Original message (4242 Views )
chazumaru
1822th Post

user profileedit/delete message
Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"RANDOM GAMES! #34: A Breath of Fresh Air" , posted Thu 2 Mar 21:45post reply

Previous topic:
>>RANDOM GAMES! #33

A brand new console is out tomorrow everywhere and I think it is the right time to switch (!) topics. Nintendo's Vita 2 next home console for the AirBnB generation will come with a critically acclaimed game and more spotty sidekicks. It will be supported with a lot of indie games, including a fighting game taking inspiration for the Neo Geo Pocket Color. More importantly for the MMC, it is the promise of a portable two players arcade, such as these five Arcade Archives Neo Geo titles available at launch will try to remind everyone. We'll see how things evolve from there. I'll be there at launch, as I usually do, even if I don't see the obvious Pen Pen Triicelon / Dead Rising / Army Corps of Hell-type "not so great game that I will play way too much and remember fondly" of this lineup (unless you count Snipperclips, which looks legitimately great and thus does not really fit the description). But what about you?

Même Narumi est épatée !

Replies:
neo0r0chiaku
297th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1
Wii: n/a
STM: dc202styles
CFN: n/a
Copper Customer

"Re(1):RANDOM GAMES! #34: A Breath of Fresh Ai" , posted Thu 2 Mar 23:05:post reply

quote:
Previous topic:
>>RANDOM GAMES! #33

A brand new console is out tomorrow everywhere and I think it is the right time to switch (!) topics. Nintendo's Vita 2 next home console for the AirBnB generation will come with a critically acclaimed game and more spotty sidekicks. It will be supported with a lot of indie games, including a fighting game taking inspiration for the Neo Geo Pocket Color. More importantly for the MMC, it is the promise of a portable two players arcade, such as these five Arcade Archives Neo Geo titles available at launch will try to remind everyone. We'll see how things evolve from there. I'll be there at launch, as I usually do, even if I don't see the obvious Pen Pen Triicelon / Dead Rising / Army Corps of Hell-type "not so great game that I will play way too much and remember fondly" of this lineup (unless you count Snipperclips, which looks legitimately great and thus does not really fit the description). But what about you?

I was actually going to mention Master Blaster Zero in the older thread since its gameplay has bit and pieces of everything like Bangai-O, Contra, etc. So its looks pretty cool and fun game by IntiCreates.

I also wanted to pointed out that a physical copy of Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours is being released this month for the PS4 and its region free.

Is it me, or is their a boat load of video games being released at a constant rate already in 2017? geez give us time to breathe!

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Thu 2 Mar 23:07]

Micky Kusanagi
638th Post

PSN: MickyKusanagi
XBL: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: MickyKusanagi
Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):RANDOM GAMES! #34: A Breath of Fresh Ai" , posted Fri 3 Mar 03:16post reply

This -especially the last phrase in the article- brings back some weird memories. Which I'm putting under spoiler in order to spare you guys from the same shock I had...

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
The infamous picture of the girl licking an X360 controller x'D

End of Spoiler

Ore no...kachi da!!

PSN: Kusanagi82
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):RANDOM GAMES! #34: A Breath of Fresh Ai" , posted Fri 3 Mar 03:57post reply

quote:
Previous topic:
>>RANDOM GAMES! #33

But what about you?

I'm not %100 sure why, but I per-ordered one along Zelda. This will be my first Nintendo "home" console since the GameCube. Just to be clear, I used to be a Nintendo fan; way back in the day.

I'm secretly praying for them to re-re-release Windwaker on the Switch. The only Nintendo title I truly regret never playing...

I'm also hoping he hardware is made to last...

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):RANDOM GAMES! #34: A Breath of Fresh Ai" , posted Fri 3 Mar 04:12post reply

I hope that Master Blaster is still a story about a boy searching for his pet frog. That's such a wonderfully insane idea that I hope the creators of this new game don't shy away from it out of a misplaced need to be respectable. Part of me also hopes that the Parker character in that NGPC clone is based off the stories from Donald Westlake/Richard Stark. That seems like an absurd stretch but everything else in Pocket Rumble seems to exist as a callout to another, better product.

quote:
I also wanted to pointed out that a physical copy of Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours is being released this month for the PS4 and its region free.

The small but loyal following Darius enjoys is something to see. ¥21,111 seems like a lot for a toy fish but I'm certain this thing will still sell out.

"Re(4):RANDOM GAMES! #34: A Breath of Fresh Ai" , posted Fri 3 Mar 13:07post reply

428 to receive an English release? On PS4 and Steam?

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201703/03128219.html

Never thought I'd see the day!

Micky Kusanagi
642th Post

"Re(5):RANDOM GAMES! #34: Hori Switch stick" , posted Sat 4 Mar 21:31post reply

Another step in building a reputation as a fighting gamer's platform? I don't wanna jump to conclusions, but I surely hope things go this way

Ore no...kachi da!!
chazumaru
1824th Post

"A Breath of Fresh Frog Legs" , posted Tue 7 Mar 23:14post reply

quote:
I hope that Master Blaster is still a story about a boy searching for his pet frog.

It is.

Also Zelda.

Also that new game Away which just got announced and was stealthly featured in the Indies announcement panel for Switch.

2017 is all about amazing games and frogs and the dissolution of modern democracy, apparently!

Même Narumi est épatée !

"Re(1):A Breath of Fresh Frog Legs" , posted Wed 8 Mar 02:47post reply

quote:

Also that new game Away which just got announced and was stealthly featured in the Indies announcement panel for Switch.

Oh, it's by that guy that made The Next Penelope!
I get a really strong Dragon Quest vibe from the creature sprites. Cool!

neo0r0chiaku
297th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):A Breath of Fresh Frog Legs" , posted Wed 8 Mar 03:25post reply

quote:

I really like the Master Blaster Zero game and hope they sell a physical copy in the future. The over the top gameplay reminds me of the SNES Jurassic Park game. Not sure why JP specific, but I had good memories with that game.

Long Live I AM!
nobinobita
1781th Post

"Re(2):A Breath of Fresh Frog Legs" , posted Wed 8 Mar 20:13post reply

quote:

Whoaaaahhhh I was not expecting that! They're using a 3d engine to make flat 2d animations that sort of look like traditional animation to work in a first person 3d engine. THATS SO COOL LOL.

www.art-eater.com

"Re(3):A Breath of Fresh Frog Legs" , posted Thu 9 Mar 04:59post reply

Hardcore platforming action involving small animals continues

A few neat procedural animation techniques are in this game, which are very prominently used for the creatures with long tentacle legs.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(4):A Breath of Fresh Frog Legs" , posted Thu 9 Mar 12:35post reply

While this is surely the best thread title rename in recent memory, I am surprised not to see some people seriously SWITCHing it up. I don't care about the unwashed masses' dumb impressions online, I just want to hear the Cafe's experience! This is maybe the first system I've wanted based soley on its design as opposed to any specific game (Zelda is nice, but I've accidentally failed to play a single Zelda game in 25 years of gaming, so why stop now?). I'm sure I will get one...when Virtual Console appears!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...
nobinobita
1783th Post

"Re(5):A Breath of Fresh Frog Legs" , posted Thu 9 Mar 12:55:post reply

quote:
While this is surely the best thread title rename in recent memory, I am surprised not to see some people seriously SWITCHing it up. I don't care about the unwashed masses' dumb impressions online, I just want to hear the Cafe's experience! This is maybe the first system I've wanted based soley on its design as opposed to any specific game (Zelda is nice, but I've accidentally failed to play a single Zelda game in 25 years of gaming, so why stop now?). I'm sure I will get one...when Virtual Console appears!

I got to play the Switch the other day. The whole thing played out like a Nintendo commercial.

I was talking to someone that I'd just met about video games. The Switch came up and he was like, "I got one, you want to try it?" and popped it out of his backpack.

Thing plays like a dream. We were in the back of a little hole in the wall BBQ restaurant during our lunch break. Set the screen on the table (it props itself up), broke off the two little controllers and we started playing Puyo Puyo vs Tetris.

The tiny controls felt just fine and the screen was very clear. I was several feet away and everything was legible. Everyone had a blast!

Having the screen makes a gigantic difference. This is quintessentially different than say getting a bunch of friends together to play PSP or DS. The single screen makes it easy for everyone to spectate. Also, only one person needs to have the system on hand.

It genuinely felt like a traditional, offline, face to face, multiplayer in the living room experience. But on the go. The ease with which you can take that experience with you wherever you go is a big game changer for me.

It would be exceedingly difficult for me to convince my friends to buy Puyo Puyo and then meet me online at a specific time to play (much less buy a console with which to play Puyo Puyo on). But now I can get a Switch and just bring the game to them easily.

You better believe people around me are gonna start playing Waku Waku 7!

Anyway, the Switch is everything it promised to be as far as I can tell. It actually works. It's not some awkward hybrid of portable and traditional consoles. It really does feel like a "real" console that you can take anywhere.

The screen is super clear. The controller feels good and it has just the right amount of heft. The breakaway controllers are more comfortable than I anticipated.

Oh and Zelda plays like a dream too. It actually feels a bit like MGSV to me, gameplay wise. Graphics look better in person too (I'm not a huge fan of the new art style, but it's very well executed).

Anyway, everyone go buy one. It's super fun and you can force your friends to play Neo Geo whenever you see them in real life now.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 9 Mar 12:56]

"Re(6):A Breath of Fresh Frog Legs" , posted Thu 9 Mar 13:46post reply

Nobi, this sounds wonderful! I love that picture online you have online of everyone gathered around the Switch at lunch.
quote:
Waku Waku 7
Holy mackerel, I forgot SNK's stuff was on this! Will Switch be the system that finally makes me play SNK games!? Meanwhile, plans to hold off for Virtual Console are hitting a major bump thanks to this pleasant New Yorker article which notes:
quote:
Meat cut from the carcasses of birds and animals, fruit knocked from trees, and mushrooms plucked from the tall grass can be combined to produce meals and ability-enhancing elixirs.
COOOOOOKING
MMC's collective number one weakness!

"Re(7):A Breath of Fresh Frog Legs" , posted Thu 9 Mar 14:32post reply

Think about how being the kid that owns a Switch is not just going to be the one who has an awesome toy, but the one with an awesome toy that can play together with somebody else with just one unit.

Think about how Smash Bros. that allows spectating and is on a portable unit can spontaneously pop out.

It's going to be amazing/awful!

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):A Breath of Fresh Frog Legs" , posted Fri 10 Mar 02:40post reply

quote:
I don't care about the unwashed masses' dumb impressions online, I just want to hear the Cafe's experience! This is maybe the first system I've wanted based soley on its design as opposed to any specific game (Zelda is nice, but I've accidentally failed to play a single Zelda game in 25 years of gaming, so why stop now?). I'm sure I will get one...when Virtual Console appears!

I LOVE mine. It's just so easy to pick up and use on the go, anywhere in my apartment. The whole thing works. Or just leave it docked on sleep mode, grab the controller and almost 10 seconds later I'm already playing Zelda (which is wonderful). Everything just works VERY smoothly.
It feels so much different than my PS4. Which always seems to be downloading or installing something.
If they add a good Virtual Console with a substantial library of games, I might soon be quitting modern gaming for good.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Wii: NNID:sfried
Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):A Breath of Fresh Frog Legs" , posted Fri 10 Mar 06:29post reply

quote:
Zelda is nice, but I've accidentally failed to play a single Zelda game in 25 years of gaming, so why stop now?

If you've never played Zelda 1, or have played Zelda 1, this is pretty much like Zelda 1 reimagined (and more?). Do yourself a favour and go into this game blind, without any guides, without any impressions. It's fun discovering the unique systems and mechanics in place (MGSV is a close comparison), but it pretty much feels like the first time you've played the first Zelda game (so many conventions are broken, including open world ones, such as not giving you a marker to find a specific goal).

Also to those who have been playing:

What where you doing when you stumbled upon Farosh? You know...the huge flying dragon thing that randomly shows up across the world?
There's nothing like wondering inside a rainforest encountering that thing flying alongside the river, chasing after it, while it hurls shock/lightning discharges at me. I shot an arrow at it, and it dropped something shiny, only to find it out it had been the scale I was looking for to solve one of the shrine puzzles!

End of Spoiler

chazumaru
1826th Post

"Re(8):A Breath of Fresh Frog Legs" , posted Fri 10 Mar 09:04post reply

I am not sure what's there to share from my side. Besides the controller, I mean. Snipperclips is cool and a good demo of the social potential for Joy-Con. The Neo Geo games released at launch have a few technical issues and will apparently be patched next week. But anyway, I haven't been playing much else than Breath of the Wild, since why stop playing Breath of the Wild to do anything else, especially when it can follow you everywhere? The game is exactly what everyone raves about and probably the most impressive launch title since Mario 64. You should not play it based on your connection to Zelda but based on your connection to video games.

quote:
Think about how being the kid that owns a Switch is not just going to be the one who has an awesome toy, but the one with an awesome toy that can play together with somebody else with just one unit.

Well. We need substitute teacher Michelle Pfeiffer to go put some sense in the heads of those mischievous kids.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):A Breath of Garlic" , posted Fri 10 Mar 12:43:post reply

What's this "Nintendo Switch" thing everybody is talking about? I thought it was actually called the Zelda Machine, because this new Zelda is everything you'll never need.

Boy, am I having a blast with this game! I didn't feel like this since I was at middle school. All I can think about is getting home as soon as I can and play some more. The sheer joy and delight of exploring this world cannot be described by words. I've spent like 30 hours with the game and I have not yet uncovered more than 30% of the map. Heck, I have not even reached the first main dungeon, but I couldn't care less. Just strolling around looking for insects, hunting game and taming wild horses feels fulfilling enough. What an amazing game. I honestly feel like a little kid discovering videogames for the first time, and precisely I did discover videogames back in the day thanks to Zelda. The circle is complete I guess.

Oh, and the machine that plays it is really nice in itself. I wonder if it would have more games on the future, preferably Zelda ones. I don't seem to need anything else!

As for sfried's spoiler question:

I stared at it like 2 minutes in awe and then just took a photo of it. I didn't know about the scale, I'll give it a shot (pun not really intended) later!

End of Spoiler

Also, since this is the Cafe after all, we can't forget the customary culinary topics. Cooking in this game is very simple, but super fun as well. I can easily spend hours trying new recipes (just like in real life, ha ha) and have never skipped the cooking animation even once. This Zelda is all about those small, charming details. Then again, all Zeldas are, but this one is just on another level.

What do you know, I'm playing (and enjoying!) videogames once again!

A Talking about Japanese History sword in hand

[this message was edited by Maese on Fri 10 Mar 12:46]

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):A Breath of Garlic" , posted Sat 11 Mar 01:39post reply

quote:
What's this "Nintendo Switch" thing everybody is talking about? I thought it was actually called the Zelda Machine, because this new Zelda is everything you'll never need.

I may as well copy and paste everything Maese says, since I agree with it all so much. I'm a person who doesn't love open world games especially-- they so often seem uncurated and as a result they end up being unengaging for me. There's also the problem that when you've got literally anywhere to be, where you're 'supposed to be' is often the last place you end up, so they get boring for me, between bland 'go meet this person' or 'collect x of y object' quests, and I ditch them. And I know, BotW has all of these things, superficially, but at no point in my first 25 hours have I felt bored, and at no point has the game felt like every little piece was hand-crafted. I don't know where anything is going to lead me at the point that I'm at, and I don't even really care-- I'll just keep on slumping around in shrines, and maybe the story will keep happening. There are a million little pieces that all fit together so well that everything feels like a delight, from cooking to climbing to battles. I'm not sure I've played a game in the last 20 years that felt this way, and that has made me feel the way I do about this one. And I'm not even especially a Zelda fan. I think the greatest testament to its quality is that it doesn't really matter that it's a Zelda game.

It's slightly embarrassing to admit, but I found myself in a weird place this week-- Nier Automata has come out, a game that I would at any other time be completely obsessed over, and I'm finding it to be... a little boring and sloppy seeming, compared to BotW. It's not a bad game, by any means, and I love its aesthetic and its world. It's just incredibly unfortunate in so many ways that it had to come out the week after Zelda did. And I think that's the most unfortunate thing about BotW-- that it will make so many other games feel a little bit lame by comparison.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):A Breath of Garlic" , posted Sat 11 Mar 03:54post reply

quote:
I honestly feel like a little kid discovering videogames for the first time, and precisely I did discover videogames back in the day thanks to Zelda. The circle is complete I guess.
-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

EXACTLY

chazumaru
1828th Post

"A Breath of Fresh Links" , posted Sat 11 Mar 15:45:post reply

Regarding why BOTW is so much fun, this recent viral video showing off some possible interactions is worth many words.

Here is the entire GDC talk discussing how the physics and chemistry involved in the link above were conceived, then (in the later third) how the development team settled on the over all art direction of BOTW. It's about 90 minutes long but it was peculiarly interesting to have the video running in the background as I was actually fooling around in the game.

Meanwhile, Capcom is kindly thinking about poor 3DS owners who can't join in on the fun.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sat 11 Mar 15:46]

"Dragon's Dogma x Justice Gakuen (!)" , posted Sun 12 Mar 03:45post reply

In a cross-over that was seemingly made specifically for the Madman's Cafe, Dragon's Dogma online is getting Batsu and Hinata outfits from Justice Gakuen this June! The models are entirely silly, but I am still delighted.

I almost put this in the fighting game thread.

"Re(1):Dragon's Dogma x Justice Gakuen (!)" , posted Sun 12 Mar 04:41post reply

I can't justify buying the Switch for one game BotW looks really good.

quote:
In a cross-over that was seemingly made specifically for the Madman's Cafe, Dragon's Dogma online is getting Batsu and Hinata outfits from Justice Gakuen this June! The models are entirely silly, but I am still delighted.

I almost put this in the fighting game thread.

While on the subject of bizarre crossovers, Garo -of all things- is coming to MH. While this is all jolly fun who sits around and dreams up these crossovers?

"Re(1):A Breath of Old Chats" , posted Sun 12 Mar 05:19:post reply

quote:
Regarding why BOTW is so much fun, this recent viral video showing off some possible interactions is worth many words.

Here is the entire GDC talk discussing how the physics and chemistry involved in the link above were conceived, then (in the later third) how the development team settled on the over all art direction of BOTW. It's about 90 minutes long but it was peculiarly interesting to have the video running in the background as I was actually fooling around in the game.

Meanwhile, Capcom is kindly thinking about poor 3DS owners who can't join in on the fun.

What is interesting to me is that they struggled with re-discovering what Western games for the longest time called "emergent gameplay", a term which got so trodden into the grown that people don't invoke it so much anymore. "Emergent gameplay" was especially used to describe the open-world games that took the world by storm following GTA3, even though it certainly existed in games long before that. A kind of central problem in general with GTA, though, has been that aside from certain NPCs, the only real interaction you can have with NPCs comes in the form of stealing their cars and/or attacking them. The way they describe novel and unanticipated situations and solutions arising from interactions of AI and systems is pretty much exactly what emergent sandbox gameplay has aimed to be. But I really like that they are aiming to find words to describe the mechanisms and design philosophies by which they seek to generate emergent gameplay.

That and this is the same kind of thinking I espouse whenever I talk with people about the old Microprose X-COM versus the new Firaxis X-COM: the new one is a smoother, more carefully designed tactical experience with all kinds of more modern progression mechanics. The older one certainly had a lot of tactical consideration in it, but it would often choose to be a more freeform simulation instead of a well-balanced tactical game, and so the player had a lot more freedom to do silly things and get into novel situations. It also had terrific integration between its disparate game systems, which made everything seem multiplicatively meaningful.

One entertaining article about this was about the game Red Faction Guerilla, a game which had an incredibly delightful building destruction simulation. When describing how to design missions for it, one of the designers said that making zones that were open to possibility was very difficult for them coming from the traditional FPS/TPS level design mentality. Indeed, some of the mission zones almost seemed TOO open and lacking in thought, because it was just like they made zones, threw in some enemies and items and physically interactive things, and put you on one end and an objective on the other. On the flip side, for me one of the most amazing missions involved protecting a convoy from snipers which were in multi-story buildings, because blasting apart chunks of the building to reach the snipers was really fun. It had the right combination of an environmentally interesting situation, a premise that put a little bit of pressure on me, and a vast amount of opportunity to leverage my creativity with the game systems.

I think in a truly ideal situation where a game is designed with emergence as an objective, in the player's mind it more becomes a setting in which stories/narratives get generated.

I need to stop blabbing so much!

[this message was edited by Spoon on Sun 12 Mar 06:31]

chazumaru
1828th Post

"Re(2):A Breath of Old Chats" , posted Tue 14 Mar 01:21post reply

Monster Hunter XX x Hunter x Hunter

Même Narumi est épatée !

"Re(3):A Breath of Old Chats" , posted Tue 14 Mar 08:22post reply

The PlayStation headset is so poorly built it makes the Switch look like a marvel of engineering. In spite of my best efforts my headset developed a nasty crack in a joint, causing it to flop about. I needed a curved splint to properly brace it so I ended up taping an old spoon to the headset. So it has come to this.

"Re(4):A Breath of Old Chats" , posted Tue 14 Mar 10:01post reply

quote:
I needed a curved splint to properly brace it so I ended up taping an old spoon to the headset.
There is no doubt about it, Ishmael is the most punk rawk/DIY member of the board now. I meanwhile have a decent USB headset for my Playstation 3 Dedicated Dragon's Crown Playing Device that has served me well, though it's at the family home now and far from me. I'd recommend it, if only I could remember the brand!

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):A Breath of Golden...." , posted Wed 15 Mar 20:09post reply

Apparently people start to complete the hunt for 900 hundred koroks. And the reward for that is...

A golden Shit from Hatsu.

I wonder if you cook or use it somehow.

End of Spoiler

nobinobita
1783th Post

"Re(5):A Breath of Old Chats" , posted Wed 15 Mar 20:40post reply

quote:
I needed a curved splint to properly brace it so I ended up taping an old spoon to the headset. There is no doubt about it, Ishmael is the most punk rawk/DIY member of the board now. I meanwhile have a decent USB headset for my Playstation 3 Dedicated Dragon's Crown Playing Device that has served me well, though it's at the family home now and far from me. I'd recommend it, if only I could remember the brand!

A Chinese soup spoon! That's genius! It's the perfect curve!

For your viewing pleasure, here's my own pair of frankenphones.

I've had these Koss Portapro headphones for almost a decade now! (I highly recommend them, the sound quality is great and they're tough!)

The padding came off on the left earbud, so I tied a soft breathing mask around it (super lazy, but it works! It's real comfy!)

The right earphone just outright snapped off so I super glued it back together with a splint made out of some leftover gunpla plastic. It worked perfectly! Plus, my headphones are now part Gundam! (or more specifically the CAMS-05 Mack Knife!--Designed by Akiman!)

www.art-eater.com

"Re(6):A Breath of Old Chats" , posted Thu 16 Mar 01:28post reply

quote:
The padding came off on the left earbud, so I tied a soft breathing mask around it (super lazy, but it works! It's real comfy!)

Padding usually vaporizes long before the rest of the headphones wear out so this is a brilliant solution. If it doesn't affect the sound quality and keeps your ear from getting clamped down by hard plastic it's all good!

"Re: A Breath of Fresh Nier" , posted Sun 19 Mar 03:25:post reply

Iggy left me to go play Nier, at which point I mused out loud, "I hope it comes to Switch or Steam soon." Then I noticed it came to Steam yesterday, so I have no excuse. I know the world at large has been enjoying it, but please tell me why you in particular like it! It feels like the Cafe has been talking about it forever, but then I realized it might have been Nioh, and thus the conversation was for very different reasons. I admit that the quite excellent website and perfect Yoshida Akihiko character designs alone make a strong case.

Alternate question: should I buy it while I wait for Virtual Console on the Dedicated Breath of the Wild Device, or is Zelda my true destiny? I sure like Nier's character designs more than anyone in Zelda, which would explain my criminal negligence of the latter series since the SFC, the very first console I owned and which I could start ignoring the series with.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 19 Mar 03:43]

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(1):Re: A Breath of Fresh Nier" , posted Sun 19 Mar 08:20post reply

First, I want to say that I'm extremely happy I can't play Zelda (or Horizon, because Horizon is a thing as well) before a couple more months, because even weirdos like me have been overwhelmed in games since the release of Scarlet Grace. I finished Hollow Knight just on time to move on to Nier, and I shouldn't linger too long with 2B because Rain World will be there next week or something. Ah, and Kolin, I want to play more with Kolin too.
I feel like no game could be released for the next 6 months and I still wouldn't be able to finish everything I want to play.

quote:
I know the world at large has been enjoying it, but please tell me why you in particular like it!

In no particular order:
- 2B is cool. She has some really gracious animations while being a giant ice queen "don't say you're happy androids shouldn't have emotions happiness is a disease". My better half was playing Bayonetta 2 behind me, and now I think of 2B like Bayo's polar opposite. I'm curious to see where the game is taking her (probably to some very unhappy place). The other characters are cool too.
- The controls are great to play because Platinum, but it's very much a Yoko Taro game. I was unsure at the beginning (the prologue ends with a silly fight with a giant robot) but no further sign of Platinum craziness appeared afterwards, while I went through plenty of YT's insanity already.
- The game is an open world Action RPG fishing top-down-shooter text adventure. Your favourite genre!
- Amazing music.
- Robot Sartre.
- White underwear.
- It sucks that SQEX gave a budget of probably 12 dollars and 25 pence to Kawazu to create Scarlet Grace, but at least they gave a proper budget to YT for his new project. Nier Automata may be our best chance to prevent SQEX from devolving into a soulless machine spurting "another game with your favourite FF characters" vs "another game with your favourite DQ characters" games every other month.

From what I've read, there's also absolutely no need to have played any other Nier or Drag-on-dragoon, which is probably for the best.
The PC port seems to behave strangely on some people, though. Maybe it's better to have a rather powerful computer and/or wait for a patch. I'm not a tech snob, and the game works perfectly fine on a 970, but I may be lucky.

quote:
Alternate question: should I buy it while I wait for Virtual Console on the Dedicated Breath of the Wild Device, or is Zelda my true destiny?
The real answer to this is: wait for ARMS.

chazumaru
1829th Post

"Re(2):Re: A Breath of Fresh Nier" , posted Mon 20 Mar 02:34post reply

• I finally saw the end of BOTW after 100+ hours of roaming, hunting and surviving as promised on the back of the box. Welp, that was pretty great. I am sure it's not on purpose but it dawned on me during the rolling credits that the premise of the game makes for a nice metaphor of the franchise, considering how long it took for the original The Legend of Zelda to get rescued form several decades of despair (and especially the tyranny of Ocarina of Time) and finally get rewarded with a proper sequel to the original game, and its revolutionary idea of free form adventure at the time. Along the way, it's as if BOTW prepared for this fight against players' expectations by training and conquering pretty much 15 years of video games, from the Gravity Gun in Half Life 2, to the stamina, looting and bufficooking culture of Monster Hunter, to the vast lands and progression of Skyrim and Ubisoft games, to the thrill of invading soviet bases in MGS5. I have rarely thought so much of the best moments of so many games in a single, different game. What a gem. I've spent 20 further hours since I finished it for the first time, and I am now basically forcing myself to quit and play other games out of respect for them. I am thankful I bought the physical card because having the game available at any moment on my Switch would have made that promise much harder to keep.

• I did not expect a DF Retro on Master Blaster but it was worth it!

[spoilers for MHXX ahead] The final boss for MHXX is, quite literally, Mantis piloting a Metal Gear. (And the game's producer is called Kojima, too!)

Même Narumi est épatée !

Platinum Carpet V.I.P - THE FOOL

"Re(3):Re: A Breath of Fresh Nier" , posted Mon 20 Mar 23:20post reply

Correction to my previous post.

Dear Maou,

We may have to buy a Switch much earlier than we thought.
Trigger warning

Best regards,

"Re(4):Re: A Breath of Fresh Nier" , posted Tue 21 Mar 07:25post reply

One of the designers of Ori and the Blind Forest describes what he dislikes about BotW from his perspective.

It is basically a continuation of the perspective he expressed with regards to Hollow Knight, and the essence of it is that simply walking through large spaces isn't interesting to him, and he prefers to have more activity per unit time or per unit distance.

I do agree that if a game is going to have pure exploration as one of its central tenets, we have to consider deeply what will make that interesting. In real life, the act of mechanical traversal alone is quite engaging. In video games, what aesthetic or kinaesthetic sensibilities need to be there?

"Re(4):Re: A Breath of Fresh Nier" , posted Tue 21 Mar 09:34post reply

quote:
Trigger warning

!!!! Aw hell, I wasn't planning on buying a Switch for another few months, but but but. At least it wasn't Seiken Densetsu 2, which would have made this entirely unavoidable and which would make more sense given the two player experience anyway.
quote:
One of the designers of Ori and the Blind Forest describes what he dislikes
In real life, the act of mechanical traversal alone is quite engaging. In video games, what aesthetic or kinaesthetic sensibilities need to be there?
The timing is quite interesting, since I was just about to inquire among my Nier enablers just how much fighting I have to do. I'd be quite happy following gorgeous 2B around beautiful landscapes without any other fuss. Maybe that makes Breath of the Wild my game? As a hint, Wander and the Colossus is one of my favorite games in the world, but not necessary because of the Colossus battles, which frequently make me feel sad.

Part of what the Ori guys may be pointing to lately is a subtle but crucial aspect of Nocturne in the Moonlight that is seldom noticed by its countless "Igavania-style" imitators in recent years: exploratory action games with puzzles require the scenery to actually be unique and varied for it not just to be a dull time-wasting series of back-and-forths. Why is Concerto of the Midnight Sun/Harmony one of the worst Dracula games? Terrible music aside, it's because I cannot remember a single environment in that castle.

Mosquiton
2263th Post

"Re(5):Re: A Breath of Fresh Nier" , posted Tue 21 Mar 13:09post reply

quote:
Trigger warning

!!!! Aw hell, I wasn't planning on buying a Switch for another few months, but but but. At least it wasn't Seiken Densetsu 2, which would have made this entirely unavoidable and which would make more sense given the two player experience anyway.

What?

More sense?

How?

I don't understand.

Also, I want to play Zelda. But I have no Switch and I sold my Wii U before I moved. So instead, I got all endings in Nier. It's good, but it does not want to give you the cool stuff easily. The cool stuff is in there, though.

The difficulty level also never felt quite right for me, either. If I could do it all over again I would just okay on Easy the whole time. No amount of stylish action can chew through massive HP any faster.

/ / /
chazumaru
1831th Post

"Re(5):Re: A Breath of fresh compilation" , posted Tue 21 Mar 16:33post reply

quote:
At least it wasn't Seiken Densetsu 2, which would have made this entirely unavoidable and which would make more sense given the two player experience anyway.

So, about that...

Même Narumi est épatée !

"Re(6):Re: A Breath of Radiant Historia" , posted Tue 21 Mar 18:34post reply

quote:

So, about that...

Speaking of compilations...The remake we never asked for but are getting!

ungenesis
461th Post

Wii: ungenesis
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis
Gold Customer

"Re(7):Re: A Breath of Radiant Historia" , posted Wed 22 Mar 08:51post reply

Fantastic! I loved that game, but with my current backlog just couldn't find an excuse to play it again. I should make some headway by the time it comes stateside.

...it'll come to the west, right?

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Anyone still playing Phantasy Star Online 2?
Ship: 2
ID: entropytempts

"Re(6):Re: A Breath of fresh Seiken" , posted Wed 22 Mar 09:02:post reply

quote:
So, about that...

Holy cow! Now that is the right idea. After years of fumbling the series, Square finally realized that all they had to do was simply re-release the originals. I can't believe they are even including Seiken Densetsu 1 from the days when it was still "Final Fantasy Gaiden." Switch delay is becoming more difficult by the day.

Ah, and I'd forgotten that Seiken Densetsu 3 still allowed two-player even though it was missing 2's multi-player. I've never met anyone who loved 3 more than 2 anyhow. Also:
quote:
The difficulty level also never felt quite right for me, either. If I could do it all over again I would just okay on Easy the whole time. No amount of stylish action can chew through massive HP any faster.
Mosquiton, this is seriously useful information on Nier. I think I remember you and Ishmael commenting in the FFVII remake thread on how so many action games are cursed by grunts with high HP that neither makes sense nor is much fun to pummel through. I want grunts out of the way quickly, if they're there at all. The only 3D action game with fights (Colossus does not count) that I've actually finished is probably the first Devil May Cry. So presumably if I want unobtrusive one-hit goons but tricky bosses, I can still have fun if Nier is on easy? I'm a simple man, I just want to be left alone to explore the countryside and maybe ride a horse. Or a dinosaur. Whatever.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 22 Mar 11:13]

Mosquiton
2265th Post

"Re(7):Re: A Breath of fresh Seiken" , posted Wed 22 Mar 11:19:post reply

quote:
So, about that...
Holy cow! Now that is the right idea. After years of fumbling the series, Square finally realized that all they had to do was simply re-release the originals. I can't believe they are even including Seiken Densetsu 1 from the days when it was still "Final Fantasy Gaiden." Switch delay is becoming more difficult by the day.

Ah, and I'd forgotten that Seiken Densetsu 3 still allowed two-player even though it was missing 2's multi-player. I've never met anyone who loved 3 more than 2 anyhow. Also:
The difficulty level also never felt quite right for me, either. If I could do it all over again I would just okay on Easy the whole time. No amount of stylish action can chew through massive HP any faster. Mosquiton, this is seriously useful information on Nier. I think I remember you and Ishmael commenting in the FFVII remake thread on how so many action games are cursed by grunts with high HP that neither makes sense nor is much fun to pummel through. I want grunts out of the way quickly, if they're there at all. The only 3D action game with fights (Colossus does not count) that I've actually finished is probably the first Devil May Cry. So presumably if I want a Dracula-like game with unobtrusive one-hit goons but tricky bosses, I can still have fun if Nier is on easy? I'm a simple man, I just want to be left alone to explore the countryside and maybe ride a horse.

To elaborate just a bit, I only felt like reducing the difficulty on the third route (meaning after two playthroughs). The enemies all have levels. It's a stats thing.

But, I'm pretty sure you can just move the difficulty up or down anytime with no consequences whatsoever! So feel free to tailor it to your liking.

Also, I like SD3 more than SD2/SoM... But I admit I'd rather the action didn't pause when you used spells/abilities. All the light/dark class changes and the story/final boss changing based on character selection, though... that's the coolest. I have played through that game with another live human being maybe 8 or more times.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Wed 22 Mar 11:22]

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(7):Re: A Breath of fresh Seiken" , posted Wed 22 Mar 23:29post reply

quote:
Ah, and I'd forgotten that Seiken Densetsu 3 still allowed two-player even though it was missing 2's multi-player.

Actually, that's three-players, not two.

I also never cared for 2 except for the music, while 3 was my thing despite the bugs.
On the other hand, what made it special was the high replayability. Wasting several months of allowance on this game was worth it because you would be playing it again and again for months to come.
In our days of cheaper games released every other day all fighting for a time slot, I'm not sure Seiken 3 holds any value to someone who hasn't played it back then.
"You mean I have to play through it SIX TIME to see all the endings?!"
Back then, that was a stupendous sales point, not a reason to complain on the internet.
quote:
I'm a simple man, I just want to be left alone to explore the countryside and maybe ride a horse. Or a dinosaur.

You'll ride a moose and you'll LIKE IT.

Mosquiton
2265th Post

"Re(8):Re: A Breath of fresh Seiken" , posted Thu 23 Mar 01:33post reply

quote:

In our days of cheaper games released every other day all fighting for a time slot, I'm not sure Seiken 3 holds any value to someone who hasn't played it back then.
"You mean I have to play through it SIX TIME to see all the endings?!"
Back then, that was a stupendous sales point, not a reason to complain on the internet.

This actually directly relates to Nier as well, hahah. The unfortunate thing about Nier is that the second playthrough is, overall, much too similar to the first. With one fairly large but not super-exciting exception, the actions available to you as a player don't really change too much either. But the game is still totally worth playing! You'll see.

The other thing about SD3 is that I feel like you could finish the game in about 10-12 hours once you get into it. And there was no list of sidequests to make you think "Oh man, I can't finish the game yet... I'm only 73% done with my secondary objectives and have 14 collectibles left!" That, to me, is one of the reasons modern games (particularly open world games) can feel like something you just want to finish and never, ever return to again.

/ / /
Just a Person
1891th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(8):Re: A Breath of Radiant Historia" , posted Thu 23 Mar 05:39:post reply

quote:
Fantastic! I loved that game, but with my current backlog just couldn't find an excuse to play it again. I should make some headway by the time it comes stateside.

...it'll come to the west, right?

Excellent question. I really hope so, but with the difficulty of translating all the text from SD3 and the difference in their Western names (a compilation of Final Fantasy Adventure, Secret of Mana and... uh... Secret of Mana 2?), there may be some obstacles.

By the way, I don't care if SD2 and SD3 get ported to Switch exactly how they used to look like, but I wonder if there's any chance for SD1 to at least get colored or something like that. If it could be remade with the graphical style of SD2 and SD3, I'd buy a Switch without thinking twice!

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Thu 23 Mar 05:41]

"Re(9):Re: A Breath of Radiant Historia" , posted Thu 23 Mar 05:44post reply

quote:
If it could be remade with the graphical style of SD2 and SD3, I'd buy a Switch without thinking twice!

Well, there was Sword of Mana on the GBA..

Just a Person
1892th Post

"Re(10):Re: A Breath of Radiant Historia" , posted Thu 23 Mar 05:56:post reply

quote:
If it could be remade with the graphical style of SD2 and SD3, I'd buy a Switch without thinking twice!

Well, there was Sword of Mana on the GBA..

Oh yeah, that's right! Would there be any chance for SD1's adaptation in this compilation be the GBA remake?

Although, even if it isn't, SD2 and 3 are more than enough to justify the purchase of this compilation!

---

EDIT: according to Gematsu, SD1 is indeed the original GB version, rather than the GBA remake. Sad, but oh well, at least SD2 and SD3 are still part of the collection!

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Thu 23 Mar 06:12]

"Re(2):Re(10):Re: A Breath of Radiant Historia" , posted Thu 23 Mar 09:39post reply

quote:
EDIT: according to Gematsu, SD1 is indeed the original GB version, rather than the GBA remake. Sad, but oh well, at least SD2 and SD3 are still part of the collection!

I remember that people who liked 1 hated the GBA remake, but I don't know the reason.
The soulless 3D remake was hated as well, but that was easier to understand.

Just a Person
1896th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re: A Breath of Seiken" , posted Thu 23 Mar 10:36:post reply

quote:
I remember that people who liked 1 hated the GBA remake, but I don't know the reason.
The soulless 3D remake was hated as well, but that was easier to understand.

There was also a mobile port (although I think it was only released in Japan) which was closer to the style of the original game, right? In fact, the sprites for the hero and the damsel in distress in that port look more similar to how they look like in this SDC box art (and curiously also to how they look like in Adventures of Mana, the 3D remake) than how they looked like in Sword of Mana...

As for Sword of Mana, it seems that it changed a good part of the original game, so that's probably what bothered the SD fans. I don't know if the mobile port left a better impression with them than Sword and Adventures did.

---

EDIT (wow, third edited post in a row...): I found a video showing a little of this mobile version, and in my opinion it looks quite good (not as good as Sword of Mana, but good enough). It's a pity that Square Enix is sticking with the old, original GB version (sure, it's the original and all, but it just looks so inferior to its two sequels...).

...Then again, most SD fans do claim that the original version of SD1 is a great game by itself, so maybe Square Enix made the right choice picking it for this collection.

-----

EDIT 2: after watching some videos of the original SD1, I think it doesn't look as outdated. Sure, it has no colors, but the sprites are nice and the music is great, so it looks like a good game nevertheless. SE, please just give the three games a translation to English and we have a deal!

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Tue 11 Apr 21:50]

"Re(4):Re(10):Re: A Breath of Old Game Devs" , posted Fri 24 Mar 03:20post reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGzd7JRbxL0

20 minute interview from 1998 in which John Romero talks with Nasir Gebelli. Did I pose this here before?

chazumaru
1838th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re: A Breath of Old Games" , posted Mon 27 Mar 00:18:post reply

Atlus has announced their 2017 slate for Japan. I hope you have a 3DS.
Perfect? It's really just a remaster but everything seems voiced now and they tweaked the character designs for some reason.
Deep? No in game footage yet.
Fushigi?. This is by the way the 7th game in the Franchise on 3DS!

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Mon 27 Mar 00:23]

"Re(6):Re(10):Re: A Breath of Old Games" , posted Mon 27 Mar 01:51post reply

After Little King Story and the recent Kamaitachi set the bar for remakes to a new low by having worse artwork to try (and fail) to appeal to a different audience, Atlus is now lowering the bar even more by having remakes were the artwork has been redrawn in a similar same style, only worse.
But wait, you can buy the original artwork via DLC!

Or maybe Atlus lost the original arts from Kaneko and had to redraw everything because of the superior resolution of the 3DS.

"Re(7):Re(10):Re: A Breath of Old Games" , posted Mon 27 Mar 05:37post reply

I am needlessly and senselessly upset that Eruca now has long hair in the new Radiant Historia. I also find it curious how her pose and expression have changed significantly compared to everybody else's!

(I say all this, but she wound up being one of the party members I used the least in spite of being the one with what I thought was the coolest portrait...)

"Re(7):Re(10):Re: A Breath of Old Games" , posted Mon 27 Mar 11:50post reply

quote:
After Little King Story and the recent Kamaitachi set the bar for remakes to a new low by having worse artwork to try (and fail) to appeal to a different audience, Atlus is now lowering the bar even more by having remakes were the artwork has been redrawn in a similar same style, only worse.

Or maybe Atlus lost the original arts from Kaneko and had to redraw everything because of the superior resolution of the 3DS.

Which reminds me...whatever happened to Kaneko's role in Atlus?

nobinobita
1787th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re: A Breath of Old Games" , posted Mon 27 Mar 14:13:post reply

quote:

Which reminds me...whatever happened to Kaneko's role in Atlus?

This makes me so very very sad. I've never been able to play any of the Soejima lead MegaTen games. For any other franchise, he's a great lead artist. He's very talented. But he's not even on the same planet as Kaneko. Not even the same galaxy. I knew this day would come where his more populist sensibilities would override Kaneko's peerless art direction on the series though. Maybe the worst part is that they still tried to maintain Kaneko's drawings, but made a ton of really terrible subtle changes to the line art and coloring. It's like a masterclass of how to turn something great into something typical. What a sad sad day.

Note: I don't know if Soejima is actually involved in this 3ds port. I'm just using his name as a catch all for "everyone who is not Kaneko." Unfortunately his world class sensibilities have not been fully passed on to any of his understudies.

It makes me appreciate Capcom a lot more. Akiman was able to pass his skills on to Kinu who in turn helped mentor Ikeno and Bengus who in turn helped Edayan etc. I may hate the art in SFV with a burning sure-to-be-life-long passion, but I still think Monster Hunter and the Gyakuten Saiban games look great.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 27 Mar 14:30]

nobinobita
1787th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re: A Breath of Old Games" , posted Mon 27 Mar 20:05post reply

quote:

They all had to be softened up to match the new generic anime face girl. Which makes no sense cos the logical thing to do would have been to get Kaneko to design an anime face girl that fits in that world. How cool would that have been? Also it would have only involved one redrawing instead of at least half a dozen.

www.art-eater.com
chazumaru
1841th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re: A Breath of Old Games" , posted Mon 27 Mar 21:30:post reply

quote:
I've never been able to play any of the Soejima lead MegaTen games.

Hmmmmmrmrmrm but Soejima has never done any character designer work in any capacity on any Shin Megami Tensei game. He did replace Kaneko on the Persona series from the third episode. You might be mistaking him with Masayuki Doi?

I really like all three of them, although personally I don't think Doi's strengths match the atmosphere of SMT so well. Soejima would be a better substitute to Kaneko, actually. I would not mind if they switched roles on each franchise. Or rather, considering that Soejima will be busy on their High Fantasy project for a while, I hope Doi gets to try his hand on Persona and someone new appears for the next SMT game.

quote:
They all had to be softened up to match the new generic anime face girl.

I would not be surprised if the main reason was technical constraint vs cost, really. We'll have a better understanding of development costs and the scope of the project once we know if they simply upscale the Lancarse engine or have converted the entire game to the SMT4 engine.

quote:
the logical thing to do would have been to get Kaneko to design an anime face girl that fits in that world.

Who knows, maybe that was their first intention? Maybe Kaneko is not available or not keen to return to this kind of job? He has seemed pretty far removed from day-to-day game development since the original SJ.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Mon 27 Mar 21:37]

"Re(10):Re(10):Re: A Breath of Old Games" , posted Mon 27 Mar 22:24post reply

Le sigh.

What worries me even more with the new girl they're adding is that the last time they added a new girl to a game already feature-complete, it was Marie in Persona 4.
And.... yeah, I don't think Strange Journey needs that.

We don't know at all what Kaneko is doing indeed. He might be fossilized in a closet somewhere, or he may have moved to a senior position where he tutors youngsters like Soejima and Doi - in which case, well, great artists aren't always the best teachers.

nobinobita
1788th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re: A Breath of Old Games" , posted Mon 27 Mar 23:02post reply

quote:
I've never been able to play any of the Soejima lead MegaTen games.
Hmmmmmrmrmrm but Soejima has never done any character designer work in any capacity on any Shin Megami Tensei game. He did replace Kaneko on the Persona series from the third episode. You might be mistaking him with Masayuki Doi?

I really like all three of them, although personally I don't think Doi's strengths match the atmosphere of SMT so well. Soejima would be a better substitute to Kaneko, actually. I would not mind if they switched roles on each franchise. Or rather, considering that Soejima will be busy on their High Fantasy project for a while, I hope Doi gets to try his hand on Persona and someone new appears for the next SMT game.

They all had to be softened up to match the new generic anime face girl.

I would not be surprised if the main reason was technical constraint vs cost, really. We'll have a better understanding of development costs and the scope of the project once we know if they simply upscale the Lancarse engine or have converted the entire game to the SMT4 engine.

the logical thing to do would have been to get Kaneko to design an anime face girl that fits in that world.
Who knows, maybe that was their first intention? Maybe Kaneko is not available or not ke

Those are really good points! Sorry I get emotional over stuff like this. Yeah there's so many reasons things could have turned out the way they did and the only thing that's for certain is that I have no clue haha.

Thank you for telling me the difference between Doi and Soejima. That makes perfect sense as I also like Soejima's work on Persona more than Doi's work on SMT. I enjoyed Doi's work on Persona 2 that he produced directly under Kaneko. Those masks that he made were awesome. But his work on Trauma Center and SMT basically just feel like Kaneko, but not nearly as good. His drawing's are not nearly as technically precise and his designs just don't have the same flair (but who does?). I feel like an ass reading over these words though. It's not as if he's a bad artist at all. I just ... KAZUMA KANEKO WHERE ARE YOUUUUU??

If he's no longer directly involved in making art, I hope he's living the high life in a senior position (as much as that's possible at a medium sized game company)

www.art-eater.com
chazumaru
1844th Post

"Re(1):RANDOM GAMES! #34: A Breath of Fresh Ai" , posted Tue 28 Mar 17:51post reply

If you have played La Respiración Salvage de Zelda, I strongly recommend this hilariously overachieving new world record for the"birdman" longest paraglide flight challenge (hint: the video is over 20 minutes long).

Même Narumi est épatée !

"Re(2):RANDOM GAMES! #34: A Breath of Fresh Ai" , posted Wed 29 Mar 01:15post reply

A few random thoughts about a random game, Mass Effect: Andromeda:

The game feels a bit janky and is tonally inconsistent so it's exactly like the previous ME games.

When it comes to the main character the female Asian face was far and away the best choice, even over the default faces. As a result I'm playing as an Asian girl Ryder. "Asian girl" has been the answer to most of the questions in my life so I'm glad to see that solution still stands.

Upon reflection I should have named my character "Kamen Ryder" and colored my battle armor accordingly.

In the previous ME games Shepard seemed to very quickly step into her role of being the hero who saves the universe. Ryder, however, is coming across like a well-meaning idiot who is bungling her way through and occasionally shotgunning aliens in the face. The modified conversation wheel that allows you to make smart-aleck remarks at inappropriate occasions is helping to customize my interpretation of Ryder.

There's an absurd amount of customization and crafting available. I would be tempted to ignore big chunks of it but I can make a sword and I really, really want that sword.

I'm enjoying the main plotline about Ryder's attempts to bring lawyers, guns and money to the intergalactic frontier. It beats the doom and gloom of ME3.

The squid guy with a monocle is obvious eye candy.

The multiplayer is different but still entertaining. I miss getting cheap kills by hiding behind barriers but the improved movement makes up for it. The current game plan seems to be that everybody jetpacks up to the roof and blasts the enemies when they are wandering around on the ground looking for you. The only problem I currently have is that the loot boxes are no longer divided into characters, weapons or whatever. I don't need new MP characters, I need a better rifle.

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):RANDOM GAMES! #34: A Breath of Fresh Ai" , posted Wed 29 Mar 02:01post reply

quote:
If you have played La Respiración Salvage de Zelda,

Oh God is that the real name in spanish? That would be hilarious.

chazumaru
1846th Post

"Re(3):RANDOM GAMES! #34: A Breath of Fresh Ai" , posted Wed 29 Mar 11:32post reply

It is, sadly, not.

They did however provide Zelda and her subjects with both Castillan and Mexican dubs.

Même Narumi est épatée !
nobinobita
1794th Post

"Re(4):RANDOM GAMES! #35:Tekken new generation" , posted Mon 3 Apr 13:33:post reply

Yesterday I taught a random little kid how to properly play Tekken.

I was at the mall when I noticed a kid, maybe 4 or 5 years old playing Tekken 6 (arcades still exist in Thailand in a very limited capacity) by himself. He was flailing the gumball stick with his left hand, while his right hand was balled up in a fist, mashing a single button. He was getting destroyed by the computer.

I walked over and I told him, kid that's not how you do it. Look, you can't just mash a single button. You gotta mash ALL the buttons. I then showed him my ancient technique of unballing your fist and using your fingers to tap multiple buttons. This was a bit advanced for his touch screen addled upbringing, but he did start hammer-fisting all 4 buttons after this.

Suddenly his Law was doing more than a single sad kick. He was a whirlwind of action, that overwhelming his kangaroo foe.

The kids are alright!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 3 Apr 13:55]

"Re(8):Re(10):Re: A Breath of Old Games" , posted Mon 3 Apr 18:54post reply

quote:
I am needlessly and senselessly upset that Eruca now has long hair in the new Radiant Historia. I also find it curious how her pose and expression have changed significantly compared to everybody else's!

(I say all this, but she wound up being one of the party members I used the least in spite of being the one with what I thought was the coolest portrait...)

Well she was out of your party for a good chunk of the game. Never mind that everyone I know who played the game think she's overpowered.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."
Digitalboy
792th Post

XBL: SupplyPigeon8(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

"Re(9):Re(10):Re: Bayonetta" , posted Tue 4 Apr 11:00post reply

Please let it be a new game on ANY platform and a release date for her amiibo.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

"Farewell to Roland's godfather of MIDI" , posted Wed 5 Apr 10:16post reply

Not purely game news, but very important to games: Kakehashi Ikutarou, the founder of Roland and the "godfather of MIDI," died this week. We have this man to thank not only for many drum, piano, and guitar synthesizers, but for the MIDI sound format, which Nikkei notes he made public for free and which became an instant standard! He got a Technical Grammy in 2013 for this.

To put this into terms that will resonate with the undead legions of the Cafe, the Roland SC-55 sound module is responsible for the EXPLOSIVELY excellent third sound option in the X68000 version of Akumajou Dracula (last seen in PS1 Chronicles). Let's crack our whips to Simon's Theme with thanks to Kakehashi!

You can also bet your ass that legendary UK electronica group 808 State got their name and sweet grooves from the Roland-808 as opposed to Hawaii's area code.

Tommy Snyder of the band Godiego (they sung the theme song from Rintarou's Galaxy Express 999 film!!) has a sweet note about him.

"Re(1):Farewell to Roland's godfather of MIDI" , posted Thu 6 Apr 01:54post reply

quote:
Not purely game news, but very important to games: Kakehashi Ikutarou, the founder of Roland and the "godfather of MIDI," died this week. We have this man to thank not only for many drum, piano, and guitar synthesizers, but for the MIDI sound format, which Nikkei notes he made public for free and which became an instant standard! He got a Technical Grammy in 2013 for this.

Over the years I've met a number of people who feel that the best music is produced by a giant panel of knobs, wires, and blinking Star Trek lights. I'm not certain if it's more about the sound or the equipment but either way they owe a great deal to Ikutarou.

"Re(2):Farewell to Roland's godfather of MIDI" , posted Thu 6 Apr 16:05post reply

The Roland MT-32 will forever be synonymous with the greatest music PC gaming had to offer in its heyday. If only more people lived in the era of sound cards....

"Re(3):A Breath of Fresh Hair" , posted Wed 12 Apr 01:25post reply

Bayonetta 1 now available on Steam.

Digitalboy
793th Post

XBL: SupplyPigeon8(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

"Re(4):A Breath of Fresh Hair" , posted Wed 12 Apr 08:03post reply

No, amiibo.
quote:

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

"Re(4):A Breath of Fresh Hair" , posted Wed 12 Apr 08:46:post reply

quote:

HOLY COW! I knew if I waited long enough, I would finally bask in Her glory, but who knew it would be on Steam? I don't even like 3D action/roleplaying games, but between this and Nier, I see myself beating up people stylishly for the rest of the year.

Update: the "deluxe" Steam edition's PDF (huh?) artbook and wallpaper are admittedly pretty shitty, but that still doesn't mean you won't earn accolades from all visitors who notice the sexy-feminist-asskicking being administered on your desktop, confused Westerners be damned.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 12 Apr 11:41]

Micky Kusanagi
656th Post

"Re(5):A Breath of Fresh Dawn" , posted Mon 17 Apr 23:15post reply

I was taking a peek at SNK developers' Twitter accounts when this got my attention. I haven't played nor bought Horizon yet and it's a game I plan to buy once its retail version starts to get heavy discounts and I replace my standard PS4 with a Pro one and my current TV with a 4K display, but that doesn't mean my interest in it is faint, so this pixelate fanart really got me.

Ore no...kachi da!!

"Re(6):A Breath of Fresh Dawn" , posted Tue 18 Apr 23:37post reply

quote:
I was taking a peek at SNK developers' Twitter accounts when this got my attention. I haven't played nor bought Horizon yet and it's a game I plan to buy once its retail version starts to get heavy discounts and I replace my standard PS4 with a Pro one and my current TV with a 4K display, but that doesn't mean my interest in it is faint, so this pixelate fanart really got me.

It's odd how a large number of beefy games all came out at the same time. In a perfect world this would mean I have a lot to play but in reality it means I suddenly have a huge backlog of games I want to try out. For some reason most of the games start with "N" as well. Ni-Oh, Nier Automata, Nobunaga's Ambitious Auberge... it goes on and on. Horizon is also on my list but it's off in the "H" category so who knows when I'll get around to it.

In truly random game news, there's going to be a comic book based on the old arcade game Centipede. Why does this exist?

Micky Kusanagi
657th Post

"Re(7):A Breath of Fresh Dawn" , posted Wed 19 Apr 03:51post reply

Didn't know an Atari related line of comics was going on. I dabbled in 2600 era gaming a couple times in my life but I missed Centipede and a host of other classics from that time, what a shame. I'm really curious about this work.

Ore no...kachi da!!

"Re(8):A Breath of Fresh Dawn" , posted Wed 19 Apr 04:27post reply

quote:
Didn't know an Atari related line of comics was going on. I dabbled in 2600 era gaming a couple times in my life but I missed Centipede and a host of other classics from that time, what a shame. I'm really curious about this work.

One of the sad problems that comes with the closure of arcades is that people are no longer able to enjoy games in their native habitat. If you can find a retro arcade to try out Centipede since that game is all about the trackball. A great deal of the fun of Centipede comes from wildly spinning that cue ball and/or getting slivers of your palm bitten into by the worn down control panel.

Cruising around on Google image search also reminded me of how great the cab art was on Centipede. Those bugs look like they mean business!

Micky Kusanagi
659th Post

"Re(9):A Breath of Fresh Dawn" , posted Wed 19 Apr 17:09post reply

I saw some trackballs selling for 22$ at Amazon US, so that's definitely something I'll buy in the future in order to enjoy a bare minimum of the wonderful experience you mention. Besides, certain Italian cons regularly host early 80s' arcade cabs, so I'll be on the lookout next time I attend one. I appreciate your suggestions ^^

Ore no...kachi da!!

PSN: IkariLoona
Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):A Breath of Fresh Dawn" , posted Wed 19 Apr 20:48post reply

quote:

In truly random game news, there's going to be a comic book based on the old arcade game Centipede. Why does this exist?

Reminds me of when a guy from the US Bandai Namco branch tried to revalue some old Namco IPs by having known webcomic authors make webcomics of those series, the Shiftylook project - alas in most cases those authors barely cared about what stories those games actually had, and the Namco side of those whole thing barely cared to keep the work that was done around, as the website was taken down years ago... Maybe Atari's trying to pull off something similar but even more foolish by going with print comics of even less character-focused games?...

...!!

"Re(8):A Breath of Fresh Dragon's Trap" , posted Thu 20 Apr 13:04post reply

I was wondering what people's thoughts are of the recently released upgraded port of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap?

Not only that, but seems the other new Monster World Boy is coming along too. Can this be a resurgence of Wonder Boy/Monster World appreciation?

"Re(9):A Breath of Fresh Night Trap" , posted Wed 26 Apr 04:03post reply

Night Trap is being re-released... seriously!

"Re(10):A Breath of Fresh Night Trap" , posted Wed 26 Apr 09:59post reply

quote:

!?!

Actually, dollar for dollar, Night Trap might be the most internationally influential game of all time. Didn't this obscure American Mega CD game more or less lead to the ratings sytem there, which later spread to Japan and probably other places as well?

"Re(2):Re(10):A Breath of Fresh Night Trap" , posted Thu 27 Apr 01:34post reply

quote:
!?!

Actually, dollar for dollar, Night Trap might be the most internationally influential game of all time. Didn't this obscure American Mega CD game more or less lead to the ratings sytem there, which later spread to Japan and probably other places as well?

I think Night Trap's rerelease was inevitable in some shape or form, given how post-ironic the smaller-than-AAA videogame industry has become. I'm not even surprised at how it's getting a physical release, honestly. Now, for a low-low price, you can have a physical copy of a game that will be purchased largely for its LOL factor and for plenty of people will never even make it into their PS4. And for the record, I absolutely agree, Night Trap has been hugely influential-- it just doesn't need to played by anyone anymore.

quote:
I was wondering what people's thoughts are of the recently released upgraded port of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap?

I like it, and I think it's been beautifully animated and presented, but playing it has just made me realize how far its genre has progressed since the late 80's, and how much I would have preferred that they take the original as a baseline to make a new game. It's also surprising to me that they made the decision to completely remake the game while conforming precisely to the original rather than updating the gameplay in any way at all. It seems like a lot of trouble to go to for a game that hasn't aged all that well in some ways, like its impossible architecture, where falling down a well drops you in the desert, etc., and all of the tiny incremental improvements to the Wonder Boy series after this one.

So, it's not that I'm unhappy it was made, I'm just a little startled by it. The TurboGraphx version was one of the highlights of action games for me at the time, and I'm sure that that makes me the audience for this game, so... I guess great job? I bought it, so I suppose mission complete?

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.
chazumaru
1861th Post

"Re(9):A Breath of Fresh Dragon's Trap" , posted Fri 28 Apr 02:51post reply

quote:

It's extremely successful at what it specifically ought to do (and Karasu highlighted the limits of that scope pretty well). I also find hilarious that, thanks to compatible password codes, not only are the Switch and PS4 versions cross-save compatible, but so is the original Master System version in some weird cross-platform cross-generations cross-dimensions fashion. Square-Enix is actually trying a similar marketing trick with Dragon Quest XI, which will include an old-school password feature to share your progress (story-wise) between the 3DS and PS4 versions.

Même Narumi est épatée !
chazumaru
1863th Post

"New Nintendo 2DS" , posted Fri 28 Apr 12:26post reply

So this happened today. Released in Japan mid-July for JPY15.000, just in time for DQ11. The US will get it two weeks later for USD149.

Même Narumi est épatée !

"Re(1):New Nintendo 2DS apocalypse" , posted Fri 28 Apr 12:36post reply

quote:
So this happened today. Released in Japan mid-July for JPY15.000, just in time for DQ11.
!?!?! W, why would they do this? A successful new portable/home console hybrid launch with Switch, and then they undercut it with this? And after having gone out of their way to nix the Famicom Classic Mini? And at a time when all these classic DS games should be moving to an overdue Switch Virtual Console?

I literally cannot understand it. Help me, business jedi Chazu-wan Kenobi you're my only hope.

chazumaru
1864th Post

"Re(2):New Nintendo 2DS onslaught" , posted Fri 28 Apr 13:13post reply

Well, if you want to hear Nintendo's own insight on the 3DS market and the value they see for this new console, better than speculating, I recommend reading the corporate briefing which they now kindly provide in English rightaway to prevent mistranslations (the misbehavior of Internet is useful sometimes!). The whole thing has some interesting data and comments on the Switch and mobile performances as well. Whether this is a correct interpretation of the market or not is up to anyone's guess, though. We'll see soon enough!

Même Narumi est épatée !

"Re(3):New Nintendo 2DS onslaught" , posted Sat 29 Apr 02:16post reply

quote:
Well, if you want to hear Nintendo's own insight on the 3DS market and the value they see for this new console, better than speculating, I recommend reading the corporate briefing which they now kindly provide in English rightaway to prevent mistranslations (the misbehavior of Internet is useful sometimes!). The whole thing has some interesting data and comments on the Switch and mobile performances as well. Whether this is a correct interpretation of the market or not is up to anyone's guess, though. We'll see soon enough!

Thanks as always Chaz for pointing us toward some interesting info. I think it's a great idea to maintain the 2DS/3DS base, and what better way to do that than to reduce the cost of playing 3DS games even further. I know for a fact there are plenty of people for whom the $300US system and $60US games are a deal breaker as far as the Switch is confirmed. I'm happy, because it's probably means that the 3DS will continue to receive support for a bit more.

"The Lost Arcade returns" , posted Tue 2 May 10:05post reply

We talked about the Lost Arcade documentary on the Chinatown Fair and New York arcade scene of yesteryear before. It will be on itunes in a month! It's worth watching, and more interesting in some ways than if it'd been made by a community member.

Professor
5145th Post

MMCafe Owner

"jPSN coupon for GoldenWeek" , posted Tue 2 May 23:56:post reply

Japan is hitting its Golden Week holidays and Sony is running various offers and sales. One of them is a 10% Off coupon which isn't much but still something. So if you're planning on buying something, just use the code in the Twitter image!

https://mobile.twitter.com/psstore_jp/status/857474411611398144/photo/1

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 3 May 00:58]

Just a Person
1904th Post

"Time to decide!" , posted Fri 5 May 04:12post reply

After being left off of the Zero Escape: The Nonary Games collection, Zero Time Dilemma will finally get ported to PS4.

I wonder why Aksys didn't include it in the PS4 version of The Nonary Games. Well, apparently they're announcing that ZTD is being remastered to present "beautiful HD graphics" - which is interesting, because Vita's ZTD didn't look bad at all. The only thing that looked bad was how characters were animated, and I doubt this will be fixed (they didn't fix Clover's smiles in the Nonary Games' VLR game whenever she was supposed to be scared, sad or angry, so why would they fix animations now?).

Oh well, despite all of these complaints, I consider this good news. At least people who own a PS4 (and only a PS4) will be able to experience the full Zero Escape trilogy, just like the people who played it on the 3DS, Vita or PC. These games deserve all the sales and appreciation they can get, and much more.

sibarraz
639th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso

"Re(1):Time to decide!" , posted Fri 5 May 04:58post reply

quote:
After being left off of the Zero Escape: The Nonary Games collection, Zero Time Dilemma will finally get ported to PS4.

I wonder why Aksys didn't include it in the PS4 version of The Nonary Games. Well, apparently they're announcing that ZTD is being remastered to present "beautiful HD graphics" - which is interesting, because Vita's ZTD didn't look bad at all. The only thing that looked bad was how characters were animated, and I doubt this will be fixed (they didn't fix Clover's smiles in the Nonary Games' VLR game whenever she was supposed to be scared, sad or angry, so why would they fix animations now?).

Oh well, despite all of these complaints, I consider this good news. At least people who own a PS4 (and only a PS4) will be able to experience the full Zero Escape trilogy, just like the people who played it on the 3DS, Vita or PC. These games deserve all the sales and appreciation they can get, and much more.

Isn't the finale of the trilogy terrible? also I read that some puzzles lost all their charm without the second screen that the DS systems gave

Just a Person
1905th Post

"Re(2):Time to decide!" , posted Fri 5 May 05:15post reply

quote:
Isn't the finale of the trilogy terrible? also I read that some puzzles lost all their charm without the second screen that the DS systems gave

I'd say that's debatable. The most common complaints are about the animations, the roster (many players consider the new characters aren't charismatic, while some of the returning ones aren't as sympathetic as they used to be) and the ending (as it doesn't answer all the questions from the franchise's plot).

That said, most of these things are subjective. For instance, I actually like most of the new characters in ZTD (I do agree that some of the returning ones are quite unlikeable, though - then again, the same thing happened to Clover in VLR and that game was still fantastic), and I also like the idea of fragmenting the order of the story and puzzles and the decision moments (which could be compared to the Ally/Betray voting system in VLR, only more random and with much harsher consequences). It's also worth noting that most of the professional ZTD reviews are positive.

In the end, it's up to the player to experience the game and find out herself/himself whether s/he enjoyed it or not.

chazumaru
1871th Post

"Re(1):Time to decide!" , posted Fri 5 May 09:15post reply

quote:
I wonder why Aksys didn't include it in the PS4 version of The Nonary Games.

Même Narumi est épatée !

"Re(3):Time to decide!" , posted Fri 5 May 10:03post reply

quote:

I'd say that's debatable. The most common complaints are about the animations, the roster (many players consider the new characters aren't charismatic, while some of the returning ones aren't as sympathetic as they used to be) and the ending (as it doesn't answer all the questions from the franchise's plot).

That said, most of these things are subjective. For instance, I actually like most of the new characters in ZTD (I do agree that some of the returning ones are quite unlikeable, though - then again, the same thing happened to Clover in VLR and that game was still fantastic), and I also like the idea of fragmenting the order of the story and puzzles and the decision moments (which could be compared to the Ally/Betray voting system in VLR, only more random and with much harsher consequences). It's also worth noting that most of the professional ZTD reviews are positive.

In the end, it's up to the player to experience the game and find out herself/himself whether s/he enjoyed it or not.

On one hand, once again there is a clever presentation/mechanic hook that has a strong narrative connection. On the other hand, some of the actual story in ZTD is hare-brained. I know some players who seriously think that the new story information that is revealed in ZTD retroactively makes the story of the series worse, and that's quite arguably true. Given that this is a series that really wants you to ponder big questions and think deeply about things, and enjoys having big clever reveals, some of the macguffins introduced in this game absolutely beggar belief. I'd even say that one of the climactic moments of the game that is intended to have deep emotional impact as a result of the combination of a big reveal and big questions completely falls flat.

That said, it's still an interesting game, and I don't regret the time I spent playing it, for all my gripes with it.

Just a Person
1906th Post

"Re(4):Time to decide!" , posted Fri 5 May 22:45post reply

quote:
On one hand, once again there is a clever presentation/mechanic hook that has a strong narrative connection. On the other hand, some of the actual story in ZTD is hare-brained. I know some players who seriously think that the new story information that is revealed in ZTD retroactively makes the story of the series worse, and that's quite arguably true. Given that this is a series that really wants you to ponder big questions and think deeply about things, and enjoys having big clever reveals, some of the macguffins introduced in this game absolutely beggar belief. I'd even say that one of the climactic moments of the game that is intended to have deep emotional impact as a result of the combination of a big reveal and big questions completely falls flat.

That said, it's still an interesting game, and I don't regret the time I spent playing it, for all my gripes with it.

Yeah, I agree with most of that, except with ZTD making the story of the series worse (in some aspects, yes; in others, quite the opposite). As for the climactic moments, some do fall flat, but I think others are quite good and one of them is easily among the best in the series. The same goes for the surprises and twists in it.

I guess another way of answering sibarraz's question would be: ZTD is considered by the Zero Escape fans as the weakest game of the trilogy - however, since 999 and VLR are considered amazing gems, it means that ZTD being the worst isn't the same as being a bad game, by any means.

It is quite frustrating that, as the final chapter of the series, it doesn't show most characters from the other two games and barely explains what happened to them (or, in one specific character's case, why that character was created), though.

neo0r0chiaku
316th Post

Bronze Customer

"Nintendo Playstation prototype exposed." , posted Sat 6 May 12:26post reply

Team gets a Nintendo Playstation prototype to work.
Nintendo Playstation Prototype

Long Live I AM!
Micky Kusanagi
662th Post

"Re(1):Nintendo Playstation prototype exposed." , posted Sat 6 May 15:42post reply

Ben and team, you're my heroes. Thank you for this amazing feat. I've been waiting for this for ages. I can't help but think of all the games that would benefit from a CD remake with orchestrated music and fully animated cutscenes in the same vein as the PC Engine CD-ROM2, or a direct-to-CD launch. I'm mostly thinking about Zelda, Final Fantasy and Mario with anime intermissions and a perfect port of Chi No Rondo, which would make its way to the West thanks to the superior popularity of the Nintendo systems here. I just love to make up what-if scenarios involving this system, even though it's bittersweet to me.

Ore no...kachi da!!

"Project Rap Rabbit" , posted Sat 13 May 11:40post reply

What's this? A collaboration between the creators of Parappa the Rapper and Gitaroo Man?

U rappin': COOL

Micky Kusanagi
673th Post

"Re(1):Project Rap Rabbit" , posted Sat 13 May 17:27post reply

Fantastic. The mixture of traditional Japanese instruments and hip hop was executed flawlessly. The characters kinda look like they come from a Studio Ghibli movie, which I like a lot.

Ore no...kachi da!!

"Re(2):Project Rap Rabbit Wild Guns" , posted Mon 15 May 11:26post reply

quote:
Fantastic. The mixture of traditional Japanese instruments and hip hop was executed flawlessly. The characters kinda look like they come from a Studio Ghibli movie, which I like a lot.

Speaking of important revivals: Wild Guns Reload PC edition, it's here, it's heeeeeeeeere. A placeholder page, admittedly, but still!

"Re(3):Project Rap Rabbit Wild Guns" , posted Mon 15 May 19:07post reply

quote:
Speaking of important revivals: Wild Guns Reload PC edition, it's here, it's heeeeeeeeere. A placeholder page, admittedly, but still!

So, I didn't follow this quite closely because it was on a console I don't have, but if I understand correctly, this is a game MMC-approved and I could lose my membership if I fail to appreciate it?

Consider me in!

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(1):Project Rap Rabbit" , posted Mon 15 May 20:25post reply

It's only a teaser and Project Rap Rabbit already sounds great. The art style is quite interesting as well. I never knew such a collaboration could still happen!

As for Wild Guns PC, as always I fully endorse the game but I'm concerned that the Steam reviews will look disapprovingly at the 4-player mode since 1) there's no online and 2) it requires all players to have mastered the game already to make any progress. My hope is that a modding community will spring up and create a glorious online functionality to help spread the good word. (Assuming, of course, that's it's even mod-able).

GekigangerV
1976th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

"Re(2):Project Rap Rabbit - Kickstarter page" , posted Tue 16 May 01:24post reply

Link Here

Lowest tier to get the game is ~$39

The goal for the baseline game is 1.1 million dollars. Which is 6 levels.

Last stretch goal is a Switch version and backer exclusive costumes for Vs. mode at 4.95 million dollars.

I am all kickstartered out now. They appear to have a tentative date of Aug 2018 for delivery of rewards. I expect to hear a delay to early 2019 somewhere down the line.

Lord SNK

234th Post

Frequent Customer

"Iggy raising game!" , posted Wed 17 May 03:20post reply

quote:

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, and with it comes a new smartphone app releasing in Japan in late-June that will let you read the manga and play an Iggy-raising game.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2017/05/16/jojos-bizarre-adventure-getting-new-app-featuring-manga-iggy-raising-game/

Who doesn't like an Iggy's raising game?

"Re(1):Iggy raising game!" , posted Thu 18 May 10:15post reply

quote:
In addition to taking care of Iggy’s needs, he’ll also give you a daily fortune that comes with Coffee Gum as well.

An Iggy raising game, you say!? Ever since Kikkoken was out of the picture, I try to engage in Iggy raising at least once a week.

Mosquiton
2288th Post

"Re(2):Iggy raising game!" , posted Thu 18 May 11:15post reply

quote:
In addition to taking care of Iggy’s needs, he’ll also give you a daily fortune that comes with Coffee Gum as well.
An Iggy raising game, you say!? Ever since Kikkoken was out of the picture, I try to engage in Iggy raising at least once a week.

Sounds like a case of raising revengeance.

/ / /

"Re(3):Iggy raising game!" , posted Fri 19 May 11:07post reply

quote:
Sounds like a case of raising revengeance.

O, oh! Is that what "revengeance" meant after all this time?

I remember how innocent I was when I first registered at the Cafe, a nubile young school-uniformed 18-year-old...

Let's all raise Iggy together!

"Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders" , posted Fri 19 May 23:42post reply

The crossover Capcom could only dream of

Lots of Taito love in this one. No in-app purchases either, everyone can be unlocked in game.

Micky Kusanagi
685th Post

"Re(1):Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders" , posted Sat 20 May 05:25post reply

Wow that's so cool!! Arkanoid is one of those games you never get tired to come back to, and this VS edition looks full of cool ideas. The lack of in-app purchases touted as a selling point sounds so weird in this age, weird in a very refreshing way.

Ore no...kachi da!!

"Wolves hunt in packs!" , posted Tue 23 May 23:30post reply

Dragon's Dogma is going to be rereleased on PS4 and XB1 this fall. Will I buy the game yet again? Will I drink my iodine? Yeah, probably.

chazumaru
1878th Post

"Dragon's Dogma (again (again (again)))" , posted Tue 23 May 23:34post reply

Look who's back!
Even Japan will finally get the Steam version.
I wonder if this marks the end of DD Online...

In other random news:
ARMS Direct with the awesome Twintelle
The Best Neko Mario Time (every Neko Mario Time is the best Neko Mario Time)
I strongly recommend Thumper, one of my 3 favorite games of 2016
The Wonderboy III remake is also cool and there is a cool profile of its maker Omar Cornut over at USGamer
That game also looks interesting
Sequel to El Shaddai wait what!?

Même Narumi est épatée !
Lord SNK

236th Post

Frequent Customer

"El Shaddai :O" , posted Wed 24 May 03:19post reply

quote:
v=NcoDBxALC6U]Sequel to El Shaddai wait what!?

Just saw that trailer, it's an RPG instead of an action game. Siliconera has more details on the game and story.

I really loved El Shaddai on PS3, I hope changing the type of game that this will not sucks.

"Gothic horror pixel art platforming action" , posted Wed 24 May 06:32post reply

GHPAPA occasionally seems like its entire own kickstarter genre, or maybe I just have a very selective memory of the games I get shown. Oh well, another entrant into the arena is here:
It's so edgy

I actually like some of the sprite work! But I'm not sure how many more of these games I actually need.

"Re(1):Gothic horror pixel art platforming act" , posted Wed 24 May 09:15post reply

quote:
GHPAPA occasionally seems like its entire own kickstarter genre
I'm not sure how many more of these games I actually need.

I do believe Iggy developed a test to protect us from the hellish flood. Ah, here it is:
quote:
Also, anything with "retro" "Dark Souls" "Metroidvania" "8bit" and "rogue-like" raises a red flag, raise 3 and you're out.
Who knew that Dracula's greatest curse from beyond the (Konami-induced) grave would be to overrun the indie lands with undead legions of subpar Dracula clones? Then again, this one has nice looking tile work...

Rusty is still the only Dracula clone for me! <3

"Re(1):Gothic horror pixel art platforming act" , posted Thu 25 May 12:20post reply

quote:
GHPAPA occasionally seems like its entire own kickstarter genre, or maybe I just have a very selective memory of the games I get shown. Oh well, another entrant into the arena is here:
It's so edgy

Actually the devs are a Sevilla-based small Spanish indie studio, and all that gothic imagery is heavily based on Spanish Semana Santa, which is indeed as edgy, sordid and gloomy as it gets. I have the feeling that half the money they get on kickstarter will have to go to pay attorneys to fend off all those Catholic Parents Associations that are gonna ask for their heads on a spike.

A Talking about Japanese History sword in hand

"Re(1):Dragon's Dogma (again (again (again)))" , posted Tue 30 May 00:31:post reply

quote:
Look who's back!
Wait, isn't Dragon's Dogma the Cafe's official mascot? I feel like there should be more discussion of this. I do know that DD Online has Justice Gakuen skins coming out tomorrow, so the FBI has filed this game in its Person of Interest file.
quote:

That game also looks interesting Yoshi's Yoku's Island

I initially didn't recognize the enormity of a 25-year-late sequel to Sonic Spinball (?!) with an actually tolerable aesthetic, but you never know what people will demand!

SPEAKING OF dragons/monsters (uhh), the Switch's true destiny as Nintendo's redeemer has been revealed in the form of the Monster Hunter limited edition version for August 25. All persons failing to own a Switch after this date will be brutally punished or castigated for their foolishness. This may include me, but only if they don't manage to launch a goddamned virtual console by then.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 30 May 00:40]

"Re(2):Fire Emblem Echoes: Shut up Tobin!" , posted Wed 31 May 15:20post reply

Is it just me or is Shadows of Valentia the FE game we didn't ask for, but needed? It's more your traditional FE story in tone (no more dating sim aspects), greater emphasis on class changes, weapon triangle is now turned on its head, dungeon exploration, town interaction, and not to mention one of the best production and localization values a Fire Emblem game has gotten (eat your heart out PoR/RD/Awakening). The only thing that kind of feels iffy to me is the animation by Studio Khara.

I also find it odd that this game has some spiritual connections with Nier Automata: localization is handled by 8-4 (some of their best work yet), Alm is voiced by 9S (KyleMcCarely), and a soundtrack that blows other past installments away. One wonders though what a Yoko Taro directed FE will be like, though...

"Re(3):Fire Emblem Echoes: Shut up Sonic!" , posted Thu 1 Jun 10:29post reply

While making fun of Sonic games post-Mega Drive is an international pastime, the new Sonic Mania trailer is absolutely charming, right down to the delightful animation style from the Sonic CD opening. From Final Fantasy to Star Wars, sequels made not by the original creative team tend to be super-lame, but the Taxman has such a venerable pedigree from re-creating Sonic CD from scratch that I think his team gets special license. I suppose they'll suffer a bit from the absence of Dreams Come True or Sonic CD's nutty 808 State-inspired soundtrack, but I'm too busy being charmed by the reconstruction of legendary levels cut from Sonic 2 like Dust Hill Zone, the seeming reappearance of the Stardust Speedway race, or the creative new Eggman TV level to care.

chazumaru
1886th Post

"Famitsu Emblem Echoes" , posted Thu 1 Jun 13:24:post reply

Sfried: I also enjoyed FE Echoes a lot, although it felt a bit like enjoying the comfortable blanket of a third Castlevania game on GBA or DS, both extremely reliable and just enough worried about being seen as too safe so it feels obligated to mix up things a bit (see: Aria of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia). So it's not like I feel particularly proud to enjoy the game. The maps and units of Echoes are less interesting than the previous two games' equivalents, but I could not have jumped throught the hoops of a game as big as Fire Emblem If/Fates so soon, so I am glad they went for the remake of a much more compact and streamlined game.

The Best Fighting Game poll on Famitsu.com led to a fun discussion here so I thought I'd share the equally eye-opening "Top 20 best action-adventure games of all time" poll results:

20位 Shadow of the Colossus
19位 The Last of Us
18位 Rockman Dash
17位 Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain
16位 Resident Evil 7
15位 Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
14位 Resident Evil 2
13位 Forbidden Siren
12位 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
11位 Ryū Ga Gotoku Isshin
10位 Ico
09位 Resident Evil
08位 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
07位 Ryū Ga Gotoku 6
06位 Shenmue II
05位 Ryū Ga Gotoku 4
04位 Uncharted 4 ~A thief's end~
03位 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
02位 Shenmue
01位 Ryū Ga Gotoku 0

The lesson here is Sega fans have a lot of free time! I wondered about some possible meddling with the results to promote timely releases (ex. SFII winning the fighting game poll at the right time for the promotion of USF2 right in front of the just as topical Guilty GearXrd) but the total lack of Seiken Densetsu, just as the collection comes out, would indicate the results are genuine.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Thu 1 Jun 14:34]

Neo0r0chiaku
326th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Famitsu Emblem Echoes" , posted Thu 1 Jun 21:36post reply

quote:
Sfried: I also enjoyed FE Echoes a lot, although it felt a bit like enjoying the comfortable blanket of a third Castlevania game on GBA or DS, both extremely reliable and just enough worried about being seen as too safe so it feels obligated to mix up things a bit (see: Aria of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia). So it's not like I feel particularly proud to enjoy the game. The maps and units of Echoes are less interesting than the previous two games' equivalents, but I could not have jumped throught the hoops of a game as big as Fire Emblem If/Fates so soon, so I am glad they went for the remake of a much more compact and streamlined game.

The Best Fighting Game poll on Famitsu.com led to a fun discussion here so I thought I'd share the equally eye-opening "Top 20 best action-adventure games of all time" poll results:

20位 Shadow of the Colossus
19位 The Last of Us
18位 Rockman Dash
17位 Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain
16位 Resident Evil 7
15位 Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
14位 Resident Evil 2
13位 Forbidden Siren
12位 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
11位 Ryū Ga Gotoku Isshin
10位 Ico
09位 Resident Evil
08位 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
07位 Ryū Ga Gotoku 6

Wow, everything 3D except one game! No castlevania or 2D megaman. Killer 7 or Metroid. What is forbidden siren? One of the siren horror games? Oh and no Silent Hill lol!

Gosh many missing or maybe I am missing out. I personally like twilight princess over a link to the past.

Long Live I AM!

"Re(2):Famitsu Emblem Echoes" , posted Fri 2 Jun 00:44post reply

LttP and lots of Kazuma Kiryu... nothing wrong with this list!

chazumaru
1886th Post

"Re(3):Famitsu Emblem Echoes" , posted Fri 2 Jun 01:07post reply

quote:
What is forbidden siren? One of the siren horror games?

Ah! I tried to be clearer by using what I remembered as the Western name but it seems only Europe called it like that? Anyway, yes it is the original Siren.

Même Narumi est épatée !

"Re(4):Taxi Emblem Echoes" , posted Fri 2 Jun 04:02post reply

Siren sounds like a weird fit for the "action" part of "action adventure".... I mean, most of the game is about evading things that will instantly kill you!

Meanwhile,

A Crazy Taxi mobile game nobody asked for is released with a hilariously topical story hook about ride sharing.

Neo0r0chiaku
327th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Famitsu Emblem Echoes" , posted Fri 2 Jun 06:09post reply

quote:
What is forbidden siren? One of the siren horror games?

Ah! I tried to be clearer by using what I remembered as the Western name but it seems only Europe called it like that? Anyway, yes it is the original Siren.

I see thanks. So when did mission oriented tactical operation become considered under an adventure genre? Isn't that military or survival? Wait are those considered adventure? Wait then Resident Evil also? Geez! Confused or maybe I am really really behind!

I just have a different perception of action adventure. But if I remember corrctly, professor did say the voters manually type the names in.

Long Live I AM!

"Play Ryuu Ga Gotoku 6, get ripped" , posted Sat 3 Jun 14:41post reply

One of the many good reasons I should be playing Ryuu Ga Gotoku 6 is to make sure Kiryuu gets buff at the Rizap gym, which also happens to exist in real life. But in the most health-oriented gaming situation since Wii Fit, Famitsu's editor for the series got signed up for an intensive diet and weight training regimen at the same gym as Kiryuu, now three months in. The results are pretty good! Yeah, it's PR, but I'm amused. I feel like they could take this to the next level by tracking your real-life body mass and exercise regimen, and then having it affect how strong Kiryuu gets.

"Re(1):Play Ryuu Ga Gotoku 6, get ripped" , posted Mon 5 Jun 02:16post reply

quote:
The results are pretty good!

Good grief, the guy looks ten years younger! Just like Kazuma, that guy will be punching out yakuza, tigers and bears (oh my!) in no time.

"let's Hover like JSR with Naganuma Hideki" , posted Tue 6 Jun 08:29post reply

Anyone caught Hover yet? Sure, it's cribbing hard from Jet Set Radio, the subtitle is moronic, and the character designs aren't as good, but Sega hasn't done anything with the series for fifteen (!?!) years and they've got our electronica god Naganuma Hideki doing a SERIOUSLY funky track for the promo video!

"Re(1):let's Hover like JSR with Naganuma Hide" , posted Wed 7 Jun 00:41post reply

quote:
Anyone caught Hover yet? Sure, it's cribbing hard from Jet Set Radio, the subtitle is moronic, and the character designs aren't as good, but Sega hasn't done anything with the series for fifteen (!?!) years and they've got our electronica god Naganuma Hideki doing a SERIOUSLY funky track for the promo video!

I was a Kickstarter backer, and Naganuma's track is excellent stuff, but yeah, I'm a little disappointed with the general design. In a lot of ways though I always felt as though I was backing more the dream of Jet Set Radio (and the promise of Naganuma's music) than the resulting slightly off-brand take. It's like buying the store brand cola-- it's cola, sure, but it will always taste just a little bit off in a way that maybe can't be articulated.

I'm not sure if I missed this news, or if someone posted here about it while I was traveling, but it seems that there is an official english-language page for the latest from Vanillaware. I had seen the original teaser info about it ages ago, but I don'r recall seeing this latest dribble of info. I have to say that while the aesthetic of the characters and setting are fantastic, I... don't love the mechanics design in the slightest. Surely I can't be the only one?

"Re(2):let's Hover like JSR with Naganuma Hide" , posted Thu 8 Jun 13:36post reply

quote:
I always felt as though I was backing more the dream of Jet Set Radio (and the promise of Naganuma's music) than the resulting slightly off-brand take.
It could be that a pale simulacrum of Jet Set Radio is all we can hope for in this fallen millennium! How's it play?

Alternate take: goddamn if I wouldn't be happy to just treat the game as a cool bonus visualization/music video as long as it lets me go fast as hell while listening to Naganuma's unstoppable beats on infinite loop.

TAKE ME UP, UP, TO HEAVEN ABOVE
TAKE ME TO THE TOP TO THE TOP TO THE TOP