Original message (594 Views )
chazumaru
1888th Post

user profileedit/delete message
Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"RANDOM GAMES! #35: Super E3 Odyssey" , posted Sun 11 Jun 02:20post reply

Previous topic:
>>RANDOM GAMES! #34

Probably a good idea to begin a brand new topic before the first E3 conference begins in a few hours.

Here is the schedule.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Replies:
chazumaru
1889th Post

"Re(1):RANDOM GAMES! #35: Super E3 Odyssey" , posted Sun 11 Jun 11:06post reply

Bloodstained
A Way Out
Ace Combat 7
SW Battlefront 2
Battlefield 1: Russian Army DLC
Need for Speed Payback

Même Narumi est épatée !

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):RANDOM GAMES!: Super Dracula Odyssey" , posted Sun 11 Jun 11:25post reply

quote:
Bloodstained
Hmm! While it's hard for me to get excited about 2.5D Dracula-ing that basically looks like the Dracula X Chronicles, I do appreciate the seeming reappearance of real-life blood-bathing countess Elizabeth Bathory, last seen in Vampire Killer/Bloodlines. Maybe it will come down to game design: while the endless legion (!) of Metroidvania clones include some that will look better than Iga's newest, very few are actually as well laid-out as his.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

"Re(3):RANDOM GAMES!: Super Dracula Odyssey" , posted Sun 11 Jun 14:09post reply

Bioware's new IP

Vaguely Attack on Titan inspired?

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(4):RANDOM GAMES!: Super Dracula Odyssey" , posted Mon 12 Jun 07:18post reply

Even though I'm certain it will turn into multiplayer garbage I'm curious about SW Battlefront 2. If they give me just a bit of single player content it might be worth it when the game is 50-60% off a month after it's released.

quote:
Hmm! While it's hard for me to get excited about 2.5D Dracula-ing that basically looks like the Dracula X Chronicles, I do appreciate the seeming reappearance of real-life blood-bathing countess Elizabeth Bathory, last seen in Vampire Killer/Bloodlines.

Liz's fire hose blood spray and umbrella action is quite the sight. Now I hope there is a Dark Metamorphosis spell in the game so I can sponge up the blood she's throwing around for health points. Not only do I want a ridiculous number of ways to beat the bosses I want several that are straight-up ridiculous.

quote:
Bioware's new IP

Vaguely Attack on Titan inspired?

I'm... cautiously optimistic? Hopefully we will hear more about the game soon.

Speaking of Bioware, the post-mortem on Mass Effect Andromeda's still warm corpse was a fascinating, frustrating read. The game taking far too long to find an identity is bad enough, but EA's response after the sales figures came in was particularly brutal. That fighting game franchises are allowed to have a clunker of an entry now and again seems very generous in comparison.

GekigangerV
1984th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
CFN: n/a

"Re(2):Xbox One X odds and ends" , posted Tue 13 Jun 01:52post reply

Microsoft official revealed the Xbox One X, which was going around as code name Scorpio before.

Specifications compared to all the other consoles out there

I dunno if it is just me, but I just can't get excited for Xbox One after Scalebound was cancelled.

The $500 price tag is also a tough pill to swallow too.

There are small thing here and there that are nice like

Original Xbox game backward compatibility

I still play X-Men Legends 1 and 2, The Punisher and Hulk Ultimate Destruction every few years, but I just use those on my 360.

Terry Crews in is Crackdown 3

I love Terry in Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but not enough to get an Xbox One. I played a bit of Crackdown 1 on the 360, I don't recall disliking it. I think I just got bored after a while.

The game also looks dated in animation and building geometry and flat textures.

Cuphead is finally coming out in September

But it is also coming out to Steam as well.

I think I am just waiting for a sale for a new $200 Vanilla Xbox One because I just want to get Rare Replay and Killer Instinct.

quote:
Bloodstained
A Way Out

Bloodstained looks pretty cool to me. I wonder if we will be seeing some of these assets for over a decade as well.

Mosquiton
2299th Post

"Xbone-X? Xbonx?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 04:15:post reply

quote:
Microsoft official revealed the Xbox One X, which was going around as code name Scorpio before.

I dunno if it is just me, but I just can't get excited for Xbox One after Scalebound was cancelled.

I still play X-Men Legends 1 and 2, The Punisher and Hulk Ultimate Destruction every few years, but I just use those on my 360.

Yeah, I was kind of looking for an excuse to consider adopting another Xbox (the 360 was IMO the clear winner over the PS3, though I had both). But I didn't find it here. And that price is... well, it's not super appealing. Scalebound did kind of tempt me at first, but it was already looking disappointing for me before it was cancelled.

Anthem does look kind of cool, but my friends were already on the Destiny train and I don't know if they'll get off (I burned out on the game pretty quickly). For now, though, too pricy and not enough to really get me interested.

Edit: I know that Microsoft must have imagined how people would abbreviate the new console name. For the Xbox One, I can't imagine they didn't have delusional fantasies of people call it "The One" (as if their console was goddamn Neo). For the new one, maybe they were hoping for "X" (also never going to happen) or "XBX" (I think that one's possible). But I imagine most people would probably just call it "The new Xbox."

Still, I welcome anyone else to use my preferred term, "Xbonx." It has a certain ring to it right?

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Tue 13 Jun 04:24]

nobinobita
1824th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Xbone-X? Xbonx?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 04:50:post reply

quote:

Yeah, I was kind of looking for an excuse to consider adopting another Xbox (the 360 was IMO the clear winner over the PS3, though I had both). But I didn't find it here. And that price is... well, it's not super appealing. Scalebound did kind of tempt me at first, but it was already looking disappointing for me before it was cancelled.

Anthem does look kind of cool, but my friends were already on the Destiny train and I don't know if they'll get off (I burned out on the game pretty quickly). For now, though, too pricy and not enough to really get me interested.

Edit: I know that Microsoft must have imagined how people would abbreviate the new console name. For the Xbox One, I can

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

What does the "X" in "Xbox One X" stand for?

Is it a reference to Direct X?

Or ... does it stand for Xbox??? That would be so great. Like Rictus from Fury Road screaming his own name as he goes out in a blaze of glory because his own name is the most bad ass thing he can imagine.

quote:
Still, I welcome anyone else to use my preferred term, "Xbonx." It has a certain ring to it right?

You got my vote!

Xbone and Xbork are also sufficient!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 13 Jun 05:01]

Lord SNK

242th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Xbone-X? Xbonx?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 06:47post reply

XBox One X = XBOX

Mosquiton
2300th Post

"Re(3):Xbone-X? Xbonx?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 07:47:post reply

quote:
XBox One X = XBOX

But Xbox one X = Xbonx.

As in "We are pleased to announce a new Bonk's Adventure, exclusively... for Xbonx."

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Tue 13 Jun 07:47]

"Re(4):Xbone-X? Xbonx?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 10:09post reply

quote:
XBox One X = XBOX
But Xbox one X = Xbonx.

This is superior E3 coverage to anywhere I could imagine. Keep it coming!

...Bonk for Xbonx could be the most important mascot character-console bundle since Super Mario Bros. 1.

nobinobita
1825th Post

"Re(5):Xbone-X? Xbonx?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 15:52post reply

quote:
XBox One X = XBOX
But Xbox one X = Xbonx.
This is superior E3 coverage to anywhere I could imagine. Keep it coming!

...Bonk for Xbonx could be the most important mascot character-console bundle since Super Mario Bros. 1.

"Xbox VR exclusive Game Causes Widespread Whiplash!"

(sign me up!)

www.art-eater.com
nobinobita
1827th Post

"Monster Hunter World" , posted Tue 13 Jun 16:11:post reply

They did it! They finally did it! A current gen console Monster Hunter!

What's more, it seems to be taking even more cues from (the criminally underrated) Lost Planet 2! Look at that grappling hook!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro6r15wzp2o

The giant miniguns on the other hand, that might be taking things a bit too far, but hey the game still looks awesome!

I hope this gamble pays off for em. This is exactly the kind of thing I want from Capcom!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 13 Jun 16:24]

PSN: n/a
Wii: NNID:sfried
Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Monster Hunter World" , posted Tue 13 Jun 16:22post reply

quote:

What's more, it seems to be taking even more cues from (the criminally underrated) Lost Planet 2! Look at that grappling hook!

I'm not so sure if I also want the giant miniguns from Monster Hunter, but hey beggars can't be choosers. Especially with a game looking this promising!

I hope this gamble pays off for em. This is exactly the kind of thing I want from Capcom!

Seems the 4chan rumors about a split Monster Hunter base with World being the "Westernized" MH Sony wanted while the original team who worked on Generations and XX would continue with a numbered sequel for Nintendo platforms (and subsequently caused an internal strife in Capcom) was deemed correct.

nobinobita
1827th Post

"Re(2):Monster Hunter World" , posted Tue 13 Jun 16:27post reply

quote:

I'm not so sure if I also want the giant miniguns from Monster Hunter, but hey beggars can't be choosers. Especially with a game looking this promising!

Seems the 4chan rumors about a split Monster Hunter base with World being the "Westernized" MH Sony wanted while the original team who worked on Generations and XX would continue with a numbered sequel for Nintendo platforms (and subsequently caused an internal strife in Capcom) was deemed correct.

So far the game doesn't look to be westernised in any cringey, contrived way. The monsters still look great. The animation and action look great. The main characters haven't all been turned into bearded white guys. There ... is a minigun though. lol. But maybe that's one of the new weapons in the later versions of Monster Hunter that I haven't kept up with?

www.art-eater.com

"Re(2):Super Mario XCOM World" , posted Tue 13 Jun 16:38post reply

...oh yeah, then there's this thing. At first I thought the idea was utterly stupid, just based on the images from the leaks, but then I watched how it played, and suddenly had an increasing urge to play it. Now I wish they'd release a demo somewhere.

"Re(4):Xbone-X? Xbonx?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 22:44post reply

Monster Hunter World looks great! When I have tried MH games in the past I felt they were a bit more clunky than they needed to be and it was mostly due to sentimental attachment to mechanics from previous games. Here's hoping this semi-forced streamlining will let the game become even more impressive. Invoking the feeling of Lost Planet 2 -a game I loved more than I should- is a good first step.

quote:
XBox One X = XBOX

But Xbox one X = Xbonx.

As in "We are pleased to announce a new Bonk's Adventure, exclusively... for Xbonx."

It's Xbox to the nth degree so it's Xbonx. I'm now looking forward to the next console where they go all in and name it Xbxoxx.

"Metroid and Metroid" , posted Wed 14 Jun 06:48post reply

How long has it been since a new Metroid title was announced?

How long has it been since a conference saw the announcement of TWO Metroid titles?

One for the 3DS, evidently a remake of the GB Metroid 2,

One for the Switch

nobinobita
1829th Post

"Re(1):Metroid and Metroid" , posted Wed 14 Jun 16:02:post reply

quote:
How long has it been since a new Metroid title was announced?

How long has it been since a conference saw the announcement of TWO Metroid titles?

One for the 3DS, evidently a remake of the GB Metroid 2,

One for the Switch

Glad to see Samus back in action! I loved Metroid Prime! That was one of the only First Person Shooters that I ever got into. For me it was the first FPS to make jumping and exploration in general feel really good. Also, if I recall correctly, it was one of the first 3d games where the environments felt really organic. You didn't feel like everything was on a grid. I hope part IV is good! (I didn't really get into any of the subsequent Prime games).

My one minor gripe about modern Metroid: [url=]Samus' suit is too elegant and feminine now! [url=]She was much cooler as a big bruiser.

hmmmm the more I look at it the more the new design bugs me ... her head is way too small and her shoulders have lost their iconic circular shapes. They're just standard quarter circle pauldrons now. I don't get this redesign. They're just chipping away at everything that makes Samus iconic and memorable.

*edit*
I am a bad fan. I forgot that you usually start off Metroid games without your full suit. I think once she gets her full Varia Suit she'll look much cooler.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 14 Jun 16:20]

Lord SNK

243th Post

Frequent Customer

"13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim" , posted Thu 15 Jun 04:33post reply

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim new trailer!

"Re(1): Sushi Striker!" , posted Thu 15 Jun 07:26post reply

w-wuuuut?

"Re(1):13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim" , posted Thu 15 Jun 08:34post reply

quote:
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim new trailer!

Hummmm! That sure looked exactly like the trailer from some time ago up until about midway through with the giant robots. While I don't much care about mecha that isn't Macross, maybe Kamitani will change my mind! Only Vanillaware's lush movement and rounded facial textures could make such a mediocre trailer somehow still feel exciting.

Neo0r0chiaku
334th Post

XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles
Bronze Customer

"Classic SNES and SEGA Forever" , posted Wed 28 Jun 11:43post reply

Super Nintendo Classic console

SEGA forever on its iOS and android

Long Live I AM!

"Re(1):Classic SNES and SEGA Forever" , posted Wed 28 Jun 13:46post reply

The only thing more amazing than the inclusion of Star Fox 2 in the SFC Classic Mini, making this probably the most collected thing ever after the Sonic 2 prototype, is the fact that Nintendo has a senior official named Doug BOWSER.

"Re(1):Classic SNES and SEGA Forever" , posted Thu 29 Jun 00:49post reply

quote:
Super Nintendo Classic console

Come to think of it, how did the games look on the NES Classic? Was anything done to help the games shift over to modern screens or were these straight ports? So much of the conversation about that console was centered on its scarcity that I never heard of anyone actually playing the fool thing.

"Re(1):Classic SNES and SEGA Forever" , posted Thu 29 Jun 17:38post reply

quote:

I'm a little wary of Sega Forever: apparently it runs on Unity, and the emulation isn't even accurate. Sega AGES it ain't.

"Re(2):Classic SNES and SEGA Forever" , posted Thu 29 Jun 22:11post reply

It seems I have not been paying attention at all. I just found out that Warriors All Stars -Koei's latest Musou game- features Oda Nobuynaga. Perhaps it's just me but this game might be a little silly.

chazumaru
1890th Post

"RPG talk" , posted Thu 20 Jul 03:56post reply

I've been a bit too busy to post on MMC recently but I wanted to draw your attention on this interesting case study: Djinn Caster, a seemingly entirely unknown RPG recently released by Kemco on iOS and Android.

I noticed this game because I am pervertly fascinated by Kemco's obscure RPG output on digital platforms, especially their collaboration with the seemingly inextinguishable Exe Create and Hit-Point to create ziillions of run-of-the-mill 16-bit style RPGs.

The art style, setting and UI of Djinn Caster were clearly not in line with the rest of their line-up and I was not so surprised to find out this game is not Japanese but developed in Indonesia, which has me suddenly quite interested in the worldview, character interactions and bestiary of the game. I figured out some of you would be interested to take a look since we often talk here about how video games (under)use Southeast Asia's cultures as an inspiration.

/////////////////

Speaking of RPGs, the always entertainingly infuriating Famitsu Top 20 Readers list.

20. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4/XBO/PC) - 72
19. Final Fantasy VIII (PS/PC) - 74
18. Final Fantasy IX (PS/PC/iOS/Android) - 75
17. MOTHER2 (SFC) - 78
16. Final Fantasy VI (SFC/PS/GBA/iOS/Android) - 81
15. Dragon Quest IV (FC/PS/DS/iOS/Android) - 82
14. Persona 4 Golden (Vita) - 90
13. Xenogears (PS) - 91
12. Final Fantasy X (PS2/PS3/PS4/Vita/PC) - 100
11. Xenoblade (Wii/3DS) - 58
10. Final Fantasy XV (PS4/XBO) - 110
09. Persona 3 (PS2/PSP) - 131
08. NieR:Replicant (PS3) - 151
07. Genso Suikoden II (PS) - 155
06. Dragon Quest V (DS/SFC/PS2/iOS/Android) - 165
05. Final Fantasy VII (PS/PS4/PC/iOS/Android) - 169
04. NieR:Automata (PS4/PS) - 177
03. Chrono Trigger (SFC/PS/DS/MOBI/iOS/Android) - 194
02. Dragon Quest III (FC/SFC/GBC/MOBI/iOS/Android) - 218
01. Persona 5 (PS4/PS3) - 256

Même Narumi est épatée !

"Re(1):RPG talk" , posted Fri 21 Jul 11:22post reply

quote:
I've been a bit too busy to post on MMC recently but I wanted to draw your attention on this interesting case study: Djinn Caster, a seemingly entirely unknown RPG recently released by Kemco on iOS and Android.

I noticed this game because I am pervertly fascinated by Kemco's obscure RPG output on digital platforms, especially their collaboration with the seemingly inextinguishable Exe Create and Hit-Point to create ziillions of run-of-the-mill 16-bit style RPGs.

The art style, setting and UI of Djinn Caster were clearly not in line with the rest of their line-up and I was not so surprised to find out this game is not Japanese but developed in Indonesia, which has me suddenly quite interested in the worldview, character interactions and bestiary of the game. I figured out some of you would be interested to take a look since we often talk here about how video games (under)use Southeast Asia's cultures as an inspiration.

/////////////////

Speaking of RPGs, the always entertainingly infuriating Famitsu Top 20 Readers list.

20. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4/XBO/PC) - 72
19. Final Fantasy VIII (PS/PC) - 74
18. Final Fantasy IX (PS/PC/iOS/Android) - 75
17. MOTHER2 (SFC) - 78
16. Final Fantasy VI (SFC/PS/GBA/iOS/Android) - 81
15. Dragon Quest IV (FC/PS/DS/iOS/Android) - 82
14. Persona 4 Golden

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Who even is Famitsu's readership these days? Fan vote placing Persona 5 at the top suggests not-40-year-olds, but the Witcher 3 even charting suggests... I have actually no idea what the demographic is in Japan that would be the main consumer of big Western RPGs, age-wise.

chazumaru
1893th Post

"Re(2):RPG talk" , posted Fri 21 Jul 11:37post reply

We don't have any data regarding Famitsu's current readership, but luckily for you we actually have rather precise data about this specific online poll!

【The survey gathered 2,295 votes, 56% from males, 43% from females (1% didn’t specify their gender). 9% of votes were in their teen years, 36% in their twenties, 37% in their thirties, 16% in their forties, and 1% in their fifties, with an additional 1% that did not identify their age. Voting was done between June 22nd and June 28th.】

Même Narumi est épatée !