PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"The Mega Drive (Mini) Thread" , posted Tue 17 Sep 12:09post reply

Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock!

That’s right, it’s time to set your 68000 heart on fire for the Mega Drive (Mini) thread!

Use this thread to talk about your wonderful MD Mini and how you have bought ten copies to thank our masters at M2 and to convince Sega to make a Mega CD Mini next, or about your MD memories or favorite games in general which may or may not be included. And if you’ve never played a Mega Drive, IT IS TIME TO GET WITH THE PROGRAM

The MD Mini feels more momentous than other minis, not only because Sega has gone its customary extra mile with M2 on emulation and twice as many games, but because it’s basically reintroducing the console to Japan, where it was for niche enthusiasts. And unlike the SFC Mini, where I can think of literally 29 significant games** off the top of my head that aren’t there, the (Japanese) MD Mini is only missing about six important games (Shining Force II, Phantasy Star II, Alien Soldier, Ristar, Strider, and Rocket Knight…and I suppose the other Sonic games, if you must).

For localized nostalgia purposes, it does make sense that the US version trades the godly Langrisser II and Musha Aleste for mediocre American platform games, so shouldn’t they also have at least included one of the EA sports games that made the system a hit there, as well as Zero Wing in honor of the 1990s English-speaking internet’s favorite mistranslated ship captain? “Take off every ‘ZIG!’”

(**In case you were curious: FFIV, FFV, Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 3, RomaSaGa 2, RomaSaGa 3, Live-A-Live, Front Mission, Tactics Ogre, Estpolis II, Mother 2, Shin Megami Tensei, DQV, DQVI, Soul Blader, Illusion of Gaia, Tenchi Souzou, Toruneko, Fuurai No Shiren, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, Harvest Moon, Akumajou Dracula, Puyo Puyo 2, Magical Quest, Super Mario Collection, Turtles in Time, Final Fight, Super Bomberman 2)

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Replies:

user profileedit/delete message
PSN: n/a
Wii: NNID:sfried
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):The Mega Drive (Mini) Thread" , posted Tue 17 Sep 16:18:post reply

I heard that, despite being rather great given the selection, and the insane attention to detail to the point you could recreate your very own "Tower of Power", The Mega Drive/Genesis Mini is not exactly M2's finest in terms of port accuracy and quality (some minor sound/music issues and noticable input latency). What's worse, the lack of interpolation means some games can cause noticable pixel shimmering.

That said, it's still leagues better than what Sony had with its own offering. And given its robust lineup and catalogue is definitely presenting more value than what the SNES Mini had.

(Also Maou, if I recall, Super Castlevania 4 was on the SNES Mini.)

Meanwhile, NERD has been steadily getting better at this porting "game", too. (Even looking to the Super NT for some minor graphical enhancements?)

So...Sega does what NintenDid?

[this message was edited by sfried on Tue 17 Sep 17:10]

"Re(2):The Mega Drive (Mini) Thread" , posted Wed 18 Sep 03:14post reply

Wha, what's this? A sign of imperfection from our lord and savio(u)r, M2? Ah, well...42 games was a lot of games to port, and ...

Let me try again. Just like a fundamentalist who's presented with 250 million year old dinosaur fossils and retcons them into 6000 year old leviathans, I have hereby retroactively remembered all those issues as having been there in the original MD release, as well!

I do look forward to going through every one of these games when my MD Mini arrives in the mail and reporting, hopefully with all of you! As a Lunar/Game Arts zealot, I'm super-excited to have a working copy of Alisia Dragoon, and anyone who comes into my house is going to be forced to play Gunstar Heroes straight through to the end, every time.

NOW TELL ME YOUR MEGA DRIVE STORIES

(and sfried, we're both right: Dracula is not in the SFC Mini but is in the SNES Mini, likely reflecting the series' much greater popularity abroad...kind of like...the MD!)

neo0r0chiaku
523th Post

PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: N/A
CFN: n/a
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):The Mega Drive (Mini) Thread" , posted Wed 18 Sep 09:35post reply

quote:
Wha, what's this? A sign of imperfection from our lord and savio(u)r, M2? Ah, well...42 games was a lot of games to port, and ...

Let me try again. Just like a fundamentalist who's presented with 250 million year old dinosaur fossils and retcons them into 6000 year old leviathans, I have hereby retroactively remembered all those issues as having been there in the original MD release, as well!

I do look forward to going through every one of these games when my MD Mini arrives in the mail and reporting, hopefully with all of you! As a Lunar/Game Arts zealot, I'm super-excited to have a working copy of Alisia Dragoon, and anyone who comes into my house is going to be forced to play Gunstar Heroes straight through to the end, every time.

NOW TELL ME YOUR MEGA DRIVE STORIES

(and sfried, we're both right: Dracula is not in the SFC Mini but is in the SNES Mini, likely reflecting the series' much greater popularity abroad...kind of like...the MD!)

Well, I ordered but planned to keep it as a collection. If I play it, I may spend to much time with the no time I have. If it was handheld, yes. But The games are addicting! Sorry wont have a review.

Long Live I AM!

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):The Mega Drive (Mini) Thread" , posted Wed 18 Sep 12:28post reply

I don't have anything to contribute regarding this MegaDrive mini, but since good Maou asked for old stories, there I go.

While I've always been (and always will be) a Nintendo man, I have really fond memories of swapping consoles with a friend for a couple of weeks when I was a kid, and being able to play Aladdin, Shinobi 3, Shadow Dancer, Sonic (I always liked 1 better than 2 for some reason), Duck Tales and, above all, every entry on the Streets of Rage series. I love Final Fight with a passion, but Bare Knuckle and its music from another world will always have a place in my heart.

My console-swapping friend, on the other hand, always spent all of his Super Nintendo time playing Legend of Zelda, as any sensible person would do.

A Talking about Japanese History sword in hand

"Re(5):The Mega Drive (Mini) Thread" , posted Wed 23 Oct 14:06post reply

I bet you thought I forgot about this thread! ...Well, maybe I did, but I was nowhere near a TV to hook up this glorious little system until recently, so!

The hardware: it's so...mini! Very cute. Much has been made of how the original designer was called in to do this one, which explains the loving details like the (pointless (but essential)) movable headphone volume switch and cartridge slot. The removable expansion port cover to connect the non-existent-but-desperately-needed Mega CD Mini pains me.

That menu: as Spoon noted ages ago, the Koshiro Yuuzou music that cheerfully greets you on startup is perfect, with all the right beats that sound just like they're about to segue into Dreams Come True bassist Nakamura Masato's Sonic 1 and 2 soundtracks until they don't. It's a thoughtful touch that changing the language to English transforms all the box art to the super-shitty American versions, which I'm sure will be nostalgic for someone, somewhere.

The games: a friend and I zipped through the never-released Tetris port (whatever), Sonic 2 (platformers are somehow harder on larger TV screens now), Musha Aleste (outstanding as always) and Gunstar Heroes (ditto). With a super early 1990 release like Musha Aleste, we were impressed by how much was going on screen without any slowdown. Going beyond Sega of America's marketing about imaginary magic processors, arcade-style games always did seem to shine on this much weaker system compared to the SFC, and I wonder why. With a game this early, it can't even that that people had learned to use the hardware better after some time. How is this happening?

You bet your @$$ I'll be constantly resurrecting this thread like Dracula as I slowly do decades-overdue playthroughs of treasures like Alisia Dragoon, Phantasy Star IV, Langrisser II, Landstalker, and Thor, all with regular Puyo Puyo 2 breaks. Goodbye, other video games!