PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"RANDOM GAMES #39: Diorama Edition" , posted Sat 23 Jan 05:43post reply

Previous thread: >>RANDOM GAMES #38

Our threads have been very specific lately, but in the tradition of vagueness and not-quite-that-important news, we are ditching the endless quarantine theme of the 2020 Random Thread in a hopeful gesture, and replacing it with talk about dioramas. So: how about this new Sakaguchi Hironobu game Fantasian that appears to be made entirely out of actual diorams? I wish it weren't on Apple Arcade, but in terms of obscure console choices in Japan for the fatherof Final Fantasy, I guess this beats the...Xbox 360?!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Replies:

user profileedit/delete message

"Farewell to USGamer" , posted Mon 1 Feb 15:49post reply

The venerable games site and 1up.com successor USGamer is closing down. That really sucks! It was a very MMC-relevant site given its long-form writing and older staff (including some 1990s Gaming Intelligence Agency alum) with a retro games bent that the original Retronaut Jeremy “toasty frog” Parrish set in motion while he was there.

The reason, as ever, is the evolving (declining) state of media in a social media hell age, so I guess it means we will get our news from twitter PR, occasional odd newspaper columns, or hired carnival barkers charitably called “influencers,” so I guess that sets us back to...pre-1990, really?!

Once again, the Cafe stands high as all the old internet has fallen away, but I wasn’t particularly hoping we’d be victors by default.

Ungenesis
551th Post

PSN: entropytempts
XBL: ungenesis9
Wii: SW-3287-7029-8309(Switch)
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Farewell to USGamer" , posted Tue 2 Feb 10:05post reply

Their "big sister" site, Eurogamer, is still alive and well. It's not the same, but surely better than nothing.

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Switch: SW-3287-7029-8309

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):Farewell to USGamer" , posted Tue 2 Feb 11:37post reply

quote:
Once again, the Cafe stands high as all the old internet has fallen away, but I wasn’t particularly hoping we’d be victors by default.

Nobody wants to win through disqualification. I want to destroy our enemies and sit upon a throne of their skulls! Wait, that's not the right attitude...

Too bad USGamer has gone into the great beyond. It's nice to think that the internet is large enough to provide space for anything, such as the more unique approach of USGamer. However, time and again I've been proven wrong.

"Re(2):Farewell to USGamer" , posted Tue 2 Feb 16:26post reply

quote:

Nobody wants to win through disqualification. I want to destroy our enemies and sit upon a throne of their skulls! Wait, that's not the right attitude...

Too bad USGamer has gone into the great beyond. It's nice to think that the internet is large enough to provide space for anything, such as the more unique approach of USGamer. However, time and again I've been proven wrong.

I think that magazines and highly focused/idiosyncratic publications can still exist, as basically a dozen well-monetizing niche Patreons show. I do think that trying to sell "subscriptions" in a fashion which is crudely translated from print media to internet simply isn't as effective as how Patreons allow idiosyncratic and tailored monetizations which actually allow enthusiastic readers to give MORE money.

One of the things I particularly would like to see is a reduction in need for up-to-the-second news which is often little more than the PR out of the company's own mouth with no insight. I think it'd be tremendously more valuable for what journalists (like, actual journalists!) are in the employ to actually compose thoughtful analysis of particular news things as they pertain to particular topics that that journalist is actively covering. Needing to be driven by clickbait results in the entire content of the publication being diluted by clickbait, when ad impressions is already a largely nonfunctional method of earning revenue for all but the most cosmically large sites.

One of the very important points of basically any game design is "how do you intend to make money from this game". It sounds callous, but it's incredibly important and is something that was absolutely a consideration in the design of iconic classic arcade and console games. Freeware games are also a thing, and they can be wonderful, too! But if you decide that your game is to generate a profit as a means of generating livelihoods, then that has very real implications for the design of your game. People haven't stopped reading regardless of the prevalence of streaming media, and there are now more ways than ever for words to enter people's eyes!

I have previously wondered if "constellation" publications/journalism "channels" are possible, where a bunch of interested journalists form a loose association such that they can gattai their clout much like larger publications of the past. Something more formal than a feed of the twitters you follow, but less formal than a monthly fixed publication.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(3):Farewell to USGamer" , posted Tue 2 Feb 19:22post reply

quote:
One of the things I particularly would like to see is a reduction in need for up-to-the-second news which is often little more than the PR out of the company's own mouth with no insight. I think it'd be tremendously more valuable for what journalists (like, actual journalists!) are in the employ to actually compose thoughtful analysis of particular news things as they pertain to particular topics that that journalist is actively covering. Needing to be driven by clickbait results in the entire content of the publication being diluted by clickbait, when ad impressions is already a largely nonfunctional method of earning revenue for all but the most cosmically large sites.

The issue with that is that mainstream news site also suffer from this issue.
So the moment someone intend on actually doing journalism appears, like Jason Shreier, they are whisked away to a mainstream news site because of the dearth of actual original content driving visits there.
Ironically, his piece on Cyberpunk 2077 was super dull because he had to cut the most interesting anecdotes so that the casual Bloomberg reader wouldn't be confused, apparently. Though his article on Amazon is much better.

I think the other way is to divert from the news and invested into entertaining original content and personalities. Yahtzee or Brian David Gilbert doing their own weird thing has probably driven a lot more traffic to Polygon's Youtube channel than boring content "so, is the new AAA game any good?". Obviously, the issues there is that you're at the mercy of Youtube for your revenue, which is never a good idea, and also that investing in creative people is a long and expensive process, and you can't expect these people to stay doing their thing forever, as BDG's departure shows. Plus the risk of a milkshake duck is always high, especially in gaming.

That leaves us with... Gamasutra, I guess? Haven't visited there in a while. Is it still good? Is it healthy?

"Re(4):Farewell to USGamer" , posted Wed 3 Feb 04:15post reply

quote:
that leaves us with... GamaSutra?

After thinking about it a bit more, I do realize that what is interesting to me and other oldsters around here is also often of a particular level of interest: as Iggy mentions with the difference between Bloomberg articles and Kotaku articles by Schrier, different audiences sometimes need to be written for differently, or have a different bent. The business aspect of a cultural thing for a business publication leads to different articles than the cultural aspect of a cultural thing written for a history publication.

Or you could say: kids are all up in Roblox while we're busy trying to divine the future for SNK in light of SNK's history and present.

gamesindustry.biz has some good articles, but as its name suggests, it is very focused on the business side of things. Even if you were to look at their "Development" section, it's still all focused on business.

gamasutra has a lot more of the design and "from the trenches" type articles, but the site's messy and it doesn't do a good job of separating out the strictly informational updates (e.g. "Company A bought Company B") from the ones which contain analysis. There's a "blogs" thing, but the blogs thing has such a huge mash of stuff from such a huge number of people that it feels like it puts a lot of onus on the reader to do the filtering.

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):Farewell to USGamer" , posted Wed 3 Feb 06:05post reply

quote:
After thinking about it a bit more, I do realize that what is interesting to me and other oldsters around here is also often of a particular level of interest: as Iggy mentions with the difference between Bloomberg articles and Kotaku articles by Schrier, different audiences sometimes need to be written for differently, or have a different bent.

From what I've read elsewhere, Bloomberg restricts Schrier's article lengths, which also prevents him from doing the more in-depth features that he did at Kotaku.

"Re(6):Farewell to USGamer" , posted Thu 4 Feb 06:59post reply

quote:
After thinking about it a bit more, I do realize that what is interesting to me and other oldsters around here is also often of a particular level of interest: as Iggy mentions with the difference between Bloomberg articles and Kotaku articles by Schrier, different audiences sometimes need to be written for differently, or have a different bent.

From what I've read elsewhere, Bloomberg restricts Schrier's article lengths, which also prevents him from doing the more in-depth features that he did at Kotaku.

That also doesn't surprise me, and I think just points out the value of having different editorial interests for different publications imposing different restrictions. There is value in concise overview articles! There's also value in lengthy nitty-gritty articles!

Frankly if I had to run a news-like (as in rogue-like) website, I'd have one entire section of the site cordoned off as the "PR FEED!" which would effectively be run by a bot that just crawls the tweets and PR releases of companies and puts that into its own little div in the website that users can just choose to scroll past or that they can dive into and endlessly scroll in. That way I could have entirely separated "update" pings to the site's feed and readers that they can filter: if they want the "PR FEED" they can, if they just wanted authored content by writers/creators from the site they can, etc. It simply isn't worth someone's time to do "PR release plus extremely minor amount of context that doesn't really meaningfully add to the release" as their job, and I also wouldn't want that element of the news to dilute the higher value updates and search results that come from the work of writers/journos/etc. on the site. I have no idea if that would actually work, but it's the kind of site I myself would be more interested in looking at.

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(7):Farewell to USGamer" , posted Thu 4 Feb 20:37post reply

quote:
I'd have one entire section of the site cordoned off as the "PR FEED!"
On one hand, I would actually like that. Aggregator sites with PR feeds synthesized in just a few words so you don't even have to click.
Like "New character added to SF5: Dan"
over "Capcom adds major addition to their long-standing legendary Street Fighter Franchise! The new challenger is...[truncated, click to know more!]"

In the end, matome sites are already kinda like that. Just scrolling through Hachima (and ignoring all the dumb gossip about nobodies and all the far-right nonsense) allows to gather at least a few headlines on topics that don't particularly interest me but I'm happy to get some mild updates on.
Though, then, I'm sure "clickbait" is not something that was created for nothing. I'm sure you get more revenue by forcing people to click on links than to simply have the page available so you can simply glance at it without any active engagement.

"Re(8):Farewell to Nobunaga" , posted Fri 19 Feb 04:37post reply

It's been too long since Nobunaga showed up in a game so to make up for that he's not only back but he's apparently been working out and wants to show off his arms.

Stubbs the Zombie is back, and he brought a big, expensive collector's edition with him. Seriously!

Blasphemous and Bloodstained are joining forces to help create Metroidvania Voltron.

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(9):Farewell to Nobunaga" , posted Fri 19 Feb 07:53post reply

quote:
It's been too long since Nobunaga showed up in a game so to make up for that he's not only back but he's apparently been working out and wants to show off his arms.

It's kind of sad that it's going to focus on Nobunaga but Kosugi isn't Nobunaga anymore. And yet, babyface Mitsuhide is still Hikaru Midorikawa. It's as though Kosugi was actually Nobunaga's beard all along while his true voice had been silent.

It does make me wonder if maybe they'll follow through on the thing they tried to do with the Sanada spinoff, and have young and old versions of every character? If so that could be pretty interesting.

"Re(9):Farewell to Nobunaga" , posted Fri 19 Feb 08:00post reply

quote:

After Nioh 2 being all about Stupid Sexy Young Nobunaga, I guess it shows when KT has an idea, they roll with it for a few games... how many games about the 3 Kingdoms have they made, yet?

Lord SNK
497th Post

Gold Customer

"Seaside Vacation" , posted Mon 22 Feb 21:53post reply

I can't find it, I know we wrote about 13 Sentinels in some thread here somewhere, I don't remember if it was a dedicated thread or not.
By the way, I got the game, I was dubious about the real time/tower defense aspect of the gameplay (a type of game that usually I hate and thought it could be a deal breaker). But I love their games, so I tried, and wow, I am amazed to what they were able to cram in the story, there is literally everything vaguely or tangentially related to sci-fi in there, it's fantastic. Anything else I could write about the story would be a giant spoiler, I think this is a game that must be played with knowing the less possible about the story outside of the 2 or 3 things showed in the trailers.
And that song played in that mission, oh wow, that was E P I C.
I haven't completed the game yet, I'm on the last mission, I don't know if they can surprise me with something even bigger for the ending, but who knows. I had to write this as I can't stop listening to that song. Or I don't want the game to ends. Send help.

I forgot, the gameplay it's funny, not too difficult, upgrades helps a lot, initially you sucks and can't do much with what you get to use, but when you start to update the right things and abuse the system you can annihilate everything (at least at normal difficulty).

"The lady will see you now" , posted Fri 26 Feb 19:14post reply

Just when we thought the memes around Lady Dimitrescu in Village were dying down, we just found out her Japanese VA is eternally 17 years old. Fitting for a vampire!
Has she ever played such sadistic roles? Is it the first time you can have Inoue Kikuko step on you? Now that's the kind of new barrier I want video games to break!

"Re(1):The lady will see you now" , posted Sat 27 Feb 02:15post reply

quote:

Has she ever played such sadistic roles?

She's I-no in Guilty Gear!

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(2):The lady will see you now" , posted Sat 27 Feb 07:30post reply

quote:

She's I-no in Guilty Gear!

Just when I thought she couldn't be any better than she already is!

"Re(3):The lady will see you now" , posted Sun 28 Feb 04:35post reply

quote:
her Japanese VA is eternally 17 years old
Is it the first time you can have Inoue Kikuko step on you?
Has she ever played such sadistic roles?

There have been strong suspicions that Inoue (actual age: 56 (! (!?!!))) will always be a highly dangerous eternal 17-year-old since at least as early as her appearance in the superior Mega CD versions of Lunar as a character who is both a teenage childhood sweetheart and a brainwashed heels-wearing bondage goddess, in which she may or may not step directly on you, but does provide the laser in a steam-powered mobile castle-tank that effectly steps on enemy towns by rolling over them. So I think this is a logical progression!

My most recent outing with her was in Dragon's Crown, where I'm pretty sure my overpowered Sorceress might have stepped on things, or at least pranced stylishly around the screen in heels while zapping enemies.

"Re(4):The lady will see you now" , posted Wed 10 Mar 04:30post reply

Recently I tried two games that not only take inspiration from other games but expand upon them in new ways that may or may not work.

First up, is Remnant: From the Ashes. That poorly worded, janky title is appropriate for a game that is yet another low budget Dark Souls clone. As you would expect, there are bonfires, healing flasks and a world of decay that resets whenever you save your progress. The difference is that instead of poking monsters to death with medieval weapons you are using firearms. Yes, your character still spends an embarrassing amount of time rolling around on the ground like a modern-day Morph Ball. However, the change in weapons also means getting rid of blocking, backstabbing, riposte and all those other genre staples. In its place you have to blast your way through hordes of enemies before they can swarm you. Right now I'm playing as a cowboy with shamanistic powers who is putting daylight through eldritch horrors with a shotgun. That's a weird hot-pot of ideas but I'm enjoying the mixture.

For the second game I recently realized I was the last person on planet Earth who had not tried Fortnite so I had to do something about that. After running a few matches I can't understand why this game became the biggest thing since the last big thing. I'm not saying that as a grumpy old person complaining about the kids today, I honestly don't know why it was Fortnite that captured the zeitgeist of the times. Is it the art style? Is it the payment plan of free upfront and pay through the nose later (a plan popular with both credit card companies and drug dealers)? There must be thousands of papers and meetings held on why this particular game has gotten all the money.

Am I missing something in the way it plays? When I went into battle royale mode I found the fighting straightforward if simple, and a building mechanic that was obviously designed for a different game. In spite of never having played I still won two of the four games I participated in on the first day. Since I'm not Death that Walks that either means I was either knocking off hyperactive ten year olds who couldn't shoot straight or I was wasn't playing according to the game's meta. Was playing to win the wrong approach? Is Fortnite the modern equivalent to an arcade, where people hang out and occasionally play a game? Is it an absurdist social phenomenon, where you're supposed to dress up like a banana, do dance moves and then all stand around in a circle and shoot each other like it's the finale of a Hong Kong gangster movie? I don't understand Fortnite and I'm not certain it's worth paying $20 to play as a xenomorph to find out.

"NIER-ly time for release" , posted Sat 20 Mar 00:06:post reply

quote:
I'm not certain it's worth paying $20 to play as a xenomorph
Lord SNK's 13 Sentinalful vacation
I meant to say I was really glad to hear this Vanillaware report! The over-familiar setting kept me away, but it sounds like I'm missing out. Also, "Xenomorph" may have sold Fortnite for me! Actually, randomly fooling around seems to be the name of the game in Valheim, so maybe that's what Western games are all about now. Now, I must get back to building my elaborate flower garden in Animal Crossing, so...

MEANWHILE IT IS ALMOST TIME FOR THE NIER REPLICANT REMAKE
I'm typing this listening to the godly intensity of Nier Automata’s fierce battle track Dipolar Nightmare and wondering what veterans of the original Nier are thinking as the remake is approaching. That, and whatever Nier Reincarnation was. You see, I've studiously avoided all post-Nier Automata stage plays, novels, etc. in what is obviously my mental defense mechanism after having finally managed to obtain a fairly happy ending for these poor characters in Ending E after 40 hours of intense mental distress and profound/harrowing brilliance.

I'd be glad to see Replicant become as Automata-like as possible art- and design-wise. I realized that what attracted me to a game like Automata that would otherwise be far too emotionally terrifying was the extravagant gorgeousness of the character designs and music that was already clear on its PR site. I don't remember if Nier Replicant had Yoshida Akihiko on designs, but the PS3 game’s promo art was boring, even more so with the Japanese copies since at least the American one caught your eye for being an early "dad game" by transforming the hero from a brother to a father.

Any experts on what's coming? Is it time to get excited??

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 20 Mar 00:10]

Lord SNK
505th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):NIER-ly time for release" , posted Sun 21 Mar 00:36post reply

quote:

I'm no expert, but playing Nier/Automata was my lockdown project last year (just after I bought PS3 Nier, they announced the remake, what a luck!).
Everything should be better than the original (smoohter gameplay, moves, etc) but the updated graphics seems to change the "atmosphere" of the original. I'm talking specifically of Kainé, the new look is a bit off. Considering how much she is foul-mouthed in the game, that "soft" looking face/expression with a side of moe is not what I expected.

"Re(2):NIER-ly time for release" , posted Sun 21 Mar 07:04post reply

quote:

I'm no expert, but playing Nier/Automata was my lockdown project last year (just after I bought PS3 Nier, they announced the remake, what a luck!).
Everything should be better than the original (smoohter gameplay, moves, etc) but the updated graphics seems to change the "atmosphere" of the original. I'm talking specifically of Kainé, the new look is a bit off. Considering how much she is foul-mouthed in the game, that "soft" looking face/expression with a side of moe is not what I expected.

Yeah, I agree. The technology that allows for rounder faces and more flesh-like flesh is nice and all, but I think the inhuman whiteness of Kaine (as opposed to the more albino look she has now) along with the harsh angles of her face that went along with her harsh manner of speaking helped make the character better.

On a similar note, I think the story which Nier tells by being about a father and a daughter works better than it being about a brother and a sister. In particular, a lot of things which Nier does in ignorance when he's the one who has to come across as "knowing better" and "raising a child" I think work much more strongly in a parent/child relationship than in a sibling one where the two are more equal.

In particular, father Nier doesn't have the angle of "well he's just a dumb teenager" to lean on for his approach to things: if anything, the idea that he's lived an entire adult life doing this and he's so hardened in his ways that he just can't do otherwise, I think is much more powerful.

"Re(3):NIER-ly time for release" , posted Wed 24 Mar 03:28:post reply

quote:
"soft" looking face/expression with a side of moe is not what I expected.

the inhuman whiteness of Kaine (as opposed to the more albino look she has now) along with the harsh angles of her face that went along with her harsh manner of speaking helped make the character better.
Very interesting! I see how the often unintentionally harsh look of 3D faces on PS2/PS3 ended up being a good match; more than moe, her look now mostly matches that of 2A and Automata in general, so I get why they did it.

I remember from the glorious previous Nier thread that some people found Automata to be the first Yoko game that was not simply high-concept and clever, but actually pleasant to play. I guess the original Nier was kind of a grind? Will the new one fix that? 9S’ brief Route B was the only actual repetition that was formally required in all of Automata to see the full story. I'm interested in what people think of the original now.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 24 Mar 09:16]

Lord SNK
511th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Neoclassic games" , posted Fri 2 Apr 15:57post reply

PlatinumGames announces again Sol Cresta shooter saying it's not a joke
https://www.siliconera.com/platinumgames-joke-shooter-sol-cresta-is-real/.

I'm not big fan of shooter games, I'm pretty bad at them, but what I like is that they coined the term "Neo Classic Arcade".

"Re(1):Neoclassic games" , posted Fri 16 Apr 01:19post reply

Speaking of classic - or at least old - Getsu Fuma Den is getting a remake.

Ungenesis
555th Post

PSN: entropytempts
XBL: ungenesis9
Wii: SW-3287-7029-8309(Switch)
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Neoclassic games" , posted Sat 17 Apr 08:42post reply

quote:

Looks great! ... but there's no reason we should have got this before a Castlevania done in the same style. At least there's hope for an engine/asset reuse down the line.

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Switch: SW-3287-7029-8309
Lord SNK
513th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Neoclassic games" , posted Sat 17 Apr 17:28post reply

quote:

Is it a remake or a sequel?
Looks interesting, but sadly it is only PC(Steam) and Switch, no PSN?

"Random Wednesday" , posted Thu 22 Apr 00:20post reply

Tales of Arise gets a release date because Bamco wants money

Ace Attorney Chronicles announced for Switch/PS4/Steam, Herlock Sholmes renamed for obvious reasons and Phoenix is now half-Japanese because Takumi said "screw your hamburgers"

Lord SNK
517th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Random Wednesday" , posted Thu 22 Apr 00:28:post reply

quote:
Tales of Arise gets a release date because Bamco wants money

Ace Attorney Chronicles announced for Switch/PS4/Steam, Herlock Sholmes renamed for obvious reasons and Phoenix is now half-Japanese because Takumi said "screw your hamburgers"

"Herlock Sholmes"??? That's fantastic :D
So the rumor from earlier was true. Great, finally we can play these two games.
I hope we get also a physical edition.

Edit: At least for Japan, confirmed physical release for Switch and PS4, as preorder are open in some online store. Waiting for other regions.

[this message was edited by Lord SNK on Thu 22 Apr 22:45]

"Wuxia Fantasy VI: Chinese RPGs" , posted Sun 25 Apr 00:54post reply

I remember the Cafe was one of the few places in English to talk about then-hard-to-get Korean RPGs like Magna Carta—back in an era where it was hard to get PC games running if not from your region...and long before (I think) the easy ability to switch your PC’s language and region settings, let alone Steam! But meanwhile, I’d been missing out on Chinese RPGs too! Here’s a neat article on Chinese RPGs that are mostly unknown in the US and Japan. I know the Cafe has a some Chinese speakers and lots of wuxia fans, so I wonder if anyone has any favorites from this article?

"Re(1):Wuxia Fantasy VI: Chinese RPGs" , posted Tue 27 Apr 01:15post reply

quote:
I remember the Cafe was one of the few places in English to talk about then-hard-to-get Korean RPGs like Magna Carta—back in an era where it was hard to get PC games running if not from your region...and long before (I think) the easy ability to switch your PC’s language and region settings, let alone Steam! But meanwhile, I’d been missing out on Chinese RPGs too! Here’s a neat article on Chinese RPGs that are mostly unknown in the US and Japan. I know the Cafe has a some Chinese speakers and lots of wuxia fans, so I wonder if anyone has any favorites from this article?

One of the failings of the English language is that it doesn't conveniently have a way to distinguish nationality from language without clumsy suffixes. I know the article probably just means to say "Chinese-language RPGs", but it can easily come across as "RPGs from China", and my Taiwanese friends would absolutely take exception to that.

"Re(2):Wuxia Fantasy VI: Chinese-language RPGs" , posted Tue 27 Apr 01:45post reply

Good point! The article actually does a good job in differentiating between mainland China, Taiwan, and (less importantly, especially now, sadly) Hong Kong RPGs. Which are the COOLEST? I'd expect big budgets from Taiwanese ones, but I was frankly impressed by a lot of what I saw in that article!

Neo0r0chiaku
616th Post

PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: N/A
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Regular Member

"Finally.....a true G Darius HD" , posted Tue 25 May 23:38:post reply

Anyone else was able to grab the new G Darius HD game under the Darius Cosmic Revelations collection?

I have never played the game and was finally excited to get a good port of the game. A huge Darius fan and I think the wait paid off. I love how they cleaned the game to make it look polished and kept the sharp edges of the PS graphics which, for this type of game, it's a very good thing.

It's similar to what the Kronos Emulator does for Saturn games. It makes those games ever so beautiful to look at and play, especially with fixing those mesh into actual true transparency.

Back to G Darius HD, can't say much but it's very playable and challenging. I love it. Trying to beat it with one credit only and it's coming along fine.

They say it's harder then Darius Gaiden but I think it's not. It's shorter for sure then Gaiden, but not as difficult as one may seem. But then again, only made it to top path 4th stage so will see how it plays out in other paths.

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by Neo0r0chiaku on Tue 25 May 23:39]

Lord SNK
525th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Taito too!" , posted Sat 5 Jun 02:36post reply

Another mini arcade cabinet will be released soon!
I don't know what games will be on board, but I find very clever the screen rotation trick.

What is this? The 3rd or 4th mini cabinet thing?
There was the Neo Geo Mini, another one from Sega, and probably some other ones I forgot.

"Re(1):Taito too!" , posted Sat 5 Jun 22:49post reply

quote:
Another mini arcade cabinet will be released soon!
I don't know what games will be on board, but I find very clever the screen rotation trick.

What is this? The 3rd or 4th mini cabinet thing?
There was the Neo Geo Mini, another one from Sega, and probably some other ones I forgot.

Are these itty-bitty mini cabs popular? I've never tried one, but the ads make them look like they are designed for gashapon figures rather than human beings. At least the rotating screen and trackball attachments are clever engineering.

"game puzzle archetypes" , posted Mon 14 Jun 04:48post reply

I had a fever dream that Taito had somehow magically absorbed Toaplan so I could have all the greatest arcade spaceshooters in one place, but no such luck. Either way, this little machine is sharp.

Speaking of gaming foundations, I wanted to ask the Cafe luminaries for the origins of a type of recurring puzzle seen in various video games. I happened to be playing a cute little board game called Chickapig where each turn you advance one of your pieces all the way forward/sideways until hitting an obstacle (which you can use a turn to move), ultimately moving towards a goal area. Because everything relates back to SaGa, I realized that the earliest version of this mechanic I know of is in 1993's RomaSaGa 2 in the frozen Nazelle Strait, but I'm certain this puzzle type must be older than video games and widely used, just the way versions of ladder game Amidakuji appear in Estpolis/Lufia II and the archetypal Soukoban/Warehouse Box Mover format has been in everything from puzzle RPGs to Nier Automata, and surely comes from an earlier physical block game.

Does the slide-completely-till-hitting-a-block mechanic seem familiar to anyone pre-SaGa/outside of video games?

Pencilero

11th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Taito too!" , posted Mon 14 Jun 15:24post reply

quote:
Are these itty-bitty mini cabs popular? I've never tried one, but the ads make them look like they are designed for gashapon figures rather than human beings. At least the rotating screen and trackball attachments are clever engineering.

I'm always tempted when I see them on sale since they include a video output; but the SNK one offering limited continues was off putting because pushing 50 years of age I'd rather credit burn than "gitgud" in my limited free time.

Maybe at some point I'll cave, but in the meantime I'll throw money at SNK via Steam, or other platforms.

They're certainly attractive given the kawaii aesthetic, compared to the more feasible Arcade 1Up units. The eternal struggle of old man nostalgia, versus fiscal responsibility, and physical space in the house. :b

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus

"Motto Kunio" , posted Tue 15 Jun 05:43post reply

Wayforward announces River City Girls 2 and RCG Zero, the localized version of Kunio-tachi no Banka

Curious to see how they'll handle Banka's ending since they're adding stuff. Hope they don't cop out and say it was all a dream.

"Re(1):Motto Kunio" , posted Tue 15 Jun 12:47:post reply

More Kunio! Always the proper choice.

Meanwhile E3 announcementsblahblahblah but wait what's this? A strange collection (or possible non-collection) of the best Final Fantasy games that throws away the awful sprites from the cell phone versions of FFV and FFVI that are currently the "standard," but still replaces them with things that aren't the original? It's not quite like the Wonderswan or PS1 upgrades of FFI and II since the sprite detail on FFVI is actually worse than the original? How completely weird, and I don't understand why they can't just reproduce the originals like on the SFC Mini or Virtual Console, but I guess anything that banishes the mobile versions is progress?

edit: but I guess none of this is as strange as a Dark Souls-style FFI remake by Team Ninja (!?) with corny tough-guy dialogue, drab DmC (the badly dressed one) clothing choices, and modern ethnically diverse characters (don't worry, I'm sure the US dub will still ram in an accent for the black character like they did with Barett (checks: oh, I see they really did )).

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 15 Jun 13:17]

Pencilero

12th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Motto Kunio" , posted Tue 15 Jun 15:19post reply

quote:
Wayforward announces River City Girls 2 and RCG Zero, the localized version of Kunio-tachi no Banka

Curious to see how they'll handle Banka's ending since they're adding stuff. Hope they don't cop out and say it was all a dream.

I'm always torn on more Kunio games released in America, because I remember that long ago weekend of renting River City Ransom for the NES and some other game. At that time, RCR was the back-up game, I don't recall what big game we rented that weekend; but what I distinctly remember was not being impressed by the shiny game of the moment. Then popping in RCR and being captivated along with my friend.

We sat there, probably eating pizza and soft drinks while we enjoyed the late weekend during the school week; and enjoyed how we were each able to customize our player character and kick butt cooperatively.

I have such fond memories of that localization, which I'm not sure what the inspiration was from? West Side Story? Happy Days? Either way, I actually prefer the Westernized adaptation of the Kunio games. The Japanese school delinquent aesthetic of more recent releases, while true to the source material just leaves me cold.

So I don't mind if they take liberties with the localization, and I suspect I'm more inclined to enjoy the RCR Girls spin-offs since I don't have chonky greaser bois ingrained deep in my reptilian gamer brain.

Hey, maybe that could be the least popular DLC pack pitch? American street tough DLC? Or the more marketable reversal that would tick off fans would be, American street toughs are the default and Japanese delinquent fashions are the DLC. . . However in the interest of fairness, I'd be willing to pay to appease my nostalgia and not make other suffer. :b

Not to mention the inspired sprite work of RC Girls was much appreciated. So many indie and lower budget games default to the NES / 8-bit aesthetic, it was a relief to see something more 16-bit or arcade in it's presentation. I hope more developers will move beyond the NES / 8-bit cash grab and pick up the torch dropped by the CPS-3 or Dot Pixel styles of sprite work.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus