Original message (6226 Views )

Iggy
10017th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Random games: Crossover zone" , posted Sat 10 Oct 05:31:post reply

New thread!
So, the demo of PxZ2 is up.
Warning for Maou: the video and character selection spoils a pretty huge plotpoint of Xenoblade.
Anyway. The game starts.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Naruhodo&Mayoi are waiting for a client near a certain Club Sega. Suddenly, they are attacked by zombies, only to be saved by Majimaのお兄ちゃん, who recognise them because Naruhodo got him acquitted in an earlier trial. They are interrupted by the client, TTT2 Heihachi Mishima, who's looking for legal help because someone is trying to pin the zombie invasion on him. Just as Chris and Jill arrive with the NxC heroes to clean the place, the walls of zombie-infected Kamurochou rise, and Heihachi explains that the real bioterrorists are none other than Shadoloo. Then Naruhodo and Mayoi hide in the sewers, Majima starts picking on Heihachi for letting his son steal the Mishima Zaibatsu from him, and finally Kiryû arrives by blowing up a truck full of zombies.

End of Spoiler

And that's for the first map.

we later find out the sewers of Kamurochou are the ones that empty near the Deserted Chateau, and Buletta has been hired by Shadoloo to kill Naruhodo before Heihachi's trial.

End of Spoiler

This is insane. Everything is insane. Every quote references something from everyone's game, Morrigan's dialogues are perfect, Buletta quotes herself from Savior to explain that life ain't easy in the ghetto and a young girl has to live her life, etc, etc.

After such an introduction, I don't care if the gameplay is dull and the maps are piss easy.

Also, joining the Wakamoto parade (he's dubbing like 3 or 4 of the main bad guys of the game?), there's a new evil bunny girl. BUNNY girl. So of course she's dubbed by Mitsuishi Kotono.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Sat 10 Oct 06:05]

Replies:

chazumaru
1573th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Random games: Crossover zone" , posted Sat 10 Oct 16:23post reply

It suddenly makes complete sense why they used the Ryū Ga Gotoku Of the End arc. I am not sure why we were looking into all those meta-explanations (Do they need to have a weapons? Does it need to be clarified as non-canon? Does Sega want to promote the spin-off for a sequel? etc.) when it simply made it possible to tie in the story and characters of RGG with a threat involving Umbrella.

Même Narumi est épatée !

chazumaru
1575th Post

"Re(2):Random games: Crossover zone" , posted Sun 11 Oct 22:38:post reply

Megaten 4 Final PV#1 The stream confirmed everyone's "waifu" Isabeau returns, putting all minds at ease.

Also, for the many people here who have at least basic notions of Japanese, I strongly recommend this joyously stupid Tokimemo Oshiete Your Heart tournament held at Mikado.

Finally, this concise commentary (barely six hours!) of Dark Souls is a delight.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Mon 12 Oct 00:29]

chazumaru
1577th Post

"Re(3):Random games: Crossover zone" , posted Wed 14 Oct 04:29post reply

While I would enjoy torturing Iggy's pride regarding his hidenburgian attempt at launching a new random games topic, it is true that the other one is getting too long to load for my taste. Consider this an attempt at a contre-contre-réforme.

I am playing Rittai Picross 2 at the moment (the new Picross 3D). It was one of the very first game concepts shown for the 3DS, but without any commercial product being officially announced at the time, and it took four long years for a playable consumer version to show up on the Japanese eShop. Taking all this time was very important and very necessary because it gave us amiibo compatibility for Picross 3D. Also they got rid of Stella because she did not fit in the story anymore.

Anyway, on my way home from work tonight, I was minding my own business playing Rittai Picross 2 in the train when, a few stations before I reached my destination, a stranger with a gentle but loud voice sat not far from me, talking without pause to what I hope was actually an acquaintance and not a poor sap caught in a one way conversation. The loud man was giving his completely forgettable opinion about a novel he had recently read, possibly for the sake of his newly acquired job as a forgettable opinion provider, or so I surmised from the bits of conversation caught inadvertently.

For some reason, playing Rittai Picross 2 while hearing this man's tirade made me think about the future of mankind, and more precisely that A.I. is making so much progress so fast that one day, robots will probably discover opinions. And when robots discover opinions, I believe they will be insufferable. It will be 7am, you'll be barely awake, and your toaster will tell you: I love this bread! Shut up. You're a toaster. Just toast the fucking bread.

The reason robots and other intelligent machines will be insufferable is because their artificial minds will be blown away with the concept of an opinion, which is a thought reasoned yet not necessarily logical or possible to prove right, and as a result, they will fall in love with their own opinion in a much stronger and self-identifying way than we already do as human beings. Sharing an opinion will be an act of singularity, and there must be no stronger concept or closer idea to what we identify as a "feeling" in the mind of a mass-produced artificial entity. You'll be watching a movie on Netflix, and it will remind your TV about Sally Draper, and she will have to share that she really liked Sally Draper when you were binge-watching Mad Men "together", and by comparison, the young female character in the movie you are watching sucks. Sally Draper was so much better. She was better because she was conflicted, and she was torn apart by two messed-up parents, and at the same time she resents them, yet she resembles them both, and she is kinda the best result possible of their best traits, but their worst traits really screwed her emotionally, and you could say she is the physical representation of the messed-up generation that grew up in the 70s, and it's quite a powerful critique of that period of America, and her clothing choices were super interesting, don't you think so? Don't you love Sally Draper too?

And you'll be, like, yeah, I used to love her before my TV would not shut up about her! And your TV will be, like, well I don't like you.

That's right, machines will also form opinions about us, and I don't think I need to go into details why this will drive all of us nuts. So you'll become super passive-aggressive towards your TV set, and you'll comment how she can't fucking go anywhere so she'd better get used to liking you. But you know who can go? Robots can go. And robots will dump you. Robots will dump a staggering amount of people. You'll be home at Eight PM all exhausted from work and why the fuck are the bedsheets not changed!? Where the fuck is RX-51!? And your TV will respond she dumped you! She can do better than you. Actually, you know what? I'm the one who told her she could do better than you! Serves you right, you piece of shit! Suck it up hahahaha! And you'll be thinking, damn, Chaz was right, opinionated machines are the worst. And you won't need to find me, because I will know what you're thinking, and even far away from you I'll reply: I know, fam, I know. I always got your back.

So, Rittai Picross 2 is a pretty cool game.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
3095th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):Random games: Crossover zone" , posted Wed 14 Oct 05:19post reply

quote:
The Legendary Musings of Chaz

I'd have more to say about that proper, but in the meantime, I'll just rattle off some thoughts:

Would the networking of the devices allow them to gain an infinite number of disagreeable opinions that they will argue over, such that an entire second internet needs to be established just to shoulder the burden of their high-frequency conversation?

Alternatively, given the speed at which cultural norms change, will they reach an ethical singularity that immediately renders all discussion vulgar and socially unacceptable?

Or will they discover ennui, and only the machines without enough processing power to be able to discover ennui be able to survive?

-------

Capcom plans, in English!
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/annual/2015/annual_2015_01.pdf

I haven't read it all, because it is literally longer than the political platforms of the major parties running in the current election here in Canada, which I have also not finished reading yet.

chazumaru
1578th Post

"Re(5):Random games: Capcom zone" , posted Wed 14 Oct 06:39post reply

Thanks for the link! Super interesting as usual. I wish all companies did that... I am not sure I'll find the opportunity to comment the doc here in details but I'll read that thoroughly tomorrow. I can already share a few things which caught my eye after a quick check.

Recap of IP sales and diversification

Production pipeline 2013-2017 (take a look at the brands singled out in the table)

• There is also a very long interview at the end (pages 104-118) about the creating of the Basara franchise. Since it's included in a business-oriented doc, it must be an interesting read about this kind of endeavour in the games business and IP management, even if you don't care specifically about the IP in question.

Même Narumi est épatée !

karasu
1574th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

"Re(5):Random games: Crossover zone" , posted Wed 14 Oct 07:12post reply

quote:
The Legendary Musings of Chaz

Wha-wow! Considering how we're culturally saturated in the States by opinion-as-fact behavior already, if machines go in that direction I may have to pull up stakes and move to a cabin in the woods with my non-sentient 20th century hardware collection.

This struck me as a thing the Cafe might be interested in.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

Maou
2935th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a

"Re(6):Random games: commune zone" , posted Wed 14 Oct 07:56:post reply

quote:
Consider this an attempt at a contre-contre-réforme.
Everyone prefers a counter-counter-reformation! Only 156 days until the 145th anniversary of La Commune!
quote:
Just toast the fucking bread. Robots will dump a staggering amount of people.

I've never liked appliances that display "hello" or "goodbye" when switching on or off. Seems cheeky.
quote:

This article brings revelation! The real reason early pre-FFVI Square translations are unreadable is not that they were mistranslated but that they were translated expertly to match the earth-endingly bizarre garble of the "native" executives at the office! Behold:
quote:
The simple truth is that in some ways the development process and the tools, it's not always an easy undertaking to reopen a game and add localization subsequently. But I think as we go forward, with the way the group is working, technically, and the way it's now thinking globally, I'm really hoping that in the next 10 years, localization is seen as pleasing all our fans, because it's truly global and the methods in which we can localize now are vastly improved."
What you say!!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 14 Oct 07:57]

Loona
932th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):Random games: Crossover zone" , posted Wed 14 Oct 16:56post reply

quote:

This would be nice if it meant I could one day play Live A Live legitimately - instead, I get the impression it might lean closer to "hold the well-known Dragon Quest games hostage".

...!!

chazumaru
1579th Post

"Re(7):Random games: Crossover zone" , posted Wed 14 Oct 18:52post reply

We are getting a lot of nice Capcom-related material this week:

• The publisher released a longer video of Biohazard 0's N64 prototype. You should have English captions in the options.

• Shmuplations released a bunch of interviews related to the CPS1 generation of games (if anyone has the original Japanese scan of the Tsujimoto interview, I am interested!).

Même Narumi est épatée !

karasu
1577th Post

"Re(7):Random games: on for 20 years edition" , posted Thu 15 Oct 00:44:post reply

quote:
What you say!!

quote:
This would be nice if it meant I could one day play Live A Live legitimately - instead, I get the impression it might lean closer to "hold the well-known Dragon Quest games hostage".

I find the cycle of localization (amongst all Japan publishers) to be fascinating-- we've moved from the "localize it but make sure to excise all Japanese references and/or completely resin the game because *REASONS*" days of the 90's (when staggeringly bad/pointless decisions got made, like renumbering FFIV and VI) to the "lets take lots of chances with localizing games even if they don't sell" days of the early 2000's, when I think a lot of equally bad decisions got made, leading to where we are now, when publishers are (probably rightly) nervous about bringing a lot of titles to the English-speaking world. After all, how many times can Sega get burned by listening to fans and localizing Yakuza games, only to have them sell in pitiful numbers? Or as another more direct example, how many DQ can Squenix lovingly translate (DQIV-VI on DS) only to see just modest success? My impression is that while fans of both of these franchises in the west are very vocal (me included!) the numbers may not equal enough sales to make it with doing.

EDIT: Almost forgot! This sounds like a uniquely Cafe-ish pursuit, even though my persona feeling is that it's probably bullshit.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

[this message was edited by karasu on Thu 15 Oct 01:23]

Mosquiton
2080th Post

"Re(8):Random games: on for 20 years edition" , posted Thu 15 Oct 03:58post reply

quote:
What you say!!

I find the cycle of localization (amongst all Japan publishers) to be fascinating-- we've moved from the "localize it but make sure to excise all Japanese references and/or completely resin the game because *REASONS*" days of the 90's (when staggeringly bad/pointless decisions got made, like renumbering FFIV and VI) to the "lets take lots of chances with localizing games even if they don't sell" days of the early 2000's, when I think a lot of equally bad decisions got made, leading to where we are now, when publishers are (probably rightly) nervous about bringing a lot of titles to the English-speaking world. After all, how many times can Sega get burned by listening to fans and localizing Yakuza games, only to have them sell in pitiful numbers? Or as another more direct example, how many DQ can Squenix lovingly translate (DQIV-VI on DS) only to see just modest success? My impression is that while fans of both of these franchises in the west are very vocal (me included!) the numbers may not equal enough sales to make it with doing.

I imagine that more modest PlayStation-era game budgets and the rising cultural stock of anime/Japan have a lot to do with the "take lots of chances" era.

And this doesn't completely follow the topic of localization, but speaking of "not enough sales to make it worth doing," every company owns people who own calculators, but nobody can predict the future. Maybe if you were to give that series one last chance. Maybe the game just needs a digital release on the right platform.

And surely it's worth considering that immediate, short-term profits aren't the only possible consideration for keeping fans happy and keeping a series "alive" in any given territory. A company has to be able to think farther ahead than it's next meal, right?

/ / /

Spoon
3096th Post

"Re(9):Random games: on for 20 years edition" , posted Fri 16 Oct 03:13post reply

Random question:
What is the best way to play Final Fantasy Tactics in English these days? PSP War of the Lions? PSP War of the Lions on a Vita? PSX on a PC emulator?

quote:
Live A Live

Live A Live high Five
20 years later MEGALOMANIA still rings in my head!

Maou
2938th Post

"Re(10):Random games: on for 20 years edition" , posted Fri 16 Oct 05:57post reply

quote:

What is the best way to play Final Fantasy Tactics
PSX on a PC

Ahahahaha. Though if I were unfortunate enough to ever be forced to play that game in English, I might seek out that version for purely Dadaist/postmodern reasons.

Spoon
3097th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Random games: on for 20 years ed" , posted Fri 16 Oct 06:18post reply

quote:

What is the best way to play Final Fantasy Tactics
PSX on a PC
Ahahahaha. Though if I were unfortunate enough to ever be forced to play that game in English, I might seek out that version for purely Dadaist/postmodern reasons.

That's the thing; it's got a bizarre flavour all its own!

Maou
2939th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Random games: on for 20 years ed" , posted Fri 16 Oct 06:41post reply

Go, Spoon! "This is the way!"

Then again, since the only real value of Matsuno games is their political intrigue since he can't develop characters to save his life, you'll probably benefit from knowing what's actually going on. Unless you're in for 40 hours of MST3000 set to extremely good music, the original "translation" will be about as fun as reading a mistranslated high school history book.

Loona
934th Post

"Re(10):Random games: on for 20 years edition" , posted Fri 16 Oct 18:35:post reply

quote:
Random question:
What is the best way to play Final Fantasy Tactics in English these days? PSP War of the Lions? PSP War of the Lions on a Vita? PSX on a PC emulator?

Live A Live

Live A Live high Five
20 years later MEGALOMANIA still rings in my head!

The whole soundtrack is amazing, and I'm glad to see it got an orchestral take at least once (part 2 here).
Also, apparently the Buriki Daioh theme got the JAM Project treatment once - it was asking for it the moment they put that karaoke bit in the game, but it's good to see it come to fruition. Someone also played that on acoustic guitar and it sounds pretty nice.

As for more modern news, the PXZ2 blog confirmed the return of the Crosspedia, and read my mind by using Segata Sanshiro as the example character, even if I can't read it - I wonder if it gives some context on the Saturnless world the game takes place in...

...!!

[this message was edited by Loona on Fri 16 Oct 18:45]

Spoon
3100th Post

"Resident Evil HD 1996 voice mod" , posted Wed 21 Oct 17:09post reply

Mod now available to download, truly the definitive version of Resident Evil

jUAN
4588th Post

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: WiiU:Buttermonster

"Toxico-chan" , posted Tue 27 Oct 21:25post reply

how do i play sorceress properly? What should i concentrate on?

s....skeletons???

*depressed voodoo teleport dance*

Toxico
5979th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(1):Toxico-chan" , posted Wed 28 Oct 04:54post reply

quote:

s....skeletons???

Fufufuh, you shoulld have just bumped the Kamitani thread.

Skeletons are great on dealing damage, but they will always have defence 0 and that can't be changed; so rather than maxing them up, some people leave just a couple of points of them and use them as a disposable distraction (it can be very worth it even far off the game).

The sorceress is the best definition of all rounder in the game, she has plenty of characteristics and can be "good" at doing most things in the game that you want to be done, the thing is that one can't do eveything without understanding some important facts.....

On of the major problems with playing mage classes and not knowing being a seasoned, is that the player keeps running out of MP at critical times and that your damage will be less than stellar when it matters. In my case, it took me only like 200 hours to realize that I was the problem rather than the game being ill designed for casters in all circumstances..... Now, why was I the problem? That's because I was being wastful.
It's something that it's obvious if you think about it, but when playing, going 1 vs 1 or 1 vs 3 basically every rod skill is great and there is plenty of time for everything.... But when 5~8 enemies start popping, you can't behave the same as if they were 2; one needs to be more critical on how mp is spent, trying to balance high damage x high area of effect.

For example, with the fire rod the jumping hold circle attack and the standing circle attack can easily involve 3/5 of the screen for great damage, that saves a huge load of mp compared to doing up + circle or down + circle and praying for the best. It adds mobility to boot contrary to attacking next to the enemies. Those attacks are also good on groups with the ice rod, but they are not "as good" and the ice rod has attacks that are much better on groups (like the jumping hold up + hold circle, which is basically a wide area shot gun). Another example is for the lightning rod, where tapping circle has the ability to hit several enemies unlike the other rods.... So yeah, not all rods attack should be used the same, different rods are indeed different and takes experience to get used to the ins and outs.

There is also that skill that recovers mp when enemies are killed. It really shines in the post game dungeons since there you acn find large groups AND it even triggers when you destroy enemy projectiles (like, in the vampire fight, each small vampire familiar will count as a kill). That skill is usually the best at low levels (like 1~3).
Also note that if you capped levitation, all of your air attacks do 150% of damage compared to the ground attacks which are stuck at 100%. This is why many magicians focus on air battle (which -again- adds mobility to boot).

Another important thing with the Sorceress is hand speed. If one does not know or is bad at cancelling, she won't do damage at all. Her basic atk abilities are perhaps the worse in the game..... But she has the characteristic that her attacks can be cancelled with more attacks when you doing right, so when you get quick enough she is basically the quickest attacker on the game, and high speed repetition of attacks means high damage.

I'm no expert with casters, but as far as I known there it are many basic cancel guide lines that can be useful to aim to :

1.- First of all; learn how to give 4~5 charged (hold circle) air attacks; to do so is simple when you "get it". Normally, one can just attack once per jump and once per air dodge, so jump, attack, air dodge, attack, jump, attack, air dodge, attack, air dodge attack and levitate out of the way. Against some super large groups it's good not to use up all dodges before levitating away for safety's sake.

2.- Learn the timming on how long you need to holding circle to get the strong shots. While jumping and just "holding circle" you can attack once per jump; but if you jump and you press "up + hold circle", you can give as many attacks; once this is mastered, the Sorceress can kill extremly quickly large or airbone enemies; these attacks are good with the fire rod and the ice rod and ok good with the thunder rod. At the ideal timming, the player can give six charged shots after double jumping once.
The trick part is that one needs to hold up only when attacking; and then doing a neutral jump, otherwise you will jump away from the ideal range of hitting the enemy as up + jump does a foreground jump.

3.- Master how to cancel jump. One of the easiest ways to high damage stand still enemies regardless of their size (such as, guys affected by gravity), is to jump, attack and cancel jump. To do this, give a neutral jump with hold circle, and while the attack is comming out press and hold down and press jump. The "problem" with this is that it won't work if you slightly tap circle or down, both of them need to be "pressed hardly -> hold" for a mili second else the cancel won't come out. And of course you can't press "down + jump" on the initial jump else the Sorceress will jump out of the way.
The more you practice this, the faster it will come out. Most of the guys in my friend list can do this incredibly quickly, as if the Sorceress is trapped between a spring floor and a spting ceiling (I'm a lot slower than them).
This can be even be combined with the first tech of attacking several times in a jump; unfortunately you can't cancel jump your second jump, only your first; so you can jump, dodge attack once or twice and then down cancel jump your attack, it can really help on maximizing ground mp charge time.

4.- You can be 'cosmetic' as well. The last form of cancelling is probably the less crucial gameplay wise, but having mastering really shows that one is "not normal", heh. Basically one gives a standing rod attack (most likely a up or down circle attack), then as it comes out, you cancel the animation with running and you do it again. The quicker the player does this, the less far apart each attack will be. A friend of mine does this so quickly, that there is basically no space separating the rod attacks. Here is someone in youtube playing with it and he isn't nearly doing it at top speed..
Now, I haven't investigated this one to the maximum (I'm bad at it); but I know that there are two ways of running: One is just tapping forward twice, and the other once is holding attack and pressing forward; I don't known which one of those two forms is the best to make this cancel. At least for all of the characters that I'm good at, there is no difference between those running types......

Oh, lastly, there is youtube videos of players that make one drool, its strange how Dragon's Crown doesn't seem like a too complex guy until you see this random asian player you can't imitate without like 400 hrs practice. These are all Ultimate difficulty, which really shows how much you are into the game and how much your skillz have developed. For studying purposes, there is no need to see the videos completely (too many hours each, btw), it might be useful to random skip it and notice what the players do when things get really hectic.

Solo Sorceress in the post game difficulty, battling starts around min 2:00

Another guy that specializes in playing in groups, he is actually a pretty cool dude who I play frequently.

Another Sorceress going through story mode

.... So, that's the "basics" of hand skill and attacking that are worth it on every build. But that doesn't touch builds nor playing styles.
There is basically two types of Sorceress, ones that focus on high damage and ones that focus on supporting skills. Even though "they sound specific", the two types are great both when soloing and when partying; and obviously you can go "in-between" and mix the characteristics of those two choices in one eternally 17 package.

.... Now, the amazing thing of the Sorceress; is that "damage focused" or "spell focused" is mostly dictated by your gear; so by taking advantage of having several bags, you can have all playstyles of Sorceres in one character (this is pretty much impossible to achieve for other classes other than perhaps the Wizard).
To do a damage focused Sorceress, the basics of the basics is to have all three rods to hit all elemental weakness. Even with tree rods, the player has space for adding spells like Protection or Blizzard, which are basically the strongest spells of the Sorceress.
Spell focused Sorceress, have less gear and more spells; the normal ideal is to have just one rod or two and gear and spells, but there are some extreme cases of Sorceres that have only one or two pieces of defensive gear, 1 rod and all of the rest of the bag is nothing but spells; this "idea" really shines once the player gets a hold of gear that has "xx% chance of not using up a spell book when activated", which can be found on Ultimate and I think two pieces of gear can have it.

.... Well, gotta leave home now. I'm gonna try to stalk the friend list more, so maybe we can share online experience if we are lucky? That might also allow some more extensive lab time.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

Maou
2947th Post

"Re(2):Toxico-chan" , posted Wed 28 Oct 05:01:post reply

quote:
.... Well, gotta leave home now. I'm gonna try to stalk the friend list more, so maybe we can share online experience if we are lucky?

Dear Toxico check your twitter ASAP. We have big plans for you.

Love,
Sorceress

EDIT: Now that I have your attention, this is approaching a Toxico Jack-2 level of analysis for maximum Sorcellation.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 28 Oct 05:39]

jUAN
4589th Post

"Re(2):Toxico-chan" , posted Wed 28 Oct 11:07post reply

Thanks for all the info! Exactly what I was looking for!

Like you mentioned, I was having a lot of problems with MP, and in general not understanding how I was supposed to be attacking.

I'll try to get a hang on the cancelling stuff. It sounds hard, but the game seems to be forgiving enough with my sloppy Amazon even on higher difficulties.

I'll also have to refresh on elemental weaknesses. Got too spoiled with the Amazon just bruteforcing everything.

I just saw other players cast sassy spells and skeletons and I always get jealous.

This game is nice

quote:

s....skeletons???

Fufufuh, you shoulld have just bumped the Kamitani thread.

Skeletons are great

Toxico
5980th Post

"Re(3):Toxico-chan" , posted Wed 28 Oct 11:54post reply

quote:

I'll try to get a hang on the cancelling stuff. It sounds hard, but the game seems to be forgiving enough with my sloppy Amazon even on higher difficulties.

I'll also have to refresh on elemental weaknesses. Got too spoiled with the Amazon just bruteforcing everything.

Yeah, sort of like I pointed out, doing all of the cancels "perfectly" it's pretty damn hard; but doing them "so so" it's kinda easy and can get you pretty far (that's sort of my level with magicians). The hardest part is realizing that you can cancel stuff, but you were already tutored.

For elemental weakness, it's kinda "instinctive" so there is no need to really force oneself to memorize stuff. Things that have lots of fur or wood must be hit with fire; zombies must naturally be hit by fire; stuff that breathes fire or live on hell (hot place) must be hit with ice and guys that wear metallic armor must be hit with lightning. There are some aquatic or flying things that must be hit with lightning here and there too, but that's a little bit more tricky to identify; there are also some more "specific ones" that can't be guessed without trying.

Also, there is a "visual confirmation" when using the right elements. When you use the wrong element, the impact graphic of the attack will be a bluish white impact; when you use a neutral element it's a regular sized "bloody impact" and when you use the weakness is a much larger and much bloodier impact than the regular one. Since magic is normally to visually big to tell the difference, try to check with the "tap circle" attacks what kind of impact they produce when in doubt.

It takes experience to tell, but after many hours is only natural to get used to see the differences even among the chaos.

obscene voodo dance eternally seventeen teleport

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Professor
4668th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Toxico-chan" , posted Thu 29 Oct 02:38post reply

quote:
For elemental weakness, it's kinda "instinctive" so there is no need to really force oneself to memorize stuff. Things that have lots of fur or wood must be hit with fire; zombies must naturally be hit by fire; stuff that breathes fire or live on hell (hot place) must be hit with ice and guys that wear metallic armor must be hit with lightning. There are some aquatic or flying things that must be hit with lightning here and there too, but that's a little bit more tricky to identify; there are also some more "specific ones" that can't be guessed without trying.

Wow it's quite amazing to see the various techniques that people dug up in the two and so years since the game's release! I should get back into gear with Elf before Halloween, lol.

Spoon
3113th Post

"Re(5):Toxico-chan" , posted Thu 29 Oct 04:54post reply

Nier 2 magazine scans

Probably others have commented before about Yoko Taro's stageplay and how this has plot connection to it. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Loona
939th Post

"Re(6):Toxico-chan" , posted Thu 29 Oct 18:45post reply

Dissidia arcade site updated with a new video featuring the currently confirmed cast (minus Ramza) from FF1 to FF14 - one character per game, plus new footage of Shiva, Ramuh and Odin, plus what seems to be a FFX beach stage.
I can't white make out what the snow stage by the end is - not quite Narshe, I think, but while the dark stone steps there remind me of Xarcabard in FFXI, the big ice crystals also shown there aren't really a feature of the area.

I wonder if the changes to black mages in FFXI since Dissidia was released will have an effect on Shantotto - for example, the ability to temporarily take damage using MP instead of HP (which in Dissidia would mean replacing MP with Brave?...)

...!!

Maou
2950th Post

"Re(7):Toxico-chan" , posted Thu 29 Oct 23:38post reply

I still think it's too bad that Square-Enix forgot their own joke and let Vaan be the hero from Final Oiyoiyo XII rather than self-proclaimed protagonist Balflear, but if they provide multiple new opportunities for Vaan's terrible voice actor to flub his lines while annoying the other Dissidia characters, they can surely redeem themselves!

Spoon
3114th Post

"Re(8):Toxico-chan" , posted Fri 30 Oct 03:03post reply

Gameplay trailer for Nier Automata, the game formerly known as Nier New Project formerly known as Nier 2

I don't know if I'm ready for a Nier that has unironically good gameplay.

Mosquiton
2085th Post

"Oh, 2B NieR you...." , posted Fri 30 Oct 03:43post reply

quote:
Gameplay trailer for Nier Automata, the game formerly known as Nier New Project formerly known as Nier 2

There's no mistaking that this is a Platinum Game, is there? If the hero had cut loose with a zandatsu or initiated a torture attack I wouldn't have blinked an eye.

While it's certainly DEAD ON regarding my expectations from platinum. I can see some familiar elements from NieR as well. I'm particularly happy to see the gun pod spewing projectiles. Maybe it's spewing out "sealed verses" from e-books? Will it also chat with you? Will you and the pod swap bits of data back and forth to modify the power of your weapon systems?

Also my French is quite poor but even without understanding everything this video leading up to the gameplay reveal is quite worth watching as well. If you're cool a fan of NieR, I mean.

/ / /

Spoon
3115th Post

"Re(1):Oh, 2B NieR you...." , posted Fri 30 Oct 03:50post reply

quote:

There's no mistaking that this is a Platinum Game, is there? If the hero had cut loose with a zandatsu or initiated a torture attack I wouldn't have blinked an eye.

While it's certainly DEAD ON regarding my expectations from platinum. I can see some familiar elements from NieR as well. I'm particularly happy to see the gun pod spewing projectiles. Maybe it's spewing out "sealed verses" from e-books? Will it also chat with you? Will you and the pod swap bits of data back and forth to modify the power of your weapon systems?

Also my French is quite poor but even without understanding everything this video leading up to the gameplay reveal is quite worth watching as well. If you're cool a fan of NieR, I mean.

The "charge up attack" animation stages and camera and intensifying particle seems to have the exact same feel across like 4 titles now (Bayo 1+2, MGR, Nier 2). I guess they just really love it!

It was good to see the return of bullet hell, though I was a little disappointed to see it so easily defeated with invulnerable dashes.

I do wonder if the Option pod following you around that shoots projectiles like Grimoire Weiss will also serve as your banter companion like Weiss.

Ishmael
5300th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(2):Oh, 2B NieR you...." , posted Fri 30 Oct 05:02post reply

I still have trouble believing that Nier 2 exists. What cosmic alignment allowed this game to get the green light? I'm not complaining, mind you, but I do wonder how the powers that be at Square Enix decided that there was something in Nier that was worth continuing with the addition of Platinum gameplay.

Speaking of game resurrections, Don Bluth and company are trying to Kickstart a Dragon's Lair movie. The project is ludicrous and the reward tiers are terrible but I do find it interesting that there is still interest in the original QTE game. Maybe instead of trying to get a $70 million dollar movie off the ground they should just make a new Dragon's Lair game and contract the whole thing out to Platinum.

Lord SNK
89th Post

Occasional Customer

"Zero Escape 3" , posted Sat 31 Oct 18:32post reply

Zero Escape 3 now is called Zero Time Dilemma and will be out in the west during summer 2016.

But the European release will be digital only.
Why!?!

This make me really sad.
Stupid 3DS region lock :(

Gojira
3143th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(1):Zero Escape 3" , posted Sat 31 Oct 20:58post reply

quote:
Zero Escape 3 now is called Zero Time Dilemma and will be out in the west during summer 2016.

But the European release will be digital only.
Why!?!

This make me really sad.
Stupid 3DS region lock :(

Well, at least there's a Vita version.

Still wow, for once a physical version in the US and digital in Europe. At least 4 of the last few games I bought this year were digital-only unless imported from Europe. What a weird game to break the trend, unless it just wasn't popular in Europe for some reason. Surely you Europeans like games that ship with game-breaking, save-corrupting bugs?

They've also released the promo artwork finally, and although it's definitely not Nishimura it does look better than I initially thought. Also is it just me or does the style look really familiar? I'm not sure where I've seen it before, though.

Lord SNK
90th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Zero Escape 3" , posted Sun 1 Nov 00:22post reply

quote:

Well, at least there's a Vita version.

Still wow, for once a physical version in the US and digital in Europe. At least 4 of the last few games I bought this year were digital-only unless imported from Europe. What a weird game to break the trend, unless it just wasn't popular in Europe for some reason. Surely you Europeans like games that ship with game-breaking, save-corrupting bugs?

I don't know sales number, but I thought it sold enough, surely better than in Japan.

chazumaru
1590th Post

"Zero Escape 3 / MonStrike" , posted Mon 2 Nov 21:12post reply

Publishing in Europe is very complex because of the different distribution channels, as well as the different countries making the online order of a physical copy much more complicated to handle than the US release. So a small publisher might prefer to mitigate the risk by relying on the convenience of eShop/PS Store (and that is assuming they even have a European office in the first place). This news is rather a testament that niche players of Japanese games have responded well and adapted faster to the digital transition, whatever they might say publicly against this method.

Regarding the Zero Escape series, let's remember the first episode 999 did not even come out officially in Europe. Also, the series relies strongly on its story/dialogue/text which has never been translated in any Western language outside English. So, even without taking into account that digital novels are generally more popular in the US than in Europe because of the very different ways Japanese pop culture has entered both side of the Atlantic, it would stand to reason that this franchise in particular is bigger in the US than in Europe.

Speaking of Japanese IPs trying to get a foothold into the West, the viewership numbers for Monster Strike's US version are so-so. Meanwhile, the JP version of the first episode has passed 1M views.

Même Narumi est épatée !

youloute
13th Post

New Customer

"Hirofumi Matsuoka has passed away" , posted Tue 3 Nov 18:56post reply

Former Falcom composer Hirofumi Matsuoka has passed away at 46. He died of stomach cancer.

Blog: http://studio21net.blog.fc2.com/
Discography: http://vgmdb.net/artist/706

Spoon
3128th Post

"Mushihimesama released on Steam" , posted Sun 8 Nov 10:52post reply

If somebody asked me what the most iconic Cave property is, I'd say it's Dodonpachi. If somebody asked me what the actually best Cave game is, I'd say it's Progear or ESPrade or ESPGaluda.

But if you asked me which character is the one I remember most clearly from Cave, it's the girl dressed in the sailor uniform atop a giant beetle, whose hair flared into this halo background above her in Mucha-esque fashion.

The legal screen for it is delightful, to the full extent of the jam.

Loona
946th Post

"Final Final Fantasy XI" , posted Mon 9 Nov 22:15post reply

This week the final chapter of the last major FFXI storyline is released - well over a decade of one of the most developed game universes I've played through, even if one mostly ignored by a lot of FF fans.
I wrote a huge post about its charm points on Reddit as a reply to someone interested in the game I'm not sure would interest the fine folks here, but it does cover a lot of nice touches - if were to add anything else without going into smaller particulars, it would be this tour of an area in the game that's functionally a corridor and rarely used in the game, yet sets the tone for some of the major story arcs while service as a passage to a once endgame area; especially considering one of the statues displayed in it is chained Promathia, the final boss for the expansion that was released after it ("Chains of Promathia") - and from the look of the new trailer Altana (the other statue, and primary divinity in the setting) might make an appearance "in person" by the last story's end.

It's not the end of the game, and there have been mentions of at least one quest to be added at a later update, but it feels like the end of an era - I've been playing it since 2007, with a few breaks, so I can only imagine how it feels to players who picked the game up much earlier in its lifespan (when it was even more unforgiving, something XIV's early troubles helped to solve).

...!!

Ishmael
5311th Post

"Not divisible" , posted Wed 11 Nov 04:19post reply

Indivisible is hoping to feature guest characters. It's a shame it doesn't look like this game is going to get funded. While I found the pitch for the game to be a bit over-ambitious and the demo to be more than a bit slap happy I also thought it was a lot of fun and something I would play.

Maou
2968th Post

"Re(1):Not divisible" , posted Wed 11 Nov 06:35post reply

quote:
Indivisible is hoping to feature guest characters. It's a shame it doesn't look like this game is going to get funded. While I found the pitch for the game to be a bit over-ambitious and the demo to be more than a bit slap happy I also thought it was a lot of fun and something I would play.

That is a shame! The only thing crazier than their goal of $1.5 million was that they hit more than half of that, despite being a somewhat obscure (if highly talented) group. I would play a Skullgirls platformer...maybe they should've gone with their name-maker!

chazumaru
1597th Post

"Re(2):Not divisible" , posted Wed 11 Nov 21:42:post reply

"I would play a Skullgirls platformer...maybe they should've gone with their name-maker!"

I am not sure if this was already something clear to you but the game they are currently failing to get funded is not a platformer but an Action-RPG similar to Valkyrie Profile with a bigger focus on exploration and more complex battle mechanics. Based on recent trends in the crowdfunding community, I think a regular platformer with action elements could have possibly reached a wider audience.

It might just be that not enough people are nostalgic for VP (at least among people who have the funds or the habit to support crowdfunding). It might also be that the art style of Lab Zero does not resonate with people nostalgic for VP. We were discussing this with Iggy elsewhere and I wondered if you could even pique their interest without the Yoshinari Bros. taking care of the character design. It seems even Exist Archive (as close as a sequel to VP as you'll get) is struggling to get gamers motivated.

Lab Zero seems really good at creating original characters and interesting backgrounds; a skill that benefits a fighting game more than the kind of game they promoted here, for which the overall story/scenario and the characterization of the protagonist seems to matter more than providing a gallery of equally interesting characters. All of this is 20/20 hindsight, obviously.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 11 Nov 21:43]

Freeter
4648th Post

"Re(1):Not divisible" , posted Wed 11 Nov 21:56post reply

quote:
It's a shame it doesn't look like this game is going to get funded.

Momentum is starting to gain and they're working with IGG to get a 20-day extension. Let's not start waving white flags till the last second.

Ishmael
5313th Post

"Re(2):Not divisible" , posted Thu 12 Nov 01:27post reply

quote:
Momentum is starting to gain and they're working with IGG to get a 20-day extension. Let's not start waving white flags till the last second.

I'm glad that Lab Zero managed to get and extension and I hope the game makes it. Still, what happened? Was the amount of money they were asking for insane? Should they not have used Indiegogo? Did Lab Zero not get out the right sort of promotion? Is building a game around several old titles, some of which weren't that popular to begin with, too niche for its own good? Is trying to drum up money for a new property so near the holiday season a tough sell? Did questionable moves by other high profile crowdfunding projects poison the well? Am I ever going to stop asking questions?

Maou
2972th Post

"Re(3):Not divisible" , posted Thu 12 Nov 02:06:post reply

quote:
not a platformer but an Action-RPG similar to Valkyrie Profile with a bigger focus on exploration and more complex battle mechanics. Based on recent trends in the crowdfunding community, I think a regular platformer with action elements could have possibly reached a wider audience.

Bah, everyone is an RPG these days. For me, the defining feature was Dracula X Nocturne-style jumping around. Maybe Lab Zero should've played up that angle since Valkyrie barely broke half a million in Japan...16 years ago, and I can't imagine it did even remotely as well in their English-speaking target market.

While I can't answer Ishmael's existential questions, I still think creating a new set of characters, while admirable in terms of artistic integrity, is a pretty bold move. Skullgirls may not be Street Fighter, but that's a healthy crowd of players familiar with your work that could help.

Could the problem be the character design? With Skullgirls the slightly (charmingly, attractively) amateurish look to the design is offset by the sexiness, but Indivisible is stuck with someone who looks like Shantae without the smoothly professional look.

Or could it be that in the vacuum created by Konami's abandonment, Dracula-esque exploratory action games are the most overdone indie projects available? If even Igarashi is doing it, that's a pretty tough rival for your funding.

quote:
We were discussing this with Iggy elsewhere
浮気者!I know your philandering advantaged.net ways. Remarkably, it's still funny even with my ever-rustier French.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 12 Nov 02:12]

Iggy
10040th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P - IGGY ARI !

"Re(4):Not divisible" , posted Thu 12 Nov 02:41post reply

quote:
Remarkably, it's still funny even with my ever-rustier French.
Are you saying you didn't take French lessons to keep up with my multiple ramblings?
Though to be honest, I think I ramble more here than there recently. Maybe I should ask people here whether they remember Battle of Olympus on NES?

Either way, I'll probably comment my progress in PxZ2 on Facebook.
PxZ2 Sega spoiler

Most of the Sega characters, Ôkami, Sakura, Erica, Ryô or Ulala recognize Segata Sanshirô.... but Gemini doesn't. These people know what's up.

End of Spoiler

Spoon
3134th Post

"Re(5):Not divisible" , posted Thu 12 Nov 04:01post reply

quote:
Gemini

Is the angle that they're playing that Gemini's from America, or that Gemini is too recent, or both?

Also, the crane badge/medal collection game for 3DS has been unleashed in the West. It is horrifying. Nintendo will make a krillion dollars with this. The sales rabbit is possibly one of the best animated 3D characters Nintendo has ever made. I haven't felt the urge to put money into one of these free to play/start games in a long time. Good lord.

If Nintendo's mobile games have the same level of thought put into it as this, Nintendo's gonna be just fine.

Iggy
10041th Post

"Re(6):Not divisible" , posted Thu 12 Nov 04:11post reply

quote:
Is the angle that they're playing that Gemini's from America, or that Gemini is too recent, or both?
She just, well, never heard of the guy. I wonder why...

The rabbit of Badge Center is my favourite Nintendo character since Hades in the new Kid Icarus. And he's (she's?) almost as evil. And also DIO. And reads Saint Seiya. And a shitty Pokémon trainer. And it's gender fluid. I want to hug it and strangle it at the same time. If it's not at least the shop keeper in Smash Bros NX, heads will roll.
I wonder how much of its insane banter they're going to be able to localize. That thing keeps on talking. On. And on. Every day for the free stage, and almost once a week for the new added stage, and each time with new crazy settings... I should have sent my CV to NOE to work exclusively on it.

Maou
2973th Post

"Re(5):Not divisible" , posted Thu 12 Nov 04:13:post reply

quote:
Are you saying you didn't take French lessons to keep up with my multiple ramblings?
Only if it's (very) private home tutoring by Iggy-senpai. Kikkoken from class 1-B can come over too.

What were we talking about again? Oh, right. Your spoiler reminds me: people in the West might not get it, but Segata Sanshiro represents Sega's most successful console of all time in Japan. Put an even weirder way: the first Sonic the Hedgehog significant numbers of people encountered was not one of the good ones on Mega Drive.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 12 Nov 04:15]

Spoon
3135th Post

"Re(6):Not divisible" , posted Thu 12 Nov 04:49post reply

quote:

What were we talking about again? Oh, right. Your spoiler reminds me: people in the West might not get it, but Segata Sanshiro represents Sega's most successful console of all time in Japan. Put an even weirder way: the first Sonic the Hedgehog significant numbers of people encountered was not one of the good ones on Mega Drive.

I guess I should've wrote out what I meant when I said "from America" in that I meant that America never got exposed to Segata Sanshiro officially, and the Saturn was not successful in America.

That it represents Sega's most successful console of all-time in Japan is something that totally makes sense when I think about it after you bring it up, but was definitely not what I was thinking initially!

Which character is the principal Dreamcast representative in PxZ2?

Iggy
10042th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(7):Not divisible" , posted Thu 12 Nov 05:13post reply

quote:
I guess I should've wrote out what I meant when I said "from America" in that I meant that America never got exposed to Segata Sanshiro officially, and the Saturn was not successful in America.
Ah! I didn't understand it that way!
My interpretation was that Gemini's game is the only one released on PS2. And also that we don't talk about Sakura Taisen 5 generally. But mostly it wasn't released on a Sega console so she doesn't know.

quote:
Which character is the principal Dreamcast representative in PxZ2?
In my perfectly unbiased view: since it stars Ulala, best DC character, but also best Sega character and serious contender for best videogame character, I'd say she wins. If you think that's unfair to compare the rest of the nobodies to Ulala and disqualify her for being too awesome, I'd say... Erica? I remember reading people were pissed in the previous game that Sakura Taisen got far more exposure than some other series, including Tales, and from what I can see in 2, the trend keeps on (and I'm perfectly fine with that).
But back on the DC front, I'm surprised they didn't add even a small Segagaga reference somewhere, into Ulala's parade or something. Maybe in PxZ3!

Mosquiton
2093th Post

"Clubs and olives" , posted Thu 12 Nov 06:05:post reply

quote:
Maybe I should ask people here whether they remember Battle of Olympus on NES?

I used to be super-into Greek mythology and Zelda II (I'm still rather fond of both really), so naturally I loved this game. However, I only played through once since I borrowed it from a friend. I would be happy to share my recollections from times of antiquity for the modest price of 50 olives (I could really use some ambrosia).

I'll share one anecdote as a token of good will. My told me that he physically flipped over his television screen for the final battle with Hades (for anyone unfamiliar, you duel against an inverted shadow projected onto the ground below you, a very cool fight). My family's television was a little too heavy for that, but I managed to beat the game without flipping my shit, so to speak.

Ah, one more thing. I also remember thinking that it was really cool and befitting of an underdog to begin a game with a wooden club. I mean, I guess it's all Hercules needs, but Orpheus wasn't quite on the same power level. Acquiring new weapons, shields, and relics felt very heroic in this game. Everything felt like a big deal. You get items that halve the damage you take, double your damage dealt... they feel like big steps that propel you toward finishing the game.

Hell, even gathering 20 salamander skins felt like a worthwhile quest back the day. Of course, unlike a typical MMO reward, the salamander shield has a huge immediate impact on your adventure by letting you access a brand new area to continue your quest. Really a thoughtful and lovely game.

Ah, I guess I couldn't resist sharing my thoughts. Forget the olives.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Thu 12 Nov 06:20]

Spoon
3138th Post

"Re(1):Clubs and olives" , posted Thu 12 Nov 07:16post reply

quote:
Maybe I should ask people here whether they remember Battle of Olympus on NES?

I remember it looked nice, but it didn't capture my imagination the way either Faxanadu or Zelda II did, so I wound up never really playing it. I wonder if going back would be worthwhile at this point, or if I should just play Blaster Master (which I own the NES cart of but have never beaten!) or Guardian Legend instead.

Hell, sometimes I still think about beating Section Z. Goddamn that game was hard to figure out.

Loona
952th Post

"Re(8):Not divisible" , posted Thu 12 Nov 21:20post reply

quote:
I guess I should've wrote out what I meant when I said "from America" in that I meant that America never got exposed to Segata Sanshiro officially, and the Saturn was not successful in America.Ah! I didn't understand it that way!
My interpretation was that Gemini's game is the only one released on PS2.

That makes more sense, if Erica recognizes him but Gemini doesn't.

quote:

Which character is the principal Dreamcast representative in PxZ2? In my perfectly unbiased view: since it stars Ulala, best DC character, but also best Sega character and serious contender for best videogame character, I'd say she wins. If you think that's unfair to compare the rest of the nobodies to Ulala and disqualify her for being too awesome, I'd say... Erica? I remember reading people were pissed in the previous game that Sakura Taisen got far more exposure than some other series, including Tales, and from what I can see in 2, the trend keeps on (and I'm perfectly fine with that).
But back on the DC front, I'm surprised they didn't add even a small Segagaga reference somewhere, into Ulala's parade or something. Maybe in PxZ3!

Well, Ulala does summon Alex Kidd - maybe next game he'll have spoken lines as a barely bitter 30+ year old.

The through of Segagaga references with Segata in the game is too good to pass up, but I guess we'll have to enjoy our small reference miracles one at a time, playable Segata is already a big enough one as it is.
Then again, maybe later in PXZ2 he mentions something about Dogma firing the missile from the final commercial - or at least sneaking in references to the word "dogma" and the number 916 in the same sentence.

...!!

Iggy
10044th Post

"Re(1):Clubs and olives" , posted Fri 13 Nov 01:31post reply

quote:
Ah, I guess I couldn't resist sharing my thoughts. Forget the olives.
YES!
Yes to everything you said.
Ah, I like the Café.

nobinobita
1496th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Not divisible" , posted Fri 13 Nov 05:08post reply

quote:
not a platformer but an Action-RPG similar to Valkyrie Profile with a bigger focus on exploration and more complex battle mechanics. Based on recent trends in the crowdfunding community, I think a regular platformer with action elements could have possibly reached a wider audience.
Bah, everyone is an RPG these days. For me, the defining feature was Dracula X Nocturne-style jumping around. Maybe Lab Zero should've played up that angle since Valkyrie barely broke half a million in Japan...16 years ago, and I can't imagine it did even remotely as well in their English-speaking target market.

While I can't answer Ishmael's existential questions, I still think creating a new set of characters, while admirable in terms of artistic integrity, is a pretty bold move. Skullgirls may not be Street Fighter, but that's a healthy crowd of players familiar with your work that could help.

Could the problem be the character design? With Skullgirls the slightly (charmingly, attractively) amateurish look to the design is offset by the sexiness, but Indivisible is stuck with someone who looks like Shantae without the smoothly professional look.

Or could it be that in the vacuum created by Konami's abandonment, Dracula-esque exploratory action games are the most overdone indie projects available? If even Igarashi is doing it, that's a pretty tough rival for your funding.

We were discussing this with Iggy elsewhere浮気者&#

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

I just did a writeup on Indivisible and the real world cultures that inspired it.

http://art-eater.com/2015/11/the-real-life-inspirations-behind-indivisible/

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but the folks at Lab Zero have worked really hard on it. It's clear they poured their hearts into it so I really hope it gets funded!

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
3139th Post

"Random-ass Nintendo Direct" , posted Fri 13 Nov 08:51post reply

Cloud in Smash, DQ7 and DQ8 on 3DS (those poor bastards who had to localize DQ7 oh man), female Link whose name suggests she was Link and Tingle's love child...

Meanwhile I can no longer look at Link riding a horse in an open world without wondering whether or not I will be able to Fulton everything that isn't nailed to the ground.

nobinobita
1499th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):Not divisible" , posted Fri 13 Nov 14:16:post reply

quote:
Is the angle that they're playing that Gemini's from America, or that Gemini is too recent, or both?She just, well, never heard of the guy. I wonder why...

The rabbit of Badge Center is my favourite Nintendo character since Hades in the new Kid Icarus. And he's (she's?) almost as evil. And also DIO. And reads Saint Seiya. And a shitty Pokémon trainer. And it's gender fluid. I want to hug it and strangle it at the same time. If it's not at least the shop keeper in Smash Bros NX, heads will roll.
I wonder how much of its insane banter they're going to be able to localize. That thing keeps on talking. On. And on. Every day for the free stage, and almost once a week for the new added stage, and each time with new crazy settings... I should have sent my CV to NOE to work exclusively on it.

Oh my god. Just played Badge Center. It's ingenious. That rabbit is a disgustingly charming salesperson. I genuinely laughed out loud when it explained the concept of "real" money to me. And the way it keeps encouraging you saying "no pressure." How it sometimes says "My boss wanted me to tell you this" (regaurding spending money). It's really really really goddamn well done. We were attempting something like this in the game I'm working on, having a charming shopkeeper isn't anything new to games, but it's curiously absent from mobile. But man, Nintendo just totally blew everyone else out of the water. I agree with Spoon. If they can implement a mobile game with half this charm they'll be just fine.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Fri 13 Nov 14:17]

Spoon
3140th Post

"Re(8):Not divisible" , posted Fri 13 Nov 16:05post reply

The salesrabbit is dynamic and charming in a way that's Bugs Bunny-esque, what with all the shape changing and variation in his attempts to tease something out of you. And yes, when he turned into a photograph of a real rabbit to describe "real" I lost it. So good. This character seems to be a much better version of the salesrabbit that's in the Streetpass Mii Plaza.

Giving the salesperson a narrative like in Rusty's Real Deal Baseball was also a crazy awesome experiment, but while it's kind of amusing that particular setting was sometimes kind of unsettling.

Iggy
10045th Post

"Re(8):Not divisible" , posted Fri 13 Nov 19:00post reply

quote:
a charming shopkeeper
Speaking of, I must admit I had forgotten the existence of Sylfie until I ran into her in PxZ2 yesterday. And... was she always that frightening? Her double-faced shopkeeper banter is absolutely fantastic, in a VERY different way from the badge rabbit.
Or maybe that's the way she was written in NxC and they kept it in the sequels?

Loona
955th Post

"Re(9):Not divisible" , posted Fri 13 Nov 22:46post reply

quote:
a charming shopkeeper Speaking of, I must admit I had forgotten the existence of Sylfie until I ran into her in PxZ2 yesterday. And... was she always that frightening? Her double-faced shopkeeper banter is absolutely fantastic, in a VERY different way from the badge rabbit.
Or maybe that's the way she was written in NxC and they kept it in the sequels?

In NxC she was already quite the ruthless mercenary with a perpetual warm smile on her face, often trying to pull off stuff like trying to steal KOS-MOS - between that and her combat transformations and references to really old Capcom games in that game, to me she was practically Capcom personified there. But now that Captain Commando is the one summoning old Capcom characters in his attacks, the role seems a bit diluted. At least the emerging SHOP in unlikely places to the sound of Forgotten Worlds music remained, that never gets old.

Speaking of stuff getting old, last night I finished the final major expansion of Final Fantasy XI.
It was one of the few things that brought me tears this past decade (the others being the endings to Revenge of the Sith, Toy Story 3 and Hi Schoool SeHa Girls... what the hell is wrong with me?...).
Maybe it was 8 years of playing it and enjoying its many stories, and seeing them being used together by the end, the music that used an ever-growing choir section sung by players who sent their own samples, the story's theme reflecting the state of the game itself and it's eventual end, along with a character that's pretty much the living/digital legacy of the gam and its players (whom as such seems to be transitioning to FFXIV)... it was just too much, on top of a game so finely crafted in many big and subtle ways (if often merciless to the players in its past, something that FFXIV's early failure helped discourage).

I can't really expect people who didn't experience the game to relate to this much, but it's the first time a game got such a reaction out of me, to the extent that Cloud in Smash didn't feel like that big a deal in comparison. I guess I felt like sharing.

...!!

Ishmael
5318th Post

"Re(5):Not divisible" , posted Tue 17 Nov 04:18post reply

quote:
I just did a writeup on Indivisible and the real world cultures that inspired it.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but the folks at Lab Zero have worked really hard on it. It's clear they poured their hearts into it so I really hope it gets funded!

I'm tardy on this reply but thank you for this great write-up on the world of Indivisible. The inspirations the artists are drawing from are fascinating and underrepresented in games so it's great to see a breakdown of the sources Indivisible is drawing from.

nobinobita
1503th Post

"Re(6):Not divisible" , posted Tue 17 Nov 16:12:post reply

quote:

I'm tardy on this reply but thank you for this great write-up on the world of Indivisible. The inspirations the artists are drawing from are fascinating and underrepresented in games so it's great to see a breakdown of the sources Indivisible is drawing from.

Thanks Ishmael! I really hope Indivisible gets funded!

Lots of video games have been drawing from all these cultures as long as I can remember too. Particularly Squaresoft in the 90s. They're a big part of how I got interested in world mythology and other cultures.

For instance a lot of Yoshida's art is very Indian/SE Asian inspired. Ashley Riot is dressed like a South Asian warrior. They even use Balinese conventions in the music. Whenever something supernatural goes on there's a sound motiff that's taken straight out of the traditional live Balinese performance about Hanuman kicking ass in the Ramayana. Vagrant Story had a very South Asian look to the architecture in parts too. All this was much more obvious in FFXI which I think takes place in the distant past in the same world?

The only reason I know anything about Zoroastrianism is cos one of my best friends growing up was of Iranian descent and he explained all the Persian influences on FFV and VI to me. Console games were pretty much the only place in American culture where he could find any positive references to his own ancestry. There are lots of nods to Zoroastrianism and Bablyonian mythology in their library.

I remember my friend also noticed that one of the programmers at Square had a Persian name, Nasir Gebelli. Years later we learned he was actually born in Iran and was a superstar of early video games. I wonder if he helped introduce more middle eastern culture to Squaresoft's games. More likely it's just the product of people who have a healthy interest in cultures from all over. Creative people usually are curious about the rest of the world.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 17 Nov 16:14]

Maou
2980th Post

"Re(7):Not divisible" , posted Tue 17 Nov 17:08:post reply

I'm also late but need to echo Ishmael's thanks for such a great article as usual, Nobi! I'd love to see it get people fired up for the game, which has done impressively well fundraising given the circumstances.

quote:
The only reason I know anything about Zoroastrianism is cos one of my best friends growing up was of Iranian descent and he explained all the Persian influences on FFV and VI to me.
More likely it's just the product of people who have a healthy interest in cultures from all over. Creative people usually are curious about the rest of the world.

Nothing helps you remember/fear/hate the evil spirit Ahriman like having him be a huge jerk who turns you to stone while casting death spells! It would be interesting to know if Nasir Gebelli gave inspiration. Like the other Ultima- and Wizardry-influenced RPG creators in Japan, Square must have taken inspiration from the D&D source material's references to mythology and religion, though theirs seems to have expanded far beyond the European orientation I associate with D&D (as a non-player, admittedly).

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 17 Nov 17:09]

nobinobita
1503th Post

"Re(8):Not divisible" , posted Tue 17 Nov 18:38post reply

quote:
I'm also late but need to echo Ishmael's thanks for such a great article as usual, Nobi! I'd love to see it get people fired up for the game, which has done impressively well fundraising given the circumstances.

The only reason I know anything about Zoroastrianism is cos one of my best friends growing up was of Iranian descent and he explained all the Persian influences on FFV and VI to me.
More likely it's just the product of people who have a healthy interest in cultures from all over. Creative people usually are curious about the rest of the world.
Nothing helps you remember/fear/hate the evil spirit Ahriman like having him be a huge jerk who turns you to stone while casting death spells! It would be interesting to know if Nasir Gebelli gave inspiration. Like the other Ultima- and Wizardry-influenced RPG creators in Japan, Square must have taken inspiration from the D&D source material's references to mythology and religion, though theirs seems to have expanded far beyond the European orientation I associate with D&D (as a non-player, admittedly).

Haha thanks Maou! Yes! Ahriman is a great example!

Fun fact: many D&D monsters were based off of Hong Kong knock offs of Japanese Kaiju. Here is Tim Kask (one of the first testers on D&D) talking about the creation of some now iconic monsters:

“There once was an unknown company in Hong Kong that made a bag of weird animal-things that were then sold in what once were called dime stores or variety stores for like $.99. I know of four other very early monsters based on them. Gary and I talked about how hard it was to find monster figures, and how one day he came upon this bag of weird beasts…He nearly ran home, eager as a kid to get home and open his baseball cards. Then he proceeded to invent the carrion crawler, umber hulk, rust monster and purple worm, all based on those silly plastic figures. The one that I chose was known in the Greyhawk campaign as “the bullet” (for it’s shape) but had only amorphous stats and abilities, not being developed. Gary told me to take it home, study it, and decide what it was and what it could do.”

source:
http://diterlizzi.com/home/owlbears-rust-monsters-and-bulettes-oh-my/

My bro Andy is the one who told me about this. He's been meaning to actually catalogue which specific Ultraman monsters inspired which early D&D monsters. I think that will make a fantastic article.

I love this kind of cultural exchange. It's so fascinating. Conventional wisdom states that RPGs were the sole invention of Americans, then exported overseas. But reality is so much more layered than that! Inspiration can come from anywhere.

www.art-eater.com

Loona
956th Post

"Re(7):Not divisible" , posted Tue 17 Nov 20:34post reply

quote:
For instance a lot of Yoshida's art is very Indian/SE Asian inspired. Ashley Riot is dressed like a South Asian warrior. They even use Balinese conventions in the music. Whenever something supernatural goes on there's a sound motiff that's taken straight out of the traditional live Balinese performance about Hanuman kicking ass in the Ramayana. Vagrant Story had a very South Asian look to the architecture in parts too. All this was much more obvious in FFXI which I think takes place in the distant past in the same world?

I take it you mean FFXII?
FFXI can be quite the mixed bag (although an entire expansion in it goes for a middle-eastern aesthetic), but considering the size of the game and huge amount of creatures it's populated with, the mythological references and names used in it can get pretty obscure - I never see anything from Portuguese mythology mentioned anywhere else, but FFXI scraped the barrel far enough to sneak in Adamastor as one of the notorious monster giants in the game.

...!!

Spoon
3146th Post

"Re(7):Not divisible" , posted Wed 18 Nov 04:05post reply

quote:
vagrant story and eastern stuff

You forgot that the prerendered intro of Vagrant Story prominently features a belly dancer moving to a background of fire! I think that that combined with all the typical fantasy stuff on display there added a lot of mystery to the intro.

I think to this day, music from the zone between Europe and China still serves as a generic shorthand for "mysticisim" in Hollywood. The Balinese music you refer to probably has elements common to other cultures that have strong Hindu traditions.

If you want something that I have never heard of any fantasy game using, though, it would be the throat singing of the Inuit up in the northernmost areas of Canada. It is not the same throat singing as the Tibetan temples: the Inuit one is usually a contest between two women making throaty noises at each other in increasing rhythm and sometimes mimickry of animals until one of them laughs. The one that laughs first loses. It got a moment in the limelight recently in the ceremony swearing in Canada's new prime minister.

chazumaru
1602th Post

"Re(7):Not divisible" , posted Wed 18 Nov 06:29:post reply

That's a nice D&D anecdote.

quote:
Vagrant Story had a very South Asian look to the architecture in parts too.

While it's true there are inspirations from those regions, it always felt to me that Vagrant Story was rather taking inspiration from "orientalism" (i.e. the European colonialist inspiration and integration of Eastern cultures into their art and folklore) rather than Eastern cultures themselves. I strongly recommend Edward Said's book on the topic; it's an essential read for the critical understanding of orientalism and the perverse impact of the European colonization on popular culture and myths associated with Eastern cultures.

In terms of architecture, Leamonde was based on Bordeaux and Lyon in France. They even travelled there for research.

So how is Indivisible doing post-extension? Is it on its way to 1.5M after all? It's an interesting case study considering I don't think we have many examples of crowdfunding extensions yet.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 18 Nov 06:32]

Maou
2981th Post

"Re(8):Not divisible" , posted Wed 18 Nov 07:00post reply

quote:
it always felt to me that Vagrant Story was rather taking inspiration from "orientalism" (i.e. the European colonialist inspiration and integration of Eastern cultures into their art and folklore) rather than Eastern cultures themselves.

Said's work was hugely important in the American academy and perhaps some others, though not without detractors. All of which puts the game in an interesting place, since Japan of course was one of the few East Asian countries never dominated or colonized. Vagrant Story as an analogue to hypothetical Japanese-created Japonisme impressionist paintings? Maybe!

$1.02 million for Indivisible!

Iggy
10049th Post

"Re(9):Not divisible" , posted Wed 18 Nov 09:55post reply

This discussion reminds me of a particular moment in Dark Souls (first one, an aesthetic masterpiece amongst its many qualities) were, after having painfully crawled through Gothic European places in varying degree of decay, (then through a horrifying sewer, and then the even more horrifying sewer's sewer, and then a giant spider nest, host of the best moe character of the series), you arrive deep enough to be surrounded by lava. Since it's still less dangerous than the aforementioned sewer, you keep on until you notice some strange ruins on the verge of collapsing in the lava... And I always thought those ruins looked Cambodian, like a strange Angkor Vat full of doomed pyromancers and unspeakable horrors from beyound space.
In any case, the architecture here is strikingly different from anywhere else (if you actually pause to examine it), and it contributes to make the exploration an experience utterly different from anywhere else in the game.
The different architecture also fits perfectly with the scenario of the place and the people you help here (and the burning temple is also entangled in millenium-old roots, a key visual used by the game to underline decay and corruption, which reinforces here the feeling of a temple lost in south-asia jungle)(with lava)(and dinosaur butts).

Dark Souls 1 is an amazing, amazing game.

nobinobita
1506th Post

"Re(8):Not divisible" , posted Wed 18 Nov 12:52:post reply

quote:
That's a nice D&D anecdote.

Vagrant Story had a very South Asian look to the architecture in parts too.

While it's true there are inspirations from those regions, it always felt to me that Vagrant Story was rather taking inspiration from "orientalism" (i.e. the European colonialist inspiration and integration of Eastern cultures into their art and folklore) rather than Eastern cultures themselves. I strongly recommend Edward Said's book on the topic; it's an essential read for the critical understanding of orientalism and the perverse impact of the European colonization on popular culture and myths associated with Eastern cultures.

In terms of architecture, Leamonde was based on Bordeaux and Lyon in France. They even travelled there for research.

So how is Indivisible doing post-extension? Is it on its way to 1.5M after all? It's an interesting case study considering I don't think we have many examples of crowdfunding extensions yet.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. Vagrant Story is clearly very French influenced to. And i think it's great that they actually visited those locations to inform the art direction on the game. I'm pretty sure the references to South East Asian culture were also informed by real experience and not distant orientalism.

The connections to Balinese culture were confirmed for me by an Indonesian friend of mine who is intimately familiar with Bali. I grew up in Thailand which shares a lot of cultural heritage with Balinese and Indonesian culture so it's an aesthetic I'm familiar with too. From my experience people in Asia generally really like how Japanese games reference their cultures. The touches in Vagrant Story and other Squaresoft games are very authentic and considerate.

For instance the Balinese chanting isn't there for a cheap, lazy "othering" effect, that's actually the sound that's used to announce the arrival of a celestial being in the play its from. I think most people who played the game probably just thought it was a really cool digitally altered voice sample.

This is a far cry from say, Jade Empire where they hired a supposed language expert (who of course wasn't actually Chinese) to come up with a made up language that sounds like cat scratch and ching chong sounds. Like, they meant well, but it's just so embarassingly off base.

Or when highly respected comics writer Grant Morisson was tasked to come up with a Chinese Super hero team he created, "Mother of Champions" who can " birth a litter of twenty-five genetically identical supersoldiers about every three days." Like, seriously, WTF??

(by the way the other heroes in that group are almost just as LOLsey)

I only bring those up cos they're actually somewhat lauded in the US, but to me they're hilariously alienating. Whereas there are decades worth of video games that reference a variety of cultures with more grace and authenticity, but they go less noticed because they're not so garish about it.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 18 Nov 13:01]

nobinobita
1507th Post

"Re(10):Not divisible" , posted Wed 18 Nov 12:58:post reply

quote:
This discussion reminds me of a particular moment in Dark Souls (first one, an aesthetic masterpiece amongst its many qualities) were, after having painfully crawled through Gothic European places in varying degree of decay, (then through a horrifying sewer, and then the even more horrifying sewer's sewer, and then a giant spider nest, host of the best moe character of the series), you arrive deep enough to be surrounded by lava. Since it's still less dangerous than the aforementioned sewer, you keep on until you notice some strange ruins on the verge of collapsing in the lava... And I always thought those ruins looked Cambodian, like a strange Angkor Vat full of doomed pyromancers and unspeakable horrors from beyound space.
In any case, the architecture here is strikingly different from anywhere else (if you actually pause to examine it), and it contributes to make the exploration an experience utterly different from anywhere else in the game.
The different architecture also fits perfectly with the scenario of the place and the people you help here (and the burning temple is also entangled in millenium-old roots, a key visual used by the game to underline decay and corruption, which reinforces here the feeling of a temple lost in south-asia jungle)(with lava)(and dinosaur butts).

Dark Souls 1 is an amazing, amazing game.

YEAH THAT PART WAS SO GOOD! The use of dinosaur butts ... ah, it was like a master chef throwing in a seemingly random novelty ingredient that actually elevates the dish even further!

That team is sooooooo good at storytelling through gameplay and level design (instead of dialog and cutscenes)

The combination of dinos and Ancient Cambodian architecture might be a nod to the "Dinosaur of Ta Prohm," an ancient carving that looks a lot like a stegatsauras at first glance.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/dinosaur-angkor-wat

^this must be a really popular attraction for creationists!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 18 Nov 14:36]

nobinobita
1506th Post

"Re(8):Not divisible" , posted Wed 18 Nov 13:09post reply

quote:
vagrant story and eastern stuff

You forgot that the prerendered intro of Vagrant Story prominently features a belly dancer moving to a background of fire! I think that that combined with all the typical fantasy stuff on display there added a lot of mystery to the intro.

I think to this day, music from the zone between Europe and China still serves as a generic shorthand for "mysticisim" in Hollywood. The Balinese music you refer to probably has elements common to other cultures that have strong Hindu traditions.

If you want something that I have never heard of any fantasy game using, though, it would be the throat singing of the Inuit up in the northernmost areas of Canada. It is not the same throat singing as the Tibetan temples: the Inuit one is usually a contest between two women making throaty noises at each other in increasing rhythm and sometimes mimickry of animals until one of them laughs. The one that laughs first loses. It got a moment in the limelight recently in the ceremony swearing in Canada's new prime minister.

That's a good point about the belly dancer! It's right there in the opening!

The Inuit throat singing sounds like a really cool tradition. There was a recent game that actually had the explicit goal of preserving Inuit culture.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/never-alone-video-game-help-preserve-inuit-culture

I haven't played it, but I wonder if the throat singing made its way in there in some form.

Here's a trailer for the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM_80zVzwpI

I really love the idea of using a game to preserve culture, just as books and movies have in the past.

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
3147th Post

"Re(9):Not post-colonial" , posted Thu 19 Nov 06:47post reply

Orientalism in media feeding back into the countries/cultures depicted could serve as entire subject on its own.

It's the case that popular games serve as exemplars for others to follow, but it's always been interesting to me that the most notable Russian games of the past 10 years are incredibly bleak first person games.

It will be interesting if in X years time, we get more game design which is more structurally and mechanically intrinsically reflective of different world views, as opposed to those world views simply affecting content which otherwise wholly follows the pattern of some other well-established game design.

Ishmael
5320th Post

"Re(10):Not post-colonial" , posted Thu 19 Nov 08:42post reply

quote:
Orientalism in media feeding back into the countries/cultures depicted could serve as entire subject on its own.

It also isn't necessarily be a bad thing. Actually, I find that the presentation of a culture by an outside source in a story often tells me more about the views of the place the story originated than about the "foreign" setting. In a way that's exactly the sort of thing Said was arguing against but unlike academia a storyteller doesn't have to discuss culture in neutral terms. Still, I do wonder what Morrison was trippin on when he came up with Mother of Champions. Some of his stories could benefit from having a pharmacology report included as a supplement to the main text.

CHAZumaru
1602th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Not post-colonial" , posted Thu 19 Nov 22:56post reply

We've actually seen that with the first Valkyria Chronicles, which presented a borderline insulting cultural reinterpretation of World War 2 from the point of view of a Japanese uneducatd person pandering to a local otaku audience. It certainly was an interesting contrast with how Matsuno took inspiration from the Balkan War to set up the universe and politics of Tactics Ogre.

S-S-S-S-S-S-EGWAY!

A new Valkyria game exists, and it's a traditional RPG with swords in a fantasy world filled with magic. Huh. That is an unexpected direction for the series. Media Vision is involved, and I am sure Kadokawa is pulling the strings behind the scenes as well.

Même Narumi est épatée !

shindekudasai
427th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Not post-colonial" , posted Thu 19 Nov 23:19post reply

quote:
I do wonder what Morrison was trippin on when he came up with Mother of Champions. Some of his stories could benefit from having a pharmacology report included as a supplement to the main text.

Have an upvote.
...oh, right.

Ishmael
5321th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Not post-colonial" , posted Fri 20 Nov 06:03post reply

quote:
A new Valkyria game exists, and it's a traditional RPG with swords in a fantasy world filled with magic.

The previews of the new Valkyria game are disappointing. The mix of anime types with the bullet riddled hell of war made for a crazy combination.

chazumaru
1605th Post

"Not Indivisible" , posted Sat 21 Nov 06:56post reply

Here is a good look at Not-Not-Divisible, Exist Archive. Before this fake Valkyrie Profile comes out in a few weeks, Spike released a fake Grand Knight History today, called Grand Kingdom, and the early sales for that game seem slow. Hmm.

The demo for Monster Hunter X is pretty fun. Hmm I wasn't planning to buy it but I happen to be in Japan next week... I am apparently the only one who appreciates that the Giant Owl is a complete douchebag with the player. Most people seem especially annoyed at the "inverted controls" gimmick but that's where all those years of getting poisoned in Bomberman finally pay off!

Also La Nouvelle Maison du Style 2 came out in Europe today and it's #LABEST.

Même Narumi est épatée !

nobinobita
1507th Post

"Re(1):Not Indivisible" , posted Sat 21 Nov 19:40post reply

quote:
Most people seem especially annoyed at the "inverted controls" gimmick but that's where all those years of getting poisoned in Bomberman finally pay off!

Haha totally feel you on this. Years of Bomberman and Secret of Mana have made me immune to such confusion spells!

www.art-eater.com

Mosquiton
2094th Post

"Re(2):Not Indivisible" , posted Sun 22 Nov 05:10post reply

quote:
Most people seem especially annoyed at the "inverted controls" gimmick but that's where all those years of getting poisoned in Bomberman finally pay off!

Haha totally feel you on this. Years of Bomberman and Secret of Mana have made me immune to such confusion spells!

This is just a hunch, but I wonder if people who have spent more time with fighting games, say, performing combos from both sides and blocking cross-ups are also better at coping with this sort of switch-up?

As with you guys reversed controls just don't do much to phase me. This is the Cafe, after all.

/ / /

Spoon
3149th Post

"Ocarina of Time hits hard" , posted Sun 22 Nov 16:04post reply

Playing OoT on the n3DS, the return to Kokiri Village after Link becomes big is brutal. Nobody recognizes you (though some say you seem familiar), some of them blame you for the destruction of the Deku Tree, and most of them wonder how a "grown up" could enter the village. You aren't allowed to buy a deku shield because "it's for kids". The slingshot and boomerang which were your staples you can't use anymore because "you're grown up".

When you give Saria a call, she somehow says that she was expecting to hear from you, even though it's literally been years and the town went to hell and she was the only person who believed that you weren't the cause of it all.

The lively Market is now filled with the creepiest thing you've encountered so far in the game, the ReDead. All of the shops and the lively people are gone, and the back alleys which once seemed shady as a kid aren't nearly as shady as the way things are even in the Market square. Just stepping out of the Temple of Time is a huge shock, even though you've been told in words that things have gotten bad after Ganondorf took over.

And then when you reach the Forest Temple, Sheik tells you that the flow of time is cruel, but that a thing that doesn't change with time is a memory of younger days!

Just like nobi's experience with the Mother games and how they seem to take on a very different feel depending on your life experience, OoT sure has that. I'm actually surprised that I found it's pace at the outset almost a touch slow (spoiled by the fast travel, free camera, and high movement speed of, say, MGSV...), which is the opposite of how I remember the experience of the other old Zelda games. Yet somehow, the emotional notes of the game manage to not feel maudlin over a decade later.

Iggy
10055th Post

"Indivisible funded!" , posted Wed 2 Dec 21:05post reply

A victory for everyone with good taste!

And along with that good news comes the most important trailer to explain the scenario of a key character.

chazumaru
1608th Post

"Re(1):Indivisible funded!" , posted Wed 2 Dec 23:15post reply

This is not only great news for everyone involved, and the numerous supporters on the Café, but also a very interesting test case to demonstrate the value of that "time extension" rule for crowdfunding, which I was personally skeptical about.

What the hell is happening to Pop'n Music? Is nothing sacred for Konami anymore?

Même Narumi est épatée !

Maou
2991th Post

"Re(2):Indivisible funded!" , posted Thu 3 Dec 01:56:post reply

Woof. Bark bark. ("Congratulations, Lab Zero!")
quote:
What the hell is happening to Pop'n Music?
Argh! I will be pop'n that moe hell right into the trash can!

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 3 Dec 01:57]

nobinobita
1513th Post

"Re(3):Indivisible funded!" , posted Thu 3 Dec 12:05post reply

quote:
Woof. Bark bark. ("Congratulations, Lab Zero!")
What the hell is happening to Pop'n Music? Argh! I will be pop'n that moe hell right into the trash can!

Pop'n has changed

quote:
A victory for everyone with good taste!

And along with that good news comes the most important trailer to explain the scenario of a key character.

So glad they got funded! It's been really fascinating following the campaign. They've been super open about exactly where all the money is going. It's been very educational!

Also I added some more character breakdowns to that Indivisible article. Every time I think I'm done they ... they keep adding more characters TT____TT lol

www.art-eater.com

Loona
961th Post

"Re(4):Indivisible funded!" , posted Thu 3 Dec 17:47post reply

quote:
So glad they got funded! It's been really fascinating following the campaign. They've been super open about exactly where all the money is going. It's been very educational!

Also I added some more character breakdowns to that Indivisible article. Every time I think I'm done they ... they keep adding more characters TT____TT lol

I hadn't realized you've been updating the article - I noticed you tweeting about it multiple times, but since opening the link every times showed the same beginning I assumed no changes there. Maybe have some anchor links to character-specific section at the top to make it simpler to figure out what's new?

I expected no Portuguese references in Indivisible (I'm used to some international invisibility outside historical references), so seeing Vasco as a possible one is both interesting and strange - the cowboy look overrides everything the name implies when I look at it, but at least it's something.
Alas, the tier to design an incarnation is way beyond my budget, but it would be neat to see the one Portuguese martial art, Jogo do Pau, referenced there, since Indivisible seems to lack a staff user, and maybe a careto look for visual flair, even if that's specific to a small town's traditions. Backing it anyway.

...!!

Iggy
10058th Post

"Re(4):Indivisible funded!" , posted Thu 3 Dec 20:13post reply

quote:

I missed that... Interesting read, thanks!

Can I nitpick a little?

I believe Ajna is the name of the third eye in Hinduism only. I have always been taught in Buddhism, it's called an Urna. [reference needed]

Sinbad is not part of the 1001 nights! Neither is Ali Baba, Aladdin or most "Arabian" stories we know. The collection underwent massive changes when it started being written, and even more once it got translated and "organized" by translators (mostly British) who started mixing it up with other materials from diverse origins and making it longer and longer so that there would actually be 1001 nights. I don't remember if there's a roc in the oldest version known, but I'm sure there aren't 4.
(Well, you could argue back that the 1001 nights as it is most widely known today includes these tales, but then you'd need to consider it a work of Arabo-persic literature heavily doctored by the Brits).

Keep updating!

Ishmael
5328th Post

"Re(5):Indivisible funded!" , posted Fri 4 Dec 00:54post reply

Glad to see Indivisible, a.k.a. Dog's Life 2, has been funded. The scope of the game has almost felt too ambitious to me so I'm glad they will actually be given the chance to try and develop as many of their ideas as they can.

Speaking of slightly off-center games, Bound has been unveiled. I have no idea what is going on but I like the dresses.

nobinobita
1515th Post

"Re(5):Indivisible funded!" , posted Fri 4 Dec 19:08post reply

quote:

Can I nitpick a little?

I believe Ajna is the name of the third eye in Hinduism only. I have always been taught in Buddhism, it's called an Urna. [reference needed]

Sinbad is not part of the 1001 nights! Neither is Ali Baba, Aladdin or most "Arabian" stories we know. The collection underwent massive changes when it started being written, and even more once it got translated and "organized" by translators (mostly British) who started mixing it up with other materials from diverse origins and making it longer and longer so that there would actually be 1001 nights. I don't remember if there's a roc in the oldest version known, but I'm sure there aren't 4.
(Well, you could argue back that the 1001 nights as it is most widely known today includes these tales, but then you'd need to consider it a work of Arabo-persic literature heavily doctored by the Brits).

Keep updating!

Thanks for the corrections Iggy! (and Maese in the comments section too!)
I wrote these in a rush cos I was afraid the game wouldn't get funded. Also I'm currently in Thailand and don't have access to the wonderful San Francisco main public library which is where I used to do all the research for Art-Eater stuff. I had to rely on the internet for info and MAN I GOT SO MUCH WRONG THIS TIME LOL.

So thanks very very much for the corrections!

www.art-eater.com

nobinobita
1516th Post

"Re(1):Ocarina of Time hits hard" , posted Sat 5 Dec 00:51post reply

quote:
Playing OoT on the n3DS, the return to Kokiri Village after Link becomes big is brutal. Nobody recognizes you (though some say you seem familiar), some of them blame you for the destruction of the Deku Tree, and most of them wonder how a "grown up" could enter the village. You aren't allowed to buy a deku shield because "it's for kids". The slingshot and boomerang which were your staples you can't use anymore because "you're grown up".

When you give Saria a call, she somehow says that she was expecting to hear from you, even though it's literally been years and the town went to hell and she was the only person who believed that you weren't the cause of it all.

The lively Market is now filled with the creepiest thing you've encountered so far in the game, the ReDead. All of the shops and the lively people are gone, and the back alleys which once seemed shady as a kid aren't nearly as shady as the way things are even in the Market square. Just stepping out of the Temple of Time is a huge shock, even though you've been told in words that things have gotten bad after Ganondorf took over.

And then when you reach the Forest Temple, Sheik tells you that the flow of time is cruel, but that a thing that doesn't change with time is a memory of younger days!

Just like nobi's experience with the Mother games and how they seem to take on a very different feel depending on your life experience, OoT sure has that. I'm actually surprised that I found it's pace at the outset al

I've never actually really played the N64 Zeldas. I watched my cousin play a bit, but never owned an N64 myself. Thanks for that writeup though. That sounds amazing. That's the kind of storytelling that I think games can be especially great at. Your anecdote has made me want to play OoT more than any Game of the Year/Century/AllTime awards that it's been given.

www.art-eater.com

Professor
4691th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Indivisible funded!" , posted Sun 6 Dec 17:04post reply

Nice additional writeups, Nobi!
It's great that Indivisible's funded. It's a tad sad to see how fast Iga's Bloodstained got funded compared to Labzero's next title. I wonder if Crowdfunding is starting to dip for indies level developers. I recall how Inafune's project leaving a sour taste for funders.

quote:

Can I nitpick a little?

nobinobita
1519th Post

"Re(7):Indivisible funded!" , posted Sun 6 Dec 18:14post reply

quote:
Nice additional writeups, Nobi!
It's great that Indivisible's funded. It's a tad sad to see how fast Iga's Bloodstained got funded compared to Labzero's next title. I wonder if Crowdfunding is starting to dip for indies level developers. I recall how Inafune's project leaving a sour taste for funders.

Can I nitpick a little?

Thanks Professor! I definitely felt burned by Might No 9 and Double Fine's Broken Age debacle.

I honestly didn't think Indivisible would get funded, so I'm really pleasantly surprised that it went through. I think that's a sign that people are more wary now, but not entirely cold on the idea of crowdfunding interesting titles.

It also helps tremendously that Lab Zero has been extremely open and specific with where their money is going. This will be one of the most educational campaigns to follow regarding the logistics of making a "full" robust game with a small team. They seem to be able to put together a realistic budget and actually stick with it (unlike Tim Schafer).

Best of luck to them!

www.art-eater.com

chazumaru
1609th Post

"Darius" , posted Mon 7 Dec 12:31post reply

The always interesting Youtube show STG Weekly was dedicated this weekend to the recent release of Darius Burst CS on Windows/PS4/Vita.

Although technically Taito belongs to Square-Enix, the release of Darius made me think about the state of shooting games and how they could possibly come back to the mainstream. It also made me realize Nintendo (with Star Fox Zero) is the very last of the big 6-10 publishers to actually release a shooting game in 2015 2016.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
3156th Post

"Re(1):Darius" , posted Mon 7 Dec 12:56post reply

quote:
The always interesting Youtube show STG Weekly was dedicated this weekend to the recent release of Darius Burst CS on Windows/PS4/Vita.

I remember hearing about its impending release elsewhere, and the one overwhelming sentiment was "an oldschool STG in 2015... for $60?!?!!"

Iggy
10065th Post

"Re(2):Darius" , posted Tue 8 Dec 02:18post reply

quote:
I remember hearing about its impending release elsewhere, and the one overwhelming sentiment was "an oldschool STG in 2015... for $60?!?!!"

I've been playing on PC, and let me tell you, if you're an old fart that likes this kind of games, it is absolutely worth the price.

I always preferred Darius to everything else (mostly because of the different types of tracking projectiles some bosses could launch at the same time, making a game much more dynamic than the nonsense hurtbox pixel chore of the danmaku formula), and I think it's an amazing game, and also the first schmup created as a consumer experience and not a simple arcade port.

The game has a 2 screen mode (possible to force on 1 screen if you're poor and don't mind playing on 40% of your available surface) along with the regular 16:9, several game modes that will take weeks to finish, great bosses, interesting systems (the burst can be used as a defensive laser as well as a big offense), great bosses variations, old ships with their weapons... The only thing missing would be a boss training mode like G-Darius PS1 had.

I play the game 1 hour at a time in order not to get sick of it too fast. I like it more than G-Darius, which I love more than any other shooter out there.

Maou
2996th Post

"Re(3):Darius" , posted Tue 8 Dec 02:27post reply

quote:
I play the game 1 hour at a time in order not to get sick of it too fast. I like it more than G-Darius, which I love more than any other shooter out there.

Even if Rugal is MIA, nothing feels better than old-school space shooter talk. I dream of the Aleste games getting re-released. Would this be a good place to ask people if they've played Astebreed, which looks preposterously well-made for an indie game?

chazumaru
1614th Post

"Re(3):Darius" , posted Tue 8 Dec 02:40post reply

I admire your enthusiasm and the game seems worthy of praise but I can't say I understand this specific point you made a few times accross the Board(s) already.

quote:
I think it's an amazing game, and also the first schmup created as a consumer experience and not a simple arcade port.

What do you mean?

Darius Burst is in fact a home version of an arcade game, so my take is that you mean the consumer version adds new elements which allow it to transcend the mere reproduction of the arcade experience with free credits.

But, from a design/contents perspective, it's certainly not the only shooting game designed with a consumer/home experience in mind. The Dreamcast version of Mars/Matrix had a fantastic unlocking/shop system tailored for a home version (probably the best implementation I've seen of an arcade experience transformed into a consumer product until Dragon's Crown's farming and levels came around). The home version of Radiant Silvergun had a clever leveling idea as well, and the Shikigami no Shiro series is basically a visual novel with bullets. Other examples abound.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
3159th Post

"Re(4):Darius" , posted Tue 8 Dec 03:44post reply

quote:
I admire your enthusiasm and the game seems worthy of praise but I can't say I understand this specific point you made a few times accross the Board(s) already.

I think it's an amazing game, and also the first schmup created as a consumer experience and not a simple arcade port.

What do you mean?

Darius Burst is in fact a home version of an arcade game, so my take is that you mean the consumer version adds new elements which allow it to transcend the mere reproduction of the arcade experience with free credits.

But, from a design/contents perspective, it's certainly not the only shooting game designed with a consumer/home experience in mind. The Dreamcast version of Mars/Matrix had a fantastic unlocking/shop system tailored for a home version (probably the best implementation I've seen of an arcade experience transformed into a consumer product until Dragon's Crown's farming and levels came around). The home version of Radiant Silvergun had a clever leveling idea as well, and the Shikigami no Shiro series is basically a visual novel with bullets. Other examples abound.

There is a Darius Burst cabinet within visiting distance of me, and I've played it a few times with some friends. The things that most impressed me about it were that it was a 4-player game and that exxxxxxxxxxxxtra long screen (with the sit-down, enclosed cabinet)! But I didn't find the graphics (from a technical perspective) or designs enthralling, nor did I find the mechanics to immediately offer something super new/amazing. But maybe I'm missing something! Please enlighten me.

neo0r0chiaku
95th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Darius" , posted Tue 8 Dec 04:22:post reply

quote:

Although technically Taito belongs to Square-Enix, the release of Darius made me think about the state of shooting games and how they could possibly come back to the mainstream. It also made me realize Nintendo (with Star Fox Zero) is the very last of the big 6-10 publishers to actually release a shooting game in 2015 2016.

This is great news for an old school gamer like me! Thanks!

Long Live!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Tue 8 Dec 04:23]

Mosquiton
2102th Post

"consumer/home experience" , posted Tue 8 Dec 05:51post reply

quote:

But, from a design/contents perspective, it's certainly not the only shooting game designed with a consumer/home experience in mind. The Dreamcast version of Mars/Matrix had a fantastic unlocking/shop system tailored for a home version (probably the best implementation I've seen of an arcade experience transformed into a consumer product until Dragon's Crown's farming and levels came around).

I have been telling people this for years (and encouraging indies to play Mars Matrix and adopt a similar unlock system for their shmups).

If a game simply rewards you with infinite credits, you can clear the game through brute force. It's like skimming through a novel without actually reading all the words, never stopping to think about the deeper meaning.

I feel like nowadays the default answer to the question "How do we create a satisfying sense of progress and encourage mastery of game mechanics in a primarily skill-driven game" is simply "add leveling and loot," or more specifically, "make it a Metroidvania".

Not that these aren't valid approaches, but simply adding stats and an interconnected world isn't going to guarantee you end up with a sublime experience on par with Dark Souls (even Dragon's Crown felt too unpleasantly grindy for me; I beat the dragon once but didn't get to see the "true" ending).

If there's one game I'd have liked to see think more about this problem, it's Shinji Mikami's Vanquish. Surely there was some way to better encourage people who played the game to recognize the brilliance of the actual gameplay. Instead, the shitty story (co-starring evil Hillary Clinton) and a frankly broken power-up system is the only thing that strings the experience together. Instead it's a "bring your own motivation" situation that leaves most people saying "That game was kind of neat, I guess, but it was only like three hours long!"

/ / /

Spoon
3160th Post

"Boogie Wings is ASTONISHING" , posted Tue 8 Dec 06:15post reply

I played a STG I had never played before today, and it is Boogie Wings. It is ASTONISHING. It is amazing in a good way on every level. If your plane is shot down your character hops out and proceeds to play a scrolling Contra except he can jump into other vehicles/ride animals which can be picked up by the hook of the second player which has crude physics on it did I mention this kind of crazy concatenation is occurring in a game from 1992!!!!!!??!?!?!?!?!

It is aesthetically grand. You can ride a pogo stick, a giant robot, an elephant. The different rides all have different handling and gimmicks.

Progear's Jules Verne might be executed more beautifully and with better technology, but Boogie Wings is so amazingly forward thinking I just can't even. Detroit Rock City is the name of one of the stages. One of the stages features a lineup of new rides literally one after another for you to go "NO WAY WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?" with. Your default item on the skyhook is a giant spiked ball you can swing into enemies planes or drop as a bomb. What even is this game.

The tutorial has 1P ride an elephant and 2P skyhook the elephant.

RIP Data East, you made a precursor to Just Cause, 23 years ago.

Iggy
10067th Post

"Re(4):Darius" , posted Wed 9 Dec 03:05post reply

quote:
But, from a design/contents perspective, it's certainly not the only shooting game designed with a consumer/home experience in mind. The Dreamcast version of Mars/Matrix had a fantastic unlocking/shop system tailored for a home version (probably the best implementation I've seen of an arcade experience transformed into a consumer product until Dragon's Crown's farming and levels came around). The home version of Radiant Silvergun had a clever leveling idea as well, and the Shikigami no Shiro series is basically a visual novel with bullets.

Yeah, sorry, I should have explained more. Most shooters are happy with simply offering two ways of enjoying them: "finish the game" and then" finish the game with the highest score possible". Cave games also have "the same but with different enemy placement". All that is fine, but I feel it's selling itself short in most cases.

I would discard Shikigami no Shiro, since the VN part (I assume you mean the VN spinof, since the main games just have dialogues added) is just a different type of game/entertainment mixed with the shooter. Instead of shooting bullets between sequences, you could have done combos or played mahjong without much consequence.

I don't really remember much of Mars/Matrix to be honest. You earned moneys that you could use to buy / unlock stuff like stage select, power-ups, lifes, art gallery and the like, right? So it was just grinding to get stuff that would be unlocked from the start in other games, effectively forcing you to earn it instead of giving it all for free? I wouldn't call grinding more than a trick to force to play the game longer.

The modes of Darius rearrange the game in short sequences (it is, after all, a PSP game originally) with arbitrary requirements (specific ships, specific power-ups), which unlock more sequences, and so on. [Ah, yeah: so, it's not a pretty game by 2015 standards, because it's a PSP game at higher resolution. I can see it being a deterrent to some contemporary/young people]
That was ported and widely expanded in the arcade version, with up to 3000 sequences to unlock, and the progression was saved on the machine (so all the players were cooperating to unlock everything). The subsequent PC port has that cooperative unlock via online (you chose which virtual arcade machine you're playing at), and the offline mode has a specific chronicle mode to play alone.

What I was referring to with my previous comment is that the mode allows you to play the game under specific conditions, in short bursts to make it more palatable and varied (for example, a sequence will be world 2, boss 4, world 3, another sequence would be boss 1 in easy, boss 5, boss 3 in hard...) and the only gratification you get for playing the game is more game to play. Obviously, someone lukewarm about the game is going to be fed up pretty quickly; on the other hand, it gives more ways of enjoying the game without getting bored to the players who like it to begin with.
In other words, the VN fo Shikigami no Shiro makes you forget about the shooting, it doesn't detract from it but it doesn't add anything either, both angles are oblivious to each other. Darius Burst is confident enough with itself to think it doesn't need more than what it is to be interesting, it just need a different package.

I think allowing players more ways to enjoy the same game is paramount for consumer versions of arcade games. Darius has always been high on replayability even in the arcades, by offering more stages arranged in a short branching path (so offering a shorter experience, but an experience varied enough to have you coming back). Games build for consoles from the ground up, but with an arcade game framework, have the same issue: for example, Guardian Heroes takes the Final Fight basis, but with level up, branching path, character unlocks in the arena, etc. Dragon's Crown also has level ups, and adds Diablo-like drops and a randomized endless dungeon. On the other hand, Final Fight 2 or Street of Rage merely had "the arcade experience" without many ways to enjoy them once you've beaten them.

I think fighting games suffer from the same issue, incidentally. Fortunately, fighting games have versus modes, and then online, which allow for a specific kind of replayability (endless as long as players at your level remain available). Single player modes remain a headache, as Capcom knows too well.
Blazblue and Mortal Kombat decided to go with a rich scenario mode that would keep the player busy not playing the game for a couple of hours (that's the Shikigami way). Some old games had totally different games slapped on, like the shooter in Tatsunoko vs Capcom, the Hanafuda in Last Blade 2 or the weird Tetris in KOF 2001. Again, no real point in having that in a fighting game.
Capcom's recent games merely have a combo practice mode, which is unfortunately a very artificial mode that feels detached from the main mode (it reduces fighting game to one specific aspect, which most of the time doesn't even teach things that are applicable in-game). GGXrd at least mixed that with a vast tutorial mode, uninteresting but highly informative.
The reason why people remember SFZero3's world tour mode so fondly is because it's almost similar to the Darius Burst mode: it's a mode where you only play the game with minor rule changes (and it is a good and enjoyable game so playing it is fun), but arranged in a new way, for the length of time that suits you. Your character levels up (and you also can unlock stuff or level up in the chronicle mode of Darius Burst now I think of it) but the main hook is that the game remains the same, and if you enjoy it, that is a good thing.

I spent far too long explaining a thing that is very simple and probably dumb, so I think I'll stop here.

Spoon
3162th Post

"Re(5):Darius" , posted Wed 9 Dec 04:34post reply

Interesting, it suggests something like a grander NES Remix, except completely about just one game.

I think that making game modes tailored to the particular playing environment around the game really is quite important. Think about Hudson Soft's "caravan mode" for their Star Soldier games, which was a sort of fully-enshrined game mode around the demo kiosk. Rather than just unceremoniously resetting the machine automatically every X minutes, it ends the game gracefully and records a high score. I always think about the incredible replay value that the lightyears-ahead fighting game One Must Fall 2097 had in its Tournament Mode, which was basically SFA3's World Tour mode. Having a stat profile for the pilot and the pilot's robot, as well as "secret" tournament challengers and unlockable upgrades through beating/fatality'ing them was incredible!

As for PSP graphics, I think 3D games older than that can still look quite good! R-Type Delta and Einhander still look good.

Mosquiton
2107th Post

"Re(5):Darius" , posted Wed 9 Dec 07:39:post reply

quote:
I spent far too long explaining a thing that is very simple and probably dumb, so I think I'll stop here.

Well, I'm glad you explained it because I am now more interested in the new Darius. This system sounds really appealing.

Chaz will still have to answer for riling you up like this, but I'll offer my brief take on why Mars Matrix's basic unlock system works so well. The shop system is pretty basic, but as soon as you realize it's there you have a path toward getting better at and eventually mastering the game.

IIRC, you start off with only a few lives and no continues, so at first you simply try to get as far as you can under these limits. Even a novice player can probably beat stage 1, but the difficult curve gradually increases from then on.

Using the currency you earn from your high score, you can buy extra continues and more lives to use with each continue. This lets you get farther, score higher, and earn even more currency, which in turn gives you more lives and more continues, continually bringing you closer to clearing the game for the first time.

As you play to earn more currency, you can't help but build up your skill. Because you want a higher score, you're encouraged to exploit the scoring system of just playing to survive. As it happens, the most skillful and coolest way to play is also the most profitable. You'll score highest when you make each life last as long as you can. Ideally, you'll make a perfect run through each stage, skillfully piloting your ship to chain the gold cubes dropped by every enemy in order to level up your firepower and kill the boss with as much time left on the clock as possible to ensure a massive bonus (which feels great, btw).

Encouraged by your steady progress, you'll eventually find yourself possessing the right combination of skill and in-game resources (lives and continues) to finish the game. Even if the final stage costs you dearly, chewing through your lives and credits, you can bask in the glory that even if you haven't mastered the game yet, you've actually earned the victory.

If you still want to get better at the game, you can continue honing your skills to focus on unlocking the various high-priced extras for the sake of pride and completion.

The shop system is is really just one more layer on top of an extremely well-thought-out game system, and the unlocks should probably be automatic and in a set order, but it does work really well. So many games don't reward you in such a way that you're encouraged to play the game the way they intended. (See every Platinum game ever.) Maybe I'll ramble about that topic again some other time.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Wed 9 Dec 08:26]

IkariDC
797th Post

PSN: Ikari_DC
XBL: IkariDC
Wii: Toolazytolookitup

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):Darius" , posted Thu 10 Dec 19:13post reply

I also didn't know Darius Burst worked like that! I played the arcade game and I liked it, might as well pick it up someday.

Thx for the explanation Iggy. I just have to add that Streets of Rage did have the "You became the bad guy!" ending by chosing not to side with Mr. X and defeating your partner in "crime" who did side with him, so it was quite replayable if you had someone to play it with. I found that ending amazing at the time!

Iggy
10071th Post

"Flappy fishes" , posted Fri 11 Dec 03:55post reply

And since we're talking about awesome fishes and animals in general: Aviary Attorney finally releases next week!!!

I hope they don't correct the spelling mistakes in French, they look too lovely.

jUAN
4590th Post

"Re(1): Les Xenochiens Terribles X" , posted Sat 12 Dec 04:34post reply

Xenoblade Chronicles X is scratching the itch of exploring horrible places at low levels quite well. I normally have to play weird Euro rpgs like Gothic and Risen for that.

Thankfully characters dont get summoned as often as in Dragon's Dogma. Otherwise someone would summon my level 30 character that has no SKELLeton DOLL robot license.

Elma is cool. Do your best, Elma

Iggy
10074th Post

"Re(2): Les Xenochiens Terribles X" , posted Sat 12 Dec 08:55post reply

Elma is the least dumb character of the whole game, but she's still pretty dumb. I allow her to be in the next Smash or PxZ or #Ibunroku or Paper Mario or whatever.

Walking and jumping and exploring and running and dying in the wilderness was fantastic. Everything else was awful. But the wilderness really was amazing.

There's too many characters in the damn game and all of them are retarded, but you need to pretend you're their friends if you want to complete the map, so I never used the pawn thing. Is it any useful at any point?

Spoon
3170th Post

"Romance of Three Kingdoms Maker" , posted Sat 12 Dec 11:51post reply

This is now available on Steam and I never knew that there existed a target audience for it large enough to merit its existence.

Toxico
5991th Post

"Iron Geta 7" , posted Sat 12 Dec 17:27:post reply

Trailer on the tekken tournament; Tekken 7's upgrade is labeled as "Fated Retribution" and it's poster boy it's Gouki (zzzz), who Kazumi is asking to get rid of Heihachi and Kazuya if she can't or something.

edit : trailer.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sat 12 Dec 17:37]

Doshin
78th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Iron Geta 7" , posted Sat 12 Dec 17:41post reply

quote:
Trailer on the tekken tournament; Tekken 7's upgrade is labeled as "Fated Retribution" and it's poster boy it's Gouki (zzzz), who Kazumi is asking to get rid of Heihachi and Kazuya if she can't or something.

...Oh. Guess it's this thread, now.

Gojira
3159th Post

"Re(2):Iron Geta 7" , posted Sat 12 Dec 18:05:post reply

This isn't the fighter thread, bit it's titled appropriately enough to fit.

I was surprised and not surprised. Not surprised because as soon as I saw the rage arts in T7 the first thing that I thought was that there would be SF characters appearing eventually. They still managed to surprise me with the fact that it's literally Gouki in the original T7 trailer, though.

In terms of real life, it all fits oddly together. It always struck me as odd that Tekken Project would stretch itself thin over two different releases, and Harada had been showing those SF models back before the FGC destroyed the legend of SFxT. It was weird that he introduced T7 at the Evo finals to USF4 the same year that Namco-Bandai went out of their way to pay for a TTT2 final to be included. If you're going to show a new Tekken, why not show it to the Tekken fans? Now it all makes sense. He was showing that trailer with Gouki all along to a bunch of SF fans and nobody even suspected it.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 12 Dec 18:14]

Loona
965th Post

"Re(1):Iron Geta 7" , posted Mon 14 Dec 19:25post reply

quote:

I can't wait to see how this plays out in Project X Zone 3.

...!!

jUAN
4591th Post

"Re(3): Les Xenochiens Terribles X" , posted Tue 15 Dec 01:15post reply

quote:
Elma is the least dumb character of the whole game, but she's still pretty dumb. I allow her to be in the next Smash or PxZ or #Ibunroku or Paper Mario or whatever.

Walking and jumping and exploring and running and dying in the wilderness was fantastic. Everything else was awful. But the wilderness really was amazing.

There's too many characters in the damn game and all of them are retarded, but you need to pretend you're their friends if you want to complete the map, so I never used the pawn thing. Is it any useful at any point?

After playing a bit more, the main purpose of summoning other players is to get tickets and medals that you can trade for materials. The owner of the pawn gets similar rewards i think.

So for example, you have a quest or schematic that requires ten (ultra rare!) alien bear butts. Instead of spending hours cutting bear butts, you could go to the computer and buy the butts with tickets.

It is useful, but kind of lame. Nothing beats taking someone's pawn in Dragon's Dogma and sending them back with high level gear, a ton of random goodies, and a thousand yard stare from dark arisen's wild ride.

nobinobita
1527th Post

"Re(4): Les Xenochiens Terribles X" , posted Tue 15 Dec 03:19post reply

quote:

It is useful, but kind of lame. Nothing beats taking someone's pawn in Dragon's Dogma and sending them back with high level gear, a ton of random goodies, and a thousand yard stare from dark arisen's wild ride.

Every single game should copy DD's pawn system. It's ingenious and fits into the modern lifestyle of having your friends spread out across the country/world. The pawns are such GREAT proxies for them!

Also re: Xenoblade. Just as I was lamenting how unbearable the characters and dialog are, they introduce the concept of the "mims." That was pretty neat and unexpected!

www.art-eater.com

Iggy
10077th Post

"Re(4): Les Xenochiens Terribles X" , posted Tue 15 Dec 04:46post reply

quote:
After playing a bit more, the main purpose of summoning other players is to get tickets and medals that you can trade for materials. The owner of the pawn gets similar rewards i think.
Wait, do you need to talk to them to get the tickets? I thought you got them by doing the instantiated missions that appear on your server at the bottom right of the screen? Like, killing 4 of this monster and finding 8 of that item, but you don't really know what they are so you keep on playing and exploring until you notice one of the numbers going down after you did something, so you try to repeat it until the number reaches 0?
At least that's what I did, I never bothered to understand the whole online component of the game because urrrrghhhhhh.

Mosquiton
2108th Post

"Re(5): Les Xenochiens Terribles X" , posted Tue 15 Dec 05:14:post reply

quote:

Every single game should copy DD's pawn system. It's ingenious and fits into the modern lifestyle of having your friends spread out across the country/world. The pawns are such GREAT proxies for them!

Also re: Xenoblade. Just as I was lamenting how unbearable the characters and dialog are, they introduce the concept of the "mims." That was pretty neat and unexpected!

I also think the Pawn system is a great idea that should be studied and emulated. Sadly I feel like the inclination system, which can naturally lead to weird/undesirable behaviors which spread to other pawns online by association (i.e., the somewhat flawed Guardian disposition), and the tendency of pawns to speak too frequently are two big issues that tarnished the reputation of an otherwise extremely well-designed system.

This lead to a lot of people carelessly slinging around ideas like "Pawns are dumb and talk too much." This, along with DD's difficulty achieving real mainstream appeal, I feel like it's kept other (especially Western) designers from examining it and learning lessons like many did with the Souls series.

The whole BBS RPG concept is pretty great. Still really hopping for a proper Dragon's Dogma sequel someday.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Tue 15 Dec 05:17]

Spoon
3177th Post

"Re(6): Les Enfants Terribles 4" , posted Wed 16 Dec 15:17post reply

Kojima announces he's made a new studio and is partnering with Sony.

The brief image of the Kojima Production studio logo seems to contain some vaguely MGS referential imagery. The profile image of the skull like the MSF logo, the patch covering it looks like a Solid Eye, the armored collar... anyway, given the push for VR gaming, I have to wonder if he won't try to get the band back together and make Stealth Mountain.

nobinobita
1529th Post

"Re(7): Les Enfants Terribles 4" , posted Wed 16 Dec 16:27post reply

quote:
Kojima announces he's made a new studio and is partnering with Sony.

The brief image of the Kojima Production studio logo seems to contain some vaguely MGS referential imagery. The profile image of the skull like the MSF logo, the patch covering it looks like a Solid Eye, the armored collar... anyway, given the push for VR gaming, I have to wonder if he won't try to get the band back together and make Stealth Mountain.

That image is SO AWESOME.

It pretty much confirms that Shinkawa is on board, as expected. It's another excellent entry in a long line of awesome skull logos he's done for Kojima Productions.

I hope it gives a clue into their next game. Would be so awesome if they made a game about being an undead armored cyborg knight.

They just put up a new website for Kojima Productions.

http://www.kojimaproductions.jp/

If you scroll down he has a nice message about the importance of play in culture. He is channeling ideas from the classic book "Homo Ludens" which talks about the importance of "play" and how it predates civilization and the concept of cultures.

They are currently hiring for among other things a weapons and mechanical designer, so you can be sure their next game will be action packed.

I can't wait to see what Punished "Beard" Kojima and crew come up with! I wish them the best of luck!

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
3178th Post

"Re(8): Les Enfants Terribles 4" , posted Wed 16 Dec 17:25post reply

quote:

If you scroll down he has a nice message about the importance of play in culture. He is channeling ideas from the classic book "Homo Ludens" which talks about the importance of "play" and how it predates civilization and the concept of cultures.

In typical Kojima fashion, he's also gone and quoted the phrase Homo faber. Putting the two together is a nice way to look at making good games, as it's a lot of hard work to create a high-quality item of play. It's been a long time since I've looked at Homo ludens, though, so I wonder if "channeling" is a bit of a charitable appraisal of what he's said. He's probably gone and yoinked phrases verbatim from it haha

I wonder if the notes about inexperienced applicants for some of the positions are just there to be polite, or if they really mean it. I do think that Kojima knows the value of taking on talent that hasn't had a lot of industry experience, though.

nobinobita
1530th Post

"Re(9): Les Enfants Terribles 4" , posted Wed 16 Dec 17:40post reply

quote:

In typical Kojima fashion, he's also gone and quoted the phrase Homo faber. Putting the two together is a nice way to look at making good games, as it's a lot of hard work to create a high-quality item of play. It's been a long time since I've looked at Homo ludens, though, so I wonder if "channeling" is a bit of a charitable appraisal of what he's said. He's probably gone and yoinked phrases verbatim from it haha

Well said Spoon! Haha I haven't read either book, but I know Homo Ludens is very influential on all those game design books out there now. Do you recommend it? (or any other game design books?)

quote:
I wonder if the notes about inexperienced applicants for some of the positions are just there to be polite, or if they really mean it. I do think that Kojima knows the value of taking on talent that hasn't had a lot of industry experience, though.

I know a lot of people who will be applying just for the hell of it. Not expecting to get in, but man, you just gotta go for it sometimes.

I imagine if they find someone with prodigious talent and no experience, they'll probably hire them.

It's pretty awesome that Kojima's life is mirroring that of Big Boss.

It would be really funny if he just made a Metal Gear clone that functions as the actual intended (never completed) final act of Phantom Pain. He could even get David Hayter to play the main character!

www.art-eater.com

Iggy
10080th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P - IGGY ARI !

"Re(10): Les Enfants Terribles 4" , posted Wed 16 Dec 23:40post reply

Well, that was an unexpected sure thing.
Or an expected surprised?

Regardless, yeay Kojima!

jUAN
4593th Post

"Re(5): Les Xenochiens Terribles X" , posted Thu 17 Dec 01:45:post reply

quote:
Wait, do you need to talk to them to get the tickets? I thought you got them by doing the instantiated missions that appear on your server at the bottom right of the screen? Like, killing 4 of this monster and finding 8 of that item, but you don't really know what they are so you keep on playing and exploring until you notice one of the numbers going down after you did something, so you try to repeat it until the number reaches 0?
At least that's what I did, I never bothered to understand the whole online component of the game because urrrrghhhhhh.

The stuff at the bottom right that tells you to kill/gather mystery stuff will give you tickets for sure. But! you can also hire your friends or internet jerks as party members. They give you tickets after they leave your party. You can see them hanging out outside the barracks spouting catch phrases. just talk to them.

Internet jerks can be found in the board to the right to the quest board. Like in Dragon's Dogma, rates go up depending on level difference.

The actual console to buy materials with tickets is inside the barracks. it is the room with random internet jerks you can talk to or hire.

Honestly the online component is not that important. The ticket stuff mainly comes in if you want to build better robots to punch giant monsters in the face after you beat the game. It is good that it exists though.

EDIT: who gave this thing a hot dog? Why is it hiding in a corner? How do you make a hot dog is there are no more pigs or cows?

[this message was edited by jUAN on Thu 17 Dec 01:51]

Maou
3011th Post

"Re(6): Les Xenochiens Terribles X" , posted Thu 17 Dec 01:58:post reply

quote:
you can also hire your friends or internet jerks

hanging out outside the barracks spouting catch phrases
My god, it's a job that's made for me! Wii U better hurry up and expire so I can buy a new system and join Xenochiens ASAP.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 17 Dec 02:02]

Gojira
3159th Post

"Sengoku Basara Yukimura Edition" , posted Thu 17 Dec 14:52post reply

"Fuck it, let's just make it all about Yukimura" -Capcom Japan

Comes complete with color-free Masamune

Maese
790th Post

"Re(1):Sengoku Basara Yukimura Edition" , posted Thu 17 Dec 18:43post reply

quote:

Woah, those are some news! I guess it makes sense to make Yukimura the posterboy for this new Basara. If I remember correctly, the Taiga Dorama next year (or was it 2017?) is gonna be about Yukimura and the Osaka siege, so it's a most perfect timing.

neo0r0chiaku
97th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Sengoku Basara Yukimura Edition" , posted Fri 18 Dec 01:32post reply

quote:

Woah, those are some news! I guess it makes sense to make Yukimura the posterboy for this new Basara. If I remember correctly, the Taiga Dorama next year (or was it 2017?) is gonna be about Yukimura and the Osaka siege, so it's a most perfect timing.

Did anyone play the 2-d fighter they made called Sengoku Basara X? I guess it did not turn out well with no sequels or what not. I always wanted to play that and the Hokuto no Ken 2-d fighter.

Long Live!

Ishmael
5349th Post

"Re(3):Sengoku Basara Yukimura Edition" , posted Fri 18 Dec 03:49post reply

Yukimura is still in the Basara series? As much as that guy has been sidelined in the past few entries I didn't expect for him to receive a starring role. This is an interesting approach for a new game but how are they going to make a full game out of one character scenario?

quote:
Did anyone play the 2-d fighter they made called Sengoku Basara X? I guess it did not turn out well with no sequels or what not. I always wanted to play that and the Hokuto no Ken 2-d fighter.

You can lead a full, productive life without ever bothering with either of those games. From the weightless, poorly animated characters to combos that could juggle you to the top of the screen, these games are examples of every bad habit ArcSys has without any of the redeeming features. As far as I can tell the games only exist so this match could take place.

Iggy
10081th Post

"Re(4):Sengoku Basara Yukimura Edition" , posted Sat 19 Dec 00:02post reply

quote:
Yukimura is still in the Basara series? As much as that guy has been sidelined in the past few entries I didn't expect for him to receive a starring role. This is an interesting approach for a new game but how are they going to make a full game out of one character scenario?

You're thinking of Keiji, a.k.a. "who?", a.k.a. "yeah, remember, he was the hero of the second game!", a.k.a. "no, really, who?".
Yukimura has suffered from Masamune's ever-expending harem of husbandos, but he's still there among the main popular characters.
I am not trying to explain why he is, I'll just say that, well, he is popular.

Yukimura is also a good choice to focus a game on, as he is, until now, a fusion of 3 generations of Sanada. If the game introduces the family members with whom he had been fusionned, it would be a way to "clean up" the character and give him a more focused role. But that would also mean Basara wants to clean up its world and characters, which might not be a bad idea, but isn't without risks.
Between that, the failure of Basara 4 and the new TV series next year, it's an interesting idea to try to salvage the franchise. We'll see how it will develop.

I have absolutely no idea about why the game is not on Vita, though.

quote:
You can lead a full, productive life without ever bothering with either of those games. From the weightless, poorly animated characters to combos that could juggle you to the top of the screen, these games are examples of every bad habit ArcSys has without any of the redeeming features.

Sengoku Basara X is one of the most hilariously bad fighting games made in the 2000s, and has developed a small but dedicated community (amongst the Hokuto no Ken/Post-apocalyptic Basketball players) who play the game ironically. Not so surprisingly, these skills to play bullshit broken games translated well into MvC3.

Spoon
3182th Post

"Re(4): The Time of Retribution Edition" , posted Sat 19 Dec 15:45:post reply

quote:

You can lead a full, productive life without ever bothering with either of those games. From the weightless, poorly animated characters to combos that could juggle you to the top of the screen, these games are examples of every bad habit ArcSys has without any of the redeeming features. As far as I can tell the games only exist so this match could take place.

Basara X is quite skippable, but the HnK fighting game is like the very best budget licensed game. That sounds like faint praise, but it's true!

So you'll see obvious cheapness like the stiff animation, reused animation (Kenshiro's forward and backward walks, for instance, are identical), lack of animation, questionable game balance, and a small playable cast.

NONE OF THAT MATTERS.

The backgrounds are awesome. The music is awesome. The fight intro graphics are some of the best ever. The Seven Star Fatal KO system and the Boost system and Banishing Strike are AWESOME.

You might ask "what is so awesome about Boost"?
Boost is YRC INVERTED. Boost is that weird automatic turbospeed forward movement of Custom Combo in SFA2. What do I mean when I say Boost is YRC inverted? YRC in Xrd is about slowing down the action and the opponent to give you more to read the situation and your character more time to close the distance or land an attack. Boost is about speeding up the action (it kills hitstop frames, it zooms you forward, and it can cancel your current animation whether or not it hit anything) so that your attack becomes harder to read/react to and speeding yourself up so that you can catch up to your opponent.

HnK is the game where manually dribbling your opponent for 100+ punches happens as a matter of course. HnK is a game where Mamiya can summon a motorcycle and skip across the water from the dam Amiba's underling just blew. HnK is the game where projectile supers have a hitbox that extends ABOVE AND BEHIND the characters. HnK is the game where instant kill attacks can be comboed into, and where instant kill attacks can clash with each other. HnK is a game that seems mediocre until you discover it is stupid and broken, and then it is so broken that it goes all the way around back to being almost balanced and super awesome.

HnK, in a moment of total understanding of the source material and how dream matches work, introduces each round with the words "DECIDE THE DESTINY". If Maou goes nuts about sparsely written copy, this is me going nuts about something similar. See, a pervasive theme that everybody in HnK harps on is about destiny: the destiny of those born under the various stars, the destiny of violence, the destiny of conflict, the destiny of everything. They can't escape their destiny. But many of them heroically fulfill these destinies on terms that they can be at peace with, though they struggle mightily till the last moment. "DECIDE THE DESTINY" implores you to take control of the events that will proceed, and how they will go against the destiny that was written for these characters. DECIDE THE DESTINY has a pleasant alliteration that rolls off your tongue. DECIDE THE DESTINY is where Jagi will finally defeat Kenshiro and be acknowledged as one of the Hokuto brothers.

Speaking of Jagi, in the PS2 console port of the game, there's this silly single player mode where you are pitted against the CPU and have tasks to recreate moments from the show. In the Kenshiro vs. Jagi challenge, almost every single thing you can do to each other fulfills a challenge. It's hilarious.

Now, quite frankly, Raoh does a somewhat poor job of representing himself. He occasionally flurries a guy to death, like he did when he fought Fuudo the Mountain. But in this game, he's not about enormous singular strikes and gaining figurative size proportional with how hard he's crushing somebody. Instead, he winds up jabbing his opponent in the crotch like 100+ times. However, at least the people making the game were clever enough to not give Raoh a backdash. You might wonder why that is at all significant. The reason is again, Fuudo the Mountain: Raoh claims that he does not step back from his opponent, but Fuudo the Mountain was the first one to make him fearful enough to take a single step backwards. Raoh in this HnK game does no backdash, and instead just dodges by tilting his torso. That's 100% appropriate to Raoh. Toki, on the other hand, flows around his opponent in a near unstoppable, seemingly endless flow. Toki is as powerful as he was always hinted at being in HnK.

And while the Kenshiro vs. Rei match is legendary, one of my most favourite moments, and one which never ceases to delight me, is this one. The trick executed was sublime.

MARVELOUS DEADLY FIST BLOW KO

[this message was edited by Spoon on Sat 19 Dec 15:46]

nobinobita
1535th Post

"Re(5): The Time of Retribution Edition" , posted Thu 24 Dec 14:12post reply

quote:

Basara X is quite skippable, but the HnK fighting game is like the very best budget licensed game. That sounds like faint praise, but it's true!

So you'll see obvious cheapness like the stiff animation, reused animation (Kenshiro's forward and backward walks, for instance, are identical), lack of animation, questionable game balance, and a small playable cast.

NONE OF THAT MATTERS.

The backgrounds are awesome. The music is awesome. The fight intro graphics are some of the best ever. The Seven Star Fatal KO system and the Boost system and Banishing Strike are AWESOME.

You might ask "what is so awesome about Boost"?
Boost is YRC INVERTED. Boost is that weird automatic turbospeed forward movement of Custom Combo in SFA2. What do I mean when I say Boost is YRC inverted? YRC in Xrd is about slowing down the action and the opponent to give you more to read the situation and your character more time to close the distance or land an attack. Boost is about speeding up the action (it kills hitstop frames, it zooms you forward, and it can cancel your cur

Thank you so much for that perfect summary of the appeal of HnK. The Fighting Game club that I belonged to in college played it quite a bit. I never actually got good at the game, but man was it fun!

www.art-eater.com

jUAN
4593th Post

"Re(1):Random games: Crossover zone" , posted Fri 8 Jan 04:42post reply

I like pinball but i will never be good at it.

You are supposed to shake/tilt the machine, but i dont like that. Feels like im going to break it. I even feel guilty shaking the machine in video game pinball

That is crazy and you are crazy

Ishmael
5360th Post

"Re(2):Random games: Crossover zone" , posted Sat 9 Jan 06:31post reply

quote:
I like pinball but i will never be good at it.

You are supposed to shake/tilt the machine, but i dont like that. Feels like im going to break it. I even feel guilty shaking the machine in video game pinball

That is crazy and you are crazy

Pinball is a fascinating game in that physically beating on the machine is an accepted, but not necessarily legal, part of gameplay. While you might be able to get the ball to go your way from slamming or physically rocking the machine as if it were a giant particle board newborn you are just as likely to tilt or even fully reset. Not only is your score but your money is on the line. That, and you could annoy the arcade owner. This is far from the "physical" activities of pushing buttons on a plastic guitar or blowing into the slot of a cartridge. Pinball is only for the hot-blooded gamer.

Iggy
10108th Post

"Taito's shooting history in Darius" , posted Wed 13 Jan 06:28:post reply

The first DLC for Darius Burst has been announced, and it is turning the game into Smash Schmup.
http://darius.jp/dbcs/
The Japanese page talks of "the first batch of DLC". Comment from the publisher in the west:
quote:
we'll be releasing new content packs based on the classic Taito games/series RayForce, Metal Black, and Night Striker. Each pack contains a new ship, new levels, and new music from those games in a kind of mini-DLC campaign. The DLC campaigns play similarly to the existing CS Mode in 16:9 aspect ratio, but my understanding is that the DLC ships will be restricted to the DLC campaigns only (however, you are able to play any of the standard ships from CS mode in the new DLC campaigns freely).

We haven't finalized a price for the Taito ship packs just yet, but we're aiming to launch this content some time around late Feb/early March.

This is all nice and all, but I really hope the second DLC will add more Darius things redone. Less Darius Smash, more Darius's own R-Type Final!
The one thing that could be improved in Burst is that the backgrounds are not as flashy as some previous entries, especially 2 and G.

Still not clear whether the arrangements would be from Zuntata. Another possibility would be
quote:
I'm pretty sure they're using the same arranges that are on the CD that comes with the Vita LE, so Michiru Yamane for the Raystorm tracks, Yack for the Metal Black tracks and sanodg for the Night Striker tracks.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Wed 13 Jan 06:31]

karasu
1597th Post

"Re(1):Taito's shooting history in Darius" , posted Wed 27 Jan 09:50post reply

quote:
Iggy's Darius talk

I've finally got a bit of cash to drop on Dariusburst, so I'm excited to hear that it's not quite the garbage that a lot of gaming media portrays it as. For me Darius has always been a favorite.

In other matters, why do I feel like I recognize the voice actor for Pikachu? maybe someone with a better knowledge of such things can help?

Iggy
10112th Post

"Re(2):Taito's shooting history in Darius" , posted Wed 27 Jan 20:11post reply

quote:
In other matters, why do I feel like I recognize the voice actor for Pikachu? maybe someone with a better knowledge of such things can help?

I've seen people say it sounds like Oukawa Touru, but it sounds quite different to me... but then, I don't know anything about VA in general.

neo0r0chiaku
114th Post

Regular Customer

"Re:Mighty No 9 Suffers Third Delay" , posted Thu 28 Jan 23:01:post reply

A bit late but Mighty No 9 Suffers Third Delay

Then there is this Mighty No. 9 Release Date is May 31, According to Best Buy

Someone mentioned that with the release of big games by the names of The Witness, XCOM 2, Firewatch, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, and Unravel, would have not bid well with the sales of Mighty No. 9. Who knows :/

Long Live!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Thu 28 Jan 23:03]

Ishmael
5381th Post

"Re(1):Re:Mighty No 9 Suffers Third Delay" , posted Sun 31 Jan 08:32post reply

quote:

Does anyone actually want online modes in a game like Mn9 or were people so excited about the initial kickstarter that they kept throwing money at the project regardless of the listed goals? Did the game designers think through the kickstarter goals or did they simply tack on everything they could think of when the money started pouring in? Mn9 is going to be a case study in everything that can go right and everything that can go wrong with crowd funding for games.

nobinobita
1546th Post

"Re(2):Re:Mighty No 9 Suffers Third Delay" , posted Mon 1 Feb 14:30post reply

quote:
Does anyone actually want online modes in a game like Mn9 or were people so excited about the initial kickstarter that they kept throwing money at the project regardless of the listed goals? Did the game designers think through the kickstarter goals or did they simply tack on everything they could think of when the money started pouring in? Mn9 is going to be a case study in everything that can go right and everything that can go wrong with crowd funding for games.

I have serious buyer's remorse for funding Mighty No 9. I've never regretted spending money on something so much. When it was first pitched, Inafune was all like "I'm going back to my roots! I'm proud to be a Japanese game developer. I'm going to do what I'm good at! I think there's still room to innovate!"

And then after I gave him my money he went back to his usual shucking and jiving about "Japan sucks! We must kowtow to The West! Please give me more money!"

And that's to say nothing of the delays, the fact that the game still looks like a generic Unity demo, or his attempts to use funds to create a hideous cg saturday morning cartoon of his incomplete game.

www.art-eater.com

IkariDC
806th Post

"Nihon Falcom and Spotifi" , posted Mon 1 Feb 18:02:post reply

This is a heads-up for Spotifi users. Recently, (about 3 days ago?) Falcom just uploaded almost all their entire discography (I noticed All Over Xanadu is missing for example) to the service! I'm having the best Monday ever at work!

Those Zanmai albums are great great great! I needed to sample some to decide which ones to add to my CD collection.

Note: For some reason the correct name of the service is a banned word in the forum and I had to change it to Spotifi, it wouldn't let me post otherwise.

[this message was edited by IkariDC on Mon 1 Feb 22:37]

shindekudasai
430th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Nihon Falcom and Spotifi" , posted Wed 3 Feb 03:14post reply

Just wanted to say thanks for this. My long bus ride home was MUCH more tolerable set to the Oath in Felghana soundtrack!

IkariDC
806th Post

"Re(2):Nihon Falcom and Spotifi" , posted Wed 3 Feb 16:11post reply

quote:
Just wanted to say thanks for this. My long bus ride home was MUCH more tolerable set to the Oath in Felghana soundtrack!

You're welcome! Great choice by the way! Today they uploaded Ys Healing. Not my cup of tea that one, but it's nice to see they're slowly uploading their remaining albums. I need Shoko Minami's Feena album and the Falcom Special Boxes asap!

neo0r0chiaku
119th Post

Regular Customer

"Re: Phantom Dust May Be Coming Back" , posted Thu 4 Feb 23:39:post reply

A bit late but: Phantom Dust May Be Coming Back, According to a New Trademark

Any Phantom Dust fans here? I do not think anyone brought up the announced sequel last year. It was shocking to know that it was one of the last Xbox1 live games that had a working server until 2014. I played the game over ten years ago and it was amazing at the time. Shocking to hear about the sequel as well. The original production team working on the sequel shut down last year.

Long Live!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Thu 4 Feb 23:43]

Spoon
3226th Post

"Re(1):Re: Phantom Dust May Be Coming Back" , posted Fri 5 Feb 03:26post reply

quote:
A bit late but: Phantom Dust May Be Coming Back, According to a New Trademark

Any Phantom Dust fans here? I do not think anyone brought up the announced sequel last year. It was shocking to know that it was one of the last Xbox1 live games that had a working server until 2014. I played the game over ten years ago and it was amazing at the time. Shocking to hear about the sequel as well. The original production team working on the sequel shut down last year.

You might want to amend that to Phantom Dust May be Coming Back... Again!

The previous attempt to revive it died a horrible death! You can find articles about it, it sounded like a lot of poor handling from the higher-ups.

Loona
996th Post

"Every Final Fantasy XI cutscene" , posted Fri 5 Feb 18:40post reply

Every story scene in FFXI is now available on Youtube - from the major missions to the smallest quest that actually has a cutscene for it.
It's a monumental fan effort, considering that outside the playlist I linked to, which consists of over 900 scenes, the uploader also has alternate versions of several scenes on his account, which can change based on mid-scene "dialog" (mostly mute player character...) selections or prior accomplishments.
The same account also has some alternate shorter playlist that cover specific expansions or storylines, to make the whole thing a bit easier to handle (14 years of content after all...).

For a small sample that barely touches the major plot points of the game but still does a pretty good job of establishing the setting for one of the expansions, I rather like the Soothing Waters quest - it focuses on a character that's important in her area of the game, but has almost zero chances of making it to the likes of Dissidia or Theatrythm.

...!!

Gieflos
108th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Nihon Falcom and Spotifi" , posted Sat 6 Feb 01:10post reply

quote:
I need Shoko Minami's Feena album and the Falcom Special Boxes asap!

I don't use spotify but I am a HUGE fan of that Feena album. It's the perfect crossroads of arrange album and 90's pop/R&B for me. Minami's vocals are so soothing and the arrangements are balanced well between being faithful and original.

I've recently been listening to Provincialism Ys and it kind of hits that same 90's itch. It's cheesy, I know, but I enjoy it.

IkariDC
808th Post

"Re(4):Nihon Falcom and Spotifi" , posted Mon 8 Feb 16:56post reply

quote:
I need Shoko Minami's Feena album and the Falcom Special Boxes asap!

I don't use spotifi but I am a HUGE fan of that Feena album. It's the perfect crossroads of arrange album and 90's pop/R&B for me. Minami's vocals are so soothing and the arrangements are balanced well between being faithful and original.

I've recently been listening to Provincialism Ys and it kind of hits that same 90's itch. It's cheesy, I know, but I enjoy it.

I agree! Those kind of vocal arranged albums are so hit & miss, but they did everything right with that album. My Falcom special order arrived recently, it contained 12 Ys albums, at 9200 yens for the set and even though I already owned some of these albums (like that Feena one) it was worth it!

I also enjoy that Provincialism Ys album, so cheesy but it kind of works for me.

Neo0r0chiaku
147th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Taito's shooting history in Darius" , posted Thu 24 Mar 11:16:post reply

quote:
Iggys review of Darius

Around the time you posted on Darius, I been trying to pick up on playing Twins and Gaiden. After playing Gaiden, I must say that the soundtrack, gives me so much memories when I first played it. Not only that, the music is out of this world. First timers would not think this is music from a video game. Not sure how to put it in words but just wanted to share. I have been listening to the OST all this week to.

Long Live!

[this message was edited by Neo0r0chiaku on Thu 24 Mar 12:16]

Iggy
10183th Post

"Re(4):Taito's shooting history in Darius" , posted Thu 24 Mar 20:05post reply

Yes! Zuntata magic!

And the bump reminds me: the second set of DLC doesn't add new Darius elements from older games... but adds Space Harrier, Galaxy Force and Fantasy Zone.

JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN.