user profileedit/delete message
MMCafe Owner

"Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Mon 14 May 23:46post reply

Fighting games confirmed for the year 2018:

- Dissidia Final Fantasy / Jan 11
- Street Fighter V AE / Jan 17
- Dragon Ball FighterZ / Jan 26, Feb 1
- Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] / JP:2017 , NA^EU: Feb 9

- Street Fighter 30th Anniversay Collection (feat.Exodus) / May 29 (JP:TBA)
- Blazblue Cross Tag Battle (50% DLC) / May 31
- Fighting EX Layer / Spring (before June 30)
- Blade Strangers /Summer
- SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy / September 9
- Soul Calibur VI / TBA
- Smash Bros. Switch / TBA
- Guilty Gear XX ACore Plus R for Nintendo Switch / TBA
- Kungfu vs Karate / TBA *JP-Arcades

Replies:

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Tue 15 May 03:15post reply

Thanks for this report on EVO Japan Professor, but I have a question; did anyone expect to make money off this thing? While the loss is jaw dropping when you first see it the people who were running this event must have known for months how the event was going to turn out. Was Evo Japan always considered a loss-leader or was the only reason it was held was because the contracts were already signed? If the powers that be switched up to a larger venue it suggests they were fine with the outcome but since half of the decision making process in the game industry is a baffling mystery it's hard to say.

quote:
This is the best thing to come out of this game this year.

This is an abomination so I approve.

Professor
5431th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Tue 15 May 04:17:post reply

quote:
Thanks for this report on EVO Japan Professor, but I have a question; did anyone expect to make money off this thing? While the loss is jaw dropping when you first see it the people who were running this event must have known for months how the event was going to turn out. Was Evo Japan always considered a loss-leader or was the only reason it was held was because the contracts were already signed? If the powers that be switched up to a larger venue it suggests they were fine with the outcome but since half of the decision making process in the game industry is a baffling mystery it's hard to say.

This is the best thing to come out of this game this year.

This is an abomination so I approve.

I'm sure the organizers knew they were going to be in for the red since it's their first time, but I question whether they were expecting to get hit with such a huge loss. My own guess is that by the time they realized how much they were bleeding, it was too late to turn back and needed to keep going forward in hopes that some sponsors would come to rescue them.

However it's always been questionable whether there'd be traditional Japanese companies that would want to relate themselves to fighting games. And I think this EVO Japan might've answered that.

Venue costs just CAN'T be the main reason behind their loss. The Akiba UDX and Sunshine City venue together probably didn't count for even a tenth of their red ink. I think the biggest mistake they might've made, my guess, is they probably didn't have an executive from their company looking over the operation at all times to see if unnessesary money was being spent. They hired a freelance writer as the event CEO; he might've had connections to the various fighting game communities, but it's questionable whether he had budget management skills. He isn't known for event organizing skills either.

When plans keep on rapidly changing even up to a month or so before the event, that's a bad sign. If charging companies double the price of JAEPO for booths isn't helping offset costs, that's a bad sign. If you end up with a tournament that gets ridiculed as the "Cup Noodle cup" because of the singular advertisement presence for Nisshin all over the place and even on the microphone, that's a bad sign.

Plain and simple, it might've been a good tournament, but it was bad business management.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 15 May 06:21]

"Re(3):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Tue 15 May 23:27post reply

quote:
Plain and simple, it might've been a good tournament, but it was bad business management.

Tougeki has returned!

People in the tournament scene like to talk about how many big tournaments are created and run by people in the community. But what they don't mention is that these are people in the community who know what they are doing. It sounds like too much of Evo Japan was left in the hands of people who had more enthusiasm than skills. But what's more troubling is the fact that stuffy Japanese advertisers couldn't be convinced to get on board. Hopefully that's more due to poor management than a sign that this style of tournament will have trouble gaining traction in Japan.

"Re(4):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Wed 16 May 03:20post reply

quote:
Tougeki has returned!

I loved SBO dearly but the truth hurts.

Professor
5432th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Wed 16 May 03:50:post reply

quote:
It sounds like too much of Evo Japan was left in the hands of people who had more enthusiasm than skills. But what's more troubling is the fact that stuffy Japanese advertisers couldn't be convinced to get on board. Hopefully that's more due to poor management than a sign that this style of tournament will have trouble gaining traction in Japan.

I'm relatively confident that outside of the videogame, snack, and beverage industry, it's probably going to be pretty hard to find Japanese companies that'd be interested in becoming sponsors for fighting game tournaments. I have no idea how the EVO Japan comittee can even try to convince them. What they probably need to do is to hire a really good advertizement agency to help them out.,, but that by itself is probably going to kill their budget, catch 22.

quote:
I loved SBO dearly but the truth hurts.

The company that was hired to run the brackets and tournaments at EVO Japan just so happens to be the same that ran SBO!

(But no, they're not management and they don't decide on the venue & etc. The losses aren't their fault.)

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 16 May 03:50]

"Re(5):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Wed 16 May 07:20post reply

quote:

The company that was hired to run the brackets and tournaments at EVO Japan just so happens to be the same that ran SBO!

Initial response:

quote:

(But no, they're not management and they don't decide on the venue & etc. The losses aren't their fault.)

Current response:

"Re(6):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Wed 16 May 22:46post reply

Say, did anyone try out the demo for BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle? Any thoughts?

As for me I thought that it's a shame the DLC tomfoolery has overshadowed everything else because it seems like the game could be quite fun. Since I'm also wildly out of the loop with ArcSys games I took the release of this demo as an opportunity to get caught back up on BB and the like. Good grief! If the people in charge think this multiple timeline insanity is a perfectly serviceable little backdrop for a fighting game it's no wonder they thought the DLC was a good idea.

Just a Person
1967th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Thu 17 May 00:07post reply

...Okay, Capcom may be taking the crossover mania a little too far.

Then again, if this generates some income (as small as it is) for them to make up for any financial losses their current fighting games may have caused, that's great, I guess.

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.

"Re(1):Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Thu 17 May 01:39post reply

They are fighting outside of a Krispy Kreme?

Outside of Guile being replaced by Max Payne the character models are surprisingly good.

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
CFN: n/a
Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Thu 17 May 02:34post reply

quote:

Outside of Guile being replaced by Max Payne the character models are surprisingly good.

Although... I was surprised at how blank the SF crew's expressions are-- I mean really, when Gouki is the character with the most expressive one, you've got a serious problem. I don't know, maybe that's just how the SFV models are?

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(3):Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Thu 17 May 05:00post reply

Wow if that didn't have an official trailer I would have believed it was a silly fan mod. The character models look like they were ripped straight out of SFV but stopped short of doing any real work to make them fit in.

quote:
Although... I was surprised at how blank the SF crew's expressions are-- I mean really, when Gouki is the character with the most expressive one, you've got a serious problem. I don't know, maybe that's just how the SFV models are?

I think it's more a problem with the fact that the game has been made up of 90% masked characters so they probably didn't think they would ever need to rig up facial expressions. Oops on them.

GekigangerV
2021th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
CFN: gekijmo

"Re(2):Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Thu 17 May 06:43:post reply

quote:

Krispy Kreme is really getting a lot of mileage out of that movie tie in.
I wonder why they are using the Japanese voices as default. Seems kind of strange for a western release.

It looks like a lot of fans of the game are disappointed since they wanted more classic Rangers, but I have to say I am now interested in the game.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Thu 17 May 06:50]

"Umihara Kawase had more than one character" , posted Thu 17 May 13:01post reply

Somebody here will be tickled pink to remember that that's the case.

No seriously, when they mentioned that they had brought in another character from Umihara Kawase, I thought it was going to be a fish. I didn't remember at all that the 3DS game added more characters to the game!

This game loves obscure characters even more than me! How could I not love it!

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(1):Umihara Kawase had more than one charac" , posted Thu 17 May 21:33post reply

quote:
This game loves obscure characters even more than me! How could I not love it!

Not so obscure, but still unlikely: some (potentially) unused files in Blazblue Crossover Nonsense Battle seem to hint that Senran Kagura characters have been considered.
Even I have trouble to follow which unlikely crossover fighting game of mid-summer 2018 has which character. Now all we need is a new Nitroplus Heroine and a truckload of aspirin.

Professor
5433th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Thu 17 May 23:57post reply

quote:

I didn't notice that until reading your post! All we need now is a Taco Bell shop...

quote:

It also seems that Lipsynching doesn't exist in the world of Power Rangers.

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Fri 18 May 02:03post reply

quote:

I think it's more a problem with the fact that the game has been made up of 90% masked characters so they probably didn't think they would ever need to rig up facial expressions. Oops on them.

Yeah, plus it's mobile, which might have something to do with it? Still, it's super disconcerting.
quote:

It also seems that Lipsynching doesn't exist in the world of Power Rangers.

Haha, totally! I mean, I know that not every player will notice these things, but it's touches like that that make a difference between a half-baked cash in game and one that looks like the people making it cared about it a little bit. I also notice that there seem to be weird delays in some of the moves, but who knows what that could mean.

I dunno, this could have been a kinda cool crossover idea like Tatsunoko vs Capcom but instead it seems awfully cheap and bland. I'm also admittedly not the best person to talk about it since I'm hardly invested in the Power Rangers end of things.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

"Yoshimoto? Wakamitsu? Returns" , posted Sat 19 May 17:13post reply

Yoshimitsu JP trailer

I have to say that even though I love Wakamoto I never felt like his voice totally suited Yoshimitsu until I heard it coming out of this design.

(Yeah there was an EN trailer but his EN voice sounds like a literal clown)

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(1):Yoshimoto? Wakamitsu? Returns" , posted Sat 19 May 23:26post reply

quote:
Yoshimitsu JP trailer

Magnificent! I miss the squeakier, more obviously noh/kabuki-linked voice of the early days, but of course Wakamitsu makes it just fine.

I imagine Namco PR to always be on the back foot, having to first weaken their glorious trailers with those weak-ass English voices before restoring excitement levels with the original. Or maybe they don't know? Either way, I get the impression they give American fans more of a blast to the past of early 1990s "Japanimation" dubs than they be interested in.

BONUS
Wakamoto is the Japanese dub for which poster?
Professor
Iggy
Rugal
Shingo the One

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

"Re(2):Yoshimoto? Wakamitsu? Returns" , posted Sun 20 May 10:15post reply

I agree; although I like Yoshimitsu and Wakamoto I never felt the two went that well together. Hearing Wakamoto doing his thing while Yoshi was pogo sticking around the room never seemed quite right. Oh well, all three of my main characters are back so I'm happy.

I wonder if they are saving Voldo for E3? Let's hope they bring cosplayers out on stage!

quote:

BONUS
Poll

Write-in vote for Hague.

"Re(3):Yoshimoto? Wakamitsu? Returns" , posted Mon 21 May 00:53post reply

quote:
BONUS
Poll Write-in vote for Hague.

My god, it's perfect. Perhaps the master of the posting equivalent of this legendary scene.

Professor
5439th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Cody and the Blowfish" , posted Mon 28 May 10:53:post reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Si_PRh4e-g

Yup, looks like he's took over Haggar's job, and also his pants too! So baggy. And that's Kenny Omega as Cody in the intro and the end, although he kind of looks buffed enough to look like a Haggar there.

Ok let's see. He's got the spinning kick from FF, punches into a throw from FF, low Ruffian kick from SFA/4,and his tornado is his Lv3 now? I guess it's been promoted from being a Criminal upper to the Mayor's upper. Also, lots of new moves. I wonder if that's Haggar's Hammer Swing he does around the 1:12 mark.
...No bingo?

So Cody's release is June 26. That's a lot later than I was expecting considering the past few DLC releases seemed to come pretty soon after their trailers.

[Edit] I still remember this

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 28 May 11:14]

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Cody and the Blowfish" , posted Mon 28 May 12:06post reply

I kind of like what I've seen of SF5 Cody. Mind, I wasn't a fan of SFA jailbird Cody.

It doesn't change that I'm not really playing SF5 anymore though, other than spending a few minutes each week to do the simple weekly missions to get Fight Money that I'll never use because I know that I can't earn enough to actually unlock stuff anymore. I haven't even been bothering with the Extra Mission outfits anymore, because I can't even be bothered to support Capcom's ideas anymore, much less bother with fighting against the decidely unfun AI.

"Re(1):Cody and the Blowfish" , posted Mon 28 May 13:15:post reply

Curious what his move names are now. Nice Stone? Citizen Kick? Gubernatorial Upper?

quote:
And that's Kenny Omega as Cody in the intro and the end, although he kind of looks buffed enough to look like a Haggar there.

Not only that, but he's talking to Austin Creed on the phone. It's pretty funny how both of these guys get up to SFV shenanigans at every Combo Breaker.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Mon 28 May 13:23]

"Re(2):Cody and the Blowfish" , posted Mon 28 May 15:22post reply

quote:
Curious what his move names are now. Nice Stone? Citizen Kick? Gubernatorial Upper?

Capcom-Unity's Cody reveal news post mentions some move names.

Ruffian Kick and Zonk Knuckle remain. Criminal Upper has been replaced by a new projectile move, Tornado Sweep. His Criminal Upper-like super is Criminal Punisher.

Bad Stone is gone, but his VT2 keeps a nod to it with the new move Bean Ball. However Bean Ball is a vertical toss that is meant to be followed up with a pipe swing (Gentle Swing or Gentle Upper Swing). Bad Spray is apparently gone.

His knife is his VT1 (Sidearm). He can throw it (no name given), either straight or as an anti-air. After he throws it, rather than having to pick it up, he apparently can just pull out another knife. Rapid Fire is his multi-slash with the knife. VT2 (Dirty Coach) is his pipe.

His V-Skill is Double Kick, his jumping spin kick from Final Fight. Both V-Triggers are two bars.

Some possibly interesting bits for Cody's moves:

Cody does not automatically lose his weapon after his V-Trigger ends. He gets at least one more attack with it, losing it only after hitting his opponent again (even if the opponent blocks), or when he throws it again (in the case of the knife.)

VT1 increases the range on his normal punches (which become knife attacks), while VT2 increases the range of his HP.

Cody loses his Tornado Sweep when using VT2. In exchange, he gets to cancel more moves into Gentle Swing.

The timing of the Gentle Swing follow-up to Bean Ball affects the path of the projectile, resulting in three possibilities: a multi-hit straight shot, a slight upward arc, or rolling towards their feet.

Also, two of Cody's costumes get alternate forms. His Nostalgia (SFA/SF4 jailbird Cody) can be switched to a tank-top. His retro Final Fight costume can be switched apparently for a damaged form?

Professor
5440th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Cody and the Blowfish" , posted Mon 28 May 21:03:post reply

The thing about this Cody trailer/reveal, the Final Fight video part is nicely done and wraps it all well, but the in-game footage itself I'm not particularly sure about. Cody overall just seems so bland and there's very little in his movements that makes me say "wow, I want to pick up this new DLC character". They just feel soulless. Of course to be fair, a lot of the other new characters in SFV also seem pretty bland on their moves. But at least for example Zeku, it felt like his designer put some thought into giving him charasteristic.

Is it just nostalgia factor from the old 2D games that's giving me that feeling, or is the modern Capcom just not living up to par with what the talented art staff back in those days came up with?

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 28 May 21:15]

"Re(4):Cody and the Blowfish" , posted Mon 28 May 21:43post reply

I'm glad to see Cody is keeping alive the mayoral tradition of stripping to the waist and beating people with a pipe. At least one part of the American government still works!

That live action video was worthy of RE1 and suggests that Capcom has some faith in Cody. I wonder what they are going to do for Sagat; will the SF staff show up to Evo wearing eye patches? Poor G is probably going to get announced some weekend and dumped into the game two days later. It's a bit disappointing that Mayor Travers won't be out for a month. I guess if people want their Cody fix they are going to have to pick up the SF Collection.

quote:
Is it just nostalgia factor from the old 2D games that's giving me that feeling, or is the modern Capcom just not living up to par with what the talented art staff back in those days came up with?

I do wonder if the animation budget took a bit of a knock in season 3. In the previous season Menat and Abigail had all sorts of personality and Zeku is absurdly over-animated. In contrast, season 3 still hasn't had a stand-out character in terms of movement. Falke is animated around that floppy coat so there's no saving her and Blanka is... well, he's Blanka. It is, however, a shame that Sakura feels like she's lost a bit of her bounce from previous incarnations. Hopefully Cody has some strut in him that doesn't come through in that combo video.

He certainly has plenty of confidence in his attire. What is the design on his underwear? Will the design change based on the color chosen or can you change it via code like Soul Calibur and DoA? Kudos to Capcom for recognizing that making one or two characters fanservice heavy is demeaning and that the proper course of action is to make everyone sexy.

Just a Person
1969th Post

"Re(5):Cody and the Blowfish" , posted Mon 28 May 22:14post reply

Who would imagine that the only FF hero who only appeared in one FF game would be the only one to make it into SFV... then again, I'm not sure if Capcom nowadays considers FF2 and FF3 as actual FF games as neither of them were in the arcades.

But I digress. Cody looks nice, he has a good selection of outfits, and his movelist looks interesting. And the trailer emulating the FF1 intro is just great! It should be used in his Story Mode somehow.

It's a pity Haggar still hasn't debuted in a SF game, though. And looking at Abigail and Zeku in it, I wouldn't be surprised if Jessica became a SF fighter before him.

GekigangerV
2021th Post

"Re(6):Cody and the Blowfish" , posted Tue 29 May 00:47post reply

Cody looks so different from a gameplay standpoint. Late June probably means Sagat is not going to be out until October. I was thinking it has been so long since Blanka came out and realized I had COMPLETELY forgot about Falke. She just came and went like the breeze.

"Re(7):Cody and the Delayed Collection" , posted Wed 30 May 14:25post reply

Humm. Scenario-wise, I like the idea of progression in Cody's personality (and age), just like Sakura's, but that design and move set don't do too much for me. Why not just have it be Haggar?

Meanwhile, we interrupt this cruel abandonment of the dedicated SFV thread in favor of this general thread to remind you the SF 30th Anniversary Collection is out in the States and might be pretty good, even if the training modes and other things seem stubbornly limited just to maintain the "arcade version" schtick. I'm more worried about the quality of online play, which is half the point. If it sucks, I will gladly risk the ban hammer just to start a long-overdue MMCafe Fightcade thread to arrange actual online play.

Speaking of tragic misses like Cody, the Japanese version's release date has sort of progressed from "unknown" to "fall 2018," presumably to give them a chance to create the same sort of game from scratch after the entire country started yelling at Capcom Japan for the idiotic idea of trying to sell a retro-nostalgia product containing only the English versions. But where will they get the funds? Feel free to join me and Professor in our never-ending speculations on the actual release date! Options include 1) never 2) next console generation 3) when Street Fighter is profitable again never.

GekigangerV
2022th Post

"Re(8):Cody and the Delayed Collection" , posted Wed 30 May 14:42post reply

quote:
Humm. Scenario-wise, I like the idea of progression in Cody's personality (and age), just like Sakura's, but that design and move set don't do too much for me. Why not just have it be Haggar?

Meanwhile, we interrupt this cruel abandonment of the dedicated SFV thread in favor of this general thread to remind you the SF 30th Anniversary Collection is out in the States and might be pretty good, even if the training modes and other things seem stubbornly limited just to maintain the "arcade version" schtick. I'm more worried about the quality of online play, which is half the point. If it sucks, I will gladly risk the ban hammer just to start a long-overdue MMCafe Fightcade thread to arrange actual online play.

Speaking of tragic misses like Cody, the Japanese version's release date has sort of progressed from "unknown" to "fall 2018," presumably to give them a chance to create the same sort of game from scratch after the entire country started yelling at Capcom Japan for the idiotic idea of trying to sell a retro-nostalgia product containing only the English versions. But where will they get the funds? Feel free to join me and Professor in our never-ending speculations on the actual release date! Options include 1) never 2) next con

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

I got a couple of games in with 3rd Strike and I did experience some lag. I am unsure if it was lag switching though since it was happening at the end of the round most of the time.

All the art the have in there is amazing. Unfortunately it is missing crossover games that still have "Street Fighter" in the branding (X-men/Marvel vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter x Tekken) I wish there was a bit more for Street Fighter V notes like season releases and some assets from there. There is a high quality drawing of SF2 Ryu's shoryuken and Chun-Li's forward jump that make me wonder if all of it is available and why it wasn't used (or heavily referenced) for that SF2 HD disaster from 10 years ago.

People have been pointing out things here and there that need addressing. The one that I have been noticing a lot if when you unpause the game it doesn't register and held input. Like if I want to be holding back to block, you have to push back after unpausing, if you don't you just stand there. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

Professor
5443th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):Cody and the Delayed Collection" , posted Wed 30 May 20:56:post reply

quote:
Speaking of tragic misses like Cody, the Japanese version's release date has sort of progressed from "unknown" to "fall 2018," presumably to give them a chance to create the same sort of game from scratch after the entire country started yelling at Capcom Japan for the idiotic idea of trying to sell a retro-nostalgia product containing only the English versions. But where will they get the funds? Feel free to join me and Professor in our never-ending speculations on the actual release date! Options include 1) never 2) next con

I'm not sure whether I'll pick up SF30th Collection given how stacked this year is with fighting games. However my interests are certainly there to experience the resurrection of World Heroes 2's coin toss system, but at a new level of madness suited perfectly for the internet era

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 30 May 21:59]

"Re(9):Cody and the Delayed Collection" , posted Thu 31 May 00:48post reply

I have not had much time to try out the SF Collection so these are very, very early impressions. The only games I had a chance to try out were SF2:WW and the original SF3 because I'm weird like that.

The settings to adjust the screen image to more accurately reflect the original cabinet monitors could be slightly more robust but are certainly nice. The only real problem is the border illustrations don't look like cardboard that has been poorly slapped on top of the screen.

I don't know how "arcade perfect" the games are but it doesn't feel like a true cabinet experience since at my house all the buttons work and the controller isn't so degraded that it misses the inputs half the time. What sort of magical arcades did people used to go to where they could count frames on a perfectly calibrated screen and use silky smooth controls? In the US arcades I went to you used to take what you could get.

The galleries have yet to be explored but they already make me want to buy another art book. The animation examples are not as extensive as I would like but showcasing every frame of animation for every character in twelve games would be an insane undertaking.

quote:
People have been pointing out things here and there that need addressing. The one that I have been noticing a lot if when you unpause the game it doesn't register and held input. Like if I want to be holding back to block, you have to push back after unpausing, if you don't you just stand there. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

This is an odd glitch I never would have noticed on my own. I never thought about it before but when I pause a fighting game I always do it when I'm at an advantageous position. The opponent should be getting thrown through the air or tripped off their feet before I even think about stopping the action.

"Jazz Fighter" , posted Thu 31 May 02:31post reply

On his upcoming album Kamasi Washington wrote a theme song for himself in case he ever decided to stop being a jazz musician and became a professional Street Fighter player. Sadly, both professions probably pay about the same.

Yuki Yagami

140th Post

Regular Customer

"Rage of the Dragons" , posted Thu 31 May 13:10post reply

Cyberfanatix just posted an interesting piece about Rage of the Dragons.

Also, about the current rights of ROTD...

quote:
Currently the rights of the Rage of the Dragons are in limbo, so to speak. Basically they are divided in half, so that SNK has the name, EVOGA the characters, EVOGA has the concept, SNK the programming … if some project could be done in the future, they should necessarily work together.

To add from the article from what I knew.

Evoga has disappeared for a while. AFAIK, Oda wants to revive it. However, another problem lies ahead. We all know ROTD is a "homage" to Double Dragon since Evoga failed to obtain the rights of Double Dragon from Million at that time. However, Arc System Works has acquired the Technos Library which includes Double Dragon. It may cause a legal hurdle if ArcSys is in the way. If they want to push through, they have to drop the Lee Lewis Brothers and Abobo Abubo with respect to ArcSys.

If they do revive it, they have to rewrite and retcon everything and "hard reboot" the story to avoid in a legal clash with ArcSys. (Thus making Lynn the "de-facto" protagonist in the process)

If ArcSys might agree, I think they'll just replace their "homages" (Lewis Brothers and Abubo) with the real ones (Lee Brothers and Abobo) and add Angel from KOF as a guest character as a "thank you" note.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"
Just a Person
1970th Post

"Re(1):Rage of the Dragons" , posted Sat 2 Jun 00:05post reply

It's great to learn more about ROTD; it was really a great game! I loved its roster: I mean, expies from the DD Lee brothers, a couple hinted to be reincarnations of a demon and an angel, a homage to Alice in Wonderland, a South Korean WRESTLER (instead of the typical taekwondo master like every other South Korean fighter in videogames), a fighter from NORWAY (is there any other character from Norway in any videogame??)... plus my sweetheart Pupa (despite Pupa not being a Brazilian name, she's quite a cool character).

It's a shame that piracy destroyed the possibility of it getting a sequel when the companies involved in it were still available, and now this whole mess of copyrights involving SNK, EVOGA, Noise Factory (isn't it the company that made the Power Instinct games from Matrimelee on?) and Arc System Works makes it even harder to see this series back.

"Re(2):Rage of the Dragons" , posted Sat 2 Jun 00:38post reply

I still remember the "controversy" Dr Baghead started over Cassandra's artwork. Poor guy just could not let that go.

ROTD had some great ideas but was marred by flawed execution. I'd love to see it rebooted sans the pseudo-DD connections with Lynn at the forefront. Maybe put her in as a DLC character with Shingo to round out XIV's already massive roster and give her a special intro with Angel.

Yuki Yagami

142th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Rage of the Dragons" , posted Sat 2 Jun 01:58:post reply

quote:

It's a shame that piracy destroyed the possibility of it getting a sequel when the companies involved in it were still available, and now this whole mess of copyrights involving SNK, EVOGA, Noise Factory (isn't it the company that made the Power Instinct games from Matrimelee on?) and Arc System Works makes it even harder to see this series back.

It was Atlus who owns Power Instinct (Yes, they still own it until now), but since they care more about SMT/Persona, it gets neglected into oblivion. I just hope Sega (or SNK, if they like to) will revive (and reboot) it.

Noise Factory is the developer of ROTD which unfortunately closed down March of last year.

I guess this is now between SNK, EVOGA (key members are still active, even if EVOGA closed more than a decade ago) and Arc System Works.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Sat 2 Jun 02:00]

Just a Person
1971th Post

"Re(3):Rage of the Dragons" , posted Tue 5 Jun 03:39post reply

quote:
I still remember the "controversy" Dr Baghead started over Cassandra's artwork. Poor guy just could not let that go.

ROTD had some great ideas but was marred by flawed execution. I'd love to see it rebooted sans the pseudo-DD connections with Lynn at the forefront. Maybe put her in as a DLC character with Shingo to round out XIV's already massive roster and give her a special intro with Angel.

While I like Lynn, I don't think she's main character material. I'd say either Pepe or Cassandra would fit better as protagonists, the first one as a conventional fighting game hero, the second one as a more mysterious character trying to figure out who she is (plus, DOA showed us that fanservice can be placed at the forefront). Then again, the involvement with the DD mythology was part of ROTD's appeal, at least to me.

---

Oh, and thanks for the clarification, Yuki! And yes, I agree that some company should revive the Power Instinct series. I guess Arc System Works or a SEGA studio would be more suited than SNK, though - I mean, SNK isn't even reviving its own series like Samurai Shodown or Last Blade, let alone the work from another company.

Youloute

26th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Rage of the Dragons" , posted Tue 5 Jun 05:46post reply

Actually, there were some former SNK developers behind the Power Instinct series, most notably Keiko Ijuu who designed the characters from Ikari Warriors, worked for Atlus in the 90s then founded Noise Factory which developed Matrimelee. She even was one of SNK's public faces in the mid 2000s, appearing in a few TV shows while working on some of their licences (Metal Slug, KOF MI).

VGDensetsu

"Re(5):Rage of the Arika" , posted Tue 5 Jun 09:29:post reply

Don't look now, but MMCafe's new favorite fighting game (???), Fighting EX Layer, comes out in a surprisingly large number of countries on June 28! I eagerly await a Steam version, but Maxi will keep me company in the meantime. Will the Eddie Gordo/Tiger Jackson of Soul Calibur continue to delight novices with his mash-friendly antics and improbably romanized name? I aim to find out!

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 5 Jun 09:46]

Yuki Yagami

143th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Rage of the Dragons" , posted Tue 5 Jun 13:50:post reply

quote:

While I like Lynn, I don't think she's main character material. I'd say either Pepe or Cassandra would fit better as protagonists, the first one as a conventional fighting game hero, the second one as a more mysterious character trying to figure out who she is (plus, DOA showed us that fanservice can be placed at the forefront). Then again, the involvement with the DD mythology was part of ROTD's appeal, at least to me.

---

Oh, and thanks for the clarification, Yuki! And yes, I agree that some company should revive the Power Instinct series. I guess Arc System Works or a SEGA studio would be more suited than SNK, though - I mean, SNK isn't even reviving its own series like Samurai Shodown or Last Blade, let alone the work from another company.

How about French Bread doing Power Instinct (Power Instinct in UNI-Style Sprites, anyone)? While waiting for them making a new Melty Blood with UNI-style sprites (though I doubt it since Type Moon has Fate as their milking cow right now)?

---

As for the ROTD "de facto" protagonist. Pepe kinda fits it (like what you said), he also had ties with the Dragon plot and could be the first Mexican protagonist for a fighting game. Lynn, in the other hand, plays the central role. Her grandfather got killed by Johann in a middle of a fight, her struggles to overcome fear and the key in awakening the White Dragon, one of the opposing forces against the Black Dragon, the real antagonist of the game.

I'd say Lynn and Pepe can be co-protagonists, and rivals story-wise (Pupa would be kind of jealous of Lynn (at first) though). Also, they might be the ones featured in promotional materials if SNK revives the series, and also adds it in Hamster's NEOGEO Arcade Archives, instead of the Lee Lewis Brothers (with respect to Arc System Works). (That is, unless SNK creates two random Japanese pretty boys as the new vessels of the Blue and Red Dragons instead.)

EDIT: The prospect of ROTD Characters (minus the Double Dragon "homages") illustrated by Ogura or Hiroaki (if SNK commissions him) could have been interesting though.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

[this message was edited by Yuki Yagami on Tue 5 Jun 14:07]

"Re(6):Rage of the Arika" , posted Tue 5 Jun 22:58post reply

Wow, I haven't thought about RotD in a long time.

quote:

Yeesh, I haven't thought about that in some time either. I'm certain it felt important at the time but, wow, what a thing to get worked up about.

Speaking of a lot of work for questionable returns...

quote:
Don't look now, but MMCafe's new favorite fighting game (???), Fighting EX Layer, comes out in a surprisingly large number of countries on June 28! I eagerly await a Steam version, but Maxi will keep me company in the meantime. Will the Eddie Gordo/Tiger Jackson of Soul Calibur continue to delight novices with his mash-friendly antics and improbably romanized name? I aim to find out!

FLEX is, for me, the weirdest release of the year. I admire the determination that is driving the production but this poor game is being sent out to die. The people who claim they want something new in the fighting game scene are just going to go back to complaining about SF5 moments after FLEX hits the shelves. Can a game with overly simple controls and an even more broken version of SFxT's gem system find an audience? Is there enough interest in the EX characters to warrant spinning them off from their SF origins? I don't have any answers but since the game does not have an overpowered Zangief that's constructed of Lego blocks my interest is not that high.

Just a Person
1972th Post

"Re(5):Rage of the Dragons" , posted Wed 6 Jun 00:11post reply

quote:
How about French Bread doing Power Instinct (Power Instinct in UNI-Style Sprites, anyone)? While waiting for them making a new Melty Blood with UNI-style sprites (though I doubt it since Type Moon has Fate as their milking cow right now)?

---

As for the ROTD "de facto" protagonist. Pepe kinda fits it (like what you said), he also had ties with the Dragon plot and could be the first Mexican protagonist for a fighting game. Lynn, in the other hand, plays the central role. Her grandfather got killed by Johann in a middle of a fight, her struggles to overcome fear and the key in awakening the White Dragon, one of the opposing forces against the Black Dragon, the real antagonist of the game.

Oooh... I love BOTH of your ideas!

Lord SNK
299th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Rage of the Dragons" , posted Wed 6 Jun 04:31post reply

quote:

I'd say Lynn and Pepe can be co-protagonists, and rivals story-wise (Pupa would be kind of jealous of Lynn (at first) though). Also, they might be the ones featured in promotional materials if SNK revives the series, and also adds it in Hamster's NEOGEO Arcade Archives, instead of the Lee Lewis Brothers (with respect to Arc System Works). (That is, unless SNK creates two random Japanese pretty boys as the new vessels of the Blue and Red Dragons instead.)

EDIT: The prospect of ROTD Characters (minus the Double Dragon "homages") illustrated by Ogura or Hiroaki (if SNK commissions him) could have been interesting though.

SNK's pretty boys you said?
I don't know what can come out if SNK would commission this to Ogura or Hiroaki, but I can imagine what could be the final result if they involve Falcoon.

"The strongest mom in fighting games?" , posted Wed 6 Jun 14:08post reply

Interview with the player with the perfect sponsor/name combination, UYU|YUYU.

Mosquiton
2372th Post

"Re(1):The strongest mom in fighting games?" , posted Thu 7 Jun 04:32post reply

quote:
Interview with the player with the perfect sponsor/name combination, UYU|YUYU.

Horray for palindromes.

/ / /

"Dead or Alive 6" , posted Fri 8 Jun 23:23post reply

DoA isn't DoA! Glad to see Team Ninja is still plugging right along. Now if Ryu and the ninja girls could just find their way into a new Ninja Gaiden...

"Re(1):Dead or Alive 6" , posted Fri 8 Jun 23:32post reply

Huh, I thought they were too wrapped up in their beach waifu DLC nonsense to care about the main series anymore. Hopefully they'll have enough sense to make just one version this time around.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(2):Dead or Alive 6" , posted Sat 9 Jun 00:38post reply

I love how the DoA6 trailer starts with a couple of muscular dudes punching each other. "Don't worry, we're a serious fighting ga....... lol just kidding here's a girl in a weird slutty pajama"

The business model of 5 worked so well they would be really silly to not emulate it. Start serious, then add sexy costumes, then add Marie-Rose, then F2P.

Professor
5443th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Dead or Alive 6" , posted Sat 9 Jun 01:10post reply

quote:
DoA isn't DoA! Glad to see Team Ninja is still plugging right along. Now if Ryu and the ninja girls could just find their way into a new Ninja Gaiden...

My first thought after clicking on the link:

The official site links to a trailer on IGN's Channel

Then my second thought was, the game actually has facial damage! AOF is here again!

"Re(3):Dead or Alive 6" , posted Sun 10 Jun 00:12post reply

quote:

The business model of 5 worked so well they would be really silly to not emulate it. Start serious, then add sexy costumes, then add Marie-Rose, then F2P.

Don’t forget bumping the game up to the upcoming next-gen consoles without offering any sort of cross buy capabilities. Watching them sell DoA5 was like watching someone expertly peel an onion. So should I buy the game right away or wait until they drop any pretense of respectability and go straight to the Beach Blanket Bingo edition? Decisions, decisions.

"Re(4):Dead or Alive 6" , posted Sun 10 Jun 12:20post reply

quote:

Don’t forget bumping the game up to the upcoming next-gen consoles without offering any sort of cross buy capabilities. Watching them sell DoA5 was like watching someone expertly peel an onion. So should I buy the game right away or wait until they drop any pretense of respectability and go straight to the Beach Blanket Bingo edition? Decisions, decisions.

That was still better treatment than they gave PC gamers. PC users had to wait until after the next-gen console versions were released just to get a last-gen console port. Which didn't even get online play until I think half a year after release. Not that anyone was playing online, because anyone who cared and had a console would play one of those superior versions that actually had a player base.

And Koei-Tecmo even defended the last gen port by claiming that they were aiming for parity across systems, not wanting any one version to be better than another, and that the PC version's support for higher resolutions was the chosen trade-off for not getting the PS4/XBoxOne additions. (The reality was most likely more a mix of not wanting the PC version to be better than the next-gen console versions and simply not wanting to spend much effort on the PC port, which was built from the PC-based arcade code for DOA5U.) Note that KT didn't seem to care about parity whenever the PC version of a release was worse than a console version. Even a last gen console version.

"SC6 Story trailer + infos" , posted Wed 13 Jun 07:36:post reply

(No time to post links atm but search a little, you'll find them)
Edit: ok fine I'm off work now

Story Trailer came out earlier, some things:
- Lizardman, Astaroth and Inferno are implied
- Story mode artwork by former SNK artist HIROAKI
- A timeline confirmed for Soul Edge up until SC3 (at least)
- Release date is October 19, 2018

Also the deluxe editions were revealed and they come with stuff, most notable the season pass which is said to include "3 characters and 2 armor sets" with apparently 1 character included at launch. Not sure if that character is from the 3 characters or counts as a fourth.

And the E3 demo has every character and stage in it that's been revealed, so there's that.

Finally, Okubo made a silly over-formatted tweet that spelled out "TALIM" so I guess she'll be revealed at some point.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Wed 13 Jun 13:36]

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(1):SC6 Story trailer + infos" , posted Wed 13 Jun 19:10post reply

quote:
- Story mode artwork by former SNK artist HIROAKI
Oh shit, is it confirmed?
The Hiroaki curse is going to claim another victim...

Just a Person
1974th Post

"Re(1):SC6 Story trailer + infos" , posted Wed 13 Jun 22:23post reply

quote:

So SC6 will be retelling the events of the series?

I like that!

Just a Person
1975th Post

"Re(2):SC6 Story trailer + infos" , posted Wed 13 Jun 22:29post reply

In other news, Switch's Super Smash Bros. game will bring... every character from all the previous entries in the series. For real.

Because of that, it won't have many newcomers to the roster (so far, Ridley, Inkling and Princess Daisy are confirmed, although Daisy will be just Peach with a different look and slightly different properties to her attacks). Sorry, Dixie, I think you won't make it again. I still love you, though.

PSN: IkariLoona
Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):SC6 Story trailer + infos" , posted Thu 14 Jun 00:07post reply

quote:

So SC6 will be retelling the events of the series?

I like that!

And from the look of things, the story mode might work like DoA5's - I liked that structure, only SC6 seems to be spreading out its events over years instead of days - which makes sense considering the travel constraints of the setting's era. And unless I'm misunderstanding it, unlike with DoA5 you get to control everyone in the process, including antagonists.

For Smash, I'm looking forward to stuff like updated codec conversations. I wish it had a story mode that made use of all the crossover characters, but I don't really expect Sakurai to change his mind on the possibility of people just slapping stuff on YouTube.

...!!

PSN: SeizyaStarlight

"Rage of the Gears" , posted Sun 17 Jun 02:43post reply

quote:
Cyberfanatix just posted an interesting piece about Rage of the Dragons.

Also, about the current rights of ROTD...

Currently the rights of the Rage of the Dragons are in limbo, so to speak. Basically they are divided in half, so that SNK has the name, EVOGA the characters, EVOGA has the concept, SNK the programming … if some project could be done in the future, they should necessarily work together.

To add from the article from what I knew.

Evoga has disappeared for a while. AFAIK, Oda wants to revive it. However, another problem lies ahead. We all know ROTD is a "homage" to Double Dragon since Evoga failed to obtain the rights of Double Dragon from Million at that time. However, Arc System Works has acquired the Technos Library which includes Double Dragon. It may cause a legal hurdle if ArcSys is in the way. If they want to push through, they have to drop the Lee Lewis Brothers and Abobo Abubo with respect to ArcSys.

If they do revive it, they have to rewrite and retcon everything and "hard reboot" the story to avoid in a legal clash with ArcSys. (Thus making Lynn the "de-facto" protagonist in the process)

If ArcSys might agree, I think they'll just replace their "homages" (Lewis Brothers and Abubo) with the real ones (Lee Brothers and Abobo) and add Angel from KOF as a guest character as a "thank you" note.

Someone tweet to Arc so that we can get a "Rage of the Dragons 2"! I've been wanting this for more than a decade! Even more than "Street Fighter IV" at the time!

Sure, the game is flawed. Sure, the moves aren't original. Sure, the walls are one of the elements that make the game borken. Sure, the visuals are limited even though there are good parts. Sure, the boss has bits of SNK Boss Syndrome. (He's actually easy if you pick a character with a ground projectile because you can bait him into a pattern you'll expose. Just make sure you pay attention to his power bar meter. I can't remember if Ann has the same trait also, as you need to land before you attack the pattern.)

Still, the game is fun. Annie is a cute character even though she's that flawed regarding her mechanics. Well, there's that and the trait of her spending too much time in Prica's and Michette's closets. (Look at "Black/Matrix" if you didn't understand the silly bit.) Oh, that funky ring music! I wish John's Gaudy Punch (rapid punch) had a follow-up attack, but oh well.

"Gotta get the edge of soul" , posted Tue 19 Jun 10:15post reply

Whaaaat, an article on Shoryuken.com that isn't a link to a youtube video? I'm as surprised as you are, but the positive trends from this interview with the Soul Calibur VI producer would be surpassed only by a decision to put the Soul Edge song into the game somewhere.
quote:
When we set out to develop SoulCalibur VI, we didn’t want to make something for the sake of the esports community, we wanted to develop something that captured the essence of SoulCalibur.
Sod off, e-sports. Soul Calibur VI is already the best game for being the anti-SFV.
quote:
What we were trying to do, going back to what I mentioned earlier about the essence of SoulCalibur — swinging weapons, freedom, tempo, quick response — merging that with the high level of battle polish from SoulCalibur V, that was the philosophy of SoulCalibur VI.

This is good, since the few unfortunate moments I spent with Soul Calibur IV felt like I was playing underwater, in 100 pounds of armor, covered in molasses.
quote:
the idea of merging the quick, responsive speed of SoulCalibur II and the battle polish of SoulCalibur V, the distance, the spacing, the mind games.
HECK YEAH

"Re(1):Gotta get the edge of soul" , posted Tue 26 Jun 22:10post reply

I don't think anyone tried Blazblue Crosstag Battle here? This game is the most amazingly trashy game I've played since MvC2 (誉め言葉).
I don't know any of the characters or original licenses, so to me it's an entire new world of dumb archetypes being dumbed down to fit into a dumb system that allows all sorts of dumb stuff. It's awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5GDF6goBcA

Just a Person
1981th Post

"Re(2):Gotta get the edge of soul" , posted Tue 26 Jun 22:59post reply

quote:
I don't think anyone tried Blazblue Crosstag Battle here? This game is the most amazingly trashy game I've played since MvC2 (誉め言葉).
I don't know any of the characters or original licenses, so to me it's an entire new world of dumb archetypes being dumbed down to fit into a dumb system that allows all sorts of dumb stuff. It's awesome.

That's not surprising: from what I read, this game may actually be more appealing to new players than to people already familiar with any of the franchises. Apparently, the unique mechanics from BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena and Under Night In-Birth were removed, considerably changing the way most characters fight (and also making them feel like they come from the same game rather than three different games with very different styles).

This decision has good and bad effects, it seems.

"Re(3):Gotta get the edge of tag" , posted Tue 26 Jun 23:36post reply

Maybe I should start paying attention to BBCTB (or however you abbreviate it) because that looks bananas. I love that two characters with mechanical scythes are running around on the screen at the same time and the game is acting like this is perfectly normal. Whoever was prescient enough to add this game to the Evo line-up did a great job because this has the potential to be wildly entertaining. At the very least it should be more fun than watching match after match of Vegeta throwing shit from the back corner of the screen.

quote:
That's not surprising: from what I read, this game may actually be more appealing to new players than to people already familiar with any of the franchises. Apparently, the unique mechanics from BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena and Under Night In-Birth were removed, considerably changing the way most characters fight (and also making them feel like they come from the same game rather than three different games with very different styles).

This decision has good and bad effects, it seems.

That's not surprising since you couldn't play MvC like SF or even MSH for that matter. The mechanics of the current game are always going to trump the unique points characters possessed in their home titles. You would think that people would recognize that these compromises must be made but some players still seem frustrated that Ryo Sakazaki doesn't handle like he did in AoF2 when he's tossed into KoF or CvS2 so this is hardly a new phenomenon.

neo0r0chiaku
409th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles
Gold Customer

"Re(2):Gotta get the edge of soul" , posted Wed 27 Jun 02:32post reply

quote:

I have it as well and interested in playing anyone here online. Still waiting the café to make a lobby for street fighter AC also.

Long Live I AM!
Just a Person
1982th Post

"Re(4):Gotta get the edge of tag" , posted Thu 28 Jun 02:44post reply

quote:
That's not surprising since you couldn't play MvC like SF or even MSH for that matter. The mechanics of the current game are always going to trump the unique points characters possessed in their home titles. You would think that people would recognize that these compromises must be made but some players still seem frustrated that Ryo Sakazaki doesn't handle like he did in AoF2 when he's tossed into KoF or CvS2 so this is hardly a new phenomenon

Agreed. To make it clear, I just reported the comments I've read, but it doesn't mean I agree with them. As long as the game is fun to play, that's all that matters.

As for the cast, I'm familiar with BlazBlue and know one or two things about Persona 4 Arena (it's a shame Teddie isn't in Cross Tag Battle). Under Night and RWBY are games (...well, RWBY is actually a web animation, according to TVTropes) I never heard about before Cross Tag Battle, though. But they look interesting.

"Re(5):Gotta get the edge of tag" , posted Thu 28 Jun 08:14post reply

quote:
As for the cast, I'm familiar with BlazBlue and know one or two things about Persona 4 Arena (it's a shame Teddie isn't in Cross Tag Battle). Under Night and RWBY are games (...well, RWBY is actually a web animation, according to TVTropes) I never heard about before Cross Tag Battle, though. But they look interesting.

RWBY is an American web series first and primarily. The RWBY game actually started as a fan project, with Rooster Teeth later hiring the fan and turning the game into an official product. Cross Tag Battle most likely draws nothing from the RWBY game.

"Re(6):Gotta get the edge of tag" , posted Thu 28 Jun 13:04post reply

I'm really quite surprised and impressed with BBTAG. What looked like a low-effort MUGEN-y game very little new characters and with what seemed to be the most watered-down control scheme ever seen in a 2D fighting game made by ArcSys instead turns out to be a really quite fun, really competitive, really deep game that even people who are terrible at fighting games can play and feel like they are cool.

Unlike DBFZ, the greater variety of the character style makes for matches that can be fought at a greater variety of ranges and pacing.

I really like playing it! It's like a Marvel Vs. game for beginners.

I can see how people who were fans of MvCI would be upset that a game that is also an asset re-hash has an Evo slot while MvCI doesn't.

"Re(7):Gotta get the edge of tag" , posted Thu 28 Jun 19:08post reply

quote:
I can see how people who were fans of MvCI would be upset that a game that is also an asset re-hash has an Evo slot while MvCI doesn't.

There's always been this tribal mentality of my game vs your game in the FGC (Marvel VS the rest, SF vs Tekken, Zero/3rd strike VS KOF/MOTW, everyone VS Smash...) but the new age of Internet toxicity has really made the air unbreathable in some places. The whole "DBZ will kill (Inset game)" and its counterpart "DBZ is a noob game that will fizzle out before a year" was annoying, and now Cross Tag and MvCI are left to quarrel over the crumbs DBZ leaves behind.
I mean... there is plenty to be upset about MvCI without having to complain about another (good) game stealing its (already non-existent) spot under the spotlight. Right?

God I'm old.

"Re(8):Gotta get the edge of tag" , posted Fri 29 Jun 07:18post reply

quote:
There's always been this tribal mentality of my game vs your game in the FGC (Marvel VS the rest, SF vs Tekken, Zero/3rd strike VS KOF/MOTW, everyone VS Smash...) but the new age of Internet toxicity has really made the air unbreathable in some places. The whole "DBZ will kill (Inset game)" and its counterpart "DBZ is a noob game that will fizzle out before a year" was annoying, and now Cross Tag and MvCI are left to quarrel over the crumbs DBZ leaves behind.
I mean... there is plenty to be upset about MvCI without having to complain about another (good) game stealing its (already non-existent) spot under the spotlight. Right?

God I'm old.

Do you remember the days of Nintendo vs. Sega?
I remember those days.... I was squarely in Nintendo's camp! Good ol' tribalism, nothing like it to remind us that we're in the 21st century...

The anti-Smash mentality has been around for so long that I'm surprised anybody can still take it seriously, but people sure can be irrational about the entertainment that they've taken to be part of their identity.

"'Fighting EX Layer' report" , posted Mon 2 Jul 19:47post reply

So, I got the standard version of "Fighting EX Layer". Sure, it feels bland regarding the overall presentation. Sure, spending an extra 20 for Hokuto and extra decks doesn't justify the extra moolah. (Why did they not bring back Amano Yuri-san? Money probably.) Sure, its visuals may be outdated.

I still got it anyway because at least Arika tries to take in our input seriously unlike some company I know that rhymes with Gapcom. This might as well be the "Rage of the Dragons II" I search for. The dream may be impossible now. Oh, and if you get economic version, you'll actually pay more.

People say that combos are simple. Maybe it's my skills that have seen better days, but I find them to be tight as in restricted tight, not amazing tight. You can unlock the kumite mode in the training mode. I wish I can provide more details, but I've not played the "EX" games in well over a decade.

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341
Gold Customer

"Re(1):'Fighting EX Layer' report" , posted Mon 2 Jul 23:32post reply

I've been having a lot of fun with "FEXL" too. I never really played much of the street fighter EX games, so I like it despite my unfamiliarity. I did spring for the more expensive ver but I don't feel like I got much. Hokuto only has like 1 more command normal and one less rekka option than Shirase, and I couldn't discern if there were hidden KOFXIII style "Team DLC secretly have better hitboxes than their free counterparts" sort of deal (which I hope they didn't do). On the visual end of things I do like the character models, I think they did a better job than SFV (Darun looks so good!), but the animations are a little rough, and it's not helped with how attacks don't have hitstop when they connect, which makes some combos a bit more difficult despite how simple they look.

And about the difficulty, I don't necessarily agree that combos are easy. The game is less about modern super long "anything can pretty much combo to anything but it's about which route is most optimal" and more about old school "trying to input a complex super move motion during the short period of a light attack's hitstop" type of deal (more reminiscent of these KOF98 Heavy D combos or that famous James Chen 2-hit combo video). This also figures in the weird juggle system it has too. It's pretty apparent from the rather difficult combo trials mode, which after mostly easy BBTAG one and the pretty much useless one in DBFZ and KOFXIV, is a breath of fresh air.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/
pretzelmotion.com

"Re(2):'Fighting EX Layer' report" , posted Tue 3 Jul 04:31post reply

quote:
I've been having a lot of fun with "FEXL" too. I never really played much of the street fighter EX games, so I like it despite my unfamiliarity. I did spring for the more expensive ver but I don't feel like I got much. Hokuto only has like 1 more command normal and one less rekka option than Shirase, and I couldn't discern if there were hidden KOFXIII style "Team DLC secretly have better hitboxes than their free counterparts" sort of deal (which I hope they didn't do). On the visual end of things I do like the character models, I think they did a better job than SFV (Darun looks so good!), but the animations are a little rough, and it's not helped with how attacks don't have hitstop when they connect, which makes some combos a bit more difficult despite how simple they look.

And about the difficulty, I don't necessarily agree that combos are easy. The game is less about modern super long "anything can pretty much combo to anything but it's about which route is most optimal" and more about old school "trying to input a complex super move motion during the short period of a light attack's hitstop" type of deal (more reminiscent of these KOF98 Heavy D combos or that famous James Chen 2-hit combo video). This also figures in the weird juggle system it has too. It's pretty apparent from the rather difficult combo trials mode, which after mostly easy BBTAG one and the pretty m

The one thing I've never liked about the SFEX games and FEXL is how the jumping feels. It's somehow... too fast and too high? And yet I don't feel that way about Blanka or claw Vega jumps in traditional SF games.

"Re(3):'Fighting EX Layer' report" , posted Tue 3 Jul 07:16post reply

ALLEN SNIDER HAS THIS HIGHEST WINRATE IN FEXL RIGHT NOW?!?!?!?

https://twitter.com/FightingExLayer/status/1013667278183751680

Neo0r0chiaku
411th Post

XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles
Gold Customer

"Re(1):'Fighting EX Layer' report" , posted Tue 3 Jul 12:21post reply

quote:
So, I got the standard version of "Fighting EX Layer". Sure, it feels bland regarding the overall presentation. Sure, spending an extra 20 for Hokuto and extra decks doesn't justify the extra moolah. (Why did they not bring back Amano Yuri-san? Money probably.) Sure, its visuals may be outdated.

I still got it anyway because at least Arika tries to take in our input seriously unlike some company I know that rhymes with Gapcom. This might as well be the "Rage of the Dragons II" I search for. The dream may be impossible now. Oh, and if you get economic version, you'll actually pay more.

People say that combos are simple. Maybe it's my skills that have seen better days, but I find them to be tight as in restricted tight, not amazing tight. You can unlock the kumite mode in the training mode. I wish I can provide more details, but I've not played the "EX" games in well over a decade.

Will this game have a physical release?

Long Live I AM!

"Re(2):'Fighting EX Layer' report" , posted Tue 3 Jul 16:01post reply

quote:
Will this game have a physical release?

Only in Japan.

"Re(1):Gotta get the edge of soul" , posted Sat 7 Jul 02:48post reply

Hey, Talim is back! It's a character... I never really played. However, whenever I fought her I always felt uncomfortable about using a giant sword to beat the crap out of a small girl so her return helps complete the SC experience.

Wii: NNID:sfried
Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Gotta get the edge of Skull" , posted Sat 7 Jul 08:52post reply

Oh hey, Skullgirls is getting a Nintendo Switch release. This was just right after Pocket Rumble finally came out...

Suddenly the next few months are looking to be very fighting game oriented.

Just a Person
1984th Post

"Re(3):Gotta get the edge of Skull" , posted Sun 8 Jul 23:26post reply

Great to see Skullgirls is still alive!

This game deserves a sequel, or at least to get more fighters in the current game. I'd really love to see the inclusion of Isaac the time-traveller, or Black Dahlia the masked gangster...

"Re(4):Gotta get the edge of Skull" , posted Mon 9 Jul 05:16post reply

I'm still thinking that a lot of fighting games will be physically painful to play with the Switch controllers. Heck, often when I'm playing not very intense games on the Switch in portable mode, I hear creaking sounds from the controllers and I feel like I'm holding it way more carefully than I hold a regular home console controller!

"Re(5):Gotta get the edge of Skull" , posted Mon 9 Jul 22:25post reply

I forgot that Pocket Rumble existed. I suspect the game's creators are hoping that SNK's copyright attorneys have forgotten about it as well.

Wii: NNID:sfried
Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):Gotta get the edge of Skull" , posted Tue 10 Jul 09:37:post reply

quote:
I'm still thinking that a lot of fighting games will be physically painful to play with the Switch controllers. Heck, often when I'm playing not very intense games on the Switch in portable mode, I hear creaking sounds from the controllers and I feel like I'm holding it way more carefully than I hold a regular home console controller!

The split D-Pad hasn't caused any problems for those who like the Dual Shock. Why would the Joy Con's be any different? (Plus there's the Pro Controller and 3rd party accessories.)

Speaking of ways to grip, the Flip Grip looks like a pretty cool way to tate on the go. It's being headed by Jeremy "Metroidvania" Parish and Mike Choi and Fangamer, and already blew past their goal on the 1st day!

[this message was edited by sfried on Tue 10 Jul 09:38]

"Re(6):Gotta get the edge of Skull" , posted Wed 11 Jul 23:08post reply

It sounds like Fighting EX Layer is getting an arcade mode. This is good news. I found the demo to be borderline nonsensical so anything that will allow me to spend time with the game without taking it seriously makes me more inclined to purchase FEXL.