RANDOM GAMES! #31:Polytheism is the new Black - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (7767 Views )

chazumaru
1631th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"RANDOM GAMES! #31:Polytheism is the new Black" , posted Wed 10 Feb 15:59post reply

>>Random Games Crossover (#30)
>>Random Games #29

The JAEPO (Japan Amusement Expo) 2016 will be held in Makuhari next week.
Is anyone from the MMC planning to visit the event? I got an invitation today.

SMT4 Final came out today. It's a blast, but it is quite literally more of the same.
It seems 70-80% of Tokyo is the same map. Maybe the game ends "upstairs"?
There are neat minor UI improvements, and the Niyari/Grin system is slightly more sophisticated.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Replies:

Professor
4767th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):RANDOM GAMES! #31:Polytheism is the new" , posted Thu 11 Feb 06:45:post reply

quote:
The JAEPO (Japan Amusement Expo) 2016 will be held in Makuhari next week.
Is anyone from the MMC planning to visit the event? I got an invitation today.

<Friday

[edit] Come to think I don't know your current mail addy, can you hit me here?

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 11 Feb 07:37]

KTallguy
1483th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):RANDOM GAMES! #31:Polytheism is the new" , posted Thu 11 Feb 07:35post reply

I was thinking about getting SMT4 Final because I haven't played any of the old ones... is it better that the Devil Survivor 2 released in the US? I think the art style in that game feels a bit cheap...

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Spoon
3232th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):RANDOM GAMES! #31:Polytheism is the new" , posted Thu 11 Feb 08:25post reply

I think that the best SMT product out there lately (that isn't actually SMT) is Kill Six Billion Demons.

chazumaru
1632th Post

"Re(2):RANDOM GAMES! #31:Polytheism is the new" , posted Thu 11 Feb 09:21post reply

quote:
I was thinking about getting SMT4 Final because I haven't played any of the old ones... is it better that the Devil Survivor 2 released in the US? I think the art style in that game feels a bit cheap...

Story-wise, the game is a direct sequel to SMT4 and I am a bit surprised (from a business perspective) that it keeps referencing the events of the first game; I think it might be a little frustrating to begin with SMT4F directly. Furthermore, SMT4 has a budget edition now (if you plan to buy it in Japan), so it's a cheaper alternative.

I haven't played the Devil Survivor games (yet). I just know it's the series that introduced the skill inheritance system that allows fused demons to keep selected skills from their "parents", which I really enjoy in SMT4/F but is controversial among SMT fans.

The soundtrack is quite catchy, once again.

Spoon: thanks, I will read that during the weekend!

Même Narumi est épatée !

Iggy
10122th Post

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(3):RANDOM GAMES! #31:Polytheism is the new" , posted Thu 11 Feb 20:03post reply

I concur, 4F is not a good game to start, as it is a straight, direct sequel to the events (well... some events?) of the previous game. It has some QOL improvements to 4, but 4 was very good and already user friendly anyway.
On the other hand, since it recycles heavily environments from 4, I wouldn't necessarily advise to chain-play 4 and 4F either if that's your intention.

Maou
3067th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"RANDOM GAMES! #31:Karasu is the new Black" , posted Fri 12 Feb 06:17post reply

No real news links, just staking out a space here to pressure Karasu as much as possible to talk up his new game that has been released this very day.

meanwhile, you can watch a flawless victory against Karasu-man

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Professor
4769th Post

MMCafe Owner

"JAEPO in a week" , posted Fri 12 Feb 08:50post reply

So as Chaz was saying, the Jaepo arcade show is going on in just a week, quite coincedently the day after SFV launches in Japan. The show for the last few years didn't have anything big in terms of traditional video games-- things are going more and more into the direction of card games nowadays because they offer an experience not possible with consoles.

One of the anticipated machines is Sega's new Kantai Collection cabinet, which I think is the first machine that actually prints its trading cards on the spot with a built-in printer.

You need to set the cards in the machine when playing, so people have been joking that the cards get shredded when you lose your units

Btw Chazumaru, can you hit me here when you read this? Not sure of your current mail addy. Thx.

karasu
1603th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):RANDOM GAMES! #31:Karasu is the new Bla" , posted Fri 12 Feb 09:26post reply

quote:
No real news links, just staking out a space here to pressure Karasu as much as possible to talk up his new game that has been released this very day.

WHO DARES DISTURB MY SLUMBER?

I wasn't originally going to mention it at all since I am shy and it doesn't have much to do with the kinds of games we talk about around here, but then it occurred to me that a bunch of folks here who I also know outside of the Cafe already know about it, so... yeah. Anyway, it's this thing, for iPad and iPhone (Android version coming soon).

Several amazing and generous people here at the Cafe helped me out with various things, but I'll let them pop in and fess up to helping rather than putting them on the spot. However... you may want to have the sound up when playing the arcade level to hear a certain amount of Special Guest Voice Acting.

Anyway... I'll go away now
quote:

meanwhile, you can watch a flawless victory against Karasu-man

Always loved that fight!

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

HokutoAndy
101th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):RANDOM GAMES! #31:Karasu is the new Bla" , posted Wed 17 Feb 14:01post reply

Replayed Kirby Superstar and realized how much grappling there is in that game. Now I'll have to track down an extra copy of Superstar Ultra on the DS somewhere in Thailand...

Buggzy and Suplex Kirby have *eight* different finishing throws after grabbing an opponent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOy3d-enIZ8

Biospark and Ninja Kirby can do the Inazuma drop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhqLsMNHz6k

Knuckle Joe/ Fighter Kirby throws enemies like they're bombs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPmHG89tXKI

Kirby Superstar has some of my favorite movesets in a sidescroller/adventure/platformer/metroidvania(?)

What other 2D non-fighting games out there have grappling?

Spoon
3242th Post

"Re(3):RANDOM GAMES! #31:Karasu is the new Bla" , posted Wed 17 Feb 14:29post reply

quote:
Replayed Kirby Superstar and realized how much grappling there is in that game. Now I'll have to track down an extra copy of Superstar Ultra on the DS somewhere in Thailand...

Buggzy and Suplex Kirby have *eight* different finishing throws after grabbing an opponent:

Kirby Superstar has some of my favorite movesets in a sidescroller/adventure/platformer/metroidvania(?)

I remember trying to hold on to the beetle power for as long as possible in Kirby because of all the different throws it could do!

A lot of Treasure's games which are not strictly beat'em ups have throwing and grappling. Guardian Heroes and Mischief Makers (SHAKE SHAKE) have it as fairly prominent pieces of the games. Kirby's grappling is a little one-sided, because like most of Kirby's attacks, the enemies can't really do anything about it. You could say Metal Gear has an awful lot of grappling in it, too, especially MGSV which has a vast number of contextual CQC grapple KOs.

Maou
3076th Post

"Re(4):RANDOM GAMES! #31:Karasu is the new Bla" , posted Wed 17 Feb 14:46post reply

Sonic Team's Ristar the Shooting Star on Mega Drive is an incredibly charming, cute platformer that's built entirely around grappling to the tune of a perfect soundtrack. The main character has extendable arms that he uses to grab enemies and either headbutt them by flying into his arms, or swing and pull on them like Spiderman. He can also pull down trees, pull himself down to lower platforms, and swing around. Mostly, though, he grabs things.

Loona
1005th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):RANDOM GAMES! #31:Karasu is the new Bla" , posted Wed 17 Feb 21:35:post reply

quote:

Cannon Dancer/Osman is mostly strider-like, but has throws as part of the possible moves.

Guacamelee apparently mixes up its platforming with some throws, which makes perfect sense considering you control a guy in a luchador outfit.

Edit: There's also Sabin/Mash's Suplex and Bum Rush moves in Final Fantasy VI. I'm not sure of the fighting game section of Live-A-Live had throws too, it's been a while, but it certainly had a counter that simulated breaking/twisting an opponent's limps, disabling punches or kicks for a while.

Meanwhile, PXZ2 is out and justifying its existence.
Incidentally, some of the moves performed during the actual combat sections are throws, which can be activated or not depending on the state of the victim during attacks, and having throws land may affect the combos you can get through the use of assists.

...!!

[this message was edited by Loona on Wed 17 Feb 21:48]

Mosquiton
2126th Post

"Re(3):RANDOM GAMES! #31:Karasu is the new Bla" , posted Thu 18 Feb 08:01:post reply

quote:

A lot of great responses already have called out any examples I could have thought of (Osman is a fantastic example), but I have to say, I 100% feel you on this. There's really something special about throwing bad guys around in any dimension.

Kirby Superstar is great and I am all about those grappling moves... he has truly mastered the art of suplex and the throws all feel very satisfying.

I mean, what honestly feels better?

This?

Or this.

EDIT: Well this seems too obvious but there's always the doki doki Mario crew: Shy Guys getting wrecked.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Thu 18 Feb 08:08]

Spoon
3245th Post

"Re(4):RANDOM GAMES! #31:Karasu is the new Bla" , posted Thu 18 Feb 08:58post reply

And how could I forget, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers: The Great Grapple. The whole game was about lifting the other player and throwing them into pits. Just like in Fire Pro Wrestling, whoever pressed the grab button with the most precise timing upon getting close enough won. Together with using enemies that could kill you through damage and throwing objects at each other to stun each other, it was an elegant grappling game that was surprisingly Disney-license.

What? You mean that the game was actually a scrolling platformer? So much story and single player content in this fighting game! Truly, one of Capcom's more complete efforts in this regard.

Gojira
3175th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(4):RANDOM GAMES! #31:Karasu is the new Bla" , posted Sat 20 Feb 11:28:post reply

quote:

Meanwhile, PXZ2 is out and justifying its existence.

The game's been discussed here when the Japanese version came out, but it's worth reviving now that the unrestrained localization of this game has taken on a life of its own. Xiaomu drops references to any and every anime or game: Gunsmith Cats, Bad Dudes, Castle of Shikigami, Cheetahmen, it's insane. The chapter where Axel first shows up is literally called (I shit you not) "Boulevards of Belligerence."

It's really making the game more fun than it has any right to be.

Oh, and I guess the success of the original got them to do some proper music licensing this time. The intro has full vocals and Radio Flyer is fully represented.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 20 Feb 11:31]

HokutoAndy
102th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4): Jodorowsky's Strider, starring Dio" , posted Mon 22 Feb 03:49post reply

Thanks, these are a great selection of grappletossing.

quote:

Cannon Dancer/Osman is mostly strider-like, but has throws as part of the possible moves.

Now that's what I call a tiger genocide

And what a pleasant scissors kick grapple throw into misting a whole bunch of dudes

Mosquiton
2131th Post

"Re(5): Jodorowsky's Strider, starring Dio" , posted Mon 22 Feb 04:48post reply

quote:
Thanks, these are a great selection of grappletossing.

Now that's what I call a tiger genocide

And what a pleasant scissors kick grapple throw into misting a whole bunch of dudes

These gifs would be a perfectly reasonable response to someone asking "Are games art?"

I need to play this game again. I need more hours in the day.

/ / /

HokutoAndy
103th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6): The Clash" , posted Tue 23 Feb 18:11post reply

Came across this wonderful segment of Weapon Clashing from a Guilty Gear tournament.

What was the first game to do something like that? I don't recall any games outside of weapon fighting games doing it.

Bushido Blade 2 makes it a core defensive mechanic where the only way to block or parry is to use an attack of your own to deflect an incoming attack. From what I remember, using a horizontal attack to deflect an incoming vertical attack (and vice versa) resulted in a 'parry' effect where you get an opening for a counter attack, while using the same plane of attack (vertical vs vertical and so on) against an incoming attack was a neutral 'block' effect.

Spoon
3253th Post

"Re(7): The Clash" , posted Tue 23 Feb 18:39post reply

quote:
Came across this wonderful segment of Weapon Clashing from a Guilty Gear tournament.

What was the first game to do something like that? I don't recall any games outside of weapon fighting games doing it.

You have somehow missed the many posts about Asuka 120% Burning Fest around here! Because the modern version of clashing (i.e. it is treated as a hit for both players, allowing them to cancel into other actions) which you see in GG and other anime-styled fighting games was almost certainly pioneered there. Asuka 120% Burning Fest was first released in 1994. I really wouldn't call it a weapon-based 2D fighter in any way, too.

The first game to feature it in any form, though, probably was a weapon-based fighting game, but it might not have been in the form of cancellable deflection. Samurai Shodown locked the two characters together into a mashing contest when two attacks collided, and SamSho came out in 1993. Weaponlord in 1995 had a multi-tiered deflection/parrying system that had some nuance, but it was not focused on high-frequency hit-on-hit clashes.

Of course, the best beat'em up in this regard is the blatant Guardian Heroes ripoff Panzer Bandit. The answer to every problem in that game if you aren't the robot is to mash harder and/or jump cancel.

Iggy
10142th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(8): The Clash" , posted Tue 23 Feb 20:17post reply

I would add Justice Gakuen to the list (which could qualify as a weapon fighter if you play Shôma). I'm not sure clashing had any cancelling properties, but it added 1 power gauge to each player I think.

Spoon
3255th Post

"Re(9): The X" , posted Thu 25 Feb 14:51post reply

Project X Zone 2 looks awfully tempting, and it makes me wonder: who is out there who actually has played to completion every game that is featured in it?

Among Bravely Default, Bravely Second, SMT4FE, PXZ2, which is most worth the while? I actually like finishing games, which is a problem when it comes to long RPGs.

Iggy
10146th Post

"Re(10): The X" , posted Thu 25 Feb 21:00post reply

quote:
Project X Zone 2 looks awfully tempting, and it makes me wonder: who is out there who actually has played to completion every game that is featured in it?

On the top of my head, I'm missing Sakura Taisen 5, God Eater, the weird new Shining whatever... I guess Jill is from Bio RE1, so that one as well. I think X/Zero/Sigma are from Rockman X4, so that one. Not played a lot of Virtua Fighter, didn't finish End of Eternity nor NxC... and don't care about Shenmue, Tales or .Hack. And I'm sure I forgot a couple.

Indeed, that would require some long investment! Or luck.

quote:
Among Bravely Default, Bravely Second, SMT4FE, PXZ2, which is most worth the while? I actually like finishing games, which is a problem when it comes to long RPGs.

I liked Bravely Default (even before the fine-tuning of the ++ version), but you need resilience to repetitive stuff (not so much grinding as "literally doing the same thing over and over for 2-3 hours if you want to see all the endings"). Its charm resides mostly on being a traditional JRPG, with a traditional story and job changes, something that was welcome after all the FF13 fiasco.
If you have played such games recently (including FF5 or DQ7 or whatever), the anime tropes might get annoying fast.
I absolutely couldn't cope with the demo of Bravely Second. Less charm, more animu.

SMT4F is great. Have you played SMT4? The map is about 80% identical, the system is almost the same with a fresh coat of polish to make things better, so either you loved it and want more of the same, or you played it long ago enough to not mind revisiting it.
If you haven't, however, you can jump directly in Final without issue. You'll miss the direct references to 4, but they are explained well enough or don't amount to much. Also, the scenario in 4 had a great concept but awful execution, so it's really not worth wasting 50 hours on it just for the scenario when 4F exists.

PxZ2 was very funny. I loved it a lot, but I dropped out of it a couple of missions before the end. The fact that it's difficult to stomach more than one mission, two at best, in one sitting makes it difficult to play in a focused manner.

HokutoAndy
104th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10): The X" , posted Fri 26 Feb 03:08post reply

quote:

Bravely Default has a lot of depth for figuring out "destroy the boss in one turn" combos of your own. It feels cool for your Dark Knight/Vampire to use a bunch of "convert HP into damage" darkness moves then finish with a hitpoint draining blow to get yourself topped off, or your samurai/ninja engages in a duel of counter-blows that it cant lose.

Bravely Default kind of reminds me of card games like M:tG in that regard, a lot of fun is in setting up the combos.

Spoon
3256th Post

"Re(2):Re(10): Tap for X" , posted Fri 26 Feb 11:45post reply

quote:

Have you played SMT4?

The answer to this question is no, I haven't. At the time when SMT4 was newish, I had relatively recently beaten Strange Journey, so I wasn't in the mood for anything SMT or that involved heavy dungeon crawling.

quote:
crazy combos in Bravely Default

The pleasant art and what I've heard about the game systems, crazy combos and all, are the certainly the draw for me.

Gojira
3176th Post

"Re(3):Re(10): Tap for X" , posted Fri 26 Feb 16:00post reply

quote:
The pleasant art and what I've heard about the game systems, crazy combos and all, are the certainly the draw for me.

Bravely Default is a must-play. I could talk about its features but it's more fun to discover them yourself. Some of them are quite surprising! But here's one: on the menu screen if you touch the touch screen Airy looks where you touch no matter what she's doing. I had an inexplicable compulsion to spend entirely too much time spinning her head around when I should have been saving.

sfried
865th Post

PSN: n/a
Wii: NNID:sfried

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5): SUPER. HOT." , posted Sat 27 Feb 15:28post reply

So I haven't been able to find the time to finish Xenoblade Chronicles X, somehow I managed to squeeze in some quality hours with a particular time-bending first person game that has been making a lot of buzz lately.

There's actually a fair amount of variety between the levels, but it's rather short. Most of the meat comes from tinkering with the mechanics (katanas can slice bullets for example, and while you cannot crouch in this game, many people under estimate the possibilities jumping opens up), which begs the question why isn't there a SuperHot level editor? I always wanted to make a level filled with roman busts playing Diana Ross music in the background (in slo mo).

Spoon
3259th Post

"Re(6): SUPER. HOT." , posted Sun 28 Feb 08:13post reply

I played the prototype way back when, but I was quite surprised to see the price the final game was going for. $35 is pretty high, and this is coming off of the whole Firewatch "indie game that lasts probably not more than 5 hrs. costing >$20". The trailer for the game is abysmally bad, though, since it just looks like an interestingly styled FPS game that occasionally has cool slowdown moments.

It's also interesting how uninteresting the action in the game looks when a completed stage is replayed at normal speed.

I like to think that SUPERHOT, Hotline Miami (that "hot" connection...), and Ronin are these three exemplars of OHKO action games. Hotline Miami has no time concessions unlike the other two, but the intensity of precisely executing action where the penalty for a single mistake is death is there. They aren't the same as the oldschool OHKO action games in that you don't have a choice but to restart at the checkpoint upon hit (unlike, say, Contra), most of the enemies die in 1 hit with exceptional enemies requiring a small number more (unlike, say, Contra), and enemy attacks are extremely fast and you have to very deliberately play around them, rather than just nonchalantly navigating around them as they come (think about enemy bullet speeds in Hotline Miami vs. Contra).

sfried
866th Post

Wii: NNID:sfried

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(7): SUPER. HOT." , posted Sun 28 Feb 12:22post reply

quote:
I played the prototype way back when, but I was quite surprised to see the price the final game was going for. $35 is pretty high, and this is coming off of the whole Firewatch "indie game that lasts probably not more than 5 hrs. costing >$20".
Funny I paid only $22 (off Steam). I hear some places (Greenman Gaming) actually sell it for $15 or maybe less.

It's interesting you bring Contra's bullet speed and dodging. In the case here, it can be easy to dodge a guy with an assault rifle in an open space prodided you have the right setup/approach. What the game does is use the level to create chokepoints that both hamper/aid the player. This is usually balanced out by spawning enemies along given trajectories towards where a player might traverse in.

Spoon
3261th Post

"Re(8): SUPER. HOT." , posted Sun 28 Feb 13:02post reply

quote:
Funny I paid only $22 (off Steam). I hear some places (Greenman Gaming) actually sell it for $15 or maybe less.

I blame the weak Canadian dollar! The game actually had a 10% discount (which is still going) immediately on release here, but that still only brings it down to $32.

quote:
dodging

I do remember being able to sidestep bullets, as well as being able to use even the slightest wall protrusion to dodge shots, and it's cool to see how dangerous it makes enemy shotguns because of just how much farther you have to move to get out of the way. You're right, sidestepping bullets from a single guy with a pistol/assault rifle is a par-for-the-course thing, unless you are surrounded or in some hallway that restricts your sideways movement.

One of the cooler things I've seen in an STG which I actually kind of want in SUPERHOT because all enemy bullets are OHKO is the lethal shot indicator from Ring ^-27. It's a bullet hell game, but it changes the color of any enemy bullet which would hit you in your current position (so if you moved sufficiently, those bullets would no longer be on a path that would hit you and would change color to reflect that, while other bullets that would be on a path to hit you in your new position will change color accordingly). In SUPERHOT, I remember that sometimes I wasn't really sure if a shot was going to hit me or not, because the first-person view doesn't let me see my character's body. It would certainly make the game easier, so maybe it could just be an optional/easy mode thing that you have to turn off when you want to challenge the legitimate records.

chazumaru
1642th Post

"Re(10): The X" , posted Sun 28 Feb 13:09post reply

I'd really like to replay old shooting games like Gradius or Battle Garegga with a "Superhot" mechanic added on top.

quote:

That's a funny question/challenge! That said, having played all games is daunting enough; I don't think I have ever touched a .Hack game, personally. Otherwise I'd be good on that front.

quote:

My favorite game in there is SMT4F. I am a bit more worried than Iggy to recommend playing SMT4F without having played SMT4, although I agree it does a lot of little things better and it's possible to jump in fresh as there is a crash course wiki inside the game to keep you up to date with the characters and events of SMT4. However, it's really a direct sequel to the events of SMT4, especially its neutral route ending, and I think you lose some of the fun if you jump in FINAL directly. Of course, were you to play SMT4 first, you'd face the issue that you'll be burnt and won't play SMT'F for a while.

One nice thing is the game is quite easy / simple to break, especially for SMT4 veterans. It's the main issue I have with the game (I really should have played in Hard mode) but that also means you should be able to go through the game rather quickly if you just want to rush through.

I don't know if you own a Japanese 3DS but at the moment, SMT4 FINAL is only available in Japanese, whereas all other games have been released in English and in North America / Europe.

SMT4 is frequently on sale on the US and EU eShop. So I'd say it's a good deal. I think it took me around 75-80 hours to finish SMT4 but I am a completist so I ran around a lot to complete the pokédex. I am sure it can be done in 45-50 hours. I am currently 30 hours into SMT4F and I believe I am around halfway through the game.

Finishing Bravely Default will take you a long time (especially if you want to see the real ending). I think most people reach the first ending after 25-30 hours, and reach the real ending after 60 hours. But personally, I enjoyed the game and battle/grinding mechanic so much I was only halfway through after 60 hours.

Finishing Bravely Second might not be very fun if you haven't played BD before, as you'll feel you are missing on most references. It's a direct sequel to the first game. That being said, the battle system in BS is even better than BD, and you travel through the same world anyway (with new locations on top) so you'll probably not want to touch BS after playing BD. So maybe the best solution is to spoil yourself Bravely Default thoroughly through a Wiki/FAQ/Youtube and go through Bravely Second directly?

Although I said above my favorite game is the SMT4+SMT4F duology, I would rather recommend Bravely Default (or Bravely Second, whichever). This game did a lot of things right and will have a bigger influence over the direction Japanese RPG take in the near future (as you can see from recent/upcoming SQEX and FuRyu outputs), so it seems to me a more important game to have played overall.

PXZ2 is a nice girl and I am sure she can be trusted to hold everyone's bags alone in the corner while they're dancing and having fun.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
3262th Post

"Re(2):Re(10): The X" , posted Sun 28 Feb 13:43post reply

quote:
I'd really like to replay old shooting games like Gradius or Battle Garegga with a "Superhot" mechanic added on top.

Or maybe Shiren's Mysterious STG.

quote:
RPG thoughts

Very insightful! What do you see as the elements of Bravely Default that will be most imitated or adapted in the time to come? What little I know of it seems like it and FE Awakening both have some canny adoptions of web/mobile game gimmicks in otherwise thoroughly single player games. FE Awakening redefining standards of its own series was quite a feat, but that's probably another topic.

Iggy
10149th Post

"Re(3):Re(10): The X" , posted Sun 28 Feb 21:16post reply

I think Chaz meant that Bravely Default convinced many people that JRPG didn't need to invent the wheel anew each time and go into more and more high-concept universe (FF13, End of Eternity, Star Ocean 4, god knows what else). You can take good old recipes, add a coat of fresh paint (though BD adds a very contemporary twist to it, Higurashi/Madoka-style) and people will enjoy it much more than the latest Kingdom Heart fanfic.
I wonder how much of it weighted on Star Ocean 5, since the devs sound like they understand SO4 was a huge mistake and even seem relieved to be allowed to make a more traditional SO.
(Am I right?)

As for Megaten 4F, I agree, the game is too easy. I even changed to hardmode 10 hours ago because I was tired to stomp over everything, and to be honest, the only difference I noticed was that the boss fights are longer. I still haven't died once. And even without buying the DLC, simply using the Internet StreetPass a couple of times with a bit of luck is enough to get some game-breaking items for free.
Anyway there's no penalty when you die, not even the Charon tax, I'm not sure diying more often would change much...
I still enjoy the game, but it really has become a Pokémon game: gonna catch them all, and the campaign is just a slog to slow down the acquisition of the higher-tier mons. Next step is online battling. Can my Dionysus beat your Osiris?

HokutoAndy
105th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10): The X" , posted Tue 1 Mar 12:16post reply

quote:
What do you see as the elements of Bravely Default that will be most imitated or adapted in the time to come?

The visual style I figure, other games like Pokemon have carried on the tradition of SD models into 3D, makes me wish the new Pokemon games also had painted instead of 3D backgrounds. It's online helper feature is also nice, being able to summon another play for one super move gives you a sense of community (and competition to go "He did 9999 x11 damage?! I can do that...") without taking away from the single player experience.

Well what I'd like for people to adopt (but I doubt many will) is the Bravely Default system of "Spend one turn defending to use two turns consecutively later". In nearly any other RPG, turn based or action/cooldown, taking the defensive is something rather passive and ineffective except for some particular boss fight with a timer AoE, but BD makes it a key part of going on the offensive in any battle.

It was kind of under utilized in BD too, I had been going through the first hours of the game with auto-attacking until I encountered some orc enemies that would defend, take my hits, then attack twice and KO my party. After that I was cautious to see enemy attack patterns but it felt like nearly a dozen hours later that I encountered another enemy that would defend regularly.

For me, the key to enjoying turn based mechanics (...and action ones too) is every command you enter makes a difference. The worst is when you have to hit "attack, attack, ...its not dead yet attack" against an enemy with bloated hitpoints but puny damage potential. Bravely Default did this very, very nicely.

Spoon
3266th Post

"Unprofessional Gaming: DOTA2" , posted Thu 3 Mar 04:05post reply

MOBAs aren't exactly the most popular genre around here, but one of the biggest ones out there, DOTA2, has been holding a major tournament this past week. "Major" being defined as a company-funded, company-sanctioned event arranged at the start of the game's season of which there are only a few, held at major geographic regions of the game.

The one going on is being held in Shanghai. It is an absolute disaster, of such an extent that the fans are literally left wondering day after day just how much worse it can get.

Some "highlights" include:
- the person hired to be the host of the commentators is fired after like 1 day
- the production company for the English stream is utterly inept, and the lady hired to be an interpreter has had to take on directorial role at it
- the facilities for the teams are somewhere between laughable and nonexistent, revealed in tweet after tweet from the players themselves
- the soundproof booths that the teams play in, the existence of which is an established standard in the esports MOBA world, smell of glue and have the Chinese venue commentators clearly audible in (huge advantage to Chinese-speaking teams)
- matches have never managed to start on time, usually 1hr late
- the opening ceremony was straight up cancelled
- in the most recent day of the playoff round, due to game start delays, the games could not be finished on time. So all attendees were told to go home and that the remaining games would be finished on-line... except that I don't even know if there is a venue for the foreign teams to use for this.

There have been legendary disaster tournaments in the past for many games, but this is certainly the current leader in terms of disaster for a big-money, official tournament.

GekigangerV
1925th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Unprofessional Gaming: DOTA2" , posted Thu 3 Mar 04:24post reply

quote:
MOBAs aren't exactly the most popular genre around here, but one of the biggest ones out there, DOTA2, has been holding a major tournament this past week. "Major" being defined as a company-funded, company-sanctioned event arranged at the start of the game's season of which there are only a few, held at major geographic regions of the game.

The one going on is being held in Shanghai. It is an absolute disaster, of such an extent that the fans are literally left wondering day after day just how much worse it can get.

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

I don't follow the MOBA scene, but I heard about the commentator stuff since Gabe commentated on it himself and I looked at a "highlight" vid of his stuff and I really couldn't feel him as personality, but
I guess he is a popular streamer though.

It felt rather juvenile in the sense of it is "funny" stuff if you are a Junior High kid. "LOL, he said "Cunt."" I am unsure how he performed as play-by-play or if he did any at all and just joked the whole time. I like raunchy humor here and there, but the overload of stuff is really grating.

Spoon
3267th Post

"Re(2):Unprofessional Gaming: DOTA2" , posted Thu 3 Mar 04:55post reply

quote:

I don't follow the MOBA scene, but I heard about the commentator stuff since Gabe commentated on it himself and I looked at a "highlight" vid of his stuff and I really couldn't feel him as personality, but
I guess he is a popular streamer though.

It felt rather juvenile in the sense of it is "funny" stuff if you are a Junior High kid. "LOL, he said "Cunt."" I am unsure how he performed as play-by-play or if he did any at all and just joked the whole time. I like raunchy humor here and there, but the overload of stuff is really grating.

Him getting hired when that's been his shtick for awhile is one thing, him getting fired for it was a bit of a head scratcher and lolwat moment, but things getting substantially worse from there was truly unexpected. The people that went to the venue yesterday literally only got to see half of the games they paid to see. This tournament is going to be one for the books, but not in the way that anybody wanted.

Spoon
3268th Post

"Re(3):Unprofessional Gaming: DOTA2" , posted Thu 3 Mar 08:47post reply

This is comedy you can't even make up.
Because of the lack of an actual desk at which the Russian commentators would sit, they just sat in chairs, elevated the cameras, and held their arms up as if there was a table there.

It reminds me of that time when there was a fighting game tournament in which one of the matches had to be played in a bathroom.

Ishmael
5405th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(4):Unprofessional Gaming: DOTA2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 00:26post reply

quote:
This is comedy you can't even make up.
Because of the lack of an actual desk at which the Russian commentators would sit, they just sat in chairs, elevated the cameras, and held their arms up as if there was a table there.

It reminds me of that time when there was a fighting game tournament in which one of the matches had to be played in a bathroom.

Hahahaha, what is the point of that? There's no shame in not sitting at a desk. Trying to fake something that no one in the audience would think twice about is a symptom of an amazingly poorly constructed tournament. I know live events are an exercise in controlled chaos but when problems arise the organizers should probably go with the sanest solution.

Professor
4794th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Gyakuten Saiban 6 demo" , posted Mon 7 Mar 01:44post reply

It's Japanese-language heavy as usual but for anyone who wants to try it out--
http://game.capcom.com/gyakutensaiban/6/trial_play/

Spoon
3271th Post

"Re(1):Gyakuten Saiban 6 demo" , posted Mon 7 Mar 12:43post reply

quote:
It's Japanese-language heavy as usual but for anyone who wants to try it out--
http://game.capcom.com/gyakutensaiban/6/trial_play/

I'm really impressed with how the Gyakuten Saiban series is willing to age its characters, and have them behave in ways that reflects their core character sensibilities while also reflecting changes in their life. Ema (GS4 bonus case sidekick) going from the chipper "SCIENCE!!!" sidekick to a bitter and cynical person who basically failed grad school was a shocking leap that I think many other character-driven franchises wouldn't have dared to do. Mayoi going from the teenage helper to a an adult lady is a leap, and it'll be interesting to see how she's changed. In fact, by now shouldn't she be the same age or even older than her sister was at the start of GS1?

Ironically, the one other Capcom franchise that I think about when it comes to having time pass is Resident Evil.

chazumaru
1647th Post

"Re(2):Gyakuten Saiban 6 demo" , posted Tue 8 Mar 23:37post reply

I really like what Eshiro has done with the series overall since he has been fully in charge. To be honest, I am not sure Takushu has fared much better with his work on Gyakuten Layton and Daigyakuten...

GS5 was a nice game, which both knew its limitations as a non-Takushu game and understood the many issues of GS4: it had a nicer story and a better bad guy, a much better prosecutor than the Bishōnen duo of GS4, it made Odoroki/Apollo much more interesting and useful as a sidekick than as the new protagonist, the heroine was likeable (although I am not sure we needed her in GS6) and the game even corrected the way Naruhodo/Phoenix aged as a character by erasing the "joe cool" persona and just make him a wiser, older Naruhodo. I am fairly convinced GS6 will do something cool with the new setting. Also, using MT Framework was an unexpectedly great idea. I am a bit worried we'll get a Naruhodo x Mayoi romance angle in the finale to "reward" long time fans but whatever. Her adult design is really nice.

GS5 also fixed a lot of issues with the game mechanics of the series, admittedly by removing some of the freedom in the game, but that's part of knowing what you can and can't do well. They have also done a good job leveraging new releases on 3DS for core fans, followed by iOS ports later on.

Outside of the game itself, it's interesting that GS6 is being supported by an anime series shown in prime time and a collaboration with the next Taiko no Tatsujin. It will be interesting to see if the series manages to grow back beyond 400k at full price.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
3275th Post

"Re(3):Gyakuten Saiban 6 demo" , posted Wed 9 Mar 05:58post reply

This game seems silly

what are your thoughts about it

I just want haiku

Maou
3089th Post

"Re(4):Gyakuten Saiban 6 demo" , posted Wed 9 Mar 08:05post reply

quote:
This game seems silly

what are your thoughts about it

I just want haiku

Ha!

Fuurai No Shiren
Is true samurai roguelike
But the art is fun

neo0r0chiaku
131th Post

XBL: IAMDC1

Regular Customer

"Re:VG Musuem and JP VGs on Amazon JP for USA" , posted Wed 9 Mar 22:37:post reply

Just read two interesting articles recently from Kotaku.
One is a Video Game Musuem being held in Japan. It is great to see something like this. Let alone a great idea and makes me wonder why I didn’t make something like this! What stood out to me is they had a booth for Steel Battalion with its special huge controller. That is a good piece of history as I believe it was one of the first games to release such a controller that you probably would have only seen in the arcades. I know Gundam fans asked why Bandai didn’t use something like that for their console games. I never played the game myself but I heard nothing but good reviews. I would venture to see if I can play the game myself soon. Did not know it span into two more sequels. Great pictures of the article as well.

Another article was Amazon JP now sales Japenese games to USA customers. I would think this is good news for most gamers who import games right? Some users mentioned Play-Asia is pissing their pants. I used to always think there prices were a bit steep. I used to always get my import games from NCSX (National Console Support). We used to have Starland games and Pandoras Cube. Pandoras Cube moved to another location but I think they do not sell import games anymore. Starland moved to an online store but opened a local store at another location. I remember Gamecave back in my early days. Now there prices were very high but they had everything. I forgot the other store in Ohio that sold import games. It would be nice to buy that new SRW game with the English translation coming out soon!

Long Live!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Wed 9 Mar 22:44]

chazumaru
1648th Post

"Thumper" , posted Thu 10 Mar 07:42post reply

No offense to Gunsport but new trailer for the best game I played at E3 last year.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Maese
804th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Thumper" , posted Thu 10 Mar 10:15post reply

quote:
No offense to Gunsport but new trailer for the best game I played at E3 last year.

Hmmm, that Thumper looks like Groove Coaster on steroids. I like it!

A Talking about Japanese History sword in hand

Spoon
3277th Post

"Re(2):Alpha no Go" , posted Thu 10 Mar 17:30:post reply

AlphaGo has defeated current world champion Lee Sedol twice, as of now. This is a five-game series. To think that we'd have software that could be literally world champion caliber at Go so soon is pretty amazing!... and a little scary.

I wonder if Go, which has such a long history, will feel any amount of existential crisis at being so soundly challenged, even defeated, by AlphaGo. Chess seems to have soldiered on happily in spite of how incredibly strong CPU programs for it now are.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 10 Mar 17:32]

Professor
4797th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Alpha no Go" , posted Thu 10 Mar 19:21post reply

quote:
AlphaGo has defeated current world champion Lee Sedol twice, as of now. This is a five-game series. To think that we'd have software that could be literally world champion caliber at Go so soon is pretty amazing!... and a little scary.

This is phenomenal! Go is so analogue that I wouldn't have thought a CPU would beat a human, at least during the current decade. Thanks for sharing.

Spoon
3278th Post

"Re(4):Alpha no Go" , posted Fri 11 Mar 06:53post reply

quote:

This is phenomenal! Go is so analogue that I wouldn't have thought a CPU would beat a human, at least during the current decade. Thanks for sharing.

I don't have nearly enough Go knowledge to understand or appreciate all of what's happening, but at one point during the match, AlphaGo plays a move so surprising that the commentators are flabbergasted, and Lee Sedol leaves the room.

Ishmael
5413th Post

"Re(1):Re:VG Musuem and JP VGs on Amazon JP fo" , posted Fri 11 Mar 12:09post reply

quote:
Another article was Amazon JP now sales Japenese games to USA customers. I would think this is good news for most gamers who import games right? Some users mentioned Play-Asia is pissing their pants. I used to always think there prices were a bit steep. I used to always get my import games from NCSX (National Console Support). We used to have Starland games and Pandoras Cube. Pandoras Cube moved to another location but I think they do not sell import games anymore. Starland moved to an online store but opened a local store at another location. I remember Gamecave back in my early days. Now there prices were very high but they had everything. I forgot the other store in Ohio that sold import games. It would be nice to buy that new SRW game with the English translation coming out soon!

This is a nice idea but it feels a generation or two too late. Japan isn't the game mecca it used to be and a surprisingly large amount of niche material gets a domestic release nowadays. I'm honestly not certain I'll ever have a reason to take advantage of this offer. Wait... could I pick up the new Kamen Rider Musou game this way?

Professor
4798th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Re:VG Musuem and JP VGs on Amazon JP fo" , posted Fri 11 Mar 13:07post reply

quote:
Another article was Amazon JP now sales Japenese games to USA customers. I would think this is good news for most gamers who import games right? Some users mentioned Play-Asia is pissing their pants. I used to always think there prices were a bit steep. I used to always get my import games from NCSX (National Console Support). We used to have Starland games

Whoa almost missed this, it's great news! I'll toppage it, thx.

Spoon
3280th Post

"URGENT NEWS FOR MAOU" , posted Fri 11 Mar 18:05post reply

While bumbling around on ArcSys site, I came across this:

genre: HARD BOILED ADVENTURE, feat. totally-not-Kyle-Hyde

Professor
4800th Post

MMCafe Owner

"[RE:HOTEL DUSK] URGENT NEWS FOR MAOU" , posted Fri 11 Mar 19:10:post reply

quote:
While bumbling around on ArcSys site, I came across this:

genre: HARD BOILED ADVENTURE, feat. totally-not-Kyle-Hyde

AGH Beaten to the news! I've just wrote up on it, more details on top page.

It's an asian Kyle Hyde! Time to get a 3DS?

I didn't realize until today that Kanasaki actually has his own Pixiv and Facebook account.
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=2122381
https://www.facebook.com/taisuke.kanasaki

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 11 Mar 19:37]

Maou
3093th Post

"[RE:HOTEL DUSK] URGENT NEWS FOR KYLE HYDE" , posted Sat 12 Mar 15:37:post reply

Kyle Hyde sez: Well I'll be god-damned.
Maou sez: HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
quote:

It's an asian Kyle Hyde! Time to get a 3DS?

Agh, I don't want a 3DS, but but but

What a delight. I love how this spiritual successor employs the same not-so-subtle nod in the title to the original as Igarashi and Inafune's recent projects have: note how the "Distant Memories" subtitle parallels the "Angel's Memories" subtitle on Wish Room.

Now it is time for everyone to go to the one known Wish Room fansite on the internet to celebrate by playing the soundtrack on loop~~~~

If we're REALLY lucky, Arc will help them develop an interface that's actually worthy of the story, in the mold of classic point-and-click adventure games with seemless movement and examination options.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 12 Mar 16:00]

chazumaru
1650th Post

"Re(2):Re:VG Musuem and JP VGs on Amazon JP fo" , posted Sat 12 Mar 16:50post reply

quote:

<Amazon.jp> is a nice idea but it feels a generation or two too late.

Isn't that really cool for PSN cards, though? I am not sure if those Digital PSN "cards" are part of the items that now work internationally, but if so, that would allow people with Japanese accounts, or want to play online using the Japanese PS+ for some reason, to get much cheaper codes (without bothering with delivery) than what the current alternatives offer. Unlike the Nintendo eShop, it's quite difficult to use a Japanese card on the PSN. Same goes for the Apple Store, by the way.

Même Narumi est épatée !

nobinobita
1570th Post

"Re(3):Re:VG Musuem and JP VGs on Amazon JP fo" , posted Sat 12 Mar 17:55post reply

quote:

<Amazon.jp> is a nice idea but it feels a generation or two too late.

Isn't that really cool for PSN cards, though? I am not sure if those Digital PSN "cards" are part of the items that now work internationally, but if so, that would allow people with Japanese accounts, or want to play online using the Japanese PS+ for some reason, to get much cheaper codes (without bothering with delivery) than what the current alternatives offer. Unlike the Nintendo eShop, it's quite difficult to use a Japanese card on the PSN. Same goes for the Apple Store, by the way.

Oh man, hopefully this means I can finally get Chaos Breaker/Dark Awake!

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
3283th Post

"Re(1):[RE:HOTEL DUSK] URGENT NEWS FOR KYLE HY" , posted Sun 13 Mar 11:42post reply

When I saw that the genre literally said, "hard boiled adventure", it made me wonder if you could actually walk into a game store in Japan and find an "Adventure" section and in there find an area labelled "Hard Boiled".

Maou
3093th Post

"KYLE HYDE! KYLE HYYYYYDE" , posted Sun 13 Mar 14:09post reply

quote:
When I saw that the genre literally said, "hard boiled adventure", it made me wonder if you could actually walk into a game store in Japan and find an "Adventure" section and in there find an area labelled "Hard Boiled".

In real life, sadly, no. Hell yeah, as of right now! All the true visionaries of the adventure RPG genre have invented new names for their genre. Take Shenmue, one of the greatest things to ever happen to the adventure genre.* (*note: Counterintuitively, I also think GTA is one of the worst things to ever happen to the adventure genre...why might this be? Please submit your answers here by Friday.)

Cue announcer voice for imaginary TV commercial: "You think Shenmue is just another adventure RPG? Hell no, you damned idiot! Shenmue has INVENTED a new genre, 'FREE!' You don't know what a FREE game is, you unwashed non-Dreamcast-loving Sony swine? FREE is Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment! FREE is the future and you will LOVE it!!!"** (**note: "FREE" was really what they called it, though maybe not in English, I don't know.)

...okay, so FREE didn't catch on and Hard-boiled Adventure might not, either, but Shenmue and Chase can call themselves "corn on the cob" and they will still deserve to have the most desirable location on the entire store shelf, of which they are the only member of their new genre listing.

badoor
461th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Gold Customer

"Re(1):KYLE HYDE! KYLE HYYYYYDE" , posted Sun 13 Mar 19:27post reply

News of ex-Cing developers making a new adventure game (nay, a HARD BOILED Adventure Game) is great. And yeah the new guy totally looks like Kyle Hyde. Makes me wonder if they would have just made a new Hotel Dusk/Wish Room game starring Kyle Hyde if they have got the license back (which I believe is owned by Nintendo of all people. And as much as I would love it, I doubt Nintendo has any plans to make a new Hotel Dusk as a front-liner high profile NX launch title)

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/

Iggy
10172th Post

"Re(2):KYLE HYDE! KYLE HYYYYYDE" , posted Sun 13 Mar 20:19post reply

quote:
(which I believe is owned by Nintendo of all people. And as much as I would love it, I doubt Nintendo has any plans to make a new Hotel Dusk as a front-liner high profile NX launch title)

Actually, I'm surprised that's not the case.
Ultimately, Nintendo almost owns (or really owns?) the Culdcept brand now, so it could have been possible to have games that only make sense anymore on Nintendo handheld to join the fray. Or maybe ArcSys also sees a future to the game on smartphones?
Maybe the Hotel Dusk series is popular in the west and no one in Japan knows it, so Nintendo wouldn't know?

Freeter
4651th Post

"Re(3):KYLE HYDE! KYLE HYYYYYDE" , posted Mon 14 Mar 05:34post reply

I want not-CingArcSys to make a display of asian Kyle Hyde wearing a RedBlue Crown jacket and a speech bubble with the cheesiest sales pitch for the game they can think of.

And he should be holding a paper clip. Just because.

Spoon
3286th Post

"Re(4):KYLE HYDE! KYLE HYYYYYDE" , posted Mon 14 Mar 12:16post reply

A picture that will surely become legendary:

The screen on the monitor conveying AlphaGo's moves when it resigned to Lee Sedol, probably one of the last times AlphaGo will ever lose to a human player.

Even though AlphaGo has already won the majority of the matches in the series, observers who understand the game say that following Lee Sedol's brilliant move on turn 78, AlphaGo's play became petulant and impatient. It's really quite remarkable how a game that seems to be about lengthy progressions of moves that are mechanically identical can have such sharp inflection points where the line of play suddenly shifts dramatically to one side or the other. If Yasunari Kawabata were alive today, I wonder what his writing about this series of games would be.

chazumaru
1655th Post

"Re(5):KYLE HYDE! KYLE HYYYYYDE" , posted Tue 22 Mar 20:02post reply

Shinkiro took care of the Bio Hazard 20th Anniversary illustration.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Loona
1031th Post

"FFXI's 15 years interview" , posted Wed 23 Mar 22:14post reply

Famitsu has an interview with apparently the scenario writers for the game, primarily for the Windurst, Chains of Promathia and Rhapsodies of Vana'diel missions, from what I could tell from Google Translate:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201603/23101945.html

And if the translation didn't let me down, no wonder chapter 3 of Rhapsodies was so good - apparently they started working on that first to make sure they'd meet the 11/11 deadline.

There's also some mention near the end of a hidden reference to CoP in Rhapsodies's title - I'm not sure if it's the fact that the Japanese name is something like "Vana'diel no Hoshi Uta", "Vana'diel's Star Song", which could be a nod to recurring verses about amidst the darkness and roaring chaos a bright star shines as a song rises, and "that star is you and the song is yours" - that's doesn't sound specifically CoP'ish, but CoP does go the deepest into the game's mythology...

...!!

chazumaru
1656th Post

"Re(1):FFXI's 15 years interview" , posted Thu 24 Mar 03:46post reply

I swear I am not kidding or being naughty: I misread this as FF15's 11 years interview and did not bat an eye.

We're the 24th, Japan time, which means Dark Souls 3 is here (and DOAX3 as well). I heard people with Japanese accounts can get DS3's digital version already, but I know MS is rather strict on Xbox One regarding account switching.

Même Narumi est épatée !

HokutoAndy
106th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):FFXI's 15 years interview" , posted Thu 24 Mar 16:16post reply

FFXI is basically playable as a single player RPG with NPC party members now (your own personal sidekick as well as story characters), been thinking of resubscribing to go through all of the story content I wasn't able to kill enough crab and worms to get to all those years ago.

Loona
1032th Post

"Re(2):FFXI's 15 years interview" , posted Thu 24 Mar 20:51post reply

quote:
FFXI is basically playable as a single player RPG with NPC party members now (your own personal sidekick as well as story characters), been thinking of resubscribing to go through all of the story content I wasn't able to kill enough crab and worms to get to all those years ago.

Pretty much - only the final fights in the Seekers of Adoulin and Rhapsodies of Vana'diel mission lines really benefit from having a party, as those were released when level 99 and equipment that bumps functional level past that were well established.

Stuff worth looking into to make everything easier:

* For anything involving the acquisition of items through drops, FFXIDB.com is your best friend - it lists every item in the game, but that's not what's unique about it - its finer point is that if something drops off a mob, it'll list the applicable mobs and the probability of the drop (based on actual player experiences, I think from players that use Windower), and for each mob it mentions their map locations and quantities in each applicable area.

* Records of Eminence: in the Quests menu you can set multiple objectives which when completed get you exp as well as items in some cases; some of these objectives are 1-time affairs, like everything in the Tutorial and Achievements categories, which tend to cover some progression landmarks like useful quests and mission progress, but there are also many recurring ones you can basically keep set forever and be rewarded for completing every once in a while, like kill # mobs.

* Rhapsodies of Vana'diel missions - progress in these gets you key items that make everything else about the game easier, like higher exp gain, the ability to use more NPC party members and making several in-game activities cheaper or more frequent. It's best enjoyed if at certain points you have older mission lines completed, but when that becomes an issue you should be able to focus on the mission line in question and then continue with Rhapsodies.

* I cannot emphasize enough how useful the available wikis are, especially FFXIclopedia; I've found it useful to, whenever a mission or quest has me go to an area, checking that area's page to see what other missions or quests can be done there, and try to meet their prerequisites accordingly to make the most of each trip. Travelling is a lot faster nowadays thanks to multiple teleport options, but it can still be efficient to avoid repeating some trips if you can help it, as some zone are pretty big and/or maze-like.

* This might help, as it's the closest to a story speedrun path I've seen so far. It focuses a bit more on gear acquisition activities along the way than I'd bother with, but it covers a lot of ground at a reasonable order.

...!!

Professor
4827th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Amano artwork in 3D" , posted Wed 30 Mar 23:49:post reply

A reportedly leaked trailer of FFXV from Youkou.

Another footage that's making its way out a day too early

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 30 Mar 23:51]

Spoon
3301th Post

"ArcSys back catalog continues invading Steam" , posted Fri 1 Apr 05:10post reply

Now feat. GG Overture, that game nobody bought, not even GG fans.

Gojira
3195th Post

"Re(1):Amano artwork in 3D" , posted Fri 1 Apr 07:12post reply

quote:
A reportedly leaked trailer of FFXV from Youkou.

I honestly don't have that much interest in FFXV, but if we've reached a point where they can accurately express Amano's designs in 3D this is a wonderful age we're living in.

Baines
484th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Amano artwork in 3D" , posted Fri 1 Apr 09:48post reply

quote:
I honestly don't have that much interest in FFXV, but if we've reached a point where they can accurately express Amano's designs in 3D this is a wonderful age we're living in.

I remember the CG added to the PS1 version of Final Fantasy 6 was fairly decent at expressing Amano's designs.

Mind, even with the FFXV trailer, you can either view it as "Amano in 3D" or "Look at all the areas that they need to improve before we get Amano in 3D". Like CG in general, it is probably a sliding scale or curve towards infinity, where the goalposts move every year so that we always remain years away.

Loona
1039th Post

"Re(3):Amano artwork in 3D" , posted Fri 1 Apr 18:14post reply

quote:

I remember the CG added to the PS1 version of Final Fantasy 6 was fairly decent at expressing Amano's designs.

A more recent example would be the in-game depiction of FFXI deity Altana in her Amano-ish pale glory, although for some reason she's less clothed there than she is in the actual Amano illustrations of her.
Yesterday was FFXI's last day on consoles - I hope the game does well enough on PC to stick around, and that SE takes advantage of the game no longer being bound to console limitations to make it simpler to enjoy for the curious, like makin it accessible with a XIV account, or go pay-to-play-once like apparently Guild Wars does, since the main stories can be played through in less than a month nowadays with some focus.

...!!

GekigangerV
1931th Post

"Capcom Mobile, wasn't April Fools joke" , posted Tue 5 Apr 02:50post reply

Plan on releasing a Mega Man, Monster Hunter, Sengoku Basara, and unannounced title by this time next year

I wonder if they plan on expanding their presence on the android market place. I have an iPad, but would like to keep most of my things on my android phone.

They are of course sitting on top of the Ace Attorney games, but there is a ton of stuff they never even tried to release on Android.

neo0r0chiaku
155th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Ono Wants Nintendo vs Capcom" , posted Tue 5 Apr 20:39post reply

quote:
Plan on releasing a Mega Man, Monster Hunter, Sengoku Basara, and unannounced title by this time next year

I wonder if they plan on expanding their presence on the android market place. I have an iPad, but would like to keep most of my things on my android phone.

They are of course sitting on top of the Ace Attorney games, but there is a ton of stuff they never even tried to release on Android.

Ono Would like to see Nintendo vs Capcom

Long Live!

Toxico
6009th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(2):Ono Wants Nintendo vs Capcom" , posted Wed 6 Apr 22:05post reply

So, breath of fire 6 is going to have guest appearances?. Not like anything like that can save the game, of course.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

Iggy
10193th Post

"Re(3):Ono Wants Nintendo vs Capcom" , posted Thu 7 Apr 00:09post reply

quote:
So, breath of fire 6 is going to have guest appearances?. Not like anything like that can save the game, of course.

This is getting from bad to worse.

HokutoAndy
108th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Ono Wants Nintendo vs Capcom" , posted Thu 7 Apr 15:28post reply

Nintendo vs Capcom... I'd hope they have a robust co-op mode where you brawl your way across Metro City, Dreamland, feudal China, D&D lands, and the Mushroom kingdom as Haggar, Kirby, Zhao Yun, Samus, and so on

Loona
1044th Post

"Re(3):Ono Wants Nintendo vs Capcom" , posted Fri 8 Apr 01:57post reply

quote:
Nintendo vs Capcom... I'd hope they have a robust co-op mode where you brawl your way across Metro City, Dreamland, feudal China, D&D lands, and the Mushroom kingdom as Haggar, Kirby, Zhao Yun, Samus, and so on

Dudley in Punch-Out or Little Mac in SF could be neat.

FFXI could advertise its initiatives better - apparently they released another voiced video (again, with English subtitles) with Famitsu, this time covering the final Rhapsodies story and some of the others leading up to it, but I only found out about it today indirectly, as the official site and Twitter mentioned nothing about it. Stranger still, the previous 3 voiced videos are now private and can't be accessed...
Pretty strange, but at least now Iroha has a voice they could resort to for a Dissidia version. Prishe has a different VA from her Dissidia Duodecim self though... odd when prior videos had Wakamoto doing roles, so it's unlikely to be a budget issue...

...!!

Loona
1045th Post

"Re(4):Ono Wants Nintendo vs Capcom" , posted Fri 8 Apr 08:58post reply

The Neptunia/Sega Hard Girls crossover is getting localized, so the world can do right by Segata Sanshiro's legacy and give Saturn a hand.

Oddly there's no Sega-Hard-Girls-only game by Sega, so this is a tempting alternative after how great the show was, but I wonder if it'll ever get released on anything other than the Vita - my onlny hardware acquisition plans for the future consist of a PS4 when Kof XIV is out... then again, a lot of Neptunia games made it to Steam eventually...

...!!

Neo0r0chiaku
166th Post

STM: dc202styles
CFN: n/a

Regular Customer

"Re: Starfox the anime" , posted Thu 21 Apr 09:59post reply

Starfox Zero the battle begins
In the build up for Starfox Zero. I could not help and laugh historically once I heard "do a barrel roll!"

Long Live I AM!

GekigangerV
1932th Post

STM: n/a

"Re(1):Re: Starfox the game" , posted Tue 26 Apr 00:36post reply

quote:
Starfox Zero the battle begins
In the build up for Starfox Zero. I could not help and laugh historically once I heard "do a barrel roll!"

I really liked that. It is a shame that the game itself didn't try to tackle that kind of visual style.

I got a chance to play through the story once over the weekend and just thought I would post my thoughts.

I guess the big thing going around about the game are the controls.

It would appear that they saw the positive response to the gyro controls of Splatoon and tried to follow up on that. I don't find it unplayable or tortuous as some outlets and personalities have claimed, but it is not nearly as intuitive as Splatoon. The learning curve is quite noticeable on this game and I cannot imagine a little kid being comfortable with it.

There are really no options to change either. Barrel rolls are done by double flicking the right stick left or right, but I would have liked to have mapped it to one of the free buttons just to make it easier. I would have also liked to have changed the sensitivity of the gyro controls too. It felt a bit too loose when I started.

I think the big thing is that the player should switch the screens where the cockpit view is the TV to get accurate shooting and the 3rd Person view is on the gamepad to just quick peak of your surroundings. The reticle being inaccurate on the third person view is a real killer too.

The other vehicles are okay and have the same hurdles as the Arwing. The Chicken-Walker mode of the Arwing is probably the weirdest since it appears you need to lock on (Z-L) to strafe, but I don't really see any reason to have that kind of restriction.

The story mode is short, pretty much the classic Star Fox 64 stuff. In fact, I am unsure if this is a reboot or a remake of Star Fox or Star Fox 64 or what.

Here is the story from what I can gather from just the short opening title crawl thing at the beginning

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
They mention James McCloud, Pepper and Pigma all being part of a team and Pigma betrayed them and James was "KIA." Andross has been at war with Corneria for 5 years and Fox reforms the team. There appears to be no mention of previous encounters with Fox with Andross. I haven't played a console Star Fox game since Star Fox Adventures and the last Star Fox game I played was the DS one(Command?). So I am unsure what the deal is with the Star Fox story at this point. Katt is in it as well, but there appears to be no indication she has met Fox in the past. Star Wolf is in it, but no real attempt is made to give them character or uniqueness. If this was your first Star Fox game you wouldn't think much of them.

End of Spoiler

The levels are fairly standard fare straight Arwing and All Range Mode stuff stuff are a bit too close to callbacks to Star Fox 64. You can save your progress and take a break after every level so I played it in short sittings over the weekend, but I imagine the first time through would not have taken me more that 2 hours. Boss fights are kind of cool with a couple of twists on classic encounters but nothing as memorable as that train fight in Star Fox 64 with the Landmaster.

There are challenge mode missions for the extra vehicles, but you need to obtain a ton of medals in game to unlock them. I am unsure if I will ever get around to that.

Speaking of extra vehicles.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
There is a whole vehicle that is challenge mode exclusive. The Roadmaster. It is an RC/ATV-like car that does not appear at all in the main game from what I saw (I didn't see all the levels on my first go as is the standard Star Fox formula). I guess the level was cut, but they had the vehicle programmed out.

End of Spoiler

Other than challenge mode, there is an arcade mode unlocked after beating the story mode once. I haven't touched it yet, but will try this weekend.

My main attraction to this game was the Platinum association and I have to say I am disappointed that none of the classic Platinum hallmarks are present. I love how they do unlockables and power ups in their more popular games that lets you go back through a stage and either decimate enemies stylishly or find new paths. As far as I can see, nothing like that is present in Star Fox Zero. No shops, no power ups, no unlockables. The alternate vehicles get a new ability each by progressing through the game, but aren't major.

Overall I would say rent this if you got the chance, but don't pay more that $20 or $30 for this if you want to buy it. I had the best buy game rewards thing and a $5 coupon so I paid $45 for this and Star Fox Guard.

Speaking of Guard, I only played through two levels, but found it too mundane to really stick with. Maybe it gets a bit more fast pace as the levels go on, but it started really slow.

chazumaru
1672th Post

"NI-OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" , posted Tue 26 Apr 10:57post reply

I heard and saw more people praise Guard than Zero over the weekend, but maybe it depends on the expectations they had coming into each game.

The time has come, the time has come, the time has come today.
The time has come, the time has come, the time has come today...
The time has come, the time has come, the time has come today?
The time has come, the time has come, the time has come today!

And so all the good players wanna rescue
All the small player wanna talk to you
All the clever players wanna tell you
All the little players wanna play it's true:

Koeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, block out the sun over me, over meeeeeeeeee
and spoiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil, spoil all the FUN! Won't you pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase?

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
3335th Post

"Re(1):NI-OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" , posted Tue 26 Apr 11:02post reply

Ni-oh playable demo is available worldwide on the 26th. I'd be curious to hear what the impressions are of it versus Dark Souls 3.

HokutoAndy
109th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):NI-OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" , posted Tue 26 Apr 19:48post reply

quote:
Ni-oh playable demo is available worldwide on the 26th. I'd be curious to hear what the impressions are of it versus Dark Souls 3.

On the DS3 subreddit right now there's a big thread on "You know what would be AWESOME, a feudal Japan setting for Dark Souls!!" so the reception will either be positive and/or hyper critical.

I wish the protagonist looked less like The Witcher tho'...

Ishmael
5452th Post

CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):NI-OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" , posted Wed 27 Apr 01:55post reply

It's Ni-Oh, the game that everyone bought a PS3 for! I don't know if the game will live up to expectations but does anyone expect anything out of Ni-Oh?

Ishmael
5455th Post

"Re(4):NI-OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" , posted Thu 28 Apr 00:27post reply

There's a lot to love in the Ni-Oh demo but, yowzers, there is a lot to hate as well. It will be interesting to see how the feedback from this demo is handled.

Mosquiton
2149th Post

"Re(5):NI-OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" , posted Thu 28 Apr 08:12:post reply

quote:
There's a lot to love in the Ni-Oh demo but, yowzers, there is a lot to hate as well. It will be interesting to see how the feedback from this demo is handled.

Care to share your thoughts Ishmael? I'm enjoying it so far, and I guess I'll share my thoughts on one of the defining gameplay mechanics.

I do think the "ki pulse" mechanic is interesting, but it's not very intuitive. For anyone who hadn't played/dug into it yet, you have a stamina bar in this game, and if it runs out you are properly screwed. Guarding, rolling, and swinging a few times is enough to deplete the heck out of your bar and leave you panting for a brief window during which you are super vulnerable. What the heck are you supposed to do about that?

You are supposed to hit R1 with good timing, which will refill a portion of your stamina and keep you from gassing out. See, your stamina bar actually has Marvel vs Capcom-style "red life"... stamina that is depleted but still recoverable. You can watch the bar for timing purposes, or you can see a blue particle effect that converges on your character when the time is right to suck those ki particles back up.

If you time it right, you can get back a large percentage of the stamina you just spent. This also puts you into a neutral state where you can immediately switch stance, attack, dodge, or guard. Which is really conducive to not getting your ass rocked by the super-high-damage hits even basic enemies can dish out.

The good thing is, enemies can run out of stamina too... and nobody told them about the "ki pulse" (at least not in the demo levels). So if you see their stamina go red, you can walk up to them and hit triangle to nail them with a grab-and-stab that essentially functions as a riposte/visceral attack in the Souls games.

It's a lot to think about when you're just starting out with your low-health, low-stamina, crap equipment and no-skills self. Attacking, guarding, and dodging... minding your stamina, and then focusing your ki. It's kind of like having to constantly work the clutch when you're driving a car with a manual transmission. And at the beginning of the game you are driving a car with a weak engine faced with climbing up hill after hill.

It can be enjoyable, though, and I think it's pretty well-designed. There are nuances as well; certain attacks (usually a special attack that functions as a "combo ender") have the ability to focus ki the moment you use them, provided you choose the right moment. And the low sword, agility-oriented stance can focus ki automatically when you dodge. There are three separate stances, by the way. The game does not shy away from complication in any regard. Although there are some areas where it probably should....

The one thing that really bothers me is the equipment system and item durability. There is no reason why you should ever be walking around with 14 nearly identical swords... only some have "+3.4% yokai item drop rate" and some have some other imperceptible bonus. I hope they toss this system out and start over/simplify, it's way too much menu sorting and I usually pick up less loot in Diablo 3. As far as durability goes, it's easy enough to keep an eye on the rapidly depreciating condition of your weapons, but your fragile armor breaks without warning (maybe there is a tiny text notification, but there's no persistent visual indicator that lets you know you're about to go broke) in the middle of a battle... maybe even with every piece breaking at once, leaving you wide open for a OHKO by the boss.

The "learning skills" system is also kind of overwhelming... with a bucket of skills for each weapon type (including skills for each stance), and ninja arts, and onmyoji skills. Like other games I would criticize for failing to prep the player for success, you kind of have to gauge which might be most useful, and maybe purposefully neglect skills that sound cool but may be less crucial to your survival. Or, ideally, hit up a FAQ beforehand. They do at least show you videos of what the moves do, which is definitely useful, and you have your basic guard/dodge/rolls right off the bat. The item-use system, with three "quick use" slots accessed by the d-pad, is also not quite sufficient for the billion possible items/scrolls you may want to use in combat.

Too many options is kind of a theme here. There are also a bucket of stats which you level up individually, one point per level, and things like weapon requirements and guardian spirits that play off those stats (e.g., raise your faith to 8 to get a +100 life bonus with the water spirit equipped). The spirits also let you trigger a "super ass-beating mode" when you fill up their gauge by ganking enough souls. Like I said, complicated systems everywhere.

Another general gameplay issue is that fighting groups is really hard. The lock-on feature is only suitable for one-on-one fights, and it's tough to create distance. You can guard last-second to knock guys back a bit, but the window is very tight (provided you didn't instead purchase the parry skill that pushes the enemy behind you for a damage dealing opportunity - not so useful in a group). Deflecting a blow also doesn't put them off for long, and good luck doing it without using lock-on. You're obviously meant to go one-on-one, but they are very fond of springing multi-goon ambushes. It just needs a bit of adjustment to make you feel more in-control when fighting multiple enemies.

The obvious initial impressions from everyone else in the world are accurate... this looks very much like Samurai Dark Souls starring Geralt from The Witcher. I've already blabbed on a lot, but I'd be interesting in hearing what other people thought as well.

Anyway. Very fair to say the game is hard and a little bit unfriendly. Unlike Nero's ignition "Exceed" system in Devil May Cry 4, the "ki pulse" isn't something you do to be stylish and cool, it's something you do to avoid looking like an out-of-breath chump/and or catching some lowly bandit's blade between your ribs. I feel like they will probably include an automatic mode for the ki-focusing (or some sort of charm permanently locked into place on a lower difficulty level), because it does require more button pressing and mindfulness than most combat systems. Obviously they are collecting feedback from the demo. I hope they put it to good use. The game looks promising.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Thu 28 Apr 18:04]

Ishmael
5456th Post

"Re(6):NI-OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" , posted Fri 29 Apr 01:14post reply

Thanks for the write-up! That's far more explanation of the game mechanics than the game provided.

I agree with your critiques of the good and bad points of Ni-Oh but I think I'm a bit more negative on the game than you are. The stance system and all the other little intricacies related to combat are all great fun. Having every fight be a life or death battle made even the fights against lowly bandits feel tense and exciting. There's a lot to experiment with in there. Or there would be if the game wasn't so ridiculously punishing.

The durability system as it currently stands is a deal breaker for me. Why do weapons degrade so quickly? Hell, why do they degrade at all? Why do I need items to fix my gear instead of being able to spend souls or money at a shrine or having it regenerate after I die? A quick example of this problem: I was trying to practice by repeatedly going after the initial bandit but all I was doing was wearing out my sword. To make it worse, I only had spears in my inventory, no whetstones or glue and had invested all my skills in sword techniques. Since repair equipment and new weapons are mostly tied to enemy drops there's no room for error or experimentation. After that training misadventure I ended up resetting the game. The way the Ni-Oh is currently set up I can easily imagine plenty of other scenarios that result in similar no-win situations. Honestly, if they scrapped the entire durability system I don't think it would hurt the game at all.

If there is a decent method of crowd control I have yet to discover it. I found throwing rocks was a somewhat useful method of luring out opponents to thin out the herd but rocks are tied to drops. This meant after messing up a few times in trying to clear out a group of baddies I was out of rocks and my gear and weapons were battered to pieces. Bah.

At the end of my playtime with Ni-Oh I felt more like I was fighting against the unfair issues in the game rather than making any progress. Hard games are one thing but more often than not I felt like I was moving backwards.

I feel like there is a great game somewhere in Ni-Oh. A Ninja Gaiden-ish game starring Arthur from Soul Calibur is a great idea. Unfortunately there is too much bloat and conflicting ideas in the current build. It feels as if the developers tried to shove in elements from Dark Souls without thinking about how they worked in DS or how they would work in Ni-Oh. Instead of a challenging, open but mostly fair system Ni-Oh feels bogged down with ideas that are fussy and that add nothing to the experience other than frustration. Ni-Oh needs to figure out what it is and how its individual elements interact. I'm hoping they figure this all out since Ni-Oh is a few steps away from being a great game.

Mosquiton
2149th Post

"Re(7):NI-OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" , posted Fri 29 Apr 05:22post reply

quote:

The durability system as it currently stands is a deal breaker for me. Why do weapons degrade so quickly? Hell, why do they degrade at all? Why do I need items to fix my gear instead of being able to spend souls or money at a shrine or having it regenerate after I die?

I have to imagine that the equipment system is nowhere near final, but I wonder if they were trying to make weapons break frequently in the demo so you would switch to one of the other million items you picked up.

As is, it's a hassle in so many ways. The situation you described wouldn't happen in Dark Souls because your weapons are restored when you rest at a bonfire... and you are brought back to a bonfire whenever you die. That would be the simple fix, but I hope they give the entire thing some more thought.

Honestly, accumulating a mountain of barely-differentiated loot is part of the punishment for dying at this point. You're cursed to slay the same enemies repeatedly, and they are cursed to drop their shitty weapons and armor ad infinitum.

I have to say though, the visual effect when enemies explode into a loot fountain is quite nice. Maybe they can find a balance, somehow.

quote:

If there is a decent method of crowd control I have yet to discover it. I found throwing rocks was a somewhat useful method of luring out opponents to thin out the herd but rocks are tied to drops. This meant after messing up a few times in trying to clear out a group of baddies I was out of rocks and my gear and weapons were battered to pieces. Bah.

The most reliable form that I've found is equipping a spear, using middle stance, and using weak attacks. You get a fairly wide horizontal sweep. It works a bit better if you aren't locked on, and if you wait until you can hit the two enemies that are chasing you with one attack.

Fighting multiple opponents is really rough. It's funny that the game tells you "a clever samurai chooses battles wisely and doesn't fight more than one opponent at once," then frequently sets up ambushes where you're getting jumped by two or three enemies at once. It's like the game is setting you up and laughing in your face. "Hahah, I told you not to fight more than one enemy at once, DUMBASS!"

For me, playing something interesting and kind of flawed is almost always preferable to playing something that's decent. I've always liked peering into games that are still in development, too. I've kind of been starved for beat versions/demos lately (well, other than Street Fighter V, hahah).

This is labeled an Alpha, after all, which should mean that features could be not just tweaked, but added or removed. I hope they gather a bunch of useful feedback. If you didn't already, be sure to fill out the survey. There's a bit of room to write in your own answers, so air your grievances about the equipment system. With any luck they end up with a lot of people telling them similar things and change a few things for the better.

/ / /

Neo0r0chiaku
174th Post

Regular Customer

"Re:Raiden V coming west in May" , posted Sat 30 Apr 00:14post reply

Raiden V coming west in May

After digging through NCSX Pre-order page, I come to find out that Raiden V is released. Now its coming to the west. Sweet!

Long Live I AM!

Ishmael
5457th Post

"Re(8):NI-OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" , posted Sat 30 Apr 01:02post reply

quote:
I have to imagine that the equipment system is nowhere near final, but I wonder if they were trying to make weapons break frequently in the demo so you would switch to one of the other million items you picked up.

That's a good point but I hope the creators of the Ni-Oh alpha aren't trying to create a real life version of that daft idea to nerf your character as you progressed through a demo. Players should want to experiment with different weapons because the combat is fun, not because of artificial restrictions. Have some faith in your game guys.

While the current inventory system is giving me flashbacks to Mass Effect 1's wretched loot mechanics and oddball menus the alpha still has me thinking about Ni-Oh. If there was nothing worthwhile in there I would have simply deleted the demo without a second thought. I filled out the survey and am curious to see how the game progresses. Hopefully this game that refuses to die will finally make good in the end.

Spoon
3341th Post

"Hyper Light Drifter" , posted Mon 2 May 06:14post reply

I like how the game uses very little normal text to tell you anything. There are some things it just has a hard time explaining without it, but otherwise it's very cool how it tries to even explain upgrades without the use of words.

The world is full of cute creatures and tons of murder. Like, when you encounter NPCs and they recount events to you (entirely with pictures!), some of the sights are absolutely brutal. I like that it isn't just a dead world of undead enemies, but instead is a place that has died and is being reclaimed both by nature and by people, built around not only the remains of what is left but the fallout of what made it that way.

100% sure that somebody out there will ironically write about how this game is about reclaiming the greatness of a place lost to foreign invaders which are universally murderous brutes, and someone else will do the exact same, but unironically.

The game is very much not like Zelda in its progression scheme and focus. If the central element to progression in Zelda is getting key items and solving puzzles, in HLD the progression scheme is that each really important door requires a certain amount of generic keys to be recovered. So the order doesn't really matter, and there's no particular application of the keys that the player needs to do: it's just explore until you find it, and once you have X of them, the door opens. Combat is the other gating mechanism: there are a lot of combat encounters, many of which are challenging! Bosses are very non-trivial affairs, and I can see people having trouble clearing them.

Also worth pointing out is that it's often the case that in Zelda, defeating of enemies is puzzle-oriented: you can't kill Dodongos except with bombs, you have to reflect this attack with the mirror shield, and so on. There's a very particular thing you have to do with a very particular item you've acquired, and you must do so 3 or 4 times to win. In HLD, there is no such thing. If you never got any of the equipment, you could probably beat the game no problem. HLD is very much about mastery of the core combat mechanics you get from the first minute of the game, as opposed to puzzle/gimmick encounters. It is much more of an action game than Zelda is, and its emphasis on dodging and enemies that have attacks that really do take advantage of your slight recovery and limited attack window feels like something that is more Dark Souls inspired than Zelda inspired.

The music in the game is generally quite subtle and subdued, which I didn't expect from the early trailers.

Overall it's a very good game, but I'm actually not certain if I could recommend it to all of my friends that I could recommend other light action adventures to because of the challenge of the combat. Some of my friends definitely would not be able to clear them, which is unfortunate because everything else about the game would click with them.

Is it better than Stephen's Sausage Roll? That's another question.

HokutoAndy
112th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Hyper Light Drifter" , posted Tue 3 May 15:53post reply

quote:
, in HLD the progression scheme is that each really important door requires a certain amount of generic keys to be recovered. So the order doesn't really matter, and there's no particular application of the keys that the player needs to do

That's interesting, wonder how much content in the game can be 'skipped' in a speedrun then. Super Mario 3D World does that with stars, largely for optional stages. Wonder who did that first though...

How's the combat in it. From what I can tell it's attack and dodge with some ranged attacks. There also blocking and stuff?

Spoon
3343th Post

"Re(2):Hyper Light Drifter" , posted Wed 4 May 02:20post reply

quote:
, in HLD the progression scheme is that each really important door requires a certain amount of generic keys to be recovered. So the order doesn't really matter, and there's no particular application of the keys that the player needs to do

That's interesting, wonder how much content in the game can be 'skipped' in a speedrun then. Super Mario 3D World does that with stars, largely for optional stages. Wonder who did that first though...

How's the combat in it. From what I can tell it's attack and dodge with some ranged attacks. There also blocking and stuff?

The game has two kinds of generic keys, one which seems more optional and is aggregated over all the zones, and one which is specific to each of the four major zones. So there are some bottleneck requirements with regards to order (e.g. you're going to HAVE to get 3 of the zone-specific keys in this zone to open this door that demands 3, and you're going to HAVE to open this door in order to get the zone-specific key needed to open the door that demands 4 of them) in a given major zone.

There is "blocking" in that you can guy an ability to slice enemy shots or use your dash to nullify them. There is no general blocking ability.

The combat is much improved by using a controller (as the game recommends) instead of mouse and keyboard for reasons I will detail later.

Spoon
3344th Post

"Re(3):Hyper Light Drifter" , posted Wed 4 May 13:59post reply

quote:
speedrun skipping

There are a bunch of spots which are arena fights in that you have to clear out all the enemies before you can proceed. There is also a requirement for aggregate zone-key collection. Your character can move very fast if you get the chained dash upgrade, and you can pick up a number of upgrade points through the forced arena fights and the bosses. Still, if you bee-line your way through the areas and fluently kill everything you must, you could certainly clear the game quite quickly. At the highest level of speedrunning, I could see this game being beaten in under two hours.

Ok, as to why the mouse control, while often nice for aiming the ranged attacks precisely, is problematic for character control:
The character dashes/attacks in the direction formed by the vector from your character's position on the screen to the mouse cursor's position. Seems pretty normal, right? Well, it means that if you make the character dash, and he dashes through your mouse cursor, the next click will make him dash/attack BEHIND him. So in order to move or attack fluidly and consecutively, you need to keep the mouse cursor ahead of your character! But wait, there's more! If an enemy bumps your character or blocks your character, now your character's position on the screen has changed! What's more, depending on how the screen scrolls, you might find your mouse cursor in the wrong relative position. In most areas of the game, all this is not much of a problem. In a few of the boss fights, this can make a LARGE difference.

The combat of the game is very refined, and the amount of care put into constructing a large number of the spots where secrets are is commendable. You seldom just walk into an otherwise-totally-black area and click on a chest. No, in many of them, you will walk into an area that has its own set decoration, sometimes unique sprite/bg-work, and it fitting very nicely into the zone you're in. However, it's also the case that a lot of the secrets take advantage of the fact that the perspective of the game makes it confusing as to what you can and cannot walk behind, what is a wall and what is a canopy, and that visual trick is used to conceal the passageways. There is a glyph that you will come to recognize that points the way to secrets, but the visual confusion might make navigation of areas feel weird.

Overall it still gets one of the "you can beat the game in a weekend" recommendations.

Ishmael
5462th Post

"Re(4):Hyper Light Clicker" , posted Thu 5 May 04:00post reply

If the movement in the game is based around the character chasing your cursor how does controller based movement work? Is it a variation on that idea or is it more traditional controller based movement?

Spoon
3345th Post

"Re(5):Hyper Light Clicker" , posted Thu 5 May 04:52post reply

quote:
If the movement in the game is based around the character chasing your cursor how does controller based movement work? Is it a variation on that idea or is it more traditional controller based movement?

Normal character walking movement is handled with WASD or the left stick.

That cursor chasing is only true if you have a mouse and for the dashing. If you use a controller, you use the second stick to point a direction, and that direction is invariant of your character's position; there is no cursor if you use a gamepad.

chazumaru
1675th Post

"FF1510" , posted Mon 9 May 12:26post reply

I really enjoyed the Nioh Alpha demo. The problems I have with the game go beyond 30.000 characters-long according to niohalpha.txt on my desktop, but this game is actually shaping up to be much more interesting than I expected, and the PVP has some potential.

While it is undoubtedly a minor, inconsequential release compared to Nioh, that other belated game FF15 was also celebrating its initial announcement's tenth anniversary last Sunday.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
3347th Post

"Re(1):FF1510" , posted Mon 9 May 16:07post reply

quote:
I really enjoyed the Nioh Alpha demo. The problems I have with the game go beyond 30.000 characters-long according to niohalpha.txt on my desktop, but this game is actually shaping up to be much more interesting than I expected, and the PVP has some potential.

While it is undoubtedly a minor, inconsequential release compared to Nioh, that other belated game FF15 was also celebrating its initial announcement's tenth anniversary last Sunday.

Between the announcement of FF15 and today, a person could see a child start middle school, finish middle school, start high school, finish high school, start undergraduate, change major partway through, take a gap year, and then finish undergraduate.

And FF15 STILL wouldn't have been released yet.

I have to wonder, has any person worked full-time on Ni-Oh from its very beginning all the way until now? That person surely would be one of the most fascinating interviews. That person probably also probably deserves something for the existential crisis they will have to endure upon the game's release.

Spoon
3350th Post

"Toys to life and things" , posted Wed 11 May 08:56post reply

And with it, Disney is exiting self-published console games entirely.

Disney had previously cut a number of holdings related to video games, such as Propaganda Studios, and much more dramatically, LucasArts. Avalanche (not the one that makes Just Cause!) is going to shutter in light of this change, but it looks like EA is going to continue to handle some licensed game development for them.

Do you see this impacting toys-to-life as a genre, or not? It certainly shakes investor confidence in the metagenre, and I wonder how that will affect Nintendo for which Amiibo has been a significant boost.

Still, the cost of development of anything but cheapo cash-in mobile games is not small, and given the billion-dollar-revenue Disney is seeing with its tentpole cinema projects, I can see Disney not being interested in taking on the risk of running a business that is still high cost but not nearly as profitable.

chazumaru
1680th Post

"Re(1):Toys to life and things" , posted Wed 11 May 12:41post reply

They are doing so well with licensed games (via EA, Namco, Hangame etc.) that I don't see the justification to produce their own titles. For instance, Battlefront reached 14 Million copies and EA is planning one AAA Star Wars game per year. Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming. Etc.

Chase, that game looking a hell lot like Hotel Dusk, is now available in Japan on eShop.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
3351th Post

"Re(2):Toys to life and things" , posted Wed 11 May 13:54post reply

quote:
They are doing so well with licensed games (via EA, Namco, Hangame etc.) that I don't see the justification to produce their own titles. For instance, Battlefront reached 14 Million copies and EA is planning one AAA Star Wars game per year. Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming. Etc.

I have to agree. Not needing to shoulder the full burden all the regular costs of development while still getting to reap successes like SW Battlefront is pretty much the ideal as a license holder. They still fork out money for legal/marketing (and I'm sure the marketing dollars for SW Battlefront were not small), but those are dollars that they'd need to spend for their own games anyway.

The history of its interactive division was certainly checkered (to put it generously), given that Disney Interactive in its most recent incarnation was only assembled in 2009, and had been a large and consistent money loser. I don't think it ever posted a profit until... 2014? with Disney Infinity, and as the fortunes on Disney Infinity flagged, I think the decision was probably quite clear.

Still, I wonder how the exit of Infinity is going to affect the successes/perceptions of other toys to life things in the market. Infinity 4.0 was slated to come out later this year, the new Skylanders is still marked for later this year, Lego Dimensions is still going... Nintendo reported satisfaction with the sales of Amiibo, but I have a tendency to think that Amiibo sales are mostly driven by people wanting Nintendo figures, i.e. the "toy" part being foremost and the "-to-life" part being a nice afterthought. "Evergreen" amiibos I think speaks to that, because in stark contrast people DON'T want to buy early Disney Infinity / Skylanders toys. Will having one less competitor for the money of parents improve the fortunes of the remaining ones? Or will those customers just choose not to take on any of the existing ones, seeing as how none of them have the draw of Disney's myriad characters/IPs?

I don't really know.

Mosquiton
2156th Post

"Re(3):Toys to life and things" , posted Wed 11 May 14:15post reply

quote:

I have to agree. Not needing to shoulder the full burden all the regular costs of development while still getting to reap successes like SW Battlefront is pretty much the ideal as a license holder. They still fork out money for legal/marketing (and I'm sure the marketing dollars for SW Battlefront were not small), but those are dollars that they'd need to spend for their own games anyway.

Of course it's hard to be surprised by news of this nature, but do I understand how a lot of people are bummed out about it (particularly the 300 people who by all accounts did great work and got laid off). From what I understand, Disney Infinity was ahead of both Lego Dimensions and Skylanders and had just made a ton of cash with the inclusion of Star Wars.

But of course, customers consumers and employees are just a sadly necessary means to an end. I'm sure the shareholders will be much happier with a slightly larger wedge of cake.

/ / /

Spoon
3352th Post

"Re(4):Toys to life and things" , posted Wed 11 May 14:29post reply

quote:
I understand how a lot of people are bummed out about it (particularly the 300 people who by all accounts did great work and got laid off).

For extra gloom, Disney Infinity is in fact not made just by Avalanche (though they are the central studio of it), but also a whole bunch of contracted studios in addition to Avalanche. It's probably the case that many of those contractors will lose their jobs and future work on Infinity that they may have been tabbed for as a result of this, so the total number of jobs affected is surely larger than just the Avalanche layoffs.

chazumaru
1681th Post

"Re(4):Toys to life and things" , posted Wed 11 May 14:41post reply

I haven't given enough thought to share my own opinion on TTL but this seems to be a reasonable summary. I guess the big question now is whether Dimensions can get access to Lego Star Wars and whether that changes the prospect of the project for Warner.

What is sad is that Avalanche Software was apparently a competent studio and having its staff scattered (on the hopeful assumption that everyone finds a job elsewhere) seems like a waste. It would have been nice if the team could have been leveraged into a different project, but such is the limitation of having only one internal project at the company. Best case scenario, they could have fused with Avalanche Studio (the Just Cause guys) to make everyone's life less confusing.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Maou
3130th Post

CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):Toys to life and things" , posted Wed 11 May 14:44post reply

quote:
Chase, that game looking a hell lot like Hotel Dusk, is now available in Japan on eShop.

Gah, thanks for reminding me! I'd also forgotten it's so cheap! I bought a PS3 exclusively for Dragon's Crown...will I buy a 3DS exclusively for an 800 yen downloadable game?! Stay tuned.

Ishmael
5472th Post

"Re(3):Toys to life and things" , posted Wed 11 May 23:29post reply

While it's too bad for the people who were affected by this decision I can't say I'm surprised someone finally bowed out of the toy to life genre. The costs and general headache of maintaining something that big must be draining for both consumers and, to a lesser extent, the publishers. Disney dropping out first is probably because not only because they weren't happy with the results but they could afford to cash out and weren't banking on Infinity to be their only money maker.

I wonder if Mad Catz will start releasing electronic Daigo toys in an attempt to ride the coattails of another prohibitively expensive game genre?

Freeter
4659th Post

"Re(4):Toys to life and things" , posted Wed 11 May 23:35post reply

quote:

I wonder if Mad Catz will start releasing electronic Daigo toys in an attempt to ride the coattails of another prohibitively expensive game genre?

They'll take the easier route and release a Daigo app. It'll be like Miitomo except you put Daigo in every picture.

GekigangerV
1936th Post

"Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice coming in Sep" , posted Thu 12 May 00:56post reply

Trailer

Digital only, just like Dual Destinies. I am not surprised, but still a bit disappointed in digital only.

I will just wait for the iTunes release since those are usually half the price of the eShop price.

It is horrible to hear about Avalanche studios and the exit of Disney from the game space.

Although I never got into Disney Infinity, I was kind of happy seeing that there was SOME Marvel presence on the console. Now it looks like we are going to be stuck with lackluster or horribly exploitative mobile games going forward outside of Marvel Heroes on PC or if that PS4 Spider-Man rumor ends up being true.

As far as TTL goes, I have to say I am one of the people who buy amiibo as a pure collectors thing. I was actually catching the wave of "gotta catch them all" but thanks to Nintendo's horrible distribution and store exclusive deals I cut back to just getting the N64 Smash Bros roster and some of my favorite characters. It is pretty fun to have a Little Mac figure on my desk at home next to a R.O.B. figure. If I could have found Pit, Rosalina and Shulk figures easily I think I would try to get the complete set, but those are figures that don't appear to be part of Nintendo's redistribution plan.

The special save card feature in Smash never got me interested. I wish we could have something a bit more fun than that, like N64 character models or costumes.

The Splatoon amiibo are probably the most "useful" figures as you get some fun mini-games while waiting for games to fill up and the costumes and the extra weapon challenges in single player mode. Even then, I felt like those things should have been included in the base game to increase the replay value of the short, but good single player.

The Callie and Marie amiibo coming out sure look nice, but from what I see just load up songs. I would have liked themed costumes for the both of them as well as some new mini-games.

The Star Fox functionality is also very "blah" and I am kind of surprised the R.O.B. amiibo isn't compatible (I know it isn't the same R.O.B., but a mere reference)

The Super Mario Maker 8-bit sprite were fun. But I kind of wish we can get a Super Mario 3D World Maker where it is more like the "Skylander" style of "Toys to Life." The way I see it you need to give every character a way to long jump and there would be no real problem completing levels. Or at the very least, scanning an amiibo allows you to insert enemies from different games into a Super Mario 3D World-like level.

chazumaru
1685th Post

"Re(1):Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice coming " , posted Thu 12 May 02:19post reply

quote:

I will just wait for the iTunes release since those are usually half the price of the eShop price.

And if you are the patient kind, would GS5 be any indication, by the time GS6 comes out on iPhone, it will already have known plenty of sales campaigns on eShop as well. For instance, July 2015's Daigyakuten Saiban is still a 3DS exclusive in Japan, so they are taking their time.

I'll get it on 3DS but on the other hand, this news did convince me to wait for the EU release in September rather than sweating on the Japanese version.

Since both the 3DS and smartphone/tablet releases are running on MTFLite, I assume it wouldn't be too hard to port those on PC, but I guess they just don't see the appeal for Japan and wouldn't do anything specifically for the outside market. I thought GS would be a surefire hit for Steam but looking at Aviary Attorney just now, it sold less than I expected.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Maese
806th Post

"Re(2):Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice coming" , posted Thu 12 May 15:58post reply

quote:

Since both the 3DS and smartphone/tablet releases are running on MTFLite, I assume it wouldn't be too hard to port those on PC, but I guess they just don't see the appeal for Japan and wouldn't do anything specifically for the outside market. I thought GS would be a surefire hit for Steam but looking at Aviary Attorney just now, it sold less than I expected.

Maybe it's just that I'm used to it, but somehow I can't imagine playing Gyakuten Saiban in a non portable device. That being said, Steam ports of Japanese games tend to be a box of surprises sales-wise, so who knows?

chazumaru
1687th Post

"Minecrafting to a Million" , posted Thu 12 May 16:45post reply

Minecraft is a Microsoft game which happens to be published by Sony on PlayStation consoles. As such, the Vita version breaking a million sales in Japan is both Microsoft's first million seller in Japan, as well as Sony's first million seller since Gran Turismo 4 on PS2 (released in december 2004). For Japanese sales, this is quite incredible but I guess for Minecraft, it's Thursday.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
3353th Post

"WILD GUNS RELOADED!!!!" , posted Fri 13 May 02:50post reply

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat

A Cabal shooter gets a sequel, like 20 years later? Wow.

Then again, everybody loves dodgeroll.

Ishmael
5476th Post

"Re(1):WILD GUNS RELOADED!!!!" , posted Fri 13 May 03:36post reply

quote:
whaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Huh? I don't think anyone saw that one coming.

Neo0r0chiaku
184th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):WILD GUNS RELOADED!!!!" , posted Fri 13 May 03:39post reply

quote:
whaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Cool, while Natsume is at it, do Pocky & Rocky as well :)

Long Live I AM!

Gojira
3209th Post

"Re(2):WILD GUNS RELOADED!!!!" , posted Fri 13 May 04:28post reply

I fully endorse a new Wild Guns. Have there even been any notable Cabal shooters since Wild Guns came out? I've always considered it the pinnacle of the genre but I literally can't think of anything that was made afterward aside from maybe the Star Fox series (if you stretch the definition a little... I mean it does have a dodge-roll).

Spoon
3354th Post

"Re(2):WILD GUNS RELOADED!!!!" , posted Fri 13 May 05:06post reply

quote:
whaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I sure didn't! And this is coming from somebody that likes Wild Guns!

Mosquiton
2158th Post

"Re(3):WILD GUNS RELOADED!!!!" , posted Fri 13 May 06:53post reply

quote:
whaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I sure didn't! And this is coming from somebody that likes Wild Guns!

Crazy. I actually think I played more Blood Bros in the arcade, but Wild Guns I guess was the last living relative of Cabal? More of a cousin than a child I guess, different developers)

/ / /

Spoon
3355th Post

"Re(4):WILD GUNS RELOADED!!!!" , posted Fri 13 May 07:02post reply

Funny that a NeoGaf thread exists titled similarly to my reaction to it, started by another person who is sometimes on mmcafe!

cafe goers with the subconscious mind link

chazumaru
1690th Post

"Re(5):WILD GUNS RELOADED!!!!" , posted Fri 13 May 10:29:post reply

I wonder if it's another project linked to Dotemu, like Pang Adventures. It's a similar case in many ways. The game does not appear on their website or Twitter feed, though.

quote:
I fully endorse a new Wild Guns. Have there even been any notable Cabal shooters since Wild Guns came out?

The last game I remember with that kind of gameplay is Zombie Panic in Wonderland from spanish developer Akaoni, released on WiiWare, 3DS and smartphones.

[edit] Although I guess Kid Icarus Uprising is an evolution of that genre, but it borrows as much from Space Harrier, Panzer Dragoon and other games.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Fri 13 May 10:36]

Spoon
3356th Post

"Re(6):WILD GUNS RELOADED!!!!" , posted Fri 13 May 10:36post reply

quote:

The last game I remember with that kind of gameplay is Zombie Panic in Wonderland from spanish developer Akaoni, released on WiiWare, 3DS and smartphones.

A number of stages of Sin and Punishment The Star Successor were essentially this, with the different in other levels being that you had 8-way movement.

Professor
4870th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):WILD GUNS RELOADED!!!!" , posted Fri 13 May 13:38post reply

quote:
whaaaaaaaaaaaaat

HOLY MOSES!
That's like, the biggest gaming news in the last 10 years for me, personally. I still have the original cart and box somewhere in my house, it's a wonderful game.

Gotta gotta top page that, thanks for the heads up!

HokutoAndy
116th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):WILD GUNS RELOADED!!!!" , posted Fri 13 May 16:33post reply

quote:
I fully endorse a new Wild Guns. Have there even been any notable Cabal shooters since Wild Guns came out? I've always considered it the pinnacle of the genre but I literally can't think of anything that was made afterward aside from maybe the Star Fox series (if you stretch the definition a little... I mean it does have a dodge-roll).

A year after Wild Guns came out in arcades, Great Battle V had dodge-rolling screen shooting action, though most of the time it was a sidescroller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4IUT8OnZpI

Spoon
3358th Post

"Re(6):WILD GUNS RELOADED!!!!" , posted Fri 13 May 16:42post reply

quote:
Space Harrier

Space Harrier and Cabal at their heart were struggling with one problem:

How do we control the movement of a character and detailed aiming of shooting of any given spot on the screen at the same time, especially with only one directional controller?

Space Harrier's answer was to make the character shoot exactly in the tile that the character was in, and because you had flying movement in Space Harrier, this wound up being ok. Cabal was a game about guys running on the ground, so Cabal needed a different answer (one that was a bit more complicated, too!)

This problem was completely obviated in later generations with the advent of multiple directional controls on a single controller. Whether its dpad + analog, twin analog sticks, mouse-and-keyboard, or pad and touchpad, this simply wasn't a big deal any more. Kid Icarus on the 3DS is on the whole a lot more like Sin and Punishment than anything else, which never ceases to amuse me.

Arguably the most recent Cabal shooter is Elphelt in Xrd.

Neo0r0chiaku
185th Post

Regular Customer

"Re:PS4.5 & Nintendo NX at TGS 2016" , posted Sat 14 May 04:09post reply

Nintendo NX & PlayStation 4.5/Neo due for TGS reveal

OK, let's bring that price down for the current PS4.

Long Live I AM!

Freeter
4662th Post

"Re(1):Re:PS4.5 & Nintendo NX at TGS 2016" , posted Sat 14 May 07:27post reply

quote:
OK, let's bring that price down for the current PS4.

Let's bring that size down also, since we all know a Slim version is inevitable.

chazumaru
1693th Post

"This is SEGA Test" , posted Sun 15 May 17:37:post reply

This is SEGA Test, a training documentary and more importantly an amazing time capsule of the Nineties.
I'll boycott Project X Zone 3 if it doesn't include ERIK WAHLBERG AS KARATE GUY IN PARKING LOT.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sun 15 May 17:39]

chazumaru
1693th Post

"Re(1):This is SEGA Test" , posted Sun 15 May 23:19post reply

quote:

quote:
Gah, thanks for reminding me! I'd also forgotten it's so cheap! I bought a PS3 exclusively for Dragon's Crown...will I buy a 3DS exclusively for an 800 yen downloadable game?! Stay tuned.

There is now a Chase interview in 4gamer.

Uncharted 4 was exactly what you expect Uncharted 4 to be. I enjoyed the stealth direction of the action scenes (since I don't enjoy the usual action scenes in Uncharted). The script was strong but the human relationships were treated with less subtlety than in the Amy Hennig era. I was much more impressed by the animations than the graphics (I think I reached the point were all nice looking games look the same to me, even on a 4K screen). The bad guys "power couple" was excellent and quite easily the best antagonists of the series. I found them more interesting than the Sam storyline. Nobody deserves a raise more than the person who thought about the option to keep action buttons pressed rather than tapping them in those tedious QTEs.

Même Narumi est épatée !

chazumaru
1694th Post

"The conference difference" , posted Wed 18 May 16:38post reply

Prof's very favorite publisher will have a live conference with new game announcements on the Monday of E3 (13 June).

Même Narumi est épatée !

Maou
3135th Post

"Re(1):The Chaz difference" , posted Wed 18 May 16:51post reply

quote:
Prof's very favorite publisher will have a live conference with new game announcements on the Monday of E3 (13 June).

Is Ishmael the world ready for an announcement of the newest edition of Real 3D Bass Fishing Bass On?!?! Signs point to "heck yeah!"

Ishmael
5478th Post

"Re(2):The Chaz difference" , posted Wed 18 May 23:52post reply

quote:
Is Ishmael the world ready for an announcement of the newest edition of Real 3D Bass Fishing Bass On?!?! Signs point to "heck yeah!"

A fishing game with PSVR support is a sure way to sell this new, unproven technology to the masses. Or make it some sort of dating sim/fishing game to hit as many demographics as possible. (I'll leave it to the discretion of the programmers to decide if the dating section involves anime girls or bass.)

Spoon
3361th Post

"Re(3):The Chaz difference" , posted Thu 19 May 02:16post reply

quote:

A fishing game with PSVR support is a sure way to sell this new, unproven technology to the masses. Or make it some sort of dating sim/fishing game to hit as many demographics as possible. (I'll leave it to the discretion of the programmers to decide if the dating section involves anime girls or bass.)

What if you date bass and fish girls

Maou
3137th Post

"Re(3):The Chaz difference" , posted Thu 19 May 02:20:post reply

quote:
Or make it some sort of dating sim/fishing game to hit as many demographics as possible. (I'll leave it to the discretion of the programmers to decide if the dating section involves anime girls or bass.)
The "fisher girl" trope is oddly under-used, come to think of it! Or so I thought, until I remembered Shima city's ama (female diver) mascot who was nearly canceled for being quote "too sexy" before people got over that foolish notion and let her stick around as the unofficial mascot.

As for whether we should be dating girls vs. fish, I think that our One True System gave us the proper answer some time ago with Seaman.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 19 May 02:23]

Lord SNK
139th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):The Chaz difference" , posted Thu 19 May 03:08post reply

Can we date female penguins?

Mosquiton
2160th Post

"Re(3):The Bass difference" , posted Thu 19 May 06:04post reply

quote:

I am pretty picky with my fishing games but if Sega made a VR bass or marine fishing experience I would be sorely tempted. Even without a dating element!

Although it would be nice to hear a charming, feminine voice gently speak into my ear "Oh NO!!!!!!!!!!! Line BREAK!!!!!!!"

/ / /

Maese
807th Post

"Re(4):The Chaz difference" , posted Thu 19 May 10:32post reply

quote:
Or make it some sort of dating sim/fishing game to hit as many demographics as possible. (I'll leave it to the discretion of the programmers to decide if the dating section involves anime girls or bass.) The "fisher girl" trope is oddly under-used, come to think of it! Or so I thought, until I remembered Shima city's ama (female diver) mascot who was nearly canceled for being quote "too sexy" before people got over that foolish notion and let her stick around as the unofficial mascot.

As for whether we should be dating girls vs. fish, I think that our One True System gave us the proper answer some time ago with Seaman.

Funny thing that ama ladies on 21st Century thought this mascot character was too obscene, when ama divers have performed their trade bare chested and pretty much stark naked since the beginning of time. (Caution: links may or may not be SFW.) Ah, the times they are a changin' I guess.

Neo0r0chiaku
187th Post

Regular Customer

"Re: Resident Evil 7 announced." , posted Thu 19 May 11:02post reply

Resident Evil 7 Goes Back to Horror Roots, Will Be Announced at E3

Horror? I rather use the word creepy. I didn't even play 5 and 6. Those did not look like it had that creepy factor into it. Hopefully 7 will have that and the so called horror.

Long Live I AM!

chazumaru
1695th Post

"Re(1):Re: Resident Evil 7" , posted Thu 19 May 12:10post reply

Man you scared me! You should rather avoid using the term "announced" when it's only a journalist/analyst reporting a rumor at this stage. I was scrambling for the PR/trailer of the announcement.

Même Narumi est épatée !

HokutoAndy
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re: The real monster is Chris Redfield" , posted Thu 19 May 12:26post reply

quote:

At this point in the timeline superhuman Chris Redfield has murdered thousands of zombies and bio-weapons on foot and has crushed every ultimate Tyrant monster he's come across without a scratch.

He's like Godzilla, sure that movie started off as a suspenseful tale of horror and man's hubris, but by part 7 I'm expecting Redfield vs SpaceField, Wesker has gotten hold of Redfield DNA that has traveled through space and come back as a blue SpaceField with giant crystal shoulders. After a thrilling catch wrestling match for the ages, Chris "King of Monsters" Redfield roars victoriously and walks into the ocean as the credits roll.

nobinobita
1597th Post

"Re(1):Re: The real monster is Chris Redfield" , posted Thu 19 May 16:10post reply

quote:

At this point in the timeline superhuman Chris Redfield has murdered thousands of zombies and bio-weapons on foot and has crushed every ultimate Tyrant monster he's come across without a scratch.

He's like Godzilla, sure that movie started off as a suspenseful tale of horror and man's hubris, but by part 7 I'm expecting Redfield vs SpaceField, Wesker has gotten hold of Redfield DNA that has traveled through space and come back as a blue SpaceField with giant crystal shoulders. After a thrilling catch wrestling match for the ages, Chris "King of Monsters" Redfield roars victoriously and walks into the ocean as the credits roll.

This is definitely the direction I'd like to see Resident Evil go in.

www.art-eater.com

Ishmael
5479th Post

"Re(1):Re: The real monster is Chris Redfield" , posted Thu 19 May 23:28post reply

If RE7 goes back to its roots -whatever that means- I wonder if they use it as an excuse to reboot the storyline. After the giant set pieces of RE6 can they really go back to a smaller, creepier story using the same plot that has been chugging along since 1996? While I'm certain some would longtime fans would be frustrated by this I wonder if the main appeal of RE for most is zombies and the giant neck and ears of Chris Redfield.

quote:

This is the real direction RE should go.

Ishmael
5480th Post

"Re(2):Re: The real Ni-Oh is Chris Redfield" , posted Thu 19 May 23:59post reply

Changes to Ni-Oh from alpha feedback. That's quite the list.

chazumaru
1700th Post

"Re(3):Re: The real Ni-Oh is Chris Redfield" , posted Fri 20 May 00:18post reply

I dig that they put something as trivial as "you know what, there might be completely new control schemes" and "well, there might not be any durability mechanic at all" in the leftover notes at the very bottom. I'd be sad if they completely gave up to stubborn Dark Souls players who don't want to learn a new game, rather than trying to explain their ideas better.

Même Narumi est épatée !

karasu
1606th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(2):Re: The real monster is Chris Redfield" , posted Fri 20 May 00:30post reply

quote:
If RE7 goes back to its roots -whatever that means- I wonder if they use it as an excuse to reboot the storyline. After the giant set pieces of RE6 can they really go back to a smaller, creepier story using the same plot that has been chugging along since 1996? While I'm certain some would longtime fans would be frustrated by this I wonder if the main appeal of RE for most is zombies and the giant neck and ears of Chris Redfield.

I've wondered for quite a bit about whether or not there are many folks out there who, like me, prefer the old style RE with jump scares and an actual sense of danger and limitation, or if the entire fanbase is made up of Call of Duty bros who want to play a game where the burning question isn't do I have enough bullets in my small gun to kill this thing or should I run instead but rather can I aim fast enough to kill all 1000 of these chainsaw wielding zombie-ish things that are rushing me.

I think they will almost certainly lose some fans by returning to straight horror, but I would guess that some perceptive person at Capcom noticed the shitstorm over Konami's Silent Hills cancellation and saw it as an opportunity.

Speaking for myself, I was just fine with ignoring the main, numbered series and just playing the excellent Revelations branch, even though it came in at the Code Veronica entry point where quantity was starting to outstrip quality of the horror experience.

In short, I'll be happy if there are all kinds of 'crest' items to place over doorways and maybe even a zombie dog crashing through a window here or there.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

Mosquiton
2162th Post

"Re(3):Re: The real Ni-Oh is Chris Redfield" , posted Fri 20 May 04:07:post reply

quote:
Changes to Ni-Oh from alpha feedback. That's quite the list.

Wow, that is a lot. Looks like they are really serious about taking feedback.

Looks like the overall response was really good. The regional breakdown is also really interesting.

Still a lot of room for improvement, glad to see they're willing to make changes.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Fri 20 May 04:09]

Spoon
3363th Post

"Re(2):Re: The real monster is Chris Redfield" , posted Fri 20 May 14:37post reply

quote:
Redfield Evil

This reminds me of something I had to say about the first Bioshock game.

That game made use of the activated respawn points of System Shock, and like System Shock had mostly placed enemies that wouldn't come back after you killed them... except that not only would you revive with full health and a bit of mana restored, but the enemies' health didn't get restored!

So the game has this strong horror theme to it, like System Shock, except that the one implacable being of doom that could come at the enemies relentlessly and endlessly with nothing more than a wrench was the player! To me, it made me feel like I was absurdly cast in the role of some kind of Jason Voorhees like monster, and that that should've been incredibly fertile narrative ground that sadly went completely untouched in the game. Dark Souls and Bloodborne would make attempts at incorporating explanations for this mechanic into the lore with varying degrees of success.

Professor
4872th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):The conference difference" , posted Sat 21 May 09:51post reply

quote:

The company that makes Kantai Collection and rules over all of Japanese gaming publications!

Spoon
3369th Post

"Ys VIII trailer" , posted Fri 27 May 01:53post reply

seems very much in the vein of Ys 7, what with its party mechanics

I'm not sure how much I like the new camera view, though! It seems like sacrilege for Ys to not have a predominantly overhead view!

ungenesis
447th Post

Wii: ungenesis
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Ys VIII trailer" , posted Fri 27 May 03:45post reply

Looks great! I've finally got around to playing Celceta, and looks like an evolution of that system.

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

chazumaru
1703th Post

"Re(2):Ys VIII trailer" , posted Fri 27 May 12:51post reply

Hmm I must say I am completely unimpressed by this new game and the direction towards which the series has veered. I couldn't get into 7 and Celceta; that character switch doesn't do it for me. I much preferred Nayuta no Kiseki, among their recent action-oriented outputs. (I haven't tried Tokyo Xanadu yet.)

The good news is Xanadu Next will apparently arrive on Steam this summer. I have fond memories of that game, especially with the patch that fixed the difficulty and gamepad controls.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
3372th Post

"Re(3):Ys VIII trailer" , posted Fri 27 May 15:05post reply

quote:
Hmm I must say I am completely unimpressed by this new game and the direction towards which the series has veered. I couldn't get into 7 and Celceta; that character switch doesn't do it for me. I much preferred Nayuta no Kiseki, among their recent action-oriented outputs. (I haven't tried Tokyo Xanadu yet.)

The good news is Xanadu Next will apparently arrive on Steam this summer. I have fond memories of that game, especially with the patch that fixed the difficulty and gamepad controls.

I found 7 to be a reasonable light action RPG, and though it was certainly lacking in a real jump button and generally not quite as intense as prior Ys games, it had a fast enough pace that I finished it. I can definitely see how Nayuta would have a stronger appeal gameplay-wise to those looking for a more classic Ys experience.

If I think about the Ys gameplay experience, the one sticking point to me is that it has to have a very brisk pace, even when you're in a situation where you can't reasonably beat the boss without earning a few level ups. Whatever the presence of platforming or earning of equipment or the reflex/memorization requirements of the boss fights, it just has to have that fast pace. I think I'm more attached to that part of Ys gameplay-wise than anything else.

PSN: Mozex
Gold Customer

"Dragon's Crown has me raging" , posted Tue 5 Jul 02:14post reply

Hi everybody,

I picked up a copy of Dragons Crown a few weeks ago and finally got a chance to play yesterday. The game is gorgeous but it's almost impossible to tell what's happening once the action starts. Is there a way to prevent the AI characters from joining in?

Be kind to goblins.
nobinobita
1640th Post

"Re(1):Dragon's Crown has me raging" , posted Tue 5 Jul 02:54post reply

quote:
Hi everybody,

I picked up a copy of Dragons Crown a few weeks ago and finally got a chance to play yesterday. The game is gorgeous but it's almost impossible to tell what's happening once the action starts. Is there a way to prevent the AI characters from joining in?

Go the the Inn. You can turn the multi player slots off there.

I love this game, but it does get quite chaotic, especially when you have magic users in your party.

Speaking of Vanillaware is anyone else playing Odin Sphere Leifthrasir?

I am (predictably) LOVING IT. It's the most I've marathoned a game in a decade probably. Obviously I love the characters and the art and story and music. But what's really surprised me is how great it plays.

It is without a doubt in my mind the best playing Vanillaware game out there (better than Dragon's Crown IMO), and just one of the most simply fun to play games in general. The combat is ridiculously fun and totally revamped. The characters have totally new move sets as well as interesting branching skill trees. Enemies are now a lot more aggressive and numerous, to keep pace with how much stronger the characters got. The new bosses are super fun and mixing potions and crafting food is really fun, doesn't feel like a chore anymore.

Even if you hated the gameplay in Odin Sphere, Muramasa or Dragon's Crown, you should still give Leifthrasir a chance. It takes the best parts of each of their past titles while cutting out the weaknesses. You can really feel how much they've grown as developers in the last 10 years.

I really hope they give Muramasa this deluxe treatment sometime in the near future.

www.art-eater.com
Lord SNK

161th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Dragon's Crown has me raging" , posted Tue 5 Jul 03:25post reply

Nobinobita, are you playing the PS3 or PS4 version of Odin Sphere?

I wanted to get it, but I'm waiting to get a PS4 console, so I don't know if the PS3 version is good enough or I should not bother with that and get the PS4 version.
(Surely I will not by 2 times the same game)

"Re(2):Dragon's Crown has me raging" , posted Tue 5 Jul 03:28post reply

Odin Sphere LeifthfsrtTHRHSMFasnir is as amazing as it is impossible to pronounce. The original game was one of these flawed masterpieces where everything was amazing, except actually playing it. It must have been a daunting task to dig through the core of the game, remove everything, then replace it with brand new pieces while keeping the shell intact. There is finally a way to play through the fabulous story that involves 2D-DMC3 fun instead of self-inflicted boredom and a meditation on why am I still playing this.
quote:
I really hope they give Muramasa this deluxe treatment sometime in the near future.
When they announced the remake of Odin's Sphere, didn't they say it would be the first of a series of similar projects? Since Muramasa has 4 DLC only available on Vita that apparently fix a lot of what's wrong with the game, it seems to be the most likely candidate, hopefully after their next original game with a name that's as hard to remember as Leiffsagfñklgjnir.

Speaking of Random Games: LabZero is working on a Skullgirls adaptation to mobile, which apparently reworks the whole thing with RPG elements to make it playable on a touch platform. While it still looks like Skullgirls and I'm curious to see how they address the challenges of porting the game to a totally alien type of controls, there are two much more interesting points to the game: it will expand the story with prequels elements, AND the game will feature original animations, INCLUDING FOR NEW CHARACTERS LEADING TO SKULLGIRLS 2 IN THE FUTURE. Apparently, Annie is more or less confirmed (possibly using some of the work done on her appearance in Indivisible?). I suppose Marie would require less work than other brand new characters and she's kinda important in a prequel so she may be a lock? Hopefully Umbrella will be snubbed so the joke will continue.

nobinobita
1641th Post

"Re(3):Dragon's Crown has me raging" , posted Tue 5 Jul 12:49post reply

quote:
Nobinobita, are you playing the PS3 or PS4 version of Odin Sphere?

I wanted to get it, but I'm waiting to get a PS4 console, so I don't know if the PS3 version is good enough or I should not bother with that and get the PS4 version.
(Surely I will not by 2 times the same game)

I got the ps4 version in order to get the deluxe edition with the artbook (I don't actually own a PS4, I've been playing it on my brother's system :3). I previously played the demo (a lot) on ps3. There are no discerable differences between the two versions. The only advantage of the ps4 version is that the hardware makes it easy to save movies and screencaps. Otherwise they are 100% identical as far as I can tell.

quote:
2D-DMC3 fun

That is the perfect summation of Leifthrasir's gameplay!

Skullgirls mobile

I'll probably get this game out of principle and to have access to the nice 2d animations. I wonder how the game will actually play though. Virtual d-pads are so repugnant, but tapping and swiping aren't gonna do it either unless they come up with something really truly innovative. In any case I wish them the best of luck!

quote:
Muramasa HD remix

There are some clues in George Kamitani's past New Years greeting card that indicate this might be on its way.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdU1s7VCIAAIIpO.jpg

Orange Sauce, Old Style = Odin Sphere remake
4 Topping Matcha = Muramasa 4 New Characters DLC for Vita

Lowfat 13k = 13 Sentinels

Hopefully "Original Mocha" also means "Oboro Muramasa" but with even more original content! I would love that so much since visually and storywise (tied with Odin Sphere) this was my favourite game of theirs though gameplay wise I found it to be a bit too button mashy.

Also I wonder what Raspberry Peach Grape Fruits Mix 1.6g is. I mean, clearly it's an RPG. And maybe it actually refers to the Leifthrasir remix that came out this year '16. Or maybe they are about to announce a new RPG?

www.art-eater.com

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(1):Dragon's Crown has me raging" , posted Tue 5 Jul 14:37post reply

quote:

Within the cursors one can activate; there is one that is super amazing and nevers dissapears and never gets out-sprited by any other and is extremely easy to follow since it takes 0,01 secs to change eyes from that cursor to your character; and that "cursor" is the name of your character. Sometimes the name will morph into an arrow pointing at you, but it will never ever leave you alone, and it doesn't get overshadowed much since not too many things crowd the top of your head (contrary to the cursors that are on your legs, which get swarmed with enemies).
Once I learned that, & trained to keep my eyes on the name; I pretty much never from that point and on lost sigth of my little guy. It makes an amazing difference and greatly improved my experience.

quote:

Speaking of Vanillaware is anyone else playing Odin Sphere Leifthrasir?

I'm aaaaaaabbbooooooouuuuttttt to start here; I got really lucky since most stores in my country said that they wouldn't carry it, but I actually found one that got (couldn't cancel) at least the initial shipment. Anyway, but before starting that I need to renew my broken sound set up for the movie feel, additionally I got this sudden urge of attacking a yukata cladded girl, eating her brain and taking her appearance, identity and place in society in Akiba's Trip. I spent like 5 hours searching yesterday, but I couldn't find any..... and I would have given up but I know due to net images that there are some girls wearing what I want; and thus my devil ninja demon vampire yandere maid roams the streets once again; and at this rate I'll platinum the game before achieving my objectives.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

"Re(2):Dragon's Crown has me raging" , posted Tue 5 Jul 15:04post reply

quote:

Once I learned that, & trained to keep my eyes on the name; I pretty much never from that point and on lost sigth of my little guy. It makes an amazing difference and greatly improved my experience.
Toxi-chan speaks with authority: last I saw of him, he was on floor 10,000 of the optional infinite dungeon on Ultimate mode, a place where even my 50 or so hours of playtime gets me slaughtered instantly. I actually tend to keep the other player arrows and indicators turned off because they're ugly, but like Spirited Away reminds us, always remember your name.

As for Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, I am a god-damned criminal for not buying it yet despite posting non-stop in the thread dedicated to its glorious release, but I was waiting for someone like Nobi to tell me exactly what he did, that the PS3 version is not inferior to the PS4 version, since of course I don't need a PS4 when SFV looks better on PC anyway. I also felt like a bit of a jerk buying a PS3 version of the game despite owning the already gorgeous PS2 version, but the prospect of dropping the original's slowdown and not-as-good-as-Dragon's Crown game engine makes the remake a clear bet.

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Dragon's Crown has me raging" , posted Wed 13 Jul 05:12post reply

quote:

Toxi-chan speaks with authority: last I saw of him, he was on floor 10,000 of the optional infinite dungeon on Ultimate mode, a place where even my 50 or so hours of playtime gets me slaughtered instantly. I actually tend to keep the other player arrows and indicators turned off because they're ugly, but like Spirited Away reminds us, always remember your name.

Is there a typo here? Did you mean 500 hours? I don't think it's possible to reach floor 10000 in the tower in 50 hours. I have 670+ hours on Dragon's Crown, and am (officially) and I stopped at floor 1200 with Dwarf (granted, I also have Fighter at floor 800). A 100 floor run alone takes 5-8 hours.

Unless you're talking about joining Toxi on floor 10,000. In which case, yeah: You'd need another 500 hours (or have hacked equipment) to not die instantly. I main Dwarf, who can tank maybe 2 or 3 hits with Stone Skin before dying, and even he gets oneshot if not under Stone Skin or if I don't have more than 100% HP (my amulet has the 50% DMG reduction at HP > 100% trait).

As for Odin Sphere Leifcassidy, would someone adored the combat in Dragon's Crown (as I said, 670+ hours on the game) enjoy it? I seem to recall that the original Odin Sphere's combat wasn't as good as DC's, but now I'm hearing that it's an entirely new engine? Is there a Vita version, which is likely the only way I'd get to play this? Thanks.

--
Ultima - The Right arm of Scrub Voltron
http://uramble.com/sfp - The Street Fighter Perfect Project
KTallguy
1493th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT
Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Dragon's Crown has me raging" , posted Wed 13 Jul 05:26post reply

quote:

Is there a Vita version, which is likely the only way I'd get to play this? Thanks.

YES, there IS a Vita version. I just found out myself. I borrowed the PS2 version years back but hated the slowdown (which was apparently an audio bug). I really loved the art though. I'll have to get the Vita version eventually... I'm playing Stranger of Sword City in fits and starts... it's not a very welcoming game.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

"Re(4):Dragon's Crown has me raging" , posted Wed 13 Jul 05:32post reply

quote:
Did you mean 500 hours? I don't think it's possible to reach floor 10000 in the tower in 50 hours.
Right you are! My Sorceress happily bounces around Unlimited Mode with the Merrie Men of Madman's Cafe, with only occasional revivals from our kingpin/sugar daddy Toxico, but once I just jumped into his game in the mirage tower and was killed instantly. I credit online play with letting us tag along to worlds we'd otherwise never see!

Odin Sphere's gameplay has been revamped, surely taking into account the advances made with Dragon's Crown, so I wouldn't be surprised if the "earlier" game now retroactively plays more like its progency. Nobi can confirm, since I still haven't gotten to it.

nobinobita
1644th Post

"Re(5):Dragon's Crown has me raging" , posted Wed 13 Jul 16:46post reply

quote:
Did you mean 500 hours? I don't think it's possible to reach floor 10000 in the tower in 50 hours. Right you are! My Sorceress happily bounces around Unlimited Mode with the Merrie Men of Madman's Cafe, with only occasional revivals from our kingpin/sugar daddy Toxico, but once I just jumped into his game in the mirage tower and was killed instantly. I credit online play with letting us tag along to worlds we'd otherwise never see!

Odin Sphere's gameplay has been revamped, surely taking into account the advances made with Dragon's Crown, so I wouldn't be surprised if the "earlier" game now retroactively plays more like its progency. Nobi can confirm, since I still haven't gotten to it.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is a total revamp that plays much closer to being a high level Dragon's Crown character than the original game. I'm one of those weirdos that actually LIKED the plodding combat pace of the original, but Leifthrasir is totally on another level. Iggy put it best when he said it's like a 2d DMC3. Get it get it! You won't regret it!

www.art-eater.com

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Dragon's Crown has me raging" , posted Thu 14 Jul 00:46post reply

re: Odin's Sphere

Thanks to all the replies everyone! Now I definitely have to check this out. But has anyone played the Vita version? I hope there aren't any performance issues.

Maou re: Dragon's Crown

Yeah, that makes sense. I once hitched a ride with an online friend who had hacked the game to oblivion and I went to floor 49999 (the last floor that the Tower counts - it still continues after that, but it stops counting the floors) and LOLed at the ridiculousness of it all. Every room had at least one giant red aura enemy spamming projectiles, had perpetual Sylph's Wind and/or invincibility, etc. His elf would kill everything with one up arrow volley which wasted everything for 9,999,999 hits, but even he would get oneshot if he actually got hit by anything. I think this was before the hackers learned to equip things in all slots at once.

--

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: WiiU:Buttermonster

"Re(6):maou is my favorite witch" , posted Thu 14 Jul 06:20post reply

quote:

Thanks to all the replies everyone! Now I definitely have to check this out. But has anyone played the Vita version? I hope there aren't any performance issues.

Slowdowns when there's a lot of dudes on the screen. Not game breaking, but depends on your tolerance for it.

Other than that good version of the game. No issues playing with ps3 users. Works well with Vita tv.

Gold Customer

"Re(7):maou is my favorite witch" , posted Fri 15 Jul 01:34post reply

quote:

Slowdowns when there's a lot of dudes on the screen. Not game breaking, but depends on your tolerance for it.

Other than that good version of the game. No issues playing with ps3 users. Works well with Vita tv.

Yeah. I did a bit of further reading and pulled the trigger. Got the game and, while it's super early and I have no idea what to do with these systems (and I'm currently playing on easy; I'm not one of those prodigies who likes to start things off on the highest difficulties), the game seems great so far! Yay, a (new) reason to use my Vita again and not be a slave to FF Record Keeper!

--

"Re(7):maou is my favorite witch" , posted Fri 15 Jul 02:12post reply

dearest Juan:

should we embark on our next Dragon's Crown raid
A) today
B) every day
C) where is my PS3?
D) after I finish Odin Sphere

Speaking of Odin Sphere, because everything about Vanillaware is always top news, once more people play through, we can always migrate back to the Odin Sphere thread to share vital knowledge

"Re(8):maou is my favorite witch" , posted Fri 15 Jul 02:30post reply

quote:
dearest Juan:

should we embark on our next Dragon's Crown raid
A) today
B) every day
C) where is my PS3?
D) after I finish Odin Sphere

Speaking of Odin Sphere, because everything about Vanillaware is always top news, once more people play through, we can always migrate back to the Odin Sphere thread to share vital knowledge

Not nearly as classy as the Vanillaware takes on some classics, but the very existence of this art book amuses me.
Van Gogh and Vermeer pieces redrawn to contain varying degrees of moe girls