Wild Guns Reloaded is out!.... for $39.99 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1895 Views )

user profileedit/delete message
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Wild Guns Reloaded is out!.... for $39.99" , posted Sun 25 Dec 04:04post reply

I feel somewhat conflicted given the holiday buying spree I've already been on (FFXV + TLG alone has been $160, and that's not all I've bought!), but the price is actually giving me pause and I feel bad about that, because I did enjoy the original Wild Guns!

Has anybody here gotten it yet?

Professor, does it live up to your expectations?

Replies:

PSN: Toxic-Baron
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: n/a

"Re(1):Wild Guns Reloaded is out!.... for $39." , posted Sun 25 Dec 09:09post reply

I keep hearing praise for this, and I'm obviously going for the disk release which is going to arrive in a month to my local stores, so this is not an immediate spendure for me (sadly).

Currently with no online multiplayer (according to the director it might get patched in later, specially if they port this to other plataforms), grabbing the disk for this one and taking it to a friend's place is the right way to do stuff.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(1):Wild Guns Reloaded is out!.... for $39." , posted Sun 25 Dec 12:16post reply

I have it, and I love it. Love the enhancements, love the new characters, love the new stages. The only thing I'm a little lukewarm on is the music arrangement, but apparently you can unlock the original sound mode if you beat the game without continuing.

The new stages are especially lovely. They could have just slapped some existing enemies into them and called it a day, but they went out of their way to make all new enemies just for the new stages, many of which are even more creative than the ones from the original game. I think my favorite ones are

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
the couriers riding atop penny-farthing bicycles which fly in the air held aloft by a dozen multi-colored balloons, which can be dispatched by shooting the balloons down one by one.

End of Spoiler

It feels like the same game it always was, which is quite an accomplishment considering it's definitely not the same game. I think it might be my favorite "retro" remake ever.

Micky Kusanagi
541th Post

PSN: MickyKusanagi
CFN: MickyKusanagi
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Wild Guns Reloaded is out!.... for $39." , posted Sun 25 Dec 17:59post reply

Spoon, it's 1800¥ (15.34$) in the JP store in case you're interested. Don't know of any possible differences between the two versions, but I think it's just harsh pricing in your region, since I saw it for 29$ in the US store and Play-Asia has the US physical version -slated in stock on Dec. 28th- for the same price. Downloading it right now.

Ore no...kachi da!!
Professor
5063th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Wild Guns Reloaded is out!.... for $39." , posted Wed 28 Dec 02:24:post reply

quote:
I feel somewhat conflicted given the holiday buying spree I've already been on (FFXV + TLG alone has been $160, and that's not all I've bought!), but the price is actually giving me pause and I feel bad about that, because I did enjoy the original Wild Guns!

Has anybody here gotten it yet?

Professor, does it live up to your expectations?

After a very intense year-end crunch time I finally picked up the game to wind down and relax and beat easy mode on a single go... ...or so that's what I thought I'd be doing. Boy was I wrong.

First off, the game is an awesome remake of the original Wild Guns! If you had fun with it on the SFC, you're certainly going to have fun with this remake. It totally looks 16 bit but there's been some new additions to spice up gameplay. New boss attacks, new items, characters that are totally different in gameplay and control from the two original protagonists, huge money bags, and .. er... 1000 dollar bills! I totally forgot this game is supposed to be in the future. Nice addition.

I played the original Wild Guns so much on the SFC that I could easily beat hard mode with no continuing. I was thinking that it'd be a breeze to beat through Reloaded on a single try in easy mode, but oh joy. The possiblity didn't even dawn on me that I'd have troubles beating even the first stage on the first try. Leaving aside some enemies appearing from new points (with newly drawn sprites too, nice), the Lasso doesn't stop mid-boss and bosses like it used to, which jolts the difficulty level far higher than the SFC original. It's certainly a new challenge, even if you practically wore off your thumbprints playing the game in the 90s.

The bosses in the original were pretty easy if you knew how to time your Lassos, but in Reloaded they wear out really quickly and they don't even stop the bosses- they just slow them down a little bit.

I haven't tried out the new air stage yet, but the halloween stage has some funny enemies and even the melee thugs are drawn anew.

Likewise to Gojira I can't say I love the new arranged tracks, but it's mostly the first stage that sounds a bit off. The other stages didn't give me as much issue, but Carson City's track is so memorable that hearing it with even a slightly different tune from the original makes it seem off.

All in all, it was certainly worth the 1800jpy.
(That said, if it were 3900 jpy/$39 though, I'd hesitate since that's only a thousand yen or so from Persona 5 and other fully-featured titles.)

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 28 Dec 04:51]

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(2):Wild Guns Reloaded is out!.... for $39." , posted Wed 28 Dec 03:40post reply

quote:
After a very intense year-end crunch time I finally picked up the game to wind down and relax and beat easy mode on a single go...
...or so that's what I thought when I picked up the game, considering I played that thing so many times on the SFC that I could beat hardmode with no continues.
Boy was I wrong.

Good, I thought it was just me. In some places the lasso still works (such as the crawling gentleman mid-boss) and in others it's pretty ineffective. It had been so long since I played the original I couldn't remember if this was new or not, but it was definitely throwing me off for a while.

Also I think the change to widescreen is a huge factor in the difficulty now. It takes much longer to get your aim from one side to another. The crosshair movement is a bit sped up but that can also be a disadvantage when you're trying to aim at smaller enemies and a little tap on the d-pad takes you right over them.

Overall though, once you get used to the new patterns and mechanics the game gets easier again.

BTW I unlocked retro sound mode, and

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
not only does it change the voice samples back to the original ones IT EVEN AFFECTS THE NEW STAGE MUSIC. The music that was never even in the original SF game has a 16-bit arrangement. The dedication behind this game is a thing of beauty.

End of Spoiler

Micky Kusanagi
548th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Wild Guns Reloaded is out!.... for $39." , posted Wed 28 Dec 04:56post reply

Random impressions from me...if you guys still are willing to read my Cafe posts after I reveal I had never played the original Wild Guns xD

I can breeze through the first two acts of the first stage in easy mode, the boss is a desperate struggle to me now but I feel I'm learning the ropes try after try, and I'm barely playing WGR 10-15 minutes a day. If you're focused, performance improvements just come natural. I must try Bullet and Doris before I get used to Clint to the point I can't appreciate their playstyles -I seem to play better with Clint than Annie.

This game is one of the purest instances of time travel we can get as of now. Even though it's 16:9, the resolution and color palette were increased and the soundtrack was rearranged, the old school feel is fully, wonderfully preserved.

Its system is simple yet full fledged, you feel its mechanics don't lack anything when playing, which isn't the norm nowadays, when a game can be full of mechanics and still feels boring and incomplete.

The graphics feel like an artisan's masterpiece, stages are so rich and detailed I'll have to abuse the screenshot feature to fully appreciate them because pausing the game brutally darkens the screen.

I won't talk about the music because I'll need to listen to the original SFC soundtrack a thousand times first, so that I fully understand its original form and don't say blasphemy about it -I don't like at all some of the soundfonts used in the SFC original, so the risk of saying something really stupid is high-, but the game over jingle...!!! I almost don't get angry after getting destroyed by the first boss's huge attacks, thanks to this gorgeous little tune.

Wild Guns Reloaded is Western sci-fi poetry.

Ore no...kachi da!!

PSN: Toxic-Baron
CFN: n/a

"Re(3):Wild Guns Reloaded is out!.... for $39." , posted Wed 11 Jan 04:46:post reply

Finally got my greasy zamasu hands on a hard copy of the game (it actually arrived 20 days earlier than expected, which is now messing my gaming schedule), I had no prior experience at being any good at the original, so right now I'm on the NES training style of getting used at the game the hard way by resetting and retrying the first stage while getting used to the system and placement. The fact that I can't yet identify the sound some enemies make when they shot is getting me jinxed quite often.

It took me a while to understand that there are actually differences between Annie and Clint. Oh, and I love the new huge looks of the first boss, might be my favourite of the game. That aside, Volume is too low and having a free button which could be used for something better (like the lasso?) is slightly annoying at first.

BTW, I used to think that the original was an arcade game, because my local arcade had it and it saw play all the time. It was like last year or so that I finally learned about this never being on a board, so the arcade probably had one of those modded SNES that press start x times every time one throws a credit allowing for a somewhat arcade experience---- BTW, At the time I used to look at the game as an easy cinematic experience more than anything, since it wasn't hard like NAM or Cabal, basically everyon 1cc-ed the game (there were even guys that couldn't clear anything else in the arcade); and the lasso was so strong that I basically never saw any boss doing any attack ever (that's also giving me surprises here, since every boss is like new).

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 11 Jan 04:58]

Micky Kusanagi
580th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Wild Guns Reloaded is out!.... for $39." , posted Sun 15 Jan 18:27post reply

I'd like to spend a couple words on the "LOOK OUT!" mechanic: it's one of the most clever things I've ever seen in a video game. If Natsume were an industry juggernaut, I'm sure they would file a patent for it.

Ore no...kachi da!!