RANDOM GAMES: Endless Quarantine - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5311 Views )

user profileedit/delete message
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"RANDOM GAMES: Endless Quarantine" , posted Sun 26 Apr 03:00post reply

I have no idea if the writing/game/art-in-game holds up, but the look this trailer pitches really tickles my nostalgia:
https://youtu.be/6Os0l6TkEEs

Hong Kong of the 90s is one of the few settings I feel truly romantic about.

Replies:

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):RANDOM GAMES: Endless Quarantine" , posted Mon 27 Apr 10:53post reply

quote:
I have no idea if the writing/game/art-in-game holds up, but the look this trailer pitches really tickles my nostalgia:
https://youtu.be/6Os0l6TkEEs

Hong Kong of the 90s is one of the few settings I feel truly romantic about.

I have not played a visual novel in 20 years, but for the life of me that little game looks so gorgeous that I feel impelled to give it a try! 80s-90s Hong Kong sure feels nostalgic and romantic to me.

While the setting is not quite the same, you may find Kowloon Generic Romance interesting. Although its dystopic, sci-fi recreation of the late Kowloon Walled City is a bit strange at times, the manga has a lot of charm.

A Talking about Japanese History sword in hand

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(2):RANDOM GAMES: Endless Quarantine" , posted Tue 28 Apr 05:06post reply

If Wong Kar-wai made visual novels back in the day they would probably turn out like this. Out of all the retro-style games out there this is the first time I've seen someone try to pull off this art style and genre. It's certainly a much more interesting retro take than making all the characters look like Mega Man.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"RANDOM GAMES (#38): the Lost Number" , posted Tue 28 Apr 06:30:post reply

quote:
If Wong Kar-wai made visual novels back in the day they would probably turn out like this. Out of all the retro-style games out there this is the first time I've seen someone try to pull off this art style and genre.

It's not just the splendid vintage electronica and the skeuomorphic (I'm learning!) faux VHS recording in the ad that makes it so sublimely 80s, it's also the very clear (to me) Kimagure Orange Road anime visual references: the geometric character portraits around 0:59 that are straight out of the "Night of Summerside" first anime opening, as well as the dreamy-blurry art at 0:38 that couldn't NOT have been inspired by the series' legendary image illustrator/character designer, Takada Akemi. I'm not lying! (Edit: oh, and of course the title! "Summer Mirage," "Summer's Beginning," and a billion other KOR threads to choose from there.)

I'm also rechristening this thread #38 so we remember just how long our random ways have been going on.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 28 Apr 06:32]

Just a Person
2200th Post

"RANDOM GAMES (#39): Streets of Rage 4" , posted Fri 1 May 01:13post reply

I had completely forgotten that Streets of Rage 4 was being developed. But apparently it's out now, and... it looks interesting.

Four simultaneous players is a welcome addition to a beat'em up (too bad it's only for offline play), the new Floyd guy seems like a combination of SoR2's Max and SoR3's Zan, and the possibility of using characters from the past games with the same sprites they used to have... it manages to look lazy, weird and yet nice at the same time.

And the soundtrack sounds good. Sure, many people will complain that they wanted Koshiro back, but who knows, a change in direction can be good sometimes. It reminds me of how the Killer Instinct fanbase complained when Mick Gordon was chosen by Microsoft to make the soundtrack of the reboot game instead of bringing the old composers back, and some years later the man was being idolized for his work - to the point that, when he left after Season 2, people complained yet again that other people would be in charge of the Season 3 OST (which ended up being great as well).

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.

"Re(1):RANDOM GAMES (#39): Streets of Rage 4" , posted Sat 2 May 06:10post reply

quote:
I had completely forgotten that Streets of Rage 4 was being developed. But apparently it's out now, and... it looks interesting.

I have only watched a stream of the game but I noticed three things:
1. It appears that the game is really long.
2. The art style and character designs make it look like a sequel to Alien Hominid instead of SoR.
3. After watching I’m curious to try the game for myself.

"Re(2):RANDOM GAMES (#39): End of Evo 2020" , posted Sat 2 May 08:17post reply

They will be organizing and holding an online event, but the Vegas event is cancelled.

It will be kinda unfortunate that the competitors will necessarily be limited by internet routing: Japan to EU is unplayable by competition standards, Japan to East Coast NA is not much better, SA to everywhere outside of NA is pretty awful, etc. Not even the best netcode implementation can save those. I won't be surprised if the tournament limits entrants to NA/EU or NA/SA. SA to EU is generally terrible, so including one tends to sadly require excluding the other.

Ironically many of the games with the very best online play implementations have come from many years of fan hackery on those games. Some more recent games have the added benefit of being designed with netplay in mind from the beginning, and so what moves and mechanics the game has are more amenable to networked play.

"Re(3):RANDOM GAMES (#38): End of Evo 2020" , posted Sat 2 May 22:37post reply

quote:
Japan to EU is unplayable by competition standards, Japan to East Coast NA is not much better

Clearly these people are not used to MMC Lagfest Standard Edition Rules!

"Re(4):RANDOM GAMES (#38): End of Evo 2020" , posted Sun 3 May 09:05post reply

quote:
Japan to EU is unplayable by competition standards, Japan to East Coast NA is not much better
Clearly these people are not used to MMC Lagfest Standard Edition Rules!

This is going to be a mess and I can’t wait. If the organizers were smart they would have a series of regional events. But I’m hoping someone tries to get clever and does something ridiculous. Will all the players have cameras so we can see their reactions and/or dumpy rooms? How long does it take to make a ghost character like the type that were used in VF or Tekken (or those lousy ones in SS)? AI’s designed off the the players could duke it out. No matter what happens I’m looking forward to this ridiculous Zoom meeting of a tournament.

PSN: n/a
Wii: NNID:sfried
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(5):RANDOM GAMES (#40): Grand Upper" , posted Wed 6 May 16:40post reply

So...Who is playing Streets of Rage 4/Bare Knuckle 4? How does it fair compared to past games? How does it fair compared to River City Girls?

I got it, played it, and like it. There's some depth in the mechanics, although some bosses have super armor you can't take out unless you use up a special. Also Lizardcube's art is just great, considering I've also liked the previous work they've done with Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.

neo0r0chiaku
568th Post

PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: N/A
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):RANDOM GAMES (#40): Grand Upper-Review" , posted Fri 8 May 23:11:post reply

quote:
So...Who is playing Streets of Rage 4/Bare Knuckle 4? How does it fair compared to past games? How does it fair compared to River City Girls?

I got it, played it, and like it. There's some depth in the mechanics, although some bosses have super armor you can't take out unless you use up a special. Also Lizardcube's art is just great, considering I've also liked the previous work they've done with Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.

Streets of Rage 4 - Review, Overview, Rant, in-depth, whatever you call it.
I will try my best to provide an insight based on certain gamers. The Hardcore, regular, and casual player. The beat em up fan and the Streets of rage fan (which is probably more of my own opinion). I will also include an overview at the end.

Graphics
The graphics are absolutely beautiful and detailed. It will attract Hardcore, Regular, and Beat em up fans. What stands out the most is a perfect move by the team to attract newcomers in general like your casual gamer(s). New people means more sales and better exposure. It also gives a more welcome look for those new gamers alike. Even to a younger audience.
As an SOR fan, I still don’t feel that this graphic look blends well for SOR. It makes it more kid friendly and welcoming to those who want to experience a regular all-around game. It doesn’t have that raw, gritty, and mature feeling like previous titles and what it is known for. People were a bit nuts saying it looks like a mobile game when it was announced. This is more like, well, non-violent kid friendly look to me.

Audio/Music
The music is great and goes well throughout the game. Nothing boring or irritating. All gamers will feel comfortable, if not, rocking into the music the majority of the time. A variety of mixes and genres to listen. It will never feel stale.
As an SOR fan, I would say they did a good job overall. I will not complain that Yuzo and his team did not do the whole soundtrack, but the others and newcomers actually did a much better job overall. In particular, Olivier Deriviere definitely stole the show with his tracks. Kudos to the mixing of tracks and blending it into another type of rhythm/tempo as you progress to certain sections, event, or enemies. I love it.

Story
I think the story is straightforward and not confusing for all gamer. Although, as there is only one story line to whomever you pick, they may feel as though replaying the game would not be entertaining. It has a comic book style that will welcome anyone.
As an SOR fan, I think they story and its presentation could have been a lot better. Especially with previous excuse of “no more memory limitation,” they could have had a little sprinkle of voice acting maybe? Nevertheless, we should have seen some more dialogue and character interaction at least. For an example, Axel speaking with Shiva before the match. That would have been more awesome.

The presentation of the story could have also been better. There should have been some more animation within those cut scenes. I don’t see the point of still photos in this day in age.

Gameplay
Gameplay will welcome the hardcore, beat em up, and maybe the regular gamers. The SOR fans will feel right at home. Really at home, which I will go more later. It might not be as much for the casual gamer. It may be a one and done affair. But there is still some enjoyment and nothing complex. Most importantly, the replay value is there to have the best score and improve on your story/arcade campaign.

As an SOR Fan, the AI is still the same as ever before. Even the environment itself. For an example, You have a table in the middle of the area. Three enemies in the top and you in the bottom. They won’t attack or move close, unless you walk around in any direction. You wait for them, they don’t come. If I wanted to throw a knife over across the table, the invisible wall prevents that. The cheap shots are here and rocking like never before. For an example, Galsia charging with the knife has a huge hitbox where the slightest touch or even if you walk towards him from his back, which is nowhere near his knife, will still land a hit on you. But then, after he completes his charge, If you walk up to him to grab him, you don’t get hit at all. Like Really?

Replay Value
Many options for all gamers to utilize after the game. But since there is no story for each character, your regular and casual gamer may not play it after completion. For the rest is a higher replay value. You will replace the game to unlock all the characters and obtain higher scores. I will say the replay value is here but for those trying to get the high scores, higher combos, keeping your stars, and not losing lives, you will immediately get frustrated with, well cheap shots and the mechanics that I will go into later. Some Retro stages are also available to play during the story/arcade game. Pretty fun to experience.

Overview – My personal opinions.
Graphics. There some little nicks here and there involving the environments also. There is some background details that are reused in other stages like the people behind the tinted windows drinking with the lady standing. Some stages have people moving in the background to make the environment more alive and some just don’t move. Primarily, the fight against max. I mean at least most of these spectators can move after you get hit with Max like on the caged fight in SOR 2 under the baseball stadium. Those are small and nothing major.
I love the details from the Y Island environment that have the original Mr. X references practically everywhere like if he was a GOD. Even the robots from SOR 2 are there. It looks great and love the details in there.

Sound and audio. Some stages, primarily done by Olivier are amazing and rings in my head throughout the day. I love the tracks blending into another during the stages. That is a huge plus for me and it was done right. Even some of these tracks blend well with the enemies you encounter, it kind of makes it feel like it’s there theme song. The storm boat track is a perfect theme for Dylan and his goons. Chinatown perfect for Condor and his subordinate twins. Underground Tunnel is probably the best enemy theme all around.

Sadly, I don’t like the menu theme. Sounds to…..weak? Some boss themes are a bit bland. Shiva, although I want that rocking evil sound, has a nice theme to go with his change of personality. Most are nothing to remember about but some really do play in your head in an attraction to have you play again. The retro soundtrack is here also. Although, most tunes were from SOR 2 and , well the Game Gear/Master System version. Like, why?

Also, I feel as though the environments could have used a little background noise here and there. Another example again is the fight against Max. No noise from the crowd whatsoever. The underground tunnel could have used some bass from those speakers or sewer noise. The police station could have use some inmates cursing. These noises do play out during the loading times of a stage or when you progress into certain sections, but could have been used a little during the stages.

Characters and Mechanics. There was like two KOF reference that popped in my mind. The bald headed karate guy with the name GORO is practically Takuma Sakazaki. Dylan and his goons is Ryuji Yamazaki. All the new heroes are a good bunch. The bosses I have a major problem with. You fight the same bosses multiple times. You fight the same robot humanoid Koobo way to many times. That is a problem. Again, no excuses for memory limitation. It is not cool! What is also not cool is why SOR 4 version of Max and Shiva not playable? Come on now, really? Shiva especially? That is everyone’s dream to play Shiva with no bugs and secrets. Not cool DOTEMU! You better not make me pay for them. I like how the police officers also fight with the enemies. That is a real cool touch.

Speaking of which, let me go into how these enemies and bosses fair via gameplay and mechanics.
The majority of the bosses have a cheesy side to them. Shiva was probably the only actual competitive boss in the game. Ester, did have a cool battle with the police rocket launcher. Then it gets a bit cheesy at the end, but a nice type of fight nevertheless. MR. X’s twins’ solo battles were straightforward. Max was too easy and should have been more competitive. The rest, cheesy! The worst of them all is DR K-Washi.

The enemies, as I stated before, have their cheap hits like never before. I am only speaking from a competitive standpoint where you want your high scores. Oh my how annoying the biker girls Honey can be. Another problem is enemy attacks that can also hit enemies. An example is grenades, if the enemy throws one, the other enemies don’t get hurt. But if they throw fire or electric bombs, everyone gets hurt. Weird.

But the main problem is that all this can be avoided. If only, the characters had run and roll. I am not sure why they took this out from SOR 3. Only Cherry has run while Adam has dash. Everyone else feel so insufficient without run and roll. Slow and sluggish, especially Alex. He is not your all around balanced character anymore. I completed the game with everyone and didn’t even realize that I still needed to finish the game with Alex. Max, although slow, greatly benefits from his strength and power stats. Cherry is by far the most fun and complete character. Adam would have been the best character but his move set is simple and straightforward whereas Cherry can give you some experimentation. Max would be the third best with his insane grabbling moves and strength. Blaze would get the low end of the stick since, well she much slower than before. Alex get the worst rating because he is the slowest for his type of characteristics.

Each character has specific stats and moves. I still feel it is missing the differential for certain characters. For example, Max, slow but powerful and strong. But why should he need to be knocked down for certain attacks like Big Bens belly flop/ Everyone else I understand, but Max should have the benefit of the doubt to not get knocked down into the ground due to his strength stat.

Some enemies really defy gravity when it comes to some of their specific moves. Primarily those who attack flying. Who ironically, flies in the air like a curve ball to hit you. With no roll and run, it’s unavoidable. It just feel daunting with all this said I apologize. Because of the cheesy and cheap hits you will encounter throughout the game. As a result, you’re best using the SOR 3 characters if you want to reach that high score and not lose fights. But in general, other type of gamers won’t even pay much mind with what I mentioned.

In conclusion, I feel that this game is really more of a reimagining then a sequel. I don’t think it a complete package of players and there better be no paid DLC. Shiva, Max, and Ester should be playable. If anything, these characters should have alternative stages that aligned with the main cast. Like Adam playing two or three different stages in the beginning before meeting up with the gang. The story could have used more character interaction the dialogue. Although I would not mind more storytelling. But surely, fans may think it would have got into too much detailed for it to be confusing.

My final score is 8/10. Surprised?
Well the fact that it’s playable, re-playable, beatable, nice environments, great track mixes/blends, and fun new characters. All the negatives I mentioned prevented it become a full 10/10 classic and best game. Wow, that was a lot. It’s a series dear to me and as to the reason why I go into so much detail to talk about.

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Sat 9 May 05:51]

"Re(7):RANDOM GAMES (#40): Grand Upper-Review" , posted Sat 9 May 07:25:post reply

Thanks for the review! While I never played much of the Bare Knuckle series, BK2 is very inviting on my Mega Drive Mini, and most of all, I'm happy that the Cafe offers such eclectic and diverse entrees as a dedicated Super Robot Taisen thread, Mortal Kombat fandom, Bare Knuckle 4 commentary amidst the main lines of conversation. I learn a lot from you guys!

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 9 May 07:52]

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(7):RANDOM GAMES (#40): Grand Upper-Review" , posted Sat 9 May 08:34post reply

quote:
But the main problem is that all this can be avoided. If only, the characters had run and roll. I am not sure why they took this out from SOR 3.

This is a nostalgia-driven project. While I can't speak for the rest of the world, in the US I'd expect nostalgia is strongest for SOR2, and possibly least for SOR3? I'd guess the devs intentionally aimed for an SOR2 feel to the playable characters, even more so when there are also playable SOR2-versions of characters. As for why enemies don't follow the same design rules, that is probably a mix of variety as well as a bit of "retro-hard" attitude?

quote:
As an SOR fan, I still don’t feel that this graphic look blends well for SOR. It makes it more kid friendly and welcoming to those who want to experience a regular all-around game. It doesn’t have that raw, gritty, and mature feeling like previous titles and what it is known for. People were a bit nuts saying it looks like a mobile game when it was announced.

I wasn't a fan of the art in the trailers for reasons similar to those described. It looks a bit too cartoonish. Backgrounds look a bit too simple. It stood out even more when I saw shots of "classic" pixel characters mixed with new art enemies on the new backgrounds.

I later realized the art makes me think of UDON. I was a pretty big fan of Udon in their earlier comic book days, and also liked their Street Fighter artwork. That started to change when Udon started working on SSF2T HD Remix. WIP images were posted online throughout development, which led to underwhelmed fans not just saying it looked poor, but instead giving detailed explanations of numerous issues both within the art itself and within the management of the project. Once I'd been driven to take a close look at Udon's art, I couldn't unsee the numerous issues even in their other art, even when looking back at comics that I'd previously praised.

While that wandered a bit off-topic, I think of Udon when I look at SOR4 art. Not because it is inherently flawed, but just the general simplified, bright and clean style.

Lord SNK
435th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):RANDOM GAMES (#40): Grand Upper-Review" , posted Sat 9 May 16:22post reply

quote:

Streets of Rage 4
The cheap shots are here and rocking like never before. For an example, Galsia charging with the knife has a huge hitbox where the slightest touch or even if you walk towards him from his back, which is nowhere near his knife, will still land a hit on you.

That's my problem with side-scrolling beat'em-up games, I can't like them, I tried, but the cheap CPU against you make them look very unfair to me.
To this I would add also that old games had that thing that to use special attacks you had to sacrifice your health (like in X-Men Arcade Game, they are mutants, come on, they use their power to make coffee or every mundane thing and when battling in this game they lose health?!!).
All these things were there probably to balance the games towards sucking tons of coins out of people's pockets, but I don't know if the genre evolved much past that.

"Re(8):RANDOM GAMES (#40): Grand Upper-Review" , posted Sat 9 May 21:46post reply

quote:

Streets of Rage 4

Thanks for the review!

I'm curious about the game but there are a few things holding me back. The main one is the issue of movement that you mentioned. The lack of run and roll is perplexing and, depending on the character, makes the game look far too limited.

Other odd decisions such as putting in the original character sprites make the game come across as more of a fan recreation of SoR rather than a proper SoR game. That's a weird, arbitrary distinction that's mostly in my head. That said, I can't help but think that the developers are going to be too open to fiddling with the game after its release. I'm worried that in a month SoR4 is going to get a massive patch that may or may not be good for the game.

But even with all that said I still want to try SoR4. Mastering crowd control by throwing dudes into other dudes or kicking people down bottomless pits are actions that are as timeless as they are beautiful and pure. Punching the streets clean while walking from left to right is always going to be good even if the game isn't perfect.

neo0r0chiaku
570th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):RANDOM GAMES (#40): Grand Upper-Review" , posted Sun 10 May 13:42:post reply

quote:

Baines
While that wandered a bit off-topic, I think of Udon when I look at SOR4 art. Not because it is inherently flawed, but just the general simplified, bright and clean style.

I can see the similarities. Now dont get me wrong, the game is still beautiful looking and it was also the right decision. If not, a good business decision. Better to attract more people including new comers in hopes of generating enough revenue for the series to continue. I would prefer that even if it looses a couple of die hard fans who decided not to buy.

quote:

Lord SNK
That's my problem with side-scrolling beat'em-up games, I can't like them, I tried, but the cheap CPU against you make them look very unfair to me.
To this I would add also that old games had that thing that to use special attacks you had to sacrifice your health (like in X-Men Arcade Game, they are mutants, come on, they use their power to make coffee or every mundane thing and when battling in this game they lose health?!!).
All these things were there probably to balance the games towards sucking tons of coins out of people's pockets, but I don't know if the genre evolved much past that.

Now I probably should have mention the new featured within the game mechanics that still makes the game more new and enjoyable then previous retro 90's beat em up games. I did not include this information in the review, nor the storyline, becuase one I assumed everyone have read/seen reviews of the game by other companies and Journalist. I also did not want to spoil the story.

So the mechanics goes like this.
Attack, Jump, Ex move, grab/throw, pick up items, and your super move.
Whats new for super moves is the life you loose, you can regain back by attacking. If you get it, you only lose what you were not able to regain. Three types of supers is defense, attack, and aerial.
Picking up items have some new features as well. You can catch weapons in the air if it was thrown by you or even the enemy.
Combos can generate high scores. The more hits you land, the higher the combo, the better the score. However, you have around 3-5 second during no action to claim those number of combos to convert into points. At anytime while you are increasing you combo count, if you get hit, you lose you combo count. As a result, you dont get any score for those combos.
Super Desperation Moves. Can be used when collecting the Star item. You start with one, and and up to 3 extras ones can be found throughout the stages.
Hope that makes sense. If I forgot anything please chime in.

quote:
Ishmael
'm curious about the game but there are a few things holding me back. The main one is the issue of movement that you mentioned. The lack of run and roll is perplexing and, depending on the character, makes the game look far too limited.

The jump and roll not being present and my justification for its disadvantage is solely when you trying to master the game at either a higher difficulty setting or when trying to obtain your high(est) scores. Playing the game as a whole is still perfect to anyone and the new features mentioned above still conducts some experimental techniques while playing. SO please play it, you will have fun regardless.

quote:
X-Men Arcade Game, they are mutants, come on, they use their power to make coffee or every mundane thing and when battling in this game they lose health?!!

Speaking of X-Men Arcade, Did anyone know about this game /Metamorphic Force?

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Sun 10 May 13:48]

"Re(9):RANDOM GAMES (#40): Grand Upper-Review" , posted Mon 11 May 13:48post reply

quote:

Mastering crowd control by throwing dudes into other dudes or kicking people down bottomless pits are actions that are as timeless as they are beautiful and pure. Punching the streets clean while walking from left to right is always going to be good even if the game isn't perfect.

AMEN.

"Re(10):RANDOM GAMES (#40): Grand Upper-Review" , posted Mon 11 May 13:56post reply

quote:

Mastering crowd control by throwing dudes into other dudes or kicking people down bottomless pits are actions that are as timeless as they are beautiful and pure.
Punching the streets clean while walking from left to right is always going to be good

Also agreed! Uh, only in the game, I mean. Yeah, that’s it...

"Re(2):Re(10):RANDOM GAMES (#40): Grand Upper-" , posted Tue 12 May 01:52post reply

quote:

Mastering crowd control by throwing dudes into other dudes or kicking people down bottomless pits are actions that are as timeless as they are beautiful and pure.
Punching the streets clean while walking from left to right is always going to be good

So speaking of controlling crowds, the delightful satire game "Tonight We Riot" which deliberately references Soviet-era propaganda art for its cutscene images is out, and it's kinda the reverse in that you control a crowd! There have been a few other action-y (i.e. not RTS) games in which you control a mob, but this is probably one of the first ones to deliberately take a revolutionary (literally) tack.

Mosquiton
2466th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):RANDOM GAMES (#40): Grand Upper-" , posted Tue 12 May 02:50:post reply

quote:

I'm also going to endorse this message.

Just thinking about the knocking people into bottomless pits part, did anyone here ever play the Pirates of Dark Water beat-em-up (Sunsoft, SNES)?

The game has its issues (the worst being that it's overlong and kind of a slog) but it has some great scenarios with traps and hazards. Each character has a different range for their throws (kind of mapping to slam dunk, free-throw, and 3-pointer), which really made it satisfying to guide people into the infinite abyss beneath the stage.

Also, unlike a lot of other, similar games, enemies are actually affected by the traps. You can bait people into spikes or flame jets, or toss them so they perfectly land on a hazard and stand up right before it goes off. There's one particular place where you can toss people across a gap that has a falling rock-on-a-chain trap right at the edge. if you time it right, they'll get whacked by the rock and be knocked backwards into the hole.

There are some other weird/dumb/interesting things about the game as well. Did anyone else ever play this one?

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Tue 12 May 02:52]

"Re(3):Re(10):RANDOM GAMES (#40): Grand Upper-" , posted Tue 12 May 06:16post reply

quote:
Just thinking about the knocking people into bottomless pits part, did anyone here ever play the Pirates of Dark Water beat-em-up (Sunsoft, SNES)?

I recall a highly threatening-looking pirate eye looking at me out of the ad for the game in an American game magazine around that time! Maybe the guy with the beard? I don't recall there being any screenshots, which may have been a miss on their part. I also don't recall a Japanese version of the game, even though the TV show was translated. Weird, experimental, and (sadly) forgotten genre entries are often the most interesting! It's amazing how few games subject enemies to the same hazards as the player.

"JET LANCER IS THE GAME YOU WANT" , posted Sun 17 May 05:31post reply

The tutorial mission drops you into a gorgeous SEGA blue sky while joyful music plays and then you dip your jet close to the water and a white waves billow in its wake

Oh yeah the part where you fight enemy jets is good, too, but I haven't been sold so hard on game within just the first 10 seconds of the game starting in a long, long time.

Available on Steam and on Switch!
GET ITTTT

Wii: Switch:SW-3634-5515-7312

"Re(1):Panel de Pon" , posted Sun 17 May 10:39post reply

The unlocalized puzzle game is coming out on the 20th for NSO, along with Wild Guns and NES Rygar.

That's...completely out of the blue, but considering other recent announcmenets and some rumors, it might not come as a surprise given the current circumstances that releases are being spaced out...What doesn't make sense is them just throwing in Panel De Pon as is when they could've just thrown in one of the localized versions such as Pokemon Puzzle League. (I understand Tetris Attack might be more difficult given the license and usage of the Tetris branding, despite the latter fanchise having nothing to do with Panel de Pon. But they could've easily rebranded it as Yoshi's Puzzle League...) Still, I'm glad we're getting...ahem...Lip service.

(Also Cosmic Star Heroine is just $1.49)

"Re(1): FLOWER IS THE GAME YOU WANT" , posted Mon 18 May 02:59:post reply

JET LANCER: Those are indeed some Sega blue skies! Then again, I'm not really good at flying games unless it's the original SFC Star Fox.

Fortunately, the modern blue sky game par excellance, Flower, is on Steam and apparently has been for a year. How did I miss this!? If I get the PC version, my PS3 really will become my Dragon's Crown Playing Device exclusively, as I've always told Prof. Better still that Steam now takes PS4 controllers, so I tilt my wind-carried petals in the right direction.

As with all games with a strongly artistic bent ("Wander and the Colossus: Climb on Giant Monsters and Kill Them with Some Regret" doesn't begin to get at the importance of the game), the copy writers are at a loss: "Lush and Interactive Environments – Vast grassy fields, blowing in the breeze, create a lush, immersive environment." Well, yes. But I wonder how many people (except Sega blue sky seeking people) would make "grassy fields" their determining factor when buying a game. They should, though!

Meanwhile: Panel De Pon never came out in English!?

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 18 May 03:50]

"Re(2): FLOWER IS THE GAME YOU WANT" , posted Mon 18 May 08:00post reply

quote:
JET LANCER: Those are indeed some Sega blue skies! Then again, I'm not really good at flying games unless it's the original SFC Star Fox.

Thing you are controlling is always moving forwards, and the game is entirely 2D, so just think of it as playing a variation of Snake!

"Re(3): Puzzle game bait and switch" , posted Mon 18 May 19:01post reply

quote:

Meanwhile: Panel De Pon never came out in English!?

It...sorta did: As "Tetris Attack", and with all the characters replaced from ones in Yoshi's Island.

Think of how Puyo Puyo got replaced as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche outside Japan.

It would be very weird though if games like Magical Drop got the same treatment.

Ungenesis
536th Post

PSN: entropytempts
XBL: ungenesis9
Wii: SW-3287-7029-8309(Switch)
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis
New Red Carpet Member

"PSO2 NA releases on PC May 27th" , posted Thu 21 May 04:51post reply

According to Twitter, Phantasy Star Online 2 will be released for Windows 10 PC's on May 27th, via the Microsoft Store. Since it will no longer be locked behind Xbox and its' subscription fees, I've been expecting a population swell and was wondering if any of you might be checking it out.

Content is currently a fair bit behind the Japanese servers, but they're slamming through it in an effort to bring us up to parity within a year. On the flipside, the Japanese version has seen massive pauses in content due to Coronavirus, including a stay of execution for the Vita version which was supposed to have ended.

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Switch: SW-3287-7029-8309

"Serious Sam 4: are YOU serious? +PSO2" , posted Thu 21 May 13:38post reply

That’s great about PSO2! It holds a double fascination both because of my huge respect for Kodama Rieko’s foundational Mega Drive games that were so ahead of their time, and because PSO is so tied with the late 90s-early 2000s online era I love so much. Unfortunately, I still haven’t even beaten Phantasy Star 2.

In the best gaming news of 2020, I’m pleased to announce the arrival of Serious Sam 4 in August. The trailer says it all. It was always funny that it took a team of Croatians to make the hammy hilarious American action hero mania that Duke Nukem always tried and failed to be. Points in favor include the second game’s option for “hippie violence” to replace guts with flowers and hamburgers when an enemy dies, the headless goon with bombs for hands who runs unavoidably right at you, the first game’s final boss Mental riding a skyscraper-tall pyramid-shaped tank called the Mental Institution, and the cheerful power-up jingle “seriiiiiiious damage.”

I don’t even like shooters, but you’d better believe that a friend and I once made our own iron-on t-shirt designs featuring the frowning cartoon bomb on Sam’s own t-shirt.

"Re(1):Serious Sam 4: are YOU serious? +PSO2" , posted Thu 21 May 13:42post reply

quote:
That’s great about PSO2! It holds a double fascination both because of my huge respect for Kodama Rieko’s foundational Mega Drive games that were so ahead of their time, and because PSO is so tied with the late 90s-early 2000s online era I love so much. Unfortunately, I still haven’t even beaten Phantasy Star 2.

In the best gaming news of 2020, I’m pleased to announce the arrival of Serious Sam 4 in August. The trailer says it all. It was always funny that it took a team of Croatians to make the hammy hilarious American action hero mania that Duke Nukem always tried and failed to be. Points in favor include the second game’s option for “hippie violence” to replace guts with flowers and hamburgers when an enemy dies, the headless goon with bombs for hands who runs unavoidably right at you, the first game’s final boss Mental riding a skyscraper-tall pyramid-shaped tank called the Mental Institution, and the cheerful power-up jingle “seriiiiiiious damage.”

I don’t even like shooters, but you’d better believe that a friend and I once made our own iron-on t-shirt designs featuring the frowning cartoon bomb on Sam’s own t-shirt.

I find that I don't like Serious Sam 3 nearly as much as the previous ones. It has levels you can actually get lost in because you aren't sure where to go, but the levels themselves aren't interesting. The gore is more realistic, but it doesn't make the game sillier. Sam himself is more of an asshole, and so rather than being someone who makes some dumb jokes and is a silly caricature, I'm just like "I don't even want to do this".

It's not as though the direction is wildly different from before, it's just increased slightly in a particular aspect that makes it much less joyful and pleasant for me.

"Re(2):Serious Sam 4: are YOU serious? +PSO2" , posted Thu 21 May 13:58post reply

I mostly missed Serious Sam 3, but that sounds about right. Assuming that by “serious” we mean “seriously ridiculous,” the most obvious assessment is that Serious Sam 3 was not nearly Serious Enough.

I feel like Serious Sam 4 now suggesting there will be thousands of bad guys on screen at once is just what the doctor ordered.

Did you know that Croteam also made a pretty interesting Myst-like 3D puzzle game (!?) whose name I forgot?

"Re(3):Serious Sam 4: are YOU serious? +PSO2" , posted Fri 22 May 01:04post reply

I feel like I should be playing Huntdown. Milquetoast name aside, I do like the sprites on display.

"Re(3):Serious Sam 4: are YOU serious? +PSO2" , posted Fri 22 May 01:13post reply

quote:
I mostly missed Serious Sam 3, but that sounds about right. Assuming that by “serious” we mean “seriously ridiculous,” the most obvious assessment is that Serious Sam 3 was not nearly Serious Enough.

I feel like Serious Sam 4 now suggesting there will be thousands of bad guys on screen at once is just what the doctor ordered.

Did you know that Croteam also made a pretty interesting Myst-like 3D puzzle game (!?) whose name I forgot?

I know what game you're talking about, it's called The Talos Principle!
I remember when I first heard about it, I thought it was a viral/ARG marketing scheme for a new Serious Sam game.

"Re(4):Serious Sam 4: are YOU serious? +PSO2" , posted Fri 22 May 01:17post reply

quote:
I feel like I should be playing Huntdown. Milquetoast name aside, I do like the sprites on display.

I've already been playing this game!

I really like the spritework in the game, but the game is slightly more Blackthorne than Contra (e.g. you can hide in cover, you can't shoot upwards or diagonally, you have a health gauge, you don't move all that fast, but it's not like you have to backtrack and open doors like in Blackthorne). The game is fully voiced, which lends it a surprisingly curious flavor compared to Contra... it's not just one or two announcements and death cries, your characters quip, enemies quip, etc.

I actually bought the game entirely based on the spritework!

"Re(4):Serious Sam 4: are YOU serious? +PSO2" , posted Fri 22 May 02:17post reply

quote:
Talos Principle!
I remember when I first heard about it, I thought it was a viral/ARG marketing scheme for a new Serious Sam game.

Maybe it was! One of the most interesting things about the original Serious Sam was that beyond all the goofing around, it had one of the most impressive and flexible engines available for a huge range of user creations. I don’t know if it was later outpaced, but I recall it being supremely sophisticated.

"Re(5):Serious Sam 4: are YOU serious? +PSO2" , posted Fri 22 May 04:33post reply

quote:

I've already been playing this game!

I really like the spritework in the game, but the game is slightly more Blackthorne than Contra (e.g. you can hide in cover, you can't shoot upwards or diagonally, you have a health gauge, you don't move all that fast, but it's not like you have to backtrack and open doors like in Blackthorne). The game is fully voiced, which lends it a surprisingly curious flavor compared to Contra... it's not just one or two announcements and death cries, your characters quip, enemies quip, etc.

I actually bought the game entirely based on the spritework!

Blackthorne is an interesting comparison! When I saw the game my mind went more towards Elevator Action Returns. That's not the best comparison, however, since Huntdown doesn't appear to be as vertically designed or built around the idea of having to wait around to ride the dumbwaiter.

Just a Person
2209th Post

"Silent Hill is back... kinda" , posted Thu 28 May 08:37post reply

Multiplayer game Dead by Daylight is getting a Silent Hill expansion (it already had expansion packs based on A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Saw, Stranger Things, Scream, among others). The pack will bring Cheryl Mason (formerly known as Heather) as a Survivor, Pyramid Head as a Killer (even though Pyramid Head and Cheryl have no connection whatsoever) and the Midwich Elementary School as a map.

I suppose this is the closest thing we'll ever see to a proper new Silent Hill game.

"Re(1):Silent Hill is back... kinda" , posted Thu 28 May 21:48post reply

quote:
Multiplayer game Dead by Daylight is getting a Silent Hill expansion (it already had expansion packs based on A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Saw, Stranger Things, Scream, among others). The pack will bring Cheryl Mason (formerly known as Heather) as a Survivor, Pyramid Head as a Killer (even though Pyramid Head and Cheryl have no connection whatsoever) and the Midwich Elementary School as a map.

I suppose this is the closest thing we'll ever see to a proper new Silent Hill game.

Well, it's better than a pachinko game.

Just a Person
2210th Post

"Re(2):Silent Hill is back... kinda" , posted Sat 30 May 01:44post reply

quote:
Well, it's better than a pachinko game.

True. And Dead by Daylight is a fun game, whose mood actually fits with Silent Hill's.

And while I'm not sure the Midwich Elementary School is the best choice for a Silent Hill map (Nowhere, the Toluca Underground Prison and the amusement park would be creepier choices), the developers did choose the most memorable (even if overused) villain and the best protagonist. Sorry, Harry and James, but Cheryl is easily the best hero in the SH franchise.

"Game Gear is back... kinda" , posted Wed 3 Jun 22:20post reply

Game Gear is back, with a ludicrously tiny screen! The year 2020 continues to come at us from all sides.

"Re(1):Game Gear is back... kinda" , posted Wed 3 Jun 23:26:post reply

quote:
Game Gear is back, with a ludicrously tiny screen! The year 2020 continues to come at us from all sides.

Hahahaha! I would’ve been disappointed it wasn’t the MCD mini or Saturn mini, but the idea of an even smaller Game Gear is so ridiculous and nutty that I laughed out loud and couldn’t possibly be annoyed. At least the new GG might actually have a battery life of more than two hours, even if none of the games are any good compared with their MD versions. And I say this as someone who thinks the MD mini is the finest of the mini systems.

Is the Master System mini next?!

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 3 Jun 23:28]

Professor
5786th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Thu 4 Jun 00:06:post reply

Coincendently, my Saturn is broken, too!

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 4 Jun 00:07]

"Re(3):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Thu 4 Jun 08:14post reply

quote:
Coincendently, my Saturn is broken, too!

really not a fan of the new sega shiro guy!

and I found my way to being annoyed by the GG thing. almost $50 for four games? thus nearly $200 for 16? AAA batteries instead of a rechargable? It just does not particularly make much sense.

"Re(4):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Thu 4 Jun 09:17post reply

quote:
It just does not particularly make much sense.
On the other hand, neither did the 32X! It’s possible that the GG micro is slightly too accurate a recreation of the Sega of old!

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(4):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Thu 4 Jun 19:26post reply

quote:
really not a fan of the new sega shiro guy!

It's like there was a new Space Channel 5, but Ulala was replaced by Hatsune Miku.

Fortunately there is no way in hell this would ever happen!

Ha, ha, ha.

"Re(5):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Fri 5 Jun 01:35post reply

quote:
It's like there was a new Space Channel 5, but Ulala was replaced by Hatsune Miku.

And that's the saddest and most apt metaphor for the entirety of 2020 about changing aesthetics.
quote:
Fortunately there is no way in hell this would ever happen!

Ha, ha, ha.

Ungenesis
537th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Fri 5 Jun 15:10post reply

Wait, Segashiro! That man is our....

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Mosquiton
2469th Post

"Re(4):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Sat 6 Jun 01:26:post reply

quote:
Wait, Segashiro! That man is our....

Hah, I looked this up and holy crap. It's literally the original actor's son! I don't see a lot of family resemblance.

Well, while the poor guy doesn't look half as formidable as his father (he seems to have more points into "face" than "strength"), I have to imagine that he has a really good-looking mom.... but according to the internet it seems his mother doesn't exist? Ah well, I'm sure there are no weird cultural issues here. I guess he must have sprung fully-formed from Hiroshi Fujioka's head. Like Athena!

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sat 6 Jun 01:32]

Professor
5787th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Sat 6 Jun 16:19:post reply

quote:
I have to imagine that he has a really good-looking mom.... but according to the internet it seems his mother doesn't exist? Ah well, I'm sure there are no weird cultural issues here. I guess he must have sprung fully-formed from Hiroshi Fujioka's head. Like Athena!

Fujioka was remarried in 2001 at 55 (back then his wife was 31). Despite his age, he had 3 kids; two daughters and one son. It wasn't publically known until just a few years ago that he did, as he kept it in privacy so that his children could grow up living a normal life. Likewise, his wife is a total commoner and she's never appeared on media.

His first short-lived marriage was in 1987 with an actoress but it lasted for only 3 years; he didn't have any children from then.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 6 Jun 16:20]

Mosquiton
2469th Post

"Re(6):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Mon 8 Jun 00:31post reply

quote:

The weird lives of the rich and famous

I guess secret children aren't exactly unheard of for celebrities in general, but having the son appear in a commercial for an Art of Fighting-style reveal is pretty dramatic.

/ / /
Ungenesis
539th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Mon 8 Jun 09:30:post reply

Stumbled across this behind the scenes vid.

EDIT: I also didn't realize this was the 3rd Segashiro commercial, here's the 2nd for anyone who misssed it like I did. Shows a bit more backstory including young Segashiro's reaction the day the missile exploded...

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

[this message was edited by Ungenesis on Mon 8 Jun 09:38]

"Re(8):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Mon 8 Jun 11:30post reply

quote:
Stumbled across this behind the scenes vid.

EDIT: I also didn't realize this was the 3rd Segashiro commercial, here's the 2nd for anyone who misssed it like I did. Shows a bit more backstory including young Segashiro's reaction the day the missile exploded...

Sega’s heroic efforts remind me that out of all the classic studios who routinely disappoint us, their intentions are the best. Whereas Konami disappoints us out of a visceral hatred of video games and the consumer, and Capcom disappoints us due to general incompetence and mismanagement, Sega would probably love nothing more than to give us the Saturn mini everyone wants but only received the budget for Game Gear and some delightful commercials.

I was hoping the success of the MD mini in Japan would help, but Zepy’s evil prophecy came true in Asia where there were way too many and they have now been imported back to Japan in hopes of making money off of people who want to play Alien Soldier as is their god-given right and duty.

"Re(9):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Mon 8 Jun 23:26post reply

quote:

It's not up to Mr. Driller levels yet, but I'm glad to see they're respecting the lore.

quote:
Sega’s heroic efforts remind me that out of all the classic studios who routinely disappoint us, their intentions are the best.

While I'm glad to see Sega is hearkening back to its glory days, those were the days when Sega did things that made no money and made no sense. I'm not certain there was big demand for the return of Segata Sanshiro but we got at least three new commercials about him and his bloodline. If Sega is even temporarily back to its old habit of throwing money out the window can we at least get a new Virtua Fighter game?

"Re(10):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Tue 9 Jun 01:47post reply

quote:
If Sega is even temporarily back to its old habit of throwing money out the window can we at least get a new Virtua Fighter game?

Yes, but only the 32X version on the soon-to-be-announced 32X mini.

Professor
5788th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Tue 9 Jun 10:51:post reply

quote:

While I'm glad to see Sega is hearkening back to its glory days, those were the days when Sega did things that made no money and made no sense. I'm not certain there was big demand for the return of Segata Sanshiro but we got at least three new commercials about him and his bloodline. If Sega is even temporarily back to its old habit of throwing money out the window can we at least get a new Virtua Fighter game?

I really do wonder how they came about in deciding to release this new Game Gear Micro-- for its content, the price range is pretty nutty albeit I can see people picking it up because it's nostalgic. If looking at things another way, it costs less than making two rolls on an SNS game or maybe an expensive lunch. It can be powered via USB cable but no HDMI which is unfortunate.

That bonus accessory certainly reminds me of this peripheral I had for my Game Boy!

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 9 Jun 11:03]

"DEVOTION is back... kinda" , posted Tue 9 Jun 14:12post reply

website link

(in)famously removed from Steam for containing anti-China symbolism, the game is going to have a limited physical edition in Taiwan, and it looks really amazing. Evidently it will come with the game on a USB drive to deal with the issue of not everybody these days having a CD drive! What a world.

"Re(1):ALEX KIDD is back... kinda" , posted Thu 11 Jun 12:02post reply

I never quite knew what was going on with Alex Kidd since the first Sega thing I ever encountered was a friend's Mega Drive with Sonic 1, presumably signalling that the earstwhile sort-of-mascot from the Master System had already been shown the door, the outsourced new Alex Kidd has such a charming smile! Is Alex Kidd the OTHER famous Monkey King Son Gokuu who can't throw a kamehameha, or is there something altogether different about him? I may love my MD Mini, but I don't know the first thing about this guy!

"Re(2):ALEX KIDD is back... kinda" , posted Thu 11 Jun 17:46post reply

quote:
I never quite knew what was going on with Alex Kidd since the first Sega thing I ever encountered was a friend's Mega Drive with Sonic 1, presumably signalling that the earstwhile sort-of-mascot from the Master System had already been shown the door, the outsourced new Alex Kidd has such a charming smile! Is Alex Kidd the OTHER famous Monkey King Son Gokuu who can't throw a kamehameha, or is there something altogether different about him? I may love my MD Mini, but I don't know the first thing about this guy!

Funny that you mention the Monkey King, because back in the day the very first Alex Kidd game was supposed to be a Dragon Ball adaptation, but then the IP rights masters decided otherwise.

"SHINSEKAI is amazing.... truly! (attn: NOBI!)" , posted Thu 11 Jun 23:26post reply

Switch eshop link

2D underwater science fiction exploration adventure with heavy Jomon art influences made by Capcom.

I SERIOUSLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO SELL THAT GAME HARDER TO THE CAFE THAN THE ABOVE SENTENCE

"Re(1):SHINSEKAI is amazing.... truly! (attn: " , posted Fri 12 Jun 02:42post reply

quote:
Switch eshop link

2D underwater science fiction exploration adventure with heavy Jomon art influences made by Capcom.

I SERIOUSLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO SELL THAT GAME HARDER TO THE CAFE THAN THE ABOVE SENTENCE

Looks a lot like Waking Mars! I guess it was an apple arcade game originally, so it kind of makes sense. I'll try it!

"PS5" , posted Fri 12 Jun 06:54post reply

Shinsekai: an underwatervania?! The game that finally redeems underwater games for me after my young self found Echo the Dolphin to be one of the worst games ever made?! We'll find out soon.

Meanwhile: that PS5 sure is curvy! I wonder if the version that lacks a disc drive will be cheaper...certainly a sensible nod to the times. I see that the one thing they've never had the guts to change is their controller layout, which will continue to be hostile to six-button fighting games with four buttons an an awful d-pad. Hmm!

"Re(1):PS5" , posted Fri 12 Jun 07:52post reply

quote:
Meanwhile: that PS5 sure is curvy! I wonder if the version that lacks a disc drive will be cheaper

It's likely the one with the disc drive will be cheaper, since it can double as a Bluray player. The only caveat being a smaller HDD (which hopefully will be swappable unless Sony wants another Vita situation on their hands).

quote:
I see that the one thing they've never had the guts to change is their controller layout, which will continue to be hostile to six-button fighting games with four buttons an an awful d-pad. Hmm!

I'm more upset they kept the egregious touchpad, or to 99% of developers, the "giant Select button".

"Re(1):PS5" , posted Fri 12 Jun 08:20post reply

My biggest surprise was Pragmata being revealed NOT being Kojima's new game.

That, or Kojima bought Capcom.

Lord SNK
441th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):PS5" , posted Fri 12 Jun 15:36post reply

quote:
My biggest surprise was Pragmata being revealed NOT being Kojima's new game.

That, or Kojima bought Capcom.

You are right!
When the trailer started I thought it had to be a new Kojima game!

"Re(3):PS5" , posted Fri 12 Jun 22:31post reply

Re: PS5 Judging from the opening of the video, the PS5 will be made out of the air freshener gel balls I have in my bathroom. Too bad the balls decided to aggregate into such an ugly console. The vertical construction is showy and would require a total rearrangement of my current set-up to accommodate. The white color scheme is unwelcome and, much like Nintendo's old systems, will probably oxidize into a urine-yellow in a few years. The disk drive looks like an unsightly cyst that is in need of lancing. Why the console has tail fins is beyond me.

I shouldn't be completely negative so I will say that I liked the trailer for that Capcom game that will probably never come out.

Lord SNK
442th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):PS5" , posted Sat 13 Jun 02:49post reply

quote:
The vertical construction is showy and would require a total rearrangement of my current set-up to accommodate.

Fortunately it could be placed also horizontal.
But is still ugly, the irony is that everyone laughed at the new Xbox design that looks like a refrigerator, but this PS5 is the worst design ever.

"Re(5):PS5" , posted Sat 13 Jun 03:02post reply

quote:

I wonder if that's a good idea though.
They obviously struggled with airflow and cooling down this high-end PC, so the vertical position could be a way to maximise temperature exchange surface with the cooler outside.
But it would probably be dangerous for your disks if you take the one with the physical media slot.

Probably waiting for a PS5 slim with slightly less power-hungry component might be the safer option.

Neo0r0chiaku
579th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):PS5" , posted Sat 13 Jun 05:24post reply

quote:
I wonder if that's a good idea though.
They obviously struggled with airflow and cooling down this high-end PC, so the vertical position could be a way to maximise temperature exchange surface with the cooler outside.
But it would probably be dangerous for your disks if you take the one with the physical media slot.

Probably waiting for a PS5 slim with slightly less power-hungry component might be the safer option.

Am I the only one who notices that these new generation of system really do not have anything new to give aside from how it looks? What are we really getting that we haven't had during the late 90s early 00s?

I mean, these games still have loading times, graphics are already realistic and great looking but quite frankly all looks the same(minus switch), still confined to play online against just those who have that system and not other systems, and no extra technology. Maybe I am missing something. I know you can go in details with graphics and sound but still, it's nothing evolutionary.

To tell you the truth, the only thing I would assume with be an evolution in gaming is , well going into a VR world matrix style.

Long Live I AM!

"Re(7):PS5" , posted Sat 13 Jun 07:18post reply

quote:
Am I the only one who notices that these new generation of system really do not have anything new to give aside from how it looks?
What are we really getting that we haven't had during the late 90s early 00s?

EXCELLENT! You have now fully proved your MMC credentials. Now say it loud, together with me, Iggy, and Juan: "I hate video games!"

I'll see you on Mega Drive, where all the fun is. Maybe PC or Switch if I get wild.

Also: VR still kind of sucks, too! Except for Beat Saber and Tetris Effect 3D, I guess. Maybe one day we won't need those dumb helmets.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(8):PS5" , posted Sat 13 Jun 08:55post reply

quote:

Also: VR still kind of sucks, too! Except for Beat Saber and Tetris Effect 3D, I guess. Maybe one day we won't need those dumb helmets.

Counterpoint: if RE Village is in VR, and Chris get blessed with the same kind of shirtless mods that made Carlos such an interesting character, that would be... Bad! That would be very bad and terrible, as I was saying in the other thread.
I won't fall for your... 6-packs anglerfish, Capcom!

"Re(9):PS5" , posted Sat 13 Jun 10:44post reply

quote:
shirtless mods that made Carlos such an interesting character, that would be... Bad! That would be very bad and terrible, as I was saying in the other thread.
. There is some cross-thread (erotic) continuity going on here (“cross-play?”) and I couldn’t be more pleased. Short of also incorporating the ever-expanding (“expanding?”) writing thread MMC lore, that is.

But enough positivity! Les jeux video, c’est de la merde!

Or maybe I’m just bitter that VR still makes me physically ill after about 15 minutes.

"Re(10):P4G Steam" , posted Sun 14 Jun 06:17post reply

Persona 4 Golden is out on Steam...right now.

"Re(7):PS5" , posted Sun 14 Jun 23:25post reply

quote:

Am I the only one who notices that these new generation of system really do not have anything new to give aside from how it looks? What are we really getting that we haven't had during the late 90s early 00s?

I mean, these games still have loading times, graphics are already realistic and great looking but quite frankly all looks the same(minus switch), still confined to play online against just those who have that system and not other systems, and no extra technology. Maybe I am missing something. I know you can go in details with graphics and sound but still, it's nothing evolutionary.

To tell you the truth, the only thing I would assume with be an evolution in gaming is , well going into a VR world matrix style.

Yeah, there was nothing revolutionary about what has been seen so far, it's just a bit beefier graphics and processing power. Plus, there's definitely a sense of diminishing returns as far as graphics go. Maybe things will be more impressive when I upgrade to a 4K television? But since I would need a new television, a new house to store that gargantuan set (and maybe cybernetic eyeballs so I can appreciate all those K's I bought) I'm not in any rush to get one of these new systems.

"Re(8):Lego Super Mario" , posted Wed 17 Jun 11:57:post reply

Forget the PS5, here's something I actually care about: LEGO SUPER MARIO. My early teen, Lego-building self would have gone crazy over the prospects. I still might. As is true with the games itself, the only real blemish is the miserable inclusion of Koopa Jr., but let's ignore him and gaze upon the glory of World 1-1 made out of blocks instead until it all comes out July 10 in Japan and August 1 everywhere else.

Edit: I mean, I probably would have skipped the bluetooth gimmicks and just made more elaborate stages, but it's a good place to start.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 17 Jun 12:01]

"Re(9):OH SNAP!" , posted Thu 18 Jun 01:25:post reply

Meanwhile...Pokemon Snap is back, and being developed by Bandai-Namco.

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 18 Jun 01:35]

"Re(9):Lego Super Mario" , posted Thu 18 Jun 01:38post reply

While I'm amused by the Stanley Kubrick house the Lego family is living in I do wish the sets didn't rely on bluetooth gimmicks. Mario's dead, black eyes when he's not activated are not much fun. Here I was hoping for a regular yellow Lego-person Mario and a giant Mario you could build out of bricks for when Mario puffs up from having a horrible allergic reaction to mushrooms.

"Re(10):Lego Super Mario" , posted Thu 18 Jun 02:01post reply

quote:
While I'm amused by the Stanley Kubrick house the Lego family is living in I do wish the sets didn't rely on bluetooth gimmicks. Mario's dead, black eyes when he's not activated are not much fun. Here I was hoping for a regular yellow Lego-person Mario and a giant Mario you could build out of bricks for when Mario puffs up from having a horrible allergic reaction to mushrooms.

I would think they're once again experimenting with STEM-like creation kits similar to LABO.

Granted regular Mario Lego set would be nice, but most Lego I own tend to be assembled once and left as it. I'd say the gimmicks are meant to encourage people to constantly reassemble/rearrange their setups into something more intricate, like a Rube Goldberg Machine of bluetooth gizmos.

"Re(2):Re(10):Lego Super Mario" , posted Thu 18 Jun 03:30post reply

quote:
I would think they're once again experimenting with STEM-like creation kits similar to LABO.

Granted regular Mario Lego set would be nice, but most Lego I own tend to be assembled once and left as it. I'd say the gimmicks are meant to encourage people to constantly reassemble/rearrange their setups into something more intricate, like a Rube Goldberg Machine of bluetooth gizmos.

That's true, I was hoping for something more intricate but they seem to be aiming for a more tactile Super Mario Maker.

Wait, do these Lego sets come with Amiibo support?

"Old games for old people" , posted Wed 24 Jun 00:48post reply

So the NGP is back from the dead
https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/games/ngpcs/
Bring that to PC! And also re-release the three SvC games, I'll multi-buy them at any price.

And also, the best recent Iga game is getting a sequel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=Ynesdjzxix0&feature=emb_logo

Lord SNK
444th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Old games for old people" , posted Wed 24 Jun 02:03post reply

quote:
And also re-release the three SvC games, I'll multi-buy them at any price.

A Card Fighters Clash port with added online was my dream for years.
Instead they released that DS game. What a waste.

Just a Person
2215th Post

"Re(1):Old games for old people" , posted Wed 24 Jun 02:15post reply

quote:
So the NGP is back from the dead
https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/games/ngpcs/
Bring that to PC! And also re-release the three SvC games, I'll multi-buy them at any price.

That's great; the NGPC games are very charming! And somehow, my opinion is that their style is even more attractive now than it was back then!

---

quote:
A Card Fighters Clash port with added online was my dream for years.
Instead they released that DS game. What a waste.

Was the DS game different from the NGPC one? I never played any of them, so I always assumed the DS game was just a port.

Lord SNK
445th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Old games for old people" , posted Wed 24 Jun 02:56post reply

quote:

Was the DS game different from the NGPC one? I never played any of them, so I always assumed the DS game was just a port.

The DS game was a new game, they changed the system, and ruined it.
In previous games you could have only 3 cards in play at a time, now you could place much more (8 I think? I'm not sure, last time I played this game was years ago) and practically any strategy was meaningless when for winning it was easier to flood the game with lots of low cost cards overwhelming the opponent.
Also no online, right when Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection enabled games were all the rage (Pokemon Diamond&Pearl was released 1 year before CF:DS) made the game even more dead.

"Re(3):Old games for old people" , posted Wed 24 Jun 03:15post reply

Also the DS game changed the esthetics and added an energy system like Magic, which the NGP games really didn't need.

Ungenesis
539th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Old games for old people" , posted Wed 24 Jun 18:55post reply

quote:

They aren't really publicizing it, and I haven't seen it in discussion elsewhere yet. But if you look at the HUD at any point in the trailer, under the health bar is a prompt for "P2 Push Button" and the Selected Character indicator has a P1 on it. All signs point to this one having co-op multiplayer!

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Just a Person
2216th Post

"Re(4):Old games for old people" , posted Wed 24 Jun 21:00post reply

Thanks for the information! I must admit I didn't follow the news on the SvC card games, and after doing some research, the NGPC ones do seem to be much more interesting. And while the Pokémon strategy of simultaneously releasing two nearly identical games may be greedy, in this case I do like the idea, since the players can choose the version based on the company they prefer (and even the playable kids are different in each version).

It's a shame I didn't follow these games back then. Then again, I'm awful at card games, so maybe it was for the best.

neo0r0chiaku
581th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Old G games for old people in HD" , posted Thu 25 Jun 01:38:post reply

quote:
Thanks for the information! I must admit I didn't follow the news on the SvC card games, and after doing some research, the NGPC ones do seem to be much more interesting. And while the Pokémon strategy of simultaneously releasing two nearly identical games may be greedy, in this case I do like the idea, since the players can choose the version based on the company they prefer (and even the playable kids are different in each version).

It's a shame I didn't follow these games back then. Then again, I'm awful at card games, so maybe it was for the best.

Glad NGPC games are coming but would like to see more then just 3 games.

In other news, we finally get our hands on that title we all been asking for,
I bring to you G DARIUS in HD, announcement.
Update
VIDEO

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Fri 26 Jun 00:03]

Professor
5796th Post

MMCafe Owner

"The World Ends With Anime" , posted Fri 26 Jun 05:45:post reply

As what comes as quite a welcome surprise personally, Squenix's The World Ends With You is going anime. First details will be unveiled at Anime Expo Lite on July 4.

...wait what, Anime Expo is running a convention amidst the pandemic?

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 26 Jun 05:49]

"Re(6):Old G games for old people in HD" , posted Fri 26 Jun 08:22post reply

I get confused by all these darius games, to where I haven't purchased any of the collections. they're all like "well it has THESE games on it but also THESE ones if you purchased it on this day, in this configuration, and also THESE are DLC, and also it costs $90"

it's a bit too much!

"Re(1):The World Ends With Anime" , posted Fri 26 Jun 09:53post reply

quote:
...wait what, Anime Expo is running a convention amidst the pandemic?

I was about to be baffled, too, but then I realized they’re running the whole thing virtually! Pretty robust guest list with multiple channels so you can simulate the fun of running distractedly between different rooms!

quote:
I get confused by all these darius games, to where I haven't purchased any of the collections.
Literally the only thing more confusing is trying to figure out what they’ve apparently done with Bokujou Mongatari in the US by giving the old Harvest Moon name to a new foreign-made set of games while renaming the Bokumono something new?! I have to look it up all over again every time!

"Re(3):Little Witch Nobeta" , posted Mon 29 Jun 02:30post reply

Not to be confused with Trigger's debut OAV-turned-TV series Little Witch Academia or that other visual novel raisinngsim with Littlewitch in the name, Little Witch Nobeta has slowly been climbing the Steam popularity ranks due in part to its hyper contrasted moe-aesthetics with brutal, Souls-like third-person Gears of War style gameplay. I was made aware of this title from seeing a random gif of the titular witch tripping (completely wholesome stuff, don't worry), that made me try out the demo in curiosity. It turns out said "cute" tripping functioned as a mechanic for punishing players for depleting all their stamina, which is considerably excruciating during boss fights where being stun-locked could be a real threat, and boy does it really take its source material quite serious with its nice gothic interiors, spooky atmosphere, and enemies that will close the gap on you quickly. (No Estus Flask expy, as you'll be dependent on recovery gems that are "cursed": Using one means that upon death you lose half your souls-currency collected, kind of a midway point between Dark Souls and Dragon Quest.) Enemies are at times heavy on the i-frame dodging, but there's a little dash of Touhou in there that grazing projectiles and the like replenishes your mana i.e. your ammunition more.

Oh yeah, the Gears of War comparison...isn't coincidental. The spells you acquire are stand ins for your rifle, shotgun, machine-gun, etc. with different elemental properties. There's a fair amount of puzzle elements, but at most times its level design rewards you for using your abilities to get to seemingly out-of-reach places.

"Re(4):Little Witch Nobeta" , posted Mon 29 Jun 07:24post reply

This game looks to be very much in the inescapable DS sub-genre. But when avoiding attacks must she roll around on the ground in such an unsightly manner? Couldn't she pirouette or something else that's a bit more dignified?

"Re(5):Little Witch Nobeta" , posted Mon 29 Jun 07:39post reply

quote:
This game looks to be very much in the inescapable DS sub-genre. But when avoiding attacks must she roll around on the ground in such an unsightly manner? Couldn't she pirouette or something else that's a bit more dignified?

She does have a backstep/pirouette of sorts, not to mention a countermove/parry that's really hard to pull of (something about using the melee attack just as they're about to hit you with an attack).

Also there are two more bosses/areas in the Early Access. I was fairly impressed by the second area...and how the second boss really managed to school me into really taking its attacks seriously. They really do employ some "anti-dodgeroll spamming" by giving bosses moves that slightly draw you in before delivering a hit, which requires some well-timed i-framing. Luckily said bosses telegraph their windups really well to prepare you for the hit. It's almost rhythm-game-esq in that regard.

"Re(10):Segata Sanshirou is back... kinda" , posted Wed 8 Jul 10:25:post reply

quote:
If Sega is even temporarily back to its old habit of throwing money out the window can we at least get a new Virtua Fighter game?
You got what you wanted! But not in the way you expected it! Yes, don't look now, but Sega's latest strategic (?) gambit is the release of the...uh...Astro City Mini, an absurdly small reproduction of its classic arcade cabinets?!?!

...did old Sega games even use that cabinet abroad? They may need a new name.

Like the Game Gear Micro, I can't even begin to contemplate who will be looking to play Sega's godly arcade archive on such an ungodly small screen, but at this rate, maybe they really WILL be crazy enough to release the Mega CD Mini that I so desperately want.

But anyway, there are games!

Virtua Fighter 1 (yawn)
Fantasy Zone (1986? ok)
Golden Axe (sweet)
Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder (also good?)
Alien Storm (what is this)
Alien Syndrome (huh)
Columns II (where is hentai columns)
Tant-R (huh)
Dark Edge (double huh)
Juuouki/Altered Beast (rise from your...ah, never mind)
and 26 other unannounced titles you may actually care about!

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 8 Jul 10:29]

Lord SNK
449th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Segata Sanshirou is back... kind" , posted Wed 8 Jul 16:17post reply

quote:

Virtua Fighter 1 (yawn)
Fantasy Zone (1986? ok)
Golden Axe (sweet)
Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder (also good?)
Alien Storm (what is this)
Alien Syndrome (huh)
Columns II (where is hentai columns)
Tant-R (huh)
Dark Edge (double huh)
Juuouki/Altered Beast (rise from your...ah, never mind)
and 26 other unannounced titles you may actually care about!

I don't understand, usually these mini consoles emulate 1 specific hardware, Virtua Fighter and those other games didn't share the same arcade board.
Will they use MAME as the emulator?

Professor
5799th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Re(10):Segata Sanshirou is back... kind" , posted Wed 8 Jul 16:55:post reply

quote:
If Sega is even temporarily back to its old habit of throwing money out the window can we at least get a new Virtua Fighter game? You got what you wanted! But not in the way you expected it! Yes, don't look now, but Sega's latest strategic (?) gambit is the release of the...uh...Astro City Mini, an absurdly small reproduction of its classic arcade cabinets?!?!

AHH YES the Astro City! Together with Blast City they were the two most prevalent cabinets during the golden era of fighting games and most of the times the arcades used them for Capcom and SNK PCBs! The panels were swappable for mahjong games of course, like Super Real Majong, Hot Gimmick and whatnot. Ahh the good old days....

The site says it uses the same authentic materials for the buttons so I assume they're getting them from Seimitsu. Their wording isn't as clear on the stick, but if they're going authentic on it, it should be the Seimitsu LS-32, except Panasonic no longer manufactures microswitches so they now use microswitches from Omron, which I feel is slightly softer on touch.

(I can't help but notice how small the screen is compared to the cabinet.)

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 8 Jul 17:09]

"Re(3):Re(10):Segata Sanshirou is back... kind" , posted Wed 8 Jul 21:39post reply

quote:
If Sega is even temporarily back to its old habit of throwing money out the window can we at least get a new Virtua Fighter game? You got what you wanted! But not in the way you expected it! Yes, don't look now, but Sega's latest strategic (?) gambit is the release of the...uh...Astro City Mini, an absurdly small reproduction of its classic arcade cabinets?!?!

AHH YES the Astro City! Together with Blast City they were the two most prevalent cabinets during the golden era of fighting games and most of the times the arcades used them for Capcom and SNK PCBs! The panels were swappable for mahjong games of course, like Super Real Majong, Hot Gimmick and whatnot. Ahh the good old days....

The site says it uses the same authentic materials for the buttons so I assume they're getting them from Seimitsu. Their wording isn't as clear on the stick, but if they're going authentic on it, it should be the Seimitsu LS-32, except Panasonic no longer manufactures microswitches so they now use microswitches from Omron, which I feel is slightly softer on touch.

(I can't help but notice how small the screen is compared to the cabinet.)

Who is in charge of doing these ports? Is it M2 again? Porting Saturn/arcade games isn't exactly a walk in the park.

"Re(4):Re(10):Segata Sanshirou is back... kind" , posted Thu 9 Jul 03:58post reply

Revenge of Death Adder finally comes out on a home system and it's on this goofy little piece of junk? This is as bad as AvP being trapped inside Capcom's ridiculous billboard/controller.

"Re(5):Re(10):Segata Sanshirou is back... kind" , posted Thu 9 Jul 06:31post reply

quote:
Revenge of Death Adder finally comes out on a home system and it's on this goofy little piece of junk? This is as bad as AvP being trapped inside Capcom's ridiculous billboard/controller.

Ha! On the plus side, I hadn’t noticed before that it’ll also come with an HDMI cable so you can play on your TV. I’ll leave it to Prof to decide if the buttons are as good as Sega’s site claims. I didn’t notice any mention of M2 but might have missed it...then again, I associate them more strongly with console ports than arcade ports, though maybe it’s a similar set of skills?

Just a Person
2220th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Segata Sanshirou is back... kind" , posted Sun 12 Jul 00:22:post reply

Revenge of Death Adder allowed four players to play at once, didn't it? It looks quite impressive (and we can't ignore a game with a centaur and a giant carrying a dwarf among the playable heroes).

Back to the NGPC games discussion, one question: were they ported with added online? Because while I don't think there will be many people eager to have matches in SNK Gals Fighters with other people around the world, I'd say SNK vs Capcom Match of the Millennium has a huge potential to become tournament material among pro players (and also casual players and noobs like me), thanks to it having a good number of characters and lots of possibilities with the single/tag/trio options and the three different super meters...

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Sun 12 Jul 00:28]

"Re(7):Re(10):Segata Sanshirou is back... kind" , posted Mon 13 Jul 23:43post reply

Another one bites the dust. I was wondering why Gyakuten 7 hadn't been announced, guess it's going to spend time with Darkstalkers and the other properties trapped in Capcom limbo.

quote:
I'd say SNK vs Capcom Match of the Millennium has a huge potential to become tournament material among pro players (and also casual players and noobs like me), thanks to it having a good number of characters and lots of possibilities with the single/tag/trio options and the three different super meters...

The game is rife with infinites, some ridiculously easy to do. Unless it gets balance patched, it's staying strictly at casual level.

Just a Person
2220th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Segata Sanshirou is back... kind" , posted Tue 14 Jul 21:11post reply

quote:
The game is rife with infinites, some ridiculously easy to do. Unless it gets balance patched, it's staying strictly at casual level.

Good point. And it's very unlikely that SNK would patch the balance, so no tournament for MotM.

Still, this game has so much content and diversity that I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't be a hit (even if a minor one) if it was re-released on the Switch and other platforms.

"Re(9):Re(10):Segata Sanshirou is back... kind" , posted Wed 15 Jul 01:08post reply

quote:

Good point. And it's very unlikely that SNK would patch the balance, so no tournament for MotM.

Still, this game has so much content and diversity that I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't be a hit (even if a minor one) if it was re-released on the Switch and other platforms.

Yeah, and since I can't imagine anyone playing fighting games at a serious level on Switch anyway (Smash Brothers aside, I suppose) with that controller, I would think a fun, content-heavy, unbalanced game would be tons of fun and very popular there!

"Fantasy Strike is back... kind of" , posted Wed 22 Jul 23:25post reply

FYI, a core fighters version of Fantasy Strike is now available for free. Although I've only fiddled with the game for a little bit that seems like the right price.

"Re(1):Suikoden is back... kind of" , posted Tue 28 Jul 02:14post reply

Now as a kickstarted game with visuals clearly cribbing from Octopath Traveler

"Re(10):Re(10):Segata Sanshirou is back... kin" , posted Tue 28 Jul 16:30post reply

quote:
Yeah, and since I can't imagine anyone playing fighting games at a serious level on Switch anyway (Smash Brothers aside, I suppose) with that controller, I would think a fun, content-heavy, unbalanced game would be tons of fun and very popular there!

I don't get it... Why wouldn't the Switch be ideal for fighting games? I'm sure everybody would probably either use a Pro Controller or Arcade style fighting stick like any other system.

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Segata Suikoden" , posted Thu 30 Jul 08:09:post reply

quote:
I don't get it... Why wouldn't the Switch be ideal for fighting games? I'm sure everybody would probably either use a Pro Controller or Arcade style fighting stick like any other system.

That's the answer! As with the Wii, most fighting games are unplayable on the default Switch controller and thus less accessible. Plenty of serious fighters buy special pads or sticks, but plenty of other people do not---while Playstation and Xbox controllers have always been AWFUL for directional input fighters like Street Fighter, it is still techically possible to play decently well with them and to have some fun. The other factor is that, like the Wii, the Switch is a technologically weaker system than its two rivals. Note that I still think they are great!

On the subject of Gensou Suikoden: I've always heard great things about the series, especially II, and I'm not surprised that Konami's patented we-hate-you strategy has led to another spiritual successor in the Bloodstained style. As with Bloodstained's kind of lame name, I feel like these ex-Gensou Suikoden guys have been stuck with an unfortunate downgrade in their title..."The Tale of the 100 Heroes" is a far cry from "The [Fantasy] Tale of the Water Margin." Was every other Chinese classic taken? "[Fantasy] Dream of the Red Chamber" would be awesome.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 30 Jul 08:59]

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Segata Suikoden" , posted Thu 30 Jul 13:11post reply

quote:
As with Bloodstained's kind of lame name, I feel like these ex-Gensou Suikoden guys have been stuck with an unfortunate downgrade in their title..."The Tale of the 100 Heroes" is a far cry from "The [Fantasy] Tale of the Water Margin." Was every other Chinese classic taken? "[Fantasy] Dream of the Red Chamber" would be awesome.

Look we already know that the alternate name for "Tale of the Water Margin" is "Metal Gear Solid"

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Segata Suikoden" , posted Thu 30 Jul 13:30post reply

quote:
As with Bloodstained's kind of lame name, I feel like these ex-Gensou Suikoden guys have been stuck with an unfortunate downgrade in their title..."The Tale of the 100 Heroes" is a far cry from "The [Fantasy] Tale of the Water Margin." Was every other Chinese classic taken? "[Fantasy] Dream of the Red Chamber" would be awesome.

Look we already know that the alternate name for "Tale of the Water Margin" is "Metal Gear Solid"

Haw! Though I am pretty sure Metal Gear Solid is (or should have been) "[Fantasy Tale of] The Carnal Prayer Mat."

"ATTN LOONA: FFXI new story content?!" , posted Fri 31 Jul 15:11post reply

What does it all mean?!

I recall you talking about how the game was quite thoroughly done after the final chapter released some years ago, so I'm curious what your thoughts are on what possible other stories you as a long-time fan of the entire saga would find meaningful for it!

"Re(1):ATTN LOONA: FFXI new story content?!" , posted Tue 18 Aug 13:05post reply

quote:
What does it all mean?!

I recall you talking about how the game was quite thoroughly done after the final chapter released some years ago, so I'm curious what your thoughts are on what possible other stories you as a long-time fan of the entire saga would find meaningful for it!

While we wait for Loona's eventual take on new FFXI, here's something that's also almost as old: Gensou Suikoden! The kickstarter for Hyaku Eiyuuden, The Tale of 100 Heroes, broke $3 million on Kickstarter and received the most Japanese supporters of any Kickstarted game so far. I also see they're up to 109 heroes due to Kickstarter goals, so may be time to change the not-very-interesting title.

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Square Suikoden" , posted Tue 18 Aug 15:21post reply

quote:
That's the answer! As with the Wii, most fighting games are unplayable on the default Switch controller and thus less accessible. Plenty of serious fighters buy special pads or sticks, but plenty of other people do not---while Playstation and Xbox controllers have always been AWFUL for directional input fighters like Street Fighter, it is still techically possible to play decently well with them and to have some fun. The other factor is that, like the Wii, the Switch is a technologically weaker system than its two rivals. Note that I still think they are great!

I kinda disagree with you there. I was able to play Skullgirls and still pull off the harder combos while in handheld mode using he separate +Control Pad "buttons" and it was actually easier to pull off somehow than doing it with a regular pad. Perhaps it could be attributed to being less likely to fudge inputs? Also the Switch is no technological slouch and can play tourney fighting games (at least the ones on the system such as the ones by ArcSys) just fine.

On the relevant topic of Eiyuden/ex-Gensou Suikoden's presentation, Square-Enix trademarks "HD-2D".

"Re(1):RANDOM GAMES: Endless Shadowdrops" , posted Wed 19 Aug 03:34post reply

Indie World happened. Suddenly a bunch of games are now available right now!, including the long-awaited Spiritfarer and the failed-Kickstarter-game-that-somehow-finally-got-released Raji, and a couple of interesting ones like Card Shark. Still no word on Hollow Knight Silksong, though.

SuperGiant's Hades was also featured with PC cross-saving along with the introduction of a newly formed animation Studio Grackle.

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Square Suikoden" , posted Wed 19 Aug 03:51post reply

quote:
I was able to play Skullgirls and still pull off the harder combos while in handheld mode using he separate +Control Pad "buttons" and it was actually easier to pull off somehow than doing it with a regular pad.
!!"YOU HAVE FISTS OF GOD!" But while impressive, I think you can still see how even the awful PS and Xbox controllers would seem more plausible by default for a fighting game and thus a bigger audience, even if everyone should actually be buying Saturn pads or arcade sticks.

I guess the Switch is much less outmatched technologically than the Wii U and Wii were with their competitors, though I wonder how well it could handle the 3D games? Are Tekken 7 (are we on 7?) or Soul Calibur 6 doable?

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Square Suikoden" , posted Wed 19 Aug 06:40:post reply

quote:
!!"YOU HAVE FISTS OF GOD!" But while impressive, I think you can still see how even the awful PS and Xbox controllers would seem more plausible by default for a fighting game and thus a bigger audience, even if everyone should actually be buying Saturn pads or arcade sticks.

I think people will default to arcade sticks anyways, and given the Switch has compatibility for USB controlles (someone was able to make the Xbox Adaptive Controller work on the system) and 8bitdo's adapters, it should be no problem hooking up preexisting fighting sticks to the system.

quote:
I guess the Switch is much less outmatched technologically than the Wii U and Wii were with their competitors, though I wonder how well it could handle the 3D games? Are Tekken 7 (are we on 7?) or Soul Calibur 6 doable?

Considering it natively supports Unreal Engine 4, and Dragonball FighterZ also got a port on it, pretty much a yes.

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 19 Aug 06:44]

Ungenesis
541th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Wed 26 Aug 23:49post reply

coming December 15th for 20 bucks, and contains Final Fantasy Legend / SaGa 1-3. That seems a bit steep for 3 unchanged game boy games, but at least squenix is pushing saga in the west. I personally adore FFL3 and have very fond memories of playing it at summer camp on my original game boy, covered in garish decals from Nintendo power, sandwiched in a monstrous light / magnifier add on. Although I understand 2 seems to be the "star" of this trilogy, I've just never been able to sit through an entire play through before losing interest. I even tried an English patched version if the DS remake but that seemed even more convoluted. What's your favorite classic saga and why?

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

"Re(1):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Thu 27 Aug 03:10post reply

The success of the browser Saga and then the gacha Saga really made SQEX reconsider the series, did it? Or maybe they're tired of burning money for grandiosely vapid Final Fantasy projects, and they're starting to rediscover the value of smaller, more controlled games?

quote:
What's your favorite classic saga and why?

I really don't like any of them, but at least I respect 1 and 2 in the same way I respect FF2 and (begrudgingly) the original Romancing Sa.Ga 1: "they were necessary hurdles that our lord and savior had to overcome in order to achieve godhood and create the perfection that is Unlimited Sa every single game that he's ever created after those".
Honestly, even the DS remake of 2 was kind of cute, but less interesting than Saga Frontier 1, which is the only game to reuse some ideas from the GB games.

The problem with Saga is that since it's a series were the point is the complex and fun systems, going back to older, simpler games often feels like a step back. I think RS2 is the only one of the older games that can be seen as equal to Scarlet Grace without the nostalgia bonus, because it's the only one to achieve the perfect balance between having systems that are complex and fun, but also remaining relatively clear and focused in a way that all systems work organically together.

FF2 and Saga 1 and 2 are just too simple to be enjoyed as Saga games, but their stories are too hollow to be enjoyed as normal JRPG (Romancing Saga 1 just sucks and has no qualities besides the memes). All in all, even though Saga3 is not a Kawazu game and thus has no value in the grand scheme of our crusade, it's still a by-the-book, honest JRPG from the era. It has nothing interesting to say and thrives to achieve little, but it's at least competent for its time.
The other 3 games are just sketches for the better projects to come. They are the Vampire to Vampire Hunter/Savior, or Street Fighter Zero to Zero2/3. Their value is historical and little more.

Conclusion: where is the HD remaster of Minstrel Song SQEX, I'll buy ten of those and then ten more to distribute to my Steam friend list.

"Re(2):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Thu 27 Aug 03:37post reply

Rather than asking "what is your favourite classic SaGa", because I have no idea what the demarcation is between "classic" and "not-classic" when it comes to SaGa games, given the combination of extreme mechanical experimentalness that the games often have what would you say is the oldest SaGa game that you think is good?

And do you think that the games which follow that game could tend to all be considered good, or that in the arc there are a few milestone ones which greatly influence the shape and systems of the ones which follow?

"Re(3):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Thu 27 Aug 11:43:post reply

quote:
what would you say is the oldest SaGa game that you think is good?
I think S.A.G.A. (SaGa Apostle Gaming Activist) Iggy already answered this: Romancing SaGa II, which is both where the series became godly and also future-proofed. Like FFVI, every game in the respective series in some way wants to be this game. My (delayed) plan to buy a Switch is still primarily so I can play the best possible version of the remake.

I agree it's puzzling they'd do the Game Boy ones and that in a system-centric game, you'd want the best realization of the concept, or at least the first truly excellent version of it. There's a reason people come back to FFV but mostly ignore its obvious prototype, FFIII.
quote:
And do you think that the games which follow that game could tend to all be considered good
the perfection that is Unlimited Sa

I mean, even the most frightening zealot would be hard-pressed to justify the truly dreadful SaGa Frontier I, but I'm interested to hear if it played a role in the grand unified theory towards Unlimited: SaGa: Differential Equations: the Videogame. That game...sure has some good music!

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 27 Aug 11:44]

"Re(4):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Thu 27 Aug 19:44post reply

quote:
SaGa Frontier I

It introduced combination attacks, something the series kept forward all the way to the gacha game.
It's also the last game with a deliberate world mashing of robots, meat-eating monsters, fairies and humans, mixing guns, swords and magic into a weird melting pot. Until of course the gacha revived all that because world building is not that important in these games.
And it also has tremendous Itoken music, with possibly some of the most memorable battle tracks of the series (5 of them!), not to mention each character having their own final boss theme (starting here, and the others follow).
Ah, also, Kobayashi's art on the game is fantastic, as always.
Another thing is that it's one of the rare games of the series with several romances, including one between two women. The series in general outside of Frontier 1 and 2 has never been interested in inter-personal drama and love stories, which I think is a positive generally, but also I totally stan Asellus x Shirobarahime.

Generally, Frontier 1 has two main issues: first, the mash-up of world settings, from heroic fantasy to sci-fi to real world to tokusatsu. It makes the experience extremely weird next to the carefully crafted worlds of RS1-2-3, and then later Frontier2, Scarlet Grace, and especially Unlimited's. It's almost like F1 was a crossover game of preexisting franchises, disregarding the origins of each character before pushing them all together. The game is Kamen Rider vs Interview with a Vampire vs Wall-E vs LOTR vs Harry Potter vs some gritty Netflix spy show vs Clerks. On the other hand, you could say that it's the very identity of the game, for better or worse.

The other issue is obviously its horrible art style. It looks like the degenerate offspring of the Donkey Kong Country style, with more ambition and less money. At least its sacrifice was not in vain, since SQEX abandoned this line for their subsequent PS1 2D games, and went with the lovely directions of both Frontier 2 and Legend of Mana.
I'd be really curious if the game could be saved by a remake along the line of Seiken3's: even something with uninspired, middle-of-the-road 3D graphics would be a step up for Frontier1, and may allow whatever qualities it has to shine better. As long as T260G remains the cutest character in the series, I'd play it.

Just a Person
2235th Post

"Re(4):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Thu 27 Aug 20:41post reply

quote:
I mean, even the most frightening zealot would be hard-pressed to justify the truly dreadful SaGa Frontier I, but I'm interested to hear if it played a role in the grand unified theory towards Unlimited: SaGa: Differential Equations: the Videogame. That game...sure has some good music!

I like SaGa Frontier I, to be honest (though I only got to play it for the first time a couple years ago). The way how each protagonist has their own unique story and style, ranging from a tokusatsu adventure to a mystical journey... the sprites look good to me, and I also like that unlike the other SaGa games, it has a more modern world.

Frontier II seems to be the bigger offender in the saga (yes, pun intended); it had some good ideas but was too different from the other games in the series (and not in a good way).

"Re(5):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Thu 27 Aug 23:00:post reply

quote:
As long as T260G remains the cutest character in the series, I'd play it.

I like SaGa Frontier I, to be honest

Oh! So...so you all really do kind of like SaGa Frontier 1! [This is the point in the horror movie when the protagonist realizes that the abandoned castle they've entered is actually owned by a madman/vampire.]

Well, I really must be going... [The door is now locked.]

Oh! Ah...hahaha. Well. I, uh, actually love SaGa Frontier 1 as well! It’s certainly not like it turned me against the series for a decade until Iggy taught my the true ways. I mean, I played it through with at least two different characters, not so I could avoid admitting having wasted my money or anything, of course...hahaha...but because I was having so much fun!

Umm...Frontier 1 sure does have some fantastic Itoken music! Showdown with the Caballero Family, Nakajima Manufacturing Plant, Fight, Alkaiser!, and T260G's last boss theme are incredible. (This is going okay! What else...?!)

Uh...having Red’s story end with the game blacking out immediately after the last boss, and having Blue’s story end with the game freezing during the last boss because they’re in hell or somewhere is uh, very high-concept and certainly not a psychotic (even by SaGa standards) assault on the player. Yeah, that’s it! (I can’t keep this up!)

And...having characters learn combination attacks entirely randomly is a heartwarming reference to FFII’s beloved mechanic where you have to punch your own party members to gain HP and Ican’thideitanymore this game...really sucks!

Get me out of heeeeere! Is that Nosferatu?!

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 28 Aug 03:34]

Just a Person
2236th Post

"Re(6):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Thu 27 Aug 23:45post reply

quote:
As long as T260G remains the cutest character in the series, I'd play it.

I like SaGa Frontier I, to be honest

Oh! So...so you all really do kind of like SaGa Frontier 1! [This is the point in the horror movie when the protagonist realizes that the abandoned castle they've entered is actually owned by a madman/vampire.]

Well, I really must be going... [The door is now locked.]

Ah...hahaha. Well. I, uh, love SaGa Frontier 1 as well! It’s certainly not like it turned me against the series for a decade until Iggy taught my the true ways. I mean, I played it through with at least two different characters, not so I could avoid admitting having wasted my money or anything, of course...hahaha...but because I was having so much fun!

Umm...Frontier 1 sure does have some fantastic Itoken music! Showdown with the Caballero Family, Nakajima Manufacturing Plant, Fight, Alkaiser!, and T260G's last boss theme are incredible. (This is going okay! What else...?!)

Uh...having Red’s story end with the game blacking out immediately after the last boss, and having Blue’s story end with the game freezing during the last boss because they’re in hell or somewhere is uh, very high-concept and certainly not a psychotic (even by SaGa standards) assault against the player. Yeah, that’s it! (I can’t keep this up!)

And...having characters learn combination attacks entirely randomly is a heartwarming reference to FFII’s beloved mechanic where you punch your own party members to gain HP and Ican’thideitanymore this game...really sucks!

Get me out of heeeeere! It's that Nosferatu?

Heh... I get your point, trust me. It was a very unfinished game, definitely (Fuse's aborted campaign doesn't really bother me, but the several cuts on the campaigns that made it to the final product bother me a lot). It's just that... I don't know, I just find it charming in a way. The characters are likeable, the diversity in settings is really cool (I mean, how many games have a cyberpunk city, a magical island, a dark supernatural land, a gigantic spaceship that also works as some sort of luxury hotel, a Resident Evil-like giant laboratory, ancient ruins...?), and the way how each campaign feels like its own game (ranging from creepy to comical) - at least the parts of them that weren't cut out, of course. Oh, and then there are the techniques (that pro-wrestling multi-part combo was amazing!), and the unique ways to develop each party members (with Monsters changing forms, Robots getting new parts, etc.).

I think this could have been the best SaGa game... emphasis on could have. Thanks to its unfinished state, Frontier ends up paling in comparison with the Romancing trilogy (which isn't really a trilogy as they aren't directly related, but... yeah). But it's still much better than Frontier 2 and Unlimited, in my opinion. And SquareEnix should definitely remake it someday and include the missing parts this time. But it's SquareEnix we're talking about, so of course they'll never do that.

"Re(7):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Fri 28 Aug 02:58post reply

Saga Frontier 1 sounds like a sequel to Live A Live with the ambition of Dragon Quest 7 but the same amount of budget and time as Live A Live.

"Re(6):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Fri 28 Aug 04:53post reply

quote:
Oh! So...so you all really do kind of like SaGa Frontier 1!

Oh! No, there's a misunderstanding here, I hate the game. I bought a PS1 coming off FF6 and RS2/3, and the first games I rushed to buy were FF7 and Frontier1. I do not have the vocabulary to describe the depth of the disappointment I still feel all these years later.
Still, it's a SaGa game, so it's better than 90% of the games out there. It's more that I have a personal grudge against the game, a sort of reverse-nostalgia.

I was just trying to list up anything positive I could think about the game. Which, to my surprise, is a list much longer than anything I can list for Frontier2!
Fortunately, once that boring series was done, Wild Card happened, mega-evolved into Unlimited: Saga, and all was right again with the world. Until obviously the game bombed horribly, but that's why we can't have nice things.

The thing about Frontier1 being unfinished is a stable in the series, though. Saga 1, RS 1 and 3 and Unlimited have obvious cut corners and missing elements that should have been there but weren't done, and Kawazu just said "fuck it, deadline is now". It may be sad, but on the other hand, it's thanks to that kind of thinking that FF12 escaped development hell, so, there.
A note at least: Blue freezing midway through his final stretch is not some cut corner, it was always intended to be like that. No, I don't know either.

"Re(7):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Fri 28 Aug 07:02post reply

quote:
Kamen Rider vs Interview with a Vampire vs Wall-E vs LOTR vs Harry Potter vs some gritty Netflix spy show vs Clerks!

a sequel to Live A Live with the ambition of Dragon Quest 7 but the same amount of budget and time as Live A Live!

Behold, the perfect box copy for the eventual remake! Though I feel like this is a reverse-insult to Live-A-Live by association.

Oh yes, I defnitely read a Famitsu interview or something with Kawazu one time where he explained how at the exact moment Blue kills the last boss, he's frozen in hell (maybe by Red, as part of some plan?) and that's why the game freezes and there is no ending. This is both the most rotten trick ever performed in an RPG and possibly modern art...or at least it would be, but it's less convincing when you notice that Red's own crappy ending is also only 55 seconds long.

In conclusion: was Frontier 2 that bad? I get in trouble with Iggy and the Itoken legions every time I mention it, but the Hamauzu music is even better!

Just a Person
2237th Post

"Re(8):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Fri 28 Aug 07:23post reply

quote:
Saga Frontier 1 sounds like a sequel to Live A Live with the ambition of Dragon Quest 7 but the same amount of budget and time as Live A Live.

That's... a surprisingly accurate description of SaGa Frontier 1. The multiple stories with wildly different settings do feel similar to Live A Live, only they happen simultaneously here rather than in different eras, and occasionally cross over at some points (but remain independent from each other).

---

quote:
In conclusion: was Frontier 2 that bad? I get in trouble with Iggy and the Itoken legions every time I mention it, but the Hamauzu music is even better!

That's a matter of opinion. It's a very different game: while 1 happens in a modern setting, 2 takes place in a medieval setting; 1's stories happen in a relatively short time, while 2's span over generations. 2's combat system involves a good deal of management of your soldiers (in fact, there are several moments where you have to control an army to fight another army).

SF2 looks beautiful, that's a plus. The main problem to me is that it goes against everything that makes the SaGa series interesting: rather than presenting an open world where you can explore and do sidequests any time, SF2 is too linear, with too little room to do things differently and little variety of recruitable party members (maybe not in number, but definitely in personality). And while the story is good, there are points where it becomes too convoluted, and in my opinion, while SF1 has a good number of likeable characters, SF2 has few of them.

I don't know if it is a bad game in general, but it's definitely a bad SaGa game.

"Re(8):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Fri 28 Aug 07:52post reply

quote:
was Frontier 2 that bad?

Frontier 2 promised it was going back to Romancing Saga2: medieval, generational... However, it decided to do its own thing, and unfortunately its own thing wasn't really that interesting (or maybe I'm still too betrayed by the promise to not be all emotional about it). I also find the opening hours incredibly boring. I think Kawazu is a great writer, but his talent shines in very short pieces of witty dialogues full of secondary meanings. Long winded exposition is not his forte.

quote:
I get in trouble with Iggy and the Itoken legions every time I mention it, but the Hamauzu music is even better!

But also, Unlimited:SaGa is far greater and is my favourite Hamauzu piece of work, so there really is nothing left to Frontier 2 !

"Re(9):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Fri 28 Aug 08:20post reply

At last, I've escaped Vampire Lord Baron von SaGa Frontier's haunted castle alive and can speak my mind! SaGa Frontier really sucks! I've finished other bad RPGs from the era that are objectively worse (Thousand Arms) or more boring (Wild Arms), but I've never had one give me the finger that brazenly, thus my shared grudge with Iggy towards it.
quote:
But also, Unlimited:SaGa is far greater and is my favourite Hamauzu piece of work, so there really is nothing left to Frontier 2 !

You included Travels through Space and Time! <3 <3 Despite never playing U:SaGa, I listened to that song on almost continuous loop for most of 2004-2005 for no apparent reason. However, you forgot Amakakeru Tsubasa, Wings that Soar Heavenward. Sometimes, people will tell you that it is not in fact the greatest vocal theme in all of Square Enix's history. These people are wrong!

Just a Person, was it you or Loona who had that special love for Live A Live, a game I played about four minutes of in high school once and always regretted not playing? I'd love to hear all about it. Specifically: can a lover of later-generation SFC RPGs and/or Saturn RPGs enjoy it in 2020?

Just a Person
2238th Post

"Re(10):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Fri 28 Aug 08:33post reply

quote:
Just a Person, was it you or Loona who had that special love for Live A Live, a game I played about four minutes of in high school once and always regretted not playing? I'd love to hear all about it. Specifically: can a lover of later-generation SFC RPGs and/or Saturn RPGs enjoy it in 2020?

...Loona, I guess? I mean, I did compliment Live A Live here, but wouldn't say that I have a special love for it; graphically it's not the best SFC game Square did back in the day (it's not bad, of course, but there are better-looking entries), and the combat system isn't particularly appealing. Which is kind of a problem in the Street Fighter-inspired story that takes place in the 1990s (which is incredibly short and consists only of combats, with zero exploration).

That said, the diversity in settings and stories is very nice (it helps that each of the stories was made by a different author, if I remember correctly), the gimmicks for each part are very interesting (from the stealth mission throughout the entire chapter in feudal Japan to progressing the story through mind-reading in the Akira-like chapter, and the heartbreaking one in ancient China that I can't detail without giving some severe spoilers), and the soundtrack is amazing.

"Re(10):Collection of SaGa announced" , posted Fri 28 Aug 20:37:post reply

quote:
However, you forgot Amakakeru Tsubasa, Wings that Soar Heavenward. Sometimes, people will tell you that it is not in fact the greatest vocal theme in all of Square Enix's history. These people are wrong!

Oh, I did not forget about it, heavens! It's just that it was not a Hamauzu piece, as far as I remember.
I DO know however that the lyrics were written by Kawazu himself, and I believe it's the only song he's ever written... and it's surprisingly good for a song written by someone whose job has nothing to do with music normally!
Also, he was friend with the soprano I believe, or became friend with her during the recording of the song. He met some resistance to have her sing over some random idol of the moment, but fortunately it was the last project were he had a bit of clout at SQEX (plus PS2 Square was a bit more daring than the following era), so it ended up going forward.

quote:
You included Travels through Space and Time!

Possibly related: may I interest you in this barrel of the discoest disco sewer music you've probably ever heard in your life?
Seriously, if that's the music you can hear in real life sewers, I'd enroll to be a sewage worker tomorrow.
Strangely enough, the SFC version remains my favourite. The Minstrel Song version is great of course, as are the Re:Birth version and the live version (because there is no place for a violin more adequate than the bottom of a sewer disco), but the metallic synth samples of the original are just too good.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Fri 28 Aug 21:13]

"Re(2):Re(10):Collection of SaGa Sewer" , posted Fri 28 Aug 23:41post reply

Just a Person, reading this, I think it was you! That is a glowing review of Live A Live, and reminds me of how I really need to get to it...especially if it's short!
quote:
Oh, I did not forget about it, heavens! It's just that it was not a Hamauzu piece, as far as I remember.

And I am here to spread the Good News, friend! Now that you've joined the Church of Kawaz...wait, I see you're already the director. Regardless! Amakakeru Tsubasa is now truly the godliest collaboration, because it's Kawazu on lyrics and Hamauzu on composition!
quote:
DISCO SEWER MUSIC
You'd better believe you can interest me in it! I was very close to starting the Sewer Music Thread but I'll do it here for now, though it's a...surprisingly robust genre! Just like the older and less produced version of FFIII's Eternal Wind is the most beautiful, the SFC Sewer version is best, even if the techno-neo-Tokyo Minstrel Song version is hot hot hot. Among other quality sewer tracks (!), I think this one beats FFVIII's Intruders and most others, though Chrono Trigger's Underground Waterway is VERY special.

"Collection of Sewer Music" , posted Sat 29 Aug 00:28post reply

I'm starting to believe that Japanese sewers serve an entirely different purpose than the western sewers.
Yangus's Fushidan is some dreamy relaxation music that I would not associate with the idea of sewers.
Even Pokémon, whose fantastic music is too often overlooked, has a very energetic and dance-y image of the place (maybe it's understandable, if you think of the sewers as a place you go to make friend with litterral piles of garbage and carry them back with you to travel around the world).

On the other hand, most western games see the sewers as something hollow and menacing you wouldn't want to stay in. For example, certified yôge Parasite Eve.

I was looking at fighting games to get a neutral point of view, but the games equipped with sewages I could think of (KOF99, Xmen vs SF) have themes per characters and not by stage, so the mystery remains.

"Re(1):Collection of Sewer Music" , posted Sat 29 Aug 02:43post reply

Ye gods! Now that we're full-on Sewer Thread, I realized I forgot to plug Lunar as the source of one of the finest sewer disco dances ever composed, Mysterious Cave (which is never used in caves and first heard in the Meribian Sewers) from Lunar~Silver Star Story.

I'm ready to go all-in on your anthropology of sewer game music, agreeing that Japanese RPG sewers and their sound seem to be particularly frightening when they're referencing Western settings, like Parasite Eve and the drip-drip sound effects only of Xenogears' (amazingly terrible) sewer suspense sequence right down to a The Shining reference.

What's the reason for these grim sewers and their decidely non-discotastic sewer sounds? Maybe it's the iconic Western sewers that are the two cultural counterpoints, the frightening labyrinth of the Parisian sewers (where I once went and was on the lookout for Javert and Jean Valjean) and the dirty criminal mutant sewers of the Ninja Turtles.

"Re(2):Collection of Sewer Music" , posted Mon 31 Aug 00:19post reply

Amazing! This is a category I never thought about but it is surprisingly robust. Since wading through waste disposal tunnels has proven to be a popular pastime in games I'll have to think about what other sewer melodies might exist out there.

Neo0r0chiaku
586th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Collection of Sewer Music" , posted Mon 31 Aug 15:12post reply

quote:
Ye gods! Now that we're full-on Sewer Thread, I realized I forgot to plug Lunar as the source of one of the finest sewer disco dances ever composed, Mysterious Cave (which is never used in caves and first heard in the Meribian Sewers) from Lunar~Silver Star Story.

I'm ready to go all-in on your anthropology of sewer game music, agreeing that Japanese RPG sewers and their sound seem to be particularly frightening when they're referencing Western settings, like Parasite Eve and the drip-drip sound effects only of Xenogears' (amazingly terrible) sewer suspense sequence right down to a The Shining reference.

What's the reason for these grim sewers and their decidely non-discotastic sewer sounds? Maybe it's the iconic Western sewers that are the two cultural counterpoints, the frightening labyrinth of the Parisian sewers (where I once went and was on the lookout for Javert and Jean Valjean) and the dirty criminal mutant sewers of the Ninja Turtles.

Can't believe you brought up this track from Lunar. I was just listening to the OST from the Saturn game and that track was on repeat for quite sometime. Never played the game, hopefully I do.

Sewer theme songs in fighting games. Does Groove on Fight have one? I tried my best finding a fighting game. I know it's out there. Just hard to find.

Long Live I AM!

"Re(3):Collection of Sewer Music" , posted Tue 1 Sep 06:48:post reply

quote:
Can't believe you brought up this track from Lunar. I was just listening to the OST from the Saturn game and that track was on repeat for quite sometime. Never played the game, hopefully I do.
From SaGa to Lunar, all of the world’s greatest but slightly underappreciated RPGs from the 1990s are united by superior sewer music!

Which of the many (tragically incomplete) combined drama CDs/partial OSTs are you working from? Lunatic Festa? The game is worth your time. Play Silver Star on Saturn or PS, then play the superior original version of Eternal Blue on Mega CD (maybe even first, it still works out of order).

Meanwhile, did I just hear that Phantasy Star Online 2 was being re-released and somehow had never been west before, despite the first one having been pretty popular globally?

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 1 Sep 06:50]

neo0r0chiaku
587th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Collection of Sewer Music" , posted Tue 1 Sep 07:52post reply

quote:
Can't believe you brought up this track from Lunar. I was just listening to the OST from the Saturn game and that track was on repeat for quite sometime. Never played the game, hopefully I do. From SaGa to Lunar, all of the world’s greatest but slightly underappreciated RPGs from the 1990s are united by superior sewer music!

Which of the many (tragically incomplete) combined drama CDs/partial OSTs are you working from? Lunatic Festa? The game is worth your time. Play Silver Star on Saturn or PS, then play the superior original version of Eternal Blue on Mega CD (maybe even first, it still works out of order).

Meanwhile, did I just hear that Phantasy Star Online 2 was being re-released and somehow had never been west before, despite the first one having been pretty popular globally?

Its the complete Gamerip audio. I really want to play Saturn games that I never played before, but as stingy as I can be, I want to experience it on some kind of system where graphics and audio is improved(which Emulators do now but illegal)and most importantly, have no loading time. I am an impatient man with loading times. Am I wrong for this?

Long Live I AM!

"Re(5):Collection of Sewer Music" , posted Tue 1 Sep 11:48post reply

quote:
Its the complete Gamerip audio. I really want to play Saturn games that I never played before, but as stingy as I can be, I want to experience it on some kind of system where graphics and audio is improved(which Emulators do now but illegal)and most importantly, have no loading time. I am an impatient man with loading times. Am I wrong for this?

Nice! Where’d you get it, and who ripped it? I’ve compiled various homemade soundtracks over the years due to the frustrating inability of Iwadare to ever put together a full official set of Lunar soundtracks, but the Saturn version of SSS I don’t have for some reason.

Until Sega makes all our dreams come true with a Saturn Mini, isn’t the Polymega from the other thread focusing on MCD, Saturn, Neo Geo CD, etc. as a piece of hardware, presumably with the ability to speed things up or add save states, unless they’re being pointlessly hardware-pure and are literally just including the original hardware?

Neo0r0chiaku
588th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Collection of Sewer Music" , posted Tue 1 Sep 13:55post reply

quote:

I was looking at fighting games to get a neutral point of view, but the games equipped with sewages I could think of (KOF99, Xmen vs SF) have themes per characters and not by stage, so the mystery remains.

Iggy, JoJos bizarre adventures for Dreamcast. Pet Shops stage is in sewers.

quote:

Nice! Where’d you get it, and who ripped it? I’ve compiled various homemade soundtracks over the years due to the frustrating inability of Iwadare to ever put together a full official set of Lunar soundtracks, but the Saturn version of SSS I don’t have for some reason.

Not sure but had it on my various collections. How can I give it to you?

Long Live I AM!

"Re(2):Collection of Sewer Music" , posted Wed 2 Sep 03:08post reply

quote:
Not sure but had it on my various collections. How can I give it to you?

Huge thanks! I have an idea...try me at zonepharaoh at gmail.com. I've got something you find of interest, too.

Ungenesis
542th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Collection of Sewer Music" , posted Tue 8 Sep 06:04post reply

quote:

It's both! It came west back in February as a timed Xbox exclusive, had a disastrous PC release 2 months later in the Windows store, and now it's good to go on Steam. Then next year, PSO2 New Genesis will be released as a separate, open-world game to PSO2 (no more lobbies!), but you'll be able to import your characters and any cosmetics, including your gear (but it will apparently only work as a skin, since the gameplay mechanics will be all new). Then Sega is back porting the new engine to PSO2 and the graphics will be updated to current-gen.

Also, these sewer themes are bangin'!

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

"Re(5):Zelda Musou 2: Electric Boogaloo" , posted Wed 9 Sep 04:27:post reply

So Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity was announced. Unlike the previous Zelda Musou title, this is being treated more as a mainline canon title in the series taking place as a prequel, with extensive collaboration with the Zelda team for art and story. One wonders though if it will retain the trademark "Musou rock guitar tracks" that the Warriors series is known for.

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 9 Sep 04:27]

"Re(6):Zelda Musou 2: Electric Boogaloo" , posted Wed 9 Sep 15:04post reply

We interrupt Musou Sewer Music Fest to bring you the final Astro City Mini lineup. I still don't quite get why it's mostly really old arcade games and none of the 1990s AM2 glory days' releases except for Virtua Fighter 1 of all the damn things, but maybe you do?? Please help me undestand!

In addition to what was already out, I see Wonder Boy , Wonder Boy Monster Land, Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair, Puyo Puyo 1&2, Columns, Shinobi, Space Harrier, Flicky, Alex Kidd, Thunder Force, and Arabian Fight, among other things.

"Re(7):Kiki Kaikai: Kuro Mantle no Nazo" , posted Wed 9 Sep 17:35:post reply

There's a new Pocky and Rocky announced by Tengo Project.

Edit: Low res scans of are out.

Edit 2: Video has been uploaded! Above screenshots can also be found on their twitter.

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 10 Sep 16:11]

"Re(8):Kiki Kaikai: Kuro Mantle no Nazo" , posted Thu 10 Sep 21:47post reply

quote:

Edit 2: Video has been uploaded! Above screenshots can also be found on their twitter.

Neat! I only played the first game in the series but I found it to be unique and fun. I wonder what is going to be changed for the remake? How will the sprites be different? These Natsume encores are good at creating remakes that look like how you remember the game instead of how it actually looked.

PSN: Kusanagi82
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Zelda Musou 2: Electric Boogaloo" , posted Fri 11 Sep 03:02post reply

quote:
I still don't quite get why it's mostly really old arcade games and none of the 1990s AM2 glory days' releases except for Virtua Fighter 1 of all the damn things, but maybe you do?? Please help me undestand!

Oh that's because they are easier to emulate on lesser hardware than those AM2 titles.
I suspect the hardware running these mini Astro City cabinets is pretty low end and cheap.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"
Neo0r0chiaku
589th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Kiki Kaikai: Kuro Mantle no Nazo" , posted Sat 12 Sep 04:10post reply

quote:

So happy for this. One of my favorite and memorable games. Any played the spiritual successor of this series on the Wii? Forgot the name and I think it's in Switch now. I haven't played it yet though.

Natsume had nice products. They were bought out by Atari? When was this?

There is something else I need to bring up that has been a long issue for me for quite sometime. Any help needed. In short,I need a new Treasure Inc Vaccine. It has been over 10 years since there full offering and over 16 since it's last special dosage of a shoot em up. This is dragging to long.

I have been trying to have time to play Radiant Silvergun on Xbox live as it is my first time experience the game. Never had it for Saturn. As I mentioned before, I am hooked. Listening over to the original soundtrack lately, I am just so quite amazed on the aurura that does musical showpiece is presented. It really gets you into another dimensions. Primarily, the track Evasion. Geeeez!!!!!!!

Sorry to baffle, something needs to be done. We need a new game from Treasure Inc before the original creators get to old to create. We need to bring it to life again.

Long Live I AM!

"Re(9):Kiki Kaikai: Kuro Mantle no Treasure" , posted Sat 12 Sep 08:34post reply

I had it in the back of my mind that Treasure was one of those sad Gainax-like situation where the brilliant insane indie studio had essentially collapsed internally without anybody noticing, and with all the most important people having already left. In fact, I seem to recall that some of the Treasure people are actually at M2, which is why everything they touch is golden.

I think Spoon and others in the Random Threads periodically find good Blue Sky heroic fighter pilot games for us to try, usually indie offerings on Steam. Oh, like Jet Lancer in this very thread! There was also Risk System, and then some game whose name I forgot that included lavish 2D space shooting action but you were actually a mech with a huge sword. It was a Japanese release on Steam, with an English version.

In conclusion: you must play Ikaruga until you can finally win without infinite lives. This will take 100 years, or at least until Treasure or their successor make another game.

"Re(10):Kiki Kaikai: Kuro Mantle no Treasure" , posted Sat 12 Sep 18:14post reply

quote:
In conclusion: you must play Ikaruga until you can finally win without infinite lives. This will take 100 years, or at least until Treasure or their successor make another game.

I have beaten Ikaruga on Normal once! It was definitely nerve wracking and nowdays I doubt I have the patience to be such a perfectionaist.

Neo0r0chiaku
590th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Kiki Kaikai: Kuro Mantle no Trea" , posted Mon 14 Sep 05:03post reply

quote:

I have beaten Ikaruga on Normal once! It was definitely nerve wracking and nowdays I doubt I have the patience to be such a perfectionaist.

Yea I was able to do that during my Dreamcast days. Going to try it again on the switch because, well I need a temporary treasure Inc shoot em up vaccine.

The only games I have never played where dynamite headdy, alien soldier, and light crusader. Maybe I will explore these games soon. But I haven't managed to complete Silhouette Mirage or Mischief Makers. And of course now Radiant Silvergun. So maybe this may entertain me for a bit, but we need an original need Treasure Inc game asap.

Tell them I don't mind putting in an investment to get this started lol.

Back to Pocky and Rocky, we need more of these. That was one challenging game. That mountain/ghost ship stage was hard. Love the music.

Long Live I AM!

"Final Last Remnant XVI" , posted Thu 17 Sep 07:21:post reply

Hey, it's the trailer for FFXIV-2 FFXVI! It looks kind of like FFXIV, which makes sense since it's produced by Yoshida Naoki, the genius who heroically salvaged that game, and directed by Takai Hiroshi, the director of MMCafe's Favorite (?) Second-Tier 2000s RPG, Last Remnant.

It's been exactly twenty years since the last time Square released a Nomura-free, swords and sorcery non-online Final Fantasy (IX) that made be go, "Huh, that's definitely not what I was expecting." Well, maybe offline MMORPG FFXII, but that doesn't count. Either way, since I secretly suspect FFXIV of having the best Final Fantasy story in recent memory despite never having played it, and am certain that Yoshida is very talented, it seems like a good thing for everyone even if the characters' faces don't look very good. Did we finally hit the limit of expression in PS5?

I was also temporarily excited about the Wakamoto-esque guy at the beginning, but I'm not confident it's him after listening again.
quote:
The only games I have never played where dynamite headdy, alien soldier, and light crusader.
I still can't believe the dopey Dynamite Headdy made it onto the MD Mini rather than the eternally glorious Alien Solider. One day when you have played it, we will create a boutique mini-thread like the Super Robot Taisen one and only talk about the best boss rush game ever made.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 17 Sep 07:22]

"Re(1):Final Last Remnant XVI" , posted Thu 17 Sep 08:18post reply

I'm torn about nomura not being on it. Because on the one hand, nomura has no taste and is stuck in the year 2003. on the other hand, that's kind of funny, and my favorite thing about FFXV was all the funny dumb stuff. Square Enix hasn't been able to do a serious game that made me feel like it was made by adults since... well, since I myself was a child.

guess we'll see!

"Unexpected crossover" , posted Thu 17 Sep 17:49post reply

Why does Pokémon Dark Souls work so well?

"Re(2):Final Last Remnant Disgaea Hunter Rise" , posted Fri 18 Sep 04:44post reply

Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2 have been announced.

MHR will take the seamless map of World and intergrate it with scaling mechanics of MH4 by introducing SpiderMan Bionic Commando-style swinging, ridable doggos called Palimutes, and in-monster fighting.

Apparently Monster Hunter Stories didn't get enough love, but I wish they could've shown some gameplay footage here. No matter as more stuff will be shown at TGS.

Disgaea 6 was also announced and seems to be the first that doesn't use sprites for its characters.

Balan Wonderland is looking more to be post-Sega Yuji Naka NiGHTS.

(Also hurray for more Rune Factory!)

"IKARUGA" , posted Tue 22 Sep 06:35post reply

"WARNING: The big enemy is approaching at full throttle. According to the data, it is identified as Butsutekkai"

That's right, while everyone of course has already bought the Greatest Shooting Game on Switch years ago, what if I told you a weirdly-named company called Pikii is doing a small-run physical release with a special case, color manual, and model Ikaruga ship?

Who knows what's happened to Treasure, but we must continue praying for their reconstruction or eventual absorption by M2 by playing Ikaruga as much as possible, at all times.

"Re(1):IKARUGA" , posted Tue 22 Sep 14:04post reply

quote:
Who knows what's happened to Treasure, but we must continue praying for their reconstruction or eventual absorption by M2 by playing Ikaruga as much as possible, at all times.

I'm still waiting for the eventual Steam port of Radiant Silvergun and Sillhouette Mirage, but now I wonder how likely that will be now.

Treasure incidentally reminds me of GAINAX in many ways. Both were at the top of their game in their heyday, yet have somehow fallen off from grace, and leave us with all sorts of mind-screwy unresolved endings.

"Re(2):EVANGELION...eSports?" , posted Thu 24 Sep 00:51post reply

Well, speaking of...apparently there's an Evangelion-branded eSports team now.

Just who the hell is their coach? Gendo?

"Re(3):EVANGELION...eSports?" , posted Fri 25 Sep 22:46post reply

quote:
Well, speaking of...apparently there's an Evangelion-branded eSports team now.

Just who the hell is their coach? Gendo?

I'm not really certain what's the point of Eva-sports. Did people suddenly forget about Evangelion? At least the team jerseys are neat.

Speaking of companies still trying to squeeze water out of the eSports rock, Sega is doing something or other with VF.

Neo0r0chiaku
593th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):IKARUGA" , posted Sat 26 Sep 10:37post reply

quote:
"WARNING: The big enemy is approaching at full throttle. According to the data, it is identified as Butsutekkai"

That's right, while everyone of course has already bought the Greatest Shooting Game on Switch years ago, what if I told you a weirdly-named company called Pikii is doing a small-run physical release with a special case, color manual, and model Ikaruga ship?

Damn you Amazon. I was set to purchase from Pikii directly but then they said it was sold out. So I had no choice but the get the US version of this special edition by Nicalis. Now it's available again in Japan.

I am already playing again the switch digital version. Can never get bored of this game. Stage 3 is by far my favorite. Throws everything at you to challenge your instincts.

But in reality, we do need something like this for Radiant Silvergun. Hell, Treasure need to release a collection.

Long Live I AM!

"Re(2):SHIREN" , posted Mon 28 Sep 12:24post reply

That Shiren game for Vita is coming to Switch on December 2 (December 3 in Japan) with new bonus dungeons.

(I'm going to miss Sega's attrocious boxart for the series...)

Just a Person
2241th Post

"Re(3):Final Last Remnant Disgaea Hunter Rise" , posted Mon 28 Sep 21:35post reply

quote:
Disgaea 6 was also announced and seems to be the first that doesn't use sprites for its characters.

I hope NISA remembers to bring the Prism Rangers this time.

"Re(4):Final Last Remnant Disgaea Hunter Rise" , posted Wed 30 Sep 03:29post reply

quote:

I hope NISA remembers to bring the Prism Rangers this time.

I fell off the Disgaea train awhile ago, which means at this point I'm probably 75,000 hours behind in gameplay. Which of the games are worth checking out?

"Halloween Crossing" , posted Thu 1 Oct 13:29post reply

Now that it’s October, it’s time to plant your pumpkins (or five, like I just did) in Animal Crossing to make sure we have enough for Jack O Lanterns! Will we be able to visit each other’s islands to trick or treat? Will it all be about grown adults in “sexy [regular job here]” outfits? I haven’t read the announcement, so I’m sure I don’t know! It should be fun.

"Re(1):Halloween Crossing" , posted Sun 4 Oct 05:11post reply

quote:
Now that it’s October, it’s time to plant your pumpkins (or five, like I just did) in Animal Crossing to make sure we have enough for Jack O Lanterns! Will we be able to visit each other’s islands to trick or treat? Will it all be about grown adults in “sexy [regular job here]” outfits? I haven’t read the announcement, so I’m sure I don’t know! It should be fun.

Much like the way Martin Luther nailed the 95 Theses to the doors of Wittenberg Castle church, October only exists so that the world can, once again, be told: Les jeux video cest d'la merde.

"Re(2):Halloween Crossing" , posted Sun 4 Oct 12:22:post reply

quote:

Much like the way Martin Luther nailed the 95 Theses to the doors of Wittenberg Castle church, October only exists so that the world can, once again, be told: Les jeux video cest d'la merde.

whaaaaat you are going to love my marvelous pumpkin patch and I’m already gathering candy for visitors! It’s a charming solution to the increasingly hedonistic adult Halloween of the 21st century. But who is the Pumpking who’s arriving?!

But it’s true that the proper Cafe way to celebrate Halloween is to beat a Dracula game in the dark, ideally around midnight, while reporting in here. May I recommend the PS4 Dracula X Selection/Requiem?

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 4 Oct 22:55]

"Re(3):Simon Belmont Crossing" , posted Sun 1 Nov 12:40post reply

We interrupt this regular programming on Halloween night to resurrect the Random Thread (things have been unusually specific and non-random!) to both report that the Halloween event in Animal Crossing was highly adorable (I threatened multiple people into giving me candy with a scary costume), and to deliver a protective ward against evil on All Hallows’ Eve via the godly X68000 Chronicle version of Simon Belmont’s Theme, which supplies the energy to go forth and kick ass on vampires and the undead legions any day of the year!

"Re(4):We Are Finally Cowboys" , posted Mon 2 Nov 15:25post reply

Seems like No More Heroes 1 & 2 got released on the Switch a couple of days ago, and I didn't even realize it since I've been kinda busy with studies.

Impressions are its based on the original (uncensored) Wii version running at 60fps in HD and not the PS3 port "Heroes Paradise", which apparently had been criticized for being a janky (and not in a good way) port which had things fundamentally broken in it, despite some of the new features it included.

"Re(5):We Are Finally Cowboys" , posted Tue 3 Nov 03:53post reply

quote:
Seems like No More Heroes 1 & 2 got released on the Switch a couple of days ago, and I didn't even realize it since I've been kinda busy with studies.

Impressions are its based on the original (uncensored) Wii version running at 60fps in HD and not the PS3 port "Heroes Paradise", which apparently had been criticized for being a janky (and not in a good way) port which had things fundamentally broken in it, despite some of the new features it included.

I got NMH2 because I had never played it entirely on Wii, and was pleasantly surprised by the 60FPS!

It also allows you to do some waggling if you undock your joycons!

(the game really isn't the same without the jerkoff motion....)

"ATTN MAOU: CHICKEN POLICE" , posted Fri 6 Nov 04:45post reply

I'm not a fan of the way some of the characters look, but the close-ups on the chicken and the eyes make me giggle

Caricature noir isn't quite as good as sincere noir, but this look like a lot of effort was put into carrying the joke as far as they could, and having a framework for deductions, which is great.

"Re(1):ATTN MAOU: CHICKEN POLICE" , posted Fri 6 Nov 06:41post reply

quote:
I'm not a fan of the way some of the characters look, but the close-ups on the chicken and the eyes make me giggle

Caricature noir isn't quite as good as sincere noir, but this look like a lot of effort was put into carrying the joke as far as they could, and having a framework for deductions, which is great.

What?
*watches video *
What?

"Re(2):ATTN MAOU: CHICKEN POLICE" , posted Fri 6 Nov 10:23post reply

quote:

What?
*watches video *
What?

Chicken
Poulice

"Re(6):We Are Finally Hotel Dusk Chickens" , posted Sat 7 Nov 14:35post reply

quote:
Chicken
Poulice
First that Gyakuten Saiban game but with birds instead of people, and now Hotel Dusk 3 but with Kyle Hyde replaced with Kyle Bird?! Looks like some FOWL PLAY (argh) going on around here with the detective game genre.

The Red Crown Company would hereby like to offer a reward for anyone willing to take the job of tracking down the scattered members of Cing and putting them on a new Switch project where they can make tons of money forever like they deserve. Bonus if you find Bradley.
quote:

(the game really isn't the same without the jerkoff motion....)

And on that note, it's always been a waste that the obvious Wii port of Rez never happened, but the Switch might still work! Does this thing have force feedback? I've had this thing for months and still don't know.

"Re(51):We Are Finally Suda 51" , posted Sun 8 Nov 04:21post reply

Goichi Suda's The Silver Case 2425 is finally coming out on Switch in Japan AND in the West.
quote:
And on that note, it's always been a waste that the obvious Wii port of Rez never happened, but the Switch might still work! Does this thing have force feedback? I've had this thing for months and still don't know.

It has something called HD Rumble (haptic feedback), which have no doubt inspired some developers to look into the feature.

Professor
5819th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):ATTN MAOU: CHICKEN POLICE" , posted Sun 8 Nov 14:16post reply

quote:

What?
*watches video *
What?

Oh my lord, everyone's hands!! It's like seeing a tiger with herbivorous teeth!

"Re(3):ATTN MAOU: CHICKEN POLICE" , posted Wed 11 Nov 04:13post reply

quote:

What?
*watches video *
What?

Oh my lord, everyone's hands!! It's like seeing a tiger with herbivorous teeth!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the hands weird!
Those really make it seem like it's just humans wearing animal masks.

"Re(4):Welcome to the rice fields" , posted Sun 15 Nov 09:00post reply

Sakuna is great. The combat is great. The cast is great...

But man is growing rice kicking my ass so much! It's pretty much a rice growing simulator paired up with side scrolling segments that are pretty much Fairy Bloom Freesia's and nature paired with more traversal. Despite being great at combat, making sure the crop is well maintained might actually put this as being more meticulous than any ol' Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons/Rune Factory game out there. Even planting the rice is completely free form and spacing is important.

Professor
5820th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Welcome to the rice fields" , posted Mon 16 Nov 03:58post reply

quote:
Sakuna is great. The combat is great. The cast is great...

But man is growing rice kicking my ass so much! It's pretty much a rice growing simulator paired up with side scrolling segments that are pretty much Fairy Bloom Freesia's and nature paired with more traversal. Despite being great at combat, making sure the crop is well maintained might actually put this as being more meticulous than any ol' Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons/Rune Factory game out there. Even planting the rice is completely free form and spacing is important.

Funny enough story, Japan's ministry of agriculture website is practically being used as reference like a game wiki right now. Lots of other interesting stories too with the game, like how the bulk of it was developed by just two staff and it uses a doujin 3D engine.

The game is certainly top topic right now and I think I'm hearing about it more than the Mario anniv Game & Watch.

"Re(6):Welcome to the rice fields" , posted Mon 16 Nov 07:17post reply

I wanted to try Sakuna, but then Steam had one of these algorithm moments of "maybe you would be interested in that!"
https://store.steampowered.com/app/723890/Dont_Make_Love/

Two mantises are in love. They're afraid that if they finally have sex, the male will die.
Pick the male or the female, and have an interactive dialogue about the nature of trust, love, desire and cannibalism. My headcanon is that it happens inside a rice field, so it's a bit like I'm playing Sakuna too!

Anyway. It's free, it's short, it has arthropods with freaky human hands. Good job Steam algorithm!

"Re(7):Welcome to the rice fields" , posted Tue 17 Nov 12:11post reply

quote:
/Dont_Make_Love/

The conservative Christian video game for decent young members of society!

Sakuna looks rather nice. The action parts look fine but it's actually a fiddly rice simulator? I'm all about that!

I'm not certain I'm all about the trend of animals with human body parts. Is the actual game of Chicken Police decent? I watched a bit of the intro and it came across like it was made by people who had never read a crime novel but had once seen a cartoon that featured several detective genre clichés.

"Re(8):Welcome to the rice fields" , posted Fri 20 Nov 08:57post reply

quote:
I watched a bit of the intro and it came across like it was made by people who had never read a crime novel but had once seen a cartoon that featured several detective genre clichés.

It looks totally tongue-in-cheek silly, so it being a parade of cliches I would kind of expect.

Professor
5822th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Capcom Leak stars" , posted Sat 21 Nov 16:59:post reply

So according to unconfirmed reports, the recent leaks from Capcom has Steet Fighter 6 slated for FY2022/Q3, a Super version on the following year, and Ultra version by 2024. Also worth mentioning is a Final Fight remake and Power Stone remake in 2024. Of course this is to be taken with a grain of salt, but it still would be interesting to see what Rouge would look like in modern graphics!

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 21 Nov 18:23]

"Re(1):Capcom Leak stars" , posted Sat 21 Nov 19:52post reply

On one hand, I'm really sad about what happens at Capcom, because the situation is really bleak there, just when they were becoming a major studio and it's possible the damage might be immense.
On the other hand, all these exciting titles! I want all of them!
On the other other hand, 2024 is such a long time away. Projects get cancelled all the time, and I'm sure some of these projects are just a design document on a piece of paper. Or rather a .txt, since it got encrypted on the server.
Which brings us back to the horrible situation, with people's passports in the property of assholes possibly linked to some crime syndicates, and the Japanese police being notoriously useless with cybercrime means no resolution is in sight until Interpol comes in.
But then again,
quote:
interesting to see what Rouge would look like in modern graphics!

OH MA GAD

GekigangerV
2071th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
CFN: gekijmo

"Re(1):Capcom Leak stars" , posted Sun 22 Nov 04:22post reply

quote:
So according to unconfirmed reports, the recent leaks from Capcom has Steet Fighter 6 slated for FY2022/Q3, a Super version on the following year, and Ultra version by 2024. Also worth mentioning is a Final Fight remake and Power Stone remake in 2024. Of course this is to be taken with a grain of salt, but it still would be interesting to see what Rouge would look like in modern graphics!

The Final Fight remake caught my eye. If I would hazard a guess, I see them doing a "Streets of Rage 4" style game, but to schedule out all the way to 2024? If they have it scheduled I wonder what the reason is to have it so far out.

They can't possibly be thinking of doing something more intricate can they? Another "Streetwise" or more open-world game? A nostalgic, 2D beat-em up probably won't go far in 2024, the 35th anniversary of Final Fight.

"Re(2):Capcom Leak stars" , posted Sun 22 Nov 04:23post reply

The attack and subsequent leak at Capcom is horrible. It's like seeing something awful happen out in the street and not being able to do anything about it. However, if something is happening in the neighborhood you know damn well I'm going to be at the window with my opera glasses trying to get a good look. I'm weak like that.

One of the things I found interesting was that Capcom is making a conscious attempt to tone down the more overt pandering that ran through titles such as SF5. Things got out of control under Ono so this is fine. The characters are attractive and in shape so it's not like the fans need official help from Capcom for fetishizing the cast. There would also be attempts to make certain that any sex appeal in games would be present for all tastes and persuasions. The only way this is going to work is if the team working on the games is properly diverse (and horny) enough to understand these issues but at least there is discussion about levelling the playing field.

There was also a line or two about not leaning in on easy stereotypes when creating or dressing characters. That sounds good but considering that Power Stone's entire thing is having stereotypes bash each other over the head with flower pots I'm not certain how that will work out.

"Re(1):Capcom Leaking All Stars: Code Holder" , posted Tue 24 Nov 00:51post reply

quote:
Also worth mentioning is a Final Fight remake and Power Stone remake in 2024. Of course this is to be taken with a grain of salt, but it still would be interesting to see what Rouge would look like in modern graphics!

This is a monkey's paw waiting to happen, especially with the leaked doc of Capcom wanting to be more progressive with their females.

Then again, the prospect of Jessica, Maki and Lucia tearing up Metro City does sound rather enticing...

Professor
5822th Post

MMCafe Owner

"SUBA SEKA !" , posted Tue 24 Nov 01:14post reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thvqIawz5lc

Holy Cripes. A sequel to Subarashiki Kono Sekai / The World Ends With You is actually coming after all these years. And it's a good 3D take on Shibuya too... and Harajuku!? If the two locations are both going to be in the game, I do wonder how much of the area inbetween will actually be walkable.

To be slightly nitpicky just for fun, the green car in front of the train station is in the trailer but it was taken away in real Shibuya at the start of the year.

"Zelda: Breath of the Colossus" , posted Tue 1 Dec 11:56post reply

quote:
Holy Cripes. A sequel to Subarashiki Kono Sekai / The World Ends With You

What an amazing world, as the title says! I know some people knew it better as an anime than as a game, it's been so long.

Meeeeanwhile, I am finally playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild several years late and very impressed, even if my cooking is even worse than in Dragon's Crown. From the climbing energy gauge, to the random rock monster whose back you climb in the fairy woods, to the hard-to-handle realistic horses you can use to explore beautiful vast lands, I was reminded of Wander and the Colossus, an official Maou PS2 All Time Favorite Game.

Since for some dumb reason I've never really played Zelda games (this is the first non-portable Nintendo console I've had since SFC), I'm really interested to hear if Zelda has taken as huge an influence from Colossus as I think, or if the 3D Zelda games were already doing all this, so they borrowed back from Colossus which in turn was riffing on Zelda. Like, I've heard Colossus described as a sort of inverse/dark response to Zelda, where you're still exploring beautiful lands and trying to rescue a princess figure while riding a horse, except the land is barren and the selfishness of the hero's quest and his growing corruption become increasingly apparent. Which came first, the princess or the colossus?

"Re(1):Zelda: Breath of the Colossus" , posted Wed 2 Dec 11:02post reply

quote:

Meeeeanwhile, I am finally playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild several years late and very impressed, even if my cooking is even worse than in Dragon's Crown. From the climbing energy gauge, to the random rock monster whose back you climb in the fairy woods, to the hard-to-handle realistic horses you can use to explore beautiful vast lands, I was reminded of Wander and the Colossus, an official Maou PS2 All Time Favorite Game.

Since for some dumb reason I've never really played Zelda games (this is the first non-portable Nintendo console I've had since SFC), I'm really interested to hear if Zelda has taken as huge an influence from Colossus as I think, or if the 3D Zelda games were already doing all this, so they borrowed back from Colossus which in turn was riffing on Zelda. Like, I've heard Colossus described as a sort of inverse/dark response to Zelda, where you're still exploring beautiful lands and trying to rescue a princess figure while riding a horse, except the land is barren and the selfishness of the hero's quest and his growing corruption become increasingly apparent. Which came first, the princess or the colossus?

I am so glad to see that our brother Maou is no longer living in sin and has finally seen the light of our Lady and Savior, Goddess Princess Zelda!

Zelda series has been (more or less) doing this free exploration thing since the Famicon era, albeit with the obvious limitations of the age. However, wandering the 64-bits fields of Hyrule while riding your horse was already a pure bliss back in Ocarina of Time. Breath of the Wild just takes it to a whole new level.

The great thing about Breath of the Wild is that, even if you don't enjoy the combat system (which I can understand), or don't like the new physical puzzles and lite dungeons (understandable as well), you can still have a blast just riding a horse and enjoying the views around you. The scenery in this game is so beautiful that the simple act of strolling around without any particular aim is a joy in itself. Now that venturing outdoors has become kind of dangerous, Breath of the Wild can provide some relief for the adventurous souls that are trapped indoors in these dark times of virus-induced confinement.

"Re(2):Zelda: Breath of the Colossus" , posted Sun 6 Dec 03:36:post reply

quote:
The great thing about Breath of the Wild is that, even if you don't enjoy the combat system (which I can understand), or don't like the new physical puzzles and lite dungeons (understandable as well), you can still have a blast just riding a horse and enjoying the views around you. The scenery in this game is so beautiful that the simple act of strolling around without any particular aim is a joy in itself. Now that venturing outdoors has become kind of dangerous, Breath of the Wild can provide some relief for the adventurous souls that are trapped indoors in these dark times of virus-induced confinement.
It's true that where the new Animal Crossing is the perfect pandemic game for seeing people and doing constructive things outdoors during the pandemic, Zelda is the perfect game for wandering aimlessly around and playing outdoors during the pandemic!

Horsebacking riding is great, and I appreciate that it's so hard to ride them at first. As someone who once knew how to ride, I can tell you, however, that 1) the advice to sneak up from behind the horse to hop on their back is dangerous nonsense, and 2) Link must be the most charming guy around to be able to domesticate wild horses so quickly just by patting them, without even offering them carrots! Were past Zelda horses hard to steer, as well, or is this another Colossus influence?

Meanwhile, I used the internet (!) to learn something (!!) and it sounds like this Zelda has indeed taken Colossus' climbing energy gauge, which seems like a fair trade since Colossus is a deconstructed Lonely Zelda. Well, that, and the Divine Beasts are literally Colossus designs, so I guess they felt pretty confident borrowing back.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 7 Dec 14:22]

"RANDOM GAMES: Mondai nai" , posted Tue 8 Dec 04:49post reply

Is it a sign that the horrible period of the last few years is finally over and we can go back to the cheerful mindlessness of 2011, or that the apocalypse is for next year and it's time to call our loved ones and say our good byes?

Either way, the Steam port of El Shaddai is progressing fine.

(As fine as the port of a PS3 game announced nearly 3 years ago).
I hope to Enoch that a new volume of Glass no Kamen won't be announced at the same time.

"Re(1):RANDOM GAMES: Mondai nai" , posted Tue 8 Dec 08:05:post reply

quote:

Didn't Soraya Saga make the character designs for El Shaddai?

[this message was edited by sfried on Tue 8 Dec 08:06]

"Re(2):RANDOM GAMES: Mondai nai" , posted Tue 8 Dec 14:49post reply

quote:

Didn't Soraya Saga make the character designs for El Shaddai?

I don't think so, but with a subtitle like "Ascention of the Metatron," you'd certainly expect her and her Xenogears-creating husband Takahashi to have been involved. Actually, there's some weird thing where the English-speaking internet is always misidentifying her work, to the point she had a notice to this effect on her twitter account at some point. Either way, she is awesome.