user profileedit/delete message
PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Saturn USB Controller's Revenge" , posted Mon 16 Jan 03:07:post reply

There sure are a lot of fighting games out these days! My horrifying Halloween tale of mid-match controller death was truuuue, and I need your help! Assuming you didn't sell your Toxico's soul for the genuine Sega-made USB Saturn pad that went out of print long ago, these are the options I see:

Madcatz SFIV Fightpad
: I've used these before but still don't know if I can overcome the aesthetic crimes of SFIV's art.

Madcatz SFV Fightpad Pro
: These are blessedly free of SFIV stuff, but I hear the dpad is surprisingly terrible?

Udon PS2 pad
: While it seems insane to buy another one of these and to keep using a PS2>USB converter, it served me well until the...incident.

Hori Fighting Commander (2016)
: This new edition ditched the misshapen design and added a PC switch, but I'm still uneasy about a cross pad as opposed to an 8-way, even though I think Mosquiton or Freeter told me in the other thread to open up my mind.

Decades later, I still suck at joysticks.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 16 Jan 03:14]

Replies:

Micky Kusanagi
581th Post

PSN: MickyKusanagi
CFN: MickyKusanagi
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Saturn USB Controller's Revenge" , posted Mon 16 Jan 05:42post reply

The only pad I've ever tried in person among those is the SFIV one, I really like its D-Pad but the PS3 version inevitably stops syncing with the dongle after some months, which made me angry on MadCatz for not making both versions wired. Guess you'll buy the X360 one if you go for this controller, so you won't have to brace yourself for such a horror story. Stay away from the SFxT model at any cost!! Diagonals are a nightmare on that thing.

I'm tempted to buy a Hori someday, mostly for emulation purposes, but since 32 bit systems feature games which require analog thumbsticks, I always resort to PS2 knockoff pads x'D

Ore no...kachi da!!
LEGENOARYNINLIA
533th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Saturn USB Controller's Revenge" , posted Mon 16 Jan 07:21post reply

You can still get Sega "Play" USB controllers which are just rebranded Saturn USB pads. Search Ebay for "sega play usb" or "sega play controller" to find them.

~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
videograpple.tumblr.com/

"Re(3):Saturn USB Controller's Revenge" , posted Mon 16 Jan 07:56:post reply

Interesting points both, including that there's a difference between the SFIV and SFxT Madcatz controllers. Speaking of differences, thanks for the reminder of the Sega Play version of the Saturn USB pad, which I'd forgotten about. I've generally read that its quality is inferior to the original Sega Logistics Service version, this thread included, but I imagine it's still better than the Chinese Retrolink knock-offs that infest the internet nowadays.  (I don't know if you can have a controller "harem," but if you can, this guy has one, and seems to corroborate the above.)

Or maybe I'm being overly cautious on the cross pad on the new Hori. I never found the SFC pad easy to use for fighters, but maybe this is better?

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 16 Jan 09:42]

Mosquiton
2242th Post

"Re(4):Saturn USB Controller's Revenge" , posted Mon 16 Jan 14:41post reply

quote:
Interesting points both, including that there's a difference between the SFIV and SFxT Madcatz controllers. Speaking of differences, thanks for the reminder of the Sega Play version of the Saturn USB pad, which I'd forgotten about. I've generally read that its quality is inferior to the original Sega Logistics Service version, this thread included, but I imagine it's still better than the Chinese Retrolink knock-offs that infest the internet nowadays.  (I don't know if you can have a controller "harem," but if you can, this guy has one, and seems to corroborate the above.)

Or maybe I'm being overly cautious on the cross pad on the new Hori. I never found the SFC pad easy to use for fighters, but maybe this is better?

You are driving me insane, man!

I have the old, weird/awesome-shadows model, but get the Hori.

/ / /
Micky Kusanagi
584th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Saturn USB Controller's Revenge" , posted Mon 16 Jan 18:36:post reply

Just a little follow up: the SFxT MadCatz can be improved, but you must open it -don't know what kind of screws it sports, they're so freaking tiny- and place a cross carved out of a clamshell plastic box into its D-Pad. People say it works, but that doesn't mean I'm not strongly against that abomination of a pad.

Ore no...kachi da!!

[this message was edited by Micky Kusanagi on Mon 16 Jan 18:44]

"Re(5):Saturn USB Controller's Revenge" , posted Tue 17 Jan 05:34:post reply

quote:
You are driving me insane, man!

Ha, but d-pads are devastatingly important! Why, the need for Saturn-y perfectness burns so deeply that sometimes for old times' sake I just need to... MESSATSU
quote:
Just a little follow up: the SFxT MadCatz can be improved, but you must open it and place a cross carved out of a clamshell plastic box into its D-Pad.
Advanced techniques! Very interesting. I also opened up my busted pad and found that the d-pad corresponded to a plastic cross that in turn hits the plastic covers over the circuit board...even some two-ton epoxy, which is the Final Atomic Buster of superglue, couldn't fuse that plastic base back together well enough to survive a stress test.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 17 Jan 08:15]

PSN: IkariLoona
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(6):Saturn USB Controller's Revenge" , posted Tue 17 Jan 19:45post reply

For what it's worth, I used to have a MadCatz SF4 one for PS3 which after some months of play became unusable, as the D-pad was stuck in the down direction - hopefully those things have improved since.

...!!
Professor
5074th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Saturn USB Controller's Revenge" , posted Wed 18 Jan 01:11post reply

Wow even this place is out of stock.. it's becoming harder and harder to fix vintage gaming

It's times like these that Amazon Japan reviews can be actually helpful.

Hori
Madcatz

neo0r0chiaku
285th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles
Copper Customer

"Re(1):Saturn USB Controller's Revenge" , posted Wed 18 Jan 03:36post reply

quote:
There sure are a lot of fighting games out these days! My horrifying Halloween tale of mid-match controller death was truuuue, and I need your help! Assuming you didn't sell your Toxico's soul for the genuine Sega-made USB Saturn pad that went out of print long ago, these are the options I see:

Madcatz SFIV Fightpad
: I've used these before but still don't know if I can overcome the aesthetic crimes of SFIV's art.

Madcatz SFV Fightpad Pro
: These are blessedly free of SFIV stuff, but I hear the dpad is surprisingly terrible?

Udon PS2 pad
: While it seems insane to buy another one of these and to keep using a PS2>USB converter, it served me well until the...incident.

: This new edition ditched the misshapen design and added a PC switch, but I'm still uneasy about a cross pad as opposed to an 8-way, even though I think Mosquiton or Freeter told me in the other thread to open up my mind.

The Udon PS2 pad was the only thing closest to a good fighting pad available since at the time, the DC was dead. It was also the time when most of us had to use a Playstation 2 for fighting games. I think I remember one of the buttons falling or not pressable anymore.

I also had the SFIV pad for the X360 and it was great for my fightng games. However, it was so annoying that the mini piece (adapter?) at the end of the cord connecting to the usb always had a tendency of falling off very easily. So many matches I lost thanks to that piece!

The Hori crosspadd might be as good as the DC controller. I believe that was the only original console controller that worked well with fighting games. At least during my time.

Maou, as much as I wanted to buy and own Arcade Sticks, I was never good with one. I did have one but we were told to clamp it down on a table. We did not do that as it would scratch or dent the Arcade Stick.

Long Live I AM!

"Re(7):Hori's Revenge" , posted Wed 18 Jan 09:53:post reply

Thanks, Cafe! In view of the perils of perishing Madcatz pads and the additional Amazon Japan reference, I've trusted Mosquiton as usual and am about to try the new Hori, certain that reprisals will be swift if this advice fails me...I mean, that it will be wonderful! I will report.

Maybe we can start a general controller thread one day. I'd never thought of the DC controller as one of the greats for fighters, though it's a perfect match for Soul Calibur.
quote:
Wow even this place is out of stock.
They may be out, but this is a great resource all the same, Professor! I love that their mission statement involves bringing love, justice, and human prosperity!

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 18 Jan 15:30]

"Re(8):Hori's Revenge" , posted Tue 24 Jan 10:26post reply

THRILLING UPDATES

I've been breaking in the 2016 version of the Hori Fighting Commander, pleasantly devoid of the ghastly malformed design of the previous edition and the Madcatz product. Now I'm passing my results to YOU, the taxpayer:

I have never seen a cross pad that worked this well! Even my sorry ass can pull of 720s, and that's a good enough test for me! I'm impressed by how much resistance/spring-back the d-pad has, almost like a joystick. This will work just fine until Sega gets over their reluctace to making unlimited money on a Saturn pad reissue.

Not that they matter that much, but the shoulder buttons feel crappy and flimsy. Why?

Like other pads which are not the Udon pad, the face buttons unhelpfully include R1 and R2 rather than R1 and L1, leaving you with unhelpful duplicate R1 and R2 buttons on the right shoulder that you will never ever use, rather than being able to rebind them as a different button/function (grab, etc.) along with the left shoulder buttons. Too bad!

In conclusion, I look forward to continuing to be a B- player of fighting games with you all online, courtesy of this helpful advice. Thanks, Cafe!

Mosquiton
2247th Post

"Re(9):Hori's Revenge" , posted Tue 24 Jan 13:04post reply

quote:
I've trusted Mosquiton as usual and am about to try the new Hori, certain that reprisals will be swift if this advice fails me.

Wow, sounds like Mosquiton's personal reputation as a guy who knows his stuff is on the line!

quote:

I have never seen a cross pad that worked this well! Even my sorry ass can pull of 720s, and that's a good enough test for me! I'm impressed by how much resistance/spring-back the d-pad has, almost like a joystick.....

In conclusion, I look forward to continuing to be a B- player of fighting games with you all online, courtesy of this helpful advice. Thanks, Cafe!

I'm just going to assume this blanket thanks includes an unspoken "no reprisals," then.

/ / /
Micky Kusanagi
597th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Hori's Revenge" , posted Tue 24 Jan 17:59post reply

Shall we try and turn it into a full fledged controller thread?

Hori granted my wish, a PS4 Noir style stick. I knew it'd happen right after the console Tekken 7 announcement. Given how I'm not a fan of the Viewlix aesthetics, I may waste some serious bucks on this thing in June.

Ore no...kachi da!!

"JOYSTICKS AND CONTROLLERS THREAD" , posted Wed 25 Jan 10:12post reply

quote:
Wow, sounds like Mosquiton's personal reputation as a guy who knows his stuff is on the line!
I'm just going to assume this blanket thanks includes an unspoken "no reprisals," then.

You are correct! The only reprisals that should be extracted are by you for my (d-pad)cross-doubting ways, I have seen the light! Please come back to SFV and we can test it, I promise to try to make the mod community patch Two-P into the game in the highly unlikely event that he is not already confirmed for Season 2.

JOYSTICKS AND CONTROLLER THREAD NOW
if you want

I'm thinking the Cafe must have some serious joystick buyers, a weighty proposition I've never considered (and not just because I'm better on pad). I recall Professor or Brandon or someone doing some serious button replacement work, and that it was hard to get good parts outside of Japan. What do you use?

Professor
5081th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):JOYSTICKS AND CONTROLLERS THREAD" , posted Wed 25 Jan 23:30post reply

quote:
You are correct! The only reprisals that should be extracted are by you for my (d-pad)cross-doubting ways, I have seen the light! Please come back to SFV and we can test it, I promise to try to make the mod community patch Two-P into the game in the highly unlikely event that he is not already confirmed for Season 2.

if you want

I'm thinking the Cafe must have some serious joystick buyers, a weighty proposition I've never considered (and not just because I'm better on pad). I recall Professor or Brandon or someone doing some serious button replacement work, and that it was hard to get good parts outside of Japan. What do you use?

I replaced my default stick with a sample a while back but nothing special otherwise! It's starting to make sounds so I think it needs to be greased..

Mosquiton
2248th Post

"Re(1):JOYSTICKS AND CONTROLLERS THREAD" , posted Thu 26 Jan 07:23post reply

quote:
Please come back to SFV and we can test it, I promise to try to make the mod community patch Two-P into the game in the highly unlikely event that he is not already confirmed for Season 2.

Oh man, if I can catch up with work, find a new apartment, and buy a new television I might try to check out what's up with Claw in season 2.

I am feeling pretty out of the loop with SFV right now, and I haven't even checked out the KOFXIV graphics patch.

/ / /
Micky Kusanagi
600th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):JOYSTICKS AND CONTROLLERS THREAD" , posted Thu 26 Jan 21:06post reply

quote:

if you want

I'm glad you accepted my suggestion Maou ^^

I'm an occasional stick buyer, and almost all of them are used:
-a Hori Fighting Stick EX2
-two Namco -one's joystick is loose as fuck, probably from savage wiggling on the previous owner's part, and it's a shame because it's Japanese judging from its label; the other is still doing great-
-a Japanese Tekken 5 modded with Sanwa buttons -X, Square, Triangle and L1 match the MVS color layout- and a dark red balltop, a MadCatz Soul Calibur V X360.

The only stick I've bought brand new so far is the HRAP.V Hayabusa I chose to match my PS4.

Ore no...kachi da!!
Micky Kusanagi
615th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):JOYSTICKS AND CONTROLLERS THREAD" , posted Sat 4 Feb 19:19post reply

MadCatz Tekken 7 sticks coming

While I was kinda expecting it -not sure because of their recent troubles-, seeing the Noir layout living on in a MadCatz stick is awesome to me.

Ore no...kachi da!!

PSN: Drakee
XBL: eccothedolphin
CFN: eccothedolphin
Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):JOYSTICKS AND CONTROLLERS THREAD" , posted Wed 8 Mar 18:00post reply

quote:
MadCatz Tekken 7 sticks coming

While I was kinda expecting it -not sure because of their recent troubles-, seeing the Noir layout living on in a MadCatz stick is awesome to me.

Wish they'd have extended it to TE-S+, a much better stick. My custom stick was built off of the old Soul Calibur V TE-S, one of the two prior Noir TEs they did (TTT2 also), feels much more solid than TE2 to me.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(9):Hori's Revenge" , posted Wed 8 Mar 22:26post reply

Dear Café,

A friend who's been playing Street Fighter as Claw since SF2' is looking for a new pad to start SF5.
Am I right assuming both Mosquiton and Maou recommend the Hori Fighting Commander pad on PC?

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(10):Hori's Revenge" , posted Thu 9 Mar 03:59post reply

MadCatz is still making sticks? I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, I honestly thought they were in such dire shape that they were even going to be around this summer much less put out an entirely new stick.

"Re(2):Re(10):Iggy's Revenge" , posted Thu 9 Mar 10:51:post reply

I have been very pleased with Mosquiton's expert recommendation. First time a cross pad (as opposed to a full circle) hasn't let me down, showing that it's all in the pad indentation as opposed to the shape.

However Madcatz itself is doing, I remember noticing at least a few people complaining that the d-pads on those SFV Shadowloo-branded pads didn't work well.

For my 10,000th post, who will buy me a genuine SLS Saturn pad for PC?

PS: Dear Iggy, I never get to play against any Claws, please invite him to our next lounge.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 9 Mar 12:37]

Professor
5099th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):Iggy's Revenge" , posted Sat 11 Mar 23:58:post reply

quote:
I have been very pleased with Mosquiton's expert recommendation. First time a cross pad (as opposed to a full circle) hasn't let me down, showing that it's all in the pad indentation as opposed to the shape.

However Madcatz itself is doing, I remember noticing at least a few people complaining that the d-pads on those SFV Shadowloo-branded pads didn't work well.

For my 10,000th post, who will buy me a genuine SLS Saturn pad for PC?

PS: Dear Iggy, I never get to play against any Claws, please invite him to our next lounge.

Is it going to rain handcuffs tomorrow? Maou has changed his avatar in lord knows how long! (Next time I'll use claw.

Madcatz is not doing well. Personal prediction is they'll get delisted next FY.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 12 Mar 00:00]

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(4):Re(10):Iggy's Revenge" , posted Fri 31 Mar 23:57post reply

Madcatz declared bankruptcy. This may not be the end but you can certainly see the end from here.

Yuki Yagami

22th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Iggy's Revenge" , posted Sat 1 Apr 00:05post reply

quote:
Madcatz declared bankruptcy. This may not be the end but you can certainly see the end from here.

Well, I posted it as well in the Fighting Games Thread.

Yeah, everything has gone for worse with Mad Catz.

"Lasciate ogne speranza"

PSN: Drakee
XBL: eccothedolphin
CFN: eccothedolphin
Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):Re(10):Iggy's Revenge" , posted Sat 1 Apr 19:26post reply

quote:
Yeah, everything has gone for worse with Mad Catz.

The writing's been on the wall for a while... when I was trying to get TE parts over a year ago (you know, they stocked them in all colors so you could customize!) there was almost nothing in stock. And everything that was in stock was the last of what it was. And this wasn't just TE/TE-S, they had abandoned the TE2 line which had been advertised around that stuff as well. Already!

Logitech bought Saitek from MCZ, but I think only the flight stick stuff- which means the Saitek Eclipse/Mad Catz/Cyborg V5 keyboard is finally dead. I've long since moved on to a mechanical keyboard but I had such fond memories of those. Sad.

ANYWAY... the online store didn't last much longer after the part drought, I don't think, and that's when I kinda figured my next case would not be one of theirs. They lasted longer than I expected. It's too bad, the Noir TE-S enclosure from SCV/TTT2 is still my favorite stick in terms of size and general lap feel out there.

Neo0r0chiaku
344th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Saturn USB Controller's Revenge" , posted Wed 30 Aug 11:12:post reply

quote:

Madcatz SFIV Fightpad

Madcatz SFV Fightpad Pro

Udon PS2 pad

I must say that the Hori fighting commander feels so much better then the PS4 controller . As a fighting game controller does feel great like the good old days. I still tend to get confused on the shoulder buttons but that's minor. Thanks for the suggestion!

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by Neo0r0chiaku on Wed 30 Aug 11:20]

Professor
5294th Post

MMCafe Owner

"SEGAGAGAGAGA !!" , posted Thu 21 Dec 06:33:post reply

For what may come as good news.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 21 Dec 06:34]

"Re(1):SEGAGAGAGAGA !!" , posted Sat 30 Dec 01:11:post reply

quote:
For what may come as good news.

I meant to mention earlier how interested I am in this! I had to stop and think about where I'd heard of them before, and while I'm a little wary now that I remember that they were one of many manufacturers of B-grade inexpensive Saturn pad clones all over Amazon, maybe they can pull a Madcatz and move from ridiculous to high-quality once they went official?

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 30 Dec 02:04]

Ungenesis
473th Post

Wii: ungenesis
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis
Gold Customer

"Re(2):SEGAGAGAGAGA !!" , posted Fri 12 Jan 23:45post reply

Lookin' mighty fine!

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Anyone still playing Phantasy Star Online 2?
Ship: 2
ID: entropytempts
neo0r0chiaku
376th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):SEGAGAGAGAGA !!" , posted Sat 13 Jan 00:27post reply

quote:
Lookin' mighty fine!

My oh my. This literally gave me flash backs. This is so cool!!!

Long Live I AM!

"Re(3):SEGAGAGAGAGA !!" , posted Sat 13 Jan 04:31post reply

quote:
Lookin' mighty fine!

hmm, I'm gonna get some of those USB ones finally. I really missed out the first time round. I hope they don't feel like crap!

"Saturn pad festival" , posted Thu 21 Mar 13:44post reply

Returning to the perennial topic: the Saturn pad is the best pad ever made for fighting games. If you disagree, you are wrong! The neverending quest to understand Sega's dedicated refusal to make piles of money on a reissued USB Saturn pad has been temporarily interrupted by the release of two Saturn-style pads within the same year: 8Bitdo's M30 pad and Retro-Bit's Saturn pad collaboration with Sega.

In a better world, there would actually be a dedicated article from fighting game people on Shoryuken, but in the actual world, they're barely around and only post youtube videos. So I'm counting on YOU, the wise world warriors of the Cafe, to let me know.

My Horii Fighting Commander is...pretty good, but a true Saturn directional pad would be unbeatable. I have concerns about both of these: 8Bitdo's pad is halfway between a Mega Drive and Saturn controller. I don't think the Mega Drive directional pad is actually very good. And Retro-Bit were among the many companies flooding Amazon with half-assed Saturn-style pads for years, so I'm not quite sure how the Sega collaboration actually improves the quality. I would be REALLY interested to hear impressions from anyone who tests these out.

neo0r0chiaku
473th Post

PSN: ShikyohMukuro
STM: N/A
Gold Customer

"Re(1):Saturn pad festival" , posted Thu 21 Mar 21:59:post reply

quote:
Returning to the perennial topic: the Saturn pad is the best pad ever made for fighting games. If you disagree, you are wrong! The neverending quest to understand Sega's dedicated refusal to make piles of money on a reissued USB Saturn pad has been temporarily interrupted by the release of two Saturn-style pads within the same year: 8Bitdo's M30 pad and Retro-Bit's Saturn pad collaboration with Sega.

In a better world, there would actually be a dedicated article from fighting game people on Shoryuken, but in the actual world, they're barely around and only post youtube videos. So I'm counting on YOU, the wise world warriors of the Cafe, to let me know.

My Horii Fighting Commander is...pretty good, but a true Saturn directional pad would be unbeatable. I have concerns about both of these: 8Bitdo's pad is halfway between a Mega Drive and Saturn controller. I don't think the Mega Drive directional pad is actually very good. And Retro-Bit were among the many companies flooding Amazon with half-assed Saturn-style pads for years, so I'm not quite sure how the Sega collaboration actually improves the quality. I would be REALLY interested to hear impressions from anyone who tests these out.

I ordered both versions of thr RetroBit models and need to pick it up. I really dont have any fighting games to test on cpu. It doesn't say it works on PS4 so that's not going to help. But once I find so etching to test will post my thought.

Long Live I AM!

[this message was edited by neo0r0chiaku on Thu 21 Mar 22:01]

"Re(2):Saturn pad festival" , posted Sun 7 Apr 13:10post reply

quote:
I ordered both versions of thr RetroBit models and need to pick it up. I really dont have any fighting games to test on cpu. It doesn't say it works on PS4 so that's not going to help. But once I find so etching to test will post my thought.
I meant to say that I'm really looking forward to your comments! You must take one for the team and buy a Street Fighter game on Steam and then perform 720s non-stop until you can give a definitive review of the d-pad.

I also wonder if people have a favorite Super Famicom USB pad. Supposedly, the i-Buffalo I own is the best, but the d-pad is JUNK JUNK JUNK. I hear 8Bitdo's version is too small.

Professor
5622th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Saturn pad festival" , posted Sun 7 Apr 18:54:post reply

quote:

Looking forward to hearing your report!
Most fighting game titles for the PS4 have a workaround support for generic/legacy USB controllers including Skullgirls, KOF14, SFV, and the GGXrd series. So your newly acquired pad should work for them-- just follow the instructions that appear when you try to enable legacy support in the game that you're playing.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 7 Apr 18:55]

neo0r0chiaku
478th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Saturn pad festival" , posted Mon 8 Apr 04:13post reply

quote:

Looking forward to hearing your report!
Most fighting game titles for the PS4 have a workaround support for generic/legacy USB controllers including Skullgirls, KOF14, SFV, and the GGXrd series. So your newly acquired pad should work for them-- just follow the instructions that appear when you try to enable legacy support in the game that you're playing.

Well I had thought I ordered an in stock bundle of the pads from castlemania games. Now that I see its a preorder, I haven't recieved it yet and not sure when. Sure it's wierd. Once I get them will test and post review.

Long Live I AM!

"Re(4):Saturn pad festival" , posted Sat 13 Apr 12:21:post reply

I'm looking forward to neoorochiaku's Retrobit report! They had better not suck!

Meanwhile, to ensure that MMCafe remains the source of record for 32-bit AND 16-bit controller designs in USB, I'm reporting that 8bitdo's SF30 take on a SFC controller is good so far. Maybe my Buffalo SFC controller was just a dud, but this 8bitdo actually has a working d-pad. As some reviews noted, the d-pad and buttons have a bit more of an arcade-like "punch" or "clicking" feeling than the original. I like the flat, thin cord (the style used for some phone jacks), which is easier to fold. Some UK review told me somewhere these controllers were physically smaller, but I don't know what the hell they were talking about.

It's kind of dumb that this particular one only works wirelessly with the SFC mini, with PCs on USB cords, but I see there's a different model that gets to PCs by bluetooth with varying degrees of success. It's sloppy that the connection pairing LED has to turn off by going to sleep rather than you doing it, but if you hide it in the closet after playing Fuurai No Shiren till 3am like any normal person, the light won't bother you as you attempt to sleep.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 13 Apr 12:23]

neo0r0chiaku
480th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Saturn pad festival" , posted Tue 16 Apr 09:13post reply

quote:
I'm looking forward to neoorochiaku's Retrobit report! They had better not suck!

Meanwhile, to ensure that MMCafe remains the source of record for 32-bit AND 16-bit controller designs in USB, I'm reporting that 8bitdo's SF30 take on a SFC controller is good so far. Maybe my Buffalo SFC controller was just a dud, but this 8bitdo actually has a working d-pad. As some reviews noted, the d-pad and buttons have a bit more of an arcade-like "punch" or "clicking" feeling than the original. I like the flat, thin cord (the style used for some phone jacks), which is easier to fold. Some UK review told me somewhere these controllers were physically smaller, but I don't know what the hell they were talking about.

It's kind of dumb that this particular one only works wirelessly with the SFC mini, with PCs on USB cords, but I see there's a different model that gets to PCs by bluetooth with varying degrees of success. It's sloppy that the connection pairing LED has to turn off by going to sleep rather than you doing it, but if you hide it in the closet after playing Fuurai No Shiren till 3am like any normal person, the light won't bother you as you attempt to sleep.

Got an update from Castlemania that they should be receiving them later this week and shipping them out by Saturday. Will see.
I can tell you that if I can use the controller on the Ps4, there are some games to truly test the pad. Like with KOF98, I knew there was a huge difference when using the Hori FC pad compared to my kinder years in the 90s. That's one game and others, I can compare with the the Saturn controller to see if it's the same smoothness like before.

Long Live I AM!

Rare Customer

"Re(6):Saturn pad festival" , posted Mon 29 Apr 23:06:post reply

Ehi I got one of those, it kinda works on KOFXIV on Steam, but L1 is mapped as menu button and start is not even recognized. This is a big no no as I map max activation on L1 or L2 on hori commander, anybody got a solution by any chance?

Edit: So you got to press start for 5 seconds before launching steam or any game I suppose, the controller will be then recognized as an xinput controller and all is gonna be well by then. Cheers!

[this message was edited by Fuu on Tue 30 Apr 17:20]

"Re(7):Saturn pad festival" , posted Wed 1 May 12:55post reply

Sweet! Next, you must join Orochiaku in reporting on how it goes. I still like my 8bitdo SFC controller pretty well, meanwhile.

neo0r0chiaku
488th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Saturn pad festival" , posted Sat 15 Jun 01:30post reply

quote:
Sweet! Next, you must join Orochiaku in reporting on how it goes. I still like my 8bitdo SFC controller pretty well, meanwhile.

Maou,
I have not forgot about you. Many things going on. But I have a short review. So.......after struggling to find a game that supports this controller, KOF XIV and Under Night were my victims. In short, this pad feel so light and small (not bulky). I mean I was amazed since I have not used this controller in so long. And it fell great and comfortable for me. Movement on the D-pad is great, smooth, and less rigid than my Hori FC. I mean its legit and perfect like it was before for fighting games. I think the only thing missing from the pad is the clicking noise on the shoulder buttons. I believe that was how it was on the original controller? Can anyone confirm? Maybe I was thinking of something else.

I would like to try it on other games but its very limited I presume. I hope Samurai Shodown will have it. I will definitely play that game and return to being active on the FG scene hopefully.

Maou, buy that controller. It great but not for those who are not used to small controllers. It is small compared to current generation controllers.

Long Live I AM!

"Re(9):orochiaku festival" , posted Sat 15 Jun 02:12:post reply

quote:
Movement on the D-pad is great, smooth, and less rigid than my Hori FC. I mean its legit and perfect like it was before for fighting games. I think the only thing missing from the pad is the clicking noise on the shoulder buttons.
Great stuff, man! Thanks a lot for this. That d-pad description is exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like Retrobit has made a Madcatz-like upgrade from the third party slums to the professional leagues. Let me know how it holds up---the reviews I've just read sound like there were serious quality control issues on the first batch even though the d-pad is perfect when working.

I'm ashamed to say that I can't quite recall the Saturn controller's shoulder buttons anymore, but I feel like I remember them being fairly shallow. The internet tells me that they don't click like the original, so I think you're right!

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 15 Jun 02:21]

neo0r0chiaku
502th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):orochiaku festival" , posted Mon 15 Jul 13:54post reply

quote:
Movement on the D-pad is great, smooth, and less rigid than my Hori FC. I mean its legit and perfect like it was before for fighting games. I think the only thing missing from the pad is the clicking noise on the shoulder buttons. Great stuff, man! Thanks a lot for this. That d-pad description is exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like Retrobit has made a Madcatz-like upgrade from the third party slums to the professional leagues. Let me know how it holds up---the reviews I've just read sound like there were serious quality control issues on the first batch even though the d-pad is perfect when working.

I'm ashamed to say that I can't quite recall the Saturn controller's shoulder buttons anymore, but I feel like I remember them being fairly shallow. The internet tells me that they don't click like the original, so I think you're right!

Happy to announce it works on Soul Calibur 6. Which was pretty cool but different. Maybe because of all the flashy stuff in the game that I am not used to. I still living in era Soul Calibur 2 prospective.

Long Live I AM!

Rare Customer

"Re(8):Saturn pad festival" , posted Tue 24 Dec 04:40:post reply

quote:

ehi! I thought about this thread the other day. Sadly for reasons I haven't had the serenity to play fighting games for a long time, but I have been captivated by the recent SFV update. I was looking forward to post my impressions of the pad at long last, but the reality is that it broke after 3 days of SFV training mode, maybe 5 hours. The directional pad has a little plastic cross inside and one wing broke, and I mean that doesn't really look solid enough for fighters anyway.
I dunno, I do have scary strangler hands but really? Alternatively, Retro-Bit saved me the heartache of another brief flirt with SFV online, in which case many thanks good sirs.

[this message was edited by Fuu on Tue 24 Dec 04:43]