New 2015 Lupin trailer - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (9253 Views )

Professor
4272th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"New 2015 Lupin trailer" , posted Fri 24 Apr 13:42post reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA3jsUnwUyw

The art style has a mellow pseudo-old-yet-new look? It'd be interesting to hear what nobi and everyone thinks!

On a side note, this would be an opportune moment as well to talk on favorite Lupin films. The Castle of Cagliostro is the most well-known, but there's so many.

Replies:

Ishmael
5143th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):New 2015 Lupin trailer" , posted Sat 25 Apr 01:13post reply

The Lupin 79 theme music and Akira-style light trails on the Fiat? They really are going for an old school feel!

It's funny, but a fansub of The Castle of Cagliostro was the first time I consciously watched anime. I had known about and seen examples of animation from Japan but that was the first time I had seen a subtitled movie that was also a cartoon. When I watched it I was amazed by what I saw and wondered if everything made in Japan was this terrific. The answer to that question was... no, far from it. But even all these years later I still love Lupin.

Maou
2773th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):New 2015 Lupin trailer" , posted Sat 25 Apr 03:49:post reply

Full site here! Airing this fall, or in Italy first in May, where "Cliff Hanger" is extra beloved and where the new series is set, in the microstate of San Marino. The art's nearly as good as the (otherwise forgettable) Fujiko series and that pachislot game I wish they'd use as a model. They of course have Cagliostro and Miyazaki on the mind, not only with Goemon's stupid hair from the first series but in the fact that Lupin's driving his simple Fiat-500 instead of the proper Mercedes-Benz SSK.

Favorite Lupins? The answer, for better or worse, hasn't changed much for me since last decade, and depends on what you want out of it. A surefire judge of quality is whether Zenigata is properly directed as a deadly rival, as per the Monkey Punch originals, or lazily by lesser directors as a buffoon.

Lupin vs. the Clone/Secret of Mamo

My favorite by far. Rough, gritty, funny, sexy, manic. No show or film has ever hewed as closely to the comic as this one, and nothing captures the mapcap joy of Lupin's mix of sex/intrigue/violence/comedy better. Everyone is brilliantly in-character.

Castle of Cagliostro
By any measure a masterpiece of a film, though a Lupin purist could argue that it's more of a Miyazaki film than a Lupin film because he's too gentlemanly in this one. Miyazaki, however, deserves credit because he understands Zenigata better than most, who is cool and dangerous here, and if you read it as "Lupin in his mellowed out older years," he's more plausible, too.

Dead or Alive
Monkey Punch's sole directorial role, lacks the sexiness but otherwise gritty and masterful, particularly strong portrayal of Zenigata. Best movie release in twenty years since Cagliostro.

Episode Zero: First Contact

One of the few TV specials to distinguish itself, understand its characters well, and produce something new that is credible and interesting.

Honorable mentions: Burn, Zantetsuken! has a brilliant opening that isn't matched for the rest of the special, and the Fuma Conspiracy OAV is great fun, though seriously compromised by the lack of Ohno's music and the proper voice actors.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 25 Apr 04:22]

neo0r0chiaku
11th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1

New Customer

"Re(3):New 2015 Lupin trailer" , posted Sat 25 Apr 05:11post reply

quote:
Full site here! Airing this fall, or in Italy first in May, where "Cliff Hanger" is extra beloved and where the new series is set, in the microstate of San Marino. The art's nearly as good as the (otherwise forgettable) Fujiko series and that pachislot game I wish they'd use as a model. They of course have Cagliostro and Miyazaki on the mind, not only with Goemon's stupid hair from the first series but in the fact that Lupin's driving his simple Fiat-500 instead of the proper Mercedes-Benz SSK.

Favorite Lupins? The answer, for better or worse, hasn't changed much for me since last decade, and depends on what you want out of it. A surefire judge of quality is whether Zenigata is properly directed as a deadly rival, as per the Monkey Punch originals, or lazily by lesser directors as a buffoon.

Lupin vs. the Clone/Secret of Mamo

My favorite by far. Rough, gritty, funny, sexy, manic. No show or film has ever hewed as closely to the comic as this one, and nothing captures the mapcap joy of Lupin's mix of sex/intrigue/violence/comedy better. Everyone is brilliantly in-character.

Castle of Cagliostro
By any measure a masterpiece of a film, though a Lupin purist could argue that it's more of a Miyazaki film than

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Is it best to watch the series first before the movies? I was only able to watch some Lupin here and there while i was young. I can finally get my hands on the series but not sure where to start.

Long Live!

Maou
2774th Post

"Re(4):New 2015 Lupin trailer" , posted Sat 25 Apr 06:04:post reply

You are in luck! Both Clone/Mamo and Cagliostro are friendly to all, don't feature a lot of extraneous add-ons to distract you from figuring out the main cast/series style, and most importantly are great. The first series is short and good, so not too overwhelming, but these first two movies give you a better sense of what Lupin is "about" in a shorter period of time.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 25 Apr 06:16]

Ishmael
5144th Post

"Re(5):New 2015 Lupin trailer" , posted Sat 25 Apr 10:08post reply

quote:
Is it best to watch the series first before the movies? I was only able to watch some Lupin here and there while i was young. I can finally get my hands on the series but not sure where to start.

Lupin has no continuity to speak of and any back story that is presented is only valid for that story and even that might get tossed out before the end credits roll. The charm of the series is the interplay between the five characters and the situations they find themselves in. The recommendations that Maou gave aren't a bad place to start at all.

On the subject of favorite Lupin films, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Legend of the Gold of Bablyon ルパン三世 バビロンの黄金伝説. It's co-directed by Seijun Suzuki and does it ever show. The most striking bit is the opening sequence where Lupin drives a motorcycle around on top of a giant billboard of a clown. The scene is pointless, interminable, and not in the least bit entertaining but it has to be seen to be believed.

Professor
4275th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):New 2015 Lupin trailer" , posted Sun 26 Apr 10:47post reply

quote:
Lupin has no continuity to speak of and any back story that is presented is only valid for that story and even that might get tossed out before the end credits roll. The charm of the series is the interplay between the five characters and the situations they find themselves in. The recommendations that Maou gave aren't a bad place to start at all.

That reminds me-- there's one Lupin anime that's not too well-known called "Green vs Red" that was created for ther series' 40th anniversary. It's considered to be the most contraversial in the Lupin series for a number of reasons, one of them being that, it says that all the Lupins we've seen thus far are actually different people and there's only one true Lupin at a given time.

Given that Lupin has subtle differences in his looks on every release up to date (they're done by different art directors after all) it's an interesting take on explaining why. There's a lot of meta-symbolizm in this anime, like how all of the members of the Lupin family have actually passed their baton to a younger imitator, similarly to their voice actors. The only exception is Jigen, who doesn't look a day old and keeps complaining how he's getting too old for this.

Here's a wallpaper that someone made from the anime. Can anyone spot the Cagliostro Lupin?

Maou
2778th Post

"Re(7):New 2015 Lupin trailer" , posted Sun 26 Apr 11:15post reply

quote:
"Green vs Red"
Good memory, Prof! While on one hand I didn't understand a word of what was going on and have limited tolerance for psychobabble, Green vs. Red was probably still more interesting than any of the TV specials after Operation: Return the Treasures in 2003.

Spoon
2851th Post

"Re(7):New 2015 Lupin trailer" , posted Sun 26 Apr 13:34post reply

quote:

That reminds me-- there's one Lupin anime that's not too well-known called "Green vs Red" that was created for ther series' 40th anniversary. It's considered to be the most contraversial in the Lupin series for a number of reasons, one of them being that, it says that all the Lupins we've seen thus far are actually different people and there's only one true Lupin at a given time.

Given that Lupin has subtle differences in his looks on every release up to date (they're done by different art directors after all) it's an interesting take on explaining why. There's a lot of meta-symbolizm in this anime, like how all of the members of the Lupin family have actually passed their baton to a younger imitator, similarly to their voice actors. The only exception is Jigen, who doesn't look a day old and keeps complaining

That is cool with respect to Lupin (in a sort of Zorro/Dread Pirate Roberts/etc. sort of way!), but it means that they had to find equally vivacious and skilled substitutes for Fujiko and Goemon each time, which is where it gets weird.

Was it actually stated that those are all "true" Lupins or that they are just copycats/pretenders? And is becoming the "true" Lupin something that they actually agree on, or just that character saying that that is what he would become if he became the most infamous?

In any case, the Golgo-esque Lupin in the top right of that picture is the best.

Maou
2779th Post

"Isn't it Lupantic?" , posted Mon 27 Apr 02:08post reply

quote:

Was it actually stated that those are all "true" Lupins or that they are just copycats/pretenders?
Actually, the Green vs. Red theme was arguably done in a more subtle manner by a far better director: Miyazaki himself. Many years ago, I read an interesting piece of critical theory concerning the brief return of Miyazaki (green jacket, first series, Cagliostro) to direct two of the final episodes of the second series (red jacket), either by Risaku Kiridooshi or Shizuka Inoue, can't recall which. The piece suggested that Miyazaki's episodes subtly critiqued the direction of the second series itself: Lupin is never seen wearing the red jacket, and the series finale (Ep. 155: Farewell, Dear Lupin) features evil Lupin gang imposters terrorizing Tokyo, while Lupin is disguised as Zenigata the whole time to take them down---vaguely hinting that these imposters were what we watched for the entire red jacket series. Never explicit, but an interesting reading.

Ishmael
5146th Post

"Re(1):Isn't it Lupantic?" , posted Mon 27 Apr 07:16post reply

I didn't mind the concept in Green vs Red of having Lupin be a legacy character like the Phantom. Since Lupin continuity resets at the end anyway they might as well try something different once in awhile and use the story to tweak the wildly different styles and tone Lupin has had over the years. But what turned me off from the story was the idea that the Lupins had to hunt down and kill each other in order to take over the mantle. One theme that has almost always been with Lupin is the idea that Lupin is an inspirational figure who lets people imagine an escape from the crushing social norms of the world through his carefree attitude. That message is blunted when there's only one person in the world who can enjoy life and everyone else has to queue up for the quickening blood match. It partially makes sense since with a serialized story you have to be willing to toss parts of the past in order to progress but it still felt like the themes in Green vs Red were too often working at cross purposes.

Still, it's better than Return of the Magician. To this day I have no idea what they were going for with that one.

quote:
(Ep. 155: Farewell, Dear Lupin)

My big takeaway from that episode was that Goemon performs Ukyo's rasetsu super from SS3 all the way back in 1981.

nobinobita
1396th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):New 2015 Lupin trailer" , posted Wed 6 May 15:42post reply

quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA3jsUnwUyw

The art style has a mellow pseudo-old-yet-new look? It'd be interesting to hear what nobi and everyone thinks!

On a side note, this would be an opportune moment as well to talk on favorite Lupin films. The Castle of Cagliostro is the most well-known, but there's so many.

Aw thanks for thinking of me Professor. Here are my quick thoughts on this trailer.

-The music is great!
-The drawings are great!
-Actual animation looks pretty good so far.
-I'm not a fan of all the really digital looking touches. Too many gradients (like the light beams in the church), some of the colors are a bit too saturated for my tastes, the light trails on the car are obviously computer generated. It all feels very cold and contrasts sharply with the warmth of the really hand made looking drawings.
-Again, drawings look great, I'm really glad there are still animators who are able to work in old school styles where character construction is more subtle and nuanced.
-They are quite bold to use outlines on the backgrounds. This makes it more difficult for the characters to stand out on top of the backgrounds. When done wrong it makes everything feel cheap and lack contrast. When done right it has the feeling of a moving illustration. Redline did this SUPER WELL, though in redline I think it was also so that they could do totally hand drawn panning shots without breaking immersion. In this latest Lupin Film they use a lot of 3d, but it's well integrated like Bravely Default or those 90s Disney "Deep Canvas" shots.

Glad to see they've been keeping the animation in Lupin pretty consistently excellent and interesting these last few years

www.art-eater.com

Maou
2886th Post

"BLUE JACKET, ON AIR" , posted Sun 13 Sep 03:26:post reply

AT LAST! I'd entirely stopped following the new Lupin III TV series (let's call it "blue jacket") when there didn't seem to be any news from the early Italian release...but that's because their "early" release fell all the way back to two weeks ago, August 30! A new video went up for the occasion.

Japanese broadcast starts a mere month later on October 1st! Broadcasters here: NTV has it playing late-night at 1:29am, which seems about right.

I also hadn't even kept up with the staff beyond the promising directors who seemed to have a better sense of Monkey Punch's sexy-violent-funny ethos than anyone in recent memory, and certainly than the people behind the gorgeous but awful Fujiko series. And praise be to Mamo, Ohno Yuji is the composer for more than just the opening theme, sparing us the earsplitting nonsense of the Fujiko effort!

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 13 Sep 03:32]

Ishmael
5270th Post

"Re(1):BLUE JACKET, ON AIR" , posted Sun 13 Sep 10:50post reply

I need this! What amazes me is that Kiyoshi Kobayashi is still playing Jigen. Now that is dedication to a role.

Maou
2889th Post

"Re(2):BLUE JACKET, ON AIR" , posted Sun 13 Sep 11:08:post reply

quote:
I need this! What amazes me is that Kiyoshi Kobayashi is still playing Jigen.
My Lupanic heart trembles in fear when I think of him retiring. I realize that his voice actually matters to me more than anyone's in the show, and it struck me with the delivery of some of his lines in the mediocre-but-occasionally-brilliant Jigen's Gravestone. (「お前がどれだけ軽い銃を使おうが知ったこっちゃないが、俺に言わせりゃロマンに欠けるな」="No business of mine how lightweight that gun is you're using, but if you ask me, it ain't got no style.")

Zenigata and Fujiko's replacements are better (heresy alert!) than their august predecessors in their later years, Kurita is a perfectly adequate successor to Yamada, and it never mattered much what Goemon said, but Kobayashi as Jigen...there's the core of proper Monkey Punch-style Lupin right there.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 14 Sep 05:47]

Maou
2920th Post

"A most Lupantic Blue Jacket debut" , posted Wed 7 Oct 15:47:post reply

In the finest Iggy-blogging/Polly-blogging tradition: MAOU-BLOGGING

I'm five days late! That's okay, because I bring good tidings: the Blue Jacket series is at least 95% delightful!

The Sounds!
The very first thing you'll notice is the percussive energy of Ohno Yuuji's score: in the outstanding opening (with an appropriately Italian flair for the San Marino setting), in the call-backs to classic tracks like the harp piece from the butterfly scene in Mamo/Lupin vs. the Clone, and everywhere else. Ohno is clearly acutely aware that he's composing for a big, brassy new TV series and not another slipshod, lifeless TV special. The energy from the music alone is incredible. Dear MOK-KOS, still not convinced? Okay! The infinitely classy end theme, "I Won't Love You if You Don't Say It Right," is sung by legendary enka artist Ishikawa Sayuri (!!!) as a bar singer within the show's diegesis (!!!!). This is THE classiest goddamn thing you have heard on TV since "Love Squall" when you were young/possibly not born. Go listen right the heck right now! I'll know if you don't.

The Sights!
Propelled by the superb music is a gorgeously animated cast, joyfully integrating the beautiful designs of the first TV series pre-Miyazaki/Takahata, AND the gangly men and sexy women of the comic and Mamo/Clone, AND Miyazaki's Cagliostro sensibility, right down to the opening's nod to Lupin and Jigen's iconic car wanderings in Cagliostro while "Treasure of the Flame" plays. Everything has weight and beauty, achieving the dream of the Fujiko TV series but gloriously absent of that show's wretched, pretentious, and out-of-character content.

The Style!
Truth be told, the first episode starts out a bit slow and Lupin seems like a sap, but it eventually gets frenetic and the overall atmosphere is the most authentic Lupin experience in years. Based on the music, art, and style alone, Blue Jacket creators Tomonaga Kazuhide, Yano Yuuichirou, and Takahashi Yuuya show the best understanding of Lupin's essence since Mamo/Clone, Miyazaki (excepting his Fujiko treatment), and Dead or Alive. Zenigata is sharp, the women are gorgeous and the men are bowlegged, there's positivism in the visuals (real cars, real guns, real cigarettes), and the often forgotten but all-important disguises emphasized in the second comic series are out in force. Little call-outs to the classics abound, like the typed episode title card and the old-time Monkey Punch- and Red Jacket-inspired commercial breaks, but without feeling like dull imitation.

The Time!
For watching, I know you have your ways of obtaining the files you want (you are Lupantic, after all), but you can also watch live from abroad via Keyhole TV, an experimental Japanese TV broadcasting portal originally supported by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications. The show airs late Thursday night/early Friday morning at 1:29am Japan Time on NTV.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 7 Oct 16:17]

IkariDC
791th Post

PSN: Ikari_DC
XBL: IkariDC
Wii: Toolazytolookitup

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):A most Lupantic Blue Jacket debut" , posted Wed 7 Oct 16:11post reply

As a fellow Lupin aficionado, I'm so looking forward to this, specially after reading you praising it. I must admit I loved 'A woman called Fujiko Mine', even if I agree that some of the character's personality was out of place, but it was bearable. Didn't like all the nudity when Fujiko is all about tease!

Maybe you already posted about it when it was out but I recently watched Kitamura's live action take on Lupin. I'd love to hear you tear it into oblivion your take on it. I think there was more wrong than good on it, I absolutely missed Ohno's score in there even more than Lupin's sideburns...

Maese
787th Post

"Re(1):A most Lupantic Blue Jacket debut" , posted Wed 7 Oct 17:16post reply

quote:
Maou's Lupantic blogging

Great minds think alike, it seems!

I just watched the 1st episode yesterday and was thinking about sharing my impressions on the Cafe, but our resident Demon Lord just beat me to it and there is little else a mere mortal could add.

For what's worth, his review pretty much nails it: the show looks, sounds and feels amazing. Nowadays you don't get to see anime like this anymore. It is an incredible feat to have such production values and art style on this time and age. Nobi would be able to give a more technical explanation, but this new Lupin series just seems to have been crafted on the golden era of late 80s/early90s. With this and the recent One Punch Man (even if they play in completely different leagues), it seems there is still hope for the Japanese animation industry after all.

Let me add just two things:

1-) The ending song is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS and as classy as it gets. Since I got to watch the episode through questionable Lupanic means, due to "technical" reasons I had completely missed it, so special thanks to Maou for the discovery! I shall build you an altar and sacrifice a couple of blonde haired Italic virgins to thank you for this.

2-) While pretty different from the original, I must say the Italian OP also has its charm. At the very least, it is much in tune with the Italian atmosphere of the show. An it's pretty danceable too!

Ishmael
5287th Post

"Re(2):A most Lupantic Blue Jacket debut" , posted Thu 8 Oct 10:09post reply

Thank you for the write up! I'm certain I'm going to have to go to Lupin-esque lengths to see this show ASAP but that's just the price one has to pay for being a Lupin fan.
quote:
Kitamura's live action movie

I watched the movie while in an airplane of all places. Even allowing for me not being at my best due to the pressurized air I thought it was dreadful. Kitamura is the Michael Bay of Japan in not only the way he promotes spectacle over comprehension but in the way he would so willingly allow the movie to be influenced by outside interests. For no rhyme or reason the film was stuffed with actors from around Asia. I don't know if they were there in an attempt to appeal to foreign markets or the film had a lot of non-Japanese investors but more often than not the characters they played felt shoehorned in. The most obvious example of this was the part played by Jerry Yan. His character was touted as the lifelong friend and rival of Lupin. But after spending an exorbitant amount of screen time with this guy he blew himself up in the final act and no one in the cast mourned or even mentioned his name again. (There may be spoilers in this post.) If the movie is going to go through the trouble of introducing a character they could at least see his story arc through to a satisfying resolution. I do believe it's possible to bring the animated energy to a live action film -Shun Oguri was certainly game enough to jump around as best he could- but this wasn't the film Lupin deserves.

As a side note I also tried to watch one of Peter Jackson's Hobbit films while on that flight. At some point I turned it off and decided I would much rather stare blankly into space than watch another minute of that movie. So while I may not have cared for live Lupin I at least made it through the entire running time.

Maou
2922th Post

"Re(3):A most Lupantic Blue Jacket debut" , posted Thu 8 Oct 12:12:post reply

Maou-blogging Round Two: DEAD OR ALIVE

Ishmael: Your movie assessment sounds right on the money. I remember seeing the ads for it and being utterly put off by it as a pointless endeavor. Animation takes the James Bond/Spy vs. Spy dynamic of the comic and gives it wings to go completely nuts. Why would I chain it to the ground again? Live action adaptations of animation bore me to tears.

IkariDC: You've been very bad for neglecting the Cafe for so long, but fear not: sensei will still give you a passing grade if you force yourself to re-watch the terrible Fujiko series as part of an analytical essay on why it is inferior in every way to Blue Jacket.

More seriously, the nudity of the Fujiko TV series isn't a problem at all since it's perfectly reflective of her style in the comics and Mamo/Clone, but there's so many more issues: the total キャラ崩壊/destruction of the characters' credibility that goes far beyond a "different take." As Ishmael has noted, what is Lupin III if not an opportunity to enjoy how distinct character personalities interact when placed in a virtually infinite collection of different scenarios? If you destroy these characters, what's left other than spy intrigue that has been done better in a different episode already? Putting aside the overwrought story and the pointlessness of Oscar, the degradation of Zenigata into a dirty cop is unwatchable, and Fujiko's routine slaughtering of police and security guards goes against a Lupin tenet so basic as to have been established even in the anything-goes original comic series: Lupin (and his gang) doesn't kill police. The positivism of the series is undermined in an otherwise enjoyable Cuban Missile Crisis episode where stupid fake names are used as obvious stand-ins for major countries. You don't realize how important it is that Lupin travels to the (real) countries of the world and drives a Benz or a Fiat and uses a Walther P-38 until you see how a poor director flubbing it takes you straight out of the action.

The art looks more like Lupin than anything in years, but these people are even worse imposters than the evil Lupin impersonators in "Farewell, Dear Lupin" mentioned in an earlier post. Adding insult to injury is the handling of the hideous child abuse subplot: it was bad enough that the creators rammed this garbage in there, but to back out in the end and say "actually, this never happened to Fujiko anyway" is beyond perplexing...what was the point of making me suffer through this, then? No spoiler markers because I am all about making sure as few people ever want to watch the Fujiko series as possible.

And the grim music sucks sucks sucks. Which brings us to...

Maese: I've always known you were a kind man from when we hang out, and now I know for sure that you have the most forgiving of hearts. I just can't dig the Italian opening's jarring sound and splicing of in-show footage and the promo trailer. It's all the more egregious given that the Japanese opening is the finest the show has ever had. Oh well, I guess there have been stupider adapations of iconic openings over the years.

Back to things that make me happy: next Blue Jacket episode in twelve hours. Get on it!

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 8 Oct 12:26]

IkariDC
792th Post

"Re(4):A most Lupantic Blue Jacket debut" , posted Thu 8 Oct 16:26post reply

Yeah, shame on me for neglecting the Cafe for so long. But you know, a long time a go I decided I spent too much time "wasting" time on the internet so I when at home I focused all my free time to gaming and watching movies, etc. The only time I spend browsing the net is while commuting on trains, for the most part that would be reading twitter, which I tailored around my gaming needs. Reading/posting on a forum is too clunky an experience to do on the phone, I'm afraid...

I agree on everything stated on Kitamura's take, but I kind of enjoy his movies so I had to watch it. It's much much better than the previous White Jacket Lupin movie which made me cringe and stopped watching halfway, and that's something I rarely do!

I have to say I enjoyed 'The woman called Mine Fujiko' mainly for it's art direction and animation quality. It's a visual fest! I found the plot entertaining enough and the changes not too offending, I kind of bought the 'different take' excuse. The only thing I hated was once again, Yuji Ohno being absent.

I hope you can forgive me for having so low standards!

Spoon
3089th Post

"Re(5):A most Lupantic Blue Jacket debut" , posted Fri 9 Oct 00:46post reply

For some reason, I get a strong feeling of Redline's trans-am that JP drove in the new Lupin's OP before it opens up to reveal everybody's favourite Fiat.

Maou
2923th Post

"Re(5):A most Lupantic Blue Jacket debut" , posted Fri 9 Oct 01:10:post reply

quote:
I hope you can forgive me for having so low standards!

Psh, I'm no arbiter on Lupin or good taste, I just write rambly things! You should enjoy whatever seems good, don't mind me. Thinking about it now, while I found the music in Fujiko unpleasant, I doubt that Ohno's peppy style would have worked with the show's atmosphere, which also strove to be unpleasant. It's interesting to think about how much impact Ohno's scores have, to the point that even the very well-done Green Jacket series doesn't feel energentic enough when going back to it because Ohno's not there. It sure adds a lot to Blue Jacket, and I guess he's working with his full You and the Explosion Band, which might explain how the sound feels so full.

Oh no! No to White Jacket, no to the peculiar joys of Strange Psycho-kinetic Strategy? Just kidding (or am I?!). I should probably watch it one day.

Spoon: Good eye. Remember how the first episode of Green Jacket had this weird F-1 racing motif, based on an issue of the comic, which never appeared again?

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 9 Oct 01:12]

IkariDC
793th Post

"Re(6):A most Lupantic Blue Jacket debut" , posted Fri 9 Oct 16:32post reply

Maybe Ohno wasn't the perfect match for that show, but maybe he could adapt and offer something different to his usual output and blow us away.

Maybe watching Strange Psychokinetic Strategy will make you appreciate Kitamura's movie more! That would also be a part in the ongoing analytical essay we started, of course.

Maou
2932th Post

"Re(7):A most Lupantic Blue Jacket debut" , posted Sun 11 Oct 14:49post reply

Maou-blogging 2.5: Fujiko's Unlucky Days

I'm late again. The very high quality animation, sound, and scriptwriting continue, and with a soccer episode that I'm sure drove the Italian audience wild...or maybe they're just fooling around with the early episodes until people realize that the show is actually airing at 1:30am.

One of the most clever things about giving Blue Jacket a specific setting in San Marino is that the world can feel more lived-in and the staging less rushed even with usual one-off episodes. There's time for the appealing touches that are usually only delivered by a full-length movie or a genius director like Miyazaki in his "Albatross: Wings of Death" cameo episode in Red Jacket: Lupin and Jigen are seen eating pasta and just hanging around, without having to rush from scene to scene in a setting that has only 22 minutes to be established and then never used again.

So while it's a drag that Fujiko, featured promisingly in all kinds of ways in the opening credits, has a very minimal presence thus far, and Zenigata is still mostly slinking around without causing too much trouble yet, you kind of know that they're all "in the area." Rather than resenting the new characters as irritating distractions like they were (or maybe still are, I've long since given up) in the TV specials, I find them interesting bits of color in a living breathing Lupantic Italy. Oh, and why not post these:

Episode 2 Preview: The Fake Fantasista
Episode 3 Preview: Survival Rate 0.2%

Ishmael
5288th Post

"Re(8):A most Lupantic Blue Jacket debut" , posted Tue 13 Oct 04:19post reply

I don't think I would classify the Fujiko series as a full success but I wouldn't call it a failure either. For me it all comes down to the problem/advantage that there is no definitive version of Lupin. Is the initial manga episodes where Lupin is a straight-up murderer and rapist the version of the character that all others must pay heed? Is the television episode where Lupin became fascinated with the Christopher Reeve version of Superman essential to his character? The temperament of the characters changes with the whims of the author. So the "true" version of Lupin will vary from person to person and is often a hodgepodge of several sources. Lupin has always survived these many interpretations (even when Lupin hasn't) and I don't see that stopping any time soon.

So for the Fujiko series it may not have been "my" characters but I've always viewed Fujiko as the most ruthless of the five characters so it worked for me that she would be perfectly willing to put down anyone who got in her way in addition to her usual robbery, gold digging and double-dealing. I thought the whole child abuse angle was disappointing first because it seemed like a trite way to explain Fujiko's reckless behavior. Then at the end when the whole thing turned out to be a big shaggy dog story I audibly groaned but it seemed perfectly fitting for the world of Lupin. None of it was true but all of it was true; somehow the franchise has run for decades with that charming lack of concern.

Maou
2945th Post

"Re(9):A most Lupantic Tornado" , posted Sat 24 Oct 14:15:post reply

Maou-blogging round 3: Ishmael Jigen edition
quote:
None of it was true but all of it was true; somehow the franchise has run for decades with that charming lack of concern.
Ishmael, you are a paragon of reason, as usual. Even if the Fujiko series' red herrings are particularly unpleasant, they do fit in the "finish story...now, ignore, reset!" spirit of the series. First Contact did it best, with the cast walking away from the reporter they "told" the whole show to, leaving her to doubt the veracity of the origin story. Still, I think there is some baseline characterizaton (even the first comic establishes Lupin's "no killing cops/women" code very early on) that the Fujiko series throws out, to its detriment. Speaking of Ishmael, er, Jigen:

With the Jigen-only Episode 4, Blue Jacket continues to excel with little diversions made convincing by the established setting in San Marino. And here, we have Jigen at his very best, right down to a renditition of "Tornado" that comes at just the right moment to elicit stand-up-and-cheer levels of excitement. During a brief appearance, Zenigata is played correctly as a master cop, identifying Jigen by the shells of his gun ("These .357 Magnum bullets speak to me...and they tell me that this was his work...") and simultaenously underlining Blue Jacket's commitment to real-life objects that the Fujiko series so greviously lacked. We're promised a Fujiko-centric episode next time that will be the test of whether the series is as sexy as its creators advertised. On that note:

Episode 4 preview: A Gun for This Hand of Mine (a nod to a book of the same name by female detective novelist Takamura Kaoru)
Episode 5 preview: The Magician's Left Hand

I feel bad rambling on about the show without an international version available. Or rather, I did see there's a chuckle-inducing fansub of Episode 2 by a well-meaning young 18 year-old, but it brings up nostalgia of the weaker side of the 1990s American fansub scene in all the wrong ways by being completely off. It's not Lupin Gang Anime level, to be sure. I'm sure someone will eventually screen it internationally, but I think the art and sound alone are enough for anyone to enjoy.

Note to Maese and others: Hulu Japan is now running delayed broadcasts so you don't have to stay up till the witching hour or get too Lupantic in your viewing methods.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 24 Oct 15:05]

Maese
788th Post

"Re(10):A most Lupantic Tornado" , posted Mon 26 Oct 10:50post reply

quote:
Note to Maese and others: Hulu Japan is now running delayed broadcasts so you don't have to stay up till the witching hour or get too Lupantic in your viewing methods.

Thanks for the info! Lupantic means are, by nature, pretty hit or miss, so it's nice to know there are more stable methods to watch the show.

And I must say I'm enjoying it very much so far! It's wonderful to see how they are keeping the quality level of the first episode; it's been a while since the last time I saw such gorgeous visuals on a TV series. Now, this is the cool, classy Japanese animation I knew and loved since I was a little kid.

Ishmael
5296th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):A most Lupantic Tornado" , posted Tue 27 Oct 01:04post reply

Thanks so much for the posting Maou! Your enthusiasm for the series is infectious and your critiques have been spot-on. I'm slowly getting caught up on the series through Lupin-ish means and it's looking to be a great ride.

Ishmael
5298th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):A most Lupantic Tornado" , posted Thu 29 Oct 03:54post reply

Now that I'm finally caught up on the latest Lupin I have a few random thoughts.

The characters:

Lupin himself is a tough character to balance out but so far the show has done a great job of finding the right tone for his actions. From the goofiness he displays in everyday actions to the smirking self-confidence he has when the action starts Lupin has been a good mix of his sometimes contradictory character traits. I'm also glad to see Lupin is still quite willing to hop out of his clothes at a moment's notice. The series has a noble tradition of characters running down the middle of the street naked so I'm glad to see that Lupin is out there giving the people what they want.

Zenigata is another character who can easily veer off too far in one direction, usually into the realm of being too silly. I like the serious Zenigata that debuted in the Fujiko series but I also appreciate that the Zenigata in this show is still a moment away from flying off the handle when Lupin gets the best of him or he finds himself in a social situation that falls outside of his insane work ethic. Hopefully this stoic but manic Zenigata sticks around.

I'm glad to see that the creators of this latest Lupin series remembered the trope that the giggly girls go for Lupin while Jigen attracts sophisticated, intellectual women. In the world of Lupin socialites and doctors find a guy who undoubtedly stinks of bourbon and cigarettes irresistible.

Fujiko is still a bit of a mystery. So far all she's done is a bit of motorcycle racing so I'm curious to see what the writers do with her when she has her own episode. At least her odd, open relationship with Lupin is still going strong, even after he bungled his way into marriage during the first episode.

Goemon is also another character who I'm still waiting to hear more from. I do like that the first episode directly acknowledged how naïve Goemon can be. For a career criminal he is often honest to a fault. It also appears that Goemon still has his propensity for randomly wandering in and out of storylines.

The setting:

Having all the action take place in one location was done for financing reasons but it also has a number of benefits as well. First, the setting feels very certain. Sometimes when Lupin would go globe-hopping you could tell the animators were winging it with the backgrounds. Here, everything looks well thought out. Whether or not it is accurate to Italy is not for me to say but it's a well defined space. The one location also gives the guest characters time to breathe and develop. A problem Lupin sometimes has is developing memorable guest characters since everyone outside of the main cast gets booted once the end credits roll. With multiple episodes in the same setting characters such as Mrs. Lupin or not-Bond have enough screen time to become memorable.

A minor thing, but it's also interesting to see this story is set in the present day when the Fujiko series was set in the sixties. No matter the decade Lupin will wear the exact same cut of suit.

Spoon
3112th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):A most Lupantic Tornado" , posted Thu 29 Oct 04:52post reply

The skinny pants highlighting bowlegged-skinny legs on the guys long ago stopped being a fashion trait and became more of a character trait, but the skinny pants to me are way more of a fashion element than the suits.

Lupin's suit is abstract enough and changes shape with his movement enough that it can seem more or less perpetually modern/classic, whereas the pants are much more definite. Those skinny dress pants would be perfectly fashionable in the 60's, rather odd in the 80's, a touch hip in the 00's, etc.

Maou
2980th Post

""He stole something precious...your heart"" , posted Tue 17 Nov 17:26post reply

Maou Blogging 4: "[Blue Jacket] stole something incredibly precious...your heart!" edition

Come along, dear Lupantics, for more ruminations on Blue Jacket, whether you want them or not! First, to get into the proper sneaking mood, put on "The Sound of Evil Footsteps" from the very first movie when Jigen's being trailed by the CIA somewhere in South America. You can listen to Ishikawa Sayuri's incomprehensibly perfect ending theme, "I Won't Love You If You Don't Say It Right" next. (The low-quality non-PR version on Youtube is at 125% speed and ruins the sound of her deep enka voice that turns out to be perfectly suited to noir-ish jazz.)

Seven episodes in, I continue to marvel at the production values and most of all at the freedom that having a continuous setting have added to the show. Lupin and Jigen just sit around and eat while plotting, the new characters have time to wander in and out of the story without being rushed and actually add something for once, and there's an overall sense of direction without it detracting from the daily heists. The best analogue is, ironically, the heavily Lupin-influenced Cowboy Bebop. There's a sense of Zenigata spending time wandering around in pursuit of these impossibly gifted screw-ups and inquiring among random people, and I love seeing how MI-6's Nix's weird facial expressions vary so wildly. Unexpectedly, the new female character, Rebecca, is a delight rather than a powerless annoyance.

Driven by these advantages and innovations, the show can relax into something that feels quite...Lupantic, with classic but often missing elements present: 1) Episodes six and seven are...very funny! I don't think I've had this consistent a sense of fun and (actually funny) humor since the third Pink Jacket TV series, really. 2) Zenigata is gloriously capable and noble in a way he hasn't been since Dead or Alive, kicking the shit out of low-level villainy purely incidentally while facing off with Lupin as a serious threat. I don't think I've ever seen Jigen and Zenigata with guns aimed at each other before. 3) Lupin and Jigen actually get away with major thefts the way they're supposed to! 4) Disguises and triple-crosses abound.

Goemon has been blessedly absent given that his range is fairly limited, though Fujiko still seems strangely underused despite being one of her most appealing iterations ever. The show airs at 1:30 at night, she's naked in the opening, she has a wonderful new voice actress in recent years, yet they don't seem bold enough to use her...does Miyazaki's asexual curse persist 43 years later? Unless they are clipping things out of the show to sell more DVD's per the degraded industry trend of the last decade, I don't get it. At least she and Lupin have an actual spark between them and work as a team at times rather than her being totally uninterested, a dynamic frequently forgotten in the past by the same types of lesser directors who cast Zenigata as a fool.

Now, who will talk about the artistic direction? Super Nobi Bros., I choose you!

Episode 6 preview: Until the Full Moon Passes
Episode 7 preview: Zapping Operation
Episode 8 preview: Welcome to the Haunted Hotel
quote:
The skinny pants highlighting bowlegged-skinny legs on the guys long ago stopped being a fashion trait and became more of a character trait
I still run bowleggedly on purpose when getting into lighthearted trouble, and Lupin is one of the main reasons I have a tie clip. Next time I'm in France I'm buying the red Lupin jacket I saw there a decade ago from H&M and foolishly failed to buy.

Ishmael
5359th Post

"He stole something precious, your Crunchyroll" , posted Fri 8 Jan 11:43post reply

FYI, Lupin is now being streamed and simulcast on Crunchyroll. What a great way to start off the new year.

Maou
3029th Post

"He stole something precious, your Crunchyroll" , posted Fri 8 Jan 14:10:post reply

quote:
FYI, Lupin is now being streamed and simulcast on Crunchyroll. What a great way to start off the new year.

Superb find, superb thread title! Many of you are fifteen episodes truant, but if you submit a book report here with your reflections on Blue Jacket within a week, there will be no detention.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 8 Jan 14:12]

nobinobita
1537th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):He stole something precious, your Crunc" , posted Sat 9 Jan 03:01:post reply

quote:

I just signed up for Crunchyroll but Lupin is nowhere to be seen!

I think it may be blocked in Thailand cos I recall watching Kill La Kill on there in the US, and that's not showing up for me either. I tried using a VPN to no avail.

On the bright side while looking for Lupin i finally got to see La Maison en Petits Cubes, which in 2008 won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short as well as the grand prize for short films at Annecy.

I'd always assumed La Maison en Petits Cubes was French cos of the title as well as the drawing style. However it was actually produced by ROBOT Communications Inc, a Japanese indie animation/film studio that did all the incredible cinematics for the Onimusha series amongst many other impressive projects. The opening to Onimusha 3 is still my favourite cg animation ever.

Upon actually watching Le Maison en Petit Cubes, although it's intentionally "French as Fuck" as some have put it, it still feels super Japanese. Something about the movement and pacing and especially the music.

In any case, I guess I'll have to go through less legitimate avenues to get my Lupin fix. I'll letcha guys know my thoughts once I'm caught up!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 9 Jan 03:27]

Iggy
10094th Post

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"He stole something precious, your thread" , posted Sat 9 Jan 08:28post reply

Speaking of hijacking, I don't think anyone here watches the Monogatari series (BakeMG, NiseMG, OwariMG, etc)?
It's a cleverly overwritten series about people talking to themselves very fast for 20 minutes. I like it, and mostly use it to work on my oral Japanese skills (I mean, the "understanding someone talking" part), though the painful loli bits are difficult to go through.

The scenario is still very good, but the quality has lowered at each new season. Fortunately, the three-parter movie is made by Shaft's A team, and it shows (well, not really in the teaser, but that's the best there is on Youtube).

More importantly, this A team includes the Yoshinari brothers, whose body of work include the other aesthetically ambitious RPG based on the Valkyrie mythology, amongst other things.
I am quite eager to see the result.

Professor
4724th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re: He stole something precious, your thread" , posted Mon 11 Jan 14:10post reply

A new years anime special titled Lupin the third: Italian Game aired in Japan this past weekend. The show basically took the first few episodes of the current TV series and added a few new characters to give it additional storyline, but if you've seen the current series you probably aren't missing out on much.

However, the Intro-- which features a whole bunch of scenes that have no relation to the actual show, is really really good. In fact I think it was the best part of the whole show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGp-bGtJyPc

Spoon
3201th Post

"Re(1):He stole something precious, your threa" , posted Tue 12 Jan 04:21post reply

quote:
Speaking of hijacking, I don't think anyone here watches the Monogatari series (BakeMG, NiseMG, OwariMG, etc)?
It's a cleverly overwritten series about people talking to themselves very fast for 20 minutes. I like it, and mostly use it to work on my oral Japanese skills (I mean, the "understanding someone talking" part), though the painful loli bits are difficult to go through.

The scenario is still very good, but the quality has lowered at each new season. Fortunately, the three-parter movie is made by Shaft's A team, and it shows (well, not really in the teaser, but that's the best there is on Youtube).

More importantly, this A team includes the Yoshinari brothers, whose body of work include the other aesthetically ambitious RPG based on the Valkyrie mythology, amongst other things.
I am quite eager to see the result.

I watched some but not all of BakeMG. I was quite taken with how good it looked, but it seemed like the stories were all about cute girls going to a therapist, which isn't necessarily bad, but it didn't grab me at the time for whatever reason. It wasn't poorly written, it was sharply directed, and it was visually interesting, but I think I had too many things involving parsing long tracts of conversation to want to participate in another one at the time. Still, it was quite interesting to see just how visually interesting a show mostly about conversation could be!

I haven't followed up with any of the latter editions of it.

Iggy
10102th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(2):He stole something precious, your threa" , posted Tue 12 Jan 06:20post reply

quote:
I haven't followed up with any of the latter editions of it.
I don't think you're missing much, it's nothing like the new Eva or Utena or [Lupin]. But apparently the (first) movie is very good, so if you have the occasion, have a look!

Baines
466th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):He stole something precious, your threa" , posted Tue 12 Jan 06:30post reply

quote:

To be fair, wasn't Kizumonogatari first teased years ago, when the series quality was higher?

I'd some time ago figured that they'd finish animating the rest of the novels before they ever got around to releasing the movie for Kizu.

Gojira
3171th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa

"Re(2):He stole something precious, your threa" , posted Tue 12 Jan 07:59:post reply

I've rather consistently watched the Monogatari series since the Shaft anime's inception, but I have a hard time keeping up with it. I am currently attempting to watch OwariMG which is about one of the newer characters, and as usual I have to struggle to remember everything that's happened up until this point. I procrastinate viewing every new addition because I find the series to be quite exhausting, mentally.

Unsurprisingly it's the coarse and shallow things that shine and get referenced, perhaps because the director's true desire was just to make anime about cute girls, or perhaps because when the density of dialogue is beating you over the head with unsettling slow-motion monochrome philosophy you just really need a chance to put your brain to rest and watch Squid Kid drawn in Powerpuff Girls style make reference to Let's Make A Deal

[this message was edited by Gojira on Tue 12 Jan 08:04]

Iggy
10104th Post

"Re(3):He stole something precious, your threa" , posted Tue 12 Jan 08:59post reply

quote:
To be fair, wasn't Kizumonogatari first teased years ago, when the series quality was higher?

I remember reading somewhere an anonymous animator complaining "having your series succeed is both a blessing and a curse, because then you can do another season, but you get less money to do it because the higher-ups consider your audience hooked and you don't need to make your series as pretty anymore". I always wondered whether he spoke of MG or Jojo.
The Kizu MG movie was probably put between brackets when other projects got the priority. Wasn't it when Madoka exploded and they made movies out of it to bank on the title before the well dried? I guess the business tactics is to put all your most skilled hands on movies, not because it makes more money, but because it's a much bigger add for your studio to get more contracts.
Maybe.

quote:
I've rather consistently watched the Monogatari series since the Shaft anime's inception, but I have a hard time keeping up with it. I am currently attempting to watch OwariMG which is about one of the newer characters, and as usual I have to struggle to remember everything that's happened up until this point.
This can help.
Or maybe make it more confusing.
The series did take the broken narrative of Haruhi and broke it into even tinier pieces, as the new web series should show.
quote:
I procrastinate viewing every new addition because I find the series to be quite exhausting, mentally.
I know what you mean, I think I dropped through NiseMG for that reason. If the characters are not interesting / if the Senjôgahara/lesser characters ratio is too low, I struggle to keep up.
But as an exercise, it does its job!

Maou
3035th Post

"Gainax stole something precious, your thread" , posted Tue 12 Jan 09:24:post reply

おのれ、イギィーーーーッ It wasn't enough to break my will in the anti-anti-SaGa thread so thoroughly that I am now listening to Itoken's SaGa Frontier music at this very moment, you also countered my Fuurai No Shiren thread hijack attempt by adulterating the perfection of a Lupin thread with...other animation (that is not Kimagure Orange Road)?! Unpardonable! Or rather, it would be, if it hadn't brought up this:
quote:
you just really need a chance to put your brain to rest and watch Squid Kid drawn in Powerpuff Girls style
This reminds me that it's thanks to Juan that I gave the heavily Powerpuff Girls-influenced Panty and Stocking a spin five years too late, followed by Re: Cutie Honey, and discovered to my delighted surprise that like Bayonetta, these Gainax productions by Imaishi Hiroyuki are astoundingly, heroically feminist while being sexy and funny at the same time. Go watch them immediately and I will absolve you of your Lupin-related sins.

NOW WHERE WAS I

Oh yeah, thanks for the Lupin special heads-up, Prof! They've all been so dismal post-2003 that I'd entirely written them off, but you can't go far wrong with Blue Jacket as your basis. Too bad the opening sequence isn't representative of the entire style, kind of a bait-and-switch. Reminds me of my (extremely limited) encounter with American comic books where the cover artist would be leagues better than the interior illustrators.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 12 Jan 09:32]

Spoon
3202th Post

"Re(1):Gainax stole something precious, your t" , posted Tue 12 Jan 15:03post reply

Apropos of recent events:
Maybe the Red Jacket isn't so bad after all.

Iggy
10105th Post

"Re(1):Gainax stole something precious, your t" , posted Tue 12 Jan 20:40post reply

quote:
Panty and Stocking a spin five years too late, followed by Re: Cutie Honey, and discovered to my delighted surprise
Oh, don't worry, I'm well aware of Re:Honey. I think I had her as an avatar for a while.
I wasn't that impressed by Panty and Stocking, though.

But if we're starting down this road, you'll have to watch Ikuhara Kunihiko's entire body of work, from Utena (a.k.a. the most important feminist work created in Japan, and the most important feminist work created in animated form worldwide) to Yurikuma Arashi (a.k.a. the invasion of lesbian cannibalistic bears from space) and I don't think I have enough slots in my hot line for the emotional support Penguin Drum will require.

Maou
3036th Post

"Penguin stole something precious, your thread" , posted Wed 13 Jan 01:00post reply

quote:
Panty and Stocking a spin five years too late, followed by Re: Cutie Honey, and discovered to my delighted surprise Oh, don't worry, I'm well aware of Re:Honey. I think I had her as an avatar for a while.
I wasn't that impressed by Panty and Stocking, though.
Yahaha, that's right...though the weak live-action doesn't count. Panty and Stocking is an...acquired taste given how crass and raucous it is, but the final episode really cements the sexual liberation theme that runs throughout the show (which, remarkably, doesn't feel exploitative but empowering).

Ikuhara is a champion. Oh my god. P, penguindrummmmmmmmm! Our Buttermonster has a Japanese counterpart, I see.

jUAN
4594th Post

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: WiiU:Buttermonster

"Re(2):Gainax stole something precious, your t" , posted Wed 13 Jan 08:29post reply

quote:
I don't think I have enough slots in my hot line for the emotional support Penguin Drum will require.

Maou
3061th Post

"Isetan stole something precious, your cash" , posted Fri 5 Feb 07:15post reply

Oh Professor, your most Lupantic news is fantastic and dangerous. I really hadn't budgeted 300,000Y for Lupin's suit...

Spoon
3228th Post

"Re(1):Isetan stole something precious, your c" , posted Fri 5 Feb 07:52post reply

quote:
Oh Professor, your most Lupantic news is fantastic and dangerous. I really hadn't budgeted 300,000Y for Lupin's suit...

The Zenigata outfit costs a crazy amount of money if you get it all.

Maou
3062th Post

"Isetan stole something precious, your cash" , posted Fri 5 Feb 10:33post reply

quote:

The Zenigata outfit costs a crazy amount of money if you get it all.

Curiously, the only way to afford the Lupin gang's outfits was to embark on a life of crime. Fitting!

Micky Kusanagi
19th Post

PSN: n/a

New Customer

"Re(1):Isetan stole something precious, your c" , posted Fri 5 Feb 22:11post reply

quote:

...I want those Lupin Gianduiotti. I had some chances to taste Caffarel chocolate, it's so good. And that box is such a nice item I'd do everything I can to keep it in a good condition over time.

I'm also curious about the Grand Marnier pannacotta, I had never heard of alcoholic variations of this dessert...or is the liquor in the strawberries?

The pasta dish has so much stuff in it (that's what I get from Google Translate at least, taleggio and gorgonzola cheese in the sauce) I'd rather have -or serve- the meatballs as a separate meat course LOL

Ore no...kachi da!!

STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Year of the Monkey" , posted Sun 19 Feb 17:24post reply

You thought I forget this thread for exactly a year? Well, maybe I did, but I got back to the vitally important business and am here to tell you about it whether you need to hear it or not. There is no excuse for the light-fingered to miss Blue Jacket now that it's been on Hulu in most countries and also coming to North America via Discotek, the same delightful lunatics who release 40-episode classic television series in inexpensive sets and who are now doing the same for Season 2=Red Jacket in the meantime. This, combined with the new Goemon movie, will drown out the noise from the impossibly stupid live-action Zenigata series. Come with me to San Marino, it's time for:

Maou-blogging Part V: Better than SFV

The further the series goes, the more it benefits from the consistent setting we've all talked about. Oddly enough, it's made Blue Jacket a little like...Cowboy Bebop (which of course borrowed hugely from Lupin in other ways) in terms of having an overall story arc that appeared only occasionally. It feels like an eight-hour movie or a long book. Even the throw-aways are pretty good: episode 9 has Goemon in full assassin mode, per his original design, laying waste to significant numbers of dudes and departing from his usual dull dullard act from TV.

And there's enough space for the add-on Bond girl to actually be interesting and not an irritating distraction from the main cast dynamics: Rebecca gels well with the main case when she's around, and even brings out unexpectedly loving words from Fujiko when fighting over Lupin and some priceless wine in episode 9. This kind of pacing from the common setting even allows interactions among main characters who are seldom paired: when Lupin stays up all night trying to decode a baffling document, Jigen and Fujiko bet a pack of cigarettes whether he'll pull it off, with just the right level of distance. It's a ten-second scene, but there are so many like this that make things feel rich.

By episodes 11 and 12, there's a return to the overall story with the Italian Dream, and animation analysts like Nobi (and all of you!) will continue to enjoy the animators having such fun drawing MI-6 agent Nyx's face whenever he freaks out. I haven't seen such deliciously distorted facial expressions since Dilandau in Escaflowne. The animation itself actually warps through a totally different drawing style for this, and then with yet another new style in episode 12 in Lupin's trancelike state as he decodes a person's entire personality and converses with it in his mind---Lupin hasn't visited Dali-esque dreamscapes since the prison break in Lupin vs. the Clone/Mystery of Mamo.

Episode 9 preview: Assassins' Requiem
Episode 10 preview: The Lovestruck Pig
Episode 11 preview: The Italian Dream Part 1
Episode 12 preview: The Italian Dream Part 2

CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):Year of the Monkey" , posted Thu 23 Feb 00:25post reply

We interrupt Maou's Lupin critique to mention that the great Seijun Suzuki passed away. In addition to his off-kilter live action material he worked a great deal on Lupin, including directing the utterly baffling Legend of the Gold of Babylon.

"Re(2):Year of the Monkey" , posted Thu 23 Feb 08:26post reply

quote:
We interrupt Maou's Lupin critique to mention that the great Seijun Suzuki passed away. In addition to his off-kilter live action material he worked a great deal on Lupin, including directing the utterly baffling Legend of the Gold of Babylon.

Wow, looking at images of it, Tokyo Drifter is almost certainly an aesthetic influence for Killer7. I totally have to watch this guy's movies, they sound rad!

"Re(3):Year of the Suzuki Seijun" , posted Thu 23 Feb 11:44post reply

quote:
What a terrible shame! As Ishmael noted, in addition to Suzuki's role as a general supervisor of iconic second Lupin TV series ("Red Jacket"), there is always the Legend of the Gold of Babylon. It may not be "any good" or "make any sense," but it absolutely has a unique artistic vision that is lacking in many of the useless TV specials. Suzuki also gives Goemon his best line of all time when he refrains from attacking an enemy tank with his iron-cutting sword because a charming woman is driving it: "Zantetsuken cannot cut flowers."

It's a strange twist of fate that Suzuki's odd stuff fell out of favor at Nikkatsu studio shortly before the studio became synonymous with the psychedalic-expressionist Roman Porno genre of pink films! And speaking of strange and wonderful, it's:

Monty Python’s Flying Circus
Maou-blogging Part 6: da Vinci Code

Impressively, the previous story elements of episodes 11-12 continue with the best take I've seen on the "Lupin gets caught" scenario that's been done as early as the 1970s. There are playful nods to how escape's been done before in a quick set of montages foiled by Zenigata before a seeming replay of the solitary confinement scenario, but this time so extreme that only Zenigata is watching over Lupin on a desert island and...cooking for him, adding to the strangely close relationship. I also don't think I've ever seen chiaroscuro used as an escape mechanism before. I also like the nods to classic Green Jacket villains Pycal and Mamou Kyousuke in the new commercial eyecatch.

There's a few duds, but the otherwise good one-shot episodes have high-quality disguisework and genuinely clever switch-outs, and episode 16 might be the funniest Red Jacket-style episode in years when Lupin attempts to take a day off and ends up babysitting dogs, pursuing sushi fruitlessly in Italy, and trying to find gas for his car. Plus we get to see Goemon attempt to drive. Is this another case of reverse-influence by Cowboy Bebop? I believe the legendarily funny Mushroom Samba episode also happened around this time in the season. This lunacy flows easily into an equally nutty, wonderful, Mamo-esque story episode: sure, the show is Italian themed, but never in my wildest dreams did I expect the joy of seeing a villain who is an evil Leonardo da Vinci clone with transplanted memories created by MI-6 who escapes via a fantastic da Vincian flying machine!

Episode 13 preview: Lupin’s Final Moments
Episode 14 preview: Don’t Move the Mona Lisa
Episode 15 preview: actually, skip this one
Episode 16 preview: Lupin's Day Off
Episode 17 preview: yeah, this one is also pretty dumb
Episode 18 preview: The First Supper

"Re(4):Year of the Suzuki Seijun" , posted Thu 23 Feb 12:23:post reply

The episode about Lupin being caught and the nature of Lupin and Zenigata's professional relationship, as well as how Lupin's gang thinks was absolutely brilliant! I think it was my favourite episode of the whole series up until that point when I saw it... last year? However, I have not watched an episode of this series following the episode about Lupin stealing a vintage Italian car and doing nothing but driving around the city with it (episode 20!), because it was the most heartbreaking story about love I had seen in a long time... certainly, it was quite the contrast to all of the fluffy shounen romance anime airing that year (every year...) about awkwardly failing to confess your love to the person of your desires!

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 23 Feb 12:25]

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
CFN: Gojira

"Re(5):Year of the Suzuki Seijun" , posted Thu 23 Feb 15:10post reply

RIP Suzuki Seijun. Perhaps it's for the best that I saw Legend of the Gold of Babylon long before I had any idea what Lupin was even about. Maybe now would be a good time to try and re-watch it in his honor, if I can find an easy way to do that. I must experience this disgust!

As for part 4, Spoon you're not alone in your impression of episode 20. Thankfully the producers of this series had the good sense to follow it with a colorful classic caper in episode 21 that was a throwback to more lighthearted times in more ways than one, with some familiar music to punctuate it. You should forge ahead!

Mosquiton
2262th Post

"Re(6):Year of the Suzuki Seijun" , posted Fri 24 Feb 12:09:post reply

quote:
RIP Suzuki Seijun.

Nothing like stopping by the cafe after a bit of drinking. So, I actually own several of this guys movies. I never watched his Lupin. I was slightly disappointed in Pistol Opera...but only slightly.

Back in the day*, I actually asked Suda if No More Heroes was at all inspired by Branded to Kill with the formalized assassin rankings and ladder climbing and all that. And he was like, "no not really but I did like Battles Without Honor or Humanity."** And I was like, "Huh, well, it's definitely a pretty great movie anyways."

* - I guess sometime in 2008

** - I should specify that this is by a different director and totally unrelated to Suzuki in any way

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Fri 24 Feb 12:11]

"Arrivederci!" , posted Sat 25 Feb 16:19:post reply

You, you all were watching Blue Jacket all along but just weren't saying anything! It is like a surprise birthday party at the end of the day where no one had said anything. I am weeping tears of joy that the Cafe has been engaged with this rare gem!

Maou-blogging Final Round: Unexpectedly Late to the Party

I love how Nyx gets his own animation style when he's enraged, and it's the cool hyper-gritty yet impressionistic animation from the Fujiko TV series. Episode 19 reminds me of how versatile this series is in mixing the many faces of Lupin, having just careened from the hilarous Lupin's Day Off to a quality spy fake-out episode. I also never expected that I would one day have the joy of cheering for Leonardo da Vinci as he blew away the jackass boss of MI-6, but if any series can pull it off, it's Lupin.

And as everyone said, episode 20 is charming. It's a nice example of advanced Lupinology by directors who know the series well enough to mix it up: how creative to have the series' first low-speed chase in a fancy car, and what a classy vignette to surround it. Speaking of chases, among the many parts of the perfect opening credits, I love the tactile pull of the animation cell frames, especially the one of Zenigata chasing everyone where he's almost running in place against the projector.

Interestingly, the detour to Japan in episode 21 shows again what a good choice it was to have a consistent San Marino setting. The self-exoticizing old Japan jokes are funny, but the whole thing feels rushed and underdeveloped after the slow, rich pace of Italia.

Fortunately, things finish out with a most Renaissance flair. Stealing by the power of the mind is like my new martial art now. I'm sure all thieves at the Cafe thought of Lupin vs. the Clone/Mystery of Mamo when Lupin starts running through paintings, and it's so fitting for Italy. And I just know you caught the call-backs to the desert scene in Clone/Mamo and the Cagliostro clock tower.

Like with Bebop, it's almost frustrating not to see more of the main story arc and its particular characters since they're sketched so well, but in both cases, I guess it makes them a special treat. Still, forget Lupin vs. Conan, I'm ready for a Lupin vs. Nyx TV special.

Episode 19 preview: The Dragon Sleeps Quietly
Episode 20 preview: Your Signing Voice, One More Time
Episode 21 preview: From Japan with Love
Episode 22 preview: I'm Coming to Steal Lupin
Episode 23 preview: Anatomy of the World Part I
Episode 24 preview: Anatomy of the World Part II

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 26 Feb 06:14]

Professor
5093th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Lupin invades Isetan, again" , posted Sat 25 Feb 23:04:post reply

Man, this past week or two has been a bit of a Rollercoaster ride for myself with the SNK event and whatnot, and it's certainly unfortunate to hear that Seijun's passed away in the meanwhile.

Coincedently the main branch of Isetan department store here got invaded by Lupin again; I managed to visit the showcase right the day it was closing. Anyhoos this is the second year in a row that the store's got looted by Lupin so they either got serious security flaws or they're hiding serious monkeypunch gems somewhere. I took some snapshots which some Cafer's might be interested in.

Question: Who wants to walk around looking like the pink 1980 anime version of Lupin?

Who wants a Jigen's hat?
I'd actually have bought it if I had a matching jacket.. oh wait, they're selling that too

Quick n' easy way of catching Lupin: booze him down!

Other Photos
The wall of Lupin
Wall of Lupin continues
Lupin in a bottle, zoomed
MonkeyPunch's art looks so different in color
One day they might become priceless as that stamp in Charade
I would've bought the shirt, but it was super pixely low-res
Shinjuku nari, Goemon!

HOLY ZENIGATA egh, a new Tv series.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 25 Feb 23:45]

"Re(1):Lupin invades Isetan again with Prof" , posted Sat 25 Feb 23:48:post reply

Professor, this report is great! I'd heard about the great Isetan heist and was cursing the fact that Interpol has me cornered in San Marino not Tokyo right now. You ought to front page it--I believe there's a few English-language Lupin fan centers online that would enjoy it!
quote:
Question: Who wants to walk around looking like the pink 1980 anime version of Lupin?
I do, I do! I think it would be just counter-cultural enough to do it since many people will have forgotten Pink Jacket and thus you will not be as immediately identifiable as a Lupin cosplayer with a green or red jacket. You will certainly be counter-color with the bad coordination of pink-on-green.
quote:
Jigen's hat was on sale!
I must have it. But since it costs 40,000Y, maybe we'd better split it and do a time-share, or get a graduated loan plan where we finally get to wear it in ten years when we're hard-boiled enough to wear hats all the time.
quote:
HOLY ZENIGATA egh, a new Tv series.

You have spoken 滅びの言葉「バルス」, the Laputan curse Balse, and now we are all doomed. I tried to mention it above and then promptly bury it with Blue Jacket comments. This show never happened.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 26 Feb 06:16]

"Re(2):Lupin invades Isetan again with Prof" , posted Sun 26 Feb 12:23post reply

Maou's continuing reflections on the 4th series, a collection of Lupin fashion and Suda51 admitting he's not hip enough for Seijun Suzuki... this thread is so great someone should steal it!

"Lupin III - PART FIVE" , posted Sat 8 Jul 09:16post reply

Sacré bleu, another new Lupin series has been announced, this time in France, and with the announcement in French! Nice to see Lupin and Jigen hanging around in front of what appears to be Mont Saint-Michel, and appropriate given the French origins of the character. Though apparently he was long known as "Edgar" there...ugh. Better than Cliff Hanger?

I expect the French MMC contingent to keep us updated until Japanese information is available. Like a James Bond outing, Lupin is entirely dependent on the director and his team, but if the beautiful geniuses who brought us Part IV are involved, this rare credit-less version of Ishikawa Sayuri's perfect end song, "I Won't Love You If You Don't Say It Right," will remind you of the profoundly excellent possibilities.

"Re(1):Lupin III - PART FIVE" , posted Sat 8 Jul 10:19post reply

What wonderful news! After Lupin's Italian Job he's heading back to his ancestral home. I'm so glad to hear that not only is there going to be more Lupin but that they are going to continue the trend of him hanging out in picturesque European locations.

"Fiats, and Lupin THE THEATER" , posted Fri 4 Aug 08:50post reply

No, there's no real news on the new series since the Japanese site has pointedly avoided ever talking about Part V whereas the source, the French site, now points you to the empty English one. Solve this Lupantic mystery!

Actually, that's not quite true. There is some news. For one, thanks to this unknown poster, I WANT TO BELIEVE

Also, the two best Lupin movies, which also happen to be the first Lupin movies, are having rare screenings:

Japan: Lupin vs. the Clone, September 1~

US: Castle of Cagliostro, September 14-15

For even more fun, some of the rare Monkey Punch comic episodes not compiled in Futaba's usual collections are now republished.

Why, it's enough to make me want to go steal something!

"Re(1):Fiats, and Lupin THE THEATER" , posted Fri 4 Aug 23:06post reply

quote:
Also, the two best Lupin movies, which also happen to be the first Lupin movies, are having rare screenings:

Japan: Lupin vs. the Clone, September 1~

I am so happy that Cagliostro might be playing near me. Hurry up and list the tickets!

It appears that Clone is going to be the Odorama version of the film. Is that sort of gimmickry popular? Then again, Clone is being advertised with that wonderful classic poster where Fujiko bends her arm into a ludicrous pose just to sneak some phallic imagery onto Lupin. The movie has always been crazy so shooting lasers in the theater or spritzing the audience with water isn't that much of a stretch.

"Re(2):Fiats, and Lupin THE THEATER" , posted Mon 11 Sep 12:41post reply

quote:

US-based master thieves: the event organizer has failed to follow Lupin's lead in terms of sending a warning letter about an impending heist as promised---notification e-mails for opening of sales never happened, but get your tickets for Cagliostro now!

Cagliostro is surely another Cafe core course requirement like Justice Gakuen and Dracula. Hop in your Benz SSK or Fiat and get over to the dukedom ASAP.

"Re(3):Gold of Babylon returns" , posted Wed 20 Sep 11:02:post reply

Is double-posting a crime? Zenigata would never dare arrest me! In the spirit of the Suzuki Seijun mini-tribute earlier this thread, I bring tidings of the re-release of Legend of the Gold of Babylon next year in North America. It's perplexing and most of the cast is out of character, but the theme song sure is nice! I really like how the trailer indicates that Discotek itself is fully aware of how bad/wonderful it is!

In other news, the US Cagliostro screening was a smash. While I don't know who's behind the patronizing decision to have an American introducing every Miyazaki film these days, after Pixar's John Lasseter finished telling the audience on screen how much he loves Cagliostro for fifteen minutes, people seemed to like the film itself. I don't think I'd seen as momentous a screening of a favorite Showa-era anime since I saw Matsumoto Leiji inexplicably host a Q&A after a showing of Galaxy Express 999 in quiet little Gunma's natural history museum (!?) during high school.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 20 Sep 12:33]

"Re(4):Gold of Babylon returns" , posted Wed 20 Sep 22:28post reply

The news that Gold of Babylon is coming to Blu-ray is hilariously horrifying and I'm going to pre-order it on Amazon as soon as I finish this message. There have been many mediocre Lupin adventures over the years but Babylon is one that plunges straight into "How did this get made?" territory and never looks back. There are times when you revisit something you once found intriguing only to realize it doesn't hold up to your memory of that initial viewing. Something tells me, however, that Babylon is going to be as stupefying as I remember. I'm really looking forward to watching this movie again.

When I saw the message title I thought that someone went crazy and decided to release Babylon in US theaters. That would have been quite the sight!

But enough about Lupin's most mystifying movie, we should still be reveling in how great it was to see Cagliostro on the silver screen. In spite of my love for that film in my many viewings of it I've never had the chance to see it in a movie theater until last night. Seeing a movie in its "natural habitat" of a cinema is a singular experience that cannot be duplicated with home theater trickery. Having the opportunity to add Cagliostro to my list of great movies that I've seen as proper movies is something I really appreciate.

John Lassiter's continuing one-man parade for all thing Miyazaki is sort of charming. The friendship and professional respect the two men have for each other has always been interesting, especially since they have both now hold such high positions that they are currently two unique figures in the animation industry. Still, there are differences between the two since if there someone asked Miyazaki to introduce a Pixar retrospective in Japan he would probably tell them to promote their own damn movie before heading back to his storyboards and cigarettes.

Oh, and there was a surprisingly good turn out for the Cagliostro screening. It probably helped that the theater is near a university so the audience could be stuffed with film students, anime fans and homesick international students but no matter what their reason for attending I'm glad they could enjoy a great movie.