BBS Thread: megalometa discussion - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2463 Views )

Spoon
3208th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"BBS Thread: megalometa discussion" , posted Mon 18 Jan 10:29post reply

Given that the Professor is making changes to the site's functionality, I think it'd be good to separate discussion about the site itself from the other random thread so that we can consolidate this discussion. The extent of the site additions are also kind of exceeding the topic suggested by the old "is making the font bigger" post.

We might want to think about how to integrate the news posts with forums posts. I think that so far, every news item posted by the Professor has been discussion-worthy (mainly because the posts are curated by a person who shares our particular interests, namely, the Professor), but having all the discussion of those items tossed into the Random Thread makes the Random Thread even more scatter brained while also possibly inflating it quickly. Making a new forum post for every instance of a new news post might result in topic inflation... but at least it guarantees us an on-topic spot to discuss a given news item. Some of the news items best fit into a one of the existing topics (e.g. basically anything SNK), while others do not (e.g. the JeSPA post).

Replies:

Professor
4739th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):BBS Thread: megalometa discussion" , posted Tue 19 Jan 22:25post reply

quote:
Given that the Professor is making changes to the site's functionality, I think it'd be good to separate discussion about the site itself from the other random thread so that we can consolidate this discussion. The extent of the site additions are also kind of exceeding the topic suggested by the old "is making the font bigger" post.

We might want to think about how to integrate the news posts with forums posts. I think that so far, every news item posted by the Professor has been discussion-worthy (mainly because the posts are curated by a person who shares our particular interests, namely, the Professor), but having all the discussion of those items tossed into the Random Thread makes the Random Thread even more scatter brained while also possibly inflating it quickly. Making a new forum post for every instance of a new news post might result in topic inflation... but at least it guarantees us an on-topic spot to discuss a given news item. Some of the news items best fit into a one of the existing topics (e.g. basically anything SNK), while others do not (e.g. the JeSPA post).

Good idea-- also, I can certainly make a new thread when something seems like a hot topic!

Maou
3044th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

"Re(2):BBS Thread: megalometa discussion" , posted Wed 20 Jan 10:32post reply

quote:

Good idea-- also, I can certainly make a new thread when something seems like a hot topic!

Yeah, it's a challenge organizing different streams of information. I think we're most of the way there: casual visitors will see the new news on the front page, while at the BBS we'll know there's news thanks to the new article previous on the BBS index. It's great that there's no comments section on the articles, since that fragments conversation, so the only challenge left is for how to incorporate the new news into comments here... I used to be anti-Random Thread, but now I'm not sure. Wherever news ends up, it'll be great to see its links inside of threads too, to give us an excuse to talk about it after reading it!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Spoon
3209th Post

"Re(3):BBS Thread: megalometa discussion" , posted Thu 21 Jan 08:03post reply

quote:

Yeah, it's a challenge organizing different streams of information. I think we're most of the way there: casual visitors will see the new news on the front page, while at the BBS we'll know there's news thanks to the new article previous on the BBS index. It's great that there's

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

The simple solution is to have a link to the relevant discussion thread in the news post instead of a wholly separate comments pane. It's probably less work for Professor this way while maintaining the coherency of the cafe.

A much crazier approach would be to have a comments pane that is just populated with the contents of the discussion thread it is linked to, but given the sheer length of some discussion threads and other things I really don't think it'd be worth the effort.

neo0r0chiaku
109th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1

Regular Customer

"Re(2):BBS Thread: megalometa discussion" , posted Sat 23 Jan 05:38post reply

quote:

Can I make a suggestion? How about we create a thread with reviews of games from café members? It can be posted on any thread with that subject matter and then it can be copied into the "review thread". Therefore, our visitors can go directly to that thread to read up on our very detailed and amazing reviews of games or even any other items that we love.

Long Live!

Professor
4743th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):BBS Thread: megalometa discussion" , posted Mon 25 Jan 03:05post reply

A thread where members can backup/archive their reviews sounds just fine! The random threads get too much love and their speed of bloating up can be pretty fast, lol.

Loona
979th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):BBS Thread: megalometa discussion" , posted Mon 25 Jan 18:41post reply

quote:
A thread where members can backup/archive their reviews sounds just fine! The random threads get too much love and their speed of bloating up can be pretty fast, lol.

Considering those posts are already accessible through direct links regardless of their age, in a way they're already archived - at most, setting a thread aside to post links to favorite posts from the BBS's history could be interesting, and maybe those could get the kind of highlighting this one did, if not an invitation for an expanded version with screenshots and the works, if the plans for the site lean in that direction.

...!!