if any of you haven't tried it. And clearly it's made by SNK fans.

Now I still would love to see a new FF. I don't know how that can be I guess "marketed" or such. In a way, KOF is FF + more franchises. So basing you're next game as FF, which is "less" than KOF is probably a harder sell.

Toxico
5642th Post

"Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Thu 24 May 07:31post reply

quote:

Nishinippori Versus just announced that their team events for KoF XIII are going to be held in weekly basis every Saturday. This is a great relief for some, since after missing one or two weeks, I already thought that they were ditching the events to irregular basis, like they did with 94, 95, 96, 00 & XI

I have to correct myself, Nishinippori never took a break from XIII, is just that their stream site was late to the thing. Also, some of the member of Nishinippori are promoting a 6/23 tournament... Is that the ratio one?

quote:
Did I magically miss someone's mention of the new SNK High School Collection for Mobage? It's good to see SNKP keeping it classy with products featuring their IPs.

If you call "keeping classy" dressing the girls that work for you as lolis, and throw them at hungry salary men so that they can burn their cash in them and have their fun, then sure...

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Professor
3497th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachislot" , posted Thu 24 May 17:45post reply

quote:

I can't figure out who this is!

Loona
573th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachi" , posted Thu 24 May 19:33post reply

quote:

Looks like King to me - with the highschool theme, having her work on pastry seems more acceptable than the usual booze.
but if they're keeping some age theme, probably Lilly Kane.

Toxico
5644th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachi" , posted Fri 25 May 02:32post reply

quote:

It can't be King because the hair is long.

From my mental database of girls that have long blonde hair tied with a blue straps we have Charlotte and Hinako. That expression doesn't kinda fit Hinako and I figured she was a dog lover or something. If it's supposed to be french pastries then it might fit?

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

kofoguz
989th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachi" , posted Fri 25 May 04:26post reply

quote:

It can't be King because the hair is long.

From my mental database of girls that have long blonde hair tied with a blue straps we have Charlotte and Hinako. That expression doesn't kinda fit Hinako and I figured she was a dog lover or something. If it's supposed to be french pastries then it might fit?

The hair is short it looks like long and have ribbon but it belongs to kitchen abron. It's probably King.

chazumaru
869th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachi" , posted Fri 25 May 05:33post reply

It can't be King! King would wear a boy uniform, obviously.
Nice to see that May Lee and Angel were not completely buried along with everything else involved in the Eolith parenthesis.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

red falcon
6114th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachi" , posted Fri 25 May 11:12post reply

It's King for sure. As somebody else pointed out, the ribbon is from the apron... Plus, she's making pastries. All French people have mastery over the art of pastries.

Evil_Yagami
34th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachi" , posted Sat 26 May 01:24post reply

Here are some videos and images about the new Fatal Fury Pachi ! I would like to see this graphics in a real game !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgTg-bHdIuM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmzUcMmGUGw&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7HjKA2_YE&feature=related

http://www.pachinko-club.com/news/3410

http://hissho-bon.jp/information/gyokainews/4338/

http://www.pachinkovista.com/SNS/?module=USR_BLOG&action=BlogDetail&UserEntryID=14720&blog_id=26036

sibarraz
429th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachi" , posted Sun 27 May 23:54post reply

quote:
Here are some videos and images about the new Fatal Fury Pachi ! I would like to see this graphics in a real game !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgTg-bHdIuM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmzUcMmGUGw&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7HjKA2_YE&feature=related

http://www.pachinko-club.com/news/3410

http://hissho-bon.jp/information/gyokainews/4338/

http://www.pachinkovista.com/SNS/?module=USR_BLOG&action=BlogDetail&UserEntryID=14720&blog_id=26036

Judging a bit the google translator, it seems like this is a big pachi for SNK, and who is daiichi? Is a big company? How this will help SNK?

Professor
3499th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachi" , posted Mon 28 May 22:27:post reply

Daiichi is a Pachislot maker. The two companies are collaborating on this project.

Apparently, Daiichi had an incident in the past where their machines combusted. So people are joking that it'll burn into flames regardless of whether Billy appears on the screen or not.

Man, Someone took a Freaking one-hour video. Raiden's theme is nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeMHV6H_nLk

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 28 May 23:51]

Toxico
5646th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachi" , posted Tue 29 May 02:30post reply

Dune did a little bit of a bug report - Nico . He'll probably cast about it on elive?

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

the real kap
24th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pachi" , posted Tue 29 May 07:26post reply

quote:

Man, Someone took a Freaking one-hour video. Raiden's theme is nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeMHV6H_nLk

Yeah, so is Yamazaki's sped up theme. :) The 3D models remind me of the ones in the Maximum Impact 2 intro, probably done by the same animation studio, right?

Gieflos
81th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fury Pach" , posted Tue 29 May 09:15post reply

Man, seeing some of that CG makes me want a Garou Musou! I'm not so familiar with Pachislot but it looked like some segments rely more on timing than chance. Is this correct?

badoor
272th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: PSVITA:BadoorUSA

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fur" , posted Tue 29 May 11:56post reply

I can't recognize Geese's theme. Is that a vocal version of an old song?

The characters kinda look like the CG intro from Maximum Impact. They could probably have used those designs as template, the none-Falcoon ones of course.

TheRedKnight
356th Post

PSN: yes
XBL: no
Wii: no

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fur" , posted Tue 29 May 20:21post reply

Can someone point out all the differences between Real Bout Garou Densetsu and Real Bout Fatal Fury? I think I might have stumbled on something interesting..

Waw!? And now what's going on!? Toh Shin Den is about to present to you a super hot virtual battle like one that you've never seen before at a rate of 90000 polygons per second!

the real kap
25th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fur" , posted Wed 30 May 01:21post reply

quote:
Can someone point out all the differences between Real Bout Garou Densetsu and Real Bout Fatal Fury? I think I might have stumbled on something interesting..

Not likely that there are major differences, don't keep us in suspense for so long! :(

TheRedKnight
357th Post

PSN: yes
XBL: no
Wii: no

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fur" , posted Wed 30 May 02:41post reply

quote:

Not likely that there are major differences, don't keep us in suspense for so long! :(

Oh, it's nothing more than a curiosity in the Saturn release of the game. On my modded Saturn, I can turn the game into the (unreleased) american version. Even the title screen says "(C) 1995 SNK CORP. OF AMERICA" but I want to know what else is different in the english version. The blood is still there..

Waw!? And now what's going on!? Toh Shin Den is about to present to you a super hot virtual battle like one that you've never seen before at a rate of 90000 polygons per second!

sibarraz
430th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fur" , posted Wed 30 May 20:41post reply

KOF CLIMAX finally arrives in my city

Is an special machine with full sanwa parts and even headphones output

The only problem is that since the panel is diagonal, people are not very used to it, but the good news is that the cabinet has 6 buttons, so maybe we could had the option to select the layout forour buttons, even though maybe will be a problem since we play

AB
CD

Instead of

AC
BD

So maybe instead of BCD we will had CBD
A A

But well, I got forced to play the ''chilean layout'' so I could play 98um on that arcade and avoid changing buttons while playing with friends

Sparkster
8th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fur" , posted Tue 5 Jun 06:40post reply

quote:

The only problem is that since the panel is diagonal, people are not very used to it, but the good news is that the cabinet has 6 buttons, so maybe we could had the option to select the layout forour buttons, even though maybe will be a problem since we play

AB
CD

Instead of

AC
BD

A A

But well, I got forced to play the ''chilean layout'' so I could play 98um on that arcade and avoid changing buttons while playing with friends

Is it the physical button layout that's giving you trouble? You can go into the Taito settings and manually recalibrate the buttons if it would help, though you'd probably need to talk to the arcade owner to see how to get into the dip switches to do that.

sibarraz
440th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):SNK unveils New Fatal Fur" , posted Tue 5 Jun 08:25:post reply

quote:

AB
CD

Instead of

AC
BD

A A

Is it the physical button layout that's giving you trouble? You can go into the Taito settings and manually recalibrate the buttons if it would help, though you'd probably need to talk to the arcade owner to see how to get into the dip switches to do that.

I don'thad that problem anymore since I got used to that layout

A funny story, the first local to bring KOF XIII 1.1 had the game with the AC layout, but people
BD

were bitching to bring back the chilean layout since that was more ''snk-esque'' according to them

Oh well, I lost any hope to see something related to SNK in this E3, I still lol at that brief and random mention that KOF XII got in the conference that sony gave like 2 or 3 years ago

[this message was edited by sibarraz on Tue 5 Jun 08:28]

Loona
579th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Man of Still?..." , posted Wed 6 Jun 00:02post reply

This is mostly unrelated to recent discussions, but it's been ticking around my head for a while, and my attempts at research haven't been to fruitful, so maybe the collective memories of the Cafe can help.

We've all seen how recent official sources have listed Clark's family name as "Still", when it's mentioned at all, but has there ever been one that actually romanized the name as "Steel", or has that been fan interpretation of the name written in katakana?
If there's actual material with the name written that way, it might only apply to earlier games, but I'm not sure how early.

If there's more than one official way of spelling way (there's at least a couple of official sources spelling Liz's name differently), I'd feel OK about picking a favorite, at least, while having to stick with Still for lack of an alternative would be sort of acceptable, if weird.

Curiously, while running a search, I found there's actually a company called Clark Steel, which may have motivated a change of official spelling, if there ever was an official spelling of it as Steel - there's a precedent of SNKP backtracking on an official name, like stopping the use of "Kaphwan" in Kim's name, but the older games still have it, so it's viable for fans to still use that, even if SNKP no longer does.

Olivier Hague
166th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Man of Still?..." , posted Thu 7 Jun 09:21post reply

quote:
We've all seen how recent official sources have listed Clark's family name as "Still", when it's mentioned at all, but has there ever been one that actually romanized the name as "Steel", or has that been fan interpretation of the name written in katakana?

For what it's worth, the kana spelling is "sutiru", and it makes the name "Still" sound considerably more likely than "Steel" to me (I think I've always seen the English word "steel" written/pronounced as "sutiiru", with a long "i" sound).
Now, maybe SNK changed the kana spelling at some point, but...

Toxico
5652th Post

"Re(2):Man of Still?..." , posted Thu 7 Jun 13:27post reply

quote:
For what it's worth, the kana spelling is "sutiru", and it makes the name "Still" sound considerably more likely than "Steel" to me (I think I've always seen the English word "steel" written/pronounced as "sutiiru", with a long "i" sound).

Well, dictionary wise "Steel" [ スチール ] can also be spelled as "Still", though I think it's not usual. 'Stil' [ スティル ] is also not frequent, I think. Supposedly there is this Stilton blue cheese that is spelled as [ スティルトン ]

quote:

Now, maybe SNK changed the kana spelling at some point, but...

I tried searching about this, obviously the ideal thing would be to go through some old artbooks or art galleries for the game and check how his last name is spelled.... But since I couldn't do anything of that in the like 5 minutes that I wanted to spend with google, I resorted to the next best thing, and that was trying to search databases from the pre bankruptcy era (in japanese, of course)... And, also in a quick search, I couldn't find any evidence nor mention of Clark getting his name "re-katakanized" or something.

I actually didn't posted about this since the search I did was just too shallow, but personally I think that just maybe, the whole change on the eng spelling of the name might be related to how SNK switched the translation crew that they use and thus they are interpreting things differently, while the japanese スティル was always there.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Loona
586th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Man of Still?..." , posted Sat 9 Jun 11:53post reply

KoF is on at MLG

mbisonhatclub
499th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Man of Still?..." , posted Sat 9 Jun 15:54post reply

quote:
KoF is on at MLG

Arturo (Sabin on this BBS) said how this is most likely going to be the last KOF tourney at MLG, so it looks like the people there are just trying to give it a really nice celebratory send off so it goes out with a bang rather than a small buzz. And man, did you see the Tokido vs Romance match? That was INSANE.

Loona
587th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Man of Still?..." , posted Sun 10 Jun 01:30post reply

quote:
KoF is on at MLG
Arturo (Sabin on this BBS) said how this is most likely going to be the last KOF tourney at MLG, so it looks like the people there are just trying to give it a really nice celebratory send off so it goes out with a bang rather than a small buzz.

Yet they learned nothing from last time - realy long intermissions with nothing going on on screen, sponsored moment of the match section without replays, no tweaks in the schedule to make it more viable for the international audience the game is known to have. Anda a few clown just showing up and making fools of themselves to promote their online presences usually more associated with other games, which I guess pads the numbers a bit, but doesn't actually help.

quote:
And man, did you see the Tokido vs Romance match? That was INSANE.

It was great - it was also, however, about 5 a.m. or something over here. I managed to watch all of that one, especially that messed-up end, but i was struggling to stay awake for most of the lated matches, that'll teach me to try and watch these things live after a day of work...

Professor
3500th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Man of Still?..." , posted Sun 10 Jun 03:44:post reply

Man, Romance vs Tokido was really hot. Replays can be seen from the official site and it apparently also got mirrored to Nico for the JP audience - Nico.

The long intermissions... I'm assuming they're commercial breaks for broacasts on other medias? Not too sure. Looking forward to tomorrow too. I wonder how many entrees they had by closing, it'd be a pity if this were the last.

Loona: Couldn't find "Steel" written on anything official, although I did indeed find these amusing fanmade translations for a trading card series.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 10 Jun 03:52]

red falcon
6117th Post

"Re(7):Man of Still?..." , posted Sun 10 Jun 06:07post reply

quote:

Loona: Couldn't find "Steel" written on anything official, although I did indeed find these amusing fanmade translations for a trading card series.

Out of curiosity, I checked a bunch of old US home cart and neo CD manuals, and he's always just "Clark".

Loona
589th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Man of Still?..." , posted Sun 10 Jun 07:23:post reply

quote:
The long intermissions... I'm assuming they're commercial breaks for broacasts on other medias? Not too sure. Looking forward to tomorrow too. I wonder how many entrees they had by closing, it'd be a pity if this were the last.

The attandance was higher than last time, around 30ish so I read.
As for the intermissions, most of it was just logo screens, crowd shots and empty chairs while music played - there were occasional interviews, but those were pretty short when compared to all the dead airtime.

It wouldn't have been too hard to fill all that time with _something_, complain as they may that they were limited by number of competitors - they could have replays, comparing stats of things like which players lost the fewers characters (easy mode) to wasted HD mode activations (medium difficulty) or rations of used normals, command moves, throws, specials, supers and NeoMAXs and EX counterparts when applicable (hard mode) - a lot of actual sports broadcasts have been doing that sort of thing for years now.

I can't believe everyone needed to go eat or use the bathroom or something all at the same time to justify the way this was handled, especially after last time, and especially when they charge 20 bucks for a slightly improved broadcast.

When this is done I'll just ease my Twitter's load by removing Arturo and the MLG fighter results feeds, I hoped for too much, apparently - on the other hand, it won't be stuffed with so much SF game hyping and community name-dropping. Sometimes it seems like he's trying to do Seth Killian's job instead of his own.

Thanks for the info on those cards - Still it is, it seems.

[this message was edited by Loona on Sun 10 Jun 07:42]

sibarraz
441th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Man of Still?..." , posted Sun 10 Jun 07:36post reply

KOF had a hard time, since lots of the KOF usa players seems to be guys who just play kof as a secondary game, so they will never spend the big amounts of money that cost to enter MLG. Unlike SC which seems to be a game where players are more devoted to the game than play lots of them, same with MK (thou explaining why maybe in FGC tournies KOF has more entries than this 2 games)

The format doesn't help either, so is a lose lose situation

Crountine
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):Man of Still?..." , posted Mon 11 Jun 17:52post reply

I think devoted KOF players are a little older than the average FG player, and adults with jobs can hardly take a Friday off whenever they want.

sibarraz
443th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Man of Still?..." , posted Wed 20 Jun 04:08post reply

So yeah, EVO will star in 3 more weeks, there is a confirmed list of japanese players who will attend

At this point the only ones who could beat bala are the tops guys from japan, and this is without being 100% sure aboutit

Loona
591th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Hope" , posted Thu 21 Jun 02:15post reply

MLG is giving KoF another chance - a side tournament, but on a saturday, with no entry fees; now there's really no excuse for anyone in the vicinity not to attend.
I really hope this works out and help MLG adjust their handling of the game to keep it around.

mbisonhatclub
500th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Hope" , posted Thu 21 Jun 07:08post reply

quote:
MLG is giving KoF another chance - a side tournament, but on a saturday, with no entry fees; now there's really no excuse for anyone in the vicinity not to attend.
I really hope this works out and help MLG adjust their handling of the game to keep it around.

Since it's a side tourney, it's not gonna be officially handled by the rest of the MLG staff, but I have faith that MLG Carlos will probably try and get things running in the fashion that people "not in esports" would like to see. Still have to pay the MLG venue fee, but yes, people in Dallas have no excuse otherwise.

I kinda would have liked to see it in Raleigh because then I could actually attend it, but I guess there's already too much reason to not do it that day.

Professor
3502th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Hope" , posted Sat 23 Jun 14:03:post reply

Carlos of MLG is really something for throwing his own hard worked cash to keep the title in the Circuit.

On a different note, Japan will be getting its first Ratio-rule tournament for KOF13 Climax today at 3PM JST.. which is just an hour from now. There's also going to be a standard rule tournament tomorrow starting on the same time. Both will be streamed.

Today's ratio tournament:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv97392347

changed to http://live.nicovideo.jp/gate/lv97864113 starts at 3:30

Tomorrow's tournament:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv97392669

Try refreshing if the stream window doesn't show up during the event hours.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 23 Jun 15:19]

Professor
3502th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Interview with JP player Kaoru" , posted Wed 4 Jul 20:16post reply

Japan's KOF player Kaoru is known a bit to be on the wild side, but I helped conduct and translate a pre-EVO interview with him. The article can be read here.

I swear he's holding back a lot though, he's not normally like this. Just a few weeks back he was Tweeting how he wants "to Execute everyone at Evo, Japanese and Foreigners alike".

Anyhoos Kaoru's basically considered the top best player in West Japan, whereas Dune's considered that of the East Japan. The two's never really played each other and EVO could've been the opportunity, but stuff happened with Dune's sponsor and he's not going. Pity that.

sibarraz
445th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Interview with JP player Kaoru" , posted Thu 5 Jul 05:06post reply

quote:
Japan's KOF player Kaoru is known a bit to be on the wild side, but I helped conduct and translate a pre-EVO interview with him. The article can be read here.

I swear he's holding back a lot though, he's not normally like this. Just a few weeks back he was Tweeting how he wants "to Execute everyone at Evo, Japanese and Foreigners alike".

Anyhoos Kaoru's basically considered the top best player in West Japan, whereas Dune's considered that of the East Japan. The two's never really played each other and EVO could've been the opportunity, but stuff happened with Dune's sponsor and he's not going. Pity that.

To be fair, humans are like fearless word trashing beings when they are on twitter or fb, writing without thinking that much, unlike an interview where he must ooks more gentle if we doesn't want to look like a demented guy who takes games too seriously and overall is jerk

Not saying that kaoru is something like that, but if you are a bit high of yourself on an interview, you can rub some people in the bad way

Professor
3503th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Interview with JP player Kaoru" , posted Thu 5 Jul 12:39post reply

quote:
To be fair, humans are like fearless word trashing beings when they are on twitter or fb, writing without thinking that much, unlike an interview where he must ooks more gentle if we doesn't want to look like a demented guy who takes games too seriously and overall is jerk

Not saying that kaoru is something like that, but if you are a bit high of yourself on an interview, you can rub some people in the bad way

That's true. Thing is though, he's said crazy things in the past on camera including SBO, so I was sort of expecting him to go about the same. It's good to see that he's.. well, normal. In that sense.

sibarraz
447th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Interview with JP player Kaoru" , posted Thu 5 Jul 22:34post reply

quote:

That's true. Thing is though, he's said crazy things in the past on camera including SBO, so I was sort of expecting him to go about the same. It's good to see that he's.. well, normal. In that sense.

Maybe he is being cautious since he really doesn't know how well he will do there

At this point, I don't know if EVO will be a one sided tournament for bala or someone else from an asian (or maybe south american) country will take the prize, the good thing is that kaoru is actually a kof XIII player 100% unlike tokido or mago, at this point I don't know what to expect about xiaohai since he at SS didn't seem to dominate XIII that much

Btw, chilean player and friend zeroblack defeated mago in a money match, I had some hope for him at evo, but at the least runback he was very nervous and was defeated by bala and romance

I couldn't watch since I had a very important exam the next day after evo : (

Ishmael
4407th Post

"Re(1):Interview with JP player Kaoru" , posted Fri 6 Jul 09:21post reply

quote:

Nice interview! There are so many stories to follow that watching Evo is going to be like watching the Olympics. Well, the Olympics if there was no physical activity whatsoever from the participants.

GekigangerV
1758th Post

XBL: gekijmo5

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Fri 6 Jul 13:04post reply

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

Sabin's got it going now if you are up to watch it.

Professor
3506th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Fri 6 Jul 20:44:post reply

quote:
http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

Sabin's got it going now if you are up to watch it.

Also on another stream http://www.twitch.tv/hellpockets , Kaoru was wreaking Havoc on Mr.KOF in money matches.... People were starting to call him Mr.ATM.

Vids-
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18278547 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18279091 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18279161 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18279365 - Nico

Things are definitely starting to look interesting. Evo is starting in just a few more hours!

http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo1
http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo2 -This should be KOF13
http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo3

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 6 Jul 21:26]

Zepy
1583th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Fri 6 Jul 23:49post reply

Kaoru is crazy stuff!

Also I didn't even know Kyabetsu was back in the kof scene again, he probably hasn't played much at all, i wonder how he'll fare at Evo.

Haitani will probably pull off some weird moves and beat everybody.

Professor
3507th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Sat 7 Jul 18:11post reply

This thread's getting long so I've posted a recap & results of day 1 at the Evo thread.

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13354.shtml#61341

Loona
602th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Wed 11 Jul 20:45post reply

Hope fully the thread's not so long that it can't handle this - I just found that snk-capcom.com posted a pre-EVO 2012 interview with SNKP's Kei Yamamoto.
Covers character they wanted to add but couldn't (Adeleid, Oswald and Malin),branching out into other game genres (specifically mentioned a new free-to-play Metal Slug game in the works), and a possible new crossover with Capcom or other companies if there's enough demand.

Now I'd really like to see a post-EVO interview, especially after this.

Professor
3511th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Tiers from the Evo players" , posted Fri 13 Jul 20:02post reply

This is pretty interesting-- Zerpin from Evo evidently went around asking the top players about the top and bottom tier characters in KOF and he's listed them by players on his Twitter. Xiaohai and Dakou, sort of expected, don't have anyone to train with.

Baines
322th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Sat 14 Jul 03:06post reply

quote:
Hope fully the thread's not so long that it can't handle this - I just found that snk-capcom.com posted a pre-EVO 2012 interview with SNKP's Kei Yamamoto.
Covers character they wanted to add but couldn't (Adeleid, Oswald and Malin),branching out into other game genres (specifically mentioned a new free-to-play Metal Slug game in the works), and a possible new crossover with Capcom or other companies if there's enough demand.

Is there really any demand for an SNK vs Capcom sequel? Capcom vs SNK, yes. SNK vs Capcom Cardfighters, maybe. But I recall SNK vs Capcom itself being rather unloved, and not exactly garnering many fond memories, much less many SNK and Capcom fans "dying for a sequel".

Loona
603th Post

"Re(6):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Sat 14 Jul 03:57post reply

quote:
Is there really any demand for an SNK vs Capcom sequel? Capcom vs SNK, yes. SNK vs Capcom Cardfighters, maybe. But I recall SNK vs Capcom itself being rather unloved, and not exactly garnering many fond memories, much less many SNK and Capcom fans "dying for a sequel".

Arcade-sized sequel to the NGPC SvC with maybe a couple of new characters on each side, maybe replacing Evil Ryu's unlockable beam super, having all moves nlocked in versus mode, that would be more than enough.

Phoenix
945th Post

"Re(7):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Sat 14 Jul 05:36post reply

quote:

KOF XIII style SVC2 > SF4 style CVS3

mbisonhatclub
506th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Sat 14 Jul 09:08post reply

quote:
KOF XIII style SVC2 > SF4 style CVS3
I agree with this, but realistically speaking, it would take at least a couple of years to generate the Capcom side of the roster for SNK, and maybe another year to put in a few fresh SNK characters not already in KOFXIII (because we know that shortcutting is imminent).

And the question is, especially to Ono: how would a deal like this benefit SNK in the long run? With SNK remaining in Capcom's constant shadow, a new SvC may be awesome gameplay-wise. Call me cynical (because at this point, I am), but any kind of attention will automatically funnel toward a Capcom game, and Capcom will be the company in control of the other here simply due to its popularity, and it will dictate the direction of things moreso than not, and we'll probably see another round of Capcom characters dominating everything, and SNK characters present simply as a novelty rather than a blessing, and you'll still see barrages of Ryus and Kens and Sagats and Akumas, while blowing off the potential SvC2's existence even if it turns out to be a legit game.

So again, especially to Yoshinori Ono, not that he'd ever read this: how would this kind of deal benefit SNK as well as Capcom, and no less than?

Iggy
9352th Post

"Re(9):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Sat 14 Jul 20:10post reply

quote:
So again, especially to Yoshinori Ono, not that he'd ever read this: how would this kind of deal benefit SNK as well as Capcom, and no less than?

I think you're taking the issue from the wrong angle: at that point, SNKP's IP are even less popular than Arc Sys's. KOF has withered into Arcana Heart's level of relevance. What would Capcom earn from middling in such a low level crossover ?
It's not even like Tatsunoko vs Capcom, where at least the Tatsunoko has a legit claim at nostalgia : SNKP has shrunk its own IP so much that they would first need to rebuild its franchises, rekindle nostalgia amongst a public that would be wider than a few thousand people worldwide, and then be a realistic partner from a structure point of view.
As they stand now, I don't think SNKP would be even worthwile a guest slot in Capcom vs Sega vs Namcobandai. Barely a guest appearance as a lolibait in Neptune whatever.
Anyway, hasn't the whole R&D team been sacked after KOF13 ?

mbisonhatclub
508th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Sun 15 Jul 04:50:post reply

quote:
I think you're taking the issue from the wrong angle: at that point, SNKP's IP are even less popular than Arc Sys's. KOF has withered into Arcana Heart's level of relevance. What would Capcom earn from middling in such a low level crossover ?
Iiiiiii don't really care what Capcom gets out of it, their head honchos already pocket enough money out of the registers as it is while trying to grab more money from its willing customers. They're not the one in dire straits so really, I couldn't give any less of a fuck for them than I already do. Which is way less than 0.

To edit this in so I'm more clear, I understand it may not be the logical angle, but it's the only angle that matters to me personally.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Besides, look at SFxTekken

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by mbisonhatclub on Sun 15 Jul 05:22]

sibarraz
450th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Sun 15 Jul 05:21:post reply

quote:

It's not even like Tatsunoko vs Capcom, where at least the Tatsunoko has a legit claim at nostalgia : SNKP has shrunk its own IP so much that they would first need to rebuild its franchises, rekindle nostalgia amongst a public that would be wider than a few thousand people worldwide, and then be a realistic partner from a structure point of view.
As they stand now, I don't think SNKP would be even worthwile a guest slot in Capcom vs Sega vs Namcobandai. Barely a guest appearance as a lolibait in Neptune whatever.
Anyway, hasn't the whole R&D team been sacked after KOF13 ?

KOF still has a way bigger value than Guilty, Blazblue and Arcana Heart just for the mere fact than in the western, the brand is way more recognizable than any of those

Sure, those game wipe the IP in the arcade market, but in the end, this market is not as big compared to the console size of the shrunk, and I'm sure that a Capcom vs Snk is way more valuable than any other versus that Capcom could make. There is a good reason on why even though gg made tons of money, still a big chunk of people believe than between 2001 and 2009 there were no fighting games released ever

The reason why games like tatsunoko vs capcom or sxt flopped was because seriously, there were not many people ever claiming to see this match ups ever (MVC worked because it was a different time when fighting games were hot and you could pull something like that with another hot brand), but the ''snk is capcom rival'' will never die, it will not made big money but I'm sure that capcom could know how to exploit this more with an IP that at this point is more cheap than in 2000. Also there is the factor that there are still good memories of the originals cvs so those will be more likely to be welcomed

The only dream match that people will kill to see and could be a big money maker is mortal kombat vs street fighter

There is also the factor that kof has gained a good popularity after evo, I'm amazed to see how many people has bought the game after the finals. SNK is a blip in the radar, but still, they seem to be fine, and I'm sure that KOF XIII made them enough money to at least see them as a viable reason to make money in the future, even though they will obviously focus more on the mobile phone market right now

[this message was edited by sibarraz on Sun 15 Jul 05:27]

Loona
604th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Mon 16 Jul 08:42post reply

Tekken's a rather high-profile name in the FG world and so is Namco in the gaming world at large, if SFxT didn't do as well as Capcom hoped, I don't see them taking a risk on a smaller-profile crossover anytime soon, although the day when they at least bother to test the concept with a PSN/Xbox Live version of CvS2 is more than welcome.

Frankly, something like SNK and Sega might work best, in the sense that both have respected IPs that still don't have the mediatic impact of the stuff Capcom and Namco release.
Then again, both are also in the pachinko business, so there'd be the risk that a crossover would stick to that...

Baines
323th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Mon 16 Jul 09:26post reply

quote:
The reason why games like tatsunoko vs capcom or sxt flopped was because seriously, there were not many people ever claiming to see this match ups ever

Tatsunoko seemed to take a pretty big hit just for being on the "wrong" console.

Yes, crossing over with Tatsunoko didn't do the title any favors. Yes, crossing over with some other company would have likely have brought more people over. Yes, people ignored it because it wasn't Marvel or at least anyone else on a level with Marvel (or at least another popular fighting game series.)

But regardless of who the crossover was with, it lost players simply for being a Wii game. A crossover with Marvel or DC or SNK or others might have brought more players than Tatsunoko, but it still wouldn't have measured up to what a PS3/Xbox360 release could manage. Heck, Capcom knew it themselves, which is why the Wii got Tatsunoko (as arguably a throwaway trial run for a 3D tag fighter) and the PS360 got Marvel 3 and SNK vs Tekken.

Professor
3515th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Mon 16 Jul 10:30:post reply

quote:

Yeah they completely ignored taking care of their IP and its value is more or less on life support. It's not as dead as Arcana Heart at least in Japan, but I don't see it revitalizing either. The company's probably going to keep milking what's left, making mobile SNS games and Pachislots. A third KOF pachislot is coming out this fall.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 16 Jul 10:54]

Toxico
5667th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Pre-EVO Korea vs Mexico" , posted Wed 18 Jul 03:22:post reply

quote:
The company's probably going to keep milking what's left, making mobile SNS games and Pachislots. A third KOF pachislot is coming out this fall.

Exactly (sono toori de gozaimasu ) . People magically forget that the last "large sized game" that SNK produced from "the ground up" was in 2010, and after that they haven't even aimed to do anything else big (fitting well with the comment that the company was going to move away from the arcade game development into less risky developing platform formats, which led people to whine about them dropping arcade development which was also said for about at that time). We'll be lucky if we see an arcade KoF for it's 20th anniversary.

Coincidentally, SNK updated their blog after eons of inactivity... With "Sister Quest" news........ Well, the game at least has some CMs so maybe they are expecting some sort of return? I'll refrain from further commenting on this, of course

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Last update : Chapter 24 as of 15/06/12

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 18 Jul 03:24]

chazumaru
879th Post

"I was happy to see a SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Thu 19 Jul 01:36post reply

quote:
The only dream match that people will kill to see and could be a big money maker is mortal kombat vs street fighter

In the West, with the exception of a "Star Wars Vs. Lord of the Rings" kind of deal, this is true. As for Japan... I can't remember for sure: what happened to that Sammy x Capcom deal in the end? Was it ever officially killed? Or do they keep it in limbo like The Last Remnant's PS3 version?
... Crap I forgot to make a joke about The Last Remnant in the other thread.

One thing to maybe consider is that ASW has already worked with Capcom on the Basara fighting game and therefore produced at least a few 2D Capcom assets that they could use once again. At this stage, isn't it safer for Capcom to aim low budget and local market? It seems the Western market is suffering from a bit of a burnout.

I am very curious how Tekken Vs SF will be marketed and received. I am wondering if we are going to see a situation somehow similar to the second Ni No Kuni game that no one bought because they had enough with the DS version and could not see the value of spending more time in that concept.

quote:
Heck, Capcom knew it themselves, which is why the Wii got Tatsunoko (as arguably a throwaway trial run for a 3D tag fighter) and the PS360 got Marvel 3 and SNK vs Tekken.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

Baines
324th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):I was happy to see a SNK reference in H" , posted Thu 19 Jul 02:29post reply

quote:
SNK vs Tekken.

*laugh*

I didn't even notice that mistake. Hrm... Could be interesting. And doable. I remember liking Maximum Impact.

And I was happy to see the SNK reference in Hyouka too, even if the character was a kind of bad guy. (As bad as a non-villain school show gets.) I wonder if it was done for the anime itself, or if it came from the novel.

mbisonhatclub
508th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):I was happy to see a SNK reference in H" , posted Thu 19 Jul 08:52post reply

quote:
I am very curious how Tekken Vs SF will be marketed and received.
One thing's for sure, if Harada has his say in it, we won't have to pay for gameplay-relevant unlocks.

Toxico
5669th Post

"Re(2):I was happy to see a SNK reference in H" , posted Fri 20 Jul 03:16post reply

Hiroaki gets to set up a public exhibition (Famisu announcement). I guess he is moving up in the world.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Loona
607th Post

"Re(2):I was happy to see a SNK reference in H" , posted Fri 20 Jul 10:46post reply

quote:

And I was happy to see the SNK reference in Hyouka too, even if the character was a kind of bad guy. (As bad as a non-villain school show gets.) I wonder if it was done for the anime itself, or if it came from the novel.

I haven't seen a clip of that scene, though I saw a couple of screencaps of what looked like a Nakoruru cosplayer acting dickish - that reminds me of how the SNK wiki mentions that some drama CDs have Nakoruru acting like a delinquent in a few skits.

chazumaru
885th Post

"Re(3):I was happy to see a SNK reference in H" , posted Fri 20 Jul 19:16post reply

Yep, she's the one. No, I mean she's the one. Wait, not that one. No, no, no. That one!

Nekros
472th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):I was happy to see a SNK reference in H" , posted Fri 20 Jul 22:30post reply

quote:

I haven't seen a clip of that scene, though I saw a couple of screencaps of what looked like a Nakoruru cosplayer acting dickish - that reminds me of how the SNK wiki mentions that some drama CDs have Nakoruru acting like a delinquent in a few skits.

Is that because somethimes prevails her bad self (Purple costume/Rera in the games)?

Loona
610th Post

"Re(4):I was happy to see a SNK reference in H" , posted Sat 21 Jul 05:02post reply

quote:

Is that because somethimes prevails her bad self (Purple costume/Rera in the games)?

Maybe, but I figure it's mostly for contrast with her usual self: http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/Neo_Geo_DJ_Station_Special

chazumaru
888th Post

"Re(5):I was happy to see a SNK reference in H" , posted Sat 21 Jul 07:21post reply

Probably refering to the 草薙家 skit from the first Neo Geo DJ Station, in which "Nakoruru" plays the role of the 不良の姉 (delinquent big sister).

(And the caring mother is played by Choi Bounge...)

Baines
325th Post

Bronze Customer

"A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Mon 23 Jul 13:39post reply

The Nakoruru cosplayer in Hyouka is dressed as King in episode 14.

mbisonhatclub
509th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Mon 23 Jul 20:09post reply

quote:

Indeed she is.

Professor
3521th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Mon 23 Jul 21:36:post reply

quote:
Indeed she is.

Larger version here

Ok, so first it was Samurai Shodown, next it was Art of Fighting... so um, Fatal Fury in Ep15?
Damn the Kyoani staff must have a liking for SNK games.

[edit] also, last week's Nakoruru stuff

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 23 Jul 22:07]

chazumaru
890th Post

"Re(2):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Mon 23 Jul 21:40:post reply

I think there is still one last day remaining in the festival. I hope her third cosplay is either Mai, Xiangfei or B.Jenet. [edit] beaten by Prof by a few minutes...

Now that at least one mystery is solved regarding what the item switch would amount to, I hope the story does not disappoint with the whole Juumonji incident.

The other thing I checked at lunch break today is Toxico's recent rehost of a Quiz Daisousasen playthrough. The questions WERE FUCKING GREAT. I am really enjoying these way more than I expected. It completely changes my overall appreciation of quiz games. I am eager to get all three Quiz games on Neo geo next time I am in Japan. Is there also a playthrough of Quiz KOF on Niconico?

I'll check the ShinSamSpi Gamest VHS later. (Who the hell dislikes your vids? I noticed one negative vote each time...)

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Tue 24 Jul 06:48]

Baines
326th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Tue 24 Jul 01:45post reply

quote:
Ok, so first it was Samurai Shodown, next it was Art of Fighting... so um, Fatal Fury in Ep15?

I think the story arc is a three day festival, so that could mean one more outfit.

Blue Mary would give a Fatal Fury appearance and also make it three Harumi Ikoma characters. But Mary's outfit might not fit the character, who has chosen two characters who show a minimum of skin.

KTallguy
1404th Post

"Re(3):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Tue 24 Jul 03:26post reply

Loving the new Ramon/Tiger Mask Vid!

Loona
611th Post

"Re(4):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Tue 24 Jul 05:50post reply

quote:

Impeccable taste for classics confirmed!

I managed to watch a sub (brazillian, I think) of episodes 12 and 13 (only intended 12, but saw more "Nakoruru" in the next ep preview), and it's interesting thatthat character is most proeminent during a discussion about trying to measure a work's (they mostly discussed manga) quality, with the cosplaying character defending both the "test of time" and "individual tastes" views, while the girl from the protagonist quartet defended the notion of intrinsic quality even in work not widely known or lasting.

Might not mean much and be entirely unrelated to the choice of cosplays, but if there are still more episodes with SNK cosplay to go, it could get interesting to see how this develops.

How do I throw money at KyoAni to watch this legally in english to reward them for bothering with such references?

quote:

I think the story arc is a three day festival, so that could mean one more outfit.

Blue Mary would give a Fatal Fury appearance and also make it three Harumi Ikoma characters. But Mary's outfit might not fit the character, who has chosen two characters who show a minimum of skin.

Charlotte is also a Harumi Hikoma character who dresses conservatively; that King outfit has actually only been used in KoF games, so that game might already be represented, keeping stuff open for Yuri; if they want to be really obscure, number 3 can be Ai from NGBC which would fit better visually with the Vocaloid girls around her, and having her actually using a NeoGeo Pocket would be a nice touch.

Toxico
5673th Post

"Re(3):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Tue 24 Jul 05:51:post reply

quote:

I could be mistaken, but I always felt that SNK was pushing forwards Kansai business first (as in, the gave preference to people from that side of the world, or they scouted new talents, or they dedicated more time, money and budget to events there, etc). Granted, due to their current situation, it's being eons since they have truly made something like that, but there is the chance that they touched someone's heart with all that of dedication or something, right? I mean, it's KyoAni after all, not TokAni or something.

quote:

The other thing I checked at lunch break today is Toxico's recent rehost of a Quiz Daisousasen playthrough. The questions WERE FUCKING GREAT. I am really enjoying these way more than I expected. It completely changes my overall appreciation of quiz games. I am eager to get all three Quiz games on Neo geo next time I am in Japan. Is there also a playthrough of Quiz KOF on Niconico?

Well, there is one, but due to the nature of the game you are probably not going to see everything in a single go, thus having another one at hand can prove to be useful (both playthroughs are 4 parts in total, with each part lasting for about 15~20 mins).

There are some youtube exclusive playthroughs about the game, but they are pretty lame as they use a "always right" cheat, so it isn't exiting and you are missing animations--- Also, the one thing that I lament about the Quiz deal is that the second Neo & Geo quiz game (Meitantei Quiz something) doesn't have a nico playthrough.

quote:

I'll check the ShinSamSpi Gamest VHS later. (Who the hell dislikes your vids? I noticed one negative vote each time...)

According to youtube statistics, like 90% of the dislikes come from a single country (Italy, which doesn't has many individual viewers, ergo it's probably a single guy disliking everything).

As to why? Hell if I know. If I would stop by and look every time I piss off someone because I called them idiot I wouldn't have the energy to be my cute little self. There is also the "youtube psychology" factor, as some people dislike videos because "I'm better than the guy in the vids" or because "I don't get it" (it's japanese) or because "someone else is better than you" or "you attention whore" or whatever.

It's just better not thinking about it. And to be honest I'm personally not really interested on having tons of views and likes or whatever (uploading a video per day is actually detrimental to those, it's like a company trying to get a game per month or something).

quote:

She does have a "winter outfit" (zipped up aviator jacket + jeans), but we never really played with that. Also, I doubt that Harumi Ikoma is the criteria for the guises-- while that's a possibility, it's more likely that they are just going for popularity + recognizability (did I just created a word? ).

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 24 Jul 06:28]

chazumaru
890th Post

"Re(4):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Tue 24 Jul 06:51post reply

Italy? That is strange. My guess was rather someone from Japan who was somehow extremely annoyed that stuff from Nico would be re-hosted on Youtube. Maybe Robert Garcia is just pissed that everyone thinks he is south american.

quote:
Charlotte is also a Harumi Hikoma character who dresses conservatively; that King outfit has actually only been used in KoF games, so that game might already be represented, keeping stuff open for Yuri; if they want to be really obscure, number 3 can be Ai from NGBC which would fit better visually with the Vocaloid girls around her, and having her actually using a NeoGeo Pocket would be a nice touch.

The Hikoma hypothesis is interesting and if the manga-bu no sempai dresses as Mary in the third episode, we will definitely have to consider that either someone did their homework at Kyoani, or this is a direct nod to Hikoma. (Maybe she is involved in the series in some fashion?)

However, what is much more likely is that the third character will be a classic SNK character, in which case what makes the most sense is a Fatal Fury character. Mai is their direct equivalent (as the iconic female character of the original series) but maybe she will go for something less flashy. Either Mary for the Hikoma connection or Xiangfei because it's Xiangfei would be fine by me. I just hope it's not Athena...

Freeter
4564th Post

"Re(3):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Tue 24 Jul 15:18post reply

quote:

Cool, if SNKP is smart enough they'll hire them to do spritework for KOFXIV and use that K-On money so it won't take half a decade.

Professor
3521th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Are you OK?" , posted Wed 25 Jul 00:44post reply

New Terry figurine from Bandai, slated for release in Japan somewhere during November.

http://tamashii.jp/special/darts/kof/

Powa Gayzaa?

Baines
327th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Wed 25 Jul 05:32post reply

quote:
However, what is much more likely is that the third character will be a classic SNK character, in which case what makes the most sense is a Fatal Fury character. Mai is their direct equivalent (as the iconic female character of the original series) but maybe she will go for something less flashy. Either Mary for the Hikoma connection or Xiangfei because it's Xiangfei would be fine by me. I just hope it's not Athena...

Mai was my first guess, but the show in general seems fairly restrained on clothing, barring the pool episode (which had swimsuits, but not the excessive service that most shows use a pool/beach episode for). I figured even Blue Mary might be pushing it for the character, who doesn't seem to be aiming for a flashy look.

Gojira
2862th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(6):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Wed 25 Jul 12:15post reply

Hmm, Nakoruru is popular but then she was King... I wouldn't be surprised if the next one ended up being someone from Last Blade. Come on Hibiki

sibarraz
451th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Fri 27 Jul 01:54post reply

If they put yuri I will consider on watching this anime

chazumaru
894th Post

"Re(8):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Fri 27 Jul 08:45post reply

quote:
If they put yuri I will consider on watching this anime

One of those Marimite fans, I suppose.

Professor
3532th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):A second SNK reference in Hyouka" , posted Tue 31 Jul 02:29post reply

Looks like this week's Hyouka is still about day 2 of the school fest. Still King, and.. Vocaloids with an attitude.

Professor
3536th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Longthread too Long, move to next" , posted Wed 1 Aug 06:30post reply

Longthread too Long, move to next

SNK Stuff Thread 8 - Summer edition