KOF & SNKP Thread 5 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (18597 Views )

Professor
2841th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Thu 14 Oct 19:39:post reply

Thread 1- Mostly chitchat Thread 2- Beta videos, music, etc Thread 3- More beta stuff
Thread 4- All info from first 3 months after the game's release - Check here for video URLs & etc.
Graphical Tidibits Channel

Game main site JP version. Full cast & trailers.
Game main site, US version. Still closed.
SNK youtube channel.

Currently proposed Ratio chart for KOFXIII (Updated --/--/2010)
Note: This may eventually be tweaked as the MMC version for use in online matches, etc.
Any change proposals are welcomed.

Max points = 5
Ratio / Character
5 K', Raiden
4 Kyo, Elisabeth, Takuma
3 Andy, Iori, Shen, Kula
2 Robert, Chin, Yuri, Maxima, Leona, Ash, Benimaru, Kim
1 Duolon, Goro, Terry, Clark, Hwa, King
0 Joe, Kensou, Athena, Ralf, Ryo, Mai, Mature, Vice

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 28 Oct 02:08]

Replies:

Just a Person
1432th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 15 Oct 11:12post reply

Sorry if this was already answered in the previous topic, but has SNKP already announced a release date for the home versions of KOF XIII? Or if they plan to add any additional content?

It looks like a nice game, but being restricted to Arcades so far prevents a lot of players from getting to know it.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Toxico
5160th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 15 Oct 11:41:post reply

quote:
Sorry if this was already answered in the previous topic, but has SNKP already announced a release date for the home versions of KOF XIII? Or if they plan to add any additional content?

Nothing of the sorts. After launch, the only official announcements for the game have been from big tournaments (The well known and Tougeki and Duelling tournaments... Well, not exactly sponsored but oh hell). Anything else hasn't been detailed. And we are sure to get another event at December with the usual "KoF new year party" and it's usual mini tournaments.

As a note, even the update was not announced officially... And that is pretty much justified since the update didn't add new content to the game (heck, if you think about it; the update was only spoken from company to arcade operators.... It's because people are such dirty minded exhibitionists that the word of it managed spread through the net).

... And I say, since when wasn't the most natural thing to hold the console release for a year or so? SNK really doesn't have to put a candy in everyone's mouth 3 times a month... Heck, 2 "official" (company involved) tournaments on a 3 months old game is just a pretty big deal, yet people speak as if they left the game to dust... Heck(mkII) Didn't they also sponsored an overseas tournament in Shangai or something? I'm not to sure.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 22 as of 27/08/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 20 as of 09/09/10

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 15 Oct 14:17]

mbisonhatclub
221th Post

PSN: hadoolket
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 15 Oct 16:01post reply

quote:
... And I say, since when wasn't the most natural thing to hold the console release for a year or so? SNK really doesn't have to put a candy in everyone's mouth 3 times a month... Heck, 2 "official" (company involved) tournaments on a 3 months old game is just a pretty big deal, yet people speak as if they left the game to dust... Heck(mkII) Didn't they also sponsored an overseas tournament in Shangai or something? I'm not to sure.

Because many of us ~casuals~ don't even have any opportunity to try out the arcade game where we live, we want another option. Hell, plenty of us were waiting for a "release" on the internet, if you know what I mean, but I'm not talking about sexually. Or maybe I am!

Bottom line is, you guys may have the benefit of living right next door to the arcades, but at least myself and quite a few others would say that we feel left out, and there's no recourse besides traveling a couple thousand miles to play the game.

Meanwhile, we're already on our way to getting Platinum in BBCS, and that's something I can play readily at homeit's something easier to talk about, though honestly, not with an indifferent audience. Otherwise, I'd love to discuss KOFXIII in greater depth than "when is the console version going to be released?" And not just glance over cell phone eroge screenshots in the meantime.

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Professor
2829th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 15 Oct 19:18:post reply

quote:
Because many of us ~casuals~ don't even have any opportunity to try out the arcade game where we live, we want another option. Hell, plenty of us were waiting for a "release" on the internet, if you know what I mean, but I'm not talking about sexually. Or maybe I am!

Bottom line is, you guys may have the benefit of living right next door to the arcades, but at least myself and quite a few others would say that we feel left out, and there's no recourse besides traveling a couple thousand miles to play the game.

Meanwhile, we're already on our way to getting Platinum in BBCS, and that's something I can play readily at homeit's something easier to talk about, though honestly, not with an indifferent audience. Otherwise, I'd love to discuss KOFXIII in greater depth than "when is the console version going to be released?" And not just glance over cell phone eroge screenshots in the meantime.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. It's unfortunate how the arcade scene outside of selected asian countries are generally non-existant. It's hardly a profitable business.

FYI, publishers nowadays usually release a home port in 6 to 8 months (JP ver).
BBCS was released in 7 months.

KOFXII took only 4 months... but it was a major exception.

In memory of everyone's Beloved KOFXIII Version 1.0- Infinite marathon by Dune

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 15 Oct 23:35]

Burning Ranger
1672th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Sun 17 Oct 03:25post reply

While I wait a few years for KOFXIII to come out, I'll try out this KOF2k2 UM out... It's finally getting a US release next month.

So much to do so little time...

Professor
2830th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Mon 18 Oct 01:19:post reply

Just a quick note on Ratio charts, they're basically meant for some local tournaments and not really for a wide-region tournament like Tougeki.
That said, here goes a different one...

Ratio Chart, Shinjuku Carnival version

* One of the main arcades attracting KOFXIII players in Tokyo.
* Chart considers character usage within Carnival and will be used for next month's tournament.

Max 4 points
4- K', Raiden
3- Andy, Shen, Kyo, Iori, Kula, Elisabeth, Takuma
2- Leona, Ash, Benimaru, Yuri, Kim, Duolon, Chin
1- Goro, Terry, Kensou, Mature, Maxima, Joe, Robert, King, Hwa, Ralf
0- Mai, Athena, Clark, Ryo, Vice

On another little tidbit, Tougeki is pretty much no holds barred. Aside from the fame, add in the fact that they offer prize money, things can get interesting since competitors hide their best techs and bugs until their time on the stage. That's why a few of the bug reports for XIII didn't pop out until rather recently; players spilled them out after the tournament since they no longer cared.

Local competitions won't ever go as far, since for one reason, they can get closed down for gambling if they offer prizes. The situation is different for Tougeki since they have sponsors and the monetary transaction is indirect, plus they don't operate under red-light district law which is what arcades are required to adhere to.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 18 Oct 02:06]

Professor
2831th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 22 Oct 01:43:post reply

SNKP has finally updated their site and it's just the info we've been wai... wait, what?
Memorization game. A new symbol comes out in each phase so click on the new one. It gets hard after a while. Promo for a side scroll STG.

On the KOF front, no new news. Opponent freeze glitch found for Raiden's anti-air so he gets a free dropkick after that. "Hey, let me free you out of the air-- dropkick smack dropkick readygo zee-end!" Conditions may not be practical though.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 22 Oct 02:10]

Ishmael
3917th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(7):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 22 Oct 02:41post reply

quote:
SNKP has finally updated their site and it's just the info we've been wai... wait, what?
Memorization game. A new symbol comes out in each phase so click on the new one. It gets hard after a while. Promo for a side scroll STG.

Miss! Miss! Goodah!

Interesting that there seems to be at least two voices for the game. I guess SNKP figured that people would be so jazzed about disc identification that they made sure there was plenty to listen to.

Spoon
2035th Post

"Re(6):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 22 Oct 07:14post reply

quote:

Max 4 points
4- K', Raiden

A peculiarity of this system is that it means choosing a 3 or 4 point character automatically forces the inclusion of a 0 point character.
Possible point combinations(not permutations):
4-0-0
3-1-0
3-0-0
2-2-0
2-1-1
2-1-0
2-0-0
1-1-1
1-1-0
1-0-0
0-0-0

Unless people are fond of 2-1-1 and 1-1-1, we're going to see a lot of ratio 0 action.... while there are twice as many ratio 1 chars and ratio 0 chars, I just get the feeling that those teams aren't going to be popular. Interested in hearing what the results will be, though!

Professor
2836th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 22 Oct 21:32:post reply

quote:

A peculiarity of this system is that it means choosing a 3 or 4 point character automatically forces the inclusion of a 0 point character.

[snip]

Unless people are fond of 2-1-1 and 1-1-1, we're going to see a lot of ratio 0 action.... while there are twice as many ratio 1 chars and ratio 0 chars, I just get the feeling that those teams aren't going to be popular. Interested in hearing what the results will be, though!

I think we'll be seeing a lot of 3-1-0 combinations. Simply because most players probably would avoid to use two Ratio 0 characters. We'll see come next month... most likely by the time of the tournament, the console version will already be announced.

Looking back at the charts, it once again kind of shows the traits of KOFXIII. Characters that have damaging combos and can carry the opponent to the edge of the screen (corner = death in KOFXIII) fits the game's system, whereas poke and zoning characters are considered weak.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 24 Oct 23:41]

Professor
2836th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Tue 26 Oct 21:14:post reply

Quick note, I finally had the time to try out KOFXIII's Ver1.1 this weekend. I was skeptical that there may be some subtle balance changes that players could have overlooked but quite frankly aside from the bug & infinite fixes, it seems to absolutely be the same as the unpatched version. K's jump kicks are as horrid as before, Raiden can still charge two dropkicks for a 16 second deathcount, etcetc... they're still top of the game.

As for Raiden's air-throw bug, no hit trade is needed but it's not likely to happen in a real match. I was experimenting with it but still not sure of the programming mechanics behind the glitch, it happens when the opponent is in point blank range and Raiden does his move before they jump. The freeze can be fixed with a normal attack.

It's a good question as to why SNKP released an HDD replacement just to patch the bugs. They've had plenty of titles in the past that had infinites and glitches. The only logical assumption would be that their new distributor (Konami) might have pressured them to keep face in the business. Again, that's only an assumption.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 26 Oct 22:02]

Luther Blissett
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Tue 26 Oct 22:00post reply

quote:

[snip]

I think we'll be seeing a lot of 3-1-0 combinations. Simply because most players probably would avoid to use two Ratio 0 characters. We'll see come next month... most likely by the time of the tournament, the console version will already be announced.

Professor, do you know something we don't? We re all starving for info! Is it really true they re going to announce the port very very soon?

Professor
2837th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Tue 26 Oct 22:21:post reply

quote:
Professor, do you know something we don't? We re all starving for info! Is it really true they re going to announce the port very very soon?

Hello Luther,

The tournament is actually on November 27 so it's quite a while away. I don't have any concrete information at the current time but it's very rare for a publisher to make an announcement of a major release in December for obvious reasons. (SNKPlaymore used to do year-end events, but that was until 2006).

With arcade games, companies usually make an announcement of a console version around the fourth month and release on the sixth to eighth month.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 26 Oct 22:42]

Luther Blissett
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Tue 26 Oct 22:41post reply

quote:

Hello Luther,

The tournament is actually on November 27 so it's quite a while away. I don't have any concrete information at the current time but it's very rare for a publisher to make an announcement of a major release in December for obvious reasons.

With arcade games, companies usually make an announcement of a console version around the fourth month and release on the sixth to eighth month.

Very interesting, you gave this man some hope.

Gunsmith
23th Post

Orochinagi WebHamster

"Re(2):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Wed 27 Oct 03:08post reply

I saw Shermie in the France stage.
I came

all the way to France to play XIII and it was not fun the first night, better the 2nd, by the third we nearly missed the train home.

I can copy pasta my report here or maybe it's a bit too long? (It's not due to go up till 28th)

----------------------------------
How does it feel?
orochinagi.com

Professor
2839th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Wed 27 Oct 04:12:post reply

Crazy! That's... quite a journey there. How many hours did you get to spend per day?
There's no place in the UK that has the game!?

Saw some of the photos. Someone pressed an LCD into a Megalo cabinet? Very Nice.
The machine is one of the greatest inventions of the past century.

Long pasta is good! Cook and serve us!

if you missed the train, would've been extra games
o' how you could long for another volcano

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 27 Oct 04:25]

Gunsmith
24th Post

Orochinagi WebHamster

"Re(4):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Wed 27 Oct 17:48post reply

Did you see us on the train? All for the love of SNK...

The 1st night was 2 hours,
2nd was 18 hours (arcade closed at 6am)
3rd evening was 3 hours, where we got to try practice mode as everyone else was dead from night before :)

I dreamt of green volcanoes!! MORE ASH PLZ!

Here's your kohi and pasta!

Presentation: the game is really nice to see 'in the flesh'. I remember comparing the style to Blazblue when I first saw videos; with the colour picking it's even more obvious now. The pallettes are great but everyone's picking black lol. You may think the DM finish burst of colour isn't all that but when you're on the receiving end or delivering one, it's actually pretty cool. The zoom in of sprites during DMs is inspired by our combo videos - better put us in the credits SNKP! Haha. Speaking of sprites, I miss the re-sizing depending on range but it's no big deal. The NeoMaxes are incredible to see.

Game system: Bouncing between this and 2k2UM was not good. The timing is more lenient and yet different. You can't just jump in and pull off (good) combos. I found it very irritating but I remember feeling this way for XII, it just takes a bit of practice, it's not unlike the transition from 98 to 2k2 (for some combos).

The crossup detection is totally f*cked, however. I don't know yet if the patch sorted this out and it's not exactly game breaking but good grief it's going to mess up my combos. I crossed up with Robert and yet landed in front of them, which meant I had to switch from being about to do qcbhcf to qcfhcb in a millisecond - and I'm not that fast. The jumping distance is completely different to OS (Old Skool) KOF. That completely screwed us all and will annoy you when you start. What with the crossups, ugh.

As you know, I don't like the single button throw, I still have problems with this in OS. Oh well. CD counters work fine, although I'm trying not to use them and just block to save stock. Risk versus reward? We'll see.

The removal of counter stun really changes the game flow. XII was more about getting a counter hit and running in to inflict a combo. XIII is pretty much OS KOF with new graphics, different timing and SF combos and EX mind games.

HD mode aka BC mode- bleh, not necessary, much like in 2k2, unless you're an expert who can dish out long combos that bore the crap outta your opponent. I am pleased at the way you don't need it.

Sprite collision: I remember chatting with Salim as he said he didn't like XIII because he can't see opponents hitting him. Yeah, some things are a bit weird- just watch Goro run across the screen... but it just needs learning.

Combos: This system seems quite simple however it's not as easy as SNKP would like you to think. QCFx2 + A into QCFx2 + AC is not exactly bread and butter, you'll still need some speedy hands to pull this off. What's interesting is the damage scaling, which means some of those long combos may not be worth going for - however this means that the skilled players can show off while the average joe can still whack off comparitively good damage with the basics. That's good balance.

I don't understand why they kept Mature's infinite - perhaps scaling damage was easier than reprogramming the properties of her EX qcb. Things like these are easy to control in a professional tournament but God help you in the wilderness known as "trophy hunting". Expect to see that woman out in force.

Execution I found some moves, especially NeoMaxes, highly resistant to my spamming. Kula's Freeze Execution notably refused to come out.

Characters: There are plenty of reasons old skool will run away from this incarnation of KOF, one being the timing, others including lack of characters and the (new-ish) way they are used. For example, Iori is practically 98 style but for having a HD cancel into scum gale, which means he can inflict heavy damage after any combo ending with qcb A. Some people stopped playing 98 because of Iori. However, Iori is not invincible. He doesn't have a projectile. He has to pressure you. His jump D is in no way invincible. You just have to know how to counter it. It's not like he can do Scum gale, CD, DP into SDM anyway. Raiden is much more of a problem. There's nothing to say that you don't already know.

Shen Woo seems practically unchanged; one character XII owners should get to grips with while waiting, as you can see in the videos, the little practice with him I had came in useful (not much, but the surprise element was a good gamble as nobody else was using him). Mature (also) has a nicely angled jump CD and a good EX projectile for pressure.

Kyo's jump D doesn't seem as effective as in OS (Old Skool) KOF, when trying to stop people jumping in etc - it doesn't seem to have as large a hitbox. K' and Kula are pretty much the same old same old. Maxima seems a bit cheap as he has buckets of time to cancel his slide grab into DM/NM. Chin is an old git. Leona has marvellous links: c B into fwd B and her air attacks seem to crossup easily.

Robert seems the same old apart from his standard hcf K - he takes ages to recover! I'm dying to run and attack but he's just standing there shrugging his waistcoat. Stand D retains priority as anti air, plus he can crossup with j B or D. With the crossup crap, he can be pretty dangerous. I'm not sure if it's invincible, but his DP C won every time. Absolutely cracking SDM - I might even like it more than his NM!

Ash: I never was able to do any real damage with him in XII and it doesn't feel any different now. For some reason I turned into an idiot and couldn't do his command kicks but even when I did, without the stun from XII, there's not much use to them. When an opponent starts blocking, he's pretty f*cked, as he has to start walking in and so loses his charge. He can't just throw projectiles because they're easily jumpable, leaving him open to a combo. Guile could creep up behind a slow sonic boom but Ash can't do that - his projectiles are too fast.

Kensou's good but MichelS has dibs so I'm going to leave him alone. Jump CD not as strong but will do against Iori. DP cancelled into qcb P cancelled into SDM psychoball works nicely!

Andy, Duo Lon, Vice, Hwa Ja = didn't really see them. Didn't want to risk using Vice.

Using Clark got on my nerves but at least his sweep is fast. No frankensteiner, no joy. Goro has it, and it's cancellable. I might just use Goro actually, his stand B seems good enough. Ralf has his rape DM back, easily cancellable from his gatling attack. I remember seeing a far C connect in such a way it brought back nightmares- needs more testing!

That's enough, I've got a headache and I'm pissed that I can't play it some more. For once, I'm not bothered about the story, I just want to get better and nail some NeoMax combos. The closest I got was with Benimaru in practice mode (see the video), this made me rather happy because it didn't seem that difficult. My head tends to go a bit funny when it comes to long combos so I'll be avoiding that Arcadia HD crap and just unleash RAIOHKEN!!!

My team may well be Beni, Shen and Robert...

To conclude, I had fun with the game, but I can see why OS fans will go back to 2k2um. To get good at XIII, you're going to need to put in time and effort. OS fans don't have that time, they just want to hit start and start mashing D and hope they can grab with King. Out of those fans, it's going to one KOF or the other. I want to play it, but it don't have Shermie and Clark is nowhere as good as he is in 2k2um. And Jesus, have you seen 2k2um Shermie? I mean, really? She's actually really good! Anyway, it's going to be a tough decision to make- or I need to cut watching anime so I can play both KOFs D:

Concerning the release date, if SNKP were to announce XIII just after 2k2UM (Nov 11 for USA), what would happen to 2k2UM sales? Tch. Under a new president that might actually make good decisions, we could be in for a long wait.

How does it feel?
orochinagi.com

Professor
2841th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Wed 27 Oct 21:39:post reply

Yes, I did see the train footage. The background music during the ride must've caused migranes for you guys.

23 hours of play stuffed into 2 and a half days is quite something. The buttons were in a 3x2 layout, correct? I'm amazed that you didn't have troubles with that.

Yes, the crossups in XIII is kind of weird and there's a few bugs in relation to that too.
Were you playing on ver1.1 or the unpatched game? Mature's infinite is gone on the updated one.

Once you get used to XIII's graphics, it's really hard to go back to the older installments.

I don't think 2002UM's sales will get effected by an announcement of XIII. It's limited to just online distribution for the 360 at the low price of 800MSP. It's more of a long-tail sales strategy after its first month of release.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 28 Oct 02:10]

Gunsmith
25th Post

Orochinagi WebHamster

"Re(6):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Wed 27 Oct 23:06post reply

Yup, 3x2 layout, but I've been using L set, which is practically the same as on the neogeo stick, as long as your thumb is on A.

We're going to start arguing about why L and 2x2 layout are better for certain KOFs in a later article.

It's version 1.0, the owner is having difficulties getting his 1.1 (he bought it from a shop in China...)

Regarding the infinites, the players were nice enough not to use them.

need to play it some more - Gwooooo!!!

About the poll, I assume we're talking about the Japanese release?

Which arcade are you playing at btw?

How does it feel?
orochinagi.com

Professor
2844th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Thu 28 Oct 00:16:post reply

quote:
Yup, 3x2 layout, but I've been using L set, which is practically the same as on the neogeo stick, as long as your thumb is on A.

We're going to start arguing about why L and 2x2 layout are better for certain KOFs in a later article.
It's version 1.0, the owner is having difficulties getting his 1.1 (he bought it from a shop in China...)
Regarding the infinites, the players were nice enough not to use them.
need to play it some more - Gwooooo!!!

About the poll, I assume we're talking about the Japanese release?
Which arcade are you playing at btw?

The Japanese. Though nowadays it's not too different from the overseas release period. Actually, I should note that, thanks.

I stop by various arcades so it's kind of hard to pinpoint one... usually somewhere not too crouded and smokey, my throat can't take it. They're sort of my coffee stop, an alternative to going to a Starbucks to take a rest.

Are you thinking of covering/touring arcades on your next trip? You should get an unlimited train pass in that case.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 29 Oct 20:39]

Professor
2843th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 29 Oct 06:20:post reply

One thing that should be mentioned since November is just around the corner. Infoseek Japan is closing down its free web hosting, so a LOT of Japanese sites will be gone after the end of this month (which is coming in about 48 hours).

In terms of NeoGeo, Sites like Phantasia (which had the extensive SNK cell phone game reviews) and Dune's KCE will be gone after that.

Also in relation to KCE, about a week or two ago Dune had quit his position as one of the main organizers of "Duelling the KOF", wiped out his blog on the site, and also his Twitter account. He's still around the Internet though, just not too public.

Duelling the KOF is probably the only nationwide KOF tournament in Japan aside of SBO; this year it was officially recognized and supported by SNKP.

[Edit] I keep getting mails asking if Raiden's dropkick takes longer to charge in KOFXIIIVer1.1-- quick answer is no, it's still real-time 12s for Lv3 and 16s for Lv4.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 29 Oct 08:02]

Loona
350th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Silver Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 29 Oct 17:18post reply

quote:
One thing that should be mentioned since November is just around the corner. Infoseek Japan is closing down its free web hosting, so a LOT of Japanese sites will be gone after the end of this month (which is coming in about 48 hours).

In terms of NeoGeo, Sites like Phantasia (which had the extensive SNK cell phone game reviews) and Dune's KCE will be gone after that.

Well this sucks - I really liked Infoseek as a search engine (it's how I found the Cafe back in 97 while looking for KoF stuff...) and was sad to see it practically gone from the english-speaking internet - the relief that it still survived in some form in Japan now goes down the drain...

I wonder if archive.org still works with japanese sites - I'm trying to search for past versions of that site with the cell phone game reviews, but the search is going slooow...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Professor
2844th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 29 Oct 20:39:post reply

quote:
I'm trying to search for past versions of that site with the cell phone game reviews, but the search is going slooow...

Actually, they're still there-- 3 pages of it, in fact. On the bottom right of the games, there's sometimes a link. Click it and you can get to the full review w/ pics.

Just for the fun of things, let's try this.
* Think of this poll as the JP release period.

When do you think that KOFXIII will be released for home consoles?
Within the year
January
February
March (End of Fiscal Year)
April
May
June or later

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 29 Oct 20:40]

Toxico
5173th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Sat 30 Oct 01:17:post reply

quote:
I'm trying to search for past versions of that site with the cell phone game reviews, but the search is going slooow...

Actually, they're still there-- 3 pages of it, in fact. On the bottom right of the games, there's sometimes a link. Click it and you can get to the full review w/ pics.

While initially I figured that I didn't really needed to heed the site, but the fact that I am able to save this pic of Kusaregedo trying to eat Rimururu for the enjoyment of future generations is certainly a deal sweet enough to warrant a celebration. A Days of memories : Young maiden's Kusaregedo's dinner edition would surely prove to be a nice investment if they ever happen to hit that alley (which obviously is not going to happen).

In an actual SNK related deal, we have that Trouble Witches Neo site has updated with character profiles and an actual proper eng romanization of those awkward old England~Salem rip off names. Sadly for the cast of this game, I'm probably not going to care about them in the least until they happen to run into the circumstance of getting eaten by Kusaregedo

quote:

"I keep getting mails ..... "

恋文 を ゲット !!!!!! (?)

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Last update : Chapter 21 as of 15/10/10

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sun 31 Oct 14:01]

Gunsmith
26th Post

Orochinagi WebHamster

"Re(8):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Sat 30 Oct 21:08post reply

I'd like to cover a few more arcades, but

a) is the pass a really good idea? It seemed cheaper to just get two single tickets and spend the day walking around one area at a time. Hmmmmm...

b) Are there many more good arcades for KOF?

c) Sometimes it feels like I'm beating a dead horse. Every time I visit, more arcades have closed...

Nevermind, it'll be interesting to see how XIII fares against 2k2um by April. I can't wait!!!

How does it feel?
orochinagi.com

Professor
2846th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Sun 31 Oct 00:31:post reply

quote:
a) is the pass a really good idea? It seemed cheaper to just get two single tickets and spend the day walking around one area at a time. Hmmmmm...

b) Are there many more good arcades for KOF?

c) Sometimes it feels like I'm beating a dead horse. Every time I visit, more arcades have closed...

a) If you're hitting arcades in even non-commercial areas like the Mikado or GameSpot Versus for your report, it's probably better to get a one-day ticket and jump from location to location within a day because there's nothing else to see around there. Otherwise, just buy tickets.

b) Competition on the older games are limited to a few arcades as far as I've heard.

c) Get used to 2-2 button settings!

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 31 Oct 00:46]

Abster
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Sun 31 Oct 06:31post reply

Looks like KOF02 UM is now available on 360 Arcade. So go play it and stuff.

Toxico
5174th Post

"Re(2):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Sun 31 Oct 14:03:post reply

By the looks of it, "Oni-con"; the american event sponsored by SNK and where the release date for the console version of the game is supposed to be showcased seems to be going underway already.

Without a doubt, if a public announcement is made we can be sure that it's going to be leaked.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sun 31 Oct 14:29]

Toxico
5175th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Tue 2 Nov 06:32post reply

quote:

Also in relation to KCE, about a week or two ago Dune had quit his position as one of the main organizers of "Duelling the KOF"

It looks like Dune's site skipped deletion via scrooging up some cash. I bet that this one was probably popular demand of fans / friends which requested to keep the name going just in case, I bet update frequency is probably going to be the same (scarce).

.... And, it looks like there it was no talk about XIII at Oni-con after all (as expected).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Professor
2847th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Wed 3 Nov 10:36:post reply

Wow, so someone actually paid up for Dune's site? That's something.

Also in regards to KOF, Kevin Williams in his "The Stringer Report" has an awfully long but well written edition of his newsletter covering SNK and the NeoGeo console in regards to its 20th anniversary. I assume he has a personal fondness for the system from his business with the company. Won't go on to paste the whole article and I'll skip on the NesicaxLive stuff, but here's a few exerps for anyone interested.

quote:
Because of the expense of the platform (some $600), particularly in comparison to other home consoles of the time, a unique plan was contrived to get the system into homes.

The plan was simple: players wanting to continue their amusement games when it was time to go home would simply save their progress on their personal SNK memory (smart) card, go to the rental counter of their local arcade, and rent an AES along the appropriate game. It was also suggested at the time that the home system might be rented from pizza parlors and convenience stores.
quote:
Breaking Stinger News - That a game platform could still offer a viable business opportunity some twenty years since it was launched is testament to the staying power of the platform. This very quality was further underlined when it was revealed in October this year that 'Fast Striker' by NG:DEV.TEAM from Germany would be launched for the Neo-Geo -some eight years since it went out of production! This fast paced shoot-em-up is expected to appeal to the home collectors' market while also drawing in new blood.

quote:
Internationally, some operators still look towards the Neo-Geo-esque model, and there are several amusement manufacturers attempting to fulfill their requirements. As was seen with the recent launch at ENADA'10, the Spanish based Genna Group has embraced the ability to populate a cabinet with classic video amusement and created their 'Play Room'. The system has been installed with the 'MULTIGIOCO', a PC based system - comprising an amazing 1,069 games - that is connected as a JAMMA kit / VGA system. As with many multi-game platforms that have appeared under the radar in the international amusement scene, the MULTIGOCO offers a wide selection of Neo-Geo games brought back to life.

Another system that attempts to offer the operator a glimpse of the amusement/ consumer cross-over is the 'GameGate' by Quasimoto. A definite Neo-Geo throwback in terms of play model, the system was developed to offer a console game environment to the public-space sector. Although, the monster of "Pay-for-Time" has risen from the grave and been employed here, the developers at Quasimoto have gone far beyond amusement thinking to create a workable 'hospitality' platform that offers a compelling console game experience in an amusement platform. One unexpected by-product of Neo-Geo's renewed success is that at the end of 2010, more parties than ever before are willing to listen to and consider the opportunities that the hospitality market has to offer.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 3 Nov 10:41]

ZamIAm
1792th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Thu 4 Nov 04:24post reply

quote:
Looks like KOF02 UM is now available on 360 Arcade. So go play it and stuff.

*jumps on 2K2 hype train*

Professor
2853th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Sun 7 Nov 16:14:post reply

[Edit] I noticed that this post is getting misinterpreted by some sites-- the entries below are three, completely separate topics. Only the KOF13 topic is from Arcadia. The magazine doesn't report on consumer titles or local tournaments to begin with.
[Edit2] To minimize any further damage, I'm moving the KOF13 topic to the bottom.

Some quick notes.

-Carnival arcade keeps on changing its allotment on the ratio chart. It started out as max 4 points, changed to max 6 points a bit later, now it's back to max 4. Lord knows what it'll be by the time of the tournament at the end of the month. IMO, their chart needs an update too, Vice and Maxima is a bit too cost efficient.

-KOF2002UM for the XBLA, its netplay is being blasted for lag even within Japan. With a grain of salt, rumor says that it uses the same netcode as 98UM (or something based on it). The game reportedly synchs during the character select screen. Bottom line, be the host for minimum lag.

-The latest issue of Arcadia has coverage of September's Tougeki and the winners of the tournament. The page for KOF13 was all about Raiden and his dropkick with tips on how to use it. It further went on to show that the champion, Oeppu, uses a 1+3 button layout of ABCD. The end of the page has him quoting; "It's a very easy game, all you need is to hold on the kicks."

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 10 Nov 16:32]

Abster
362th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Mon 8 Nov 21:29post reply

quote:
Some quick notes.

-KOF2002UM for the XBLA, its netplay is being blasted for lag even within Japan. With a grain of salt, rumor says that it uses the same netcode as 98UM (or something based on it). The game reportedly synchs during the character select screen. Bottom line, be the host for minimum lag.

I've been hearing the netcode falls somewhere in between 98 UM and NGBC.

Gunsmith
27th Post

Orochinagi WebHamster

"Re(4):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Tue 9 Nov 04:29post reply

Oeppu uses 1+3 or 3+1? Dammit I just switched to 2x2!!!!

3+1 is the most ergonomical layout. No discussion!

However the other bits of my hand are now too slow and uncoordinated to deal with c A/B combos, so I'm just using fore and middle finger.

2k2um netcode is improved but still not good enough compared to ggpo and blazblue. There's been quite a public bitchfest at SNKP's Facebook page.

How does it feel?
orochinagi.com

Professor
2851th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Tue 9 Nov 12:32:post reply

quote:
Oeppu uses 1+3 or 3+1? Dammit I just switched to 2x2!!!!

3+1 is the most ergonomical layout. No discussion!

However the other bits of my hand are now too slow and uncoordinated to deal with c A/B combos, so I'm just using fore and middle finger.

2k2um netcode is improved but still not good enough compared to ggpo and blazblue. There's been quite a public bitchfest at SNKP's Facebook page.

Well technically the Viewlix has support for a 4 button layout. However, most arcades have the machines on a 3+2 alignment (works as both a 2+2 or 3+1(aka1+3)) without taking advantage of the 4th button on the top row. It's pretty much the standard for now.

FYI, the official layout for KOF13 is 2+2 so you're not missing out on anything by adopting to it. It's my personal choice of preference. I used to play with 4 button layouts when I started out on the NeoGeo but it didn't feel too comfortable.. some button combinations like B+Ds were hard.

Hands now slow... did you injure them or something?

Come.. let us pray, for the sake of net code in KOF13....

[edit] While we're at it, a few Mp4 videos of a local arcade tournament held in Chiba prefecture, Japan. The matches are kind of mediocre, but the final shows an example of why Leona can be considered one of the stronger characters.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 9 Nov 18:06]

Toxico
5179th Post

"Re(6):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Wed 10 Nov 08:38:post reply

quote:
[edit] While we're at it, a few Mp4 videos of a local arcade tournament held in Chiba prefecture, Japan. The matches are kind of mediocre, but the final shows an example of why Leona can be considered one of the stronger characters.

So it was Chiba! I couldn't trace the place on my own.

On unrelated news, in the latest official SNK sponsored us tournament you can see that an interview with Morishita Shinya was recorded (on video and with badly filtered audio).

From the looks of it, Shinya is not too good at eigo yet he still found himself on an international event being forced to apply a business smile when the proper time came.... Being all alone in a foreign environment and being completely unable to communicate with the locals in the least, specially in a big job related event as this must probably give off this marvelous feeling of you being on your own in a weird type of battlefield experimental battlefield where everyone else is completely geared & ready to go at it, chopping their their heads off if they are foolish enough to stand in the way.... I would pay for that type of experience, he sure is a lucky guy.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 10 Nov 08:39]

Professor
2853th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Wed 10 Nov 15:05:post reply

quote:
From the looks of it, Shinya is not too good at eigo yet he still found himself on an international event being forced to apply a business smile when the proper time came.... Being all alone in a foreign environment and being completely unable to communicate with the locals in the least, specially in a big job related event as this must probably give off this marvelous feeling of you being on your own in a weird type of battlefield experimental battlefield where everyone else is completely geared & ready to go at it, chopping their their heads off if they are foolish enough to stand in the way.... I would pay for that type of experience, he sure is a lucky guy.

Thanks for the plug. They should've mic'ed Morishita or at least placed the camera near him, it would've been better to record what he was saying. Live translations are never good.

It must've been embarassing to be asked if there'd be a netcode patch for 13 when the game's release hasn't even been announced yet.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 10 Nov 15:17]

Loona
351th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Wed 10 Nov 21:34post reply

quote:
On unrelated news, in the latest official SNK sponsored us tournament you can see that an interview with Morishita Shinya was recorded (on video and with badly filtered audio).

The part about putting their old IPs to use, or at least trying to raise awareness of them in the west was interesting - I hope/wonder if it's something beyond rereleasing older games as it has been happening for years with NeoGeo compilations for consoles or some XBLA releases... I keeping thinking about a Top Hunter sequel where Kathy can be player 1 (I like that design), but Garou 2 would be more tan enough for most.

ZamIAm
1794th Post

"Re(8):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Thu 11 Nov 02:50post reply

quote:
Thanks for the plug. They should've mic'ed Morishita or at least placed the camera near him, it would've been better to record what he was saying. Live translations are never good.

Yeah, it was actually pretty hard to hear what they were saying. Though I guess it was good to get what seemed to be an on the fly interview at all.

Professor
2854th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Thu 11 Nov 22:05:post reply

Since it seems to be a subject of interest... a note about KOF2002UM XBLAver.

For players in Japan, it's rare for them to have matches over ping 100 unless they're playing against overseas for some reason. So needless to say, their standard of "laggy" is a bit different from the Western side. Ping 40-50 seems to be the borderline of "playable" for the serious players.

But even at those figures, they still report that there's some latency in the game, which isn't too good.

On a side note, it should be noted that Ping figures don't mean much if both sides don't have a stable internet connection.

And while we're at it, here's the KOF2002UM ratio chart for anyone who wants it. This is from the arcade cabinet release a while back so I'm sure people will want to customize it for the XBLA release. Like, throw the projectile characters to the top.

Max total = 12 Points
7 - K', Kasumi, Nameless
6 - Andy, Benimaru, Chris(Norm), King, Kula, Robert(Alt), Yuri
5 - Bao, Chris(Alt), Heidern, Hinako, Iori, Jhun, Kusanagi, Mature, Rin, Ryo
4 - Choi, Clark, Foxy, Goro, Kim, Kyo, Leona, Mai, Mary, Seth, Shermie(Alt), Terry, Yamazaki
3 - Athena, Angel, Billy, Chang, Joe, Kensou(Norm&Alt), KYO-2, Ralf, Ramon, Robert(Norm), Shermie(Norm), Shingo, Takuma(Norm&Alt), Vice, Whip, Xiangfei, Yashiro(Norm&Alt),
2 - Chin, KYO-1, May Lee, Maxima, Vanessa

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 11 Nov 23:36]

Kane317
16th Post

New Customer

"Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 12 Nov 05:06post reply

quote:
Since it seems to be a subject of interest... a note about KOF2002UM XBLAver.

For players in Japan, it's rare for them to have matches over ping 100 unless they're playing against overseas for some reason. So needless to say, their standard of "laggy" is a bit different from the Western side. Ping 40-50 seems to be the borderline of "playable" for the serious players.

But even at those figures, they still report that there's some latency in the game, which isn't too good.

On a side note, it should be noted that Ping figures don't mean much if both sides don't have a stable internet connection.

And while we're at it, here's the KOF2002UM ratio chart for anyone who wants it. This is from the arcade cabinet release a while back so I'm sure people will want to customize it for the XBLA release. Like, throw the projectile characters to the top.

Max total = 12 Points
7 - K', Kasumi, Nameless
4 - Choi, Clark, Foxy, Goro, Kim, Kyo, Leona, Mai, Mary, Seth, Shermie(Alt), Terry, Yamazaki
3 - Athena, Angel, Billy, Chang, Joe, Kensou(Norm&Alt), KYO-2, Ralf, Ramon, Robert(Norm), Shermie(Norm), Shingo, Takuma(Norm&Alt), Vice, Whip, Xiangfei, Yashiro(Norm&Alt),

I'm seeing this ping issue as a good thing. If even Japan complains there's latency issues, maybe they'll REALLY take the netcode seriously for XIII. I know this has been dissected a 1,000 times, but what's so hard in purchasing the GGPO netcode, didn't GG do it? Is this a legality issue or a money issue?

www.youtube.com/kane317

Spoon
2044th Post

"Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 12 Nov 05:30post reply

quote:

Max total = 12 Points
7 - K', Kasumi, Nameless

So a team cannot have both a 7 and 6 or a 7 and 5 or even a 6 and 5 point character... unless the rules allow for such a team to lose the match once those characters die.

I still don't know what makes Kasumi so good in this game; what puts her so far above the others?

Iggy
9194th Post

"Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 12 Nov 05:36post reply

quote:
Max total = 12 Points
7 - K', Kasumi, Nameless

Interesting how most of the top tiers of vanilla 02 got nerfed like mad...
I thought Chang was LOL-tier in 02UM, but apparently, someone found at least a few basic tactics with him.
Also, what makes the projectile characters so strong in 02UM? I don't remember them being that dominant in 02...

Professor
2856th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 12 Nov 13:52:post reply

quote:
I'm seeing this ping issue as a good thing. If even Japan complains there's latency issues, maybe they'll REALLY take the netcode seriously for XIII. I know this has been dissected a 1,000 times, but what's so hard in purchasing the GGPO netcode, didn't GG do it? Is this a legality issue or a money issue?

That's probably a question best left for Tony Cannon to answer, considering how hard it is to catch a publisher and ask them a comment about unimplemented subjects.

My personal view, it might have to do with both money and legality. SNKP has a long, long, history for taking the budget route. They also have an equally long history of high pride (and bad business decisions).

If there's one unfortunate thing with GGPO, it's got a bit of an underground association to it. It's hard to imagine management that would be forthgoing to approve a contract for a code that came from a network system that supports unsolicited game roms from their own company.

spoon-
I haven't played much 2002UM but from what I understand, she's got good jump-ins, high priority attacks, can break through opponents, can do mass damage, counter raises power meter on a whiff, and Max2 has unconditional hit detection.

[EDIT] Holy Moses, I didn't know there was an Evo Japan happening in spring. Might be a good time to continue writing up my arcade & survival guide for tourists.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 12 Nov 14:44]

Maou
2118th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Fri 12 Nov 14:46:post reply

quote:
[EDIT] Holy Moses, I didn't know there was an Evo Japan happening in spring. Might be a good time to continue writing up my arcade & survival guide for tourists.

This is a great idea! Think of all the new visitors who might stop in... And a wise idea anyway since we often get variants of the "I'm going to Tokyo" thread every few months or so but never really store the helpful advice in one place.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 12 Nov 14:48]

Kane317
17th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Sat 13 Nov 07:03post reply

quote:

If there's one unfortunate thing with GGPO, it's got a bit of an underground association to it. It's hard to imagine management that would be forthgoing to approve a contract for a code that came from a network system that supports unsolicited game roms from their own company.

Well I thought the same too, only except Guilt Gear allegedly uses GGPO code too.

www.youtube.com/kane317

Professor
2857th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Sat 13 Nov 15:56:post reply

quote:

Well I thought the same too, only except Guilt Gear allegedly uses GGPO code too.

Really? I didn't know that. Which Guilty Gear is said to have used it, the XBLA version of #Reload? If it's true, it may be safter for the time being to see it as an exception rather than a model case.

[edit] My bad! SSF2HD doesn't use GGPO. Thanks Gojira.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 13 Nov 18:52]

Gojira
2665th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(5):Re(10):KOF & SNKP Thread 5" , posted Sat 13 Nov 17:46post reply

quote:

As far as I know, the only commercial game that's confirmed to use GGPO was SSFT2HD, which unfortunately hasn't been released in Japan.

Actually I don't believe SSF2T:HDR uses it.

The only game to officially use GGPO so far has been Final Fight Double Impact.

Chillypepper
56th Post

Occasional Customer

"In regards to the sprites" , posted Sun 14 Nov 17:46post reply

After seeing BlazBlue (the newer one) in action- I must say that Arc System works stepped it up in the graphics department. For those of you all that have played XIII and BlazBlue- how are the graphics when you compare them? I understand kof sprites are 480p while the BB sprites are 720. Now since they have scaled the sprites down from XII (excessive zooming)- how clean do the sprites look now? (I have only played this game once and I remember thinking it looked much cleaner than xii on the HD monitor).

Just doing some thinking in anticipation for a release of a home version.

Professor
2858th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):In regards to the sprites" , posted Sun 14 Nov 21:01:post reply

quote:
After seeing BlazBlue (the newer one) in action- I must say that Arc System works stepped it up in the graphics department. For those of you all that have played XIII and BlazBlue- how are the graphics when you compare them? I understand kof sprites are 480p while the BB sprites are 720. Now since they have scaled the sprites down from XII (excessive zooming)- how clean do the sprites look now? (I have only played this game once and I remember thinking it looked much cleaner than xii on the HD monitor).

Just doing some thinking in anticipation for a release of a home version.

They're both good! BB has more moves, XIII has more subtle animations (like Andy fixing his hair after an attack, Mai's chest bouncing after a landing, etc). The resize and filtering makes the sprites a little blurry, but just good enough. You'll never be able to go back to the older KOF graphics again.

Blazblue, I was pretty astounded by the cell-sprite and HD background combination when I first saw the game. It was like CvS2, but next-generation.

When you start going into the discussion of graphics/art factor, I think there's a lot that this BBS can offer.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 14 Nov 21:10]

TheRedKnight
280th Post

PSN: no
XBL: no
Wii: no

Copper Customer

"Re(2):In regards to the sprites" , posted Sun 14 Nov 22:11post reply

quote:

You'll never be able to go back to the older KOF graphics again.

...Exaggerating a bit there!

THE LEGEND OF THE STRONGEST FIGHTING LORD OF ALL TIME!

Professor
2859th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Fighting game latencies" , posted Sun 14 Nov 23:11:post reply

quote:

You'll never be able to go back to the older KOF graphics again.

...Exaggerating a bit there!

When you play XIII and you go back to 98, Ralf and Clark look like toothpicks and you wonder where the beef is. Then you realize you've become unsensitized to Stretch Armstrongs on steroids. You're no longer "normal" any more, going by the definition in most urban dictonaries. Your salad days are over-- it's time for quarter pounders.

It doesn't have a direct connection to KOF, but on the subject of fighting games... the Japanese console comparison blog "Game wa Kimama ni" released a comparison chart of Xbox 360 and PS3 fighting game latencys.

The result:
Super Street Fighter 4: PS3 version has 1-2 frames more latency than the 360.
Tekken 6: Xbox360 sometimes has 1 frame more latency than the PS3.
Virtua Fighter5: About equal.

[edit] Ishamel: the site author fused two console controllers with a switch and recorded them at 60 fps; he has images here which should do most of the explaining. Also to note, in the previous run last month, SSF4 had an average of 1.7frame latency on PS3, Tekken 6 had 0.3 frame average latency on 360.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 15 Nov 02:15]

Ishmael
3934th Post

"Re(1):Fighting game latencies" , posted Mon 15 Nov 01:50:post reply

quote:
It doesn't have a direct connection to KOF, but on the subject of fighting games... the Japanese console comparison blog "Game wa Kimama ni" released a comparison chart of Xbox 360 and PS3 fighting game latencys.

The result:
Super Street Fighter 4: PS3 version has 1-2 frames more latency than the 360.
Tekken 6: Xbox360 sometimes has 1 frame more latency than the PS3.
Virtua Fighter5: About equal.

Those are very precise measurements. How do they determine that sort of thing?

EDIT:
quote:

[edit] Ishamel: the site author fused two console controllers with a switch and recorded them at 60 fps; he has images here which should do most of the explaining. Also to note, in the previous run last month, SSF4 had an average of 1.7frame latency on PS3, Tekken 6 had 0.3 frame average latency on 360.

Thanks for the clarification. While I have heard of differences between consoles the evidence had been anecdotal. The work this person did, however, is as precise as it is obsessive and crazy. I respect that.

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Mon 15 Nov 03:43]

Gunsmith
28th Post

Orochinagi WebHamster

"ppppppp" , posted Wed 17 Nov 06:36post reply

Osu!

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=169703103049202&id=115381791848274&ref=mf

SNKP's 2k2um FB page - looks like they're trying to actually pacify western fans. This is an interview with Dr. NG. I'm wondering if this is actually a copy and (translated) paste from the JP blog, rather than an interview just for the FB page...

Do the fans look pacified? Ohhhh boy, SNKP are going to have to do much better than that...

How does it feel?
orochinagi.com

shin ramberk
374th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):ppppppp" , posted Wed 17 Nov 07:32post reply

quote:
Osu!

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=169703103049202&id=115381791848274&ref=mf

SNKP's 2k2um FB page - looks like they're trying to actually pacify western fans. This is an interview with Dr. NG. I'm wondering if this is actually a copy and (translated) paste from the JP blog, rather than an interview just for the FB page...

Do the fans look pacified? Ohhhh boy, SNKP are going to have to do much better than that...

SNK has a lot of catching up to do in regards to their online experience and playability of their games. I got KOF02UM as soon as I heard it was available on Xbox Live. For me, it is monumentally much harder to input moves in KOF02UM versus SSF4. I know that people complain that the input system on SSF4 is too lenient but in KOF02UM it is extremely strict. That is very frustrating. Furthermore, the online matchmaking system is very simple in KOF02UM. I've been playing SSF4 since early August 2010 and I am extremely impressed by its netcode and matchmaking system.

Maybe I'm reiterating points that people were aware about a long time ago but I think it needs to be repeated. SNK really needs to make their games more "newbie" friendly and have superb online gameplay to succeed. These two factors are what is making SSF4 such a big success and what is bringing new players into the hobby.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Loona
356th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):ppppppp" , posted Wed 17 Nov 07:39post reply

quote:

Maybe I'm reiterating points that people were aware about a long time ago but I think it needs to be repeated. SNK really needs to make their games more "newbie" friendly and have superb online gameplay to succeed. These two factors are what is making SSF4 such a big success and what is bringing new players into the hobby.

Case in point, performing Ralf and Clark's complete MAX2/HSDMs are actual achievements in that game. At least one forum online recommends using macros to get those...

It would have also been nice to have SF4's ability to accept online challenges while you're in arcade mode...

Toxico
5183th Post

"Re(2):ppppppp" , posted Wed 17 Nov 09:38post reply

quote:

SNK has a lot of catching up to do in regards to their online experience and playability of their games. I got KOF02UM as soon as I heard it was available on Xbox Live. For me, it is monumentally much harder to input moves in KOF02UM versus SSF4. I know that people complain that the input system on SSF4 is too lenient but in KOF02UM it is extremely strict. That is very frustrating. Furthermore, the online matchmaking system is very simple in KOF02UM. I've been playing SSF4 since early August 2010 and I am extremely impressed by its netcode and matchmaking system.

SF IV is 'a head' title of a big company that had a big budget, thus in a lot of aspects the game is huge.

KoF 02um on Xbox was a rehash of the arcade version, which in turn is a rehash of the original ps2 version, which in turn was a low budget and low man hour effort work product.... Heck, it's not even considered within the main saga as in "XIII is episode XIII", the UMs aren't accounted in there number wise....

So, whatever the terms the games had to work in are simply completely different from eachother, and comparing them is like comparing fat Hollywood movie to the copy of a copy of a Z quality motion picture. Does that effect the fun of the playability of the games? no. Does that meant that we should have expected a halfbaked job on the Xbald port? no.

Regardless of that, it was easy to see that SNK was getting sloppy with the UM versions as of late, so it was painfully predictable to see that we where going to end up with what we got... And doing a fan whine full technicolor parade on whatever media SNK has available is not going to change anything, sad yet true.

... So, let's just pray for better luck on a better budget product

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Professor
2860th Post

MMCafe Owner

"King Of Fighters Slot Machine server hacked" , posted Wed 17 Nov 15:43:post reply

For anyone who's registered to play the online version of King Of Fighters' Slot machine game amongst the other titles at Sammy's 777TOWN.net, be warned-- their servers were hacked and personal data have been leaked. So far it's been announced that nearly 1.8 million users have their ID, password, mail addresses, and partial profile (name, zip code, etc) compromised. Credit card info are stored by a third party, so that's safe.

This is the third major server hack in Japan during the past two weeks; major videogames & electronics retailer BicCamera and the model kit retailer Hobby Search(1999.co.jp) were also illegally accessed by outside sources with possibility of credit card data or store credits stolen.

Gunsmith- I believe it's a new interview. SNKP's Japanese site is too busy promoting cutsey pachislots and cell phone games to care about an XBLA port, and Dr.NG's blog hasn't been updated since September.

I didn't realize there was a wallpaper of Dr.Brown at SNKP's site. Too awesome.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 17 Nov 17:05]

TheRedKnight
281th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):ppppppp" , posted Wed 17 Nov 21:49post reply

Pro-tip time:
Get 2002UM Tougeki version for the Playstation 2.

-no lag
-no trophies
-no dlc
etc.

By buying an inferior product, you are just asking for shit. Wise up.

mbisonhatclub
224th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):ppppppp" , posted Wed 17 Nov 23:18post reply

quote:
Pro-tip time:
Get 2002UM Tougeki version for the Playstation 2.

By buying an inferior product, you are just asking for shit. Wise up.

Truth

I've got the PS2 port and would never consider the XBL port if I had XBL. I'm tired of encouraging producers and developers to churn out more shitty products by buying into their lackadaisical and lazy lack of effort. There are certainly things SNK needs to learn and one thing to learn isn't "we can be as careless as we want to be with our product"

Inafune is right about Japan game developers just becoming a bunch of salarymen who don't give a shit, despite any previous sense of pride they had over US developers and our balding space marine fetish. They have to understand that it isn't okay to put out something like KOFXII, but they won't understand that if people start being apologists for something like that, and buy into it anyway (you know who you are).

In my opinion, KOFXII shouldn't have been released if it wasn't done--I know they have deadlines and they can't keep extending them especially if the developers side is slow or lazy, but the latter is why you have more visibility in the market to show your betas and such to periodically let the public know that you're at least putting some kind of effort into a product and not spending five months jacking off and then tweaking a couple of things at the last minute. This is one of SNK's major faults, is that they don't have that kind of visibility a lot, unless it has to do with advertising their ecchi pachinko cell phone games that only casual Japanese pervert salarymen can toy with when their sex life is down the drain.

My worries is that SNK's attitude, especially toward online gaming, is still going to play a detrimental role in its netcode, and yet, we'll still buy into it anyway because a lot of us just want to play KOFXIII, me inclusive

shin ramberk
376th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):ppppppp" , posted Thu 18 Nov 03:38post reply

I agree with both mbisonhatclub and toxico. Unfortunately I don't see SNK changing their behavior in regards making newbie friendly games with good online playability.

I hate being a complainer but this is a real problem. I have an open mind on XIII but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Professor
2860th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):ppppppp" , posted Thu 18 Nov 05:39post reply

The game is 800MSP, about the price of a nice lunch.. so yeah, it's kind of hard to complain. The PS2 version costs almost double that even when purchased used.

That's not to say that the complaints shouldn't be made. They should.

You can't expect too much from SNKP, the company has had a long, long history of screwing things up. Claiming issues to them may not change things. But it'd be worse if nothing was said.

KOF13 was the only new video game title they released this year, leaving aside ports and mobile games.

If they screw up on the console release, it would be pretty nutty.

Gojira
2667th Post

"Re(6):ppppppp" , posted Thu 18 Nov 07:00post reply

There's really nothing "inferior" about the XBLA version other than it tries to have online matchmaking and fails for the fussier players. The input strictness is an offline thing that's always been a part of the 2k2 engine.

Personally I don't like 2k2UM, but if you want to support it I don't see why buying the XBLA version would be a bad thing. Contrary to what you think, not buying it isn't going to make the netcode better. It just makes them want to expend less effort on it. If a lot a people buy it AND complain about the netcode then SNKP would actually have a reason to listen.

Professor
2862th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Mai bug & etc" , posted Thu 18 Nov 19:39:post reply

Interesting KOFXIII video at nicovideo.

0:11- Example of how CPU won't guard 1 Frame attacks in Training mode.
0:26- A few Leona combos, some which can go across the screen.
1:11- Vice's EX Gore Fest throwing range.
1:25- Mai's wakeup bug (Can't guard on wakeup. Happens against throws that leaves her facing the opposite direction).
1:37- Fun with Kula's taunt.
1:58- Easy way of beating the CPU.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 18 Nov 19:42]

Digitalboy
710th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(7):ppppppp" , posted Fri 19 Nov 11:54:post reply

I just got KOF2002UM for XBL.

So...can anyone explain me the nature of showing the host's ping and the challenger? Besides the fact that it shows each other the signal strength of their connection.

Is my ping connection suppose to show zero?

Is this bad?

quote:
...netcode....

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

[this message was edited by Digitalboy on Fri 19 Nov 11:59]

Toxico
5185th Post

"Re(8):ppppppp" , posted Fri 19 Nov 12:49post reply

quote:

So...can anyone explain me the nature of showing the host's ping and the challenger? Besides the fact that it shows each other the signal strength of their connection.

Is my ping connection suppose to show zero?

Is this bad?

...netcode....

Supposedly the less ping, the better.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Digitalboy
710th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

"Re(9):ppppppp" , posted Fri 19 Nov 13:31post reply

Dammit.

quote:
Supposedly the less ping, the better.

I don't know how to live

Professor
2863th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Kane" , posted Sun 21 Nov 23:56post reply

Congratulations on third place at the Northern California Regional tournament!

Kane317
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Kane" , posted Mon 22 Nov 18:32:post reply

quote:

Yeah thanks but it wasn't really a fair tourney :) Only the 3 of us (which got top 3) from AI knew how to play, everyone else was playing for their first time so it's not as impressive as it looks on paper.

I did get my convincing revenge on my buddies afterwards when we played for some chump change when we drove back to socal (stopped by AI to play on some real joysticks :) ).

The TRUE reward of it all, was a huge turnout and interested players (including other pro-gamers), the increase awareness and appreciation of XIII, building the relationship with SNKP and their representatives -- can't wait to see what the scene looks like in the coming months.

www.youtube.com/kane317

[this message was edited by Kane317 on Mon 22 Nov 18:47]

Toxico
5191th Post

"また 98' か!?" , posted Wed 24 Nov 14:21:post reply

Final Edition だと!? .... Self explanatory; the nescal live system is going to debut with those games.... And that title is misleading, specially considering how the 98um failed to "knock off" the old 98 in the hearts of the players, smells like a second try to me

quote:
How many editions are we at of KOF98, now? What's that? Even more than what versions of FFIV there are? What's that? The difference is that FFIVDS is actually worthwhile? Huh!

Let's check.... The relevant ones that pop up from my head right now

98 vanilla,
99 dream match,
98um arcade,
98um ps2,
98um xbald live (watered down stages & ost),
98um hero (same as arcade, but different hardware cheaper and more compatible with the Chinese market),
98um Final Edition

.... Those are the ones, I think.... Not counting the game inside collections nor ports that are supposed to be 1 : 1

.... Now that I realize that count doesn't necessarily ends with that, kah kah kah

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 24 Nov 14:41]

mbisonhatclub
226th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):また 98' か!?" , posted Wed 24 Nov 14:30post reply

quote:
Final Edition だと!? .... Self explanatory; the nescal live system is going to debut with those games.... And that title is misleading, specially considering how the 98um failed to "knock off" the old 98 in the hearts of the players, smells like a second try to me

How many editions are we at of KOF98, now? What's that? Even more than what versions of FFIV there are? What's that? The difference is that FFIVDS is actually worthwhile? Huh!

Kane317
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):また 98' か!?" , posted Wed 24 Nov 19:13post reply

quote:

98 vanilla,
99 dream match,
98um arcade,
98um ps2,
98um hero (same as arcade, but different hardware cheaper and more compatible with the Chinese market),
98um Final Edition

.... Those are the ones, I think.... Not counting the game inside collections nor ports that are supposed to be 1 : 1

.... Now that I realize that count doesn't necessarily ends with that, kah kah kah

Curious to see what the balance changes they've done to '98 UM.

www.youtube.com/kane317

TheRedKnight
283th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):また 98' か!?" , posted Wed 24 Nov 19:27post reply

Oh man, I hope they release the Final Editions on PSN eventually. That is if the Final Editions are worth playing over vanilla UM editions. (I can't believe I just said vanilla UM!)

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Also, I want to be able to disable trophies on PS3.

End of Spoiler

ZamIAm
1796th Post

"Re(2):Kane" , posted Thu 25 Nov 01:32post reply

quote:

Yeah thanks but it wasn't really a fair tourney :) Only the 3 of us (which got top 3) from AI knew how to play, everyone else was playing for their first time so it's not as impressive as it looks on paper.

I did get my convincing revenge on my buddies afterwards when we played for some chump change when we drove back to socal (stopped by AI to play on some real joysticks :) ).

The TRUE reward of it all, was a huge turnout and interested players (including other pro-gamers), the increase awareness and appreciation of XIII, building the relationship with SNKP and their representatives -- can't wait to see what the scene looks like in the coming months.

Well, that's good to hear. Where is the match footage located?

Ishmael
3940th Post

"Re(1):また 98' か!?" , posted Thu 25 Nov 04:35post reply

quote:

Final edition? Come now SNKP, do you really expect me to believe that? I'm looking forward to the 20th anniversary re-release of KoF98 in 2018.

To change the subject to less out of date KoF's, is there a complete listing of the KoF XIII games that made it out of Japan? The few I have seen are distressingly small.

Kane317
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Kane" , posted Thu 25 Nov 07:52:post reply

quote:

Well, that's good to hear. Where is the match footage located?

If you're talking about the revenge footage, not available, the three of us stopped by AI on the drive back home to SoCal and I played 3 out of 5 to the both of them alternating between games.

As for the tourney vids, there's some on dreamcancel.com

www.youtube.com/kane317

[this message was edited by Kane317 on Thu 25 Nov 07:53]

shindekudasai
367th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):また 98' か!?" , posted Fri 26 Nov 01:42post reply

quote:
How many editions are we at of KOF98, now? ...

98 vanilla,
99 dream match,
98um arcade,
98um ps2,
98um Final Edition

To be fair, SNK told us straight up how it was gonna be way back in 1998: "Dream Match Never Ends"

Professor
2874th Post

MMCafe Owner

"KOFXIII Ratio tournament" , posted Sat 27 Nov 20:01:post reply

Carnival Arcade had its ratio tournament for KOFXIII today and it was pretty interesting. There were a total of 25 participants; Oz, Cap, and Nagihe were there. The tournament ran in double-elimination.

The matches were played on two cabinets and one of them was hooked to a DVD-HDD recorder. Those matches are scheduled to go up on Nico Video.

The tournament commentator was also a participant- whatever video that runs without commentaries will be his matches. He lost in the loser's bracket though.

The tournament ran under this ratio chart.

Max 4 points
4- K', Raiden

The game actually felt really well balanced with this Ratio implementation. 3-1-0 and 2-2-0 were the most popular combinations. i think there were only 2 or 3 players doing 4-0-0.

Most of the characters in the game seemed to be used by people, including Ralf despite that he's in Ratio 1. The Ratio 0s were pretty popular except for Mai, who I've only seen being used by one player.

Players seem to have figured out how to get the best out of Ryo and do some damaging combos.

I can't recall seeing Takuma and Goro being used by anyone. I don't recall seeing Elisabeth either. K' and Raiden were rarely seen.

The matches were mixed-- some players were really good, some felt like casuals, some players seemed a bit ambitious and whiffed big time on combos.

Here's a few example of matchups that were were seen.

Clark-Robert-Shen vs Ralf-Clark-Yuri
Athena-King-Kula vs Duolon-Ryo-Ash
Mai-Athena-Kula vs Duolon-Clark-Kim
Kim-Ryo-Yuri vs Ash-Clark-Yuri
Yuri-Leona-Vice vs Clark-Raiden-Ryo
Athena-Vice-Yuri vs Hwa-Iori-Vice
Mai-Athena-Kula vs Kim-Kyo-Chin
Ryo-Kyo-Maxima vs King-Robert-Leona
Robert-Shen-Clark vs Clark-Vice-Shen
Clark-Ralf-Yuri vs Vice-Kyo-Maxima
Joe-Ryo-Shen vs Duolon-Clark-Kim
K-Ryo-Vice vs Terry-Ryo-Iori
Kensou-King-Ash vs Athena-Ash-Benimaru

[edit]
No videos yet

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 29 Nov 03:37]

Spoon
2053th Post

"Re(1):KOFXIII Ratio tournament" , posted Mon 29 Nov 06:58post reply

Sounds like it was a good time!

I remember a long, long time ago there were some debates about whether or not to ban Chun Li's SA2 in 3S not because it was too good, but because it made the game too dumb and not-fun.

I was recently wondering just what Ryo is good for in KOF13, since his style seems so... mediocre, I guess. He doesn't have terribly good rushing or zoning tools, he's not especially fast, and he can't deal huge damage in arbitrary situations. Kind of reminds me of CvS2 Ryo in being shiningly mediocre, except slightly more coherent. Just what is the strategy with him in KOF13?

Loona
357th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):KOFXIII Ratio tournament" , posted Mon 29 Nov 19:33post reply

quote:

The Ratio 0s were pretty popular except for Mai, who I've only seen being used by one player.

There's something stragely ironic about this, though that's probably the wrong word for the occasion.

As for Ryo, he can't be at his best since he's clearly too busy paying attention to learn a thing or two from Takuma Mr Karate!

ZamIAm
1797th Post

"Re(2):KOFXIII Ratio tournament" , posted Tue 30 Nov 02:41post reply

quote:
The Ratio 0s were pretty popular except for Mai, who I've only seen being used by one player.

There's something stragely ironic about this, though that's probably the wrong word for the occasion.

It's probably that people want to play more than just K' and Dropkick but can't in normal situations. A ratio tournament allows them to do that and in theory gives a chance to learn more about these other characters.

Kane317
22th Post

New Customer

"Re: Ryo" , posted Tue 30 Nov 04:04:post reply

quote:

I was recently wondering just what Ryo is good for in KOF13, since his style seems so... mediocre, I guess. He doesn't have terribly good rushing or zoning tools, he's not especially fast, and he can't deal huge damage in arbitrary situations. Kind of reminds me of CvS2 Ryo in being shiningly mediocre, except slightly more coherent. Just what is the strategy with him in KOF13?

Ryo is still Ryo. In XIII has has real good ground normals (much better than Robert's) but his air normals are just average. His sweep probably ranks right there with Andy's sweep as it's fast, safe, and a chunky hit box. His s.D is pretty damn good mixed with his qcf+P for zoning purposes. Together with his overhead, I'm beginning to think he's better than Robert although I maybe in the minority with that train of thought.

www.youtube.com/kane317

[this message was edited by Kane317 on Tue 30 Nov 04:04]

Loona
358th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):KOFXIII Ratio tournament" , posted Tue 30 Nov 04:22post reply

quote:

It's probably that people want to play more than just K' and Dropkick but can't in normal situations. A ratio tournament allows them to do that and in theory gives a chance to learn more about these other characters.

I meant as an aftermath of the XII "NO MAI NO BUY" thing - people who didn't care about the game were very vocal about that, so she was added to XIII with quite a flair, but now the people actually playing the game barely touch her. SNKP just can't win sometimes...

I like the idea of this ratio system though, as least as something that can change over time depending on how much use a character gets - maybe not in this form but, say, having a tournament award being higher the lower in the current ratio your characters are, or the less they were used in total in the tournament is somethin that could cause more characters to be explored over time.

I can only imagine what something like that could have done for another team-based game like MvC2 - like, if you picked a typical Storm/Magneto/Sentinel trio and got first place in a tournament, you might not get a cash prize as high as a guy that made it to 2nd or 3rd with Captain Commando/Dhalsim/Servbot.
Very unlikely, but would be fun to watch...

ZamIAm
1798th Post

"Re(4):KOFXIII Ratio tournament" , posted Tue 30 Nov 06:37post reply

quote:
I meant as an aftermath of the XII "NO MAI NO BUY" thing - people who didn't care about the game were very vocal about that, so she was added to XIII with quite a flair, but now the people actually playing the game barely touch her. SNKP just can't win sometimes...

Well, you gotta remember she has a glitch that completely screws her over against some characters (can't block on wakeup if a throw puts her in a back facing state.

mbisonhatclub
227th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):KOFXIII Ratio tournament" , posted Tue 30 Nov 08:41post reply

It sounds like SNKP should update the game with a programmable ratio system so arcade owners can hardwire their own settings in for these occasions

And fix Mai's little glitch so people who complained will actually use her

Spoon
2054th Post

"Re(4):KOFXIII Ratio tournament" , posted Tue 30 Nov 08:50post reply

quote:
I can only imagine what something like that could have done for another team-based game like MvC2 - like, if you picked a typical Storm/Magneto/Sentinel trio and got first place in a tournament, you might not get a cash prize as high as a guy that made it to 2nd or 3rd with Captain Commando/Dhalsim/Servbot.
Very unlikely, but would be fun to watch...

There actually are low-tier tournaments that used a similar idea. They'd outright ban the big 4, then put Tron, Doom, IM, Spiral, etc. into a group of which you are only allowed one on your team. I can't remember all the groupings and rules, but evidently they were pretty fun times.

Loona
360th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):KOFXIII Ratio tournament" , posted Tue 30 Nov 19:54post reply

quote:
It sounds like SNKP should update the game with a programmable ratio system so arcade owners can hardwire their own settings in for these occasions

Instead of something ardwired, I figure it'd make more sense for the ratios to update automatically based on character usage so you'd get something like the CvS ratio system.
Of course, if that meant some people would use up a lot of credits to lower the rank of characters they intend to use in a tournament by picking someone else frequently, I doubt arcade operators would mind.

Spoon
2055th Post

"Re(7):KOFXIII Ratio tournament" , posted Wed 1 Dec 01:44post reply

quote:

Instead of something ardwired, I figure it'd make more sense for the ratios to update automatically based on character usage so you'd get something like the CvS ratio system.
Of course, if that meant some people would use up a lot of credits to lower the rank of characters they intend to use in a tournament by picking someone else frequently, I doubt arcade operators would mind.

I'm not sure if I'd like such a system to be handled automatically simply because a big part of KOF is making a team of your favourite characters. Yeah, that might not fly in an environment like KOF13 where two of the characters are just so dominant, but it's just something that flys against part of the appeal of tag match/crossover/team battle games. Plus, some characters which are popular but aren't necessarily the best might get unfairly propped up! Just imagine if all the easy-to-use characters got pushed into high-ratio because of use, so that when real newbies try out the game, they are stuck with teams where 2/3 are really difficult/obscure characters because they don't have a choice but to!

The formula needs to be something more than just character usage, but it also needs to handle the problem of highly unpopular characters that have very high win percentages over a very small number of matches (e.g. if Chin is only picked 5 times compared to Raiden's 1000, but Chin wins all 5 of his matches while Raiden wins 900, Chin shouldn't be weighted higher than Raiden). Frankly I don't know what a good weighting algorithm is for this because I'm not a stats person.

Gundam VS allows you to pick a pair of anything you want. You can pick two high-cost MS if you want, but that tends to be disadvantageous. Of course, even among the different costs, each division has its own tiering (some of which I faintly remember where grievously discrepant). Just because one MS has bigger base numbers than another doesn't mean that it's more effective.

In Gundam there's this sense though that the point cost system makes sense, simply because the characters (i.e. the various suits and armors) are discrepant in their source material; Ball is supposed to be garbage, God Gundam is supposed to be almighty, etc. In CvS1 they tried to make big dudes/bosses high ratio, characters that look fast/light low ratio. It kind of makes intuitive sense, because then bosses can be legitimately "unbalanced" in a given matchup but can lose in being beaten by committee. Plus, it allows big bruising guys to be even tougher and even more bruising! It's like weight classing! But it makes the balancing odd and difficult, and ultimately CvS1 in tournament play degenerated into teams made largely of ratio 1s. I wonder if such a system couldn't be improved given the help of online updates, though.

I also wonder if the system couldn't be like Yugioh's: in the PSP and DS games, they have updated restricted/banned lists, so that when you play online you can guarantee that you will play people following the current standard ruleset. Would a human-mandated, but actively updated ratio system be better than some local but automated ratio system? I don't know!

Loona
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):KOFXIII Ratio tournament" , posted Wed 1 Dec 02:15post reply

The whole point of an automated system would be to push the usability of less-used characters up by making them more "expensive" in ratio cost, so you'd see more variety over time, but I guess that'd really work better in a CvSish system where team size could change.

In any case, the general principle could make for a fun online mode of a team-based fighting game - maybe the non-ranked alternative, or at least something with a separate rank of its own if viable.

In a game with such a large cast as the average KoF, there are characters I've only ever bothered to learn to see all the endings and then practically never touch them again, especially if they use a playstyle way outside my preferences, like grapplers.
One of the nice things about that series is that since you play with a team, at least one of the characters should be close enough to your style that you can get the hang of him well and leave him for last when you really want/need to win, and you get to start learning the others by pretty much alway throwing them first at the opponent unless you're going for a single-character win.

It's a nice principle when playing the CPU, so it could be fun to see it encouraged when playing other people even if at least casually online.

When you typically tend to pick your very best guys and don't take many risks - for example, I kinda like May Lee as a character concept, but I'm far from comfortable enough to use her online or even in things like challenges when practicing my Terry, Kim, Heidern or Takuma would help me win more.

Man, now I want a CvS3 or SvC2 that uses a dynamic character ratio system...

Kusanagi-Style
0th Post

PSN: Kusanagi-Style

New Customer

"Re(9):KOFXIII Ratio tournament" , posted Wed 1 Dec 10:04post reply

Well I think that the ratio thing is cool and all, but I think 4 points max is a little too strict they should of just left it at 6 or make it 7.

Toxico
5193th Post

"Re(10):KOFXIII Ratio tournament" , posted Wed 1 Dec 11:13:post reply

quote:
Well I think that the ratio thing is cool and all, but I think 4 points max is a little too strict they should of just left it at 6 or make it 7.

That's the whole point, Otherwise pretty much all of the attendees would have picked teams like K' + Kyo / Iori + Athena / Ryo (ratio 7). Having an strict ratio pretty much punches everyone in the face and if you were tier whoring the you'll have to rethink two spots of your team.

Then again, considering that a lot of people play "sets" of characters like Kyo + Iori, some complaining was easy to foresee.

And, of course; these ratio rules are by not means final

Edit : Tche- nico nico still hasn't uploaded tournament vids.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 1 Dec 11:14]

Professor
2878th Post

MMCafe Owner

"KOFXIII Ratio tournament Video 1" , posted Thu 2 Dec 09:20:post reply

For those without Nicovideo accounts
KOFXIII Ratio tournament Video, Part 1

For those with Nicovideo accounts
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12914901

These are the preliminaries- again, only one cabinet was recorded so it's 12 players out of the 25. If the uploader places all the footage, there should be the loser's brackets, semi-finals and finals on the way.

Looks like the commentator wasn't recorded for the matches. Better that way considering that microphone speech can be annoying on video.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 2 Dec 10:09]

Professor
2880th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):KOFXIII Ratio tournament Video 2" , posted Thu 2 Dec 19:30:post reply

Part 2 is up already.

For those without Nicovideo accounts
KOFXIII Ratio tournament Video, Part 2

For those with Nicovideo accounts
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12916897

Apparently the loser's bracket is cut out. This video includes the second preliminaries (frist two matches), semi-finals, and finals (1P:Fusapon / 2P:OZ).

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 2 Dec 20:02]

Toxico
5196th Post

"neo geo station (same old psn downloads)" , posted Tue 7 Dec 15:37:post reply

Current line up looks kinda too typical ald skul for me (not alternative ald skul, which is kinda more of my trend (?)...
Will I ever be able to clear Ninja Commando on this Bravia? Or kick the heck out of my friends in Garou Special? I do hope that time will tell.

For the time being ASO might prove to be a suitable drug.

edit : So, by checking the site I noticed that this little thing include as features.

System save : (this ought to be the same as the MVS inbuilt battery, which saved your configuration).
Save State : THE WARLDO! ¬¬ so, you can bump in the same stone a zillion of times until you clear magician lord? Then again this isn't that bad as some neogeo games probably can't be cleared normally in one sitting (Super Spy comes to mind).
Memory card : To save your highscores
Network mode : So, it's going to use netcode
Friend invite : So, private sessions.
Sound Player mode : キタキタキタキタ━━━(゚∀゚≡(゚∀゚≡゚∀゚)≡゚∀゚)━━━━!!
Replay mode : Saving your matches? In old games (like tentatively WH2jet and Garou Special?) キタ━━━(゚∀゚)━( ゚∀)━(  ゚)━(  )━(  )━(゚  )━(∀゚ )━(゚∀゚)━━━!!
"Original bug evasion procedure" or something : Supposedly, SNK has looked into game threatening bugs and has worked around them in a mode that allows you to back avoid them
Ingame manual : Themed after the actual original game manuals キタ━━━ヽ(∀゚ )人(゚∀゚)人( ゚∀)ノ━━━!!

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 7 Dec 16:30]

TheRedKnight
289th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):neo geo station (same old psn downloads" , posted Tue 7 Dec 16:39:post reply

Different pricing depending on the platform? Ehh...

EDIT: As much as I dislike the pricing, I will buy World Heroes Perfect, Fighter's History Dynamite or Real Bout 2 ASAP.

[this message was edited by TheRedKnight on Wed 8 Dec 03:19]

Toxico
5196th Post

"Re(2):neo geo station (same old psn downloads" , posted Tue 7 Dec 17:03post reply

quote:
Different pricing depending on the platform? Ehh...

Well, As people should suspect using their marvelous Meitantei Conan powers, it seems that the Psp versions lack most of the bonus features that I listed, while the Ps3 versions have them in full..... While to charge a different price between the psp and ps3 releases might be as improper as frenching your sister, at least we know there is a proper reason to explain it.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Nekros
310th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):neo geo station (same old psn downloads" , posted Tue 7 Dec 18:37post reply

I know most of the gamers loved classic SNK games, but what's the point giving us AGAIN the first Metal Slug, Garou, Ryuuko, KOF?
At this point we never get a proper release of most recent and polished titles, it would take aeons only to get all SNK franchise at the third iteration (it happened on Wiiware). Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the games but I'm also bored to see the same old games refurbished in any SNK project/collection.

I hope I will se one day a decent Gekka No Kenshi port, as well a MOTW one (not that crappy pixellated one on 360). And also, get a reprise of Blazing Star, in some way, one of the few NeoGeo non-snk titles I miss so much.

Syo
164th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):neo geo station (same old psn downloads" , posted Tue 7 Dec 20:32post reply

Any hints on AST options for the games that had them on NGCD/PSX?

Professor
2881th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):neo geo station (same old psn downloads" , posted Tue 7 Dec 21:22:post reply

Humm, 900 Points for first generation NeoGeo games seems a bit....

Even if the ports have a good net code, the chances of finding players online seems very slim.

Syo: There's no mention of an AST option.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 8 Dec 01:48]

Toxico
5198th Post

"Re(6):neo geo station (same old psn downloads" , posted Thu 9 Dec 09:20:post reply

quote:
Humm, 900 Points for first generation NeoGeo games seems a bit....

It's better than paying with my sould

SNK's youtube channel has uploaded trailers for all of these releases. So if you haven't ever in your life seen King getting naked in AoF 1, or the super secret special move el pataleta ranbu you should click ahoy on those links.

edit :

Some of those video descriptions are amazing as well; for example
quote:
""NEOGEO Station" is a service lets you purchase and download NEOGEO games, include a number of obscure titles that have never been imported before, for the PS3 and PSP."

Imported!? Engrish will never cease to be our favorite classic

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 9 Dec 09:51]

mbisonhatclub
228th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):neo geo station (same old psn downloads" , posted Thu 9 Dec 11:37post reply

quote:
Imported!? Engrish will never cease to be our favorite classic

Speaking of which, has anyone ever done REAL translations of the dialogue in KOF games? The ones in the localized editions I'm pretty sure were exaggerated or even altered to accomodate for SNK's desire to be "hip" and "cool" with their affinity for lovely grammar, or they'd include some pretty wacky interpretation of some pop Western culture reference which most Japanese wouldn't have understood.

Loona
362th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):neo geo station (same old psn downloads" , posted Thu 9 Dec 18:33post reply

quote:
Speaking of which, has anyone ever done REAL translations of the dialogue in KOF games? The ones in the localized editions I'm pretty sure were exaggerated or even altered to accomodate for SNK's desire to be "hip" and "cool" with their affinity for lovely grammar, or they'd include some pretty wacky interpretation of some pop Western culture reference which most Japanese wouldn't have understood.

I'd settle for accurate translations of the AoF2 endings.

Kusanagi-Style
1th Post

New Customer

"KOF XIII vids" , posted Tue 14 Dec 12:57post reply

Here is some new videos posted today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWaQpV8nGfo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKddivFm8Ek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atp-xXJGQKs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqmdF74SCJE

Here is some vids from the Duelling the KOF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5JZQV6qVEQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYcnf0ClM0A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hsnHXXRHEY

http://www.youtube.com/user/kusanagistyle

mbisonhatclub
233th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):KOF XIII vids" , posted Tue 14 Dec 14:56post reply

quote:
Here is some new videos posted today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWaQpV8nGfo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKddivFm8Ek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atp-xXJGQKs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqmdF74SCJE

Here is some vids from the Duelling the KOF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5JZQV6qVEQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYcnf0ClM0A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hsnHXXRHEY

Wow, the ratio system really makes a difference because these videos were terribly boring to watch

I basically skipped 90% of the footage only to find a couple of ok Matures and one Leona who basically took it up the ass from K` the entire round

The Yawn of Fighters XIII more like it (☞゚∀゚)☞

Loona
366th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):KOF XIII vids" , posted Wed 15 Dec 18:55post reply

Meanwhile, Mai gets included in another Queen's Blade thingy, after having starred in a stat/art book of it:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/14/queens-gate-special-chaos-recruits-mai-shiranui-for-psp-gals-strategy-rpg/

I recall Iroha also had her own book, so I wonder if she'll make it to this too. I don't care much, but it's a bit of visibility SNK stuff gets outside its usual fanbase.

kofoguz
878th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):KOF XIII vids" , posted Wed 15 Dec 20:35post reply

quote:
Meanwhile, Mai gets included in another Queen's Blade thingy, after having starred in a stat/art book of it:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/14/queens-gate-special-chaos-recruits-mai-shiranui-for-psp-gals-strategy-rpg/

I recall Iroha also had her own book, so I wonder if she'll make it to this too. I don't care much, but it's a bit of visibility SNK stuff gets outside its usual fanbase.

Is it me or did you guys see a Cham Cham cameo, too. Possible Abster alert ahead.

Professor
2885th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):KOF XIII vids" , posted Wed 15 Dec 23:43post reply

quote:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/9284c6110923071

badoor
154th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Regular Customer

"Re(4):KOF XIII vids" , posted Thu 16 Dec 00:14post reply

quote:

So...How far is SNK from Valis X territory?

Toxico
5204th Post

"Re(5):KOF XIII vids" , posted Thu 16 Dec 01:28post reply

quote:

So...How far is SNK from Valis X territory?

It's hard to say.... Valis X pretty much works there "full time". Right now SNK characters are like people that have regular lives with regular aspirations and whatnot once you meet them, but as soon as you lose sight of them they engage in a perverse parade of completely unnatural activities and it's hard to say either if they are forced in participating or not or if they are enjoying it or not.

Now we need to add a timid young maiden character that's there to prove that the rumors about her XX (her love interest) having a degenerated dual life are wrong and sets herself on a futile quest of gathering facts in order to prove his innocence (I bet this could turn to be a successful light novel or something (?))

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Kusanagi-Style
2th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):KOF XIII vids" , posted Fri 17 Dec 06:23post reply

Here is some A-cho vids of kof 13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuqQauqsSTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bOm5Qa6wHk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z09_fM1kgyE

http://www.youtube.com/user/kusanagistyle

Abster
363th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):KOF XIII vids" , posted Fri 17 Dec 08:34post reply

quote:

Is it me or did you guys see a Cham Cham cameo, too. Possible Abster alert ahead.

Here's your cameo.

Since it's Queen's Gate pretty much anyone licensed for it is fair game. Mina and Kasumi are just a couple more examples. You can also see Dizzy there.

I dislike what SNKP's done with Cham Cham as of late. They're subtracting years from her age and putting her in even more revealing clothing (Although her appearance in the summer olympics phone game from last year isn't bad).

Toxico
5207th Post

"Re(5):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sat 18 Dec 06:19:post reply

quote:

Since it's Queen's Gate pretty much anyone licensed for it is fair game. Mina and Kasumi are just a couple more examples. You can also see Dizzy there.

Famitsu has fugly line art and clearer shots of the game, and what's more important it has a list of the licensed copyrights that are going to be used for the game which I obviously don't care to translate nor list for you, har har.

While the prospect of getting Lili naked doesn't really spurts any type of fire in my gamer's soul, the fact that Capcom isn't listed there just made me smile... I wonder just how many millions they were asking just for using bland characters like Chun li or Sakura; instead of marvelous characters like Tron or Karin, har har har.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sat 18 Dec 06:28]

Stifu
379th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sat 18 Dec 06:39post reply

quote:
I dislike what SNKP's done with Cham Cham as of late.

Oh boy. You're still going on about that, after all this time.
We all know you're not comfortable with the changes they did to Cham Cham, as they give fuel to people who used to call you a pedo for being insanely obsessed with her. :D

Ah... I feel better after a little bit of easy trolling.

mbisonhatclub
235th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sat 18 Dec 07:16post reply

quote:
I dislike what SNKP's done with Cham Cham as of late.
Oh boy. You're still going on about that, after all this time.
We all know you're not comfortable with the changes they did to Cham Cham, as they give fuel to people who used to call you a pedo for being insanely obsessed with her. :D

Ah... I feel better after a little bit of easy trolling.

But you have to admit

SNK be getting desperate that targetting the pedo demograph gives them no shame

Abster
366th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sat 18 Dec 10:45:post reply

quote:

But you have to admit

With cloth tearing now readily available, who knows what low SNKP will stoop to now for its girls to make a quick buck? It's similar to the Valis X fiasco, almost.

[this message was edited by Abster on Sat 18 Dec 10:54]

mbisonhatclub
237th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sun 19 Dec 06:02post reply

quote:

But you have to admit

With cloth tearing now readily available, who knows what low SNKP will stoop to now for its girls to make a quick buck? It's similar to the Valis X fiasco, almost.

They've had battle-damage stuff before, back in 94-95 and the AOF games, of course, which is why I kind of write that off, though I recognize they're a little reaching with that anyway

But I'm mostly referring to their dumbass loli molesting games and loli shooting games and anything else that contains loli

Personally I wouldn't have minded if Shermie's clothing got battle damaged! That would have probably somewhat increased her fanbase to more than 4 people.

I'd like to know that SNKP are working as hard as they can to port KOFXIII to consoles--give us some news, tell us whether or not there's going to be extra content of some sort, anything but make us think that they're just sitting around jacking off to loli molesting games that they make.

TheRedKnight
291th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(8):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sun 19 Dec 09:07post reply

quote:

I'd like to know that SNKP are working as hard as they can to port KOFXIII to consoles--give us some news, tell us whether or not there's going to be extra content of some sort, anything but make us think that they're just sitting around jacking off to loli molesting games that they make.

They might just be keeping a low profile to avoid talking about online crap. I wonder how many emails they have received from their lovely fans regarding that.

mbisonhatclub
238th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sun 19 Dec 09:42post reply

quote:
They might just be keeping a low profile to avoid talking about online crap. I wonder how many emails they have received from their lovely fans regarding that.

So in short, they're going to dodge the issue continuously instead of addressing it like real professional men in hopes that everybody just eventually forgets about it. Right. It shows that they have so much customer relations here and not just old people hiding behind the glossiness of their products. And lolis.

At least Arcsys tries to keep with its fans, however few the fans of Blazblue fans there are

ZamIAm
1799th Post

"Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Mon 20 Dec 08:29post reply

quote:
So in short, they're going to dodge the issue continuously instead of addressing it like real professional men in hopes that everybody just eventually forgets about it. Right. It shows that they have so much customer relations here and not just old people hiding behind the glossiness of their products. And lolis.

At least Arcsys tries to keep with its fans, however few the fans of Blazblue fans there are

Yeah, SNK needs to do a better job at promoting stuff. I feel that's a major reason why their products aren't as popular.

Toxico
5212th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Thu 23 Dec 15:36post reply

Neo geo station is "on" and there is actually mixed opinions about the netcode. The fact that there are positive comments stuck here and there is just a huge contrast to pretty much every downloadable SNK release so far. For what I was reading this thing wasn't actually developed by SNK, so even if by some case the netcode ends up being good, that won't be any kind of measuring stick that will hint how they have raised their standards or something.

Neo Geo station sections have been "opened" by SNK, namely the Game section and a Blog section

The other day SNK uploaded a New year's gift Wallpaper. The fact that they uploaded it "this early" kinda hits that they have a few weeks off and that they are essentially not going to do anything else at all until January.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Professor
2889th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Thu 23 Dec 23:50:post reply

With BBCSII and SSF4AE now out, KOFXIII is pretty much stale at the arcades. So here's something different for a change.

Videos of FALCOON PUUNCCH KOF Premium Edition、 playable at Sammy's online site which was recently a target of a massive hack attack.

KOF Pachislot pt.1
KOF Pachislot pt.2
KOF Pachislot pt.3
KOF Pachislot pt.4

For those with nico accounts-
pt.1/pt.2/pt.3/pt.4

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 24 Dec 00:37]

Ishmael
3958th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Fri 24 Dec 09:55post reply

quote:
With BBCSII and SSF4AE now out, KOFXIII is pretty much stale at the arcades. So here's something different for a change.

Videos of FALCOON PUUNCCH KOF Premium Edition、 playable at Sammy's online site which was recently a target of a massive hack attack.

KOF Pachislot pt.1
KOF Pachislot pt.2
KOF Pachislot pt.3
KOF Pachislot pt.4

For those with nico accounts-
pt.1/pt.2/pt.3/pt.4

An awful lot happens to Kyo during the day considering he was just out for a stroll around the neighborhood.

Falcoon's art was a good choice for that project. The characters managed to look quite lively even though there wasn't a great deal of animation in there.

Toxico
5215th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Fri 24 Dec 13:53post reply

quote:
With BBCSII and SSF4AE now out, KOFXIII is pretty much stale at the arcades.

That would be so, if you didn't consider the existence of the "Fighting old men all out battle" series.

Ossan Toushi ga KoF XIII de Taisen Shitemiru! 1 / 4

Ossan Toushi ga KoF XIII de Taisen Shitemiru! 2 / 4

Ossan Toushi ga KoF XIII de Taisen Shitemiru! 3 / 4

Ossan Toushi ga KoF XIII de Taisen Shitemiru! 4 / 4

"Pure" nico links.

1 / 4 ## 2 / 4 ## 3 / 4 ## 4 / 4

And I must add that, we can say whatever we want about Falcoon, but having Ryo running over Kyo on his bike is something that must be preserved for prosperity.

Also I do realize that between fighting All out fighting between old men and Ryo soaring through people with his bike you can't possible have a better Christmas.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

mbisonhatclub
242th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sat 25 Dec 02:06post reply

quote:
That would be so, if you didn't consider the existence of the "Fighting old men all out battle" series.

"Pure" nico links.
1 / 4 ## 2 / 4 ## 3 / 4 ## 4 / 4
Two of those videos don't work, which are parts 2 and 4

It's nice to see a little changeup, but it seems like the players don't really know what they're doing with the characters, and Raiden is still irritating to watch in action, and they really need to work on a proration system that penalizes for repeat moves in combos, or maybe that dropkick prorate followups down to a small fraction of their original damage, because you ask yourself a question: why waste meter on a Neomax when you can do more damage just by using a meterless four move sequence that may have a better chance of hitting? It makes the Neomax kind of deprecrated

I did almost blow a load seeing Clark's Neomax being used, though

I kinda wish jumping trajectories and run/walk speeds weren't so homogeinized

And for some reason, people are going around saying stuff about CYS on consoles and I'm wondering where this rumor is coming from and why because it hurts my heart for them to tease me like this!

Professor
2891th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sun 26 Dec 23:56post reply

Carnival arcade KOFXIII ratio match video - Nico

Carnival arcade will once again be holding a ratio tournament on Jan 29, this time in a 2-on-2 format. The ratio chart will be different from last time. I probably won't be checking it out since I'm not that much a fan of 2-on's.

Max points = 6
Ratio / Character

4 K', Raiden
3 Andy, Shen, Kyo, Iori, Kula, Elisabeth, Takuma
2 Leona, Ash, Benimaru, Yuri, Kim, Duolon, Chin
1 Goro, Terry, Kensou, Mature, Maxima, Joe, Robert, King, Hwa, Ralf, Mai, Athena, Clark, Ryo, Vice

mbisonhatclub-- what's CYS?

mbisonhatclub
244th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Mon 27 Dec 00:40:post reply

quote:
mbisonhatclub-- what's CYS?

Chris Yashiro Shermie
EDIT: I just finished watching the ratio match video and it was very exciting! It goes to show how much more fun matches are when it's not just K`/Raiden/Kyo

Finally some (albeit short-lived) Kensou footage

Also, DEM NEOMAXES. King and Vice nailing their neomaxes had me in awe

[this message was edited by mbisonhatclub on Mon 27 Dec 04:57]

ZamIAm
1803th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Mon 27 Dec 05:23post reply

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but why do I almost never see Vice players go for her command grab?

mbisonhatclub
245th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Mon 27 Dec 05:57:post reply

quote:
Maybe I'm missing something obvious but why do I almost never see Vice players go for her command grab?

Probably lack of combo opportunities for the move? If they could do her EX handwhip from it, they'd probably do it more, but the EX handwhip alone seems to be their way of handling everything

The drive system may need to be fixed up to be encouraging more sporadic gameplay so that moves don't just become deprecated like that, and the prorationing (or damage scaling to you guys?) of combos really needs to be fixed so that some moves are scaled down more than others when used as a followup, or they'll have a completely different hit reaction when a certain amount of hits in a combo has been accumulated so that after a certain number of hits, nothing else can really follow it up and then they are forced to go back into an oki game instead (which I prefer, not Litchi-length combos)--I've got a barrel of ideas circulating in my head on how to fix stuff, but of course, I don't work for SNKP so J( 'ー`)し

[this message was edited by mbisonhatclub on Mon 27 Dec 05:58]

Toxico
5222th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sat 1 Jan 07:36:post reply

Before people starts posting crap :

28 / 12 is "St Innocent", an equivalent of "April's Fools", and it seems that in Spain this is celebrated quite actively. Due to that we have that there is some incredible hideous Billy Kane Fake sprite + console release details, so don't buy that silly tale.

Some people are slow when it counts. Heck, I didn't even heard of this until someone pointed it out; probably has to do with the fact that I don't check dubious news sites.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sat 1 Jan 07:41]

Professor
2895th Post

MMCafe Owner

"What may explain some things about KOF." , posted Sun 2 Jan 17:10:post reply

[edit] Fixed some typos and wordings.

For anyone wondering where some of the recent rumors regarding SNKP's situation with the KOF franchise's current development statuses are coming from, it stems from a programmer, who supposedly worked for the company and quit in late September after six years under their payroll.

I was taking it with a grain of salt and didn't think it was worth a mention due to the lack of legitimacy until recently, when I realized that he was talking together with Dokimajo producer Yoshiyasu Matsushita about the company's internal situation.

His tweets has some very.. 'raw' tidbits, such as this entry
"Around the end of the development period, I was sleeping under my desk with a towel rolled around me, laying on newspaper. It's just memories now, like the way how I almost caught a cold with the air conditioner on while asleep, or like how I hit my head on my desk when I woke up. XII's console [development] period was seriously really bad."

He avoids directly naming his ex-company, but there's quite a number of entries about the workplace and its treatment. Like the way how his supervisor ordered his staff to work on a sleepover for a full week without letting them go home (note: the company doesn't have a shower room). Or like in another instance, how he wasn't allowed to even get a replacement for a very unconfortable chair and had to wait for another staff to quit so he could swap it. The company simply seems to be tight on money.

I symphasize with the programmer. He very obviously loves coding, enough that he'd buy expensive reference books on his own money since his company isn't willing to pick up the expense.

For anyone nutty enough to scroll all the way to the end of September to read some entries of what seems to be about XIII's home port situation, feel free.

Some snippets, but not all, are provided below. The figures sound small, and I assume that he's just talking in terms of the number of programmers... or is he. Either way, it can somewhat explain the bad net code in XII.

(Highlight to view) -

"It seems like the rest has to be done by two staffs and one part-timer at my company too.. I guess there's a lot of projects like that." *1

"I had quit without worrying because they were saying that the home port is going to be outsourced" *2

"I heard later that they were going to do it in-house, and I'm left feeling like, wait what...?" *3

"Just to add, the previous home version for the PS3 and Xbox360 was developed with 5 people, so as a company, they might have been thinking that "it's no problem if just one or two people left." Acheiving results is important, but I don't like the idea that we had set a weird previous example..." *4

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 3 Jan 04:18]

Luther Blissett
2th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sun 2 Jan 21:35post reply

These are bad bad news for us waiting for the Home port.

Digitalboy
716th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sun 2 Jan 23:29post reply

One word on 13's port on PS3/X360 (a word I have not used in a while):
<ahem> AAARMMMAAAH-GEEEHHH-DOOON!!!

Luther Blissett:
Welcome to the MMCafe BBS.
quote:
These are bad bad news for us waiting for the Home port.

I don't know how to live

Professor
2896th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Mon 3 Jan 15:14:post reply

Welcome to the bbs Luther!

Yes it's very disheartening.
It's possible that things may have changed in the months since the entries were made.
But can they find new staff in just 2-3 months or turn around their development enviornment? Humm..

Either way, it's inevidable that the game will eventually come out for the home platforms.

In another news, the CES in Anaheim is taking place January 6-9. A post at Neogaf.com by user Choppasmith shows for some reason that Capcom and SNK are printed together as an exhibitor for the event's gaming showcase.

For those who want to see it directly from CES's press releases, here's the PDF from their site.
http://www.cesweb.org/docs/2011_Gaming_Showcase_Flyer.pdf

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 3 Jan 16:07]

Luther Blissett
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Mon 3 Jan 18:02post reply

Thank you Professor and Digital Boy for welcoming me.

I think XIII will come out anyway, like Professor said, because its just too big a franchise to not try and sell it.

I mean this time it has a story, more characters and taunts. I know that for most of us those things are not vital , but i was surprised last year when i saw how many fans actually played KOF mostly for the "Lore".

I can't imagine how they can work out a decent port with just ~5 programmers.
I guess i will just wait and see. I hope CES will bring us a miracle:)

Toxico
5223th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Mon 3 Jan 23:02:post reply

2k2 um on xbald live got patched again... This time supposedly it was for the best, and now the online isn't as bad as it should.

edit : It looks like.... there it was no patch at all and I was made a fool of, hohohoho.

I remember the days where friends were guys that you could easily boss around and physically coerce into activities of your liking, instead of stupid drunks that don't pay their share of the booze and spread unaccurate internet rumors, sheesh.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 5 Jan 08:34]

badoor
159th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Tue 4 Jan 01:06post reply

I hope TOSE comes from the shadows and ports XIII.

As for the CES thing. With Ono & Dimps having their hands full with SFxT and Eighting with MvC3, I'm not sure that we can expect CvS3 from the Capcom Side. It would probably just end up being an announcement of a CvS2 port on Xbald/PS3....Or it's Snk vs Capcom 2 by SNK.

Digitalboy
718th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Tue 4 Jan 02:40post reply

Hooray! Now I'm the center of attention.
quote:
Thank you Professor and Digital Boy for welcoming me.

I don't know how to live

Ishmael
3970th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Tue 4 Jan 02:41post reply

quote:
I mean this time it has a story, more characters and taunts. I know that for most of us those things are not vital , but i was surprised last year when i saw how many fans actually played KOF mostly for the "Lore".

I suspect the SNKP staff -what there is of it- are probably huge fans of KoF lore which makes XII all the more sad. It has to be more than just the love of programming jump kicks that keeps people working under the deplorable conditions that the Professor summarized.

The CES thing is funny because of how much of a tizzy people are getting into over something that could be nothing more than a listing error. If so much energy can be generated from a few words on a flyer it will be interesting to see how much people will get themselves worked up if something actually comes from that slash.

mbisonhatclub
246th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Wed 5 Jan 10:14post reply

quote:
I remember the days where friends were guys that you could easily boss around and physically coerce into activities of your liking, instead of stupid drunks that don't pay their share of the booze and spread unaccurate internet rumors, sheesh.

Do let us know who he is, I like getting acquainted with these types

Toxico
5225th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Fri 7 Jan 01:39:post reply

A player team (responsible for the "Fluffy competition series" ( or 「ふわふわ対戦」 )) as scrounged up a small combo video for the main characters of the current saga, it's a very nice watch.

Tútubo

Niconico ( Redirector version )

Fluffly blog

edit :

Gals Island Beauty Dungeon.... No, I won't ask.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 7 Jan 02:07]

Gojira
2686th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Fri 7 Jan 02:10post reply

quote:

Gals Island Beauty Dungeon.... No, I won't ask.

Zoo animal bondage?

Professor
2898th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Fri 7 Jan 02:14:post reply

Huh so there's a blog now! thanks for sharing.
BTW, there's a new tag/button for nico links for ease of posting.

On a side note, I didn't notice until recently how dramatically different the game feels when the input timeframe option is changed in the game's settings. Some of the most simplest moves like K's Iron Trigger> Second Shell/Shoot feels as hard as 1-frame links in SF4. (ok maybe not that strict, but it's a close call)

Most arcades have the option on, but a few of the higher competition places have it off, apparently to disable Raiden's GCCD dropkick combo since it can't be done without the additional input frames.

[edit] changed CD dropkick to GCCD dropkick.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 8 Jan 01:47]

Loona
371th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sat 8 Jan 01:01post reply

quote:

In another news, the CES in Anaheim is taking place January 6-9. A post at Neogaf.com by user Choppasmith shows for some reason that Capcom and SNK are printed together as an exhibitor for the event's gaming showcase.

For those who want to see it directly from CES's press releases, here's the PDF from their site.
http://www.cesweb.org/docs/2011_Gaming_Showcase_Flyer.pdf

Nothing came of this so far ;_;

Whom could we possibly complain to in the CES organization to prevent them from messing with our hopes like this even again?....

Spoon
2080th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sat 8 Jan 01:14post reply

quote:
Huh so there's a blog now! thanks for sharing.
BTW, there's a new tag/button for nico links for ease of posting.

On a side note, I didn't notice until recently how dramatically different the game feels when the input timeframe option is changed in the game's settings. Some of the most simplest moves like K's Iron Trigger> Second Shell/Shoot feels as hard as 1-frame links in SF4. (ok maybe not that strict, but it's a close call)

Most arcades have the option on, but a few of the higher competition places have it off, apparently to disable Raiden's CD dropkick since it can't be done without the additional input frames.

Hmm.... so they're just doing that to prevent his regular CD knockdown move? Wouldn't that also prevent anybody else from doing that? And does it also screw up rolling?

Professor
2898th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sat 8 Jan 01:50post reply

quote:
Hmm.... so they're just doing that to prevent his regular CD knockdown move? Wouldn't that also prevent anybody else from doing that? And does it also screw up rolling?

Oops, my typo. It was supposed to have read GCCD dropkick-- fixed it just now, thanks.

There's a combo where you can pull out Raiden's drop kicks right out of his guard cancel CD attack. It basically lets Raiden turtle until he's charged up for an instant kill. With the additional input frames turned off, it can't be done.

Professor
2900th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XIII vids" , posted Sun 9 Jan 21:08:post reply

quote:
I didn't notice until recently how dramatically different the game feels when the input timeframe option is changed in the game's settings. Some of the most simplest moves like K's Iron Trigger> Second Shell/Shoot feels as hard as 1-frame links in SF4. (ok maybe not that strict, but it's a close call)

To elaborate a bit more on the previously mentioned input timeframes, technically, it's not really meant to be a setting that increases input time although that turns out to be the result. It's more of a byproduct for a setting that deals with issues on the Vewlix, the Taito Type X family's official arcade cabinet. For anyone interested, here's an explanation.

Taito currently offers three products in its Vewlix lineup, two of which is mainstream.
Red Cabinet (Vewlix F)- The standard cabinet. Costs around 500,000 yen per unit.
Blue Cabinet (Vewlix L)- The cheap cabinet. Costs around 320,000 yen per unit.

The Blue cabinet is affordable for arcade operators, but hardcore players tend to despise it. One of the reasons behind the huge price difference is that it uses a cheaper LCD about 2 frames slower on average.

For KOF13, SNKP coped with the latency differences between the two Vewlix cabinets by providing an option that purposely adds two frames of latency into the game (apparently just input latency) so that playing on the red cabinet would feel about the same response speed as on the blue cabinet. It should be on as the default shipment setting.

When the option is turned off, the simulatated latency gets cut off. But the thing is, the input timeframe shortens as well. So for instance, a command that has a window of 4 frames would shorten to 2 frames.

Many of the arcades use third party LCD cabinets, and you never know which setting the game is on until you play it.

As of December, Taito now offers the new Lightblue Cabinet (Vewlix Diamond), which has a good LCD like the red cabinet and an improved I/O board. The system is available for the relatively affordable price of around 780,000 yen per set of 2 units. (Around 870,000 w/ nesicalive server.)

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 10 Jan 00:19]

mbisonhatclub
249th Post

Frequent Customer

"SNKPlaymore at CES" , posted Mon 10 Jan 18:11post reply

I'm such a jerk, thanks Dave

Digitalboy
720th Post

"Re(1):SNKPlaymore at CES" , posted Tue 11 Jan 00:18post reply

So that was what that booth was representing...
quote:

I don't know how to live

kofoguz
882th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):SNKPlaymore at CES" , posted Tue 11 Jan 00:45post reply

quote:

I dont get it they were supposed to be at CES but didnt show up last minute? What's the story?

mbisonhatclub
250th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):SNKPlaymore at CES" , posted Tue 11 Jan 08:30post reply

quote:
I dont get it they were supposed to be at CES but didnt show up last minute? What's the story?
I'd like to know, actually!

The picture was just found on google and actually has nothing to do with CES, but I'd thought I'd be a jerk and make fun of the fact that despite the fact SNKP were supposed to be in attendance, there is absolutely no reports on what happened, if anything at all, and there probably was nothing to report to begin with, and they probably weren't there in the first place.

This SNKP bullshit is driving me nuts and making me switch to Capcom's side to play MVC3 instead. They don't even say "Hey we're here we're still working on console port," they just...well, you get what I'm saying, I think. I really would like to let them know I don't like how they operate, as if that would do any good.

Digitalboy
721th Post

"Re(2):SNKPlaymore at CES" , posted Tue 11 Jan 08:41post reply

It was just a joke. It is not their booth. Some company showing off their latest top of the line fans.
quote:

I don't know how to live

Professor
2902th Post

MMCafe Owner

"NeoGeoStation's shell program an M2 product" , posted Fri 14 Jan 03:16:post reply

This is old news, but for anyone including myself who's missed it from the holiday seasons heat.

http://www.mtwo.co.jp/news_en/20101207.html

[edit] The translation work on the English press release is horrible. To summarize what's supposed to be written there, M2 provided to SNKP the NeoGeo Station shell programs for the PS3 and PSP, as well as a suite/enviornment for porting NeoGeo games to the two platforms. Or to put it another way, the whole job including the networking was done by M2.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 14 Jan 05:41]

Ishmael
3980th Post

"Re(1):NeoGeoStation's shell program an M2 pro" , posted Fri 14 Jan 10:15post reply

While on the subject of SNK's on-line presence, has anyone checked out the old SNK titles now on PSN? I saw they had a Neo Geo Station bundle but $79.99 USD seemed pretty steep just for ten titles that includes stuff like League Bowling.

Grave
1351th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):NeoGeoStation's shell program an M2 pro" , posted Fri 14 Jan 11:28post reply

quote:
While on the subject of SNK's on-line presence, has anyone checked out the old SNK titles now on PSN? I saw they had a Neo Geo Station bundle but $79.99 USD seemed pretty steep just for ten titles that includes stuff like League Bowling.

Yeah, too much money for ancient shit. Why do they always start at the back of the NG library? LB2. TWINKLE STAR SPRITES. GAROU. I WILL PAY MONEY FOR THIS YOU STUPID IDIOTS. I hear the netcode sucks anyway. Surprised? Yeah, no.

Still, G-Mantle showed up in their ad for the bundle. I appreciate that much.

karasu99
509th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):NeoGeoStation's shell program an M2 pro" , posted Fri 14 Jan 12:48post reply

quote:

Yeah, too much money for ancient shit. Why do they always start at the back of the NG library? LB2. TWINKLE STAR SPRITES. GAROU. I WILL PAY MONEY FOR THIS YOU STUPID IDIOTS. I hear the netcode sucks anyway. Surprised? Yeah, no.

Well, $7.99 for each of the ten might be high for some of them, but for my money, it's a bargain for Metal Slug, even all these years later. As much as I hate to dis some of the early Neo Geo titles, I'm not sure who it is who would be that interested in League Bowling (unless it's a bowling fan? maybe?).

Still, I like the idea of Neo Geo titles being rereleased in any form. That way they may never disappear from the world.

Professor
2903th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):NeoGeoStation's shell program an M2 pro" , posted Fri 14 Jan 19:22:post reply

quote:

It's a matter of maximizing profits since they won't be able to make money off from old titles if they begin their releases from the newer games since nobody would want them. Cheap tactic, yes.

The netcode reports are somewhat conflicting. Most users in Japan are reporting that it's perfectly smooth and brings the arcade experience to the home, whileas overseas users seem to have a more mixed reaction.

There's also the need to consider that the first generation titles might move too slow to notice any latency. The net code will be put to its real test when the faster, 3rd generation titles begin to roll out.

A price at about 20-30 credits at an arcade isn't such a bad deal and hopefully they won't jack it up for the later releases.

Still though, a bundle is a really nutty idea.
It totals to almost two Arcana Heart 3 discs, released just yesterday.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 14 Jan 21:01]

Oroch
1110th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):NeoGeoStation's shell program an M2 pro" , posted Mon 17 Jan 19:34post reply

quote:

i bought it, but im such a rube

Professor
2907th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Producer Kukino to have departed SNKP" , posted Wed 19 Jan 03:03:post reply

[edit] made things more legible.

Since last year when the ex-programmer tweeted the insides of his former company, it's also caused some speculation amongst fans since he wrote that the producer is no longer with the company. He didn't clarify whether it was the exec or non-exec producer. The subject died down and it recently came back up again probably due to the upcoming slew of fighting games, and people found an answer on facebook.

It seems that the one who's gone is the non-exec producer Masaaki Kukino, according to his self-resume in his profile (posted below).

Masaaki Kukino
SNK Playmore / Jun 2006 to Nov 2010
(Unnamed) London company / Mar 2003 to Mar 2006
Konami / Apr 1986 to Mar 2003

He now resides in Kyoto according to his Twitter. (Not a direct link.

Another SNKP employee (a programmer different from the previous Twitterer') has also departed the company as of mid-November.

Thus so it seems that multiple staff have left the company as of late last year.

Coincedently, Metal Slug creator AKIO also wrote in late december that he's departed his company of the past seven years. Whether he's been working for SNKP is unclear but the figures do add up (established in 2003 from the former Playmore).

And on a different subject. Since there's probably visitors that don't check the other threads... This is from Karasu on the main game thread--

I just happened to see this, but sadly (?!?) no images are presented. It appears that Falcoon is still getting some work these days.

Oh boy.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 19 Jan 07:21]

Professor
2910th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Producer Kukino to have departed SNKP" , posted Wed 19 Jan 23:21:post reply

For further topics on SNKP's current status, please move here.
This thread is getting too long to begin with.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 19 Jan 23:22]