user profileedit/delete message
MMCafe Owner

"Fighting Game Thread Spring 2018" , posted Wed 17 Jan 02:08:post reply

Fighting games confirmed for the year 2018:

- Dissidia Final Fantasy / Jan 11
- Street Fighter V AE / Jan 17
- Dragon Ball FighterZ / Jan 26, Feb 1
- Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] / JP:2017 , NA^EU: Feb 9

- Street Fighter 30th Anniversay Collection (feat.Exodus) / May 29 (JP:TBA)
- Blazblue Cross Tag Battle (50% DLC) / May 31
- Fighting EX Layer / Spring (before June 30)
- Blade Strangers /Summer
- SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy / September 9
- Soul Calibur VI / TBA
- Smash Bros. Switch / TBA
- Guilty Gear XX ACore Plus R for Nintendo Switch / TBA
- Kungfu vs Karate / TBA *JP-Arcades

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 7 May 01:47]

Replies:

Professor
5331th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Fighting Game Thread Spring 2018" , posted Wed 17 Jan 02:37:post reply

And for anyone who's wondering what Blade Strangers is, it's that game with the shorthaired heroine who has a name that can bring fear to animal lovers.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Umihara Kawase's name, translated literally word for word, reads as "Sea stomach River back", and it means that fishes from the sea should be cut from their stomach, while fishes from the river should be cut from their back

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 17 Jan 02:56]

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(2):Fighting Game Thread Spring 2018" , posted Wed 17 Jan 03:30post reply

I had entirely forgotten about Blade Strangers, and I had no clue about the meaning explained in your spoiler tag! Neat!

It's scary to think that list is not even complete, as more games could be announced at E3, and at least KOF14 and MvCI could get a new bunch of characters at some point (and maybe Injustice2? I don't follow that game). It's really the 20th anniversary of 1998 in more sense than one!

chazumaru
2000th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Fighting Game Thread Spring 2018" , posted Wed 17 Jan 03:34post reply

Oh my, I had completely forgotten that Blade Strangers was a thing. There should also be One's Justice and Fantasy Strike in 2018. Also, I think the official release date of Pocket Rumble is still "This March" (well, technically they never specified "2017").

Même Narumi est épatée !

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Fighting Game Thread Spring 2018" , posted Tue 23 Jan 21:47post reply

Didn't Dragon Ball FighterZ release today?

I only got to dabble in the beta a bit, and although I missed the access to some favorites or a feel for how the new cyborg lady is supposed to fight (in the absence of any manga or anime scenes to compare to - then again, I haven't watched Super, so Beerus and the others are mostly unknown to me), i liked how fluid it felt - very much MvCish (and those games always felt like they wanted to be DBZ when they grew up anyway), but the aggressive dashing, simple motions that don't require multiple buttons and universal projectile (deflection) mechanics, and ability to combo away even if you just mash the light and medium attack buttons help reach the feel of the anime quite a bit.
Outside characters with more specific gimmicks like Ginyu and whatnot, perhaps some of the more important things to learn seem to be things like the angles of projectiles and beam supers as well as assist attacks, after which even a combo illiterate like myself can string together something pleasantly effective.
I wish I could have tried Trunks during the beta, since that looks like a take on the character that'll probably sell me on the game, but I might wait a bit to buy it, since I still have other PS4 games to play through and I'm not really in for the online competition. I do wonder if the story mode is anything interesting, and how the hell the same character gets to have cyborg and majin forms story-wise...

Admittedly, Dissidia NT has more of a pull on me, even if it's clearly aiming for a competitive focus and that's not my jam - at least one of the devs had some fun with the Shantotto story scenes, and after the character's near absence from the main events from past games, I'm all for rewarding effort put into XI's representation, which tends to be pretty puny in these things.

Then there's the plans and clues for DLC characters - while one of the possibilities is Prishe, in the veteran slot shared with Yuna for a returning female character, if she's not it the doors remain open to introduce a proper XI antagonist to the cast, and I can keep hoping for lady Lilith, custodian of Vana'diel and the possibility of her throwing shade at XIV characters, which would reflect some dynamics from her original story. If not, Dissidia Opera Omnia is getting a global release soon as is up to 4 XI characters so far, one of them being Lilith' counterpart Lilisette, so that's at least one hopeful clue that someone's looking into of the better stories in the game instead of stopping at XI's earlier ones like FF crossovers have tended to do.

I still miss the lovely amount of customization the PSP Dissidias allowed - still, even if the equipment factor is gone, along with the ability to distribute points between attack, movement and passive skill, at least the fact that Vaan is currently the only character able to use more than 1 HP attack means that at least the control scheme could be expanded later down the line to enable more for the other characters too through a major version update.
SE sure picked an interesting time for the console release, when so many people are talking about DBZ and the new Monster Hunter, and I'm curious to see if that pushes Dissidia into a niche that de-emphasizes competitive/eSports ambitions and bumps up single-player/story content to levels that at least resemble the prior games...

...!!
chazumaru
2001th Post

"Re(2):Fighting Game Thread Spring 2018" , posted Tue 23 Jan 22:48post reply

quote:
Didn't Dragon Ball FighterZ release today?

It depends where you live but I believe the official release dates are January 26 in the US, January 26 in Europe, and February 1st in Japan. I know it's not usual for an American game to release on a Thursday but I guess the most important market for this specific game prevailed.

Même Narumi est épatée !

"Re(3):Evo Japan 2018 side tournaments" , posted Wed 24 Jan 09:17post reply

Now these are some events worth watching!

Iggy's beloved SupiSupe will have a 67 person tournament!
Garou MOTW has 79 entrants!
Last Blade 2 has 47 entrants and I have no idea what's banned and what isn't!

List of more events

chazumaru
2003th Post

"Re(4):Evo Japan 2018 side tournaments" , posted Wed 24 Jan 13:09post reply

Oh! I'll be at EVO Japan on Sunday afternoon, I believe. Might be busy but let's try to catch up if anyone's around (Prof?).

That's a cute Q.

Même Narumi est épatée !
Professor
5339th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Evo Japan 2018 side tournaments" , posted Wed 24 Jan 15:03:post reply

quote:
Oh! I'll be at EVO Japan on Sunday afternoon, I believe. Might be busy but let's try to catch up if anyone's around (Prof?).

That's a cute Q.

Sunday, sadly no, that's the finals for selected top titles and I didn't get tickets. No KOF
I'll be there on Friday in Ikebukuro to say greetings and maybe to check out some prelims.
Anyone else hitting the venue?

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 24 Jan 15:10]

"Re(4):Evo Japan 2018 side tournaments" , posted Wed 24 Jan 21:24post reply

quote:
Now these are some events worth watching!

Iggy's beloved SupiSupe will have a 67 person tournament!
Garou MOTW has 79 entrants!
Last Blade 2 has 47 entrants and I have no idea what's banned and what isn't!

List of more events

I am SO IN for a modern, serious SupiSupe tournament!
And yeah, Last Blade 2 is so busted at high level that either they ban half of it, or it will make for a rather boring show...

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(5):Evo Japan 2018 side tournaments" , posted Fri 26 Jan 00:39post reply

I hope all these side games get streamed or at least archived somewhere. They may not feature a lot of entrants -I'm guessing most of the people playing Yatagarasu worked on the game- but anyone who signed up must be a true fan.

In preparation for Evo a new Soul Calibur trailer has been released. While I appreciate that Groh isn't overdesigned like some of the characters from later games he comes across like a would-be cool guy from a B tier manga. Did Hiro Mashima create this dude?

chazumaru
2005th Post

"Re(5):Evo Japan 2018 side tournaments" , posted Fri 26 Jan 01:56post reply

quote:

I am SO IN for a modern, serious SupiSupe tournament!

I cannot vouch for high level (or high definition capture...) but Kouhatsu actually had a Supisupe tournament last weekend.

Même Narumi est épatée !

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(6):Evo Japan 2018 side tournaments" , posted Fri 26 Jan 05:53:post reply

There's also going to be a new playable demo of Soul Calibur 6 at Evo Japan.

Is the new character a T1000
also where the damn is Raphael

[this message was edited by Gojira on Fri 26 Jan 05:55]

"Samurai Shodown V Special stream is on" , posted Fri 26 Jan 12:02post reply

SupiSupeSuto

"Samurai Shodown V Special, LB2 stream is on" , posted Fri 26 Jan 12:10post reply

quote:
SupiSupeSuto

Last Blade 2 top 8 is currently on

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(7):Evo Japan 2018 side tournaments" , posted Fri 26 Jan 14:43post reply

quote:
There's also going to be a new playable demo of Soul Calibur 6 at Evo Japan.

Is the new character a T1000

Hahaha that guy sucks. At first I was going to say that Namco seems to be feeling the pressure from SFV to have a bad new character like Necalli who's a lame imitation of an existing character concept (Gouki/Nightmare). But then I recalled that even one of the best two Soul Calibur games had Necrid in it, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Laughable English voices in the trailer aside, I'm glad to see Xianghua finally took a page from Sophitia and ditched the weird capri pants, but I'm not too happy to see the violent, lunging Soul Calibur 3+ Nightmare rather than the agile and Siegfried-centered Soul Calibur 1 and 2 Nightmare.

But the soul still burns, regardless.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...
ungenesis
475th Post

PSN: n/a
Wii: ungenesis
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis
Gold Customer

"Dragon Ball FighterZ" , posted Sat 27 Jan 08:15post reply

Finally got to try this out since there was no beta for PC users ... It sure is pretty, and smooth, but I'm finding everyone's movelists to be rather empty compared to a Capcom or SNK game. Anyone else playing?

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Anyone still playing Phantasy Star Online 2?
Ship: 2
ID: entropytempts

"Re(8):Evo Japan 2018 side tournaments" , posted Sat 27 Jan 11:31post reply

quote:
Hahaha that guy sucks. At first I was going to say that Namco seems to be feeling the pressure from SFV to have a bad new character like Necalli who's a lame imitation of an existing character concept (Gouki/Nightmare). But then I recalled that even one of the best two Soul Calibur games had Necrid in it, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Seeing how he plays it's not that bad, I like the combination of moves that use the swords both together and separately. Just his design is... kind of bland and bad. Reminds me of ZWEI sort of, but not even as interesting as him. At least he had a stand.

I really like that Nightmare finally has his horse outside of artwork but I hate that it only shows up in his critical edge. He needs a horse stance. Let him stomp Edgy McDoubleswords flat with his evil unicorn hooves.

"Re(9):Evo Japan 2018 side tournaments" , posted Sat 27 Jan 14:29post reply

I'm actually getting pretty excited about Soul Calibur 6, and this is after having my heart broken for literally 15 years after 2's perfection. I might have been wrong about the lunging, messing Nightmare from later games...this one looks a bit more agile than I thought, like the old days. I'm not a big fan of the "dramatic" slow-down power moves that are more reminiscent of a super combo in a 2D game, but ah well. The real test, of course, is whether they can recover a real ground game with low moves (including in the 8-way run), which was jettisoned for a lot of moronic back and forth middle attacks in SC3 and beyond. Part of the problem with managing expectations is that I was never sure who was the key designer for one of my favorite series...did my favorite people leave after 2, or have the original geniuses somehow been making mistakes for 15 years straight?

"RANMA 1/2 SIDE TOURNAMENT IS ON" , posted Sat 27 Jan 18:22post reply

OTHER TOURNAMENTS DON'T EVEN MATTER, THIS IS THE RANMA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Professor
5344th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):RANMA 1/2 SIDE TOURNAMENT IS ON" , posted Sat 27 Jan 22:20post reply

quote:

lol at Happousai shooting beams right behind where the ropes are THIS GAME IS FANTASTIC
(I still have the original cartridge.)

quote:
Finally got to try this out since there was no beta for PC users ... It sure is pretty, and smooth, but I'm finding everyone's movelists to be rather empty compared to a Capcom or SNK game. Anyone else playing?

Ungenesis-- I'll be picking the game up on launch for PS4. The movesets for some characters are bland, but the system makes up for it.

"Re(2):RANMA 1/2 SIDE TOURNAMENT IS ON" , posted Sun 28 Jan 00:51post reply

quote:

When I tuned in I saw someone wearing a panda head while playing. Evo Japan is already a success in my eyes since people know how to dress for the occasion.

"Re(3):Soul 1/2 SIDE TOURNAMENT IS ON" , posted Sun 28 Jan 04:21post reply

quote:

When I tuned in I saw someone wearing a panda head while playing. Evo Japan is already a success in my eyes since people know how to dress for the occasion.

The only thing better could be news that there is now a (simple) Soul Calibur 6 site up! All people involved in tales of swords and souls are requested to set up their bookmarks immediately and to obsessively check for new art every week.

I think they have a new character artist who is slightly less excellent than who came before. On the other hand, people have always looked pretty different in-game, so I suppose it doesn't matter that much.

chazumaru
2007th Post

"Japanese TV news" , posted Mon 29 Jan 01:01post reply

A crossover of two franchises that feel like they escaped from another century: Mikado Vs. NHK

Même Narumi est épatée !

"King of Iron Rodeo" , posted Thu 1 Feb 23:13post reply

Why does the Tekken mobile game have more content and characters than Tekken 7?

GekigangerV
2010th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
CFN: gekijmo

"Re(1):King of Iron Rodeo" , posted Fri 2 Feb 07:53post reply

quote:
Why does the Tekken mobile game have more content and characters than Tekken 7?

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me or it is my lack of Tekken character knowledge, but Rodeo looks like he was made up of random assets of Street Fighter characters from the long delayed Tekken x Street Fighter

0:21 - Alex's Flash Chop?
0:28 - Alex's Crouching Strong Punch?
0:42 - Zangief's Lariat?

Or are those also Tekken Character moves too?

"Re(2):King of Iron Rodeo" , posted Sat 3 Feb 03:05post reply

quote:
Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me or it is my lack of Tekken character knowledge, but Rodeo looks like he was made up of random assets of Street Fighter characters from the long delayed Tekken x Street Fighter

0:21 - Alex's Flash Chop?
0:28 - Alex's Crouching Strong Punch?
0:42 - Zangief's Lariat?

Or are those also Tekken Character moves too?

When I first saw the video I wondered why they didn't go with an established character like Brad Hawk from Urban Reign but then I remembered no one cares about Urban Reign. But now that you mention it the much more likely explanation is that they wanted a character who could use the animations they had created for the mythical TxSF.

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):King of Iron Rodeo" , posted Sat 3 Feb 05:42post reply

quote:

I was more caught by the outfits. Rodeo doesn't *look* like a Tekken character, but rather like some generic knock-offs of characters from other games.

The first outfit is Brad Spencer with some hints of Maxima. Then there is discount US Sports Team. Then we have a really generic open jacket, that with the purple lighting in its first fight makes him look like a steroid-ified version of the official version of The Boss from Saints Row (in other words, the generic design that no one customizes their versions of The Boss to look anything like.) Which manages to look even less interesting when you realize it is actually a black outfit.

GekigangerV
2012th Post

"EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Wed 7 Feb 11:49:post reply

Link Here

Tekken 7
Smash Wii U
SFV AE
BlazBlue Cross Tag
GGXrd Rev 2
Injustice 2
Smash Melee
DB FighterZ

Of course, the notable missing game is Marvel vs Capcom Infnite. When was the last time Marvel wasn't at EVO? I wonder if the game killed any chance for any future Marvel vs Capcom games or if they have any DLC characters planned.

Unfortunately, no KOF XIV. Which is a shame since we are getting a new batch of DLC characters.

I hope to see some good TMNT tech in Injustice 2 that I can steal integrate into my own play style.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Wed 7 Feb 11:51]

"Re(1):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Wed 7 Feb 12:17post reply

quote:
Link Here

Tekken 7
Smash Wii U
SFV AE
BlazBlue Cross Tag
GGXrd Rev 2
Injustice 2
Smash Melee
DB FighterZ

Of course, the notable missing game is Marvel vs Capcom Infnite. When was the last time Marvel wasn't at EVO? I wonder if the game killed any chance for any future Marvel vs Capcom games or if they have any DLC characters planned.

Unfortunately, no KOF XIV. Which is a shame since we are getting a new batch of DLC characters.

I hope to see some good TMNT tech in Injustice 2 that I can steal integrate into my own play style.

Cross Tag being there blows my mind, especially knowing that it's effectively the game taking the place of a MvC game. All the other games were the ones that were expected, BBXT is just wtfbbq

HokutoAndy

128th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Wed 7 Feb 17:19post reply

What would be the 9 fighting games you'd pick for an ideal tournament? Doesn't have to be recent.

nobinobita
1864th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Wed 7 Feb 17:35post reply

quote:
What would be the 9 fighting games you'd pick for an ideal tournament? Doesn't have to be recent.

Street Fighter III: Third Strike

Street Fighter Alpha 2

CVS2

Mark of the Wolves

Vampire Savior

Yu Yu Hakusho Final (this is my fav fighting game on SNES!)

KOFXIII

Daraku Tenshii (I know it's unfinished and probably broken but it's so beautiful and i just want to see what high level play looks like!)

Waku Waku 7 (No idea how balanced this game is, again i just love it and want to see what high level play looks like!)

This is pretty much just a list of 9 fighting games with graphics that I really really like.

www.art-eater.com

"Re(4):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Wed 7 Feb 18:36post reply

quote:

3rd Strike, in team format (preferably teams of five, like in Co-op Cup).

Guilty Gear AC or AC+, in team format. (I pick this over Xrd because the two AC games represented the final dead-end evolution of the Guilty Gear XX line, where mechanical complexity had reached maximum levels, offensive capabilities were stupidly high, and the game was by far the least beginner friendly of any of the GG games).

Tekken 7, in team format (the Master Cup tournament in Akiba alone proves the worthiness of this title and this format, and not having a 3D fighter feels wrong)

KOF 2k2UM, with Nameless banned because he's stupid and while the game is kinda fugly it's the wildest KOF game where matches aren't full of corner death and we need a KOF title

DBFZ because it's the new hotness

One Must Fall 2097 because that game is awesome (air re-hit is on, one tournament for the mode where you have all the upgrades, one tournament for where you can only use the pre-set characters + mechs)

Eternal Fighter Zero because it's my favourite doujin fighting game ever.

Hokuto no Ken in team format, a given team may not have more than one of Rei/Toki/Raoh.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, going by whatever ruleset SQ wants.

NOTEWORTHY EXCLUSIONS:

VSav: I don't like watching competitive matches of this game at all! To me it just looks like nonstop dashes into universal chains!

Karnov's Revenge: It would mean giving up one of the others in spite of how much I love BALLOOOOOOON

CvS2: I played a TON of this game in arcades, but you know what? It isn't actually much fun to watch.

KOF XIII: I don't like watching competitive matches of this game that much.

Virtua Fighter anything: I don't understand VF well enough to appreciate matches of it.

Soul Calibur anything: you know what, go ahead and substitute Tekken for this

Samurai Shodown anything: you know what, go ahead and substitute KOF for this

Suiko Enbu: Hokuto no Ken is already there for wall splat combos, same with GGAC

Touki Denshou: Hokuto no Ken is already there

MvC2: .................................. I'm so sorry, I don't have a good excuse for leaving this one out. This game is kinda fugly, but damn do I love watching competitive matches of it!

"Re(2):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Wed 7 Feb 20:39post reply

Evo Japan had the best games.
However, no tournament is complete without competitive Catherine. As much as I hate the single player part, competitive Catherine is the truest and meanest form of battle between two humans.

quote:
Cross Tag being there blows my mind, especially knowing that it's effectively the game taking the place of a MvC game. All the other games were the ones that were expected, BBXT is just wtfbbq

I guess Cross Tag takes the place of normal Blazblue instead, no?
The list has 8 games, there is no way in hell the 9th won't be a Mahvel game. It would be amazing if they end up adding 3 or 2 instead of Infinite, though.
The real kicker? Injustice 2's competitive life lasted longer than MvCI. That's wild (and also dumb).

Does Evo have any contact at Capcom? If there's a second batch of DLC character incoming, the game will probably be added. If there's none, then... then... that means they're preparing to recycle the whole lot, including unreleased DLC characters, into a good Capcom vs Capcom game! Believe!

"Re(3):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Wed 7 Feb 21:32post reply

quote:

I guess Cross Tag takes the place of normal Blazblue instead, no?
The list has 8 games, there is no way in hell the 9th won't be a Mahvel game. It would be amazing if they end up adding 3 or 2 instead of Infinite, though.
The real kicker? Injustice 2's competitive life lasted longer than MvCI. That's wild (and also dumb).

I think it's because in my head, DBFZ somehow took the place of Xrd (the "newer" ArcSys game), Xrd took the place of Blazblue (the "smaller/older" ArcSys game), and Cross Tag took the place of Marvel because I forgot that the tournament could have nine games.

"Re(4):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Wed 7 Feb 23:12post reply

I'm not a fan of Smash in general but congrats to the fans for somehow supporting two games in the franchise. At this point it looks like Melee is going to stick around until either all the Gamecube consoles die of old age or all the Melee players die of old age.

MvC:I not making it into Evo is hilarious but not unexpected. This may be the fastest I've seen people give up on a major release fighting game in some time. Even SFxT managed to limp its way through two Evos!

quote:

I would be hands-off and just let the guys who ran the Ranma 1/2 tournament set it up.

"Re(2):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Fri 9 Feb 02:03post reply

quote:

The way I see it, DBFZ is the MvCI overthrower - Cross Tag battle, as a crossover of 2D anime fighter characters, fills that niche while apparently GG's graphical flair helped elevate it beyond that kind of public image.

As for my 9:

* KoF XIV, when the update and new characters get released

* DoA5LR - because it's a solid if underrated game with a reputation problem that need not be reflected in its competitions; also, it's the closest to an unnoficial Sega Vs SNK we've got

* Tekken 7 - the closest to a Capcom vs SNK, uninhibited by either Capcom's bone-headed decisions from recent years, or SNK's limited resources. Also, Tekken's kinda fun and has a healthy competitive scene of its own.

* Sm4sh - I am unashamedly in favor of crossovers, what can I say

* Dragon Ball FighterZ - I'd be curious to see how closely matches in the top 8 or finals would match series events and if they'd trigger those dramatic finishes, would be fun times (also, it's about time fighting games took a page from Super robot Wars and implemented dynamic kills properly)

* Dissidia NT/arcade - assuming there's even a way to coordinate a local multiplayer match so 6 players can duke it out at one

* SFxT simultaneous matches between teams of 2 players - I don't care if it's competitively broken, there aren't enough FGs with cooperative mechanics, and I don't think tag-team systems do that justice, everybody on screen at once doing their best to coordinate their attacks and offense can be a fun experience and watch (shame the matches end if only 1 teammate goes down though, but then again, I'd be interesting to see what kind of defensive tactics would emerge in a real competition)

* Fighters Megamix - these things need more Sega, and VF alone seems to lack the flair audiences grew used to

* Skullgirls - if a western game is to make it in, I'd take this one over MK

...!!

"Re(3):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Fri 9 Feb 04:26post reply

quote:

It's time for acronymaniaaaaaaa
In no particular order (or is it?):
- Last Bronx (only because I'm really curious to see what it looks like at high levels)
- Astra Superstars (same as above)
- FHD (need I say more)
- XvSF (if I had to pick a Marvel game it would have to be the one that's so broken it's part of the meta)
- HnK (if I had to pick an Arcsys game it would have to be the one that's so broken it's part WA SHOCK)
- TTT (it's a silly and broken game and leagues more fun to watch than anything recent)
- SC2 (I just like watching competitive SC2)
- KoF98 (with the prerequisite that every team must include Brian)
- UMK3 (it makes me laugh)

"Re(4):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Sat 10 Feb 08:13post reply

quote:

- TTT (it's a silly and broken game and leagues more fun to watch than anything recent)

I heard this was a divisive mechanic when it was new: what do you think of the "crush" system in Tekken? To me it makes the game feel even more rock-paper-scissors in that there are some moves that simply never will hit others, simply by virtue of this, whatever the hitboxes say. But evidently it's been a fixture for a few Tekken titles now?

"Re(5):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Sat 10 Feb 13:28post reply

quote:

I heard this was a divisive mechanic when it was new: what do you think of the "crush" system in Tekken? To me it makes the game feel even more rock-paper-scissors in that there are some moves that simply never will hit others, simply by virtue of this, whatever the hitboxes say. But evidently it's been a fixture for a few Tekken titles now?

Yeah, the whole crush system started around Tekken 5. I think it was made as a reaction to the way lows would sometimes keep people from jumping, or low punches would just interrupt everything.

On one hand as a designer I like it when things are consistent, for better or worse. If something is low, I don't want to see it hitting people out of the air. Also if someone is low to the ground I don't want to see them hit by attacks that are directed way over their heads. (Here's the part where I rant about how power crushes make no visual or intuitive sense)

On the other hand as a player I think the idea is problematic in that they increased the reward on crush moves. I honestly don't think the reward for hitting a crush move needs to have potential for a big damage combo. There's already a reduced risk from the fact they're going to categorically avoid certain other moves.

That said, a lot of them are very slow and unsafe so overall at higher levels they kind of become non-issues. Players will just maneuver themselves into distances where the existence of crushes has no effect on them, so of course they're not going to see a problem.

I guess that means I'm indifferent to them?

"Re(6):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Mon 12 Feb 19:55post reply

Not sure how much Dissidia qualifies for this thread, but it's weird how it fall into the same single-player pitfall as Skullgirls, where a game ostensibly designed around competition between humans features one or more bosses that invalidate mechanics and therefore almost entire characters that are generally viable in the rest of the game.

In Dissidia NT's case, that's the battles against the avatars (which can be summoned during regular battles, but can't be used when fighting only other avatars) and the final boss, where the whole thing degenerates into 3rd-person shmup mechanics and dodging - which wouldn't be a problem if only about a 3rd of the cast was designed around ranged combat.
Oh, and when you first come across those battles, the game recommends using the Vanguard/tank characters, but generally players have found the Marksmen/shooter characters more effective (and one of the story battles, Leviathan's, doesn't grant you access to any), and the AI-controlled ones tend to get better grades when one beats those fights.

Guess I'll have to keep levelling up characters and hopefully their AIs along the way while trying to unlock XI items.
Still, it's nice that you don't have to beat and unlock all story scenes and fights to get to the final boss.

...!!

"Re(7):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Wed 14 Feb 10:06post reply

quote:
Not sure how much Dissidia qualifies for this thread, but it's weird how it fall into the same single-player pitfall as Skullgirls, where a game ostensibly designed around competition between humans features one or more bosses that invalidate mechanics and therefore almost entire characters that are generally viable in the rest of the game.

That's a common pitfall of fighting game boss design in general. Most fighting game makers are already pretty lazy when it comes to AI and challenge design, and a rule-breaking boss is an easy way to up the challenge.

But I personally put most of the blame onto Capcom's Vs games. Rule breaking bosses existed before. Bosses had extra damage or defense, horribly overpowered moves or supers, gained meter faster, and might even be immune to certain attacks or effects. But with its Vs series, Capcom popularized the inherently rule-breaking spectacle giant boss. After that, the idea seemed to spread like wildfire, with similar designs that didn't even hold the pretense of being a remotely "fair" fight, with a complete lack of concern for what it meant for the different character designs that were supposed to face it.

Oh, you are playing a grappler? Sorry, but this screen-sized boss is immune to all throws, and we didn't feel like spending any effort making a special alternative for throw attempts. We can't even be bothered to make sure the moves that should work actually work as intended against our boss...

"Re(8):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Wed 14 Feb 23:32post reply

A minor digression, but I always viewed the boss in Skullgirls as an homage to SNK bosses since she didn't have any crouching animation. That's an odd criteria to use but video game genealogy is not an exact science.

"Re(8):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Thu 15 Feb 03:28post reply

quote:

That's a common pitfall of fighting game boss design in general. Most fighting game makers are already pretty lazy when it comes to AI and challenge design, and a rule-breaking boss is an easy way to up the challenge.

But I personally put most of the blame onto Capcom's Vs games. Rule breaking bosses existed before. Bosses had extra damage or defense, horribly overpowered moves or supers, gained meter faster, and might even be immune to certain attacks or effects. But with its Vs series, Capcom popularized the inherently rule-breaking spectacle giant boss. After that, the idea seemed to spread like wildfire, with similar designs that didn't even hold the pretense of being a remotely "fair" fight, with a complete lack of concern for what it meant for the different character designs that were supposed to face it.

Oh, you are playing a grappler? Sorry, but this screen-sized boss is immune to all throws, and we didn't feel like spending any effort making a special alternative for throw attempts. We can't even be bothered to make sure the moves that should work actually work as intended against our boss...

At the time it was okay for Zangief because his spinning lariat could hit the boss many many times! So he had unique strengths as a CHARACTER against the boss, as opposed to having unique strengths as a GRAPPLER against the boss, and that made it seem OK.

Apocalypse in XvSF was also cool as hell and I thought it was the most awesome thing I had ever seen in a fighting game or a Marvel game. That helped.

"Re(9):EVO 2018 line up announced" , posted Thu 15 Feb 18:35post reply

another video condemnation of Netherrealms animation, this time focused on Injustice 2 - I really wish these videos were in their own channel instead of sharing one with harem anime reviews, I like this guy's fighting game output.

...!!

"Picking fights on the Internet" , posted Thu 22 Feb 02:19post reply

This board is not really high on 3D fighting games, but I have a thing for petty Internet drama on topics I don't care about, so this reigniting of the VF vs Tekken rivalry in 2017 is too much of a bait to ignore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S6jPVBNJO8

"Re(1):Picking fights on the Internet" , posted Thu 22 Feb 09:42post reply

quote:
This board is not really high on 3D fighting games, but I have a thing for petty Internet drama on topics I don't care about, so this reigniting of the VF vs Tekken rivalry in 2017 is too much of a bait to ignore.

This video could simply have extolled the success of VF since no one would have disagreed with the factoids on display. But, no, the video had to make it into a pissing contest for whatever reason. I did like that the video ended with the narrator going on about the greatness of VF while playing footage from DoA, the franchise that pretty much swallowed VF whole.

"Re(2):Picking fights on the Internet" , posted Thu 22 Feb 11:59post reply

quote:
This video could simply have extolled the success of VF since no one would have disagreed with the factoids on display. But, no, the video had to make it into a pissing contest for whatever reason. I did like that the video ended with the narrator going on about the greatness of VF while playing footage from DoA, the franchise that pretty much swallowed VF whole.

The video feels a bit desperate in its attempt to present a series that Sega has apparently abandoned, which many modern gamers may never have seen, as the most important video game series ever released.

The creator starts with saying that VF was the first "good" 3D fighting game, and thus was the first to set any precedents on graphics or technical aspects. (I'll give it technical precedents, but graphics were going to eventually happen even if VF never existed.) From their, the video creator's credit to VF only increases.

Virtua Fighter is given credit for creating the entire genre of 3D fighting games, even though that was going to eventually happen with or without VF.

Virtua Fighter is given credit for the design and eventual success of the Sony Playstation. While that holds truth, it is stated in a way that implies credit for Sony's success and even the face of modern console gaming owes itself to Virtua Fighter. (Sony not redesigning its console plans would completely change the course of console history. To the point that we honestly cannot say whether the result would be better or worse. Even if PC advancements dragged consoles along, we couldn't even name who the major players in the console world would be. Would Nintendo remain supreme? Would Sega have survived? What would the Saturn be? Would Microsoft have entered the market? Would Sony have remained? But that isn't really a Virtua Fighter specific achievement, anything that changed Sony's course would have that kind of ripple effect.)

And then finally the video create pretty much credits 3D game art design in general to Virtua Fighter. Without VF, not even PC game Quake would have looked the way it did.

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341
Gold Customer

"Re(1):Picking fights on the Internet" , posted Thu 22 Feb 17:12post reply

quote:

The guy has another better video comparing VF to Tekken https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr4lYtoqWB0. And I do find it funny that that video about VF being deeper than Tekken articulates his points better than why VF is more important (which I feel like is more of an agreed on thing by everyone).

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/
pretzelmotion.com

"Re(1):Picking fights on the Internet" , posted Thu 22 Feb 22:37post reply

quote:

Thanks for sharing this - if not for the points in the video itself (I saw his other coparison video in my YT suggestions before and ignored it), but for the fact that it led me to discover that the same guy made VF lore videos, currently covering Akira, the Bryants and Pai - he even has footage of Beast Sarah from one of the pachislot games, and I thought that footage had disappeared from the net entirely (at least if searching for it in English).

While at it, here's another video criticizing Netherrealms animation, this time focusing on Darkseid - it gets more interesting when he uses DBFZ's take on Beerus as a point of comparison, since he his stance also involves his hands behind his back. half a century of comics material to draw from compared to a few years of animation might be a slightly uneven point of comparison, but i think the points stand, and the mentions of Yamazaki and Oro are more than welcome.

...!!

"Re(2):Picking Ivy on the Internet" , posted Fri 23 Feb 02:59post reply

Zasalamel returns to Soul Calibur. I was worried he might not make the cut but I'm glad to see the producers aren't just going with the initial SC cast. His scythe attacks still look great and his ability to fiddle with time is a nice visual. Those shoulder pads are awful but at least he has his hood on as his default outfit which means he's still sporting his grim reaper by way of Sun-Ra look.

Oh, Ivy and her dual flotation devices are back as well.

neo0r0chiaku
383th Post

XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles
Silver Customer

"Re(3):Picking Ivy on the Internet" , posted Fri 23 Feb 04:23post reply

quote:
Zasalamel returns to Soul Calibur. I was worried he might not make the cut but I'm glad to see the producers aren't just going with the initial SC cast. His scythe attacks still look great and his ability to fiddle with time is a nice visual. Those shoulder pads are awful but at least he has his hood on as his default outfit which means he's still sporting his grim reaper by way of Sun-Ra look.

Oh, Ivy and her dual flotation devices are back as well.

Isn't he a quick version of Astaroth?

Long Live I AM!

"Re(3):Picking Ivy on the Internet" , posted Fri 23 Feb 05:41post reply

quote:

Wow, his English voice doesn't fit him at alllllllll. Otherwise he looks cool. I never played the character much aside from using him to break the camera in SC3 but I'm sure someone out there is happy to see him and his weird time stop goofs.

As for Ivy, so that's as fully-clothed as she gets, huh. The armor breaks so far have been really dynamic, so I can only imagine what will happen when she gets hit with an armor break. Maybe she'll go bald?

"Re(4):Picking Ivy on the Internet" , posted Fri 23 Feb 10:37post reply

quote:
As for Ivy, so that's as fully-clothed as she gets, huh. The armor breaks so far have been really dynamic, so I can only imagine what will happen when she gets hit with an armor break. Maybe she'll go bald?
Ha! On the other hand, at least the increasingly garish color schemes of Soul Calibur 3 onward seem to have vanished. May I direct discerning Cafe customers to the official site, where you can avoid the tragic English "acting," too?

"Re(4):Picking Ivy on the Internet" , posted Fri 23 Feb 20:31post reply

quote:

I'd love to entertain the notion that she's already armor broken in the trailer and that her default outfit is one of the cool military ones like she had as an alternate in II.

She at least retains her metal gauntlet on her left arm, one of the better parts of her classic outfit, so maybe that's what breaks...

...!!
Mosquiton
2363th Post

"Re(5):Picking Ivy on the Internet" , posted Sat 24 Feb 03:00:post reply

quote:

I'd love to entertain the notion that she's already armor broken in the trailer and that her default outfit is one of the cool military ones like she had as an alternate in II.

She at least retains her metal gauntlet on her left arm, one of the better parts of her classic outfit, so maybe that's what breaks...

I am crushed by work obligations as of late, but I will take a brief cafe break to sip some coffee and pontificate on Ivy's latest design iteration.

Well, that's definitely Ivy. I actually much prefer her prior default outfit from Soul Calibur V, but his one is pretty much what I expect from the character in terms of overall look. It's essentially a remake of her SC1 costume that shows more skin and adopts the SC5 skele-face pauldron, which I'd like a lot more if it talked to her like Vampire Hunter D's hand (let's face it, making Soul Calibur a little goofier would hardly be a crime).

However, I am disappointed at how unnatural the boobs look. It's not the size that's the problem (boobs come in all sizes after all), but the lack of movement just doesn't look right. Unlike the combination of a balconette-style bra and snug coat in her SCV default, there's just no conceivable support at all with this flimsy design. Yet while there is no fabric holding Ivy's breasts in place, they seem instead to be restrained by some vague sense of decorum. Or maybe engine/budget issues? IDK.

I'm totally fine with their eschewing cartoony, out-of-control videogame boob physics of the once-they-start-moving-it-will-be-at-least-two-full-minutes-before-they-return-to-rest variety, or the alternate two-sentient-gelatious-aliens-trying-desperately-to-escape-from-their-bonds style. But yes, I am claiming that the lack of bounce here violates my personal sense of aesthetics. I admire a statuesque figure, but they needn't look like they're literally sculpted out of plastic.

I really don't see the team going the Team Ninja route, but I fully expect them to go hard with additional costumes. Or maybe they'll go the create-a-character route again? Well, I suspect that one way or another I'll have to take matters into my own hands.

I've heard a few different opinions on the face, but she looks good IMO. Nice expression during the "critical super ultimate edge technique" or whatever they call it these days.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sat 24 Feb 03:48]

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(6):Picking Ivy on the Internet" , posted Sat 24 Feb 05:02post reply

My problem with Ivy is that I myself suffer from back problems, without having these boobs (and without going into elaborate gymnastics when I'm whipping my underlings while laughing like the queen of the night).
So watching her move around with these two bags of yellow fat glued to her chest hurts me in ways my physiotherapist wouldn't believe. It also makes me dread the inevitable return of Taki if that's the treatment they'll give her (and of course they will).

I also agree her face looks nicer than in 4 and 5. She doesn't look like a contestant to Ru Paul's Drag Race anymore, or at least she'd drop out before the last episode (as long as there's no challenge "fashion an ensemble with this ham string and this tin foil", in which case she might get the crown).

Yuki Yagami

120th Post

Regular Customer

"R.I.P. Kim Kaphwan (Viccom)" , posted Sat 24 Feb 22:56post reply

Viccom's founder and namesake of SNK's Taekwondo Jewel, Kim Kaphwan has passed away

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
Yamazaki_RJ

32th Post

PSN: Yamazaki_RJ
STM: Yamazaki_RJ
CFN: Yamazaki_RJ
Rare Customer

"Re(1):R.I.P. Kim Kaphwan (Viccom)" , posted Mon 26 Feb 20:18post reply

quote:
Viccom's founder and namesake of SNK's Taekwondo Jewel, Kim Kaphwan has passed away

That man is Hiroshi Matsumoto, Street Fighter co-creator, right?

"Fight Crab" , posted Thu 8 Mar 00:02post reply

I guess I have to buy a Switch.

"Re(1):Fight Crab" , posted Thu 8 Mar 02:08post reply

quote:

Nussot is a true auteur

Just a Person
1954th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Fight Crab" , posted Sat 10 Mar 01:10post reply

quote:

Nussot is a true auteur

That's... a surprisingly amazing concept! Whoever thought about it is a genius.

Oh, and speaking of Switch... I really hope you don't forget Dixie Kong this time, Nintendo!

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.

"Re(3):Fight Crab" , posted Sun 11 Mar 02:23post reply

quote:
Oh, and speaking of Switch... I really hope you don't forget Dixie Kong this time, Nintendo!

At this point the Switch is looking far better than the WiiU ever did. I was trying to avoid the Switch since it does a lot of silly things I don't need and I'm trying to get away from having multiple consoles plugged in all over the house. However, the game lineup is getting really tempting.

"Re(4):Fight Crab" , posted Sun 11 Mar 02:28post reply

quote:

At this point the Switch is looking far better than the WiiU ever did. I was trying to avoid the Switch since it does a lot of silly things I don't need and I'm trying to get away from having multiple consoles plugged in all over the house. However, the game lineup is getting really tempting.

Quite honestly, playing Switch games while laying about in your bed is such a luxury that it immediately gives value to the portable aspect of the console.

"SF Museum Mode" , posted Thu 15 Mar 03:11post reply

The upcoming SF Collection features the ability to scroll through each frame of animation.

"Re(1):SF Museum Mode" , posted Thu 15 Mar 06:35post reply

quote:
The upcoming SF Collection features the ability to scroll through each frame of animation.

Woah, this is immensely cool.
I'd love to have that for Vampire!

Nobinobita
1870th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):SF Museum Mode" , posted Fri 16 Mar 00:38post reply

quote:

OH MY GOD

www.art-eater.com

"Sadly, it was not 2B" , posted Fri 16 Mar 03:51post reply

Generic RPG Man is Ready To Battle

Sorry I don't know anything about him, I just know that out of all the rumored guests this was at the bottom of my list. It might have helped if I played the game he's from at all, but oh well.

GekigangerV
2016th Post

"Re(1):Sadly, it was not 2B" , posted Fri 16 Mar 11:11post reply

quote:

Sorry I don't know anything about him, I just know that out of all the rumored guests this was at the bottom of my list. It might have helped if I played the game he's from at all, but oh well.

Who else is rumored? Geralt has been hinted at for a couple of weeks now so I wasn't too surprised.

Is that how he sounds like in the Witcher games? His gruffness makes him sound like David Hayter doing Old Snake.

"Re(1):Sadly, it was not Necrid" , posted Fri 16 Mar 11:42post reply

quote:

Blah, but it's nonetheless amazing how many years I've gotten out of the phrase, "Ah, but at least it's not Necrid."

"Re(2):Sadly, it was not 2B" , posted Fri 16 Mar 23:20post reply

quote:
Who else is rumored? Geralt has been hinted at for a couple of weeks now so I wasn't too surprised.

I'm not certain who else was in the rumor mill but I can't imagine they would be a more obvious choice than Geralt. As a Witcher he's a swordsman who constantly wanders into supernatural problems so it's not that far of a stretch to think he would eventually blunder into the world of SC. If SC needs a guest character he's certainly a better fit than 2B or some other more exotic choice since Geralt is at least in the same swords and sorcery fantasy genre. I still remember a match in SC4 in which Taki was fighting some clone created by the Keroro Gunso guy while Tie Fighters were zipping around in the background. The presentation was so far removed from the series that I couldn't have told you if it was an actual SC game or a bootleg game built out of randomly stolen assets. Can we at least have one somewhat consistent SC game in this revival before the whole thing goes off the rails again?

Mosquiton
2365th Post

"Re(2):Sadly, it was not Necrid" , posted Fri 16 Mar 23:21post reply

quote:
Blah, but it's nonetheless amazing how many years I've gotten out of the phrase, "Ah, but at least it's not Necrid."

Am I the only person that played The Witcher 3? You guys are missing out.

/ / /

"Re(3):Sadly, it was not Necrid" , posted Sat 17 Mar 00:49:post reply

quote:

Am I the only person that played The Witcher 3? You guys are missing out.

I tried to play Witcher 1 and didn't like the playing of it much, I played through Witcher 2 and enjoyed it, I started Witcher 3 but at the time I was playing the various Souls games and the shock of a random NPC having as many dialogue lines as an entire Souls game was too great for me.

In theory I would like Witcher 3, but the game is so long that I'm not sure I have the time to properly engage with it.

All that said, I think Geralt fits into SC quite decently, even though it seems like they haven't done much to retouch his assets so that they works well inside the lighting schemes of SC (in the trailer, anyway!). The fine details of his armor, for instance, come across as FLAT TEXTURES. I also think it'd be hilarious if they got the Ni-oh main character in the game, so that you could have a fade from Mitsurugi to Nioh dude to Geralt.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Sat 17 Mar 00:51]

Professor
5380th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Tekken gets some Lessons" , posted Mon 19 Mar 01:45post reply

Summer Lessons, that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hu-U6jCdiA

This was bound to happen but the Summer Lesson costumes were quite bland to begin with that it feels.. almost not like cosplay, unlike other Collaborations.

Wii: NNID:sfried
Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Sirlin's Fantasy Strike" , posted Fri 23 Mar 12:53post reply

Was wondering, what are the overall Cafe thoughts for Fantasy Strike? Seems like a neat concept, but...I dunno, is it too reductionist? Kinda like how Divekick boils everything down to just two moves and distancing. Would that take away from the depth?

"Re(1):Sirlin's Fantasy Strike" , posted Fri 23 Mar 13:20post reply

quote:
Was wondering, what are the overall Cafe thoughts for Fantasy Strike? Seems like a neat concept, but...I dunno, is it too reductionist? Kinda like how Divekick boils everything down to just two moves and distancing. Would that take away from the depth?

I'm trying to think, was this the one where there aren't really any inputs? Like Divekick, it probably suffers more than anything from amateur character design/art. I realize that high-level players are happy to play on The Grid and see only hitboxes, but given how repetitive the scenery in fighting games is, you at least want it to look good. I suppose hyper-simplified inputs transport you into the world of top pros who never miss an input, either, but I suspect most people enjoy the challenge of execution, in fact. Even MMCafe's one true fighting game, Justice Gakuen, would probably be even MORE fun if it had something besides quarter and half-circle inputs.

"Re(2):Sirlin's Fantasy Strike" , posted Sat 24 Mar 02:42post reply

I didn't get it because I thought it looked ugly!

And normally I'm the one who's ok with forgiving Mortal Kombat and Arcana Heart characters!

"Re(2):Sirlin's Fantasy Strike" , posted Sat 24 Mar 03:47post reply

quote:
I'm trying to think, was this the one where there aren't really any inputs? Like Divekick, it probably suffers more than anything from amateur character design/art.

Rising Thunder felt kind of shallow to me. Rising Thunder, headed by the Cannon brothers and Seth Killian, also tried removing special inputs and simply assigned each special to its own button (with an associated cool down timer.) But while the game was officially designed with the idea of removing the execution wall, from what I recall they went ahead and built a combo system based on long combos with timing intensive links anyway? (Rising Thunder was cancelled a few years back when the developing studio was bought by Riot Games.)

Fantasy Strike, headed by David Sirlin, is a bit more... Well, it is honestly a bit harder to judge. With Fantasy Strike, Sirlin does a lot more than just remove direction inputs from specials. The life bar is changed into marked segments (with tougher characters having more segments) and the idea of chip damage is changed as well. You automatically reverse regular throws if you are standing in your idle state, which requires the rather risky commitment of not touching any controls at all. I like the way that the charge character, Geiger, handles his charging. There are other nice bits, like invincible moves flash white. The game also has an intentionally wide 8-frame input buffer. Your super meter also fills automatically.

However, Fantasy Strike does feel limited due to a few decisions.

First, there just aren't many moves. There is one attack button, and you can perform six basic attacks (three on the ground and three in the air, the three being Neutral+Attack, Forward+Attack, and Back+Attack.) There are two special buttons, and you can perform four specials (two on the ground and two in the air). There is one super button, and you can perform two supers (ground and air). In theory, this probably *should* be enough moves, if they are all useful. But it still feels limited, like you should be able to do more, even if you don't really need to be able to do more.

Second, and this is the really controversial bit, is that the game does away with "up" and "down" direction inputs. For jumping, you get a jump button, though you can remap that to the up direction. The controversial bit is what this does to the whole high/mid/low attack/block game, in that it completely removes it. There are no low attacks and there is no low block. This means there are no height mix-ups. (This makes throwing more important, which is also why it is important that attempting to reverse a throw means giving up your block and your attack.) This is also part of why there are so few moves, as you can't have Down+Attack or Up+Attack moves when you don't have down or up.

Fantasy Strike certainly is not Divekick. I just can't decide how I really feel about it. I wish it was more successful, just because I like several of its ideas. At the same time, I cannot help but feel limited when I do play it. It probably doesn't help that it is a roster of unknowns.

"Re(3):Sirlin's Fantasy Strike" , posted Sun 25 Mar 23:01post reply

Remind me, is Fantasy Strike the game where you can't crouch and attack animations are stolen from SF4? While trying new things is interesting that doesn't automatically make it good. It feels like Fantasy Strike exists more as a series of questions about other fighters than as a game that has its own identity. When it comes to simple but different SNK Heroines might be doing it better.

Neo0r0chiaku
389th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Fighting Game Thread Spring 2018" , posted Sun 29 Apr 02:13post reply

quote:

- Street Fighter 30th Anniversay Collection (feat.Exodus) / Spring
- SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy / Summer
- Fighting EX Layer / TBA
- Soul Calibur VI / TBA
- Blade Strangers /TBA

Can we have this list updated?
I think Under Night was released this year as well. I know there was another fighting game announced but can't seem to remember.

Long Live I AM!
Professor
5413th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Fighting Game Thread Spring 2018" , posted Mon 30 Apr 01:10:post reply

quote:

- Soul Calibur VI / TBA
- Blade Strangers /TBA

I think Under Night was released this year as well. I know there was another fighting game announced but can't seem to remember.

I'll have it updated hopefully within the week! It's been oddly busy since right before the holidays.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 30 Apr 01:11]

"Re(3):Fighting Game Thread Spring 2018" , posted Mon 30 Apr 05:41post reply

quote:

- Soul Calibur VI / TBA
- Blade Strangers /TBA

I'll have it updated hopefully within the week! It's been oddly busy since right before the holidays.

Blade Stranges is said to be slated this Summer.

Neo0r0chiaku
390th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Fighting Game Thread Spring 2018" , posted Mon 30 Apr 08:15post reply

quote:

- Soul Calibur VI / TBA
- Blade Strangers /TBA

Thanks Prof! I want to make sure I purchase the new wave of fighting games this year.

Long Live I AM!

PSN: SeizyaStarlight

"Soramimi!" , posted Mon 30 Apr 12:49post reply

My youngest brother may like Mary, but he can't like the new voice actress at all. He still prefers Ikoma Harumi-han. Do you know what he thinks he hears instead of "Vertical Arrow! Snatch!" now? "Birds Colorado! Smack!" Also, for some reason, he prefers "Blue Mary's Blues" instead of "Kiss Me". The latter feels too serious for him to be Mary's song.

"Tag Team Frenzy" is his birthday present. He's enjoying "DBF". It's okay? I would love to see Bamco make a new "Yuu Yuu Hakusho" fighter though.

"Taki" , posted Wed 2 May 00:05post reply

Another character snuck out early. I like the Hoichi style spells appearing on her unitard. Finally, her outfit has an in-game explanation!

Just a Person
1962th Post

"Re(1):Taki" , posted Wed 2 May 11:14post reply

quote:
Another character snuck out early. I like the Hoichi style spells appearing on her unitard. Finally, her outfit has an in-game explanation!

I'm glad Taki is back! But... shouldn't she look older considering the time skip between SCIV and SCV? Or is SCVI taking place between both games (like SFIV and SFV taking place between SFII and SFIII)?

"Re(2):Taki, Justice" , posted Wed 2 May 12:15post reply

Isn't Soul Calibur VI a remake of the first game? Hence the reversion to (superior) old character designs and movesets?

In other news, it's the celebration of Madman Cafe's favorite fighting game, in the form of a bunch of fanart. It's of variable quality, though I highly recommend the Gedo High School joyride on page 83, and I like the turnout. It's also clearly better than the Udon comic.

"Re(3):Taki, Justice" , posted Wed 2 May 22:34post reply

quote:
Isn't Soul Calibur VI a remake of the first game? Hence the reversion to (superior) old character designs and movesets?

It's a prequel soft reboot... maybe. Or perhaps it's a situation more like Samurai Shodown: Warriors Rage where SC5 will be tossed in a hole and never mentioned again. Either way, we're back to the more iconic character designs so I'm happy.

quote:
In other news, it's the celebration of Madman Cafe's favorite fighting game, in the form of a bunch of fanart. It's of variable quality, though I highly recommend the Gedo High School joyride on page 83, and I like the turnout. It's also clearly better than the Udon comic.

I'm impressed to see that there's still so much interest in Justice Gakuen. Could a sequel reboot be the next big thing?

Just a Person
1963th Post

"Re(3):Taki, Justice" , posted Wed 2 May 22:47post reply

quote:

By first game, do you mean Soul Edge or Soul Calibur?

But even if it's the second, isn't Zasalamel confirmed for SCVI? Does that mean he's going to be retroactively included in the events that took place before his debut in SCIII?

...And why am I bothering about all of this? What really matters is that Taki is back, YAY!!!

"Re(4):Taki, Justice" , posted Thu 3 May 03:06post reply

quote:

It's a prequel soft reboot... maybe. Or perhaps it's a situation more like Samurai Shodown: Warriors Rage where SC5 will be tossed in a hole and never mentioned again. Either way, we're back to the more iconic character designs so I'm happy.

My one disagreement is that I think Mitsurugi looks better older.

neo0r0chiaku
393th Post

Silver Customer

"Rival Schools vs SNK Schools" , posted Thu 3 May 23:49post reply

quote:
bunch of fanart. It's of variable quality, though I highly recommend the Gedo High School joyride on page 83, and I like the turnout. It's also clearly better than the Udon comic.

It is said that a fighters honor to its rival is, "I and only I, will only be allowed to defeat my foe first and foremost, no one shall interfere or challenge my rival until thou is defeated by my fists."

In a certain dimension, students from various high schools not only compete in academics and sports, some compete to show who has the best fighting skills in the area. Students have certain rivals that they constantly do battle with for various reasons. Some fight for different causes, intentions, and motives. However, an unknown entity has wreak havoc in the area. Various messengers have approached certain fighters informing them that they are originally from another dimension. This unknown entity's plan is to either mentally control or force these fighters to be in their army of elite fighters. Each fighter, and its rival, will join together in a temporary pact to battle there way through fighters of other schools who have been overcome by the mind control of the entity. The goal is to completely defeat this unknown entity and its army. Welcome to Rival Schools vs SNK Schools.

Rival School characters:
Batsu Ichimonji - Lead Character
Akira Kazama
Shoma Sawamura
Edge
Kyosuke Kagami
Hinata Wakaba
Roy Bromwell
Hyo Imawano
Hayato Nekketsu
Daigo Kazama
Tiffany Lords
Natsu Ayuhara
Roberto Miura
Gan Isurugi
Boman Delgado

SNK Schools:
Shingo Yabuki - Lead Character
Kaede
Hokutomaru
Hotaru Futaba
Akari Ichijou
Cham Cham
Kazuki Kazama
HInako Shijou
Hibiki Takane
Mina Majikina
Yuki
Shizumaru Hisame
Rimururu
Rock Howard
May Lee

Rival Teams:
Batsu and Shingo
Kaede and Hyo
Hayato and Hokutomaru
Hinata and Akari
Tiffany and Cham Cham
Daigo and Kazuki
Gan and Hinako
Akira and Hibiki
Shoma and Mina
Edge and Yuki
Kyosuke and Shizumaru
Natsu and Hotaru
Roy and Rimururu
Boman and Rock
Roberto and May Lee

This is a dedication for Rival Schools 20th anniversary as a fan made idea of a new fighting game. Yes, its fake :)
If you like what you see I can add the names of the rival teams and the story behind them.

Long Live I AM!
KensouADV

62th Post

PSN: Mike_ADV
STM: tamakimike
Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Taki, Mary" , posted Fri 4 May 03:20:post reply

quote:
By first game, do you mean Soul Edge or Soul Calibur?

But even if it's the second, isn't Zasalamel confirmed for SCVI? Does that mean he's going to be retroactively included in the events that took place before his debut in SCIII?

Yeah, you also have Nightmare using Siegfried's body and Siegfried himself with a short hair version of his SCIII costume. Kilik has his full Dvapara-Yuga in his chest that was destroyed at the end of the first SoulCalibur and should prevent him from becoming crazy but he turns into Necalli when activating his Soul Charge. So maybe they'll do the MK9 approach and retell the first 3 Calibur games with a new edgy norse guy?

But yeah, Taki having the runes used in the SoulBlade intro in her body was a nice touch.

I'm just concerned about the health of the development team since I have bad memories about what Daishi and the late Project Soul passed during V

quote:
My youngest brother may like Mary, but he can't like the new voice actress at all. He still prefers Ikoma Harumi-han. Do you know what he thinks he hears instead of "Vertical Arrow! Snatch!" now? "Birds Colorado! Smack!" Also, for some reason, he prefers "Blue Mary's Blues" instead of "Kiss Me". The latter feels too serious for him to be Mary's song.

Well, just tell him to mod his game as he pleases. And honestly, I never really understand half of what Terry and Mary says in the previous games. Like is her intro "Hey, big boy" or "Here we go"? At least Terry always made pretty clear when he was asking about my well being during his MOTW iteration.

[this message was edited by KensouADV on Fri 4 May 03:52]

Lord SNK
293th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Rival Schools vs SNK Schools" , posted Fri 4 May 03:45post reply

quote:

SNK Schools:

Hibiki Takane

Now I want this game

"Re(7):Taki, Mary" , posted Fri 4 May 07:24post reply

quote:
So maybe they'll do the MK9 approach and retell the first 3 Calibur games with a new edgy norse guy?

Don’t give them ideas about how to bring back Rock!

"Re(8):Taki, Mary" , posted Fri 4 May 09:45post reply

quote:
So maybe they'll do the MK9 approach and retell the first 3 Calibur games with a new edgy norse guy?

Don’t give them ideas about how to bring back Rock!

“Banguuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!”

Neo0r0chiaku
394th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Rival Schools vs SNK Schools" , posted Fri 4 May 20:39post reply

quote:

SNK Schools:

Hibiki Takane

Now I want this game

Hibiki, who is an expert in precision and wants to perfect her skills, is a rival to Akira who Hibiki views as a threat to her perfection as a fighter. Akira, who dons the mask, taunts Hibiki about not being able to beat Akira as she proves that no one can beat her as she strives to remain undefeated.
The name of this team is the Deadly Innocent Queens.

Long Live I AM!
Professor
5416th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Fighting Game list updated!" , posted Mon 7 May 01:48:post reply

Ok so I've finally had time to update the fighting games release schedule list for 2018! Please tell me if I'm missing anything, thanks.

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13685.shtml#0

On a side note-- for anyone who has JP-PSNPlus, you have 2 more days to pick up the latest Blazblue title for free. Don't forget!

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 7 May 01:51]

Neo0r0chiaku
395th Post

Silver Customer

"Capcom Character Symbols" , posted Fri 11 May 00:08post reply

Hey Cafe,
Does anyone know what does the symbol on Jin (from Cyberbots) back stand for in Japanese and it's English translation? Also can anyone find the Japanese text for Akuma's Shun Goku Satsu?

Also in a unexpected and possibly in another dimension but excited if true that Azure Striker Gunvolt will be playable in the upcoming fighting game Blade Strangers.

Thanks

Long Live I AM!
Professor
5419th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Capcom Character Symbols" , posted Fri 11 May 03:34post reply

quote:
Hey Cafe,
Does anyone know what does the symbol on Jin (from Cyberbots) back stand for in Japanese and it's English translation? Also can anyone find the Japanese text for Akuma's Shun Goku Satsu?

Also in a unexpected and possibly in another dimension but excited if true that Azure Striker Gunvolt will be playable in the upcoming fighting game Blade Strangers.

Thanks

Referring to this picture, Jin's back says
宇宙一
which reads as "Uchuu Ichi" and means "Number 1 in Outer Space".

Akuma's Shungoku satsu is written as
瞬獄殺
and the text in the back is

Lord SNK
296th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Capcom Character Symbols" , posted Fri 11 May 03:36post reply

quote:
Hey Cafe,

From here:

quote:

The back of Jin's uniform originally had a quarter of an Imperial Japanese flag sewn on that used to adorn his father's VA. His costume already being very complicated to draw, it was changed for Marvel vs. Capcom with the kanji 宇宙一(Best in Space) since that could also be flipped on sprites.

"Re(1):The Binding of Shovel Strangers" , posted Fri 11 May 09:11post reply

quote:

This game just keeps getting crazier and crazier...

"Re(2):Capcom Character Symbols" , posted Fri 11 May 09:16post reply

quote:
瞬獄殺

Ah, a blast from the past~
MESSATSU

In SFV, he displays a made-up kanji for "Shin" as "god-like man," original from an unrelated comic I don't remember. Pretty lame.

"Re(2):The Binding of Shovel Strangers" , posted Sat 12 May 00:17post reply

quote:

This feels like those joke illustrations about random guest characters who might show up in Smash but this is all true.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P - THE FOOL

"Re(3):Capcom Character Symbols" , posted Sat 12 May 01:34post reply

quote:
In SFV, he displays a made-up kanji for "Shin" as "god-like man," original from an unrelated comic I don't remember. Pretty lame.

I think the made-up kanji came from CvS2? And then it appeared in everyone's favourite CFJ as well if I'm not mistaken.

Lord SNK
298th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):The Binding of Shovel Strangers" , posted Sat 12 May 03:15post reply

quote:

Art from our goddess

"Re(3):The Binding of Shovel Strangers" , posted Sat 12 May 04:47post reply

quote:
Art from our goddess

I adore Kinu, though I also blame her art for making me buy/considering buying some pretty weak-ass games. Actually buying Code of Princess was bad enough, but then she almost convinced me to get that dungeon-crawling card game...and I don't like card games (which are not Triple Triad).
quote:
I think the made-up kanji came from CvS2? And then it appeared in everyone's favourite CFJ as well if I'm not mistaken.

Indeed, CvS2 was the first use of it in Street Fighter, even though it's tacky enough to feel like a SFV move. But the fake kanji itself was drawn from a comic, can't recall which, and can't very well search for it without spending more than three seconds, which is more than Gouki deserves! It's regrettable that the venerable CFJ will never be associated with the "creation of a new kanji," which would have been an even more hysterical legacy.

Neo0r0chiaku
397th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Capcom Character Symbols" , posted Sat 12 May 21:52post reply

quote:
Hey Cafe,

Thanks

Referring to this picture, Jin's back says
宇宙一
which reads as "Uchuu Ichi" and means "Number 1 in Outer Space".

瞬獄殺

Thanks for all the information guys. Good stuff and a trip back to memory lane. I wonder what other iconic symbols were around for capcom characters.

As for Blade Strangers, it will continue to be stranger I hope!

Long Live I AM!
Just a Person
1966th Post

"Re(3):Capcom Character Symbols" , posted Sun 13 May 01:22post reply

quote:
As for Blade Strangers, it will continue to be stranger I hope!

Many people at Eventhubs are speculating Shantae will probably be announced for this game in the next few days... let's hope it becomes true!

"Re(4):Capcom Character Symbols" , posted Mon 14 May 02:13post reply

The most fun I've had watching Street Fighter in years

"Capcom Character Blankachan" , posted Mon 14 May 03:11post reply

This is the best thing to come out of this game this year.

GekigangerV
2019th Post

"Re(1):Capcom Character Blankachan" , posted Mon 14 May 06:08post reply

quote:
This is the best thing to come out of this game this year.

They are like Minions, but less annoying. I kinda wish I knew how to sew so I could make myself plushies of these things.

Professor
5428th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Move to Summer!" , posted Mon 14 May 23:44:post reply

Let's move to summer!

http://www.mmcafe.com/bbs/threadview.html?13698

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 14 May 23:47]