Oroch
1141th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: Alpha-Class
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Thu 13 Aug 00:16post reply

Shout out to Iggy or Kikkoken or anyone else in France.

I'm heading out there around November/December.

Anyone up for a drink, before I go and commit myself to 5 years in Aubagne?

Replies:

Iggy
9958th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Thu 13 Aug 00:22post reply

quote:

I'm in London, but I need to force myself to go visit my family at some point.
Are you joking or are you really going to Aubagne of all places? For 5 years?

Oroch
1142th Post

"Re(2):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Thu 13 Aug 00:48post reply

quote:

I'm in London, but I need to force myself to go visit my family at some point.
Are you joking or are you really going to Aubagne of all places? For 5 years?

I'm dead serious. What's life without a bit of adventure? I've educated myself, earned money, the last thing I need to do is test my physical mettle. What better place to do it than the legion?

Maou
2862th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"Re(3):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Thu 13 Aug 03:49post reply

quote:
test my physical mettle. What better place to do it than the legion?

Holy hell, Oroch, you just reminded me of how legit the Cafe is. Maybe Chaz will buy you a good luck cake. Too bad I don't know anything about Aubagne.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

chazumaru
1542th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Thu 13 Aug 19:59:post reply

Iggy knows that area much better than I do but I can tell that you already understood 90% of all the French culture you need to know when you separated <Paris>, <Marseille> and <France> as completely different places that have very little in common with each other. You should have no problem fitting in.

I am not sure how much there is to do in December in Marseille besides { fill-in a racist stereotype from a Parisian perspective } but it's probably a good idea to visit the Velodrome right in the middle of the season and get to learn the players' names (and have an opinion about the latest drama). It's irrelevant whether you might already like or get to like soccer; it will simply become an essential survival trick to fake your way out of a discussion about OM. Think of it as being constantly surrounded by lunatic Eagles fans in Philadelphia. I was told the Legion Etrangere is actually quite boring 99% of the time so it might be a good idea to rely on sports as a distraction anyway.

Also, I am not sure how busy you'll be in Aubagne but, if those early weeks are your last chance to have a bit of free time, you should definitely check out Corsica. Possibly the most beautiful place in Europe.

French people are typically aloof and don't trust strangers, which is frequently associated with being rude and impolite (and this is a fair assessment when we apply this attitude to the service of customers, compared to other cultures). But once you get friends, even among civilians, those ties should remain strong. As in: they'll be there to help you bury the bodies when you call them. Which, statistically, is an experience you will definitely go through at least once if you live near Marseille.

Même Narumi est épatée !

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Thu 13 Aug 20:04]

Iggy
9960th Post

"Re(3):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Thu 13 Aug 20:12post reply

quote:
I'm dead serious. What's life without a bit of adventure? I've educated myself, earned money, the last thing I need to do is test my physical mettle. What better place to do it than the legion?

This is crazy. You are crazy. I'm totally buying it.

I'll try to go to Paris at some point in November, tell me when you'll be there so I'll take my train tickets accordingly!

chazumaru
1542th Post

"Re(4):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Thu 13 Aug 20:20post reply

I most likely won't be in Paris this Winter but a friend of mine living in Paris actually prepared for the Legion Etrangere a couple of years ago and gave up just before entering, although he (claims he) was ready for the physical test, because he found out that the Legion was far less interesting than he expected.

I think he had a very "romantic" idea of the corps, though, so probably he was looking for something more than an extreme physical challenge (which seems to be your main motivation if I understand correctly).

If it interests you to get his opinion before you fly down to Aubagne for good, I can put you guys in contact. He works in the trendy restaurant business so at least you should get a good meal out of it.

Même Narumi est épatée !

oroch
1143th Post

"Re(4):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 03:36post reply

quote:
test my physical mettle. What better place to do it than the legion?
Holy hell, Oroch, you just reminded me of how legit the Cafe is. Maybe Chaz will buy you a good luck cake. Too bad I don't know anything about Aubagne.

i'll miss cake and other niceties :(

oroch
1144th Post

"Re(2):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 03:37post reply

quote:
French people are typically aloof and don't trust strangers, which is frequently associated with being rude and impolite (and this is a fair assessment when we apply this attitude to the service of customers, compared to other cultures). But once you get friends, even among civilians, those ties should remain strong. As in: they'll be there to help you bury the bodies when you call them. Which, statistically, is an experience you will definitely go through at least once if you live near Marseille.

sounds like my kind of people!

oroch
1145th Post

"Re(4):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 03:38post reply

quote:

This is crazy. You are crazy. I'm totally buying it.

I'll try to go to Paris at some point in November, tell me when you'll be there so I'll take my train tickets accordingly!

I'm a psychiatrist, I can't be crazy!

oroch
1146th Post

"Re(5):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 03:57post reply

quote:
I most likely won't be in Paris this Winter but a friend of mine living in Paris actually prepared for the Legion Etrangere a couple of years ago and gave up just before entering, although he (claims he) was ready for the physical test, because he found out that the Legion was far less interesting than he expected.

I think he had a very "romantic" idea of the corps, though, so probably he was looking for something more than an extreme physical challenge (which seems to be your main motivation if I understand correctly).

If it interests you to get his opinion before you fly down to Aubagne for good, I can put you guys in contact. He works in the trendy restaurant business so at least you should get a good meal out of it.

I would whole hardheartedly appreciate that contact.

I don't expect anything romantic, beau geste it is not. And I know I won't be the typical candidate either(read poor and starving and thus 5 year service is the way to a better life and french citizenship). I expect to be beaten down, to do brain dead work, and to be shot at while climbing a hill in [insert country here] 40degree sunshine.

But I've got to do it, before I get out of their recruiting age range(and get married and have kids).

Plus if I survive, and I don't like France, I can come back to the states and restart my practice, or I can get a dual citizenship and work as a SniperDoctor in France(my m.d. is EU valid).

Or maybe I'll stay in the Zanzibar LandCongo and become Big Boss? Who knows, the possibilities are endless.

“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” -Socrates

Toxico
5962th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(6):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 05:04post reply

quote:

That's the n°1 line a suspicious person would say.....

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

Spoon
3013th Post

"Re(7):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 05:28post reply

quote:

I'm now imagining Geese Howard being a psychiatrist.

I'm curious why you chose the French Foreign Legion as opposed to any other military force, especially given that you are sensible enough to not have any romantic ideas about what service with them will entail.

Iggy
9962th Post

"Re(6):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 05:51post reply

OK, this is totally insane. Please provide your exact date of birth, along with the hour and the place of said birth, for further analysis of our services.

I believe you would have less chances with your Bigbossization in Congo/Zanzibar and more with Mali and Ivory Coast. West Africa is where we still have our good "friends".

As for the rest... I have no idea what kind of people you'll find there, but you probably can't go wrong with Chaz's advices. Football (since it is the only true name of the discipline) is paramount. Performative masculinity at its most brash is the only way to be, and I know several less than manly guys (and I don't only mean "gay") that found it easier to simply move to a different region than cope with the obligatory alpha male mentality that is expected from all.

One more thing: when in doubt, utmost contempt for Paris (compared to Marseille/Provence in general) should be demonstrated as vividly as possible. Example:

- Good day, sir!
- Ha! It's not in Paris you'll find some good weather like that! Pity them!

- Oh no! I stepped in dog shit!
- Only a Parisian son of a bitch could let his dog shit on our great Massilia! We'll make them pay next time OM plays them!

Etc.
So, when does your adventure start? What will you do in Paris before that?
Warning: don't mention you arrived in Paris before landing to Marseille. If you have to, insist on how miserable the experience was and how happy you are it's over. With some luck knowing Paris, you won't even have to lie about it.

Maese
779th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(7):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 10:40post reply

Back in the day we had this kid who went to the soccer camp and never returned, and now we have Oroch who is gonna enlist himself on the French Foreign Legion. The Cafe has just leveled up.

Anyway, I wish you the best of lucks, good sir! Do you have any idea about which corps would you want to enlist? If you would accept suggestions, Pioneers look manly beyond words with those 19th century beards.

Also, bonus points to Chaz for

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
raising the topic of El Loco Bielsa's last tomfoolery.

End of Spoiler

Oroch
1148th Post

"Re(8):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 11:28:post reply

quote:

I'm now imagining Geese Howard being a psychiatrist.

I'm curious why you chose the French Foreign Legion as opposed to any other military force, especially given that you are sensible enough to not have any romantic ideas about what service with them will entail.

A few personal reasons involving a particularly enchanting french woman

A few public reasons,

1) if I'm putting in the time, I need something to show for it(besides the eye patch and stories), I'll get French Citizenship, to me that's a nice plus.

2) after med school I actually wanted to stay and work in either France or England, but I came back home to the states for the money. Now I can go back and eat baguettes like God intended.

3) I'm guaranteed an adventure(with periods of lull inbetween), probably not so much if I joined a us branch. I'll probably be sent somewhere to a VA hospital and prescribe antidepressants all day. I do that already with 3x the pay.

[this message was edited by Oroch on Fri 14 Aug 11:30]

Oroch
1148th Post

"Re(8):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 11:49post reply

quote:
Back in the day we had this kid who went to the soccer camp and never returned, and now we have Oroch who is gonna enlist himself on the French Foreign Legion. The Cafe has just leveled up.

Anyway, I wish you the best of lucks, good sir! Do you have any idea about which corps would you want to enlist? If you would accept suggestions, Pioneers look manly beyond words with those 19th century beards.

I thought it was football camp. Oh I'll be back, provided I'm not dead, I still need to send dirty pictures to kikkoken somehow, and since he refuses to give me his mailing address this is the only way I can keep doing that.

I can grow a wicked beard, but if I had my choice, I'd go with 2e REI or 13e DBLE

from my understanding where you get sent is based on how well you pass the exams and what they need.

Maou
2865th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"Re(9):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 13:10:post reply

Oh man, this is my new favorite thread of all time. Maese read my mind: just as Hazzan went off to football camp, Oroch is going to the Legion (tip: make sure it is not the Legion from Dracula's castle unless you are also Alucard), and I think he's not joking! But like Hazzan and ONSY, I know our prayers to the moon will bring him back periodically.
quote:
Bigbossization in Mali and Ivory Coast
Pah, Central African Republic is the true destination if you want to get into mercenarydom in collapsed post-French states. Please consider a Foxhound dogtag or Squall's SeeD uniform once you're in.
quote:
One more thing: when in doubt, utmost contempt for Paris
Iggy and Chaz made me laugh here, but it's true! I'm not even French, and I've confirmed this in multiple contexts. It's not remotely the same level as outsiders finding Tokyoites "cold" or New Yorkers "unfriendly." Get into it!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 14 Aug 13:16]

chazumaru
1543th Post

"Re(10):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 16:38post reply

Parisians get a bad rap. I don't agree with the stereotype that all Parisians are snobbish assholes with contempt towards the rest of France, and I know this because I am one of those snobbish assholes with contempt towards the rest of France. Just like most big cities in the World, most Parisians simply don't even know/acknowledge the rest of the country exists, in due part because many of those Parisians have fled from places they chose to forget about.

That being said, we might be one of the only cultures that has a specific word in the local dictionary to describe "the part of our country that is not its capital city". And an derivative word for its people that also doubles up as a derogatory term in several languages. And it would take me way too long to explain (let alone justify) the whole "16-1" phone rules of our childhood. So I can see why those second-class citizens and their mules would hold a grudge against us.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Iggy
9963th Post

"Re(10):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 18:58post reply

quote:
Pah, Central African Republic is the true destination if you want to get into mercenarydom in collapsed post-French states.

Having lived some of my tender years in Ivory Coast then RCA, I can testify that we burned our bridges there. Of course, we still have some contacts, but nothing as strong as how things were 30 years ago. West African imperialism is still in the cards, though.

Oroch
1149th Post

"Re(7):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 23:32post reply

quote:

So, when does your adventure start? What will you do in Paris before that?
-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

I've set a goal for November to sell my material goods, and the practice. Say my goodbyes to family and friends.

I was thinking of dropping by Paris and seeing a few sights, maybe visit an ex gf, and grab a few rounds with anyone from the cafe who is there.

The alternative not go for a mini vacation and fly into Marseille get my bearings for a few days and the take the bus to Aubagne and enlist.

Iggy
9964th Post

"Re(8):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Fri 14 Aug 23:53post reply

Well, I'll have to go to Marseille to see my aunts anyway, so I'm sure we'll be able to grab a café one way or the other.

PS: I know jack shit about Marseille, I have always hated the city and made my best to avoid it at all costs. I only know one good restaurant to have an amazing bouillabaisse on the Vieux Port and that's it.

karasu
1549th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(9):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Sat 15 Aug 01:20post reply

I don't have much to contribute to the conversation, but I'll just make a pair of comments: First, that I find this thread to be fascinating! Oroch, I'm hoping you'll continue to drop by as you can to talk about your experience! And second, that while I've never bought into the American stereotype of Parisians (since many of the American who I've heard bitch about the snooty coldness of the city's inhabitants, it's not like half of those people weren't walking around with Harley Davidson bandanas, white tube socks and sandals, and "AMERICA FUCK YEAH" t-shirts while complaining loudly about how rude everyone is), I can say that as someone who's traveled quite a bit to all kinds of places, Paris is the only place where I have a few stories about being treated horribly by the locals.

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

Ishmael
5253th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(10):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Sat 15 Aug 07:18post reply

Between Iggy dabbling in apiculture and Oroch's decision to try his hand at being a Legionnaire I've realized I'm living a very routine life.

Oroch
1151th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Visiting France, Paris, Marseill" , posted Sat 15 Aug 23:21:post reply

quote:
Between Iggy dabbling in apiculture and Oroch's decision to try his hand at being a Legionnaire I've realized I'm living a very routine life.

All that should matter is are YOU happy?

[this message was edited by Oroch on Sat 15 Aug 23:22]

Spoon
3014th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Visiting France, Paris, Marseill" , posted Sun 16 Aug 04:31post reply

quote:

All that should matter is are YOU ok?

Ishmael
5254th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):Re(10):Visiting France, Paris, Marseill" , posted Mon 17 Aug 06:55post reply

quote:

All that should matter is are YOU happy?

We're having steamed pork for dinner, how could I not be happy?

chazumaru
1544th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Visiting France, Paris, Marseill" , posted Mon 17 Aug 21:08post reply

quote:

And what does an Ishmael do who finds a cave of pulled pork? Does he pause to think cautiously about how to proceed or consider consequences for his health? No—he eats the shit out of it. Mindlessly, at full speed.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Iggy
9965th Post

"Re(6):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Sun 23 Aug 06:43post reply

Back on topic Oroch: since it so happens I need to organize my plans for november now, do you have any date set in stone for when you will be for sure in Paris or Marseille?

kofoguz
1185th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Visiting France, Paris, Marseill" , posted Mon 24 Aug 06:34post reply

quote:

And what does an Ishmael do who finds a cave of pulled pork? Does he pause to think cautiously about how to proceed or consider consequences for his health? No—he eats the shit out of it. Mindlessly, at full speed.

Chaz thanks for the read. I really liked the article. First part has no shocking new discovery but has an educating "oh" feeling.

Oroch
1151th Post

"Re(7):Visiting France, Paris, Marseille" , posted Thu 27 Aug 20:51post reply

quote:
Back on topic Oroch: since it so happens I need to organize my plans for november now, do you have any date set in stone for when you will be for sure in Paris or Marseille?

Not yet, I need to sell the practice and inform patients. Once that is done I can be more sure of an exact date.