Persona 4 Arena Thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (4318 Views )

Professor
3529th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"The Persona 4 Arena Thread" , posted Thu 26 Jul 23:40:post reply

[Update] Tried playing 1-bar for like 30-40 matches with a certain Canned Dog about 3300km/2000miles away from me. It was unbelievably good. This netcode is gdlk.

First reports based on the JP region version.

Currently available DLCs:

Additional colors
These give 6 additional colors + 2 offline-only colors to the characters
Color Pack 1 (Yu/Yukiko/Kuma)- 250JPY
Color Pack 2 (Chie/Naoto/Akihiko)- 250JPY
Color Pack 3 (Yosuke/Aegis/Labrys)- 250JPY
Color Pack 4 (Kanji/Mitsuru/Elisabeth/ShadowLabrys)- 250JPY
All-in-one Color Pack- 800JPY

Sunglasses
You get to play with your characters wearing shades in the game.
Sunglasses Pack 1 (Yu/Yukiko/Kuma)- 250JPY
Sunglasses Pack 2 (Chie/Naoto/Akihiko)- 250JPY
Sunglasses Pack 3 (Yosuke/Aegis/Labrys)- 250JPY
Sunglasses Pack 4 (Kanji/Mitsuru/Elisabeth/ShadowLabrys)- 250JPY
All-in-one Color Pack- 800JPY

Navigator voices
These are alternatively unlockable by playing through the game, including Fuuka and Nanako (at least according to Atlus' description)
Kuma- 300JPY
Yosuke- 500JPY
Mitsuru- 400JPY
Aegis- 500JPY
Fuuka- 500JPY
Nanako- 500JPY

Exclusive magazine bonus Colors
These magazines include exclusive colors for the game. Evidently not unlockables but DLC-- they're 671KB downloads each.
Famitsu Vol.1234- 450JPY / Unlocks Color #17. [ Sample Page ]
Dengeki Playstation Vol.523- 690JPY / Unlocks Color #18. [ Sample Page ]

Netcode Impressions:
The PS3 version is smooth as butter on 4 bars from what I've played thus far. It really makes KOF13's netcode feel inferior. Even at 3 bars, you don't feel like there's gum sticking on the bottom of your feet when you're about to jump.

However, the Xbox360 version is a different story. Top fighting game player Kubo reported with a pre-launch copy last night that the game feels like it's playing underwater. Some people were skeptical that it was just because the game wasn't officially released and the servers weren't ready. Unfortunately, they found out otherwise the hard way. People are saying it plays as bad as KOF12 (that's right, Lucifer's gift to home console netcode Freaking KOF12), except in some ultra rare cases when you get a really good connection. For the time being, it's getting heavily bashed by discontented consumers. Hopefully it'll be patched by the time of the US region release.

Story Mode:
The story mode is not an RPG but a linear novel game. Very well written and a way lot longer per character than Blazblue. It took me around 2 hours to go through Narukami's storyline without skipping through the dialogues, which for many parts are voiced. you get prompted at times to make a decision but there doesn't seem to be any split paths thus far, just minor changes in the dialogue right afterwards. It's a good compliment to the arcade release even if you've played though its storyline.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 27 Jul 03:43]

Replies:

Zepy
1584th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):The Persona 4 Arena Thread" , posted Fri 27 Jul 04:29post reply

I picked all the stupid decisions on Chie's route and got a bad ending!

The story mode's awesome, didn't expect myself to enjoy it that much.

Also insanely good netcode (for the PS3 version)

Toxico
5678th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):The Persona 4 Arena Thread" , posted Fri 27 Jul 07:16post reply

So... Anyone feels like checking up the manga for this?

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 24 as of 15/06/12

Pollyanna
3260th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(3):The Persona 4 Arena Thread" , posted Fri 27 Jul 17:20post reply

I just started going through "The Golden" and went from being happy to see everyone again to thinking "these people talk too much". So I don't know if I'm excited about a super intensive story mode or not (because I'll end up playing it either way, I'm sure). What does it unlock?

quote:
So... Anyone feels like checking up the manga for this?

Huh! That's the artist that did the Code Age manga back when Square was trying to make a big deal out of it. I don't remember anything about that game other than that it was pretty and sluggish.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Professor
3530th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):The Persona 4 Arena Thread" , posted Fri 27 Jul 20:07:post reply

Atlus has made an official announcement on its developer's blog that they are currently looking into the Xbox360's netplay problem.

http://p-atlus.jp/kouhou/2012/07/27/u.html

Quick translation:

We have confirmed issues regarding unexpected network lag on the Xbox360 version of Persona 4 Arena released on 7/26. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Investigations are currently underway to figure out the source of the problem. We will be making further announcements when we figure its causes. We thank you for your patience.

The lag may be improved at the current time by setting network preferences in the game to "Custom match " area preference to "same", and speed setting to "good connections only". Please give it a try.

* This issue is currently confirmed on the Xbox360 version only. We once again apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 27 Jul 20:24]

Professor
3530th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):The Persona 4 Arena Thread" , posted Fri 27 Jul 23:07post reply

Zepy: Are you playing story mode in Japanese or English? It's probably just personal taste but I feel like there's something off about the Eng script.. I mean it's not Engrish or anything, but it's no Hotel Dusk either.

Zepy
1585th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):The Persona 4 Arena Thread" , posted Sat 28 Jul 03:15post reply

quote:
Zepy: Are you playing story mode in Japanese or English? It's probably just personal taste but I feel like there's something off about the Eng script.. I mean it's not Engrish or anything, but it's no Hotel Dusk either.

I'm playing in Japanese, I actually hate playing with two languages at once because it gets really distracting when I start picking up lines and think of how it missed or added a different nuance and my mind wonders off on how I would have translated it differently (even while I try to convince myself that I don't care)

Also I realised my Aegis win rate is horrible even though I thought I was getting better with her

Professor
3531th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):The Persona 4 Arena Thread" , posted Sat 28 Jul 04:40post reply

quote:

Also I realised my Aegis win rate is horrible even though I thought I was getting better with her

Shadow Labrys Ichigeki Hissatsu bait

Professor
3534th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):The Persona 4 Arena Thread" , posted Tue 31 Jul 20:57:post reply

Atlus has released a public note on their blog saying that Arc Systemworks has determined the cause of lag for the Xbox 360 version and a patch to fix it is currently underway. Once the patch finishes its test phase, it'll take a while for the approval process.

For anyone wondering, this is the lag that Atlus needs to fix for the Xbox 360 version.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18456618 - Nico

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 31 Jul 21:09]

Toxico
5685th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(6):The Persona 4 Arena Thread" , posted Thu 2 Aug 02:22post reply

According to Famitsu , Persona easily breaks the 100k barrier for it's first week sales. I keep reading that such number easily outclasses actual dedicated fighting games franchise 1st week numbers, but I wouldn't know since I'm not really into those sort of thing.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 24 as of 15/06/12

Professor
3540th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):The Persona 4 Arena Thread" , posted Thu 2 Aug 11:47post reply

quote:
According to Famitsu , Persona easily breaks the 100k barrier for it's first week sales. I keep reading that such number easily outclasses actual dedicated fighting games franchise 1st week numbers, but I wouldn't know since I'm not really into those sort of thing.

It sold 138K from what I understand, which is almost 3 times the sales of BBCS and 7 times that of KOF13. It's definitely a good number and it would've been the top selling game of its release week (having to face New Super Mario 2). I'm a bit mixed about the figure because I thought it'd sell a bit more with P4 fans.

Spoon
2354th Post

"Re(8):The Persona 4 Arena Thread" , posted Thu 2 Aug 21:04post reply

It always surprises me how few copies of P4 were actually sold in the United States. I guess the reason for that impression for me is that the internet presence of P4 just seemed so substantial.

But then it turned out that the total number of copies of P4 sold in North America were just a bit over 100k, while in Japan it sold like 300k. I'm kind of surprised that that's sufficient for the title.

Juan
4564th Post

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: rofl

"xbox patch" , posted Thu 9 Aug 22:39post reply

The patch to fix the netcode issues in the xbox version was just released. Not bad, kind of expected for this to be fixed a week after the US release.

Fought people thousands of miles away from me and there is no lag. what sorcery is this

KTallguy
1410th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):xbox patch" , posted Fri 10 Aug 03:03post reply

I hate to admit it but I played this game until 3AM last night... the system is pretty fun.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

GekigangerV
1771th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):xbox patch" , posted Sun 12 Aug 14:10post reply

I got the game after work on Friday and I have been enjoying it. I did the lesson mode, trial mode (average about 20-21 completed for each character so far) and did a couple of arcade runs with two characters.

To be honest, this is my first exposure to the Persona universe. I always saw those Shin Megami Tensei games and thought I would like to try those out one of these days, but never got around to it. Now I will most def. try to get either the PS1 or PSP versions. Probably around Christmas time since that will probably when I can devote some time to an RPG.

Just from looks, I went for Akihiko and Kanji as characters I want to try out.

I really enjoy the system. Character moves are pretty damn simplistic where almost everything is QCF and with just one charge character. I am having some problems working with the movement system as well as the finer points of the just defend system.

I think my problem is that I played too much MvC3 and with characters that don't have air dashes so I keep on forgetting to do that.

I'm gonna try to finish up some challenges to try to get some ideas about the more in depth parts of the combo system and mess around with defending in arcade before I go back online. I had one online match so far and it was against a Chie and I was destroyed in the second round.

If anyone is on XBL I am gekijmo5 so feel free to challenge a guy who has no idea what he's doing.

Pollyanna
3269th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(3):xbox patch" , posted Sun 12 Aug 18:28post reply

I knew I would like this game, since I like Persona and I like fighting games, but I didn't expect it to be so good. I like that Persona fans who aren't into fighting games can fairly easily get through the story mode and maybe decide they can play fighters after all. Conversely, nothing important is unlocked with story mode, so players who don't care about that can jump right in. The simple commands and auto combos present a very low mechanical barrier and the game is unexpectedly solid outside of that. I expected another Basara or Hokuto no Ken, both of which I enjoyed, but probably wouldn't recommend. This game, I would recommend. Fighting game fans who see it as another license fighter are seriously missing out.

On a related note, I've been pleasantly surprised by the system changes in The Golden as well. I actually caught myself playing it while waiting for matches in Arena. DOUBLE PERSONA TIME.

quote:
Netcode

My only complaint with the netcode is that the numbers are not an accurate display of your connection. I was playing in a room with a 1, two 0s and a 4, and it was all pretty much perfect. I would have people leave the room because the numbers were low, but the performance was still excellent.

For reference, I find the netcode on KOFXIII insufferable and the SFxT netcode barely tolerable. Many of the "0's" I've played on Persona are better than any connection I've played on other games.

quote:

I'm gonna try to finish up some challenges to try to get some ideas about the more in depth parts of the combo system and mess around with defending in arcade before I go back online. I had one online match so far and it was against a Chie and I was destroyed in the second round.

I tried to get "my first 100 losses" online as soon as possible. I feel like training and computer play harm as much as they help. I was very comfortable playing against the computer, but when I got online, I had a tough time approaching opponents. It's a different game.

I'm quite awful to be honest, but I'm starting to understand movement and tactics a little better than before.

I'm trying to tell my friends (who are just starting) not to rely so much on combos that start with "A". With rookie players, you see a lot of people scrambling to get that jab in to get the one combo they know off (or the auto combo). I'm hoping to learn follow-ups for multiple situations and let the longer combos come later. (Naoto's standing B is too good for me to worry about getting off her mediocre jab)

I haven't picked a "main" yet. Like in every fighting game I play, I like too many characters. In this case, it's nearly the entire cast.

ALSOOOOO!
What's everyone's titles? Right now mine is "Weakest Witch Detective".

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Gieflos
83th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):xbox patch" , posted Mon 13 Aug 12:14post reply

I am currently known as Wild Effort Vice President.

GekigangerV
1773th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):xbox patch" , posted Thu 16 Aug 12:17post reply

I am the " Coffee Bomb All Nighter".

I tried to just mess around today to try and get some instant kill set ups and Elizabeth is pretty tricky to get since it is a counter move and it requires 3 hits to activate. It only really works against characters like Teddie's jumping A or Chie's multikick attack movie.

I also tried switching to KOFXIII to end the evening and I complete couldn't change my thought process. I was mashing A to try and get an auto combo and tried to throw with CD. Man, I can't believe I can't separate games in my mind. It could also be due the fact I am super sick today with aches in my Knees, a sore throat and a fever that is draining all my energy.

I think this will be the last fighting game I buy this generation. I know Jojo remake is out next week (way too expensive for my liking since JSR is coming out too for half the price) then there is a new Jojo game in the making then there is TTT2 (never was a big Tekken fan) and perhaps TxSF (if SFxT didn't kill all interest in it). Then there is the new BB and a couple of other games. Its too hard to keep up with all of them and try to stay above average.

Professor
3557th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):xbox patch" , posted Thu 16 Aug 16:54post reply

I keep changing names because it's so fun collecting the titles. Right now I'm "Wasabi Tube Bomb".

Played a... 0-Bar match yesterday. Seriously. I didn't know something below a 1-bar could even exist. Was even more surprised that it was actually playable.

Seizya
3172th Post

"A starter question." , posted Fri 24 Aug 03:15post reply

Hakase or anyone for that matter, if I were to go to an arcade place or a friend's place and see this game now, who's the best starter character to pick? (By that, I mean someone who is simple to use right from the drop of a hat such as Kyou in various "KoF" games.) Thanks guys.

Professor
3567th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):A starter question." , posted Fri 24 Aug 10:12post reply

quote:
Hakase or anyone for that matter, if I were to go to an arcade place or a friend's place and see this game now, who's the best starter character to pick? (By that, I mean someone who is simple to use right from the drop of a hat such as Kyou in various "KoF" games.) Thanks guys.

The protagonist(Narukami) or Mitsuru. The basics of this game is very easy to pick up. For special moves, the commands are easy. There's only , , and . No difficult inputs, not even . Also, everyone basically has an invulnerable comeback move/DP by just pressing 2 buttons.

Seizya
3173th Post

"Re(2):A starter question." , posted Fri 24 Aug 11:37post reply

quote:
The protagonist (Narukami) or Mitsuru. The basics of this game is very easy to pick up. For special moves, the commands are easy. There's only , , and . No difficult inputs, not even . Also, everyone basically has an invulnerable comeback move/DP by just pressing 2 buttons.

!

I so want to play this now! Ha ha ha! Thank you Professor! (≧∇≦)

Loona
620th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):A starter question." , posted Fri 24 Aug 18:40post reply

Yu, Aigis and Elizabeth get to join the new Lord of Vermilion update - so if the idea of a Persona/KoF crossover in a Square-Enix arena tickles your fancy, I hope you like japanese arcade card games.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Nekros
480th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):A starter question." , posted Fri 24 Aug 19:18post reply

quote:
Yu, Aigis and Elizabeth get to join the new Lord of Vermilion update - so if the idea of a Persona/KoF crossover in a Square-Enix arena tickles your fancy, I hope you like japanese arcade card games.

So, is this the surprise collaboration Atlus teased?

PS: wtf with the pal release? Very bad, Atlus.

Burning Ranger
1714th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):A starter question." , posted Tue 11 Sep 10:31post reply

Decided to spend some more quality time with the game. It has its charm. I think Aigis will be my main character...

A few questions/comments.

- Is the Velvet Room the Persona version of the Red Lodge from Twin Peaks?
- Soundtrack is ok...I only like a few songs (Reach out the Truth especially)
- What is up with Labrys' ending???
- English voice acting isn't too bad...

So much to do so little time...