Are BBS texts too small? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1140 Views )

Professor
4712th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 5 Jan 20:12post reply

This is something that's been bugging me for a while-- are the text settings on the BBS too small? Their settings haven't been tweaked for the modern era and higher resolutions, so I'm interested in hearing inputs from members.

Replies:

TheRedKnight
450th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 5 Jan 21:25post reply

quote:
This is something that's been bugging me for a while-- are the text settings on the BBS too small? Their settings haven't been tweaked for the modern era and higher resolutions, so I'm interested in hearing inputs from members.

I regret to say this, but yes they are.

videograpple.tumblr.com/

Loona
968th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 5 Jan 21:54post reply

quote:

The font size never bothered me, but if it increased about a point, I guess it'd be easier not to get lost in longer paragraphs if your attention is broken for some reason and you have to try and find were you left off to resume reading.

...!!

Shindekudasai
429th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 5 Jan 22:40post reply

Could help for mobile devices, half the time now I check this on the road from my phone. Thanks for checking!

Ishmael
5355th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 00:49post reply

Honestly, bumping it up a point or two wouldn't hurt.

Maou
3024th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"Re(4):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 00:52post reply

Hmm, display settings are tough because of the variety of possible user configurations. I like things as they are---big fonts on HTML 5-looking sites result in a frustrating amount of scrolling even to read something short.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Iggy
10089th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(5):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 02:35post reply

On screen, I think it's fine (and you can always increase the font manually if you're on a smaller configuration).
On mobile, however, it's at the same time a bit small... but also scrolling through long pages takes a lot of time, so increasing the font might make it even worse.

I don't remember what was the conclusion last time we talked about it, but it's definitely not possible to force threads to break down into several pages of say 50 posts per page?

Gojira
3167th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(6):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 04:49post reply

It's never bothered me, but it is hard to navigate on mobile devices sometimes.

Even if I ever do find it small on my regular PC I can just ctrl+mouse wheel to make it bigger. But I don't really have that option on mobile.

Professor
4715th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 07:58post reply

Just out of testing, how's this?

chazumaru
1619th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 08:01:post reply

I am not sure if it's the board which is getting dangerously old, or rather the board members and our eyesight is dropping consequently... So I vote we blame technology rather than ourselves and bump up the font size.

This (currently testing) one is fine.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 6 Jan 08:01]

Iggy
10090th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P - IGGY ARI !

"Re(2):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 08:54post reply

quote:

I'm worried... I don't see the difference...
Maybe Chaz is right.

Maou
3026th Post

"Re(3):Are BBS Iggys too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 09:08:post reply

quote:

I'm worried... I don't see the difference...
Maybe Chaz is right.

At first, I was looking forward to being crazy together because it was the same for me, then I realized that default text display levels are massively different across browsers these days, making it hard to standardize in addition to the variance across users' computer setups. Here's a screenshot comparison running on Windows 10. Left: Firefox (god, it sucks on Windows 10); Center: Internet Explorer (ahahaha); Right: Microsoft Edge (ahahahahahahaha). Firefox looks best, Explorer is weirdly big, Edge is quite small. Hmm!

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 6 Jan 09:11]

Maese
792th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 10:11post reply

quote:

I actually fail to see the difference as well...

Anyway, I almost always check the Cafe from a computer, so the present font size does not bother me too much. However, I admit that whenever I've tried to browse it from a mobile device, I've found it a tad difficult to read. Then again, on smart devices it's easy to zoom in until you get a more comfortable text size, so I'm not sure if tweaking one of the Cafe's most characteristic features is actually worth the pain. The Cafe would not feel the same without its font style and size!

Ishmael
5358th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 10:32post reply

Maou's right, the text on Explorer is flirting with being a large print book. Hmm, perhaps this is something that should wait until a more elegant and consistent solution can be found?

Gojira
3168th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(4):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 13:18post reply

Hmm, when I checked earlier after "how's this" the text was no different but now that I've gone out and come back the text is now indeed larger in Firefox. If there were no changes, perhaps there was a caching issue that prevented font sizes from changing? So if you're seeing no change then maybe you need to restart your browser.

Professor
4717th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 19:37:post reply

Humm ok, I'll leave it as it previously was for now and maybe implement a customizable thing later.

Iggy--- I really wish I could add a paginate feature, but it's going to take some massive programming changes and I'm quite worried of what may happen when there's glitches. It's a bit old-school, but please don't hesitate from making new threads whenever you feel like it.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 6 Jan 19:46]

Iggy
10091th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(7):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 20:18post reply

quote:
Iggy--- I really wish I could add a paginate feature, but it's going to take some massive programming changes and I'm quite worried of what may happen when there's glitches. It's a bit old-school, but please don't hesitate from making new threads whenever you feel like it.

OK, I'll make a new SaGa thread each time the previous one reaches 200 replies!

Professor
4727th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Experimental update on BBS Index" , posted Tue 12 Jan 17:14:post reply

As it's obvious, there's a new experimental banner on the index of the BBS.
I'm not sure about it (it might be annoying, heavier on load, etc) so please leave your inputs here.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 12 Jan 18:23]

Loona
974th Post

"Re(1):Experimental update on BBS Index" , posted Tue 12 Jan 20:06:post reply

quote:
As it's obvious, there's a new experimental banner on the index of the BBS.
I'm not sure about it (it might be annoying, heavier on load, etc) so please leave your inputs here.

The ones with the news items and articles, like the references to the Zangief cosplayer, the Art Eater Indivisible article and others?

When I click those I'm sent to the main MMC version of the BBS index, not to any particular article or post. Maybe it's still an early implementation test?

It would be nice if there were a way to tell which are the most recent, for a when there are eventually more of them and they take up the whole header instead of leaning toward the right side. I'm viewing this on IE11 right now, for what it's worth.

Edit: Nevermind - the articles are under the BBS index. It's just that I tend to keep browser windows sort of minimized, so I couldn't see all of the page. The BBS section still takes a pretty big chunk there IMO.

Edit 2: you might want to tweak the link on that SNKP licensing article.

...!!

[this message was edited by Loona on Tue 12 Jan 20:13]

Professor
4728th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Experimental update on BBS Index" , posted Tue 12 Jan 20:12:post reply

quote:
When I click those I'm sent to the main MMC version of the BBS index, not to any particular article or post. Maybe it's still an early implementation test?

[edit] gotcha thx!

Given that most BBS users visit frequently enough, I'm keeping the icons at 6 pieces for the time bing.
I tried placing them all the way across the screen but it felt a bit annoying.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 12 Jan 20:19]

Loona
974th Post

"Re(3):Experimental update on BBS Index" , posted Tue 12 Jan 20:48post reply

quote:
Given that most BBS users visit frequently enough, I'm keeping the icons at 6 pieces for the time bing.

Fair enough. I'm looking forward to see the changes reflecting on the main MMC page, as for now the path to news is Main -> BBS -> one of the 6 news items at the top. I only realized today that there was one about that Galford inclusion in Lost Saga.

I still feel the BBS should probably take less vertical space or be under the actual news items to make them quicker to find. If some entries are based on BBS posts, it should be simple enough for visitors to find it.

...!!

Maou
3036th Post

"Re(4):Experimental update on BBS Index" , posted Wed 13 Jan 00:52:post reply

BBS Index icons: tough one! I guess they could be sort of distracting, but on the other hand, they solve the problem of missing MMC front page updates if you go direct to the BBS....unless of course new articles are discussed in a news thread on the BBS. What do others think?

Icons load fairly quickly for me on IE 11, Edge, Firefox 43.

As we talked about, I am stoked for new Cafe articles, as well as the nice front page site tool updates.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 13 Jan 00:54]

Doshin
86th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 13 Jan 10:12post reply

Honestly, I'm less worried about the text size and more worried about how resource-heavy loading a thread is. It takes a good amount of processing time on my end. Granted, I've got a bit of a toaster for a machine right now, but it's even a bit noticable on my other younger machine.

Maese
796th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Experimental update on BBS Index" , posted Wed 13 Jan 10:44post reply

quote:

[edit] gotcha thx!

I like the icon links quite a bit, and I like it even better to see that the legendary MMCafe is kicking back again as a news site (sort of)! May I just suggest one little tweak? Instead of showing just the icons, would it be possible to include a brief headline below each pic to see at first glance what the article is about? I know the headline appears when you move the cursor over the image, but perhaps having an actual subtitle or footnote would make things easier to understand. As it is now, I think it could be a tad confusing. I for one, when I saw those 6 icons hanging above the board, I kind of freaked out; I didn't quite know what were they supposed to mean. Just my 2 cents, though!

A Talking about Japanese History sword in hand

Professor
4728th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 13 Jan 15:36post reply

Quick replies:

Doshin-- yeah the threads take some power to render when they get bigger. I think it's best to start a new one after around 200 replies. For the same reason they won't carry the icons; it's only on the index.

Maese-- They originally had text at the bottom! I was tinkering around and decided to take it away because it seem to made the top part look too different from before, I'll keep in consideration about bringigng it back, thx. It only takes a line or two to do it, the code's already there.

Professor
4738th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Mon 18 Jan 17:45:post reply

I've added a feature on the top-right side to change fontsize on the BBS. Let me know if there's any issues.

Note: It doesn't reflect on the posting preview pane for now.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 18 Jan 17:49]

Lord SNK
102th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 19 Jan 05:51post reply

quote:
I've added a feature on the top-right side to change fontsize on the BBS. Let me know if there's any issues.

I'm on Chrome, I don't see it... ?

Professor
4738th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 19 Jan 09:29post reply

quote:

Try checking from the bbs index-- http://www.mmcafe.com/bbs

neo0r0chiaku
107th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 19 Jan 22:08post reply

quote:

I see it and tried it.
Works good on my end (using IE for now).

Long Live!

Lord SNK
103th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 20 Jan 04:21post reply

quote:

Found it :P
It works good!

chazumaru
1625th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 26 Jan 22:11post reply

It works very well. Pretty cool feature, thanks.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Professor
4892th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Need help on checking tierchart maker" , posted Wed 22 Jun 20:13post reply

I've worked on mobile compatibility for the tiermaker so that its basic functions will work on smartphones. (some of its customize features are sort of wonky but I'll leave it as for the time being).

Right now it's only available for KOF14, Xrd Revelator and SFV.
If people can try it out and see if there's any bugs I'd greatly appreciate it.

Known issue:
On iPhone, touching the left-most icon might sometimes cause an issue because the iOS will try to swipe back to the previous page. There's nothing I can do about it at the current time, I think.

Maou
3167th Post

STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(1):Need help on checking tierchart maker" , posted Wed 22 Jun 23:13post reply

Thanks, Prof! I made this magnificent (ridiculous) SFV tier chart on an old iphone with mostly no problem. Only issue was that I accidentally threw Balrog off the bottom right corner behind the URL box and can't seem to click to retrieve him. This is not too big a deal since I've yet to see a single person use him...

Professor
4894th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Need help on checking tierchart maker" , posted Wed 22 Jun 23:36post reply

quote:
Thanks, Prof! I made this magnificent (ridiculous) SFV tier chart on an old iphone with mostly no problem. Only issue was that I accidentally threw Balrog off the bottom right corner behind the URL box and can't seem to click to retrieve him. This is not too big a deal since I've yet to see a single person use him...

Fixed it, thanks!

Micky Kusanagi
281th Post

PSN: MickyKusanagi
CFN: MickyKusanagi
Copper Customer

"Re(3):Need help on checking tierchart maker" , posted Tue 28 Jun 18:24post reply

I purposely tried and launched a few portraits over the top of the screen on my iOS7 iPhone 4 -Safari browser-, and there's no way to recover them, but this happens on a computer too. Is there anything specific you wanna know about tier charts on mobile, Prof? I'd try it as soon as I can.

Ore no...kachi da!!
(hopefully) 2 days to fiber...
Professor
4913th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Need help on checking tierchart maker" , posted Tue 28 Jun 19:12post reply

quote:
I purposely tried and launched a few portraits over the top of the screen on my iOS7 iPhone 4 -Safari browser-, and there's no way to recover them, but this happens on a computer too. Is there anything specific you wanna know about tier charts on mobile, Prof? I'd try it as soon as I can.

Ahh yeah, that's been on the adgenda for a while too.. Fixed that! As long as the tier chart is moving on iphone 4, that's good thanks!

Micky Kusanagi
282th Post

PSN: MickyKusanagi
CFN: MickyKusanagi
Copper Customer

"Re(5):Need help on checking tierchart maker" , posted Tue 28 Jun 19:59post reply

You're welcome, thank you for fixing it. I also appreciate your will to improve BBS usability on mobile devices ^^

Ore no...kachi da!!
(hopefully) 2 days to fiber...