Ishmael
4538th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Mon 4 Feb 02:16post reply

I don't know all the details of what happened with that fund raising drive for picking a game for Evo but I'm glad to see the process was more idiotic and raised more money than I had hoped for.

A new Skullgirls character Squiggly has been revealed. Just think, by the end of the life cycle of the Playstation 4 Skullgirls might finally have a full roster!

The SFxT 2013 update is quite interesting. My uneducated intial thoughts are that the game has now turned into KoF 03. Whether that's a good thing or not is not up to me to decide but I am glad to see that people now seem to have an idea of how to play the game since I don't think anyone, including the people who made the game, had any idea what the hell was going on in SFxT when it was first released. Watching how the impressions of this game on both the corporate and players side have changed over time has been entertaining in its own odd way.

Replies:

Burning Ranger
1724th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Mon 4 Feb 04:18post reply

quote:

The SFxT 2013 update is quite interesting. My uneducated intial thoughts are that the game has now turned into KoF 03. Whether that's a good thing or not is not up to me to decide but I am glad to see that people now seem to have an idea of how to play the game since I don't think anyone, including the people who made the game, had any idea what the hell was going on in SFxT when it was first released. Watching how the impressions of this game on both the corporate and players side have changed over time has been entertaining in its own odd way.

After a long break from gaming (in general), I went back to SFxT. I still don't understand why I have this game...and I am still vehemently opposed to paying $20 for the rest of the cast (which makes me sad because I'm missing out on Elena). Oh, the game plays well enough, but I'm still frustrated because of the completeness issues... It's funny because I don't feel this way about Persona 4A, or even Tekken Tag 2...

Meanwhile, I'm considering buying Mortal Kombat, especially now since Amazon has the "Komplete" version for about $17. Since I haven't played the new MK, I figure this is a great deal. I should also get BB Continuum Shift Extend too, since it's sooo cheap.

Also, broke down and bought a Qanba from a dealer at MagFest last month, where I played Chaos Code. It's a shame this game hasn't come to the US.

And lastly, I may have to get this: http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Tamashii-Nations-Bogard-Fighters/dp/B008R7BZNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359919109&sr=8-1&keywords=Terry+Bogard

So much to do so little time...

Baines
340th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Mon 4 Feb 07:26post reply

quote:
Watching how the impressions of this game on both the corporate and players side have changed over time has been entertaining in its own odd way.

Is there any site that has articles covering the evolution of specific games? I had fun myself following the evolution of SFxT, but I lost interest a while back and am now likely horribly out of date. I've had fun following the changing opinions of other fighting games as well.

I'd guess that there could be an audience that a writer could cater to in chronicling these evolutions in a more one-stop-shopping history article form. So I wonder, has anyone actually been doing anything like that for games?

Or will we just have to wait ten years for someone to write a brief "history of SFxT" article when SFxT re-emerges out of nowhere to be the hot classic game that everyone is playing?

Loona
674th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Mon 4 Feb 08:37post reply

quote:
After a long break from gaming (in general), I went back to SFxT. I still don't understand why I have this game...and I am still vehemently opposed to paying $20 for the rest of the cast (which makes me sad because I'm missing out on Elena).

They're now at $15, but it's temporary - the way i see it it's about $2 for every character that wasn't in SSF4 already and/or payment for the dev effort of trying to update the thing.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Professor
3649th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Mon 4 Feb 19:02post reply

Damn, SkullGirls came so close to getting into Evo. Still nevertheless, thumbs up to the fighting game community that raised easily over 200K towards breast cancer donation.

On a different note, Cyberconnect2 is making "A surprising announcement" regarding Jojo All Stars Battle on Feb 16 on 1PM JST. That'll be around Feb 15 late night in the States. I'm assuming they'll announce the game's launch date along some other tidbits. They'll also be showing off their latest build, although the event is private with only 150 invitations given out to the public.

http://www.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/naruto_storm3/event/jojo.html

mbisonhatclub
544th Post

PSN: hadoolket

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Mon 4 Feb 23:13:post reply

quote:
After a long break from gaming (in general), I went back to SFxT. I still don't understand why I have this game...and I am still vehemently opposed to paying $20 for the rest of the cast (which makes me sad because I'm missing out on Elena).

They're now at $15, but it's temporary - the way i see it it's about $2 for every character that wasn't in SSF4 already and/or payment for the dev effort of trying to update the thing.

I paid only 20 for the game and still feel a bit ripped off, so there's definitely no convincing me to pay even 10 dollars for it, not until the game actually becomes fun. Other people claim it's fun now, but I'm not feeling it still.

I know we have like a bajillion part 3 characters in Jojo ASB, but I'd still want Mariah! And if not her, part 4's Yukako. And some other part 4 characters would be nice, too.

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

[this message was edited by mbisonhatclub on Mon 4 Feb 23:16]

Spoon
2387th Post

"Re(4):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Tue 5 Feb 03:17post reply

quote:

I know we have like a bajillion part 3 characters in Jojo ASB, but I'd still want Mariah! And if not her, part 4's Yukako. And some other part 4 characters would be nice, too.

There are so many Part 4 characters that would work. Heck, I'd love it if there was a character that was just called "strange phenomena/legends of town" that was made up of the characters whose powers wouldn't stand up individually in a fighting game but in amalgamation would make for a fun character.

Or maybe I just really, really want epic Rock Paper Scissors battles.

Loona
675th Post

"Re(4):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Tue 5 Feb 13:51post reply

quote:
Damn, SkullGirls came so close to getting into Evo. Still nevertheless, thumbs up to the fighting game community that raised easily over 200K towards breast cancer donation.

Their efforts did not go unnoticed, they'll get a space of their own, screen time and a pot bonus for their side tournament.

Professor
3654th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Wed 6 Feb 17:34:post reply

quote:

Their efforts did not go unnoticed, they'll get a space of their own, screen time and a pot bonus for their side tournament.

And another horray for Skullgirls as the game is finally making its way to Japan albeit not in packaged product as originally rumored. It's great the game is coming out-- hopefully doujins will spawn with this release!

The publisher Cyberfront is only releasing it on PS3 and not the 360 though, reportedly due to their estimates that the investment won't pay back. I actually agree with this when considering the market trend.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 6 Feb 17:36]

Loona
677th Post

"Re(6):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Wed 6 Feb 19:19post reply

quote:

And another horray for Skullgirls as the game is finally making its way to Japan albeit not in packaged product as originally rumored. It's great the game is coming out-- hopefully doujins will spawn with this release!

I'm afraid to think of the possible Ms. Fortune guro that may follow, and that that might not even be the odder stuff the game will inspire.

Iggy
9429th Post

"Re(7):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Thu 7 Feb 00:41post reply

More Jojo
何をするだァーッ!had to be there in some way. Good!

I really love the colors in this game. Love Train looks magnificent, and Moriôchô (that we saw last time) as well. It's one of the most challenging things when adapting Jojo in any form, and I think they're making an amazing job out of the source material.

Also: first fighting game that I know of with a paralytic character, (And he also gets a nail gauge. Take that, Ash Crimson !).

Ishmael
4542th Post

"Re(2):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Sat 9 Feb 02:54post reply

I watched a bit of the K.O. Fighting Game Festival from Kuwait and I was struck by a few things. First, it seems Daigo is now a hidden boss character who can only be unlocked through a code. Second, it seems there is no Arabic term for Fei Long's "chicken wing" kick. Fighting game terminology is a stew of different languages but I never expected "chicken wing" to become a loan word. Finally, I saw someone play a very impressive Juri. It made me happy to see that someone, somewhere knows how to play that character.

quote:
Meanwhile, I'm considering buying Mortal Kombat, especially now since Amazon has the "Komplete" version for about $17. Since I haven't played the new MK, I figure this is a great deal. I should also get BB Continuum Shift Extend too, since it's sooo cheap.

I've lost track of BB, but $17 for MK is a steal. It's probably the best MK game yet. That's something of a left handed compliment but if you are familiar with the series you know what I mean.

Mosquiton
1851th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Sat 9 Feb 06:55:post reply

quote:

I've lost track of BB, but $17 for MK is a steal. It's probably the best MK game yet. That's something of a left handed compliment but if you are familiar with the series you know what I mean.

As a left-handed individual I wanted to commend you for demonstrating your willingness to potentially offend the substantial number of left-handed members on this board will your choice of words.

But as someone who is ambidextrous I'll agree with you that the new Mortal Kombat is objectively the best-made game in the series, and that I was joking about being offended.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sat 9 Feb 06:57]

karasu99
1064th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Sat 9 Feb 07:28post reply

quote:

As a left-handed individual I wanted to commend you for demonstrating your willingness to potentially offend the substantial number of left-handed members on this board will your choice of words.

But as someone who is ambidextrous I'll agree with you that the new Mortal Kombat is objectively the best-made game in the series, and that I was joking about being offended.

That phrasing actually stuck out to me when I read it earlier-- I'm more familiar the phrase 'back-handed compliment', but whatever.

www.secret-arts.com

Burning Ranger
1727th Post

"Re(4):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Sun 10 Feb 00:40post reply

So, I'm about to reignite an ages-old rivalry. Are you ready? Here goes:

Over the last few years, I've had my current-gen fighting game collection split between X-box and PS3, but lately I've been buying the PS3 versions of games. My question is: is PS3 the way to go? One thing to consider: I don't play fighters online that much (I let my Xbox Live account lapse, meaning I won't play much of anything [The only reason I had it was to play CoD with my brothers living thousands of miles away]). And if I do, I'd rather not pay for a subscription service if I didn't have to.

So, am I making a smart move?

karasu99
1065th Post

"Re(5):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Sun 10 Feb 03:57post reply

quote:

Over the last few years, I've had my current-gen fighting game collection split between X-box and PS3, but lately I've been buying the PS3 versions of games. My question is: is PS3 the way to go? One thing to consider: I don't play fighters online that much (I let my Xbox Live account lapse, meaning I won't play much of anything [The only reason I had it was to play CoD with my brothers living thousands of miles away]). And if I do, I'd rather not pay for a subscription service if I didn't have to.

I originally got an X360 because it was cheaper than the then-outrageously priced PS3, and because there was a handful of exclusive titles that I wanted, but over the years things have been moving in the direction of being either crossplatform (where I buy for PS3), for X360 and PC (where I buy for PC), or where exclusive X360 games are things I don't want at all. So I rarely buy for X360 anymore. Add to that the fact that Microsoft charges for what Sony gives away for free (online play), and that Sony's equivalent of XBL Gold, Playstation Plus, pretty much just gives you stuff for free, for cheap, or early, all for a very reasonable monthly cost, and I seriously am not sure what Microsoft even offers of value anymore.

www.secret-arts.com

Gieflos
91th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Sun 10 Feb 05:12post reply

The only reason I have an Xbox is because more of my friends play on that console. I tend to keep my single player experiences on PS3.

Ishmael
4543th Post

"Re(5):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Sun 10 Feb 10:29post reply

While I meant no offense perhaps this page will help quell the horrors my diction unleashed.

quote:

At first I was going to say that this might be a moot question since the PS4 and Xbox720 will be announced sooner or later. Then I realized this is actually a very good question since the PS3 and 360 have probably settled into their final forms and unless you are a fan of Batarang controllers it's often a good idea to give new consoles a year or two to get the bugs out.* Right now the PS3 is probably the better deal but a case could be made for either system. Honestly, I would pick up both systems but I have enough toys right now as it is.

*The only system worth buying on opening day was the Dreamcast. That thing was awesome and absurd straight out of the gate.

In unrelated news Shang Tsung is now hosting dinner parties. Things are getting weird.

Burning Ranger
1730th Post

"Re(6):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Mon 11 Feb 00:13post reply

quote:

*The only system worth buying on opening day was the Dreamcast. That thing was awesome and absurd straight out of the gate.

SECOND.

Nekros
533th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Mon 11 Feb 03:18post reply

quote:

Yes. Got my first 360 as a present and switched to the new model to avoid RROD but the reason I'm keeping it are Cave shmups and a bunch of XBLA titles. I buy every fighting game on PS3, only because I'm, like you, an occasional online player and don't want to be charged for something I not use so often. I like playing online but I don't consider that nor a work or a duty of some sort; I play just for fun and I'm not competitive player, a concept that most fighting games players seem to ignore.
Xbox is your best choice only if you love fp/tp gaijin shooters and racing games since the pad is designed around those kind of games.

Professor
3654th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Tue 12 Feb 03:21post reply

Persona 4 Arena hitting PSN
But will it be region locked like its original disc release?

Gojira
2907th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(5):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Tue 12 Feb 05:59post reply

quote:

Totally. I've already done this myself.

A lot of people where I live still use XBL for everything, but that's only because, well, a lot of people around here still use XBL. It's a simple dominance model. If you don't have many friends bugging you to play them on XBL you don't really have to worry about it. There are some features of XBL that you'll never get on PSN like the party voice chat (Sony literally said "not possible"), but if you can live without that there's no reason to worry. The difference in network speed is also indistinguishable IMHO.

Ever since Kinect became a thing MS has slowly been trying to push gaming to the wayside. They think as long as they have Halo and toss a few Halo-shaped bones in that direction they don't need to deal with that market, and their [weakly-motivated] technology is supposed to do the rest. The sad thing is they're probably right to some extent, at least for now. Doesn't mean they're a good platform to support, though.

Burning Ranger
1731th Post

"Re(7):Fighting Game Thread: Easy Mode Edition" , posted Tue 12 Feb 11:53post reply

quote:
Persona 4 Arena hitting PSN
But will it be region locked like its original disc release?

But where is Chaos Code?!?

GekigangerV
1810th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

"MLP Fighter going to the glue factory" , posted Wed 13 Feb 06:17post reply

http://shoryuken.com/2013/02/09/mane6-receives-cease-and-desist-from-hasbro-my-little-pony-fighting-is-magic-development-shut-down/

It is unfortunate but not unexpected. I have seen this kind of stuff happen since that Dragonball Z: Bid for Power game back when I was in high school. You would think if people were to do these kind of efforts they would keep it on the down-low until they release it and then no one can really stop it as it has spread throughout the internet by then.

I wonder what other MLP stuff hasbro has put their lawyers on. As I mentioned in my T-shirt thread, there are TONS of borderline/blatant examples of copyright infringement and I am sure I have seen REAL MLP characters on top of parody ones on those shirts and those are actually for sale, while this game was to be free.

Pollyanna
3385th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(1):MLP Fighter going to the glue factory" , posted Wed 13 Feb 10:44post reply

quote:
http://shoryuken.com/2013/02/09/mane6-receives-cease-and-desist-from-hasbro-my-little-pony-fighting-is-magic-development-shut-down/

It is unfortunate but not unexpected. I have seen this kind of stuff happen since that Dragonball Z: Bid for Power game back when I was in high school. You would think if people were to do these kind of efforts they would keep it on the down-low until they release it and then no one can really stop it as it has spread throughout the internet by then.

People were saying things like "regardless of MLP, it's a good fighter!" If that's really the case, maybe they should alter the sprites and make it "Generic Unlicensed Pony Fighter" instead.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
4545th Post

"Re(2):MLP Fighter going to the glue factory" , posted Wed 13 Feb 11:37post reply

I'm not trying to be a jerk but didn't they see this one coming? If it had been a junky flash game that was little more than a moving piece of fan art no one would have cared. But for months there have been stories about how the creators were attempting to make a sophisticated, legitimate game using source material that's owned by someone else. It was only a matter of time before that mess blew up. Perhaps their only chance is to strike a Megaman vs SF sort of deal but I don't see that happening. Capcom knew there was a very small audience for a new 8 bit MM game and supporting that title was a nice bit of PR since the Blue Bomber had gotten the shaft in the last few development cycles. But if Hasbro was looking to make a pony game I can't image they would want one where the ponies beat the hell out of each other.

Lugos
18th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):MLP Fighter going to the glue factory" , posted Wed 13 Feb 13:25post reply

quote:
I'm not trying to be a jerk but didn't they see this one coming? If it had been a junky flash game that was little more than a moving piece of fan art no one would have cared. But for months there have been stories about how the creators were attempting to make a sophisticated, legitimate game using source material that's owned by someone else. It was only a matter of time before that mess blew up.

Agreed. I think Hasbro was forced to protect their trademark in this case. A trademark owner can lose their trademark if it can be shown that the trademark owner was aware that their mark was being infringed, but failed to protect it. While Hasbro has been willing to turn a blind eye towards under-the-radar infringements, Mane6's game was getting so much attention that it would've been difficult for Hasbro to deny that they were unaware of it. Hence the C&D.

Though, it's of no condolence to Mane6. Nothing sucks more than being tripped up in the 11th hour of a marathon that you're poised to win.

Iggy
9431th Post

"Jojo DLC AAAAAH" , posted Wed 13 Feb 20:13post reply

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
http://www.imagebam.com/image/cb15d3237070579

OK, Jôsuke/Soft&Wet, nobody really care.
Release date on the 29th of august, aaaaaah.
Limited edition full of random shit that anyone would love, aaAAAAAAAAaaaaah (Hayato memo, OST with a White Snake-like disk...). 17000 yens, pfff, easy.
BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY DLC CODE FOR KIRE YOSHIKAGE AAAAAAAAAAAH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
AND HE HAS HIS YOSHIKAGE FACE, NOT KAWAJIRI AAAAAAH.

And finally, if Kira is DLC, what about the other bosses ? Everyone is already wondering what could happen to Pucci or Funny Valentine...
Or are they going full DLC road for the 5 remaining bosses?
The only annoying thing is that it's scheduled DLC, meaning once the game is shipped, I'm not sure they'll continue working on the title to add more DLC characters. Oh well.

Aaaaah.

Professor
3655th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Jojo DLC AAAAAH" , posted Wed 13 Feb 22:19post reply

quote:
OK, Jôsuke/Soft&Wet, nobody really care.
Release date on the 29th of august, aaaaaah.
Limited edition full of random shit that anyone would love, aaAAAAAAAAaaaaah (Hayato memo, OST with a White Snake-like disk...). 17000 yens, pfff, easy.
BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY DLC CODE FOR KIRE YOSHIKAGE AAAAAAAAAAAH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
AND HE HAS HIS YOSHIKAGE FACE, NOT KAWAJIRI AAAAAAH.

Somehow I knew Iggy would easily beat me over this news and yes AAAAAAAAAH this will be a must-get. Just a side note, the Kira Yoshikage DLC code will come with both the Limited and first shipment of the Normal edition as well.

Now with all these announcements taken from next week's Shonen Jump before it's legitimately allowed on shelves, I wonder if there'll be anything worthwhile at this weekend's announcement (aside from probably a new trailer)

Iggy
9432th Post

"Re(2):Jojo DLC AAAAAH" , posted Wed 13 Feb 22:38post reply

quote:
Now with all these announcements taken from next week's Shonen Jump before it's legitimately allowed on shelves, I wonder if there'll be anything worthwhile at this weekend's announcement (aside from probably a new trailer)

I think it spoiled all the fun of the announcement, so I'm afraid it's going to be
(Piroshi) :And now, we give you... JOUSUKE !!!"
(audience) : ... ... ... that's it ?
They'll probably show the items of the LE in further details, if only...
But I think they also said there would be a playable demo in the venue, with more characters than the last time (that's the least they can do !)
I wonder if that will have all the characters we know or only a selection, and if we'll have enough reports on how all of them play (that's 20 characters, and only 150 people allowed... How many of them will study the actual gameplay and not merely how the characters look?)

Loona
680th Post

"Re(2):MLP Fighter going to the glue factory" , posted Wed 13 Feb 23:42post reply

quote:

People were saying things like "regardless of MLP, it's a good fighter!" If that's really the case, maybe they should alter the sprites and make it "Generic Unlicensed Pony Fighter" instead.

Lauren Faust offered to provide the dev team some alternate designs, not ponies, but likely still on 4 legs, which would let the team recycle a lot of collision box data. Despite the offer, it seems she's open to suggestions herself.
I wouldn't be surprised if the team managed to get away with the "Fighting is Magic" name though, since it would no longer make a direct mention of ponies, some people have used that term to refer to the game before, and those words don't seems particularly prone to legal action.
The question is, of course, if there'll be enough drive to redraw whole sprite sets...

Toxico
5756th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(1):Jojo DLC AAAAAH" , posted Thu 14 Feb 02:35post reply

quote:

AND HE HAS HIS YOSHIKAGE FACE, NOT KAWAJIRI

ゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Tension is definitely rising. He will probably have some sort of alternative attire with his switched face and they may even throw in his ghost buster appearance if they are feeling generous

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

Pollyanna
3387th Post

"Re(3):MLP Fighter going to the glue factory" , posted Thu 14 Feb 08:15post reply

I don't even have anything to say about the JoJo game anymore. The roof has been blown off of my hype house and my excitement is flying free with the wind. It can reclaim its place within my brain after the release date.

Oh wait...I still have some negativity to throw out. A Joutarou figure is a pretty wasteful LE bonus that drives up the price for nothing. Like you couldn't buy one of hundreds of different Joutarou figures if you wanted one!? Beats the piece of crap Kaizoku Musou LE, but come on...
quote:

Lauren Faust offered to provide the dev team some alternate designs, not ponies, but likely still on 4 legs, which would let the team recycle a lot of collision box data. Despite the offer, it seems she's open to suggestions herself.
I wouldn't be surprised if the team managed to get away with the "Fighting is Magic" name though, since it would no longer make a direct mention of ponies, some people have used that term to refer to the game before, and those words don't seems particularly prone to legal action.

I'm sure the developers are too crushed to make a decision like this immediately, but I do hope it works out. I'm going to go ahead and show my bias here and say that while I would probably not play an MLP fighting game, I would jump on an alpaca one.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
535th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):MLP Fighter going to the glue factory" , posted Thu 14 Feb 17:30post reply

I like how the new JoJo is shaping, but I'm not a great fan of the series (read the manga till the GioGio arc) and I have a bunch of question for you.

1) Are there any Steel Ball Run chars announced? Joestar or Diego in particular?
2) Is "ZaWardo" Dio the only version of him in the game?
3) How many characters in total and how many for any series?
4) Any chance to have Koichi/Echoes?
5) What about female characters except the ones from Stone Ocean?

Thanks in advance.

Pollyanna
3389th Post

"Re(5):MLP Fighter going to the glue factory" , posted Thu 14 Feb 19:59post reply

quote:
I like how the new JoJo is shaping, but I'm not a great fan of the series (read the manga till the GioGio arc) and I have a bunch of question for you.

1) Are there any Steel Ball Run chars announced? Joestar or Diego in particular?

Thanks in advance.

1) Johnny and Gyro so far, but no Diego yet
2) Only one we've seen yet
3)They said "more than you'd expect" or something to that effect. Most we've seen from one series is 3, I think.
4) We've already seen 3 from 4, so who knows. They'll probably keep announcing characters up until the release
5) Unlikely, given how few there are to pick from and how many popular characters there are to include. I'm more interested in what men we'll see from Stone Ocean. I'm not super pumped about Hermes, so I hope we don't just get Jolyne/Hermes/Pucci.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9433th Post

"Re(6):MLP Fighter going to the glue factory" , posted Thu 14 Feb 20:24post reply

I'm not too hyped for the statue either... or any Jôtarô / Star Plat item, to be honest. I'd rather pick up myself thoses of the characters I'm more interested in (I think I have 4 different Iggys now, it's OK, people, you can stop giving me those).
Speaking of which...
Ooooh
Oooooooh.
There also was a Killer queen statue last year, I think, that was ridiculously gorgeous.
quote:
I'm more interested in what men we'll see from Stone Ocean. I'm not super pumped about Hermes, so I hope we don't just get Jolyne/Hermes/Pucci.

I'm pretty sure Weather will be in. They didn't waste resources in his 3D model (for him AND his stand) just for a stage gimmick. However, now I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up DLC...
And I'm afraid that means neither Annasui nor F.F.
OR MAYBE every part will get 6 characters each, but I'm pretty sure part 3 just got those because it's the most famous one and fans of the others should just be happy with the bone they're being thrown. If they add Vanilla, old Joseph or Iggy on top of that, it will make the discrepancy worse... Oh well, I'll just take any character they want, even Nukesaku or Wang Chen.

Also, I'm not sure the game is worth it for anyone not fan of the series to begin with. It is fan service 24 carats on a platinum plate, but watching fan service from something you're not familiar with is like watching people you don't know jerking off. It might seem like an interesting sociological experiment at first, but it ends up being an even sadder waste of time.

kofoguz
1027th Post

"Re(6):MLP Fighter going to the glue factory" , posted Thu 14 Feb 21:08post reply

quote:

Thanks in advance.

1) Johnny and Gyro so far, but no Diego yet
2) Only one we've seen yet
3)They said "more than you'd expect" or something to that effect. Most we've seen from one series is 3, I think.
4) We've already seen 3 from 4, so who knows. They'll probably keep announcing characters up until the release
5) Unlikely, given how few there are to pick from and how many popular characters there are to include. I'm more interested in what men we'll see from Stone Ocean. I'm not super pumped about Hermes, so I hope we don't just get Jolyne/Hermes/Pucci.

I definetely want to see Weather Report.
I actualy am fan of Yoshikage Kira face.
The face change was a bummer to me.
For some reason Lisa Lisa, Spice Girls, and Hot Pants feels like shoe in.
Oh also "can I has Ringo Roadagain".

Iggy
9437th Post

"Report from the Jojo event" , posted Sat 16 Feb 18:53:post reply

Remember when I was saying Jojo ASB was my fighting game of 2012, because it reminds me of the atmosphere before each release of KOF ten years ago?
Well, it's only getting better. Reading the threads while the location test is happening when it's 6AM here, trying to guess what's true and what's approximation or outright lies... I just LOVE that feeling.
Oh, and the game looks awesome too!

The first part of the post comes from the same (trusted) twitter account, so I'd say it's quite reliable.
For clarity, if I write "Jôsuke", it's Jôsuke of part 4, if it's "Jojolion", it's Jôsuke of part 8. I tried to translate the sentences for easier reading but... hum. Let's say I'm not a professional translator to English.

Characters playable during the morning testplay: Jonathan, Zeppeli, Joseph, Jôtarô, Polnaref, DIO, Jôsuke, Okuyasu, Giorno, Jolyne, Johnny
Mista, Hermes and Kakyôin don't appear to be usable. Gyro and Whamu aren't either.
The conference will start in the afternoon.
Unsurprisingly, videos and pictures were forbidden.

Jôsuke is awesome.
Task 4 does a "oraoraora" rush.
DIO's throw looks like his throw in the Capcom game (time stop/punch in the guts).
The crowd cheers the first time someone uses the roar roller!
Zeppeli's pose when he wins a round: holding a glass of wine (no bottle ?)
Zeppeli's GHA have him sending hamon through the ground, then he breathes, and send zoom punch(es?)
Polnaref's victory pause is the cover art of the last episode against Judgement (?)
Giorno and DIO have a special dialogue !!! Not very interesting, G "Maybe I've been waiting for that moment" D "I feel something familiar in you". Giorno's victory "I'll use the strength I received from you to achieve my dream".
But that does mean there are special interactions, even out of the manga. I was afraid they'll go too conservative and "if it doesn't exist in the manga, it's not in the game", so, good !
Giorno did a "slow pain coming" on DIO! Crowd cheering.
Gold Experience Requiem stays on a long time.
Giorno's voice actor was criticized by the VA dorks, but in the demo he sounds good.
A fight Jôtarô vs Jonathan in the Green Dolphin prison huhuhu. Toads raining !
Lots of people using Jonathan. Zoom Punch is indeed very Dahlsim-esque.
Jôtarô's 2P colour has a green school uniform, Star Plat purple (?)
Polnaref's 2P colour is purple, and Silver Charriot golden
DIO's victory pause is the cover of volume 27.
Jôtarô vs Jolyne ! The guy didn't hear what Jôtarô says, but Jolyne answers "How... how young!" Jolyne victory "Well... I probably have a tendency to hallucinate stuff anyway". Another guy heard her say "My heart finally understood you!"
Jolyne 2P colour : gold, Stone Free pink
Jôsuke's provocation is the last image of part 4, with his school bag on his shoulder.
Polnaref to Giorno "Who are you? I don't know you!"
Joseph's 2P colour is orange.
Jôsuke's GHA sends the opponent flying, he massages his shoulder, heals the enemy to full health, and then DORARARARA rush
Jôsuke to Jôtarô "Hum, you look like me" Tarô "What, you want to fight?"
Jôsuke's 2P color is purple. Crazy Diamond is like the recent 2nd figurine that was released (the green one ?)
The guy's turn has come. He used Johnny. He loves the character and is very happy of how he was portrayed.
Johnny's 2P colour is green.
He's quite complicated to use. HE CANNOT MOVE IF SLOW DANCER IS NOT HERE (but he can move sideways)
His oraora rush looks so good it hurts.
His GHA has him jumping down from Slow Dancer, shoot some nails, and when they hit Tusk Act 4 does a Oraora rush. Johnny says "Thanks Gyro. I have no other word".
He doesn't have any special interaction with Jonathan.
Victory pause : that pause when he points at the sky with his index.
Provocation : "I have no intention to step down".
When you use DIO and you pick up stages, you're limited to stages indicated with a stone mask (coliseum and Dio's mansion for this demo). So probably vampire and pillar men can only fight during the night?

Start of the conference. It was about Jojolion and Kira. 4th PV ; it will be made available on the web next week.
More characters will be revealed in due time.
Kira's VA is super good.
Theme of the 4th PV : crossover fights. Jôtarô/Jolyne, Giorno/Okuyasu, Gun vs Gun (Hol Horse/Mista) Revenge vs Revenge (Polnaref vs Hermes) Fire vs Wind (Avdol Whamu) Mudamuda vs Dorarara, Rerorero vs Rerarera (Kakyôin vs Gyro). All of them have special intros (Hol Horse: "Let's see who shots faster", Dio making fun of Jôsuke's hair)
Then characters from part 1, 7, then Jojolion. Catch phrase, Release date, limited edition, Kira DLC.
Preorder of the LE start on the 18th of February. COUNT ME FUCKING IN !!!!
After the PV, they're playing with Jojolion a little. His 2P is white with Soft&Wet red.
Apparently they completed the PV4 at 3AM today! That's why it will take them some time before they can put it on the net.
The Hayato memo has Bites The Dust on the last page... and it's Bites The Dust that tells you the DLC code for Kira. Nice!!!
If Avdol represents fire in the game, it's probably a good hint that Esidisi is not invited.
Gyro's VA has been criticized a lot, but they re-recorded some voice samples and he sounds much better.
No info on the story mode.

----------------------
Other random info from the thread (less reliable)
DIO's 2P colour is orange. Time stops for quite long, 5 seconds ? The road roller takes like 1/4th of the life? But the gauge takes some time to fill in, so it's difficult to do it more than once per round.
Polnaref's GHA requires the first hit to hit in order to have the full animation, while DIO's doesn't.
Some character models such as Jôtarô or Joseph has been slightly changed : http://i.imgur.com/CBbCMu6.jpg
The damage is HUGE. Easy combo do 1/3 of life damage, combo ending with a super do easily more than 50%.
Okuyasu doesn't seem to have a lot of reach, quite difficult (especially against Jolyne who has a lot and is very fast). But once he's close, he can be very tough, as he has an unblockable.
Jonathan has at least two provocation, "I'm ready for the fight" and "Naniwo suruda !"
When doing provocation while the character is on the ground, the sentence appears like in a comic.

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/028/868/511e79a8af43d.html
http://www.4gamer.net/games/173/G017380/20130216003/SS/019.jpg
http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201302160005/

[this message was edited by Iggy on Sat 16 Feb 18:59]

Nekros
536th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Report from the Jojo event" , posted Sat 16 Feb 21:33post reply

That sounds cool and all, but what about the gameplay?
Is a simple brawler like the Naruto ones or have a hint of complexity (cancels, tricks, balanced-based combos, etc.)? I'm asking because to me it seems a very good point for fanservice but no one speaks in detail about how the game works effectively as a fighter. I'm still happy only by seeing the graphic engine so no bitching here: I'm asking just out of curiosity because in my mind I have a certain picture of the game.

Iggy
9437th Post

"Re(2):Report from the Jojo event" , posted Sun 17 Feb 04:06post reply

It's a fighting game, as it has been said. There's videos of it on youtube.

More stuff:
The announcer is the VA of Lisalisa in the anime, which could mean she's in the game or could mean she's not in the game, your call. Apparently, there's several different announcers.
Giorno's GER is ridiculously strong. Nobody expected the game to have good balance or anything, but that's some seriously retarded one-hit kill there, as everything combos easily from the slightest mudamuda to the super, rinse and repeat. Oh, well.
On top of the stone mark icon to indicate the stage is night time, the stages also have a DANGER mark to say there's a stage gimmick. Which could either mean the gimmicks can be put on/off, or that some stage don't have gimmicks. Moriôchô, Dio's manor or the eyes in the wall don't appear to have gimmicks.
Damage is really ridiculous.
Jumps are still quite floaty.

Pollyanna
3390th Post

"Re(2):Report from the Jojo event" , posted Sun 17 Feb 08:12post reply

quote:
That sounds cool and all, but what about the gameplay?
Is a simple brawler like the Naruto ones or have a hint of complexity (cancels, tricks, balanced-based combos, etc.)? I'm asking because to me it seems a very good point for fanservice but no one speaks in detail about how the game works effectively as a fighter. I'm still happy only by seeing the graphic engine so no bitching here: I'm asking just out of curiosity because in my mind I have a certain picture of the game.

I think what we'll see over Naruto isn't so much "depth" as something more like "width". The cast seems to have a lot more variety and more characters with gimmicks. I haven't seen anyone who knows what they're doing play the game yet, so it's too early to pass judgement. It could be a good sign or a bad sign that inexperienced players look clumsy playing it.

quote:
Giorno's GER is ridiculously strong. Nobody expected the game to have good balance or anything, but that's some seriously retarded one-hit kill there, as everything combos easily from the slightest mudamuda to the super, rinse and repeat. Oh, well.

I always wonder how stuff like this passes. Is it just "Well, Giorno is strong, so..."

Anyway, thanks for all the information.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9438th Post

"Re(3):Report from the Jojo event" , posted Sun 17 Feb 18:47post reply

quote:
I always wonder how stuff like this passes. Is it just "Well, Giorno is strong, so..."

Possibly... But also GER is so ridiculously omnipotent in the manga that it's difficult to portray its power without having it go berserk. I mean, the first thing it does when it appears is shooting venomous scorpions out of its fingernails, and that's BEFORE it uses its ability, so...
The Capcom game of part 5 had a similar problem with GER, and in the end, it was just Gold Experience with slightly more power, until you do a mudamuda on Diavolo which triggers the final cutscene. But in an actual fighting game, you have to give it more than a simple damage boost.. I don't know what would be the right balance here. Maybe make it so Giorno has a lot of difficulty to fill up his gauge, and when he does, the round is basically won, like Phoenix in MvC3 ?

I'm afraid the more über abilities characters like Kars ultimate form, Diavolo and Pucci will all end up retarded broken that way.
But then, we might end up in a MvC2 scenario where 3 or 4 characters are so dominating that the rest of the cast doesn't matter, but the top tiers are somewhat balanced between them, and the lower tiers are as well.
And as a fan item... I'd rather have Giorno or Ultimate life form Kars dominate everyone else than, say, Hermes.
I mean, I like Hermes, but...

Pollyanna
3391th Post

"Re(4):Report from the Jojo event" , posted Mon 18 Feb 17:23post reply

Trailer is up.

I thought to myself "I'll pass on the LE and buy $100 worth of Jojo crap I really want". Ironically, everything that got released recently is sold out already. I can find Jojo stuff I bought 10 years ago easier and for cheaper than stuff that came out half a year ago.
quote:

And as a fan item... I'd rather have Giorno or Ultimate life form Kars dominate everyone else than, say, Hermes.
I mean, I like Hermes, but...

When it comes to games like this, the obviously overpowered characters sometimes don't stack up to some ridiculous exploit an unexpected character can use. We might see some ridiculously named near-glitch ("Busu-cancel" or something) from Hermes that limits high-level play to something that doesn't resemble "normal" people playing the game at all.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Professor
3658th Post

MMCafe Owner

"JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Mon 18 Feb 17:27:post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40BH5a5ltfY

Oops Polly got ahead by 3 mins.
It's hard to hold back with all the Jojo heat!
Pre-order

Thanks to Iggy for all the summarization of this weekend's news. But yeah, I don't think balance is the first thing that's on the agenda for a game like this, although from what it sounds like, things have been tweaked since last September. To answer Nekros' question, JojoASB definitely plays as a fighter and not like a Smash Bros. That means there's command moves, supers, combos, parrying iirc, etc.

Just an urge to post this here.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19135031 - Nico

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 18 Feb 18:09]

Iggy
9440th Post

"Re(1):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Mon 18 Feb 19:02:post reply

Hermes's panty in the trailer!
Hermes confirmed to be GOD TIER.

Speedwagon is in Dio's castle (look at 1:39). There is some guy behind Zeppeli on the chandelier, probably Straizzo?

「予約する」と心の中で思ったならッ!その時スデに行動は終わっているんだッ!

More opinions about the game system:
The Stylish Move (Just defense that allows you to side-step, look extremely strong) seem to eat 25% of your guard gauge. That fantastic news if true, as it seemed totally broken in the first gameplay video (and I heard Naruto had a similar system, and since it was free you had basically no reason to not just do that all the time).
Also, the timing is somewhat strict, and some ora-ora type move have a wide hitbox which will swallow you back into it if you side-step too early.

The puttsun cancel is as useful as we could imagine, either allowing to continue a combo or interrupting a move that was blocked so that it doesn't get punished.

Interestingly, the ukemi also seems to be an important system to use, as the provocation when the enemy is down gives a huge advantage (and if you ukemi, the enemy cannot do it). AND if you do your ukemi correctly and the opponent did the provocation anyway, some characters have the possibility to run and hit the opponent before
the provocation is over.

Throws have a similar feeling as in any regular fighting game (which means "it's not like in Naruto"). Some characters with OTG can continue after a throw (like DIO with his road sign move).

If all that is true, it might be an even bigger news than Jôsuke's inclusion. It would mean they are actually aiming to release a complex, deep fighting game (whether they'll manage to do it is another question, but that seem like a solid base).
I'm so excited!!!

EDIT : The preorder for the LE were up on Amazon for 6 hours before being sold out.
Waroenai... At least the prospects for the game are good.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Mon 18 Feb 21:03]

kofoguz
1028th Post

"Re(2):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Mon 18 Feb 21:54post reply

quote:
Hermes's panty in the trailer!
Hermes confirmed to be GOD TIER.

Speedwagon is in Dio's castle (look at 1:39). There is some guy behind Zeppeli on the chandelier, probably Straizzo?

「予約する」と心の中で思ったならッ!その時スデに行動は終わっているんだッ!

More opinions about the game system:
The Stylish Move (Just defense that allows you to side-step, look extremely strong) seem to eat 25% of your guard gauge. That fantastic news if true, as it seemed totally broken in the first gameplay video (and I heard Naruto had a similar system, and since it was free you had basically no reason to not just do that all the time).
Also, the timing is somewhat strict, and some ora-ora type move have a wide hitbox which will swallow you back into it if you side-step too early.

The puttsun cancel is as useful as we could imagine, either allowing to continue a combo or interrupting a move that was blocked so that it doesn't get punished.

Interestingly, the ukemi also seems to be an important system to use, as the provocation when the enemy is down gives a huge advantage (and if you ukemi, the enemy cannot do it). AND if you do your ukemi correctly and the opponent did the provocation anyway, some characters have the possibility to run and hit the opponent before
the

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Thanks Iggy for the all the information. Small details.
* I dont follow voice actors but Jolyne seems like her grand grand mother Lisa Lisa's voice or similar voice. She sounds cool. Her voice compensate her missing her heroic climax.
* I really liked the smal box of terrified character's face when the opponent makes a big DM (or probably SDM) intro. I saw Jousuke did it when Dio was activating it. (1:18).
* Special intros. Yay! That was one of the aspects that make me fall in love with KoF. Characters actually interact with each other. And I guess most briallant special intro is Gyro singing vs Kakyoin ReRo ReRo. I'm expecting goodnes galore.
* Jonathan doing JoJo poses during fight is smoking sexy and cool.
* Johnny Joestar looks intriguing. And he has growing fingernail scheme. He was eating orbs (cant remember which) to make it faster. I think he will be the first character I will try and eventually main. And first Paralyzed character like Iggy said.
* If Mista and Hol are "gun match" to each other. Would Foo Fighters be Johnny's "shooting from the fingers match"?
* On a second thought it would be hard to include Ringo Roadagain. But they can always surprise me.
* Jojolion officially grew on me. Especially now that we know Jousuke Nigashikata...

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
... is the main character who is fused with my all time favourite JOJO villain Yoshikage Kira.

End of Spoiler

For Jojolion readers;

If Yoshikage Kira/Jousuke is the son of Holly Joestar. Then maybe Joseph's illegitimate son is Jotaro in this universe. And I wanna brag one last time that I wrote that years ago (SBR times) that there will be an 8th part and in this part the main hero will be somehow main villain. I was right. (self highfive)

End of Spoiler

* I want sleeping under the matress intro for JoJoLion. Preferably naked.

My hype for this game getting bigger and bigger. Like Iggy said this is the game which makes waiting, expecting and speculating fun. I feel like waiting for an announced King of Fighters game. This game even know how to make an entrance to my life. The day before the announcement. I was staying with my friend and I was talking to him about JoJo on and on and on. I was telling him that how I wish SNK would make a KOF vs JOJO (one can wish). And the next morning he opened the announcement video put it in front of my face and wake me up. That was one of the great ways to wake someone up that you couldnt find on magazine advices.

karasu99
1067th Post

"Re(3):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Tue 19 Feb 01:38post reply

quote:
Jojo ASB infos

It's hard for me to tell if any of this is by design, but this feels so much (like Iggy I think previously said) the first hints of an upcoming KOF game from years ago in terms of how the info is being dribbled out. Part of it's got to be that I'm getting my updates on it exclusively through this site, where everyone has an approach to fighting games that's reminiscent of the old days of game news. Another part is that this being a fighting game based on a very popular series, that things like fanservice and intros are being included-- character-specific intros are something both very Jojo AND very old-style fighting game, which is undoubtedly why they're being included. I had been thinking that they way that characters are revealed in more recent fighters doesn't have quite the same impact that they used to, but here we are again, speculating about who will be included, waiting on each tiny bit of info that's being seen, micro-analysing videos and magazine images, all of which used to be hallmarks of upcoming fighting games.

I won't contribute to the speculations, but I've got to say that this game looks incredible! I literally can't wait to pay the atrocious amount of money to import it!

www.secret-arts.com

Pollyanna
3393th Post

"Re(3):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Tue 19 Feb 09:45post reply

Preordered, but I passed on the LE. The first press stuff is good enough.

quote:
* On a second thought it would be hard to include Ringo Roadagain. But they can always surprise me.

This makes me wonder...who is everyone's "vain hope for inclusion?" The character you want to see the most that's least likely to show up, I mean.

I'm going with Mikitaka. His power is versatile enough for inclusion, but he's just not nearly important enough. I'd love to see a puking dice move, though.

I think our most obvious future inclusions, other than the bosses are Buccellati and Koichi.

I wonder if we'll see another "boss version" Kira with his other face and Stray Cat. Also, although I doubt he'll be playable, I feel like they've got to include Rohan somehow.

We have quit a while until release, so that's good news for future character announcements.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
1068th Post

"Re(4):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Tue 19 Feb 13:24post reply

quote:

This makes me wonder...who is everyone's "vain hope for inclusion?" The character you want to see the most that's least likely to show up, I mean.
Also, although I doubt he'll be playable, I feel like they've got to include Rohan somehow.

We have quit a while until release, so that's good news for future character announcements.

Rohan was at least in a nice stylish scene in the one trailer! He may just be a bookend or something but he'd be hard to make playable. My personal wish is for Vanilla Ice and Cream, but there are already supposed to be a bunch of part 3 folks. So then... maybe one of the weird minor stand users from Steel Ball Run.

Agreed on the limited edition. Despite loving the series and game, I've got too much 'exclusive game crap' as it is. So first run it is.

www.secret-arts.com

Pollyanna
3394th Post

"Re(5):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Tue 19 Feb 13:32post reply

quote:

Rohan was at least in a nice stylish scene in the one trailer! He may just be a bookend or something but he'd be hard to make playable. My personal wish is for Vanilla Ice and Cream, but there are already supposed to be a bunch of part 3 folks. So then... maybe one of the weird minor stand users from Steel Ball Run.

I totally forgot about that! Buccellati is in there, too! Very clearly!

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9441th Post

"Re(4):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Tue 19 Feb 20:40post reply

quote:

I wanted the LE, but missed it... This thing flew away from virtual shelves at the speed of light, and is now available from virtual second-hand auctions around 50 000 yens. Oh well, I'll do as Polly suggested: use the difference to buy some Jojo items I actually want.

As for the future characters, I'd say Buccellati, Kôichi and Ceaser are given (plus Kars, Diavolo and Pucci). I'm even scared about Funny Valentine now (maybe he'll end up being a stage gimmick in the Love Train stage?). And no idea whether Dio part 1 will be there or not.
Probable inclusions: I'd say Lisalisa (because of the voice) and Weather (because of the 3D model for the gimmick) might be in. On the other hand, Weather is clearly visible during the whole fight, not merely when he calls the frogs... If he's not playable, either Annasui or F.F.
Kawajiri Kira + Stray Cat, Kars Ultimate Life Form, and maybe funky face hair Pucci might also be added at a later stage?
And that more or less wrap up my sure bets on the rest of the cast. Out of all these characters I'd say Buccellati is the most likely to end up DLC because, well, he's probably the best way to make even more lots of moneys.
quote:

I believe Ringo won't be playable, but he can totally be there either as a stage gimmick, a minigame... even a face in some menus, or loading screen if you decide to play in hardest difficulty...
Same for Rôhan. He'll probably be there in cutscenes, for example he's the one drawing the game IN REAL TIME. (And that would explain why the blood is black: it's actually ink!) If they want to put as many characters as possible, stage gimmicks is quite a good idea... though frustrating. If they go the DLC road full force, they could also sell new stages "with this character as a DLC!". I'm sure the Ringo stage will sell like hot cakes. Blackmore seems quite popular as well...

There's so many characters I'd want in the game I wouldn't know where to start... I think the least likely to appear would be Rizzotto. Not only is his power quite difficult to use in-game, it's also super violent (and that's probably why he was cut out from the Capcom game as well). But his fight is probably one of my favourite in part 5...
Another addition I'd be very happy to see would be Mariah, just because she was so fun to use in the Capcom game (though super weak). But enough part 3!

There's also a bunch of characters I could imagine possible to render in-game (Yukako doing things like KOF's Whip with her hair, Abbacchio with a sort of programmable stand, Vivianno Westfood as a grappler, Shigecchi (Harvest) would be quite fun and also offer a different body type compared to all the top models in the game, Enigma as a trap character, Chocolate Disco controlling the ground... Suzie Q possessed by Esidisi would make me laugh quite a lot as well), but the game would need to have 50 characters to include them.
Doppio could also be in the game instead of Diavolo, and Diavolo would be his GER super (especially if the transformation happens with the oh-so-fabulous "taking off his shirt" animation).

30 characters is a lot, and at the same time so little.

kofoguz
1029th Post

"Re(5):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Tue 19 Feb 23:52post reply

quote:
I wanted the LE, but missed it... This thing flew away from virtual shelves at the speed of light, and is now available from virtual second-hand auctions around 50 000 yens. Oh well, I'll do as Polly suggested: use the difference to buy some Jojo items I actually want.

As for the future characters, I'd say Buccellati, Kôichi and Ceaser are given (plus Kars, Diavolo and Pucci). I'm even scared about Funny Valentine now (maybe he'll end up being a stage gimmick in the Love Train stage?). And no idea whether Dio part 1 will be there or not.
Probable inclusions: I'd say Lisalisa (because of the voice) and Weather (because of the 3D model for the gimmick) might be in. On the other hand, Weather is clearly visible during the whole fight, not merely when he calls the frogs... If he's not playable, either Annasui or F.F.
Kawajiri Kira + Stray Cat, Kars Ultimate Life Form, and maybe funky face hair Pucci might also be added at a later stage?
And that more or less wrap up my sure bets on the rest of the cast. Out of all these characters I'd say Buccellati is the most likely to end up DLC because, well, he's probably the best way to make even more lots of moneys.
This makes me wonder...who is everyone's "vain hope for inclusion?" The character you want to see the most that's least li

Well how come you guys remember almost every character. I only remember them when their stands and history is mentioned. Otherwise I google them.Also like Mountain Tim I realized I forgot all about Ceaser, too when he was introduced in new anime.
Anyway, yes I sense stage gimmicks is due because of the favourite characters which are hard to add as playable characters. For example Superfly would be a great stage gimmick character who tries to trick characters into the telephone tower.

Fuu
11th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Wed 20 Feb 23:07post reply

I have the hunch that Medicos action figures releases are related to the cast of this game. Mostly I didn't expect the pillar men to have figures, and then bang! game is announced and Wamoo is in the first trailer. Or maybe they are very popular in Japan?

Just for reference, the latest Medicos releases are Fugo/Purple Haze and Spice Girl.

Professor
3663th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Thu 21 Feb 03:50post reply

quote:
Just for reference, the latest Medicos releases are Fugo/Purple Haze and Spice Girl.

I was actually thinking to myself "If Fugo is put into the game, he'd be almost a balance breaker as Super Kars and Pucci". Unless they go making his virus just give tick damage like some weak poisone effect of course.

Araki seems to sometimes just create the most overwhelmingly broken stands at time. And that's cool, because he's Araki.
When will he ever age?

kofoguz
1030th Post

"Re(8):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Thu 21 Feb 08:40post reply

quote:
Araki seems to sometimes just create the most overwhelmingly broken stands at time. And that's cool, because he's Araki.
When will he ever age?

Remember only Pucci and Araki is unaffected by Stairway to heaven. :)

Iggy
9445th Post

"Re(9):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Sun 24 Feb 02:58post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JchsO3YtaQ

No new reveal, but just... so cool.

Burning Ranger
1735th Post

"So..." , posted Mon 25 Feb 01:11post reply

...where is Tekken X Street Fighter? *Whistles*

Fuu
12th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Mon 25 Feb 05:11post reply

quote:

Secco could work well, and he would be pretty unique. Cioccolata could help a la J.Gail.

...I've been wasting time thinking about Diavolo's power, how do you guys figure they're going to represent it? I came up with a few options:

- yer olde time stop, lame;

- the ability to cancel damage received in the last x seconds( as in, I predicted the last x seconds and cancelled whatever you did);

- some kind of prediction mode that makes enemy attacks ineffectual, however a long combo that exceed its duration could overrule it(I'm thinking of Bucciarati that planned ahead)?

Pollyanna
3401th Post

"Re(5):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Mon 25 Feb 08:42post reply

quote:
Secco could work well, and he would be pretty unique. Cioccolata could help a la J.Gail.

Ahh! It'd be fun to have a team! They'd work better than Pesci and Prosciutto at least.

quote:
...I've been wasting time thinking about Diavolo's power, how do you guys figure they're going to represent it?

Well, I'm sure he'll have some cinematic super that uses it. It might be cool if it was a counter.

They can't really have him change the way the game functions, so it has to be something visual. My idea was that he would do something that didn't look like an attack (a pose or whatever) that had an invisible hitbox. When it hit, the characters would teleport as if time had passed and they were injured. That portrays the idea of "Diavolo understands what's going on, but the person being attacked does not" as well as "time is being erased."

If they did it as a "time stopped" visual for a super or something, maybe they could have the actions that occur during the erased time look like afterimages. Then the "real" person and their afterimage would line up violently at the end of the move. (if that makes any sense)

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

kofoguz
1031th Post

"Re(6):JoJo All Star Battle - PV #4" , posted Mon 25 Feb 09:38post reply

quote:
...I've been wasting time thinking about Diavolo's power, how do you guys figure they're going to represent it?
Well, I'm sure he'll have some cinematic super that uses it. It might be cool if it was a counter.

They can't really have him change the way the game functions, so it has to be something visual. My idea was that he would do something that didn't look like an attack (a pose or whatever) that had an invisible hitbox. When it hit, the characters would teleport as if time had passed and they were injured. That portrays the idea of "Diavolo understands what's going on, but the person being attacked does not" as well as "time is being erased."

If they did it as a "time stopped" visual for a super or something, maybe they could have the actions that occur during the erased time look like afterimages. Then the "real" person and their afterimage would line up violently at the end of the move. (if that makes any sense)

Well, Minus the black flames I think Saiki(human) is pretty much heavily influenced by Diavolo. Please read art-eater blog if you didnt read before. It's a good read and in the comments you can see the connection of ash/saiki- doppio/diavolo relation.

In Jojo they can use counting down the timer immediately. And when Cpu (or just boss)Diavolo attacks, time is gone, we get the clue from background and see the result. As player we get to see the signature moves, timestops and when it is back to normal we see the result again. It reveals what was done.

GekigangerV
1811th Post

"Skull Girls crowd sourcing begins" , posted Tue 26 Feb 07:50post reply

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/333003?show_todos=true

So like most of these type of things, there are stretch goals. The second one being ANOTHER character a male one at that. If it goes to $600K there will be a THIRD character.

So far the first goal is well on track. $72K as of this post and there are still 30 days to go.

I put down $30 to get the steam code and the soundtrack (was always meaning to pick it up but now was the perfect opportunity) and hopefully the next time I upgrade my laptop it will be capable to play games.

Pollyanna
3403th Post

"Re(1):Skull Girls crowd sourcing begins" , posted Tue 26 Feb 09:30post reply

quote:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/333003?show_todos=true

So like most of these type of things, there are stretch goals. The second one being ANOTHER character a male one at that. If it goes to $600K there will be a THIRD character.

So far the first goal is well on track. $72K as of this post and there are still 30 days to go.

I put down $30 to get the steam code and the soundtrack (was always meaning to pick it up but now was the perfect opportunity) and hopefully the next time I upgrade my laptop it will be capable to play games.

I wonder if they're highballing or they're getting a bum deal on recording. Standard rate for sound engineers is $50 an hour, actors get $200 and directors vary, but more than $50 would be ridiculous. Usually that's booked at 35 lines per hour, so they shouldn't need more than 3 hours for a fighting game. Adding the cost for mixing shouldn't bring it over $2000 and that might be included in "Audio implementation."

A lot of people have been shocked at the "sticker price" of their breakdown, so I thought I would speak on the one part I know a lot about.

I'm not saying they're ripping anyone off, but I don't know if these costs are representative of the norm. This may be due to their personal "less than ideal" situation.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
4550th Post

"Re(2):Skull Girls crowd sourcing begins" , posted Wed 27 Feb 08:42post reply

quote:
A lot of people have been shocked at the "sticker price" of their breakdown, so I thought I would speak on the one part I know a lot about.

I'm not saying they're ripping anyone off, but I don't know if these costs are representative of the norm. This may be due to their personal "less than ideal" situation.

I didn't really too much attention to the details of the cost breakdown since it looked like they were pulling those numbers out of a hat. Still, I think the grand total figures they were quoting sound about right, if maybe a bit on the low side. The people who were stunned at the cost forget that when you have a project that involves several people across different disciplines, equipment, and the money needed for dealing with outside companies the price is going to go up very quickly. So kudos to Skullgirls for finding a way to soldier on.

Grave
1481th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: eccothedolphin

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Skull Girls crowd sourcing begins" , posted Wed 27 Feb 14:37post reply

Yeah, I'll still file this all under "glad someone else is footing the bill for this shit" because as much as I think SG is fun, it doesn't approach functional for me until it has the lobbies I've been waiting for. Which, on console, it may never!

Same reason I won't touch AC+ on 360 or PS3. It's one thing for a small, struggling dev but for Arc to cheap out on something so important is infuriating.

Ishmael
4552th Post

"Re(4):Skull Girls crowd sourcing begins" , posted Thu 28 Feb 04:40post reply

That shark guy Stanley needs to be added to the game right now.

Pollyanna
3405th Post

"Re(5):Skull Girls crowd sourcing begins" , posted Thu 28 Feb 05:26post reply

quote:

You've got $400,000 lying around, right?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
4553th Post

"Re(6):Skull Girls crowd sourcing begins" , posted Thu 28 Feb 12:58post reply

quote:

You've got $400,000 lying around, right?

If I did I would tamper in God's domain have myself genetically altered into a shark guy.

Professor
3665th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Skull Girls crowd sourcing begins" , posted Fri 1 Mar 08:07post reply

It was quite a spectacular surprise to see the donation drive hit over 175K in under 24 hours after opening. I'm not sure if it'll be as smooth to reach its 600K's stretch goal (hopefully Autumn Games' situation will be resolved by then), but in the meanwhile, here's an interesting read about the animation costs for making a 2D fighter.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-little-fighting-game-that-could/1100-4587/

Ishmael
4554th Post

"Re(8):Skull Girls crowd sourcing begins" , posted Fri 1 Mar 23:17post reply

Two grizzled vets talk about how the one true love in their lives was the Vampire series.

Burning Ranger
1736th Post

"So..." , posted Thu 7 Mar 11:42post reply

...I started playing Capcom vs SNK 2 again on the old Dreamcast. It's interesting to play this 12-year old Dreamcast game with the hindsight gained after years of new 2D fighting games, not to mention the latest generation of Capcom fighters.

So, some random thoughts:
- Wow, the art in this game sucks on both sides. Being the big SNK fan, I used to love Shinkiro's stuff. However, it seemed like he phoned it in for CvS2. Also, Capcom's art is hit or miss. I mean the Capcom art for Iori makes him look sad to be in the game.
- Sound effects: It really sounds weird to hear Cammy's voice after playing SF4 and SFxTekken.
- Groovin': Back in the old days, I tried sticking with what I knew (as an SNK fan), so I stuck to using N-Groove fairly consistently. Now, I find myself playing C-Groove, which isn't quite so bad.
- Why the hell hasn't Ken's "Crack Shoot" made it into other Capcom games?
- Why does Ryu suck in this game?
- Finally, after 12 years, I still love this game's music (True Story: I worked out to the London BGM today).

Mosquiton
1854th Post

"Re(1):So..." , posted Thu 7 Mar 16:16post reply

quote:

So, some random thoughts:
- Wow, the art in this game sucks on both sides. Being the big SNK fan, I used to love Shinkiro's stuff. However, it seemed like he phoned it in for CvS2. Also, Capcom's art is hit or miss. I mean the Capcom art for Iori makes him look sad to be in the game.

Iori is reflecting on the true meaning of fightinf, dude! I actually really dig almost all of the Kinu art for this game and think there some good Akimans here and there.

But my favorite thing is how Vice plays with all her throw follow-ups and the anti-air whip sleeve. Great incarnation of the character although she's not that strong overall.

XIII made up for it maybe, she's quite the beast (or was, depending on the version? I couldn't keep up.

But yeah, awesome game and amazing soundtrack.

/ / /

Grave
1484th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: eccothedolphin

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):So..." , posted Fri 8 Mar 01:12:post reply

quote:
- Why the hell hasn't Ken's "Crack Shoot" made it into other Capcom games?

It's a Sean move - the master (heh heh) learning from the student! Pretty sure Sean's had it since NG, but yeah, I really wanted Ken to have that and for Ryu to have the mule kick in SF4, but oh well...

edit: I forgot words

[this message was edited by Grave on Fri 8 Mar 03:47]

Pollyanna
3409th Post

"Re(2):So..." , posted Fri 8 Mar 07:55post reply

quote:
But my favorite thing is how Vice plays with all her throw follow-ups and the anti-air whip sleeve. Great incarnation of the character although she's not that strong overall.

CvS2 is a bad game for me. It doesn't have a lot of characters I like and the ones I do like don't play how I like them to. Crazy that I like to use half of the cast in any given KOF, but Vice is the ONLY KOF character I enjoy in CvS2. The game is much kinder to SF2 fans.

But yeah, that soundtrack is one of my all-time favorites. Really nice atmosphere.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Burning Ranger
1737th Post

"Re(3):So..." , posted Fri 8 Mar 10:14post reply

quote:

CvS2 is a bad game for me. It doesn't have a lot of characters I like and the ones I do like don't play how I like them to. Crazy that I like to use half of the cast in any given KOF, but Vice is the ONLY KOF character I enjoy in CvS2. The game is much kinder to SF2 fans.

I agree with this sentiment. There's obvious disparities (Kyo, for example), and those that, while similar to their original incarnations, just doesn't cut it (King and Kim).

I wonder: does anyone feel the same way about SFxTekken? I don't really spend a lot of time playing Tekken, but I do know that it feels weird controlling the Tekken side characters with their alien button inputs.

Mosquiton
1855th Post

"Re(3):So..." , posted Fri 8 Mar 13:10post reply

quote:

But yeah, that soundtrack is one of my all-time favorites. Really nice atmosphere.

I thought Rock came out pretty fun to use (although again, not that strong), but you're probably right in saying SNK characters kind of got the shaft.

I typically used Vice, Rock, and Cammy, trying to HK and spike enough life with Cammy, chip away with Vice, and go for a cool-looking finish with Rock. It worked every once in a while.

/ / /

badoor
296th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK/PSVITA:BadoorUSA
XBL: BadoorSNK/WiiU:BadoorSNK
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341

Copper Customer

"Re(4):So..." , posted Fri 8 Mar 22:27post reply

CvS2 was THE game that got me to go deep into fighting games. I spent so many hours on training mode or looking on forums or GameFAQs to learn to better my skills.

I did casually like fighters early on like SF2, AOF, SamSho etc. But I checked out when I was not impressed with either SFA or KOF94 and focused on Virtua Fighter & other 3D fighters. I got back a little on the Dreamcast with KOF99 and the 1st CvS. But CvS2 was the seminal game for me.

After CvS2 I started working backward, playing older KOFs mainly and a few older Capcom fighters (and of course following on with newer KOFs). So it's ironic that my fighting game "career" was born when many in the press decried this genre as dead.
quote:
but you're probably right in saying SNK characters kind of got the shaft.

There are a few characters that I feel comfortable with on the SNK side. Terry & Rock feel pretty faithful (surprisingly with Rock, he feels more natural here than in NGBC).

And Yamazaki plays great, probably because he isn't dependent on command attack combos or juggling or other factors that feel different in KOF from SF. He has his zoning attacks, his grapples, and his Geese Counter™, all of which are adapted pretty well.

On the other hand, Ryo (both his sprite and his moveset) is just a mess. He looks like he has a permanent 5 o'clock shadow and his zanretsuken looks cartoony. And yes, I recognize that Ryo is the fighting games universe's #1 shoto-clone, but I always preferred him in his newer non-projectile style of later KOFs.

Oh and "True Love Making" is an amazing track.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/

Ishmael
4556th Post

"Re(4):So..." , posted Sat 9 Mar 04:37post reply

quote:
I agree with this sentiment. There's obvious disparities (Kyo, for example), and those that, while similar to their original incarnations, just doesn't cut it (King and Kim).

Sometimes I feel as if I'm one of the few people who does not think that "SNK" is a variant spelling of "KoF." Unless Kim is able to hop into the background and King is reading Gertrude Stein they are not their original incarnations as far as I'm concerned. Looking back on it I was happy that the SNK characters who have low/mid/high attacks were once again given the proper button set-up in CvS2 instead of being shoe-horned into KoF's two punch/two kick system. Yamazaki's snake strike makes sense in games such as RBFF and CvS2 but becomes unintuitive when pressed into a title such as KoF98. A kick button makes him waggle his arm around? Really?

quote:
I wonder: does anyone feel the same way about SFxTekken? I don't really spend a lot of time playing Tekken, but I do know that it feels weird controlling the Tekken side characters with their alien button inputs.

Outside of the objective of punching the other guy until don't get up any more I personally don't think there is a lot of overlap between Tekken and SF. Because of this the Tekken cast in SFxT feel, to me, like they need to be approached as they are in this game instead of mentally comparing them to how they are when they are competing in the King of Iron Fist. Oddly, I have heard that one of the many problems that SFxT had when it first came out is that people insisted on playing it as if it were SF4 due to the SF cast having pretty much the same designs. I wonder, did people try to play XMvsSF as if it were SFA2 due to the all the Alpha sprites?

Spoon
2395th Post

"Re(5):So..." , posted Sat 9 Mar 08:18post reply

The overall difficulty in comboing off of short jump made all characters feel awkward if you tried to play like it was KOF.

Kyo have barely any autoguard was weird.

Iori was good in CvS2!

Rock didn't feel quite as dynamic as he does in Garou (I blame the weaker visual effects on his special moves, and the lack of freeform cancelling on a number of moves), but he's quite a strong character.

Guile needs to be pointed out among all characters because he was implemented in a really good way in this game. He had this grinding advance that really set him apart from the significant majority of the other versions of him.

Yamazaki was overall good except for his weird knife slash move. It was little more than combo fodder, but the LP and MP versions of it seemed to have no purpose at all.

King was awkward and had one highly situational crossup among her jumping normals. She looked awesome, though!

Todoh was good for reasons that were dumb.

Ryo was sluggish and awkward. He didn't had the power of AOF Ryo, he didn't have the fluidity of KOF Ryo. He had an air fireball, but really, wth?

Joe was sluggish, but arguably more like FF Joe.

Hibiki was good, but she definitely had none of the fluidity she had in LB.

------

I could yammer on about the others, but overall the SNK characters felt very stiff to play. They looked great (Rugal! King!), but they didn't feel like themselves. Even by Capcom standards, the game was kind of stiff (think about the freewheeling Marvel and Vs. series games that so captured the imagination leading up to the Dreamcast!)

Still, I had lots of people to play it with, so I loved it anyway.

Professor
3668th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):So..." , posted Sat 9 Mar 09:38post reply

quote:

Leaving aside CvS since it's a dream match thing, I'd pretty much agree that the Fatal Fury/AOF characters aren't canon incarnations of themselves in the KOF series. Both movement wise and storyline wise, some of them just don't fit, or they've been completely changed and feels like a different character.

CvS2 though, some of the animations are really spectacular. Geese's counter throws for example feel more authentic to Aikido movement than their originals in FF.

SfxT... I haven't played it much since the recent update patch but the Tekken characters just didn't seem to fit in with the SF based system back in the previous version. I use Asuka and the update seems to have made her more powerful and better at defense, but she still lacks ways of getting into the opponent.

Ishmael
4559th Post

"Re(6):So... Vampire Savior" , posted Fri 15 Mar 01:00post reply

I've always loved Vampire Savior so I'm thrilled that it has received yet another home release. The folks who put the package together were even nice enough to throw in Vampire Hunter as a useless bonus feature.

But while I a glad to have a game that features "scan lines" as a settings option I have encountered a few odd quirks. The oddest is that during online matches I will sometimes kill off the first health bar of an opponent and even hear the end-round sound effects only to find that the other player didn't take any damage and kept their initial bar. It really throws off the match when the other player magically resurrects halfway through the fight.

Still, that's an online quibble. Mostly I'm simply happy that VS slipped through with a Teen rating and that Morrigan's typo where she wants to "feel the acme now" has been faithfully reproduced.

Nekros
545th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):So... Vampire Revengeance" , posted Fri 15 Mar 17:13:post reply

To be honest I'm pretty in love with the series, is my favorite fighting franchise and Savior is one of my favorite games of all time. My opinion may be a little over-excited but I think this port is something it has to be but it's a bit late to the party.
Frankly, there are sound issues I can't simply forgive: in Hunter the final stage music is playing even the ending scene if it's silent (ie: Aulbath) and in Savior when you see the chart presenting the next opponent plays the music from Hunter selection screen instead of its own.
This and MAME having better filtering options are the only flaws the games have. The collection on the other hand has the GREATER flaw of all: not being complete or at least not presenting the game with proper devotion. A complete cast Vampire Savior or a Saturn port or even a Chronicle port was the better choice. Not "infinte juggles" Vampire Savior.
This being said, I enjoy the games a lot, even Hunter. Playing this collection it's clear how Capcom was so interesting back then: tons of animations, balancing, interesting and varied roster, good music. This is something you can't find nowadays, at least in modern Capcom games.
Online plays fine, I haven't encountered a single problem like Ishmael said, maybe I'm just lucky (played only with EU and USA players).

PS: The western version of VS has the blood in, I recall it having white blood (even the bloodstained cloth in Forever Torment was clean)

LAST MINUTE UPDATE: Capcom D&D collection is coming to PS3 and 360!! Imagine Shadow Over Mystara with online multiplayer....

[this message was edited by Nekros on Fri 15 Mar 17:17]

Professor
3685th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Capcom Gals Onimusha SNS thingy" , posted Fri 15 Mar 21:02:post reply

http://members.oni-soul.jp/payment/cap_heroines/
Man, that is... interesting. There's some rare characters I've never imagined to see anytime soon too, like Ingrid and Akira. For the character roster at the bottom, you can right-click to see their full portraits like this. Pity how the SNS card games are getting all the best artworks nowadays.

Also, Vampire Artworks is now out. Here's a review of the 224page thick thing. For anyone wanting to pick it up, the ISBN is below.

ISBN-10: 4862333893
ISBN-13: 978-4862333896

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 15 Mar 21:07]

Nekros
545th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Capcom Gals Onimusha SNS thingy" , posted Fri 15 Mar 22:44post reply

quote:
Man, that is... interesting. There's some rare characters I've never imagined to see anytime soon too, like Ingrid and Akira.

Akira is amazing!

If anyone interested, here are the winners of the Vampire character creation contest: httpww.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2013/02/01/darkstalkers-embrace-the-dark-contest-results

The first place has somewhat a warzard touch, interesting but nothing exceptional. There are design more suitable for Vampire, like the squid girl and the Sandman guy. Very nice ideas also in the undead blondie, the disco minotaur and the redneck/parasite hybrid (reminds me of Earthworm Jim designs).

Ishmael
4562th Post

"Re(1):Capcom Gals Onimusha SNS thingy" , posted Fri 15 Mar 23:21post reply

quote:
PS: The western version of VS has the blood in, I recall it having white blood (even the bloodstained cloth in Forever Torment was clean)

It was a little thing but I loved that the blood was turned back on. The blood is hardly gratuitous and with all the other crazy shit in the game it came across as a particularly silly bit of editing.

quote:
LAST MINUTE UPDATE: Capcom D&D collection is coming to PS3 and 360!! Imagine Shadow Over Mystara with online multiplayer....

What terrific, unexpected news!

quote:
Man, that is... interesting. There's some rare characters I've never imagined to see anytime soon too, like Ingrid and Akira. For the character roster at the bottom, you can right-click to see their full portraits like this. Pity how the SNS card games are getting all the best artworks nowadays.

I like how when they level up their outfits become simultaneously more elaborate and more revealing. Cammy may need to see a chiropractor.

quote:
Also, Vampire Artworks is now out. Here's a review of the 224page thick thing. For anyone wanting to pick it up, the ISBN is below.

ISBN-10: 4862333893
ISBN-13: 978-4862333896

A lot of game artbooks seem to get a western release nowadays so do I wait? Decisions, decisions...

Loona
683th Post

"Re(1):Capcom Gals Onimusha SNS thingy" , posted Tue 19 Mar 00:24post reply

quote:

Interesting!
Maybe it's the alternate outfits, but I'm not recognizing some of the (upcoming?) girls, like the one between Tron and Devilotte and the ones right of Ada Wong.

There's also a Sengoku Basara character pack - Onimusha and that get so easily confused in my mind, as I've played neither and as far as I know they both go for a "Oda Nobunaga wasn't just ruthless, he was actual demonic evil" thing, it's kinda surprising it took this long for them to crossover in some form.

There's also a couple of other character packs in there, but I can't tell if they're originals or from some more obscure game.

As for that Darkstalkers book, it's interesting it even covers alternate outfits used in Cross Edge - being an Idea Factory thing that only uses a few Darkstalkers characters, for what I've played of it so far it actually seemed to use as many alternate outfits as displayed in the actual series (and did Jedah some justice in terms of role in that world). It doesn't seem typical of Capcom to use artwork from other companies in their artbooks.

On the topic of crossovers, it was interesting to read about the RE4 and L4D2 collaboration for the PC, mostly consisting on each game borrowing the other's monsters, and L4D characters getting a specific playstyle/weaponset in RE6, since those are all thing that bring bits of each game's ameplay to the other.
So it's odd that, if I'm understanding things correctly, Capcom is trying to get its fans to handle the work of making RE character skins for L4E - and if that is the case, I don't know if I'm more concerned about Capcom pushing the owrk on the fans, or Valve not doing some playable character customization itself - but i haven't played L4E, so maybe the characters are supposed to play identically and just be affected by the weapons they pick up...

Professor
3689th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Capcom Gals Onimusha SNS thingy" , posted Tue 19 Mar 10:44:post reply

quote:
Maybe it's the alternate outfits, but I'm not recognizing some of the (upcoming?) girls, like the one between Tron and Devilotte and the ones right of Ada Wong.

As for that Darkstalkers book, it's interesting it even covers alternate outfits used in Cross Edge - being an Idea Factory thing that only uses a few Darkstalkers characters, for what I've played of it so far it actually seemed to use as many alternate outfits as displ

Girl next to Tron with the black cap: Usagi Kurokawa from GameCube's Gotcha Force. Weird they'd reference from a kid's game.
Girl next to Ada: Kay Faraday/Mikumo Ichijou from Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth/Gyakuten Kenji.
Girl at the bottom right: Maya/Mayoi from Ace Attorney, albeit with her upgraded costume.

Here's an additional bunch of screenshots, some of them are plain hilarious. The filenames should be self-explanatory. You'll get a 503 error if you try to load more than one image from the server at a time.

http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/375/devilot.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/372/torish.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/376/mayoi.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/348/ni-na.PNG
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/349/nina2.PNG
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/354/jiru.PNG
http://download2.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/360/mikumo.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/366/baletta.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/368/reirei.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/369/kurea.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/370/usagi.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/358/Ada.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/356/Silvia.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/373/lady.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/371/kirie.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/374/tron.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/377/omake1.jpg
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/378/omake2.jpg

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 19 Mar 11:03]

Iggy
9456th Post

"Re(3):Capcom Gals Onimusha SNS thingy" , posted Wed 20 Mar 04:32post reply

quote:
Girl next to Tron with the black cap: Usagi Kurokawa from GameCube's Gotcha Force. Weird they'd reference from a kid's game.

I'm going to say "Kid 10 years ago = current young bored adult with more disposable income than common sense"?

Loona
685th Post

"Re(3):Capcom Gals Onimusha SNS thingy" , posted Thu 21 Mar 01:23:post reply

Thanks Professor!

It's a bit odd how most of those aren't even listed on the site though, not that's it's particularly well organized...

While I'm at it, I wasn't able to identify this one:

quote:
http://dl1.getuploader.com/g/oni_soul/371/kirie.jpg

Edit: Nevermind, it seems she's Kyrie from DMC, whom as far as I can tell is strictly an NPC in her series.

[this message was edited by Loona on Thu 21 Mar 01:35]

GekigangerV
1813th Post

"Re(2):Skull Girls crowd sourcing begins" , posted Thu 21 Mar 07:09post reply

quote:

I wonder if they're highballing or they're getting a bum deal on recording. Standard rate for sound engineers is $50 an hour, actors get $200 and directors vary, but more than $50 would be ridiculous. Usually that's booked at 35 lines per hour, so they shouldn't need more than 3 hours for a fighting game. Adding the cost for mixing shouldn't bring it over $2000 and that might be included in "Audio implementation."

Thanks for the breakdown. I have been meaning to reply earlier but haven't had much free time. I don't have my consoles with me right now so I just took a quick look at a youtube run and as far as I can tell there are no voices for story mode so they wouldn't have to bring in the old voice actresses to do dialogue so it would all be the new characters and I guess the announcer.

The are at $484,465 as of this posting with a week left to go. I am having my doubts about them reaching the $600,000 for the third character. I guess the donations really slowed down when they really didn't get approval for a Team Fortress 2 hat. It was a very big mistake for them to try and say something like that without final approval. They added a new tier at $600 for a printed out "animation cel" which would be kind of nice to have.

Some of the new character deigns look nice. I like the anvil dude just because I like boxers in fighting games. Then there is the guy with the steel chair. But I am leaning towards the dominatrix chick simply because I am a sucker for high-hip leotards.

chazumaru
974th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Capcom Gals Onimusha SNS thingy" , posted Fri 22 Mar 01:17post reply

quote:

Doesn't this game have a weird cult following among a niche of adults as well?
I remember it kept getting re-printed up until last year (as far as I know it is by far the longest running Gamecube release).

78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 秩序は廻る ♪ 78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 未来を示す

Iggy
9463th Post

"Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Tue 26 Mar 02:59:post reply

Who would have thought? Even one character sounded like an uphill battle, and yet here is the 3rd one.
http://www.labzerogames.com/3rdcharacter/
Laser beam shark or telephone tachikoma ?

[this message was edited by Iggy on Tue 26 Mar 02:59]

Spoon
2401th Post

"Re(1):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Tue 26 Mar 04:17post reply

quote:
Who would have thought? Even one character sounded like an uphill battle, and yet here is the 3rd one.

Science Upper!
And inspired by Street Sharks!

Shark and tele-koma would have my vote, as well.

karasu99
1090th Post

"Re(2):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Tue 26 Mar 05:01post reply

quote:

Science Upper!
And inspired by Street Sharks!

Shark and tele-koma would have my vote, as well.

I'm frankly amazed at the pace they picked up! It looked like it had stalled as of... what, Friday? But now there's 'just' $10K to go. It's crazy!

I'll be voting for Panzerfaust. Fighting games need another Neinhalt Sieger style big-armed guy.

www.secret-arts.com

Spoon
2402th Post

"Re(3):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Tue 26 Mar 05:47post reply

quote:
Fighting games need another Neinhalt Sieger style big-armed guy.

I was always disturbed by how it seemed like his waist seemed like it was as narrow as those of the ladies in SS2.

He-Man-Heart I would vote for, but I would prefer a totally original character. But in the end I just find the notion of a boxing shark scientist too amusing.

badoor
302th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Tue 26 Mar 15:48post reply

quote:
Fighting games need another Neinhalt Sieger style big-armed guy.

I was always disturbed by how it seemed like his waist seemed like it was as narrow as those of the ladies in SS2.

He-Man-Heart I would vote for, but I would prefer a totally original character. But in the end I just find the notion of a boxing shark scientist too amusing.

I'm more inclined with Umbrella since she apparently is inspired by Wario's fart.

There's lots of weird stuff in the gameplay inspirations so be sure to read them.

Loona
685th Post

"Re(3):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Tue 26 Mar 19:57post reply

quote:
I'll be voting for Panzerfaust. Fighting games need another Neinhalt Sieger style big-armed guy.

Oddly, time-traveller Isaac, whom Mike pretty much already started implementing mechanics-wise (he demostrated the mechanics using a modified Cerebella on a stream, someone posted the video at NeoGAF), has Sieger listed as an inspiration.

Beowulf and Roxie look cool me me, though I'm not too sure if I'd be comfortable with their specific mechanics.

Iggy
9463th Post

"Re(4):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Tue 26 Mar 20:58post reply

quote:
Oddly, time-traveller Isaac, whom Mike pretty much already started implementing mechanics-wise (he demostrated the mechanics using a modified Cerebella on a stream, someone posted the video at NeoGAF), has Sieger listed as an inspiration.

From the way they're pushing him, I suppose Isaac is almost a given... But they probably use the vote for eventual expansions/sequels if they ever get a chance to make one?
Well, creating 3 more characters is probably to take them a full year, and I also hope they have another non-Skullgirls project by the side. But at least they managed to flesh up the universe of the game, plus create enough word-to-mouth.
Now, is it going to translate into more sales and more money for them...?

Professor
3698th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Tue 26 Mar 23:23post reply

625K GOAL REACHED and still going!!

Ishmael
4571th Post

"Re(4):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Tue 26 Mar 23:48post reply

Hell's bells, they actually pulled it off. Congrats to the Skullgirls team.

quote:

From Sieger's pants to Terry's jeans, SNK in that time period was all about tight clothes. Yamazaki really lost something when he switched to a turtleneck and vest outfit instead of a t-shirt that was far, far too small.

Getting back to Skullgirls, the fight for the third spot is going to be fun but there are obviously already some frontrunners. Some characters look like the sort of character that would appear in the background of a playable character's storyline. While they help fill up the screen they aren't ready to graduate to the character select screen. Others -such as that awful mash-up of Fullmetal Alchemist and Arcana Heart- are too on the nose when it comes to their references and should be discarded. But even with that there are still several viable characters still in the running. Will it be Eliza with her Art Deco styling and her odd sounding playstyle? Will someone figure out how to make Marie be something other than a huge, cheap boss? Or will it... oh, come on, it's all about the shark guy.

Ishmael
4573th Post

"Re(5):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Fri 29 Mar 02:44post reply

Double post!

First, congrats to Skullgirls for blowing the doors off their fundraising goals.

Second, Tougeki officially up and died. The only suprise here is that it took so long to get the death certificate sent out.

Megane
562th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Fri 29 Mar 16:09post reply

*deactivate lurking module*

I need to fist bump and high five those who will be voting for Stanley the Science Shark. Select your Favorite!

Rumor has it, though, that the Japanese fans will be largely voting for Marie the Skull-Maido. Anybody else hoping that Big Band isn't the only playable dude in the game?

Anyway:
Voting will go as follows:
Four rounds of voting
- 1st round: All characters, 3 votes
- 2nd round: Top 16 from 1st round, 3 votes
- 3rd round: Top 8 from 2nd round, 3 votes
- 4th round: Top 3 from 3rd round, 1 vote
Polls will be e-mailed directly to all contributors.

Since we will be voting on two characters, each will have its own voting process, so the two campaigns don’t interfere with the other.

PSN:BlakeMaxwell3

Iggy
9467th Post

"Re(7):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Fri 29 Mar 22:41post reply

quote:
Rumor has it, though, that the Japanese fans will be largely voting for Marie the Skull-Maido. Anybody else hoping that Big Band isn't the only playable dude in the game?

Stanley has my main vote, that's for sure.
As for the Japanese fans, I'm really curious to know how many of them actually donated (and thus will participate to the vote). It seems like something so foreign to them, I can't imagine many of them going through the process...

Megane
563th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Sat 30 Mar 00:40post reply

quote:
Stanley has my main vote, that's for sure.
As for the Japanese fans, I'm really curious to know how many of them actually donated (and thus will participate to the vote). It seems like something so foreign to them, I can't imagine many of them going through the process...

No idea, I was just regurgitating what I've read from NeoGAF and other websites. That said, it must be significant enough, because the indiegogo fundraiser has a Japanese translation version.

Although! Lab Zero forgot to update it, as it was still stuck in the 625k rewards stuff during the final hours.

Lastly, High five, brofist, best of luck to us Scions of the Science Shark.

PSN:BlakeMaxwell3

Loona
687th Post

"Re(7):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Sat 30 Mar 01:30:post reply

quote:
*deactivate lurking module*

I need to fist bump and high five those who will be voting for Stanley the Science Shark. Select your Favorite!

Anyway:
Voting will go as follows:
Four rounds of voting
- 1st round: All characters, 3 votes
- 2nd round: Top 16 from 1st round, 3 votes
- 3rd round: Top 8 from 2nd round, 3 votes
- 4th round: Top 3 from 3rd round, 1 vote
Polls will be e-mailed directly to all contributors.

Since we will be voting on two characters, each will have its own voting process, so the two campaigns don’t interfere with the other.

Apparently it'll be 4 votes, not 3, durnig the first round.

Also, 4th character was funded, with the amount reached in the final minute (I woke up just in time to see it and pitch in, man the thrill...).

dramatization of how it happened.

It's all about Beowulf, and while I'm not fully into her design (that Sagat-eyepatch-syndrome horn), Scythana sounds like a mashup between Dhalsim and Kim, which feels perfect for me.
Panzerfaust has the most SNK indpirations, so I'm kinda inclined to root for the guy.

[this message was edited by Loona on Mon 1 Apr 19:51]

Professor
3701th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Mon 1 Apr 19:40post reply

quote:
It's all about Beowulf, and while I'm not fully into her design (that Sagat-eyepatch-syndrome horn), Scythana sounds like a mashup between Dhalsim and Kim, which feels perfect for me.
Panzerfaust has the most SNK indpirations, so I'm kinda inclined to root for the guy.

829K is really something-- hells, it's almost a million! I wouldn't be surprised if this was a first for a videogames project on Indiegogo. Eliza, Umbrella, Stanley, Mrs.Victoria... hummm.

On a different news, aside from Tougeki/SBO coming to a close, Arcadia magazine is also taking a small step down as it's no longer going to be published monthly. From now on it'll be released once per two months, meaning only 6 issues an year.

Ishmael
4575th Post

"Re(9):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funded" , posted Mon 1 Apr 22:44post reply

quote:
On a different news, aside from Tougeki/SBO coming to a close, Arcadia magazine is also taking a small step down as it's no longer going to be published monthly. From now on it'll be released once per two months, meaning only 6 issues an year.

Are there going to be any format changes to Arcadia or is it going to be the same magazine published less frequently? Either way, that change doesn't say good things about either the Japanese arcade scene or the print format for that particular niche interest.

Professor
3705th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Skullgirl's 3rd character almost funde" , posted Mon 1 Apr 23:48:post reply

quote:
Are there going to be any format changes to Arcadia or is it going to be the same magazine published less frequently? Either way, that change doesn't say good things about either the Japanese arcade scene or the print format for that particular niche interest.

The Jp arcade scene is a mere shadow of what it was back in the mid-late 90s. For example, there used to be about 7 arcades around my area-- now, there's only 1. There used to be all sorts of players, but now there's only hardcore players left when it comes to arcade games, which are typically placed in the back of the store or in the basement floor.

From what I understand, the magazine will be focusing more on card games like Lord of Vermillion and also on the arcade-exclusive cabinets (the huge machines) that probably won't get ported to consoles as a way to gain new readers. I'm not sure how much focus there'll still be on arcade games, though I'm sure they'll still be covered.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 1 Apr 23:50]

GekigangerV
1815th Post

"Injustice Demo out, Skull Girls voting begins" , posted Wed 3 Apr 10:19post reply

I only played it for a few minutes as I am a bit busy. I hope to get a bit more free time on the weekend though.

The first thing I notice is that it is official, Netherrealm just flat out sucks at animating fighting. I gave them a pass on MK9 as I thought it was a throw back to the original style of the 2D MK games. But some of this shit is embarrassing. Absolutely no movement of the hips in kicks or punches. Completely awkward fighting stances for Batman and Wonder Woman. Doomsdays special moves look alright, but that is about it.

I just couldn't get into it anymore after my first arcade mode run.

In other news, the Skull Girls 3rd character voting began this week for donators to the indiegogo campaign. I went with Andy, Beowulf, Violet and Samson. I was disappointed not seeing real-life or specific "Hajime no Ippo" references under Andy's "inspired by" section although he has characters who themselves have "Ippo" moves, Dudley/Steve. It kind of makes me doubt they can give me a great new boxing game character.

karasu99
1096th Post

"Re(1):Injustice Demo out, Skull Girls voting " , posted Thu 4 Apr 02:30post reply

quote:
I only played it for a few minutes as I am a bit busy. I hope to get a bit more free time on the weekend though.

The first thing I notice is that it is official, Netherrealm just flat out sucks at animating fighting. I gave them a pass on MK9 as I thought it was a throw back to the original style of the 2D MK games. But some of this shit is embarrassing. Absolutely no movement of the hips in kicks or punches. Completely awkward fighting stances for Batman and Wonder Woman. Doomsdays special moves look alright, but that is about it.

I just couldn't get into it anymore after my first arcade mode run.

I had a few minutes before work this morning to play, after seeing the demo was up.

And... it plays pretty much exactly like MK9, unsurprisingly. You're absolutely right about the shitty animation and the awkward stances. It's weird that they made the choice to use completely unique outfits (I'm right on this... right? Sorry, the DCU changes so often I can't keep up with which Wonder Woman design is current ).

I like Luthor's super, but Batman's is honestly just dumb looking, completely with his old school MK-looking flip over the Batmobile at the end.

Still, a lot of the environmental interactions are pretty nicely done, and it looks like it will have a ton of value for the money, like MK9 did. It's just not so much my thing.

www.secret-arts.com

Ishmael
4577th Post

"The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Thu 4 Apr 08:23post reply

I tried out the Injustice demo as well and... yeah, that's not my thing. I agree with everyone else that the animation was really poor and awkward. Every character felt clunky and puny which is not the sensation you want to have from a superhero. I also wasn't too thrilled with the design choices. From the weird Freddie Mercury vibe Wonder Woman was giving off to spending the entire match wondering how Lex Luthor could operate his robo suit without pulling his limbs out of their sockets I wasn't too keen on how it looked. Speaking of the look, I was surprised to find that MK body damage made it into the game. My personal favorite was when I noticed Doomsday had a big, open gash across his butt. Thank you Netherrealm.

Judging from the post-game promo there is plenty of non-fighting stuff stuffed in like stuffing, including a platforming section with a cat. That's what I look for in my fighting games.

Professor
3706th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Thu 4 Apr 19:59post reply

quote:
I tried out the Injustice demo as well and... yeah, that's not my thing. I agree with everyone else that the animation was really poor and awkward. Every character felt clunky and puny which is not the sensation you want to have from a superhero.

Batman punches like a sissy.
I shouldnt've picked him on my first try, left a sour taste.

Did they purposely make these MK-style animation? Like everyone is saying, it's hideous. All the money seems to have gone into the modelings, which are pretty good when it comes to the backgrounds. As far as the characters go, they don't do much justice to the renderings of themselves in the title/opening screen.

Baines
342th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Fri 5 Apr 14:49post reply

quote:
Did they purposely make these MK-style animation? Like everyone is saying, it's hideous. All the money seems to have gone into the modelings, which are pretty good when it comes to the backgrounds. As far as the characters go, they don't do much justice to the renderings of themselves in the title/opening screen.

When Netherrealm were making the 3D MK games, people were actually positive about the stiff and sometimes silly animation, because it was reminiscent of the look of the 2D MK games.

Thinking about it, I'd really like to know whether it is intentional, having become their "style". Or it is just that they have no talent at animation. Or a combination of the two, and they now have no interest in improving because it would cost them their recognizable style.

Pollyanna
3429th Post

"Re(3):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Fri 5 Apr 15:56post reply

quote:

Thinking about it, I'd really like to know whether it is intentional, having become their "style". Or it is just that they have no talent at animation. Or a combination of the two, and they now have no interest in improving because it would cost them their recognizable style.

I would say they have no talent, because not only are the moves poorly-animated, they're poorly thought out. Like in a "what is this person even DOING?" kind of way. Regardless, I had fun with the demo. The quick reference move list was nice as was the frame data on every move. This might be totally normal for Mortal Kombat and I'm just not used to it, though.

It might not be a bad "Buy two games get this one free" pick for me or even a full-price purchase if I had enough friends who were into it, but since I'm not a fan of DC, MK or ugly things, its appeal is only so great.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
1097th Post

"Re(4):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Sat 6 Apr 00:37post reply

quote:

I would say they have no talent, because not only are the moves poorly-animated, they're poorly thought out. Like in a "what is this person even DOING?" kind of way. Regardless, I had fun with the demo. The quick reference move list was nice as was the frame data on every move. This might be totally normal for Mortal Kombat and I'm just not used to it, though.

I hate to think it's a lack of talent on the developer's part, since I know how hard it is to get a complex project like this made, but... yeah, totally agree. The stances look wooden, the characters' attack motions look like they were pulled directly from MK1 or 2, and honestly even some of the models don't look that great (to me anyway). I think the resemblance to MK has got to intentional.

The worst thing for me is that people are really gushing over this game, both from the look to the gameplay. I don't see what's so great personally, but everybody's got their likes and dislikes, huh?
quote:

It might not be a bad "Buy two games get this one free" pick for me or even a full-price purchase if I had enough friends who were into it, but since I'm not a fan of DC, MK or ugly things, its appeal is only so great.

My prediction is that a year from now this will show up on the Vita with all its inevitable pricey DLC bundled with it (like MK9 did) and I'll get it then for playing around with in my spare time.

www.secret-arts.com

chazumaru
987th Post

"Re(2):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Sat 6 Apr 04:41post reply

quote:
From what I understand, the magazine will be focusing more on card games like Lord of Vermillion and also on the arcade-exclusive cabinets (the huge machines) that probably won't get ported to consoles as a way to gain new readers.

This is already what Dengeki Arcade is doing, right? I guess it also makes it easier to bundle incentives such as exclusive cards etc. But I was told by a guy in the arcade business last year that the trend for card games in arcades was fading quickly.

Speaking of huge machines, is that Square-Enix Gunslinger game made by the 3rd Strike developers gaining any attraction at all? I saw a dedicated mook+DVD in Kyoto a couple of days ago.

quote:
As far as the characters go, they don't do much justice to the renderings of themselves in the title/opening screen.

The game's title was actually a warning message.

Nekros
547th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Sat 6 Apr 22:53post reply

quote:

since I'm not a fan of DC, MK or ugly things, its appeal is only so great.

Ahahah this! I enjoyed MK, tough. I want NR develop a new Kasumi Ninja, that woul be hilarious.

And yes, the non-fighting sessions are something I want see more in fighting games; if done well are a delicious side-dish. The cat thing in Injustice took my curiosity, hope is a real cat and not a robot/drone thing like the bats Bruce can summon during the fights (apparently with infinite supplies).

badoor
305th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Sun 7 Apr 16:07post reply

quote:

since I'm not a fan of DC, MK or ugly things, its appeal is only so great.

Haha well said. Though reluctantly I am sort of an MK apologist, having bought and played all of the games, including their ps2 releases and yes even MK: Special Forces (for very very cheap though). I seem to have became a MK fan haphazardly, probably because I enjoy playing it with my not-so-deep-into-fighters family & friends. And partially because I can find a lot of silly, stupid, and childish things I can laugh at, both the intentional and the non-intentional. Of course, I never took playing any of them in any serious manner, aside from learning the obvious & easy combo I can exploit. Though MK9 was a decent effort.

But Injustice is just nowhere near any of that. I remember playing the MK9 demo for several hours. And I could swear that MK9 looked and animated better than Injustice. Maybe Ed Boon and the NR A-Team are just working on the probably next-gen MK10 while the B-Team worked on this. It's weird how all of the characters have the same exact looking scowl when they do the supers. I remember someone here mentioned that the female characters in MK essentially have male body builds but with added boobs. And wonder woman just exemplifies that yet again.

As for whether the choppy animation is intentional or not, I think NR just lacks the capability. Even when they relied on non-real time CG in MK4, the animation just looked comically atrocious compared to the CG FMV scenes in Tekken 3.

GekigangerV
1816th Post

"Misc Injustice demo, Skull Girls R1 voting in" , posted Mon 8 Apr 11:26post reply

quote:
Regardless, I had fun with the demo. The quick reference move list was nice as was the frame data on every move. This might be totally normal for Mortal Kombat and I'm just not used to it, though.

I went through each character in arcade mode twice over the weekend and deleted the demo and I agree that I had fun with the demo once I figured out some of the finer details. I really appreciate how every characters animations are unique for jumping and upper cuts. I know it was a throwback in MK9 to have every character do a similar uppercut, but then there was stuff like every character having the same jump punch and kick that really didn't set right with me.

Wonder Woman had an air dash and Luthor could use his b,f+triangle to do an air dash as well. I have high hopes that this game may be very fun to mess around with to do combos.

I am kind of wondering about the decision to do a unique button for some of those character traits though. Maybe some characters will have more in depth use for the button, but for the most part it was one use for Wonder Woman and Luthor which I am sure they could have made their own special move command for.

The Wager system also doesn't sit right with me right now either. But time will tell how it will look like in real matches.

First round of Voting is done for Skull Girls and here are the results in Alphabetical order

quote:
Aeon / エイオン
Annie / アニー
B. Dahlia / ブラック・ダリア
Beowulf / ベオウルフ
Brain Drain / ブレイン・ドレイン
Eliza / イライザ
Feng / フェン
Isaac / アイザック
Marie / マリー
Minette / ミネット
Molly / モリー
Panzerfaust / パンツァーファウスト
Scythana / サイサナ
Stanley / スタンレー
Umbrella / アンブレラ
Venus / ヴィーナス

Beowulf was the only one of my choices to make it past the first round. Really bummed about the lack of Andy. I guess people don't appreciate the boxer archetype as I do.

Gojira
2914th Post

"Re(5):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Mon 8 Apr 11:37post reply

quote:

The cat thing in Injustice took my curiosity, hope is a real cat and not a robot/drone thing like the bats Bruce can summon during the fights (apparently with infinite supplies).

Here's what that's all about:

Skip to 4:35 to see the Isis mission

Kinda like MK9, they did do some pretty nice things with the mission mode. If Injustice had been just a bunch of ugly minigames instead of an ugly fighting game that might have been more acceptable...? I don't know. I'm buying it, but only because of the homages to the animated Justice League and I don't expect anyone else to get past how awful it looks and how stiffly it plays.

On a somewhat related side note, I watched the full Green Lantern series from start to finish over the weekend, and I now hate whoever let it get cancelled. Few people have made me care about DC characters like Bruce Timm, and now that he's left WB it feels like the end of an era.

Pollyanna
3430th Post

"Re(6):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Mon 8 Apr 12:20post reply

quote:

Haha well said. Though reluctantly I am sort of an MK apologist, having bought and played all of the games, including their ps2 releases and yes even MK: Special Forces (for very very cheap though). I seem to have became a MK fan haphazardly, probably because I enjoy playing it with my not-so-deep-into-fighters family & friends

Although I will continue to mock MK and friends for their ugliness, awkward animations and inability to portray women, their accessibility and popularity are making them increasingly appealing to me.

I'm the sort of fighting game baby that gets mocked on the internet, but I'm really sick of bothersome obstacles to entry. Simple things like chaining two medium punches in SF4 or backdash canceling in Tekken. You do it in a match, your friend ask "how do you do that?" and the answer is "5 hours in training mode." I still can't do instant-air versions of moves on Capcom games, despite playing them for years and years and doing the same thing in my sleep in KOF and BlazBlue.

quote:
Beowulf was the only one of my choices to make it past the first round. Really bummed about the lack of Andy. I guess people don't appreciate the boxer archetype as I do.

Andy looked a bit straightforward. The Skullgirls characters have a lot going on...transforming body parts and assistants and morphing bodies and whatever. Having a boxing character would've been neat, but I don't know if he was the best approach. I mean, I don't know what they would've done with him, but he's a harder sell than a lot of the cast.

Of the current batch, I think Aeon has the most solid design. All of my favorites advanced, but I'm sure I'll be sharing in heartbreak soon enough.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
4580th Post

"Re(6):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Tue 9 Apr 01:11post reply

The first round of Skullgirls went about the way I expected. While I'm certain every character is someone's favorite a lot of the guys and gals that didn't make the cut were probably better off as background figures. Even though I don't think all the characters would work in Skullgirls some of the designs could work elsewhere. For example, Yu-Wan would be great as a cannon fodder enemy in a fish themed Final Fight clone. I doubt that will ever be made but I didn't think we would get an opera singing dead girl in a fighting game either.

quote:
Kinda like MK9, they did do some pretty nice things with the mission mode. If Injustice had been just a bunch of ugly minigames instead of an ugly fighting game that might have been more acceptable...? I don't know. I'm buying it, but only because of the homages to the animated Justice League and I don't expect anyone else to get past how awful it looks and how stiffly it plays.

MK has always wanted to be thought of as being the same as SF, Tekken and all the other cool kids at school. Instead, Netherrealm's fascination with mini games and storytelling has turned MK and now Injustice into a Western version of Justice Gakuen. Here's to hoping MK10 has a dating simulator where Scorpion and Sub Zero attend rival high schools.

Nekros
548th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Tue 9 Apr 02:22post reply

quote:

The cat thing in Injustice took my curiosity, hope is a real cat and not a robot/drone thing like the bats Bruce can summon during the fights (apparently with infinite supplies).

Here's what that's all about:

Skip to 4:35 to see the Isis mission

Ugh...the animations are...ugly.. that backward jump is embarassing ^^' Even Tokyo Jungle has better cats than Isis!
Also, no info about Lobo in the game? Or obscure DC characters like Vertigo ones? Jesse, Constantine, Sandman/Death seem legit to be in a fighting game. Or not?

Loona
689th Post

"Re(7):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Tue 9 Apr 11:43post reply

quote:

Also, no info about Lobo in the game? Or obscure DC characters like Vertigo ones? Jesse, Constantine, Sandman/Death seem legit to be in a fighting game. Or not?

I think there were rumors about Lobo as DLC, but I haven't been following Injustice too closely - most of what I see of it struggles to not repel me...
The mention of Vertigo folk like John Constantine reminds me of recent chats I had with friends making their own DC fan game, and how that character might work in the fighting genre, cosidering he seems to talk his way through most things -stuff like opening portals from which demons and angels would come out trying to reach him and hit his opponents instead came to mind, but he's apparently not very physical in the comics themselves to ins pire complete movesets... then again, if Capcom made a fighter out of Phoenix Wright in UMvC3, maybe it's a matter of extensive research...

Maou
2422th Post

"Re(7):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Tue 9 Apr 12:27post reply

quote:
Justice Gakuen. Here's to hoping MK10 has a dating simulator where Scorpion and Sub Zero attend rival high schools.
Heheheh. Promptly directing this thread to the King of Capcom to make sure they are there to assist MK during its inevitable transition to this promising field.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Spoon
2410th Post

"Re(7):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Tue 9 Apr 23:03post reply

quote:

Aeon has the most solid design

I can't tell what you mean by this and I would like to hear your reasoning, and I don't mean that sarcastically/cynically/elitist-ly. Unlike every other forum on the internet, I actually do like to hear explanations of what people mean by good/bad design here!

Gameplay-wise, I think that both Isaac and Aeon's ability to make use of capturing moments in time is interesting, and I hope that the causality mechanics in Isaac get even more fully developed. I hope Isaac/Aeon/somebody vs. Isaac/Aeon/somebody matches turn into Jojo-like tests of convoluted craziness.

Pollyanna
3432th Post

"Re(8):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Wed 10 Apr 05:58post reply

quote:

Aeon has the most solid design

I can't tell what you mean by this and I would like to hear your reasoning, and I don't mean that sarcastically/cynically/elitist-ly. Unlike every other forum on the internet, I actually do like to hear explanations of what people mean by good/bad design here!

I mean that it conveys its concept elegantly and effectively. I guess ideally, a "solid design" wouldn't have unnecessary or confusing details and would stand the test of time.

That doesn't necessarily mean its my favorite design, as sometimes a certain concept or overall aesthetic can be more appealing to me than a feeling of how elegant the design is as a whole.

Some artists can have a great looking style but a weaker eye for character design and vice-versa. Kind of like some artists with a weaker technical foundation can still create appealing character designs. For the record, I would say most of Capcom's 2D artists have a fantastic combination of technical skill, design and style.

Any of these assessments would be tempered with my own opinion of course, but that's what I mean at least.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Professor
3707th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Sat 13 Apr 07:35post reply

quote:
For the record, I would say most of Capcom's 2D artists have a fantastic combination of technical skill, design and style.
Any of these assessments would be tempered with my own opinion of course, but that's what I mean at least.

Mrs.Victoria didn't make it

I hear from students that Capcom's art division is really hard to apply to-- knowledge of human anatomy for example is one of the basic prerequisites. That's a sharp contrast to say, the Japanese animation business.

Ishmael
4587th Post

"Re(10):The injustice of the Injustice demo" , posted Mon 15 Apr 21:19post reply

The 3rd round of the Skullgirls voting is up and running! How the hell has Beowulf made it this far?

Iggy
9482th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):The injustice of the Injustice d" , posted Mon 15 Apr 22:56post reply

quote:
The 3rd round of the Skullgirls voting is up and running! How the hell has Beowulf made it this far?

If Stanley wins the vote, I'm gifting a Steam copy of Skullgirl to everyone in this thread.

Spoon
2419th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The injustice of the Injustice d" , posted Tue 16 Apr 00:43post reply

quote:

If Stanley wins the vote, I'm gifting a Steam copy of Skullgirl to everyone in this thread.

I'm kind of surprised that Eliza, Minette, and Beowulf are still in the running.

Professor
3712th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Re(10):The injustice of the Injustice d" , posted Tue 16 Apr 07:31post reply

quote:

I'm kind of surprised that Eliza, Minette, and Beowulf are still in the running.

Umbrella...

Spoon
2421th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):The injustice of the Injustice d" , posted Wed 17 Apr 02:45post reply

quote:

Umbrella...

Due to being console deprived as a result of my very-nearly-nomadic life, I haven't played SG yet, nor do I know much about its story. I heard Umbrella was meant to be a regular cast member early on, but that's about it. Is there something super odd/tragic about her not making the cut?

kofoguz
1045th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):The injustice of the Injustice d" , posted Wed 17 Apr 05:29post reply

quote:

Umbrella...

Due to being console deprived as a result of my very-nearly-nomadic life, I haven't played SG yet, nor do I know much about its story. I heard Umbrella was meant to be a regular cast member early on, but that's about it. Is there something super odd/tragic about her not making the cut?

Where are the results? I lost the track of whats going on.

karasu99
1104th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(7):Re(10):The injustice of the Injustice d" , posted Wed 17 Apr 06:10post reply

quote:

Not sure if there's a better place to look, but the Indiegogo page keeps being updated with current results.

www.secret-arts.com

Iggy
9483th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):The injustice of the Injustice d" , posted Wed 17 Apr 06:27post reply

quote:

Visual representation of the current voting session.

Umbrella, Marie and Black Dahlia probably fell to the assumption that they would be the most likely characters added to a sequel, or a non-crowd-funded DLC or expansion. However, thinking there would be anything SG-related after the last crow-funded character is extremely optimistic.

Hell, even having all crowd-funded characters available before mid-2014 is optimistic at this point.
(I'm torn we can't have Stanley, Isaac, Eliza and Panzerfaust all funded. This game needs at least 10 more characters)(and the developers need better workflows).

Professor
3713th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Re(10):The injustice of the Injustice d" , posted Wed 17 Apr 17:00post reply

quote:

Umbrella...

Umbrella was one of the characters which was often drawn by Alex Ahad prior to Skullgirls even going into development as a game. So it seemed natural that she'd be thrown into the default cast.

Professor
3714th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Blazblue CP launch date 10/24, details" , posted Wed 17 Apr 17:17post reply

Seems like the fellows at Dustloop and Shoryuken have quickly translated most of the details regarding today's leak w/ photos!

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/content.php?508-BBCP-JP-Console-Release-Date-New-Characters!
http://shoryuken.com/2013/04/16/blazblue-chrono-phantasma-heading-to-playstation-3-in-japan-on-october-24-two-new-fighters-announced/

Stuff that aren't written there:

Limited edition set will be available for 10290 yen, comes with a Nendroid Rachael figure, a bonus art book "VISUAL BOOK II", and a soundtrack "SONG INTERLUDE II".

Story mode features 3 scenarios : Chrono Phantasma, Six heroes(includes novel story w/Celica), Sector Seven.
It says the Six heroes story runs for about 5 hours so I'm assuming it features only a part of the novel-- that thing was like a total of 1000 pages or something.

Terumi is the past version of Hazama from the novel and he's being offered as a preorder bonus DLC.

Loona
691th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):The injustice of the Injustice d" , posted Wed 17 Apr 21:57post reply

quote:

Umbrella...

She does have an important-ish role in the story, but practically all of it seems to be covered in Parasoul's story mode, since they're sisters and Umbrella makes frequent apearances there.
In the meantime, Umbrella showing up out of focus in campaign fan art looking annoyed at the situation has become something of a meme in the fandom.

Pollyanna
3442th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):The injustice of the Injustice d" , posted Thu 18 Apr 02:46:post reply

quote:

Visual representation of the current voting session.

The next batch is where it's going to get ugly for me. Still, this is a winning lineup no matter which combination of characters wins. Personally, I'm hoping Panzerfaust doesn't get in, because I wouldn't use him, and we're already getting one big guy. Somehow it would seem sad that what people want the most in a monster girl fighting game is huge dudes.

quote:
Injustice

So I ended up getting this after all thanks to a joke from a friend. It went sort of like this:

Friend A: So, are you looking forward to playing Injustice with Polly?

Friend B: Yeah! I can't wait! Let's get together this weekend!

Me: Oh, uh...hmmm...guess I'd better buy the game, then.

Being neither a DC nor an MK fan, my opinions might be invalid, but here are a few impressions.

-Story mode is impressive. I finished it in one sitting, but it was a good length. I would've appreciated some sort of thematic or emotional to make the conclusion more satisfying, but oh well...it was still fun.

-The trials are fun because meeting the main objective isn't too difficult, but hitting the sub-objectives can be. It's nice to be able to challenge myself when I want to and decide when something isn't worth it other times.

-One of the sub-objectives on the Isis challenge is "Meow 25 times". Isis has a move list that's full of "Meow" listed over and over again.

-Some of the renders are fine, but a number are truly hideous. Cat Woman really comes across as gross and weird, rather than sexy and poor Raven's jawline has got to go. I know it's a hopeless prospect, but I keep thinking "maybe they'll patch in a new jaw for her." It's not just an ugly woman thing...several of the men have jacked up faces, too.

-Assuming that they end up being reasonably balanced across characters, I hope the tournament scene embraces the stage gimmicks. They're completely controlled by the player, so they aren't random outside of which level is chosen.

-I like all of the levels. Some are actually cool and others are just awesomely stupid. People working on computers you just smashed as if a battle isn't going on is awesomely stupid. Knocking opponents into other people or grabbing humanoid robots to beat them with is awesomely stupid.

-The writing in Story Mode seems "authentic" even if it's not just fantastic. The writing in challenge mode (STAR Labs) is more like "coloring book level."

-I can't tell if it's actually a good fighting game or not, but I predict that I'll have gotten my money's worth by the time I figure that out.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the controls set up splendidly for a pad, with clever use of the shoulder buttons. However, I need to see if there are better control options for joysticks, as some of the button combinations don't work so well.

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Thu 18 Apr 11:08]

Spoon
2424th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):The injustice of the Injustice " , posted Mon 22 Apr 02:32post reply

Skullgirls top 4 is:
Annie
Minette
Eliza
Aeon

The only one of these 4 that interests me at all is Aeon.

Toxico
5770th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):The injustice of the Inju" , posted Mon 22 Apr 12:21post reply

So, as pretty much every game with an xbald port, the source code of Injustice has already been seen, if it's accurate the 4 yet to be revealed characters are :

Lobo , Batgirl , Zod , Scorpion

End of Spoiler

Source

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

Pollyanna
3444th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):The injustice of the Inju" , posted Mon 22 Apr 17:20post reply

quote:
So, as pretty much every game with an xbald port, the source code of Injustice has already been seen, if it's accurate the 4 yet to be revealed characters are :

Source

This may very well turn out to be true, but as it stands, this doesn't have a lot of credibility. Although I do like the game, I already have plenty of characters to use and I'm not a DC fan, so there isn't much riding on this for me.

Two more notes on the game for those who are interested, but haven't played it:
-Projectiles are really important and really powerful, but there are a huge variety of them they tend to not cancel each other out. In other words, projectile battles involve both players getting hit at the same time a lot.

-Doomsday has a full-screen, tracking, unblockable move that uses no meter. As soon as more people figure this out, it's all you're ever going to see online. I think it was irresponsible of the developers to include something like this, even if it won't effect high-level play much.

I am undressed from 80’s style and recreated with modern sexy and beautiful style that amaze you and feel never been experienced world before.

Iggy
9491th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):The injustice of the Inju" , posted Mon 22 Apr 17:49post reply

Fortunately Batwoman is not in it.
Of all the developpers, These guys are the less likely to do justice to JH William.

Now I feel like becoming king of the world so I can force DC to licence Batwoman to Vanillaware.

Gojira
2916th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):The injustice of the Inju" , posted Mon 22 Apr 18:37post reply

quote:
Skullgirls top 4 is:
Annie
Minette
Eliza
Aeon

The only one of these 4 that interests me at all is Aeon.

The loss of Stanley and Panzerfaust is tragic.

Maou
2433th Post

"The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Mon 22 Apr 21:11:post reply

quote:

The loss of Stanley and Panzerfaust is tragic.

STANLEY!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

While with Stanley's defeat we have lost humanity's last, best hope since Skullomania, no love lost for the looks-just-a-little-too-SS Panzerfaust. As far as main character accessories, Samson would have been great just as a fun thematic reversal of Filia.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 22 Apr 22:02]

Ishmael
4597th Post

"Re(1):The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Tue 23 Apr 01:18post reply

I'll mourn you til I join you Stanley. Ah, what might have been!

Speaking of squandered potential, I watched a tournament stream this weekend that featured Injustice. I was hoping to see gameplay that would change my poor initial impressions of the game. After watching a few matches... well, I guess it's still early in the game's life so there's probably a lot that is still unexplored. At least I hope so since watching Batman hop around while throwing batarangs and exploding guano at everyone wasn't exactly thrilling.

Now that I think about it, I'm blaming Batman's shark repellent spray for Stanley's loss.

karasu99
1109th Post

"Re(2):The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Tue 23 Apr 06:01post reply

quote:
I'll mourn you til I join you Stanley. Ah, what might have been!

Speaking of squandered potential, I watched a tournament stream this weekend that featured Injustice. I was hoping to see gameplay that would change my poor initial impressions of the game. After watching a few matches... well, I guess it's still early in the game's life so there's probably a lot that is still unexplored. At least I hope so since watching Batman hop around while throwing batarangs and exploding guano at everyone wasn't exactly thrilling.

Now that I think about it, I'm blaming Batman's shark repellent spray for Stanley's loss.

Hey, there's always the possibility of a fan-made effort to hope for!

Sadly Stanley was powerless in the face of that cliched-looking green haired girl (Annie?) I think I actually groaned aloud when I saw that she had moved on (along with the boring looking fish girl) and he hadn't. I loved Panzerfaust, but I agree with everyone who's said it would stink to have two huge guys in an otherwise all-female game. Aeon and Eliza are at least interesting out of the four who are left, but I'm sure that Annie is a shoo-in.

www.secret-arts.com

red falcon
6137th Post

PSN: Rugalbgood
XBL: RugalBGood
Wii: Doesitmatter?

"Re(3):The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Tue 23 Apr 06:08post reply

I'm still heartbroken about Scythana!

And realistically we have an idea of who will win the second character poll... one of the three survivors from this one. >_< So we'll probably end up with both Annie and Minette.

Pollyanna
3445th Post

"Re(4):The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Tue 23 Apr 20:08post reply

quote:
Batman

Everyone I've played Injustice with has asked "why does Batman suck so much?" usually followed by "what's wrong with Raven's face?"

quote:
Annie

Annie is my least favorite of the advancing girls, but it seems like she's been featured in some promo artwork. Maybe the developers were trying to drum up support for her? Or am I completely delusional?

Someone should make a "nothing but big dudes" 2D fighter next. (no, SlamMasters doesn't cut it) They can call it "Muscleboys."

Iggy
9492th Post

"Re(5):The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Tue 23 Apr 21:15post reply

quote:
Someone should make a "nothing but big dudes" 2D fighter next. (no, SlamMasters doesn't cut it) They can call it "Muscleboys."

Or Buriki One?

I'm OK with any of the 4 (more Eliza than Minette or Aeon, obviously) and I wouldn't be so sure about the second round: Beowulf has chances (not my favourite, but at least it's a guy).

As for Stanley, after he lost last round, I actually started thinking I wasn't THAT interested in playing him in a fighting game. I really think the team should expand the Skullgirl universe beyound that single game. Some characters could fit in quite a few other types of game, brawlers, platformers, puzzles... Stanley would probably be better used in a game solely designed around his awesomeness, instead of being forced in an existing game.

Maou
2437th Post

"Re(6):The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Wed 24 Apr 00:09post reply

quote:
Stanley would probably be better used in a game solely designed around his awesomeness, instead of being forced in an existing game.
I'm pretty sure that Stanley's Puyo Puyo Puzzle Madness is what I want to play.

Baines
349th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Wed 24 Apr 03:32post reply

quote:

Aren't we overdue for a new Cho Aniki game?

karasu99
1112th Post

"Re(6):The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Wed 24 Apr 03:45post reply

quote:

Or Buriki One?

I'm OK with any of the 4 (more Eliza than Minette or Aeon, obviously) and I wouldn't be so sure about the second round: Beowulf has chances (not my favourite, but at least it's a guy).

As for Stanley, after he lost last round, I actually started thinking I wasn't THAT interested in playing him in a fighting game. I really think the team should expand the Skullgirl universe beyound that single game. Some characters could fit in quite a few other types of game, brawlers, platformers, puzzles... Stanley would probably be better used in a game solely designed around his awesomeness, instead of being forced in an existing game.

I was just pointed to this, which could potentially mean trouble for Skullgirls. I hope not, but I also know there are a lot of creeps in the world who might pull just such a dastardly stunt.

Why couldn't a Slammasters sequel and a Big Dudes from Skullgirls fighter be the same thing? Sadly, I'm sure this is one of those 'big titles' cancelled by Capcom of late.

www.secret-arts.com

nobinobita
1155th Post

"Re(6):The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Wed 24 Apr 04:13post reply

quote:

Aren't we overdue for a new Cho Aniki game?

Ah you beat me to it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QXJjll7vVo

^No joke: That was a really beautiful game!

www.art-eater.com

Ishmael
4601th Post

"Re(7):The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Tue 30 Apr 00:45post reply

In the "characters who are not Stanley" poll it seems that Eliza won. She has a nice Egypt/Art Deco vibe and a nauseating power so she should fit in quite well with Skullgirls.

It also seems like there's going to be a update to DoA5. This news once again brings the question of DLC and other dribbled out content to mind. On the other hand, it looks like Momiji is going to be added to the game so it's all good.

chazumaru
994th Post

"Re(8):The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Tue 30 Apr 01:23post reply

No Vita version?

Couldn't they simply add Momiji as a DLC?

karasu99
1118th Post

"Re(9):The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Tue 30 Apr 08:29:post reply

quote:
No Vita version?

Couldn't they simply add Momiji as a DLC?

Wow, and it's a fairly rapid announcement of an 'updated' version. As much as I like Momiji, I'll probably pass on this one, like I did with the original PS3 and Vita releases.

I could swear I saw earlier that an update to Arcana Hearts 3 is coming to arcades soon, but now that I try and find the article it appears to have disappeared. Maybe I've finally lost my mind!
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max is coming on May 9 to arcades! It's funny that there seem to be no details at all about more characters or if it's just a balance update.

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Tue 30 Apr 11:29]

Ishmael
4604th Post

"Re(10):The Injustice of Stanley's loss" , posted Mon 6 May 22:20post reply

quote:
I could swear I saw earlier that an update to Arcana Hearts 3 is coming to arcades soon, but now that I try and find the article it appears to have disappeared. Maybe I've finally lost my mind!
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max is coming on May 9 to arcades! It's funny that there seem to be no details at all about more characters or if it's just a balance update.

I've been waiting for more information to surface about AH3LM but so far all I've seen is the sad little placeholder image on the game's page. Not only am I surprised that AH is still going I'm beginning to suspect the people who make the series don't know how it's still going either.

In other news, Skullgirls has flipped over to a lightning round dance off competition for the next round of voting. The first round of voting involves ranking the giant pile of characters from 1 to 30. I found it much easier to rank the top characters I liked instead of the bottom half of characters I don't give a toss about.

Gojira
2920th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):The injustice of the Inju" , posted Tue 7 May 03:35post reply

quote:

Source

Credibility confirmed

There goes any hope for... whoever. Not that I can be any more disappointed or apathetic at this point anyway. *goes back to FE:A*

Ishmael
4605th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):The injustice of the Inju" , posted Tue 7 May 23:18post reply

quote:
Credibility confirmed

There goes any hope for... whoever. Not that I can be any more disappointed or apathetic at this point anyway. *goes back to FE:A*

In some way I can see how this group of characters makes sense. The MK people have been trying to make an irony-free version of Lobo for years so his inclusion makes perfect sense. Zod is going to be in a movie so he made the cut. Anything with a bat symbol on it ends up being popular so Batgirl and her giant forehead was a safe choice. Finally, Scorpion doesn't have a face so he works well with the strengths and weaknesses of Netherrealm's character designs.

But even when I reason everything through I'm still struck by two thoughts:

1. Outside of Terence Stamp I have no idea what Zod looks like.

2. I wish someone had been a bit more creative with the variety of fighting styles in the game. Less conventional characters such as Plastic Man or Mr. Myxlplyx would have been interesting additions to the roster.

Ishmael
4608th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):The injustice of the Inju" , posted Fri 10 May 01:01post reply

Using the UMvC3 snapback glitch to post two times in a row.

First up, the Batgirl trailer has been posted. Surprisingly, she looks more Batmanesque than Batman.

Secondly, Lei Fang's twin tails hairdo has been confirmed for DoA5: Ultimate. Oh, and Momiji gameplay and Leon as well. I had hoped that Momiji would fight with a staff or some other weapon just to shake things up a bit but her punching and kicking look serviceable.

karasu99
1122th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):The injustice of the Inju" , posted Fri 10 May 01:44post reply

quote:

First up, the Batgirl trailer has been posted. Surprisingly, she looks more Batmanesque than Batman.

Secondly, Lei Fang's twin tails hairdo has been confirmed for DoA5: Ultimate. Oh, and Momiji gameplay and Leon as well. I had hoped that Momiji would fight with a staff or some other weapon just to shake things up a bit but her punching and kicking look serviceable.

Ohoho, I was just about to post but you beat me to it!

I don't know, I've gotten more than a little bored with DoA5 vanilla, so I can't imagine that '5 Ultimate' brings enough more to the base game to be worth bothering with. Momiji looks cool, but she's not especially different-seeming enough. I did like the big statue though-- it was one of my favorite parts of Ninja Gaiden 2 so I was happy to see it represented.

www.secret-arts.com

Just a Person
1538th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):The injustice of the Inju" , posted Mon 13 May 22:49post reply

quote:

Ohoho, I was just about to post but you beat me to it!

I don't know, I've gotten more than a little bored with DoA5 vanilla, so I can't imagine that '5 Ultimate' brings enough more to the base game to be worth bothering with. Momiji looks cool, but she's not especially different-seeming enough. I did like the big statue though-- it was one of my favorite parts of Ninja Gaiden 2 so I was happy to see it represented.

The new stage in DoA5 Ultimate looks cool, so does Momiji, and Leon should have been in DoA5 since the vanilla version. The "vanilla" DoA5 somehow felt rushed (no bosses in Arcade Mode; Story Mode without chapters for Lisa and Christie (and without much sense in the story overall); lack of variety between certain stages...). I hope this time, Team Ninja can get it right.

(still about Leon, it's kinda funny that the least popular fighter in the previous DoA games is now presented as one of the reasons why people who didn't play the vanilla DoA5 should play DoA5 Ultimate...)

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Professor
3732th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Move to next thread!" , posted Tue 14 May 03:22post reply

With things moving slowly, this is probably a good timing to move to a new thread before things ger more bloaty!

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13412.shtml