Let's talk about Soul Calibur V - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3140 Views )

Maou
2298th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Thu 2 Feb 15:59post reply

Hey. Hey. Soul Calibur V came out today. Or a couple days ago in the States, I guess. Let's talk about it. I see Polly got us started, but it's probably time for a breakout thread. After suggesting to my decade-long friend and fighting game teacher that we get SC V after I visit my hometown in a few weeks, he responsed "They're not going to fool me again!" But I'm already hopeful that it will be less III- and IV-ish and thus actually good again, but only you, Cafe denizens, can give me hope for these next two weeks while I wait!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Replies:

Pollyanna
3180th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

"Re(1):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Thu 2 Feb 16:54:post reply

Post edit pre-edit:

I was just thinking, "I hope Maou likes this!" since you always speak fondly of the SCII days and not so fondly of the sequels. I'm not into SC enough to pinpoint what I don't like about 3 and 4, but somehow I agree.

I'll paste what I said before:

In case any of you are on the line about Soul Calibur V, it might be worth mentioning that the story mode is told with tons and tons of storyboard-esque illustrations. Kind of reminds me of Yasuhiko Yoshikazu's Joan d'Arc manga.

I don't know if this is a selling point for everyone, but if I had known this beforehand, I wouldn't bought the game with triple the enthusiasm (my initial enthusiasm was admittedly fairly low). The soundtrack is also extremely impressive and I haven't liked a Soul soundtrack since Khan Super Session. It's a shame that the LE comes with a "Best of" CD rather than the V soundtrack.

My time spent with the game is limited, and although I've bought all the main games, I wouldn't consider myself qualified as a Soul Calibur fan...but at this point...I would certainly consider it the best in the series and the only one I haven't felt sour about since II. I'm not sure how much that really counts for, but I'm pleasantly surprised for sure.

Added:
Patroklos has one of the best renders I've seen in any game. His facial expressions are really impressive. You hardly notice them in the fight itself, but when you watch the replays, you notice little things, like his eyebrows moving at just the right second, or teeth clenching or whatever. I haven't spent enough time with the game to notice faces from everyone, but it adds a nice touch of drama to the fights.

Some of the characters don't match their artwork very well, though. I think Ishmael mentioned this a while back, but Siegfried is kind of stupid looking. Zwei's face isn't right, but his back muscles look amazing, so I guess that's something.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Thu 2 Feb 17:03]

karasu99
843th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Fri 3 Feb 02:04post reply

Honestly, I decided to hold off a bit before I buy. I've got so many games on my list to play that buying SCV will just add to my backlog, or more accurately it will push a bunch of games I've been meaning to play further down in my backlog. And if that means I won't get Dampiere as a bonus for preordering, so be it-- he stank in he PSP version, and I can't imagine he's that different here.

I'm glad to hear that it's good-- I loved 1 and 2, like most people, and felt 3 and 4 were real stinkers, again like most people, and I think it's too good of a franchise to go out on a sour note. I'm also happy that they decided to change up the cast, but I'm curious to hear if, for instance, the Taki replacement plays exactly like Taki or not.

Out of curiosity, other than Soul of Devil Jin, is there any way to add customization of style to any of the create a soul characters? As I've mentioned before, I tend to view this mode as a glorified 'dress the doll' kind of thing, since a female character with blue hair wearing a cowboy hat and jester suit that plays like Siegfried is still just Siegfried, as far as I'm concerned. Not that I find anything wrong with it, in principle, I just never got why 4 gave the player a choice between 'customize Mitsurugi' and 'Create a Soul' using Mitsurugi's style. It would be great if they threw in extra styles to give this mode a little more purpose.

I have to say though, I love that Story Mode is heavily illustrated-- I actually read a review (I think on Kotaku) that was talking about that aspect as a 'con'. Crazy talk!

www.secret-arts.com

Spoon
2280th Post

"Re(3):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Fri 3 Feb 05:25post reply

The instant kill moves aside in SC4, I don't actually know what the gameplay issues of 4 were simply because I was so far removed from SC1 and SC2 and had never played either very deeply to feel that SC4 was much worse than either. If anybody could explain it to me that'd be great. I did hear that SC2 was furiously annoying to some at a competitive level due to some silliness with 8-way run, but it was something that I never knew about myself.

All I know is that 3 looked goofy and 2 looked cool, and while I love goofy things, I had such a strong association with Soul Calibur being really cool that the goofiness felt weird to me. The fact that there is a wonderful imitation of Triple H for Rock's alternate outfit in SC4 was terribly charming, as were some of the joke weapons in create a soul (Hotdog!).

I honestly have no idea what to feel for SC5. The time gap between SC4 and SC5 is not significantly larger than the time gap between SC4 and SC3 (close to 3 years), but since I played SC3 so little, it felt like a long time and I got SC4 out of nostalgia. And while 3 years is still 3 years, I somehow don't feel an itch to get SC5.

Pollyanna
3180th Post

"Re(3):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Fri 3 Feb 05:43post reply

quote:

Out of curiosity, other than Soul of Devil Jin, is there any way to add customization of style to any of the create a soul characters? As I've mentioned before, I tend to view this mode as a glorified 'dress the doll' kind of thing, since a female character with blue hair wearing a cowboy hat and jester suit that plays like Siegfried is still just Siegfried, as far as I'm concerned. Not that I find anything wrong with it, in principle, I just never got why 4 gave the player a choice between 'customize Mitsurugi' and 'Create a Soul' using Mitsurugi's style. It would be great if they threw in extra styles to give this mode a little more purpose.

There aren't any other "extra" styles, but your characters do change a bit depending on their size. Smaller characters are stronger because they have less range. I don't know how much difference it really makes, but it's an interesting idea.

Although I'm extremely pleased with the way they executed story mode, the overall lack of story content will probably be a big disappointment to
a lot of players. The game obviously shipped before it was finished. It seems the only way to find out the scenarios for half of the characters is to get the LE artbook, which is more of a story guide with a few pictures. It's pretty clear that some characters were omitted as well...or at least clumped into mimic territory.

Although I'd rather see a butchered release than no release at all, this is an upsetting trend. I still have a positive impression of the game (that a lot of people share), but there's a sad sense of "we'll never get to play the SCV that should've been."

It sounds like I'm recommending, then un-recommending the game, huh? Despite the holes, it still looks sounds and plays better than anything else in the series, so that counts for something.

quote:
The instant kill moves aside in SC4, I don't actually know what the gameplay issues of 4 were simply because I was so far removed from SC1 and SC2 and had never played either very deeply to feel that SC4 was much worse than either. If anybody could explain it to me that'd be great.

I'm almost in the same boat, as I'm not a SC expert, but SC4 just rubbed me the wrong way. I played it, but in the end, I didn't feel good playing it. SC3 was even worse. I haven't felt good playing a SC game since 2. I feel great playing SCV...or at least I will until the bitterness over it's incompleteness sets in.

Again, my opinion doesn't count for much as far as recommending or not recommending the game, but a lot of SC fans seem to share it, for whatever reason.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
4304th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Fri 3 Feb 06:01post reply

quote:
Honestly, I decided to hold off a bit before I buy. I've got so many games on my list to play that buying SCV will just add to my backlog, or more accurately it will push a bunch of games I've been meaning to play further down in my backlog. And if that means I won't get Dampiere as a bonus for preordering, so be it-- he stank in he PSP version, and I can't imagine he's that different here.

I'm in the same boat. Since SCV appeared to be shoved into a pre-determined release date whether it was ready or not I figured I could wait on the game until the barren summer months. The positive, albeit conditional, word of mouth the game is receiving is making me regret that decision a bit but since I don't play SC competitively I hopefully won't miss much if I wait.

Maou
2299th Post

"Re(4):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Fri 3 Feb 06:33post reply

quote:
I was so far removed from SC1 and SC2 and had never played either very deeply to feel that SC4 was much worse than either. If anybody could explain it to me that'd be great.
Let's see. Coming from a group that has probably put in literally 1500 hours into SC 1 and 2 over the years, I think what's so crucial to making me actually like a 3D fighting game is how well it can remember that, like Street Fighter and other 2D champs, a good 3D fighter is essentially an extremely sophisticated mind-game of janken or rock-paper-scissors. This means that you truly need workable attacks that hit at all heights (low, middle, high) and while weaving in and out of the background. Low knockdowns, especially in 8-way run, just aren't there after 2, reducing the game to tedium.

It sounds so simple, but if you mess it up, like 3 and 4 did, you are reduced to people just slugging each other with mids and blocking, over and over and over again. As a simple example, I played a mean Nightmare/Siegfried in 2, weaving in and out of the field with alternating low knock-down Axle Kicks and tracking mid-hitting Rook Splitters, among many other things. The man does not have a single viable low/knockdown in 8-way run starting in SC 3. All he does is hit mids, block, hit mids, block...it's total chanbara.

SC 3's gaudy awfulness in its color scheme and its generally sloppy movement, and SC 4's astounding sluggishness (feels like I'm playing SC 3 underwater) are bad, of course. But even my favorite to play, SC 2, has the beginnings of gaudiness with stupid characters like Necrid, but it's just more fun and fluid than the aesthetically perfect SC 1.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Pollyanna
3181th Post

"Re(5):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Fri 3 Feb 14:16post reply

Nobody told me Dampierre was voiced by Chiba Shigeru. I haven't been able to pit him against Wakamoto since Yu Yu Hakusho on Megadrive!

Ah, wait...Dissidia! Chaos vs Kefka, though I don't know if you could actually make that happen...

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Gojira
2815th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(6):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Fri 3 Feb 18:09:post reply

Unfortunately, the less said about this story mode the better. All I can say is if the whole thing was just a text adventure with some battles thrown in it would have been more complete than this.

Other than that, I like the game. Haven't seen anything too ridiculous yet. I'm personally thankful that GI input was changed because I would sometimes get GI by accident when I was simply trying to guard in past SC games. I don't know about taking out the mixup (it works on any attack now) but I guess that's why it costs meter. Brave Edge and Critical Edge moves are pretty easy damage, though some characters have better moves that don't cost any meter so I don't know if they're really necessary. CE seems really easy to just throw out randomly, though there is some startup for most characters.

Online is eerily smooth. I've yet to experience any input lag, although there are varying degrees of unobtrusive slowdown. I still wouldn't use it to train since the slowdown can make some moves easier to read than it should, but as a tool to play people not within traveling distance it works better than many games. I have the PS3 version if anyone wants to throw down. PSN is Gojira_X.

Overall I think it's a step in the right direction, with the story being the only truly unfortunate disaster. We'll see how it fares one month from now.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Fri 3 Feb 18:12]

Megane
559th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"I have SoulCal questions" , posted Fri 3 Feb 18:36post reply

- I have not yet owned any Soul Calibur game for consoles. I now want to own one.
- I have played several sessions of the previous Soul Caliburs in arcades and in my friends' company. I do not believe any of us has reached high level play of any sort in the games.
- Our main source of entertainment in multiplayer is selecting Random (female CAC) and laughing at the results. Poofy shoulders + Afro + Armored legs + Katars = wtflulz
- That said, I enjoyed playing Soul Calibur 4, but I have not touched the single player mode.
- I liked using Kilik, Amy, Setsuka, Taki, Talim, and Zassy. Of them, I am most comfortable with Kilik's and Amy's play styles.

With those under consideration:
- Should I go on and buy Soul Calibur 5, or should I settle for SC4 for now?
- They say CAC is more robust here. What has changed? Has anything changed?
- Given that Namco releases forms of expansion packs in some of their series, how likely is the coming out of Soul Calibur V: Intelligible Subtitle?

Thank you Cafe.

PSN:BlakeMaxwell3

Loona
507th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Fri 3 Feb 19:42post reply

quote:
Nobody told me Dampierre was voiced by Chiba Shigeru. I haven't been able to pit him against Wakamoto since Yu Yu Hakusho on Megadrive!

Ah, wait...Dissidia! Chaos vs Kefka, though I don't know if you could actually make that happen...

You can, though not in the main story mode.

This is unlikely, but I have to ask - how close is Ivy to her SC2 self? She changed too much in the following games IMO.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Gojira
2815th Post

"Re(7):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Fri 3 Feb 20:50post reply

quote:

You can, though not in the main story mode.

This is unlikely, but I have to ask - how close is Ivy to her SC2 self? She changed too much in the following games IMO.

I wouldn't quite say SC2, but she's become much more un-complicated in SC5. So if you hated all her different whip stances, they're gone. Maybe that makes her closer to SC2, maybe something else entirely. Oh and also no Summon Suffering (still has Criminal Symphony though, albeit with a new input that seems to omit diagonals).

Pollyanna
3182th Post

"Re(8):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Fri 3 Feb 23:59post reply

quote:
- Should I go on and buy Soul Calibur 5, or should I settle for SC4 for now?

I really feel like the system for SCV is better. Actually, everything about it is better except for the single player options, which weren't that hot in SCIV anyway. If you were going to buy SCIV this late in the game, the only advantage is price, in which case you might as well just wait for SCV to get cheaper.

BUT

A lot of characters you like are missing from SCV, so depending on how much that bugs you, maybe you should pass. I like learning new characters and never expect my favorites to return, so it doesn't bother me...but I know some people can get get pretty bent out of shape.

quote:
- They say CAC is more robust here. What has changed? Has anything changed?

A lot has changed. You have more slots to apply items, you can change the size and placement of accessories (which makes for some crazy options), you can change colors on practically everything as well as apply patterns, and you have more options for just about everything from voices to body types to faces (with tons of makeup options to further edit). The ability to make "cards" for each character with "print club sticker-like" options is fun, too.

BUT

It takes some effort to unlock all the equipment. I assume since you're buying the game, you'll want to actually play it, but if you're looking to make the coolest character ever right off the bat, you might be out of luck. By the time you finish story mode you should have quite a few options at least.

quote:
Given that Namco releases forms of expansion packs in some of their series, how likely is the coming out of Soul Calibur V: Intelligible Subtitle?

Although Namco has done this with Tekken 5 and 6 in the arcade, I haven't known them to do it for home versions (correct me if I'm wrong). This would be the game to do it for... though I don't know if the demand will be high enough/they'll bother. The best people can probably hope for is more "Souls" to edit their characters with to cover some of the non-returners from SCIV.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I would like to see an add-on to clean the taint of an otherwise good game's incompleteness, I wouldn't count on it actually happening.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Mosquiton
1806th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(8):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Mon 6 Feb 04:45post reply

quote:

I wouldn't quite say SC2, but she's become much more un-complicated in SC5. So if you hated all her different whip stances, they're gone. Maybe that makes her closer to SC2, maybe something else entirely. Oh and also no Summon Suffering (still has Criminal Symphony though, albeit with a new input that seems to omit diagonals).

Ivy does have summon suffering, it's the brave edge version of A+G throw.

/ / /

Nekros
410th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Tue 7 Feb 23:23post reply

Palyed this every day since the release.
I somehow got to enjoy online matches, but I think this game is lacking again most of the depht that makes a fighting game a great experience.
It is truly a janken-based combat, a bit sad considering that every noob with some luck and poor effort can make advantage of this and beat almost easily a most-experienced player (try to spam the same moves in a 2D fighter against a stronger opponent and you're dead meat).
This is got worse in every episode, with the exception of 3, the worst one of all (I enjoyed 4 better, even it's a mess too).
To me is still SE > SC > SC2 > SC5 > SC4 >SC3.

To a very extensive side-note, the single player is boring. Nothing real to add to the story, the edge master mode is completely absent (like 4, but this time the story mode follows only a bunch of characters completely ignoring others). The characters are not introducted by anything, except for Patroklos and Pyrra, you don't know who they are and why they are fighting for. The new entries are quite interesting and useless at the same time, being only a variant of style than a new one from scratch (ZWEI and Viola excluded). Is like having the EX-version of characters like Kilik, Xianghua, etc. Most of player-favourites are absent, too (Zasalamel, Talim). Also, giving Patroklos an hittoryu version is stupid and with absolutely no clue at all.

karasu99
844th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Wed 8 Feb 01:42post reply

quote:

To a very extensive side-note, the single player is boring. Nothing real to add to the story, the edge master mode is completely absent (like 4, but this time the story mode follows only a bunch of characters completely ignoring others). The characters are not introducted by anything, except for Patroklos and Pyrra, you don't know who they are and why they are fighting for. The new entries are quite interesting and useless at the same time, being only a variant of style than a new one from scratch (ZWEI and Viola excluded). Is like having the EX-version of characters like Kilik, Xianghua, etc. Most of player-favourites are absent, too (Zasalamel, Talim). Also, giving Patroklos an hittoryu version is stupid and with absolutely no clue at all.

Soooo, question for anyone who knows the answer: are there multiple weapons for each character still? If so, absent something with all the characters like Edge Master mode or a more comprehensive story mode, how are they unlocked? The negative effect weapons were always some of my favorites in the first SC.

Guh, I'm guessing I'll just swallow my pride and buy this sooner or later, like I always do with SC games, no matter how bad they look to me.

www.secret-arts.com

Gojira
2816th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Wed 8 Feb 04:38post reply

quote:

Soooo, question for anyone who knows the answer: are there multiple weapons for each character still? If so, absent something with all the characters like Edge Master mode or a more comprehensive story mode, how are they unlocked? The negative effect weapons were always some of my favorites in the first SC.

You unlock stuff in the game by just playing any mode, which fills an arbitrary experience meter that unlocks stuff at every "level up." Unfortunately it takes a while to get to the joke weapons; I'm at level 38 and I still haven't unlocked them. But I know they exist because I've seen Pyrrah fighting with a flower basket and rolling pin.

Pollyanna
3183th Post

"Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Wed 8 Feb 07:44post reply

quote:

It is truly a janken-based combat, a bit sad considering that every noob with some luck and poor effort can make advantage of this and beat almost easily a most-experienced player (try to spam the same moves in a 2D fighter against a stronger opponent and you're dead meat).

I have fun doing fancy pants combos with Viola, but it's discouraging to put a lot of work into a character only to get wiped out by someone pounding on one button. I think the bigger nuisance is that these people are completely invincible to mind games. You put together a strategy and it just doesn't work on them because they aren't thinking at all. This isn't just a SC thing, of course.

Speaking of online, I like the setup quite well! There's usually something incredibly annoying about every game's online, but this seems very promising. The window-in-window view of the fights is nice, the chat interface is nice, there isn't too much down time between fights, I love the player "trading cards" (I need to make them for all my characters) and there's very little hiccuping, it seems. I've only played Nekros, but he's across the ocean and I had less lag against him than I have against people two states away in other games. Of course, I'll have to play with it more, but it seems quite promising.

I want to get all my costume pieces before I really dive into online, but I'm lacking an effective way to do it that's still fun. Maybe arcade mode 2 rounds, if you can do that. I don't want to just set it on easy and jam on B all day.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1428th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Wed 8 Feb 11:53post reply

So I said I wasn't going to buy it, but then I saw the things possible in character creation and I threw the cash down. Sure, the horse heads are fun, but everything else is way better than expected!

I knew what I was getting into re: light single player content, but that's fine. It's as everyone says, the netplay is wonderful. I was having connection trouble today, matches would sometimes hang at the beginning or drop, and almost everyone was showing at 1 bar... yet the matches themselves were almost completely smooth and it ran better than KOF XIII at 3 bars the entire time. Amazing! Also, yes, the live chat box while spectating is gold. Really good stuff.

Some more modes would be good, sure, but since this is the first SC game I've owned my own copy of since SC2, the game itself is more than enough for me. Outside of some goofing around with 3, this is my first major experience with the series in years and I'm struggling quite a bit. It's quite frustratingly different from anything else I'm used to, but when I pick something up and it works or I do something right it feels great. Still, I can't help but wish there was more tutorial - especially in what to do when you're defending. The second I'm downed I feel like I'm completely and utterly boned... and I'm legitimately surprised by how irate it makes me. I don't usually get mad at games and I certainly don't when playing other people. Losing while I'm in control and can see my mistakes is one thing, but when I just get completely swept away by the computer and am helpless to do anything about it and don't learn a thing the entire time, the fun starts to slip away. This game is awfully foreign to me and I want to understand how I can avoid this stuff.

Thinking about picking up the guidebook to read a bit more about the game's systems. Anyone take a look at it yet?

Nekros
412th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Wed 8 Feb 19:43:post reply

Yes, about the online with Polly (I enjoyed that, especially the double vacuum moment with Violas), we actually had some problems in a room with many different connections working. Many times I've experienced a flood when the game hosts different types of connection.. hope they will fix that. The game was fine with her when we were the only players in the room even if we are very distant and her net icon had 1 bar, but was litterally unplayable (never get to a stage) when we were in a room with other players.

About the weapons and unlocking edit parts: you will get all the "normal" equipment around level 50-53, so you have a full collection of custom parts to make your own character. However, other parts, (the most "silly", "strange" or "special") are unlocked until level 100. They consist in patterns and stickers for the most part, but you'll also get the funny weapons: definitely the most hard-to-get-due-to-grinding thing of the game!
And no, for what I've seen, choosing a weapon over another does not improve/weakens anything in you character. SC4 was heavily influenced by equipment, especially with the custom chars, but SC5 makes it only aestetic.
I really miss Hwang and that invisible blade.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Wed 8 Feb 23:03]

kofoguz
974th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Thu 9 Feb 01:54post reply

I dont have the game but I have watched those.

No b*lls, no pain!

Pollyanna
3184th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Thu 9 Feb 08:18post reply

quote:
The second I'm downed I feel like I'm completely and utterly boned... and I'm legitimately surprised by how irate it makes me. I don't usually get mad at games and I certainly don't when playing other people. Losing while I'm in control and can see my mistakes is one thing, but when I just get completely swept away by the computer and am helpless to do anything about it and don't learn a thing the entire time, the fun starts to slip away. This game is awfully foreign to me and I want to understand how I can avoid this stuff.

Thinking about picking up the guidebook to read a bit more about the game's systems. Anyone take a look at it yet?

Although I don't have the guide myself, I've only heard good things about it. Unlike most other fighting games, somehow I can mostly understand the SC community internet lingo well enough to stop me from buying it.

As far as "getting completely boned on the ground", it's one of those things like when you lose two characters in one shot in MvC3, or make a bad guess and never get off your feet. Some matches...you just get boned. I think that's why most people set it to 3/5 instead of 2/3.

Just try to quick recover more and ah...I don't know what it's called...air tech or whatever, to avoid getting locked into combos that aren't really combos.

I do really hate those "I spent the whole round rolling on the ground" matches.

I'm really eager to play you, though! I'm not at the "improve by playing good players" stage yet, so I'm glad to have a few rookie friends.

SIDE NOTE RANT
I hope I don't end up with a lot of disconnects. Thanks to AT&T internet service, I now have NAT3 on my PS3 connection (even though it's wired). They have some garbage on their (required) modem that messes with you no matter what you do with your router. I was able to put my old router into bridge mode, but every time I try to do anything with my new one, AT&T does this flip out "we are taking over your internet" thing that takes an hour to get out of.

Yesterday was the most angry day of my life.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
412th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Fri 10 Feb 01:01post reply

Ah yes, one more thing about single player: it is ridicolously poor.
Not only story mode is short, not various and doesn't care for many characters (the good are the manga-sketchy cutscenes) but also arcade mode is very simple and lacks many options. It only has 6 stages, you can choose 3 basic routes (europe stages, asia stages and mixed) and a 4th route with a different camera angle. There's no a real final boss except for

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Kilik

End of Spoiler

in the Asian route and the legendary mode that make you fight a stronger (and maybe a bit cheap) CPU. You can choose only 3 difficulties and you can't change the number of rounds, setted to a bizarre 3. Yes, 3 in the sense that you must win 3 rounds (not 2 counting 3 total if you lose one) to pass the stage.
Totally unappealing and unsatisfactory, especially after the good story modes of Edge, SC and SC2.

Pollyanna
3185th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Sat 11 Feb 09:32post reply

quote:
I dont have the game but I have watched those.

No b*lls, no pain!

Pyrrha has pretty much the best combo ever with the "knee to the groin followed by repeated stabs to the head" (but only on men).

quote:
Ah yes, one more thing about single player: it is ridicolously poor.

It's funny...I wasn't a great fan of Soul Edge, but I got the home version because of all the extras (and the incredible opening). Similarly, I was lukewarm on Soul Calibur, but spent a lot of time with it simply because there was so much to do. Soul Calibur II I actually liked a bit, but 3 and 4 were just barely justified by their extra content.

SCV on the other hand, I like a lot and play for the joy of playing, not because it's packaged well. Of course, it's not a good thing that it's packaged poorly, but it's good that the game isn't crap on top of being obviously incomplete.

I've heard sales have been pretty mediocre and I suppose if it sold extremely well it would send the message "it's okay to sell an incomplete game" (though studios are going to do this anyway). However, I can't help but be reminded of Devil May Cry 3's sales in reference to DMC2, where they actually improved the series, but sold less thanks to the last game being poorly received.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1429th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Sat 11 Feb 14:23post reply

So for anyone else struggling with the basics of the series, I highly recommend the video that the Cross Counter guys did with Floe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR0ezRdtMZE

quote:
SCV on the other hand, I like a lot and play for the joy of playing, not because it's packaged well. Of course, it's not a good thing that it's packaged poorly, but it's good that the game isn't crap on top of being obviously incomplete.

Yeah - while I find myself disappointed about what's not there, the game plays well enough that I don't mind anywhere near as much as I thought I would have. Weird! But not really that weird, when I think about how many hours I spent playing SNES SF2 with nothing but arcade mode, and how that probably cost my dad $80 back then. Maybe we're just spoiled brats? Maybe.

quote:
I've heard sales have been pretty mediocre and I suppose if it sold extremely well it would send the message "it's okay to sell an incomplete game" (though studios are going to do this anyway). However, I can't help but be reminded of Devil May Cry 3's sales in reference to DMC2, where they actually improved the series, but sold less thanks to the last game being poorly received.

Honestly, I had no intention of picking up the game because of how gaudy-looking the series had become over time, how uninterested I was in 3 and how 4 didn't even register on my radar... but then I saw the character creation. And I will buy any game with a good game of dress up in it. And I'm not disappointed by the creation tools here, not at all! Well, a little. Hair selection seriously needs upgrading and 50 slots will never be enough. If there's any DLC I'll buy for this game, it'd be a set of new hair. Oh, who am I kidding? I already bought the Soul Edge music pack and the first clothing DLC. I'm a bad person.

Nekros
414th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Sat 11 Feb 21:53post reply

Yes, DLC music is a good thing. I'm a bit disappointed by the fact that is only a selection of songs and not the whole soundtrack. Also, there's no sign of Khan Super Session, what a shame.
About creation mode: I love it! But again, Japanese are so conservative with their method of obtain-things-by-grinding that I found ridiculous spend hours of gameplay only to get some new stickers, a skirt and some crappy mask/headgear, etc.
I prefer most of the equipment to be unlocked from the beginning and leave only the very surprisingly, crazy stuff for the sake of gameplay.

Pollyanna
3186th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Sun 12 Feb 21:15post reply

quote:
Also, there's no sign of Khan Super Session, what a shame.

This would put me in a difficult position. I want Khan Super Session for SCV, but I wouldn't want to buy it because I already own the CD...then...BAM! I find out you can do custom soundtracks! I don't have any other SC soundtracks and there are a few songs I'll miss from V, but maybe I can put together a "world music" kind of tracklist including Khan.

I don't like replacing music in a game, generally speaking, but with fighting games, it only makes sense after playing for 40 hours or more.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Gojira
2822th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Calibur V" , posted Sun 19 Feb 11:29post reply

I made a few SNK characters

Grave
1431th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Cal" , posted Sun 19 Feb 11:35post reply

quote:
I made a few SNK characters

I followed you on Twitter. RECIPROCATE OR DIE!

Anyway, this game is good. I'm still not great but I'm learning a lot and having tons of fun! Much less frustrated too.

The netplay is amazing in that my one bar games play super smooth but they drop between rounds sometimes. My internet connection is awesome during everything but this game for some reason... I don't quite understand it. Sometimes I'll join a room where everyone's 3 bars and then they'll all drop to 1.

Still, during a 1 bar match last night I Just Guarded! Online! On purpose! I felt good.

Gojira
2834th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Let's talk about Soul Cal" , posted Sun 18 Mar 21:52post reply

Patch coming soon!

Yay, the awesome strategy guide that was printed is no longer up-to-date. Such is the value of permanently printed press these days. Well, I'm sure they already met their sales expectations anyway.