nobinobita
1439th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Big Announcement from Vanillaware" , posted Fri 17 Jul 19:15post reply

Looks like Vanillaware's gonna announce their newest project in a few days:

http://atlus-vanillaware.jp/

Wonder what theme their next game will have. They've already done:

-Medieval High Fantasy (Princess Crown, Grand Knights History, Dragon's Crown)
-Nordic Mythology (Odin Sphere)
-Japanese Mythology (Oboro Muramasa)
-Harry Potter (Grim Grimoire)

George Kamitani often does Sci-Fi themed New Years cards, so maybe they'll finally go in that direction.

http://cdn3.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/vanillaware2015.jpg

http://videogam.in/images/0000001/op/vanillaware2011.jpg

I would absolutely love it if they did a game with a Chinese setting, or a Middle Eastern one. Or a game inspired by any of the the myriad cultures of Africa would be awesome too.

Since they're making the announcement from Boston (???) maybe it'll be American Revolution themed? : D

www.art-eater.com

Replies:

nobinobita
1440th Post

"Re(1):Big Announcement from Vanillaware" , posted Fri 17 Jul 19:19post reply

quote:
Looks like Vanillaware's gonna announce their newest project in a few days:

http://atlus-vanillaware.jp/

Wonder what theme their next game will have. They've already done:

-Medieval High Fantasy (Princess Crown, Grand Knights History, Dragon's Crown)
-Nordic Mythology (Odin Sphere)
-Japanese Mythology (Oboro Muramasa)
-Harry Potter (Grim Grimoire)

George Kamitani often does Sci-Fi themed New Years cards, so maybe they'll finally go in that direction.

http://cdn3.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/vanillaware2015.jpg

http://videogam.in/images/0000001/op/vanillaware2011.jpg

I would absolutely love it if they did a game with a Chinese setting, or a Middle Eastern one. Or a game inspired by any of the the myriad cultures of Africa would be awesome too.

Since they're making the announcement from Boston (???) maybe it'll be American Revolution themed? : D

Some have suggested that it's gonne be an HD Director's Cut of Odin Sphere, which I would be OK with.

Or ... maybe it's a pachislot game! :D :D TT____TT

www.art-eater.com

Ishmael
5228th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Big Announcement from Vanillaware" , posted Sat 18 Jul 03:57post reply

Is there something going on in Boston that would feature this announcement? Is Kamitani simply on vacation?

Maou
2848th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"Re(3):Big Announcement from Vanillaware" , posted Sat 18 Jul 17:17post reply

They'll broadcast it right here on Nico, so use the Cafe's redirector on that day if need be!

The little green shrub reminded me a bit of Odin's Sphere in particular, and I didn't even play that one. I'd kind of dig Princess Crown HD, but I guess they've already done that.

...but then again, Vanillaware is kind of the Gainax of games, a small but insane outfit that I would take anything from. We should have a Gainax thread. That is all.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Professor
4321th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Big Announcement from Vanillaware" , posted Sat 18 Jul 21:49post reply

quote:
They'll broadcast it right here on Nico, so use the Cafe's redirector on that day if need be!

Quick Note: Nico doesn't allow viewing of live streams even with the redirector-- for that, you really need an account. If you can't watch live, you can always hit the yellow "タイムシフト予約" button beforehand to schedule a (virtual) recording that you can view later.

Professor
4322th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced!...and more!" , posted Mon 20 Jul 23:06post reply

http://atlus-vanillaware.jp/osl/

I haven't played the original-- is this essentially a remake?

But wait, there's more!

Baines
437th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced!...and" , posted Tue 21 Jul 00:18post reply

quote:

The cutscenes seem familiar. I recognized many outright, and the rest very well could have been copied from the original game, but I won't swear that there is nothing new there. (It has been rather a long time since I've played it.)

The combat and movement sections look different. There are familiar areas and enemies, but the action looks different. I don't remember Gwendylon fighting a zeppelin, either. (Doesn't mean that she didn't, just that I don't remember it if she did.)

So, uhm, yes? It is looking like a remake. It isn't a straight port, as there are obvious changes. It looks like the changes are too much to be a "remaster". It can't be a sequel.

Which is probably good. Odin Sphere was fun when it was new, but some of its mechanics were already a bit clunky by the time you finished the game, and most likely feel more dated by now.

nobinobita
1444th Post

"Re(1):Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced!...and" , posted Tue 21 Jul 02:16post reply

quote:

But wait, there's more!

First half of the trailer showed off a lot of classic scenes in HD. Second half of the trailer showed off a surprising amount of new content including:

-New mini bosses (Giant Little Shop of Horrors plant, Oogie Boogie (from Nightmare before Xmas) looking Hades monster, Mountain Golem, Happy dude riding firebird, Dwarven Airship)
-New combos and super moves for each character
-Mercedes' segment looks like a straightup shooter now (also she can shrink?)
-Platforming elements like Muramasa (before stages were totally flat)
-Skill Trees
-More complex crafting system (looks like you can make items and not just potions?)
-New traveling Pooka Chef character

Definitely a lot more than just a port! I'm super looking forward to it!

Can't wait to see what they announce in September too! Looks like they're finally gonna get around to doing a sci-fi game!

www.art-eater.com

Iggy
9949th Post

"Re(2):Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced!...and" , posted Tue 21 Jul 02:28post reply

Leifradir

Original on PS2.
I can't get over how better the game looks, yet how good the original still looks. Vanillaware magic.

Real talk though: having stable framerate and 16:9 to see the bosses in full will do wonders to make the game more palatable.
With the amount of improvements they make on top of those, along with the Muramasa-like combat, Dragon's Crown might very well stop being "Vanillaware's only enjoyable game".

Also, the scenario is and will remain ultimate top-tier of the forever.

Toxico
5959th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(3):Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced!...and" , posted Wed 22 Jul 02:56post reply

quote:

With the amount of improvements they make on top of those, along with the Muramasa-like combat, Dragon's Crown might very well stop being "Vanillaware's only enjoyable game".

Hmm, I had steeled myself to enjoy either a remake or a new project, but I would have never have been bold enough to dream about (apparently) getting those two wishes fulfilled at the same time.

Also, the fact that after Muramasa we got yet another remake makes me hopeful that Vanillaware is going to (eventually) leave no title without getting HD love. Hell, perhaps eventually even Dragon's Crown might get revisited with an expanded port rleased on more plataforms; we are only 8 years away

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

Iggy
9951th Post

"Re(4):Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced!...and" , posted Wed 22 Jul 04:31post reply

quote:
Hell, perhaps eventually even Dragon's Crown might get revisited with an expanded port rleased on more plataforms; we are only 8 years away

I'm still surprised that Dragon's Crown didn't get a DLC with a couple of characters and dungeons. It would have sold so much...
Or at least a PC port.
Hopefully not in 8 years...

Zepy
1669th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced!...and" , posted Wed 22 Jul 11:04post reply

quote:

But wait, there's more!

I'm ecstatic about this

I love Odin's Sphere much more than anything Vanillaware has ever done

nobinobita
1448th Post

"Re(2):Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced!...and" , posted Wed 22 Jul 22:47post reply

quote:

But wait, there's more!

I'm ecstatic about this

I love Odin's Sphere much more than anything Vanillaware has ever done

Here's 13 minutes of gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htsy4hF4sAk&feature=youtu.be

The combat is totally revamped. This is basically a new game!

www.art-eater.com

Toxico
5961th Post

"Re(3):Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced!...and" , posted Tue 4 Aug 18:18post reply

Hmm,I have been waiting for this!, Kamitani can really show so much character in just a single image.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Maou
2860th Post

"Re(4):Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced!...and" , posted Wed 5 Aug 23:07post reply

quote:
Hmm,I have been waiting for this!
Yeah!

I might buy it just for the wonderful illustration (s). I wish Vanillaware had the cash to print a full run of artbooks that expand on the preorder bonus book's range.

I love the rueful look on the drunk Knight's face and how stylishly bored Sorceress and Amazon look, just like the most professional bar patrons.

GekigangerV
1914th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"grimgrimoire sale on PSN" , posted Thu 6 Aug 00:09post reply

Grimgrimoire is on sale on the American PSN this week for just $4 ($3 if you have PS+).

Just thought I would throw it in this thread since it was active/slightly related.

HokutoAndy
92th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):grimgrimoire sale on PSN" , posted Thu 6 Aug 17:49post reply

quote:
Grimgrimoire is on sale on the American PSN this week for just $4 ($3 if you have PS+).

Just thought I would throw it in this thread since it was active/slightly related.

That's another title that would be neat for Vanillaware to revisit. Not very many 2D sidecrolling RTS's out there

exodus
4354th Post

"honk" , posted Tue 11 Aug 04:17post reply

I told kamitani he should hire someone else to do level design and he hasn't talked to me since.

that's my contribution to this thread!

Spoon
3008th Post

"Re(2):grimgrimoire sale on PSN" , posted Tue 11 Aug 06:25post reply

quote:

That's another title that would be neat for Vanillaware to revisit. Not very many 2D sidecrolling RTS's out there

I don't know, aren't there actually a ton of Flash-based light-strategy games in which you've got a single lane where the two armies are pushing each other? Metal Slug Defense is one of them, there's that old line of Flash games called Epic Wars or something like that which is descended from something else and has its own derivative works. Same with those "defend your castle/base/etc" games (that are not tower defense games)? That doesn't mean that those games are at all good, or that they have substantial platforming elements, though.

HokutoAndy
95th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):grimgrimoire sale on PSN" , posted Tue 11 Aug 16:46post reply

quote:
That doesn't mean that those games are at all good, or that they have substantial platforming elements, though.

Battle Cats is fun. Though a large part of it is how fortunate you are with gatcha draws, I got the Jotaro cat early on and it's oraoraora'ing away mobs.

Yeah, in the sense that there's actually a platforming element, moving around capturing resource points, things like that. What they did with the multiple levels and dragons crawling around is really cool.

Professor
4350th Post

MMCafe Owner

"New game '13 Kihei Bou-ei-ken' unveil at TGS?" , posted Thu 10 Sep 19:14:post reply

The TGS page for Sega reportedly contained a leak in its source code that Vanillaware and Atlus will unveil a new PS4/Vita game at the show named 十三機兵防衛圏 (13 Kihei Bou-ei-ken, which roughly translates as "13 Mech Soldier Defense Zone").

If the reports are true (source seems to be fixed), Vanillaware's new years greeting card from 2013 shows a glimpse of what the game may look like.

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/imageboard/file/0329131a.jpg

So this must be what the trailer was for.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 10 Sep 19:28]

nobinobita
1464th Post

"Re(1):New game '13 Kihei Bou-ei-ken' unveil a" , posted Tue 15 Sep 17:24:post reply

quote:
The TGS page for Sega reportedly contained a leak in its source code that Vanillaware and Atlus will unveil a new PS4/Vita game at the show named 十三機兵防衛圏 (13 Kihei Bou-ei-ken, which roughly translates as "13 Mech Soldier Defense Zone").

If the reports are true (source seems to be fixed), Vanillaware's new years greeting card from 2013 shows a glimpse of what the game may look like.

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/imageboard/file/0329131a.jpg

So this must be what the trailer was for.

First screens from the game have been released!

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/15/13-sentinel-aegis-rim-is-vanillawares-new-mecha-game/

This is the first time that one of George Kamitani's New Years images has actually crystalized into an actual game!

Looks beautiful as expected! They are going full on Makoto Shinkai with the backgrounds! (and I mean this as the highest compliment, that dude is the closest thing to a modern Vermeer).

The mecha looks interesting. Very 80s live action feeling. Like something out of Gunhed or Space Truckers or Robot Jocks[/url. I LOVE IT!

I wonder how the game will play.

UPDATE:
HERES THE FIRST TRAILER. IM UNSPEAKABLY EXCITED.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV_RfdxpVOU&feature=youtu.be
MUCH OF THE GAME IS ACTUALLY 3D BUT I DONT GIVE A FUUUUU**** IT LOOKS GODDAMN AMAZING.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 15 Sep 17:41]

Professor
4355th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):New game '13 Kihei Bou-ei-ken' unveil a" , posted Tue 15 Sep 18:05post reply

quote:
UPDATE:
HERES THE FIRST TRAILER. IM UNSPEAKABLY EXCITED.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV_RfdxpVOU&feature=youtu.be
MUCH OF THE GAME IS ACTUALLY 3D BUT I DONT GIVE A FUUUUU**** IT LOOKS GODDAMN AMAZING.

AMAZING! It's about time that I get a PS4!
This is a perfect example of awesome 2D fused with 3D.

Wish KOF14 had been in a same quality too, the graphics are such a stark contrast.

Ishmael
5275th Post

"Re(3):New game '13 Kihei Bou-ei-ken' unveil a" , posted Fri 18 Sep 01:30post reply

The early designs certainly are lovely. Still, I'm going to hold off letting myself get too excited until I know how the game plays. Right now the game looks like a hallway walking simulator -BTW, if that was a game genre Kamitani would be killer at it- but it could easily go off in any number of directions. Please, please let this game be as fun as it is visually impressive.

Iggy
9995th Post

"Re(4):New game '13 Kihei Bou-ei-ken' unveil a" , posted Sun 27 Sep 00:15post reply

Apparently, George is producer/director of 13 something something, while he's "only" producer of the Odin Sphere remake.

Also, 13 [...] still has a long way to go, so we'll need to be patient. How long did it take for Dragon's Crown? 3 years? More?

Maou
2916th Post

"New Dragon's Crown artbook+CD+Juan" , posted Sun 4 Oct 14:07:post reply

Holy Morgan, I'd somehow never noticed during the announcement earlier this year of a 3-disc Dragon's Crown soundtrack that a proper artbook is coming out, too! The preorder artbook was great, but there's just so much art for this game, and since this will allegedly include not only the original design artwork but pieces produced for the magazines and "all other work" that comprises the series, I assume it's not just a reprint. Meta-question: will the new artbook have the new art from the soundtrack cover?!

Release near the end of November for both. Order from ebten and you can get one of six keychains based on the in-game Skill Cards, the only unattractive art in the entire game. For some reason.

But! Pre-order both in a pack from ebten and there's more stuff: an A2 hanging poster of the artbook's cover (which we haven't seen yet), a microfiber cloth version of the marvelous new soundtrack cover art, and a 3-card A5-sized set of daring, sexy-scary new works (HEY JUAN look Morgan is kissing a skellington) in the in-game Treasure Art style. Oh, and a fired pottery mug from the Dragon's Heaven Pub. Maybe it will actually look like a real old-time mug!

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 4 Oct 14:32]

Ishmael
5284th Post

"Re(1):New Dragon's Crown artbook+CD+Juan" , posted Mon 5 Oct 02:43post reply

I want that art book! If there was ever a game that needed a memento of its art design its Dragon's Crown.

Maese
784th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):New Dragon's Crown artbook+CD+Juan" , posted Mon 5 Oct 14:04:post reply

quote:
Holy Morgan, I'd somehow never noticed during the announcement earlier this year of a 3-disc Dragon's Crown soundtrack that a proper artbook is coming out, too! The preorder artbook was great, but there's just so much art for this game, and since this will allegedly include not only the original design artwork but pieces produced for the magazines and "all other work" that comprises the series, I assume it's not just a reprint. Meta-question: will the new artbook have the new art from the soundtrack cover?!

Release near the end of November for both. Order from ebten and you can get one of six keychains based on the in-game Skill Cards, the only unattractive art in the entire game. For some reason.

But! Pre-order both in a pack from ebten and there's more stuff: an A2 hanging poster of the artbook's cover (which we haven't seen yet), a microfiber cloth version of the marvelous new soundtrack cover art, and a 3-card A5-sized set of daring, sexy-scary new works (HEY JUAN look Morgan is kissing a skellington) in the in-game Treasure Art style. Oh, and a fired pottery mug from the Dragon's Heaven Pub. Maybe it will actually look like a real old-time mug!

Holy cow! Those A5 card prints look AMAZING! Kamitani's rendition of Hylas and the Nymphs is particularly impressive. The other prints are also based on classical art as well, and all of them look classy as hell, but I can't recall the exact sources right now. Anyway, let's take cover guys: Nobi's head is gonna explode when he sees this!

EDIT: I've just noticed that the sirens illustration is not actually Kamitani's work, but it's still gorgeous nonetheless. I'd gladly put that on a frame on my living room.

[this message was edited by Maese on Mon 5 Oct 14:08]

nobinobita
1472th Post

"Re(2):New Dragon's Crown artbook+CD+Juan" , posted Mon 5 Oct 14:34:post reply

quote:

Holy cow! Those A5 card prints look AMAZING! Kamitani's rendition of [URL

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Maou! Thanks so much for sharing that! This is such great news! Something to really look forward to!

Maese, thanks for the shout out haha. I am indeed over the moon with those classic painting references! You are a man of refined tastes, spotting the John William Waterhouse homage. I will gladly identify the other two.

The Roland and the Harpy is based off of Oedipus and the Sphinx by Gustave Moreau.

Death and Morgan is based off of Death and the Woman, by Hans Baldung. (this one has the most flattering makeover of the 3 haha)

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 5 Oct 14:38]

Maou
2916th Post

"Re(3):New Dragon's Crown artbook+CD+Juan" , posted Mon 5 Oct 14:47post reply

Get ready, kids, any moment some Victorian regressive-"progressive" dipshit on the English-speaking internet is going to start complaining that the Morgan picture is sexist and misogynistic. My only hope is that most of the "writers" at Kotaku continue not to be able to speak other languages and never hear about this.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Sad fact: I didn't recognize the paintings at first either. Maybe I'm just as bad.
.......nah.

End of Spoiler

nobinobita
1474th Post

"Re(4):New Dragon's Crown artbook+CD+Juan" , posted Mon 5 Oct 14:58:post reply

quote:
Get ready, kids, any moment some Victorian regressive-"progressive" dipshit on the English-speaking internet is going to start complaining that the Morgan picture is sexist and misogynistic. My only hope is that most of the "writers" at Kotaku continue not to be able to speak other languages and never hear about this.

It's OK! George Kamitani and crew are such positive people. They can take it! If anything all the hot headed writing on the subject is just more press for their work. Dragon's Crown was their best selling game ever after all :D

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 5 Oct 19:23]

Spoon
3079th Post

"Re(3):New Dragon's Crown artbook+CD+Juan" , posted Tue 6 Oct 03:02:post reply

quote:
Oedipus and The Harpy

Looking up the wikipedia entry for this painting, one of Ingres' contemporaries gave this accolade:

"like a pastiche of Mantegna created by a German student who relaxes from his painting by reading Schopenhauer".

This is exactly the kind of delightful kind of artistic criticism that is so often parodied that I seldom encounter real examples of it. But really, all of those tribute paintings are delightful.

quote:
regressive-"progressive"

Maou, have you heard of an anime called Shimoneta?

It's mostly silly stuff, but its premise is a Japan so puritanical that the majority of its population doesn't even know what the function of sex organs are, and NSA-style surveillance automatically catches even the communication of such things. One of the final moments of the series is actually very powerful: a huge cache of statues from across time periods and cultures, all depicting naked forms, is found. The people who find it have been deeply involved in spreading dirty jokes and lowbrow/bawdy material for the whole series, but upon finding this cache, they treat it reverently. When asked later by people not in on their "illegal" activities if they found anything terrible/disgusting at the cache, the group replies unironically that there was nothing in any way disgusting there.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Tue 6 Oct 03:05]

Maou
2918th Post

"Re(4):New Dragon's Crown artbook+CD+Juan" , posted Tue 6 Oct 03:16:post reply

quote:
Shimoneta
I haven't watched any new TV stuff for years, Lupin excepted (I'd better tend to that other thread this week), but this sounds superb. In the end, Nobi's right, Kamitani and friends wouldn't even crack a frown at the philistines, and I shouldn't either.

...I still don't really need this hanging poster, though. Anyone want to go in and share the mug?

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 6 Oct 03:35]

jUAN
4587th Post

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: WiiU:Buttermonster

"Re(1):New Dragon's Crown artbook+CD+Juan" , posted Tue 6 Oct 05:29:post reply

(HEY JUAN look Morgan is kissing a skellington)

It is a well documented fact that skeletons are massive jerks, so there is foul play going on there for sure. It's like the moment you lose all your flesh and get a case of being dead turns you into a different person

I was also worried that all the click baity stuff would mess with their work, but like Nobi mentioned they are just doing their own thing as usual. The new art book is great news. I hope it is HUEG

[this message was edited by jUAN on Tue 6 Oct 05:33]

Mosquiton
2073th Post

"Re(3):New Dragon's Crown artbook+CD+Juan" , posted Tue 6 Oct 06:50:post reply

quote:
Maou! Thanks so much for sharing that! This is such great news! Something to really look forward to!

Maese, thanks for the shout out haha. I am indeed over the moon with those classic painting references! You are a man of refined tastes, spotting the John William Waterhouse homage. I will gladly identify the other two.

The Roland and the Harpy is based off of Oedipus and the Sphinx by Gustave Moreau.

Death and Morgan is based off of Death and the Woman, by Hans Baldung. (this one has the most flattering makeover of the 3 haha)

Ah, I was too late to point out the connection to the Moreau painting. Big props to Maese for beating the Art Jeopardy! champ Nobi to the buzzer. The homages are indeed quite lovely, and I totally agree that Death and Morgan by the lady-loving Kamitani is an obvious upgrade from the (potentially) woman-hating* Baldung's Death and the Woman.

But man, I love me some Gustave Moreau. I've been lucky to see a few of his works in person. If I ever make it out to Paris I will definitely stop by that guy's house to check out the few thousand works they have there. I would like to see Jupiter and Semele in person at some point in my lifetime.

* - Maybe I should give old Hans the benefit of the doubt... maybe his renderings of women and witches were simply a reflection of attitudes at the time. Who knows what he was thinking? Not a huge fan of his work, at any rate.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Tue 6 Oct 07:37]

Maese
784th Post

"Re(4):New Dragon's Crown artbook+CD+Juan" , posted Tue 6 Oct 11:21post reply

quote:

Ah, I was too late to point out the connection to the Moreau painting. Big props to Maese for beating the Art Jeopardy! champ Nobi to the buzzer. The homages are indeed quite lovely, and I totally agree that Death and Morgan by the lady-loving Kamitani is an obvious upgrade from the (potentially) woman-hating* Baldung's Death and the Woman.

But man, I love me some Gustave Moreau. I've been lucky to see a few of his works in person. If I ever make it out to Paris I will definitely stop by that guy's house to check out the few thousand works they have there. I would like to see Jupiter and Semele in person at some point in my lifetime.

* - Maybe I should give old Hans the benefit of the doubt... maybe his renderings of women and witches were simp

One of the things that make the Cafe such a great place is that you guys are capable of recognizing even the most obscure artistic references and homages at first sight. Dear gentlemen, you rock really hard.

Maou
2949th Post

"Artbook cover revealed, sells on November 30!" , posted Thu 29 Oct 06:53post reply

News that's just in time for Halloween! Dragon's Crown artbook sales now start at various shops on November 30!

The new art for the cover features the three goddesses prancing around with the Ancient Dragon, which is wonderful. I see it's now announced to contain not only the Treasure Art, magazine promo art, and limited edition art (i.e. the bonus artbook, I assume), but also the in-game art from where the A route/B route splits. I guess the chained spirit won't make suggestive sounds in paper form, more's the pity.

Other new pictures: the fired pottery mug from the ebten Sountrack+Artbook pack is...not bad! Not as rustic as I'd hoped, but it sure does have the Dragon's Heaven Pub logo on it!

Maou
2952th Post

"Re(1):Artbook cover revealed, sells on Novemb" , posted Tue 3 Nov 14:22:post reply

D-d-double post! Not only does the Dragon's Crown artbook have a proper cover and sample images, the Odin's Sphere port now has footage of Gwendolyn in action!

Also, it's coming out a lot sooner than I remembered! I don't recall if this was up before, but there is an unfathomably large variety of pre-order items, from digital wallpaper to hanging scrolls to postcards, from the various shops.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 3 Nov 14:25]

Spoon
3119th Post

"Re(2):Artbook cover revealed, sells on Novemb" , posted Tue 3 Nov 14:55post reply

quote:
D-d-double post! Not only does the Dragon's Crown artbook have a proper cover and sample images, the Odin's Sphere port now has footage of Gwendolyn in action!

Wow, she has an awful lot of new moves. Gwendolyn, in spite of having a great scenario, was for me by far the least fun character to actually use, so it makes me wonder what they've done with the others. It'd be a shame for them to not receive an equal level of improvement.

Well, I'm totally okay with Yggdrasil just machine gunning everything down like she did in the original. The infinite stamina/ammo potion was just hilarious on her.

Maou
2952th Post

"Re(3):Artbook cover revealed, sells on Novemb" , posted Tue 3 Nov 15:23post reply

quote:

Wow, she has an awful lot of new moves. Gwendolyn, in spite of having a great scenario, was for me by far the least fun character to actually use, so it makes me wonder what they've done with the others.
Good man! My second-most embarrassing gaming secret after never playing Zelda or Metroid properly is owning Odin's Sphere from day one but never playing it. (Boooo, hiss.) I decided that my sins are self-absolved due to my buying Dragon's Crown AND a new system to play it, even if by the time Prof had convinced me, I had stupidly missed the preorder window and had to pay a 2000Y premium to get it on marketplace mere days after its release. Anyhow, though your PSN ID is willfully absent, we have been having some pretty good Cafe Dragon's Crown raids if you want to join in the Vanillacelebration.

Iggy
10024th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(3):Artbook cover revealed, sells on Novemb" , posted Tue 3 Nov 20:35post reply

quote:

When did they announce an Odin Sphere/Valkyrie Profile crossover?

Spoon
3120th Post

"Re(4):Artbook cover revealed, sells on Novemb" , posted Wed 4 Nov 03:15post reply

quote:
When did they announce an Odin Sphere/Valkyrie Profile crossover?

something something Nibelung Valesti

Holiday
2617th Post

"Re(2):Artbook cover revealed, sells on Novemb" , posted Sat 7 Nov 02:22post reply

Ugh, too many preorder choices! But if I had to choose I'd go for the ebten set with the crystal.

Maou
2967th Post

"Odin's Sphere video, new Oboro Muramasa OST" , posted Tue 10 Nov 03:59:post reply

What a good week. The only things I care about more than Lupin III, Lunar, and Street Fighter are Vanillaware announcements! Oh, and Holiday even came back, excellent!

Odin's Sphere: Cornelius' new moves in action
I meant to say this above for Gwendolyn too, but Zepy, Spoon, and others, I'd love to hear what's different since I own the original but am a criminal and haven't played it.

Odin's Sphere: Pre-order artbook
Characters, design images, stages, and monsters. This is from slightly earlier but Vanillaware's twitter is always late and their stuff is fragmented across too many sites.

Oboro Muramasa: Genroku Kaikitan soundtrack
Music for all four chapters of the downloadable Genroku Kaikitan expansion on Vita. Why isn't Oboro Muramasa on PS3 and/or PSN? I'd blame Marvelous, but Princess Crown's only port is still on PSP of all things, so! Releases on November 30 together with Dragon's Crown soundtrack and artbook! Amazon Japan will ship anywhere in the world, so you have no excuse!

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 10 Nov 04:07]

Iggy
10038th Post

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(1):Odin's Sphere video, new Oboro Muramasa" , posted Wed 11 Nov 00:12post reply

うわああああああああぁぁぁぁぁぁ
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8403625.html
わあああぁぁぁぁぁあぁぁ

Mosquiton
2091th Post

"Re(2):Odin's Sphere video, new Oboro Muramasa" , posted Wed 11 Nov 02:43post reply

quote:
うわああああああああぁぁぁぁぁぁ
わあああぁぁぁぁぁあぁぁ

Yo.

Too much.

/ / /

Maou
2967th Post

"Re(3):Odin's Sphere video, new Oboro Muramasa" , posted Wed 11 Nov 02:47post reply

quote:
うわああああああああぁぁぁぁぁぁ
わあああぁぁぁぁぁあぁぁ

Yo.

Too much.

Magnificent. Like with Poison, I'm always pleased by designs that 99.99% of the population has no idea what to do with.

...BUT WHERE IS DWARF?

Ishmael
5310th Post

"Re(4):Odin's Sphere video, new Oboro Muramasa" , posted Wed 11 Nov 04:02post reply

quote:

...BUT WHERE IS DWARF?

I'm assuming that like some sort of Sentai super robot she's absorbed the muscle mass of the Dwarf and the rest of the cast and become gigantic so she can fight the screen-sized bosses on equal footing.

Toxico
5982th Post

"Re(4):Odin's Sphere video, new Oboro Muramasa" , posted Wed 11 Nov 04:26post reply

quote:

...BUT WHERE IS DWARF?

Inside all of our hearts

Speaking of, the current post header is pretty cruel. Re(4):Odin's Sphere video, new Oboro Muramasa. Even though I knew better, I allowed myself to get fooled for a second.....

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Maou
2970th Post

"Re(5):Odin's Sphere video, old Oboro Muramasa" , posted Wed 11 Nov 06:43:post reply

quote:

...BUT WHERE IS DWARF?

quote:
Inside all of our hearts
That's not the only place!

There's a great art to strategically altering BBS message titles to see what sticks, though the chopping off of "OST" was brutally unintentional. Also: are you going to get to floor 10,000 of the 夢幻の天廊 before the November 30th release date of the soundtrack and artbook? Well~?

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 11 Nov 06:45]

nobinobita
1496th Post

"Re(6):Odin's Sphere video, old Oboro Muramasa" , posted Wed 11 Nov 12:05:post reply

quote:

...BUT WHERE IS DWARF?
Inside all of our hearts That's not the only place!

There's a great art to strategically altering BBS message titles to see what sticks, though the chopping off of "OST" was brutally unintentional. Also: are you going to get to floor 10,000 of the 夢幻の天廊 before the November 30th release date of the soundtrack and artbook? Well~?

Whoahhhh thanks for all the links Maou (and ... Iggy too! :O)

I have nothing of substance to add, just wanted to say thanks for the info.

It just occured to me that the Cafe is quickly becoming not just my primary source for video games info, but my ONLY source that I check somewhat regularly.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 11 Nov 12:25]

Maou
2974th Post

"Praise Sorceress" , posted Fri 13 Nov 07:36post reply

If the beefy Amazon model figure isn't to your liking, there's a new entry up for release next May that captures Sorceress' mix of cheekiness and self-assured confidence! I don't collect figures, but if I did, I would get this one. "Hat and part of the skirt are removable," I see!

Only 18 days until soundtrack and artbook.

Toxico
5983th Post

"Praise Gwendolyn" , posted Sun 22 Nov 04:31post reply

Exclusive for USA and PS4, this is the definitive version you'll want to buy!

For $79.99, you'll get:
- Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir for PlayStation 4
- 64-page Hardcover Art Book – Filled with the original drawings from the legendary George Kamitani and Vanillaware.
- Potion Recipe T-shirt – This large-size t-shirt is emblazoned with a helpful reminder of one of the more common uses of Alchemy in Odin Sphere Leifthrasir: turning the living Mandragora plant creatures (Habaneristos, in this case) into potions vital for survival.
- Collector’s Metal Slipcase – The PS4 game will come nestled in a special metal slipcase with the game’s key art on the front, and a not-yet-revealed image on the reverse.
- Art Print – Also included with the game will be a high-quality art print with another not-yet-revealed (but different) design.
- Premium Outer Box – All the contents in the premium edition will be packaged in a large, sturdy outer box.

The standard edition will also contain a softcover artbook for $59.99, be it for the PS4, PS3, and the Vita.

http://i.imgur.com/s0O8HCk.jpg [Image Attached]

http://i.imgur.com/7kgTTx8.jpg [Image Attached]

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Maou
2983th Post

"Re(1):Praise Toxico" , posted Sun 22 Nov 05:36post reply

A splendid set! I'll see your Odin's Sphere and raise you an Amazon listing for the Dragon's Crown artbook: unlike the official info, which is self-defeatingly scant, they have the page listing at 208 pages, more than three times the 64 pages of the preorder bonus! I don't suppose having Famitsu be the one to put it together is a bad idea, either.

Spoiler: Maybe 100 pages will devoted to giving each of the Adventurer's Guild Skill Cards, the only bad art in the entire game, a full page of artwork.

End of Spoiler

Maou
2987th Post

"Dragon's Crown artbook sales brisk" , posted Tue 1 Dec 03:03post reply

DRAGON'S CROWN ON PARADE

Wow! One day since the Dragon's Crown artbook goes on sale, Amazon Japan is completely sold out and ebten has it as the week's top seller! Famitsu put out their own promo page for it, too. I'm so proud of Vanillaware...though like an idiot, I forgot to pre-order and am paying for it now just the way I did with the game itself.

I didn't notice before that physical copies of the soundtrack are only available from ebten, an unfortunate choice that may reflect how it's being published by composer Sakimoto and his Basiscape company? I don't know, but you can always buy the digital version for cheap on Amazon.

Then again, Basiscape's promotional video implies that the new artwork for the 12-page booklet will include the pieces we've talked about above that are based on famous historical artwork, and that the CDs will include the attractive interface if you play them on your computer like an old-fashioned fellow or lady, so the markup from international shippers may be worth it!

Professor
4691th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Dragon's Crown artbook sales brisk" , posted Tue 1 Dec 18:16:post reply

Holy! I forgot all about this. Coincendently I stopped by my local bookstore today but didn't see it, wonder if it already sold out

According to reports, the CD jacket and its bonus illustrations aren't in the book so people that want them will need to pick up the ost. Apparently the book features a good volume of unused stages! Also, stuff that you normally can't see in the game like the background art in the results screen can be viewed in all its glory.

Reportedly, there's new guest art from Sumie Jun and Hitoshi Yoneda near the end of the book! I haven't heard much on Sumie since Falcom's Brandish series in the early 90s' so that's certainly something... the guy must be nearing age 60 by now.

On the other hand, there seems to be two issues: apparently the old preorder bonus actually has more character sprite art so if anyone wants to pick up the book as a pose collection/reference book, it might not be what they want. Also reportedly, some of the art have been blown up beyond their original size and they're a little blurry... humm.

Interestingly enough, there seems to be a fair number of people that picked up the book despite not owning the game.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 2 Dec 02:07]

Ishmael
5327th Post

"Re(2):Dragon's Crown artbook sales brisk" , posted Wed 2 Dec 08:41post reply

At the moment I don't have two pennies to rub together so part of me is glad this book is finding an audience without my financial support. Another part of me is frustrated at this news since when the crush of holiday bills is over there may not be any copies left for me to buy.

Maou
2991th Post

"Re(3):Dragon's Crown artbook sales brisk" , posted Wed 2 Dec 09:45:post reply

quote:
At the moment I don't have two pennies to rub together so part of me is glad this book is finding an audience without my financial support. Another part of me is frustrated at this news since when the crush of holiday bills is over there may not be any copies left for me to buy.

Nutty proposal: if you ordered the soundtrack or the soundtrack/artbook deluxe set from a middleman like CD Japan, I see it takes an extra 2-4 weeks because they have to order directly from ebten and then re-ship to you. Assuming they don't charge until they ship, you could secure a copy soon and not pay till after the holiday! And this method doesn't even require one to employ the services of Roni the thief!

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 3 Dec 02:35]

Maou
2998th Post

"Dragon's Crown artbook full report" , posted Sun 6 Dec 15:58:post reply

Come one, come all, to the Dragon’s Crown artbook-fest! In my quest to make everyone buy everything Vanillaware makes, here’s some notes on the artbook. Let’s say that the pictures are of low quality to encourage you to buy the real thing, and not because I just took them with a phone! (Prof: even so, if the images cause problems, let me know and I’ll nix them.)

Overall:
This is an extremely high-quality production, with vibrant colors, high-quality printing, and a treasure trove of art truly worthy of Vanillaware’s craftsmanship. It’s 208 pages, softback, long horizontally, and 2800 yen. There are a few unfortunate editorial mistakes that should keep you from throwing away your pre-order artbook, but it’s still outstanding. As Prof noted, the new artwork for the soundtrack booklet is not included, ensuring the reflexive need to create a new artbook in order to include the new artwork that came out at the time of the...new artbook.

Main character artwork (p. 3-16):
Oddly enough, this is the weakest section. As Prof mentioned, unlike the pre-order book, not all in-game model art is reproduced here, even though some frames selected are larger. Crucially, the tentacle/snake squeeze frame is missing.

Story artwork (p. 18-39, 90-102):
I’d read that we were getting the art for the A/B path fork in the dungeons, but I was delightfully surprised to find all story/character art from the town and endings, too. Relax drunkenly at the Dragon’s Heaven Inn! Poke at Morgan without getting turned into a frog! Gaze naughtily at the spirit from the dungeon A/B fork! Relive the time you got sent to jail for being such a moron to the townspeople!

Treasure artwork
(p. 40-89):
Going back through the treasure art received from Guild quests (they even include the story text that comes with them) reminds me of the impressive amount of incidental art that was made for the game. It also reminds me of how dark some of the quest stories and imagery are. Mostly, however, it’s important because we now have a full-page picture of adorable Harpy chicks.

Dungeon and town artwork (p. 104-134):
Sometimes it’s nice to take in the beautiful scenery you explore in this game without the barrage of enemies and loot distracting you. While I wish every single screen had a full page, the artbook would unfortunately become 500 pages long and cost 10000 yen. On the plus side, they were able to line up most of the town in a single horizontal row as a result, which is kind of fun.

Monster and townspeople artwork
(p. 136-151):
Unlike the pre-order book, all monsters and bosses appear here, though only one frame, of course. The single page with the villagers and faeries is the only place I’d agree with the criticism that the art is weirdly low-resolution.

Equipment, etc.
(p. 152-165):
Puzzlingly, this section of uninteresting item and Skill Card art goes on for 14 pages. It can’t possibly be for completionism’s sake, given the missing character artwork. Are there really people who want to see this stuff? I instantly compared it with another hilariously strange decision in the Soul Calibur II artbook to cram nine or so character poses into one page while giving pages and pages to things like…Kilik’s staffs. I’d happily have traded it for full-page renditions of the in-game dungeon art and unused image art. I can’t begrudge them too much, though, since they maintain the true Vanillaware spirit by devoting three whole pages to the food you can cook…or burn, in my case.

Promotional and image artwork
(p. 168-187):
Here are some of the biggest treats, now in half- or full-page glory. These are the truly evocative shots of the group together that drew a number of Cafe denizens to the game long before it released, including me. The sense of fun and personality these pieces exude should be the envy of every studio in the industry. Lovely, sexy, elaborate, and diverse.

Unused background image artwork
(p. 188-197):
Some astoundingly beautiful artwork, only one of which you’ll recognize from when your PS3 cursor highlights the Dragon’s Crown disc, and the others of which are image illustrations that set the tone for the world and were perhaps early drafts.

Guest art
(p. 200-206):
All the wonderful pieces by Akiman, Kinu, and Bengus from the pre-order book are included here, as well as four new ones, two by Bengus for the Amazon and Sorceress figures, and two others by two of the early RPG greats, Suemi Jun and Yoneda Hitoshi. Yoneda’s is bafflingly unimpressive, especially given that the grandeur and tone of his Phantasy Star II cover art are unparalleled in gaming history. Stranger still, he was just working on almost the exact same kind of character art for the IOS re-release of Sorcerian! Happily, Suemi’s contribution is awe-inspiringly grand in its framing and scale, as befits the old master of Wizardry.

Mini-interview (p. 207):
This a true artbook rather than a design material collection with creator interviews, but as a tiny aside, there is a brief set of questions to Kamitani and background artist Nishimura Yoshio. These are fun, though: Kamitani reveals that the reason for his gorgeous new cover art is that he couldn't slack off when the gift art from Akiman, Kinu, and Bengus was reappearing, plus Kida Emika had made the abovementioned magnificent new soundtrack cover. It's also nice to hear how Nishimura dedicatedly went to museums and studied in order to truly be able to evoke Western landscape paintings from the 18th century, and how he went for strong motifs like Roman ruins and legends, not simply producing a "castle" that might seem commonplace, for instance, but rather a specific sense of place that would be special to overseas audiences as well.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 8 Dec 06:00]

Professor
4692th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Dragon's Crown artbook full report" , posted Sun 6 Dec 17:16post reply

Thanks for the juicy comprehensive review Maou! Mmmm, so the the Dengeki Magazine cover is in there, nice!
Out of curiousity, are there any unused character artwork in there? Including rough drafts if any.

Ah and on a side note, a discovery! For anyone interested, Apple's iTune page actually has a large-size version of the Soundtrack jacket .

My budget this month is completely set off by Body-kun and Body-chan, agh! Need to get the book tho.

nobinobita
1520th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Dragon's Crown artbook full report" , posted Sun 6 Dec 18:16post reply

quote:
Come one, come all, to the Dragon’s Crown artbook-fest! In my quest to make everyone buy everything Vanillaware makes, here’s some notes on the artbook. Let’s say that the pictures are of low quality to encourage you to buy the real thing, and not because I just took them with a phone! (Prof: even so, if the images cause problems, let me know and I’ll nix them.)

Overall:
This is an extremely high-quality production, with vibrant colors, high-quality printing, and a treasure trove of art truly worthy of Vanillaware’s craftsmanship. It’s 208 pages, softback, long horizontally, and 2800 yen. There are a few unfortunate editorial mistakes that should keep you from throwing away your pre-order artbook, but it’s still outstanding. As Prof noted, the new artwork for the soundtrack booklet is not included, ensuring the reflexive need to create a new artbook in order to include the new artwork that came out at the time of the...new artbook.

Main character artwork (p. 3-16):
Oddly enough, this is the weakest section. As Prof mentioned, unlike the pre-order book, not all in-game model art is reproduced here, even though some frames selected are larger. Crucially, the tentacle/snake squeeze frame is missing.

Story artwork (p. 18-39, 90-102):
I’d read that we were getting the art for the A/B path fork in the dungeons, but I was

Holy cow, thanks for this great writeup!

I'm kind of baffled at the lack of production art and the prioritization of background art over character art. Still I'm really looking forward to this book (mine hasn't shipped yet). With it's unexpected success, I hope they put out more comprehensive books for their other titles too.

www.art-eater.com

Iggy
10062th Post

"Re(2):Dragon's Crown artbook full report" , posted Sun 6 Dec 22:29post reply

Thanks for the write-up, that does look like a nice book!

Maou
2995th Post

"Re(2):Dragon's Crown artbook full report" , posted Mon 7 Dec 01:22:post reply

quote:

Out of curiousity, are there any unused character artwork in there? Including rough drafts if any.

Ah and on a side note, a discovery! For anyone interested, Apple's iTune page actually has a large-size version of the Soundtrack jacket

Great find, Professor! Meanwhile, for character poses for your own artistic endeavors, the pre-order book is still your best bet. (You have one, right? If not, let me know and I'll e-mail you proper scans.)

While I can't recommend the artbook highly enough, it's significant that whereas most of what we casually call "artbooks" are actually "setteishiryoushuu" or "design material collections," the logic of the Dragon's Crown artbook is truly to treat the game like the companion book to an art exhibition. This makes it different from some of the great design material collections over the years like Xenogears Perfect Works, the Newtype 100% Collection series, Lunar I&II Official Design Material Collection, etc. There are no sketches or interviews or signs of early production to speak of, aside from two pages of prototype characters from the 90's when Kamitani was first dreaming of this game and a very minor page of interview questions (in fact, I'll add them above!). That's okay, though!

Nobi, even if I would have liked a few more frames of the in-game characters and townspeople, I wouldn't say that background art is prioritized over character art, fortunately: every piece of official artwork ever produced for the game pre-soundtrack is here, and in larger and better form than previously available. The huge character portraits next to their gorgeous ending art are particularly special.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 7 Dec 06:09]

Ishmael
5333th Post

"Re(3):Dragon's Crown artbook full report" , posted Mon 7 Dec 01:50post reply

Thank you for the write-up! That sounds like a great keepsake for a great game.

Professor
4700th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Dragon's Crown artbook full report" , posted Sat 12 Dec 19:16post reply

quote:

Ah and on a side note, a discovery! For anyone interested, Apple's iTune page actually has a large-size version of the Soundtrack jacket
Great find, Professor! Meanwhile, for character poses for your own artistic endeavors, the pre-order book is still your best bet. (You have one, right? If not, let me know and I'll e-mail you proper scans.)

Thanks I have it! It's a good book and I sort of was surprised that the new art book doesn't have a hard cover despite its err... thinness?

As Maou was saying, the art book is like a mastery of the splendid artwork that makes Dragon's Crown. I'm guessing that Kamitani as an artist wanted to only include finished artworks and none of the preproduction art /settei-shiryou stuff. For that, I guess I'll need to try and find an old copy of Utahime magazine which reportedly is the only printed matter that has some.

http://twitpic.com/dzd9wi

Oh, and Shigatake's Twitter too!

https://twitter.com/shigatake/status/672018887332880384
https://twitter.com/shigatake/status/671624037051666433

Maou
3007th Post

"Dragon's Crown soundtrack notes and art" , posted Sun 13 Dec 16:04:post reply

An overdue epilogue to the Dragon's Crown artbook report: a few notes on the Dragon's Crown Original Soundtrack!

No one who's played the game needs to be convinced of its superior musical quality, of course. The soundtrack contains 58 tracks (56 original, 2 arranged) and is 3,200 yen. The two piano arrangements, one of the town theme and one of the world map, are of high quality. Realistically, though, I'm probably just going to listen to the magnificent cooking theme on infinite repeat as I remember many happy hours of burning my food with Cafe members.

As far as I can tell, the interface shown in the promotional video for the soundtrack was just a mock-up and there isn't any actual auto-play visualization function when playing the soundtrack on a computer, but if anyone finds otherwise, let me know.

On to the art: Kida Emika's beautiful cover alone is reason enough to own this. It's such an expressive piece that wonderfully conveys a story together with the relationships between the characters. Tiki on the back is adorable, and the CD art pressing is attractive. The case art even has a new piece featuring Elf, just for the Professor.

The booklet is 12 pages and features the three homages to real-world paintings that were created for the soundtrack/artbook deluxe set and ably identified far earlier by Maese, Mosquiton, and Nobi. While it would be nice to have them at full size in the artbook, this is best place we're likely to have them for now, and they're great. Two out of the three homages feature new story that actually adds to the Dragon's Crown world, so I thought Cafe members might enjoy translations here. Roni and the Mermaids (Kida Emika, after John William Waterhouse's Hylas and the Nymphs) lacks any such note, oddly. Here are the other two:

Roland and the Harpy (George Kamitani): A beautiful girl calls after you with a bewitching singing voice and stares deep into your eyes. Though he knew that this was the dreaded Harpy, the young barbarian Roland could not resist her charms. It is unclear whether he managed to return alive because of his skills as a warrior or because of the whims of the Harpy's love. And today too he heads off adventuring to the temple ruins where the Harpy roosts. Homage to Gustave Moreau's famous work Oedipus and the Sphinx.

Death and Morgan (George Kamitani): Blessed with great abilities from a young age, she was overconfident in her own power. It was for this reason that she attempted to control Death, the greatest of all taboos. Bewitched by Death, she was rescued from despair by a thief with gray-streaked hair. She was saved by a treasure obtained from a dangerous adventure. In exchange, the man’s body was rendered unable to adventure any longer, and he opened a pub, the Dragon's Heaven Inn. Even after his death, Morgan runs her shop next to the pub, as if to stay close by him. Homage to Hans Baldung Grien's painting Death and the Maiden.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 14 Dec 14:18]

nobinobita
1525th Post

"Re(1):Dragon's Crown soundtrack notes and art" , posted Mon 14 Dec 12:16post reply

quote:
An overdue epilogue to the Dragon's Crown artbook report: a few notes on the Dragon's Crown Original Soundtrack!

No one who's played the game needs to be convinced of its superior musical quality, of course. The soundtrack contains 58 tracks (56 original, 2 arranged) and is 3,200 yen. The two piano arrangements, one of the town theme and one of the world map, are of high quality. Realistically, though, I'm probably just going to listen to the magnificent cooking theme on infinite repeat as I remember many happy hours of burning my food with Cafe members.

As far as I can tell, the interface shown in the promotional video for the soundtrack was just a mock-up and there isn't any actual auto-play visualization function when playing the soundtrack on a computer, but if anyone finds otherwise, let me know.

On to the art: Kida Emika's beautiful cover alone is reason enough to own this. It's such an expressive piece that wonderfully conveys a story together with the relationships between the characters. Tiki on the back is adorable, and the CD art pressing is attractive. The case art even has a new piece featuring Elf, just for the Professor.

The booklet is 12 pages and features the three homages to real-world paintin

UUUUUWWWAAAAHHHHH!

Thanks so much for the translations Maou! May I post these to Art-Eater? If so, how should I credit you? Do you have a website/twitter/other account that I can link to?

www.art-eater.com

Maou
3007th Post

"Re(2):Dragon's Crown soundtrack notes and art" , posted Mon 14 Dec 13:11:post reply

Oho~ I knew there would be at least one other person who bought the soundtrack as much for the booklet's art/story as for the (wonderful) music. Share away!

Just Maou from the Madman's Cafe is fine, but definitely thanks to Maese, Mosquiton, and others for the info on the homage sources! No website, but it'd be fun to link this current thread as well as our original Dragon's Crown thread since there's interview translations with Kamitani, the Super Nobi Bros. art defense force/anti-puritan league, various international observations, and other great stuff. You could include this link to my translation of interviews from the Lunar I&II Official Design Material Collection since the discussions with the creators, world designer, character designer, and animation director seem germane to art-eater...plus, there is a connection: Inoue Kikuko plays both Sorceress and Luna in the original Lunar!

Professor: since some of the text above links to the Cafe image board, I can give Nobi the original files if it would be a burden on the server to have the extra visitors?

In other news, the new Odin's Sphere soundtrack cover is lush and beautiful! Reminds me of an old British storybook. Out in exactly one month!

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 14 Dec 14:19]

Professor
4701th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Dragon's Crown soundtrack notes and art" , posted Mon 14 Dec 15:27post reply

quote:
Just Maou from the Madman's Cafe is fine, but definitely thanks to Maese, Mosquiton, and others for the info on the homage sources! No website, but it'd be fun to link this current thread as well as our original Dragon's Crown thread since there's interview translations with Kamitani, the Super Nobi Bros. art defense force/anti-puritan league, various international observations, and other great stuff.

Professor: since some of the text above links to the Cafe image board, I can give Nobi the original files if it would be a burden on the server to have the extra visitors?

You can leave things here as-is, it's totally fine! Oh yeah but for stuff Nobi wants to post directly on Art-Eater, he'll probably need to download them since this server has hotlinking disabled I think-- they probably won't appear!

nobinobita
1528th Post

"Re(3):Dragon's Crown soundtrack notes and art" , posted Tue 15 Dec 13:04post reply

quote:
Oho~ I knew there would be at least one other person who bought the soundtrack as much for the booklet's art/story as for the (wonderful) music. Share away!

Just Maou from the Madman's Cafe is fine, but definitely thanks to Maese, Mosquiton, and others for the info on the homage sources! No website, but it'd be fun to link this current thread as well as our original Dragon's Crown thread since there's interview translations with Kamitani, the Super Nobi Bros. art defense force/anti-puritan league, various international observations, and other great stuff. You could include this link to my translation of interviews from the Lunar I&II Official Design Material Collection since the discussions with the creators, world designer, character designer, and animation director seem germane to art-eater...plus, there is a connection: Inoue Kikuko plays both Sorceress and Luna in the original Lunar!

In other news, the new Odin's Sphere soundtrack cover is lush and beautiful! Reminds me of an old British storybook. Out in exactly one month!

Thanks dudes! Maou I'll gladly post links to your Lunar translations. And if you ever feel like writing anything new (about Lunar or anything else) I'd happily host it on my website.

www.art-eater.com

Maou
3009th Post

"Re(4):Dragon's Crown soundtrack notes and art" , posted Tue 15 Dec 14:09:post reply

Thanks, Nobi! I think the more people read our original Dragon's Crown thread through your art-eater post, the better...there's so much great commentary and resources archived there! You can send it to Kamitani later.

The Dragon's Crown artbook and soundtrack continue to rank in this week's top sellers at ebten, displaced just by some temporary keychains and...Odin's Sphere and its soundtrack! No signs of any copies at all left at Amazon. Which leads us to...

The Odin's Sphere website has had a major redesign since I visited it last. Now it's a lush garden of visuals and excitement, what a joy!

The ebten deluxe set has some similar items to Dragon's Crown: a hanging A2 size tapestry and a fired ceramic mug from the Pooka Cafe, plus a charming desk calendar, a five-piece Mandragora coaster set (!), an insane LED-lit laser-carved crystal artwork of Alice and her cat Socrates, and the 64-page pre-order artbook.

The Playstation Blog also has a profile on the game from Dengeki. I don't know how much commentary is already out there on the HD additions, but here are some notes:
-2 play modes! Classic Mode (PS2 version with HD graphics) and Refined Mode (new additions per below). Mid-page videos show first Classic Mode and then Refined Mode
-POW guage in top-left previously decreased through repeated attacks, now decreases through skill use
-combo attacks easier to unleash
-new skills, more action game-like elements: addition of sliding and dash attack, charge attacks
-food graphics look more delicious (THIS IS IMPORTANT)

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 15 Dec 17:39]

Professor
4725th Post

MMCafe Owner

"The countdown to Odin's Sphere" , posted Tue 12 Jan 00:52post reply

Only 3 days til the launch of Odin's Sphere and as expected, Vanillaware is doing a countdown on its official blog.

In the meanwhile, you can also pull out Madragoras

Maou: Can I feature your Dragon's crown review once MMCafe goes back running?

Maou
3034th Post

"Odin Spheeeeeeeeere" , posted Tue 12 Jan 01:02:post reply

quote:
Only 3 days til the launch of Odin's Sphere and as expected, Vanillaware is doing a countdown on its official blog.

In the meanwhile, you can also pull out Madragoras

Maou: Can I feature your Dragon's crown review once MMCafe goes back running?

Prof: I'd be honored! Like we were talking about the in the IGGY 10,000 post thread, there's a lot of long-form posts by patrons that would make great articles.

Mandragoras!! Can we pluck 5 million collectively?!

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 12 Jan 04:19]

Iggy
10103th Post

"Re(1):Odin Spheeeeeeeeere" , posted Tue 12 Jan 08:42post reply

quote:
Mandragoras!! Can we pluck 5 million collectively?!

I got bored after a couple dozens, especially when I was informed that the demo was on the PSN.
It lets you play with all 5 characters in a preset selections of screens, and it plays very good! I remember I liked playing with each characters at the beginning, because they played smoothly and made you feel super powerful. Having new skills is of course icing on the cake.

I like how, when you're talking about a Vanillaware game you don't even need to add "and it's gorgeous" because, well, it's Vanillaware, what else could it be.

End of Spoiler

Maou
3039th Post

"Odin Sphere's second coming" , posted Fri 15 Jan 03:07post reply

It's here, it's heeeeeeeere!

As Prof already noted, Vanillaware has continued their typical pattern of release countown art, and today we can celebrate Odin Sphere's chance to make an even bigger splash via this art by Kozaki Yuusuke (Fire Emblem Awakening/If, No More Heroes)! There has been some seriously gorgeous stuff leading up to now, of course, including art of the Best Character by Shigatake, fan artist toi8, and Kida (presumably Kida Emika, in a very different style).

We live in a happy world where the Odin Sphere soundtrack ranks second in sales on ebten on day one, with Oboro Muramasa Genroku Kaikitan soundtrack and Dragon's Crown soundtrack still at 6th and 11th even six weeks after release! (Bonus joy: Skullgirls PS4 at 15th.)

Iggy
10108th Post

"Re(1):Odin Sphere's second coming" , posted Fri 15 Jan 03:59post reply

Speaking of, who does the music for Vanillaware games? Is it an in-house job, or do they contract outside? Is it the same person or does it change according to the game?
It is consistently good, but I never see the game appearing in the lists of "amazing OST of the year" and now I think of it something isn't right.

I am seriously tempted to take the game now on PS3, even though I'll miss a couple hundred of "p"s.

Maou
3040th Post

"Re(2):Odin Sphere's second coming" , posted Fri 15 Jan 04:18post reply

quote:
Speaking of, who does the music for Vanillaware games? Is it an in-house job, or do they contract outside? Is it the same person or does it change according to the game?
It is consistently good, but I never see the game appearing in the lists of "amazing OST of the year" and now I think of it something isn't right.

I am seriously tempted to take the game now on PS3, even though I'll miss a couple hundred of "p"s.

Lately anyway (Odin's Sphere, Dragon's Crown, Oboro Muramasa), it's been Sakimoto Hitoshi's company, Basiscape!

Spoon
3205th Post

"Re(1):Odin Sphere's second coming" , posted Fri 15 Jan 04:35post reply

The Kida one is amazing!

For some reason whenever I see the collection of illustrations for Vanillaware games covering a gamut of styles, my mind always wanders to these Russian-illustrated tales which I read many years ago. My favourite will probably always be Vasilisa the Beautiful and Baba Yaga, illustrated by Ivan Bilibin, but I read a few ofthe books illustrated by Charles Mikolaycak's and they were very, very memorable.

Maese
797th Post

"Re(1):Odin Sphere's second coming" , posted Fri 15 Jan 10:50post reply

quote:
Kida (presumably Kida Emika, in a very different style).

Oh My (nordic) God, this is just gorgeous! I love me some good Alphonse Mucha ripoff, specially if it's norse themed! As usual, Kamitani and his folks are the epitome of good taste.

A Talking about Japanese History sword in hand

Maou
3042th Post

"Re(2):Odin Sphere's second coming" , posted Sat 16 Jan 02:09post reply

Happy trends to consider for the sake of good taste and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir's success:

Vanillaware sales (Japan)
Princess Crown (PSP): 22,000
Grim Grimoire (PS2): 36,000
Odin Sphere (PS2): 96,000
Oboro Muramasa (Wii): 75,000
Oboro Muramasa (Vita): 74,000
Dragon's Crown (PS3): 151,000
Dragon's Crown (Vita): 109,000

Speaking of which, international Cafe patrons of impeccable taste will be pleased to see that the Dragon's Crown Artbook will supposedly re-stock at Amazon in ten days, on January 25.

Spoon
3211th Post

"Odin Sphere second coming sales" , posted Thu 21 Jan 10:27:post reply

It's a bit of a soft week, so it managed to top the charts!

01./00. [PSV] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir <RPG> (Atlus) {2016.01.14} (¥7.980) - 43.394 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir <RPG> (Atlus) {2016.01.14} (¥7.980) - 42.263 / NEW

10./00. [PS3] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir <RPG> (Atlus) {2016.01.14} (¥7.980) - 9.771 / NEW

That games selling less than 50k copies = chart topping kind of speaks to the relative softness of the week, but that Vanillaware managed to top the charts at all is pretty great. Compared to the original, across its 3 SKUs Odin Sphere has managed to sell as much as the original did LTD. I doubt that it'll beat Dragon's Crown, but that an HD remake (admittedly one with a fair amount of new content) has a chance of doing as well as their second most successful title in aggregate is great news for them.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 21 Jan 10:32]

Lord SNK
106th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Odin Sphere second coming sales" , posted Fri 22 Jan 04:24post reply

Now that the game is out, how is the PS3 version compared to the PS4 version?

KTallguy
1471th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

"Re(1):Odin Sphere second coming sales" , posted Fri 22 Jan 08:50:post reply

Man, I really wanted to buy this... but 7700 yen?

I decided to wait for the US release...

Great art by the way :)

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Fri 22 Jan 08:51]

Maou
3050th Post

"Art update" , posted Sun 24 Jan 06:08:post reply

Celebrate Odin Sphere's almost breaking 100,000 copies by looking at the updated art gallery on Vanillaware's page, now with separate links at the top to the countdown images for Dragon's Crown and Odin Sphere. They even have the digitial release celebration images for Oboro Muramasa: Genroku Kaikitan if you care (you don't, but I forgive you). The "Other" section even has their adorablely heartbreaking images for their ongoing hiring search for a background designer.

In conclusion, come for Kamitani's New Year's drawings, but stay for Dwarf's motorcycle.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 24 Jan 06:10]

Spoon
3211th Post

"Re(1):Art update" , posted Sun 24 Jan 08:51post reply

quote:
Celebrate Odin Sphere's almost breaking 100,000 copies by looking at the updated art gallery on Vanillaware's page, now with separate links at the top to the countdown images for Dragon's Crown and Odin Sphere. They even have the digitial release celebration images for Oboro Muramasa: Genroku Kaikitan if you care (you don't, but I forgive you). The "Other" section even has their adorablely heartbreaking images for their ongoing hiring search for a background designer.

In conclusion, come for Kamitani's New Year's drawings, but stay for Dwarf's motorcycle.

I wonder if Dwarf and Elf always being shown as pals (drinking, playing video games, on a motorcycle...) is a slight reference to Lord of the Rings (is it Gimli X Legolas, or Legolas X Gimli?...), or just because having the outrageously muscled balding short guy paired with the sveltest of the svelte young-looking-but-probably-300-years-old ladies is a delightful pairing.

"Re(1):Big Announcement from Vanillaware" , posted Thu 5 Jan 20:37:post reply

Happy new year to you too, George!

EDIT: Plus an interview because why not.

So, are we going to get that SF game whose name I can't remember to save my life? Muramasa remake in the vein of Odin's Sphere? Or Princess Crown, maybe?

[this message was edited by Iggy on Fri 6 Jan 00:51]

Micky Kusanagi
558th Post

PSN: MickyKusanagi
STM: n/a
CFN: MickyKusanagi
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Big Announcement from Vanillaware" , posted Fri 6 Jan 01:24post reply

Given that I'm not competent about Vanillaware at all because their only game I've played till now is Dragon's Crown -more or less one year before becoming an active Cafe patron-, and so I can't figure out for myself whether these New Year's greetings hide some hint in Kamitani's vein, that's a beautiful artwork. This art style is just magic. And so is the interview -the arrested development thing cracked me up by the way xD

I must schedule an Odin Sphere playtrough someday. I wanna play the PS2 version first in spite of its known flaws, then I'll buy Leifthrasir and move on to it.

Ore no...kachi da!!