FFVII Remake Thread Part 1 Edition - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3358 Views )
Professor
5653th Post

user profileedit/delete message
MMCafe Owner

"FFVII Remake Thread Part 1 Edition" , posted Tue 11 Jun 23:11post reply

The release date of the Final Fantasy VII remake has been officially announced together with the new trailer that shows various parts from early on. The game is slated for worldwide release on March 3. Feel free to throw in your views or discussions on this thread which will probably linger around until the release (well, it's only 9 months ahead)!

E3 Announcement Footage

Trailer (Long Ver)

Replies:
Professor
5655th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):FFVII Remake Thread Part 1 Edition" , posted Tue 11 Jun 23:38:post reply

I'll throw in my few cents to start up this thread.

In Japan the game's MSRP has been announced as 8,980 yen + tax. That's pretty steep and a bit worrysome considering this game will be released in pieces, and this is only the first part that takes place in Midgal. Square Enix boasting that the game has enough volume for 2 Bluray discs and content to play as a standalone can be taken as either 1) they're actually confident, or 2)they're paying lip service for a game that needs to be released right before their fiscal to recoup development costs.

Putting that aside, with tax the FF7 Remake comes up to 9,878 which is almost akin to the 9,800 yen sticker price that SFC cartridges had back in the yesteryears. Thinking about that suddenly brought back flashbacks of when FF4 came out. Back in those days, people lined up and bought together the console with whatever new Final Fantasy game that came out (I certainly did so myself, up to FFX). In the same way, it could very well be possible that FFVII may end up being the title that sells consoles for the PS4, at least in Japan. Admittedly, it feels almost odd that the game is coming out near the end of the console's life span.

On a side note, it's very interesting how the gaming market has changed over the years. Back in the 90s, the customers lining up to pick up games were mostly children and their parents. Nowadays it's mostly adults. It certainly shows how the demograph in Japan has changed over the 30 somewhat years.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 12 Jun 02:50]

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):FFVII Remake Thread Part 1 Edition" , posted Tue 11 Jun 23:41post reply

Loved Tifa's reveal. She should have had that look in Advent Children instead of being discount Rinoa.

The banter between Cloud and Barret during the boss fight was great. If we get custom dialogue for different party members that'll definitely enhance the replayability.

Summon Materia announced as DLC...makes me wonder if they'll actually charge for Knights of the Round as a shortcut for people who refuse to do the grind.

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Anti-FFVII thread returns" , posted Wed 12 Jun 01:31post reply

Hummmmmmm. While I'll never tire of the (sort of joking?) anti-FFVII thread and I have no nostalgia for the game itself, I do have nostalgia for the wonderful 1990s internet fan culture and art that surrounded it, in both languages. Things that occur to me:

-Is Nomura still directing this? Given the ease with which Square banished the series' creator, Sakaguchi, for the Spirits Within, you'd think that Nomura's total inability to bring out a game (KH3, FFXV) within half a decade of its target date would be a problem. Either way, given his lack of basic taste and intelligence on display in Advent Children, I imagine the redeeming features of the original to be almost entirely obscurred.

-And on that note, is releasing this episodically at the end of the PS4 era wise? This could ironically end up reproducing one of the worst parts of the original, the wildly varying quality of the movie graphics (from mini characters to full-height detail).

-That sure is a lot of numbers flying around! Last time, we talked about the need for goons to go down quickly to avoid wasting my time, and I hope they do.

-Freeter is right about Tifa ditching the Rinoa look, even if Capcom's black underwear curse is spreading.

-The dialogue variations and love point system was one of the better parts of the original...will it survive in CG world?

-Even if it grounds out after the first volume, at least they'll have the first few hours in Midgard, which are the highlight of a game that I find really dreary and disappointing anyway.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

"Re(1):Anti-FFVII thread returns" , posted Wed 12 Jun 02:04:post reply

I really liked how Tifa looked in Advent Children! I think she looked thoroughly Asian, and the way her face behaved made her really different from Rinoa and gave her a lot of charisma!

I also like how she looks in this one, but I think the wider, livelier eyes suit her better. The drooping eyes don't read the same way to me. Her clothes look great, retaining lots of her original design of sexy + spunky and now with extra cool added in. To me, I had to think for a moment about what was actually different, because it felt quite natural!

And even though only a few characters are allowed to be actually muscular in FF7, I like that Tifa has got visible abs. Muscle definition on women fighters makes them look way cooler while simultaneously being really sexy!

[this message was edited by Spoon on Wed 12 Jun 02:28]

PSN: SeizyaStarlight
CFN: n/a

"'Conflicted Fantasy'" , posted Wed 12 Jun 03:01post reply

What's with Doll Festival Day being a popular release day all of a sudden? The Switch was released on the festival day. Now, we have the remake of "Final Fantasy VII".

I'm trying real hard to like the remake. The game is sandwiched between "VI" and "V" as my favorite game of the series. I like Tifa's slight change to her outfit, as her "Advent" one was never an outfit that made me giddy. (I don't hate it, but it is an outfit that couldn't get me giddy.) Oh, and Mr. T is still Mr. T.

Being blunt here, the remake feels eager to be a blunder. I get that the battle mechanics changes needed to be implanted to get a new audience in, but I still don't like them. It seems that doing tasks like using items feels like playing various "KoF" games. If what I'm seeing is true, the game has gone backwards more than it should. I want to find my summons, not buy them with real money.

Yes, it's becoming hard for me to be real giddy of this remake. At least "2002's" remake made me type "'2002' went from above average at best to being a good 'KoF'". I feel like "VII's" remake is going in the opposite direction of "Unlimited Match". I could use words of encouragement to be honest.

Professor
5656th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Anti-FFVII thread returns" , posted Wed 12 Jun 03:14:post reply

The new look for Tifa seems to be getting mixed reviews. Personally I think it's fine-- it can't beat the very original but it's still way better than the more recent retakes on them like that from Dissidia.

It's applaudable that the designers decided to give the character more of an "equipped for battle" arrangement in comparison to before like the arm protectors, and having a thicker strap that looks like she just came off a parachute. The previous costume didn't have any of that (leave aside the materia gloves) so it felt like she hopped out of her bartender job forgetting to prep out, which if it was in reality must feel really awkward, like a Mcdonalds staff still in their working cloth holding on a burger flipper and stopping by a Lawson to buy their dailies and reading through a few magazines before heading home. (please do not ask me how I came up with that example)

That's not to say that a Mcdonalds worker flipping enemies in a Fantasy RPG wouldn't be awesome, which was the same reason why Tifa was great in the original FF7. You had a swordsman, human ammo, bartender, and a flower girl in the same party.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 12 Jun 04:56]

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):FFVII Remake Thread Part 1 Edition" , posted Wed 12 Jun 05:44post reply

quote:
In Japan the game's MSRP has been announced as 8,980 yen + tax. That's pretty steep and a bit worrysome considering this game will be released in pieces, and this is only the first part that takes place in Midgal. Square Enix boasting that the game has enough volume for 2 Bluray discs and content to play as a standalone can be taken as either 1) they're actually confident, or 2)they're paying lip service for a game that needs to be released right before their fiscal to recoup development costs.

Just being released in parts is somewhat worrying to me. Will the entire game see release? It was only last year that Square Enix announced the cancellation of three FFXV's DLC stories.

This FFVII remake has had a very troubled history. If something goes wrong (or even just not right enough), will Square Enix stay committed to finishing it, or will they decide to finally cut their losses? Will we see a marked decline in quality, or improvements, or no change at all in later episodes? Square apparently hasn't even decided how many episodes the remake will be?

"Re(3):FFVII Remake Thread Part 1 Edition" , posted Wed 12 Jun 05:59post reply

quote:
If something goes wrong (or even just not right enough), will Square Enix stay committed to finishing it, or will they decide to finally cut their losses? Will we see a marked decline in quality, or improvements, or no change at all in later episodes?
This is a smarter take on what I was trying to get at: will the remake be rushed onto PS4 with vacillating quality, will it spread between PS4 and PS5, with graphical quality inconsistency as pronounced as the "ass-tastic square-faced mini Cloud in a wheelchair falls into Lifestream in Mideel" vs. "fully proportional Cloud rides a motorcycle," or will the whole thing just stay unfinished for a decade like Shenmue?
quote:
That's not to say that a Mcdonalds worker flipping enemies in a Fantasy RPG wouldn't be awesome, which was the same reason why Tifa was great in the original FF7. You had a swordsman, human ammo, bartender, and a flower girl in the same party.
I've been watching Professor's McDonalds analogy expand through edits all day and I love it. Tifa (OG) rules, but "sexy bartender" was ironically the most sophisticated design in a game featuring "saiya-jin with huge sword," "machine-gun man," "lion," "vampire," etc., which is probably both why they caught on broadly and why I was so put off by them after Amano's artistry. The ease with which they were adapted into massive fanart almost made up for it, though!

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(4):FFVII Remake Thread Part 1 Edition" , posted Wed 12 Jun 09:34post reply

Tifa looks great! Well, except for the section in the bar, that looked a bit rough. It's a good thing FF7 is being released in modular format so they can polish each little piece perfectly. The part that's coming out next year will only be twenty minutes long but it's going to look great.

I appreciate that the producers didn't overdo the redesigns of the characters. FF7 is the only Nomura game where I think all his designs were well thought out. The outfits were asymmetrical and simple, which worked both to the advantages of 3D polygons and the limitations of the PS1. (After this Nomura's designs became built around fractal technology of endlessly repeating madness, but that's a discussion for another time.) Tifa's redesign keeps the spirit of her original design without getting too wrapped up in either nostalgia or the latest designs in anime/game fashion.

The changes to the gameplay makes me wonder how Tifa's final move set will look. That said, I'm glad to see she's still out there swinging. Not enough RPG heroines get to be two fisted brawlers.

This latest look at FF7 is promising. But, as Baines noted, the whole enterprise will probably be dead in a ditch by 2021. Still, it's a good looking trailer!

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):FFVII Remake Thread Part 1 Edition" , posted Wed 12 Jun 14:34post reply

While I share the worries about the future of the project, so far the game is striking all the right chords in me. Actually, the trailer pretty much sold me a PS4 right away.

Midgar has a lot of potential in terms of expanding the lore and setting of the original game; many small side-stories that only got roughly sketched on the original now have the chance to be fully fleshed out. Story-wise, if they follow the same path as Crisis Core, this first episode might end up being really interesting. For example, I wish we could attend a representation of "Loveless" at the theater, just as we could do in FFVI on the opera scene!

A lot of things could go wrong, sure, but right now I see lots of potential here. I for one want to believe!

A Talking about Japanese History sword in hand

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(6):FFVII Remake Thread Part 1 Edition" , posted Wed 12 Jun 17:27post reply

How very strange that they would just throw the overworld theme into the trailer when this episode isn't even going to make it out of Midgar. Doesn't that mean it's just going to be the same five characters for the whole thing? Or are the other rebels going to be more actively playable? If there's supposed to be enough content for 2 BDs then I'm assuming a lot of expanded content here.

As for Tifa, she looks okay, but a bit strange. Why would anyone wear a white shirt over a black shirt that's almost exactly the same size? It bothers me! Also after decades of fanarts I'd nearly forgotten that the thigh-highs were not part of her original design. I guess Squenix finally decided to adopt them as their own. I wonder if the fan artists will follow suit and do the opposite? FFVII: Return To Ankleboots

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(7):FFVII Remake Thread Part 1 Edition" , posted Wed 12 Jun 20:17post reply

The more realistic and polished games go, the more conventional RPG conventions become problematic.
Why does that girl deals as much damage with her punches as the guy with a machine gun? Also, what's up with the guy with a weird cardboard sword with metallic painting?

"Re(1):Anti-FFVII thread returns" , posted Wed 12 Jun 23:27post reply

quote:
thigh-highs
Incredibly, Square has made an actual improvement in one of their remakes.
quote:
FFVII: Return To Ankleboots
AMAZING. And again, the main redeeming feature of FFVII was always fanart.
quote:
Why does that girl deals as much damage with her punches as the guy with a machine gun? Also, what's up with the guy with a weird cardboard sword with metallic painting?
One can only hope that the desire to be "realistic" results in the elimination of Cait Sith, the only character who's a more useless airhead than the entire casts of FFV and FFIX combined.

Meanwhile, I see that the new English translation has traded the original's approach to "making things up" via incomprehensible gobbledygook and random ebonics for Barett to "making things up" via excessive swearing that just isn't in the text.

"Re(2):Anti-FFVII thread returns" , posted Wed 12 Jun 23:49post reply

On the positive side, I'm intrigued by the strange remake-but-it's-the-same-but-we're-remaking-all-the-3D-models of FF8.
Could it have the similar result as the RS2 and 3 remakes? Updating the game to look the way we remember them, over how they really looked?
PS1 games are especially rough in that aspect, and doing a full AAA remake like FF7 (or Bio Hazard 1 on Game Cube) is not an option for most of them. But could the FF8 approach work for things like Vagrant Story or Silent Hill 1 for example? I'm much more interested in how FF8-remade-on-the-cheap will turn out than the costly mess FF7 is probably going to be.

"Re(3):Pro-FFVIII thread" , posted Thu 13 Jun 00:27post reply

quote:
On the positive side, I'm intrigued by the strange remake-but-it's-the-same-but-we're-remaking-all-the-3D-models of FF8.
Could it have the similar result as the RS2 and 3 remakes? Updating the game to look the way we remember them, over how they really looked?
!?!?!

[checks the news]

At last, rerelease news about a GOOD game in the series! This thread is about FFVIII now. Sod off, Cloud.

It's interesting since I'd heard that huge pieces of FFVIII's core graphics assets went missing, even worse than for poor FFIX which was MIA for years. The improved character models are a neat idea, but what will they do if the only copies of the pre-rendered backgrounds are PS1-era low-res copies? Well, anyway, they look good in battle, and they even preserved the low camera angle on Selphie's spellcasting, so this one is a winner for sure.

FITHOS LUSEC WECOS VINOSEC

"Re(4):Pro-FFVIII thread" , posted Thu 13 Jun 03:58post reply

I wonder if the fact FF8 got this somewhat medium investment thrown its way is due to Nomura still being at SQEX and FF8 being one of his personal projects.
It would only make sense that Kawazu and Nomura would "protect" the integrity of their old personal games, while Seiken and FF5-6 don't have anyone to speak for them.

FF12 was just lucky to be one of the most beautiful PS2 games, so it wasn't in any danger. Games like FF9, Vagrant or others might not be so lucky.

"'Flawed Fantasy VIII'" , posted Fri 14 Jun 20:13post reply

I know there are people that are happy, but I'll be blunt. I couldn't stand "VIII". I to this day still type that it's the worst game of the bunch.

The Draw fundamental felt like doing a house chore rather than playing a game, and if you linked your HP with an important element for magic, you're killing off your character. Sure, the card game's interesting, but it's only when you're winning, not when the computer's cheating. While characters like Selphie and Zell get me giddy, I'd rather spend an entire month listening to "Lamb Chop's" never ending song than spend an hour with characters like Squall.

Yes, I typed that. Yes, I went there w/ that lamb. No, I will not take that back.

"Re(4):Pro-FFVIII thread" , posted Sat 15 Jun 01:07post reply

No no, the statute of limitations for Incorrect Opinions about FFVIII has already passed. Fortunately, your benevolent Local Authorities have prepared the following list of frequently asked questions to address confusion experienced by citizens, frequently Americans, whose first RPG was FFVII. Even where this does not describe a citizen's exact circumstances, this FAQ has proven useful in clearing up dangerous misconceptions. Hard copies are available for a nominal fee in your local branch office or Garden.

It takes too long to Draw, and I don't want to weaken my stats when I use a spell. How can I address my issues?
-FFVIII's leveling system has been designed to punish OCD in casual play while still encouraging thorough stat customization. Citizens must take responsibility for their own unhealthy tendencies to hoard 100 Elixirs, Draw constantly, etc. Please also refer to extensive stat penalties for equipping Materia in FFVII in order to become more comfortable with the concept of magic use/stat trade-off.

FFVIII is not fun like FFVII. Why is the system broken/too easy/too hard?
-The Authorities recognize that FFVIII may be confusing for citizens whose first game in the series was FFVII and who are consequently used to being able to clear the game without ever blocking, and possibly without equipping a single Materia. Please note that the computerized RPG genre originates from tabletop RPGs such as Dungeons and Dragons featuring highly customizable stats and equipment, and that the extremely wide range of possible ways of "gaming the system" in FFVIII are part of its design and in line with the origins of the genre.

Squall is a jerk. Why do I have to play as him?
-Squall is standoffish due to insecurities that are explained almost immediately, and his manner of relating to people changes convincingly based on interactions with these very same people. FFVII players discussing “likeability” concerns with Squall are encouraged to note that FFVII stars a pathological liar who nearly destroys the world while leading a party of eco-terrorists that also includes a hostage-taking corporate executive and a delinquent adolescent thief.

FFVII's characters are cool. What are you talking about?
-Citizens are advised not to worry. Youthful interests in "large swords" and "cool vampires" will eventually give way to stylish but sensible adult character designs in FFVIII.

Shouldn't a game with love as the theme feature the words "I love you?"
-While the sentiment above was widely observed by members of the American media in 1999, citizens are encouraged to note that FFVIII is neither a Hollywood production nor is its script written with Americans or English language conventions in mind. Please activate your English copies of FFX in order to enjoy games where the abovementioned phrase has been wedged into the localization.

How do I stop being so giddy?
-Irregular usage of quotation marks where capitalization or italics would suffice has been known to cause giddiness. Consult your doctor if you are giddy for more than twelve hours.

Does the computer cheat in Triple Triad?
-Citizens are urged to avoid confusing difficult regional rules such as "random" with actual cheating. Separate materials are available in your local library concerning effective methods for eliminating rules, such as challenging an opponent to cards and subsequently canceling before the match begins.

But FFVII was my first RPG and is still my favorite. When will I be cured?
-The distorting effects of nostalgia for one's first RPG have been known to make correct judgments difficult for the next few years, e.g., until 2004 at the latest. Citizens consulting this document after 2004 are asked to refer to the following alternate answer to the question above: Probably never, then. Sorry. Do not worry, however: many citizens who prefer FFVII to FFVIII still lead productive and meaningful lives despite this devastating problem.

"'Fine and Flawed Fantasy VIII'" , posted Sat 15 Jun 02:31post reply

Ha ha ha! I feel like I'm hearing the announcers you hear at transfer stations. Something like that that.

I'm not typing that "VIII" is flat out unplayable. I'm typing that for me, "VIII" even with its good points is well, badly flawed. Would I give the game another chance? Only if someone pays the game for me.

quote:
It takes too long to Draw, and I don't want to weaken my stats when I use a spell. How can I address my issues?
-FFVIII's leveling system has been designed to punish OCD in casual play while still encouraging thorough stat customization. Citizens must take responsibility for their own unhealthy tendencies to hoard 100 Elixirs, Draw constantly, etc. Please also refer to extensive stat penalties for equipping Materia in FFVII in order to become more comfortable with the concept of magic use/stat trade-off.

Certain materias are double-edged swords. Even Cloud brings this up early in the game. The problem is that drawing makes you eat up a critical turn, and if the element you need in the battle is linked to HP, you're in more trouble than you need to be in. You can't change links on the fly, which is a bother.

quote:
-The Authorities recognize that FFVIII may be confusing for citizens whose first game in the series was FFVII and who are consequently used to being able to clear the game without ever blocking, and possibly without equipping a single Materia. Please note that the computerized RPG genre originates from tabletop RPGs such as Dungeons and Dragons featuring highly customizable stats and equipment, and that the extremely wide range of possible ways of "gaming the system" in FFVIII are part of its design and in line with the origins of the genre.

Oh, yeah, there's that "Dungeons and Dragons".

quote:
Squall is a jerk. Why do I have to play as him?
-Squall is standoffish due to insecurities that are explained almost immediately, and his manner of relating to people changes convincingly based on interactions with these very same people. FFVII players discussing “likeability” concerns with Squall are encouraged to note that FFVII stars a pathological liar who nearly destroys the world while leading a party of eco-terrorists that also includes a hostage-taking corporate executive and a delinquent adolescent thief.

Now that I think about it, given the choice between spending an hour with say, Krang and Squall, I'll take Squall, but if someone like Prika shows up, sorry Squall.

quote:
FFVII's characters are cool. What are you talking about?
-Citizens are advised not to worry. Youthful interests in "large swords" and "cool vampires" will eventually give way to stylish but sensible adult character designs in FFVIII.

Certain "VIII" characters are cool just like how certain "VII" characters are cool. "VII's" jump out better for me, though "VI's" do a better job than either of the two.

quote:
Does the computer cheat in Triple Triad?
-Citizens are urged to avoid confusing difficult regional rules such as "random" with actual cheating. Separate materials are available in your local library concerning effective methods for eliminating rules, such as challenging an opponent to cards and subsequently canceling before the match begins.

True. Still, cheats!

quote:
But FFVII was my first RPG and is still my favorite. When will I be cured?
-The distorting effects of nostalgia for one's first RPG have been known to make correct judgments difficult for the next few years, e.g., until 2004 at the latest. Citizens consulting this document after 2004 are asked to refer to the following alternate answer to the question above: Probably never, then. Sorry. Do not worry, however: many citizens who prefer FFVII to FFVIII still lead productive and meaningful lives despite this devastating problem.

"VI" ended up being my favorite. I told a friend that "VII" is my favorite after "VI" recently, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that "VII" is more likely my third favorite after "VI" and "V".

Mosquiton
2422th Post

"Humble questions for the Authorities" , posted Sat 15 Jun 08:59:post reply

quote:
No no, the statute of limitations for Incorrect Opinions about FFVIII has already passed. Fortunately, your benevolent Local Authorities have prepared the following list of frequently asked questions to address confusion experienced by citizens, frequently Americans, whose first RPG was FFVII.

Hmm. Well, I'm sure the Authorities won't mind if I simply ask a few questions....

quote:

While not a direct answer, this does seem to speak to why the junction system is broken, too easy, and too hard. Thanks to the penetrating insight of the Authorities, I am willing to accept all of these propositions.

But I wonder why our learned stewards did not seem to address the idea that "FFVIII is not fun like FFVII"?

I'm sure it would not be too difficult to defend a misunderstood game system that, if one would only look, actually reveals itself to be elegant, rewarding, empowering, and smartly designed.

But while its obvious this wouldn't describe the junction system, I would suppose that the sublime intellects possessed by the Authorities could probably muster a very strong and convincing case that this often maligned system is, at least in some abstract sense, "fun"!

Of course, the authorities are probably very busy with always being right to update the FAQ. That isn't easy you know! It is said that their wisdom is far-reaching and complete, as they have spent untold hours drawing hundreds of Ultima spells which they have junctioned to every single one of their stats. Truly, such dedication must be admired.

The fact that these superior beings are watching over us is of some comfort, at least.

Thank you, Authorities!

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sat 15 Jun 09:23]

"Re(1):Humble questions for the Authorities" , posted Sat 15 Jun 10:13post reply

There are some games which I think are more fun when played with an FAQ, because the FAQ serves as a guide for the game's mechanics and the information it provides helps the player reach a point where they feel like they are making informed decisions / calculated risks. While there is thrill to be had in "I wonder what happens if I do X", there's a difference between doing X because you have no idea what anything does and it seems no better/worse than anything else you could do, as opposed to "usually A happens when I do B, but I've never done X before! I wonder what will happen", as further opposed to "X usually doesn't work, especially not in this situation, but I'm going to do X and maybe it'll work this time!". Each of these represent different kinds of surprises that all have value, but when a game regularly has you interacting with the same systems, being perpetually stuck in the "I have no idea what to expect from anything" makes the system not feel like a system you are really engaging in, and especially not a system where you are playing a deliberate role... even if your role is that of a Fool. I also think that if a player can too easily accidentally stumble on a way that is entirely within the rules to trivialize the entire game, that's also not good, because as far as they can tell they're doing the thing the game wants them to do and the game is just really easy.

I think Maou is a bit harsh on the character designs of FF7, because Vincent Valentine is pretty close to being an FF8 character already, Tifa and Aeris are good, Barret as Mr.T by way of sci-fi-ghetto banchou I like, and the monsters are totally good. FF7 was the first game with Cactuar!

But if any FF game can be considered to be a good but flawed or even an important but flawed game, it's got to be FF2. I don't even think the staunchest Kawazu fans could say unequivocally that FF2 is good, even if it represented an enormous step up from FF1 in terms of storytelling methods, mechanical complexity, and role playing depth. Its execution of the game was just so deeply flawed that you could totally screw yourself up by accident just as easily as you could luck into easy wins, and the inventory system which tried to make the largely barren inventory of FF1 something you had to meaningfully manage was so flawed in its implementation that it alternated between being merely infuriating (as you progress through the game, you permanently lose valuable inventory slots to story items that NEVER GET DISCARDED...) to being actually paralyzing (the spell books you luck into finding you just don't want to discard, but god do you need some inventory slots, but because you start at level 1 with the spell you don't know if the spell is actually going to be worth the investment!).

Now one thing that is objectively bad about FF8 is that it doesn't start with nearly the same kind of mystery and excitement of FF7. My resounding memory of the opening moments of FF8 is that I was stuck in a number of what today are termed "walk and talk" segments, except even more awkward because you couldn't walk backwards and you had to hit the A button to initiate dialogue and you could be just out of range of that and oh my gosh this sucks

I think overall the things I want from Final Fantasy will always be:
- amazing spectacle
- grand adventure in fantastic places
- fantastic and memorable music

Because Final Fantasy 1 was the first FF game I played, I don't actually consider well-written playable characters to be a requirement! I had a lot of fun with FF1, and I got swept away in its adventure! So to me FF7 fulfills those requirements handily. But it is a negative when poorly-written characters are not only prevalent in the game, but consume a lot of mandatory time spouting their poor writing at me. This is why FF5 was hard for me to play, because I played FF6 before it, so FF5 seemed like a vastly inferior spectacle. It's a shallow reason, but it's been such a defining trait of all the FFs I've enjoyed that it's hard to overlook.

"the Authorities have escaped" , posted Sat 15 Jun 13:04post reply

I stopped by the Hall of the Authorities to convey Mosquiton’s entirely reasonable questions, but when I pulled aside the curtain in their throne room, I realized it was a fraud: there was nothing there besides a one-man PA system like in Oz (Wizard of Oz, not Konami Oz), though out of the corner of my eye I did see someone dashing off like Dr. Eggman. All I could find left behind were a madman’s furiously scrawled, virtually incomprehensible notes:

-Junction system: greatest realization of D&D legacy of players' absolute mechanical freedom and creativity since FFII or FFV???

-GENIUS! Mapping monster levels to Squall’s should mitigate players’ bad grinding habits and free them from wanting to Draw excessively...will the world understand?!

-Flying pastel school buildings+hard-core sorcery and time travel: most creative FF setting in history! I want to live there. They called me mad. Am I mad?!

-Small, likeable cast with no particularly melodramatic pasts! The music and atmosphere are MAJESTIC

-Spoon a brilliant fellow but how can he have forgotten that our beloved Sabotendaa/Cactuar debuted in FFVI?

-FFVIII’s system is no more broken than ability to negate game difficulty ten hours into FFVII with HP+ Materia or Edgar’s Machines in FFVI. Rewards creative ideas for chaining systems together in complex ways, none of which require an FAQ per se, but which do inspire a desire to share the virtuosity of one’s Lego- or Tinker Toy-like inventions with others, in a true realization of what Blue Materia largely failed to achieve through linked combo slots.

Next to this last note, I found some crazed Da Vinci-esque sketches and equations. An arrow pointing towards one flowchart seemed to indicate a direct evolution of FFVI’s beloved “Drill Armor” bug that lets you equip any item on any part of your body, whether it belongs there or not. The flowchart read: win common cards in the first hour → refine into large amounts of certain magic, while also refining common Tents and stones into Curega and Firega → junction onto HP and Strength, then learn ability to junction to Evade (this is so fun!)

In the corner, I also found a small safe that appeared to be from Shin-Ra Mansion. Inside, next to the key to Vincent’s coffin, in an envelope labeled “top secret,” I found further notes:

-No one must know that I think the first four hours in Midgard are brilliant until the grotesque Shin-Ra Building events, and that the interactive Kalm memory sequence is one of the best directed game sequences of all time! Above all, they must never, ever learn that despite claiming FFVII to be my least favorite Final Fantasy, I still wrote a timeline for its backstory in 2001!

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(1):the Authorities have escaped" , posted Sat 15 Jun 23:20post reply

What's that? The Kawazu Alarm rings! I have been summoned to a matter of grave importance! Let me see wha....
quote:
I don't even think the staunchest Kawazu fans could say unequivocally that FF2 is good, even if...

I...
There is... If you think about...
Well, actually, if... I mean, in the context of...
Hey, what is that? Someone is wrong on the Internet!
quote:
FF7 was the first game with Cactuar!

It wasn't! They were at the very least in 6.

Perfect! My work here is done. Farewell, citizens! Be safe!
-------------
Woooooooosh!
-------------
I don't think there's any question about FF8 being a mechanically more interesting game than FF7 (which was basically "I heard you liked grinding so I put grinding into your abilities so you could grind while your grind"). 7 was also the game to add the terrible concept of a stupidly unbeatable optional boss to make grinders believe the thousands of hours they spent grinding were actually worth it, a concept that I suspect was key in enslaving the minds of millions in the MMORPG craze of the following generation.

The rest is more subjective, as both feature mostly trash characters and a stupid story told in amazingly poor ways.
However, one features a great dog recruitable in the party, while the other has a stupid chicken. Point: FF7.
One the other hand, one's story is so insane that in spins continuously between the polar opposites of terrible and amazing, often during the same cutscene. Point: FF8.

That's 2 points for 8, 1 for 7, and 0 for 9. It still places these 3 games far below any other FF game (except maybe 15?), though FF7 later did the fusion dance with 10 and Diablo to did give us Path of Exile, made by a studio called "Grinding Gear Game", so everything was right in the end.

KTallguy
1547th Post

PSN: KTallguy
STM: KTallguy
Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):'Fine and Flawed Fantasy VIII'" , posted Sun 16 Jun 18:54post reply

Maou's nobel defense of FFVIII forgets to mention the music, which I think is on par or better than FFVII in many aspects. Especially the amazing orchestral soundtrack. I love the FFVII soundtrack though.

Personally I'd love a high quality remake of FFVIII that smooths over its various flaws and fixes some of the weird writing, but one incredibly costly, bloated project at a time, please.

Mosquiton
2423th Post

"Re(2):the Authorities have escaped" , posted Mon 17 Jun 01:33:post reply

quote:

Junction system: greatest realization of D&D legacy of players' absolute mechanical freedom and creativity since FFII or FFV???

quote:

I don't think there's any question about FF8 being a mechanically more interesting game than FF7 (which was basically "I heard you liked grinding so I put grinding into your abilities so you could grind while your grind"). 7 was also the game to add the terrible concept of a stupidly unbeatable optional boss to make grinders believe the thousands of hours they spent grinding were actually worth it, a concept that I suspect was key in enslaving the minds of millions in the MMORPG craze of the following generation.

Once again I feel like it's easy to describe the junction system as interesting, but its hard to call it fun without adding a ton of qualifiers. Can you eventually reach a "fun" state by mastering the junction system? I think you can, but it's tedious and fiddly even if you know what you're doing. For the remaster, I would anticipate most people just looking up how to break the system and then coasting through 60% of the game without getting too much out of it.

I bet they will have fun boosting their GFs, though! I know I felt a great sense of accomplishment when I succeeded in hammering the square button 250 times during Bahamut's 43 second summon animation!

Okay, that was a low blow. I am probably coming across as being a little mean to FFVIII here. To ameliorate this a bit, I admit that I personally did not enjoy Materia system much, either. It turns your party members into glorified rock holders (much as FFVIII turns them into math-class blackboards for Guardian Forces to perch on).

It always struck me as particularly stupid that (in theory) if someone stole Yuffie's Steal materia, she would then be unable to steal her stolen Steal materia back. Maybe the designers should equip a logic materia (har har).

Characters failing to express their unique identities in battle felt like a problem for both of these games. Thank goodness for the flashy and soothing band-aid that is the Limit Break... but man, I really should say something positive about Final Fantasy here. Okay, here it goes: I really like FFVI and FFT!

BONUS about FFVIII specifically: I hated Irvine. Wait, let me try again. I wanted Quistis to teach me things that weren't on the official syllabus.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Mon 17 Jun 01:39]

"Re(3):the Authorities have escaped" , posted Mon 17 Jun 04:39post reply

The Limit Break system is a super gauge, which I am okay with, but it fills sooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooowly you barely ever get to use it, and the Limit Breaks being one of the places where your party members get to do something really unique is kind of sad.

The Materia system felt like an attempt to make the "let's have everybody learn Ultima" magicite of FF6 a little more interesting by having it interact with your equipment a little. But it helped that in FF6, everybody had some unique subsystem that was always usable. The "hey you can make any party member learn any skill" to me has a similar feeling with the SMT games where your party becomes less interesting as you start feeling that they are just ability holders rather than characters of any particular attachment.

Yuffie not being able to Steal her Steal back sounds hilarious. Damn.

FF9 going back towards everybody having very unique abilities that are entirely their own seems like an interesting response coming from the experiments of FF7 and FF8, and it seems like that's a pattern that held until FFXII, where the skill board once again let anybody learn any thing, but the stat growths meant that not everybody would be good at every thing (the spaces between "any/every" and "thing" actually have meaning here, wow!).

"Re(2):'Fine and Flawed Fantasy VIII'" , posted Mon 17 Jun 18:35post reply

quote:
Maou's nobel defense of FFVIII forgets to mention the music, which I think is on par or better than FFVII in many aspects. Especially the amazing orchestral soundtrack. I love the FFVII soundtrack though.

Personally I'd love a high quality remake of FFVIII that smooths over its various flaws and fixes some of the weird writing, but one incredibly costly, bloated project at a time, please.

"VIII's" remake is released sooner. I want to type "November". I'm probably wrong.

"Re(4):the Authorities have escaped" , posted Tue 18 Jun 08:37post reply

The early consumer internet was forged through arguments over whether FFVII was worse than FFVI, and in turn whether FFVIII was a worthy follow-up to FFVII. I expect this will continue until the internet collapses into a fiery singularity, so until about five years from now.

Anyway, for my money, I always found FFVIII’s system to be loads of fun, even when zooming through carelessly my first time without twinking out like Red Mage with Junction at all! I recall just tossing whatever magic I had the most of onto a given stat (there may have even been a “select optimal equipment” option like in FFVI?) while learning loads and loads of fun and unique special abilities, the most since FFV! Using Tonberi to call shops from afar and threaten down prices with his meat cleaver, granularly adjusting encounter rates and enemy levels, eating monsters for maybe the first time in the series, giving myself crazy speed bonuses, turning enemies into cards… Come to think of it, that’s kind of the opposite of Spoon’s experience: no matter what I tried in the Junction system, I found something fun! Better still, these all had meaning since the game actually had some challenge to it, unlike its dismal predecessor.

FORTUNATELY, there are common truths which can mediate any disagreement.
quote:
I really like FFVI and FFT!
I wanted Quistis to teach me things that weren't on the official syllabus
FFVIII’s music is magnificent

I’ve noticed that even the fiercest of FFVIII’s detractors can’t deny it’s one of the musical high points of the series, particular after the sound programming disaster of FFVII’s soundtrack. Putting aside a few winning tracks (Anxious Heart, the main theme, the boss theme, One-Winged Angel, and (I suppose) Aerith’s Theme) that somehow survived, I was shocked at the time by how awful the instrumentation and sound quality of FFVII were after FFVI, even with more audio channels to work with. This will probably all be papered over with the remake, which is sort of Iggy’s point with the half-remake altered nostalgia of RS2 and FFVIII.

Returning to form for the Anti-FFVII Thread, if the first episode only covers up to the escape from Midgard (six out of 40+ hours), they will never ever finish. Will we be stuck with a never-ending 8-episode series throughout the PS4-PS5 decade, even worse than the onslaught of mediocrity that began with Advent Children? It’s fine with me if the game ends on a high note in Kalm, but I suppose if they cut the overtly bad parts (Cait Sith, grotesque “snowboarding fun” right after the death of a major character, Cait Sith, the submarine, Cait Sith) and boring parts (snow field, Huge Materia), they could finish it one day.

Meanwhile, holy cow, despite all the talk about whether remake Tifa is cute enough, it turns out that the most attractive character in the game is Barett!

Mosquiton
2424th Post

"Re(5):the Authorities have escaped" , posted Tue 18 Jun 10:39post reply

Just wanted to note that The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa, also called Barkley 2, has a timely (at least for me) and hilarious FFVIII joke.

There is a draw point (which asks you who will draw even though there is nobody else in your party), and you can draw 5 Firaga. I don't think it actually does anything other than amuse, though.

/ / /

"'Tales of Fantasy'? 'Trusty Fantasy'?" , posted Tue 18 Jun 17:31post reply

I did type that I didn't like the mechanics changes. However, the more vids I see, the more I think to myself "Is this 'Tales of Fantasy'?" My youngest brother thought of "Trusty Bell" ("Eternal Sonata"). Please type to me that I'm not seeing illusions. I could use the good vibes here.

"Re(1):'Tales of Fantasy'? 'Trusty Fantasy'?" , posted Wed 19 Jun 00:23post reply

There is an unpopular religious belief system which states that life is a circular path of suffering, never learning from mistakes and complaints about Final Fantasy 7. That doctrine may be true since our lives are fleeting but the bandwidth dedicated to discussing FF7 is infinite.

I'm impressed that people in this thread are able to remember the details of these games with such fidelity. All I can remember about FF8 was that I hated the game system, it had a dreadful card game and that instead of loot the characters received an allowance.

Mosquiton
2425th Post

"Re(2):'Tales of Fantasy'? 'Trusty Fantasy'?" , posted Thu 20 Jun 01:35post reply

quote:

I'm impressed that people in this thread are able to remember the details of these games with such fidelity. All I can remember about FF8 was that I hated the game system, it had a dreadful card game and that instead of loot the characters received an allowance.

I admit that I had to look up the maximum number of times you can boost a summon. My knowledge of game system minutiae is pretty good, but not encyclopedic.

But you know what? After dumping on the game and struggling to find good things to say about it, I think I do have to cop to enjoying Triple Triad.

/ / /

"Re(3):'Tales of Fantasy'? 'Trusty Fantasy'?" , posted Thu 20 Jun 04:28post reply

quote:
I admit that I had to look up the maximum number of times you can boost a summon. My knowledge of game system minutiae is pretty good, but not encyclopedic.
That's it! That's why I enjoyed FF8 so much!
I hated the characters as much as I hated those from 7, however the characters didn't matter and you actually leveled up and cared your summons!
In the end, it was a game where Ifrit, Shiva and the others were center stage except during the cutscenes. And Shiva and Ifrit are cool! I like them! Especially if I can interact with them instead of just launching a boring 40 seconds FMV to deal 300 damage to the boss!

"Re(4):LoveLoveG meets Tifa's abs" , posted Thu 20 Jun 12:39post reply

quote:
In the end, it was a game where Ifrit, Shiva and the others were center stage except during the cutscenes. And Shiva and Ifrit are cool! I like them! Especially if I can interact with them instead of just launching a boring 40 seconds FMV to deal 300 damage to the boss!
Quetzalcoatl is my BRO.

I'd forgotten that all party members develop affinity levels with their GFs which helps in some way or another. Is this the first and last true Final Fantasy dating sim?! Come to think of it, there is an affinity booster called Love Love G. It's also worth remembering that the mundanely written "boost" option during summoning sequences should actually be translated as "cheer," the idea being that you're cheering on your GF buddies as they kick ass on your enemies (in a way that is certainly no more tedious than in FFVII (and which was only resolved by FFX's abbreviated summon animation option, I think)).

On the other Final Fantasy, I am impressed by Square's candor while disdaining their vile aesthetic crimes. "We wanted Tifa to have abs, so she has an athletic body type. The ethics department at Square Enix also told us that we had to tighten her chest as not to get unnatural during all the intense action. From there we got the black underwear and fitted tank top." At least they didn't hide it like Capcom, I guess.

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(5):LoveLoveG meets Tifa's abs" , posted Sat 22 Jun 18:45post reply

If I must, there are the three nice things I can say about FFVIII:

1) The music was indeed grand. It had superior instrument samples and more competent use of the PS1 sound capability overall. Plus, though we'd had arranged soundtracks for many years and we'd even watched a few FMVs with streamed audio in other games, real instrument performances directly in a FF game was absolutely huge. Hearing and seeing the context of Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec for the first time was bound to create some goosebumps.

2) The ending was extremely satisfying. Of course anything competent would have been fine after the wetly-delivered fart that was FFVII's ending, but FFVIII went the extra mile. Set to a grand medley that included the aforementioned FLWV, Eyes on Me, and culminating in the main theme of FF, we got to see everybody rendered in such detail that they were full of life! Whether you cared about the dumb romance at the epicenter or not, there was a great deal to see and feel here.

3) They left the debug room in the code, making it the first and last FF game I've ever hacked with impunity. Of course figuring out what it all meant was a monumental task that only someone with inside knowledge could completely decipher but it was easy enough to rewatch the ending as much as I wanted, without even visiting the boorish endgame, or even touching the annoying final boss. That was quite pleasant in an era before Youtube existed.

However this is not to say that I think FFVII's soundtrack was bad. On the contrary I believe it was very competently done. While I don't quite hold it to the same level of "misunderstood" as Harmony of Dissonance's, there is similarly a lot to be said for proper instrument sampling here.

Before FFVII, Square had zero sounds in its PS1 library. In an interview Uematsu said that he was going for a more "artificial" sound with FFVII's sci-fi theme, and I'd say for roughly half of it he succeeded. JENOVA, Mako Reactor, Under the Rotting Pizza, a lot of these work very well within the atmosphere of FF7. Even the Sousa-esque military march of Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony was quite catchy despite being associated with one of the dumbest sequences in this (or possibly any) game.

For the other half, mostly in the places where the action leaves Midgar and becomes more of a countryside, the artificial samples are applied to something of a different mood and begin to fall apart. Stuff like Mining Town and Open Your Heart had good intentions but they fall into a familiar pattern of relaxed compositions with an irritating timbre, loud and unrefined mixing volumes, dreadfully repeated until all of their faults become plainly evident.

These will benefit greatly from the remake, but since the first episode doesn't even leave Midgar it seems that it will be a while before we get to find out what happens with them.

Ktallguy
1548th Post

PSN: KTallguy
STM: KTallguy
Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):LoveLoveG meets Tifa's abs" , posted Sun 23 Jun 10:22post reply

quote:
In the end, it was a game where Ifrit, Shiva and the others were center stage except during the cutscenes. And Shiva and Ifrit are cool! I like them! Especially if I can interact with them instead of just launching a boring 40 seconds FMV to deal 300 damage to the boss! Quetzalcoatl is my BRO.

I'd forgotten that all party members develop affinity levels with their GFs which helps in some way or another. Is this the first and last true Final Fantasy dating sim?! Come to think of it, there is an affinity booster called Love Love G. It's also worth remembering that the mundanely written "boost" option during summoning sequences should actually be translated as "cheer," the idea being that you're cheering on your GF buddies as they kick ass on your enemies (in a way that is certainly no more tedious than in FFVII (and which was only resolved by FFX's abbreviated summon animation option, I think)).

I'd love a remake of FF8 where there are actually relationships with the summons, ala Persona. Maybe you go on specific GF quests, actually have dialog with the GFs... and you can explore the beast/human relationship differently with different characters? Wow, let's do it!!! But please don't merge the GFs with the character like in FFXIII... let them shop around a bit!

I didn't necessarily like the FF8 summon sequence cheering "gameplay", but again, in my mind's eye all those bumps are smoothed out. Best not to go back to the game and be disappointed.

quote:

On the other Final Fantasy, I am impressed by Square's candor while disdaining their vile aesthetic crimes. "We wanted Tifa to have abs, so she has an athletic body type. The ethics department at Square Enix also told us that we had to tighten her chest as not to get unnatural during all the intense action. From there we got the black underwear and fitted tank top.

Apparently, this was a mistranslation and the message was that she is now wearing a sports bra. Maybe DOA7 will follow through and sell "'I'm a fighter'" combat ready underwear". Also it's worth mentioning that Square-Enix has a reputation for being fairly "progressive" among game companies in Japan, even as they put plenty of fanservicy products on the market.

Gojira, I agree with you on the FF8 ending. It was somewhat disconnected from everything you were doing in the game, which is probably for the better. Nevertheless, I found it immensely satisfying, especially the party at the end and the group photo. I barely remember the final boss...again, another reason for a proper remake that fixes all those story holes!

Despite iffy instrumentation, FF7 has some of my favorite FF music. The world map theme is quite moving. My only complaint is that, like FF9, the soundtrack quality feels uneven. For me, the FF8 is on par with Xenogears and Chrono Cross because of consistently strong reoccuring themes and arrangements. Interestingly, FF8 strayed from character specific themes, except for Rinoa, but they ended up going back to it for FF9. I appreciate the "letmotif" style because it helps tie things together over hours and hours of play--FF8 made it more about groups and concepts than specific characters.

"Re(6):LoveLoveG meets Tifa's abs" , posted Sun 30 Jun 01:37post reply

quote:
sell "'I'm a fighter'" combat ready underwear"
After many years of the freaky model-Sephiroth-in-the-floor display in Square's Shinjuku store, the fashion showcase can finally take a very different direction.

In other news, we regret to inform you that FFVII has been chosen as Best of Show at E3 instead of FFVIII, but even I have to admit the battles look like they might actually be fun now, and Midgard was always where the game shined.

Obviously, that's not going to stop me from focusing on Kitase's interview on FFVIII instead:

The former head of the battle programming team, Harada Hiroshi, is now the project director. Original character modeller Kayano Tomohiro is involved, too.

Unforgiveably, the Pocketstation game is not there, and the things you got from it will be searched out by Rinoa's dog. Uh.

Since it was the first time with motion capture, they swung an actual metal prop for Squall's gunblade when a shinai bamboo sword would have sufficed. He gets nightmares thinking about what would have happened if someone actually got hit.

Let's got to the official page right now!

What's that? People still want to talk about FFVII in the FFVII thread? Okay.
quote:
familiar pattern of relaxed compositions with an irritating timbre, loud and unrefined mixing volumes, dreadfully repeated until all of their faults become plainly evident.
I think Gojira's exactly right here, to say nothing of the nightmarishly bad "Who Are You/Who Am I Tracks." FFVI was redbook-quality despite being 8-channel (?) synth, while FFVII sounded like your Casio electronic keyboard in 3D.

"Re(6):LoveLoveG meets Tifa's abs" , posted Sun 30 Jun 02:21post reply

quote:
Despite iffy instrumentation, FF7 has some of my favorite FF music. The world map theme is quite moving. My only complaint is that, like FF9, the soundtrack quality feels uneven. For me, the FF8 is on par with Xenogears and Chrono Cross because of consistently strong reoccuring themes and arrangements. Interestingly, FF8 strayed from character specific themes, except for Rinoa, but they ended up going back to it for FF9. I appreciate the "letmotif" style because it helps tie things together over hours and hours of play--FF8 made it more about groups and concepts than specific characters.

The more time passes, the more I am convinced Theatrhythm Curtain Call is the best FF.
We get all the great music from all the games, even the bad ones, and we don't have to play them to enjoy the tunes. The RPG-lite elements were perfect too. Too bad they had to ruin it with the arcade game instead of making a Gaas with music packs from the entire SQEX library. The last one had a couple of RS2 and 3 songs, and some Chocobo Dungeon ones, at least?

Lord SNK
364th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):LoveLoveG meets Tifa's abs" , posted Sun 30 Jun 03:00post reply

quote:

Unforgiveably, the Pocketstation game is not there, and the things you got from it will be searched out by Rinoa's dog. Uh.

This is sad I liked that silly chocobo "game".

"Pre-ordering the game." , posted Sat 6 Jul 01:53post reply

Pre-ordering the game later today. Just not sure if I'm going digital or physical. Probably the latter.

"FFVIII remastered on September 3" , posted Wed 21 Aug 07:02post reply

NOW HEAR THIS

The sort-of-anti-FFVII/pro-FFVIII thread has been reactivated, not because there is ever any news on FFVIIR, but to note the sudden announcement of a September 3 release date for the best Final Fantasy besides VI, as determined by a survey of all posters masquerading as dark lords on leading message boards. It’s awfully cheap, and you get, uh, some sweet-ass wallpaper if you preorder, even though you probably already downloaded them back in 1999 like everyone else who’d just gotten the internet. Try it! You’ll like it!

Mostly, I just want to make sure they managed to keep the licensing for Eyes on Me after all these years, since the soundtrack doesn’t really work without it.

"Re(1):FFVIII remastered on September 3+1month" , posted Wed 21 Aug 08:15post reply

quote:
NOW HEAR THIS

The sort-of-anti-FFVII/pro-FFVIII thread has been reactivated, not because there is ever any news on FFVIIR, but to note the sudden announcement of a September 3 release date for the best Final Fantasy besides VI, as determined by a survey of all posters masquerading as dark lords on leading message boards. It’s awfully cheap, and you get, uh, some sweet-ass wallpaper if you preorder, even though you probably already downloaded them back in 1999 like everyone else who’d just gotten the internet. Try it! You’ll like it!

Mostly, I just want to make sure they managed to keep the licensing for Eyes on Me after all these years, since the soundtrack doesn’t really work without it.

I would hate to jinx any local practitioner of the dark arts (especially if they happen to wear molluscs as a fashion statement), but it might be better to wait a couple of weeks after release to see whether SQEX bothers to patch the inevitable sound bugs because they were too stingy to properly emulate their thing.

"Re(2):FFVIII remastered on September 3+1month" , posted Tue 3 Sep 15:53post reply

quote:
I would hate to jinx any local practitioner of the dark arts (especially if they happen to wear molluscs as a fashion statement)
In addition to laughing out loud, I was amazed it took me twenty years to realize that the reason this is one of Nomura’s most attractive and interesting designs actually has nothing to do with the plunging neckline at all!

In other news, I’ve braved the terrifying depths of resetera, gamefaqs, and similar in order to report to you, the taxpayer, on how this port of everyone’s favorite Final Fantasy (*citation needed) has fared:

The new character models are gorgeous

There’s lots of fast-forward and no-Draw options for the impatient/heretics

It lacks true analogue movement as opposed to 8 directions, and there’s no vibration...how am I supposed to time my gunblade hits?!

It turns out that in a small number of locations in the original, certain seeming character models were actually “baked into” the pre-rendered backgrounds and were thus not updated, which is admittedly pretty hilarious

On the other hand, PC modders are almost certainly going to fix the above, so obviously you should buy that version

This game still rules

PSN: n/a
Wii: NNID:sfried
Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):FFVIII remastered on September 3+1month" , posted Tue 3 Sep 18:40post reply

quote:
I would hate to jinx any local practitioner of the dark arts (especially if they happen to wear molluscs as a fashion statement) In addition to laughing out loud, I was amazed it took me twenty years to realize that the reason this is one of Nomura’s most attractive and interesting designs actually has nothing to do with the plunging neckline at all!

In other news, I’ve braved the terrifying depths of resetera, gamefaqs, and similar in order to report to you, the taxpayer, on how this port of everyone’s favorite Final Fantasy (*citation needed) has fared:

The new character models are gorgeous

There’s lots of fast-forward and no-Draw options for the impatient/heretics

It lacks true analogue movement as opposed to 8 directions, and there’s no vibration...how am I supposed to time my gunblade hits?!

It turns out that in a small number of locations in the original, certain seeming character models were actually “baked into” the pre-rendered backgrounds and were thus not updated, which is admittedly pretty hilarious

On the other hand, PC modders are almost certainly going to fix the above, so obviously you should buy that version

This game still rules

I already have the PC version of the updated Steam release. Will they ask us to buy it again for the Remastered version, or just update the existing Steam entry?

"Re(4):FFVIII remastered on September 3+1month" , posted Wed 4 Sep 00:10post reply

quote:
Will they ask us to buy it again for the Remastered version
You’d better believe it! Then again, not needing a mod to have the glorious original music rather than the 2013 version’s ass-tastic midi alone may be worth it.

I’m legitimately interested in how the 2013 version ended up with mods (what was your experience?), and how they’ll stack up in the end against the official remaster...which will in turn be further improved by more fan mods.

"Re(5):FFVIII remastered on September 3+1month" , posted Tue 10 Sep 02:08post reply

So, how is it? Any bug or major issue so far?

"Re(6):FFVIII remastered on September 3+1month" , posted Tue 10 Sep 14:39post reply

quote:
So, how is it? Any bug or major issue so far?
I’m so glad you asked, sensible friend who was most certainly not put up to this by me!

Square-Enix ports tend to fall into the category of “wellll, the original was great, but…”, and FFV and VI iOS are blasphemy along the lines of that botched fresco restoration, so imagine my delight to find that the FFVIII remaster does indeed fit into Iggy’s RomaSaGa 2 remake description of “updating the game so it looks like you fondly remember it!” Also, the loading times are gone.

Graphics: The new models are great, and there's actually barely any instances where certain low-res NPCs were “baked into” the rendered backgrounds and thus left unchanged, but the ones that are there do make a bad impression in places like, uh, the classroom five minutes into the game. But get back to looking at beautiful Quistis-sensei-as-you-remember-her and I can’t see it being a problem. That world map, though…since it’s 3D rather than using low-res but attractive pre-renders, it looks pretty bad now. Another reason to get the Steam version and hope for a fan mod. But you’ll probably be flying a giant school or spaceship at breakneck speed soon enough anyway, so whatever.

Triple Triad on speed: You bet your @$$ I’ll be playing a lot of cards, it’s the HD experience we’ve all been waiting for! Well, maybe not, but the way shorter loading times mean I can spend even more time even more quickly playing and winning cards from Headmaster Cid, random hapless NPCs, and probably the last boss.

No true analogue movement or force feedback: Admittedly, this really, really sucks. But not nearly as much as not getting to play FFVIII at all because I lent my PS1 to someone fifteen years ago and haven’t seen it since.

No PocketStation: I suppose it’s fine that the Chocobo World game is gone since it’s no longer the 1990s and I don’t know how to keep a tamagotchi alive anymore, let alone one inhabiting a hostile world of MONSTERS.

So yes, the remaster the absolute best way to play the game outside of literally existing in 1999 right now. Although:
quote:
it might be better to wait a couple of weeks after release to see whether SQEX bothers to patch the inevitable sound bugs
This was eerily prophetic! They got so close, too. No field music reset bugs like VII and IX, and all the original high-quality music from the get-go...except they managed to accidentally use the crappy 2013 PC midi version of the looped version of The Landing that plays during the raid on Dollet and the Garden battle, two of the best scenes in the game! You can avoid it in Dollet by playing straight through from the FMV on the boats till the town square since the full version of The Landing (with intro) is fine, but when you quit and reload (thus skipping the intro version) or playing the Garden battle sequence (which only uses the loop version), you’re stuck with the bad midi version. Fortunately, certain VERY REASONABLE PEOPLE have already let Square know via twitter and online helpdesk and poison pen letter, while painstakingly subbing out the music file by hand in their PC version.

"Re(7):FFVIII remastered on September 3+1month" , posted Wed 11 Sep 04:02post reply

quote:
No PocketStation: I suppose it’s fine that the Chocobo World game is gone since it’s no longer the 1990s and I don’t know how to keep a tamagotchi alive anymore, let alone one inhabiting a hostile world of MONSTERS.

Wasn't the Pocket Station used to get a specific invocation? The Fat Chocobo, maybe?

Does it mean it's impossible to get any of the special things (if any) from it because that would be far too much work?
(Or am I remembering wrong?)

"Re(8):FFVIII remastered on September 3+1month" , posted Wed 11 Sep 04:55post reply

quote:
Wasn't the Pocket Station used to get a specific invocation? The Fat Chocobo, maybe?

Never fear, citizens! Square seems to have intuited that I would rather play FFII than play an emulation of a PDA from 1999, so the summon items for Moomba and Baby Moogle appear through Rinoa's Angelo Search limit break instead. Makes sense to reset this as the new standard since it's not purporting to be a port, so much as a new remaster.

Once everyone has made the inevitable correct decision to buy this, ideally on Steam, let me know and I can mail you the missing music file I mentioned above if you don't want to wait for the patch or go to the trouble of putting your limited edition FFVIII Original Soundtrack into the stereo system while you play that sequence. Which I know you were considering.

Up next: the other topic of this thread will probably appear in TGS later this week. Current PR copy: "FFVIIr: it's not cancelled yet!"

"Re(9):FFVIII remastered (and also FFVIIr)" , posted Thu 12 Sep 04:55post reply

I'll be a good sport and mention the nominal topic of this thread by noting that the latest FFVII remake trailer is out and kind of neat-looking. The final shot inadvertantly reminds me that the game would end just fine right there, if not for the all-star interactive memory sequence just afterwards in Kalm.

Also, it looks like the squats mini-game is SERIOUS, but how serious can the cross-dressing sequence really get in light of the changes to Tifa's outfit? Then again, I guess the definitive underwear collection quest from the Kalm sequenc was already covered in the bonus disc of FFVII International, so there's that.

"Re(10):FFVIII remastered (and also FFVIIr)" , posted Fri 13 Sep 00:18post reply

Does Sephiroth bleach his hair? I always assumed he had snow white hair because he was an anime character. However, he has seriously black roots in that trailer.

"Take me to Seventh Heaven" , posted Fri 27 Sep 04:54post reply

quote:
Does Sephiroth bleach his hair?
I've been pondering this question for a while and have no answer, but the newest screens are impressive...particularly the really cool slum scenery that was so distinctive and complex in the original yet lasted for about an hour in Midgard before being ditched in favor of such elaborate ideas as the beach village, the mountain village, the haunted village (okay, this one was great), and the Japanese village.

One thing that's funny is that given how short a piece of the game this first remake game covers, irrelevant bosses like the blue Aps in the sewer (?) are now somehow these hulking set pieces.

Meanwhile, even FFVIII doubters will be pleased to hear the TRULY INCREDIBLE amount of Triple Triad that can be accomplished now that there are no more loading times in the remaster.

"Procession of Witches" , posted Wed 30 Oct 09:20post reply

FFVII Remake hype at the Cafe has retreated to appropriately low levels, leaving it helpless in the face of FFVIII Remastered! For Halloween, I recommend all good ghouls watch as Sorceress Edea bewitches an entire nation with an otherwordly speech and a near-sacrifice of the game's heroine, followed by the procession of witches, a ghostly parade sequence so baroque, exotic, and visually lush that I've literally been bored by everything else since 1999.

Since the official translation of Edea's speech somehow omitted the invocation of phantasia, fear, and "final fantasy," here's a substitute! I admit I originally did this for the r*setra FFVIII thread before feeling guilty, but that will just be our little secret.

Edea: …This stench. ….Filthy, miserable fools. Since ancient times, we sorceresses have lived within the realm of fantasy, a foolish fantasy that you yourselves created. The sorceresses, clad in fearful garments, undertaking wicked rituals to cast deadly spells on innocent humans. The fearsome sorceresses, who scorch the green fields with merciless magic, and turn warm hometowns to ice. What utter rubbish.

President Deling: …?

Edea: Yet now that one of those fearsome sorceresses from your fantasies has become Galbadia’s ally, you heave a sigh of relief? Layering fantasy atop of fantasy…who is it that's dreaming?

President Deling
: E, Edea, what on earth... Ede---! [dies]

Edea: But reality is not so kind. It is not kind in the least. Thus, you miserable fools, you have no choice! Retreat into your own fantasies! And I shall continue this dance for you in that world of fantasy! I shall continue this dance into the future, forevermore, as the sorceress who brings forth your fears! You and I, and this ultimate [final] fantasy we create together. There, life and death are but sweet dreams. The sorceress, and this fantasy, for all eternity! Together with Galbadia, the sorceress’ minion, for all eternity!

[Exits; brings statues to life to attack the heroine]

Edea: A sorceress would appear to require a sacrifice and a wicked ritual.

"Remake trailer" , posted Mon 3 Feb 13:32post reply

Okay, it’s loud and dumb, just like every FFVII-related thing that wasn’t the original, but even I have to admit the newest trailer is pretty hot.

"Re(1):Remake trailer" , posted Mon 3 Feb 17:53post reply

quote:
Okay, it’s loud and dumb, just like every FFVII-related thing that wasn’t the original, but even I have to admit the newest trailer is pretty hot.

..... meh.
I had to google who all these characters were, and now I dread that what used to be a sequence of 1 hour with forgettable paper characters is going to be dragged on for 10h with horribly written SQEX2020 characters they can milk in all their FF spin-offs.

Speaking of spin-offs, we've seen the Cloud/Sephiroth fight so often in different, flanderized games, that even in a context where it finally makes sense, it only makes me sigh a long "oh... THAT again..."

Barret and Red XIII look good, though.

GekigangerV
2060th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
CFN: gekijmo

"Re(1):Remake trailer" , posted Tue 4 Feb 23:02post reply

quote:

Is the Nibelheim stuff the first time we've seen something post Midgard?

Also, that English VO is pretty stiff.

"Re(2):Remake trailer" , posted Wed 5 Feb 02:04post reply

What system is this coming out for? Considering the protracted pace that Square Enix has employed so far will the second FF7 chunk manage to make it to the shelves before the PS5 launches? Will the game suffer from cross-gen issues because there will eventually be PS4 and PS5 versions out there? Either players are going to buy and replay the first section more than once or they are going to leave their PS4's hooked up for a long time while waiting for the rest of the game.

"Re(3):Remake trailer" , posted Wed 5 Feb 08:31post reply

quote:
Is the Nibelheim stuff the first time we've seen something post Midgard?

Also, that English VO is pretty stiff.
I think the Nibelheim reactor scene is just Cloud's delusion when they're in one of the first two reactors, judging from how they've cut it. The only beyond-Midgard thing I've seen is having a fight with Jenova there, rather than aboard that crappy cargo ship. Meanwhile, the Japanese voice actors have been the only redeeming features of two decades of crappy FFVII spinoffs.

In the end, what Iggy said about padding out the story with unimportant characters applies to the whole history of weak FFVII spinoffs. Even the only acceptable one, Crisis Core, is still rammed full of junk that detracts from the original scenes it recreates. On the other hand, Scarlett using a soldier as a footrest reminds me of Cefca having soldiers clean sand off his boots, so there's that.
quote:
What system is this coming out for? Considering the protracted pace that Square Enix has employed so far will the second FF7 chunk manage to make it to the shelves before the PS5 launches?

In the highly unlikely event this project ever finishes and somehow manages to have parts 1 to ? look like the same game, I believe they've said this first part will also be on PS5.

Lord SNK
416th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Remake trailer" , posted Wed 5 Feb 21:50post reply

quote:
they've said this first part will also be on PS5.

The last will be on PS7

"Re(5):Remake trailer" , posted Thu 6 Feb 00:03post reply

quote:
they've said this first part will also be on PS5.

The last will be on PS7

FF7 for PS7! Throw in an unfortunate tie-in with Nissin Cup Noodles and the marketing writes itself.

"Re(6):Remake trailer" , posted Sat 7 Mar 01:14post reply

After playing a bit of the FF7 demo here are some random thoughts:

So the game has Regular mode, Easy mode and a "Classic" mode that is an even easier Easy? Oh well, more options -even silly ones- are better than no options.​

For a game catering to nostalgia I'm surprised at how different the game mechanics are. I guess the "click attack, click enemy" method of fighting is a bit outmoded but for an action-rpg it certainly emphasizes the action aspect. Real-time battle segments that could be stopped at the touch of a button to select actions and spells is a far cry from having the characters queue up and patiently wait their turn. Is this game designed to be a follow up to Dirge of Cerberus? Are fans happy with the new battle system? I don't know if I like the new system or not but it's certainly a change.​

There are parts of the game that feel like they would have worked better in a game with less intense graphics. At one point during an elevator ride Barrett starts delivering an exposition dump. It was something that would have worked a lot better with text on the screen; that way you wouldn't be as conscious of the passage of time. But when it's all spoken dialogue you realize just how long the conversation goes on. I almost wish there had been a Mass Effect style dialogue wheel to help me feel at least minimally engaged in the scene. As it was I felt like I was in a Hideo Kojima talkathon.

But in spite of everything I was struck by how good the demo recreated the feeling of playing FF7. Not in gameplay or presentation, but the overall impression the game creates. The shot of Cloud -a man carrying a gigantic sword- staring up at a technologically advanced citadel is iconic not only because it was so heavily used in advertising but because it suggested so much. This wasn't a video game that was cribbing from Dungeons & Dragons for its setting and playstyle. While games such as FF6 had merged high fantasy with technology before this was the first time it had been so vividly displayed. FF7 felt like something new, something epic that had never been tried before on this scale. It's no wonder that people responded to the game to such a degree and that Square never really quite knew what to do as a follow up.

"Re(7):Remake trailer" , posted Sat 7 Mar 04:05:post reply

quote:
Are fans happy with the new battle system? I don't know if I like the new system or not but it's certainly a change.​

Personally I'm loving it. It's the perfect union of real-time and command-based gameplay that doesn't discourage the player from favoring one style over the other. It also rewards you handsomely for optimizing weaknesses and using the right spells/attacks with stagger effects and faster kills, and punishes you for just spamming square all day and ignoring the party's advice.

This is what FF13 (and honestly, even 15) should have been. Makes me wish Nomura's crazy vision of Versus would have become a reality.

[this message was edited by Freeter on Sat 7 Mar 10:01]

"Re(8):Remake trailer" , posted Fri 17 Apr 13:13post reply

Hey! This actually came out! Of course I didn't get it. But I'm sure interested to see what the discerning Cafe clientele thinks!

Rather than giving the review either to someone who knows the original well and loves it (not me) or someone who knows the original well and definitely does NOT love it (me), a review in a major American newspaper by someone who never played the original seems like the most honest approach, and probably the most accurate:

But while I have found it to be an enticing place to explore, I have not developed any non-superficial attachments to [Midgard] or its residents.

“Final Fantasy VII” is so high on bombast and low on subtlety that it’s impossible for me to value its story lines as anything other than the flimsy tissue that binds its spectacles together.

Shin-Ra is run by cookie-cutter villains such as the pretentiously-named Heidegger, who bears no resemblance to the German philosopher except in their relationship to a nefarious regime.

I just let the story wash over me, preferring instead to focus on the lavish art direction and the skill with which scenes are framed.

In the thirty hours I’ve put into the game, I have yet to come across a memorable side quest — and I’ve done all that have been available.

It is a beautiful-looking game with a juvenile mind-set that’s fun to pass through but hard to be riveted by.

Professor
5751th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):Remake trailer" , posted Fri 17 Apr 16:05post reply

I cannot but help to feel a bit of guilt in saying this, but I have uninstalled Street Fighter V for the time being to make room for FF7Remake's installation on my PS4.
So I'll be skipping a few lagfests for sure, sorry!

Thus far I've only played about 4 hours into the game before being reminded of how prone I am to motion sickness from 3D fields. This exodus from Midgar will surely be a very long journey.

This FF7Remake could very well be Square Enix at its best in the past decade or so. From the few hours in the beginning alone shows a lot of thought (and budget) has been thrown into the game. Personally I found it interesting that rather than going in front of an NPC and hitting a button to speak to them, you hear them conversing when you go close to them. Is this something common for modern games? I don't play enough 3D graphic games to make a comparison, but it's an interesting touch, especially the way their voices actually pans around when you rotate your camera angle. Also, the character models are quite well detailed even in comparison to fighting games.

There's a few personal gripes I have about the game, but I'll pass from discussing them since it's still too early to tell from just the first few hours in.

"Re(10):Remake? trailer" , posted Sat 18 Apr 03:03post reply

I'm currently at chapter 8, but based on certain events and some spoiler-free reviews that I've seen, I'm bracing myself for the monkey's paw that is this remake.

quote:
Personally I found it interesting that rather than going in front of an NPC and hitting a button to speak to them, you hear them conversing when you go close to them. Is this something common for modern games? I don't play enough 3D graphic games to make a comparison, but it's an interesting touch, especially the way their voices actually pans around when you rotate your camera angle.

I don't think even GTA does this, and that game has budget to spare. The sheer amount of varied dialogue for the NPCs is staggering. If there's another game out there that went to the extremes that Square did here, I'd love to know.

"Re(2):Re(10):Remake? trailer" , posted Mon 20 Apr 01:45post reply

The news about how the FFVII remake plays out is making me more interested in the game. I suspect it will eventually fly off the rails -it wouldn't be a Square game if it didn't- but the possibilities are intriguing.

"Re(7):Re(0):Remake? Remake." , posted Mon 27 Apr 23:39post reply

Managed to resist the urge to spoil myself until I finished the game. Now that I've experienced the divergence, the future installments will be more exciting with all the new possibilities they can take.

I'll refrain from spoiler discussion here until people are ready. All I will say is Wall Market is incredible and the Honey Bee Inn sequence is GLORIOUS.