user profileedit/delete message
MMCafe Owner

"Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Mon 14 May 23:46post reply

Fighting games confirmed for the year 2018:

- Dissidia Final Fantasy / Jan 11
- Street Fighter V AE / Jan 17
- Dragon Ball FighterZ / Jan 26, Feb 1
- Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] / JP:2017 , NA^EU: Feb 9

- Street Fighter 30th Anniversay Collection (feat.Exodus) / May 29 (JP:TBA)
- Blazblue Cross Tag Battle (50% DLC) / May 31
- Fighting EX Layer / Spring (before June 30)
- Blade Strangers /Summer
- SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy / September 9
- Soul Calibur VI / TBA
- Smash Bros. Switch / TBA
- Guilty Gear XX ACore Plus R for Nintendo Switch / TBA
- Kungfu vs Karate / TBA *JP-Arcades

Replies:

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Tue 15 May 03:15post reply

Thanks for this report on EVO Japan Professor, but I have a question; did anyone expect to make money off this thing? While the loss is jaw dropping when you first see it the people who were running this event must have known for months how the event was going to turn out. Was Evo Japan always considered a loss-leader or was the only reason it was held was because the contracts were already signed? If the powers that be switched up to a larger venue it suggests they were fine with the outcome but since half of the decision making process in the game industry is a baffling mystery it's hard to say.

quote:
This is the best thing to come out of this game this year.

This is an abomination so I approve.

Professor
5431th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Tue 15 May 04:17:post reply

quote:
Thanks for this report on EVO Japan Professor, but I have a question; did anyone expect to make money off this thing? While the loss is jaw dropping when you first see it the people who were running this event must have known for months how the event was going to turn out. Was Evo Japan always considered a loss-leader or was the only reason it was held was because the contracts were already signed? If the powers that be switched up to a larger venue it suggests they were fine with the outcome but since half of the decision making process in the game industry is a baffling mystery it's hard to say.

This is the best thing to come out of this game this year.

This is an abomination so I approve.

I'm sure the organizers knew they were going to be in for the red since it's their first time, but I question whether they were expecting to get hit with such a huge loss. My own guess is that by the time they realized how much they were bleeding, it was too late to turn back and needed to keep going forward in hopes that some sponsors would come to rescue them.

However it's always been questionable whether there'd be traditional Japanese companies that would want to relate themselves to fighting games. And I think this EVO Japan might've answered that.

Venue costs just CAN'T be the main reason behind their loss. The Akiba UDX and Sunshine City venue together probably didn't count for even a tenth of their red ink. I think the biggest mistake they might've made, my guess, is they probably didn't have an executive from their company looking over the operation at all times to see if unnessesary money was being spent. They hired a freelance writer as the event CEO; he might've had connections to the various fighting game communities, but it's questionable whether he had budget management skills. He isn't known for event organizing skills either.

When plans keep on rapidly changing even up to a month or so before the event, that's a bad sign. If charging companies double the price of JAEPO for booths isn't helping offset costs, that's a bad sign. If you end up with a tournament that gets ridiculed as the "Cup Noodle cup" because of the singular advertisement presence for Nisshin all over the place and even on the microphone, that's a bad sign.

Plain and simple, it might've been a good tournament, but it was bad business management.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 15 May 06:21]

"Re(3):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Tue 15 May 23:27post reply

quote:
Plain and simple, it might've been a good tournament, but it was bad business management.

Tougeki has returned!

People in the tournament scene like to talk about how many big tournaments are created and run by people in the community. But what they don't mention is that these are people in the community who know what they are doing. It sounds like too much of Evo Japan was left in the hands of people who had more enthusiasm than skills. But what's more troubling is the fact that stuffy Japanese advertisers couldn't be convinced to get on board. Hopefully that's more due to poor management than a sign that this style of tournament will have trouble gaining traction in Japan.

"Re(4):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Wed 16 May 03:20post reply

quote:
Tougeki has returned!

I loved SBO dearly but the truth hurts.

Professor
5432th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Wed 16 May 03:50:post reply

quote:
It sounds like too much of Evo Japan was left in the hands of people who had more enthusiasm than skills. But what's more troubling is the fact that stuffy Japanese advertisers couldn't be convinced to get on board. Hopefully that's more due to poor management than a sign that this style of tournament will have trouble gaining traction in Japan.

I'm relatively confident that outside of the videogame, snack, and beverage industry, it's probably going to be pretty hard to find Japanese companies that'd be interested in becoming sponsors for fighting game tournaments. I have no idea how the EVO Japan comittee can even try to convince them. What they probably need to do is to hire a really good advertizement agency to help them out.,, but that by itself is probably going to kill their budget, catch 22.

quote:
I loved SBO dearly but the truth hurts.

The company that was hired to run the brackets and tournaments at EVO Japan just so happens to be the same that ran SBO!

(But no, they're not management and they don't decide on the venue & etc. The losses aren't their fault.)

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 16 May 03:50]

"Re(5):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Wed 16 May 07:20post reply

quote:

The company that was hired to run the brackets and tournaments at EVO Japan just so happens to be the same that ran SBO!

Initial response:

quote:

(But no, they're not management and they don't decide on the venue & etc. The losses aren't their fault.)

Current response:

"Re(6):Fighting Game Thread Summer 2018" , posted Wed 16 May 22:46post reply

Say, did anyone try out the demo for BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle? Any thoughts?

As for me I thought that it's a shame the DLC tomfoolery has overshadowed everything else because it seems like the game could be quite fun. Since I'm also wildly out of the loop with ArcSys games I took the release of this demo as an opportunity to get caught back up on BB and the like. Good grief! If the people in charge think this multiple timeline insanity is a perfectly serviceable little backdrop for a fighting game it's no wonder they thought the DLC was a good idea.

Just a Person
1967th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Thu 17 May 00:07post reply

...Okay, Capcom may be taking the crossover mania a little too far.

Then again, if this generates some income (as small as it is) for them to make up for any financial losses their current fighting games may have caused, that's great, I guess.

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.

"Re(1):Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Thu 17 May 01:39post reply

They are fighting outside of a Krispy Kreme?

Outside of Guile being replaced by Max Payne the character models are surprisingly good.

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
CFN: n/a
Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Thu 17 May 02:34post reply

quote:

Outside of Guile being replaced by Max Payne the character models are surprisingly good.

Although... I was surprised at how blank the SF crew's expressions are-- I mean really, when Gouki is the character with the most expressive one, you've got a serious problem. I don't know, maybe that's just how the SFV models are?

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(3):Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Thu 17 May 05:00post reply

Wow if that didn't have an official trailer I would have believed it was a silly fan mod. The character models look like they were ripped straight out of SFV but stopped short of doing any real work to make them fit in.

quote:
Although... I was surprised at how blank the SF crew's expressions are-- I mean really, when Gouki is the character with the most expressive one, you've got a serious problem. I don't know, maybe that's just how the SFV models are?

I think it's more a problem with the fact that the game has been made up of 90% masked characters so they probably didn't think they would ever need to rig up facial expressions. Oops on them.

GekigangerV
2021th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5
CFN: gekijmo

"Re(2):Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Thu 17 May 06:43:post reply

quote:

Krispy Kreme is really getting a lot of mileage out of that movie tie in.
I wonder why they are using the Japanese voices as default. Seems kind of strange for a western release.

It looks like a lot of fans of the game are disappointed since they wanted more classic Rangers, but I have to say I am now interested in the game.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Thu 17 May 06:50]

"Umihara Kawase had more than one character" , posted Thu 17 May 13:01post reply

Somebody here will be tickled pink to remember that that's the case.

No seriously, when they mentioned that they had brought in another character from Umihara Kawase, I thought it was going to be a fish. I didn't remember at all that the 3DS game added more characters to the game!

This game loves obscure characters even more than me! How could I not love it!

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(1):Umihara Kawase had more than one charac" , posted Thu 17 May 21:33post reply

quote:
This game loves obscure characters even more than me! How could I not love it!

Not so obscure, but still unlikely: some (potentially) unused files in Blazblue Crossover Nonsense Battle seem to hint that Senran Kagura characters have been considered.
Even I have trouble to follow which unlikely crossover fighting game of mid-summer 2018 has which character. Now all we need is a new Nitroplus Heroine and a truckload of aspirin.

Professor
5433th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Thu 17 May 23:57post reply

quote:

I didn't notice that until reading your post! All we need now is a Taco Bell shop...

quote:

It also seems that Lipsynching doesn't exist in the world of Power Rangers.

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
CFN: n/a
Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Go, go, Street Fighters" , posted Fri 18 May 02:03post reply

quote:

I think it's more a problem with the fact that the game has been made up of 90% masked characters so they probably didn't think they would ever need to rig up facial expressions. Oops on them.

Yeah, plus it's mobile, which might have something to do with it? Still, it's super disconcerting.
quote:

It also seems that Lipsynching doesn't exist in the world of Power Rangers.

Haha, totally! I mean, I know that not every player will notice these things, but it's touches like that that make a difference between a half-baked cash in game and one that looks like the people making it cared about it a little bit. I also notice that there seem to be weird delays in some of the moves, but who knows what that could mean.

I dunno, this could have been a kinda cool crossover idea like Tatsunoko vs Capcom but instead it seems awfully cheap and bland. I'm also admittedly not the best person to talk about it since I'm hardly invested in the Power Rangers end of things.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Yoshimoto? Wakamitsu? Returns" , posted Sat 19 May 17:13post reply

Yoshimitsu JP trailer

I have to say that even though I love Wakamoto I never felt like his voice totally suited Yoshimitsu until I heard it coming out of this design.

(Yeah there was an EN trailer but his EN voice sounds like a literal clown)

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(1):Yoshimoto? Wakamitsu? Returns" , posted Sat 19 May 23:26post reply

quote:
Yoshimitsu JP trailer

Magnificent! I miss the squeakier, more obviously noh/kabuki-linked voice of the early days, but of course Wakamitsu makes it just fine.

I imagine Namco PR to always be on the back foot, having to first weaken their glorious trailers with those weak-ass English voices before restoring excitement levels with the original. Or maybe they don't know? Either way, I get the impression they give American fans more of a blast to the past of early 1990s "Japanimation" dubs than they be interested in.

BONUS
Wakamoto is the Japanese dub for which poster?
Professor
Iggy
Rugal
Shingo the One

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

"Re(2):Yoshimoto? Wakamitsu? Returns" , posted Sun 20 May 10:15post reply

I agree; although I like Yoshimitsu and Wakamoto I never felt the two went that well together. Hearing Wakamoto doing his thing while Yoshi was pogo sticking around the room never seemed quite right. Oh well, all three of my main characters are back so I'm happy.

I wonder if they are saving Voldo for E3? Let's hope they bring cosplayers out on stage!

quote:

BONUS
Poll

Write-in vote for Hague.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(3):Yoshimoto? Wakamitsu? Returns" , posted Mon 21 May 00:53post reply

quote:
BONUS
Poll Write-in vote for Hague.

My god, it's perfect. Perhaps the master of the posting equivalent of this legendary scene.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...