UNDEAD THREAD 2012 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2782 Views )

Maou
2384th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"UNDEAD THREAD 2012" , posted Tue 16 Oct 23:59:post reply

THE COLONEL HAS DECREED IT IS TIME FOR HALLOWEEN

Since every dumb site will have an article on "games that are scary," we could try upping the ante with stories of spooky/atmospheric experiences tied to games that may or not have been scary, preferrably on Halloween. This may not draw dear Undead Fred out from whatever land of shadows he escaped to, but we were overdue for an inevitable Dracula thread anyway.

My favorite experiential tale is still turning out the lights on a Halloween Sunday (parties were all earlier that weekend) and playing Dracula X~Nocturne in the Moonlight in the dark for about four hours with howling wind outside, maybe around that part to where you get to the hellish depths of the castle. Last year, I think I managed to draw on the spirits of the dark gods to beat Dracula 1 for the first time ever, somewhere around Halloween late at night as well.

The Sorceress' Procession in Final Fantasy VIII is probably the finest witchy scene and music ever seen in a video game, so one time I played it on loud throughout the house before heading out to walk among the real-life (?) sorceress' procession in Manhattan, aka their giant world-devouring masquerade parade.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 17 Oct 00:03]

Replies:

Loona
650th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):UNDEAD THREAD 2012" , posted Wed 17 Oct 05:10:post reply

Halloween, scary things and dressing up... well, remember when Iori got added to that Korean MMO Lost Saga? Well, this isn't quite new, but so were Haohmaru and Mai later on, and everyone got an opposite sex version.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

[this message was edited by Loona on Mon 29 Oct 19:18]

nobinobita
1102th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):UNDEAD THREAD 2012" , posted Wed 17 Oct 07:08:post reply

quote:

Since every dumb site will have an article on "games that are scary," we could try upping the ante with stories of spooky/atmospheric experiences tied to games that may or not have been scary, preferrably on Halloween. This may not draw dear Undead Fred out from whatever land of shadows he escaped to, but we were overdue for an inevitable Dracula thread anyway.

My favorite experiential tale is still turning out the lights on a Halloween Sunday (parties were all earlier that weekend) and playing Dracula X~Nocturne in the Moonlight in the dark for about four hours with howling wind outside, maybe around that part to where you get to the hellish depths of the castle. Last year, I think I managed to draw on the spirits of the dark gods to beat Dracula 1 for the first time ever, somewhere around Halloween late at night as well.

The Sorceress' Procession in Final Fantasy VIII is probably the finest witchy scene and music ever seen in a video game, so one time I played it on loud throughout the house before heading out to walk among the real-life (?) sorceress' procession in Manhattan, aka their giant world-devouring masquerade parade.

There's a point in Final Fantasy Tactics that always stuck with me. Forgive me if I fudge the details as it's been almost a decade since I played it, but I recall ...

There's a scene where it's starting to rain and everyone's resting in camp. A frog hops on screen, then much to everyone's horror it starts talking. There were no outright supernatural elements in the game up to this point (some light fantasy like monsters and special moves, but nothing too crazy) so this was really spooky. The frog told me that everyone in the camp would die tonight before horrifically turning itself inside out in a small shower of lights.

It was a really great way to introduce the occult elements of the game. Really effective.

It reminded me a bit of the part in Berserk where they meet Nosferatu Zodd for the first time, and no one can believe it's really happening. I love stuff like that!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 17 Oct 07:10]

karasu99
1010th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):UNDEAD THREAD 2012" , posted Wed 17 Oct 10:08post reply

quote:

I'm not sure that this will qualify as a scary game-related story or if anyone will actually care, but when I was a pretty little kid, the only TV we had was in a room in our house that you could call a sunroom or a Florida room or whatever-- a room that had been built out of the side of our house but that was mostly windows. At this time we didn't have any very close neighbors, with the exception of the churchyard (and graveyard, or course) across the street, so everything outside was just darkness, and I had been indoctrinated into horror movies at an abnormal time in my life, so I was prepared to be scared easily.

Back in those days, it was apparently okay for parents to go out for dinner with friends, leaving 7 or 8 year old me at home, alone, in the dark, with a TV and video game. I don't have an especially notable moment to describe, but for me playing video games has always been linked with the strange paranoia of loneliness and darkness. A few games always remind me of this-- all of them for the fine old Atari 2600, the system I grew up with: Berzerk, Defender, and especially Haunted House.

As a result, to this day I have a particular love for scaring the crap out of myself while playing video games in the dark, alone, despite the fact that my neighbors live about 10 feet away. I'm sure all of this says something telling about me!

www.secret-arts.com

GekigangerV
1790th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"UNDEAD THREAD 2012, Lollipop Chainsaw sale!" , posted Sat 27 Oct 19:57post reply

In the spirit of Halloween I think I will finally play the Undead Nightmare campaign of Red Dead that came with my GOTY edition. I really loved the base game, but I had put 36 something hours into it and needed to give it a rest.

I may also try to finish up Dead Rising while I am at it. I got to the maintenance tunnels, but died a couple of times and didn't feel like going back again.

Lollipop Chainsaw is on sale at both Gamestop and Amazon for $20.

On Both 360 and PS3 (make sure you click on the right system if you want it) It is a short campaign of about 5-6 hours, but at $20 I think it is well worth it there is a bit of replay value to it as well to try and earn some new moves and perverted interesting costumes.

I think if I boot up my XBL copy of Nights into Dreams I should see some Halloween Costumes so I may do that too.

quote:
Well, this isn't quite new, butso were Haohmaru and Mai later on, and everyone get an opposite sex version.

So scary . . . .

Mokona
488th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):UNDEAD THREAD 2012" , posted Sun 28 Oct 05:10post reply

I tried to play Slender for the first time today. I collected 5 pages and decided that I'd rather not continue to play it... I'm really not scared of the theme per se, heck I've already hiked by night in forests and mountainsides, but the music, ambiance and cheap "boo"-type scares are really getting to me.

I never would have imagined that simple graphics could still be so effective. I mean, it's obviously not realistic, but it works all the same.

Blah!

GekigangerV
1793th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Final Fantasy the 13th" , posted Sat 3 Nov 12:54post reply

So I got to play Undead Nightmare which was a pretty fun spin on the RDR world. Nothing too scary as like most zombie games now, it isn't about scaring you, but about overwhelming you with a ton of enemies.

However, the true horror I experienced was when I finally played FF13. I got it for about $15 at SEARS a few months ago, but never got around to playing it. I had heard about the long hallway for years, but I had thought they were just exaggerating. It was horrible. One hour in and barely any story was touched upon. Two hours in and I just had to turn it off. I don't know if I will ever play it again.

This was the first FF game I had really tried to play since IX and I am not sure if I will ever pick up a new FF again.

Maou
2388th Post

"Re(1):Final Fantasy the 13th" , posted Sat 3 Nov 14:57post reply

quote:
However, the true horror I experienced was when I finally played FF13.
Alas, I suppose that the (tragically unused) advertising line of "From the director of FF X-2" should have braced people for this.
quote:
This was the first FF game I had really tried to play since IX and I am not sure if I will ever pick up a new FF again.
Good news! None of those people are really around Square anymore anyway...you could go play some Mistwalker games for "a new FF" and be getting just as honest and genuine a new Final Fantasy, I'd say.

Nekros
516th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Final Fantasy the 13th" , posted Tue 6 Nov 23:46:post reply

quote:
However, the true horror I experienced was when I finally played FF13. Alas, I suppose that the (tragically unused) advertising line of "From the director of FF X-2" should have braced people for this.This was the first FF game I had really tried to play since IX and I am not sure if I will ever pick up a new FF again. Good news! None of those people are really around Square anymore anyway...you could go play some Mistwalker games for "a new FF" and be getting just as honest and genuine a new Final Fantasy, I'd say.

Sure, Mistwalker games have a classic jrpg feel, but none to me has the FF scent. Except Lost Odissey, of course.
FF is a series quite difficult ot understand and love in its entirely, specially as today is. I played most of the games but the only ones I liked were 3 (V, VI and VII). The other episodes have some aspects I find good and other I hate with passion... the two games I absolutely find disgusting were VIII (for the most part: game design, direction, crappy love story...battle system and music are good) and IX (didn't like anything except the ost). So it's not impossible that someone plays a random FF game and find it unbeareable, but beware: every FF is different so pick another one and you might enjoy it.

Side note: FFXIII has its good side, but the game is very bad executed and directed. I think in some other hands it could have been a lot better, especially in story and dungeon design.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Tue 6 Nov 23:48]

KTallguy
1452th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):UNDEAD THREAD 2012" , posted Fri 9 Nov 11:00post reply

quote:
As a result, to this day I have a particular love for scaring the crap out of myself while playing video games in the dark, alone, despite the fact that my neighbors live about 10 feet away. I'm sure all of this says something telling about me!

I would play video games all through the night in my PJs too, even as a young adult (and I still do sometimes!). I remember beating Valkyrie Profile and being extremely depressed at getting the B ending. I remember playing Silent Hill 1 and being scared to all hell, to the point where it was difficult for me to actually walk forward.

I had a few rough New Years Eves when I was alone and I just went to the beach by myself and let the chilly wind hit me in the face. Games were a nice companion back in the day (and still sometimes today). Lately I feel empty after completing many newer games. Sometimes I feel like moments of catharsis and satisfaction after finishing games might have been more of a product of adolescence than whether the games' quality was good or not... but then I still felt emotional after beating Crisis Core (sorry...), Policenauts, and even Superbrothers. Just, it takes an extra special game to give me that kind of emotional release now.

quote:
Side note: FFXIII has its good side, but the game is very bad executed and directed. I think in some other hands it could have been a lot better, especially in story and dungeon design.

I tried to approach FFXIII with an open mind. I had the demo and played it to death, I didn't mind the linearity of the first few parts, the story had some interesting potential, and I was in love with the battle system. One part that stands out for me is the first time you get to the crystal forest with Hope and Lightning... I was standing in awe as I panned the camera around examining the place, and I really loved the sister/brother feeling they had with their banter. I thought "wow, this is pretty cool storytelling right here".

But unfortunately the amount you got to explore those locations was so limited, they felt like empty husks. FF12 did it right, with a bunch of interconnected areas that actually had inhabitants and felt "lived in". And similarly, the relationship between the characters ultimately was glossed over for silly character tropes and Snow's complete bullshit personality... like really. Hope was put through some horrible stuff, but he barely grew as a character... and all the other characters were really static.

I think that the part where you got to explore Vanille's old home was interesting but also a wasted opportunity for more storytelling. The town was small and there was very little to examine.

It's a shame that the game was not that good, and from what I've watched and played of XIII-2, for all the interesting systems they added, they wrapped it in a candy shell of eye gouging crap (hint: I hate the art). I still want to play Versus 13 someday.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Professor
3606th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):UNDEAD THREAD 2012" , posted Fri 9 Nov 18:44post reply

quote:
I would play video games all through the night in my PJs too, even as a young adult (and I still do sometimes!).

Welcome to the "Gaming men in PJs club" !
...wow that sounds so gay.

Maou: Interestingly, the former Square president Hisashi Suzuki has been criticizing the company's merger with Enix as of recent. He's still talking about stuff.

karasu99
1027th Post

"Re(4):UNDEAD THREAD 2012" , posted Sat 10 Nov 04:21post reply

quote:

I remember playing Silent Hill 1 and being scared to all hell, to the point where it was difficult for me to actually walk forward.

I had a very similar moment with (of all games!) Fatal Frame, where you're wandering through a run-down Japanese town. There's so many places where you think you've seen something but maybe you didn't that I just ended up freezing up and turned the game off. I don't think I've ever gotten back to it, actually!
quote:

Games were a nice companion back in the day (and still sometimes today). Lately I feel empty after completing many newer games. Sometimes I feel like moments of catharsis and satisfaction after finishing games might have been more of a product of adolescence than whether the games' quality was good or not... but then I still felt emotional after beating Crisis Core (sorry...), Policenauts, and even Superbrothers. Just, it takes an extra special game to give me that kind of emotional release now.

I think it's a mix of both being at a certain place and time and those particularly great characteristics of some games that lead to that kind of emotion. As much as I hate to admit it, games aren't important to me in the same ways as they were at other points in my life (like when I played them instead of going to classes for days at a time). I think if my time to play wasn't broken up so much these days, I'd have more of an emotional response to some games. Plus, I'm a lot more mellow and less high-strung than I was even ten years ago!

I'll just chime in with one tiny thought about Final Fantasy: I played the demo of XIII-2, the first game in the series I had played since my brief attempt at playing X, and while I appreciate some of the game's design considerations (I think Polly and I discussed how strangely appealing Chocolina is despite her awful US VA), I felt like I had been completely set adrift in the game by lackluster level design and completely inscrutable game systems.

Like has been said before, I think that people play Final Fantasy games (and SquareEnix makes the games) for completely different reasons than I did back when I was enjoying them. And that's okay, since there's plenty of other JRPGs to play!

www.secret-arts.com

KTallguy
1453th Post

"Re(5):UNDEAD THREAD 2012" , posted Wed 14 Nov 05:19post reply

quote:
I think it's a mix of both being at a certain place and time and those particularly great characteristics of some games that lead to that kind of emotion. As much as I hate to admit it, games aren't important to me in the same ways as they were at other points in my life (like when I played them instead of going to classes for days at a time). I think if my time to play wasn't broken up so much these days, I'd have more of an emotional response to some games. Plus, I'm a lot more mellow and less high-strung

This is my feeling and I'm trying to figure out exactly why that is, and how I can fix that. I want to fix it.

Guys in PJs playing videogames together isn't inherently gay... correlation doesn't equal causation :P

KTallguy
1462th Post

"UNDEAD XMAS 2012" , posted Sat 22 Dec 06:41:post reply

Well so the end of the world thingie didn't happen! Hurrah! Or maybe it did and this is just a really long lucid dream that I'm having. Either way I feel great.

How are all of your holiday plans going? Red eye flights? Last minute shopping? Stringing lights Tightening the bolts on that shelter under your garage?

I'll be back in San Francisco until just before New Years, so if the SF crew is around it would be fun to get togetha-- somehow.

Edit: HERE HE IS

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Sat 22 Dec 06:57]

Ishmael
4510th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):UNDEAD XMAS 2012" , posted Sat 22 Dec 07:34post reply

quote:
Well so the end of the world thingie didn't happen! Hurrah! Or maybe it did and this is just a really long lucid dream that I'm having. Either way I feel great.

It's after the end of the world, don't you know that yet?

quote:

So that's where he got to!

karasu99
1041th Post

"Re(2):UNDEAD XMAS 2012" , posted Sat 22 Dec 08:19post reply

quote:

Har, you like the same things I do!

In response to KTall's original post, I'd love to hit up SF again soon, but having just gotten back from three ridiculous weeks Down Under, I can't possibly travel again (even outside my house) until after the New Year. For the first time in almost a decade I won't be flying during the Xmas season, so I'm going to hunker down and play video games for 48 hours straight.
quote:

Delightfully disturbing!

www.secret-arts.com

Nobinobita
1113th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):UNDEAD XMAS 2012" , posted Sat 22 Dec 09:29post reply

quote:

This is AWESOME.

www.art-eater.com

KTallguy
1462th Post

"Re(2):UNDEAD XMAS 2012" , posted Sat 22 Dec 11:42post reply

quote:

I concur.

Maou
2392th Post

"Re(1):UNDEAD XMAS 2012" , posted Sun 23 Dec 01:07:post reply

quote:
Well so the end of the world thingie didn't happen!
I hear that The World Ends With You, after all, so I guess you weren't ready. Alternately, in other regions, I've heard that It's A Wonderful World, so you know.

I celebrated by getting the third-best score I've ever gotten in Ziggurat...regrettably, or appropriately, it was seconds before the end of the in-game world.

Ktall, you should instate the SF Cafe's latest meeting in my stead. Sorry to miss you, but come to Tokyo and we'll know what to do. Did you know: the Colonel already changed out of his Halloween outfit into his Santa gear this year by the morning of October 28, since October 31 was on an unfestive weekday?

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 23 Dec 01:09]