Re-Bout #1
Re-Bout #2
Re-Bout #3
Persona 4 Arena
SNK (#8)
Dimps & Rumblefish

Well, that was unexpected.

quote:
Developed by members of the team responsible for King of Fighters, Yatagarasu is a 2D fighting game headed for the Nintendo 3DS by Nicalis! Intense 2D action! Playable at PAX Prime 2012!

I remember positive feedback about the doujin version, but maybe the praise was specifically aiming at the spritework.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Fri 24 Aug 18:17]

Replies:

Nekros
481th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 4 Ultimate" , posted Fri 24 Aug 19:26post reply

quote:
Re-Bout #1
Re-Bout #2
Re-Bout #3
Persona 4 Arena
SNK (#8)
Dimps & Rumblefish

Well, that was unexpected.

Developed by members of the team responsible for King of Fighters, Yatagarasu is a 2D fighting game headed for the Nintendo 3DS by Nicalis! Intense 2D action! Playable at PAX Prime 2012!
I remember positive feedback about the doujin version, but maybe the praise was specifically aiming at the spritework.

I remember it too, but I checked only the beta. Graphically was impressive at time, nowadays it's still good but overall it remindend me some "second class" product like Breakers or Martial Masters.
That's a good surprise for a Nintendo console, hope we'll get that nazi-themed fighter one day.

Zepy
1593th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 4 Ultimate" , posted Fri 24 Aug 21:10post reply

Did nobody warn them that fighting games do not sell on handhelds at all!?

Also the press release seems to say that Umezono was a game designer for KOF but I remember him only being credited as a game tester in one of the games. Does anyone know if he actually worked on any KOF?

sibarraz
459th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 4 Ultimate" , posted Fri 24 Aug 22:14post reply

quote:
Did nobody warn them that fighting games do not sell on handhelds at all!?

Also the press release seems to say that Umezono was a game designer for KOF but I remember him only being credited as a game tester in one of the games. Does anyone know if he actually worked on any KOF?

If I'm not wrong he was the designer of K' and Maxima, which had some resemble (or a lot) to cool and the other guy on Daraku Tenshi (And you can see the resemblance of this game in yatagarasu a bit IMO)

Zepy
1594th Post

"Re(3):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 4 Ultimate" , posted Fri 24 Aug 23:04post reply

quote:
If I'm not wrong he was the designer of K' and Maxima, which had some resemble (or a lot) to cool and the other guy on Daraku Tenshi (And you can see the resemblance of this game in yatagarasu a bit IMO)

Oh that's Kotani Tomoyuki actually, he does the art and sprites for Yatagarasu, and he's a real SNK man who did a whole lot of art stuff including some sprite art for MOTW and Last Blade. Also did art on Cave games.

Umezono on the other hand... he's well known in the fighting game community but I couldn't find if he has ever done anything with SNK aside from that game tester job for that one kof.

Iggy
9371th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 4 Ultimate" , posted Sat 25 Aug 02:54post reply

Slightly related: how much does it cost to hire a random Japanese girl and have her sing some stupid song?
I know Japan does that for absolutely everything, from dating sims to Final Fantasies, but half-doujin downloadable fighting game on a handheld get one, too?
Are Japanese girls that cheap?

Toxico
5700th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(5):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 4 Ultimate" , posted Sat 25 Aug 03:36post reply

quote:
Slightly related: how much does it cost to hire a random Japanese girl and have her sing some stupid song?

It really depends on how long of a trajectory she has (feel free to phrase that in a kinky way). If she is amateur, then it's surprisingly cheap, also do notice that many low budgets things try to hire newcomers, as without previous good credentials they can't charge that hard.

That's part of the reason of why it's almost impossible to hear 80/90s veteran VAs in nowdays anime.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 24 as of 15/06/12

Zepy
1595th Post

"Re(5):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 4 Ultimate" , posted Sat 25 Aug 04:58post reply

quote:
I know Japan does that for absolutely everything, from dating sims to Final Fantasies, but half-doujin downloadable fighting game on a handheld get one, too?

It's doujin music and they didn't hire anyone professional so the rate depends but the total cost usually doesn't go above 100,000 yen as far as I know. In this case they grabbed a singer from nico douga so I'm guessing they didn't pay too much.

There have been cases where singers/composers get convinced to do it for free and bear the cost of studio rental & mixing etc on their own. In exchange for fame to sing for a famous doujin game or something like that.

There are also people with professional experience that will give discounts for doujin projects (where professional experience means they worked on various lesser known project).

Iggy
9372th Post

"Re(6):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 4 Ultimate" , posted Sat 25 Aug 06:37post reply

Thanks for the details, I understand I phrased my question incorrectly.

What I meant is: except when it's free, is it really cheaper to have a human being-or-close-enough sing a song for your trailer than an actual good song that catches potential customer's attention?
Or do potential customers actually look forward to hearing that kind of thing, and that make them want to buy the game? Am I that out of touch with the genre?

sibarraz
460th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 4 Ultimate" , posted Sun 26 Aug 11:13post reply

quote:

Oh that's Kotani Tomoyuki actually, he does the art and sprites for Yatagarasu, and he's a real SNK man who did a whole lot of art stuff including some sprite art for MOTW and Last Blade. Also did art on Cave games.

Umezono on the other hand... he's well known in the fighting game community but I couldn't find if he has ever done anything with SNK aside from that game tester job for that one kof.

Which KOF, for the way that you worded it, is either 2001, 2003 or XII

theredknight
359th Post

PSN: yes
XBL: no
Wii: no

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 4 Ultimate" , posted Sun 26 Aug 21:11post reply

quote:

Graphically was impressive at time, nowadays it's still good but overall it remindend me some "second class" product like Breakers or Martial Masters.

After just trying out Yatagarasu 4 I can assure you that Breakers is a godly masterpiece compared to this.

Waw!? And now what's going on!? Toh Shin Den is about to present to you a super hot virtual battle like one that you've never seen before at a rate of 90000 polygons per second!

Zepy
1596th Post

"Re(5):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 4 Ultimate" , posted Sun 26 Aug 23:15post reply

quote:
What I meant is: except when it's free, is it really cheaper to have a human being-or-close-enough sing a song for your trailer than an actual good song that catches potential customer's attention?
Or do potential customers actually look forward to hearing that kind of thing, and that make them want to buy the game? Am I that out of touch with the genre?

That is one of the greatest mysteries of the universe that might never be solved

quote:
Which KOF, for the way that you worded it, is either 2001, 2003 or XII

2002 actually! Rumour at the time was that his feedback was the reason why Choi was overpowered so good that year.

Also I rechecked the credits and seems he was also credited as "Planner" in 2002, which might actually mean he did real work.

Baines
329th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 4 Ultimate" , posted Mon 27 Aug 02:16post reply

quote:

By "good song", do you mean "license an existing song", or do you just mean "make a catchy new non-vocal song that might pull double duty as part of your game's background music, and thus is technically not really an added cost"?

If you mean "license an existing song," do you mean only for the trailer, or will it be in the game itself as well?

If by "license an existing song," do you mean "swipe an existing song and hope the music company doesn't catch you or demand money or Youtube/whatever pulls the audio from your video before your promotion period is over"?

All of the above have varying costs.

And in the end, it may not really matter if one option doesn't compare to the others, as marketing and creation are partly about perception. Even if people don't look forward to hearing that kind of thing, they may *expect* to hear it, and its absence might color their thinking. Or it could be that the creators themselves expect it. Or maybe they just really want to do it, because everyone else that they like does it.

Ishmael
4436th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(8):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 4 Ultimate" , posted Mon 27 Aug 04:14post reply

quote:
And in the end, it may not really matter if one option doesn't compare to the others, as marketing and creation are partly about perception. Even if people don't look forward to hearing that kind of thing, they may *expect* to hear it, and its absence might color their thinking. Or it could be that the creators themselves expect it. Or maybe they just really want to do it, because everyone else that they like does it.

I thought what people wanted out of a game was oppai mouse pads and phone cards with art that features the heroines in various compromising positions.

sfried
797th Post

PSN: My3DSFriendCode
XBL: isdownbellow
Wii: 279306128909

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(9):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Special" , posted Mon 27 Aug 13:46post reply

I read the topic as is.

Anyways Real Bout Fatal Fury Special is now available of VC so I downloaded it. What's the best way to learn the ins-and-outs of this game? Command intputs seem smoother than FF3's.

Ishmael
4437th Post

"Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Special" , posted Tue 28 Aug 06:37post reply

quote:
I read the topic as is.

Anyways Real Bout Fatal Fury Special is now available of VC so I downloaded it. What's the best way to learn the ins-and-outs of this game? Command intputs seem smoother than FF3's.

Back in the day there was an FAQ for the game written by Howlin' Mad Henry A. Moriarty. Whatever happened to that guy?

GekigangerV
1775th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"SFxT Vita cases" , posted Thu 30 Aug 13:46post reply

Link Here

Saw this tonight and my first thought was that they looked more like women's wallets than a game case.

In other news

Some in game shots of Tekken guess artist costumes

I don't think that Simon Bisley Heihachi transferred as well as I hoped.

Ishmael
4438th Post

"Re(1):SFxT Vita cases" , posted Fri 31 Aug 00:15post reply

quote:
Some in game shots of Tekken guess artist costumes

I don't think that Simon Bisley Heihachi transferred as well as I hoped.

Lili's new dress, however, looks great. I like that fighters have somehow become one of the best places in games to see flowing hair and fabric that moves with a feeling of weight. Those other games can keep their bald space marines and rubble, only fighting games are so dedicated to such refined touches.

GekigangerV
1778th Post

"Noritaka Funamizu's new game" , posted Fri 31 Aug 13:25:post reply

So old school Capcom producer Noritaka Funamizu [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noritaka_Funamizu]who was involved in a lot of stuff from Gunsmoke up to DMC2 appears to be releasing an Android game (I thought this would be better for the fighting game thread than the mobile thread.)

Its called Combo Kimaaru. Free to play, pay for items. Region locked to Japan. I can't seem to find any videos about it. I am interested in how it plays.

quote:

Lili's new dress, however, looks great. I like that fighters have somehow become one of the best places in games to see flowing hair and fabric that moves with a feeling of weight. Those other games can keep their bald space marines and rubble, only fighting games are so dedicated to such refined touches.

Wow, that animates pretty damn well and now that you mention it, you are right about fighting games putting in a bit more effort for clothing.

I think the only other games where I have seen detail that impressed me was the PC version of the Batman games for the cape and the hair in the new Alice game.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Fri 31 Aug 13:27]

Professor
3569th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Spe" , posted Sat 1 Sep 04:27post reply

quote:
Back in the day there was an FAQ for the game written by Howlin' Mad Henry A. Moriarty. Whatever happened to that guy?

OH MY CAR! Who's that? I have nooo idea

quote:
Its called Combo Kimaaru. Free to play, pay for items. Region locked to Japan. I can't seem to find any videos about it. I am interested in how it plays.

Wow, this looks so old school! I wonder how many users will actually pay for items....

Ishmael
4444th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Spe" , posted Tue 11 Sep 02:54post reply

Gina Carano confirmed for DoA5. Laughably stilted and awkward cutscenes also confirmed.

KTallguy
1424th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Spe" , posted Tue 11 Sep 06:12post reply

"What's that, did you get in a fight?"

*Slams opponent into the ground and cracks their spine*

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Just a Person
1527th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Spe" , posted Tue 11 Sep 07:31post reply

quote:
Gina Carano confirmed for DoA5. Laughably stilted and awkward cutscenes also confirmed.

Wow, a DOA girl who looks tomboy-ish and actually dresses like a fighter?? That's new!

I like this girl, she looks promising.

Now Team Ninja probably has few announcements to make and trailers to present before the game is released... I just hope Leon makes it (I'm reading in many forums that Team Ninja implied that he won't return for DOA5... if that's true, this sucks; it's not like it's a game series with lots of characters for the developers to discard some of them, I mean, Tekken has over 40 characters and since Tekken 4 no one has ever left the roster).

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Gojira
2872th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(5):Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Spe" , posted Tue 11 Sep 09:06post reply

Wow, I'm impressed.

She's a waitress in a DOA game and they actually RESISTED giving her a stupid frilly apron dress thing. I didn't know such people existed in Japan.

GekigangerV
1785th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Spe" , posted Tue 11 Sep 11:25post reply

quote:
Wow, I'm impressed.

She's a waitress in a DOA game and they actually RESISTED giving her a stupid frilly apron dress thing. I didn't know such people existed in Japan.

Perhaps this is what we get when Itagaki isn't involved in the game.

From the limited gameplay, the new character looks alright. I want to see how her throw game is like though.

I think I said on the P4A thread that that would be my last fighting game of the gen. But I decided to get both TTT2 and DoA5 (because of the VF characters). I hope i can stick with both of them for at least 4 solid months each.

Loona
625th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Spe" , posted Tue 11 Sep 18:29post reply

quote:

I think it was DoA4 that had a scene with Lei Fang and Hitomi fighting over a cabbage? I'll take my steps forward where I can get them...

quote:

Wow, a DOA girl who looks tomboy-ish and actually dresses like a fighter?? That's new!

I like this girl, she looks promising.

She gives me the the same kind of gounded plausible vibe Tina did in DoA1 before she became blonde and flashy with her outfits, it's almost like a passing of the torch, DoA kinda needed someone like that again.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Toxico
5711th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(6):Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Spe" , posted Tue 11 Sep 23:29post reply

quote:
She's a waitress in a DOA game and they actually RESISTED giving her a stupid frilly apron dress thing.

Isn't the whole series universally known by it's love for unlockable costumes?

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

Ishmael
4446th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Spe" , posted Tue 11 Sep 23:52post reply

Pictures of Mila and her highlights have popped up online. There is also a new video that shows off Mila's moves a bit more and also shows that Tina has no problem with killing hundreds of innocent people who happened to get in her way.

KTallguy
1426th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Spe" , posted Wed 12 Sep 01:00post reply

I had way too much fun with the DOA5 demo than I should have. Love the stage stuff.

The sad thing is that even though I love how Tekken looks, I could never get into the gameplay. It's sad because they have an awesome stat tracking site that you can register for and use just like Japan's arcades, it seems. Very smart infrastructure. Makes me wish the game I'm working on had that kind of thing.

Loona
626th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Spe" , posted Wed 12 Sep 19:24post reply

quote:
There is also a new video that shows off Mila's moves a bit more and also shows that Tina has no problem with killing hundreds of innocent people who happened to get in her way.

Either I haven't played enough 3D fighting games, or Mila is the first character I've seen in a fighting game holding an opponent on the ground to knee them in the kidneys (but the sitting on their chest to punch them repeatedly in the face is also appreciated, even if it's more of a staple of bigger male characters) - after all the ninjas and performers in the series, it's nice to see something a little less flashy and more pragmatic from the new girl.
I really like where this game is going.

KTallguy
1429th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Spe" , posted Thu 13 Sep 02:26post reply

VF5 Vanessa has a bunch of those ground and pound and submission moves, actually. She doesn't have the knee to the ribs, though. What about Rumble Roses?

Just a Person
1530th Post

"Final characters announced for DOA5" , posted Thu 13 Sep 04:15post reply

Pai Chan (from the Virtua Fighter series) and Gen Fu

Pai's face looks quite... different comparing to VF. Not sure if she looks better or worse, but she definitely looks different. Gen Fu looks exactly like he always does (except no tiger stripes in his clothes this time).

So apparently this is the final cast for DOA5. I like it. I wish Leon was in it, though, but apparently the producers said that he wasn't popular enough with most players.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Iggy
9376th Post

"Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Thu 13 Sep 09:11:post reply

That Jojo game looks great! Exclamation mark!

The system looks surprisingly like a fighting game system! I'm suddenly tempted to believe it might end up more than just a fan item...
There's chain combo and stand rush like in the Capcom game, Roman Cancels (called Puttsun Cancel to reference a famous quote of Jôtarô agains Dio), a style button that does different things according to the character's fighting style (Jôtarô calls his stand, Joseph uses Hamon) and the parry involve extreme vogueing (the command is guard at the last moment, like just defence, but it consumes guard gauge, prevents chip damage, and give extra frames to counter attack).
Some characters also have an extra jauge for their own system, like Joseph whose power grows each time he lands a counter move. Each character has two supers, which is also good news.
Oh, and the provocation lowers the opponent's special gauge, like in AoF ! Apparently, using the provocation immediately after having downed the opponent makes a special animation with close up, meaning it will be REQUIRED to play in-character most of the cast.

The only thing that resembles a CC2-like gimmick are the stage gimmicks. Not sure if that's interesting, but at least it's faithful to the original places in the manga.

I'm also quite relieved by the choice of characters announced. We have 3 characters from part 3 without counting Dio yet, and Mista who is cool but not very high on the list of "must appear in the crossover", even though they haven't shown anyone from parts 4 and 6 (and 1 and 8, but nobody cares about those). That probably means the cast might end up as big as we were promised, with maybe 4 characters for certain parts, maybe even more...? I just hope they'll maintain a healthy balance between heroes and enemies.

And really different characters on top of that : Giorno having Gold Experience evolving into Gold Experience Requiem should mean we won't have too many clones.
I'm excited. That's two games to look forward to at the TGS, along with Gyakuten Layton... The situation is slowly improving!

[this message was edited by Iggy on Thu 13 Sep 18:54]

Burning Ranger
1716th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(10):Fighter Musings Real Bout FF Special" , posted Thu 13 Sep 11:14post reply

quote:
I read the topic as is.

Best game in the Fatal Fury series, IMHO (I have the Saturn and PS2 versions). I really wish SNK would get their act together and make a sequel or a reboot... Still waiting for KOF2012...

So much to do so little time...

Ishmael
4449th Post

"Re(1):Final characters announced for DOA5" , posted Fri 14 Sep 23:28post reply

quote:
Pai Chan (from the Virtua Fighter series) and Gen Fu

Pai's face looks quite... different comparing to VF. Not sure if she looks better or worse, but she definitely looks different. Gen Fu looks exactly like he always does (except no tiger stripes in his clothes this time).

Really? Pai looks the same as she always does to me. Seriously though, I think that they have done a really good job of capturing the slightly more angular look of the faces of the VF characters. I would like to see Pai interact with some of the female cast since I suspect the differences between her and the DoA characters would then be far more noticeable.

karasu99
991th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Final characters announced for DOA5" , posted Sat 15 Sep 00:33post reply

quote:
same as she always does to me. Seriously though, I think that they have done a really good job of capturing the slightly more angular look of the faces of the VF characters. I would like to see Pai interact with some of the female cast since I suspect the differences between her and the DoA characters would then be far more noticeable.

My impression is that the character model was the same, even. I'm not sure why they would create entirely new assets unless they absolutely had to. I could be wrong through!

I'm trying to deliberately keep myself from getting excited over DOA5, especially since I've already got quite a lot o TTT2 to chew on at the moment. Still, for someday when I actually do play it, I hope it feels more like DOA2 than 3 and 4 did.

www.secret-arts.com

Just a Person
1532th Post

"Re(3):Final characters announced for DOA5" , posted Sat 15 Sep 05:11post reply

Though I still find Pai's face strange in these pictures, she does look much better in her video against Gen Fu.

I guess if Team Ninja still has any other announcements for this year's Tokyo Game Show or something that they didn't reveal yet. Alpha-152 probably won't be officially announced until the game release (even though she already appeared in a previous trailer).

Nekros
486th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Final characters announced for DOA5" , posted Sun 16 Sep 18:40post reply

quote:

My impression is that the character model was the same, even. I'm not sure why they would create entirely new assets unless they absolutely had to. I could be wrong through!

Same model with different render. Dunno why.

On a side note: Namco Bandai registered "All-star Battle" trademark for the US... JoJo incoming?
Also, I like to see a certain X-Zone trademark at least for the western market.

Iggy
9385th Post

"Re(1):Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Thu 20 Sep 21:03post reply

Voice actors announced for Jojo! Unfortunately, none of the Capcom game remains, and they all look like big names hired for the sake of it without real care for the character they're playing...
Someone nicely added a fighting game characters these VA have played recently, so we can have a better idea of how they'll sound when they'll get repeatedly oraora-ed into oblivion.

Jôtarô : 小野大輔→Fuerte (SF4) [OUCH]
Joseph : 杉田智和→Ragna (BLAZBLUE)
Jolyne : 沢城みゆき→Cammy (SF4)
Whamu : 大塚明夫→Seth (SF4) SNAAAAAAAKE
Jôsuke : 羽多野渉→Rufus (SF4)
Giorno : 浪川大助→The main character (P4U)

My biggest issue is with Jôtarô... I hope it's not going to much of a gap, and we'll be able to get used to it... Well, with a big enough casting I'll probably never play him anyway. I hope we don't get Koyasu for Dio...

Also, crappy video with someone who doesn't know what he's doing:
At least we can see the animation better.
I like the comic inserts that warns that the car is coming... and the onomatopoeia everywhere...
I want... so.... very... bad...

Zepy
1601th Post

"Re(2):Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Thu 20 Sep 22:40post reply

The playable build at TGS was only 10% complete so some of the stuff I say now might change

- Gameplay is mostly on a 2D plane
- there's a button to press to dodge on the Y axis
- special moves use qcf and dp motions like normal fighting games
- Jumps were really floaty and seems jump attcks have long active frames
- Gyro's balls drop to the ground after hitting the opponent and will return after a few seconds and it can hit again on the way back
- Gyro can charge the spin on his balls to increase the damage on all his ball attacks
- Pressing the stand button will make Gyro ride his horse
- Can't be grabbed/thrown when on a horse
- His horse has its own set of normals

Just realised I should have tested if Jotaro's time stop is blockable, damn.

Iggy
9386th Post

"Re(3):Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Fri 21 Sep 02:20post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EzGw41Z62c

I don't like the voices, but I like everything else... I'm eager to see the stance of everyone for their stylish parry.

Nekros
506th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Fri 21 Sep 23:14post reply

quote:

Is it only to dodge or you can change plane like in GD or Guardian Heroes?

Iggy
9388th Post

"Re(4):Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Sat 22 Sep 00:39post reply

quote:

It's like pressing both kicks in Justice Gakuen, if you remember:
KK (or X for Jojo) little hop towards the background.
down KK (down X for Jojo) little hop towards the foreground.

Nekros
507th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Sat 22 Sep 21:29post reply

quote:

It's like pressing both kicks in Justice Gakuen, if you remember:
KK (or X for Jojo) little hop towards the background.
down KK (down X for Jojo) little hop towards the foreground.

Got it. Didn't think about that because ASB is not a Capcom game.

KTallguy
1431th Post

"Re(6):Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Sun 23 Sep 07:12post reply

This looks... good?? I like the art direction and the comic inserts and the way stands are presented in the game.

Localizing those comic onomonopia is gonna be a bitch :P

Ishmael
4459th Post

"Re(7):Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Thu 27 Sep 23:33post reply

For some reason every game I want to play came out on Tuesday. So while most of my free time is now going to be spent eating animals on the streets of Tokyo I did manage to put a little time in with DOA5. Here are a few random thoughts:

I can live without endings but the lack of a boss in arcade mode feels unnatural. All you do is slug it out with a designated number of people until it simply stops. Where's the crescendo?

The boss and ending resources must have gone into the goofball story mode. Most of the story -such as it is- is knowingly silly. Ayane having to spar with Hitomi in the middle of a jungle just so that stage could be used was an early highlight. It only takes a turn from inoffensively bad to bad when it tries to play it seriously. There was a bit where Kasumi and Helena tried to spit out some important dialogue even though nobody in the scene was wearing pants. It was clunky, embarrassing, and felt like it went on forever.

But even with all that I still like this story mode far more than MK9 or TTT2. First, you can fast forward through the cinema scenes. I might have bothered to finish the story mode in MK9 if I had the option to skip the story. Second, the tutorial sections in the story mode are bonuses, not requirements. It's no big deal if the CPU won't get hit by your counter-punch or whatever, you can keep going and come back to it later.

Even with the tutorial/story mode I'm still not certain I know how to use counters and all the other moves during a match. I should check to see if there is any high level gameplay posted online. Somebody out there has to be crazy enough to specialize in this series.

Finally, the voice option won't stay on Japanese and keeps reverting to English. This pisses me off to an unreasonable degree.

Just a Person
1534th Post

"Re(8):Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Wed 3 Oct 06:09post reply

Yeah, I read comments (haven't played the game yet to give my opinions) that the Story Mode in DOA5 is kinda lame. Pity; had Team Ninja dedicated themselves a little harder in this mode, the game could be taken more seriously by the fighting game community.

Nevertheless, is the gameplay fun enough to keep a player interested in it? Have you tried to play against other players online?

From the videos I'm seeing, it looks like a nice game, even if it isn't on TTT2's level. I still think the developers shouldn't have cut Leon off, though; Dead or Alive doesn't have enough characters to justify old characters being left off (sure, Virtua Fighter has even less characters, but that is justified by the seriousness and complexity in each one's gameplay)...

Loona
632th Post

"Re(9):Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Wed 3 Oct 20:38post reply

quote:
Yeah, I read comments (haven't played the game yet to give my opinions) that the Story Mode in DOA5 is kinda lame. Pity; had Team Ninja dedicated themselves a little harder in this mode, the game could be taken more seriously by the fighting game community.

It's a mixed bag - if you care about things like canon tournament placements, they actually put thought into that, there are some fun and well made scenes there (Brad+Eliot and Bass+Tina come to mind), but the whole clone and ninja plots that the series tends to focus on drag it down, mostly due to delivery, more so than some other poorly-justified fights along the way

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Such as how early game Rig is amnesiac but late in the story he's clearly allied with Donovan, being his kid and all, with no transition between these states, and how every early appearance of Kasumi actually seems to be a clone, even if it distances her as a ninja from her typically colorful outfit.

End of Spoiler

quote:

Nevertheless, is the gameplay fun enough to keep a player interested in it? Have you tried to play against other players online?

I'm enjoying it so far, though there are still subtleties I'm still getting to grips with - a game where everyone basically has "Geese counters" with simpler commands creates some interesting situations, though the game can be a bit fast to make full use of that if you're not fully used to the system.
For the most part, online has worked out well for me, with only one match actually being unplayably slow - and that was from a Throwdown challenge I accepted, a single-round fight too, so I gues the guy that issued it was having problems often enough to try and experiment with a shorter match duration.
I'm kinda annoyed that if you're in training mode and using the Command Training mode and accept a challenge, when you retun from the online fight you have to start over, which is annoying when move lists there tend to be in the 100 range - so far I've only completed Mila's, whose command training only requests 60+ moves (but commad training doesn't make you use every move a character has though).
I was a bit puzzled on how to invite friends for a match, and apparently the only way is to create a lobby, after messing around with the online options a bit. It's a bit annoying that's I've found no way to add someone from your friends list directly to the in-game fighter list though, I think those need to be fought first outside of a lobby mode, from what I've seen of the menus so far.

quote:

From the videos I'm seeing, it looks like a nice game, even if it isn't on TTT2's level. I still think the developers shouldn't have cut Leon off, though; Dead or Alive doesn't have enough characters to justify old characters being left off (sure, Virtua Fighter has even less characters, but that is justified by the seriousness and complexity in each one's gameplay)...

What I've read was that Leon was too similar to Bayman, and in terms of plot and cast diversity, Bayman was apparently the safer and classic choice. Ein gets requested a lot for a return, and there's an odd incident with Hayate late in the Story mode that may justify that later on, who knows.

Overall, liking with I see - I was hoping to focus on Mila (it's nice for once to see a fighting game character being depicted actually training in plausible ways and clothes for most of her appearances, instead of just having that frequently referenced), but with the titles needng to be unlocked to eventually unlock Alpha-152, I may need to mess around with more of the cast - and return to those Story mode challenges I was able to complete (I first tried not to advance untill I finished them, but after Leifang's of needing to use a special counter for kicks on a character initially desgned to be a boxer, I became more lax about it).

Ishmael
4462th Post

"Re(10):Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Thu 4 Oct 02:30post reply

quote:

I've only had the time to try out a few fights online. Of those, a couple had a good connection, a couple stuttered due to lag and one froze the game altogether. Yay!
quote:
I'm enjoying it so far, though there are still subtleties I'm still getting to grips with - a game where everyone basically has "Geese counters" with simpler commands creates some interesting situations, though the game can be a bit fast to make full use of that if you're not fully used to the system.

I don't totally understand the power blow system and all that so I have yet to fully figure out how the game engine works. However, when I playing last night I began to wonder about how DoA actually works.

(Note: This is the first time I've thought about how to properly play DoA so someone please correct me if I'm missing anything.) Is any point in a match where you can be safe and in control? There are juggles but those aren't as insane as in something like Tekken. Instead, the best way to deal damage seems to involve keeping your opponent grounded. That, however, opens you up to having a hold counter your attack. Is there a way to attack that will still keep you safe? In most every other fighting game there are points where you can deal guaranteed damage through a combo, juggle or whatever. With DoA, however, I feel like I'm in constant danger through almost the entire match. Is there something I'm missing or is the bulk of the game built around constantly trying to make the correct read?

Loona
633th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Style button and vogueing defenc" , posted Thu 4 Oct 03:30post reply

quote:

I don't totally understand the power blow system and all that so I have yet to fully figure out how the game engine works.

Power blows are the simpler ones - when your life is under 50% your life bar flashes red and you get access to that move, but only once (once you land it your life bar no longer flashes). It's the move that changes the camera momentarily to let you quickly pick where you want to knock your victim into, sometimes for some major effects in the stage. When selecting the character, the command is visible, it's usually something like back + strong punch(P+K)

The one I'm yet to wrap my head around is the critical burst, which also has its command listed in the same cicumstances (though I think some character have more than one move with that property, which is marked in their movelist, section Unique Blows) - I think that one disables an opponent's ability to use holds from a stun state, in effect garanteeing a combo opportunity or a power blow (which is tricky to land on its own, being kinda slow to come out). Then again, I could be confusing that with the critical stun - I think one of those involves landing some previous moves to ensure it works.

In any case, the fact that the game doesn't act like a character loses the ability to use his limbs while hit at least makes the game less passive again an opponent who knows his combos inside out, the focus seems like it's supposed to gravitate towards well-placed individual moves and short combos of mixed heights, at least on the strikes end of things. Still, the game does have an earnable title of landing 100 10-hit combos, though I think those really require launching (possibly from a counter strike) and juggling.

One other thing the game does that not enough do in the genre is provide some info on what each character's good at, even if it's only in the character select screen when the cursor's on the character icon, yet the character model hasn't loaded yet.
Knowing character so-and-so is supposed to be good at throws or fast can rely on more than cliches about size or sex, or reading about that online in advance, for once - it would be best to have it on screen in a more permanent way while selecting, but at least it's there.

Just a Person
1535th Post

"Re(10):Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Fri 5 Oct 02:00post reply

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

quote:
What I've read was that Leon was too similar to Bayman, and in terms of plot and cast diversity, Bayman was apparently the safer and classic choice. Ein gets requested a lot for a return, and there's an odd incident with Hayate late in the Story mode that may justify that later on, who knows

Yeah, I get that. Still, like I said, it's not like if Dead or Alive had so many characters that it would be impossible to program them all in time. And anyway, even though both of them fight the same style, their gameplay and strategies were quite different (and it's not like if Team Ninja couldn't try to differentiate them more in DoA5... I mean, they had a seven-year gap between DoA4 and 5, didn't they?)...

Loona
636th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Style button and vogueing defenc" , posted Fri 5 Oct 11:37post reply

quote:

I don't totally understand the power blow system and all that so I have yet to fully figure out how the game engine works.

Power blows are the simpler ones - when your life is under 50% your life bar flashes red and you get access to that move, but only once (once you land it your life bar no longer flashes). It's the move that changes the camera momentarily to let you quickly pick where you want to knock your victim into, sometimes for some major effects in the stage. When selecting the character, the command is visible, it's usually something like back + strong punch(P+K)

The one I'm yet to wrap my head around is the critical burst, which also has its command listed in the same cicumstances (though I think some character have more than one move with that property, which is marked in their movelist, section Unique Blows) - I think that one disables an opponent's ability to use holds from a stun state, in effect garanteeing a combo opportunity or a power blow (which is tricky to land on its own, being kinda slow to come out). Then again, I could be confusing that with the critical stun - I think one of those involves landing some previous moves to ensure it works.

In any case, the fact that the game doesn't act like a character loses the ability to use his limbs while hit at least makes the game less passive again an opponent who knows his combos inside out, the focus seems like it's supposed to gravitate towards well-placed individual moves and short combos of mixed heights, at least on the strikes end of things. Still, the game does have an earnable title of landing 100 10-hit combos, though I think those really require launching (possibly from a counter strike) and juggling.

One other thing the game does that not enough do in the genre is provide some info on what each character's good at, even if it's only in the character select screen when the cursor's on the character icon, yet the character model hasn't loaded yet.
Knowing character so-and-so is supposed to be good at throws or fast can rely on more than cliches about size or sex, or reading about that online in advance, for once - it would be best to have it on screen in a more permanent way while selecting, but at least it's there.

Pollyanna
3303th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(3):Re(10):Style button and vogueing defenc" , posted Fri 5 Oct 12:00post reply

From my understanding, the critical burst move isn't different from any other stunning attack, except that it allows you to combo a power blow after it if you use it in a combo.

The easiest example of one of these combos that I know is Kokoro's ff+P, db+PPP, ub=P (critical burst), power blow

Apart from this use, I wouldn't think of CBs as any different than other moves that cause stun.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
4465th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Style button and vogueing defenc" , posted Sat 6 Oct 00:47post reply

I don't think critical bursts, power blows or any of the other generic clumped-together fighting game terms in DoA5 are all that difficult to do but figuring out how to combine all these things together is still something I need to work on. Between that and TTT2 I have an absurd amount of fighting game moves and strategies to twiddle with.

quote:
Yeah, I get that. Still, like I said, it's not like if Dead or Alive had so many characters that it would be impossible to program them all in time. And anyway, even though both of them fight the same style, their gameplay and strategies were quite different

I sort of like that Team Ninja didn't go down the Namco route and clone everybody in the cast just to fill out the roster. That I prefer Bayman's snappy looking beret to anything Leon wears might have also played a part in my decision. Still, I wouldn't mind the occasional legacy character if they brought something new to the game. Here's to hoping DoA6 gives Brad Wong a female protege. I think it would really add something to DoA if the next girl who joined the cast was a sloppy, mean drunk.

Loona
637th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Style button and vogueing defenc" , posted Sat 6 Oct 06:51post reply

quote:
Here's to hoping DoA6 gives Brad Wong a female protege. I think it would really add something to DoA if the next girl who joined the cast was a sloppy, mean drunk.

The last thing DoA needs is having a chrinic drunk like Brad perving on a girl 24/7.

However, with the Ein situation, gen Fu stating his intention to teach Eliot another style, and maybe Rig suddenly getting his memory back at the end of DoA5, maybe they'll come with with a way to give a few characters more then one style, not unlike Kyo in some KoFs, which would sort of be the opposite of creating clone characters. Along the way, maybe some Doatec clone could get Brad's techniques instead of those of the ninjas for once.

chazumaru
924th Post

"ROUND1! LET THE ACTION BEGIN!" , posted Tue 9 Oct 16:08:post reply

Eight male, heterosexual (except one) people in a room last Sunday played DOA5 and TTT2 together. It was interesting to witness how DOA completely overshadowed TTT2. Do not underestimate the power of sweat physics. Also I learned I will never be able to play TTT2 at home since the HDD install is necessary and also very, very, very long.

In other news, Sega is the new SNK Playmore! Probably the Sega Ages ports. I'll play VF2 in RGG5 instead but good news for fans of TOKIO and BAHN.

マジカル学習と言ったら勉強♪勉強と言ったら学園♪学園と言ったらジャスティス♪ジャスティスと言ったら裁判♪裁判と言ったら逆転♪逆転と言ったらさよなら!♪さよならと言ったら淋しい♪淋しいと言ったらなみだ♪なみだと言ったらティッシュペーパー♪ティッシュペーパーと言ったらエロ漫画♪

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Tue 9 Oct 16:10]

Professor
3583th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Style button and vogueing defence" , posted Tue 9 Oct 20:03post reply

quote:
The playable build at TGS was only 10% complete so some of the stuff I say now might change

- Gameplay is mostly on a 2D plane

I'm a bit late on this but yeah, Jojo was pretty good. Cyberconnect2's Matsuyama was saying that they've got no intention of making a fighting game, but it felt exactly the opposite. I didn't try out the autocombo but as far as playing manually went, it felt like playing a new Jojo fighter that slightly compliments the Capcom original.. at least when using Jotaro. He can switch to fighting with his stand and the movesets changes in that case IIRC. His time-stop is way easier to do than the Capcom Jojo. The characters taking various Jojo poses on a Just Defense is an interesting idea. ...I wonder how many people actually used Wamuu at the TGS demo.

quote:

DOA5's story mode has an incredible amount of story sequences so I definitely won't say Team Ninja went cheap on it. However, it does fall short on the last boss being a recycled model, and each character not having seperate endings. It's basically one huge linear storyline.

quote:
The one I'm yet to wrap my head around is the critical burst, which also has its command listed in the same cicumstances (though I think some character have more than one move with that property, which is marked in their movelist, section Unique Blows)

Critical Stun happens with a lot of moves. It simply puts your opponent into a hitback state and you can combo them. They can't block, but they can do counters in this state.

If you hit your opponent a few times during Critical stun, the text (on the top of the screen) will turn red. While it's red, you can hit the opponent with a Critical Burst. That'll momentarily stun the opponent and then they'll crumple to their knees.

Power Blow is something totally separate from Critical Stun and Critical Blow. It's simply a super move/DM. Your life has to be around 40% or lower to execute it, and you can only do it once. You need to charge up to release it, so it's usually hard to hit. If you stun your opponent with a Critical Burst, it'll give you enough time to hit the opponent.

quote:
In other news, Sega is the new SNK Playmore! Probably the Sega Ages ports. I'll play VF2 in RGG5 instead but good news for fans of TOKIO and BAHN.

SANMAN! What a game, BIG MAHLER means "big penis" in Japanese and I think they might've intentionally abbreviated it as "BM" because of that problem. Hopefully they'll also release Fighter's Megamix.

chazumaru
925th Post

"Re(1):ROUND1! LET THE ACTION BEGIN!" , posted Tue 9 Oct 21:17post reply

quote:
B.M.

Interesting. I always wonder what B.M. was supposed to mean. I assumed it was either Boss or Bad, not Big. So a マラカス is a penis transformation? That explains the numerous Samba de Amigo fanfics...

quote:
Hopefully they'll also release Fighter's Megamix.

It would be nice but I doubt so, as the game was never ported to the PS2. So far all XBLA/PSN ports or Saturn games have used either the arcade or PS2 version, with the notable exception of Guardian Heroes (but I suspect it was in the works on PS2 as a Sega Ages version).

マジカル学習と言ったら勉強♪勉強と言ったら学園♪学園と言ったらジャスティス♪ジャスティスと言ったら裁判♪裁判と言ったら逆転♪逆転と言ったらさよなら!♪さよならと言ったら淋しい♪淋しいと言ったらなみだ♪なみだと言ったらティッシュペーパー♪ティッシュペーパーと言ったらエロ漫画♪

Just a Person
1536th Post

"Re(2):ROUND1! LET THE ACTION BEGIN!" , posted Wed 10 Oct 09:35post reply

Wow, creepy information about B.M... I always thought the "B" standed for "Black" instead of "Big" (if that were the case, would "Mahler" still mean the same thing?)

And yeah, Fighters Megamix should definitely be ported to the current home consoles! How hard could it be to do it, anyway?

chazumaru
927th Post

"Re(3):ROUND1! LET THE ACTION BEGIN!" , posted Wed 10 Oct 17:34post reply

quote:

How hard could it be to do it, anyway?

There is neither an Arcade nor a PC version to base themselves from, so I assume it would actually take a lot of effort. Nothing impossible but "effort" is not the path Sega has chosen to take with their recent PAN/XBLA releases. I do not think they would give M2 enough money and time for the conversion to happen. Treasure did make the effort with Radiant Silvergun, though, but I would not be surprised if they had already planned to port the game a long time ago.

Professor
3584th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):ROUND1! LET THE ACTION BEGIN!" , posted Fri 12 Oct 01:25post reply

quote:
B.M.
Interesting. I always wonder what B.M. was supposed to mean. I assumed it was either Boss or Bad, not Big. So a マラカス is a penis transformation? That explains the numerous Samba de Amigo fanfics...

It would be nice but I doubt so, as the game was never ported to the PS2. So far all XBLA/PSN ports or Saturn games have used either the arcade or PS2 version, with the notable exception of Guardian Heroes (but I suspect it was in the works on PS2 as a Sega Ages version).

マラカス(when used as a sex slang) would mean the same as チンカス.
カス = lint, so basically... it's smegma

I loved Samba de Amigo! I was wondering for a while if it'd be worthwhile to pick up a Wii just for the game.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that with the Sega titles. What else is there to look forward to, humm.... Last Bronx!

KTallguy
1433th Post

"Re(3):ROUND1! LET THE ACTION BEGIN!" , posted Fri 12 Oct 03:51post reply

Thanks for the thorough and detailed description of チンカス and マラカス, professor. I'll be thinking of you fondly as I insult my friends.

Professor
3586th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):ROUND1! LET THE ACTION BEGIN!" , posted Tue 16 Oct 10:39post reply

quote:
Thanks for the thorough and detailed description of チンカス and マラカス, professor. I'll be thinking of you fondly as I insult my friends.

Oh, my... Maracus.. two sticks, two balls...

For some reason, that reminds me. Does anyone remember if Capcom vs SNK 2 had character-specific win quotes in the English version? The Japanese version did and it was slick as hell.

Like for example, all of Eagle's quotes suggested that he was gay. He tells Guile that he can't be penetrated with his Patrionism, tells Dhalsim that it's not the length that counts, tells Yun that he needs to work on his hips.

Also, quotes against King suggested that she was a total masochist.

chazumaru
937th Post

"Re(5):ROUND1! LET THE ACTION BEGIN!" , posted Tue 16 Oct 17:21post reply

Here they are 1
Here they are 2

In the English version, Eagle's quotes include some innuendos but they are apparently not character-specific, unfortunately.

78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 秩序は廻る ♪ 78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 未来を示す

Loona
643th Post

"Re(5):ROUND1! LET THE ACTION BEGIN!" , posted Tue 16 Oct 21:06post reply

quote:
For some reason, that reminds me. Does anyone remember if Capcom vs SNK 2 had character-specific win quotes in the English version? The Japanese version did and it was slick as hell.

Like for example, all of Eagle's quotes suggested that he was gay. He tells Guile that he can't be penetrated with his Patrionism, tells Dhalsim that it's not the length that counts, tells Yun that he needs to work on his hips.

Also, quotes against King suggested that she was a total masochist.

King, not Vice?...

Man, this just makes me wish that a CvS2 re-release would at least bother with completing those translations...

sibarraz
472th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):ROUND1! LET THE ACTION BEGIN!" , posted Tue 16 Oct 23:35post reply

quote:
B.M.

マラカス(when used as a sex slang) would mean the same as チンカス.
カス = lint, so basically... it's smegma

I loved Samba de Amigo! I was wondering for a while if it'd be worthwhile to pick up a Wii just for the game.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that with the Sega titles. What else is there to look forward to, humm.... Last Bronx!

Samba de Amigo will work perfectly on kinect, event that new rhytm game that sega will release reminds me a bit of samba de amigo

Professor
3587th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):ROUND1! LET THE ACTION BEGIN!" , posted Wed 17 Oct 11:10post reply

quote:
Here they are 1
Here they are 2

In the English version, Eagle's quotes include some innuendos but they are apparently not character-specific, unfortunately.

Man, Eagle is so gay. Those quotes are awesome.

Loona: Yeah King, there's quotes in the game that suggests she enjoys the pain when she's getting beat up. Vice on the other hand is a total sadist!

kofoguz
1006th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(7):ROUND1! LET THE ACTION BEGIN!" , posted Wed 17 Oct 22:20post reply

quote:
Here they are 1
Here they are 2

Man, Eagle is so gay. Those quotes are awesome.

Loona: Yeah King, there's quotes in the game that suggests she enjoys the pain when she's getting beat up. Vice on the other hand is a total sadist!

I was always wondering what he said exactly in japanese quotes. I searched butt couldnt find a proper faq.

chazumaru
940th Post

"MODEL2 Collection" , posted Thu 18 Oct 15:52post reply

Here we go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnLUHKE6gyI

But who cares about the first Virtua Striker? I would have preferred Desert Tank.

Burning Ranger
1723th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):MODEL2 Collection" , posted Thu 18 Oct 19:36post reply

quote:
Here we go:

But who cares about the first Virtua Striker? I would have preferred Desert Tank.

VIRTUAL ON! I wonder if each title will be offered individually...

So much to do so little time...

chazumaru
941th Post

"Re(2):MODEL2 Collection" , posted Thu 18 Oct 20:41post reply

quote:

Each title is sold individually. However, you can buy the three fighting games together for a special price on PSN. They come out in 2012. V-On and VS are 2013. Why Last Bronx (or THOTD1 or Dyna Deka2) is not included in order to make a second pack is beyond me. Horii will release a twin stick for V-On.

I would assume it is the same emulator that will handle VF2 in RGG5. Most probably developed by M2. I don't know whether the "VF2 in RGG5" idea or the "Model2 catalogue" idea came first, but either way, clever capitalization of their efforts.

Ishmael
4474th Post

"Re(1):MODEL2 Collection" , posted Fri 19 Oct 04:29post reply

quote:

King's desire for suffering and humiliation probably explains why she hangs around with the chronically embarrassing Sakazaki clan.

quote:
Here we go:

Jeffry's teleporting power bomb is amazing.

Gojira
2886th Post

"Re(3):MODEL2 Collection" , posted Fri 19 Oct 04:41post reply

quote:

Each title is sold individually. However, you can buy the three fighting games together for a special price on PSN. They come out in 2012. V-On and VS are 2013. Why Last Bronx (or THOTD1 or Dyna Deka2) is not included in order to make a second pack is beyond me. Horii will release a twin stick for V-On.

Well HotD I can sort of understand. That's a little more complicated than just emulating, considering the 360 doesn't even have anything resembling a light gun. Kinect doesn't really cut it.

But Last Bronx was like my favorite Model 2 fighter, and its omission is a tragedy. The gameplay was super-floaty and the game was kind of broken, but the character designs had a surprisingly endearing level of personality for a Sega fighting game.

And of course, no Daytoooonaaaaaaaaaa either. :(

chazumaru
945th Post

"Re(4):MODEL2 Collection" , posted Fri 19 Oct 04:50:post reply

Err, Daytona is already released. The Daytona port is probably how this whole thing got started!

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Fri 19 Oct 04:52]

Gojira
2888th Post

"Re(5):MODEL2 Collection" , posted Fri 19 Oct 05:55:post reply

quote:
Err, Daytona is already released. The Daytona port is probably how this whole thing got started!

Oh. You know, I might feel bad about not knowing this if it wasn't so easy to miss games you're not actively following. Gone are the days of coming across something when you're browsing for something else, because Daytona USA does not come up when you do a store search for Tokyo Jungle.

Hmm, with this I may have enough things to buy on PSN to get the $20 rebate for this month. Huzzah!

[this message was edited by Gojira on Fri 19 Oct 05:57]

Loona
647th Post

"Re(1):MODEL2 Collection" , posted Fri 19 Oct 19:34post reply

quote:
Here we go:

I hadn't realized Honey/Candy from Fighting Vipers was in Sonic the Fighters in anthromorphisized form... could this be where the Sonic fandom's infamy of recent years has spawned?...

chazumaru
946th Post

"Re(2):MODEL2 Collection" , posted Fri 19 Oct 21:02post reply

quote:
Here we go:

I hadn't realized Honey/Candy from Fighting Vipers was in Sonic the Fighters in anthromorphisized form... could this be where the Sonic fandom's infamy of recent years has spawned?...

You had not realized because it was not the case. The character was scrapped during development or just an internal joke from programmers, but can still be found in the final ROM (just like Sonic was in the ROM of Fighting Vipers). For this remake, she will be made playable for the first time. The Boss characters will also be playable. It's a nice touch, just like the karaoke mode of Daytona USA in the PSN/XBLA port.

badoor
286th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: PSVITA:BadoorUSA

Copper Customer

"Re(3):MODEL2 Collection" , posted Mon 22 Oct 14:26post reply

I was afraid that, since the NiGHTS HD port was based on the PS2 remake, that these ones would also be based on the SEGA AGES PS2 collection. The SEGA AGES Virtua Fighter 2 port was not good, with drab colors and an unsteady frame rate according to gamespot. I remember not importing it specifically because of this preview.

But the fact that they're adding Honey in Sonic The Fighters and that the games look great, plus Virtua Striker was never ported in the SEGA AGES collection, means that the MODEL 2 collection would be a new, better take on those games.

And while Virtua Striker is the more popular soccer game, I kinda wish they'd release the saturn-only Victory Goal games, only because they had amazing cg intros with Takenobu Mitsuyoshi Music

Ishmael
4476th Post

"Re(4):MODEL2 Collection" , posted Tue 23 Oct 00:16post reply

I like how fighting games have taken on a secondary life as a spectator sport with the most recent example being the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Qualifier that was held this weekend. First, I really liked the absurdly long and intense grand finals in SSF4. Watching two characters shuffle back and forth has rarely been so engaging. Second, the poster for the event was a great reference and made me smile every time I saw it. Third, I found I even liked the few SFxT matches I managed to see. Either that means people have finally figured out some way to play the game so that it isn't a total bore to watch or there is a carbon monoxide leak in my place that is imparing my judgment.

Loona
649th Post

"EVO game poll on Facebook" , posted Fri 26 Oct 18:55post reply

MrWizard from SRK posted on Twitter about a poll running in Facebook about which games to run for EVO - as of this moment KoF XIII is on top, yes, even above SF4 and UMvC3.

Did my part and voted too, for KoF of course, with a vote for DoA5 too because a game with Brad Wong's swag, universal Geese counters and probably the biggest female player base of any fighting game I can think of sounds just like the kind of thing that could help bring balance to the FGC.

Professor
3590th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):EVO game poll on Facebook" , posted Fri 26 Oct 23:24post reply

I'll vote for S... senor Footies... KOF13, thanks.

In other news, looks like Examu is making an updated version of Arcana Heart 3, titled Arcana Heart 3: LOVE MAX!!!!! The game will be distributed on NesicaLive so it essencially won't be played outside of Japan.

The game is still 4:3 screen ratio and it seems to fundamentally be based on the console ports of AH3, but with game rebalancing, additional moves, new modes, and of course IC card functions so you can record your records on the Nesica servers.

Loona
650th Post

"Re(2):EVO game poll on Facebook" , posted Tue 30 Oct 06:20post reply

Harada playing with some hearts by mentioning Soul Calibur X Samurai Shodown a possibility?

Technically both games have crossed before in Queen's Gate Spiral Chaos (had Ivy on the SC side, Iroha and Mina on the SS one), and the 360 SS game did have SCish controls, and last I checked Harada's profile on FB, it mentioned liking SS - on the other hand, I take it that sort of thing is outside his jurisdiction...

Iggy
9395th Post

"Re(1):EVO game poll on Facebook" , posted Tue 30 Oct 09:14post reply

quote:
MrWizard from SRK posted on Twitter about a poll running in Facebook about which games to run for EVO - as of this moment KoF XIII is on top, yes, even above SF4 and UMvC3.

Oh, isn't that cute, they didn't even put SFxT there. How much of a douchebag can you be.
Looking forward for the Nintendork to ruin MrWizard's perfect fantasy.

Ishmael
4482th Post

"Re(2):EVO game poll on Facebook" , posted Tue 30 Oct 21:53post reply

quote:
Oh, isn't that cute, they didn't even put SFxT there. How much of a douchebag can you be.

It seems the option to add games to the poll has been enabled. I'm certain that feature won't be abused.

Spoon
2372th Post

"Re(3):EVO game poll on Facebook" , posted Wed 31 Oct 01:36post reply

quote:

It seems the option to add games to the poll has been enabled. I'm certain that feature won't be abused.

There are only about 90 entries below the top handful, and they are hidden by default. Surprisingly, it's neither that abusable nor that abused!

Full disclosure: i voted for Senor Footsies.

Professor
3611th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Blazblue CP coming next week & 3DS spinoff" , posted Wed 14 Nov 18:22post reply

Blazblue Chorono Phantasma is hitting Japanese arcades on the NesicaLive next week

A new Spinoff is coming to the Nintendo 3DS

There's going to be a 'true' version of Tsubaki in BBCP. Considering that Celica Mercury is rumored to be in the game, I wonder how the developers are going to avoid their ponytailed looks from overlapping if she's actually in the game.

Nekros
517th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Blazblue CP coming next week & 3DS spin" , posted Thu 15 Nov 00:50post reply

quote:
Blazblue Chorono Phantasma is hitting Japanese arcades on the NesicaLive next week

A new Spinoff is coming to the Nintendo 3DS

There's going to be a 'true' version of Tsubaki in BBCP. Considering that Celica Mercury is rumored to be in the game, I wonder how the developers are going to avoid their ponytailed looks from overlapping if she's actually in the game.

Maybe is revealed that Celica is

Phantom

End of Spoiler

, so we could have her with a different design.

mbisonhatclub
532th Post

PSN: hadoolket

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Blazblue CP coming next week & 3DS spin" , posted Thu 15 Nov 04:18post reply

quote:
Maybe is revealed that Celica is , so we could have her with a different design.

Kind of weird, because the speculation is that spoiler is

Nine because of Jubei's reaction to her

End of Spoiler

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Professor
3614th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Blazblue CP coming next week & 3DS spin" , posted Thu 15 Nov 10:13:post reply

quote:

Maybe is revealed that Celica is , so we could have her with a different design.

Nekros: Actually, Celica is // the Chrono Phantasma, it was revealed in the novel release two months ago. The name makes sense considering she's from the past. I'd be surprised if she was the Phantom because she gets brought into the future by Kokonoe, not sure how. //

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 15 Nov 10:15]

Amakusa
921th Post

"Re(2):MODEL2 Collection" , posted Thu 15 Nov 11:43post reply

quote:
Here we go:

Wow, that makes me feel old. I remember playing that a lot in college.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Professor
3620th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Blazblue CP coming next week & 3DS spin" , posted Wed 21 Nov 02:27:post reply

Official site opens for Blazblue CP

4 vacant slots....?

Relius AH on Bullet

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 21 Nov 03:03]

Ishmael
4492th Post

"Re(4):Blazblue CP coming next week & 3DS spin" , posted Wed 21 Nov 04:36post reply

The Street Fighter/Sanrio mash-up continues with the upcoming release of both a sticker book and a regular non-sticker book. Is there a lot of crossover in the fanbases for these two franchises?

mbisonhatclub
535th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Blazblue CP coming next week & 3DS spin" , posted Wed 21 Nov 05:56:post reply

quote:
Official site opens for Blazblue CP

4 vacant slots....?

I remember reading a comment Mori made to the degree of "there's more on the way", possibly for console version.

But for example, Izayoi-possessed Tsubaki is not listed, neither is Mu-12 nor Lambda, so that leaves room for one more character, which is what I think Mori hinted at.

Which I believe his hint leaned on Kokonoe

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by mbisonhatclub on Wed 21 Nov 06:19]

Professor
3621th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Blazblue CP coming next week & 3DS spin" , posted Wed 21 Nov 15:15:post reply

Last part of Kazama ed
Spoiler, beware

https://twitter.com/TMRYKR__oke/status/271042218083635201/photo/1

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 21 Nov 15:54]

Professor
3621th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Southtown arcade closing down" , posted Wed 21 Nov 16:43post reply

Another arcade landmark is closing down in the states.

http://www.southtownarcade.com/archives/769

It's apparently not due to bad business, but they'll be missed. I remember a few members here talked about their fond memories of visiting there, pity I never had the chance to step foot.

Professor
3623th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Skullgirls update patch, new dev studio" , posted Thu 22 Nov 02:23post reply

Things went astray with Reverge Labs in June.
Now, I did not know about this.

Also, the game's patch is finally released today. Just got my ass whipped online, the netcode is damn good as are some of the new goodies like Filia's missing win pose. It's more like a complete re-download, about 600MB.

Ishmael
4493th Post

"Re(1):Skullgirls update patch, new dev studio" , posted Thu 22 Nov 05:21post reply

quote:
Things went astray with Reverge Labs in June.
Now, I did not know about this.

I wonder what caused this split. While I know that mass firing after a project is completed is de rigueur for larger companies that seems a like an odd move for such a small enterprise. Does Reverge Labs have anything else in the pipes or did they decide that whittling their staff down to two people was a good way to move forward? Will Lab Zero Games manage to find a new source of funding? I hope they do since Skullgirls was a really nice debut effort.

Reading through all the information about this spat reminds me how easy it is to declare yourself to be a studio or something similar. There are three different groups involved in Skullgirls which makes it sound like a large business dealing but the truth is these groups are probably little more than a name on a website.

Gojira
2897th Post

"Re(2):Skullgirls update patch, new dev studio" , posted Thu 22 Nov 06:15post reply

My best guess is funding. I seriously doubt that Skullgirls was making them enough money to stay in full operation mode. Heck, the production of the game before release was hideously slow enough as it was. That can't have been good news for investors.

Professor
3625th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Skullgirls update patch, new dev studio" , posted Fri 23 Nov 21:34post reply

Well one way to look at it is that it's very easy to start a new venture business in the States (which is good), and another way is that you're contstantly getting contenders in an industry where one failed game and it's over for most companies. I still think it's a much healthier condition than the Japanese market.

That put aside, here's the new Astral Finish sequences for Blazblue Chrono Phantasma. Amane can turn other characters into kids.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19418675 - Nico

mbisonhatclub
537th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Izayoi youtube video" , posted Sun 25 Nov 04:05:post reply

It's not much, but it's a CPU controlled Izayoi video. Unfortunately, the idiot who captured the video didn't understand the concept of exhibiting a character we've not seen before by exhibiting rather a character we've seen enough of before.

Also, totally hot lewd (picture I think came from Kurushii).

Mu-12 has a newer astral, different from the handjob astral she previously had

Furthermore unimportantly, did trials 5-8 of Joe Higashi's yesterday, already did 200 long ago, just slowly trodding along to do all of them because even though I don't like playing online, I will still train!

[this message was edited by mbisonhatclub on Sun 25 Nov 06:54]

Professor
3627th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Izayoi youtube video" , posted Sun 25 Nov 17:38post reply

quote:
It's not much, but it's a CPU controlled Izayoi video. Unfortunately, the idiot who captured the video didn't understand the concept of exhibiting a character we've not seen before by exhibiting rather a character we've seen enough of before.

Also, totally hot lewd (picture I think came from Kurushii).

Mu-12 has a newer astral, different from the handjob astral she previously had

Furthermore unimportantly, did trials 5-8 of Joe Higashi's yesterday, already did 200 long ago, just slowly trodding along to do all of them because even though I don't like playing online, I will still train!

Interesting! I heard Tsubaki has her back turned with the Relius AH, didn't think it'd be like.. THAT. More like her old one or something.

In case anyone's wondering what my avatars are, they're the icons that you can set on your profile for playing the game in the arcades. You spend about 30 in-game points/money to get one randomly.

Professor
3628th Post

MMCafe Owner

"URYYYYYYYYY" , posted Wed 28 Nov 22:44post reply

Dio, Holhorse, Abdul confirmed for JoJo All-Stars

Professor
3636th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Yes, I am! & Street Fighter Kyoku new artbook" , posted Sat 22 Dec 18:36:post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=HbdgjePSY0o

IT really is starting to feel like an all-stars! Wonder if the lack of lip-synch is just due to mid-development.

On another note, Capcom has a new artbook out called "Street Fighter Kyoku". It's an updated revision of "Street Fighter Ha" with additional fresh new artworks and also stuff from SFxT. And as usual, there's guest artists as well.

Kinu cover art
http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/025/687/50c552d981d44.html

Some page samples
http://impatiens.blog123.fc2.com/blog-entry-2057.html

Guest arts (scroll to bottom
http://www.capcom.co.jp/blog/sf4/saikyo_blog/2012/12/14_7190.html

http://hiroaki-blog.blogspot.jp/Hiroaki updates his blog about it, and... by lord, is that a fried chicken as a mascot character at the bottom?

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 22 Dec 19:43]

Iggy
9406th Post

"Re(1):Yes, I am! & Street Fighter Kyoku new a" , posted Sat 22 Dec 20:48post reply

quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=HbdgjePSY0o

IT really is starting to feel like an all-stars! Wonder if the lack of lip-synch is just due to mid-development.

I would think so, since the Dio's lip-synch is good at the end of the PV (when he cannot move, but still speak). They probably focused their efforts on the main characters, and hope to finish Avdol and the others at a later stage?
Jolyne and Hermes's VA are doing a great job, and those of part 4 characters as well.

Weather Report 99% confirmed: it wouldn't make sense to create a 3D model just for a gimmick.

Still nothing on the release date, not even "spring" or "summer". I wonder if we'll have to wait until the next TGS...

Nekros
523th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Yes, I am! & Street Fighter Kyoku new a" , posted Mon 24 Dec 19:01:post reply

quote:

Guest arts (scroll to bottom
http://www.capcom.co.jp/blog/sf4/saikyo_blog/2012/12/14_7190.html

Ha! Shinkiro art features Elena, Hugo and Retsu... new version of SFIV incoming?

[this message was edited by Nekros on Mon 24 Dec 19:01]

KTallguy
1464th Post

"Re(2):Yes, I am! & Street Fighter Kyoku new a" , posted Tue 25 Dec 04:03:post reply

That would be smart of them!

That and a new Vampire...

Edit: Good eyes recognizing Retsu! I had no idea who that was at first.

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Tue 25 Dec 04:05]

karasu99
1043th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Yes, I am! & Street Fighter Kyoku new a" , posted Tue 25 Dec 04:22post reply

quote:
That would be smart of them!

That and a new Vampire...

Edit: Good eyes recognizing Retsu! I had no idea who that was at first.

Even though Retsu's not all that memorable in SFI, I'll always think of him as he appears in this image.

www.secret-arts.com

Iggy
9407th Post

"Re(2):Yes, I am! & Street Fighter Kyoku new a" , posted Tue 25 Dec 04:46post reply

quote:
Ha! Shinkiro art features Elena, Hugo and Retsu... new version of SFIV incoming?

Or maybe they'd add Gen, Rose, Fei Long, Viper and Retsu to SFxT.
Now that would be a good troll. After all, SFxT's website has 5 empty spaces for each company on its selection screen... muahaha.

Ishmael
4512th Post

"Re(3):Yes, I am! & Street Fighter Kyoku new a" , posted Tue 25 Dec 06:23post reply

quote:

This is my favorite unsubstantiated rumor in weeks.

quote:

No, wait, this is my favorite unsubstantiated rumor in weeks.

Madgear
7th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Yes, I am! & Street Fighter Kyoku new a" , posted Fri 28 Dec 02:43post reply

quote:

This is my favorite unsubstantiated rumor in weeks.

No, wait, this is my favorite unsubstantiated rumor in weeks.

That link from earlier is great! I see BENGUS ARTTTTTTTT!!! YES! Looks like Daisuke Ishiwatari of GG fame did the Yun and Yang.

rlateef.com / rlateef.wordpress.com