The 'Hey! I'm back' thread' - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (350 Views )
Kikkoken
1196th Post

user profileedit/delete message
Red Carpet Premium Member+

"The 'Hey! I'm back' thread'" , posted Fri 20 Apr 04:20post reply

Full title should read: ĎShould I create a thread just to say Ďhey! Iím back!!í thread

Hey guys! Iíve been away for a pretty long time now. For no special reason, except that Iíve been pretty busy with my work life, rather happy just playing video games, and musing without necessarily feeling the need to even put words on whatever silly/wacky/angry/nerdy thought I had, let alone share those --- with such a fine company as yours!
As part of my job (I teach linguistics now), last October, I was invited to carry out research on how people adapt what they say, or even their psychological attitudes, so as to Ďconvergeí with others. What was I to doÖ I said yes, letís do that, and suddenly, I thought of the MMC BBS. So many years spent there had got me acquainted with a very funny variety of strategies to converge to, and diverge from, one contributor to the next. Iíve nearly finished this article. Itís in French, but if it gets published, Iíll post a link for you to check it out. I chose 9 posts, one of which was by Toxico, to whom Iíll dedicate that article. Another one was by Iggy (how could itíve been otherwise!). Heís read a 1st draft of it, and I thank him again for his fact checking, and for all the precisions he gave me about the underlying, multi-layered, even tentacular communicative intentions that his 4 -line post was supposed to reflect. This research has been the first opportunity in years for me to combine my work and my passion. And it made me realise how much I missed this place, these people here, how I missed putting words on what I feel, however silly those thought may be.
Iím so pleased to be back.
I canít tell you how much Iím thrilled to read about the animation intricacies of Leonaís pigtail in KOF14, about the microswitches used in the original SNK coin ops (did I read that well?, well, hu cares! , itís the fun of it). Iím delighted to try and find a new hobby to Iggy (I think he should take cheerleading lessons, or open a tapenade food truck, or get into criminology; but macramť could be nice too, I canít wait to lay my hand on an Iggy-made basket, as BAD suggested).
I needed to thank you all for accepting me back. For the Professor to have said hi and for his kind compassionate words, and for Spoon to have shown (just a second ago) interest in my forthcoming article. (Itís in French, and not yet finished, but yes, Iíll see to it).

Replies:

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):The 'Hey! I'm back' thread'" , posted Fri 20 Apr 09:11post reply

Good to see you, it's been too long! The article you are working on sounds fascinating. If you have the chance please share it when it is complete; I would love to read it.

quote:
Hey guys! Iíve been away for a pretty long time now. For no special reason, except that Iíve been pretty busy with my work life, rather happy just playing video games, and musing without necessarily feeling the need to even put words on whatever silly/wacky/angry/nerdy thought I had, let alone share those --- with such a fine company as yours!

Ah, there's the problem. Most people who post on video game message boards only talk about games, they don't actually play the games. Who has time to enjoy a game when they are too busy using it as fodder to create a witty, disparaging post?

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):The 'Hey! I'm back' thread'" , posted Fri 20 Apr 10:10:post reply

Kikkoken! You've been very naughty in your absence, but if you start making your students read Cafe posts as part of a twisted homework assignment and then join the board, all will be forgiven. I'd actually really enjoy reading your work, too. I do maintain that the Cafe is somewhat unique among message boards in that English is the lingua franca, but there isn't an especially American or British quality to the conversation, cultural references, or clientele (which obviously relates to the first two). Now analyze that for me in a 3,000 word journal article by Monday!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 20 Apr 10:10]

Platinum Carpet V.I.P - IGGY ARI !

"Re(3):The 'Hey! I'm back' thread'" , posted Fri 20 Apr 22:03post reply

Spoiler alerts: there will be prostitutes.

Kikkoken
1200th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):The 'Hey! I'm back' thread'" , posted Sat 21 Apr 02:09post reply

Thank you for your replies! Ishmael, Iíve got a powerpoint version of my article that is in English. I need to change a few things here & there and when itís ready, Iíll find a way to share it with everyone here. Maou, forgiveness is deserved indeed, for me and students put in no less than 6 exacting hours to study a handful of posts. I can guarantee thereís been enough sweat to wash the naughtiness away! Not sure any will join the board, though, especially as they gathered I was a member, but who knows? (this last rhetoric question is not meant in any way to relate to Iggyís caveat).

"Re(5):The 'Hey! I'm back' thread'" , posted Sat 21 Apr 07:04post reply

quote:
Thank you for your replies! Ishmael, Iíve got a powerpoint version of my article that is in English. I need to change a few things here & there and when itís ready, Iíll find a way to share it with everyone here. Maou, forgiveness is deserved indeed, for me and students put in no less than 6 exacting hours to study a handful of posts. I can guarantee thereís been enough sweat to wash the naughtiness away! Not sure any will join the board, though, especially as they gathered I was a member, but who knows? (this last rhetoric question is not meant in any way to relate to Iggyís caveat).

Because Powerpoint files are just files, you could also just upload the powerpoint to a filehosting site like MEGA or Dropbox or even Google Drive, and then get a share link from it.

I'm super looking forward to this!

In the meantime, now that I know that you are a linguistics person, might I direct you to my dusty messy writing corner, where we discuss things about languages and stories and your presence will be warmly welcomed amidst the messiness.

Professor
5410th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):The 'Hey! I'm back' thread'" , posted Sat 21 Apr 13:24:post reply

Again, Kikkoken welcome back to the MMCafe BBS!

Ah yes, as we grow older we get sandwiched between work and trying to make time for life & hobbies!

With the Social media going mainstream, BBS/Forums are becoming a thing of the past, but the MMCafe still serves for having a quiet time and writing posts that won't get lost in a sea of Tweets, lol.

It would be interesting to check out your Powerpoint writing! I'm glad that the MMCafe helped out on research, haha. The easiest way I think would be to upload on either Google Docs or Microsoft Onedrive, which would make them viewable for even someone that doesn't own a powerpoint app.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 21 Apr 13:57]

PSN: SeizyaStarlight
CFN: n/a

"Re(7):The 'Hey! I'm back' thread'" , posted Mon 30 Apr 12:53post reply

You! You look familiar.

Welcome back! I'm surprised that I don't post here more ever since I got back myself. I blame Wily. Yes, that's it! I blame Wily!

Kikkoken
1204th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(8):The 'Hey! I'm back' thread'" , posted Thu 3 May 19:19post reply

Thank you Professor, thank you Seizya! I'm so glad this forum still exists, For one, I could never bring myself to be part of Tweeter or FB fanpages. Thank goodness there are still places like this where you can take some time to ponder & not lose track of former conversations. It's such an exquisite pleasure just to meander through the threads here. Let alone conducting research on it.

PSN: SeizyaStarlight
CFN: n/a

"Re(9):The 'Hey! I'm back' thread'" , posted Fri 4 May 12:41post reply

I use Twitter, but I still find myself posting here. I actually now have 3 off days a week as opposed to 2. So, I don't tweet like crazy.