karasu99
655th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member

"3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Wed 15 Jun 23:13post reply

So I saw the following list of factors broken out on Magic Box (EDIT: actually, scroll to the bottom to see them) and it really got me thinking about the 3DS. I should explain that I've been a huge fan of handheld game devices since the original Gameboy-- well, really, for that matter as far back as some of the Tiger handhelds. I mean, I love handheld games so much I bought an NGage.

But for some reason I have been extremely cool regarding the 3DS, and I've been trying to put my finger on why that is with some success. Then comes this list, and things started to become a little clearer for me. The price was for sure a big reason why I didn't buy, as well as 'not interested in launch titles', but for me I think it's a little more complex-- after all, I'm like 99% sure I spent the same amount to the penny on the PSP when it first came out. The game selection is pretty light, for sure, but again that hasn't stopped me, since the DS released with, what, pretty much just the Super Mario 64 remake?

Then it occurred to me that I've only bought a few DS games in the past few years, compared to an embarrassing pile of them for PSP. Is it just me, or have the decent releases for the DS been somewhat lean compared to the ones on the PSP? I feel like Nintendo has opened the flood gates of games on the DS, with the result that anything good gets drowned in the torrent of shovelware thats being made, while Sony seems positively restrained.

I'd be less inclined to think that my opinion of the current generation is driving my opinion of the 'next generation', if not for the fact that I am SUPER excited about the Vita-- to the exclusion of the 3DS, which I could leave my house right now and buy if I wanted to.

So if anyone is still reading after the wall of text, here are those poll results, and my topic for discussion: Want 3DS? If so, why? If not, why not?

High price - 100%
Satisfied with DS/DSi - 60.6%
Worried about eye strain - 41.2%
3D motion sickness - 39.4%
Not interested in the launch titles - 24.6%
Wait for key software releases - 18.5%
Satisfied with smart phone/tablet games - 11.1%
Satisfied with PSP - 10.8%
Short Battery life - 8.0%
Too heavy to carry around - 7.1%

Replies:

Loona
421th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a

Gold Customer

"Re(1):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Thu 16 Jun 01:01post reply

For me, it's the titles no far - nothing really stands out to me, and the few games I have for both the DS and PSP are likely to keep me entertained on the go for quite some time still.

Also, both of them are region-free, which has allowed me to get SRW games (impossible to localize due to any non-Original-Generation games being licensing nightmares and/or money sinks) for both of them - while one is announced for the 3DS, iirc, it's not likely to be worth the effort.

Maybe there'll be pleasant surprises later on though - the PSP meant nothing to me until Dissidia came along packed with it.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

nobinobita
938th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Thu 16 Jun 02:20post reply

I love the PSP. It's like the true successor to the PSOne. It's the only current gen system with a library of games that wouldn't have been out of place on the Super Nintendo.

www.art-eater.com

karasu99
656th Post

"Re(2):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Thu 16 Jun 02:41post reply

quote:
I love the PSP. It's like the true successor to the PSOne. It's the only current gen system with a library of games that wouldn't have been out of place on the Super Nintendo.

I agree completely-- I absolutely love my PSP, and I play it almost every day. I'm actually on my second one having played the first one into the ground.

quote:
For me, it's the titles no far - nothing really stands out to me, and the few games I have for both the DS and PSP are likely to keep me entertained on the go for quite some time still.

Also, both of them are region-free, which has allowed me to get SRW games (impossible to localize due to any non-Original-Generation games being licensing nightmares and/or money sinks) for both of them - while one is announced for the 3DS, iirc, it's not likely to be worth the effort.

Maybe there'll be pleasant surprises later on though - the PSP meant nothing to me until Dissidia came along packed with it.

I can only hope this is the case. I want to want the 3DS, but even the titles that are upcoming aren't especially interesting. I think my actual comment on seeing the 3DS's starting lineup was "that's it?"

Incidentally, I took a look and the game I bought in the last 12 months for the DS are exactly two: Ghost Trick and Dragon Quest IX. Both are excellent, but... 2 games in a year? There was a point when I was buying and finishing games constantly on the DS. I'm puzzled at this, really. Are there really that few games that appeal to me?

I guess to be fair to the DS, I've bought a ton of games for it over the years, so maybe I'm making a point that doesn't really exist.

Spoon
2175th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Thu 16 Jun 02:47:post reply

I'm pretty sure we'll all get 3DS's once Kid Icarus is out on it.

EDIT: oh! my grammar

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 16 Jun 02:54]

karasu99
657th Post

"Re(4):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Thu 16 Jun 02:50post reply

quote:
I'm pretty sure we'll all get a 3DS once Kid Icarus is out on it.

Hum, I had forgotten about that one! Very good point!

Iggy
9273th Post

"Re(1):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Thu 16 Jun 07:32post reply

quote:
Worried about eye strain
3D motion sickness

This. When the whole selling point of the console is "I'll give you headache in 5 minutes", then there definitely is a problem. Also, I don't see the point of the 3D at all. Generally. I could somewhat understand the pointer of the wiimote, the vibration, Move, hell, I could even see what the six axis could have added if it hadn't totally sucked. But the 3d? What does it add, really?

Also, I'm waiting for the 3DSXL oh who am I kidding just cover me with Parthena jizz, Sakurai, you know I want it.

Freeter
4535th Post

"3DEh" , posted Thu 16 Jun 07:40post reply

quote:
I'm pretty sure we'll all get 3DS's once Kid Icarus Layton vs Gyakuten is out on it.

Fixed.

Gojira
2745th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(1):3DEh" , posted Thu 16 Jun 08:31:post reply

I already have one.

I didn't really buy one for myself though; it was a birthday gift. I needed it because my DS had broken and 999 was sitting around begging to be played.

As for how I feel about it, I don't really care about the new features. I'm just seeing it as the new version of DS rather than a brand new system. There are some odd things about it (the control placement, the power button, the shoulder humps) and honestly I don't use the 3D too much because instead of drawing me in it distracts me. I'll turn it on during things like cutscenes and video but can't actively play a game with it on, especially when there is text to read. This may be how it is, or I may just have to get used to it, time will tell.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Thu 16 Jun 08:32]

Pollyanna
3055th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(1):3DEh" , posted Thu 16 Jun 08:35post reply

The 3DS is now going to be "the system I don't want good games to come out on." I don't care about portability, because I work from home and while I'm glad it's a step up from the DS, it's still going to be the weakest system on the market. The Vita trumps it in pretty much every realm except 3D, which I don't care about at all.

I won't buy a system until it has a "must play" game on it, which (for me) the 3DS does not. I'm even further torn by the fact that it's region locked. Although I spent most of my "DS time" playing imports, I don't like being locked into one region. I don't mind shelling out a little extra now and then, but if I can buy something domestically, I'm not so much of an import snob that I'll pay $20-40 more just for...for...I don't know what.

So, yeah...I might be happier if the 3DS just didn't exist. When a really great game comes out for it, I'll be more inclined to curse than cheer.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1377th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):3DEh" , posted Thu 16 Jun 10:17post reply

As much as I hate to admit it, Polly, I'm kind of with you on this one. I love the 3D gimmick and I love that it's the true successor to the Virtual Boy - but I fear it may be destined for a similar fate. All PS Vita needs are similar social functions and it'll smash the 3DS into dust. I love love love LOVE StreetPass and I find the effect terribly charming and potentially promising for a number of genres, but I hate how cheap the slide-pad-thing feels and how halfassed the online implementation seems to be. Okay, we have a real friends list! Now... what can I do with them? Nothing? Oh, cool...

Still, the trailers of upcoming titles excited me a good deal. Starfox 64 looks like a blast in 3D. Will there be room for both? Sure. But I sure hope the big titles end up on Vita...

sibarraz
135th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: sibarraz4life

Regular Customer

"Re(2):3DEh" , posted Thu 16 Jun 11:19post reply

There are tons of problems with the 3DS

The first one that worried me was the fact that when I turned on the 3d, not only I got some headhaches, but also, the framerate seems to drop a little, add to the fact that the line up seems very poor (When your stronger options are Super Street Fighter IV and a Remake of OoT, there is a problem

Personally, the console is very ''meh''

exodus
4243th Post

"Re(3):3DEh" , posted Thu 16 Jun 11:20post reply

I'm just not interested in the games, yet! Plus I have a pile of games I've not played, still. so!! there we are.

badoor
207th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):3DEh" , posted Thu 16 Jun 11:32post reply

I also am feeling the "meh" of the 3DS. The 3D is cool to me (Ridge Racer & SSF4 were pretty "neat" in 3D, and Starfox in 3D sounds promising) but Ceteris paribus I'd rather see from Vita's beautiful OLED than in 3D, especially with how the 3D-on setting tends to kill frame rate and battery life.

Though at first I thought one benefit of the 3DS would be that it will be the weakest mainstream system. Being the weaker system means that developers aren't expected a lot graphically, reducing the budget & team size, and that they can have a more focused concise vision for the game (Same argument can be said as to why The Last Story & Xenoblade, are on Wii instead of 360/PS3) as opposed to the more intensive PS3-like VITA. However, thankfully that argument just fell apart when I saw that Shinobido, which looks about Wii/3DS graphically, is coming to VITA, which is great.

KTallguy
1330th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

"Re(4):3DEh" , posted Thu 16 Jun 14:24post reply

I wanted a 3DS for Layton VS Phoenix, but now I just hope they port all the 3rd Party games to Vita. I am busy playing ports of DS games on my iPhone (which has a much better screen than the 3DS...).

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

sfried
682th Post

Wii: 8963437745913552

"Re(5):Moar liek 3D-YES" , posted Thu 16 Jun 15:35:post reply

quote:
The 3DS is now going to be "the system I don't want good games to come out on." I don't care about portability, because I work from home and while I'm glad it's a step up from the DS, it's still going to be the weakest system on the market. The Vita trumps it in pretty much every realm except 3D, which I don't care about at all.

I won't buy a system until it has a "must play" game on it, which (for me) the 3DS does not. I'm even further torn by the fact that it's region locked. Although I spent most of my "DS time" playing imports, I don't like being locked into one region. I don't mind shelling out a little extra now and then, but if I can buy something domestically, I'm not so much of an import snob that I'll pay $20-40 more just for...for...I don't know what.

I honestly dislike all this hatred towards 3DS after the Vita coverage. I am enjoying my 3DS more than I'd initially expect thanks to Link's Awakening and some neat StreetPass features. I'm one of those people already in line for Ocarina not for the fact its a remake, but for some of the stuff added to it that nobody seems to care about. And I find it surprising is an announcement of a Tekken 3D with promises of 60fps even on 3D mode.

No. I don't want the games to be ported to Vita. In fact, I'd be happier if that thing didn't exist.

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 16 Jun 15:37]

Oh my
32th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Fri 17 Jun 04:16post reply

The 3DS haters are just jealous.

There is a reason the DS have more sales than the PSP (having in mind it is a good choice for parents). The 3DS looks awesome, Super Mario, Zelda, star fox, and kid Icarus surprise me a lot not even because it looks good, its looks fun too.

That star fox is the one from the N64, but I like that tittle and I never had the opportunity to have it, just rent it. Kid Icarus looks like star fox gameplay, with the only difference that the spaceship is replaced by an angel with a fantasy setting but its looks sooooooooooooooooo GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODD. Super Mario looks fun too (I hope is not like the new super Mario bros. scam).

When its come to handheld games, I don’t care which looks better, I just care for the fun in short periods of time and I cant deny Nintendo knows about makings games fun.

I will get a 3DS when I get a jod and when its have a lots of goods games over $20 so I will wait about 2 years, HA!.
quote:

Tiger handhelds. I mean, I love handheld games so much I bought an NGage

WOW you are really in to it. FOR GOD SAKE the N-GAGE!!!!! DAMN
quote:

Then it occurred to me that I've only bought a few DS games in the past few years, compared to an embarrassing pile of them for PSP. Is it just me, or have the decent releases for the DS been somewhat lean compared to the ones on the PSP?

That’s depends on the type of games you like. The good thing about the DS is the touch screen and how it can be adapted in games (for me) while the PSP is more of the same (for me). I never thought to like statics games like Layton but it is good.

I always hated and judge FF crystals chronicles because for me it was pathetic. The art concept and character design are very childish but I changed my mind when I played the DS ver. That game is GOOD better than the Zeldas on DS, I even like the story, I almost cry, POOR SHERLOTTA.(I Like RPGs)

what?

karasu99
658th Post

"Re(2):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Fri 17 Jun 04:47post reply

quote:

Not in my case at least-- like I said, I want to want one, I'm just amazed that Nintendo managed to make it so unappealing to me-- for the moment at least, I guess. In the best possible world I would want both the 3DS and the Vita. It's just that somehow Sony has been marketing the Vita directly to me and the Nintendo has been marketing the 3DS directly to... I don't know, not me.
quote:

WOW you are really in to it. FOR GOD SAKE the N-GAGE!!!!! DAMN

I'm a little ashamed about the NGage, but it looked like it was going to be good... really it did... I swear

It's been great to see everyone's thoughts on the matter are. I think my personal conclusion needs to be... to keep an eye on things. Who knows, something might grab my interest at some point (probably won't be OoT, might potentially be Kid Icarus, don't know).

sfried
684th Post

"Re(3):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Fri 17 Jun 05:16:post reply

Lately NOA hasn't been very good at marketing stuff, and while most of the focus on 3DS has been on the 3D, very few take notice of the passive functionalities which are pretty neat.

Kid Icarus is indeed looking mighty fine, in part I think that they're spending more time with it. Some stuff people have overlooked was Nano Assault by Shin'En and Heroes of Ruin by nSpace which I hear are remarkably better than some of the other offerings. So while Vita might looks like the hot shit for now its not like 3DS doesn't have anything to offer. It's just that marketing happens to be Sony's No.1 strength.

Edit: And I can't believe people are indifferent to OoT3D. It's clear they've altered stuff enough to make a fuss about it "not being a mere port". But I guess what people really are expecting is an all out remake a la Biohazard for GameCube.

[this message was edited by sfried on Fri 17 Jun 05:19]

karasu99
660th Post

"Re(4):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Fri 17 Jun 05:41post reply

quote:

Edit: And I can't believe people are indifferent to OoT3D. It's clear they've altered stuff enough to make a fuss about it "not being a mere port". But I guess what people really are expecting is an all out remake a la Biohazard for GameCube.

Well I know it's not that popular of an opinion probably, but... for me it's the source material. I've never loved OoT to be begin with, so additions don't super excite me. But that's me, not the game, and I'm sure it will be awesome for everyone who loves the original.

As for other titles on the 3DS, I guess I need to look again and pay attention to everything, not just titles that get a lot of press, and that is a mistake I've made. I'm sure the right title will come along eventually.

maese
638th Post

"Re(5):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Fri 17 Jun 05:56post reply

quote:

Edit: And I can't believe people are indifferent to OoT3D.

This man speaks the truth. We already have a pretty good game available for the 3DS, you know, and you all should be excited about that.

OK, jokes aside, OoT is an awesome piece of gaming art either in 3D, 4D or whatever. I might end up getting a 3DS just to play it again for the 8th time. And yes, I'm dead serious about this.

sfried
684th Post

"Re(5):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Fri 17 Jun 06:11post reply

quote:
Well I know it's not that popular of an opinion probably, but... for me it's the source material. I've never loved OoT to be begin with, so additions don't super excite me. But that's me, not the game, and I'm sure it will be awesome for everyone who loves the original.
Have you played Majora's Mask? Most people consider that game (including myself) to be the better, if not the best of the 3D Zeldas.

But I understand your sentiment with OoT. In fact, I found it quite easy and beat it 100% in 5 days straight, so maybe some people might be underwhelmed.

(Here's hoping for MM 3D with real-time 3-Day cycle or whatnot.)
quote:
OK, jokes aside, OoT is an awesome piece of gaming art either in 3D, 4D or whatever. I might end up getting a 3DS just to play it again for the 8th time. And yes, I'm dead serious about this.

I actually consider Ocarina second only to Majora's Mask. Everything that game did was leagues ahead of what other Zelda titles have done in the past. It was a complete mixup of the formula coupled by a real-time system that affected your progress, and made the side-quests an integral part of the game as opposed to just added fluff.

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks tried to apply a "central dungeon" of sorts, but it wasn't quite that great.

My hope is that Skyward Sword mixes its aerial HUB with Metroidvania-style dungeons that all have non-linear approaches. I've heard the E3 demo was definitely not guided and there were multiple approaches to getting to the end. In fact, I hope they really overhaul the dungeon formula that LttP started and make more off-shoots that are as experimental as Majora's Mask.

Oh my
35th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Fri 17 Jun 06:36post reply

quote:
I'm a little ashamed about the NGage, but it looked like it was going to be good... really it did... I swear

Yeah, it looked, you know a cell phone and a game system hahahaha. DAMN, i am courious. Dont tell me you got caught by that crappy, crystal dinamics game called pandemonium.

what?

Pollyanna
3057th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(4):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Fri 17 Jun 08:02post reply

quote:
It's just that somehow Sony has been marketing the Vita directly to me and the Nintendo has been marketing the 3DS directly to... I don't know, not me.

I'm just not a Nintendo fan. I like some of the games they put out (Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy, Mother), but they just don't "sing" to me. Mario kind of grosses me out. I'm sure plenty of people buy Nintendo systems because they don't want to miss out on Nintendo titles. Even if Nintendo doesn't launch a system with a big name title of theirs, there's a promise that one will come eventually.

So it makes sense that I'm not predisposed to buy their systems whereas someone else might, wait--

quote:

No, she's right. I'm just jealous. I act like I'm too cool for Nintendo when Nintendo is actually too cool for me.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

KTallguy
1331th Post

"Re(5):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Fri 17 Jun 11:11post reply

I really really want to like the 3DS too... and I am interested in OOT, as I haven't really played it before.

Maybe it's because I'm in a position where I play around with one every day, but it doesn't feel special to me anymore. You have things like region blocking that piss me off, the 3D gives me a headache after 10-15 minutes, the Select Home Start button thingie is weird and hard to press, battery life issues... I don't know, but there are a lot of things that bother me about the system.

I think I will eventually get one, but I would rather wait until a revision slims it down and fixes some of these issues. It's not a horrible system, but the NGP and its launch titles are a lot more enticing.

sfried
687th Post

"Re(6):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Fri 17 Jun 13:42post reply

quote:
I really really want to like the 3DS too... and I am interested in OOT, as I haven't really played it before.

Maybe it's because I'm in a position where I play around with one every day, but it doesn't feel special to me anymore. You have things like region blocking that piss me off, the 3D gives me a headache after 10-15 minutes, the Select Home Start button thingie is weird and hard to press, battery life issues...

I've never had a problem with the battery life, surprisingly. I admit the Start Home Select bar is too stiff, but I always thought the appeal of the system was carrying it around with you to see who you'd tag and what you'd collect out of it (such as Game Coin which can be used in-game).

As far as the selection goes, I think 3DS is steadily growing much like the DS when it initially debuted. In a very similar light it looked like the PSP would surpass it in support but around the time the Lite came out there were quite plenty seriously good titles that it had garnered.

KTallguy
1332th Post

"Re(7):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Fri 17 Jun 15:24post reply

My semi-indifference will fade away, as soon as all that software falls into place :)
There is plenty of potential with the device!

karasu99
661th Post

"Re(8):3DS Semi-In-Indifference" , posted Fri 17 Jun 23:13post reply

quote:
My semi-indifference will fade away, as soon as all that software falls into place :)
There is plenty of potential with the device!

Forget everything I said previously.

Mozex
436th Post

PSN: Mozex

Gold Customer

"Hooray virtual console" , posted Sat 18 Jun 00:09post reply

^^
Good call on the virtual console support for 3DS. It's the most exciting feature for me as well. The same can be said of the Wii U. 3DS should be easily capable of emulating any of the 8 and 16 bits systems.

quote:
In fact, I hope they really overhaul the dungeon formula that LttP started and make more off-shoots that are as experimental as Majora's Mask.

I need to point out that the dungeon formula in LttP was essentially the same thing as in tLoZ with the a few tiny changes.

I liked the addition of floors and holes. It was a good mechanic once I figured out I could actually fall in them. I disliked the obvious bombing locations. It reduced the exploration aspect and you didn't feel a sense of joy for discovering a new path.

Be kind to goblins.

karasu99
662th Post

"Re(6):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Sat 18 Jun 00:42post reply

quote:
Have you played Majora's Mask? Most people consider that game (including myself) to be the better, if not the best of the 3D Zeldas.

But I understand your sentiment with OoT. In fact, I found it quite easy and beat it 100% in 5 days straight, so maybe some people might be underwhelmed.

I completely forgot to respond to your post! I blame demon liquor.

My failings aside, yes, I have played Majora's Mask and I really REALLY enjoyed it.

And also yeah, you're right on target about OoT. It was the lack of difficulty that turned me off pretty much. I should explain that I only played it years after its release on the Gamecube, long enough for most of its innovation to have percolated through dozens of other games that I did play. So its impact and importance was pretty much blunted on me. Plus I was more of the LttP generation, and at the time the polys really turned me off.

I don't know, I think this whole thread was just a complex scheme to get myself excited over the 3DS. Maybe I'll try one out after all-- Donkey Kong aside.

Ishmael
4127th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(7):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Sat 18 Jun 03:38post reply

I wonder how the 3DS will be viewed a year or two from now. When the PSP was first released it was thought of only as a system for portable emulated games since any legit game would be spit out of the console thanks to a particularly funny defect. Now, however, the PSP seems to be a respected handheld with a good library of games. Will the 3DS find its place in the world or will the 3D trick go over as well as UMD movies did on the PSP?

karasu99
663th Post

"Re(8):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Sat 18 Jun 03:47post reply

quote:
I wonder how the 3DS will be viewed a year or two from now. When the PSP was first released it was thought of only as a system for portable emulated games since any legit game would be spit out of the console thanks to a particularly funny defect. Now, however, the PSP seems to be a respected handheld with a good library of games. Will the 3DS find its place in the world or will the 3D trick go over as well as UMD movies did on the PSP?

I would not be surprised if we start getting some 3DS games that don't use the 3D at all-- a lot like the touch screen was super-utilized in first generation DS games, followed by a bunch where it was there for a tiny part of the game, and then eventually where it was used where it was appropriate to use it (like for games based around the touch element).

Toxico
5360th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(8):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Sat 18 Jun 04:58post reply

quote:
When the PSP was first released it was thought of only as a system for portable emulated games since any legit game would be spit out of the console thanks to a particularly funny defect.

The true fun lied in attacking innocent bystanders with the UMDs.

This thread lacks something....... Wah, I meant something like this

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

Amakusa
874th Post

"Re(9):3DS Semi-Indifference" , posted Thu 23 Jun 06:59:post reply

quote:
I would not be surprised if we start getting some 3DS games that don't use the 3D at all-- a lot like the touch screen was super-utilized in first generation DS games, followed by a bunch where it was there for a tiny part of the game, and then eventually where it was used where it was appropriate to use it (like for games based around the touch element).

The 3D is completely unnecessary. The only thing 3D can do is make things more visually appealing.

Anyone developing for the DS already knows its hardware limitations and should be looking at the 3DS first and foremost as a DS with upped specs so they can push whatever their crappy product is a little further. Especially if the 3D is an afterthought (and it always will be). The thing seems to have the capabilities of a Wii in a handheld (currently restricted by the size of the carts).

If anything, I want to see a KOF on it, even if it'll never happen.

As for the 3DS itself, I only own SFIV and Samurai Warriors. I don't see myself buying anything else this year. I seriously play with the camera more since it makes an interesting conversational piece.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

[this message was edited by Amakusa on Thu 23 Jun 07:00]

sfried
689th Post

"Re(10):From indifference to joy... (OoT3D)" , posted Fri 24 Jun 10:52:post reply

quote:
The 3D is completely unnecessary. The only thing 3D can do is make things more visually appealing.

Anyone developing for the DS already knows its hardware limitations and should be looking at the 3DS first and foremost as a DS with upped specs so they can push whatever their crappy product is a little further. Especially if the 3D is an afterthought (and it always will be). The thing seems to have the capabilities of a Wii in a handheld (currently restricted by the size of the carts).

If anything, I want to see a KOF on it, even if it'll never happen.

As for the 3DS itself, I only own SFIV and Samurai Warriors. I don't see myself buying anything else this year. I seriously play with the camera more since it makes an interesting conversational piece.

I honestly believe the 3D could be put to good use. I'm playing Ocarina of Time 3D (and I strongly suggest you get it if you have a 3DS and don't have this game already) and 3D mode gives you something of a larger field of scope likely because of how the images from one and and the other cover slightly more left and more right perspectively. Along with the added perks of 3d (being able to judge distance, etc.), it's like a widescreen effect without the widescreen, and I don't think any game of the system gave the 3D justice until this title, because the depth is really deep, and you really feel like you're viewing something off the distance.

I also believe they demonstrated a few stages of that new Mario 3D game behind closed doors at E3 which had a level that was a homage to classic Zelda, completely played from a top-down viewing persepctive, and since it would be hard to judge if you're airborne or not I could see how the extra dimension comes into play.

Funny you mention KoF, because speaking of which, the 3DS would be the perfect opportunity to re-introduce Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu, given the the dynamic plane switching mechanic. Typicially they would depict characters as being on the background by shrinking the sprites a little and then elevating them off the plane. Now we can have sprites that occupy the same regional space constantly but still be able to distinguish if they're in the background or foreground.

It seems you belittle the DS given the lineup it has aquired over time. It too had a craptacular launch followed with a revision and some really good and interesting games (Kirby Canvas Curse, The World Ends With You). Given how most developers right now are more constrained by ideas, I do feel within time the 3D will be put to very substantial use.

[this message was edited by sfried on Fri 24 Jun 10:56]

Freeter
4538th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):From indifference to joy... (OoT" , posted Fri 24 Jun 12:20post reply

quote:
speaking of which, the 3DS would be the perfect opportunity to re-introduce Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu, given the the dynamic plane switching mechanic. Typicially they would depict characters as being on the background by shrinking the sprites a little and then elevating them off the plane. Now we can have sprites that occupy the same regional space constantly but still be able to distinguish if they're in the background or foreground.

Fatal Fury 3 would be an absolute 3D tour de force. KOing your opponent into the foreground would be even more satisfying with the added depth.

I'm surprised Sega isn't all over this thing yet. 3D After Burner and Space Harrier would be killer if done right.

sfried
690th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):From indifference to joy... (OoT" , posted Fri 24 Jun 12:59:post reply

quote:
Fatal Fury 3 would be an absolute 3D tour de force. KOing your opponent into the foreground would be even more satisfying with the added depth.

When I think about it, all of those background spriteworks in the game would look fantastic, especially that aquarium level (East Side Park).

[this message was edited by sfried on Fri 24 Jun 13:02]

nobinobita
943th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):From indifference to joy... (OoT" , posted Sat 25 Jun 01:23post reply

quote:
When I think about it, all of those background spriteworks in the game would look fantastic, especially that aquarium level (East Side Park).

I would love to see some 2d 3d games. The thought of parallax scrolling on the 3ds makes me wanna get one.

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2188th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):From indifference to joy... (OoT" , posted Sat 25 Jun 03:50post reply

quote:

I would love to see some 2d 3d games. The thought of parallax scrolling on the 3ds makes me wanna get one.

The first time you start cranking up the 3D effect on Excitebike is fairly magical.

karasu99
669th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):From indifference to joy... (OoT" , posted Sat 25 Jun 04:17post reply

quote:

The first time you start cranking up the 3D effect on Excitebike is fairly magical.

Yah, alright, these last few posts have made me realize some of the possibilities of the 3DS. Ah, I haven't played Excitebike in like a decade!

sfried
691th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):From indifference to joy... (OoT" , posted Sat 25 Jun 08:38:post reply

quote:
Yah, alright, these last few posts have made me realize some of the possibilities of the 3DS. Ah, I haven't played Excitebike in like a decade!

You see this guy on the left?

Once there was this forgotten game Nintendo cranked out for the ill-supported (though not as ill-supported as Vitual Boy) Super Scope called Battle Clash/Space Bazooka. An even more forgotten sequel was released only outside Japan called Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge. I'd want to see a new game in the same series using the gyro aiming and the 3D (seeing how I didn't have any trouble keeping the 3D effect while moving the system in OoT).

I could only imagine if they're reworking on old Virtual Boy classics like VB Wario Land and Teleroboxer. Considering the small lineup of games that system had, chosing which ones to convert shouldn't be an issue (Jack Bros. is a must, though).
quote:

Aside from the obvious Exciteback and Xevious, they guys at Renegade Kid are cranking out Mutant Mudds as a side-scrolling foreground/background shifting game instead of the original 3D platformer for DS concept.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 25 Jun 08:40]

Amakusa
875th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):From indifference to joy... (OoT" , posted Sat 25 Jun 09:05:post reply

quote:
It seems you belittle the DS given the lineup it has aquired over time. It too had a craptacular launch followed with a revision and some really good and interesting games (Kirby Canvas Curse, The World Ends With You). Given how most developers right now are more constrained by ideas, I do feel within time the 3D will be put to very substantial use.

I have no interest in playing The World Ends With You. I own Kirby's Canvas Curse. Of the DS library, I own at most 20-25 games lying around here and there, and I think five of those are Castlevanias and five of those are Dragon Quest games. Even from that portion alone you can tell in my library innovation is not required.

The DS, not even the 3DS, do not need to take advantage of everything the device has to offer. It just has to make good use of what it has and use that which makes sense. If that comes at the cost of being creative, so be it.

Pilotwings is pretty much the textbook example of how you can use the 3D effect wrong. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow was that one game I really felt they used the Stylus wrong.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

[this message was edited by Amakusa on Sat 25 Jun 09:10]

sfried
692th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):From indifference to joy... (OoT" , posted Sat 25 Jun 11:08:post reply

quote:
Pilotwings is pretty much the textbook example of how you can use the 3D effect wrong. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow was that one game I really felt they used the Stylus wrong.

But the followups did steamline those features (OoT3D, Ocrder of Ecclesia), while do utilizing the novel uses of the system in solid ways (3D, gyroscope look/aiming in OoT, second screen map and touch based menus in Order of Ecclesia) without hampering on the experience.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 25 Jun 11:18]

Variable Savior
478th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):From indifference to joy... (OoT" , posted Sun 26 Jun 09:39post reply

quote:
I have no interest in playing The World Ends With You...

The DS, not even the 3DS, do not need to take advantage of everything the device has to offer. It just has to make good use of what it has and use that which makes sense.

It's too bad you're not interested in TWEWY as it used the DS's various features (touch, drag, slash, mic) almost perfectly. Plus it really is a fantastic game. I'm actually still mad at the gaming community for ignoring TWEWY thus preventing a delicious sequel.

shame, gaming community... shame

Blood marks heaven's path