Good Games for Kids! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2610 Views )

Nobinobita
844th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 20 Dec 05:45post reply

I'm doing some Xmas shopping for the worlds greatest nieces and nephews (ages 5-8). What games would you recommend? They got a Wii.

Kirby's Epic yarn looks to be a safe bet. It's beautiful, creative, non threatening and has got co-op. Plus it's 2-d! Woohoo!

Also considering:

Okami - Pros: strong untraditional female lead. Great art direction, tastefully referenced from history. A real sense of culture to it.
Cons: Might be too scary, plus that one character has a giant bouncing wrack. Might distress the parents.

Little King's Story - Very tempting, but probably too complex for grade schoolers.

New Super Mario Bros: Awesome gameplay and its got 4 player coop to boot. Sounds perfect, but then I remembered how ANGRY adults get when playing it (stop blocking me!!!). I can only imagine the trail of tears that will ensue with 4 little kids of varying manual dexterity.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom: It's never too early to start them on fighters!

Muramasa: Totally inappropriate. At this point I'm just trying to make little clones of myself.

I'm already 80% sold on Kirby, but I was wondering, if you guys had kids/nieces/nephews/godchildren, what games would you want them to play?

www.art-eater.com

Replies:

Maou
2135th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 20 Dec 06:00:post reply

quote:
New Super Mario Bros: Awesome gameplay and its got 4 player coop to boot. Sounds perfect, but then I remembered how ANGRY adults get when playing it (stop blocking me!!!).

My pupil, the answer lies before your eyes, you have only to seize it: not New Super Mario Bros., but the Super Mario Collection! Young minds must start in the video game dojo with the most important basis of the art, Super Marios Bros. 1-3! This present will ensure that they grow up into upstanding individuals and learn the Proper Way.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 20 Dec 06:22]

Spoon
2062th Post

"Re(2):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 20 Dec 06:44post reply

I'm not sure how well 5 year olds would take to Okami, simply because I'm not sure if it's simple enough to play. Simple flash platforming games with nowhere near the polish of Mario games are easily capable of captivating grade 7 kids (which are like age 12), so yeah.

I personally really enjoyed playing de Blob on wii. It's characters are round and cute, it's not very punishing, and you can have a lot of fun just rolling and jumping around painting the town. ... and some of the characters look like the Binomes from Reboot, albeit squishier. The cutscenes are pretty much all comic mischief, but they've got good style and are very lively.

Now, my experience in elementary school days was full of some rather extreme flavours, like Street Fighter, Mystery of Convoy, Metroid, Solomon's Key, Doom, Bubble Bobble... yeah.

5 year olds will be impressed by anything. Get them to play as many "low-def" games as possible while they are at that stage so that they will learn how cool 8 and 16-bit sprites are. Get them some Virtual Console games; many of them are very cheap. Bubble Bobble on WiiWare contains an Arrange mode that I've heard is generally not as good as the original, but does allow for like 4 player simultaneous, and that might be enough to make an otherwise inferior Bubble Bobble worth playing. Of course, if their Wii is not set up for online, this doesn't mean much.

karasu99
488th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 20 Dec 07:34post reply

I would steer clear of Okami-- not for content, but rather for the Wii version's mysteriously poor drawing implementation.

You could always get the Boy and His Blob remake-- I hear it's pretty nice, and it certainly looks good.

OH, also, Super Mario Cart is fun, easy to pick up, and a blast for more than one person to play at a time.

Of course this is all conjecture on my part; since no one has so far entrusted me with the care of an actual human child, I can't know for sure.

sfried
605th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 20 Dec 11:43:post reply

Kirby's Epic Yarn is probably your best bet. It makes no qualms at being easy but its so delightfully enjoyable that adults will be tempted to jump in and next thing you know you WILL be squabling for the gem-collecting meta-goal and try to reach GOLD in each level. The kids will probably enjoy the pad decorating aspect too.

Some old games are probably the safest bets, too. Secret of Mana is another one.

(A Boy And His Blob is not a bad decision if its for long-term. That game can get grueling in later areas.)

[this message was edited by sfried on Mon 20 Dec 11:47]

Freeter
4527th Post

"Re(1):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 20 Dec 14:00post reply

My niece and nephew love the Lego Star Wars games. You might want to give those a spin (and maybe Lego Harry Potter also if they're into that). You could also get them DKC Returns or Sonic Colors since those also have co-op.

If you're thinking about getting them a fighter, I'd lean towards DBZ or Naruto. Those are easier to play than Tatsunoko, plus they might actually know some of the characters if they've ever watched the shows.

But yeah, Kirby is your best option at this point, so definitely get that one first.

Ishmael
3952th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a

"Re(1):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 20 Dec 14:21:post reply

I'm always hesitant to recommend games to someone I don't know, especially to children. There's a world of difference between, say, a five year old girl and an eight year old boy. Still, if you're going to be a good uncle the least I can do is toss in my two cents.

Kirby is probably going to be your go-to amorphous protagonist, although the recommendations for Boy and his Blob are also a good idea.

Okami might be a bit much for the younger kids. Not because of the subject matter but because there is an awful lot of text and menu navigation. If any of the keiki are around pre-school age they may have fun simply moving the dog around the screen. Also, Okami is a much more traditional video game sort of game. Are the children interested in a game that requires you to learn the controls and spend a considerable amount of time interacting with a large game environment?

I haven't played the latest SMB but from what I've heard it's a great way to promote domestic violence. How about something that is a little less likely to lead to bloodshed like Mario Kart? Or something they can play cooperatively such as Mario Galaxy or some beat 'em up like Batman: The Brave and the Bold or the TMNT arcade game if they know who those characters are.

Speaking of character recognition, I'm not sure about TvC. Would they really be interested in that wild Capcom cast and characters from cartoons that aired forty years before they were born? Perhaps the lastest Super Smash Bros. would be more to their liking?

Good grief, Christmas is just around the corner!

EDIT: Good call from Freeter on the Lego games. If they like the franchise and they like Lego they could have some fun with those titles.

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Mon 20 Dec 14:23]

Nobinobita
845th Post

"Re(1):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 20 Dec 18:33post reply

Great recommendations! Thanks a ton!

I decided Kirby was the safest bet.

Thanks for the heads up on the crappy wii controls on Okami. I wasn't aware that was an issue till today.

I toootally would have gotten them Super Mario All Stars, but I stopped cos it doesn't include the NES versions! I’ll keep that collection in mind for future birthdays though. They already love Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart, so I'm sure they'll embrace the originals.

My goal is to get them games that are engaging and not just pacifying. When I was younger, games inspired me to draw and tell stories. My best friend would figure out how to play Nobuo Uematsu songs on his keyoboard and he’d make up his own arrangements.

I'm finding that there's very little generational disconnect. If I show my nieces and nephews something I liked, they will generally like it too (they LOVE the original Transformers movie). They don’t have anything against “old” stuff. I also haven’t noticed any substantial differences in viewing or gaming habits between the boys and girls.

Ideally I want them to be able to play Secret of Mana (no child with siblings should be without this game!), Final Fantasy IV and VI and Chrono Trigger. I think they’ll go nuts for the SNES squaresoft games. They have such great stories and characters and music and art and very simple gameplay. These kids love to read so it should be right up their ally.

I know some of these games are on virtual console, but maybe DS would be an even better platform. Hmmmmm...

www.art-eater.com

Nobinobita
846th Post

"Re(2):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 20 Dec 18:41post reply

quote:
Also, Okami is a much more traditional video game sort of game. Are the children interested in a game that requires you to learn the controls and spend a considerable amount of time interacting with a large game environment?

This is something I'm pretty curious about. I figure if they can play Mario Galaxy, they can handle most traditional action/adventure games.

quote:
Speaking of character recognition, I'm not sure about TvC. Would they really be interested in that wild Capcom cast and characters from cartoons that aired forty years before they were born? Perhaps the lastest Super Smash Bros. would

I think the cast of TvC has alot of inherent appeal. All those characters were new to us at one point too. I think good character designs are easily understood and immediately appealing. The classic 2d fighters are exemplary of this.

Smash would make more sense since they'd already know alot of the characters. But I just don't enjoy playing Smash very much, haha.

www.art-eater.com

Loona
367th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 20 Dec 21:36post reply

quote:
But I just don't enjoy playing Smash very much, haha.

Does that extend to the Subspace Emissary mode/sub-game? Because what little contact I had with that was great - a good example of wordless story-telling, easy to understand platform game mechanics (well, I played only the early part, I'm not sure if it gets too complicated for kids later on), and it can be played by two people simultaneously.
Also, it has Kirby in it too, and plenty of alternatives in terms of colors and characters if one of the kids happens to be a boy with a reluctance to play as something pink.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Ishmael
3953th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(2):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Tue 21 Dec 06:22post reply

quote:
My goal is to get them games that are engaging and not just pacifying. When I was younger, games inspired me to draw and tell stories. My best friend would figure out how to play Nobuo Uematsu songs on his keyoboard and he’d make up his own arrangements.

That does shift things just a little. With your first post I was thinking more along the lines of games that wouldn't be overly complicated or that didn't feature chainsaw deathmatches. Introducing them to the broader creativity and imagination that games can inspire is a great idea. There are all manner of games you can introduce them to that would be both entertaining and get the synapses firing. For this Christmas, however, the output from Nintendo would probably be your tool for introducing these concepts.

Whether it's the surreal landscape of the Mario games or the eternal playground of Pokemon, a lot of Nintendo games are colorful and engaging but leave enough unexplained that your imagination can fill in the blanks. It's a shame the Zelda games devolved into 80 hour monstrosities since those used to be good examples of what a pure, direct action/adventure games should be.

I'm just babbling here but I do wish you luck in instructing future generations and/or corrupting the youth of today.

quote:
I'm finding that there's very little generational disconnect. If I show my nieces and nephews something I liked, they will generally like it too (they LOVE the original Transformers movie).

I'm amazed at how many children I know who are five and under who call every yellow car they see Bumblebee. At first I thought it was the influence of their parents fathers but they seem to have come around to liking the character by themselves. Out of all the franchises out there I never imagined that Transformers would go on for multiple generations. I guess the idea of an everyday object that is secretly something amazing holds a lot of appeal.

Nobinobita
847th Post

"Re(4):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Tue 21 Dec 17:43post reply

quote:

Does that extend to the Subspace Emissary mode/sub-game? Because what little contact I had with that was great - a good example of wordless story-telling, easy to understand platform game mechanics (well, I played only the early part, I'm not sure if it gets too complicated for kids later on), and it can be played by two people simultaneously.

That sounds really good. I haven't tried it out. I'm just being a butthead. All the Smash Bros are pretty amazing, I just wish they controlled like a mario game, ie was pixel precise 2d. I can't get over how light and floaty it is.

quote:
Also, it has Kirby in it too, and plenty of alternatives in terms of colors and characters if one of the kids happens to be a boy with a reluctance to play as something pink.

Everyone loves Kirby!

quote:
Whether it's the surreal landscape of the Mario games or the eternal playground of Pokemon, a lot of Nintendo games are colorful and engaging but leave enough unexplained that your imagination can fill in the blanks.

YES, YUP and YES! Nintendo's great at sparking the imagination!

I'm reaaaally tempted to get each of them a DS and a copy of Pokemon. The DS would also open up alot of classic Square.

Hmmmmmmmm... so tempting!

www.art-eater.com

Nobinobita
849th Post

"Re(5):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Tue 21 Dec 18:34:post reply

New question.

What games were YOU playing in grade school (or whenever you get into gaming)?

I'll kick things off.
*I should point out that i watched some of these games more than I actually played them cos I had two awesome older brothers.

-First game ever was Twinbee for the Famicom. I think I was 4? I instantly fell in love with the spaceships armed with boxing gloves. I would draw them for years to come.

-Loved the following Famicom/NES games:
-Blaster Master
-Ninja Gaiden
-Contra
-Saint Seiya (i only played it once at the mall, but I WANTED IT SO BAD)
-Ultima (Pony Canyon version)
-Dragon Warrior
-Final Fantasy
-Double Dragon
-Town and Country Surf Designs (I'll never forget that surfing ape)
-Skate or Die
-Gauntlet
-Wizards and Warriors
-Karnov's Revenge (first game I recall where you're the bad guy!)
-Super Dodgeball
-River City Ransom (still holds up today)

Arcade Games I remember fondly:
-Centipede
-Noah's arc
-Street Fighter
-Two Crude Dudes
-Tecmo Knight (wish I could find a video of the absolutely brutal opening to this game)
-King of Dragons
-Knights of the Round
-SF 2 (of course!)
-Magician Lord
-Joe and Mac
-Ninja Combat
-Fatal Fury

MEGADRIVEEEEE!
-Altered Beast (scared the crap out of me!)
-Thunder Force II
-Space Harrier (second boss scared the crap out of me!)
-Revenge of Shinobi
-Mystic Defender aka Spellcaster 2 aka Kujaku-Oh (thankfully our Megadrive unlocked the original)
-Sword of Vermillion
-Last Battle (again, thankfully our Megadrive unlocked the original game with gore intact)
-Herzog Zwei - most innovative game ever
-Phantasy Star 2 - this was our Star Wars
-Ghouls and Ghosts
-Strider
-E.S.W.A.T.

Turbo Graphix:
-Keith Courage! I loved it cos Mashin Hero Wataru was one of my absolute faaavorite shows growing up.
-Bonk
-That kungfu game where the characters were absolutely massive
-Ken and Kato (I couldn't stop laughing when I played this)
-Ys - I don't remember if we actually had Ys or just watched a VHS recording of someone playing it.

SNES:
-Actraiser (the graphics! the music! oh god the music!)
-Super Mario World (the first Mario game I really got into)
-Final Fantasy IV
-Soul Blazer (I remember the ending being very bittersweet)
-Secret of Mana (playing this with siblings was the best ever)
-TOO MANY TO NAME

OK I'm just gonna stop myself. This list is just a fraction of what I'd played by age 10 and it's making my head spin. I don't even know where I found the time to play all these games. We were only allowed to play on weekends!

*edit*
OHWAIT i remember. SUMMER!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Tue 21 Dec 18:35]

Loona
368th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Tue 21 Dec 19:40post reply

quote:

That sounds really good. I haven't tried it out. I'm just being a butthead. All the Smash Bros are pretty amazing, I just wish they controlled like a mario game, ie was pixel precise 2d. I can't get over how light and floaty it is.

Between years spent on fighting games and RPGs, I seem to have taken such a big break from platform games that most of them, even classic Super Mario, feel a bit light and floaty to me. Maybe that's just me.

quote:

Everyone loves Kirby!

When the original Gameboy Kirby game was released here, he was white in the cover - it weirded me out a bit to see him consistently in pink in most other games of the series after that.

quote:

I'm reaaaally tempted to get each of them a DS and a copy of Pokemon.

I lack the Pokemon experience to judge this properly, but I wonder if that's not encouraging OCD early on...

As for that list of Megadrive games, it lacks Streets of Rage 2. No Megadrive game list is complete without Streets of Rage 2.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Tai-Pan
493th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Wed 22 Dec 02:30post reply

quote:
New question.

What games were YOU playing in grade school (or whenever you get into gaming)?

-First game ever was Twinbee for the Famicom. I think I was 4? I instantly fell in love with the spaceships armed with boxing gloves. I would draw them for years to come.

I won't spend time replying since your list is pretty much my list.
My first Famicom (I was 8) came with one of those 4in1 carts. It had Twinbee, Adventures of Dino Riki, a Hokuto No Ken game (the first one) and some other obscure game that i can't remember. I've been searching for this game for years with no luck. It was a side scroller and you played as a samurai. He would swing his sword as you pressed the button and jump of course with the other button. The background was forest. Lots of green and brown logs on the foreground. Can somebody help me with this?

The moment I find about this game will be played like that Inception scene at the end when Robert Fisher opens the safe right next to his dying father and cries as he grabs his childhood toy.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Toxico
5210th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(7):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Wed 22 Dec 02:59:post reply

quote:

I won't spend time replying since your list is pretty much my list.
My first Famicom (I was 8) came with one of those 4in1 carts. It had Twinbee, Adventures of Dino Riki, a Hokuto No Ken game (the first one) and some other obscure game that i can't remember. I've been searching for this game for years with no luck. It was a side scroller and you played as a samurai. He would swing his sword as you pressed the button and jump of course with the other button. The background was forest. Lots of green and brown logs on the foreground. Can somebody help me with this?

The moment I find about this game will be played like that Inception scene at the end when Robert Fisher opens the safe right next to his dying father and cries as he grabs his childhood toy.

Well, A samurai is not what comes to mind with that extremely vague and "nearly impossible to trace" description (I mean, I doubt you were playing Getsu Fuuma Den). Without things like powerup types, number of stages, objective of the game and a bunch of other things is hard to get the proper clue.

The first games that I played were arcade, due to the lack of the zillions of zenny that either an Atari and later a NES were worth (don't even get me started on the product ~ price difference between a 3rd world country and a proper market). The arcade had 2 machines, one was Capcom's Trojan and the second one was a Namco Shooter which I was sure that it was called Pheonix (since the best power up was a Pheonix, achieved by gathering 5 parts for your ship), but later I realized that I got the name wrong.

Later I managed to get my hands in an Atari 1600XL and it's amazing 30 ~ 60 mins loading times for the crappies games around (since it wasn't a 1800XL, the one that could actually load the cool games); and even later that that I got a NES with Mario 1 / Duck Hunt pack + Robocop 2. The rest is history and severe school bullying ♥♥

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 21 as of 15/10/10

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 22 Dec 03:19]

karasu99
490th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Wed 22 Dec 03:17post reply

My first game was Combat on the Atari VCS. My sister bought it for our family and I ended up being the sole player after it briefly fashionable with everyone. I suppose I was about... 6 or 7 maybe?

As I got a little older my parents bought me a used Atari 400, I think with the hope that it would encourage me to learn how to use a computer, but instead I played an endless stream of games provided by our software-pirating, BBS-hosting neighbor and loaded up using a cassette drive.

I think my first arcade game was Vanguard, but at the time there were tons of arcades around and tons of games in those arcades, so it's hard to think of exactly what I played first. Toxico, do you mean Amstar's Phoenix? Your description with the ship-piece collection reminds me much more of something like Terra Cresta.

I didn't get an NES until I was much much older, but I played them quite often at friends' houses.

Spoon
2063th Post

"Re(9):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Wed 22 Dec 16:30post reply

The first console I owned was a Famicom + Disk System.

One of the most important things that I got out of it was "sense of mystery"; because all the games in it were Japanese with only sparse English (if any), any game with a significant story component had to be guessed at. Except for a few games, like Abaddox, I didn't have manuals, either. So the result of this was that any game with a magical setting seemed somehow much more magical. We'd come up with names for the enemies, the bosses, the moves, the items... we'd invent our own categorizations and taxonomies, and we'd try to discern or invent backstories of the characters/settings/etc.

Famicom Tantei Club had a title screen that was pleasant enough, but actually trying to play it was frighteningly creepy because there was TOO MUCH MYSTERY!

A bunch of games I really played to the point of mastering. This was doubly true when we eventually got an NES. Some of the games I would clear before going to school. In Bionic Commando Rearmed, one of the first things I did in Zone 6 was to see if I could duplicate the glitched method of scaling the "Donkey Kong" area (and sure enough, you could!). You can imagine my despair when they released a patch that removes the "stunned rebound" wall collision from the game (happens when you swing into certain walls, your character smacks into the wall and flys backwards in a stunned state... this was basically the key to scaling that zone at turbo speed).

SF2 seemed to dominate planet earth during its prime. The same thing went for it, too: we'd talk about which characters were cool and speculate on their powers and origins and how strong they actually are....

I can't say that we exactly had the Atari ( I think it was Atari) experience where the ads told you to play the game with a blanket covering yourself and the TV to give you the feeling that you're "really piloting the spaceship", but I can't deny that the games inspired a sense of wonderment in us; they didn't just capture our attention, or our time, they captured our imaginations. Sometimes when I see the rabid fans of certain franchises, as silly or as extreme as they've taken their fandom, I don't begrudge them for it; they've just gotten drawn in the same way we were.

Various games I played on Famicom:
Transformers (the FDS one and Mystery of Convoy)
some game about a monk
Mario 2 (i.e. Lost Levels)
Bionic Commando
Mario 3
Zelda 1
Zanac
Falsion
Gyruss
Bubble Bobble
some kung fu game
Patlabor
Famicom Tantei Club
Famimaga Clox (Famimaga games rock)
Famimaga Panic Space
Famimaga All-One
Solomon's Key
Metroid
Replicart
Star Soldier (bugged as heck; seldom ran properly, always gave you hella powerups, and we really didn't know if the levels/bosses were meant to look like corrupted gfx or if it was corrupted)
a hacked/bugged Mario
Yuu Maze
some game called Forest (with an astonishing final level song!)
there's more but that's enough for now

kofoguz
879th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Wed 22 Dec 19:41post reply

quote:
The main question

My nephew loves to play and watch, NSMBW. Especially he loves where he plays that memory game where you gain extra costumes and mushrooms and stuff... He's 4.

Also the member's speak of that mystriously beautiful game Solomon's Key. I really fell in love with the game. I played that when I was a child but later I didnt have a chance to play it again

Pollyanna
2975th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(2):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Wed 22 Dec 20:36post reply

Work is killing me, so I don't have time to relive my grade school gaming in full, but I will mention that I was totally crazy about Dark Fact/Dark Fukt from Ys Book when I was in 3rd grade. I loved him so much I drew a storybook about his trip around the world, complete with skateboarding in California, because "rad" was in at the time. His last stop was Tokyo, where he got to play Ys 3.

Ghosts and Goblins was the first game I personally picked out, and pretty much everything Capcom made after that. I played everything I could get my hands on for NES, with very few favorites. I think I had an Astyanax phase...? I liked the fairy in that for some reason.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
2064th Post

"Re(3):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Thu 23 Dec 01:55post reply

quote:
I think I had an Astyanax phase...? I liked the fairy in that for some reason.

I owned that game as well!

I thought it was really jarring how her face looked in the ending cutscene compared to how she looked in the other scenes, though... it's like she was a completely different (and somehow uglier) person!

ZamIAm
1801th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Sun 26 Dec 16:12post reply

Since we're talking about older games, one is sort of plaguing me. Long time ago there was a sword and sorcery platformer that I had for NES. The only things I remember are the boss music and that stage 2 was in a cave with bats and the final boss was a large purple bat. Every so often that boss music will pop in my head despite not remembering the name of the game. Does anyone know what game I'm talking about?

Spoon
2068th Post

"Re(5):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 27 Dec 00:56post reply

quote:
Since we're talking about older games, one is sort of plaguing me. Long time ago there was a sword and sorcery platformer that I had for NES. The only things I remember are the boss music and that stage 2 was in a cave with bats and the final boss was a large purple bat. Every so often that boss music will pop in my head despite not remembering the name of the game. Does anyone know what game I'm talking about?

I'm going to guess it was Wizards and Warriors.
Caves + purple/pink bats right here
I beat that game many a time on my NES!

ZamIAm
1802th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(6):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 27 Dec 02:21post reply

quote:

Thanks! Sadly, the "boss music" I remember seems to actually be the "you're about to die" music... :(

TheRedKnight
292th Post

PSN: no
XBL: no
Wii: no

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 27 Dec 04:38post reply

Thanks! Sadly, the "boss music" I remember seems to actually be the "you're about to die" music... :(

You should see a doctor.

THE LEGEND OF THE STRONGEST FIGHTING LORD OF ALL TIME!

kofoguz
880th Post

"Good Games for Classic Resident Evil lovers!" , posted Mon 27 Dec 04:42post reply

Since we started with game suggestions, and derailed the thread once, why not twice?

My older brother loved the Resident Evil Archives on Wii but hated the RE Chronicles. And wants to play similar games like RE Archives. Any suggestions?

sfried
605th Post

"Re(1):Good Games for Classic Resident Evil lo" , posted Mon 27 Dec 04:54post reply

quote:
Since we started with game suggestions, and derailed the thread once, why not twice?

My older brother loved the Resident Evil Archives on Wii but hated the RE Chronicles. And wants to play similar games like RE Archives. Any suggestions?

I would suggest RE 2 but that would be way overcited, so I'll say RE2: Nintendo 64 Edition.

kofoguz
881th Post

"Re(2):Good Games for Classic Resident Evil lo" , posted Mon 27 Dec 05:43post reply

quote:

I would suggest RE 2 but that would be way overcited, so I'll say RE2: Nintendo 64 Edition.

Nintendo 64? Can I play it on Wii? Thanks. Also does Silent Hill play like its old self?

Spoon
2070th Post

"Re(7):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Mon 27 Dec 06:09post reply

quote:

The "you're about to die" music was bizarrely cheerful... it was way more upbeat than anything else in the game! I remember the first time hearing it, I thought I was doing something RIGHT, because that song sounded so out of place.

Mozex
425th Post

PSN: Mozex

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Good Games for Kids!" , posted Tue 28 Dec 04:08post reply

Original Legend of Zelda with a good map guide so they don't get lost. I spent tons of time playing it when I was 6-7. I recommend the map/guide so they don't get too lost and frustrated.

Be kind to goblins.

sfried
606th Post

"Re(3):Good Games for Classic Resident Evil lo" , posted Tue 28 Dec 13:24post reply

quote:

Nintendo 64? Can I play it on Wii? Thanks. Also does Silent Hill play like its old self?

I've never played the original Silent Hill so I can't say, but I guess I can say from the impressions I'm hearing "It's different but good". I myself have finished it and found it okay.

The N64 edition of RE2 has never been ported, but I'd say the Wii version is the second best console version followed by Dreamcast. I know GAF did some comparisons with each version and it somehow was more comparing the FMV quality with one another. But if you like more classic-style RE then I suggest RE0.

quote:
Original Legend of Zelda with a good map guide so they don't get lost. I spent tons of time playing it when I was 6-7. I recommend the map/guide so they don't get too lost and frustrated.

Once again, most of the older games have that simplicity/complexity edge that don't require you to memorize button combinations in order to understand the fundamentals of the game. If they're 6-7, perhaps they could use games which also have choice-given progression. Somehow StarFox 64 comes to mind...

Spoon
2072th Post

"Re(4):Good Games for Classic Resident Evil lo" , posted Tue 28 Dec 15:02post reply

Metal Gear on the NES came with maps that basically told you how to beat the game. They even had detailed damage breakdowns for every weapon against every boss!

And yet, I found that having those maps made the game plenty fun... it was like having a bunch of intelligence info on the enemy installation, but that it was up to me to execute the plan.

Toxico
5246th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(5):Good Games for Classic Resident Evil lo" , posted Tue 8 Feb 06:16:post reply

I don't know, but hell yeah.

" プリルラ " or " PuLiRuLa " by Taito. I discover this one 3 seconds ago. It's kinda "Dj boy" good.

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3 <- the first two where kinda boring, but this one is amazing.

The rest of the stage seems to be by the "english" name and the other characters, just search for something like "Round 4 - Pu Li Ru La"

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 8 Feb 06:28]

nobinobita
858th Post

"Re(6):Good Games for Classic Resident Evil lo" , posted Tue 8 Feb 14:06post reply

quote:
I don't know, but hell yeah.

" プリルラ " or " PuLiRuLa " by Taito. I discover this one 3 seconds ago. It's kinda "Dj boy" good.

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3 <- the first two where kinda boring, but this one is amazing.

The rest of the stage seems to be by the "english" name and the other characters, just search for something like "Round 4 - Pu Li Ru La"

I ADORE PuLiRuLa!

I'd like to know more about the production history of it. Its gotta be one of the earlier games to be animated by professional animators with TV or feature film experience. It's one of the first games I can remember that really feels like a cartoon (as well as a full blown hallucination). It's got a really nice 80s/early 90s style of movement to it. Very full, and spunky, with a little squash and stretch and alot of overlapping motions which make the relatively low frame count animations feel very smooth.

A quick google search shows that veteran voice actor Masami Kikuchi was part of the cast.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=543

Most of the other credits seem to be pseudonyms though.

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2111th Post

"Re(7):Good Games for Classic Resident Evil lo" , posted Tue 8 Feb 23:24post reply

quote:
pulirula

Definitely one of my favourite games for its utterly surreal style. The super where a giant microwave drops down from which a caped person comes out and saran wraps an enemy, or the overworld-visible nuke team super were both so memorable.

Pulirula is part of the reason why Taito Memories vol.1 is the best! You can play the 80s caricature Growl and Pulirula on one disc, and then try to hold your head together afterwards!