Toxico
5242th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: Toxic-Baron
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Random Thread "I'm no stalker" edition" , posted Fri 4 Feb 01:42:post reply

With 150 replies and extreme frustration over Demon Souls, I figured it was as good time as any to do attempt a clean slate and speak of something else.

Famitsu has some Queen's Gate details.... That page is obviously Not Safe For Work

Love Plus Arcade detais from Dengeki. The fact that the machine has parts for the player to grab greatly disturbs me.

More Disgaea 4 At Dengeki.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 4 Feb 01:51]

Replies:

karasu99
537th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Random Thread" , posted Fri 4 Feb 02:38post reply

quote:
Famitsu has some Queen's Gate details.... That page is obviously Not Safe For Work

For some reason I read the 'Perfect Knockdown' screen toward the bottom as 'Erotic Knockdown'. Perhaps I need to drink some more coffee.

I hesitate to post this here, because there actually little detail beyond the character designs (which I am also not really wild about, honestly), but hey-- new 2d fighter is incoming.

I'm realizing I really miss the days when a new 2d fighter was announced or shown in EGM or Gamefan or something and I could afford to ignore it because there were a bunch of other 2d fighters being released at the same time that looked better to me.

Digitalboy
728th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Random Thread" , posted Fri 4 Feb 05:15post reply

Random RANT:

I am sincerely glad that I stopped reading Marvel Comics because it had just adopted the multi-universe/dimension/whatever that DC always had before.

Aaannnd...Wizard - The Guide To Comics or whatever they cover now will halt publication of their awful magazine and going to digital just because no one buys their magazine anymore.

/[run_on_sentences]

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Toxico
5244th Post

"Re(3): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* edition" , posted Sat 5 Feb 11:43:post reply

Max Anarchy has a trailer already

Gal gun in game. I only bother due to the fast forwards goodness in the vids. I noticed that I have many "I only bother" with this game, I wonder if that's a good thing, or if I will end up meeting and unfortunate demise under stupid circumstances. This game reminds me of Stink Bomb, you can't go wrong with that.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sat 5 Feb 12:26]

Pollyanna
2996th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(4): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* edition" , posted Sat 5 Feb 19:57post reply

Did anyone else pick up Last Story? I haven't had the chance to play it a lot, but it's one of those games that's so much fun, I have to be forced to stop by outside forces. I think Mass Effect 2 was the last game like that I played. Actually...it reminds me a lot of Mass Effect 2.

RAAAANT

The fights have a really wonderful cinematic quality to them. Nothing is like "hit the enemy until it dies." If you're interested enough to read my ramblings, you've probably seen the trailers, and so you probably know that there's a heavy stealth/sniping element to the battles. One of the very early boss battles was especially interesting.

You're fighting a huge monster in a small room, with snipers picking you off from beyond your reach. Your mages can't get off any spells with the snipers harassing them and the big monster is chasing you relentlessly. You have to pick off the snipers while the rest of your party toils with the big thing, then climb up a platform, wait for the monster to come close, then do a special attack on its head that sends it hurtling face first into a wall. While it's stuck, your mages enchant your swords and you go to town on its ass until it pulls its head out and you start again.

They get more complicated than that, but it might be a bit bothersome to explain. The point is that the battles play out like a narrative without burdening you with any actual cinemas. Everything's in real-time, and you interact with your environment as well (blowing up platforms that snipers are standing on, knocking unsuspecting guards off of ledges, toppling pillars to crush giant monsters, hiding behind boxes, luring an enemy out, then ambushing them, etc...).

The main town is impressive as well. The character animations are really good and really diverse. There are two guys fighting each other, and people passing by will notice them and stop to watch. People are sitting and chatting, cooking, watering flowers, repairing walls, etc. You can hit your head on low-hanging signs, slip on a bunch of lemons that hit the ground, or shoot (!) banana peels at people to make them slide and fall. Its the most lively and interesting town I've seen in an RPG by a long shot.

I like classic RPGs too (I'm enjoying Criminal Girls on PSP right now as well), but I feel like "this is the direction RPGs should take." It has a bunch of fresh ideas and they all work wonderfully. The game really pulls you in and really propels you forward. It still has its downsides, though...
*The story, thus far, is super generic.
*The main character is lame.
*The soundtrack is good, but sub-par if you're expecting Uematsu's best.
*It suffers from some (expected) technical limitations.
*It's a bit easy. You have 6 "lives" in each battle, and although the solutions to the fights are clever, your party members solve the puzzles for you.
*They gave me an awesome dress to wear and no means to upgrade it.

This is neither a plus nor a minus, but the game has an excess of strangely beautiful men (with women's names). Even the middle-aged knight captain has gorgeous hair.

Just to end on a positive note, I like the voice direction as well. It sounds more like a Final Fantasy or Metal Gear dub... not quite as "anime" as most games (even if it still uses "big name" anime voice actors).

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
340th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* edition" , posted Sun 6 Feb 02:46post reply

But Nintendo isn't interested to give us a western release.....
I don't want another Zero....

The fact is: Xenoblade probabily will never be outside Japan. Arc Rise Fantasia will never be in pal territories. So, any chance to have Last Story AT LEAST in english?

chazumaru
728th Post

"Re(5): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* edition" , posted Sun 6 Feb 07:34:post reply

I am fifteen hours in, around Chapter 25.

I am surprised how much I enjoy it. It gets very good starting from the intrusion in the Boat.

The game is full of great ideas. All battles have a strategic element to them and some can even be avoided entirely if you think your actions through. The Boss Fights are especially memorable as they all require some sort of trick to be completed. Of course the first fights are explained quite openly, but I enjoyed struggling a bit later on as it would take some time to understand the exact trick which needed to be performed.

It seems obvious to me that the town is heavily inspired by the Assassin's Creed series. Besides Shenmue, I have never seen a Japanese game make so much efforts on one specific place. It feels much more natural than the neighbourhoods in RGG, or even the town in Grandia. I love the sidequests and how they unlock new cool features (did you find out how to swim in the river?). I really appreciate how the color customization system and the forging system are set up. The whole bowgun thing (i.e. how it is applied inside and outside combat) reminds me of Azel's lock-on system.

Regarding your negative points, I have some comments:

*The story, thus far, is super generic.
Rather than generic, I would say it feels awfully dated. It is a typical scenario from the SFC generation; it could have been a story written by Sakaguchi between FF4 and FF5. Some important plots elements are downright stupid by modern story-telling standards and require a black belt in suspension of disbelief.

At least, the game is neither pretentious (like FF13), nonsensical (like FF13), loud (like FF13) nor filled with annoying modern anime archetypes (like FF13 Tales or Star Ocean 4). Thanks to all these horrible plots and characters from the last eight to ten years, I have lowered my expectations so much that I am almost relieved to follow a simple story such as this one.

One positive element about the story is the local feel of the adventure. Unlike most RPGs, you do not travel around the world and collect visits of millenial shrines all over the world. One entire sidequest is spent surviving an ambush in a tavern infested with bandits. The stories sometimes remind me of the type of quest you would rather experience in a pen and paper RPG.

*The main character is lame.
Yes. And he is called Elza. What the hell.

Many nice tunes though; I sometimes whistle some by accident at work. Sure, it is probably not as memorable as Anata Wo Yurunasai. However the town theme variations are excellent, which is important since you listen to it for so long in the game.

*It suffers from some (expected) technical limitations.
By which you means PS1-style slowdowns. Sometimes I think it goes down below 15fps. However it is cool to see a game try to reach the limits of the hardware. As cute as Xenoblade was, it remained a glorified PS2 game technically. The Last Story almost feels like a HD game shoe-horned on the Wii, which is quite cool.

*It's a bit easy. You have 6 "lives" in each battle, and although the solutions to the fights are clever, your party members solve the puzzles for you.
I like the life blocks system (isn't it only five?). I take it as a similar approach to how SaGa works with LP and HP. What would have made the game much more challenging and maybe more intense would have been to only regain those lives at a save point or the inn, rather than after each fight. Then, losing one life block would have meant much more, especially for your comrades. Maybe this is how the NG+ works?

That means you are not so far in the game hohoho. Or maybe you have missed one specific character who could do that for you~

I was not expecting much from what I had seen of the game, but the long time allowed for polish has really paid off. I find the comparison with FF13 downright fascinating and I did not expect Sakaguchi and his new friends to have this kind of energy and ideas in them.

We can play some multiplayer next week if you want. It rewards players with a lot of interesting loot. However, don't try any of the Boss Battles until you have reached at least Level 20~25.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sun 6 Feb 07:38]

Pollyanna
2997th Post

"Re(6): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* edition" , posted Sun 6 Feb 08:03post reply

quote:
Of course the first fights are explained quite openly, but I enjoyed struggling a bit later on as it would take some time to understand the exact trick which needed to be performed.

Looking forward to it! The battles are certainly frantic, so trying to figure out what to do in the midst of that is really exciting. To me, seamlessly adding a puzzle element to a game is a sign of strong game design (Mario Galaxy is a good example of this.) I was sad that so few of the later battles in Xenoblade required much specific strategy, especially since a few of the early ones were a bit more cinematic.

quote:
It seems obvious to me that the town is heavily inspired by the Assassin's Creed series.

Well, it certainly reminds me of Italy. They seem to have stolen a bridge from Venice.

quote:
The Last Story almost feels like a HD game shoe-horned on the Wii, which is quite cool.

This is true. Unfortunately, I feel like it suffers even more than the average Wii game when it comes to looking bad on HD TVs. Still, I remember Sakaguchi talking about how they could do more things because they didn't have to worry about HD, so I'll take what I can get. Even if the frame rates drop like crazy, I enjoy the character animations a lot.

quote:
And he is called Elza. What the hell.

To go along with our Tasha and Jill. And Trista? Because "Tristan" is actually a man's name and that wouldn't do at all.

quote:
That means you are not so far in the game hohoho. Or maybe you have missed one specific character who could do that for you~

You just made my day.

Anyway, I'm still quite early in the game, so I haven't even considered online yet. With any luck, I'll spend most of the day playing like crazy, so maybe my opinions will be more "well rounded" after that.

PS: I think I'm in love with Manamia. She would make up for a game full of Elzas.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
2110th Post

"Re(6): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* edition" , posted Sun 6 Feb 09:07post reply

quote:
the town is very richly detailed

How does it compare to the major towns of FFXII? Those were very lovely, even though the bulk of the towns people were noninteractive.

Alternatively, how does it compare to Yakuza/RGG? My memories of Shenmue are fuzzy because most of them are lost in loading screens and the "don't bother knocking on random doors" thing.

Pollyanna
2998th Post

"Re(7): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* edition" , posted Tue 8 Feb 19:42post reply

Chaz:

Just beat

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Jill

End of Spoiler

That song was INCREDIBLE! Even if the scenario was a bit silly, that was one of the high points of the game for me. It can only go downhill from here, I'm afraid.

Manamia looks lovely in Kanan's dress. Are there any more special costumes? I have the dragon armor (thank you, haunted house). I'm tempted to upgrade it all the way, just to see how crazy it gets. Keeping the helmet on for everyone would certainly give the game a different flavor.

I learned how to dive a while back, but chickened out on the dungeon. Finished the first 2 rounds in the arena. Hope there's more!

quote:
the town is very richly detailed
How does it compare to the major towns of FFXII? Those were very lovely, even though the bulk of the towns people were noninteractive.

It's on a different level than FFXII. You can bump into people, listen in on conversations as well as engage in your own, trip people with banana peels, etc. Everyone seems to be doing something, from dancing to cooking to laundry. It's not just...totally amazing, where every townsperson has their own personality or backstory or whatever, but it's at least as impressive as Rabanastre in FFXII was when the game first came out. It's very lively. It feels like a real city.

It's really the only big area to "explore" in the game, though. All of the maps and scenarios are very focused. Not necessarily in a bad way, though...more like Mass Effect 2 than FFXIII.The game is short, but very rich.

The boss battles have continued to impress. I like how the game has a seamless narrative between dungeons, battles and cinemas. The story doesn't stop for the battle, the battle is part of the story. The clever ways you overcome the enemies reminds me of like...a shounen fight manga or something. That's where the game really shines. The worst boss battle in this game is better than the best in plenty of games. There are very few (if any) battles that resemble "random encounters".

As Chaz mentioned, the game really has a bunch of great ideas...but more than that, they all WORK. It's impressive that they were able to pull this off the first time when so many other games can't even get old ideas right, let alone incorporate new ones.

It's a shame that the story doesn't match the rest of the game in terms on ingenuity, but on the upside, the characters don't talk in circles, the cinemas are exciting, straight to the point and well-balanced with gameplay and even with a sappy romance, there's not a overabundance of melodrama.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
2112th Post

"Re(8): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* edition" , posted Wed 9 Feb 02:50post reply

quote:
city stuff

Do they also have day/night schedules like in... Ultima 7 or Radiata Stories?

Both of those games had tons of conversable NPCs in the cities that you could also fight/do other stuff to, and while I remember you didn't have the highest opinion of Radiata Stories (neither do I), I do remember quite enjoying shin kicking everybody in town and beating them up for XP.

chazumaru
729th Post

"Re(9): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* edition" , posted Wed 9 Feb 05:59post reply

>>The clever ways you overcome the enemies reminds me of like...a shounen fight manga or something.

That is a very good way to put it. (C'est ce qu'elles disent toutes.)

>>Do they also have day/night schedules like in... Ultima 7 or Radiata Stories?

Not exactly but you do visit the town at different times of the day.

>>The soundtrack is good, but sub-par if you're expecting Uematsu's best.

True.

Toxico
5248th Post

"Re(10): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* editio" , posted Thu 10 Feb 04:37post reply

Famitsu discloses more images about Zombie ga Gotoku. here and here. I'm glad to know that being surrounded by zombies and devious looking hostess does not prevent Kazuma from enjoying life as best as he should. Dengeki also does it's part by showing us where the true horror actually lies

quote:

>>The soundtrack is good, but sub-par if you're expecting Uematsu's best.

True.

mmcafe の なか で わたし が 一番 セクシー だと 思うん が (?)

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Digitalboy
729th Post

"Re(2):Re(10): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* " , posted Thu 10 Feb 10:35post reply

Could not...stop watching...
quote:
True.
mmcafe の なか で わたし が 一番 セクシー だと 思うん が (?)

I don't know how to live

Ishmael
4016th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(2):Re(10): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* " , posted Fri 11 Feb 02:17post reply

quote:
Famitsu discloses more images about Zombie ga Gotoku. here and here. I'm glad to know that being surrounded by zombies and devious looking hostess does not prevent Kazuma from enjoying life as best as he should. Dengeki also does it's part by showing us where the true horror actually lies

I like that RgG/Yakuza has gone from being a game series and is now a viable lifestyle choice.

With Killzone 3 coming out I'm once again reminded that the only thing that I like about those games is the groovy Kerberos looking designs on the bad guys. If I could play the game exclusively as those goons I would probably be a fan of the series. It seems Sony Japan feels the same way I do judging by their current ad campaign. The villians -as led by AV actress Noa Torigoe- are currently mopping the floor with the game's so-called hero faction. I, for one, welcome our comely new overlords.

Spoon
2116th Post

"Re(3):Re(10): Random Thread *I'm no stalker*" , posted Fri 11 Feb 03:14post reply

quote:
Kerberos

Yeah, the first things I think of when I see Killzone are German stormtroopers, followed by Jin-Roh.

Speaking of hard sci-fi aesthetics, have any of you played Dead Space or its recent sequel? The sci-fi setting and elements are very beautifully realized.

nobinobita
863th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Re(10): Random Thread *I'm no stalker*" , posted Fri 11 Feb 04:41post reply

With Killzone 3 coming out I'm once again reminded that the only thing that I like about those games is the groovy Kerberos looking designs on the bad guys. If I could play the game exclusively as those goons I would probably be a fan of the series. It seems Sony Japan feels the same way I do judging by their current ad campaign. The villians -as led by AV actress Noa Torigoe- are currently mopping the floor with the game's so-called hero faction. I, for one, welcome our comely new overlords.

I felt the same way you do. I'd rather be a cool helmeted Helgast guy than a generic bald army guy. But then I thought about it. It's a FPS, so it's actually better the way it is cos I don't have to look at my avatar and I get to look at (and shoot at) cool looking bad guys all the time.

www.art-eater.com

sfried
626th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Re(10): Random Thread *I'm no stalker*" , posted Fri 11 Feb 11:39post reply

I'm glad to hear more good news for some guy who made a game in his spare...wait, NIS America? NO I DON'T WANT CURLY BRACE HORSEY TORTURE SCENES...IN 3D!

GekigangerV
1677th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Re(10): Random Thread *I'm no stalker*" , posted Fri 11 Feb 14:52post reply

Tiger Mask is getting a live action film

Don't know how I feel about this. The Tiger Mask manga was over the top and if they try to copy that too closely it be a bit too silly.

hikarutilmitt
552th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Random Thread" , posted Sat 12 Feb 01:29post reply

quote:

For some reason I read the 'Perfect Knockdown' screen toward the bottom as 'Erotic Knockdown'. Perhaps I need to drink some more coffee.

It's more accurate, at the very least.

PSN: hikarutimitt
XBL: hikarutilmitt

mbisonhatclub
266th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Copper Customer

"Re(5): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* edition" , posted Sat 12 Feb 05:13post reply

quote:
So, it's just like the FFVII soundtrack then (☞゚∀゚)☞

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Toxico
5252th Post

"Re(6): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* edition" , posted Mon 14 Feb 10:46:post reply

Dengeki offers some details on the well known BL epic adventure "el Shaddai". Aren't those pics from the last public exposure of the game and thus are almost a year old?

Also, To aru Majutsu no Index is the next victim on Lucent Heart's list. Also according to Dengeki. 不幸 だ

Lastly, a final unimportant report before Disgaea 4 launch date. Looking at article n°6 ( 第6報 ), it would seem that they have censored the torture room. The game isn't even out and there is already a Cameo list about it, though the list lacks the ice spell (it has the annoying semen needing brat from Rotte no Omocha).

ほう, Nippon Ichi Stocks increase their value. Related details

quote:
Disgaea making it to 200,000 copies sold would be baffling. No pun intended but I don't buy it.

I also believe this to be silly and unrealistic. Regardless of, the only thing we can do right now is greet with an malicious smile the far from expected actual formal notice about the actual units sold.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Mon 14 Feb 18:34]

chazumaru
736th Post

"Koihime" , posted Mon 14 Feb 17:50:post reply

quote:

ほう, Nippon Ichi Stocks increase their value. Related details

Ummm... Don't rush to buy their stock just yet. Also Disgaea making it to 200,000 copies sold would be baffling. No pun intended but I don't buy it.

Koihime's official website is online, although there is nothing yet:
http://koihi.me/

Regarding the culprits...

RCI's official website:
http://www.rci-trade.com/

Annex's official website:
http://www.annex-am.jp/service/video-game

BaseSon's official website (not guaranteed worksafe beyond this link):
http://baseson.nexton-net.jp/

Rain Entertainment's Wikipedia page:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/レインエンターテイメント

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Mon 14 Feb 23:00]

Ishmael
4017th Post

"Re(7): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* edition" , posted Tue 15 Feb 00:38post reply

quote:
Lastly, a final unimportant report before Disgaea 4 launch date. Looking at article n°6 ( 第6報 ), it would seem that they have censored the torture room. The game isn't even out and there is already a Cameo list about it, though the list lacks the ice spell (it has the annoying semen needing brat from Rotte no Omocha).

Part of me has intense disgust for outside forces saying what can and can't be done in the arts. But another part of me feels that Disgaea should not be indulging the darker parts of their fandom so having some common sense imposed on the game isn't the worst thing that could happen. I'm conflicted.

Then again, Nippon Ichi probably isn't bothering to get permission for those cameos. If they are going to be that punk rock about it they should put whatever they want into Disgaea 4, current Tokyo laws be damned. Or does their master plan include releasing an uncensord international version six months after the initial release?

Ishmael
4018th Post

"Re(8): Random Thread *I'm a stalker* edition" , posted Tue 15 Feb 05:29post reply

Double post 'cause that's what us stalkers do.

Arcana Heart 3 has been confirmed for NA release via PSN.

Toxico
5252th Post

"Re(8): Random Thread *I'm no stalker* edition" , posted Tue 15 Feb 07:00post reply

quote:

Then again, Nippon Ichi probably isn't bothering to get permission for those cameos. If they are going to be that punk rock about it they should put whatever they want into Disgaea 4, current Tokyo laws be damned. Or does their master plan include releasing an uncensord international version six months after the initial release?

Upon further stalk-erm, investigation, I noticed that the cameos are actually drawn by the artist that are in charge of the art from their sources, as well as noticing that at least half of them come from the Dengeki Bunko line up. In fact Dengeki Plastation was heavily advertising the cameos in their site. I don't need(?) to search through people's garbage in order to realize the relationship between Bunko and Portable; then again quoting the US wiki using that line just shows that I'm ill minded.

I don't know is exactly the relationship has Nippon Ichi and Dengeki have under the table, but something tells me that unless I want to see something steamy and slimy I better not approach that alley.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Abster
367th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9): Random Thread *I'm a stalker* edition" , posted Tue 15 Feb 11:29:post reply

quote:

It'd be crazy if this didn't get a 360 US release. Aksys has been a good company so far so I trust this is just the start for this.

Edit: And the worst is confirmed.

http://www.aksysgames.com/forums/topic/1082/page/3#post-15780

Way to shoot yourself in the foot, whether it be Aksys or simply Microsoft wanting to shit on gamers who don't care about eastern themed games.

[this message was edited by Abster on Fri 18 Feb 20:20]

Professor
2949th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10): Random Thread *I'm a stalker* edition" , posted Wed 16 Feb 23:24post reply

quote:

In another Examu news, first trailer of Aquapazza.

Digitalboy
730th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):*I'm a stalking you right now*" , posted Fri 18 Feb 05:28post reply

Random Rant:
An associate of mine and an inactive Cafe board member said this to me:

Samurai Spirits/Shodown is not an intellectual property of SNK Playmore.

Mind you, he is an avid fighters fanatic just like anyone else on this board.

He is an idiot.

[/RANT]
quote:

In another Examu news, first trailer of Aquapazza.

I don't know how to live

Evenor
749th Post

PSN: missantroop

"Re(3):Re(10):dead Island" , posted Fri 18 Feb 09:23post reply

I saw this trailer today and it made me feel like

Later I found out the game will be from a first person perspective

Either way I think it looks great!

DEAD ISLAND

drink from me and live forever

Ishmael
4024th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):dead Island" , posted Fri 18 Feb 23:40post reply

quote:

DEAD ISLAND

The concept has promise, but first person zombie grappling?

Keeping with the tropical island theme, Sega has unveiled the new game Let's Go Island 3D. The object seems to be that you have to save a couple of haoles by shooting fish and playing golf but that's not the important part. What I found interesting was that the game is using technologically advanced 3D but the graphics look like they are straight out of Get Bass. Or is this a sequel to that Sega shooter where you hit frogs with an oar so they wanted to keep a similar look for the game?

Digitalboy
731th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):dead Island" , posted Sat 19 Feb 03:13post reply

HA!
quote:
haoles

I don't know how to live

badoor
168th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Hard Corps: Uprising" , posted Sat 19 Feb 11:31:post reply

quote:

DEAD ISLAND

Guess what. They are gonna make a movie out of it.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/wolfman-and-mummy-producer-sean-daniel-buys-rights-to-zombie-game-dead-island

3 Days, 3 DAYS! The trailer was just up for 3 FRIGGIN DAYS and already people are planing to make a movie out of it. WHAT THE HELL!
quote:

Keeping with the tropical island theme, Sega has unveiled the new game Let's Go Island 3D. The object seems to be that you have to save a couple of haoles by shooting fish and playing golf but that's not the important part. What I found interesting was that the game is using technologically advanced 3D but the graphics look like they are straight out of Get Bass. Or is this a sequel to that Sega shooter where you hit frogs with an oar so they wanted to keep a similar look for the game?

I remember playing the first one, Let's Go Jungle, to completion (You do this a lot when you have a younger brother who purchase WAY to many tokens). Best thing about it is that the awesome ending credits music were sung by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi of DAYTONAAAAAAAAA LET'S GO AWAY fame.

Edit: I bought Hard Corps: Uprising this week and at first I was a little underwhelmed at it. But by playing more of Rising mode and seeing more levels I think I'm now really impressed by it. I like that this is as much of an Arc System Works game as it is a contra game. The music is standard Daisuke Ishiwatari and the game has frigging Air Dashing and Bullet reflecting. Usually with these sequels the developer tends to try to follow the older games much more stylistically and gameplay wise such as the case Contra 4. But here, ASW just brings out all their GG and BB looks and sounds and infuse them to contra. The 2D art is great too. Strangely, both this and Contra 4 were made by specialized 2D art developers.

[this message was edited by badoor on Sat 19 Feb 15:00]

Gojira
2706th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(5):Re(10):Hard Corps: Uprising" , posted Sun 20 Feb 11:25post reply

Yeah, Contra:HCU is quite fun, and even though I personally hate ASW their style works well here, especially when scaled down like this. I also like that if you enter the Konami code on the load screen for stage one, you get a version of the classic Contra stage 1 theme.

The difficulty is hard but not brutal, which is fine, but combined with the unskippable scripted scenes it tends to be a bit annoying to explore the ins and outs of each stage. At least they're short. Also the English voices that frequently pop up are hilariously bad, but it's also endearing as it gives the game a sort of 90's arcade aesthetic. If this was standing up in one of my favorite noisy arcade haunts 10 years ago I would definitely have shoved in some credits.

I'm let down by the DLC so far though. I tried the ninja girl (Sayuri I think?), but she only has a sword and doesn't seem to use any of the weapon powerups. She has more health, can do faster short-range attacks and charges up a full-screen attack, but I still kind of feel like I wasted 200 points on an incomplete character.

Spoon
2121th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Hard Corps: Uprising" , posted Sun 20 Feb 16:25post reply

quote:
contra

paging Red Falcon

badoor
168th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Hard Corps: Uprising" , posted Sun 20 Feb 23:25post reply

Snake. Is that you? Snake? SNAAAAAAKE!

Grave
1358th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Re(10):Hard Corps: Uprising" , posted Mon 21 Feb 06:26post reply

quote:
I remember playing the first one, Let's Go Jungle, to completion (You do this a lot when you have a younger brother who purchase WAY to many tokens). Best thing about it is that the awesome ending credits music were sung by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi of DAYTONAAAAAAAAA LET'S GO AWAY fame.

No! I played a lot of that game but never finished it. I would have loved to hear that, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi is the best. They had that at Good Time Emporium in Somerville, an excellent place to get loaded and play Derby Owners Club, or Afterburner Climax, or laser tag, or ride go-karts drunk... Sad. I miss that place.

I'm looking forward to trying HCU but the 360 d-pad is a dealbreaker for me and for whatever reason the PSN version isn't due until next month? It's not like I don't have enough to play right now but I hate when they stagger releases like that.

sfried
632th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Singer of GAME OVER YEAAAAHHH!!!" , posted Mon 21 Feb 12:24:post reply

quote:
Speaking of Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Spelunker-sensei OP and ED theme (the latter having nothing to do with Mitsuyoshi-san. His "live performance" at some party. And his famous Street Fighter tribute song, all for the sake of acknowledgment.

[this message was edited by sfried on Mon 21 Feb 12:26]

chazumaru
743th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Singer of GAME OVER YEAAAAHHH!!!" , posted Mon 21 Feb 23:48post reply

quote:
His "live performance" at some party.

Heh. There is (at least) one MMC forum member appearing in that video.

Maou
2157th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Singer of GAME OVER YEAAAAHHH!!!" , posted Tue 22 Feb 10:58post reply

quote:
His "live performance" at some party.

Heh. There is (at least) one MMC forum member appearing in that video.

HMM! Is that Brandon back there? Rogers for .05 seconds doesn't count. By divine cooincidence, I was just singing the Daytona song yesterday after seeing a news article about the real Daytona 500 or something. Just makes me want to (virtually) drive.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

chazumaru
744th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Singer of GAME OVER YEAAAAHHH!!!" , posted Tue 22 Feb 16:40post reply

You are right! There is Brandon too! This video is like a KOF'96 stage!

karasu99
555th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Re(10):Hard Corps: Uprising" , posted Wed 23 Feb 02:35post reply

quote:
Yeah, Contra:HCU is quite fun

I love love love this game! It looks incredible, the styling of the characters is great, the music (don't recall who it's by) is perfect both for Arcsys and for the Contra series itself, the bad guys remind me of Treasure villains for some reason, the anime intro was enjoyable and exciting, and rising mode makes playing it over and over even more enjoyable. Plus, the difficulty level is really well tuned. This last is especially notable when viewed against Contra 4, which to me had a strangely adjusted difficulty.

I played this for about 5 hours last night-- longer than I've played a game in one sitting for quite a while, making it a much better value for around twenty bucks than games like MvC3, which was three times as expensive.

Also, in terms of the DLC characters, I got the idea that Sayuki is meant to be the 'hard' character (since I did not last very long with her) and Harley is meant to be the 'easy' character (since I stole the game's lunch with him). So maybe that is the point of Sayuki. I don't know.

Gojira
2709th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Hard Corps: Uprising" , posted Wed 23 Feb 03:25post reply

quote:

Also, in terms of the DLC characters, I got the idea that Sayuki is meant to be the 'hard' character (since I did not last very long with her) and Harley is meant to be the 'easy' character (since I stole the game's lunch with him). So maybe that is the point of Sayuki. I don't know.

Looking at it that way makes sense, but I wish the DLC description had at least touched on this. Oh well.

Toxico
5258th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):" , posted Wed 23 Feb 04:07:post reply

-あ!?!

ああ????

A- I don't know what Spelunker Sensei is, but that trailer has me sold.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 23 Feb 04:18]

Ishmael
4026th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):" , posted Thu 24 Feb 05:52post reply

quote:
-あ!?!

ああ????

A- I don't know what Spelunker Sensei is, but that trailer has me sold.

ArcSys gives the fans what they want! The fans also want Spelunker Sensei but they don't know it yet.

More information about Anarchy Reigns has surfaced. The more I see of this game the more I am reminded of that Spawn third person shooter Capcom put out. Perhaps it's all those chains wrapped around the characters' ankles and wrists. Maybe it's because I didn't spend much time playing Mad World but I can't tell if this series is a parody or celebration of that aesthetic.

badoor
170th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):" , posted Thu 24 Feb 06:41post reply

quote:

More information about Anarchy Reigns has surfaced. The more I see of this game the more I am reminded of that Spawn third person shooter Capcom put out. Perhaps it's all those chains wrapped around the characters' ankles and wrists. Maybe it's because I didn't spend much time playing Mad World but I can't tell if this series is a parody or celebration of that aesthetic.

Neither have I. I just got bored with it and then went to finish up House of the Dead: Cussing Overkill in co-op. Now thats a crazy ass parody game.

I'm wondering since you also play as Jack here whether it takes place as after MadWorld or before. The article mentions that he USED to smoke and Jack did smoke in MadWorld so maybe its after that. Or maybe its a Smash Bro style non-canon story. Whatever, a God Hand style brawler with multiplayer is good enough in my book.

nobinobita
870th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):" , posted Thu 24 Feb 07:28post reply

quote:
Maybe it's because I didn't spend much time playing Mad World but I can't tell if this series is a parody or celebration of that aesthetic.

It's definitely a tongue in cheek celebration of that meat, grim and chains aesthetic. Nothing condescending or mean about it though. Looks great! (I also totally got a Dreamcast Spawn vibe from it)

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2126th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):" , posted Thu 24 Feb 09:11post reply

quote:
(I also totally got a Dreamcast Spawn vibe from it)

The Spawn game was even better on arcade cabinets, where the performance didn't die horribly and everybody got much more screen space!

Grave
1360th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):" , posted Thu 24 Feb 10:07post reply

quote:
The Spawn game was even better on arcade cabinets, where the performance didn't die horribly and everybody got much more screen space!

RIP IT UP
God I loved that game! I know we'll never see it again, but I'd love for it to get rereleased on something new with netplay... oh well. Since that's just plain ridiculous, I'll keep hoping for online Power Stone 1. Slightly less absurd!

Badoor
171th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):" , posted Thu 24 Feb 10:37post reply

quote:

RIP IT UP
God I loved that game! I know we'll never see it again, but I'd love for it to get rereleased on something new with netplay... oh well. Since that's just plain ridiculous, I'll keep hoping for online Power Stone 1. Slightly less absurd!

I distinctly remember not getting that game because of Gamespots review of 5.6. But man this looks really awesome, like an even more 3 dimensionally expanded power stone. Damn you early 2000s me for being overly obedient to the opinions of the newly discovered world of Internet videogame sites.

Badoor
172th Post

Regular Customer

"Ono saying crazy things again edition" , posted Thu 24 Feb 19:46post reply

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/24/no_home_super_sfiv_ae/

Sad news for all Hakan fans and shoto haters. This still doesn't mean that the all the new characters won't appear in the game as DLC. What's baffling about this comment is that Ono basically says that the Arcade edition is purposely less balanced than the home version to enhance the community & competitive spirit, what the hell does that mean?

chazumaru
746th Post

"Re(1):Ono saying crazy things again edition" , posted Thu 24 Feb 22:42post reply

The Iwata Asks Ono is very good. Entertaining as expected, but also quite insightful. By far the best of all third party Iwata interviews. I am still a bit perplexed that Ono did not even bother to wear a jacket.

TheRedKnight
298th Post

PSN: no
XBL: no
Wii: no

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Ono saying crazy things again edition" , posted Thu 24 Feb 22:52post reply

quote:
I am still a bit perplexed that Ono did not even bother to wear a jacket.

He wanted his head to appear larger.

THE LEGEND OF THE STRONGEST FIGHTING LORD OF ALL TIME!

Gojira
2710th Post

"Re(1):Ono saying crazy things again edition" , posted Fri 25 Feb 03:54post reply

quote:

Sad news for all Hakan fans and shoto haters. This still doesn't mean that the all the new characters won't appear in the game as DLC. What's baffling about this comment is that Ono basically says that the Arcade edition is purposely less balanced than the home version to enhance the community & competitive spirit, what the hell does that mean?

And to people who have quoted this interview today, Ono is saying "don't worry" on his Twitter.

You have to remember, it's taboo for a company to talk about console plans for an arcade game while it's still active in arcades. When Oni and KOROSU Ryu are released officially, maybe a week or two after that we'll get some kind of word on console plans.

In slightly related news, people have also been tweeting about SSF4 PC and Ono's not denying it anymore.

Toxico
5258th Post

"Re(2):Ono saying crazy things again edition" , posted Fri 25 Feb 04:35post reply

One of my slaves kindly pointed this out : Catherine easily oversells the other titles released this month. Even the Xbald version easily achieves this.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Ishmael
4027th Post

"Re(1):Ono saying crazy things again edition" , posted Fri 25 Feb 04:51post reply

quote:

Yeah, that comment about not bringing AE home is just so much misdirection. The bit about balance issues, however, is more interesting. I'm not certain I fully understand the reasoning but hasn't the idea of making some characters better than others been around for a long time? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SNK make certain characters such as Iori were intentionally powerful? Is the idea to create an initial tier list so people would have to devise strategies to deal with the early favorites? If people have to think about how to work around a character they are thinking about their character and the game as a whole? I don't know, but that certainly seems to be happening with all the anti-Sentinel strategies that have been popping up when discussing MvC3.

Baines
275th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Ono saying crazy things again edition" , posted Fri 25 Feb 12:41post reply

quote:
What's baffling about this comment is that Ono basically says that the Arcade edition is purposely less balanced than the home version to enhance the community & competitive spirit, what the hell does that mean?

Ono believes fighters with unbalanced characters are more interesting than those with balanced characters. AE characters were intentionally made unbalanced for that reason.

People on fighting forums have voiced similar opinions, that unbalanced fighting games are better than balanced ones, so it isn't exactly an uncommon thought.

Loona
381th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Ono saying crazy things again edition" , posted Fri 25 Feb 21:32post reply

quote:
What's baffling about this comment is that Ono basically says that the Arcade edition is purposely less balanced than the home version to enhance the community & competitive spirit, what the hell does that mean?

Ono believes fighters with unbalanced characters are more interesting than those with balanced characters. AE characters were intentionally made unbalanced for that reason.

People on fighting forums have voiced similar opinions, that unbalanced fighting games are better than balanced ones, so it isn't exactly an uncommon thought.

This intrigues me quite a bit... let's try and come up with a pros and cons list:

Pros:
- An unbalanced competitive environment might create a wish for a new, more balanced version of th game -> more business in the near future; it wasn't that long ago that the GG games got away with several updated re-releases with a few tweaks and maybe a new character or 2 two each, but I'm not that familiar with that series' competitive environment

- playing up the relevance or certain characters - for merchandise purposes I guess it could work in some cases, but really, what company would set out to make a one-of-many character like Sentinel its focus, when there are more interesting individuals in their game? There ar, however, cases like Juri, which was made easy to use (certainly much easier than Hakan), and were focused on a lot in promotional material...

Cons:

- a competitive environment that degenerates easily into everyone picking the same character(s) - less of an issue in team-based games, sense there's still room for variety once the major threat character is dealt with, but things can get repetitive easily

- all the work the devs put into the many other characters gets disregarded by the players, as they gravitate into the highest tier guy(s) - makes them less interesting to bother with sequels or reusing the least-used characters n future games

- players who focus on the less powerful character basicallysee their effort wasted as they're creamed by "play to win" crowd that only picks and masters top tiers - makes the game less fun and less likely to get more people competing.

Maybe there's more than this, but still seems like a bad idea...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

chazumaru
748th Post

"Re(3):Ono saying crazy things again edition" , posted Fri 25 Feb 22:50post reply

Honestly, before wasting my breath and some grey cells on this quote, I would wait for a more dependable source than Anoop/Andriasang, who has been guilty of several mistranslations from Japanese to English in the past (famous example).

Baines
277th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Ono saying crazy things again edition" , posted Sat 26 Feb 05:06:post reply

quote:
Maybe there's more than this, but still seems like a bad idea...

I have my own theory, but first the arguments I can remember hearing...

1) The more balanced characters are, the more identical they are, and the more boring the game becomes. The less the concern for balance, the wilder the design can get, and the more entertaining the game can be.

2) You mentioned relevance of characters, and for better or worse, that is an excuse that gets used. Both gamers and designers can believe that "powerful" characters need to be on the stronger side of the roster and "weak" characters should be on the weak side. There are both gamers and designers that want Dan to be one of the weaker characters in Street Fighter, because story-wise and concept-wise he is supposed to be weak. And they want Gouki/Akuma to be strong.

3) Not a legitimate reason, but rather a justification, there is sometimes the claim that weaker characters have the countering advantage of unfamiliarity. Basically, that because fewer people will want to play as them, people will have less experience fighting against them.

4) Another that is more justification than reason is the claim that people will be driven to explore other characters more in order to counter the strong characters. In a best case scenario, someone finds something that can complete reshape character rankings. And that can breath new life into the game as a whole. At least that is what some will argue as an excuse against balanced characters.

5) Some people like to play the underdog, and an unbalanced roster helps them choose as much as it does people who want an advantage. Again, not really a good reason to aim for unbalanced, but it is something that people have said. It pretty much depends on the idea that upon faced with a balanced roster, both the people who want an advantage and those who want a challenge will walk away to go play a different game.

6) Unbalanced characters lead to underdog victory stories, which can generate interest. It can also lead to grudges against the strong characters, and the people who use them. It can help engineer rivalries and help establish players as known figures that others might want to face or emulate, again generating continued interest in the game.

But I think it mostly comes down to "Most people want an advantage." People like to win, and overpowered characters are popular. People like to feel strong. Yes, you end up with most people playing the overpowered characters, which does a fair job of negating such advantages, but human nature still holds. Plus, you still have that advantage over everyone else that doesn't play an overpowered character.

[this message was edited by Baines on Sat 26 Feb 05:14]

Toxico
5260th Post

"Yakuza" , posted Sat 26 Feb 17:06post reply

I'm really confused about this. Initially they said that they'll be cutting a lot of content, but later they have been with this story of a 100% localization (the exact opposite of Yakuza 3, which promised a 100% content at first and didn't delivered in the end).

What's surprising is that they are keeping that story even when the game is soon to come out; Can I possible have a better reminder that I'm completely broke?

In related news, Catherine doesn't look hot enough for western audiences. What Atlus saying now and has been doing since long ago to~~~~tally doesn't match at all, it might seems that right now they are going to just pull off a mean, nasty move.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

sfried
633th Post

"Re(1):Radiant Historia" , posted Sat 26 Feb 17:15post reply

quote:

In related news, Catherine doesn't look hot enough for western audiences. What Atlus saying now and has been doing since long ago to~~~~tally doesn't match at all, it might seems that right now they are going to just pull off a mean, nasty move.

But...but they hinted at it during their Radiant Historia U-Stream playthrough....

Speaking of Radiant Historia, I am immensly enjoying it right now.

Nobinobita
873th Post

"I want Catherine (and Katherine!)" , posted Sat 26 Feb 19:22:post reply

I'm glad the game's doing so well. I feel like maybe this is part of their marketing plan, to drum up demand. That or I'm grasping at straws. I really want this game! It's got a comfortable "mature" or "adult" sensibility to it. The trailers make it feel like a Murakami novel or a Polanski film. I'm excited to see that paired up with very classic, brutally punishing arcade gameplay. The characters in the game (and the target audience) are approaching their thirties, so they presumably remember arcade games like that. It also works as a nice metaphor for relationships. Punishing, costly, repetitive, but also addictive and rewarding when you win.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Sat 26 Feb 19:24]

chazumaru
750th Post

"Re(1):I want Catherine (and Katherine!)" , posted Sat 26 Feb 23:13:post reply

Yes right they made a 360 version just for fun. This is the least credible American lie since "we know there are WMD in Irak" and "Sandra Bullock is a good actress".

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sat 26 Feb 23:14]

Spoon
2127th Post

"Re(2):I want Catherine (and Katherine!)" , posted Sun 27 Feb 04:37post reply

Aquapazza is one of the games in this year's SBO.

There are no words.

Nobinobita
873th Post

"Re(2):I want Catherine (and Katherine!)" , posted Sun 27 Feb 06:46post reply

quote:
Yes right they made a 360 version just for fun. This is the least credible American lie since "we know there are WMD in Irak" and "Sandra Bullock is a good actress".

Very acute observation. I'll start filling up my piggy bank now.

www.art-eater.com

Ishmael
4028th Post

"Re(1):I want Catherine (and Katherine!)" , posted Sun 27 Feb 10:28post reply

quote:
I'm glad the game's doing so well. I feel like maybe this is part of their marketing plan, to drum up demand. That or I'm grasping at straws. I really want this game! It's got a comfortable "mature" or "adult" sensibility to it. The trailers make it feel like a Murakami novel or a Polanski film. I'm excited to see that paired up with very classic, brutally punishing arcade gameplay. The characters in the game (and the target audience) are approaching their thirties, so they presumably remember arcade games like that. It also works as a nice metaphor for relationships. Punishing, costly, repetitive, but also addictive and rewarding when you win.

Chazumaru is undoubtedly right in that Cathy will eventually make it out of Japan. But before it does I do hope they add more of a sliding scale to the difficulty. Making Catherine into Sexy Lode Runner was unexpected but making it tough as nails seems like a mistake to me. The presentation of Catherine feels very new and different. For people who have grown up playing videogames Catherine finally looked like an opportunity to play a mainstream game that was going down a route that had previously been unexplored. Instead, early reports are that Catherine is embracing every repetitive, frustrating, OCD habit that have been the hallmark of the worst videogames since the beginning of the industry. What I want out of a relationship is the chance to experience things I could not alone. I hope I'm wrong but I'm worried that Catherine is instead going to be a demanding, dysfunctional pain in the neck.

KTallguy
1306th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

"Re(2):I want Catherine (and Katherine!)" , posted Sun 27 Feb 12:25post reply

Is easy mode still hard? Or maybe boringly easy? Will the game be like Deadly Premonition...basically you play it on Easy or not at all?

I didn't find the demo too hard but my friend said they pull out all the stops in the full version.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Maou
2160th Post

"real-life Juri" , posted Sun 27 Feb 13:51:post reply

quote:
There ar, however, cases like Juri, which was made easy to use (certainly much easier than Hakan), and were focused on a lot in promotional material...
Actually, the most important SSFIV development lately is that I just realized that Juri is basically a slightly more evil looking version of superstar singer Lee Jung Hyun from back during high school. The resemblance is uncanny when "Bakkwo" starts.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 27 Feb 14:32]

Toxico
5262th Post

"Re(3):I want Catherine (and Katherine!)" , posted Sun 27 Feb 14:24post reply

quote:
Is easy mode still hard? Or maybe boringly easy? Will the game be like Deadly Premonition...basically you play it on Easy or not at all?

I didn't find the demo too hard but my friend said they pull out all the stops in the full version.

!!!

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Nobinobita
874th Post

"Re(1):real-life Juri" , posted Mon 28 Feb 01:55post reply

quote:
There ar, however, cases like Juri, which was made easy to use (certainly much easier than Hakan), and were focused on a lot in promotional material... Actually, the most important SSFIV development lately is that I just realized that Juri is basically a slightly more evil looking version of superstar singer Lee Jung Hyun from back during high school. The resemblance is uncanny when "Bakkwo" starts.

I always thought Juri was based off of Chingmy Yau's Chun Li parody character from Future Cops.

www.art-eater.com

Toxico
5266th Post

"Re(2):I want Catherine (and Katherine!)" , posted Tue 1 Mar 06:16:post reply

quote:

Tche. My buta-san is going to heaven (?) totally wrapped in sheepmen nightmares.

Queen's gate includes Wonder Momo, finally something good from that game. Lili is going to be Voice by Rina Sato (though, that's probably not going to translate to the tekken games, unless Sato can speak french without Engrish it to hell (yeah, like that's possible).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 1 Mar 09:00]

shindekudasai
386th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):real-life Juri" , posted Tue 1 Mar 09:17post reply

quote:
Juri is basically a slightly more evil looking version of superstar singer Lee Jung Hyun from back during high school. The resemblance is uncanny when "Bakkwo" starts.

Hey, I remember that song from DDR 3rd Mix. Nice to know that she sounds good live, too. And that she's hot.
Okay fandom, where's that Juri Bakkwo AMV at?

chazumaru
750th Post

"Re(3):I want Catherine (and Katherine!)" , posted Tue 1 Mar 21:35post reply

Confirmed here. Photoshop-induced drool there.

Loona
382th Post

Silver Customer

"Athena and Momo's Excellent Adventure (nope)" , posted Wed 2 Mar 00:56post reply

quote:
Queen's gate includes Wonder Momo, finally something good from that game.

I had to look that one up, and seeing her original game's setting and whom else is in Queen's Gate, I can't help but think she'd make a great duo with SNK's Athena, but afaik there's no Queen's Blade/Gate book with her, nor have there been screenshots of her so far... I wonder if this'll succeed well enough for a sequel with more borrowed characters.
I really wish it could make it without the forced near-nudity though...
Speaking of which, it's nice to see SC's Ivy is in there too now.

BTW, other than this game, Cross Edge, the Samurai Spirits RPG games (that chapter split by console was a bit odd/unfortunate), KOF Kyo and debatably Namco Vs Capcom, are there any other RPGs that use fighting game characters in them?

The concept kinda interests me - move lists and combos come and go with each game, but a format other than 1-on-1 fighting has a way to preserve more "timeless" (for lack of a better word) aspects of a character.

Professor
2959th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Evo vs Godsgarden" , posted Wed 2 Mar 01:07:post reply

How did they end up picking this place as the venue. interior

This location was actually covered in GameCenterCX a while back.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 2 Mar 01:42]

karasu99
558th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Evo vs Godsgarden" , posted Wed 2 Mar 03:06post reply

quote:
How did they end up picking this place as the venue. interior

Well... it's gorgeous! I love especially the overall look of the place!

chazumaru
751th Post

"Re(1):Athena and Momo's Excellent Adventure (" , posted Wed 2 Mar 09:32post reply

quote:
BTW, other than this game, Cross Edge, the Samurai Spirits RPG games (that chapter split by console was a bit odd/unfortunate), KOF Kyo and debatably Namco Vs Capcom, are there any other RPGs that use fighting game characters in them?

I assume we put aside the reverse situation (such as Tengai Makyou Shinden or Dissidia) and licenses which have been adapted both as fighting games and RPG (DBZ). Would you count the Nakoruru adventure game on DC?

Off the top of my head and stretching thin, we have...

+ Athena Asamiya in Athena: Awakening from the Ordinary Life (you could argue she did not begin her career in a fighting game)
+ Virtua Fighter characters in Virtua Fighter Cyber Generation
+ Some Virtuaroids from Virtual On in Dai3ji Super Robot Taisen Alpha
+ Rainbow Mika in Startling Adventures
+ Chun-Li in Breath of Fire (hey you never mentioned the character had to be playable)
+ Card Fighters is more or less a RPG with battles decided by card duels.
+ Rasputin, famously invented in World Heroes, later appears in Shadow Hearts II... And some books and stories. ... ... What?

Loona
383th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Athena and Momo's Excellent Adventure (" , posted Wed 2 Mar 10:08post reply

quote:
Would you count the Nakoruru adventure game on DC?

My SNK fandom hurts for not remembering this one :(

Some quick research reveals it was a PC game before becoming a DC one, but there aren't many screenshots - the ones that are there hint at it being closer to a visual novel with focus on artwork and dialogue - still nice, but I was hoping for stuff that could translate the battle abilities to other formats. something the CFC games surprisingly succeed at for such a different format (Ex: Guile's defensive skills are so great he disables enemy skills!).

quote:

+ Athena Asamiya in Athena: Awakening from the Ordinary Life (you could argue she did not begin her career in a fighting game)

Forgot this too, shame on me. The focus here seems to be on mind-reading abilities and stuff like that, iirc...

quote:

Wasn't aware of this one - gotta check. seems to have been marketed to kids, so I'm expecting some form of simplification of the controls, should be interesting to read about, even if the setting seems to be mostly outside that of the VF characters, not unlike the CFC games.

quote:

I think they're also in one of the portable games, for DS I think. I'm sad they went with Apharmd with a hat, to me the charm of that one was having a giant mech with camo pants.

quote:

+ Rainbow Mika in Startling Adventures

Now that you mention it I recall seeing her in some non-SF game's cover - gotta check how playable she is in that, assuming her skills can be used.

Thanks for mentioning those!

sibarraz
12th Post

XBL: sibarraz4life

New Customer

"Re(3):Athena and Momo's Excellent Adventure (" , posted Wed 2 Mar 12:34post reply

quote:
Would you count the Nakoruru adventure game on DC?

My SNK fandom hurts for not remembering this one :(

Some quick research reveals it was a PC game before becoming a DC one, but there aren't many screenshots - the ones that are there hint at it being closer to a visual novel with focus on artwork and dialogue - still nice, but I was hoping for stuff that could translate the battle abilities to other formats. something the CFC games surprisingly succeed at for such a different format (Ex: Guile's defensive skills are so great he disables enemy skills!).

Forgot this too, shame on me. The focus here seems to be on mind-reading abilities and stuff like that, iirc...

Wasn't aware of this one - gotta check. seems to have been marketed to kids, so I'm expecting some form of simplification of the controls, should be interesting to read about, even if the setting seems to be mostly outside that of the VF characters, not unlike the CFC games.

I think they're also in one of the portable games, for DS I think. I'm sad they went with Apharmd with a hat, to me the charm of that one was having a gi

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

I don't know if it counts, but in shenmue you can tell in some parts that this game at some point would be the ''virtua fighter RPG'' that yu suzuli had in mind, some characters had movelists similar to some VF characters, and well, also, the virtua fighter figurines that appeared on the game, so technically, I guess that we could include shenmue

Spoon
2128th Post

"Re(3):Athena and Momo's Excellent Adventure (" , posted Wed 2 Mar 13:58post reply

I remember the first time I saw promo/demo video for Awakening From Ordinary Life in a store. I remember feeling stunned by it and how much I wanted to play that game!

Of course, those videos didn't show any actual gameplay, not that I knew any better.

mbisonhatclub
270th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Athena and Momo's Excellent Adventure (" , posted Wed 2 Mar 14:04post reply

quote:
+ Rasputin, famously invented in World Heroes, later appears in Shadow Hearts II... And some books and stories. ... ... What?

Notsureifserious.jpg

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Maou
2160th Post

"Re(4):I want Catherine (for the movies)" , posted Wed 2 Mar 14:19post reply

quote:
Confirmed here. Photoshop-induced drool there.

Still waiting to find a way to play Catherine without having to play 3D Qbert just to see the gorgeous art...maybe I'd better stick to Kon movies.

chazumaru
752th Post

"Re(5):I want Catherine (for the movies)" , posted Wed 2 Mar 19:37post reply

Why don't you just buy the artbook? It's what I did for Persona 3 and 4.

Toxico
5267th Post

"Re(6):I want Catherine (for the movies)" , posted Thu 3 Mar 12:46post reply

quote:
Why don't you just buy the artbook? It's what I did for Persona 3 and 4.

Trailer

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

chazumaru
753th Post

"Disgaea update" , posted Thu 3 Mar 20:04post reply

So. This thread is where we talked about Disgaea 4's release (see previous posts). N1 aimed for 200,000 sales. Here is the estimation from Media Create for the game's first week:

quote:
04. / 00. [PS3] Disgaea 4 (Nippon Ichi Software) {2011.02.24} - 79.425 / NEW

Please consider this is only an estimation; furthermore it does not take into account Amazon sales. I assume N1's target was a sell-in number (copies sold by N1's distributor to retailers) rather than sell-through (copies sold by retailers to consumers). With all these careful considerations in mind...

... N1 is fucked.

Toxico
5269th Post

"Re(1):Disgaea update" , posted Fri 4 Mar 03:11post reply

By the way

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Toxico
5270th Post

"Quin's Gait" , posted Sat 5 Mar 13:10post reply

Oh, that silly stripping.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Ishmael
4032th Post

"Re(1):Quin's Gait" , posted Sun 6 Mar 00:48post reply

quote:
Oh, that silly stripping.

Are they aiming for sales around 200,000 as well? Or is this game simply a prelude to showcase the roster of guest characters that will show up in the next Soul Calibur? SD pixel art on the PSP is all well and good but SC's armor breaking game engine is obviously the way to go for top of the line bodice ripping.

In other equally silly news, I find myself really looking forward to the latest Musou game. I don't know how many times I've conquered China but I find the easy gameplay and epic scope to be quite relaxing.

Maou
2162th Post

"Re(2):Quin's Gait" , posted Sun 6 Mar 03:25post reply

quote:
top of the line bodice ripping.
And here I was going to complain that the video embodied everything that had gone wrong in the games-animation industry over the past ten years, but with Ish's phrasing, it just sounds so...classy~

quote:
I don't know how many times I've conquered China but I find...to be quite relaxing.
Me too! Oh, right, in the game I mean...that's it, in the game...

Pollyanna
3002th Post

"Re(3):Quin's Gait" , posted Sun 6 Mar 05:01:post reply

I don't know if anyone else played it, but for the record, I thought the first Queens Blade game was pretty good. I wouldn't have pursued it on my own, but it came with a very enthusiastic recommendation and I ended up liking it very well. If you don't take it too seriously, I'd recommend it to SRPG fans. Even the clothes destruction was kind of fun because it gave you something to watch even when you were getting beat.

I liked the overall system better than any SRW game (though admittedly, I haven't played one in a while) and the battles were a bit more thoughtfully put together, in my opinion. The only downside (from a system perspective) is that I lost interest in the game once I realized how much you could abuse a certain stat that made several characters grossly overpowered.

I'm not too interested in the new one for some reason, though. Maybe it's because I don't mind watching characters have their clothes torn off when that's what they were made for, but when it happens to characters from other titles, it feels kind of wrong. Like... sex symbol characters are fine, but having a character reduced to a sex symbol leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Sun 6 Mar 05:01]

Mosquiton
1770th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Musou Therapy" , posted Sun 6 Mar 05:47post reply

quote:

In other equally silly news, I find myself really looking forward to the latest Musou game. I don't know how many times I've conquered China but I find the easy gameplay and epic scope to be quite relaxing.

I feel kind of the same way actually, although I always play the game cooperatively with my wife, which I think adds a lot to the experience.

I also talked to a Mr. Miyauchi at Koei recently and brought up the Crimson Sea series (Crimson Sea 2 was really good). Did anyone else but me play that one?

/ / /

Baines
277th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Musou Therapy" , posted Sun 6 Mar 13:45post reply

quote:
I feel kind of the same way actually, although I always play the game cooperatively with my wife, which I think adds a lot to the experience.

Didn't Koei remove co-op story mode in DW7?

quote:
I also talked to a Mr. Miyauchi at Koei recently and brought up the Crimson Sea series (Crimson Sea 2 was really good). Did anyone else but me play that one?

I wanted to play it, but never found it in stores. I didn't do much online buying at the time, and by the time I got into that, online stores didn't have it, even used.

Digitalboy
733th Post

"Bimmy & Jimmy for iOS by Aksys" , posted Sun 6 Mar 16:42post reply

Did anyone else get Double Dragon for the iOS?

So much memories of the NES/Famicom version that is updated for the iOS.

Although, I do prefer the NES/Famicom 8bit title music.

I don't know how to live

Toxico
5277th Post

"AT LAST!" , posted Thu 17 Mar 00:34:post reply

You know what I'm speaking of, we finally have a Castlevania related post in our hands. The contents seems to be three extra missions for Lords of Shadows, and if we believe the trailer more skills might be added as well since "Gabriel must become a creature now", he should get something new, no?

edit :

Disgaea 4 sales have stalled horribly , during the second week the game sold 10% of what the first week achieved... I wouldn't be surprised if a Nippon Ichi auction is scheduled by now

Yakuza 4 release trailer

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 17 Mar 00:58]

Ishmael
4040th Post

"Re(1):AT LAST!" , posted Thu 17 Mar 02:52post reply

quote:

edit :

Disgaea 4 sales have stalled horribly , during the second week the game sold 10% of what the first week achieved... I wouldn't be surprised if a Nippon Ichi auction is scheduled by now

What did the international sales on the previous Disgaea titles look like? I doubt it was over 50% of the total but it might help.

Over at the A.V.Club an article on the end of the Zune noted that by pulling the plug on the system Microsoft is "forever consigning the Zune to the Island Of Misfit Technologies where it can frolic with Betamax, LaserDisc, and the Neo Geo." Ouch!

Pollyanna
3005th Post

"Re(2):AT LAST!" , posted Thu 17 Mar 05:48post reply

quote:

What did the international sales on the previous Disgaea titles look like? I doubt it was over 50% of the total but it might help.

I remember the numbers being better than expected for such a niche title, but I don't know exactly. Although 200,000 was optimistic for Japanese sales, they should at least meet that number internationally.

Raaaaant...

Assuming it still has a following in the west, I don't think it'll be a disappointment to fans. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, myself. They really need to dump that damned Rosenqueen song, though. The music at your base is so cool, but every time you go to the shop or level up your skills, it starts that annoying song. And since the items in the shop are randomized, you may find yourself stopping and restarting the song 20 times before you get what you want. This is nothing new, but it's driven me crazy for a long time.

Also, the voice acting is kind of shoddy. A lot of potentially funny lines are ruined by mediocre delivery.

Wait...I said I was enjoying it, then I started complaining...hahaha. Well, what I mean is that those are stains on an otherwise enjoyable experience. The HD sprites are adorable, and it's neat to see the dialogue pictures actually animate. Some of the levels are really devious in their puzzle elements, and thus far, the plot is really well-paced, even if the writing is a bit sloppy here and there.

One really amazing thing is that you get to choose the personality of your (generic) characters when you make them. In other words, you choose one of three voice sets for them. Usually one of them is totally out there. For example, one of the ninja sets gives them this fake foreign accent. They say stereotypical "Japanese" things, like "Sushi!" and "Fujiyama!" and "Harakiri!" Killing someone (or leveling up), then having your character yell "sushi!" is strangely enjoyable. Not to be outdone, the main character often yells "sardine!"

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
885th Post

"Re(2):AT LAST!" , posted Thu 17 Mar 07:05:post reply

quote:
"forever consigning the Zune to the Island Of Misfit Technologies where it can frolic with Betamax, LaserDisc, and the Neo Geo." Ouch!

Silly games journalist, Neogeo had the longest lifespan out of any console ever.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 17 Mar 07:30]

karasu99
568th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):AT LAST!" , posted Thu 17 Mar 08:34post reply

quote:
"forever consigning the Zune to the Island Of Misfit Technologies where it can frolic with Betamax, LaserDisc, and the Neo Geo." Ouch!

Silly games journalist, Neogeo had the longest lifespan out of any console ever.

Agreed! Plus the whole comment smelled of bait to get us NG lovers in a lather.

Also: a better example would have been the HD-DVD. Oh wait, didn't Microsoft invest a bundle on that too? OHHHH!

nobinobita
885th Post

"Re(4):AT LAST!" , posted Thu 17 Mar 10:03post reply

quote:

Also: a better example would have been the HD-DVD. Oh wait, didn't Microsoft invest a bundle on that too? OHHHH!

This is also the website that reviewed Street Fighter IV as a single player experience :P

These young upstart hipster games journalists are a threat to my lifestyle!

www.art-eater.com

chazumaru
758th Post

"Re(3):AT LAST!" , posted Thu 17 Mar 10:26post reply

quote:

Actually, Atari 2600 holds the record. PlayStation 2 will most likely beat both of them.

Toxico
5277th Post

"Re(3):AT LAST!" , posted Thu 17 Mar 11:00post reply

quote:

How do I read this?

Now, an actual interesting fact is The effect of Zero Gravity in cats. You can thank me later.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Spoon
2131th Post

"Re(4):AT LAST!" , posted Thu 17 Mar 12:04post reply

quote:

How do I read this?

Now, an actual interesting fact is The effect of Zero Gravity in cats. You can thank me later.

I've heard at other forums that the numbers at vgchartz are somewhat unreliable, but I never learned just how "off" they were. Still, that's an interesting graph if the numbers are true; the majority of the sales of thoroughly Japanese game are in America and not Japan.

Nobinobita
886th Post

"Re(5):AT LAST!" , posted Thu 17 Mar 17:07post reply

quote:

I've heard at other forums that the numbers at vgchartz are somewhat unreliable, but I never learned just how "off" they were. Still, that's an interesting graph if the numbers are true; the majority of the sales of thoroughly Japanese game are in America and not Japan.

VGChartz extrapolates their numbers from data collected from an undisclosed number of stores.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/629/where-do-vg-chartz-north-american-numbers-come-from/

It's a really fun site, but I wouldn't take their numbers too seriously.

www.art-eater.com

chazumaru
759th Post

"plagiarismo del plagiarismo" , posted Thu 17 Mar 19:13post reply

VGChartz extrapolates their numbers from professional agencies that extrapolate their numbers from data collected from an undisclosed number of stores. Nobinobita's warning is almost too kind.

Molyneux finally concedes:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-16-molyneux-sorry-if-ive-over-promised

Loona
385th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):AT LAST!" , posted Thu 17 Mar 20:00post reply

quote:

This reminds me of how I just found abot the PS Triple webcomic yesterday, and how the Sega character seems to be following on SNK's footsteps, not in a good way:

http://www.1up.com/1upblogs/7/ps_triple?pager.offset=40

The english version only has 50 strips... I wonder if the japanese original still running eventually ever added an SNK characters... there's a Capcom one at least once...

Ishmael
4041th Post

"Re(4):AT LAST!" , posted Fri 18 Mar 01:47post reply

Curious, I had posted that quote about the Neo Geo since I found it amusing that a system with a cult status had been mentioned in a non-game article. I didn't expect a discussion about the Neo Geo's place in the history of electronics to spring up as a result. Even after all this time I still don't know what will generate a response around here.

So VGChartz is the Peter Molyneux of sales data? A pity, having a central database for that sort of information would be handy.

quote:

No, I think I need to thank you right now for that.

Badoor
179th Post

Regular Customer

"The return of Kunio-Kun" , posted Fri 18 Mar 19:29post reply

River City Ransom 2 & new Dodgeball coming to wiiware by the original dev team

Strange thing is that the Dodgeball game is going to be a port of the Super Dodgeball clone on the xbox 360 Indies section. I hope they turn out good. The last Kunio related game I played was River City Soccer on the DS by ASW, a sort of sequel to Nintendo World Cup and I didn't like it.

chazumaru
762th Post

"great backgrounds from the good times" , posted Sat 19 Mar 00:26post reply

Some of you surely have seen that.

sibarraz
21th Post

XBL: sibarraz4life

New Customer

"Re(1):great backgrounds from the good times" , posted Sat 19 Mar 12:41post reply

quote:

Watching this thread, one realizes that even though the actual fighting games are very cool and had more advancement with the planning of the games, those ones will never reach all the love that the 90 games got

SNK and Capcom were true masters of the pixel, and even though the blazblue and MVC 3 backgrounds are really cool, they lack of something, I couldn't explain which it is

Nobinobita
887th Post

"Re(1):great backgrounds from the good times" , posted Sat 19 Mar 15:14post reply

quote:

Thank you!

quote:

TT___TT Thank you!

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2134th Post

"recently localized psp games" , posted Tue 22 Mar 07:54post reply

Anybody played God Eater or Dissidia Duodecim?

Dissidia looks too pretty for me to NOT play, while God Eater sounds like MH with some new twists (scriptable bullets!) and a little more story.

MH is quite the game that I really admire but can't stand playing. I'm not sure if I'll admire God Eater quite so much, but it'll be nice if I enjoy playing it.

Pollyanna
3007th Post

"Re(1):recently localized psp games" , posted Tue 22 Mar 08:22post reply

I put about 10 hours into Duodecim before I thought I could use some "time off" from it. There's nothing really wrong with the game, it's just that if you pumped 100 hours into the first game, you might get burned out a lot faster on this one.

Oh, wait...there's one thing wrong. The difficulty balance is really off. The game will suddenly become incredibly easy or incredibly difficult without much of a warning. I only find about 1 in 3 fights terribly satisfying.

On the upside, the story is much improved from the original, which isn't saying much, since the original had one of the worst plots imaginable.

As for God Eater, the game(s) always came out when I was knee deep in Monster Hunter, so I never got around to playing them. A friend of mine picked up the US release and left me with the following impressions:
*It gives you a quick fix that Monster Hunter might not be able to.
*You have 20 different voices for your character and all of them are bad in different ways.
*The opening is awesome.

Also to anyone who may be reading this, even if you don't care about God Eater, give the soundtrack a shot. I'm starting to wish that Go Shiina would compose the soundtrack for EVERY game I play. I'm tempted to pick up the game, just for an excuse to listen to the soundtrack some more.

By the way, what is it you don't like about Monster Hunter? That might be fixed in God Eater, or even the newer version of MH. MHP3 is relatively pain-free, especially compared to something like Dos.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
2169th Post

"Xenogears Myth" , posted Tue 22 Mar 08:48post reply

The idea of a new Xenogears orchestral album literally 13 years after the game came out, and after an arranged version was already made, is so bafflingly bizarre and potentially insane that the Random Thread is just the place for it. The music is still wonderful all these years later, but, but, but...who will care?

Pollyanna
3008th Post

"Re(1):Xenogears Myth" , posted Tue 22 Mar 09:42post reply

quote:
The idea of a new Xenogears orchestral album literally 13 years after the game came out, and after an arranged version was already made, is so bafflingly bizarre and potentially insane that the Random Thread is just the place for it. The music is still wonderful all these years later, but, but, but...who will care?

ME.

Mitsudaaaaaa...what happened to you!? This album is SO GOOD. It blows my mind to think that I remember almost every track from Xenogears and Chrono Trigger like...note for note after all these years. Speaking of which, Square recently released an Orchestra CD with a Chrono Trigger medley that was super nice.

Myth really caused a "game music explosion" in my heart. Fortunately, I've been playing Disgaea 4 lately, which has long stretches of bad music in its fights. That's given me plenty of time to bust out the Xenosaga soundtracks, Myth, Tales of Legendia and God Eater. I keep waiting for Mitsuda to make a dramatic revival, but I have Go Shiina to fill the hole in the meantime. Shame he isn't doing the Tales of Xillia soundtrack. It's a pity that the worst Tales game has such an amazing OST, while the better games have utter crap.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
2135th Post

"Re(2):recently localized psp games" , posted Tue 22 Mar 13:04post reply

quote:
By the way, what is it you don't like about Monster Hunter?

I'm certain I've gone over this a few times in this forum, but here goes anyway:

- unless you've already played the game or its previous iterations many many times and can beat the monsters naked while wielding the starting equipment, you need to grind a lot. I say "need to grind a lot", because without the right weapon, it takes forever to kill something, and without sufficient armor, you can die in 1-2 hits... which wouldn't be quite so bad if it weren't for how long it takes to kill something. It's also quite difficult to fight when you have both low health and lack special protection (e.g. earplug).

- a lot of the grinding is intensely boring. Getting the 1000 iron ores needed for an Onslaught Hammer was not something I could call fun or interesting in any way.

- it's too easy to waste a lot of time grinding up the wrong weapon. That Onslaught Hammer that took 1000 ores? Yeah, it still deflects off of a lot of monsters that are of rank suitable to your armor... which means you need to grind up a different weapon.

- it's hard to tell how long it'll take to kill a monster, which leads me to wondering whether or not I should grind up some other weapon or just stick with what I have. While there are cues in animation once a monster is getting very low on health, until that point you really have no idea how well you're doing.

- the skill system is obtuse. Without looking up an FAQ, I really have no idea what some of the skills do or what the different bonuses they give are at the different ranks of the skills.

- the rewards for progression feel really unrewarding. This feels kind of hypocritical, because I'm probably the biggest EDF fanboy there is, but I don't feel rewarded when one of the rewards for killing Rathalos is unlocking another quest where I get to kill Rathalos. Or maybe two Rathaloses! Same goes for some of the armor upgrades; since you might break your skills by swapping in just one piece of armor, you might have to wait until you've gotten the whole set before you can actually equip it.

- The font is fugly.

- I have long fingers so the claw grip is extremely uncomfortable.

- You can't meaningfully participate in higher level hunts because number of deaths is a team restriction. As a result, my presence on the team is a liability to the success of the entire team. Either my pals play without me, or I spend the entire game sitting at the base, or they have to go down to lower level hunts which are trivialized by their equipment or the fact that the hunt rewards are useless to them. No matter what, the result feels like a waste of time for me and/or them.

- I could download a hacked savefile that has tons of everything so that I can actually participate in the higher level hunts with them without investing 100 hours in the game beforehand, but then that invalidates the entire feeling of meaningful hunt rewards for them.

There's probably more that I can't recall offhand, but this post is long enough already.

In short, there's no way for me to play this game that doesn't make the experience feel like a waste of time. I normally love challenging games, and MH is full of things to love: its art is great, it's full of big meaty impacts, it has plenty of memorable audio... but I just can't stand playing it.

Pollyanna
3009th Post

"Re(3):recently localized psp games" , posted Tue 22 Mar 14:52post reply

quote:
I'm certain I've gone over this a few times in this forum, but here goes anyway:

I'm sorry, I forgot that you were the person I always disagreed with about Monster Hunter. I wasn't trying to stir up an argument. I think it got unpleasant last time where I was even complaining about your friends or something.

I'm not saying this to argue your points, but I feel the need to defend the latest game for those who may be on the line about the series...

I think Portable 3 is quite user friendly in reference to the previous games. I believe it is quite possible for a relatively inexperienced player to play to the ending (or finish all of the town quests) without repeating any given mission more than 2 times. For the first time, I played through the game with no FAQ or any online assistance, making only what equipment was readily available to me. Most resources were acquired from the farm, not from the levels themselves. I found the experience to be fairly easy. I would imagine that a less experienced player would find it "reasonably difficult".

On another note...

quote:
- the skill system is obtuse. Without looking up an FAQ, I really have no idea what some of the skills do or what the different bonuses they give are at the different ranks of the skills.

MHP3 has made an advancement in this area, letting you know how many points you need to get to each level of bonus and what that bonus provides, but the obscenely long list of different skills still makes the system, as you said, obtuse. I don't mind the trade-off, for such a robust system, but it's undeniably daunting and can require a lot of work to wade through.

The talisman system also totally sucks. It's neat that you have an "accessory" slot that gives you a chance to really customize your skill set and use a bunch of different armors that you might not have otherwise, but the way that you acquire the accessories is just plain stupid. I can understand if they kept a really powerful weapon away from you unless you totally went out on a limb for it, but making something so essential come from random mining is really obnoxious. It doesn't hinder my ability to play or succeed in the game, but I wish I could win talismans by passing challenges, rather than luck and the lowest level of what I would call "grinding."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
2136th Post

"Re(4):recently localized psp games" , posted Wed 23 Mar 02:15post reply

quote:
I think it got unpleasant last time where I was even complaining about your friends or something.

I don't think it got unpleasant at all!
I do remember you had a lot of valid points about how your group approached it, but it just didn't apply to mine.

quote:

Other stuff

That sounds like a big improvement. I'll have to check it out... though I have a feeling by the time I do, MH4 will be out.

karasu99
574th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):recently localized psp games" , posted Wed 23 Mar 02:46post reply

quote:
Anybody played God Eater or Dissidia Duodecim?

I grabbed Duodecim Prologus and ordered the full version. While I keep telling myself it's not very interesting and it's kind of dull, and the story sucks, and the renders are all artifact-y, and I'm not a huge Final Fantasy fan (so a FF-lovesong like Dissidia is not really for me), I played the first game for like 80 hours, which was huge for me. So, I thought I would buy it since I will likely play this one as much as well.

Prologus is not bad, but I have yet to play it for more than a few hours. Just like in the first game, I find that I am skipping the cutscenes with no feelings of guilt or that I'm 'missing something' whatsoever.

Pollyanna
3010th Post

"Re(5):recently localized psp games" , posted Wed 23 Mar 05:09post reply

On God Eater:

I got to spend some time with it yesterday. I'm no expert, but here are my early impressions in case you're wondering:

*Looks slick. Lots of variety in NPC characters, even if your character can only be "cool young anime hero".

*Again, the soundtrack is great, but it's poorly implemented. Some very powerful songs are wasted on random scenes and it often skips from one track to the next haphazardly. Still, the battle themes are great, after you turn down the oppressive sound effects.

*It's super easy to get into and the quests are short enough to play in any number. Switching between gun and sword on the fly is fun and stealing moves from the enemy is a neat touch.

*Since I don't own the game, I haven't been able to play multiplayer, but I like how you pick your team offline. It feels like an RPG. The fact that you can send special bullets (stolen from the monsters) to your pals with the press of a button is really cool.

*The cinemas and plot are only so good, but they still do a good job of moving you forward and keeping you interested in the world. I wish the voice acting was a little less grating (it's hit or miss), since the player communication during missions is a nice touch.

*Despite my wealth of compliments, the game feels more like a way to kill time than something meaningful. It plays well enough, but I don't feel like there's enough room for me to improve as a player. It's too simple and straightforward. Maybe that'll change as you progress, though.

*I'm not fond of the physics in the game. Your hits are too floaty and there's not much of a sense of impact. Feels like a Tales game or something. The monsters are fairly well-designed, but their animations are weak and they don't respond well to your attacks.

I'm trying not to compare it to Monster Hunter, but judge it on its own merits. It's a good game and I'd recommend it, but it's lacking an extra "umph" to really draw me in. Maybe once I find some more advanced things to do...

On the subject of Monster Hunter...

quote:
I don't think it got unpleasant at all!
I do remember you had a lot of valid points about how your group approached it, but it just didn't apply to mine.

I'm really glad to hear that. I try to express my opinion without being too rude, but sometimes when I'm so opinionated, I'm afraid it comes out wrong.

quote:
That sounds like a big improvement. I'll have to check it out... though I have a feeling by the time I do, MH4 will be out.

I don't know where they're taking the series next. Probably a 3DS port of the PSP games. The ending to P3 said "this is the end of this series". Maybe that was just my interpretation of it, but it seems like they're reaching the limit of what they can do with the PSP anyway. Maybe we'll see a 3P 2nd G, but I wonder if they can fit much more on a UMD and the game has plenty of content already.

If they do a "reboot" I hope they don't go back to their earlier line of thinking, as I certainly share most of your complaints when it comes to the early games in the series.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食