Only registered users may post messages
Want to register ?
Re(7):The Mega Drive (Mini) Thread
forgot your password ?
or view all icons
[QUOTE]1. No loading Time. Emulation needs to run games with no loading time......ever. Does it really make since to have loading times in games? I mean even in this day in age, there is still loading times. i thought it would be dead this decade. Even cartridge games like DS and Switch have load times. That is extremely weird. I am not a tech guy when it comes to loading so maybe someone can fill me in on why its necessary to have loading time. Did the Playstation Mini have loading times in the games?[/QUOTE] If you mean to ask why loading times still exist for modern games, that is because larger and more complex games continue to increase not only the amount of data that must be moved and processed, but can also increase how often data must be moved. Data transfer may be fast, but it isn't instantaneous. Even your Switch is loading data from cart to (often faster) internal memory, but the loading itself takes time. Then you have compressed data, and caching, and texture data to pass to the GPU, and... In regards to why you may want to retain loading times for emulation, that is because things may start to break if you significantly reduce or remove load times. If the load time is from the system processing data, then the only way to speed it up is to speed up the emulation of the system itself. Basically, to activate a fast-forward function during loading. But how do you determine when to start fast-forwarding and when to stop? You obviously don't want to fast-forward the regular gameplay, but an emulator isn't going to know what is gameplay and what isn't. Note that it is possible to safely shortcut some set-up loading with save states. I'm pretty sure some commercial emulation packages do this to skip boot up sequences in some arcade titles. Particularly, this is how I assume games like the PC port of Twinkle Star Sprites was handled. TSS has a modern PC menu "wrapper" around the emulated gameplay, and pressing to button to play will jump you straight into the emulated game (even skipping the "How To Play" instructions); I assume this is done by loading a save state while tweaking any necessary values to fit whatever set-up is necessary. If the load time is from a physically slow data transfer, such as a CD drive, then it is a different story. Indeed, an emulator coder would have to go through additional effort to "emulate" slower load times. The potential issue with eliminating this kind of load time is that games were sometimes coded with the expectation that this load time would be present. 98% of games might have zero issue with such load times eliminated, while the remaining 2% have anything from minor to fatal issues.
Delete? To delete this post, check this box.
Delete subthread too ? To delete all replies to your message, check this box (currently disabled)
include your profile signature.
in this post.