Your Favorite Mobile/Tablet Games - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1635 Views )

nobinobita
1316th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Your Favorite Mobile Games" , posted Wed 25 Jun 14:36:post reply

Love it or hate it, Mobile Games are gonna be around for a while. Thankfully they've gotten a lot better these last few years.

What are some of your favorite mobile games?

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 25 Jun 14:38]

Replies:

Maou
2663th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Your Favorite Mobile Games" , posted Wed 25 Jun 14:46:post reply

Z-Z-Ziggurat! Previously a rare up-to-date entry on my contribution to the Game of the Year thread. The control, kinetics, and impact/tension are all marvelous, and I sure do love the music.

Other than that? I thought the character portraits in the port of Final Fantasy V were almost nice enough to make up for the hideous new character sprites, but then I realized how little I like moving on a touch screen rather than a directional pad and left off after about 45 minutes. Oops.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 25 Jun 14:46]

Pollyanna
3665th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Your Favorite Mobile Games" , posted Wed 25 Jun 15:11post reply

I posted about a bunch of Japanese ios games I was playing a while back, but I recently deleted them all, except Sangokushi Rumble. I don't actually play Sangokushi Rumble, but I log in for the daily rewards and look at the new card artwork. If I could find a webpage that had screencaps of all the cards, I would delete that one as well.

I was actually a super high-ranked player in Street Fighter x All Capcom, because it wasn't really much of a game, so I could "play" it all day while I was working.

Anyway, one day I was downloading Marvel's stupid stupid AR app and picked up Avenger's Alliance, which I had previously known as "that damned Facebook game everyone keeps sending out notices for all the time." Much to my surprise, I really liked the game. It has a unexpectedly good turn-based RPG system. It's like...Megaten with Marvel superheroes and no dungeons, maybe? Unfortunately, it's plagued by glitches, poor costumer support and hackers, but the core game, I think, is very strong and the characters (and their powers) are very well represented. I've been reading a lot of Marvel comics lately, so this was good timing as well.

So after playing that for a bit the "obligation" of logging into 6 different games for daily bonuses got to me and I just WHOOSH, deleted them all. Puzzle and Dragon survived. Sangokushi Rumble is on life support.

Two of Square's older efforts...Blood Masque and Demon's Score were enjoyable for a while as well. The music in Blood Masque is quite excellent. That's the one where you can take a photo of yourself and put it on your render's face, but everyone just uses pictures of their dogs.

I might try Wonder Flick again on Vita or something, but the launch was quite a disaster.

I play ios games for the experience, but I don't have an iPhone, just an iPod Touch, so they aren't exactly "mobile" games for me. Oh well...I don't get out anyway.

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

Karasu
1388th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(2):Your Favorite Mobile Games" , posted Wed 25 Jun 15:13post reply

I've really enjoyed Jeff Minter's series of mobile games, especially Goat Up and Death Ray Manta, but I'm a sucker for pre-NES-ish ZX Spectrum-looking things.

Other than that, I plow through mobile games like mad, and as such they don't leave much of an impression most of the time. Panekeshi was not too bad, if buggy, and of course Cave's shooter ports were a bunch of fun.

www.secret-arts.com

nobinobita
1316th Post

"Re(3):Your Favorite Mobile Games" , posted Wed 25 Jun 15:52post reply

quote:
I've really enjoyed Jeff Minter's series of mobile games, especially Goat Up and Death Ray Manta, but I'm a sucker for pre-NES-ish ZX Spectrum-looking things.

Other than that, I plow through mobile games like mad, and as such they don't leave much of an impression most of the time. Panekeshi was not too bad, if buggy, and of course Cave's shooter ports were a bunch of fun.

Alright dudes and dudettes.
I have a game for you!

Ninja Striker: Stylish Ninja Action!

iOS app store here

This is my favorite mobile game. It's the first action game I've played on mobile where I thought the controls were perfect. Really responsive, satisfying, visceral and when I died it was my own dang fault, not cos my finger slipped on a non existent button!

The gameplay is ingeniously simple, but deep. And it's totally tap based (no swiping!).

Tap anywhere on the screen. If you tap on a surface (floor, wall, cieling) your character will make a bee-line towards it and then cling to the surface like Firebrand from Gargoyle's Quest.

If you tap a blank space your character jumps in an arc. You can double jump just once, then you have to commit to your trajectory.

Your character automatically attacks as he glides across the screen.

If you tap on an enemy he will go straight at it and float next to it, striking it until it is dead (or until you're hit). Killing an enemy resets your jump so you can chain kills indefinitely.

It's a simple, but effective mechanic that plays out in a lot of extremely well designed levels, with interesting layouts and increasingly complex and interesting enemy patterns. There are even boss battles!

The game is all about positioning and timing. You must approach things from the correct angle and strike at the right moment. You commit to these moments with decisive taps, then watch the action unfold (so your finger isn't constantly blocking the screen as it would be in a swipe based game). Maybe I'm hyping it up too much, but I think its got the most genuinely engaging gameplay on mobile.

On top of the great mechanics the game has beautiful pixel graphics reminiscent of the Master System and early 16 bit games. And they're genuinely good pixel graphics, full of charm. Also the soundtrack is real catchy.

And it was (for the most part) all made by just one guy.
You can follow him on Twitter here:

https://twitter.com/QCumberFactory

and HOLY SMOKES he's made a followup yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-WK_-cCbJA&feature=youtu.be

Whoah this one looks a lot more complex! It's got RPG elements, more ways of attacking (projectiles!) and more complex bosses. I hope he can pull this off!

www.art-eater.com