Are BBS texts too small? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (6311 Views )

Professor
4712th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 5 Jan 20:12post reply

This is something that's been bugging me for a while-- are the text settings on the BBS too small? Their settings haven't been tweaked for the modern era and higher resolutions, so I'm interested in hearing inputs from members.

Replies:

TheRedKnight
450th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 5 Jan 21:25post reply

quote:
This is something that's been bugging me for a while-- are the text settings on the BBS too small? Their settings haven't been tweaked for the modern era and higher resolutions, so I'm interested in hearing inputs from members.

I regret to say this, but yes they are.

videograpple.tumblr.com/

Loona
968th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 5 Jan 21:54post reply

quote:

The font size never bothered me, but if it increased about a point, I guess it'd be easier not to get lost in longer paragraphs if your attention is broken for some reason and you have to try and find were you left off to resume reading.

...!!

Shindekudasai
429th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 5 Jan 22:40post reply

Could help for mobile devices, half the time now I check this on the road from my phone. Thanks for checking!

Ishmael
5355th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 00:49post reply

Honestly, bumping it up a point or two wouldn't hurt.

Maou
3024th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"Re(4):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 00:52post reply

Hmm, display settings are tough because of the variety of possible user configurations. I like things as they are---big fonts on HTML 5-looking sites result in a frustrating amount of scrolling even to read something short.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Iggy
10089th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(5):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 02:35post reply

On screen, I think it's fine (and you can always increase the font manually if you're on a smaller configuration).
On mobile, however, it's at the same time a bit small... but also scrolling through long pages takes a lot of time, so increasing the font might make it even worse.

I don't remember what was the conclusion last time we talked about it, but it's definitely not possible to force threads to break down into several pages of say 50 posts per page?

Gojira
3167th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(6):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 04:49post reply

It's never bothered me, but it is hard to navigate on mobile devices sometimes.

Even if I ever do find it small on my regular PC I can just ctrl+mouse wheel to make it bigger. But I don't really have that option on mobile.

Professor
4715th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 07:58post reply

Just out of testing, how's this?

chazumaru
1619th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 08:01:post reply

I am not sure if it's the board which is getting dangerously old, or rather the board members and our eyesight is dropping consequently... So I vote we blame technology rather than ourselves and bump up the font size.

This (currently testing) one is fine.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 6 Jan 08:01]

Iggy
10090th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P - IGGY ARI !

"Re(2):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 08:54post reply

quote:

I'm worried... I don't see the difference...
Maybe Chaz is right.

Maou
3026th Post

"Re(3):Are BBS Iggys too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 09:08:post reply

quote:

I'm worried... I don't see the difference...
Maybe Chaz is right.

At first, I was looking forward to being crazy together because it was the same for me, then I realized that default text display levels are massively different across browsers these days, making it hard to standardize in addition to the variance across users' computer setups. Here's a screenshot comparison running on Windows 10. Left: Firefox (god, it sucks on Windows 10); Center: Internet Explorer (ahahaha); Right: Microsoft Edge (ahahahahahahaha). Firefox looks best, Explorer is weirdly big, Edge is quite small. Hmm!

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 6 Jan 09:11]

Maese
792th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 10:11post reply

quote:

I actually fail to see the difference as well...

Anyway, I almost always check the Cafe from a computer, so the present font size does not bother me too much. However, I admit that whenever I've tried to browse it from a mobile device, I've found it a tad difficult to read. Then again, on smart devices it's easy to zoom in until you get a more comfortable text size, so I'm not sure if tweaking one of the Cafe's most characteristic features is actually worth the pain. The Cafe would not feel the same without its font style and size!

Ishmael
5358th Post

"Re(3):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 10:32post reply

Maou's right, the text on Explorer is flirting with being a large print book. Hmm, perhaps this is something that should wait until a more elegant and consistent solution can be found?

Gojira
3168th Post

"Re(4):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 13:18post reply

Hmm, when I checked earlier after "how's this" the text was no different but now that I've gone out and come back the text is now indeed larger in Firefox. If there were no changes, perhaps there was a caching issue that prevented font sizes from changing? So if you're seeing no change then maybe you need to restart your browser.

Professor
4717th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 19:37:post reply

Humm ok, I'll leave it as it previously was for now and maybe implement a customizable thing later.

Iggy--- I really wish I could add a paginate feature, but it's going to take some massive programming changes and I'm quite worried of what may happen when there's glitches. It's a bit old-school, but please don't hesitate from making new threads whenever you feel like it.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 6 Jan 19:46]

Iggy
10091th Post

"Re(7):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 6 Jan 20:18post reply

quote:
Iggy--- I really wish I could add a paginate feature, but it's going to take some massive programming changes and I'm quite worried of what may happen when there's glitches. It's a bit old-school, but please don't hesitate from making new threads whenever you feel like it.

OK, I'll make a new SaGa thread each time the previous one reaches 200 replies!

Professor
4727th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Experimental update on BBS Index" , posted Tue 12 Jan 17:14:post reply

As it's obvious, there's a new experimental banner on the index of the BBS.
I'm not sure about it (it might be annoying, heavier on load, etc) so please leave your inputs here.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 12 Jan 18:23]

Loona
974th Post

"Re(1):Experimental update on BBS Index" , posted Tue 12 Jan 20:06:post reply

quote:
As it's obvious, there's a new experimental banner on the index of the BBS.
I'm not sure about it (it might be annoying, heavier on load, etc) so please leave your inputs here.

The ones with the news items and articles, like the references to the Zangief cosplayer, the Art Eater Indivisible article and others?

When I click those I'm sent to the main MMC version of the BBS index, not to any particular article or post. Maybe it's still an early implementation test?

It would be nice if there were a way to tell which are the most recent, for a when there are eventually more of them and they take up the whole header instead of leaning toward the right side. I'm viewing this on IE11 right now, for what it's worth.

Edit: Nevermind - the articles are under the BBS index. It's just that I tend to keep browser windows sort of minimized, so I couldn't see all of the page. The BBS section still takes a pretty big chunk there IMO.

Edit 2: you might want to tweak the link on that SNKP licensing article.

...!!

[this message was edited by Loona on Tue 12 Jan 20:13]

Professor
4728th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Experimental update on BBS Index" , posted Tue 12 Jan 20:12:post reply

quote:
When I click those I'm sent to the main MMC version of the BBS index, not to any particular article or post. Maybe it's still an early implementation test?

[edit] gotcha thx!

Given that most BBS users visit frequently enough, I'm keeping the icons at 6 pieces for the time bing.
I tried placing them all the way across the screen but it felt a bit annoying.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 12 Jan 20:19]

Loona
974th Post

"Re(3):Experimental update on BBS Index" , posted Tue 12 Jan 20:48post reply

quote:
Given that most BBS users visit frequently enough, I'm keeping the icons at 6 pieces for the time bing.

Fair enough. I'm looking forward to see the changes reflecting on the main MMC page, as for now the path to news is Main -> BBS -> one of the 6 news items at the top. I only realized today that there was one about that Galford inclusion in Lost Saga.

I still feel the BBS should probably take less vertical space or be under the actual news items to make them quicker to find. If some entries are based on BBS posts, it should be simple enough for visitors to find it.

...!!

Maou
3036th Post

"Re(4):Experimental update on BBS Index" , posted Wed 13 Jan 00:52:post reply

BBS Index icons: tough one! I guess they could be sort of distracting, but on the other hand, they solve the problem of missing MMC front page updates if you go direct to the BBS....unless of course new articles are discussed in a news thread on the BBS. What do others think?

Icons load fairly quickly for me on IE 11, Edge, Firefox 43.

As we talked about, I am stoked for new Cafe articles, as well as the nice front page site tool updates.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 13 Jan 00:54]

Doshin
86th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 13 Jan 10:12post reply

Honestly, I'm less worried about the text size and more worried about how resource-heavy loading a thread is. It takes a good amount of processing time on my end. Granted, I've got a bit of a toaster for a machine right now, but it's even a bit noticable on my other younger machine.

Maese
796th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Experimental update on BBS Index" , posted Wed 13 Jan 10:44post reply

quote:

[edit] gotcha thx!

I like the icon links quite a bit, and I like it even better to see that the legendary MMCafe is kicking back again as a news site (sort of)! May I just suggest one little tweak? Instead of showing just the icons, would it be possible to include a brief headline below each pic to see at first glance what the article is about? I know the headline appears when you move the cursor over the image, but perhaps having an actual subtitle or footnote would make things easier to understand. As it is now, I think it could be a tad confusing. I for one, when I saw those 6 icons hanging above the board, I kind of freaked out; I didn't quite know what were they supposed to mean. Just my 2 cents, though!

A Talking about Japanese History sword in hand

Professor
4728th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 13 Jan 15:36post reply

Quick replies:

Doshin-- yeah the threads take some power to render when they get bigger. I think it's best to start a new one after around 200 replies. For the same reason they won't carry the icons; it's only on the index.

Maese-- They originally had text at the bottom! I was tinkering around and decided to take it away because it seem to made the top part look too different from before, I'll keep in consideration about bringigng it back, thx. It only takes a line or two to do it, the code's already there.

Professor
4738th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Mon 18 Jan 17:45:post reply

I've added a feature on the top-right side to change fontsize on the BBS. Let me know if there's any issues.

Note: It doesn't reflect on the posting preview pane for now.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 18 Jan 17:49]

Lord SNK
102th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 19 Jan 05:51post reply

quote:
I've added a feature on the top-right side to change fontsize on the BBS. Let me know if there's any issues.

I'm on Chrome, I don't see it... ?

Professor
4738th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 19 Jan 09:29post reply

quote:

Try checking from the bbs index-- http://www.mmcafe.com/bbs

neo0r0chiaku
107th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 19 Jan 22:08post reply

quote:

I see it and tried it.
Works good on my end (using IE for now).

Long Live!

Lord SNK
103th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Wed 20 Jan 04:21post reply

quote:

Found it :P
It works good!

chazumaru
1625th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Are BBS texts too small?" , posted Tue 26 Jan 22:11post reply

It works very well. Pretty cool feature, thanks.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Professor
4892th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Need help on checking tierchart maker" , posted Wed 22 Jun 20:13post reply

I've worked on mobile compatibility for the tiermaker so that its basic functions will work on smartphones. (some of its customize features are sort of wonky but I'll leave it as for the time being).

Right now it's only available for KOF14, Xrd Revelator and SFV.
If people can try it out and see if there's any bugs I'd greatly appreciate it.

Known issue:
On iPhone, touching the left-most icon might sometimes cause an issue because the iOS will try to swipe back to the previous page. There's nothing I can do about it at the current time, I think.

Maou
3167th Post

STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(1):Need help on checking tierchart maker" , posted Wed 22 Jun 23:13post reply

Thanks, Prof! I made this magnificent (ridiculous) SFV tier chart on an old iphone with mostly no problem. Only issue was that I accidentally threw Balrog off the bottom right corner behind the URL box and can't seem to click to retrieve him. This is not too big a deal since I've yet to see a single person use him...

Professor
4894th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Need help on checking tierchart maker" , posted Wed 22 Jun 23:36post reply

quote:
Thanks, Prof! I made this magnificent (ridiculous) SFV tier chart on an old iphone with mostly no problem. Only issue was that I accidentally threw Balrog off the bottom right corner behind the URL box and can't seem to click to retrieve him. This is not too big a deal since I've yet to see a single person use him...

Fixed it, thanks!

Micky Kusanagi
281th Post

PSN: MickyKusanagi
CFN: MickyKusanagi
Copper Customer

"Re(3):Need help on checking tierchart maker" , posted Tue 28 Jun 18:24post reply

I purposely tried and launched a few portraits over the top of the screen on my iOS7 iPhone 4 -Safari browser-, and there's no way to recover them, but this happens on a computer too. Is there anything specific you wanna know about tier charts on mobile, Prof? I'd try it as soon as I can.

Ore no...kachi da!!
(hopefully) 2 days to fiber...
Professor
4913th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Need help on checking tierchart maker" , posted Tue 28 Jun 19:12post reply

quote:
I purposely tried and launched a few portraits over the top of the screen on my iOS7 iPhone 4 -Safari browser-, and there's no way to recover them, but this happens on a computer too. Is there anything specific you wanna know about tier charts on mobile, Prof? I'd try it as soon as I can.

Ahh yeah, that's been on the adgenda for a while too.. Fixed that! As long as the tier chart is moving on iphone 4, that's good thanks!

Micky Kusanagi
282th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Need help on checking tierchart maker" , posted Tue 28 Jun 19:59post reply

You're welcome, thank you for fixing it. I also appreciate your will to improve BBS usability on mobile devices ^^

Ore no...kachi da!!
(hopefully) 2 days to fiber...
Professor
5102th Post

MMCafe Owner

"The curse of [url=Link_Here]" , posted Thu 23 Mar 21:33:post reply

After many years a bit of trying to figure what to do about it, I decided to fiddle with the java-script and so it should be less prone to happening! Glad that's been taken care of before the 20th anniv, phew.

Once we hit late April I think I'll have more time to do updates.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 23 Mar 21:34]

"Re(1):The curse of [url=Link_Here]" , posted Thu 23 Mar 23:57:post reply

Is it happening?!

https://pics.onsizzle.com/warnings-graphic-sex-swearing-french-the-doctorsconsultinghunter-songofthestarwhale-tennants-hair-levicorp-3363808.png

OMG IT'S HAPPENING

Never thought I'd see the day!
Thank you Prof!

[this message was edited by Iggy on Thu 23 Mar 23:59]

"Re(2):The curse of [url=Link_Here]" , posted Sun 26 Mar 13:58post reply

As one of the vanishingly small number of people who usually got the URL function to work correctly, I look forward to completely flubbing the new version ASAP.
quote:

OMG IT'S HAPPENING

Dear Professor please add a penguin emoticon for MMC 20th Anniversary Dash Champion Edition

"Re(3):The curse of [url=Link_Here]" , posted Mon 27 Mar 05:40post reply

quote:
As one of the vanishingly small number of people who usually got the URL function to work correctly, I look forward to completely flubbing the new version ASAP.

OMG IT'S HAPPENING
Dear Professor please add a penguin emoticon for MMC 20th Anniversary Dash Champion Edition

I will say that the old URL tool was ok on PC, but a but cumbersome on mobile.

testing testing

sibarraz
628th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):The curse of [url=Link_Here]" , posted Mon 27 Mar 21:35post reply

I think that letters are fine, even on mobile, but speaking of it, I hope that we could see improvements for mobile devices

Going from the homepage to the bulletin board is a drag since when click the link on the home, it charges the bulletin board, but only on the small window where all the threads are listed.

This happens on my pc at times

Professor
5105th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):The curse of [url=Link_Here]" , posted Tue 28 Mar 03:42post reply

quote:
I think that letters are fine, even on mobile, but speaking of it, I hope that we could see improvements for mobile devices

Going from the homepage to the bulletin board is a drag since when click the link on the home, it charges the bulletin board, but only on the small window where all the threads are listed.

Can you explain in detail what happens? If it's happening on mobile, if you can take screenshots for explanation I'll see what's wrong. Thanks!

sibarraz
631th Post

"Re(6):The curse of [url=Link_Here]" , posted Tue 28 Mar 03:56post reply

quote:

Can you explain in detail what happens? If it's happening on mobile, if you can take screenshots for explanation I'll see what's wrong. Thanks!

Exactly This This happened on my pc right now, happened before on mobile but is going on fine now

Now mobile works fine, my only gripe is that I can't access the bulletin board without clicking a thread first, which isn't a big deal since this forum always shows the most active threads that I would have clicked anyway. at least now it directs me to the full page of the discussion

Professor
5107th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):The curse of [url=Link_Here]" , posted Tue 28 Mar 04:34:post reply

For mobile, it shouldn't be too hard to add a link that goes directly into the thread list. I'll do that soon.
[edit] Made it so you can hit the thread list by clicking on "What's New at The Madman's Cafe Bulletin".

As for PC, thanks for the screenshot and I see what's happening-- for whatever reason the browser that you're using doesn't seem to be understanding the code that's supposed to be running there. I probably can't update that too quickly but can you tell me what browser that you're using?

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 28 Mar 04:47]

sibarraz
632th Post

"Re(8):The curse of [url=Link_Here]" , posted Tue 28 Mar 05:07post reply

quote:
For mobile, it shouldn't be too hard to add a link that goes directly into the thread list. I'll do that soon.
[edit] Made it so you can hit the thread list by clicking on "What's New at The Madman's Cafe Bulletin".

As for PC, thanks for the screenshot and I see what's happening-- for whatever reason the browser that you're using doesn't seem to be understanding the code that's supposed to be running there. I probably can't update that too quickly but can you tell me what browser that you're using?

Chrome

Micky Kusanagi
656th Post

"Re(9):The curse of [url=Link_Here]" , posted Mon 17 Apr 01:34:post reply

I'm always glad to see the board's workings being fine tuned for the best experience, Professor!!

I experienced the same issue as Sibarraz a couple times on Chrome on my Mac laptop -I use Firefox now-, but I had dismissed it as a matter of clicking on a thread too fast after opening the Cafe home.

(OT) Caught up with all the threads I follow. Ninmu...kanryou!! *walks heavily behind a wall of flames*

Ore no...kachi da!!

[this message was edited by Micky Kusanagi on Mon 17 Apr 01:41]

Professor
5116th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):The curse of [url=Link_Here]" , posted Wed 19 Apr 19:56:post reply

Test

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 19 Apr 19:56]

Professor
5117th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Re(10):The curse of [url=Link_Here]" , posted Wed 19 Apr 20:00post reply

Test again

Professor
5120th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):The curse of the top page" , posted Wed 19 Apr 20:06:post reply

PHEW I finally got Internet back up at my place and so I've tweaked around with the BBS list on the top page so that it breaks out of frame. Hopefully it's working for everyone now including Chrome users. Let me know if there's any other issues, thanks!

Oh yeah also I made it so hitting the MMCafe logo on the BBS via viewing on mobile will move the user to the BBS's top page, not the site's index.

Font size has been slightly adjusted for mobile as well. Let me know if it's too big!

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 20 Apr 00:32]

Professor
5237th Post

MMCafe Owner

"BBS is fixed!" , posted Sat 21 Oct 01:32:post reply

The BBS had some rare downtime today due to maintenance. Everything is fine now, sorry for the trouble!

[edit]
With the BBS also reaching its 20th year by the Tokyo Olympics, I've been slowly working on a slight interface update which I'm calling the "MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine". Its aim is to cut down on the user's load time/load resource by 50% or more.

.... and.. paginated viewing. Finally

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 21 Oct 10:08]

chazumaru
1946th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):BBS is fixed!" , posted Sat 21 Oct 13:44:post reply

Thanks Prof. I have a question about the BBS on mobile. I don't get how you see/reveal spoiler tags on mobile (or at least on Safari). Is it impossible, or am I missing the trick? It's not possible to highlight them manually as recommended in each post, at least.

Maybe I forgot an earlier explanation when you made all these changes for mobile; I was checking the site on a BlackBerry back then so I just chalked up any problem I had to the derelict BB browser, but the spoiler tag problem remains on iOS despite the rest of the board working fine.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sat 21 Oct 13:45]

Professor
5237th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):BBS is fixed!" , posted Sun 22 Oct 02:12post reply

Chaz-- I'm not sure if it still works with the newer iPhones, but try this "tap on the icon next to the URL" trick.
http://tokimekikobako.ldblog.jp/archives/7868314.html

(Either way, the Spoiler tag will be improved for viewing on mobile with the new BBS viewer that I mentioned. I think it also cuts back on load time quite significantly, but I've only tested it on Android thus far)

chazumaru
1947th Post

"Re(3):BBS is fixed!" , posted Sun 22 Oct 11:08:post reply

Let's try...

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I know, I know I've let you down. I've been a fool to myself; I thought that I could live for no one else... But now, through all the hurt and pain, it's time for me to respect the ones you love mean more than anything.

So, with sadness in my heart, I feel the best thing I could do is end it all and leave forever. Whats done is done, it feels so bad; what once was happy now is sad. I'll never love again! My world is ending!

End of Spoiler

Hmm no for some reason, the option does not appear on MMC pages. It needs to be activated somehow, you have just made me noticed it does not appear on most home pages even on news sites, and will only activate once you are in a specific column/article.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sun 22 Oct 11:15]

Professor
5238th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):BBS is fixed!" , posted Mon 23 Oct 01:25post reply

quote:
Let's try...

Hmm no for some reason, the option does not appear on MMC pages. It needs to be activated somehow, you have just made me noticed it does not appear on most home pages even on news sites, and will only activate once you are in a specific column/article.

Humn interesting. I wonder what the icon is intended to do in the first place?

Nevertheless, spoilers should be viewable with the new BBS reader once it rolls out... within the year, which I am hoping.

CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):BBS is fixed!" , posted Mon 23 Oct 22:51post reply

quote:
With the BBS also reaching its 20th year by the Tokyo Olympics, I've been slowly working on a slight interface update which I'm calling the "MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine". Its aim is to cut down on the user's load time/load resource by 50% or more.

Thanks for your continuing efforts to maintain and improve the BBS. Locations on the internet can feel transitory and ephemeral -the recent, rapid implosion of NeoGAF is a good example- so it's comforting to have a site that is in it for the long haul. I'm looking forward to the MMCafe Cold Brew Coffee Machine or whatever other sights are coming in the future.

Professor
5242th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):BBS is fixed!" , posted Tue 24 Oct 03:05:post reply

quote:

Thanks for your continuing efforts to maintain and improve the BBS. Locations on the internet can feel transitory and ephemeral -the recent, rapid implosion of NeoGAF is a good example- so it's comforting to have a site that is in it for the long haul. I'm looking forward to the MMCafe Cold Brew Coffee Machine or whatever other sights are coming in the future.

I've heard about the NeoGAF situation. Did the owner shut it down to stop flame wars associated to his personal affairs? While the matter of his affairs aren't to be taken lightly, it's quite unfortunate for the site to go down, considering it contributed quite a bit to the Internet.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 24 Oct 03:06]

"Re(3):BBS is paginated!" , posted Tue 24 Oct 08:50post reply

quote:

P, p, pagination?! New-fangled! Actually, speaking of GAF, I recommend setting the default post per page at 100 so that comments are scrolled away too quickly (as they are on GAF).

On GAF itself, it's sad and ironic that the owner was evidentally a bad person given that the forum and its moderators are actually quite progressive for the size of the place.

"Re(4):BBS is paginated!" , posted Tue 24 Oct 09:02post reply

quote:
P, p, pagination?! New-fangled! Actually, speaking of GAF, I recommend setting the default post per page at 100 so that comments are scrolled away too quickly (as they are on GAF).

On GAF itself, it's sad and ironic that the owner was evidentally a bad person given that the forum and its moderators are actually quite progressive for the size of the place.

The thing I particularly feel bad about is that he's the owner of the forum, but he's not all the content creator or moderator of the content of the forum. In the sense of separating the artist from the work, this one is pretty clear-cut, and I can only hope that they have some NeoGAF2 up soon. There was a ton of noise, but also a ton of really good information. The sales info alone was a resource unparalleled on the internet to the non-professional pundit.

"Re(3):BBS is fixed!" , posted Tue 24 Oct 23:34post reply

quote:
I've heard about the NeoGAF situation. Did the owner shut it down to stop flame wars associated to his personal affairs? While the matter of his affairs aren't to be taken lightly, it's quite unfortunate for the site to go down, considering it contributed quite a bit to the Internet.

He's now blaming the ex for slander and axed the entire off-topic forum. Any and all dissenters are being silenced with bans.

It's a total trashfire. Such a shame, since the game-specific threads were really informative.

Professor
5277th Post

MMCafe Owner

"The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Sun 3 Dec 21:49:post reply

NOTE: The cookies setting for this BBS has been changed so if you're suddenly seeing threads in website layout, please click on "Switch to Classic View" on the top of the page. Font size setting might've been reset as well, so you'll need to change it back. Sorry for the Inconvenience.

The MMCafe BBS has been around for a long time and without paraphrasing, it's pretty old and it can load pretty slow, particularly on long threads.

To solve that, I've created something I call the MMCafe BBS: Instant Coffee Engine (ICE)-- A lightweight AJAX frontend that makes the BBS's loading a lot faster, especially for Smartphones. On default setting, it improves thread display speed on smartphones by around 700%, and PC viewing by around 200%. It also features paginated viewing which has been a long-wanted feature for the BBS.

Load difference comparison (check it out):
300+ post thread loaded in Classic format
300+ post thread loaded on ICE

How to Use:
PC- On the BBS's top menu, select "Theme" > Express. You can switch back to "Classic" or "Site" at any time.
Mobile- For the time being, click the following link. (Once I make sure things are running smoothly on ICE, it will be the default for mobile devices.) -- http://www.mmcafe.com/bbs/viewer.html

Notes:
- Default pagination is set at 10 posts per page for smartphones, 20 for PC. This can be changed from the menu in both cases.
- Setting the posts per page higher will make the load longer.
- Archived threads older than about 4 years will be displayed in their original form.
- On mobile, archived threads older than June 2016 have minor layout issues.

I've been debugging and using it regularly for the past two months so I'm pretty sure it's stable, but if there's any noticable issues, especially if it doesn't display on mobile, please let me know.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 4 Dec 03:46]

"Re(1):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Mon 4 Dec 04:32:post reply

Wonderful! Beautiful! Exciting!

I'm particularly pleased that maintaining the Classic view gives me the option of being old-fashioned or contrarian even within the context of the Cafe.

All versions work on phone and PC for me. The only disadvantage to MMC Hyped Up On Expresso mode is that you can't see any posts as the thread is loading, even if it's massively faster in the long run.

Meanwhile, I encourage people to keep at least 20-30 thread count views so you don't miss any of my profound insights as threads scroll up.

Also: who are the Site view fans here? I always found it a bit odd/crowded, but don't worry, you can trust me to keep your strange preferences in strict confidence, honest.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 4 Dec 04:36]

CFN: Gojira

"Re(1):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Mon 4 Dec 11:13post reply

ICE is nice! Thanks for keeping the site smooth, Professor.

I had a little trouble switching to it at first, I think because my bookmark was directly on the bbs.html page, so whatever I did with the drop-down menu nothing happened. But when I clicked the link you posted to the viewer.html page everything was fine and the menu was working, so I just made that my default bookmark.

Wii: NNID:sfried

"Re(2):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Mon 4 Dec 12:01post reply

I'm a bit more bothered by the fact that the topic list doesn't load on Firefox for iOS for some reason. Was hoping we'd switch to HTML5 by now...

Professor
5277th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Mon 4 Dec 19:27post reply

quote:
I had a little trouble switching to it at first, I think because my bookmark was directly on the bbs.html page, so whatever I did with the drop-down menu nothing happened. But when I clicked the link you posted to the viewer.html page everything was fine and the menu was working, so I just made that my default bookmark.

I totally forgot about bbs.html!
I'll do something about that, thanks.

quote:
I'm a bit more bothered by the fact that the topic list doesn't load on Firefox on iOS for some reason. Was hoping we'd switch to HTML5 by now...

Thanks for the heads up, I'll need to have someone help me debug for Firefox iOS as noone around me uses it.
The thread list not loading, is this an issue for the classic viewing, or ICE?

I'm not sure about adapting HTML5 since its difference from HTML4.01 is mostly for multimedia purposes and advanced APIs such as acquiring the user's geolocation.

chazumaru
1961th Post

"Re(4):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Tue 5 Dec 00:01post reply

Hmm! Thanks for your effort, Prof, but I don't get how you access the new format. When I click on your test link, it works fine. But whenever I try changing the theme myself, I don't see any change. I now realize I had never seen the page split before either! Same thing, I only see the page split when I follow your link. I am on Chrome.

Même Narumi est épatée !
Professor
5279th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Tue 5 Dec 00:12:post reply

quote:
Hmm! Thanks for your effort, Prof, but I don't get how you access the new format. When I click on your test link, it works fine. But whenever I try changing the theme myself, I don't see any change. I now realize I had never seen the page split before either! Same thing, I only see the page split when I follow your link. I am on Chrome.

Humm I've tested it on Chrome so it should be working, I think... this is chrome on PC, correct? I could have very well missed something because there's so many URLs that this BBS can be viewed from.

Can you try this and tell me what happens?

1/ Keep a note of the URL that you're reading the BBS from
2/ Change the theme to Express
3/ Reload the page
4/ Wait for the page to finish loading, then check out its URL
5/ Post the URLs from step 1 and 4 on this thread so I can figure out what's going on
Thanks in advance!

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 5 Dec 00:53]

chazumaru
1962th Post

"Re(6):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Tue 5 Dec 01:39post reply

Thanks! I am checking on a Mac right now, but I can check on a PC as well if that can help.

So:

I type "mm" in the address bar and Chrome auto-fills http://www.mmcafe.com/bbs
I press Enter and the page then automatically redirects to http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/thread_open.shtml
FYI, when I click on your post (for example), it gives me this URL format: http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13576.shtml#79482

Now, when I try to change the theme to Express, please note that every time, the Theme window says "Theme" and the Fontsize window says "Fontsize". I don't know if that windows is supposed so show the theme and font size I have selected, but it does not.

When it comes to the theme, I simply see absolutely no change between the Classic, Express and Site configurations. It's always the same design. It always refreshes to the same URL: http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/thread_open.shtml

I can't even tell for sure if the cookies have remembered the change.

However, if I switch the font size, the change is remembered correctly the next time I visit the website. So the cookies are definitely remembering what I selected in the font size window, even if they don't show it in the Fontsize window.

Même Narumi est épatée !
Professor
5280th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Tue 5 Dec 02:36:post reply

Thanks for the very detailed explanation. It's either that the problem is distinct to Mac Chrome, or I have problems on the cookies. My suspicion is that it has something to do with.... well, cookies on the Mac. I'll write some codes tomorrow.

Btw, can you try checking out on PC as well when you have some spare time? Thank you!

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 5 Dec 02:40]

chazumaru
1963th Post

"Re(8):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Tue 5 Dec 02:49post reply

I'll check tomorrow. Let's sleep on this. I wonder if maybe it's related to Adblock as well.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Tue 5 Dec 03:41post reply

quote:

Humm I've tested it on Chrome so it should be working, I think... this is chrome on PC, correct? I could have very well missed something because there's so many URLs that this BBS can be viewed from.

Can you try this and tell me what happens?

1/ Keep a note of the URL that you're reading the BBS from
2/ Change the theme to Express
3/ Reload the page
4/ Wait for the page to finish loading, then check out its URL
5/ Post the URLs from step 1 and 4 on this thread so I can figure out what's going on
Thanks in advance!

Hello Professor, nice update! Thanks. I'm on mobile/chrome and I have the same problem.

"Re(7):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Tue 5 Dec 10:28post reply

Dudes, you're going to hate me for this "try restarting" level solution but...I had the same problem, then I cleared all my cookies and tried again, and everything was perfect.

Professor
5281th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Tue 5 Dec 11:52:post reply

quote:
Dudes, you're going to hate me for this "try restarting" level solution but...I had the same problem, then I cleared all my cookies and tried again, and everything was perfect.

Thanks for the heads up! But if going with cookie deletion, I can check and pinpoint the exact cookie needed for deletion so I wouldn't suggest a clear-all to members. First thing first, I need to try and see a way of solving this without user intervention.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 5 Dec 12:06]

Professor
5282th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Tue 5 Dec 22:55:post reply

To Chaz:
Can you test this out on your Mac Chrome? Thanks!

1. Go to this URL
http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/test-cookie.html

2. On the dropdown, select 'classic'
3. Click on "Check Cookie!" button and take a note of the cookie parameter that appears in the dialogue box
4. Do steps 2 & 3 again, but select 'Express' on the dropdown instead of classic

To KOFoguz:
For mobie chrome, it'll automatically switch to the new viewer around... Friday! (The viewer does work on your mobile when you click the link I posted up, I hope?)

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 5 Dec 23:01]

chazumaru
1967th Post

"Re(10):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Tue 5 Dec 23:22post reply

quote:
1. Go to this URL
http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/test-cookie.html
2. On the dropdown, select 'classic'
3. Click on "Check Cookie!" button and take a note of the cookie parameter that appears in the dialogue box
4. Do steps 2 & 3 again, but select 'Express' on the dropdown instead of classic

I am an idiot so I clicked "Check Cookie" first, and it showed "2012".
Then I did as you say, selected classic and the cookie check said "classic".
Then I selected Express and the cookie check said "quick".
Then I selected Site and the cookie check said "2012" again.

Même Narumi est épatée !
Professor
5283th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Re(10):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Wed 6 Dec 00:07:post reply

quote:

Thanks for testing! Humm so the cookie is working-- that's good news. But the script that makes the page switch is *not* working, I think? Which is weird... humm. Maybe it's something unique to the frame. So let's see, how about...

Can you try this whenever you have spare time? Thanks.

1.Clear out your cache (not cookies, of course)
2.Go to http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/test-cookie.html
3.On the dropdown, select "classic"
4.Go to http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/thread_open.shtml
5.On the BBS menu, click the "Theme" dropdown and select 'Express'
6.Tell me if you get a prompt that says "Switched display method to [quick] . Reload!" , or if it says a different parameter in the brackets, or if it's just dead silent (no prompt at all).
7. If it says "Switched display method to [quick] . Reload!", does reloading the page change the URL?

Thanks for all your help!

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 6 Dec 00:39]

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Thu 7 Dec 01:58post reply

quote:

To solve that, I've created something I call the MMCafe BBS: Instant Coffee Engine (ICE)-- A lightweight AJAX frontend that makes the BBS's loading a lot faster, especially for Smartphones. On default setting, it improves thread display speed on smartphones by around 700%, and PC viewing by around 200%. It also features paginated viewing which has been a long-wanted feature for the BBS.

Professor, this is fantastic news! Sorry I'm late to the party to express congrats!

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.
Professor
5283th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Thu 7 Dec 20:28post reply

quote:

Professor, this is fantastic news! Sorry I'm late to the party to express congrats!

Thanks!

Note: The Instant Coffee Engine is now Default for Mobile viewing. Whenever the BBS is read on mobile, it'll be displayed in the new format for posts made since 2013.

chazumaru
1968th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Thu 7 Dec 22:23post reply

quote:

6.Tell me if you get a prompt that says "Switched display method to [quick] . Reload!" , or if it says a different parameter in the brackets, or if it's just dead silent (no prompt at all).
7. If it says "Switched display method to [quick] . Reload!", does reloading the page change the URL?

Yes! That worked exactly as written in your checklist. I have page splits now, thank you. Sorry for the hassle!

Même Narumi est épatée !
Professor
5285th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Re(10):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Fri 8 Dec 00:35:post reply

Chaz-- Gotcha, thanks! I think I've figured it out, then: it's probably old cache that causes the problem, in which case should be solved automatically after a while for anyone having the same issue. Btw your previous issues with spoilers should be solved with the Instant Coffee Engine / Expresso.

Maou-- I'm going to borrow your idea and call this the Expresso

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 8 Dec 01:46]

Wii: NNID:sfried

"Re(3):Re(10):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Fri 8 Dec 15:26:post reply

quote:

Thanks for testing! Humm so the cookie is working-- that's good news. But the script that makes the page switch is *not* working, I think? Which is weird... humm. Maybe it's something unique to the frame. So let's see, how about...

MMCafe is now working perfectly on Firefox on iOS thanks to ICE script! Thanks again Prof.!

Edit. Just to clarify, the issue was with Classic viewing. ICE fixes it.

[this message was edited by sfried on Fri 8 Dec 15:28]

Professor
5286th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Re(10):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Fri 8 Dec 16:35:post reply

quote:
MMCafe is now working perfectly on Firefox on iOS thanks to ICE script! Thanks again Prof.!

Great to hear that!

OK then, so the ICE/Expresso is more or less confirmed stable. I can rest for now on its development, lol.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 8 Dec 16:35]

"Re(5):Re(10):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Mon 11 Dec 12:27:post reply

quote:

Great to hear that!

OK then, so the ICE/Expresso is more or less confirmed stable. I can rest for now on its development, lol.

Dearest Professor,

I posted a new thread and then I received a present of a bonus header bar:
https://imgur.com/HtGGopw

I am running Chrome, Version 63.0.3239.84 (Official Build) (64-bit), on Windows 7 desktop. I was viewing the site and made the post in ICE mode.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Mon 11 Dec 12:36]

Professor
5286th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Re(10):The MMCafe Instant Coffee Engine" , posted Mon 11 Dec 19:55post reply

quote:
Dearest Professor,

I posted a new thread and then I received a present of a bonus header bar:
https://imgur.com/HtGGopw

I am running Chrome, Version 63.0.3239.84 (Official Build) (64-bit), on Windows 7 desktop. I was viewing the site and made the post in ICE mode.

lol, that's a cute bug. Fixed it, thanks!

Professor
5496th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Calling Kikkoken" , posted Fri 21 Sep 23:28post reply

Check your mail or spam box, thanks!

Professor
5502th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Calling Kikkoken Again!" , posted Sun 23 Sep 12:33post reply

Check your mail or spam box Again, thanks!

(PS- Probably best if you set it so mails from mmcafe.com aren't filtered out as spam)

kikkoken
1219th Post

"Re(1):Calling Kikkoken Again!" , posted Tue 25 Sep 03:52post reply

quote:
Check your mail or spam box Again, thanks!

(PS- Probably best if you set it so mails from mmcafe.com aren't filtered out as spam)

Thanks for the heads up, Professor. I'll try to get it sorted.

Professor
5512th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Calling Kikkoken Again! x2" , posted Fri 28 Sep 00:19post reply

Another heads up to Kikkoken

"Re(3):Calling Kikkoken Again! x2" , posted Fri 28 Sep 01:42post reply

quote:

Psst, Kikkoken-niichan, when do *I* get to call you??

Also where is chaz?

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(4):Calling Kikkoken Again! x2" , posted Fri 28 Sep 02:27post reply

quote:
Also where is chaz?

Chaz has unilaterally dumped us to spend time with the exact same kind of people, but who are collectively 3% more attractive than us and talk about post-colonialist hermeneutics in queer literature approximately 7% more often.
We need to step up our game to get him back.

"Re(5):Calling Kikkoken Again! x2" , posted Fri 28 Sep 02:33post reply

quote:
Also where is chaz?
Chaz has unilaterally dumped us to spend time with the exact same kind of people, but who are collectively 3% more attractive than us and talk about post-colonialist hermeneutics in queer literature approximately 7% more often.

But, but I used "diegesis" in a Lupin III post and Spoon's writing thread has auteur theory, translation theory, and Genji! Hmm, unless he retreated to that French-speaking board where you sometimes two-timed us, in which case, our problem may be that we are speaking in the wrong language...

Professor
5513th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Calling Kikkoken Again! x2" , posted Fri 28 Sep 17:24post reply

quote:
Also where is chaz?
But, but I used "diegesis" in a Lupin III post and Spoon's writing thread has auteur theory, translation theory, and Genji! Hmm, unless he retreated to that French-speaking board where you sometimes two-timed us, in which case, our problem may be that we are speaking in the wrong language...

I hope that Chaz does come back at this historically important time when Jojo Pt.5 is infiltrating Tokyo's town of Shinjuku.

But I don't know if I want a golden experience on my skewers.

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(7):Calling Kikkoken Again! x2" , posted Fri 28 Sep 18:58post reply

quote:
I hope that Chaz does come back at this historically important time when Jojo Pt.5 is infiltrating Tokyo's town of Shinjuku.

But I don't know if I want a golden experience on my skewers.

I guess the big test of courage will be to order some tea...

Kikkoken
1222th Post

"Re(4):Calling Kikkoken Again! x2" , posted Sun 7 Oct 03:54post reply

quote:
Psst, Kikkoken-niichan, when do *I* get to call you??

Yes, yes, voilà, I'm here, gentlemen. What is it?

Professor
5516th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Calling Kikkoken Again! x2" , posted Sun 7 Oct 06:27post reply

quote:

Classic Ascii Art time

|           
    |  ('A`)      
   / ̄ノ( ヘヘ ̄ ̄      

|           
    |  ('A`)     <ウボァ 
   / ̄ノ( ヘヘ ̄ ̄      

kikkoken
1225th Post

"Re(6):Calling Kikkoken Again! x2" , posted Sun 7 Oct 07:40post reply

quote:

Classic Ascii Art time

|           
    |  ('A`)      
   / ̄ノ( ヘヘ ̄ ̄      

|           
    |  ('A`)     <ウボァ 
   / ̄ノ( ヘヘ ̄ ̄      

What a truly, truly wonderful piece of art. Thank you Professor :)