PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"SFV Thread Part 6: Season 2 Edition" , posted Tue 20 Dec 11:55post reply

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE!

Yes, it's time for SFV Season 2. Will Gouki finally make Capcom some money to usher in what MUST be the era of Justice Gakuen vs. Street Fighter? Will poor Ibuki finally stand a chance in this new build? Will the online experience evolve from getting routinely destroyed by scrub Kens to getting routinely destroyed by scrub Goukis? Will I ever stop getting sick on Rashid's stupid plane? Share all the answers here.

Useful things

1. CFN, our official source for perplexing information on random characters, and occasional news

2. Boring official page and official blog

3. Legend of Two-P part 1 and part 2, in celebration of his guaranteed** appearance in season 2 (**huge lie)

4. Previous Threads
SFV thread 5
SFV thread 4
SFV thread 3
SFV thread 2
SFV thread 1
Marvelous SF lore thread

5. MMCAFE LAGFEST
MMCafe ID - CFN Fighter ID
Gekiganger V - gekijmo
Gojira - Gojira
Grave - eccothedolphin
Iggy - Iggywata
Ishmael - Ishmael26b
Karasu - MrKarasu
KTallguy - KTallguy
Maou - zonepharaoh
Micky Kusanagi - MickyKusanagi
Mosquiton - ChaosFrame
Red Falcon - Rugalbgood
Tai-Pan - Kusanagi82
Zepy - zepysf

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Replies:

user profileedit/delete message

"Re(1):SF3 Thread Part 6: Coop Cup Edition" , posted Tue 20 Dec 16:06post reply

Fight For the Future of 1999 in 2017!

Cooperation Cup is set to run on January 8th 2017 at Tokyo Leisure Land Palette Town in Koto

The biggest and best and longest-running 3S tournament series continues, with 450 players registered! Representing the dementedly high level of 3S that remains in Japan, it's one to watch.

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(1):SFV Thread Part 6: Season 2 Edition" , posted Tue 20 Dec 21:27post reply

PATCH NOTES

To sum-up a NINTEY-TWO PAGES long PDF to its most important change:
quote:
Background Music Select

In Battle Settings, you’ll now be able to select your preferred music in Training and Versus Modes as well as Casual and Ranked matches.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(2):SFV Thread Part 6: Season 2 Edition" , posted Wed 21 Dec 01:11post reply

Also,

Dearest Maou,

quote:
URIEN
Vitality:
 Increased vitality 1000 to 1025
Jumping LP:
 Expanded the hitbox backwards, and added in cross-up confirm
V-Trigger - Aegis Reflector:
 Increased damage from 10×3 to 20×3
H Metallic Sphere:
 Single version damage has been increased 60 to 70
 Charged version damage has been increased 90 to 100
H Chariot Tackle (Standard/V-Skill):
 Damage has increased 90 to 100
 Increased juggle potential when used in-airborne combo

Kissu kissu,

Iggy

Micky Kusanagi
525th Post

PSN: MickyKusanagi
CFN: MickyKusanagi
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):SFV Thread Part 6: Season 2 Edition" , posted Wed 21 Dec 04:55post reply

Maou your Season 2 preview definitely makes me look forward to some crazy times :D
According to some fan artist, at least one fifth of your Justice Gakuen world domination scheme may come true... but there's also another theory.

Ore no...kachi da!!

"Re(2):SFV Thread Part 6: PDF Edition" , posted Wed 21 Dec 11:46post reply

quote:
NINTEY-TWO PAGES long PDF
At first I saw this and thought, "oh, of course, a PDF, how useful," but then I suddenly realized it felt weird and was wondering why: it's because it felt like I was at work. While this may be the strangest thing ever to come out of a gaming company's PR department, I love how they are allowing people to twink out with pencil-and-paper RPG-level character stats.
quote:
Third Strike in a SFV thread
Spoon why are you trying to hurt me
quote:
イギーの挑戦状/unstoppable strengthening of Urien
Urien's evil new reign has begun. Speaking of which, I am pleased to confirm that you can indeed set music for any mode to be the stage music (correct), your character theme (why would you?), your opponent's character theme (don't be an idiot), or random (eh). You can't just mix and match any given theme to any stage, but I'm hopeful that this still frees me from having to sacrifice my firstborn to Iggy as an act of penance had I been wrong, per our...unusual contract.
quote:
at least one fifth of your Justice Gakuen world domination scheme may come true...
Young apprentice Mickey, you can be my fellow prophet as we fortell the coming of Hinata. While she's not Sakura, she still accomplishes the goal of "short skirt" and "immensely irritating to Iggy," so I see no problem.

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):SFV Thread Part 6: Season 2 Edition" , posted Wed 21 Dec 11:57post reply

quote:
Maou your Season 2 preview definitely makes me look forward to some crazy times :D
According to some fan artist, at least one fifth of your Justice Gakuen world domination scheme may come true... but there's also another theory.

I know I'm not a lucky guy by any stretch of the word but, if from all the characters from Justice Gakuen franchise Capcom ends up bringing back for SFV the only one I can't stand, I'm gonna be really pissed. I'm not even asking for Hideo or Kyoko but, come on... Hinata? Sigh.

A Talking about Japanese History sword in hand
Micky Kusanagi
530th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):SFV Thread Part 6: PDF (and web)Edition" , posted Wed 21 Dec 18:08:post reply

quote:
Young apprentice Mickey, you can be my fellow prophet as we fortell the coming of Hinata. While she's not Sakura, she still accomplishes the goal of "short skirt" and "immensely irritating to Iggy," so I see no problem.

Master, though I'd like Akira way better, I accept your offer. Let's witness the dawn of the Justice Gakuen VS. Street Fighter era together.

As for the monumental changelog, here is a website version. I surely find it more comfortable to browse LOL

Sadly, the tradition of game servers getting fucked up on big updates goes on.

Ore no...kachi da!!

[this message was edited by Micky Kusanagi on Wed 21 Dec 18:21]

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(5):SFV Thread Part 6: Season 2 Edition" , posted Wed 21 Dec 20:17post reply

quote:
I know I'm not a lucky guy by any stretch of the word but, if from all the characters from Justice Gakuen franchise Capcom ends up bringing back for SFV the only one I can't stand, I'm gonna be really pissed. I'm not even asking for Hideo or Kyoko but, come on... Hinata? Sigh.

Don't worry, we all know that Kyoko won't be in SF5 because she will be the main character in MvCI. Look into your heart, you know it's the real answer.

I will only accept Hinata if they also add a SFEX character and it's Garuda, so Maou can feel as miserable as I would be.

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(6):SFV Thread Part 6: Season 2 Edition" , posted Thu 22 Dec 02:33post reply

What's great is that none of these characters will probably make it in but everyone will still be annoyed and frustrated by the actual cast. One way or another we will find our own ways to be entertained by fighting games.

GekigangerV
1962th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
CFN: n/a
Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):SFV Thread Part 6: PDF (and web)Edition" , posted Thu 22 Dec 03:02post reply

quote:

Sadly, the tradition of game servers getting fucked up on big updates goes on.

Yep, got a bunch of "cannot retrieve data" stuff yesterday. And i see a bunch of people are getting the rage quit icon too.

Maybe by season 3 Capcom will have this stuff ironed out and we won't have to have the servers be down the entire day to include new characters.

In other new, there are some new silhouettes on PSN

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0LeRkTVEAALQVj.jpg

One is obviously Helena/Kolin, but the others are not so easily comparable to other SFV story mode characters.

The two on the right are obviously muscular fighters, but aren't quite Azam. Perhaps they will have Azam, but with a different look.

I tried out Akuma a bit by doing his trials, story mode(I don't think his "story" costume is in story mode btw) and easy and normal survival. I have to say I am having some problems doing the whole sequence of canceling an attack into his V-Skill, doing the Kick extension of the V-Skill and then canceling that into demon flip. It seems like that is a great way to deal damage though.

I still cannot get over the design. Clipping of models in general isn't too much of a problem for me. I see it as a thing that just happens in 3D games, but when clipping is part of the characters default stance it kind of gets on my nerves or when it is right in front of you in character select screen. I wish designs kind of worked around it at least. Change character select poses so we don't get stuff like Ken's hair going through his shoulder.

Then we get Akuma's beads are now a strap across his body for no good reason other than to be different.

I wish we got that hooded design that was on CFN a while ago. It was different, but also identifiable as Akuma.

Micky Kusanagi
530th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):SFV Thread Part 6: PDF (and web)Edition" , posted Thu 22 Dec 04:34post reply

I barely fought 2 matches in order to get that tiny amount of FM from today's mission and thank God I didn't get any "failed to retrieve data" error. I read about undeserved ragequitter statuses and I almost dove my face onto the keyboard ^^;

Nice to see new subtle hints at the new characters. I'd never think Helen would actually be a fighter, we know something about her powers through the general story but seeing them implemented in-game is gonna be another story.

Ore no...kachi da!!

New Red Carpet Member

"SFV Season 2 Pass" , posted Fri 23 Dec 11:17post reply

Does anyone know if the Season 2 Character Pass gives buyers a "free" premium outfit for Akuma/Gouki?

The Steam (PC version) store page description for the pass specifically says "Each 2017 character comes with a Premium Battle costume". I don't know if it means only the five characters released in 2017, or if it means all six characters of the "2017" Season Pass. (The page only once refers to the pass as a "2017 Character Pass", but it does once do so.)

Micky Kusanagi
534th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):SFV Season 2 Pass" , posted Fri 23 Dec 17:56post reply

The first pass came with a premium costume for each character, and Gouki is intented to be a 2017 season character, so I'm 99% sure he gets his own premium costume too in the pass.

May any player more advanced than me please tell me what they think about Ken's changes? From my perspective of a very low level player, he got lots of nerfs, but his HK Tatsu and his V-trigger specials were improved, and so is his CA hitbox. Any correction to my observations is welcome.

Ore no...kachi da!!

"Re(1):SFV Season 2 Pass" , posted Fri 23 Dec 19:42post reply

quote:
Does anyone know if the Season 2 Character Pass gives buyers a "free" premium outfit for Akuma/Gouki?
Yes, he has the topless+grey hair+cloth floating above the shoulders that makes him even more like a Buddhist statue.

His scenario costume (the one you can buy with FM) is an ugly thing with radiating energy pulsing out of his body that's as painful to look at as the volcano stage in SF4, and finally you can buy with real money his SF2 look.

Urien's crouching MP (the elbow) doesn't combo into itself anymore... :(

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(2):SFV Season 2 Pass" , posted Sun 25 Dec 12:48:post reply

I have yet to put much time into SFV since the patch, but from the notes I gathered that my character Laura was treated quite well. 5MK foreverrrrrrrr

Regarding the season 2 characters, an interesting thing that's been going around is a certain cover for an upcoming Udon SF comic that has - of all people - Maple Storm on it. Of course it also has Azam and Sagat on there but considering right now she's never been seen anywhere in any SF past or present except her CFN portal profile, it's a very odd choice. Udon does coordinate with Capcom to some degree (Kolin w/ Urien appeared in the Charlie Nash comic long before it was confirmed that she was part of the general story mode) so it's not completely out of left field that they might know something about the upcoming characters.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sun 25 Dec 12:50]

"Re(1):SFV Thread Part 6: Season 2 Edition" , posted Mon 26 Dec 22:12:post reply

I found recently a couple of American players agonizing over Go... I mean, Akuma, and I was surprised to hear them making fun of some of his new animations looking "sooo stupid".
I didn't notice anything during my short time with him, and if there's one thing Capcom artists are amazing at, it's creating great looking personalized animation, so I went back to the game and tried him to understand what these people were talking about.
Then, I saw the issue: it was a cultural one. Since SSF2X, Gouki has slowly transitioned from half-demon looking bad dude to living buddhist statue, and by SF5, the transition is almost complete, to the point a certain amount of his key frames for several normal attacks, not merely his normal stance or super animation, replicate those famous agyō/ungyō poses. So with the correct cultural background, these animations look good, are a natural evolution of the character and express something about him just by their mere presence, which is something the best animations usually do (shameless Vampire plug). However, they looks silly for someone without the cultural keys to understand them.
It's true that SF5's Gouki has gone extremely close to his statue counterpart: the way his wrists bend palm outward in almost all his animations is unnatural for anyone including martial artists, but replicate kongōrikishi's poses to perfection. They even have his animation stilted to the point that he sometimes starts his animation, reaches the exact statue pose, stays there for a couple of frames, and then attack, which emphasizes the point. Unfortunately, an external cultural eye will only see that the animation stuttered, which is quite jarring in a game where everyone has amazingly fluid animation, and even more for the poster boy of season 2 and one of the most popular characters of the franchise.

It made me think about the graphical state of the game in general, and its main issue of animation vs clipping.
I'm starting to think that the animators of the game have probably a tremendous amount of craft in 2D art (after all, you don't work on Street Fighter animation without a long pedigree in this sphere) but lack knowledge, or interest, in the 3D field and how the polygons will express these animation. This could explain one of the biggest mysteries of this game, that the worst amount of clipping is not due to additional costumes, designed without regards for the original animations, or by small case-by-case interaction of special moves, but by the default costume themselves (Birdie's chain, FANG as a whole, and Gouki's mane even though he has been designed several months after the others), and on the select screen, a huge showcase in a 100% controlled situation, reproducible 100% of the time.
There might also be of course outsourcing problems: the issues that Ken has two still bananas hanging from his head, or that Laura's hair seem to have 3 points of articulation at most, are possibly difficult to fix when you're so remote from the people in charge of making the 3D models. But it also makes me think that maybe, some of the animators are old curmudgeons that still want to live in a time when 2D was king and the CPS3 was a worldwide success, and thus disregard on purpose the limitations and needs of 3D models, like they want to say "see? This would never have happened in pixel art!".

Obviously, I do not know if that's the case or who is actually working on the animations, it may just be that the outsourcing have these people working so remotely that they cannot communicate with each other, on top of a tight budget that makes them say "eh, good enough as it is". But the fact the issue keeps happening, and that they even went out of their way to give Gouki's default costume a giant clipping mane (while his default costume looks fine) gives me pause.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Mon 26 Dec 22:17]

PSN: IkariLoona
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):SFV Season 2 Pass" , posted Mon 26 Dec 22:59post reply

quote:

Regarding the season 2 characters, an interesting thing that's been going around is a certain cover for an upcoming Udon SF comic that has - of all people - Maple Storm on it. Of course it also has Azam and Sagat on there but considering right now she's never been seen anywhere in any SF past or present except her CFN portal profile, it's a very odd choice. Udon does coordinate with Capcom to some degree (Kolin w/ Urien appeared in the Charlie Nash comic long before it was confirmed that she was part of the general story mode) so it's not completely out of left field that they might know something about the upcoming characters.

Even more interesting, Udon's free comic book day issue for SF appears to be based on the female wrestling league detailed in the SF portal - there's a lot I've grown to dislike about the Udon SF comics over the years (so much repeated cliche dialog during fights...), but at times they excel at doing what Capcom themselves won't.

...!!
Micky Kusanagi
546th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):SFV Thread Part 6: Season 2 Edition" , posted Tue 27 Dec 04:01post reply

quote:
Iggy's amazing Gouki inspiration analysis

Posts like yours are the reason I'm so fond of the Cafe. I still haven't enough FM to buy Gouki, but as soon as I do, I'll carefully check his animations and I'll enjoy them. Thank you for the insight!!

Ore no...kachi da!!

"Re(3):SFV Thread Part 6: Season 2 Edition" , posted Tue 27 Dec 23:39post reply

quote:
Iggy's amazing Gouki inspiration analysis
Posts like yours are the reason I'm so fond of the Cafe. I still haven't enough FM to buy Gouki, but as soon as I do, I'll carefully check his animations and I'll enjoy them. Thank you for the insight!!

Great write up and great timing. Just yesterday I finally tried out that mighty warrior and Iggy's analysis of his moves helped me appreciate the character even more. Akuma certainly has become more stylized over the years so I'm glad to see Capcom finally went all-in with having one of the headliners striking classical poses instead of moving the antiquity inspirations off onto a side character like Gouken.

But with as great as his stances are I'm still not certain about his hair. It's trying to do several things at once but in the end Akuma looks like a teenage girl who tied up her bangs so she could wash her face. Exfoliating is important but wait until after the fight! At least Akuma's handprints are visible in his fireballs. It's been too long since I saw that visual.

Micky Kusanagi
548th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):SFV Thread Part 6: Season 2 Edition" , posted Wed 28 Dec 00:10:post reply

quote:
At least Akuma's handprints are visible in his fireballs. It's been too long since I saw that visual.

...really?? I've been missing handprint-endowed projectiles so much. Between Capcom's amazing artistic feat that Gouki's SFV animation is and Kyo's flame-engulfing MAX Orochinagi in KOF14 1.10, we're getting some heartwarming throwbacks in the latest fighters.
But the highlight of your post is the picture you linked. Associating it with Gouki's SFV default look is just too hilarious for words

Ore no...kachi da!!

[this message was edited by Micky Kusanagi on Wed 28 Dec 02:07]

Professor
5061th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):SFV Thread Part 6: Season 2 Edition" , posted Wed 28 Dec 03:07post reply

That's quite a nice writeup, Iggy!

I'd like to add that even if it isn't a case of 2D pixel artists not following through with the 3D era, it can still be a case where handdrawing artists ended up making designs that look good on paper but not in 3D.

"Re(1):SFV Thread Part 6: Mecha Gouki Edition" , posted Thu 29 Dec 04:27:post reply

quote:
evolve from getting routinely destroyed by scrub Kens to getting routinely destroyed by scrub Goukis
Ah, that didn't take long. I was all set to complain about how perplexing it is that Kobayashi's trailer music for the Gouki stage is replaced by a lame tune with this awful WUB-WUB-WUB dub-step thing in round 2 which only an X-treme Gouki fan could find cool, but...the stage is really great, the rain reminds me of a good Soul Calibur level, and somehow I didn't notice the weak music as much then.

Prof and Ishmael made me laugh with the exfoliating dog donut motif, but Iggy may have redeemed at least his animations, which I think are a true high point for all characters, even for people who don't like the character art.

EDIT: More importantly, we now have Mecha Gouki, laying to rest any questions about who comes out ahead in the PC vs. PS4 choice.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 29 Dec 11:37]

"Re(5):SFV Thread Part 6: Season 2 Edition" , posted Fri 30 Dec 01:53post reply

quote:
At least Akuma's handprints are visible in his fireballs. It's been too long since I saw that visual.

...really?? I've been missing handprint-endowed projectiles so much. Between Capcom's amazing artistic feat that Gouki's SFV animation is and Kyo's flame-engulfing MAX Orochinagi in KOF14 1.10, we're getting some heartwarming throwbacks in the latest fighters.

Correction on my part: The hands of Ryu and Ken are in their SF5 fireballs, I just never noticed them before.

In the past few days I've spent some time playing against the CPU and once again I've been reminded that it really is a fun game full of nice little touches. As the old lament goes, if Capcom had just included a game with SF5 it would have been really good.