Random GAMES! Thread#28: Road to E3 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5961 Views )

chazumaru
1478th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Random GAMES! Thread#28: Road to E3" , posted Wed 13 May 18:21post reply

>>#27 (156 replies)

• This is amazing: Office Create is releasing a re-skinned version of Cooking Mama,
in which you play a slacker/NEET who has to do crappy part-time jobs to buy a bike.
Dramatic Arbeiter Kōji

DQ8 is coming to 3DS this summer with new party characters and other extras.

A new Mallo game was released today. "Free-to-start, choose your pack"-type of contents.
(I bet the Famicom pack will outsell the others handily!)

• That new "Assassin's Creed in London" is not at all the grimy foggy London I expected.
It looks more like the West End version of Les Miserables than From Hell.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Replies:

Ishmael
5164th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Random GAMES! Thread#28: Road to E3" , posted Thu 14 May 01:00post reply

quote:
• That new "Assassin's Creed in London" is not at all the grimy foggy London I expected.

How is it that I don't enjoy Assassin's Creed at all? It features two things I enjoy (history and stabbing) and turns it into the dullest muck possible. Add into that the AC games come out at the same speed and grim regularity of a machine gun and I've lost track of any of the titles that might have featured decent elements. These games should be awesome but even fans of the series seem to view them as an obligation more often than not.

Freeter
4633th Post

"Re(1):Random GAMES! Thread#28: Road to E3" , posted Thu 14 May 01:29post reply

quote:

• This is amazing: Office Create is releasing a re-skinned version of Cooking Mama,
in which you play a slacker/NEET who has to do crappy part-time jobs to buy a bike.
Dramatic Arbeiter Kōji

If the credit roll isn't him dreaming the whole thing I'll be very disappointed.

Spoon
2874th Post

"Re(2):Random GAMES! Thread#28: Road to E3" , posted Thu 14 May 02:31post reply

quote:

Dramatic Arbeiter Kōji

If the credit roll isn't him dreaming the whole thing I'll be very disappointed.

There has never been a more perfect combination subject matter, post, and username.

nobinobita
1402th Post

"Re(3):Random GAMES! Thread#28: Road to E3" , posted Thu 14 May 02:33post reply

quote:

Dramatic Arbeiter Kōji

There has never been a more perfect combination subject matter, post, and username.

http://gymnasticsnewsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/planetary-alignment-oct-13-2010-200.jpg

www.art-eater.com

chazumaru
1479th Post

"Famitsu news" , posted Thu 14 May 22:14post reply

So Koei is releasing a second Romance of the Three Kingdoms game on 3DS in Japan. And it's a remake of Romance of The Three Kingdoms III. Well, to make sure nobody is confused, they called it Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2. Alright.

There is also a new Nobunaga game coming. OK. It's the second 3DS game coming, so they also call this one Nobunaga no Yabou 2. Fair enough. Is that also a remake of Nobunaga III, you ask? Come on, don't make a fool of yourself. Obviously, it's a remake of Nobunaga DS. Well, Nobunaga DS was actually a port of Nobunaga VIII, so it's the remake's remake. How dare you be confused.

In other news, Shokugeki no Souma is the only manga I read these days, and I enjoy cooking games, and I love my 3DS, yet even I am not excited by the arrival of a 3DS game based on Shokugeki no Souma. Furyu is involved, which #1 is not helping with the issue summed-up in the previous sentence, and #2 wait, is that really how they decided to use their Legend of Legacy money?

Même Narumi est épatée !

talbaineric
6271th Post

"Re(2):Random GAMES! Thread#28: Road to E3" , posted Fri 15 May 02:19:post reply

quote:

How is it that I don't enjoy Assassin's Creed at all? It features two things I enjoy (history and stabbing) and turns it into the dullest muck possible. Add into that the AC games come out at the same speed and grim regularity of a machine gun and I've lost track of any of the titles that might have featured decent elements. These games should be awesome but even fans of the series seem to view them as an obligation more often than not.

Agreed. I tried my best to enjoy it, but I couldn't pick it up after a while and just gave up on it. It's a great series, but I dunno. Maybe this game might change my mind? Looks interesting.

[this message was edited by talbaineric on Fri 15 May 02:21]

karasu
1493th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(2):Random GAMES! Thread#28: Road to E3" , posted Fri 15 May 04:41post reply

quote:

I'm pretty disappointed by the look of the game, which could have emphasized the grimy shitiness of Victorian London, but instead went for something altogether less interesting, a bit like those 1950's westerns where all the cowboys are clean and have perfect pomaded 50's hair, and when they get knocked down their hats don't fall off or lose their jaunty angle. Maybe they weren't able to complete their grime and soot generation engine? Well hopefully at least maybe everyone's faces will be in order this time around.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

Loona
862th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Random GAMES! Thread#28: Road to E3" , posted Fri 15 May 18:03post reply

Even if there's never a new Streets of Rage, I'm glad at least the Project X Zone 2 devs remembered to reference the series

I would have preferred Blaze with her SoR1 look and SoR2 moves, but I'll take Axel, considering the lack of anything actually new related to the series in 21 years.

...!!

chazumaru
1480th Post

"Re(2):Random GAMES! Thread#28: Road to E3" , posted Fri 15 May 19:18post reply

• Well, are we sure Axel is the only SoR character to appear? In any case, it is obvious this sequel is now pandering to the US audience rather than the "PSP generation" of Japanese players. In that light, I still don't understand why they picked the obscure PS2 ninja to represent Shinobi, rather than Joe Musashi.

Finally Japan has the GTA it deserves. The title's translation is a mouthful (and I think they botched 青春 as "young man", it's literally the "springtime of life"/puberty and that gives a very different insight on the game's overall tone).

TAYTONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Même Narumi est épatée !

neo0r0chiaku
29th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Random GAMES! Thread#28: Road to E3" , posted Fri 15 May 21:09post reply

quote:
Even if there's never a new Streets of Rage, I'm glad at least the Project X Zone 2 devs remembered to reference the series

I would have preferred Blaze with her SoR1 look and SoR2 moves, but I'll take Axel, considering the lack of anything actually new related to the series in 21 years.

Well, at least someone is finally using SOR for something. If only some one revives it. Lets not forget that even though it was not entirely new, The fan-made Streets of rage Remake is still a nice touch to pick up and play once in a while. I enjoy it until this day since it will be the closest "new" thing of SOR.

Long Live!

chazumaru
1488th Post

"Cooking Thug gets 30/40 in Famitsu" , posted Thu 21 May 15:08post reply

There is plenty of interesting stuff in this week's Famitsu.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Iggy
9914th Post

"Re(1):Cooking Thug gets 30/40 in Famitsu" , posted Thu 21 May 18:41post reply

Wait. Scans are still a thing? What year is it?

Loona
868th Post

"Re(1):Cooking Thug gets 30/40 in Famitsu" , posted Thu 21 May 18:51post reply

SRW BX trailer

Always nice to see Nadesico in the series (I I think it's the first time a carrier makes it to the cover illustration, although it's a fitting case), and GaoGaiGar was pretty enjoyable in SRW W, so one day I might have to get round to watching it.

...!!

Ishmael
5173th Post

"Re(1):Cooking Thug gets 30/40 in Famitsu" , posted Thu 21 May 21:57post reply

quote:
There is plenty of interesting stuff in this week's Famitsu.

I really want to fight that King Kong sized flying monkey in DDO but that's not much of a surprise. What is surprising is that the latest Vita dating game went with the woeful name of Girl Friend Beta. Should you list your target audience's unflattering nickname in the title?

Iggy
9916th Post

"Re(2):Cooking Thug gets 30/40 in Famitsu" , posted Mon 25 May 10:20post reply

I was recently wondering what Keita Takahashi was doing.
The answer is unsurprisingly surprising (or vice-versa).

Spoon
2882th Post

"Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster" , posted Wed 27 May 01:11post reply

If this really does eventually lead to a full-fledged RE2 remake, I think a lot of cafe goers will be very happy. Meanwhile, RE6 is getting re-used as a pachislot.

karasu
1502th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster" , posted Wed 27 May 07:15post reply

quote:
If this really does eventually lead to a full-fledged RE2 remake, I think a lot of cafe goers will be very happy. Meanwhile, RE6 is getting re-used as a pachislot.

I would be made even happier by such a hypothetical thing if Elza Walker were to be made playable somehow.

As for RE0 remake, I'm happy to give it another chance. The Gamecube version was better than contemporary reviews would have you believe. That is if I'm even remembering it correctly.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

neo0r0chiaku
38th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster" , posted Wed 27 May 12:17post reply

quote:

I would be made even happier by such a hypothetical thing if Elza Walker were to be made playable somehow.

As for RE0 remake, I'm happy to give it another chance. The Gamecube version was better than contemporary reviews would have you believe. That is if I'm even remembering it correctly.

I never saw a problem with the Gamecube version. Not sure why they bash it so much at the time. They just had a different type of game play mechanics than the other RE games at the time. Especially since they remade RE1 not long before RE0 came out. If they would have made the same game play mechanics into RE0, I think people would have bash it more. Unless they really wanted it to be the same.

Long Live!

Gojira
3105th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(1):Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster" , posted Wed 27 May 23:29post reply

quote:

I'd be happy, but I think a remake of RE2, RE3 or even Code Veronica would be nearly impossible for today's Capcom. If this initiative to farm out conversions of old pre-HD titles keeps going then honestly I think the only other game we could expect from it is a RE Outbreak collection.

Spoon
2888th Post

"Akiba's Trip on Steam" , posted Fri 29 May 01:33post reply

Steam has been becoming the bastion for Japanese visual novels, so I guess it's no surprise that the waters are being tested for other hyper-niche games.

But what I really want to know is: Maese, did you have a role in this game, seeing as how it's made by Acquire?

Maese
768th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Akiba's Trip on Steam" , posted Fri 29 May 10:14post reply

quote:
Steam has been becoming the bastion for Japanese visual novels, so I guess it's no surprise that the waters are being tested for other hyper-niche games.

But what I really want to know is: Maese, did you have a role in this game, seeing as how it's made by Acquire?

Summon Maese++ was super effective!

For better or worse, I had nothing to do with Akiba series. I used to sit right next to the team members tough, so next time we meet for a beer (in whatever continent it may be!) I could tell some off-the-record stories.

In any case, I'm glad they finally made it to Steam. I'd love to see more JP developers publish their stuff there.

chazumaru
1492th Post

"Re(2):Akiba's Trip on Steam" , posted Sat 30 May 19:35post reply

I think there will be more and more Japanese games announced for Steam in the coming months. Squeni, Koei and Bandai are already increasing their support. Nippon Ichi and SpikeChunsoft announced plans. Dangan Ronpa is a given. Even something like RGG/Yakuza might find a second career on the platform.

Here is a good table for the upcoming E3 conferences.

Même Narumi est épatée !

chazumaru
1494th Post

"Kage" , posted Sun 31 May 04:16post reply

Nice video for Prof who was a fan of The Legend of Kage, if I remember correctly:
Battle of the Ports - The Legend of Kage (影の伝説) (Show #69) 60fps (The PSP version/remake is missing.)

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
2891th Post

"Re(1):Kage" , posted Sun 31 May 07:03:post reply

quote:
Nice video for Prof who was a fan of The Legend of Kage, if I remember correctly:
Battle of the Ports - The Legend of Kage (影の伝説) (Show #69) 60fps (The PSP version/remake is missing.)

Did you ever play the Famicom sequel, Fudou Myouou Den (不動明王伝)? The protagonist on the cover has a weirdly sassy pose.

The NES version (Demon Sword) is a much much easier game, but since I played it before Legend of Kage, I never found myself liking Legend of Kage as much.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Sun 31 May 07:04]

badoor
423th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Kage" , posted Sun 31 May 07:39post reply

quote:

Did you ever play the Famicom sequel, Fudou Myouou Den (不動明王伝)? The protagonist on the cover has a weirdly sassy pose.

The NES version (Demon Sword) is a much much easier game, but since I played it before Legend of Kage, I never found myself liking Legend of Kage as much.

Speaking of The Legend of Kage, I was always fond of the DS game. It had some nice 2D art and felt like a lost SNES or Playstation or Saturn 2D game that just wound up getting ported to the DS. The game didn't have any tacked-on touch controls, the only "DS-feature" it had was that the screen streched out to the top, which is appropriate since Kage & crew jump so high in this game (just like in the original game too), so it was nice to see what was up above before jumping.

And unlike Contra 4 or Yoshi's Island DS (which both also had their whole play field stretched across both screens), Kage NEVER left the bottom screen (if I remember correctly). This is great because on those other games, characters constantly switched between screens and it was disorienting, plus they would always end up in the "blind zone" area in between screens, which is ridiculous.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/

Baines
428th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Akiba's Trip on Steam" , posted Sun 31 May 10:11post reply

quote:
In any case, I'm glad they finally made it to Steam. I'd love to see more JP developers publish their stuff there.

I hope JP developers get used to PC ports and Steam releases. Otherwise, the level of complaints that they face could drive them away.

Western games might be released with bugs or are no-frills ports, but too often it feels like it is a gamble as to whether Japanese games will even be playable. And Valve isn't exactly known for having a consumer-friendly refund policy.

I was interested in the PC port of Akiba's Trip, but am put off by complaints of video CODEC issues, control config issues, and crash issues.

Phantom Breaker locked up at launch, and could run poorly even if it did run at all. Dynasty Warriors 8 could crash if you were running 64-bit Windows. It took Koei over a week to fix the main cause, and the game still has rare random crashes. KOF XIII would have been an utter mess at release if it hadn't had a beta, a beta originally only meant to test the game's net code.

chazumaru
1497th Post

"Morimoto Direct" , posted Sun 31 May 20:37:post reply

Well, there was a surprising amount of valuable announcements in that new Nintendo Direct.

• A new Monster Hunter game combining MH4G with older episodes with... Devil May Cry movesets ? Huh.
• A slightly more predictable sequel to Monster Hunter Airu Village, complete with the obvious Animal Crossing collaboration.
• A lot of stuff for Fire Emblem if. It has its own 9min trailer here.
• An early view of Project Treasure, Nabbit/Totten/Carottin in the next Mario & Sonic, a new Dr Mario, some SRW footage, Etc.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sun 31 May 21:01]

Iggy
9921th Post

"Re(1):Morimoto Direct" , posted Sun 31 May 20:46post reply

This guy doesn't blink... He scares me. Was the QoL project simply replacing Iwata with a younger-looking android?

chazumaru
1501th Post

"STELLAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Fri 5 Jun 04:46post reply

ステラれた

A massive update on FF15 has been provided by Squeni, and it confirms many things.

• No new FF15 footage at E3 despite the SQEX conference. More info at Gamescom.
• The "2.0" version of the demo arrives June 9. I am pretty sure Iggy is already camping at my door to try it!
• They have changed/simplified some elements of the story and removed some parts we saw early on.
Stella, the main female character unveiled in the very first trailer (2006), is gone from the game.
• I don't know if anyone is still hoping for this game to come in 2015 but maybe they should switch to another dream.

Also not directly related but FF Mobius is out in Japan, on iOS and Android.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Ishmael
5180th Post

"Re(1):STELLAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Fri 5 Jun 10:11post reply

quote:
Stella, the main female character unveiled in the very first trailer (2006), is gone from the game.

I get the feeling this is going to be one of those Dean Earwicker moments where, when my future descendants finally get to play this game, I will decide I preferred the original placeholder name.

Maou
2798th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"Re(1):STELLAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Fri 5 Jun 12:07post reply

quote:
ステラれた
爆笑

In addition to my dislike for the imposters parading the empty shell of Square around, I also look forward to XV never coming out because it is a cute reversal of those sad days when Dragon Quest VII was a perpetual joke, falling of synch with Final Fantasy in terms of parallel releases as the latter progressed first to VII, then VIII, then IX...

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

chazumaru
1502th Post

"Re(2):STELLAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Fri 5 Jun 13:25post reply

quote:
when my future descendants finally get to play this game

A good friend of mine was a new dad when this game was originally announced. His daughter, who is into video games and got interested in Japanese RPG via Pokémon and Ni No Kuni, will be old enough to order the game by herself on Amazon when it comes out in Europe. Let that sink in for a minute.

Même Narumi est épatée !

chazumaru
1503th Post

"MOBAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Fri 5 Jun 22:32post reply

Squeni transforms the Lord of Vermilion series into a 7vs7 free-to-play MOBA (MOBAAAAAAA!) for Japan!

The explosion of FIFA. The tennis. The NBA finals. The Champions League final. The sales of Splatoon. The E3 leaks. Squeni diving into MOBA. Stella. (STELLAAAAA!). This week has been wonderful. Let's cancel xmas.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
2895th Post

"Re(3):STELLAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Sat 6 Jun 00:29post reply

quote:
when my future descendants finally get to play this game

A good friend of mine was a new dad when this game was originally announced. His daughter, who is into video games and got interested in Japanese RPG via Pokémon and Ni No Kuni, will be old enough to order the game by herself on Amazon when it comes out in Europe. Let that sink in for a minute.

I've always thought of lengthy development cycles in terms of high school / undergraduate: if a game takes 4-5 years (not even half of what XV has taken) to make, you start making it when your kid enters that school, and then you hand them the game when they graduate.

I can only imagine the emotions that would be shown if the game were something like Deadly Premonition.

Zepy
1667th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):STELLAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Sat 6 Jun 02:43post reply

quote:

I started comparing FF15 to major events I remember in the last 10 years and I start to realize how old it is

when Versus 13 was announced in 2006 the iPhone did not even exist yet, the first iPhone was launched in 2007

Maou
2799th Post

"Re(4):STELLAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Sat 6 Jun 02:55post reply

quote:
when Versus 13 was announced in 2006 the iPhone did not even exist yet, the first iPhone was launched in 2007
The PS5 can't be that far off. Wouldn't it be amaaaazing if it skipped TWO generations of consoles?

chazumaru
1504th Post

"Re(5):STELLAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Sat 6 Jun 03:24post reply

It's all fine and well to use FF15v13 as a tine machine, but let's all remember "The First Game of The Next Generation of PlayStation" Ni-Oh remains The King as it was announced in 2005 and is still officially in development. To be fair, at the time Koei never specified that they were specifically talking about PS3 when they tweeted oh wait, Twitter did not exist yet.

Sen no Kiseki I & II have been confirmed for localization by Xseed today under the title(s) Trails of Cold Steel I & II.
I wonder if the game will also come out for PC or remain a PS family exclusive.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
2896th Post

"Re(6):STELLAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Sat 6 Jun 04:05post reply

quote:

Sen no Kiseki I & II have been confirmed for localization by Xseed today under the title(s) Trails of Cold Steel I & II.
I wonder if the game will also come out for PC or remain a PS family exclusive.

More importantly (for me), XSEED have announced localization of EDF2 Vita and EDF4.1

EDF may well be the piece of software that convinces me to buy consoles more than any other if it is what winds up being the tipping point for me getting a Vita. I don't know how I feel about that.

Spoon
2897th Post

"Re(6):STELLAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Sat 6 Jun 06:03post reply

quote:
It's all fine and well to use FF15v13 as a tine machine, but let's all remember "The First Game of The Next Generation of PlayStation" Ni-Oh remains The King as it was announced in 2005 and is still officially in development. To be fair, at the time Koei never specified that they were specifically talking about PS3 when they tweeted oh wait, Twitter did not exist yet.

The Last Guardian is younger than Ni-Oh by 2 years, which in a regular cycle would make it a LOT younger, but on this eldritch timeline makes it surprisingly only a little younger.

CHAZumaru
1507th Post

"Re(7): BERSERIAAAAAAAAAAAA!" , posted Sun 7 Jun 21:05post reply

New Tales to quickly forget the previous one (which will probably be announced for PC and PS4 at either E3 or Japan Expo).

I keep reading it as Tales of Berezina.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Freeter
4635th Post

"Re(8): BERSERIAAAAAAAAAAAA!" , posted Sun 7 Jun 21:24post reply

But Baba wants you to remember his failure masterpiece!

Loona
875th Post

"Re(1):MOBAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Mon 8 Jun 17:41post reply

quote:
Squeni transforms the Lord of Vermilion series into a 7vs7 free-to-play MOBA (MOBAAAAAAA!) for Japan!

I wonder if this will ever have the insane amount of crossover character LoV2 had - that was the one appealing thin about it, considering how impossible it was to play it all the way from Europe.
That being said, for a card game, the actual actual on screen in the previous games already resembled a MOBA, with groups of character moving around in a mostly-flat 3D map.
I wouldn't be too surprised if the original plan what to make the series action-based, and the previous iterations were the possible compromise between what the original designer wanted to do and what SE thought it needed to release to diversify, and maybe now those intentions are converging more.

...!!

nobinobita
1417th Post

"Re(2):MOBAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Mon 8 Jun 19:26:post reply

quote:

I wonder if this will ever have the insane amount of crossover character LoV2 had - that was the one appealing thin about it, considering how impossible it was to play it all the way from Europe.
That being said, for a card game, the actual actual on screen in the previous games already resembled a MOBA, with groups of character moving around in a mostly-flat 3D map.
I wouldn't be too surprised if the original plan what to make the series action-based, and the previous iterations were the possible compromise between what the original designer wanted to do and what SE thought it needed to release to diversify, and maybe now those intentions are converging more.

I think if someone released a well made MOBA with lots of recognisable manga/anime/Japanese games characters, it would make a shocking amount of money in Asia. Maybe this is that game (it could be if it was full of Final Fantasy characters)

Also I just recently found out that it's common in MOBA tournaments for teams to pick characters that the other team CANT use.

I still don't understand the appeal of MOBAs.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 8 Jun 19:28]

Spoon
2899th Post

"Re(3):MOBAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Mon 8 Jun 20:31:post reply

quote:

I think if someone released a well made MOBA with lots of recognisable manga/anime/Japanese games characters, it would make a shocking amount of money in Asia. Maybe this is that game (it could be if it was full of Final Fantasy characters)

Also I just recently found out that it's common in MOBA tournaments for teams to pick characters that the other team CANT use.

On the first point:
It'd still need to be a half-way different game from the existing MOBAs (I hate that acronym SO MUCH, but that's another story), because those are such entrenched genre kings that cloning their gameplay with a different IP flavoring it isn't enough to guarantee success. DC Comics tried recently, and it has failed. The KOF MOBA is dead, and that was only playable in Asia, to boot.

On the second point:
I'm pretty sure I've expounded on that point before, haha! But the character banning prevents BOTH teams from using the character, not just one team.
It has its roots in the fact that until a gameplay switch was invented (-samepick), the default in DOTA was that any given character could only be picked once. So imagine if MvC series was invented in a world where mirror match never got invented: for a competitive match, how would you make character selection fair? Alternating selection one pick at a time (team 1 picks 1 character, team 2 picks 1 character, team 1 picks 1 character...) is flawed because team 2 gets to counter pick team 1. Letting teams block select in some fashion (team 1 picks 1 hero, team 2 picks 1 hero, team 1 picks X heroes, team 2 picks X heroes...) improves this somewhat. On top of that, this is a game that gets revised frequently, unlike fighting games. I don't remember which was the first version to include banning, but it is actually a remarkably good feature, in spite of how counter-intuitive it may seem. After all, if a game is all about characters, why would you deliberately put in a feature that outright prevents characters from being used?

Well, what happens is that the ban phase actually winds up increasing the diversity of team compositions, in addition to being an interesting mechanic in the first place. Arguably a different kind of auction mechanic could be less overt in allowing teams to bias selection, but that's another discussion. At a lower level of play, it lets the public simply avoid whatever character is perceived to be "too obnoxiously strong" at the moment (which seems scrubby as hell, coming from a fighting game perspective, but bear with me), as well as knocking out certain particularly character combinations that they feel are obnoxious to deal with (again, which seems scrubby as hell).

It winds up enabling particular strategies, as well as forcing your opponent to not simply do whatever they want. The draft (i.e. this entire phase of banning and picking characters) ends up being an incredibly deep game because of the deep pool of heroes and the fact that this is a deep team game where composition and with a lot of texture both strategically and tactically, both in ways that are different from fighting games. Bans range from being character-targeted ("this character is way too strong and we don't want to have to deal with it"), strategy-targeted ("this character enables a strategy we don't want to have to deal with, or counters a strategy we want to run"), player-targeted ("this player is WAY TOO GOOD with this character, nix it"), or even team-targeted ("we know all of the hero compositions that team is good with are enabled by certain heroes, so let's push them out of their comfort zone"). It entails a lot of reading of the opponent, and requires that teams learn how to use a wide variety of characters because there's no guarantee that they will get exactly the heroes they want.

From the fighting game perspective, each character is individually very deep, and from the MvC perspective, creating and mastering team compositions is an extremely long and challenging process. Discovering coherent team compositions is fun and interesting. There is nobility in mastering a particular character/team, because they are so deep and because it is a one player versus one player game. It is a not a game featuring a team of players playing simultaneously. From a fighting game perspective, mastery of a single character/team is already a daunting task, and players identify with a single character; it's bizarre to demand MORE of a player, and it's bizarre for a player to not be allowed to play what they want. And there is joy in watching a great master of a particular character.

But changes in a given fighting game happen rarely/slowly; it is unusual for a fighting game to have its characters adjusted more than once per calendar year. There is depth in DotA characters, but the modding mentality has always been that nothing is sacred. Mods are not restricted by physical arcade hardware distribution. Mods can be changed by he author freely and frequently. The game changes often, from a fighting game perspective, too often: oldschool fighting game players believe that in a well-made game, counter strategies can inevitably be determined, and changing the game before that determination is made is leaving depths unexplored.

The mentality from DotA because of the simultaneous team and no mirror match nature of the game is that character mastery is great (and there are players who were so great with certain characters that those characters have alternate names which are the names of those masters!), but the true heart of the game lies in the team and team composition, and it is worth enriching that at the expense of its own characters, of which it has a wealth. Change is both frequent and inevitable, something very different from the old school fighting game environment. It is a game difference and a cultural difference begotten of deeply underlying game design, historical, and technological differences.

That said, if MvC3 had a ban phase, I would totally be interested in seeing what teams get made/played as a result. It's been long considered that in MvC2, if you removed the Big 4 (Sent Storm Mags Cable), the new top tiers are absolutely obnoxious and the game becomes worse. In MvC3, there are some characters who are dominating assists (e.g. Doom, Akuma) and some who are dominating on point (e.g. Vergil, Wolverine). If teams built around certain compositions have that composition pre-emptively disrupted, what kinds of new teams get made?

[this message was edited by Spoon on Mon 8 Jun 20:35]

Loona
876th Post

"Re(3):MOBAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Mon 8 Jun 21:21post reply

quote:

Behold the amazing list of characters in LoV2 and imagine it in a a game that's more about action than cards than it was - several FFs, KoF, Touhou, Persona, Blazblue, even Magic the Gathering, and that's not even all of it.
Just the prospect of a game with both FFXI and KoF in it would have been enough to sell me on a game - then again, considering that mess with the Hi Score Girl manga, so much for that ever happening anytime soon...

quote:

This would do wonders for fighting game tournaments, where often finals lean towards a very small subset of characters.
There's charm to seeing mastery of a character, but that over specialization also makes it harder for newer players to survive against an expert - a focus on the game's fundamentals over character specifics might be a good thing.

quote:

I can barely parse what's going on in most, but I figure two strong points are:
* Free game
* Team game, so if your team loses, blame is diluted and is easily redirected - you're more open to trying again because you might get teamed up with different people and maybe get a better chance

I have only some very limited experience with LoL, but the leveling mechanics can also appeal to many a mindsets - you might lose a lot early on, but if you're still getting some EXP, you're at least working towards making your character stronger, and you get more exposure to the game mechanics, which can help you to notice patterns in the gameplay which might help you to improve over time.
On LoL specifically, you can also play to gradually unlock a character you think you'll like more, or be a better fit for your style of play - not to mention the periorically available free characters (something the F2P version of DoA5 was wise to implement), which is great to let you experiment.

Then there's the big competitions and their prizes, which feel like big bait for young one dreaming of making a career out of playing video games - I wonder how actually viable the economics of that are... I get the feeling that might be a bubble waiting to burst in th next few years - it's really hard to think of those games as appealing for viewers when they practically always play in the same map (which looks pretty boring to watch for the Nth time) with only very small characters moving around, seen from bird's eye view.

Then again, Starcraft did well for itself, and these games are more character-centric versions of that...

...!!

chazumaru
1508th Post

"Re(2):MOBAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Mon 8 Jun 23:27post reply

quote:
racter moving around in a mostly-flat 3D map.

Hmm I think the previous game was intended to follow up on the card game trend for arcade centers. It came out in the middle of the boom led by WCCF and similar games, when SQEX was trying to boost its newly-acquired Taito centers.

Arcade card games had significant action components and it seems these kind of hybrid games became more popular than straight up card games. A good example from Sega is how action-oriented games such as The Quest of D (dungeon exploring with cards) and Sangokushi Taisen (Kessen with cards) replaced Avalon no Kagi (a more traditional Magic-type card game).

However, the trend for arcade card games is over in Japan, so they are trying to branch out the franchise. First, they tried to shift the series into becoming Squeni's Monster Hunting franchise with Lord of Arcana and Lord of Apocalypse, but that did not work out so well. Now they try to move the series on PC, and I think they just decided to coast on the recent PC trends to help the game catch on (the same way they took inspiration from MH to reach the PSP audience).

Même Narumi est épatée !

Ishmael
5183th Post

"Re(3):MOBAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Wed 10 Jun 03:00post reply

quote:

Several days ago in China I saw a McDonald's that was plastered from top to bottom with an ad campaign for Heroes of the Storm. While these ads somehow made McD's more tacky looking than usual it did show there is a massive market for MOBA's in that part of the world. It also makes me wonder if the quota for this type of game has already been filled. Realistically speaking, how many companies have the resources to push their way into a genre that's already controlled by such heavy hitters? I know the game industry suffers from a "go big or go home" mentality when it comes to profits but I wonder how many companies -such as the ones that Spoon mentioned- are going to lose the MOBA fight because they are trying to pick a fight that's far out of their weight class.

Ishmael
5185th Post

"E3 early releases" , posted Wed 10 Jun 11:11post reply

Devil's Third stills exists! Itagaki still exists! I can't believe this game is being published by Nintendo and not D3.

The image flopped flag behind Itagaki's vinyl sofa is a nice touch.

nobinobita
1417th Post

"Re(4):MOBAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Wed 10 Jun 12:32post reply

quote:

Several days ago in China I saw a McDonald's that was plastered from top to bottom with an ad campaign for Heroes of the Storm. While these ads somehow made McD's more tacky looking than usual it did show there is a massive market for MOBA's in that part of the world. It also makes me wonder if the quota for this type of game has already been filled. Realistically speaking, how many companies have the resources to push their way into a genre that's already controlled by such heavy hitters? I know the game industry suffers from a "go big or go home" mentality when it comes to profits but I wonder how many companies -such as the ones that Spoon mentioned- are going to lose the MOBA fight because they are trying to pick a fight that's far out of their weight class.

League of Legends is basically Chinese owned so it's going to be nigh impossible to compete against it in China, and it's already dominant the world over. I'm just talking out of my ass haha. I would love to see a MOBA with more interesting art/characters emerge is all. I think most of my (totally irrelevant and not important) disdain towards MOBAs comes from their rather lackluster visual design.

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2904th Post

"Re(5):MOBAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Wed 10 Jun 14:57post reply

quote:

League of Legends is basically Chinese owned so it's going to be nigh impossible to compete against it in China,

Well, being Chinese owned alone is not sufficient for it to be dominant in China. Perfect World is a Chinese company responsible for handling DOTA2 in China, but Perfect World and DOTA2 are far from Tencent and League in size.

Even if Alibaba, a Chinese conglomerate, decided to step into the ring, it still doesn't have all of the areas of dominance that Tencent has in China that help it promote an online game.

I guess what I'm really asking is when will <dominant conglomerate with dominant online portal in Korea> decide to enter the arena.

Spoon
2905th Post

"Kenka Banchou Otome" , posted Wed 10 Jun 15:01post reply

Things you never knew people wanted...

nobinobita
1418th Post

"Re(6):MOBAAAAAAAAAAA!!" , posted Wed 10 Jun 16:04post reply

quote:

League of Legends is basically Chinese owned so it's going to be nigh impossible to compete against it in China,

Well, being Chinese owned alone is not sufficient for it to be dominant in China. Perfect World is a Chinese company responsible for handling DOTA2 in China, but Perfect World and DOTA2 are far from Tencent and League in size.

Even if Alibaba, a Chinese conglomerate, decided to step into the ring, it still doesn't have all of the areas of dominance that Tencent has in China that help it promote an online game.

I guess what I'm really asking is when will <dominant conglomerate with dominant online portal in Korea> decide to enter the arena.

Haha yeah i should have specified they are owned by Tencent. Can't beat that.

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2908th Post

"Wattam E3 trailer" , posted Fri 12 Jun 01:22post reply

A toilet chasing a turd named Steve is fever-dream material

Ishmael
5189th Post

"Re(1):Wattam E3 trailer" , posted Fri 12 Jun 23:40post reply

quote:
A toilet chasing a turd named Steve is fever-dream material

I have no idea what is going on but it still makes more sense than the Oculus Rift demo of Xbox One games.

Lord SNK
67th Post

Occasional Customer

"E3 starts to leak" , posted Sun 14 Jun 17:13post reply

Platinum Games is developing a Transformers G1 game for Activision!
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/13/platinumgames-are-developing-a-transformers-brawler/

chazumaru
1512th Post

"SMASH BROS vs VIRTUA FIGHTER !!!" , posted Mon 15 Jun 00:43post reply

@4:10

Même Narumi est épatée !

Spoon
2914th Post

"Re(1):SMASH BROS vs VIRTUA FIGHTER !!!" , posted Mon 15 Jun 01:29post reply

quote:
@4:10

omg the Akiman poster at the end with the hulking Wii Fit Trainer

chazumaru
1514th Post

"Re(2):SMASH BROS vs VIRTUA FIGHTER !!!" , posted Mon 15 Jun 01:33:post reply

quote:

Of course WFT = Zangi. Hmmm Ryu is so faithful, he might get me back into Smash.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Mon 15 Jun 01:36]

Spoon
2915th Post

"Re(3):SMASH BROS vs VIRTUA FIGHTER !!!" , posted Mon 15 Jun 01:55post reply

quote:

Of course WFT = Zangi. Hmmm Ryu is so faithful, he might get me back into Smash.

I knew that poster looked awfully familiar! Still, pretty great that Akiman picked WFT for that spot instead of any of... say, DK or Ganondorf.

Kirby going there would've been fine, though.

I'm kind of surprised that not only can Ryu do special moves with motions or typically Smash control, but that the motions version have different behaviour or even bonus effects. Feels like it runs counter to the general philosophy of Smash, because there are very real, immediate and enshrined rewards for mechanical execution.

Meanwhile: I kind of hope that this Transformers game doesn't wind up being what Platinum's Korra game was, which was an adequate character action game that managed to completely miss the character subtleties/story/etc. that the franchise fans actually cared about.

Professor
4296th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):SMASH BROS vs VIRTUA FIGHTER !!!" , posted Mon 15 Jun 08:09:post reply

With Ryu now in Smash, I'm wondering if releasing a tier chart maker for the game is a good idea. I've been holding back on it since it's.. well, a Nintendo product and kind of thought of them as being strict on characters as Disney.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 15 Jun 08:28]

Doshin
8th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):SMASH BROS vs VIRTUA FIGHTER !!!" , posted Mon 15 Jun 14:25post reply

quote:
With Ryu now in Smash, I'm wondering if releasing a tier chart maker for the game is a good idea. I've been holding back on it since it's.. well, a Nintendo product and kind of thought of them as being strict on characters as Disney.

But Nintendo's been trying to connect more with the fanbase lately (at least in America). Why not give it a shot? What's the worst that could happen?

Loona
879th Post

"Re(3):SMASH BROS vs VIRTUA FIGHTER !!!" , posted Mon 15 Jun 18:51post reply

quote:

This is really weird to me, because the way I see it WFT should be in Dhalsim's place, considering the Yoga moves - WFT and captain Falcon swapping places would have still worked nicely IMO.
Still, very nice work.

...!!

Nobinobita
1420th Post

"Re(4):SMASH BROS vs VIRTUA FIGHTER !!!" , posted Mon 15 Jun 21:41:post reply

quote:

This is really weird to me, because the way I see it WFT should be in Dhalsim's place, considering the Yoga moves - WFT and captain Falcon swapping places would have still worked nicely IMO.
Still, very nice work.

I love that picture so much.

Lets take a moment to appreciate that Dhalsim was practicing Yoga in Street Fighter long before it entered the vernacular world wide. I have a friend who swears that he once played an early version of vanilla SF2 where Dhalsim exclaimed "yoga!" every time he got hit.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Mon 15 Jun 21:42]

Ishmael
5192th Post

"Re(5):SMASH BROS vs VIRTUA FIGHTER !!!" , posted Tue 16 Jun 00:53post reply

quote:
But Nintendo's been trying to connect more with the fanbase lately (at least in America). Why not give it a shot? What's the worst that could happen?

I agree, anything that promotes discussion of the game -such as a tier list- should be something that Nintendo will let pass. Nintendo will never be cuddly but they seem to be trying to get past the "we will kill you and your entire family if you touch our IP's" stance that they used to hold.

Iggy
9925th Post

"Re(6):SMASH BROS vs VIRTUA FIGHTER !!!" , posted Tue 16 Jun 01:18post reply

quote:

I agree, anything that promotes discussion of the game -such as a tier list- should be something that Nintendo will let pass. Nintendo will never be cuddly but they seem to be trying to get past the "we will kill you and your entire family if you touch our IP's" stance that they used to hold.

Safer yet: put all the characters except the Pokémon.
Nintendo will be OK with such things, but TPC will find you even in the middle of Alaska.
Again, it's easier for Nintendo to borrow characters from Namco, Capcom and Sega then from TPC...

Spoon
2917th Post

"Metal Gear Trailer" , posted Tue 16 Jun 03:29post reply

quote:

Safer yet: put all the 3rd party characters.

That trailer directed and cut by Kojima:
I haven't even watched it all yet but it's probably amazing.

Spoon
2918th Post

"TLG just happened" , posted Tue 16 Jun 10:16post reply

Come on, show Ni-Oh.

Spoon
2920th Post

"that was some showing at Sony's" , posted Tue 16 Jun 12:01:post reply

On the list of things I did not expect to see:
- The Last Guardian
- an actual FF7 remake announcement (it must've taken a saintly amount of self-control to not say "please be excited" before the video rolled)
- Yu Suzuki trying to give Shenmue 3 another go, for real

I'm still not sure how excited I should be, given that Shenmue 3 is just an announcement of a kickstarter (that is about as teaser of a teaser of a possiblity as I've seen), but I'm still happier knowing that Yu Suzuki is going to try to make Shenmue 3 for real than knowing Yu Suzuki is languishing away making meh mobile games that ride on the license of a greater property he made.

Shenmue 3's kickstarter has been up for maybe 2 hours and has >$830k, I'm hoping the moneytrain doesn't stop raining on Yu Suzuki. In order to have the same budget as Shenmue 2, which was about $40 million, the KS would need to earn literally $1.3 million a day, or $54k/hr.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Tue 16 Jun 12:07]

Maou
2809th Post

"Re(1):that was some showing at Sony's" , posted Tue 16 Jun 12:16:post reply

quote:
The Last Guardian
Hahaha what okay. Are they pulling a Square-Enix? Is anyone from Team Ico still around?

Speaking of Square-Enix:
quote:
new Final Fantasy 7: Yoshinori Kitase will serve as producer and Tetsuya Nomura will serve as director
This guarantees that people with bad taste will get exactly the remake they deserve. I guess there finally was no longer any choice but total pandering once they realized that XV was on the brink of its first decade.

And speaking of decades: poor Suzuki might need to remake Shenmue 1 and 2 just so people can remember what the hell is going on, fourteen years later. Or just "New Shenmue" and ball them all into one?

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 16 Jun 12:24]

Gojira
3109th Post

"Re(2):that was some showing at Sony's" , posted Tue 16 Jun 12:58post reply

quote:
The Last GuardianHahaha what okay. Are they pulling a Square-Enix? Is anyone from Team Ico still around?

Ueda was sitting in the audience. At least Sony bought him a ticket!

In all seriousness, I didn't see anything at Sony's conference that I disliked. Last Guardian looked great for a second-gen PS3 title, Horizon looked interesting, new Hitman I'm into it, SF5 definitely (and the PS4 beta starts next month already, wow). FF7 is nowhere near my favorite RPG but it's not my most hated FF either so I would totally play a remake.

It would have been cooler if Shenmue 3 was actually a done deal instead of a Kickstarter, but I will take what I can get. I just hope Suzuki still remembers what he wanted to do with the story.

All in all Sony gave us all a conference that nobody would have believed even if someone leaked everything in advance, and that's probably a good thing.

Loona
880th Post

"Re(1):that was some showing at Sony's" , posted Tue 16 Jun 17:29post reply

quote:
- an actual FF7 remake announcement (it must've taken a saintly amount of self-control to not say "please be excited" before the video rolled)

I can't bring myself to care too much about a FF7 remake, although I guess I'm curious to see how they'll handle Cloud in drag, and maybe all those forgettable random encounter monsters which could get away with looking silly because they were filler on the way to get to Sephiroth.
The way I see it, and a game/RPG, FF7's interesting features were the fact that it's the player character giving the tutorial to NPCs, that save point trap when you try to get Yuffie in your party, and maybe the amount of mini-games and a quadruped party member...

...!!

neo0r0chiaku
45th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):that was some showing at Sony's" , posted Tue 16 Jun 23:17post reply

quote:
On the list of things I did not expect to see:
- The Last Guardian
- Yu Suzuki trying to give Shenmue 3 another go, for real

I'm still not sure how excited I should be, given that Shenmue 3 is just an announcement of a kickstarter (that is about as teaser of a teaser of a possiblity as I've seen), but I'm still happier knowing that Yu Suzuki is going to try to make Shenmue 3 for real than knowing Yu Suzuki is languishing away making meh mobile games that ride on the license of a greater property he made.

Shenmue 3's kickstarter has been up for maybe 2 hours and has >$830k, I'm hoping the moneytrain doesn't stop raining on Yu Suzuki. In order to have the same budget as Shenmue 2, which was about $40 million, the KS would need to earn literally $1.3 million a day, or $54k/hr.

I concur on Shenmue 3 and pledge my support for this game indeed!!!!!!

Long Live!

Ishmael
5194th Post

"Re(2):that was some showing at Sony's" , posted Wed 17 Jun 01:12post reply

Ha, wading through the internet's reaction to E3 this year was like reading Grandpa's Facebook feed! Blinkered nostalgia combined with crotchety complaining about the kids today with their high resolution screens and analog sticks made for quite a mix.

While I knew the stars were going to eventually align and bring back FFVII I'm still having trouble processing the idea that Shenmue is probably going to rise from it's grave. I wish it luck but I don't know if the audience for the game has managed to grow since Shenmue 2 came out all those years ago.

As for me I was pleasantly surprised by how many games there were that didn't look like they would be genre defining epics but would simply be fun. Examples:

For Honor looked like you simply run around with a sword and hack up everything in sight. That's a simple pleasure I enjoy so I'll probably enjoy that game even if it does turn out to be junk.

Mirror's Edge decision to be open world without any guns for Faith sounds terrific. I may do nothing more than hop all around the city until I get vertigo but it will be satisfying.

I'm not a rabid Star Wars fan and I didn't hear good things about the older Battlefront games but the latest previews make the new SW:B look fun. Again, it all may fall apart in the end but a game that lets me play as some Greedo-looking motherfucker with a jetpack is something that I want to investigate.

Spoon
2922th Post

"NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Wed 17 Jun 02:31:post reply

WHO EVEN FUNDED THIS WHY DOES THIS EXIST WHO EVEN CARES IT WILL SELL LIKE ONE COPY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT

day 0 zero purchase gg sony

I have just realized that Sony and Square and Platinum have together played the greatest sequence of expectation-killing lowballs in history.

Sony throws TLG out there like no big thing.

FF7 "remake" (Please be excited!) which everybody rolled their eyes at... segues into the real FF7 remake announcement.

Platinum announces a meh Transformers game on the heels of all of Kamiya's "I am so excited" tweets and the official tweet from the MGR guy saying "I'm not working on a new MGR", which left everybody cold.... and then Nier 2.

Point on which I am quite ignorant: why does Yosuke Saito list Astronoka as one of the titles he is famous for in the Nier 2 reveal? I am unfamiliar with that title.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Wed 17 Jun 02:38]

Ishmael
5196th Post

"Re(1):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Wed 17 Jun 02:42post reply

NIER 2 WHAT IS GOING ON

nobinobita
1423th Post

"Re(2):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Wed 17 Jun 03:37post reply

quote:
NIER 2 WHAT IS GOING ON

After Shenmue 3, all bets are off.
DREAMS COME TRUE. Magic is in the air!

www.art-eater.com

sfried
861th Post

Wii: NNID:sfried

"Re(3):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Wed 17 Jun 05:19post reply

Fatal Frame V coming to US. Why they didn't announce this in the Direct is beyond all comprehension...

In other news, Platinum Games is behind eveything apparently:
-Star Fox/Project Guard
-Nier 2
-Scalebound
-Transformers

karasu
1507th Post

"Re(4):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Wed 17 Jun 08:05post reply

quote:

In other news, Platinum Games is behind eveything apparently:
-Star Fox/Project Guard
-Nier 2
-Scalebound
-Transformers

I'm in an unusual position of wanting to play some games from franchises I'm not that interested in solely based on the strength of Platinum Games. Good times!

quote:

I'm guessing that post-Mighty No. 9, a lot of publishers have realized that they can clean up surfing the nostalgia wave. Good for fans of all these series!

Other than all the Platinum Games news, I'm particularly happy to hear about Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, the latest in a series that's inexplicably become a favorite of mine. I'm weirded out (in a good way) that someone at Nintendo great the idea of actually having two Marios etc. in the game instead of just mashing up the play styles (which is what I expected before watching the trailer).

I'll mention that I was secretly gleeful to learn that with all the good feelings surrounding E3 people have still taken the time to rage out about Metroid Prime: Federation Force!

Freeter
4638th Post

"Re(5):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Wed 17 Jun 08:20post reply

quote:

I'm guessing that post-Mighty No. 9, a lot of publishers have realized that they can clean up surfing the nostalgia wave. Good for fans of all these series!

*waits for Bare Knuckle Kickstarter*

karasu
1508th Post

"Re(6):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Wed 17 Jun 08:22post reply

quote:

Totally. How many years has it been since Sega shut down the fan remake project?

Mosquiton
2045th Post

"Re(3):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Wed 17 Jun 08:54post reply

quote:
NIER 2 WHAT IS GOING ON

I am very happy about this as well, would have been impossible to predict!

Kind of had to smirk after the lukewarm reception from the audience, but for people who know the names in the trailers it's super-exciting stuff. Look forward to chatting more about this project on this very board!

/ / /

neo0r0chiaku
47th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(7):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Wed 17 Jun 13:09:post reply

quote:

Totally. How many years has it been since Sega shut down the fan remake project?

Since 2011. A day after they finished the final version. I still play it to this day. Music is awesome! We need it(a new SOR) badly. Who knows, we may all turn into a skeletons waiting for it! haha

Long Live!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Wed 17 Jun 13:12]

karasu
1510th Post

"Re(8):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Wed 17 Jun 13:32post reply

quote:

Since 2011. A day after they finished the final version. I still play it to this day. Music is awesome! We need it(a new SOR) badly. Who knows, we may all turn into a skeletons waiting for it! haha

The difficulty is that we don't want it to turn out like the last, 3D Final Fight

Spoon
2923th Post

"Re(9):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Thu 18 Jun 03:25post reply

quote:

The difficulty is that we don't want it to turn out like the last, 3D Final Fight

Arguably the SoR we wanted Sega already made years ago, and it was Spikeout (but it lacked the totally cool support guy with the totally cool guns). But wait, remember how Spikeout got an Xbox followup, and that ended Spikeout forever? :(

For those FFV job festa fiends:
Nomura spitballing FFV and FFVI HD remakes.
I've always wondered what the ideal animated/interactive version of Amano's art should look like. The Heavensward models are great, but in typical 3D or physically based 3D rendering styles, the results seem... too "solid" to me and don't quite capture the ethereal quality of his art.

neo0r0chiaku
47th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(10):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Thu 18 Jun 03:53post reply

quote:

Arguably the SoR we wanted Sega already made years ago, and it was Spikeout (but it lacked the totally cool support guy with the totally cool guns). But wait, remember how Spikeout got an Xbox followup, and that ended Spikeout forever? :(

I've always wondered what the ideal animated/interactive version of Amano's art should look like. The Heavensward models are great, but in typical 3D or physically based 3D rendering styles, the results seem... too "solid" to me and don't quite capture the ethereal quality of his art.

hhhmmm ....interesting....have not come across this before. I curious and will check this out. Also, I thought Fighting Force was suppose to be the next-gen (at the time) new SOR game? I may be wrong, I think the developers of SOR was involved and something happen behind the scenes that they decided not to name the game SOR.

Long Live!

Maou
2811th Post

"Nomura tentacles" , posted Thu 18 Jun 04:48:post reply

quote:
You keep your filthy hands off of VI, Nomura, or I am calling the police!
quote:
“Considering that we have remakes of Final Fantasy up to IV and then we have VII — I’ve been working with Mr. [Yoshinori] Kitase since Final Fantasy V, and we’ve noticed that V and VI are missing. That bothers me,” Nomura said. “How come we skipped over those two?”
Because its creators and lesser staff were hoping your baleful, Sauron-like eye wouldn't fix upon them and ruin them? That explains why the iphone versions were so robustly terrible, low-budget, and ugly: throw him off the scent!

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 18 Jun 04:49]

badoor
424th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Thu 18 Jun 09:03post reply

This is an insane E3 full of the most improbable announcements. But I think the NieR 2 one may be the most crazy of them all. I have no idea what sort of deal-with-the-devil Taro Yoko has to not only make a new Nier, but to also have it be developed by Platinum Games (and have Akihiko Yoshida do the art, along with Keiichi Okabe as a returning composer). I heard that Nier had a decent sales resurgence after word-of-mouth lead to people buying it long after it was released (I'm not sure how well Drag-On Dragoon/Drakengard 3 performed though), but doing a full-fledged PS4 sequel? Not even Dragon Quest got that privilege, let alone countless other Square-Enix franchises besides Final Fantasy, not Parasite Eve, or Mana, or SaGa. I don't even see reasoning in how the Square-Enix upper mgmt agreed on this. Like I don't think even the most devoted NieR fans ever asked for a sequel because the most devoted NieR fans are probably too nihilistic and cynical to even consider the possibility of a sequel (that's what I thought at least. But man am I glad now, haha).

There's also the Platinum Games side, who are now almost single-handedly saving the JP game industry by developing/co-developing 4 games, which is insane amount of effort to do in any era, let alone this generation of +$100 million budget AAA games that take years to make. Granted, only one of them is a fully original game (which is Scalebound), but having to agree on so many projects at once is suicidal. I seriously hope the employees there get their benefits, and I also hope that having the studio be overworked so much won't affect the quality of any of their titles.

But back on Nier, I actually think having Platinum on may be overdelivering. I don't think NieR ever needed intense combat filled with juggle-combos, last-moment dodges, or mastering parries. The combat just needs to be competent and engaging enough to help players get thru the game and experience the world and the story. It should not be the focus at all. And looking at some of the news out, it seems Platinum understands that, which is great. I suppose Square-Enix could have hired another developer to do it, but I don't think there are any independent JP studios left.

Spoon
2926th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Thu 18 Jun 09:30:post reply

Alternatively, they just decided to make the best single player game of all time in every aspect. Bayonetta has an easy mode, after all, because the people at platinum acknowledged in one of the posts on their site that the heart of Bayonetta isn't about mastering difficult combos, but about feeling cool/stylish/powerful. They absolutely know how to make a game contain extreme mechanical complexity as well as how to restrain it.

There's a certain flavor to the game being awkward, which Yoko Taro himself acknowledges:
" "The way I look at original Nier is like your mom's home cooking: it may not be the best, but it's okay, you're comfortable with it. Members of the media told me the original Nier is like a puppy someone threw out. It's cute in a way, but there's something wrong in a sense, and you can't help but love it even though there's something missing and you can't put your finger on it.

"But now we're working with Platinum games, and with Yoshida and Okabe, and we feel we have these great ingredients now. Is it going to be too perfect? We have all these great chefs, if you will, working together, and now, is it going to be missing that thing that made it so endearing to our fans? But after thinking about it, we think, we're just going to try it and see how it goes.""

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 18 Jun 09:34]

karasu
1511th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Thu 18 Jun 09:36post reply

quote:
You keep your filthy hands off of VI, Nomura, or I am calling the police!

Ohhhhh, and V too, I feel as though I'm watching a terrible 70's slasher movie and yelling at the screen to make sure poor FFV turns on the light before entering the room DON'T YOU KNOW NOMURA'S IN THERE!!!
quote:
This is an insane E3 full of the most improbable announcements. But I think the NieR 2 one may be the most crazy of them all. I have no idea what sort of deal-with-the-devil Taro Yoko has to not only make a new Nier, but to also have it be developed by Platinum Games (and have Akihiko Yoshida do the art, along with Keiichi Okabe as a returning composer). I heard that Nier had a decent sales resurgence after word-of-mouth lead to people buying it long after it was released (I'm not sure how well Drag-On Dragoon/Drakengard 3 performed though), but doing a full-fledged PS4 sequel? Not even Dragon Quest got that privilege, let alone countless other Square-Enix franchises besides Final Fantasy, not Parasite Eve, or Mana, or SaGa. I don't even see reasoning in how the Square-Enix upper mgmt agreed on this. Like I don't think even the most devoted NieR fans ever asked for a sequel because the most devoted NieR fans are probably too nihilistic and cynical to even consider the possibility of a sequel (that's what I thought at least. But man am I glad now, haha).

With the coming of the FFVII remake, all bets are clearly off in the world. Can God Hand 2 be far behind?

Seriously though, having Platinum handle the game means it may end up being less of a complete oddity and more of an actual fun game in addition to being entirely nuts. It makes me think that Drakengard 3 handled by Platinum would have been INCREDIBLE.

sfried
862th Post

Wii: NNID:sfried

"Re(69):Meanwhile in ATLUSland" , posted Thu 18 Jun 10:36post reply

I don't mind a remake of FFVI, but Nomura spearheading it seems like a recipe for disaster.

That said, though I wasn't too fond of it at first, I guess I'll slowly warming up to what they're trying to present Genei Ibun Roku #FE as. Still intrigued by it though...

HokutoAndy
90th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Re(69):Meanwhile in ATLUSland" , posted Thu 18 Jun 15:00post reply

quote:
I don't mind a remake of FFVI, but Nomura spearheading it seems like a recipe for disaster.

Shadow and Setzer were among my favorite characters in FFVI though. Shadow's past being delivered through dreams was a really cool hidden gem. So if he does helm a FFVI remake I wouldn't mind if he elaborated on the backstory of the characters he created.

nobinobita
1424th Post

"Re(7):Re(69):Meanwhile in ATLUSland" , posted Thu 18 Jun 15:07post reply

quote:

That said, though I wasn't too fond of it at first, I guess I'll slowly warming up to what they're trying to present Genei Ibun Roku #FE as. Still intrigued by it though...

Nomura was actually a crucial part of the original crew on FF6. It was a very interesting production where certain people took responsibility for specific characters. Nomura created Shadow and Setzer and their story arcs. He also storyboarded the various story sequences.

Also he designed the incredibly iconic and grandiose Tower of Gods for the final boss battle:

pencil sketch
sprite

I can understand why some people don't like certain things he's worked on, but he's actually a very skilled, talented artist with incredible range. Amongst his huge body of work I'm certain there's something that every one of us on this board can like.

I mean, look at these FFVI sketches! They're really good!

I think he's actually at his best when he's working under other superior artists like Amano or Takayuki Takeya. He has been quite humble in adapting their work and bowing down to their superior design skills.

I think if he headlines FFVI he'll actually try to uphold Amano's incredible visual legacy. I don't think he's arrogant enough to try to efface it with his own stamp, he'll work with it.

I know it's easy to hate on Nomura cos he's not as amazing as say Amano or Terada or other super world class artists, but I think he's a very solid artist in his won right, and I really respect SquareEnix for consistently putting their visual artists in the spotlight.

www.art-eater.com

HokutoAndy
91th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):NIER 2 BY PLATINUM" , posted Thu 18 Jun 15:08post reply

quote:

With the coming of the FFVII remake, all bets are clearly off in the world. Can God Hand 2 be far behind?

That Shenmue III can get kickstarted makes me wonder if they could pull off the same with God Hand.

Maou
2812th Post

"Nomurest" , posted Thu 18 Jun 16:29:post reply

quote:
Nomura created Shadow and Setzer and their story arcs. He also storyboarded the various story sequences.

Also he designed the incredibly iconic and grandiose Tower of Gods for the final boss battle

The Super Nobi Bros. actually make a good point that Nomura contributed some important sub-characters and good monster designs, even if he by all reports didn't even "get" Setzer enough to avoid turning him into a royal jackass in Kingdom Hearts. And while he's literally not on the same planet as an artist where Amano is concerned, he's certainly a highly competent comic-style illustrator. (The last boss in VI is great, though it's a direct nod to Dante and Pieta.)

...but that's about as far as it goes. Rank garbage like Advent Children of course dispels any notion that he has talent beyond the drawing canvas. Vignette-centered, self-contained characters like Shadow and Setzer work well...they are in a sense light sketches, and very well-designed. But a clever designer's sense is not as comprehensive as a clever writer's sense, and it shows. He reminds me of Kato Masato, scriptwriter for Chrono Trigger under the very clear direction of Horii and Sakaguchi. Under good supervision, there is stuff to work with, but given free rein, you're left with self-important, self-indulgent claptrap and psychobabble like Chrono Cross (and Xenogears, if I'm feeling mean, though I still kind of love it). Nomura's quite similar, as I've said before of his art when under Sakaguchi's eye, and I suppose also with Setzer and Shadow.
quote:
God Hand remake
Then and now, the challenge is that the average citizen isn't aware of how much he NEEDS God Hand. Sort of like how we need oxygen. It's so obvious that no one notices. I think the entire God Hand kickstarter should just be a link to Tim's five minute God Hand review guitar riff, on infinite loop.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 18 Jun 16:59]

Spoon
2927th Post

"NI-OHrest?" , posted Fri 19 Jun 02:04:post reply

Supposedly this says that Ni-Oh is not only still in development, but that they'd like to show something of it sometime this year?

If so this sounds like the year of the apocalypse. Four Horsemen will have come! (TLG, FF7, Shenmue, Ni-Oh)

[this message was edited by Spoon on Fri 19 Jun 02:05]

Professor
4302th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Persona5 Shibbuy... oh wait" , posted Thu 25 Jun 11:37post reply

One of the things that I'm digging about the new Persona game is that it's based on actual locations in Shibuya, very much like SquareEnix's "The world Ends with You"

Latest trailer though, I noticed it has a location in Shinjuku as well. Though it's part of an animation featured as a train cutscene, it does make me wonder if other locations than Shibuya might be in the game.

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/imageboard/file/p5newtrailer.jpg

Ishmael
5206th Post

"I see..." , posted Thu 2 Jul 03:15post reply

Ryo's original English voice actor is coming back to Shenmue 3. The world of Shenmue was absurdly detailed but Ryo often felt like he was one step out of sync with it all and his odd English dub helped add to his dim-bulb charm.

Another day, another update to Basara. How is Basara 4? On the surface it looks insane as usual but how is it compared to previous entries in the series?

Iggy
9935th Post

"Re(1):I see..." , posted Thu 2 Jul 03:37post reply

quote:
Another day, another update to Basara. How is Basara 4? On the surface it looks insane as usual but how is it compared to previous entries in the series?

I felt Basara 4 was good but flawed by its stage selection, and I was hoping for much more to be added later on.
Unfortunately, it only received expensive DLC costumes, and the Sumeragi edition only adds 3 stages on top of more characters.
Utage is still the best game for me, the only way Sumeragi could beat would be if the PS4 version has more ennemies on screen, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
If you skipped 4, then imagine Sumeragi is similar to Utage with different stages, you get something like 12 new characters, some existing characters got changed, and you get many new systems. Not bad at all, I just expected more.

I was just thinking that I feel the series also hit a new wall: it now has too many characters for its own good, but it cannot get rid of them.
If 5 is the same as 3 and 4, only with a couple of new faces and Ranmaru/Nohime/Zabii/Itsuki/Hojo returning, it won't feel like a huge improvement. 15 new characters is a big deal when you have 20 in the base game, not when you have over 40...
And on the other hand, if 5 is build-up from the ground with a non-PS2 engine, looks good, but sacks half of the cast, I don't see it working either. Maybe they should call it a day there.
On the other hand, Musou is fine with their ever-expanding cast and the formula hasn't changed either, so maybe they'll be fine too.

Olivier Hague
183th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):I see..." , posted Thu 2 Jul 16:56post reply

quote:
the Sumeragi edition only adds 3 stages

6 stages.
(you and numbers!)

Gojira
3113th Post

"PXZ2 trailer" , posted Thu 2 Jul 18:48post reply

I guess it's time for the traditional PXZ2 trailer that shows so much of everything that you have to wonder if there will be anything left to see in the actual game.

Iggy
9936th Post

"Re(1):PXZ2 trailer" , posted Thu 2 Jul 19:10post reply

quote:
I guess it's time for the traditional PXZ2 trailer that shows so much of everything that you have to wonder if there will be anything left to see in the actual game.

I'm surprised by the low amount of bounce and unnecessary cleavage provided by the female characters. Has someone at Banpresto decided to acquire good taste or something? But then, will there be anything noteworthy left in the game after that?

quote:
6 stages.
(you and numbers!)

Hey, that's not too bad. It's still half of the correct number, so I'm at least half right.

Loona
887th Post

"Re(1):PXZ2 trailer" , posted Thu 2 Jul 20:42post reply

quote:

I like what I see, although I'm beginning to worry if this is the final cast, considering how long the video is. Highlights:

- Felicia's assist attack has her blinking colorfully like in the ES version of her special, then using the Blanka electric special from Gem Fighter Mini-Mix

- Dante and Ulala have guitar-playing attacks - he has that as part of a multi-target super before, but it's still neat to make it more common

- I guess the new girl with the vehicle is an original character? I wonder if the vehicle will one day tie with the SRW games if that's the case...

- a special edition has a version of Legend of Valkyrie, but starring Xiaomu? I hope that's localized too... It's even funnier consider her and Valkyrie were both guests characters in Brave Company, which was reference in the intro they share in PXZ1

- the video showed a slow-down feature, which should help with timing juggles, but I couldn't tell if it was triggered by the player or acivated automatically...

- Axel! I just wish they'd shown his full sequence, but it seems he starts with his specials, and then goes on to do his regular combo from behind the opponent... no finisher yet though, althuough the bazooka from SoR1 would be neat, he he's starting witht he SoR2 specials...

...!!

Spoon
2940th Post

"Red Ash.... Re Dash?" , posted Fri 3 Jul 03:02post reply

It's totally not a young Teisel Bonne there.

Comcept and by extension Inafune making a game that's totally not Rockman Dash. That the name "Red Ash" can be adjusted to say "Re Dash" has been pointed out by pretty much everybody. The lankiness of the characters reminds me of.... something. Maybe the BOF: Dragon Quarter art? I dunno.

Lord SNK
70th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Red Ash.... Re Dash?" , posted Fri 3 Jul 06:03:post reply

quote:

Comcept and by extension Inafune making a game that's totally not Rockman Dash. That the name "Red Ash" can be adjusted to say "Re Dash" has been pointed out by pretty much everybody. The lankiness of the characters reminds me of.... something. Maybe the BOF: Dragon Quarter art? I dunno.

"The indelible legend"?

[this message was edited by Lord SNK on Fri 3 Jul 06:04]

Ishmael
5209th Post

"Re(2):Red Ash.... Re Dash?" , posted Sat 4 Jul 01:33post reply

Thanks for the Basara impressions Iggy. It sounds like it may not be a gigantic change to the series but it could be a decent time waster of an import.

quote:
On the other hand, Musou is fine with their ever-expanding cast and the formula hasn't changed either, so maybe they'll be fine too.

The Musou games prove that innovation is overrated -and I'm not saying that as a negative- so if Basara decided to do the whole thing over again it would probably do quite well for itself.

quote:
"The indelible legend"?

I guess they wanted to reference both the Rockman Dash and MegaMan Legends titles in the trailer. It was really clunky but making awkward references to other games seems to be Comcept's stock and trade.

Gojira
3115th Post

"Zero Time Dilemma" , posted Sat 4 Jul 13:14post reply

This year just keeps getting better

Interesting how the game has forgone a JP release announcement, though no word yet on whether Nishimura is still the character designer.

badoor
427th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Zero Time Dilemma" , posted Sat 4 Jul 17:14:post reply

quote:
This year just keeps getting better

Interesting how the game has forgone a JP release announcement, though no word yet on whether Nishimura is still the character designer.

I hope Nishimura is back as a designer. But I'm not surprised about the no-JP release announcement since the series always did better in international markets than in JP. In fact, from what I heard, 999 & VLR already did enough to warrant a sequel, but Chunsoft mgmt (before their merger with Spike) didn't want a sequel to be made if it didn't sell well in its home country, regardless of international sales.

And I think things have changed a lot for Spike Chunsoft since 2012. And I feel the huge success of Danganronpa (by the Spike half of Spike Chunsoft), both in JP and especially in the west, may have helped change their mind about the prospects of a sequel, even if it is mainly just for international markets, with a perfunctory JP release. The same thing is happening for Project X Zone 2, a title that's solely exists because of the success of the first game in western markets.

[this message was edited by badoor on Sat 4 Jul 17:18]

Lord SNK
71th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Zero Time Dilemma" , posted Sun 5 Jul 20:50:post reply

Apparently, this is the first artwork of Zero Escape 3
link

I don't know who is the artist, but I really hope that they keep Kinu Nishimura for the character designs.
I really love her works and her style.

[this message was edited by Lord SNK on Sun 5 Jul 20:51]

badoor
429th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Zero Time Dilemma" , posted Mon 6 Jul 15:29post reply

quote:
link

I don't know who is the artist, but I really hope that they keep Kinu Nishimura for the character designs.

I think it was confirmed that Kinu Nishimura will NOT be returning to do Zero Escape 3, which is a big shame. She's one of my favorite artists and I loved her character designs. And I loved that the sprites in 999 were closely based on her artstyle. And even though I think VLR is the better game, the 3D models there definitely lost Nishimura's sensibilities in the transition.

Gojira
3116th Post

"Re(4):Zero Time Dilemma" , posted Mon 6 Jul 19:27post reply

While I'm disappointed that Nishimura reportedly isn't involved in this one, honestly it's not a deal-breaker for me. Nishimura never felt inextricably linked to the series like she could have been. Her character art was often more like a caricature than what the actual character in the game was, especially in VLR where they seemed to be going off a completely different design aesthetic, with only the outfits providing any 1:1 comparison with the character art.

Just hope the new artist works out. That first sample is kind of hard to judge since it's so dark.

Professor
4310th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Zero Time Dilemma" , posted Tue 7 Jul 10:31post reply

quote:
link

I think it was confirmed that Kinu Nishimura will NOT be returning to do Zero Escape 3, which is a big shame. She's one of my favorite artists and I loved her character designs. And I loved that the sprites in 999 were closely based on her artstyle. And even though I think VLR is the better game, the 3D models there definitely lost Nishimura's sensibilities in the transition.

That's heartbreaking! I haven't tried VLR yet but as a lover for adventure and novel-type games, I enjoyed 999 a lot. I'll miss Kinu's style, but hopefully this new sequel won't be spinning off to a different direction in that sense.

Ishmael
5214th Post

"Re(1):Red Ash.... Re Dash?" , posted Wed 8 Jul 01:12post reply

quote:

I wonder how well the not-Dash Kickstarter will do now that the Mighty No.9 live action movie has been announced. From the Kickstarters to the television shows to the movies to the games that may eventually be released, this whole thing is an elaborate hustle by Inafune, isn't it?

karasu
1513th Post

"PSN >> Steam" , posted Wed 8 Jul 08:45post reply

Since Sony has been laughably slow in bringing some of their PS1 games to PSN, it's interesting to see that a few are coming to Steam pretty soon, which is the last thing I expected. I know that rights are one of the not insignificant reasons stuff doesn't make it to PSN, but since a lot of the games would require almost no effort I've never quite understood what the holdup is.

Also, while we're at it, let me complain about the PSP Star Ocean games not being available on PSN either. It's a real drag to have to dig put my PSP and make sure it's charged before playing things like that.

Ishmael
5215th Post

"Re(1):PSN >> Steam" , posted Wed 8 Jul 22:48post reply

Mobile Light Force lives! I'm glad to see older games continue to be available but in some cases they are being rather generous with the term "classics."

Maou
2829th Post

"Itoi sez: Mother 1 abroad" , posted Thu 9 Jul 01:44post reply

Did we already talk about how Mother 1 was finally announced for an international release? It seems significant.

The incredibly high quality of Itoi's copywriting skills alone (you know them from Ghibli advertisements, of course) makes me ashamed never to have really played any of the Mother games.

Spoon
2946th Post

"Re(1):Itoi sez: Mother 1 abroad" , posted Thu 9 Jul 02:06post reply

quote:

The incredibly high quality of Itoi's copywriting skills alone (you know them from Ghibli advertisements, of course) makes me ashamed never to have really played any of the Mother games.

Does he write copy for the print/TV/trailers? And does he do so just for the Japanese promotional materials, or also for the English ones?

Any particularly good examples I should refer to?

Maou
2830th Post

"Re(2):Itoi sez: Mother 1 abroad" , posted Thu 9 Jul 02:25post reply

quote:
Does he write copy for the print/TV/trailers?

Any particularly good examples I should refer to?

He writes the arrestingly brilliant poster copy you see on most Ghibli (Japanese) posters. These are short but extremely evocative lines, befitting of a great writer. Everyone remembers them, years later.

Totoro:
「このへんないきものは まだ日本にいるのです。たぶん。」
"These strange creatures are still found in Japan. Probably."

Kiki:
「おちこんだりもしたけれど、私はげんきです。」
"Sometimes I feel blue, but I'm doing well."

Porco Rosso:
「カッコイイとは、こういうことさ。」
"This here is what 'cool' means."

Whisper of the Heart:
「好きなひとが、できました。」
"I found someone I like."

Mononoke:
「生きろ。」
"Live!"
(Reference to the line "Live! For ye are beautiful.")

Spirited Away:
「トンネルのむこうは、不思議の町でした。」
"Beyond the tunnel, there was a mysterious town." (Snow Country allusion)

karasu
1517th Post

"Re(1):Itoi sez: Mother 1 abroad" , posted Thu 9 Jul 06:47post reply

quote:
Did we already talk about how Mother 1 was finally announced for an international release? It seems significant.

I believe it's actually already out-- I thin Nobi was talking about it with me elsewhere, if I recall correctly. I only have a passing familiarity with Mother 1, having tried to play it a few years back, I'll admit I got a little bored with it. From what everyone's told me, it was essentially a proving ground for everything that Mother 2/Earthbound became. And I had some mighty fine times playing it over the years. Here's hoping Mother 3 gets translated!

In other news, I saw this earlier today on Facebook in Akiman's feed, of all places, and thought it was funny and completely in character for Kamiya. It's especially hilarious to me in light of the reverent, worshipful tones reserved for discussing Inafune, Megaman, and Might No. 9 by other denizens of Facebook.

neo0r0chiaku
56th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Itoi sez: Mother 1 abroad" , posted Thu 9 Jul 08:54post reply

quote:

In other news, I saw this earlier today on Facebook in Akiman's feed, of all places, and thought it was funny and completely in character for Kamiya. It's especially hilarious to me in light of the reverent, worshipful tones reserved for discussing Inafune, Megaman, and Might No. 9 by other denizens of Facebook.

Well, if no one is going to give us what we want then some one has to do it. It is Capcom fault for not doing that. But then, its always a money thing. I am pretty sure Capcom is pissed now that the money will flow with Mighty No. 9 and they can not benefit or profit if they were to make another Megaman game.

Long Live!

Loona
889th Post

"Re(2):Itoi sez: Mother 1 abroad" , posted Thu 9 Jul 17:40post reply

quote:

I believe it's actually already out-- I thin Nobi was talking about it with me elsewhere, if I recall correctly. I only have a passing familiarity with Mother 1, having tried to play it a few years back, I'll admit I got a little bored with it. From what everyone's told me, it was essentially a proving ground for everything that Mother 2/Earthbound became. And I had some mighty fine times playing it over the years. Here's hoping Mother 3 gets translated!

Here's a more complete version of that Twitter topic by Kamiya.

Having read a few things about Inafune wasn't exactly involved with Rockman from the very start, yet heavily latched himself to the series to the point that no other names are easily associated with it, this is at least refreshing to see considering how enamored some corners of the net are enamored with the guy and MN9.

...!!

Ishmael
5218th Post

"Re(3):Itoi sez: Mother 1 abroad" , posted Thu 9 Jul 23:49post reply

quote:

Well, if no one is going to give us what we want then some one has to do it. It is Capcom fault for not doing that. But then, its always a money thing. I am pretty sure Capcom is pissed now that the money will flow with Mighty No. 9 and they can not benefit or profit if they were to make another Megaman game.

Conversely, Capcom might look at the bungled mess that is the Red Ash Kickstarter and decide they might the right call when they canned MML3.

karasu
1518th Post

"Re(4):Itoi sez: Mother 1 abroad" , posted Fri 10 Jul 00:17post reply

quote:

Having read a few things about Inafune wasn't exactly involved with Rockman from the very start, yet heavily latched himself to the series to the point that no other names are easily associated with it, this is at least refreshing to see considering how enamored some corners of the net are enamored with the guy and MN9.

I of course don't wish Inafune any ill-- I'm happy he succeeded with MN9. I just personally disagree with the direction it has gone in. Namely, "don't innovate, don't deviate from any of the conventions of a genre that's 25 years old". As far as I can see MN9 does exactly that, down to choices of names and colors. The most innovative thing about it is that it was (partially) funded on Kickstarter.

I think I'm probably laying too much on Inafune by expecting him to be any kind of agent for change-- the demand existed in a big way for the exact same game being served up one more time with a slightly different coat of paint, so he wisely just went for it.

quote:

Conversely, Capcom might look at the bungled mess that is the Red Ash Kickstarter and decide they might the right call when they canned MML3.

I'm surprised that it's had such a lukewarm reception. Maybe it's just that the insanely loud group of people screaming about MML3's cancellation was smaller than I thought.

neo0r0chiaku
57th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Itoi sez: Mother 1 abroad" , posted Fri 10 Jul 02:01post reply

quote:

I of course don't wish Inafune any ill-- I'm happy he succeeded with MN9. I just personally disagree with the direction it has gone in. Namely, "don't innovate, don't deviate from any of the conventions of a genre that's 25 years old". As far as I can see MN9 does exactly that, down to choices of names and colors. The most innovative thing about it is that it was (partially) funded on Kickstarter.

I think I'm probably laying too much on Inafune by expecting him to be any kind of agent for change-- the demand existed in a big way for the exact same game being served up one more time with a slightly different coat of paint, so he wisely just went for it.

I'm surprised that it's had such a lukewarm reception. Maybe it's just that the insanely loud group of people screaming about MML3's cancellation was smaller than I thought.

Well.....Capcom decided to do this for us megaman fans. Or more like us ex-megaman fans turn Might No.9 fans ha ha ha.....
http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/en_US/pd/productID.320862300?resid=VZ6oxAoydhEAANInLEgAAADH&rests=1436461024698

Long Live!

Maou
2835th Post

"Re(5):Itoi sez: Mother 1 abroad" , posted Fri 10 Jul 02:14post reply

quote:
the insanely loud group of people screaming about MML3's cancellation was smaller than I thought.

That's just it. It cross-references to the SFV thread about the illusory demand for forgotten characters in a series entry no one played: yammering on message boards (unless they're, say, somewhere huge like Neogaf and maybe not even then) just doesn't track to actual demands. Rockman Dash sold 150,000 copies in Japan and the sequel sold 70,000. Case closed.

Ishmael
5220th Post

"Re(6):Itoi sez: Mother 1 abroad" , posted Fri 10 Jul 03:41post reply

quote:
the insanely loud group of people screaming about MML3's cancellation was smaller than I thought.
That's just it. It cross-references to the SFV thread about the illusory demand for forgotten characters in a series entry no one played: yammering on message boards (unless they're, say, somewhere huge like Neogaf and maybe not even then) just doesn't track to actual demands. Rockman Dash sold 150,000 copies in Japan and the sequel sold 70,000. Case closed.

It feels like Red Ash is the perfect storm of bad ideas and poor timing. I suspect you're right that the MML fans were a small but vocal minority. As Maou noted MML was, at best, a cult game so the only thing surprising about the cancelation of MML3 was that there was any attempt to bring it back in the first place. If Red Ash is trying to build off the momentum of MN9 it's going about it the wrong way since that game isn't even out yet. It makes sense to ask the executives at a company to continue funding a brand at this point but Kickstarter has to play by different rules. By going to Kickstarter now they are asking the consumers to spend money like they were executives without seeing any of the profits or other perks that come with running a company. This isn't the chance for MegaMan fans to vocalize their frustration like the last Kickstarter, this is simply Inafune looking for a source of funding. At this point they should probably cancel the Kickstarter for the Red Ash game and anime(!) and try again later since the current proposal is a mess and the attempts at damage control are actually making things worse. The latest update is that they will bring Red Ash to one console but they won't hold the vote on which console until after the Kickstarter is over. Who thought that was a good idea? It's too bad this Kickstarter is stuck in the mud because even if it meets the minimum funding goals it's not going to be anywhere close to the game they initially proposed.

neo0r0chiaku
58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Itoi sez: Mother 1 abroad" , posted Fri 10 Jul 05:17post reply

quote:

It feels like Red Ash is the perfect storm of bad ideas and poor timing. I suspect you're right that the MML fans were a small but vocal minority. As Maou noted MML was, at best, a cult game so the only thing surprising about the cancelation of MML3 was that there was any attempt to bring it back in the first place. If Red Ash is trying to build off the momentum of MN9 it's going about it the wrong way since that game isn't even out yet. It makes sense to ask the executives at a company to continue funding a brand at this point but Kickstarter has to play by different rules. By going to Kickstarter now they are asking the consumers to spend money like they were executives without seeing any of the profits or other perks that come with running a company. This isn't the chance for MegaMan fans to vocalize their frustration like the last Kickstarter, this is simply Inafune looking for a source of funding. At this point they should probably cancel the Kickstarter for the Red Ash game and anime(!

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Makes you wonder if Comcept will actually run as a actual company or a donor contributed company where projects(video games) regardless of how bad it was, it will not fall on them nor lose money since they are getting money from fans to create. Even with that, they still get pocket change with only losing time doing what they to best. Maybe more like experimenting. Can we take them serious if they only make games by money from fans?

Long Live!

Mosquiton
2052th Post

"The Delible Legend" , posted Fri 10 Jul 16:01:post reply

quote:

It feels like Red Ash is the perfect storm of bad ideas and poor timing. I suspect you're right that the MML fans were a small but vocal minority. As Maou noted MML was, at best, a cult game so the only thing surprising about the cancelation of MML3 was that there was any attempt to bring it back in the first place. If Red Ash is trying to build off the momentum of MN9 it's going about it the wrong way since that game isn't even out yet. It makes sense to ask the executives at a company to continue funding a brand at this point but Kickstarter has to play by different rules. By going to Kickstarter now they are asking the consumers to spend money like they were executives without seeing any of the profits or other perks that come with running a company. This isn't the chance for MegaMan fans to vocalize their frustration like the last Kickstarter, this is simply Inafune looking for a source of funding...

A lot of good points here. I'm going to end up reiterating a few of them in my rant below. Even if you really love a series, you are not obligated to throw money at any project regardless of details and circumstances.

This is just conjecture on my part, but maybe the project would be doing better...

...if the project was targeting consoles right out of the gate. I understand this is a huge budget consideration, but nevertheless some people may feel like, "Huh, it's not targeting my preferred platform." That's a valid reason for not immediately handing over your cash.

...if it didn't seem like backers were funding a partial game. Without stretch goals, the game is three episodes, with Ep IV and V potentially missing in action. Is the game even complete with IV and V, or is there a missing VI and VII hidden under a later stretch goal?

...if they showed something that looked like gameplay. People like to see that. Sure, people complained when Mighty Number 9 didn't look as good as the concept footage, but not showing anything is not necessarily the smarter thing to do.

...if they didn't do a separate Kickstarter for an anime at the same time. It's just weird. This assumes that anyone who funds both would not split their pledge, but multiply it! Even if the projects are completely separate, it -feels- like asking for more.

...if Comcept and Hyde, Inc. had a rock-solid track record. Comcept's output has varied wildly... and while I assume Hyde is probably a capable "shadow developer", I don't know anything that they had worked on. How can I be confident the gameplay will turn out well?

I mean, hey. I love the Legends Series so much that I imported Misadventures of Tron Bonne (ni Kobun) to get the Mega Man Legends 2 demo disc. I was legit excited when MML3 was announced and genuinely disappointed when it was cancelled. I've played through each game at least twice.

But I didn't pledge to this wonky-ass Kickstarter yet. Sure, I'm a fan... but I'm not a martyr. While I wouldn't go so far as to say that Inafune is taking advantage of people, it certainly seems like he is taking fans for granted.

If it gets close toward the end of the campaign, I will chip in to try and carry it over, but I don't have some sort of holy obligation to pledge $300 dollars. Nobody does! If the offer isn't solid enough, you can't blame the fans for not funding it, you can only blame Inafune for failing to fund and produce a game people want to play.

Oh, and...

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

I didn't pledge to Mighty Number 9, either.

End of Spoiler

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Fri 10 Jul 16:31]

Professor
4313th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Snake VA says MGS team forced to disband" , posted Sat 11 Jul 11:46post reply

I was surprised this morning to hear that voice actor Akio Otsuka (Metal Gear Solid series' Snake) spilled that "Kojima Productions was forced into disbandment but the team worked hard and it's almost complete". He's usually very professional and rarely talks about any internal situations of his contracting companies. I can only assume that he was quite attached to the role (who wouldn't be after 17 years?)

I was also surprised that he posted it on Twitter around 5 AM this morning. He sure wakes up early.

https://twitter.com/akiootsuka

nobinobita
1435th Post

"Re(1):Snake VA says MGS team forced to disban" , posted Sat 11 Jul 12:44:post reply

quote:
I was surprised this morning to hear that voice actor Akio Otsuka (Metal Gear Solid series' Snake) spilled that "Kojima Productions was forced into disbandment but the team worked hard and it's almost complete". He's usually very professional and rarely talks about any internal situations of his contracting companies. I can only assume that he was quite attached to the role (who wouldn't be after 17 years?)

I was also surprised that he posted it on Twitter around 5 AM this morning. He sure wakes up early.

https://twitter.com/akiootsuka

Does this mean they're disbanding now? Or after they complete the game? (crossing my fingers it's not the former, double crossing fingers this is some genius marketing ploy and Kojima's greatest act of trolling ever)

*edit* They disbanded months ago right? But they're still completing the game. I guess this is news worthy cos it's confirmation that Konami forced them to disband?

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 11 Jul 13:12]

nobinobita
1436th Post

"Re(1):The Delible Legend" , posted Sat 11 Jul 13:31:post reply

quote:
Red Ash

You know, shaky Kickstarter aside, I actually like what I've seen of Red Ash so far. I thought the character concepts and world design were starting to look nice. More interesting than most games/animation I've seen in a while. When I heard it was done by Studio 4 C that was really exciting! They do some FANTASTIC work!

They have a great approach where they take on commercial projects like animating for TV shows or commercials or other studios movies, then they use that to fund their own personal projects.

For instance, Noiseman Sound Insect is one of my most favorite short films ever.

It remains to be seen if Red Ash is a personal project or a cash grab though!

I really like the idea that each episode of the anime will be like its own level in a video game helmed by a different director. My enthusiasm died down a bit when I saw it was all gonna be 3dcg though. Much of what makes Japanese animation exciting is how each director can imprint their own visual style on a project, right down to the actual drawings and movement. I'm not sure if that same level of expression can really take place when you're working with premade 3d assets. Like for instance, the appeal of Studio 4 C luminary, Tatsuyuki Tanaka, is his heartrendingly great drawing ability. How would that even begin to show through in 3d?

But then, 4C has been consistently bleeding edge for decades. I hope the project turns out well.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 11 Jul 13:38]

Professor
4314th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Snake VA says MGS team forced to disban" , posted Sat 11 Jul 21:58post reply

quote:
Does this mean they're disbanding now? Or after they complete the game? (crossing my fingers it's not the former, double crossing fingers this is some genius marketing ploy and Kojima's greatest act of trolling ever)

*edit* They disbanded months ago right? But they're still completing the game. I guess this is news worthy cos it's confirmation that Konami forced them to disband?

Here's the full Tweet-

Kojima Productions has been disbanded, but the team's been working hard and the game is almost done. Without overhyping this should be our best masterpiece! I'm just dying to say "Kept ya waiting!" lol. Even if this were to be our last game, MGS will live on forever!

It was pretty obvious from a while back that they've been disbanded, but IIRC this is the first time that a core member of the Kojima family actually confirmed it.

Ishmael
5224th Post

"Re(3):Snake VA says you should date birds" , posted Sun 12 Jul 02:13post reply

quote:
Even if you really love a series, you are not obligated to throw money at any project regardless of details and circumstances.

This is a point that needs to be brought up. I've seen any number of people who are willing to buy a mediocre game in the hopes that the company might release a good game in the future. But Kickstarter is a bottomless hole that you can throw all your money into. Being a patron of the arts is a noble endeavor but video games are by and large still a business so you should expect something in exchange for your money.

While most games are a business a few achieve the status of true art, such as Hatoful Boyfriend. I'm glad the industry has reached a state where this can be released on the PS4.

Spoon
2951th Post

"Re(4):Snake VA says you should date birds" , posted Sun 12 Jul 09:53post reply

quote:

While most games are a business a few achieve the status of true art, such as Hatoful Boyfriend. I'm glad the industry has reached a state where this can be released on the PS4.

Hatoful Boyfriend is like Metal Gear in that it is capable of being fully self-serious while simultaneous being fully ironic and self-aware.

Iggy
9947th Post

"Daigyakuten" , posted Wed 15 Jul 23:21post reply

I guess I don't need to write a big essay about Daigyakuten, since those who were interested and can actually play the game already bought it and there is no official news about a localization, so I'll keep it short.
Right now, at 9 hours of game, I'm very happy.
The game starts at full Gyakuten-speed with utterly absurd trial logic; I wouldn't have minded a more relaxed and serious start, instead of wondering whether I would have to interrogate the duck before the end of the first trial. And then, you have the usual trappings of Gyakuten, where you understood the whole thing, but the item you present is considered WRONG because what the judge really wants to know now is what the victim ate the day before he died.

I like the new hero, it feels good to play again with a real beginner. In a way, the game is not only "Gyakuten Layton as Takushu would have wanted to do it", it's also the G4 that could have been. If Odoroki had been able to escape from the shadow of Naruhodo, the game and the character could have been much different.
The new mechanics on witnesses and jury are fun; Sherlock is gleefully obnoxious and his dancing 名推理 is nothing short of amazing; London is exactly how I know it, with its cyberpunk buildings, vampire prosecutors and blokes named "Adam Feelgood" and "William Ladyfirst"; the 3D models and animations are fantastic; Takushu is having fun; long story short, I'm happy.

I wanted to talk about the DLC: there will be 8 "magazines" distributed weekly, starting next week, with a season pass to buy them all in advance. The "number 0" is available now for free, but only until the end of the week, so don't forget to download it if you have the game, because it doesn't seem like you will be able to get it later.
I quite like the concept : each magazine is a bundle of not-so interesting things (sound test for music and voices, final concept arts, 3DS themes), and some (hopefully) very curious elements. The number 0 has some rejected theme songs for the new hero, for example, something you don't get very often. There also is a feature with Takushu showing the pre-prototype he had to make in December 2013 for the bosses of Capcom, and a short story introducing the season pass. The shop insist that subsequent short stories will also be written by Takushu, in case there was any doubt that the game targets fanboys and fangals of the man.

I really hope the DLC will pay off for Capcom. First, it's a huge improvement over the Mona-Lisa logic of Gyakuten 5, as no part of the game has been cut off to sell on the side. Moreover, it allows to see making-off elements that would have been lost otherwise, except maybe in a DVD added at the last minute to an overpriced artbook.

But, then, I'm in love with Takushu, so maybe my opinion is a bit biased.

Spoon
2961th Post

"Re(1):Daigyakuten" , posted Thu 16 Jul 04:21post reply

If I have never played a Layton game beyond solving a puzzle or two of it for one of my friends, but have played all of the main entries of GS, is it worth playing Layton vs. Wright?

Spoon
2963th Post

"Sol Divide is less than $4 on Steam" , posted Thu 16 Jul 13:46post reply

Sol Divide is a game that when I first encountered in arcades I thought, "this game looks SO COOL!"

Years later when I managed to play it on PSX, it didn't seem to look quite so cool. I blame the lack of scanlines.

Anyway, the game is now on sale on steam for less than $4, so it's totally worth about 6 50cent arcade credits. I also discovered that the striking design of the characters/monsters is likely due to the presence of Nobi's favourite, Katsuya Terada, on the staff. He's like one of the first names shown in the opening cutscene.

Maou
2847th Post

"Re(1):Sol Divide is less than $4 on Steam" , posted Thu 16 Jul 13:59:post reply

quote:
I blame the lack of scanlines.
Be careful of the ancient demons you may awaken.

Speaking of Steam, I got Ori and the Blind Forest the other week on sale because I heard it was wonderful and Metroidvania-y, but I haven't played it. I bet someone at the Cafe has and can convince me! I also got Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, which is magnificent (for the hour I played) and would appeal to the artsy and Ico/Colossus fans at the Cafe (read: most of us).

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 16 Jul 14:21]

Iggy
9948th Post

"Re(2):Daigyakuten" , posted Thu 16 Jul 18:41post reply

quote:
If I have never played a Layton game beyond solving a puzzle or two of it for one of my friends, but have played all of the main entries of GS, is it worth playing Layton vs. Wright?

Let's put it that way: the more you have played GS, the more you like Naruhodo/Wright and Mayoi/Maya, the more you enjoy the narration and pace of the original games, the less likely you are to enjoy the crossover.

quote:
I also got Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, which is magnificent (for the hour I played) and would appeal to the artsy and Ico/Colossus fans at the Cafe (read: most of us).

I found the game quite nice, though a bit pretentious for what it was. I really like games were you control two characters at the same time with two sticks, like in the Animal Crossing game in Nintendo Land (No one can beat me when I play the cops)... Are there any other games on the same mechanism?

It's strange I like it so much, because I have a very hard time to play games where one stick controls the character/ship and the other the direction you're shooting at.

Spoon
2964th Post

"Re(3):Daigyakuten, old graphics" , posted Fri 17 Jul 04:26post reply

quote:
Let's put it that way: the more you have played GS, the more you like Naruhodo/Wright and Mayoi/Maya, the more you enjoy the narration and pace of the original games, the less likely you are to enjoy the crossover.

That's unfortunate. Demoted in the queue, then!

quote:

I also got Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, which is magnificent (for the hour I played) and would appeal to the artsy and Ico/Colossus fans at the Cafe (read: most of us).
I found the game quite nice, though a bit pretentious for what it was. I really like games were you control two characters at the same time with two sticks, like in the Animal Crossing game in Nintendo Land (No one can beat me when I play the cops)... Are there any other games on the same mechanism?

It's strange I like it so much, because I have a very hard time to play games where one stick controls the character/ship and the other the direction you're shooting at.

Ilo Milo I remember had something like it. I remember the old PS2 game Adventures of Cookie and Cream was like that, too, but it didn't come with any grander narrative ambitions.

quote:
ancient monsters

Good god, I have forgotten about those holy wars.

In tune with what Shovel Knight did, the game Odallus has a write up on making something new that looks like something old:
No smooth screen shaking here!

karasu
1527th Post

"Re(3):Daigyakuten" , posted Fri 17 Jul 05:32post reply

quote:
I really like games were you control two characters at the same time with two sticks, like in the Animal Crossing game in Nintendo Land (No one can beat me when I play the cops)... Are there any other games on the same mechanism?

Poto and Cabenga is quite a lot of fun, and I really like the presentation. You can play the Flash version there, but it's also on the App Store for some trivial amount.

quote:
Good god, I have forgotten about those holy wars.

In tune with what Shovel Knight did, the game Odallus has a write up on making something new that looks like something old:
No smooth screen shaking here!

It's funny to see the Ancient Cafe discussing things in a heated-yet-mild way.

Yes, I'm pretty excited about Odallus, but I'm concerned that the difficulty level is allegedly quite low. Odd as it may sound, I've always liked the high difficulty of Castlevania, Makaimura, etc.

Spoon
2965th Post

"Shanghai STG community" , posted Fri 17 Jul 13:46post reply

This is a delightful article by an STG enthusiast about a tiny, relatively unknown, and incredibly skilled/hardcore STG scene in Shanghai.