Original message (13076 Views )

karasu99
876th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Random New Thread: Mass Ninja Effect Gaiden" , posted Tue 20 Mar 17:14post reply

I thought I would take the initiative and move the last random thread on to the afterlife and start a new one, since on whatever the speed of the connection I'm on right now wants to take 5 full minutes to load the old thread.

quote:
Karasu...I think you want to play ME2. ME2 is really, honestly one of the best games I've ever played. I have a top 10 list that shuffles, but this one is always very high on it. I have a few nitpicks about the game, but none of them spoil the experience. As a quick note, my favorite thing about the game is that it ends with a "we may not make it out of this alive" mission where every party member has a chance to die and through your actions, every party member also has a chance to live.

So just to be certain, you're telling me that ME1 isn't really needed to play ME2, right? Or should I just try it anyway, since it provides some background? Based on your glowing recommendation, I think I'll try it, especially since it can be had for super cheap (always a plus). Then again, ME1 is also super cheap. The drawback is that it looks like X360-only, which for some reason is a turnoff (non sure why).

quote:
Okay SUPER RANTRANTRANT

All of these things definitely make me interested in the series. Thinking back, I'm not exactly sure what it was that made me not want to play these games-- maybe it was the bro-types at my former work who talked about nothing but it (and were fake-sick to stay at home and play it) while I was trying to get anyone at all there to listen to me about why Bayonetta was the best game I had played in ages (I can kind of remember the distant look of confusion in their faces after they watched some videos of it). I think that all happened around the time Mass Effect 1 came out. Thanks for the rant! On a side note, I appreciate your writing on topics like these, so please don't ever hesitate to rant.

So, that's 5 games now that I've somehow talked myself into buying! On a side note I happen to be in Europe now, right at the time that Saint Seiya Sanctuary Battle is being released here, with full English translation. It's tempting since it always looked strangely appealing to me, but I'm turned off by the price, which seems to be around $80US at the ludicrous exchange rate I'm experiencing right now-- odd, since I think I could get it from someplace like NCS for $65US including shipping. Has anyone actually played it? I don't seem to recall anyone talking about it except maybe the demo, but I'm curious if it's any good. I've also been trying to decide if there are any other European exclusive (or in-English versions of games that were never released in the US) releases I should look for that I might have forgotten about.

www.secret-arts.com

Replies:

Ishmael
4346th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Random New Thread: Mass Ninja Effect Ga" , posted Wed 21 Mar 00:51post reply

Wow, NG3 is getting withering reviews.

quote:
That reminds me, though, I'm not pleased at how they introduces a male/male romance option. I appreciate that they didn't randomly turn a character gay, but I wish that Shepard had the option to feel more gay as a lifestyle choice rather than an option with one guy. What I mean is that female Shepard can flirt with girls outside of romance options. I don't want to see Garrus turn gay, but I would love it if male Shepard could hit on him. There could be all sorts of responses :"I like you man, but not like that", "I can hardly tell human males from females, but I know you're not my type" or "I got really drunk one time and kissed a dude, but I'm not going down that path again". I understand that the gay options are probably just made by men who want to see girl on girl and women who want to see guy on guy, so the argument is kind of irrelevant. Still, I really enjoyed the feeling that female Shepard was the biggest pimp in the galaxy, regardless of the gender of who she was hitting on.
Is this the first male/male romance option in ME? If so, that's sort of surprising since that option has been in other Bioware games since at least Jade Empire. Actually, being able to hit on anything that moved was a big part of Jade Empire's charm. Being heroic while also being a shameless flirt helped liven that game up.

Part of me enjoys having Shepard occasionally strut around like she's the love child of James T. Kirk and Jack Harkness. However, that extracurricular activity also opens up my biggest irrational worry when playing the ME game- the fear that the wrong person is going to fall in love with me. While I enjoy the ego boost from chatting up people I don't want someone to fall madly for me just because I paid them a complement. I wish there was a "Hey now, this isn't going to get weird, is it?" option on the conversation wheel.

Pollyanna
3211th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(2):Random New Thread: Mass Ninja Effect Ga" , posted Wed 21 Mar 02:17post reply

I don't know why I never have the guts(?) to start a new thread myself, but I'm always grateful.

quote:
So just to be certain, you're telling me that ME1 isn't really needed to play ME2, right?

ME1 is not necessary for enjoying ME2, no. The PS3 version has a sort of comic book thing at the beginning that summarizes it as well, I believe. Normally, I wouldn't recommend ME on PS3 specifically, but if you haven't played the PC or 360 version, you won't notice the difference.

I don't have anything against ME1, but most people I know started with ME2 (and were fine) and it's hard to recommend a trilogy of RPGs to someone who isn't bedridden for a month.

quote:
bro-types

The cure for bro-ism in Mass Effect is to use female Shepard. Even if she's the less-used Shepard by a mile people who pick her swear by her. She's my favorite character in the game.

Speaking of which, holy crap some of the new character customization options treat her well in ME3. She looks totally amazing. I'm enthralled whenever I see her face.

quote:
So, that's 5 games now that I've somehow talked myself into buying!

I think I've bought 9 games in the past month. Ridiculous. No regrets, though! I haven't gotten around to Tales of Innocence R yet, but I might be happier if Gravity Daze just went on forever. I'll probably buy the game again when it comes out in the US just to make DLC purchasing easier. Also, I feel strangely compelled to buy the game multiple times.

quote:
Wow, NG3 is getting withering reviews.

My concerns about the game have been confirmed and although I'm disappointed, I'm also grateful to not have another game to play right now. I'm sure the game isn't terrible, but I still wonder what they were thinking. I'm curious about Vs mode, though.

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to pass, since normally when a game I'm interested in gets a bad review, I say "Oh, so it's as bad as God Hand?"

quote:
However, that extracurricular activity also opens up my biggest irrational worry when playing the ME game- the fear that the wrong person is going to fall in love with me.

I think that's why I enjoyed the fact that you had to take the offensive a little more with Garrus. Flirting with Tali even though you knew it wasn't going anywhere was fun too.

Bioware overdoes it sometimes with "romance". In Old Republic, I was going to like, have tea with some guy and we immediately knocked the tea on the ground and started making out like crazy. That is NOT what I had in mind.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
878th Post

"Re(3):Random New Thread: Mass Ninja Effect Ga" , posted Wed 21 Mar 18:51post reply

quote:
I don't have anything against ME1, but most people I know started with ME2 (and were fine) and it's hard to recommend a trilogy of RPGs to someone who isn't bedridden for a month.

Makes sense, and it's something of a relief to need one less game. I'll probably get the X360 version of ME2 anyway, since that seems like it was the 'primary' console.

quote:
I think I've bought 9 games in the past month. Ridiculous. No regrets, though! I haven't gotten around to Tales of Innocence R yet, but I might be happier if Gravity Daze just went on forever. I'll probably buy the game again when it comes out in the US just to make DLC purchasing easier. Also, I feel strangely compelled to buy the game multiple times.

My problem is that I often jump my own queue and play a game that I've bought after two or three others, and subsequently neglect those two or three others, so I'm really trying to avoid stacking stuff too much. A real problem is that games often become hard to find (or expensive to buy second-hand) not long after they're released, especially if they're not AAA titles.

quote:
My concerns about the game have been confirmed and although I'm disappointed, I'm also grateful to not have another game to play right now. I'm sure the game isn't terrible, but I still wonder what they were thinking. I'm curious about Vs mode, though.

It sounds from what I've read that the intent was to be semi-philosophical with the game, but that such intentions didn't cross over into the actual game play-- lots of 'what kind of monster am I', which is a little admirable I guess, but... well, he IS a ninja, after all. Plus, half of the fun of Ninja Gaiden is trying to get through it using different weapons, and everything I've seen indicates that they're holding those back as DLC, and you can pretty much only use the sword and shuriken.

Hey, and how about some actual news in a News Thread? I can't imagine that we didn't all see it coming, but Bayonetta is confirmed in Anarchy Reigns!

www.secret-arts.com

Gojira
2835th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(4):Random New Thread: Mass Ninja Effect Ga" , posted Wed 21 Mar 22:22post reply

Did they fix the problem with ME1 models not importing in ME3? I'm so mentally stuck on this that I can't buy the game, and I really hate that I'm stuck on this. I don't even like ME1 that much, but if I have to remake my Shepard from scratch it'll just take me out of the game, which I don't want.

Pollyanna
3212th Post

"Re(5):Random New Thread: Mass Ninja Effect Ga" , posted Thu 22 Mar 00:49post reply

quote:
Did they fix the problem with ME1 models not importing in ME3? I'm so mentally stuck on this that I can't buy the game, and I really hate that I'm stuck on this. I don't even like ME1 that much, but if I have to remake my Shepard from scratch it'll just take me out of the game, which I don't want.

I didn't even know you could import a ME1 save and not an ME2 save. At any rate, I don't believe the problem has been fixed. At least not last time I checked. Of course, I can't tell you how to feel, but the renders and customization options have been changed so that some things don't carry over anyway, and you'd probably be better off making a superior version of your original Shepard anyway.

again, I can't tell you how to enjoy your own game, but I think the more important thing is loading ME2 data so you don't miss out on a bunch of scenes/options.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Mosquiton
1809th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Random New Thread: Mass Ninja Effect Ga" , posted Thu 22 Mar 03:35:post reply

quote:
Bioware overdoes it sometimes with "romance". In Old Republic, I was going to like, have tea with some guy and we immediately knocked the tea on the ground and started making out like crazy. That is NOT what I had in mind.

When I invite a young lady to tea I think the implications are fairly clear...

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Thu 22 Mar 03:38]

Maou
2323th Post

"Re(4):Random New Thread: Mass Ninja Effect Ga" , posted Thu 22 Mar 05:18:post reply

quote:
When I invite a young lady to tea I think the implications are fairly clear...

Ha, I think it's more "tea" in Asia and "coffee" in the West for this pickup. But it's all in the Cafe's semi-official motto of
quote:
Being heroic while also being a shameless flirt
as Ish put it!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 22 Mar 05:19]

Gojira
2837th Post

"Re(6):Random New Thread: Mass Ninja Effect Ga" , posted Thu 22 Mar 08:03:post reply

quote:

I didn't even know you could import a ME1 save and not an ME2 save

Well you can't, it's more a problem of people who imported ME1 data into ME2 and didn't change how Shepard looks, and somehow I guess that causes the ME3 importer to panic and have a nervous breakdown.

The more I read about it the less it looks like it'll be fixed, though. People are complaining that they can't recreate what they originally made with the current tools either, so I may just have to bite the bullet and pretend that Shepard had some reason to get some galactic super cosmetic surgery before whatever she has to do.

Edit: Yay

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 24 Mar 03:59]

Nekros
425th Post

Gold Customer

"Ass Effect Continuum Shift" , posted Sun 25 Mar 22:18:post reply

So, finished with ME3 some days ago. A bit puzzled about the ending (came out of nowhere, carried in awful manner without explanations etc.) but in some way I'm ok with the game. Not as good and immersive as the first, not as fast-paced and well executed in terms of characters like the second. Stand alone is not worth if you haven't at least played the 2nd game.
Very disappointed about how some characters are handled in the end, except for a bunch that came to a fitting conclusion of their karma/life/story/whatever is meant in the game.
The Javik thing is ok but it could've done in a better way, more involving and less broish (). This game could have learned a couple of things from JRpgs like Xenosaga to have a better and original storywriting.
Glad to discuss this better when you've completed the game, too.

@Polly and female Turians thing: I have seen in the concept that female Turians are exactly like males but without horns. I think there are some femturi even in the game, for example the nurse at refugees camp (even if it has a male voice) is assumed as female in the Italian version. Same apply in other situations that I can't remember now. Btw, I played the english dub version (Italian to me is insulting of the whole game both as voice acting and adaptation...ie Reapers are translated with the Italian for Raiders) so I really can't tell the difference on that turian because "nurse" is used in both male or female cases.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Sun 25 Mar 22:36]

Spoon
2294th Post

"Re(1):Ass Effect Continuum Shift" , posted Mon 26 Mar 01:18:post reply

ME3 actually made me think about another game that had a much-touted story, Nier, which I also heard included a theme about the preservation of thinking beings.

However, I've never gotten around to playing through Nier, mainly due to lack of console availability. I vaguely remember Polly mentioning playing it and how incredibly ugly the protagonist of the game is, but I don't recall much else. Are there any interesting parallels that can be drawn? Or are the similarities mostly superficial?

[this message was edited by Spoon on Mon 26 Mar 01:19]

Ishmael
4347th Post

"Re(2):Ass Effect Continuum Shift" , posted Mon 26 Mar 05:29post reply

Yesterday I stumbled upon a local Street Fighter tournament that was being held at a bar. I encourage all tournament organizers to consider that type of venue for their future get-togethers because fighting games and adult beverages make for a nice mix.

Nekros
425th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Ass Effect Continuum Shift" , posted Mon 26 Mar 22:59post reply

quote:
Yesterday I stumbled upon a local Street Fighter tournament that was being held at a bar. I encourage all tournament organizers to consider that type of venue for their future get-togethers because fighting games and adult beverages make for a nice mix.

Agree, althoug pretty much anything is a good match for adult beverages.

Pollyanna
3213th Post

"Re(4):Ass Effect Continuum Shift" , posted Tue 27 Mar 09:35post reply

quote:
However, I've never gotten around to playing through Nier, mainly due to lack of console availability. I vaguely remember Polly mentioning playing it and how incredibly ugly the protagonist of the game is, but I don't recall much else. Are there any interesting parallels that can be drawn? Or are the similarities mostly superficial?

They're both action RPGs with interesting worlds, but otherwise, I never would've thought to compare the two. They're opposites in quite a few (superficial) ways I can think of though. I'll use ME2 as a point of comparison.

ME2 is one of the best looking western games I've played and Nier is one of the ugliest Japanese ones. I will listen to the fantastic Nier soundtrack for years to come, but don't even like the ME2 soundtrack in the game. I couldn't stop playing ME2 until I won it, but I had to force myself to play Nier until I couldn't stand it anymore and quit.

Despite its shortcomings, I don't think anyone will fault Nier for its story, though.

Also, just for the record, I don't mind the protagonist's design (I even like it), but his render is appallingly bad.

quote:
The Javik thing is ok but it could've done in a better way, more involving and less broish (). This game could have learned a couple of things from JRpgs like Xenosaga to have a better and original storywriting.

I like the idea that Javik is a dick, so it's like everyone built up Protheans in their minds only to find them kind of disappointing, but the fact that you have to pay extra money for him makes him a disappointment to me, too.

Although the dialogue and world building is top-notch in ME, I don't know if I'll ever see a story as uniquely interesting as Xenosaga again. Too bad the game was so horrible to play. Only Ep 3 was any good.

quote:
Yesterday I stumbled upon a local Street Fighter tournament that was being held at a bar.

I hope that your failure to clarify meant that it was a SF1 tournament, where any drunk person who could win the game in one credit would get a million dollars.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
4349th Post

"Re(5):Ass Effect Continuum Shift" , posted Tue 27 Mar 23:40post reply

quote:
ME2 is one of the best looking western games I've played and Nier is one of the ugliest Japanese ones. I will listen to the fantastic Nier soundtrack for years to come, but don't even like the ME2 soundtrack in the game. I couldn't stop playing ME2 until I won it, but I had to force myself to play Nier until I couldn't stand it anymore and quit.

A side note, but I like that one or two of the tracks in ME3 give off a John Carpenter sort of vibe. It's like the game suddenly goes from being space opera to being the best videogame homage to Assault on Precinct 13 since RE2.

Ishmael
4350th Post

"Re(6):Tokyo Jungle Continuum Shift" , posted Thu 29 Mar 02:53post reply

Double Post!

In Tokyo Jungle you can dress cows up in schoolgirl outfits. I didn't expect this game to make any sense but it has gone above and beyond the call of duty.

KTallguy
1368th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):Tokyo Jungle Continuum Shift" , posted Thu 29 Mar 08:52post reply

quote:
Double Post!

CCCCCCombo breakerrr

But wow that looks pretty ace! Cows in skirts, it's a hillbilly dream!

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

sfried
763th Post

PSN: My3DSFriendCode
XBL: isdownbellow
Wii: 279306128909

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(8):Kid Icarus Continuum Shift Extend" , posted Thu 29 Mar 09:41:post reply

quote:
Double Post!

CCCCCCombo breakerrr

Counter!

Uprising seems to be dominating the charts. Not bad for an IP revived from death and obscurity.

More images of Etrian Odyssey/Sekaiju no Meikyuu 4. Plus its boxart.

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 29 Mar 13:46]

Mosquiton
1809th Post

"Re(9):Kid Icarus Continuum Shift Extend" , posted Thu 29 Mar 16:35post reply

quote:

More images of Etrian Odyssey/Sekaiju no Meikyuu 4. Plus its boxart.

I don't have a huge problem with Etrian's artstyle and really thought the first game had a rather fresh look, but I worry thay this artist is running out of good designs.

Having to do four takes on each character concept for four games without repeating yourself has got to be a huge challenge. I wish they'd bring in someone new...

/ / /

Nekros
428th Post

Gold Customer

"Re: Epic Mickey 90's Continuum Shift" , posted Thu 29 Mar 18:38:post reply

quote:
Double Post!

In Tokyo Jungle you can dress cows up in schoolgirl outfits. I didn't expect this game to make any sense but it has gone above and beyond the call of duty.

This is the most moronic thing you can do with an animal (pet or whatever), it's just so hideous that gives me the creeps...one step under furry-retarded sex scenes.
The game is interesting, but only if not limited to a pomeranian gameplay. In any case, it's not a call of duty, so it's more than ok to me.

Regarding ME ost: the electronica tracks are very good (used to listen the map theme in a dark room with only an azure spot of light, or for the better if you have one of that star projectors use it with that song :P) and place in the right mood when encounter alien cultures in space. BUUUUUT is a western game, so it got ruined with all the orchestral pieces, as always try to imitate movie scores and resulting in a lack of personality and uninspiring use of instruments. Seriously, when listened to that "inception horn" I lose any hope that ME3 may have any interesting music to listen to. I have still to use my bonus dlc soundtrack code from LE, and probabily I'll never use it.
Why western games can't have a soundtrack that remind you're playing a fxxxing game? This is a trend that is sadly imitated by Jap developers too. If there's something that Japan couldn't go wrong are still the soundtracks...maybe.

Enough with the rant, I'll save it for discussing with you ME3 ending XD
Let's see some good stuff: Epic Mickey is a game that basically I won't give a damn...with 3D I stopped playing Disney games because they lost that "touch" that make them cartoonish and interesting in the beginning. The new version of Epic Mickey 2 for 3DS will not be a direct port of the Wii version but a completely new game that will be a follow-up to the 90s Sega games Castle Of Illusion and World Of Illusion. It was blowing: http://www.nintendo-master.com/xtnews/news-30159_details_et_images_pour_epic_mickey__power_of_illusion.htm (yes, it's sprite-based)
If only Sonic, Rockman and Mario could have the same treatment ^^'

[this message was edited by Nekros on Thu 29 Mar 18:50]

karasu99
883th Post

"Re(1):Re: Epic Mickey 90's Continuum Shift" , posted Fri 30 Mar 05:45post reply

quote:
Epic Mickey 2 stuff

I'm thrilled about this game, and it may actually encourage me to buy a 3DS finally. For a franchise that I could care less about (Disney, that is), or that's actually even a turn off a lot of the time, I think that the Disney platformers for Megadrive from that era are some of the most aesthetically pleasing and fun to play platformers ever, so taking a cue from them is really exciting!

www.secret-arts.com

Maou
2324th Post

"Re(2):Re: Epic Mickey 90's Continuum Shift" , posted Fri 30 Mar 08:05post reply

quote:
Disney platformers for Megadrive from that era are some of the most aesthetically pleasing and fun to play platformers ever, so taking a cue from them is really exciting!

Absolutely, and don't forget that the Super Famicom had a great one, too, Magical Quest. I can remember every scene from that game, what a thrill!

Ishmael
4352th Post

"Re(3):Re: Epic Mickey 90's Continuum Shift" , posted Fri 30 Mar 10:43post reply

If Scrooge McDuck is an unlockable character I might have to pick up a 3DS.

Nekros
429th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re: Epic Mickey 90's Continuum Shift" , posted Fri 30 Mar 17:35post reply

quote:
If Scrooge McDuck is an unlockable character I might have to pick up a 3DS.

Unfortunately not. It will be a mouse/rabbit flick, but Scrooge and other ducks are granted as guest appearences. Every stage is said to be inspired on a Disney animated movie (screens hints at Peter Pan plus Beauty and The Beast, and there are rumors about Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and even Tangled). I would prefer that have inspired to a certain theme (ie: classic cartoon level, Duck Tales level, princesses level, etc.). Hope not to see anything related to Winnie Poo(h) or Nightmare Before Christmas and focus mantained on classic animation or obscure cameos like Oswald.

About 90s games, well... I liked the Illusion series, but my fav was Quackshot: good gameplay, great theme, funny soundtrack...it had all a good game should have. A little flaw here and there but overall a very engagin game. Plus, no save feature, so it were all on players' skill.

Pollyanna
3215th Post

"Re(5):Re: Epic Mickey 90's Continuum Shift" , posted Sat 31 Mar 08:03post reply

I feel like I need to say, just like...for the record, that Gravity Daze really is quite possibly the best game ever made. It's like finishing a level in Mario Galaxy or beating a boss in Wander and the Colossus only it's more stylish and cool like... I don't know. Like the first time you played Jet Set Radio and you'd never seen anything else like it. Every time I put the game down I think "this is the best thing I've ever played."

The environments really are beautiful from every angle...and you know, because you see them from every angle. You soar above the trees, squeeze between the alleyways and slide beneath the guts of the city...and every pixel is perfect. Designing a beautiful backdrop is one thing, but creating a living environment that you can explore in 360 degrees that is as lovely as an illustration wherever you go is a monumental accomplishment.

I emphasize 360 degrees, because I feel like this is the first game that's really REALLY 3D. When you tilt the Vita to look in different directions, it feels like you're looking through a window into a tiny world.

The camera controls are surprisingly seamless. I would think that tilting a system to look around or change direction would be an obnoxious novelty, but it's actually mechanically useful as well (of course, fine tuning with the 2nd analog helps, too). Although you can't technically "fly" (rather you choose which direction you "fall" in by playing with gravity), the air-to-air battles are like nothing I've ever experienced before. Somehow, they created something completely new and got it absolutely perfect on the first try. I wouldn't imagine that a game that lets you flip around in every possible direction (so that you don't know up from down anymore) would actually work without being frustrating, but they pulled it off. And I would expect a game that lets you go anywhere to have lots of bad textures and invisible barriers (I'm looking at you Wander and the Colossus), but somehow they avoided that, too.

The comic-style cut scenes look great and the music is beautiful and I love the characters and the trials are surprisingly fun and I could go on and on...but the point is, this game far exceeded my expectations for itself and video games in general. It deserves every award and lots of awards that haven't been made up yet.

I only have one tiny frustration with the game that I can hardly fault it for. The game has shockingly little loading time. Even as you move from one giant, complex city to the next, there is no pause. However, when you load a trial, each time you restart, it has to load again. This is unavoidable and it's the amount of loading time I would expect, but the fact that the rest of the game has pretty much no loading whatsoever makes it a frustration when you're retrying the trials to get gold rank.

Also

quote:
Epic Mickey

Although I like the approach, I'm not really impressed with these screenshots. Maybe it'll look better in motion, but as it stands, it doesn't really look as good as the old Sega games that it's being compared to. Again, maybe it moves really well (the Sega games certainly did), but it looks like the 3DS is capable of better than that, despite it not being the strongest system on the market.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
1051th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):Re: Epic Mickey 90's Continuum Shift" , posted Sat 31 Mar 09:45post reply

quote:
I feel like I need to say, just like...for the record, that Gravity Daze really is quite possibly the best game ever made. It's like finishing a level in Mario Galaxy or beating a boss in Wander and the Colossus only it's more stylish and cool like... I don't know. Like the first time you played Jet Set Radio and you'd never seen anything else like it. Every time I put the game down I think "this is the best thing I've ever played."

The environments really are beautiful from every angle...and you know, because you see them from every angle. You soar above the trees, squeeze between the alleyways and slide beneath the guts of the city...and every pixel is perfect. Designing a beautiful backdrop is one thing, but creating a living environment that you can explore in 360 degrees that is as lovely as an illustration wherever you go is a monumental accomplishment.

I emphasize 360 degrees, because I feel like this is the first game that's really REALLY 3D. When you tilt the Vita to look in different directions, it feels like you're looking through a window into a tiny world.

The camera controls are surprisingly seamless. I would think that tilting a system to look around or change direction would be an obnoxious novelty, but it's actually mechanically useful as well (of course, fine tuning with the 2nd analog helps, too). Although you can't technically "fly" (rather you choose which direction you "fall" in by playing with gravity), the air-to-air battles are like nothin

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

You sold me. I'm going to get a Vita now.

www.art-eater.com

sfried
764th Post

"Re(7):Re: Epic Mickey 90's Continuum Shift" , posted Sat 31 Mar 12:55:post reply

You guys, all I have to say is Kid Icarus Uprising has completely vindicated every 3DS owner out there. This right here is the 3DS killer app. From the first few levels to the final showdown, the game grabs you and won't let go. It's like Sakurai channeled the energies of Hideo Kojima, Suda 51, and Treasure Ltd.

For starters the flight segments are just breathtaking, and they're not all aerial vistas, either! I really don't want to spoil much of the setting the levels take in, but whatever they are they really feel vast, and you can really feel as if your approaching them. The 3D is really just icing on the cake of what's being rendered, you might actually question just how capable the 3DS really is after watching the game in motion. The backgrounds are alive with activity and surprises, and sometimes if stick close to the ground, Pit will actually stop flying and start running through the scenery seamlessly.

The ground segments then give some breather while keeping you at a great pace. Most games these days have tons of backtracking, while in Uprising, the levels constantly push you forwards by sometimes preventing you from going back, which is by no means bad, because you probably would want to get to the nearest hot spring when you can. The combat, for one, is frantic, but deep and varied. It reminds me of the best parts of Kirby Super Star: Your weapons have a neutral, forward, and side attacks, with charged shot variants. It goes well with the pacing I mentioned earlier. That's not to say there isn't any exploration: On the contrary, if you're brave enough to go for certain treasure chests, or crank the difficulty high enough to open certain Intensity Gates within the level, you may actually encounter certain enemy types and acquire certain items you probably wouldn't have the first time through. Replaying any of the Chapters feels so rewarding because of this.

I also have to mention the voice acting this game. After many people claiming travesty to Other M, Uprising's dialogue is a breath of fresh air: It's self-aware humor that embraces the fact that it's a videogame, but unlike No More Heroes, it celebrates the fact that it is a videogame (and not a movie) wholeheartedly. Whoever did the localization should be promoted because this game contains rather witty and well-written scripts for a videogame, and not just by Nintendo standards, mind you. In fact, it feels like a game not made by Nintendo considering the surprising amount of production values and voice work that went over this. Luckily, the rapid-fire dialogue comes at you on the bottom screen, keeping the action uninterrupted. Seriously, this is like a cleaver, real-time implementation of the Codec screen in the Metal Gear games complete with character reaction portraits.

There's also something unique about the artstyle and character animation. I can't quite put a finger on it, but it's something like a Japanese interpretation of Pixar, like the human character animations in the Kingdom Hearts games, which is fitting given the content.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Even a character or two's mannerisms that seems to be ripped straight out of a Dreamworks CG movies. Then again, it could just be incredibly good localization.

End of Spoiler

Not to forget about the soundtrack...My god, never mind the pedigree Sakurai got to score for this game (Motoi Sakuraba, Yuzo Koshiro, Masafumi Takada, Noriyuki Iwadare, & Yasunori Mitsuda): The music itself is memorable, and they're not just all orchestral bombardments, either! This has to be the most varied videogame OST I've seen in a long time, with rock, synth, jazz styles thrown into the mix.

Finally the mutiplayer feels nice and rewarding, even if you start out a complete n00b. Light vs. Dark is like a Sakurai version of Team Deathmatch mixed with Kirby Air Ride's City Trial. Playing support is probably the best way to get the feel of things, and even starting out with weaker weapons benefits you since if you get taken out, your team's health gauge won't decrease as much as someone with a more powerful weapon.

Overall, I compelled to make this my personal GOTY, despite all of the complaints people had about the controls, which I will say: It's definitely not bad as people claim it to be. You just have to let go about having to need a dual-analog setup everytime you see a third-person shooting game. It just took me a few minutes to tweak the default controls, a few hours of play, and a bit of refined tweaking and I'm more comfortable playing with this setup than I am with any second analog stick. I don't even use the stand to play.

This has to be Sakurai's best work since Kirby Super Star, and a game that may even contend for GOTY. Yes, even with ME3.

Edit: Some people are already claiming this to be Gurren Lagann in videogame form. I guess that's a close approximation.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 31 Mar 13:45]

sfried
765th Post

"Re(8):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Sat 31 Mar 13:57:post reply

DOUBLE POST!
Bravely Default is being penned by Naotaka Hayashi. Intriguing.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 31 Mar 14:00]

Grave
1444th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

"Re(9):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Sat 31 Mar 14:54post reply

Hey, I played some more games.
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations Or Whatever The Fuck It's Called
Very pretty, great roster... but once story mode's done I kind of lost all interest. The fighting's not that much fun once you've seen everyone you wanted to see and beat up some people with them. Granted, there's a lot of them! Will be taking this one back.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Only reason I picked this up is because everyone's trashing it and I had to know if it deserved it! The last Capcom 3rd person shooter that got shat all over, Lost Planet 2, is easily among my top 5 (if not my absolute favorite!) games of this generation despite its poor reception. And I really, REALLY wish they handed a concept this good to that team, because Slant Six apparently has no idea what it means to ship a working product. Folks who've played their SOCOM titles weren't at all surprised when I told them how "rough around the edges" (an understatement, really) RE:ORC is.

Single player is completely ruined by the brain-dead AI that often shoots at nothing (sometimes the floor), runs headfirst into tripwire mines and fire and constantly refuses to help you out. Babysitting three vegetables with guns while you try to fight hordes of zombies, lickers, human soldiers etc. just isn't fun. At least, not until you unlock some of the decent weapons... which brings me to the next issue.

Weapon damage is completely and utterly boned. Rifles with scopes will barely ever kill anything in a single headshot, even humans and zombies with no head protection. The best pistol (Samurai Edge) headshots more easily than the majority if not all of the rifles you'll pick up along the way. Most of the low-level weapons are worthless and since you're always forced to carry a pistol, you'll constantly be switching between shotgun, SMG or rifle in your ONE WEAPON SLOT. The hell? Also, have fun trying to resurrect one of your partners if they die on a pile of weapons. It's hard enough to let the game know you want to revive instead of curbstomp, cuz it's the same button. But so is swap weapon! So you'll constantly get the two actions you don't want, even when you're holding the button to revive. That's just awesome.

Never mind the idiotic "boss encounters" with human targets that basically just involve rushing them, once you've figured out that they won't die after emptying an entire rifle's ammo into their face with no effect. Not sure what was going on there.

The worst part is that despite all these complaints, I think this game could be patched into something quite good, because it can be a lot of fun with the right people online. It needs a better dodge mechanic rather than the clumsy dive with the long recovery that lets the enemy you were dodging get right back on top of you, some real partner AI, some intelligent weapon balancing, maybe some control tweaks... okay, so it needs a lot of work. I wish I could keep it and say I'm confident that they'll fix what's wrong with it, but this is Capcom we're talking about. Regardless of Slant Six's record, I doubt Capcom gives a fuck as long as people keep buying it. So I'll probably get my money back for this as well. Oh well.
quote:
blah blah Kid Icarus blah

And when I do take one of the above back, I'll be buying Kid Icarus because of sfried's gushing. You should be getting commission for that shit!

Pollyanna
3216th Post

"Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Sat 31 Mar 16:34post reply

quote:
And when I do take one of the above back, I'll be buying Kid Icarus because of sfried's gushing. You should be getting commission for that shit!

I would not believe sfried if he told me he didn't work for Nintendo. Still, I'll be picking up Kid Icarus when I finally cave in and buy a 3DS. Really hoping for a new model with an added analog for the holiday season. I'll buy anything with good games on it, but the 3DS has a lot of strikes against it in my book.

Either way, sold on Icarus and double sold on Bravely Default.

quote:
Single player is completely ruined by the brain-dead AI that often shoots at nothing (sometimes the floor), runs headfirst into tripwire mines and fire and constantly refuses to help you out.

HAHAHAHAH!

Another victim of the "gotta get it out by March" syndrome. So many scarred games.

quote:
You sold me. I'm going to get a Vita now.

I am hugely fond of the Vita and I hope it follows the PSP's long (if slow-starting) life and robust software selection. Still, Gravity Daze more than justifies the purchase of the system for me, but I don't know if everyone else is quite as loose with their money.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
766th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Sat 31 Mar 17:32:post reply

quote:
I would not believe sfried if he told me he didn't work for Nintendo. Still, I'll be picking up Kid Icarus when I finally cave in and buy a 3DS. Really hoping for a new model with an added analog for the holiday season. I'll buy anything with good games on it, but the 3DS has a lot of strikes against it in my book.

Either way, sold on Icarus and double sold on Bravely Default.
And I really wouldn't believe it if you told me you weren't working for Sony, docking point unnecessarily just because it's the 3DS. Really, I don't see how you have to wait for a revision to enjoy these games. The CPPro is only needed for lefties and even then, the controls are configurable so you can use the face buttons for movement (some people actually find this setup better than using the Pad).

It's like your closing your ears and saying "Lala, 3DS doesn't have any good games, and if they do, they don't count!". The 3DS already has a more robust selection of great software on it.

In the meantime, enjoy listening to the awesome music until you cave. - Nico Luckily the tracks are not labeled so nothing is spoiled (much).

[this message was edited by sfried on Sun 1 Apr 00:19]

Nekros
430th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Playstation Vita Un-gravity Shift" , posted Sat 31 Mar 22:14post reply

quote:

Please don't do this anymore. I can't afford to buy a Vita but Gravity and Sumioni are games that I want to play once in my life. I'm looking forward to the system but I learned with PSP that is not clever buying any console on day1, especially portable ones. Probabily will get the game even without owning the actual console, but to me, Vita and 3DS are both too expensive and with a possible better version on the horizon (as always, I think at least a new 3DS with 2 analogs is on the way for 2013). I won't be cheated twice :P

Pollyanna
3218th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Sun 1 Apr 06:58:post reply

quote:
And I really wouldn't believe it if you told me you weren't working for Sony, docking point unnecessarily just because it's the 3DS. Really, I don't see how you have to wait for a revision to enjoy these games. The CPPro is only needed for lefties and even then, the controls are configurable so you can use the face buttons for movement (some people actually find this setup better than using the Pad).

It's like your closing your ears and saying "Lala, 3DS doesn't have any good games, and if they do, they don't count!". The 3DS already has a more robust selection of great software on it.

I know dude, I'm totally the most awesome Sony rep. That's why I likened Gravity Daze to Mario Galaxy in its level of greatness and told people that Mass Effect was probably better on 360. And also why I ranted and ranted about Xenoblade and Last Story. But hey, Sony lost a lot of money this last year, so I guess I'm the best they can afford.

Still, since I own every other system, I have my hands full enough already. I'm hoping for a 3DS revision because I have the luxury of waiting. You're absolutely right that I don't have to have a revision to enjoy the games right now, but I also don't have to enjoy them right now. For the record, I also waited on the second model before I bought a PSP. Prior to the Vita, I've never liked portable systems because I work from home and rarely get out.

I mentioned this before, so I'm sorry for repeating myself, but I'm also turned away by the region lock on 3DS. I import a ton of games, but I don't like being locked out of the region I live in, either. This is a major factor for me. And as I said, since I have the luxury of time, I'm hoping someone works around that. Not expecting it, but hoping.

Even with no region lock workaround, even with no new revision, even not liking anything in particular about the system, I will eventually buy a 3DS just like a bought a Wii and 2 DS systems, because some games just demand to be played. (I just happen to have a whole pile of them on other systems right now)

As a Sony rep vs a Nintendo rep, please be content in the fact that I've purchased a wide number of Nintendo products vs your presumably few Sony ones. If I preorder a Wii U, can we be friends?

EDIT2:
I forgot to say, YES! The Icarus soundtrack is out of sight! Ironically, I might end up buying the OST before I get the game. It reminds me of the Yuusha 30/30 Second OST, which had a lot of the same superstars (and then some). I think they only posted the Icarus songs on the official site, like...a week ago? So it was like "Oh yeah, and how about THIS!?" at the last minute.

EDIT:
quote:
Please don't do this anymore. I can't afford to buy a Vita but Gravity and Sumioni are games that I want to play once in my life. I'm looking forward to the system but I learned with PSP that is not clever buying any console on day1, especially portable ones. Probabily will get the game even without owning the actual console, but to me, Vita and 3DS are both too expensive and with a possible better version on the horizon (as always, I think at least a new 3DS with 2 analogs is on the way for 2013). I won't be cheated twice :P

Sumioni has a great concept, but it really does appear to be quite awful. On the upside, that means it's probably be dirt cheap after a while. Although I don't expect a new Vita MODEL any time soon, I can see holding out for a price drop or attractive holiday package. Seeing what the system offers, I can't imagine them shaving too much off the price without losing tons of money, but those memory cards certainly are a kick in the pants.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Sun 1 Apr 07:38]

Maou
2325th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Sun 1 Apr 08:21post reply

quote:
I know dude, I'm totally the most awesome Sony rep.
Sorry dudes (/dudette), I am the most awesome Sony rep. Since I haven't been bothered to buy a new system since a DS Lite, my gaming is all through friends, so my experiences are skewed based on the purposefully limited selection of fighting games and art games we played. Therefore, since (unlike Polly, I'm afraid), I loved Flower and I play a lot of SF IV, my experience with the PS3 is literally 100% positive. Buy one today, kidz!

Ishmael
4354th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Sun 1 Apr 09:01post reply

Good News/Bad News

Good: Dragon's Dogma suddenly looks really good.

Bad: Once again Sega admits defeat but vows to continue to publish Sonic games purely out of spite.

Loona
545th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Mon 2 Apr 18:02post reply

quote:
Bad: Once again Sega admits defeat but vows to continue to publish Sonic games purely out of spite.

There goes the shot at getting the SoR Remake team to release an official HD sequel/remake or soemthing...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Nekros
431th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Tue 3 Apr 00:06post reply

quote:
Good News/Bad News

Sega can step aside and leave the Sonic fanbase produce Sonic games, eventually financing them or support them with marketing and economics.
DD looks like a certain Creed, the enviroment, the lights, the buildings...all reminds me of that game. Except gameplay, of course.

Spoon
2295th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Tue 3 Apr 02:37post reply

quote:

Sega can step aside and leave the Sonic fanbase produce Sonic games, eventually financing them or support them with marketing and economics.

The problem for me is that the Sonic fanbase is obsessed with the past. They have an enormous amount of talent and skill, but all of it is put towards making games that play exactly like Sonic 1/2/3+Knuckles. Sega made a ton of okay/mediocre/bad Sonic games and didn't seem to know at all how to make a new Sonic game that wasn't exactly like the old Sonic games but could still be considered a "Sonic game".

In the reverse case, Nintendo made Mario 64, and Retro Studios made Metroid Prime. I don't like playing either as much as their previous franchise entries, but there's no way that either can be recognized as anything but great games that fully capture the essence of their franchises while bringing all kinds of new things to the table.

I think Sega finally hit upon a reasonably happy medium with Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, and even most of the Sonic fanbase recognizes that. Both games capture the colorful and fast nature of the old Sonic games, have long sections that play like the old Sonic games, have lots of references to the past, but bring in some new 3D things and are full of great looking art and nice sounding music. It's taken so many years to finally get to this point that it'd be a shame if it died along with the restructuring.

Nekros
432th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Tue 3 Apr 04:24post reply

quote:

The problem for me is that the Sonic fanbase is obsessed with the past. They have an enormous amount of talent and skill, but all of it is put towards making games that play exactly like Sonic 1/2/3+Knuckles. Sega made a ton of okay/mediocre/bad Sonic games and didn't seem to know at all how to make a new Sonic game that wasn't exactly like the old Sonic games but could still be considered a "Sonic game".

In the reverse case, Nintendo made Mario 64, and Retro Studios made Metroid Prime. I don't like playing either as much as their previous franchise entries, but there's no way that either can be recognized as anything but great games that fully capture the essence of their franchises while bringing all kinds of new things to the table.

I think Sega finally hit upon a reasonably happy medium with Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, and even most of the Sonic fanbase recognizes that. Both games capture the colorful and fast nature of the old Sonic games, have long sections that play like the old Sonic games, have lots of references to the past, but bring in some new 3D things and are full of great looking art and nice sounding music. It's taken so many years to finally get to this point that it'd be a shame if it died along with the restructuring.

You nailed it pretty well, but consider that most indie developers of Sonic Games have a love for the franchise that Sega, as a nowadays developer, can't develop or have at all. Sure, the fanbase is stick with Megadrive days, but something new and fresh can be made even using that engine again and again. When Sega gives us a Sonic 4 with a chunky physics, the fans give us this: . Just as an example of how can be done a PROPER Sonic 4 game (new animations, music and even the Chaotix sprites). I have more faith in those people than Sega, for sure.

Said this, I liked Colors and Generations and the path the series has taken.

Pollyanna
3218th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Tue 3 Apr 06:44post reply

quote:
Therefore, since (unlike Polly, I'm afraid), I loved Flower and I play a lot of SF IV, my experience with the PS3 is literally 100% positive. Buy one today, kidz!

I make fun of you a lot for not playing new games, but every time, I feel this tiny sense of guilt thinking "What if he has some rare disease that costs a lot of money to treat and he can't afford new games?" I mean, for all I know, you have to eat diamonds to stay alive. I also thought for a moment, that maybe you've been in a coma for 10 years or so, and while you have some device hooked up to your brain that lets you post on the internet, it does not allow you to play games. You just debunked that by mentioning Flower, though I can't think of a better game for someone in a coma to play.

quote:

I've been feeling like it's not worth buying games when they first come out anymore. Better to wait until the DLC settles and the price drops, but it's getting harder and harder not to preorder Dragon's Dogma. The fact that you can make your main character a child counterbalances the lack of multiplayer.

quote:

When I first read this on a different site, I thought they said they were cancelling games aimed at a Western market, but I'm not sure if I was just reading what I wanted to hear or not.

Either way, it's a shame, since Sega has pulled themselves out of the muck in my eyes. They were quite laughable for a few years there. Still, since the games I like usually find their way to the bargain bins very quickly, I don't know that being in favor with me is a good business decision. I worry for Platinum a bit now, though.

Sonic Colors and Generations were indeed good, but in such a way that I'm not really hungry for more Sonic right now. They'd have to pleasantly surprise me with some new ideas...and unfortunately, that's not their strong point.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
2327th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Tue 3 Apr 11:37:post reply

quote:
for all I know, you have to eat diamonds to stay alive.
Hahaha, it is Metal Gear Solid: Diamond Eater all the time around here. Actually, my games of choice were always fighters and RPG's, and since fighters are always at friends' houses anyway, I just never got around to more than my DS, and even that I accidentally forgot to buy until two years after I originally planned.
quote:
Flower, though I can't think of a better game for someone in a coma to play.
Even though I think Flower is a fantastic experience (to have exactly once), this is too cleverly integrated a jab for me to possibly rebut.

Take heart, though. If I could ever remember to buy a Wii, I would do so based entirely on your/the Cafe's evaluations of Arc Rise Fantasia, Last Story, and Xenoblade as pretty great.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 3 Apr 11:38]

nobinobita
1053th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Tue 3 Apr 14:29post reply

quote:
I've been feeling like it's not worth buying games when they first come out anymore. Better to wait until the DLC settles and the price drops, but it's getting harder and harder not to preorder Dragon's Dogma. The fact that you can make your main character a child counterbalances the lack of multiplayer.

What do you think of the graphics/art?

www.art-eater.com

Pollyanna
3219th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Tue 3 Apr 15:28post reply

quote:

I think very little of one and very highly of the other. Obviously, the designs for everything are super classic. Really nothing inspired. Of course, I'd rather have something like Berserk or Dark Souls that gets really creative with the western fantasy thing. This extends to the human and clothing designs as well as the monsters.

But...the renders are super great. The monsters have a fantastic weight to them and a lot of personality in their movements. They're "well constructed" like a living thing with real moving parts rather than a texture draped over a wireframe. The humans have great faces as well. I pick on Dragon Age (which I liked fairly well) and Elder Scrolls for being inexcusably ugly. People always say "it's not supposed to be pretty", but that's no excuse for getting facial proportions SO VERY WRONG. The people in Dragon's Dogma aren't pretty, but they look like people. The edited characters have a lot of personality and the difference in size and body proportions is really nice.

Of course, I haven't played the game. I haven't seen in on my TV, so it's hard to say how great it does or doesn't look, but my impression from videos is that its generic concept is overcompensated for in its fantastic execution. Even if the designs are boring, they're being rendered by one of the best graphics teams in the industry. A friend of mine put it this way: "Sure, that's a generic harpy, but has anyone ever rendered a harpy that well before? It's the perfect generic harpy."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
1054th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re: Bravely;Default" , posted Wed 4 Apr 16:52post reply

quote:

I think very little of one and very highly of the other. Obviously, the designs for everything are super classic. Really nothing inspired. Of course, I'd rather have something like Berserk or Dark Souls that gets really creative with the western fantasy thing. This extends to the human and clothing designs as well as the monsters.

But...the renders are super great. The monsters have a fantastic weight to them and a lot of personality in their movements. They're "well constructed" like a living thing with real moving parts rather than a texture draped over a wireframe. The humans have great faces as well. I pick on Dragon Age (which I liked fairly well) and Elder Scrolls for being inexcusably ugly. People always say "it's not supposed to be pretty", but that's no excuse for getting facial proportions SO VERY WRONG. The people in Dragon's Dogma aren't pretty, but they look like people. The edited characters have a lot of personality and the difference in size and body proportions is really nice.

Of course, I haven't played the game. I haven't seen in on my TV, so it's hard to say how great it does or doesn't look,

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Well put!

This game is like the perfect case study in Capcom vs WRPG aesthetics. I don't mean this in a shallow "Anime" vs "Realism" sense. I mean like, I've never seen a Japanese company try so hard to match American design sensibilities and ... SUCEED so well!

The closest thing I can think of is are the Yukes WWF games. The characters are so very very American looking, but the execution is subtly Japanese.

It's like in the past, Japanese games that were hits in the US were like Yoshoku. They may have Western inspiration, but at the end of the day they are aimed at Japanese consumption. But nowadays there are so many Japanese run restaurants of every cuisine that are ultra authentic. I guess games are going increasingly in that direction too.

www.art-eater.com

nobinobita
1056th Post

"Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Wed 4 Apr 17:18:post reply

quote:
Even if the designs are boring, they're being rendered by one of the best graphics teams in the industry. A friend of mine put it this way: "Sure, that's a generic harpy, but has anyone ever rendered a harpy that well before? It's the perfect generic harpy."

Thanks for sharing that. I certainly see where your friend is coming from, but I can't help but think ...

This is a classical representation of a harpy:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Harpy.PNG/220px-Harpy.PNG

This is what most Harpies in recent games look like (bald, thin, veiny, lanky women + vulture (and give or take a smooth monster face):
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/cannibalcandy/GOW3/harpy-Izzy.jpg

This is a CAPCOM harpy!
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/np7/char/lavia-warzard.png

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters4/lavia-a.html

Lavia is like, the COOOOOLEST take on a harpy i've ever seen for so many reasons.

She's got CRAZY proportions. She has very muscular shoulders, giant forearms, gigantic hands and feet, in many ways she's way more traditionally masculine than all those other harpies, and yet she projects voluptuous womanly beauty (because her exagerrated features read as more Avian than manly). Just one look at her and you can feel her strong personality, confident, vicious, condescending (much of this is achieved through her upright and symmetrical posture). Although she's obviously a harpie, she also references old Chinese folk tales about cranes being beautiful immortal celestial women who turn into cranes when they put on magical cloaks (which they remove when they bath--that's your chance to bag one!). You can tell because her avian features are very eastern in color and shape and because she's wearing Tang Dynasty under-garments.

I mean, it's taking me a really long time to fumble through the words to describe her, but the first time I saw her in Warzard, I just felt all that at once. That's how masterful Capcom's designers are, they can say so much with so little.

And she's just a minor character in the Capcom pantheon!

I guess what I want to say is that, I really really hope there's some elements in Dragon's Dogma where Capcom is just absolutely unfettered and reaches the crazy heights of awesomeness that I know them to be capable of.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 4 Apr 17:24]

karasu99
888th Post

"Re(1):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Thu 5 Apr 01:08post reply

quote:
Harpy talk

I feel like I need to chime in here to, since we're getting into a subject that's pretty dear to my heart, Western mythological creatures. Even before video games were graphically capable of portraying monsters in a remotely legible manner, I was a schoolkid who was obsessed with Greek and Roman mythological creatures, and of course naturally Dungeons and Dragons.

Looking at Dragon's Dogma screens, I'm simply floored by how they get it all just perfectly. As an example, Capcom's Magic Sword, which I LOVE, has a bunch of pretty straightforward designs for the same kinds of creatures. Take for instance the chimera. In Magic Sword, it hews pretty closely to the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons era chimera design. The one in Dragon's Dogma, however, gets even more traditional in its appearance, and even closer to the actual source material (or here's one that's actually Greek, not Etruscan) in the story of Bellerophon.

Just watching the trailers and videos for DD, I can't believe how close it gets to (at least my impression of) the source material. The harpy, as Nobi and Polly have mentioned, is less exaggerated , and the hydra, for the only time I can recall in any game, is just a huge, multiheaded snake, and its movements in the trailer are pretty accurately snakelike, I thought. Speaking of the harpy, traditionally they're carrion-eaters, like vultures (and the general consensus is that they were based at least somewhat on far-off views of the featherless heads of vultures or buzzards), so I had always thought that they should be appropriately scruffy and nasty looking. Capcom's design for Lavia, even though it flies in the face of this idea, is really cool and beautiful though.

I'm not saying I prefer this to any other particular interpretation though-- going back to Nobi's mention of Warzard, how can I NOT love its interpretation of a chimera, Ravange, which mixes in lots of Egyptian inspirations, and is very Anakaris-reminiscent? It's just refreshing to see some very back-to-basics deigns as well.

And of course this game makes me think of another AD&D-rooted Japanese creation which I remember fondly, Record of Lodoss War!

Huh, I'm not sure why I hadn't preordered DD already, but this talk has tipped me over the edge. I'm flat-out excited now!

www.secret-arts.com

Ishmael
4357th Post

"Re(2):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Thu 5 Apr 03:05post reply

quote:
Just watching the trailers and videos for DD, I can't believe how close it gets to (at least my impression of) the source material.

I that's one of the things that's impressing me about DD. There are not a lot of games that I can think of that haven't felt the need to put their own spin on fantastic creatures. By being so traditional DD actually feels fresh. Combining that with kinetic looking combat and magic that looks really cool has really caught my attention.

Incredibly, Way of the Samurai 4 is coming to the US. I have no idea how or why this is happening but it makes me happy.

Grave
1445th Post

"Re(3):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Thu 5 Apr 04:15post reply

quote:
Incredibly, Way of the Samurai 4 is coming to the US. I have no idea how or why this is happening but it makes me happy.

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

Okay, so I loved the first game, hated the second game, enjoyed the third to a degree... but this! This! How could I not want this game?! Samurai vs. whitey?! Yes. I'm in at any price. XSEED is killing it. Killing it! English Ys games on Steam would have bought months if not years of good will, but this? XSEED, if you're reading this, we're best friends now.

Toxico
5605th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(3):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Thu 5 Apr 05:13post reply

quote:

That's really good news. Now I feel like eating something. I also really hoping that the game allows you to cannibalize on your own species!!!!!

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 23 as of 20/11/11

Pollyanna
3220th Post

"Re(3):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Thu 5 Apr 06:56post reply

Totally random, but I recently purchased Hori's SCV arcade stick, because it was $50 off. Before I was using the Qanba 3in1, which is a great stick with lovely PS3/360 compatibility. If you're looking for a dual-system stick, it's a good buy, but the Hori really beats it out otherwise.
Some dude wrote a review if you want a more detailed look:

Of particular note are the added USB slots, so if you have a new model PS3, you can plug controllers into controllers to play 4 wired joysticks at once. Now all I need are friends!

Speaking of how lame I am, I have been getting destroyed on SFxT, but at least I never blame the controller!

quote:

I that's one of the things that's impressing me about DD. There are not a lot of games that I can think of that haven't felt the need to put their own spin on fantastic creatures. By being so traditional DD actually feels fresh. Combining that with kinetic looking combat and magic that looks really cool has really caught my attention.

Wow. I think that spell sums up the game perfectly. It's not like you haven't seen a tornado spell before...not really a new idea...but you've never seen it look so GOOD.

By the way, I don't actually remember if the harpies look any good in DD, that was just the monster that came up randomly in the conversation. Probably better to use the Chimera as a point of reference.

Still...

quote:
That's how masterful Capcom's designers are, they can say so much with so little.

It's unreal how many extraordinary artists Capcom had working for them. Well, I say "had" because they just hire some old favorites freelance now, but it's not like their design team is weak now, you just don't see their work as much. I would consider SF4 to be a fairly ugly game, but when you look at the illustrations and designs behind it, it's same old Capcom. That's why, even though SFxT is decidedly hideous, I'm excited about the artbook.

Monster Hunter also has a huge amount of fantastic traditional art behind it. I believe Udon released the big artbook that came out in Japan a few years back, but I hope they make another. I'd love to see the designs for Tri/3rd Portable.

Of course, I miss the days of "what you see on paper is what you see in the game", but I wonder if even "plain-looking" Dragon's Dogma has some fantastic illustrations behind it.

I feel lame saying "durr hurr, Capcom still has good art" after excited discussions about particular designs and source material and such, but hurr durr Capcom still has good art.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1446th Post

"XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Thu 5 Apr 09:54post reply

That Hori SCV stick looks lovely - the start button cover is so much goofier than a simple button lock switch, but it's really cool! Like the grab handles too!

Re: Way of the Samurai 4, I missed the part where it was a download-only release for the US. This trend has been going on for a while and I don't like it one bit. Warriors Orochi 3 is DL-only on PS3 in the US too. Both of these games are getting English disc releases in Europe, so that's what I'll be buying. Frustrating.

karasu99
889th Post

"Re(1):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Thu 5 Apr 10:51post reply

quote:
Re: Way of the Samurai 4, I missed the part where it was a download-only release for the US. This trend has been going on for a while and I don't like it one bit. Warriors Orochi 3 is DL-only on PS3 in the US too. Both of these games are getting English disc releases in Europe, so that's what I'll be buying. Frustrating.

I completely agree with you on this. Even though my PS3 has a pretty decent sized hard drive it still tends to get full, and I would just as soon not fill it up with full PS3 disc game installs like this. I guess I would rather get it like this than not at all though, but you're right, the European release is a good alternative.

www.secret-arts.com

Grave
1447th Post

"Re(2):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Thu 5 Apr 11:02post reply

quote:
I completely agree with you on this. Even though my PS3 has a pretty decent sized hard drive it still tends to get full, and I would just as soon not fill it up with full PS3 disc game installs like this. I guess I would rather get it like this than not at all though, but you're right, the European release is a good alternative.

There might be a silver lining - a neogaf poster said WotS4 is only 2.5GB, a size comparable to some PS3 game demos and PSN games. If that's the case, all XSEED has to do is price it right and I'm there! A far cry from the 11GB+ Warriors Orochi 3 demands. While I always prefer a disc release and require it when a game is 10+ GB, if WotS4 is so compact this is nowhere near as hard to swallow.

Of course, if it lands at $40-$50 it'll be a lot harder of a sell. Warriors Orochi 3 is $50 on PSN - I can preorder the Euro version for $60 with free shipping. Seems like an easy decision!

karasu99
890th Post

"Re(3):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Thu 5 Apr 11:22post reply

quote:
I can preorder the Euro version for $60 with free shipping. Seems like an easy decision!

Wha, where's that from? All I see it for everywhere is $70 plus shipping, which is just over the edge of being too pricey.

www.secret-arts.com

Gojira
2838th Post

"Re(1):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Fri 6 Apr 06:54post reply

quote:
That Hori SCV stick looks lovely - the start button cover is so much goofier than a simple button lock switch, but it's really cool! Like the grab handles too!

That would bother me, except every disc-based PS3 game ever made seems to require some kind of mandatory 1-4GB HDD install.

Grave
1448th Post

"Re(2):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Sun 8 Apr 11:52post reply

Played Dragon's Dogma today at PAX! Really enjoyed the demo and I'm heavily leaning toward preordering it despite how much I dislike giving Capcom money for new games. Thought the Kinect Steel Battalion demo showed a ton of potential for fun too, so... doing okay, Capcom. Just patch ORC and stop fucking would-be SFxTK fans over! thx

Highlight of PAX so far: got Suda 51 to sign my Killer 7 and Shadows of the Damned! Not usually into autographs but goddamn I love that guy's games.
quote:
That would bother me, except every disc-based PS3 game ever made seems to require some kind of mandatory 1-4GB HDD install.

That's part of the problem! Everything's after my space so 10GB installs don't help! Still, I've been hearing WotS4 is under 3GB - I'm good with that if the price is right. And karasu, I'll get that link for you when I'm home next.

Nekros
433th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Sun 8 Apr 18:26post reply

quote:

Speaking of how lame I am, I have been getting destroyed on SFxT, but at least I never blame the controller!

Speaking about being lame, same boat here. I'm playing with a usb Saturn pad and hdmi (If I remember correctly, it implies some input lag) and never got over 200-300 points (returned always 0 after losing consecutively). The problem is, that in some way the game is taken too seriously and players that don't have at least 2 hours a day with the game are getting raped instantly by total pros (or fags, depends on your view). It also has an abuse of infinites and shoto's priorities (as every Ono game), resulting in playing against the same 4-5 character, especially Ryu and Ken that is easy to find annoying. Add to this those crazy bugs and online experience with SfxT is not as amazing as it could have been. Can't wait the patches in middle april to screw the infinites.
In the meantime, I'll be glad to play the game with some of the cafers.
I would have been better in the game, but never have time to learn it. Also, the point system, requiring mandatory victory, isn't encouraging for the less competent players (it woudld have been better with an experience points systems based on the fightstyle or giving much less points if you lose).

sibarraz
391th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Mon 9 Apr 01:34post reply

quote:

Speaking about being lame, same boat here. I'm playing with a usb Saturn pad and hdmi (If I remember correctly, it implies some input lag) and never got over 200-300 points (returned always 0 after losing consecutively). The problem is, that in some way the game is taken too seriously and players that don't have at least 2 hours a day with the game are getting raped instantly by total pros (or fags, depends on your view). It also has an abuse of infinites and shoto's priorities (as every Ono game), resulting in playing against the same 4-5 character, especially Ryu and Ken that is easy to find annoying. Add to this those crazy bugs and online experience with SfxT is not as amazing as it could have been. Can't wait the patches in middle april to screw the infinites.
In the meantime, I'll be glad to play the game with some of the cafers.
I would have been better in the game, but never have time to learn it. Also, the point system, requiring mandatory victory, isn't encouraging for the less competent players (it woudld have been better with an experience points systems based on the fightstyle or giving much less points if you lose).

1) About DD, is like skyrim or not? I hadn't seen so much about it

2) About SxT, I had how a single normal could lead to a bigger combo, I know thas is like in every FG, but here is incredible easy to do and works with almost every normal, at least in other FG you had to learn strict timings and other things to do those things

Nekros
434th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Mon 9 Apr 20:07post reply

quote:

Yes and no. It has the same generic middle ages fantasy setting, that I found uncreative, lame and virtually identical to any D&D/Tolkien inspired fantasy, but ehy, it's marketable as hell. But I would not confuse the game with Skyrim because the battle system is completely different (more towards action and co-op combos, imagine the classic board-rpg battling team) and the visuals are slightly more vibrant and polished. Skyrim has some heavy customization aspects, but in a way totally different from DD, including more the acting of your character with the environments that the actual progression in the game.
Sorry for Karasu, but I stick with Warzard and NOT GENERIC monster design.

Professor
3441th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Mon 9 Apr 23:45post reply

quote:
Speaking about being lame, same boat here. I'm playing with a usb Saturn pad and hdmi (If I remember correctly, it implies some input lag) and never got over 200-300 points (returned always 0 after losing consecutively).

Since you're using a Saturn pad, I'm assuiming you're playing on the PS3. Why not team with someone online? It makes the experience a whole lot more fun, and less frustrating when losing too.

Humm, and the online patch is coming tomorrow. Wonder if that changed the netplay at all, because aside from sound, it's perfect right now.

sibarraz
392th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Tue 10 Apr 07:33post reply

quote:

Yes and no. It has the same generic middle ages fantasy setting, that I found uncreative, lame and virtually identical to any D&D/Tolkien inspired fantasy, but ehy, it's marketable as hell. But I would not confuse the game with Skyrim because the battle system is completely different (more towards action and co-op combos, imagine the classic board-rpg battling team) and the visuals are slightly more vibrant and polished. Skyrim has some heavy customization aspects, but in a way totally different from DD, including more the acting of your character with the environments that the actual progression in the game.
Sorry for Karasu, but I stick with Warzard and NOT GENERIC monster design.

Interesting, to be honest, I never found the Elder Scrolls Saga to be that interesting, I will see how the game progress

Nekros
435th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Tue 10 Apr 20:21post reply

quote:
Speaking about being lame, same boat here. I'm playing with a usb Saturn pad and hdmi (If I remember correctly, it implies some input lag) and never got over 200-300 points (returned always 0 after losing consecutively).

Since you're using a Saturn pad, I'm assuiming you're playing on the PS3. Why not team with someone online? It makes the experience a whole lot more fun, and less frustrating when losing too.

Humm, and the online patch is coming tomorrow. Wonder if that changed the netplay at all, because aside from sound, it's perfect right now.

You're right, with my poor time to spend at the game and my "lonely wolf" attitude I haven't considered to team up to improve my game skills (it's pretty new such a feature in FG).

As for the Elder Scrolls thing: I find Bethesda games heavily overrated. I played a lot of Fallout 3, finding it very interesting in environments, backgound and general ideas but poorly execued in terms of gameplay choices, graphics and filled with bugs and glitches in atrocious manner. Basically, a rpg series turned out to be a sort of fps/rts with statisics. Sure the story and character relations are totally up to you and your choices (you can even kill most of plot-relad characters), but in a way that is fixed to accomplish the story in same manner in the end. For what I've been told, The Elder Scroll games are pretty much the same (bugs included), with a fantasy world instead of a post-atomic one. They're games with a lot of work and ideas, but not as pleasant to play as they are on paper.

Gieflos
78th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Wed 11 Apr 06:36post reply

Why haven't we seen a Ryu/Ken v M.Bison combo video for SFxT using this yet?!

Pollyanna
3221th Post

"Re(3):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Wed 11 Apr 07:33post reply

quote:
While I always prefer a disc release and require it when a game is 10+ GB, if WotS4 is so compact this is nowhere near as hard to swallow.

With as many games as you play, you should really invest in a new hard drive. When my PS3 died and I got a new one, I got the model with the biggest HD out there. The huge amount of DLC and DL titles have made having an older model PS3 or 360 kind of debilitating. Still...yeah...10+ gig downloads are kind of crazy. I don't know how much a company saves by not making a physical copy, but it seems like a download that size would discourage a lot of people from biting.

quote:
It also has an abuse of infinites and shoto's priorities (as every Ono game), resulting in playing against the same 4-5 character, especially Ryu and Ken that is easy to find annoying. Add to this those crazy bugs and online experience with SfxT is not as amazing as it could have been. Can't wait the patches in middle april to screw the infinites.

I've made it to 800 BP or so a few times, but I've been hit by the glitch that reduces you to zero SIX TIMES NOW. I just want to get to C rank. After that, no more Ranked Mode!

I'm usually a high-risk/high-reward sort of player, but this game seems to discourage that. In Ranked, many players will take no risks whatsoever, even if that means walking into the corner and not attacking for the entire match. I've seen people try to run the clock down at 40 seconds. On the upside, it's given me a firm foundation of what is and isn't safe. This makes the game especially frustrating in a lag environment, as one little network hiccup can result in really heavy punishment. Also, the new patch seems to cause a bit of input lag here and there?

I feel like the "entry level" on this game is actually pretty low compared to other Capcom games (or Arc Sys ones), where the gap between a relative rookie and an experienced player is impassible. I haven't had to spend hours in training mode, which is a big plus.

I like the game well enough, but Ryu really is ridiculous. Rolento is also quite bad in a lag environment, though he doesn't hold up as well against really skilled players.

quote:

Memories! I probably watched that final battle scene 200 times when I was a kid. I used to listen to the song while playing the Dramatic Battle mode in SFZ too.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
2331th Post

"Re(4):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Wed 11 Apr 07:42post reply

quote:
Memories! I probably watched that final battle scene 200 times when I was a kid. I used to listen to the song while playing the Dramatic Battle mode in SFZ too.
Fact: we used to play almost exclusively in the Field in a Thunderstorm, Australia stage in Zero 2, and I've never even watched the whole animation! If it weren't so hard to see footwork, we would never leave.

karasu99
894th Post

"Re(5):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Wed 11 Apr 09:45post reply

quote:

quote:
Fact: we used to play almost exclusively in the Field in a Thunderstorm, Australia stage in Zero 2, and I've never even watched the whole animation! If it weren't so hard to see footwork, we would never leave.

Arghhhh, this brought back some crazy memories for me as well! The Alpha/Zero series was a great one.

www.secret-arts.com

Loona
548th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Wed 11 Apr 22:14post reply

The Capcom/Namco/Sega crossover game now has a name and some revealed cast, apparently all team-based.

Strangely, Sanger from the SRW games isn't tied up to any partner - I guesss his gigantic sword will have to do? - even if the game isn't shying away from odd pairing like Dante and Demitri.

If one of the speculated characters is indeed Devilotte de Deathsatan IX, I can't wait to see who they pair her with, does Capcom even have a character name that can match that one?
Actually, if Devilotte's in and so is Sanger, I hope he's paired with Lune Zoldark and her Valsione, the thought of an octopuss-shaped mech attacking a doll-shaped for some weird giant mechanical tentacle attack must have crossed somebody's mind at some point.

Ishmael
4359th Post

"Re(8):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Wed 11 Apr 22:44post reply

Has anyone tried Skullgirls yet? Any thoughts?

Between the amusing distraction of ME3's mutiplayer and the unexpected news of Lost Planet 3 has made me think about the brilliant mess that was Lost Planet 2. While teaming up with others in ME3 is fun I find myself wishing I could make my character wear a funny hat or jump for joy after making it through a particularly difficult round. More games need to have the option of selectable dance moves.

quote:

That's my favorite music for punching people in the head.

Grave
1449th Post

"Re(9):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Thu 12 Apr 01:16post reply

quote:

Too early for me to say what I think of it as a fighting game but I played a couple hours or so last night and I did have a lot of fun! The characters are overflowing with personality and the presentation of the game is fantastic. Very, very interested to see how a tag game with a ratio system works once I'm more familiar with how the game works because it's a very cool idea!

I know they have a pretty long "to-do" list of features, including lobbies and an ingame move list, but right now what they're offering for $15 is a steal. A ton of work and a ton of love went into this game and I'm glad it's here. I'm off today so I expect to play a few more hours and get to know it better!
quote:
Between the amusing distraction of ME3's mutiplayer and the unexpected news of Lost Planet 3 has made me think about the brilliant mess that was Lost Planet 2. While teaming up with others in ME3 is fun I find myself wishing I could make my character wear a funny hat or jump for joy after making it through a particularly difficult round. More games need to have the option of selectable dance moves.

The LP3 news was crushing to me. When I was playing Operation Raccoon City, all I could think was "Ugh! Why couldn't they do this like LP2? Why didn't they give this to the LP2 team?!" And of course, a few weeks later, they announce LP3... and they didn't give it to the LP2 team. I guess Capcom decided that since working with Slant Six went over so well, they should outsource another potentially amazing game idea to a bottom-rung developer that cranks out dogshit. Cool.

What I wasn't aware of until this announcement, though, is how much some LP1 fans despise LP2. LP2 was my jumping-on point, and good god that game did so many things right. It's easily one of my favorite if not my #1 favorite game of the generation. But it seems like it was an accident, and not one likely to be repeated. Even if LP3 does turn out to be good somehow, the focus has been shifted. This isn't an experience centered around co-op, so I'm probably not going to care.

Maybe they'll fix Operation Raccoon City and that can be my new LP2... no, probably not. Oh well. I guess LP2 will have to be my new LP2. Gotta work my way back up to extreme difficulty!

While we're on the subject of third person shooters, Binary Domain is a lot of fun and is surprisingly pretty un-generic when you get into it! And the voice commands? The voice commands are great fun, until it hears an in-game explosion over your headset, mistakes it for the word "shoot" and then your team charges into fire. Maybe I need to stop sounding so damn much like an explosion. No, this will never happen. I just unplugged my headset.

Nekros
437th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Thu 12 Apr 01:22post reply

quote:
I just want to get to C rank. After that, no more Ranked Mode!

I see what you did there :*

Nekros
438th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Remarkably Default Dragon's Dogma" , posted Thu 12 Apr 01:35post reply

quote:

Just came back after playing the demo. Not bad, but not as stunning as some players described.
Sure, the game has personality. And colors. Two thing that I can appreciate A LOT, in every game (and where this generation lacks in a irritating manner). Yamane work is also great.
The gameplay didn't convinced me. It's a bad breed of Marvel raping Guilty Gear but with choppy animations and a sort of Darkstalkerish control mapping. Weird, and not so enjoyable, in my opinion. Also, can't dig the characters completely, I'm not a fan of manga-wannabe design and the only character I find ok was that mess called Saya...err, Double. Not a bad effort, but speaking of doujin fighters I'll stick with Melty Blood, thank you very much :P

@Ishmael: ME3 multiplayer. Is so much fun? How is compared to modern day shooters? Is like Gears Of War/Halo etc. or a complete different game? I'm curious but usally don't give a damn about ANY multi in a game normally conceived for single player. Never touched the multiplayer in Assassin's Creed, for example.

@ Grave: Binary Domain is sci-fi. Specifically cyberpunk. Nothing can go wrong, is an instant win over that dudebro-mass-shooters that infect the market nowadays.

Nekros
442th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Thu 12 Apr 01:41:post reply

quote:
The Capcom/Namco/Sega crossover game now has a name and some revealed cast, apparently all team-based

Will this leave the Japan? To me is NamcoXCapcom 2.

EDITED WITH BETTER SCANS

httpww.deculture.es/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Project-X-Zone-Scan-05.jpg
httpww.deculture.es/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Project-X-Zone-Scan-04.jpg
httpintendoeverything.com/wp-content/gallery/project-x-zone_1/project_x_zone_sc-2-1.jpg
http.minus.com/ir7QQMFA44Jvo.jpg
httpltimate-re.com/images/famitsu_pxz_scan.jpg

[this message was edited by Nekros on Thu 12 Apr 01:53]

Gojira
2839th Post

"Re(8):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Thu 12 Apr 02:51post reply

Hm, the PxZ art isn't even close to the amazing art of NxC, and I have a feeling Yuzo Koshiro isn't doing the soundtrack but fuck it, I want and give plz.

Yet of all things, it had to be a region-locked 3DS import. /FML

My hope is that all three of these companies are more internationalized than they were back then so maybe, just maybe, this could be on track for a US release without the hitches that blocked NxC from coming out.

Gieflos
79th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymore" , posted Thu 12 Apr 03:56post reply

quote:
Hm, the PxZ art isn't even close to the amazing art of NxC, and I have a feeling Yuzo Koshiro isn't doing the soundtrack but fuck it, I want and give plz.

This is most definitely the next project from the Mugen no Frontier team so I'm sure you are right on both accounts. I really hope this makes over to the US. I'd love to team up Dante/Ulala/Sanger Zonvolt!

Nekros
442th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best friends anymor" , posted Thu 12 Apr 04:05post reply

quote:

This is most definitely the next project from the Mugen no Frontier team so I'm sure you are right on both accounts. I really hope this makes over to the US. I'd love to team up Dante/Ulala/Sanger Zonvolt!

A little hope to me is due to the fact tha Neptunia series got localized. And crossovering Sega with IF-GUST-NIS is more niche than Capcom and Namco. Characters chosen aren't popular as they're in Japan, sadly.

Pollyanna
3222th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best friends " , posted Thu 12 Apr 06:50post reply

quote:
Too early for me to say what I think of it as a fighting game but I played a couple hours or so last night and I did have a lot of fun! The characters are overflowing with personality and the presentation of the game is fantastic.

Thank you. Now I don't have to type anything about Skullgirls...you did it for me. I'll add that it was worth the admission price just to see all the animations. The my opinion on the actual game is still pending.

And again...
quote:
The LP3 news was crushing to me.

Also
quote:

Yet of all things, it had to be a region-locked 3DS import. /FML

Nintendo is trying to get me to buy their system twice when I'm still iffy on once. This is going to give me ulcers.

Did you play NxC? I don't remember. The battle system was great, but the battle layouts were poor, as was the writing. Still, it was good enough that I'm on board for the new one.

Added note...
Tales of Innocence R is really good if you really want an RPG on Vita. The battle system isn't quite on the level of recent Tales games, but the story and characters are charming enough and the soundtrack is unusually good for the series (although nothing will ever touch Legendia). It's not like "go buy a Vita right now" good, but it's nice for RPG fans.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Gojira
2841th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best friends" , posted Thu 12 Apr 07:45post reply

quote:

Did you play NxC? I don't remember. The battle system was great, but the battle layouts were poor, as was the writing. Still, it was good enough that I'm on board for the new one.

Oh yeah, I played NxC. Loved the character design artwork, the music and the silly juggle gameplay. Though without those first two in PxZ I suppose I'm only banking on the gameplay being enjoyable and that's about it.

The story I have no expectations for, since I've come to notice things like this tend to have awful stories anyway. I still haven't finished Cross Edge because it was just so offensively terrible (though that was in more ways than just a bad story).

Loona
550th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best friends" , posted Thu 12 Apr 17:39post reply

quote:

The story I have no expectations for, since I've come to notice things like this tend to have awful stories anyway. I still haven't finished Cross Edge because it was just so offensively terrible (though that was in more ways than just a bad story).

I'm on the same boat regarding Cross Edge, though I disagree when it comes to the actual battle system - I found that fluid and fun, it's just that game's macro structure (grinding for new moves, gear, having to search the whole map for plot cupons with nonsensical names, some of them kinda secret but required for the best ending that require backtracking, etc...) and a lot of the dialogue didn't help, but at least the plot seemed to fit Jedah's VS plot like a glove at point I stopped it to focus on KoF XIII.
That being said, that game's crossover factor was even more niche than NxC and it made its way here.

Professor
3447th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best friends" , posted Thu 12 Apr 21:53post reply

Official news up for Project X Zone (Project Cross Zone).
http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/04/12/55860.html

This game for the Nintendo 3DS handheld is a collab project between Sega, Capcom, and NamcoBandai Games. As you can obviously see, it's a strategy RPG. The game will be published by NamcoBandai. Slated for release during 2012.

Also, Fixing the URLs posted by Nekros:

http://www.deculture.es/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Project-X-Zone-Scan-05.jpg
http://ww.deculture.es/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Project-X-Zone-Scan-04.jpg
http://www.nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/gallery/project-x-zone_1/project_x_zone_sc-2-1.jpg
http://minus.com/ir7QQMFA44Jvo.jpg

http://ultimate-re.com/images/famitsu_pxz_scan.jpg

Ishmael
4362th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best friends" , posted Thu 12 Apr 22:42post reply

One Piece coming to PSN. When the hell did this become the trendy new way of distributing games?

Skullgirls. Having the noodly option to customize your assist move but not having something as basic as an in-game moves list is Skullgirls in a nutshell. Some of the choices in this initial release of Skullgirls struck me as being odd. For example, the roster seems very paltry for a 3v3 game and the game's fetishisation of dismemberment is disturbing. Still, there's a lot of fun, colorful animation on display and the game feels far more responsive than I had expected. So for now I'm enjoying this glorified beta and am looking forward to the announcement of when the full Skullgirls game will be released.

quote:
@Ishmael: ME3 multiplayer. Is so much fun? How is compared to modern day shooters? Is like Gears Of War/Halo etc. or a complete different game? I'm curious but usally don't give a damn about ANY multi in a game normally conceived for single player. Never touched the multiplayer in Assassin's Creed, for example.

It's not bad but I doubt the mutiplayer in ME3 isn't going to be the thing that pushes you over into enjoying this sort of addition. If the multiplayer had been some sort of FPS capture the flag sort of nonsense I never would have touched it. But a third person, team based game where I get to play as a turian who throw psychic tennis balls at cpu grunts amuses me. So while I find the ME3 multiplayer to be a fun distraction I think it can also easily be ignored with no loss to the overall game experience.

One thing that multiplayer did was distract me from the main game to the point that I just now completed the storyline. That ending was... well, that was an ending.

Nekros
443th Post

Gold Customer

"Re:Bioware and I aren't best friends" , posted Thu 12 Apr 23:01post reply

Which ending you choose? Did you liked it?
I find EVERY ending to be disappointing, not as writing (it's poor and come out of nowhere without any real climax to climb on) but how's related with your actions in the story of three games.
I sorta liked the concept of the ending I got, but the execution was terrible.

Mosquiton
1812th Post

"Re(1):Re:Bioware and I aren't best friends" , posted Fri 13 Apr 13:38:post reply

quote:
Which ending you choose? Did you liked it?
I find EVERY ending to be disappointing, not as writing (it's poor and come out of nowhere without any real climax to climb on) but how's related with your actions in the story of three games.
I sorta liked the concept of the ending I got, but the execution was terrible.

Totally leaving aside any controversies, conspiracy theories, and anything else, I think it's tough to argue they didn't kind of fuck things up.

The one thing I have to say about it is that to me the endings of ME1 and ME2 only became real to me when I carried them into the following game and made the choice to accept the results and build on that foundation.

After watching one ending and feeling quite unsatisfied, I played through the final sequence again to see the other two. But which ending did I really choose? What really happened in my game, to my Shepard? The obvious answer is none of it. There's no real follow through (at this point), just three hypothetical scenarios leading nowhere. Each has about as much gravity and weight of a one-page Marvel "What if?" comic.

After the epilogue you're actually encouraged to invalidate your choices by going back in time to where none of it ever happened in order to "continue building your legend by downloading DLC". Who wrote that shit? It's kind of insulting.

I almost hesitate to call it an ending at all. Game is still great in an objective, consumer product sense, though. I'm actually being completely serious... although who can be totally objective about something they really care about?

UPDATE! As a bonus I think I'll write those What if? Comics. Special! Three different versions of the conclusion to Spider-Man's career!

WHAT IF Peter Parker were to hang-up the Spider-Man suit for good and retire to Cuba?

COMIC 1 - RED EDITION

Panel 1: Spidey hangs his costume up in the closet. "Well, that's that."
Panel 2: Peter's plane leaves as Mary Jane cries and blow dries her hair in the bathtub.
Panel 3: Spiderman eats a strawberry ice cream cone.

COMIC 2 - BLUE EDITION

Same as above, but the ice cream in the last panel is Blue Raspberry. Hey, that flavor was big in the 90's!

Comic 3 - GREEN EDITION

Same as Comic 1, but the ice cream in the last panel is mint chocolate chip flavor. The chips and the mint have fucking COMBINED to create the ULTIMATE ICE CREAM FLAVOR! WHOA!

BONUS FOR ALL VERSIONS! If you gently rub the back cover gently for an eraser for an hour or so, you'll reveal a picture of Mary Jane wearing a bathrobe and toweling off her hair. Phew! She's alright after all!

End of Spoiler

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Fri 13 Apr 14:22]

Ishmael
4364th Post

"Re(2):Re:Bioware and I aren't best friends" , posted Fri 13 Apr 23:31post reply

I ended up choosing the green ending for no other reason than it was the ending that made the least amount of sense. Since everything else in the ending segment was illogical I figured I might as well go all the way with it.

While I had heard about the brouhaha surrounding the ending in ME3 I didn't read up on any details so I went into the final sequence without knowing what to expect other than eventual disappointment. Incredibly, the ending actually lived up to the anti-hype. I won't write up the details of everything I thought was wrong with that ending since there's already reams of online discussion on those problems already. Still, I will say I found it disappointing that I was forced into choosing one of three absurd scenarios, none of which felt like anything my Shepard would have done during her lengthy career.

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed a lot of ME3 and had fun with most all of the game. I just wish it didn't turn into Omega Man or something at the last moment.

karasu99
896th Post

"Re(3):Re:Sort of game related" , posted Sat 14 Apr 00:02post reply

I thought these were pretty nice looking, especially given how the equivalent product in the US would look, if Capcom partnered instead with WWE or whatever it's called these days. Too bad they'll be impossible to find outside of Japan!

www.secret-arts.com

mbisonhatclub
485th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re:Bioware and I aren't best friends" , posted Sat 14 Apr 00:22post reply

quote:
WHAT IF Peter Parker were to hang-up the Spider-Man suit for good and retire to Cuba?
WHAT IF...

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Toxico
5610th Post

"Nippon Ichi!!" , posted Sat 14 Apr 12:37post reply

Well, not the victory line. At least it doesn't look like a loli stripping game.... for now......

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

GekigangerV
1746th Post

PSN: gekijmo

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Random History/SamSho" , posted Sat 14 Apr 13:53post reply

Well I learned that ‎400 years ago from yesterday was the supposed battle between Miyamoto Musashi(Haohmaru) and Sasaki Kojiro(Ukyo) where Miyamoto won with a wooden sword made from an oar. I guess some historians said that the battle never took place though.

Nekros
446th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Nippon Ichi!!" , posted Sat 14 Apr 18:46post reply

quote:
Well, not the victory line. At least it doesn't look like a loli stripping game.... for now......

That girl design is fairly disgusting, knowing that Noizi Ito is involved it will turn into a moefest for sure. I give hope in Nippon Ichi many years ago, with the moe trend most of Japanese developers suffered a monstrous letdown in character design (including Cave, one of my favourites).

Ishmael
4365th Post

"Re(1):Random History/SamSho" , posted Sat 14 Apr 23:32post reply

quote:
Well I learned that ‎400 years ago from yesterday was the supposed battle between Miyamoto Musashi(Haohmaru) and Sasaki Kojiro(Ukyo) where Miyamoto won with a wooden sword made from an oar. I guess some historians said that the battle never took place though.

Separating the historical Musashi from the fiction and tall tales surrounding his life is probably a very hard trick at this point. But whether it really happened or not, I like the idea that the most famous duel in Japan was won because the victor showed up late and beat the other guy to death with an oar. It puts the overly romantic notion of samurai in it's proper place.

Baines
313th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Random History/SamSho" , posted Sun 15 Apr 01:59post reply

quote:
Separating the historical Musashi from the fiction and tall tales surrounding his life is probably a very hard trick at this point. But whether it really happened or not, I like the idea that the most famous duel in Japan was won because the victor showed up late and beat the other guy to death with an oar. It puts the overly romantic notion of samurai in it's proper place.

Don't forget the extra argument that Musashi had an unfair advantage because the sword made from the oar was longer than a regular sword...

If it happened at all, that is.

I remember the SamSho games had a lot of references in them, at least the early games did.

karasu99
898th Post

"Re(2):Random History/SamSho" , posted Sun 15 Apr 02:16post reply

quote:
I like the idea that the most famous duel in Japan was won because the victor showed up late and beat the other guy to death with an oar.

This has got a great ring to it! Do I recall correctly that it was allegedly just a single blow from the oar that won the match?

This is all an interesting coincidence since I was playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma last night with the 'Unlabored Flawlessness'.

www.secret-arts.com

Ishmael
4367th Post

"Re(3):Random History/SamSho" , posted Wed 18 Apr 04:43post reply

In a follow-up to a previous post of mine, it sounds like One Piece is getting both a digital and disc release in the US. That's good news since it saves me the trouble of importing the European version.

I get the feeling that since they figure nobody in Japan is going to buy Starhawk the advertising department at Sony does not care.

Baines
314th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Random History/SamSho" , posted Wed 18 Apr 13:20post reply

quote:
This has got a great ring to it! Do I recall correctly that it was allegedly just a single blow from the oar that won the match?

There are different versions of the story, ranging from an actual duel (that Kojiro might even have been winning) to Musashi winning immediately.

Accounts are contradictory. Did Musashi assassinate Kojiro, did he cheat, or was it a fair fight? Was it a one hit blow aided by Musashi's wooden sword being about 5-10 inches longer, or did Musashi land a killing blow when Kojiro was blinded by the sun? Did Musashi taunts drive Kojiro into a blind rage, or did Kojiro shrug off Musashi's mental tactics.

Some of the accounts come from sources that have other contradictions or mistakes, which raises the question of the duel's accuracy as well. (Things like people's ages being questionable, or teachers or students not working out when you do the math.)

Amakusa
913th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best friends" , posted Fri 20 Apr 08:34post reply

quote:
One Piece coming to PSN. When the hell did this become the trendy new way of distributing games?

If Sony USA still has a policy that all retail games must have an English language track (or something) the game might not even be dubbed (as was the case with Warriors Orochi 3). If that's the case then perhaps the trend is that English dubbing is just too expensive.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Ishmael
4370th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best friends" , posted Fri 20 Apr 21:49post reply

quote:
If Sony USA still has a policy that all retail games must have an English language track (or something) the game might not even be dubbed (as was the case with Warriors Orochi 3). If that's the case then perhaps the trend is that English dubbing is just too expensive.

This brings to mind a lot of pointless, rhetorical questions. Do the Yakuza games with their Japanese only language tracks fall into the "or something" category? Do Sony and the other console makers have hard and fast rules for what must be in a game posted somewhere? Or is it on a case by case basis, meaning that games can be rejected for arbitrary reasons? When one game makes it and another doesn't is there an explanation given or is it more of a "not tonight dear, I have a headache" brush-off? Questions, questions.

Baines
315th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best friends" , posted Sat 21 Apr 01:29post reply

quote:
This brings to mind a lot of pointless, rhetorical questions. Do the Yakuza games with their Japanese only language tracks fall into the "or something" category? Do Sony and the other console makers have hard and fast rules for what must be in a game posted somewhere? Or is it on a case by case basis, meaning that games can be rejected for arbitrary reasons? When one game makes it and another doesn't is there an explanation given or is it more of a "not tonight dear, I have a headache" brush-off? Questions, questions.

Speaking as a watcher of games, with no inside track, I believe the answer is "case by case basis, meaning that games can be rejected for arbitrary reasons".

Various comments over the years imply that each system has shown preferential treatment for certain partners, relaxing restrictions that are applied to other games. There have also been a few implications/accusations of overly negative treatment to disfavored partners, but those might be "disgruntled employee" situations.

And even "friendly" developers can seemingly randomly fall afoul of some hidden bureaucracy, or some pitfall that another developer appears to sail through without difficulty.

From my own personal belief, with no evidence to back it up, I think Sony believes keeping Sega happy is more important than keeping Koei happy, so Sega gets a pass while Koei doesn't. Of course, it could also be that whoever is giving approval for Sega titles is more willing to bend the rules than the person who was in charge of Koei. Or it could be that Sony saw the fan blowups in the past over Yakuza games, and decided its niche audience appeal warranted an exception, but sees the Warriors franchises as more casual mass market audience (and doesn't want to encourage Koei to take price-saving shortcuts). Or maybe it is that Yakuza is a system exclusive, while Warriors games aren't.

Grave
1453th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best friends" , posted Sat 21 Apr 01:32post reply

quote:
From my own personal belief, with no evidence to back it up, I think Sony believes keeping Sega happy is more important than keeping Koei happy, so Sega gets a pass while Koei doesn't.

Maybe so! But with Pirate Warriors, which is indeed a PS3 exclusive, they're making Tecmo Koei Namco Bandai angry! Could they possibly afford so many names angry at them?! Hey, how do we get Square Enix in on this?

Maou
2338th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best f" , posted Sat 21 Apr 01:57post reply

The requirements for English-language dubbing wouldn't be so bizarre if A) it didn't cost more money and B) American voice acting wasn't so incredibly terrible. What a strange regulation to enforce, even if haphhazardly. Reminds me of early efforts to scrub any traces of "Japanese-ness" from games, television, etc.
quote:
Tecmo Koei Namco Bandai Square Enix
At the rate they're going, your grave (ha!) dream of Tec-kou-namu-ban-squeni will soon be a reality! 

karasu99
909th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best f" , posted Sat 21 Apr 02:23:post reply

quote:
The requirements for English-language dubbing wouldn't be so bizarre if A) it didn't cost more money and B) American voice acting wasn't so incredibly terrible. What a strange regulation to enforce, even if haphhazardly. Reminds me of early efforts to scrub any traces of "Japanese-ness" from games, television, etc.

I also find it strange that I'm seeing a lot of fallout about Warriors Orochi on PSN NOT having an English dub. Maybe I'm just developing into the 'in my day' style of codger, but there was a time when English dubs in Japanese games were particularly reviled. I adjust almost everything to the JP language track if available, as I assumed most Japanese game aficionados did.

In other news, MvC2 is coming to iOS. Also, the recent rumors of Dragon's Crown being cancelled that I found too heartbreaking to mention here have been answered by the announcement that the publishing rights have been taken over by Atlus. Even though a US release seemed imminent, I'm breathing a little easier to hear that the 'release everything in the US' publisher is handling things. And finally, the kind of add-in this game franchise has been building up to for the last decade .

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Sat 21 Apr 02:30]

Grave
1454th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best f" , posted Sat 21 Apr 02:25post reply

quote:
The requirements for English-language dubbing wouldn't be so bizarre if A) it didn't cost more money and B) American voice acting wasn't so incredibly terrible.

Maybe I'm crazy, or maybe I'm just getting old and no longer put much stock in listening to something I don't understand for "authenticity", but I feel like B just isn't true anymore.

Granted, I'm sure I'd know more about this if I played more RPGs, but from my experiences over the past years I've enjoyed a lot of English voice tracks! I rather liked Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire some time back, Persona 3 and 4 were fantastic, I thought, and if they don't get the actors back for P4A I'm gonna be bummed. Since I don't even know what the majority of Gundam characters are supposed to sound like in English, I played DW Gundam 3 in English as well. Outside of Domon and Kamille it was pretty good! Liked Nier, liked Asura's Wrath... only hit and miss thing I've played recently was Atelier Totori, in which I was forced to keep it in English because Totori herself was so endearingly voiced and I just couldn't listen to the Japanese version after it!

Oh, well, I guess the exception was Hokuto Musou, where I went straight to Japanese. I don't think I have to explain this.

I think it's been steadily improving as the years go by. When I'm at home, I always tinker with the SF4 voices, keeping most in Japanese cuz it's more familiar-sounding for a fighting game but there are a lot I like in English. When I play the 3DS version I barely even notice that it's all English. Guess we've come a long way from "DRRRAAGON! HURRICANE!"

Maou
2340th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best f" , posted Sat 21 Apr 02:41:post reply

quote:
Granted, I'm sure I'd know more about this if I played more RPGs, but from my experiences over the past years I've enjoyed a lot of English voice tracks!
Even though I wrote that as someone who speaks both (many folks incorrectly assume that what they can't understand is better, but it just happened to be true for many years!), you're right, I'm probably just being mean.

I imagine that certain genres like RPG's probably fared better than others, too, in recent years---I guess Americans finally realized that the only people playing RPG's were people who liked stories, stories which stand to be impacted by bad acting. Then again, I am still literally embarrassed to be in the same room as someone playing a fighter like SF IV in English.

In conclusion, the entire Godhand cast should still get a gold medal. "I love it."

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 21 Apr 02:42]

Grave
1455th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best f" , posted Sat 21 Apr 02:55post reply

quote:
Even though I wrote that as someone who speaks both (many folks incorrectly assume that what they can't understand is better, but it just happened to be true for many years!), you're right, I'm probably just being mean.

Ha! I had a feeling that it wasn't quite true for years, but I think it took until the PS2 version of Ys VI for me to play a game where switching the language still led me down a path of horrible nightmares. The PSP and PC versions are so much more pleasant without the mandatory "listen to people sleepwalk through pages of dialogue in every language" part!

Pollyanna
3225th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best f" , posted Sat 21 Apr 06:56post reply

In my opinion, English dubs usually get about half the cast right and royally screw up the other half. I can't think of an English dub in recent memory where SOMEBODY didn't suck. Though to be fair, I rarely play a Japanese game where I like every single voice. A big complaint with me and English dubs (of Japanese games) is the very shallow pool they draw their actors from. You get more variety in big name releases, but otherwise, it's usually the same 9 or 10 names. I am admittedly biased, since I work in Texas, but I wish more companies would outsource to Houston or Dallas. It would make for more variety and save money as well. Plenty of the California names started out here, anyway.

For the record, anime dubbing pays about $50 an hour and game dubbing $200. That's for the actors. The directors and sound technicians are added onto that, though they get more of a "regular job" kind of rate. If you have a game with a huge amount of dubbing like Persona, you can imagine how much that adds up. As a result, there is a tremendous value in getting things right in one take. That's why they use the same actors (because they know they can do it) and a lot of lines have a "good enough" feel to them. Maybe it's just that I have a trained ear for this sort of thing, but I often feel like "this is okay, one more take would've done them some good" when I'm hearing an English dub.

I could go on and on about this, but on the subject of One Piece, I recorded with Funimation not long ago, and there wasn't word of dubbing it yet. That might have changed in the past week even, but usually they dub things WAY ahead of time. I sort of hope they don't dub it, because they would have to cast characters way ahead of their anime dub appearance and stick with them later, even if it doesn't work out. Toei has to approve all the main characters in One Piece, so the studio will send them a "best 4" from auditions, and Toei will choose the one they like best. This can turn into a pain if the actor moves away, then Funimation has to pay to fly them in repeatedly.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
910th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best f" , posted Sat 21 Apr 09:02:post reply

quote:
In my opinion, English dubs usually get about half the cast right and royally screw up the other half.

Thanks for posting about this subject, since I know from many of your previous posts that you have a particularly good insight into the discussion. It's also really interesting to hear about the process of getting English voice actors! I feel pretty much the same way-- I understand that risk plays a big part in a localization of a Japanese game, but... yeah, I've been recognizing a lot of the same voices across the English versions of both games and anime, and it's discouraging, since I know there's got to be a ton of talent out there (plus some of the stand-bys are genuinely awful). There have been some great anime series dubbed into English over the years where I actually prefer the English version to the Japanese. But you're right, there's always somebody that sours the lot of it.

My perception as far as games are concerned is that the quality of dubs now is infinitely better than the first generation of PS1 RPGs to be localized, for example. Even something as potentially horrendous as a Dynasty Warriors game has a much better dub than back in DW3, for example. Friends of mine and I still joke about the terrible voiced, constantly repeated generic officer comment on their defeat: "WASN'T MEANT TO BE", delivered nice and deadpan.

PS: Polly, thank you also for suggesting Tales of Innocence R a little while back! I'm not too far in, but I've been loving it!

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Sat 21 Apr 09:06]

Pollyanna
3226th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best f" , posted Sat 21 Apr 10:36post reply

I bitch about dubs a lot because I have my head so far up their butt, but yeah, they're dramatically better than before and pretty much totally listenable these days...even though I'll still import games just to have the Japanese track.

quote:

PS: Polly, thank you also for suggesting Tales of Innocence R a little while back! I'm not too far in, but I've been loving it.

I'm so glad! I'm about 30 hours in, myself and it hasn't soured for me. The battle system gets much better as you move along! I'm not nuts about the hiougi (super) system, but I wonder if there's eventually a skill like in Graces that gives you a free hiougi if your combo exceeds 25 hits. That was reallllly fun.

But they went totally nuts with combos in this one. You probably haven't unlocked most of these skills yet, but they have things that let you cancel anything into anything, then "repeat" which lets you combo moves into themselves. Then you get dash cancels which let you well...dash cancel, so you can keep combos going after a knockdown or knockback. At this point, it's easy for me to get 40+ combos even without any help from the rest of the party. SUPER FUN!

It's also cool how many characters are usable, which seems to be a new trend in Tales games. Luka, Spada, Hermana and QQ are all equally great to use, and if you stretch it a bit, even Ange and Illia are somewhat useable. I don't think you can have a huge amount of fun with Ricardo or Conway (Kongwai?) but even they're not bad for their character type. They used to have a system where you could speed up/power up spells by doing a sequence of buttons (like a music game) while you were casting. I'd like to see that return to make the mage characters more fun, but having 4 combo happy fighters to use is more than enough.

They kind of went overboard with the skits, though. They seem to have something for me every time I stay in an inn (I had to do it 10 times in a row to "catch up") and some of the "hidden" skits are completely nuts. For example, I had someone make vanilla icecream while I was in a snow area and I got a skit where the characters were saying "It's so cold! Whose idea was this!?" Also, some of the flashbacks carry on unnecessarily long (Asura and especially Durandal's VAs kind of suck), though I can't really complain about too much content when I have the option to skip it.

I don't get to talk to people about Tales games very often, so excuse the rambling.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
772th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best f" , posted Sat 21 Apr 16:26post reply

I am spending way too much time with customization in Xenoblade.

Speaking of customization, Fire Emblem Awakening is slowly creeping its way on my radar as of late.

karasu99
910th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best " , posted Sat 21 Apr 23:51post reply

quote:
Speaking of customization, Fire Emblem Awakening is slowly creeping its way on my radar as of late.

The Japanese cover art for it is gorgeous! Too bad the US version will probably have the usual RPG standby of 'a bunch of people standing around, looking into the distance'.

www.secret-arts.com

Baines
316th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best f" , posted Sun 22 Apr 01:13post reply

quote:
In my opinion, English dubs usually get about half the cast right and royally screw up the other half. I can't think of an English dub in recent memory where SOMEBODY didn't suck. Though to be fair, I rarely play a Japanese game where I like every single voice.

I recall one of the Soul Calibur games hit a phenomena where have the English dub was pretty bad, but half the Japanese dub was also weak in comparison. I can't remember which one it was, but it was one of the most memorable cases where people were countering the standard claim that "English voices are terrible, Japanese voices are all awesome". (It was probably one that I owned, because I remember at least one where I wanted the ability to mix voice track options.)

As for the Warriors games, I do understand why people would want them dubbed. The games tend to have a lot of speech during combat. A lot of it isn't important, but some of it is. And subs during battle aren't entirely practical. Even if developers were to put them in, there would be people who wouldn't be able to fight and read them at the same time. (My brother doesn't even like to watch subbed action movies, because he has to choose between watching the action and reading the subs. He just doesn't have the talent for reading fast, or for split-attention reading.)

sfried
773th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't" , posted Sun 22 Apr 08:22post reply

quote:

The Japanese cover art for it is gorgeous! Too bad the US version will probably have the usual RPG standby of 'a bunch of people standing around, looking into the distance'.

It will have ANGRY people posing with weapons drawn looking into the di...
Wait, the original already looks pretty angry enough. So I guess it will stay.

Grave
1457th Post

"Kid Icarus more like KID RIDICULOUS" , posted Sun 22 Apr 11:38:post reply

I dunno if I mentioned that I got it, but yeah. sfried was right about everything. Easily the best game on 3DS and the best Nintendo game I've played in years. It's absolutely overflowing with stuff to do and see and it's overflowing with taste and style and ridiculously high production values. You'll smile! You'll laugh! You'll give yourself a heartattack while wagering massive heaps of hearts!

If you have a 3DS you should get it. If you were thinking about getting a 3DS, here's your system seller!

edit: For a long time I wasn't carrying my 3DS and PAX made me pick it up again. I kept the habit up for the two weeks or so since and I've been averaging 5 StreetPasses a day. Makes me happy, considering how much there is in Find Mii II... SO MANY HATS!

[this message was edited by Grave on Sun 22 Apr 11:41]

Pollyanna
3227th Post

"Re(1):Kozakiiii" , posted Sun 22 Apr 14:08post reply

quote:

I love Yusuke Kozaki. I've been going to Nintendo's official page every week hoping they upload a wallpaper of that picture. Nrrrgggh. I was pretty thrilled that he did some Gravity Daze fanart, though.

He used to do these totally insane sketchy gif animations before he was a pro. His manga (Karasuma Kyoko) is only so good, but his depiction of action carried over marvelously. Funny that that's one of his strong points, but he's mostly famous as a character designer. He's an odd choice for Fire Emblem, but I'm not complaining!

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
2341th Post

"Re(2):Kozakiiii" , posted Sun 22 Apr 14:22post reply

Fire Emblem is in the same department for me as Ys as far as classic series I'm deeply embarrassed never to have played. Please tell me why I should/should not, and I'll add Fire Emblem to my List of Irresponsibility/Guilt. Which is topped by Zelda and Metroid and Dragon Quest V ohgodwhatiswrongwithme

sfried
774th Post

"Re(2):Kozakiiii" , posted Tue 24 Apr 03:05post reply

quote:
I love Yusuke Kozaki.
He's an odd choice for Fire Emblem, but I'm not complaining!

If you're talking about odd choices, how about Masamune Shirow? I mean, I know Intelligent Systems has several connections with Production I.G. for cutscenes (after all Ryo Hirata did character designs for Advance Wars), but I just don't know how well fans received his style and whether it jived with the rest of the series.

Speaking of Production I.G. and Shirow, I wonder how an Intelligent Systems collaboration with Namco Bandai to developed a tactical action GiTS:SAC game would turn out. I.S. has done particularly well with turning even simple gameplay mechanics into particularly deep ones (HikuOsu/Pushmo really shows this). It'd be nice to have a game that let you really control Section 9 instead of always focusing on Major Motoko.

Ishmael
4373th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best f" , posted Tue 24 Apr 22:46post reply

quote:
In other news, MvC2 is coming to iOS. Also, the recent rumors of Dragon's Crown being cancelled that I found too heartbreaking to mention here have been answered by the announcement that the publishing rights have been taken over by Atlus. Even though a US release seemed imminent, I'm breathing a little easier to hear that the 'release everything in the US' publisher is handling things. And finally, the kind of add-in this game franchise has been building up to for the last decade .

Wait a sec, Dragon's Crown isn't coming out until 2013? I appreciate game companies keeping players in the loop but this is getting ridiculous. Hopefully Atlus can use that extra time to find a new and legible font for the title.

karasu99
914th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best f" , posted Wed 25 Apr 07:05post reply

quote:

Wait a sec, Dragon's Crown isn't coming out until 2013? I appreciate game companies keeping players in the loop but this is getting ridiculous. Hopefully Atlus can use that extra time to find a new and legible font for the title.

I think this game generated an incredible amount of excitement when it was first shown, so I think they might have just been addressing the rumors that had been swirling. Yeah, having to wait that long really stinks though!

In other news, I received a solicitation for this, which I thought there might be some interest in around these parts.

www.secret-arts.com

Nekros
447th Post

Gold Customer

"Re:Capcom and I aren't best friends" , posted Thu 26 Apr 01:33post reply

quote:
In other news, I received a solicitation for this, which I thought there might be some interest in around these parts.

Is that a work of yours? Sorry, I don't know much about any of you in real life so I don't get it excluding the interesting subject.

Speaking about Capcom and things I recently read about a Famitsu teaser showing only five characters and nothing more. Can I find scans of this? Is probabily going to be something not important/interesting to me (like some social or mobile game) but I'm curious to see.

And yes, I indeed quite enjoyed Dragon's Dogma demo. Good renders, fast action, combos, timing and big bosses. More like the D&D arcade games than a Elder Scrolls action game. But the good ends here: not many moves, not co-op gameplay and a tremendous tearing (especially during cutscenes) ruined it all. Adding I can't stand middle ages fantasy IN ANY WAY (finding two exceptions with The Witcher and Berserk) I call quit with the game. But to me, DD is a good direction in action game with rpg elements, hope I will find the same gameplay with a more original setting in the years to come.

nobinobita
1059th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):XSEED and I aren't best f" , posted Thu 26 Apr 02:42post reply

quote:

I think this game generated an incredible amount of excitement when it was first shown, so I think they might have just been addressing the rumors that had been swirling. Yeah, having to wait that long really stinks though!

That looks great! Looks really fun and good hearted, like I'm reading Game Fan!

www.art-eater.com

Ishmael
4375th Post

"Re(1):Re:Capcom and I aren't best friends" , posted Thu 26 Apr 03:05post reply

quote:
And yes, I indeed quite enjoyed Dragon's Dogma demo. Good renders, fast action, combos, timing and big bosses. More like the D&D arcade games than a Elder Scrolls action game. But the good ends here: not many moves, not co-op gameplay and a tremendous tearing (especially during cutscenes) ruined it all. Adding I can't stand middle ages fantasy IN ANY WAY (finding two exceptions with The Witcher and Berserk) I call quit with the game. But to me, DD is a good direction in action game with rpg elements, hope I will find the same gameplay with a more original setting in the years to come.

There were a lot of things I liked about the DD demo but I'll just focus on two points:

1. I like that the character creation in the demo can transfer over to the main game. This will give me plenty of time to fuss and fiddle with the look of my characters. I particularly like that you can match a single droopy eye with facial scarring to make it look like your character got a very bad scratch to the head. I wonder if I can I make Captain Harlock? That's something to try later.

Since the character creation options can easily lead to abuse I'll be curious to see what sort of pawns people unleash on the world. When playing the game I'm going to do my best to fill my party with nothing but fat people and children.

2. I like that there's no co-op. I want to enjoy the game in my own way, not take part in some sort of sword swinging MMO.

Maou
2343th Post

"Harlock and I are best friends" , posted Thu 26 Apr 03:29:post reply

quote:
I wonder if I can I make Captain Harlock?
Ye gods, why have we never had a proper Matsumoto Leiji universe game? If my RPG party had Harlock and Emeraldas in the same place, I might actually buy a game made after 2007.
quote:
When playing the game I'm going to do my best to fill my party with nothing but fat people and children.
Hahah, we have to do our best in an era where squat, big-headed RPG sprites are gone. Except Penny Arcade, bless them.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 26 Apr 03:32]

karasu99
915th Post

"Re(1):Harlock and I are best friends" , posted Thu 26 Apr 04:41post reply

quote:
Ye gods, why have we never had a proper Matsumoto Leiji universe game? If my RPG party had Harlock and Emeraldas in the same place, I might actually buy a game made after 2007.

Only if their scars can be made with those great Matsumoto-style ones, not boring real life style scars.

I've still yet to try the demo (tonight, perhaps) but Ishmael's comment has made me think that DD allows for the creation of the last discriminated-against type in a lot of create-your-own type games: average-looking, non-supernatural ugly people.

quote:
Is that a work of yours? Sorry, I don't know much about any of you in real life so I don't get it excluding the interesting subject.

No, I was just reporting it. Somehow I got hooked into a mailing list for such things.

quote:
That looks great! Looks really fun and good hearted, like I'm reading Game Fan!

Out of the million Kickstarter-ish things like this that I've seen, this one seemed to have some real merit. Hopefully it will be good!

Also, aw nuts!

www.secret-arts.com

Ishmael
4376th Post

"Re(2):Harlock and I are best friends" , posted Thu 26 Apr 08:56post reply

Capcom vs Disney. Entertainment Weekly discusses the video game cameos in the upcoming film "Wreck-It Ralph." Much pixel art included.

quote:
Also, aw nuts!

Too bad! There's no shortage of tacky games out there but the combination of voyeurism and cartoon chimps seemed like a potent mix.

Another random thought about the DD demo: Since bringing a small girl into battle against monsters is a terrible idea I decided I had to do it. Thing is, in the demo your pawn defaults to having a two handed sword. It was quite the sight to see a tiny girl whipping a big Bezerk style sword over her head. I also found I could pick her up and toss her over my shoulder like a bag of potatoes during the middle of combat. She did not seem to appreciate that. She's going to like it even less the next time I play the demo and try to throw her at the monsters.

Spoon
2298th Post

"Re(3):Harlock and I are best friends" , posted Thu 26 Apr 17:18post reply

So this guy who likes Silent Hill way too much released a new game in March that seems awfully intriguing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtt0ZezljHk

Nekros
449th Post

Gold Customer

"Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Fri 27 Apr 16:24:post reply

So, Sony has officially announced its Smash Bros ripoff. I'll try to not be rude on this, but there's a big difference on what have Sony and what have Nintendo. A Sony Smash Bros, especially if you're an old school bitch like me, sounds very stupid considering how market around Sony consoles evolved. If Sony had mantained strong exclusives like FF, DMC, Tekken, MGS like in previous generations we sure have plenty of characters to choose from that had a strong impact on the industry and the players. To me, a game featuring only recent brands and fairly obscure ones (Fat Princess and Twisted Metal aren't exaclty like Metroid and Pokemon) doesn't sound too appealing. It's sure aimed to younger audience (OMG Kratos! OMG Drake! OMG Radec!) and Sony fanboys (OMG Sly! OMG Sackboyz! OMG Ratchet!), not the same players who enjoyed the concept behind Smash Bros. It also has that gritty "realistic" tone enjoyed by westerns, that's ok on some characters but out of place for others, while Nintendo mashes the pace in a more cohesive form (not perfect, but better than Sony's).
They've announced third party characters but in the end I don't think we'll get more than 3-4 guests from exclusives that Sony lost (Crash Bandicoot, surely Ezio/Altair because he's in every game, maybe Snake, maybe FF7 Cloud).

Maybe I'm pushing too hard but I don't think Sony deserved to be considered like Nintendo, even if tries to imitate them in every form. Sony consoles made history, not Sony games (although some are good) and for sure not Sony characters.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Fri 27 Apr 16:33]

karasu99
917th Post

"Re(4):Harlock and Bayman are best friends" , posted Sat 28 Apr 00:49:post reply

quote:
So this guy who likes Silent Hill way too much released a new game in March that seems awfully intriguing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtt0ZezljHk

This is a pretty great game! The protagonist's weird twitchy animation is oddly disturbing. I really think it achieves an incredibly spooky vibe-- especially when playing it in the dark! The whole VGA-monitor effect is a bit quaint but still nice.

quote:
So, Sony has officially announced its Smash Bros ripoff.

I think your point about console exclusives is an extremely important one-- these days there are very few exclusives compared to a decade ago. I guess my real feeling about the game is if it's fun, it's worth getting, regardless of how half-assed the cast is. But yes, definitely, it's no Smash Brothers, and it will undoubtedly be compared to Smash Bothers, so hopefully Sony is making sure that the gameplay will be good enough to make up for where the cast fall flat.

In other news, Bayman and Christie are in DOA5, not surprisingly. I haven't been overly excited about this game, but Bayman is my second favorite character from the series, so his inclusion makes me happy. Plus, holy crap the crashing helicopter in the video looks fantastic!

Also, new characters continue to be revealed for Anarchy Reigns. Honestly, they had me at Bayonetta. Is it just me, or is the schedule they're using for the release of new info really strange and extended for this game? It feels like we get some tiny bit of info every few months.

EDIT: DOUBLE ALSO! I'm sure I'm not the only fan of La Mulana here (in fact I have some recollection that someone here at the Cafe first told me about the game years ago), but the developer Nigoro apparently has no idea when the long-promised US and European localizations of the Wii version will come out, which is weird since I could swear it was announced years ago, and the Japan version has been out for some time. In any event, a PC version of the update is coming soon, which is great news, since this is a fantastic game.

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Sat 28 Apr 00:59]

Grave
1457th Post

"Re(5):Harlock and Bayman are best friends" , posted Sat 28 Apr 02:19post reply

quote:
EDIT: DOUBLE ALSO! I'm sure I'm not the only fan of La Mulana here (in fact I have some recollection that someone here at the Cafe first told me about the game years ago), but the developer Nigoro apparently has no idea when the long-promised US and European localizations of the Wii version will come out, which is weird since I could swear it was announced years ago, and the Japan version has been out for some time. In any event, a PC version of the update is coming soon, which is great news, since this is a fantastic game.

Doesn't surprise me, Nicalis doesn't leave me with too favorable of an impression. Their Wii Cave Story port was sloppy and the "improvements" were anything but. Hesitant to grab 3DS VVVVVV because of them. Curious to know what they've been doing with La-Mulana all this time...

sfried
775th Post

"Re(6):Harlock and Bayman are best friends" , posted Sat 28 Apr 04:18post reply

quote:
Doesn't surprise me, Nicalis doesn't leave me with too favorable of an impression. Their Wii Cave Story port was sloppy and the "improvements" were anything but. Hesitant to grab 3DS VVVVVV because of them. Curious to know what they've been doing with La-Mulana all this time...

VVVVVV for 3DS is ACTUALLY GOOD. Cave Story Wii also got patched up later on (improved music and fixed bugs), and soon I believe they will update the DSiWare version to make it a 3DSWare version instead. But I agree when it comes to release dates they are terribly sloppy. And it's better if they not release ETAs at all.

That said, here's the glorious Japanese box art of Cave Story 3D (man does Nicalis love milking that thing).

Nekros
449th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Harlock and Bayman are best friends" , posted Sat 28 Apr 16:17post reply

quote:
Bayman and Christie are in DOA5

Yay for both (I think nearly all previous characters will made it into DOA5) but Bayman... seriously, wtf? He went to being mercenary from full fledged war-bro for marketing and his stage also appeals Americans for sure. The last thing I want to see in a JAPANESE FIGHTING GAME is a URBAN WARFARE SETTING WITH BOMBS, ELICOPTERS AND EXPLOSIONS*. There are plenty of games with that. God I miss Nash's stage in 02, that was cool. Imagine that thing in 3D, fighting in a hangar with departing crafts at night...

*It's very similar to the first MGS4 setting, or the Binary Domain Arabian mission but without mechs. Apart the rant over the concept, I like Bayman's stage; it's very well done, especially light and particle effects (fire, dust, etc).

Spoon
2299th Post

"Re(1):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Sun 29 Apr 04:37post reply

I'm actually really interested in this game because they hired one of the best system analysts/combo makers of the past decade, Maj, as well as top player Ed Ma to design the game.

That and Parappa the Rapper is in the game.

Mosquiton
1814th Post

"Re(2):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Sun 29 Apr 06:46post reply

quote:
I'm actually really interested in this game because they hired one of the best system analysts/combo makers of the past decade, Maj, as well as top player Ed Ma to design the game.

I'm actually curious about this Maj fellow, what hes's known for and what he's worked on. Could anyone hook me up with some knowledge?

/ / /

the real kap
15th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Sun 29 Apr 06:59:post reply

quote:

I'm actually curious about this Maj fellow, what hes's known for and what he's worked on. Could anyone hook me up with some knowledge?

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=7000

Edit no.2: bleh, I hate linking. Never works.

[this message was edited by the real kap on Sun 29 Apr 07:00]

Burning Ranger
1707th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Sun 29 Apr 08:44post reply

quote:

Automatic Fail because it's not a Sega game and I can't play as "Hornet."

So much to do so little time...

Ishmael
4377th Post

"Re(4):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Sun 29 Apr 09:49post reply

quote:
http://sonichurricane.com/?p=7000

Edit no.2: bleh, I hate linking. Never works.

The guy from Sonic Hurricane is working on it? That's surprising since it doesn't look like that execution heavy of a game.

While I'll bet that Sony Smash Bros. or whatever it's called will be a fine game it still seems like a big jamboree fighting game is an odd choice. Yes, I know Sony has their rea$on$ for making the game but they don't have the established franchise characters that you usually find in these sort of game. Whether it's Shonen Jump heroes hopping around the battlefield or Nintendo's well cultivated roster, these games usually feature characters that are tied to a particular brand name. But Sony? Are we going to have Kratos fighting an old Walkman? We shall see how this pans out.

Loona
555th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Sun 29 Apr 11:43post reply

quote:

The guy from Sonic Hurricane is working on it? That's surprising since it doesn't look like that execution heavy of a game.

They did mention level 3 supers, while IIRC SSB seems to only have a couple of buttons for normals ("jabs" and the ones that can actually push you), 1 for throws, specials modified by held directions, and 1 kind of super at least in Brawl, but I don't recall how the command for that one is like other than requiring an item.

It would fit the Playstation's iconic 4 buttons for the game to use all of those, preferably all as attacks - I just hope the multiple level super system won't involve pressing more than a couple at once, odds are the dev team was given indications to make this easy to pick up and not as complex as the kind of games Maj is known for analyzing, considering what they're trying to compete against.

If I heard one of the videos correctly, Sly Cooper will only be ale to turn invisible instead of blocking like everyone else... I haven't played his series, but I wonder how that'll turn out, especially with 3 other characters all aiming for him...

quote:

While I'll bet that Sony Smash Bros. or whatever it's called will be a fine game it still seems like a big jamboree fighting game is an odd choice. Yes, I know Sony has their rea$on$ for making the game but they don't have the established franchise characters that you usually find in these sort of game. Whether it's Shonen Jump heroes hopping around the battlefield or Nintendo's well cultivated roster, these games usually feature characters that are tied to a particular brand name. But Sony? Are we going to have Kratos fighting an old Walkman? We shall see how this pans out.

The thing I'm antecipating the most is the news on who'll get to be the final boss for this - Crash Bandicoot would almost fit, as one of the earliest, if not the first, attempt at giving the Playsation a mascot, but maybe he'll be announced later or made an unlockable or DLC - then there's Dr Neocortex from his series. But Mario would make the most sense, really, unlikely as it is.

Spoon
2300th Post

"Re(5):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Sun 29 Apr 12:08post reply

quote:

I think it's actually an inspired move because somebody who understands fighting systems so thoroughly will be able to distill the key things that he wants for the game. The fact is, the way the game works is going to be under the scrutiny of one of the most capable analysts around, and I don't think he's going to accept a game that has weak gameplay.

quote:
But Sony? Are we going to have Kratos fighting an old Walkman? We shall see how this pans out.

I would LOVE IT if the game featured lots of Sony history.

Nekros
451th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Sun 29 Apr 18:53post reply

quote:

A Sega Smash Bros would be EPIC. I wonder how much we have to wait to have this instead of Superstar Racing-Tennis games.

SIBARRAz
405th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Mon 30 Apr 12:52post reply

quote:

A Sega Smash Bros would be EPIC. I wonder how much we have to wait to have this instead of Superstar Racing-Tennis games.

mmm, I had to make a roster using 30 characters, I will put

Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Dr Eggman
Shadow (I'm being realistic, you know that SEGA will put those 5 no matter what)
Alex Kidd
Ax Battler
Blaze
Amigo
Ulala
Akira
Pai
Kazuma Kiryu
Ryo Hazuki
Sakura
Bayonetta
Hornet
Robo and Mobo
Alis
Opa Opa
Nights
Space Harrier

And I Know that I'm forgetting someone, maybe more Virtua Fighter Chars or I don't know

But I will love to see a dream match of sega not involving karting or tennis

Mosquiton
1816th Post

"Re(6):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Mon 30 Apr 13:50:post reply

quote:

I think it's actually an inspired move because somebody who understands fighting systems so thoroughly will be able to distill the key things that he wants for the game. The fact is, the way the game works is going to be under the scrutiny of one of the most capable analysts around, and I don't think he's going to accept a game that has weak gameplay.

This guy totally seems legit but Smash Brothers isn't fun and accessible because Sakurai was into competitive fighting games...

And I have to wonder what constraints these guys will be working under. I dunno... I just don't have a good feeling about this one. Although I'd love to be proven wrong.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Mon 30 Apr 13:51]

Spoon
2301th Post

"Re(7):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Mon 30 Apr 15:52post reply

quote:

This guy totally seems legit but Smash Brothers isn't fun and accessible because Sakurai was into competitive fighting games...

And I have to wonder what constraints these guys will be working under. I dunno... I just don't have a good feeling about this one. Although I'd love to be proven wrong.

And I think that you're not at all wrong to look at it with some reservations. After all, it's not like Maj has ever made a game before. Still, I'm a lot more interested in it knowing he's on board than I would've been if I just saw that Sony is making a game that's like Smash Bros.

Because aside from getting some press with a really very small segment of the gaming population, it's not like Sony had to go out of their way in hiring esoteric expertise if all they wanted to do is clone the gameplay of a franchise whose core mechanics have been pretty firmly established for over a decade.

Nekros
452th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Mon 30 Apr 16:49post reply

quote:

mmm, I had to make a roster using 30 characters, I will put

Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Dr Eggman
Shadow (I'm being realistic, you know that SEGA will put those 5 no matter what)
Alex Kidd
Ax Battler
Blaze
Amigo
Ulala
Akira
Pai
Kazuma Kiryu
Ryo Hazuki
Sakura
Bayonetta
Hornet
Robo and Mobo
Alis
Opa Opa
Nights
Space Harrier

And I Know that I'm forgetting someone, maybe more Virtua Fighter Chars or I don't know

But I will love to see a dream match of sega not involving karting or tennis

I don't know if Bayonetta is legit. Most people claims that the character is a Sega trademark when is Platinum's and Sega only published the game. I don't think the own Bayonetta as IP (it's like as Project Zero 4 being a Nintendo title). And you miss Julius Thunderhead, Azel/Orta, Shion, Joe Musashi, Pepperochau, Pulseman, Vectorman, The guy from Comix Zone, Ecco, ToeJeam & Earl, Eternal Champions and Fighting Vipers characters, Shining Force characters, Soleil protagonist, Phantasy Star characters, Sakura Wars girls, Astal and Arle from Puyo Puyo (she's in Superstar Tennis). Also, I'll personally put the black guy from HOTD: Overkill, or G to represent HOTD franchise.

Spoon
2302th Post

"Re(5):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Mon 30 Apr 18:01post reply

I always wanted to be the guy in Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage who drives the awesome car and has the awesome guns.

Speaking of guys with guns, it'd be hilarious if the ESWAT guy were to be present, complete with his fabulously awkward walking animation.

badoor
268th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: PSVITA:BadoorUSA

Copper Customer

"It's Sega's turn to be nostalgic yet again." , posted Mon 30 Apr 23:30:post reply

Now with planes and boats too

I liked the 1st one but since these types of games work best with MP, I never got the chance to do that. And after I've forklifted on a few courses while listening to this, my life was complete and I had my fill.

And while the new features do really seem like direct ripoffs from Mario Kart 7, I'm pretty sure it was a case of really awkward timing and not deliberate. Besides, they both stole from Diddy Kong Racing, and sadly RARE is dead and no longer with us.

[this message was edited by badoor on Mon 30 Apr 23:34]

Baines
317th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Tue 1 May 01:05post reply

quote:
They did mention level 3 supers, while IIRC SSB seems to only have a couple of buttons for normals ("jabs" and the ones that can actually push you), 1 for throws, specials modified by held directions, and 1 kind of super at least in Brawl, but I don't recall how the command for that one is like other than requiring an item.

Destructoid had a preview up on the 27th.

Left stick or d-pad for movement.
Right stick for throws.
X for Jump.
Other three face buttons for attacks.
L1 to block
R1 to pick up items
R2 for super move

No life bar. No Smash Bros damage percentage either. Victory by score, where you gain points by knocking out opponents and lose points for being knocked out yourself.

From the sound of the Destructoid piece, you can only knock someone out with a super? The video at Sonic Hurricane implies the same, with enclosed stages and the only knockouts shown being done by a super.

So the main reason to attack is to build super meter? Or to steal super meter from other players, as apparently some attacks can do that.

Destructoid piece raised the concern that the game may end up being about the character with the best level 1 super. It mentions that even by the end of the preview, people were using Parappa because his skateboard super meant easy knockouts. (The only knockouts in the video at Sonic Hurricane are also by that super.)

SIBARRAz
406th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Tue 1 May 03:07post reply

My only grip with sonic all stars racing was that the game never make me felt like I was driving at high speed, which sucks in this kinds of game

I loved the roster, I hope to see all them return in this game (Except Billy Hatcher, never liked him, but if he returns I will not mind

Grave
1458th Post

"La-Mulana? Nah-Mulana." , posted Tue 1 May 09:12post reply

And now Nicalis has officially announced what we were busy muttering about! No NA or EU WiiWare release for La-Mulana from them. Is anyone really surprised?

Gieflos
80th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):La-Mulana? Nah-Mulana." , posted Tue 1 May 15:52post reply

quote:
Is anyone really surprised?

No, but this makes me sad. If anyone wants me I'll be selling melting down my Wii now.

Baines
318th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):La-Mulana? Nah-Mulana." , posted Tue 1 May 16:03post reply

quote:
And now Nicalis has officially announced what we were busy muttering about! No NA or EU WiiWare release for La-Mulana from them. Is anyone really surprised?

I wonder if Nicalis would ever have bothered to officially cancel it if Nigoro hadn't made a public posting about the unknown status of the Western WiiWare versions, that he'd handed off the data and hadn't heard anything from Nicalis.

sibarraz
408th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):La-Mulana? Nah-Mulana." , posted Tue 1 May 23:28post reply

quote:

I wonder if Nicalis would ever have bothered to officially cancel it if Nigoro hadn't made a public posting about the unknown status of the Western WiiWare versions, that he'd handed off the data and hadn't heard anything from Nicalis.

Could the game be saved at least for 3ds?

karasu99
917th Post

"Re(3):La-Mulana? Nah-Mulana." , posted Wed 2 May 00:57post reply

quote:

I don't think it was ever planned for the 3DS to start with, in any region.

It stinks that it took a very public comment from Nigoro to get Nicalis to cop to the fact that it was cancelled. Or maybe we got it wrong and there was more to it than that. Who knows? We're making a lot of assumptions about what went on between them.

www.secret-arts.com

sibarraz
409th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):La-Mulana? Nah-Mulana." , posted Wed 2 May 01:23post reply

quote:

I don't think it was ever planned for the 3DS to start with, in any region.

It stinks that it took a very public comment from Nigoro to get Nicalis to cop to the fact that it was cancelled. Or maybe we got it wrong and there was more to it than that. Who knows? We're making a lot of assumptions about what went on between them.

Oh I knew that, but I was saying more in the sense that instead they could release it for the 3DS service since I'm sure that this one is more alive than the WiiWare

Spoon
2303th Post

"Re(8):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Wed 2 May 06:01post reply

If the Sony All-stars game has Folklore characters and Kat from Gravity Daze playable in it the game will already be worth playing.

Of course, I'm just saying that because I'm a JJBA fanboy.

I think it's quite probable that they'll work to try to get some 3rd party characters in. I remember the outrageous hype that was generated by the Brawl trailer due to the Snake segment, and I hope that Sony manages something that gets me similarly excited. Maybe it'll be NIS/Atlus characters?

Of course, if Patapons vs. Lemmings is a game mode, I might not even need to play the fighting game part of it.

Nekros
453th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Thu 3 May 20:19post reply

quote:
If the Sony All-stars game has Folklore characters and Kat from Gravity Daze playable in it the game will already be worth playing.

Of course, I'm just saying that because I'm a JJBA fanboy.

I think it's quite probable that they'll work to try to get some 3rd party characters in. I remember the outrageous hype that was generated by the Brawl trailer due to the Snake segment, and I hope that Sony manages something that gets me similarly excited. Maybe it'll be NIS/Atlus characters?

Don't think so. They'll be revelead during Sony E3 conference and probabily will be characters more appealing to the westerns or something related to "the story of Playstation Brand" (ie: Crash Bandicoot). Most of influent brands in the PSX era were Japanese, maybe we get Japanese characters from Konami, Capcom, SquareEnix or Namco.
For sure not from NIS, Atlus or some recent Japanese Sony Product (maybe Genji, but who knows?).

Personally, I don't even care. I don't give a xxxx about Sony making a Smash Bros ripoff now when it got ridden of Japanese exclusives. In the late 90s/mid 00s this game could have been mindblowing. But today?

badoor
268th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: PSVITA:BadoorUSA

Copper Customer

"Re(10):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Fri 4 May 03:19post reply

quote:

That would be great. And can be a really good promotion for those games. (well, Gravity Daze mostly since sadly Game Republic is dead), Just like how Smash Bros. Melee was a great promotional tool for Fire Emblem.

And while I think the Smash clone game their making doesn't look very interesting (And the "only kill through supers" part is even less so appealing), I think as a game that collects the history of Sony brands, it has potential. The original smash brothers launched about 17 years after the famicom launched. And the Smash clone is coming out also about 17-18 years after the Playstation launch. So they both had the same duration to grow franchises and pick their choices.

And right now, Sony I think is trying the hardest out of the 3 console makers to make exclusive-games, even mere quantity-wise. I just hope they don't base their choices on popular 1st or 3rd party franchises, or else we could get Dude From Killzone and his palette swap, Dude from Call Of Duty

KTallguy
1379th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

"Re(2):Re(10):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Fri 4 May 09:44post reply

Man, I'm really sad about La Mulana. I hope/wish/pray that the Wii version makes it to PC or something...

I've been playing the original and it's really fun, just I'm so scared to play it without a FAQ. I'm definitely becoming a lazy gamer... hehe.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Nekros
454th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Fri 4 May 17:09post reply

quote:
only kill through supers

Wow, this reminded me of an old Dragonball Z game for Sat/PSX where you have to push a certain bar to one side through button mashing combos leading to a super move that draw a portion of the enemys' health. That game was bad, but mostly due to poor execution and lazy effort than the concept itself. Had lots of characters, music better than DBZ anime, tons of voice acting and if you play the story following what happened in the manga you can see different scenes or characters.

Btw, what to you think about DBZ? I used to like it when I was younger but now it feels so stupid and wrong to me.

quote:
The palette swap

°_° Shocked!!! Seriously, someone had top stop this overflow of creativity in western games, they're too original and unique!

Baines
319th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Sony tries to be nostalgic" , posted Sat 5 May 04:08post reply

quote:
only kill through supers

Wow, this reminded me of an old Dragonball Z game for Sat/PSX where you have to push a certain bar to one side through button mashing combos leading to a super move that draw a portion of the enemys' health. That game was bad, but mostly due to poor execution and lazy effort than the concept itself.

Dragonball Z Legends?

No, it wasn't a great game. But it did feel like Dragonball Z in a way that other DBZ games didn't. I think you had your entire team fighting at the same time, no tagging out or such.

There was a little bit of a gimmick to managing life meters, by switching characters to determine who'd take the hit from the next super. (You wanted to spread out damage, so you didn't lose a character until you had to.)

karasu99
921th Post

"Re(5):La-Mulana? Nah-Mulana." , posted Sat 5 May 06:23post reply

A little more detail on the lack of US/EU localizations of La-Mulana. I thought it was an interesting read, and I also found it interesting that Meikyuujou Hydra was cited, since I was actually just playing it myself this morning. While nowhere near as good as La-Mulana, it's worth looking at.

www.secret-arts.com

Abster
369th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):La-Mulana? Nah-Mulana." , posted Mon 7 May 07:51post reply

At least it's still coming out to PC, so non Japanese gamers will still be able to play the remade version once it comes out. Nigoro has control over the PC release themselves.

karasu99
923th Post

"Re(7):Old school beverage shooting" , posted Tue 8 May 13:18post reply

If only soft drink companies in the US had such faith in peoples' video game-based nostalgia.

www.secret-arts.com

karasu99
925th Post

"Re: See you in your nightmares!" , posted Thu 10 May 02:03:post reply

Wow, Soul Sacrifice includes some real nightmare fuel! Plus, from what can be seen in the video released, it looks pretty 'nice' on the Vita! Not that I'm complaining of course-- I think more games should be disgustingly and disturbingly designed.

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Thu 10 May 02:03]

GekigangerV
1750th Post

PSN: gekijmo

"G's Bloodstain returns in Flick of the Dead" , posted Thu 10 May 12:57post reply

For iPhone

Looks like a nice idea. Why don't game companies release more games on Android? Is there an exclusivity deal? There are quite a few games that haven't popped up on the Google Play store that I would like to get like the Ace Attorney games.

Ishmael
4379th Post

"Re(8):Old school beverage shooting" , posted Thu 10 May 22:15post reply

quote:
If only soft drink companies in the US had such faith in peoples' video game-based nostalgia.

People in the US prefer pharmaceuticals to old games.

Speaking of old games, there's going to be a collaborative webcomic celebrating Dig Dug's 30th anniversary. Will Mr. Dug's entire family show up? Will the stories delve into the plight of choosing a career that involves burrowing into the ground and inflating creatures until they explode? We shall see.

RE:RC continues to laugh in the face of all that is good in this world. Is this game fun with multiplayer? There certainly seems to be a large enough userbase to make certain you would always have enough people for a team.

Toxico
5630th Post

"Re(9):Old school beverage shooting" , posted Fri 11 May 03:49post reply

Ashura's wrath DLC set is out ... What was the word that I'm thinking?... Ah 戯け

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

karasu99
926th Post

"Re(10):Old school beverage shooting" , posted Fri 11 May 04:18:post reply

quote:
Ashura's wrath DLC set is out ... What was the word that I'm thinking?... Ah 戯け

Well, I'm not quite as negative about Asura's Wrath as I was right after the demo. At least it looks like a little bit of care was taken to make the Ryu appearance, although it's clearly a huge deal for a lot of people, and it wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of copies of the game sold purely as a result of it. Me, I'm just waiting for the price to drop, since with all the DLC this thing clocks in at something like $90 by now, doesn't it?

quote:
Dig Dug 30th

I'm really excited about this! Dig Dug is probably my favorite arcade game of all time, although I've always found it a little strange that a game about popping tomatoes wearing goggles and underground dragons developed a storyline at all, let alone one that involves such weird sitcom elements.

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Fri 11 May 05:53]