Random thread, random edition - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (6179 Views )

Spoon
2030th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Random thread, random edition" , posted Tue 12 Oct 00:14post reply

The gaming random thread is like 160~ posts long, so it's time for a new random thread!

Thought 1:
The famicom's distinctive red/maroon color is azuki red, and was selected because at the time the plastic for it was cheap.
So says Yamauchi.

Thought 2:
I've been looking at some Korean manwha lately, and an interesting thing is that among the English translated ones which were originally webcomics, they are presented without pagination. They just flow along in one long scroll-like thing. Is this a common method of presentation for Asian webcomics in general, or is it something more regional in its use?
Go to the last third of this, where there is a depiction of the Korean traditional performance art of pungmul... I found my eyes getting dragged along as they tried to follow the sangmo (ribbon attached to the hat of the dancer). If I had to turn pages, I'm not sure I would've gotten that feeling.

Thought 3:
The sports website www.cnnsi.com features a nice picture of a cross-counter on the front page of its mma/boxing section.

Replies:

whitesword
1701th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Random thread, random edition" , posted Tue 12 Oct 00:22post reply

Polygons confirmed for Megaman Legends 3!!!!!!!

Digitalboy
702th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Random thread, random edition" , posted Tue 12 Oct 03:47post reply

Hey! I just got back from the Philippines!

Random...PARADOX!

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Toxico
5154th Post

"Re(1):Random thread, random edition" , posted Tue 12 Oct 04:47post reply

quote:

Thought 2:
I've been looking at some Korean manwha lately, and an interesting thing is that among the English translated ones which were originally webcomics, they are presented without pagination. They just flow along in one long scroll-like thing. Is this a common method of presentation for Asian webcomics in general, or is it something more regional in its use?

The few jp web comics I read are in normal page size format (this is also so since they might be printed and sold as tankoubons). Korean web comics already "charge" and "make money" by browsing them through their official sites (it's similar to what the new Taito system is trying to achieve); I suppose that it's thanks to that that authors don't feel the need of publishing (thus, arranging things in regular page format)....

And to be honest, after checking a large quantity of Korean manwha up, I can confidently they are all mostly incredibly dull, uninspired and boring (it's like... MTV executives playing alternative band or something, everything is just wrong and doesn't join up properly).

The only series that I have absolutely no qualms for and that I think that it's just totally awesome is Pink Lady... It's the story of some art students that bump up into each other and just rub each other on the worst way possible (though, unknown to them they do share a common background). The series itself utilize many references to art, expression and usage of colors. The good thing is that while reading it you realize that the author does indeed care about usage of colors and brightness to tell the story; you can see him doing what he preaches (it's not like "Beck", where they tell you that they have the potential to be a legendary world success quality band, but that storyline illusion is simply dispelled once you heard them play, har har).

Anyway, it's though luck to follow that story if you can't read it in korean; the author in person requested the scanlation groups to drop off the series (as scanlations are "free" and korean online web hosted sites do pay him a fee for his works he wasn't pleased with them). If Nobi is reading this, he should check it up, har har hardy har

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 22 as of 27/08/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 20 as of 09/09/10

Toxico
5156th Post

"Re(2):Random thread, random edition" , posted Wed 13 Oct 03:36post reply

You know what time is it? Right? Most certainly we must do our best to uphold our traditions

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

shindekudasai
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Random thread, random edition" , posted Wed 13 Oct 08:29:post reply

quote:
You know what time is it? Right? Most certainly we must do our best to uphold our traditions

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOS has the worst Castlevania ending EVER
Between the 4 hour delay for the World of Warcraft patch and this news, I am very very sad.

Castlevania
Lords of Shadow certainly
Pissed me off today

or

Perhaps I will play
To kill Gabriel Belmont
...naahhh, want Iga back.

[this message was edited by shindekudasai on Wed 13 Oct 08:32]

karasu99
447th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Random thread, random edition" , posted Wed 13 Oct 08:45post reply

quote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOS has the worst Castlevania ending EVER
Between the 4 hour delay for the World of Warcraft patch and this news, I am very very sad.

Ohoho, I actually made the decision to purchase this today, after realizing I had played through the stupidly short demo version (especially given the size of the damned thing) three times.

I can't say I'll really be playing it for the ending though.

Hum, I had planned on making a new thread to discuss it, but here is good enough-- hopefully I won't be the only one talking about it? I'm still not sure what I think of the reboot, but I found it to be a really enjoyable game. It's atmospheric in the same ways that I always think games in this series need to be. The colors and the enemy design, and the 'old book' gimmick for the pause menu are all really attractive, although Gabriel's design isn't my favorite.

Granted I've only played the first few scenes, but this is the first game I've had this kind of enjoyment of in a while. This and Vanquish, that is-- October is going to be a busy game month for me. And I was totally expecting to dislike it because it was billed as a reboot of That Series. How shallow can I possibly be?

Someone else talk now.

Badoor
150th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Random thread, random edition" , posted Wed 13 Oct 09:53:post reply

quote:

Someone else talk now.

You should check the extras menu and turn on the enemy health, exp gained, and attack damage to maximize your Castlevania experience.
I finished the game a few days ago and it's not perfect but I really loved it honestly. I might gather some thought about it at another time.

[this message was edited by Badoor on Wed 13 Oct 09:54]

Maou
2086th Post

"Re(4):Random thread, random edition" , posted Wed 13 Oct 10:02post reply

quote:

Castlevania
Lords of Shadow certainly
Pissed me off today
Not only Dracula but Dracula haiku within seven posts of a randomthread? You have fists of god! This is superb, I have a good feeling about this thread.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

nobinobita
825th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Random thread, random edition" , posted Wed 13 Oct 15:25post reply

quote:

The only series that I have absolutely no qualms for and that I think that it's just totally awesome is Pink Lady... It's the story of some art students that bump up into each other and just rub each other on the worst way possible (though, unknown to them they do share a common background). The series itself utilize many refe

Thanks for the recommendation! This series looks interesting. It has very nice colors and a drawing style that's somwhere between a shoujo manga (proportions) and an RPG (rendering style). Alot of newer East Asian comics seem to have a similar approach. Another interesting thing is that the characters are drawn on layers, and it looks like there's a base male and female body, again, kind of like a video game. I wonder if that's the artist's background (I've been doing templated avatar stuff all month so it really stuck out to me).

Here's a link to my favorite Korean comic:

http://izismile.com/2010/06/07/funny_korean_comic_strips_41_pics.html

The name of the comic and the artist elude me right now, but I was able to instantly find it by googling "funny korean webcomic".

There was another non humorous, completely serious Korean web comic that I used to follow that was about the 1001 Nights. Dang, it was really good. Now I gotta go search for it.

In any case, the 1001 Nights comic had a linear narrative and it was told one panel at a time in the same vertical format as most gag comics. This seems to be pretty standard for Korean web comics, probably because most gag strips in Asia are vertically oriented (not horizontal like American funnies).

www.art-eater.com

Toxico
5157th Post

"Re(3):Random thread, random edition" , posted Wed 13 Oct 17:13post reply

quote:

Thanks for the recommendation! This series looks interesting.

... I wonder if that's the artist's background (I've been doing templated avatar stuff all month so it really stuck out to me).

I remember reading that he had a college degree on a certain art speciality, but I could never properly look into how truthful was that... BTW, this happens to be his blog (... I think).

After this brief -sponsored by our sponsors- halt, we now return to our regular broadcast (that would be Castlevania).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

kofoguz
875th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Random thread, random edition" , posted Wed 13 Oct 20:49post reply

quote:

The name of the comic and the artist elude me right now, but I was able to instantly find it by googling "funny korean webcomic".

I think this might be the inspiration for the deception.

Ishmael
3912th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a

"Re(4):Random thread, random edition" , posted Thu 14 Oct 00:02post reply

quote:
The only series that I have absolutely no qualms for and that I think that it's just totally awesome is Pink Lady...

I'm holding out for the terrible American remake Pink Lady and Jeff.

quote:

This, however, is a terrific way to waste the morning.

In game related news the zombie trend in both Yakuza and Red Dead Redemption is something I want to see continue. Since zombies don't think they must be the easiest game antagonists in the world to program. Because of how easy it is to whip up a big, dumb mob of zombies I want to see more zombie content added into non-zombie games. Will the girls in a dating simulator love you more if you rescue them from zombies? Can Sonic find new ways to disappoint fans when he faces the zombie hordes? The possibilities are endless.

HAYATO
1005th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(5):Random thread, random edition" , posted Thu 14 Oct 03:27post reply

quote:
The only series that I have absolutely no qualms for and that I think that it's just totally awesome is Pink Lady...
I'm holding out for the terrible American remake Pink Lady and Jeff.

This, however, is a terrific way to waste the morning.

In game related news the zombie trend in both Yakuza and Red Dead Redemption is something I want to see continue. Since zombies don't think they must be the easiest game antagonists in the world to program. Because of how easy it is to whip up a big, dumb mob of zombies I want to see more zombie content added into non-zombie games. Will the girls in a dating simulator love you more if you rescue them from zombies? Can Sonic find new ways to disappoint fans when he faces the zombie hordes? The possibilities are endless.

Will ronery otakus keep marrying their virtual loli maids if they get zombified all of a sudden?... Wait, that kinda reminds me of THIS

karasu99
449th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Random thread, random edition" , posted Thu 14 Oct 03:43post reply

quote:

Guwah, I'm really a little put off by the constant stream of zombies in games lately. I think they've joined ninjas as one of those kitschy game elements that tons of developers keep throwing into their games when they can't think of a better choice. After all, zombies SELL!

Unfortunately, the presence of zombies in so many games of late that don't actually require them for gameplay reasons has started to turn me off on games that kind of require them, like Dead Rising 2.

Don't get me wrong, I like zombies (and ninjas, of course!) in games, but Red Dead Redemption? What the hell? Yakuza? Huh? Zombies are such an easy gimmick that it's like these guys are just phoning it in.

shindekudasai
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):Random thread undead edition" , posted Thu 14 Oct 06:33post reply

For anyone who hasn't seen vids of Julius or Maria in CVHD, here ya go.

2 hours worth.

HAYATO
1006th Post

"Re(7):Random thread undead edition" , posted Thu 14 Oct 22:58post reply

quote:
For anyone who hasn't seen vids of Julius or Maria in CVHD, here ya go.

2 hours worth.

I loved the soundtrack from the options screen. Aside from that, the game seems a bit bland and uninspiring (its collage status being blatantly esposed), although I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. Who knows, it could end being entertaining after all...

shindekudasai
362th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):Random thread undead edition" , posted Fri 15 Oct 02:13post reply

The whole soundtrack is made of win. Especially how they took certain songs I wasn't crazy about (like the church music from Aria of Sorrow) and Dracula Battle-ified 'em.

On that note, 5 new songs were announced yesterday as DLC:
- "Pitiful Scion" (aka Tragic Prince/Young Nobleman of Sadness from Symphony of the Night)
- "Pitch Black Intrusion" (Lost Village/main theme from Dawn of Sorrow)
- "Invitation of a Crazed Moon" (entrance hall theme from Portrait of Ruin)
- "The Hidden Curse" (forest theme from Portrait)
- "An Empty Tome" (main theme from Order or Ecclesia)

And despite the patchwork nature of the game, I really wish I had a 360 so I could play. I enjoyed each game enough that I don't mind the 'building blocks' used for the levels, and the multi-player aspect really appeals to me. Plus I can't wait to see how they approach the other DLC characters (rumored to be Richter, Yoko, Hammer and Simon).

Toxico
5159th Post

"Re(9):Random thread undead edition" , posted Fri 15 Oct 02:54:post reply

quote:
Plus I can't wait to see how they approach the other DLC characters (rumored to be Richter, Yoko, Hammer and Simon).

Yoko as in the mage, right? But.... isn't Yoko Belnades already in the game? I mean, she has already an official portrait and CA assigned.

Then again, I haven't been following the game too much, I can only hope to do so when and if they made a psn version of it (In other words, it's not like I know ).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 15 Oct 03:02]

shindekudasai
363th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(10):Random thread undead edition" , posted Fri 15 Oct 04:31post reply

Ahh, looks like Yoko was already confirmed then. Sweet! Now we just wait and see what sprite they decide to use for Simon. I'd LOL all the way out the door if they went the Harmony of Dissonance route and used his 8-bit sprite.

karasu99
450th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Random thread undead edition" , posted Fri 15 Oct 06:01post reply

quote:
Ahh, looks like Yoko was already confirmed then. Sweet! Now we just wait and see what sprite they decide to use for Simon. I'd LOL all the way out the door if they went the Harmony of Dissonance route and used his 8-bit sprite.

My money is on the remade Simon sprite from Castlevania Chronicle. If the ever decided to add Ralph C., they could use the great sprite from the zombie version of him in SOTN.

For some reason I haven't picked this up yet, but it looks pretty fun. It makes me think of the kind of game some enterprising fans might have made years ago.

Ishmael
3913th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Random thread undead edition" , posted Fri 15 Oct 09:58post reply

Disney pulls the plug on PotC themed action/RPG. This is disappointing news since there are far too few games out there that let me go a'pirating all over the seven seas. While this game may not have been the pirate game of my dreams even a semi-decent pirate game would have been better than nothing at all.

shindekudasai
364th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Random thread undead edition" , posted Sat 16 Oct 11:20post reply

Aforementioned CV DLC tunes can be heard here,
Courtesy of the Chapel of Resonance forums. With the exception of Tragic Prince, I think they all sound great. Your mileage may vary.

Toxico
5161th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Random thread undead edition" , posted Sat 16 Oct 15:48:post reply

What a horrible night to have a curse... Tche- And there I was just thinking that I could eternally escape from that game

Supposedly, the game is already available in the your nearest retailer (so, please just turn the opposite way and run for your lives).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sat 16 Oct 16:18]

Maou
2088th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Random thread undead edition" , posted Sun 17 Oct 04:52:post reply

quote:
What a horrible night to have a curse... Tche- And there I was just thinking that I could eternally escape from that game
The foul and unnatural resurrection of a legendary hero (game) and its vile transformation into an agent of evil does make for kind of an exciting Halloween story, I suppose, so at least we have that. The Estpolis II remake is now the Richter Belmont of video games.

and to restate the most important point from earlier

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 17 Oct 04:56]

Iggy
9190th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Random thread undead edition" , posted Mon 18 Oct 02:02post reply

I remember reading here some reaction on Ryu ga Gotoku 3's censorship and lacking US edition, but I'm relieve to see that the western edition of "Yakuza 4" will also have 5 mini games and 22 sub-stories cut "for faster translation".

Yeah, I can imagine the game would be translated faster if you cut out half of it. It does make perfect sense.

Ishmael
3914th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Random thread undead edition" , posted Mon 18 Oct 23:18post reply

quote:
I remember reading here some reaction on Ryu ga Gotoku 3's censorship and lacking US edition, but I'm relieve to see that the western edition of "Yakuza 4" will also have 5 mini games and 22 sub-stories cut "for faster translation".

Yeah, I can imagine the game would be translated faster if you cut out half of it. It does make perfect sense.

It's shocking how being unhappy with Sega has become the standard view of the company. Someone needs to stage an intervention to get Sega out of this self-destructive cycle.

Sega should look at Squenix and its recent admission that the people behind FFXIII spent years working on the game in spite of having no clue as to what they were hoping to accomplish. Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery.

HAYATO
1008th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Random thread undead edition" , posted Tue 19 Oct 08:36post reply

quote:

It's shocking how being unhappy with Sega has become the standard view of the company. Someone needs to stage an intervention to get Sega out of this self-destructive cycle.

Sega should look at Squenix and its recent admission that the people behind FFXIII spent years working on the game in spite of having no clue as to what they were hoping to accomplish. Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery.

Well, not that admitting it had made them learn anything useful for FFXIV, though...

Maou
2090th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Random thread undead edition" , posted Tue 19 Oct 12:45:post reply

quote:
Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery.
Heheheh. Admittedly, I can't escape the impression that the multiple-decade-spanning awfulness of Sega America, transcending time and history, is part of a great ironic joke by Sega for the modern age. If it weren't such a drag for the poor American players, it would be sidesplittingly hilarious how Sega USA continues to operate as if it's 1993 or so (hacking up their games and giving Americans boxart so awful it has to be a retro Rockman 9 type joke, but it isn't).

Or maybe it's part of a modern continuation of the Sega Japan-Sega USA rivalry from the early days, only now Sega Japan will produce mostly awful games in the Sonic series while Sega USA will strike to outdo them with their resoundingly incompetent 1990's management. Face-off!

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 19 Oct 12:49]

Spoon
2032th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Random thread undead edition" , posted Tue 19 Oct 14:04post reply

quote:
Sega should look at Squenix and its recent admission that the people behind FFXIII spent years working on the game in spite of having no clue as to what they were hoping to accomplish.

A quote which kind of shocked me was, "Although a vertical slice is commonplace in Western development, this was never actually practiced with our teams unless there was a company requirement. "

.... I kind of wonder if this is unique to Square or if this is a common business practice with other major Japanese developers.

Nobinobita
828th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Random thread undead edition" , posted Tue 19 Oct 16:42post reply

quote:

A quote which kind of shocked me was, "Although a vertical slice is commonplace in Western development, this was never actually practiced with our teams unless there was a company requirement. "

.... I kind of wonder if this is unique to Square or if this is a common business practice with other major Japanese developers.

The vertical slice approach is not as common in the American industry as these magazines and game companies would like you to believe. Lack of focus is a big problem world wide, especially in larger companies.

www.art-eater.com

Toxico
5161th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Random thread undead edition" , posted Tue 19 Oct 17:04post reply

quote:

I was planning to advertise Yakuza 3 to Ishmael with something in the lines of "I know we all miss playing slow motion pin pon with super models in an onsen, but that's not enough to pass on playing golf with congressmen and punching american politics in the face", and then Sega goes and rains on my parade with.... This. Certainly, Sega is behaving like this little stupid dirty kid that promises not to steal again, but manages to go astray as soon as a chance pops up....

On unrelated news, we already know where SNK is going to publish that third party flying shooting witches eroge game. From the looks of it, It's going to be an xbald live exclusive title... In a sense, I kinda miss the times where shows like Votoms where on season and we didn't had to stand any self angst powered pacifist bishie, no kuro loli and certainly not any stupid singer acting like if they are important.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Last update : Chapter 21 as of 15/10/10

Freeter
4526th Post

"randomly random" , posted Tue 19 Oct 22:31:post reply

Turnabout Layton?

[this message was edited by Freeter on Tue 19 Oct 22:49]

badoor
150th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):randomly random" , posted Wed 20 Oct 03:26post reply

quote:
Turnabout Layton?

A Capcom crossover title? You don't say.

Ishmael
3915th Post

"Re(1):randomly random" , posted Wed 20 Oct 03:44post reply

quote:
Turnabout Layton?

Obligatory shaky cam footage.

quote:
I was planning to advertise Yakuza 3 to Ishmael with something in the lines of "I know we all miss playing slow motion pin pon with super models in an onsen, but that's not enough to pass on playing golf with congressmen and punching american politics in the face", and then Sega goes and rains on my parade with.... This. Certainly, Sega is behaving like this little stupid dirty kid that promises not to steal again, but manages to go astray as soon as a chance pops up....

At some point I will pick up a used copy of Yakuza 3 so I can enjoy what there is of the game while not giving Sega any money for such a poor port. I don't know what I'm hoping to prove with all that but at this point I'm resigned to the fact that I have a very dysfunctional relationship with Sega. Will Vanquish be the game that sets everything back on track or will it be yet another cruel PS3 Bayonetta style trick?

sfried
582th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):randomly random" , posted Wed 20 Oct 12:19:post reply

quote:
Obligatory shaky cam footage.

Official Site has opened. High res trailer can be viewed there.

Or just watch it off youtube.

Speaking of living in medieval/dark times, here's the latest video of The Last Story.

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 20 Oct 15:55]

Freeter
4526th Post

"Re(3):randomly random" , posted Wed 20 Oct 13:12post reply

quote:

Speaking of living in medieval/dark times, here's the latest video of The Last Story.

Same link as the Layton vid. Found it though.

My Wii is ready. My body is not.

Digitalboy
703th Post

"Re(4):randomly random" , posted Wed 20 Oct 15:59post reply

quote:

My Wii is ready. My body is not.

I don't know how to live

Ishmael
3916th Post

"Re(5):randomly random" , posted Thu 21 Oct 01:50post reply

The voting continues on the Rockman Dash girls. Feel free to rejoice or despair depending on how your favorite is doing.

Switching topics, I tried out the PS3 demo for Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage last night. (Wow, going from a beauty contest for girls to manly men fighting each other... stereotypical gender roles are strictly enforced in this post!) As for the demo I found it to be a bit clunky of an exercise that moved at its own slow, erratic pace and would occasionally cut loose with absurd violence. Since this describes HnK to a tee I was delighted with the game adaptation. Having "Ai wo Torimodose" hidden in the demo was a nice touch.

Maou
2090th Post

"Re(6):randomly random" , posted Thu 21 Oct 10:45post reply

quote:
The voting continues on the Rockman Dash girls. Feel free to rejoice or despair depending on how your favorite is doing.

Switching topics, I tried out the PS3 demo for Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage last night. (Wow, going from a beauty contest for girls to manly men fighting each other... stereotypical gender roles are strictly enforced in this post!) As for the demo I found it to be a bit clunky of an exercise that moved at its own slow, erratic pace and would occasionally cut loose with absurd violence. Since this describes HnK to a tee I was delighted with the game adaptation. Having "Ai wo Torimodose" hidden in the demo was a nice touch.

I cannot overstate how important to my enjoyment of any HnK game it will be to have a vocal version of You Wa SHOCK included.

karasu99
453th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):randomly random" , posted Thu 21 Oct 12:13post reply

quote:
Will Vanquish be the game that sets everything back on track or will it be yet another cruel PS3 Bayonetta style trick?

Anyone playing it yet? I just started it and so far... so good!

For some reason I'm strangely compelled by the idea of Layton v Ace Attorney, even though I don't especially think much of either franchise on its own. Maybe it's because I am from the generation of game players who talked constantly about there being crossovers (but didn't get to play any till years later).

Gojira
2658th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(7):randomly random" , posted Thu 21 Oct 12:21post reply

quote:
I cannot overstate how important to my enjoyment of any HnK game it will be to have a vocal version of You Wa SHOCK included.

Sadly, the JP version of the game had only a Koei-remastered instrumental version of the theme. If you've ever heard a Sangoku Musou soundtrack you should know what to expect.

They have spoken of "improvements" in the international release, but somehow I don't think having the original song in was on their list. Even though it should have been.

shipoopi

HAYATO
1010th Post

"Re(8):randomly random" , posted Thu 21 Oct 16:07post reply

quote:

Sadly, the JP version of the game had only a Koei-remastered instrumental version of the theme. If you've ever heard a Sangoku Musou soundtrack you should know what to expect.

They have spoken of "improvements" in the international release, but somehow I don't think having the original song in was on their list. Even though it should have been.

As long as they include some extra costumes and violence, along with english text and the japanese voice track (wich is everything the USA/EUR/International versions are going get so far), I am more than glad with it. This fortnight is going to be so long...

Toxico
5163th Post

"Aereal eroge...." , posted Thu 21 Oct 22:14:post reply

So, SNK has updated their page with this xbald live only game that they have been hinting for long.

Famitsu article (shots)

Xbald live site (With trailer. ENG version will have ENG voices for us to dread).

Event site (with a flash game)

Official site (1 profile right now, other sections inside)

Pseudo review on english via blog

.... Now, certainly most of us have the same care for this game than what we do for the rest of SNK's pseudo eroge releases (which certainly is none at all); but let us remember the little fact that this game is actually not developed by SNK, but instead is a doujin game released in the PC a few years back and later had an arcade release (though the arcade one is an improvement from the original title... though this is an improvement over the arcade title, hence "is new").....

That would mean that if this project kicks up, SNK might get into the trend of picking up doujin titles and creating "ver 1.5" ports of them for download (I really hope that it happens just like that).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 21 Oct 22:21]

Ishmael
3918th Post

"Re(1):PSN eroge...." , posted Fri 22 Oct 02:52post reply

Has anyone mentioned that it looks like Parasite Eve 1 and 2 are coming to PSN? If not, well, it seems as if they are.

Speaking of reissues, Get Bass screens have been released. While it's always cool to see Terry Bogard out fishing what's the point of this game without that great DC reel controller?

karasu99
454th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):PSN eroge...." , posted Fri 22 Oct 05:12post reply

quote:
Has anyone mentioned that it looks like Parasite Eve 1 and 2 are coming to PSN? If not, well, it seems as if they are.

Check plus! I missed PE2 the first time around so now is my chance. Hopefully PE3 will be decent, given the ridiculous amounts of coverage it's getting.
quote:

Speaking of reissues, Get Bass screens have been released. While it's always cool to see Terry Bogard out fishing what's the point of this game without that great DC reel controller?

Yes, the reel controller is essential! You never know, some enterprising company may produce a replica.

Even though I could care less about fishing or even most fishing games, I always loved Get Bass. Sega got this one right, without a doubt.

This particular game's outrageous announcer has stuck with me for years-- "OH BE CAREFUL!" "IT'S GONE" "THE OFFRING" "SMALL ONE" etc etc.

Looks like Space Channel 5 Part 2 is coming as well. My bet is that Space Michael keeps it from coming to US PSN and XBLA though!

sfried
583th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Aereal eroge...." , posted Fri 22 Oct 14:00post reply

quote:
So, SNK has updated their page with this xbald live only game that they have been hinting for long.

Famitsu article (shots)

Xbald live site (With trailer. ENG version will have ENG voices for us to dread).

Event site (with a flash game)

Official site (1 profile right now, other sections inside)

Pseudo review on english via blog

.... Now, certainly most of us have the same care for this game than what we do for the rest of SNK's pseudo eroge releases (which certainly is none at all); but let us remember the little fact that this game is actually not developed by SNK, but instead is a doujin game released in the PC a few years back and later had an arcade release (though the arcade one is an improvement from the original title... though this is an improvement over the arcade title, hence "is new").....

That would mean that if this project kicks up, SNK might get into the trend of picking up doujin titles and creating "ver 1.5" ports of them for download (I really hope that it happens just like that).

Wait..Trouble Witches is eroge? I thought that title belonged to Touhou?

Toxico
5166th Post

"Re(2):Aereal eroge...." , posted Mon 25 Oct 04:55post reply

quote:

It's as much of an eroge as Parasite Eve (in both cases, it's the thought that counts ) Trouble Witches is not related to Touhou (aside from being a generic flying~girl~danmaku game).

In actual random news, I haven't been following this at all. I'm pretty certain that the graphics aren't going to be that hawt to begin with (I don't think that style fits my image of gundam (aka pre '00 shows), plus I'm certain that my favorite villains aren't going to be in, or are going to be unsuable, kar kar kar.

official site

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

sfried
584th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Aereal eroge...." , posted Mon 25 Oct 14:42post reply

quote:

It's as much of an eroge as Parasite Eve (in both cases, it's the thought that counts ) Trouble Witches is not related to Touhou (aside from being a generic flying~girl~danmaku game).

We had some discussion before about how Cotton doesn't "count" as an Aereal eroge despite it being generic flying~girl~semi-danmaku with sexy fairies... I never understood why, though.

Gojira
2659th Post

"Re(3):Aereal eroge...." , posted Mon 25 Oct 15:26post reply

quote:

unsuable

Outstanding typo. For a moment I was expecting Gyakuten Keiji x Gundam.

Nobinobita
835th Post

"Re(4):Aereal eroge...." , posted Mon 25 Oct 18:27post reply

quote:

We had some discussion before about how Cotton doesn't "count" as an Aereal eroge despite it being generic flying~girl~semi-danmaku with sexy fairies... I never understood why, though.

It's all about attitude. Games like Cotton and Keio Flying Squadron (a game about a loli in a bunny outfit) don't feel dirty because they are more cute than overtly sexual and are all about personality. Games like Touhou are about extreme objectification. Less about story, more about concept and aesthetic. Heck, aren't the characters in Touhou literally objects and concepts, storywise?

www.art-eater.com

Pollyanna
2970th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(5):Aereal eroge...." , posted Mon 25 Oct 20:37post reply

quote:

It's all about attitude. Games like Cotton and Keio Flying Squadron (a game about a loli in a bunny outfit) don't feel dirty because they are more cute than overtly sexual and are all about personality. Games like Touhou are about extreme objectification. Less about story, more about concept and aesthetic. Heck, aren't the characters in Touhou literally objects and concepts, storywise?

This hurts my heart! What's dirty about Touhou!? That's like calling a Ghibli movie "pedo" because it has little girls in it. Do you play the games? They're like children's stories! I don't care what the doujinshi crowd does with the series...to me, Touhou is a character-driven fairytale. I probably have as many favorite Touhou characters as I have favorite characters from other things combined. I can't say the story to every game is great, but most of them are charming in a Japanese fairytale kind of way.

I mean, like a fairytale, each game is very concept-driven, as are the characters, but I can't see how a shooting game with SO MUCH DIALOGUE could not be seen as character-driven on some level.

I can certainly see Touhou as "guilty by association", but that's like calling Sonic the Hedgehog furry porn.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
587th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):A confession..." , posted Tue 26 Oct 15:17:post reply

quote:
This hurts my heart! What's dirty about Touhou!? That's like calling a Ghibli movie "pedo" because it has little girls in it. Do you play the games? They're like children's stories! I don't care what the doujinshi crowd does with the series...to me, Touhou is a character-driven fairytale. I probably have as many favorite Touhou characters as I have favorite characters from other things combined. I can't say the story to every game is great, but most of them are charming in a Japanese fairytale kind of way.

I mean, like a fairytale, each game is very concept-driven, as are the characters, but I can't see how a shooting game with SO MUCH DIALOGUE could not be seen as character-driven on some level.
Trust me, I tried real hard to like the series. I really did. And the dialogue...doesn't make much sense at all quite frankly! I just don't find the games...that...much...fun, despite the difficulty. In fact, it might be because of this that I feel I am rewarded with so little for so much effort.
quote:
I can certainly see Touhou as "guilty by association", but that's like calling Sonic the Hedgehog furry porn.

But isn't that not much of a stretch?

Edit: Okay, rather than leave myself unexpressed with my dissonance with the franchise, I've decided to just copy-and-paste a private message I've sent in the past to one of the toastyfrog talkingtime Touhou fans, slightly abridged to remove much of my ranting towards the fanbase:
quote:
Putting the fanbase aside, rarely do I see the games try to diverge from the formula, and it automatically assumes you have played tons of bullethell shooters, as if they had no considerations given to those even new to the franchise. Even on the easiest level, they force you to weave through a barrage without first teaching you the basic principles of just dodging. (You don't slowly work your way through smaller gaps while given allowance spaces with safe "spray-free" areas such as in games like Under Defeat and DoDonPachi.) In short, it feels you have to work for these games in order for you to just remotely appreciate it, and most of that has to do with the scoring, which you probably wouldn't even care in the first place if it still hasn't hooked you. In the case of the latter part, the fans are very quick to see past the blemishes and obvious flaws that stick out in the games.

Going back to Space Invaders Extreme, for example: The first level introduces you to the power-up system. The next level has Invaders that deflect certain kinds of power ups, then later level introduce Giant Invaders, Kamikaze types, and so forth. While you might say Touhou shuffles its variety in its bosses similarly to SIE, it does so at the expence of the players patience, which is in this case, the main levels: There is none of the enemy variety I've just mentioned in Touhou. You fight hordes of faries in different formations, that's it (aside from the occassional snowflake or book). At least with SIE, even the enemies start to break up the pace, not to mention even make the player stop mashing the fire button for a moment, unlike the typical fairy fodder you find in games such as Imperishable Night and Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. The only satisfaction that you can get out of this game is from the bosses (and if you're like others, the story), but it's feels like so much work for such little reward. Unless you are playing for score, Touhou has nothing to offer in terms of normal, non-fandom-based enjoyment. It's non-pornographic porn. Fanservice at its very core, backed up by a score system that tries to heavy-handedly justify its own existence.

I'm not even going to go to the Touhou hijackers in certain web forums...but I'm pretty sure you know where I'm coming from.

And while I admit Touhou is not the only franchise out there that relies heavily on pandering to its "base" (Milestone shooters certainly count as well!), it is by far the most popular and also an example when a fanbase leads what a game series should entail, which brings us back to Sonic...wait, what?

tl;dr - The series is too insular. I know I will get strong disagreements if not the eponymous "Easy Mode" meme as a response.

[this message was edited by sfried on Tue 26 Oct 15:32]

Nobinobita
837th Post

"Re(6):Aereal eroge...." , posted Tue 26 Oct 17:17:post reply

quote:

My deepest apologies. I certainly didn't mean to distress you Polly. I am definitely speaking as an outsider giving very shallow, quick impressions.

Please allow me to clarify a few things and expand my stance a bit.

I was basing my comments on the visual presentation of each game and the attitude I get from them. Cotton and Keio Flying Squadron are very directly descended from traditional early 90s anime (I wonder if Gainax did the Keio intro). Touhou is very much a dojin game for our times. There's alot of overlap between these two, and by god, I'd love to go into a long discussion about how Keio is very prescient of dominant trends in the last 15 years of dojin art (I bet Haradaya really liked that game, or at least the school of art that it came from)... but I will try to stay focused.

Cotton and Keio Flying squadron are pretty representative of pre moe Japanese cartoon esthetics. Touhou is very post moe (though I wouldn't necessarily call it moe). The main difference is that Cotton and Keio's designs are focused on conveying broad personalities in a silly light hearted world. There's certainly sex appeal in those titles, but it's not the primary focus. Touhou is utterly concerned with beauty in every visual facet (which for some people, also means sex appeal, but this does not make Touhou dirty).

This is what I mean by objectification. Please understand that I don't consider objectification to be inherently negative. I think objectifying something is one of the most personal things anyone can do, because it requires you to draw on very deep, honest aspects of your personality. Touhou's characters are all beautiful and idealized, perhaps even fetishized. I believe they are meant to inspire a feeling of wanting to possess them, or wanting to be them (quite like a fairy tale). I'm sure alot of thought and passion went into creating the characters, their personalities, the setting, the games. I have a deep amount of respect for projects like Touhou. I believe they are every bit as personally meaningful as an indie game like Braid, which gets alot of acclaim for presenting a more easy to digest dramatic tone. I love the doujinshi scene in Japan. I really do. Even the weird gross stuff. I like how so much of it is about indulging in the most basic and private desires of the author with a total disregard for social posturing. I enjoy the indulgence, because it is honest. And I think that's what turns alot of people off to games like Touhou. They're exceptionally indulgent and uncomfortably, unabashedly honest and self absorbed.

That's the point I was driving at, with these meandering paragraphs. Touhou is representative of the last decade's trend towards indulgence in Japanese manga culture (I am using Manga as a catchall term for games, comics, illustrations, anime etc). Extreme indulgence, which can also be perceived as pandering to a niche, is probably the main divider between what people consider classic and new manga culture. Touhou is just one convenient example.

If you've read this far, thank you for indulging me in my musings!

*edit*

Just read Sfried's above post. It seems the gameplay is also extremely indulgent.
:D

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Tue 26 Oct 17:25]

Ishmael
3921th Post

"Re(7):Aereal eroge...." , posted Wed 27 Oct 04:25post reply

Interesting. When does a product go from being an expression of the creator's personal vision to being hermetically sealed in it's own quirks, references, and fetishes? Nobinobita is quite right in noting that this preaching to the masses mentality has been found in sections of Japanese pop culture for years now. Are the complaints about these aspects a sign that this trend has run its course or it is a symptom of a deeper problem? Is the rumor that Toriyama is returning to Dragon Ball a sign that the pendulum is swinging back to more populist fare or is it yet more pandering?

There's no answer to any of this, instead I'm just posting some thoughts that popped into my head while I was reading this thread. Considering I'm excited that the next Dynasty Warriors game will let Xiahou Dun have both eyeballs for part of the game I'm in no position to judgment on whether or not something is too fannish.

KTallguy
1266th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(8):Aereal eroge...." , posted Wed 27 Oct 11:23post reply

quote:
When does a product go from being an expression of the creator's personal vision to being hermetically sealed in it's own quirks, references, and fetishes? Nobinobita is quite right in noting that this preaching to the masses mentality has been found in sections of Japanese pop culture for years now. Are the complaints about these aspects a sign that this trend has run its course or it is a symptom of a deeper problem? Is the rumor that Toriyama is returning to Dragon Ball a sign that the pendulum is swinging back to more populist fare or is it yet more pandering?

I think it's the right of every artist to indulge themselves in any and every way they desire. Art is personal and should not be specifically catered to any audience really.

But recently there's very little coming out of Japan that I can relate to any more. Walking down the streets of Akihabara or DenDen Town, I just see tons of Moe-Kei anime and manga, and that's about it. I recently saw Redline, a glorious throwback to the anime I enjoyed 10+ years ago, but those kinds of once mainstream projects are now completely niche. There were less than 15 people in the theater in Osaka (it was a 9PM showing though).

This trend has also made its way into games, obviously. Companies that have been squeezed out of major markets like SNKP will mainly publish niche, "image" focused games with little to no mass appeal, even in their own countries.

Then bigger companies like Sega and Capcom trying to make their games as completely western as possible, to the point where the Japanese artists aren't even expressing themselves anymore, and the products have no appeal in their country of origin.

I guess this is just following market trends, but as a result, Japan's cultural relevancy abroad has started to fade. At least in terms of animation, comics, and games.

It's kind of a shame, because part of what fueled Japan's confidence is the export of their unique media culture, and if they focus too much on westernizing things, they'll lose that Japanese touch... but if the Japanese touch has focused on little girl exploitation, then it's better to not export it in the first place.

Maybe I'm off base, but that's just my impression.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

sfried
587th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Aereal eroge...." , posted Wed 27 Oct 15:05post reply

quote:
But recently there's very little coming out of Japan that I can relate to any more. Walking down the streets of Akihabara or DenDen Town, I just see tons of Moe-Kei anime and manga, and that's about it. I recently saw Redline, a glorious throwback to the anime I enjoyed 10+ years ago, but those kinds of once mainstream projects are now completely niche. There were less than 15 people in the theater in Osaka (it was a 9PM showing though).

I think this is what I exactly feel about most Japanese media in particular. Most of the subject matter now highlighted is stuff geared toward otaku, and while there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, why does everything need to be so fetishistic to the point of ridiculousness? What happened to stories about personal hardships I can relate to in real life? What about more interesting subject matter other than little girls? Why is everything set to be an escapism?

Dai Sato is correct in this regard, because with all of the progress Japanese animation has advanced in, very little is done in comparison to to push the medium to its potential. The loss of Satoshi Kon is quite a blow, too. The number of daring works seems to have minimized. In fact, I'd say its like their animation industry is facing the same dilema as the videogame industry would have over the past year, only their markets still play it way too safe.

quote:
It's kind of a shame, because part of what fueled Japan's confidence is the export of their unique media culture, and if they focus too much on westernizing things, they'll lose that Japanese touch... but if the Japanese touch has focused on little girl exploitation, then it's better to not export it in the first place.
There's the saying Japan has always been a little-bit perverted (a really bad stereotype, I know), but much of the stuff made nowdays is rather shameless. Back then they always balanced fanservice with a modestly detailed plot and themes with an interesting universe coupled to serious issues that somehow paralled real-life dillemas. Now its just recycled emotional rollercoasters in/or a fantasy settings.

Part of what fueled Japan's confidence was their uniqueness in the medium's field, but now they're just making a caricature out of themselves by recycling formulas way too much to the point of predictability and unbelievability. I know you could argue the same for Hollywood and that they only survive because they cater to the lowest common denominator, but the extreme opposite is also just as bad.

Pollyanna
2971th Post

"Re(10):Aereal eroge...." , posted Wed 27 Oct 19:12post reply

I'm very tired, but I want to reply as best I can...

On anime/moe:

quote:
Walking down the streets of Akihabara or DenDen Town, I just see tons of Moe-Kei anime and manga, and that's about it. I recently saw Redline, a glorious throwback to the anime I enjoyed 10+ years ago, but those kinds of once mainstream projects are now completely niche.

The moe boom is totally annoying, I agree...and when it comes to anime, the otaku culture barks loudly. You don't see as much of the niche titles on the surface because they're niche. Still, I can think of more interesting, artsy, or just plain enjoyable anime in the last 10 years than in the 30 before it.

When disgruntled fans say they don't watch moe shows, I want to ask "what shows HAVE you watched?" And if they haven't watched much, is it fair to form a negative opinion?

This is only somewhat related, but I remember crying unexpectedly when I was watching Yojouhan (Tatami Galaxy). I was strangely touched by nothing in particular. I just thought to myself "this is what animation is about! You can do anything! You can express yourself in ways that you can't with any other medium. Why can't more people aim for this?"

On Touhou:

quote:
Trust me, I tried real hard to like the series. I really did. And the dialogue...doesn't make much sense at all quite frankly! I just don't find the games...that...much...fun, despite the difficulty. In fact, it might be because of this that I feel I am rewarded with so little for so much effort.

The dialogue in Touhou makes your brain work. Sometimes because it's clever, sometimes because it's hard to translate and sometimes because it just isn't written that well. I like it because it's unique, though...and when it's funny, it really makes me laugh. Certainly an acquired taste.

You're absolutely right about the games being sort of "inbred" in their fandom and difficulty, though. I don't see it as different than most other shooters in that respect, though. I've had the fortune of playing fighting games for as long as they've been around...and shooters just as long, but somewhere down the line, shooters took a turn toward the elite and I couldn't keep up. Maybe it's when they stopped being big sellers and started being an otaku thing.

Anyway, in terms of shooters, I find the Touhou games fairly manageable. The lack of immediate, unlimited continues gives me something other than intrinsic motivation to keep me going. However, as you've mentioned before, some of the games have totally ridiculous rules to figure out (Imperishable Night) or are completely unreasonable on normal difficulty (UFO). Subterranean Animism on easy seems about right to me. If I recommend a game to someone, it's usually Mountain of Faith which (EXCLUDING THE LAST BOSS!) is perfectly fair on normal and does not have any ridiculous rules. I love that one of the difficulty options (I forgot which game it's in) is "for people with busy lives."

I don't mean to say that I disagree with your complaints...just that they don't bug me. I have been completely unsuccessful in getting anyone I know to enjoy a Touhou game. It's clearly a love or hate thing. But seeing that the games are made by one person, indulging his likes, I tend to be more forgiving. In that respect, I feel like the games aren't specifically pandering to the base, so much as the creator.

But of course, if you took out the themes and the characters and the music and left me ONLY with the shooting, I would probably feel like you..."rewarded with so little for so much effort."

What are some of your favorite shooters? I really WANT to love more shooting games, but modern ones are too difficult for me. The only Cave shooter I've been able to play without dying excessively is Guwange.

Chop chop chop on Nobi's passage...

quote:
And I think that's what turns alot of people off to games like Touhou. They're exceptionally indulgent and uncomfortably, unabashedly honest and self absorbed.

I put two and two together on what you said, when the answer exactly wasn't four. Ah, meaning, you said that Keio and Cotton weren't dirty or overtly sexual, then you mentioned Touhou...in my head, like you were saying IT was overtly sexual.

But I agree with everything you said. The quoted passage in particular. I remember a quote from the creator about the music...which is insanely popular (there must be thousands of remix albums by now). Someone asked how he composed it, and he said something like "I just think of the characters and make a song".

The feeling of "I'm just doing what I want to do" is evident in the games, but thankfully, I feel like what the creator wants to do is worthwhile, and unlike so many other doujinshi creators, he actually pulls it off. Still, if you're not on the same wavelength, it can be off-putting. I remember that I avoided Touhou for years because I thought it was " just some otaku thing."

I'm sorry I can't give your thoughtful reply a thoughtful reply of my own, but I've been working without break (until now) since I woke up and it is now 5:00 AM. I'd better call it a day.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
589th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Aereal eroge/Cute-Em-Ups" , posted Thu 28 Oct 09:51:post reply

quote:
What are some of your favorite shooters? I really WANT to love more shooting games, but modern ones are too difficult for me. The only Cave shooter I've been able to play without dying excessively is Guwange.
Under Defeat was really nice and felt really good. I also like Kenta Cho's stuff, and highly recommend Blast Works if you could find it in a store (Tsukimi Fighters has a nice feel to it).

Admittedly I like the minimalistic style of Warning Forever. Once I figured out how to customize the soundtrack, it became a nice stress reliever.

I also love R-Type 3: The Third Lighting. I would actually recommend this game to you since it has Unlimited Continues (but your score does get reset).

On the side note, going back the the topic of "Aereal eroge", I liked Magical Chase and its "pseudo successor" Trouble Witches. I know it's a Kirbyfied Wings/Lords of Thunder (because of the shopkeepers), but it did put the collectables to use for something other than just points since you could buy upgrades.

Red Faclon recommened Deathsmiles despite its lolifullness. I still haven't played that yet (for obvious reasons, too). I've also heard a lot of good things about Cotton 2/Boomerang. Too bad she's just relegated now to cameos...At least she's not some eroge star like Valis. Now if only someone could lend me a Japanese Saturn with those games...Or a Dreamcast with a copy of Border Down/Mars Matrix.

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 28 Oct 09:56]

KTallguy
1267th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Aereal eroge...." , posted Thu 28 Oct 10:29post reply

quote:
When disgruntled fans say they don't watch moe shows, I want to ask "what shows HAVE you watched?" And if they haven't watched much, is it fair to form a negative opinion?

Your right, part of it is that I haven't watched enough moe animation to really judge. I know that a lot of the series are good at poking fun at the trends and have deeper plots than they let on, but the atmosphere has to grab me too right?

With the internet, games, books, other hobbies, there is just too much stuff out there. And things generally cost money too (they should, anyway). It makes it difficult to give anything the benefit of the doubt anymore.

quote:
This is only somewhat related, but I remember crying unexpectedly when I was watching Yojouhan (Tatami Galaxy). I was strangely touched by nothing in particular. I just thought to myself "this is what animation is about! You can do anything! You can express yourself in ways that you can't with any other medium. Why can't more people aim for this?"

I'm 100% in favor for artsy stuff like this.
Animation is an amazing medium. I think we all know that :)

Ishmael
3923th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Aereal Mikami...." , posted Thu 28 Oct 22:22:post reply

In unrelated news, Shinji Mikami's new studio has joined ZeniMax Media. I guess it's free agency time in the world of video games.

EDIT: The official site and random info for Way of the Samurai 4 has been released. At some point I should learn to say everything I want in one post so I don't have to keep correcting myself.

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Thu 28 Oct 22:39]

Spoon
2036th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Aereal Mikami...." , posted Fri 29 Oct 01:55post reply

quote:
In unrelated news, Shinji Mikami's new studio has joined ZeniMax Media. I guess it's free agency time in the world of video games.

Masafumi Takada has made some of most fascinating game audio around, and I hope he continues to do so with Mikami's projects!

sfried
589th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Aereal Mikami...." , posted Fri 29 Oct 02:17post reply

quote:

EDIT: The official site and random info for Way of the Samurai 4 has been released. At some point I should learn to say everything I want in one post so I don't have to keep correcting myself.

So he didn't stay long with that E.A. project? And I thought he was with Platinum?

karasu99
463th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Random thread, random edition" , posted Sat 30 Oct 01:15:post reply

There was an extremely tiny mention of this a few days ago, but now we have some real screenshots of Persona 2 Innocent Sin for PSP. Given that P1 and P3 both made it outside of Japan (and both did quite well it seems), I can't imagine Atlus won't release in the US.

Maybe Eternal Punishment will be ported to PSP as well? It would be weird if it wasn't.

EDIT: Gah, also just saw this, which may be of slightly more than passing interest to some of us. Too bad I actually have to work today.

EDIT EDIT: It's always interesting to see a reference to a game I've never heard of at all, especially in a genre that I love. And Insert Credit even wrote a review of it!! Where the hell have I been?

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Sat 30 Oct 01:39]

Professor
2845th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Random thread, random edition" , posted Sat 30 Oct 02:53:post reply

Keiji Inafune is quitting Capcom tomorrow. That's a bit of a surprise.
A long, long read in Japanese

A few of the things he says in the interview

-He's quitting because he thinks he needs to change the Japanese game industry that's losing its agressiveness; with Capcom, the higher ups aren't rewarding diligent developers though they get punished for failure, and since the execs don't have any reason to be agressive since they're already at the top position of their company, as a result, everyone ends up just doing their chores like a regular salary worker.

- He knew that the execs wouldn't understand when he explained his reasons, but what was shocking to him was that the development staffs also didn't seem to understand.

- The execs don't know anything about videogames but they also don't trust the developers to think on their own.

- None of the other execs stopped him when he said he'll quit, and they vetoed him when he said he still wants to help out and make games for Capcom after he makes his own studio

- 700 developers at Capcom and they make around 4 titles in-house, meaning about 170 workers alloted per game. Very inefficient. No efforts are being made to improve this.

- Resident Evil and Monster hunter are the only in-house developments that are succeeding. The other titles like SF4, MVC3, Dead Rising are all outsourced.

- Dead Rising only had 7 Capcom staffs working with the outsourced studio(s). Or in other words, they can make a Capcom-flavored game with under 10 in-house staff. He says Capcom should halve their in-house staff to about 400 so they can keep making the hit titles in-house and outsource the rest.

- He says Overseas studios are better for outsourcing because they're more skilled than those in Japan. Unlike in Japan the workers are constantly competing because it reflects on their status; those at the bottom of the company are like slaves that can be laid off at any time.

- He also says that the overseas studios usually lack in ideas and concepts so that's where people like him come to place. However, he also notes that overseas games are better than Japanese titles right now.

-He also notes that he was the only person in Capcom to use overseas studios.

- He says Schedule and quality control management is an issue wither it's an overseas publisher or domestic.

-He says that as an exec, it was frustrating to have to constantly fight with figures and hold back on things he really wanted to do. Now he won't have to hold back.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 30 Oct 03:31]

Pollyanna
2972th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Aereal eroge/Cute-Em-Ups" , posted Sat 30 Oct 06:17post reply

quote:
What are some of your favorite shooters? I really WANT to love more shooting games, but modern ones are too difficult for me. The only Cave shooter I've been able to play without dying excessively is Guwange.Under Defeat was really nice and felt really good. I also like Kenta Cho's stuff, and highly recommend Blast Works if you could find it in a store (Tsukimi Fighters has a nice feel to it).

Admittedly I like the minimalistic style of Warning Forever. Once I figured out how to customize the soundtrack, it became a nice stress reliever.

I also love R-Type 3: The Third Lighting. I would actually recommend this game to you since it has Unlimited Continues (but your score does get reset).

On the side note, going back the the topic of "Aereal eroge", I liked Magical Chase and its "pseudo successor" Trouble Witches. I know it's a Kirbyfied Wings/Lords of Thunder (because of the shopkeepers), but it did put the collectables to use for something other than just points since you could buy upgrades.

Thanks for the list. I had wanted to try Under Defeat for a while, but never got around to it.

I think there was a misunderstanding, though...unlimited continues are NOT a good thing to me. Score is so insignificant that I don't even notice it. Unlike someone who is really into shooting games, I just want a challenge that ends with me winning the game.If I can just endlessly continue on the spot until I win, I'm not motivated to play at all. I'm very bad with intrinsic motivation. (I had intended to post something about this in your thread on difficulty, but never got around to it)

Limited continues are best, though I don't mind unlimited as long as each stage is challenging enough that it's hard enough to clear it in one shot. Some Touhou games are like that, where it might actually be smarter to start over and try to tackle a level after building up lives on the previous levels (instead of just continuing).

quote:

There was an extremely tiny mention of this a few days ago, but now we have some real screenshots of Persona 2 Innocent Sin for PSP. Given that P1 and P3 both made it outside of Japan (and both did quite well it seems), I can't imagine Atlus won't release in the US.

And here's the opening. Worth watching even if you're not a fan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkQUnth9vV4

I had hoped they would do something that mixed in the piano piece from the original opening, but seeing how much effort they put into it, I can't complain.

On anime...

quote:
Your right, part of it is that I haven't watched enough moe animation to really judge. I know that a lot of the series are good at poking fun at the trends and have deeper plots than they let on, but the atmosphere has to grab me too right?

I meant watching NON moe anime. I mean, I guess some moe anime might be okay...Higurashi is reasonably interesting, despite looking so awful. It at least has moe girls getting beat to death with baseball bats and having their fingernails ripped off one by one. I can't say Clannad is bad, even if it's not for me, and I enjoy K-on, probably because I play in a band that does more screwing around than actually playing.

But what I meant were all the shows that AREN'T moe that are good. I don't usually watch moe shows, myself. I'm saying people who complain about "there being nothing but moe shows" don't watch the NON moe shows, either. I believe there are a huge number of incredibly terrible shows out there, but comparatively more good ones than before.

On Inafune

quote:
-He's quitting because he thinks he needs to change the Japanese game industry that's losing its agressiveness; with Capcom, the higher ups aren't rewarding diligent developers though they get punished for failure, and since the execs don't have any reason to be agressive since they're already at the top position of their company, as a result, everyone ends up just doing their chores like a regular salary worker.

- He knew that the execs wouldn't understand when he explained his reasons, but what was shocking to him was that the development staffs also didn't seem to understand.

- The execs don't know anything about videogames but they also don't trust the developers to think on their own.

I was pretty "meh" about Inafune leaving. I thought "well, it's inevitable", but hearing this makes me sick. This is exactly the experience that I've had with game companies (or any company, really).

There's some idiot on top that has a vague notion of what they want to have done, hire people to do it, then do everything they can to keep those people from doing their job properly. Weighed down by vague and nonsensical decisions made by someone grasping for straws, developers are juggled between "you figure it out" and "that's not what I wanted" until they have no idea what they're doing anymore. The end result, is either a "too many cooks in the kitchen" scenario, or a watered down "just get it done" product.

That's an extreme example and of course, there are a lot more factors that go into production, but I'm sure some level of this goes on almost everywhere.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
590th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Aereal eroge/Cute-Em-Ups" , posted Sat 30 Oct 10:27post reply

quote:
Some Touhou games are like that, where it might actually be smarter to start over and try to tackle a level after building up lives on the previous levels (instead of just continuing).

These exact same games also irritate me, because all that they do is introduce a self-imposed challenge while removing any sense of reward rather than give a player incentive to move forward and improve. In short, it demoralizes you for not being "exactly how the game wants you to be", which is a perfectionist.

Maou
2108th Post

"Inafune" , posted Sat 30 Oct 11:12:post reply

quote:
There's some idiot on top that has a vague notion of what they want to have done, hire people to do it, then do everything they can to keep those people from doing their job properly. Weighed down by vague and nonsensical decisions made by someone grasping for straws
Phew, those were heavy words to read in Inafune's blog, even without the longer article. Polly's comment frankly describes most "management" as it exists in many places, Japan, US, or elsewhere. One of the nicer things about the Silicon Valley scene at least may be that some level of horizontality exists in companies, from what I understand; "upper management" and professional CEOs are almost by definition worthless given 99% of the human population's inability to manage people in an office and near-total ignorance of management theory and teambuilding. Most managers have never been taught to manage. (This makes the American mantra/obsession with business leadership all the more grating to listen to.) I remember reading some management theory and also "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team" for a civil service examination at one point and constantly thinking, "Wow, the people who were managing where I worked previously were awful given what could have been!"

Suffice to say, I hope Inafune can save the world with a small and dynamic company of people who actually know what's going on.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 30 Oct 11:24]

Pollyanna
2973th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Aereal eroge/Cute-Em-Ups" , posted Sat 30 Oct 11:25post reply

quote:

These exact same games also irritate me, because all that they do is introduce a self-imposed challenge while removing any sense of reward rather than give a player incentive to move forward and improve. In short, it demoralizes you for not being "exactly how the game wants you to be", which is a perfectionist.

I'm really confused.

Every game that doesn't give you unlimited instantaneous continues or prevents you from dying entirely introduces a "self-imposed challenge". That's like...98% of games. How can you say "removes ANY sense of reward"? Seeing the plot unfold, making it to the next level, feeling the satisfaction of beating a difficult boss, knowing that you've improved...these are all rewards.

Are you just talking about shooting games, though? So you're saying that you like to intrinsically motivate yourself (playing for score?) in shooting games? That's not how I play, but I can understand that. But as a blanket statement, I think it's a bit too broad...either that or you find most video games unrewarding and annoying.

Or maybe I TOTALLY misunderstood and you're JUST talking about Touhou games, and you're saying that by imposing a "checkpoint to pass" instead of instant continues, they're preventing your enjoyment of the game, because they demand too high of a level of perfection? And all of the "rewards" that I listed are irrelevant because you don't like Touhou anyway?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
2108th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Aereal eroge/Cute-Em-Ups" , posted Sat 30 Oct 11:29post reply

quote:

Every game that doesn't give you unlimited instantaneous continues or prevents you from dying entirely introduces a "self-imposed challenge". That's like...98% of games. How can you say "removes ANY sense of reward"?
I'm sort of in the same boat at Polly. "Self-imposed challenge" is nearly the very definition of a "game," video or otherwise. Some video games have reoriented towards "interactive movies" or "free-form experiences" (fl0wer, etc.), but a game is generally an amusement that takes work/challenge/skill to do, with a risk of failure based on rules, otherwise it would be an "action."

sfried
592th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Re(10):Aereal eroge/Cute-Em-Ups" , posted Sat 30 Oct 12:59post reply

quote:
Seeing the plot unfold, making it to the next level, feeling the satisfaction of beating a difficult boss, knowing that you've improved...these are all rewards.
And here's the problem with IoSD: I really don't find any reward in the plot, and the levels feel all the same (seriously, most of them are boring), and beating the boss is...okay I guess (but why do they have to be the same small-hitbox type)? But having to tread that amount of fluff for just a fleeting feeling of success...it feels like clicking through a bunch of text just to get to the sex scenes of an eroge, only to be disappointed.

mbisonhatclub
222th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Random thread, random edition" , posted Sat 30 Oct 13:29post reply

quote:
I know that a lot of the series are good at poking fun at the trends and have deeper plots than they let on, but the atmosphere has to grab me too right?
Yes, this is indeed true

Like what you like

I'm personally not fond of moe and everytime I see a moe character I want to punch it with a steel pipe to the face, deep or no deep

But personal bias aside, "deep" doesn't equate to "useful" or "interesting" and poking fun at trends doesn't make it "insightful" "observant" or smart

Not saying to automatically go out and hate moe, give things a try, if you have the time, and don't go hating something automatically, but at the same time, nobody should let peer pressure dictate what they enjoy just because they're out to make him feel guilty about being too uptight

Gators gonna gate

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Ishmael
3928th Post

"Re(2):Random thread, random edition" , posted Wed 3 Nov 02:39post reply

All other games currently in production are going to have to settle for second place because Way of the Samurai 4 is obviously going to be Game of the Year for 2011.

KTallguy
1269th Post

"Re(3):Random thread, random edition" , posted Fri 5 Nov 10:09:post reply

I'm really interested in Way of the Samurai 4. But I said that about 3 and I never actually bought it. Maybe if I can find it for cheap.

I understand where Inafune's frustration comes from. Unfortunately the majority of the people on the top of most large game publishers all have a marketing/business background and have never had any production experience. This leads to an us versus them relationship and bad decisions made on both sides.

I think that developers should be treated a bit more like artists, but that really expensive games also need a well defined target audience. The problem is that even an "arthouse" videogame costs a lot of money to develop, and the risk with publishing an unproven IP with no obvious target is too crazy. Too many greats have fallen (Sega) because of this issue. And games, like movies or any other paid entertainment, is still a business and that will never go away.

I think that both groups need a little cross pollination. Both are crucial to success; an auteur that makes games only for himself is OK if they don't spend millions of dollars, but they shouldn't expect to reach a large audience without big bucks in marketing. The marketing guy with no production background should acquiesce to some of the designer's crazy ideas, because otherwise their offering will bring nothing new to the table, and their product will be lost in a sea of copycats.

Some say that marketing's job is to sell the games, no matter what they might be, but unfortunately that's an untenable reality. Both groups have to work hand and hand.

I think that leaving a studio and starting your own is a good step, but the Japanese industry is super entrenched... to say nothing of the rest of the world what's the newest up-and-coming game publisher out there that isn't the result of some merger? Small, artsy studios can thrive and live off of big publisher money(Platinum), but if the direction of the industry is to change, a new publisher has to challenge the big fish and show how better practices will result in bigger sales. Too bad they'll just be out-bid and out marketed at almost every turn.

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Fri 5 Nov 10:10]

Nobinobita
840th Post

"Re(4):Random thread, random edition" , posted Fri 5 Nov 14:23post reply

quote:
I'm really interested in Way of the Samurai 4. But I said that about 3 and I never actually bought it. Maybe if I can find it for cheap.

I understand where Inafune's frustration comes from. Unfortunately the majority of the people on the top of most large game publishers all have a marketing/business background and have never had any production experience. This leads to an us versus them relationship and bad decisions made on both sides.

I think that developers should be treated a bit more like artists, but that really expensive games also need a well defined target audience. The problem is that even an "arthouse" videogame costs a lot of money to develop, and the risk with publishing an unproven IP with no obvious target is too crazy. Too many greats have fallen (Sega) because of this issue. And games, like movies or any other paid entertainment, is still a business and that will never go away.

I think that both groups need a little cross pollination. Both are crucial to success; an auteur that makes games only for himself is OK if they don't spend millions of dollars, but they shouldn't expect to reach a large audience without big bucks in marketing. The marketing guy with no production background should acquiesce to some of the designer's crazy ideas, because otherwise their offering will bring nothing new to the table, and their product will be lost in a sea of copycats.

Some say that marketing's job is to sell the games, no matter what they m

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

That was the best summary of the last decade of gaming that I've ever read. Thank you for that!

www.art-eater.com

KTallguy
1269th Post

"Re(5):Random thread, random edition" , posted Fri 5 Nov 18:36post reply

Thank YOU for your totally awesome blog, Nobinobita :)

Spoon
2040th Post

"Re(4):Random thread, random edition" , posted Fri 5 Nov 21:20post reply

Sometimes I wonder how "successful" does a creativity-focused entity need to be. Would you like to have a project that's has higher exposure, has the resources to do more, and brings in plenty of money to make everyone involved happy and finance the next project? Sure. But the change in size and scope can radically affect what you can actually make, as well as what any person's role in the project is. Some people love managing huge projects, some people are perfectly happy to be one of countless engineers on some megaproject, and some really want to do everything by themselves.

Is growing bigger just the natural way of things? I wonder if any indie game developer would choose to be happy with "moderate success", and choose to stay small. Being successful enough to stay financially independent, small enough that they can make radically different projects, and powered by some digital distribution method that keeps the publishing overhead manageable enough that it isn't dictating what their game has to be sounds like an ideal situation for a lot of people that want to make games, though achieving that much success is no mean feat.

KTallguy
1270th Post

"Re(5):Random thread, random edition" , posted Sat 6 Nov 10:41post reply

quote:
Being successful enough to stay financially independent, small enough that they can make radically different projects, and powered by some digital distribution method that keeps the publishing overhead manageable enough that it isn't dictating what their game has to be sounds like an ideal situation for a lot of people that want to make games, though achieving that much success is no mean feat.

Well you just described Valve (and Blizzard back in the day). I think Valve is an amazing place to work for people who really want to make games.

I think the main issue is that people love money, and want as much of it as humanly possible. Like the Google guys bringing in that former CEO, small studios bring in business people because they're not good at business! They're good at making games, so they want to keep doing that. It's not like their knowledge of business is non existent, but thats not where their true talent lies.

The business guy will recruit other business guys, and soon you have the situation that I described.

Unfortunately, if you want to stay in complete control of a studio, the original founders who mostly want to just make games are going to have to dip their hands in that icky business... business, and make sure that the goals of the studio aren't trampled on.

Yea, Valve is an excellent example, but I'm too damn stupid to get in there, I think. :(

Maou
2111th Post

"Re(6):Random thread, random edition" , posted Sat 6 Nov 10:48post reply

quote:

Yea, Valve is an excellent example, but I'm too damn stupid to get in there, I think. :(

Now that you mention it, KTall, Valve would be a pretty fun place to work if you're going with an American company, I bet. I can only imagine the creative crew that must have put together Portal. If I were in that line of business, it'd be fun to have been at Cing or something like that. Maybe we should make a "what kind of industry do you work?" thread or a "what game company would you enjoy hypothetically being a part of, regardless of actual skills?" thread, or not.

Gojira
2660th Post

"Re(7):Random thread, random edition" , posted Sat 6 Nov 12:52post reply

quote:

Now that you mention it, KTall, Valve would be a pretty fun place to work if you're going with an American company, I bet. I can only imagine the creative crew that must have put together Portal.

The irony of this is that the original idea for Portal was created by a very small group of seven students that Valve scouted from the Digipen Institute of Technology. So that idea didn't even originate from within Valve. Left to their own devices, Valve didn't really have the ability to make more than what they had already accomplished: more Half-Life, more Left 4 Dead, more Team Fortress. And now that a few years have passed, they're ready for more Portal too. Not to say it's bad for them, but it tells of a pretty harsh reality that many of the best developers fall into.

A lot of the most creative game designers and producers have one, maybe two great new ideas in them, tops. After that, experience becomes more of a crutch than a benefit in that people - both on the business side and among the gaming public - will just want you to do what you've been doing, and over time you spend more time thinking about improving the ideas you've developed over the years than starting over. Truth be told, that's what a lot of people WANT to do once they get into that position, because it's stable. Whereas it's usually the fresh new faces that actually have the most unique ideas and perspectives to offer, but the industry gives their jobs to those experienced older folk with 5-10 years of experience and solid but relatively unimaginative ideas.

That's why digital distribution and indy development is really one of the best possible things for this industry. It's like a return to the dark days, but unlike those days you can actually get loads of exposure without leaving your garage/basement/closet/treehouse. All you need is a great idea and the tools to carry it out. Like Moai. Yeah, that was a shameless plug for something I helped out with, but do check it out if you're interested in making your own games and know how to script in Lua. We're always looking for some feedback. Oh and BTW the main guy that's developing it is also a Digipen graduate.

Anyway, putting aside that pitch, the point is indy devs are starting to get more exposure, and the hurdle between technological know-how and creativity is getting smaller. I'm hoping something good can come of it, but in the end it's up to those big companies to take notice. Sadly, not all of them are like Valve.

Meh, I think I went off on a tangent. This probably doesn't have much to do with Inafune's issues on the Japanese stairway system, though I think elements of the problem do probably exist there.

GekigangerV
1660th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(8):Random thread, random edition" , posted Mon 8 Nov 00:44post reply

It looks like the Akira movie is still in development and Zac Efron is going to play the character based on Kaneda

Link Here

It also looks like they are going to aim for PG-13 which is a shame.

KTallguy
1272th Post

"Re(7):Random thread, random edition" , posted Mon 8 Nov 01:33post reply

quote:

Now that you mention it, KTall, Valve would be a pretty fun place to work if you're going with an American company, I bet. I can only imagine the creative crew that must have put together Portal. If I were in that line of business, it'd be fun to have been at Cing or something like that. Maybe we should make a "what kind of industry do you work?" thread or a "what game company would you enjoy hypothetically being a part of, regardless of actual skills?" thread, or not.

God, sometimes I wish I was better at programming... but yea, Valve could be a good gig...
Just the thought of working with so many talented people is exciting.
quote:

The irony of this is that the original idea for Portal was created by a very small group of seven students that Valve scouted from the Digipen Institute of Technology.

YES! This is true. But Valve took that group and gave them tons of time and $$$ (Dollaz) and allowed them to fully realize and develop that idea. That's why Valve is great. They also developed Steam, which isn't perfect, but helps many unknown games get attention and is really THE service for PC gaming right now.

And although Left for Dead 2 came out and we're feeling like it's sequel-itis already, the fact remains that Left for Dead is an extremely creative and interesting game in and of itself. And Team Fortress 2 is brilliantly designed with a unique art style and extremely easy to understand mechanics. I think Valve makes it look so easy but when you dig down, those designers really know their stuff.
quote:
...it's usually the fresh new faces that actually have the most unique ideas and perspectives to offer, but the industry gives their jobs to those experienced older folk with 5-10 years of experience and solid but relatively unimaginative ideas.

I respect and love indy games, and the fact that we have an environment where many excellent independent titles are out there making money (Minecraft, enough said), is excellent.

However I would say that there is a lot of value in experience too. Of course we focus on the great independent titles, but for every "Braid" there are 30 other platformers with a cute, non-fleshed out twist on some mechanics and not much else. If every other mainstream game is an FPS, every other indy game is a platformer (or worse, a near-copy of a retail game, look at Loco Roco versus Rolando).

5+ years of experience can make you more close minded; your ideas will become more shaped by the realities of the market based on your past projects. But for every project you learn something new: how to make your game that much more easy to grasp, how to say more with less, how to take a mechanic from "fun gimmick" to "game changing fundamental".

I'm not poo-pooing indy development at all, but indy games are very rarely games for everyone. They are games for enthusiasts. This is OK; you can't please everyone, and making a game for a very specific audience is totally fine.

But as you tread the fine line between making your game easy to understand and making your game oversimplified, you learn how to make a game that respects the player, is thought provoking and satisfying, but simultaneously an experience that the average person (or average gamer) can pick up, immediately understand and become engaged in.

With that awareness, games like Katamari Damashi, Portal, Heavy Rain, Phoenix Wright/Layton, are able to hit a slipstream and touch many people's lives.

Thanks for the link to Moai, Gojira. I will check it out! Although I don't know how to script ... well anything. :(

Ishmael
3929th Post

"Re(8):Random thread, random edition" , posted Mon 8 Nov 01:40post reply

quote:
A lot of the most creative game designers and producers have one, maybe two great new ideas in them, tops. After that, experience becomes more of a crutch than a benefit in that people - both on the business side and among the gaming public - will just want you to do what you've been doing, and over time you spend more time thinking about improving the ideas you've developed over the years than starting over. Truth be told, that's what a lot of people WANT to do once they get into that position, because it's stable. Whereas it's usually the fresh new faces that actually have the most unique ideas and perspectives to offer, but the industry gives their jobs to those experienced older folk with 5-10 years of experience and solid but relatively unimaginative ideas.

Is the best thing the videogame industry can hope for is to constantly eat itself? Yes, new ideas and blood are vital to any industry. But in the arts, creators are given the time to mature and expand on their ideas. Most businesses also benefit from having people with experience in dealing with their job. Is the game industry designed to grind up people as quickly as possible? If so, is that because of the constantly changing technology or the mind set of the industry?

quote:
It looks like the Akira movie is still in development... which is a shame.
Sorry, I'm reading between the lines there.

In game news, some new TTT2 footage has come out. I like that your partner can save you instead of waiting off-screen while you get pounded by two enemies.

Finally, I've really been enjoying how tournaments seem to be streaming almost every weekend nowadays. It's getting to the point that if the regular sports on television aren't holding my interest I can flip over and watch fighting games instead. Between that and YouTube it feels like the fighting game scene has both expanded and become a much smaller place.

Toxico
5177th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(9):Random thread, random edition" , posted Mon 8 Nov 07:33post reply

quote:

In game news, some new TTT2 footage

Unless the game offers me the ability to do a Kangaroo ~ Bear tag throw, to then have a Panda jump into the action and prevent the maneuver, it certainly is not going to grasp the the full potential that we consumers have demanded from the start.

On un-related news, While I was marveling at myself on how the Arcana Radio was so much better than the BB radio (which certainly and surprisingly, is in it's own right much better than the game ); I was then even more awestruck by the game is shaping up in 16:9. The "How it looks right now" is certainly quite an amazing improvement over the hideous, "more blurry than Disgaea 3 sprites" appetizers that we where shown initially a few months ago.

While I'm happy to see another 2d game doesn't look hideous in a HD screen, the fact that Yuki went from working in marvelous Characters like Kusaregedo or Him (Suija) to snotty little brats like Saki is a conflicting matter that will require quite the very deep soul trip on it's own for me to solve... I could try to elaborate on these short lines, but I do realize that "that's wood for another lumberjack" type of story.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Professor
2850th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Mon 8 Nov 19:36:post reply

quote:
On un-related news, While I was marveling at myself on how the Arcana Radio was so much better than the BB radio (which certainly and surprisingly, is in it's own right much better than the game )

It's just the whip cream topping.

The thing about that radio show is that you never know how much of it is scripted and how much is libbed'. If the heroine's voice actoress really thought that adding a special move that covers the opponent with thick white cream is a good idea for Arcana Heart, that's nutty beyond having Noel fight with a pair of big plump fish-meat sausages. (To the many non-BlazBlueRadio listeners: it's a recurring joke in the show for mature audiences. Noel's voice actoress sometimes reads the lines without thinking too deeply.)

That coincedently reminds me. I read the novelization of Blazblue a few weeks ago and it was waaay waaaaaaaaaaaay out of line from what I was anticipating for. I was expecting continuous brutal near-death battles like how fighting game publications normally are. Lo and behold, it turned out to be something totally like a date-sim involving Ragna, a furry, and three young magical girls.

For anyone interested in a synopsis and the in-book art, they can be found at an unofficial Blazblue forum here. BW pages first, scroll down for the colours.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 8 Nov 23:20]

Ishmael
3930th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Tue 9 Nov 02:04post reply

quote:
Lo and behold, it turned out to be something totally like a date-sim involving Ragna, a furry, and three young magical girls.

Funny, that's exactly what I would expect from BB.

Even though Splatterhouse has yet to hit the shelves Bamco has already declared it to be a dud. Way to build that pre-release hype!

karasu99
466th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Random thread, random edition" , posted Tue 9 Nov 02:33post reply

quote:
Like Moai.

Hurm, I will have to check this out! With such a Gradiusic logo, it's got to be great!

Ishmael
3931th Post

"Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Wed 10 Nov 04:16post reply

quote:

I was then even more awestruck by the game is shaping up in 16:9. The "How it looks right now" is certainly quite an amazing improvement over the hideous, "more blurry than Disgaea 3 sprites" appetizers that we where shown initially a few months ago.

I haven't been paying attention to Arcana Heart recently (who has?) but this does look a lot better than that horrible port of AH2. But won't the change in aspect ratio affect the fight? I thought they were going to create invisible walls to keep the action in a 4:3 ring and paint in the corners but it looks like the action goes across the full screen. Won't this change combos?

Toxico
5180th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Wed 10 Nov 13:46:post reply

quote:
But won't the change in aspect ratio affect the fight? I thought they were going to create invisible walls to keep the action in a 4:3 ring and paint in the corners but it looks like the action goes across the full screen. Won't this change combos?

Well, if we use our detective skillz on the vids we can certainly see that it's much less pixelated than the previous previews and there is no visible lag and bugs and staffus on it; the vids still fit a 4:3 ratio aspect...

Ther is Also that (from early reports) we have already heard that if they where to change the game to 16 : 9, the work needed to do so would more or less be a re do of every sprite from scratch and even with that the main core gameplay would be greatly altered in the finished product...

So, seeing how history has shown us already Arc system's great reluctance to recycle sprites, we can ergo deduce that the game is going to be like those xbald arcades version, where they are going to have obscene filtering along with those magicaldropesque moving pictures that where to the sides of the screen some showing ago (and that where conveniently omited from those preview vids.

So, bottom line "the butler did it", "he pasted every sprite from the arcade release, re filtered with insane amounts of works, and released the game", * drives of in the scoobie doo van while he Cues to "I wanna swing on a star" (Hudson Hawk style). * <- An actual in topic "random news" link

Dissidia doesn't fail to creep us up

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 10 Nov 23:18]

Ishmael
3932th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Thu 11 Nov 00:00post reply

The arcade version of SSF4 will be out on 12/16/10 according to Alpha Station.

The good news here is that in December I will be visiting a part of the world that still has arcades full of the most recent imported Japanese games. The bad news is that my visit there ends on the 15th of December. If I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck whatsoever.

KTallguy
1276th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Fri 12 Nov 02:12post reply

Combo breaker: I just got the new Tactics Ogre remake for PSP. Are there any SRPG fans in here? This is probably the best SRPG I've ever played :)

karasu99
468th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Fri 12 Nov 02:36post reply

quote:
Combo breaker: I just got the new Tactics Ogre remake for PSP. Are there any SRPG fans in here? This is probably the best SRPG I've ever played :)

I'm a big SRPG fan, and I'm really looking forward to this one... BUT my Japanese is pitiable, so I'm holding out for the US release. The art looks fantastic! I'd love to hear more about it if you feel like discussing it!

KTallguy
1278th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Fri 12 Nov 11:35:post reply

I just started playing so I don't have too many detailed impressions. I'll just say that the presentation is excellent, the game moves at a very fast clip (unlike the FFTactics remake), and the story and portraits are extremely attractive. The music is amazing too.

Basically this is the ultimate combo of Retro (SNES sprites) and Modern (presentation, music, effects). I think people will love it.

Edit: One other thing, the 50 turn rewind is amazing! Instead of restarting the entire stage, just rewind a few turns when your unit dies, perfect system.

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Fri 12 Nov 14:30]

mbisonhatclub
223th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Fri 12 Nov 12:45post reply

quote:
The arcade version of SSF4 will be out on 12/16/10 according to Alpha Station.

The good news here is that in December I will be visiting a part of the world that still has arcades full of the most recent imported Japanese games. The bad news is that my visit there ends on the 15th of December. If I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck whatsoever.

And...only Yun and Yang and some extra clothing and a few tweaks are being added? Well, huh. At least I know I'm not missing much in the arcades. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Loona
352th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Fri 12 Nov 23:06post reply

quote:
Are there any SRPG fans in here? This is probably the best SRPG I've ever played :)

I haven't played a whole lot of them, most of them are rather old, and the genre probably has advanced a bit beyond my experience with it, but I have some fondness for it.

I read a bit about this one, and the 2 distinguishing features I managed to ind in reviews look interesting: replacing the "taking turns" system I know from games like the SRW series and Bahamut Lagoon with something more dynamic, even if based on character stats, and the Training feature/screen, which if I understood correctly lets you level up underleveled characters between plot missions.

I still find it interesting how SRPG ended up being the genre of choice when making a crossover game between Gundam, Mazinger and Getter, and how the SRW series managed to expand well beyond that and to contemplate features unique to so many different kinds of shows in a fairly choesive manner - I do wonder however, if nowadays there's still time/patience among most people to go through such typical long stages with all those menus for every little action...

I've been enjoying KOF Sky Stage recently, more than I expected actually, so I can't help but think what other genres would work to tell the same kinds of stories, yet contemplate all those characters have of unique about them - I always end up thinking about SRW and how a SRPG would work for a fighting game crossover and what would need to be changed (like square grids to hexa grids for dodging while maintaining the distance, for example) to keep the movement and (counter)attacks fluid while removing the execution barrier th actual fighting games will probably never let go of...
Then I remember the battle system in Live-a-Live and how it did away with turns (but kept the menus...), then I look for games with comparable battle systems, and remember I may need to look into Treasure Hunter G and Emerald Dragon one of these days...

Yeah, I've been thinking perhaps a bit too much about this lately, sorry about that...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

KTallguy
1278th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Fri 12 Nov 23:40post reply

quote:
I do wonder however, if nowadays there's still time/patience among most people to go through such typical long stages with all those menus for every little action...

The short answer is ... well ... most people don't have that patience! SRPGs are cheap to make though, and there is a hardcore contingent in Japan that likes them, so we have the Disgaea series and stuff. But I must say, the presentation in this game is leaps and bounds over any other SRPG I've played (well, the Super Robot series is over the top but the animations are too long for my taste).

SRPGs aren't really like fighting games because there is no execution under pressure. I would say that RTS are more like fighting games. In Starcraft you "dance" your units in and out of range of the opponents units, hoping to catch them out of position or distract them while bringing around other units from behind.

SRPGs are more about building a team little by little and learning the different nuances of the different jobs and their advantages and disadvantages. Then you figure out the best formations and ways to approach different battle situations.

For example, in Tactics Ogre PSP, there is a skill where warriors can be positioned near choke points, and any enemy that tries to move through automatically be frozen when they pass by this warrior. So effectively the warrior can block passage while you keep your magic users and archers in the back, where they can use their superior range and abilities safely. But the opponent can also utilize archers, and if they are on higher ground they can fire over the heads of the warriors, etc.

In that way, SRPGs are more akin to a chess match of sorts, where you are maneuvering pieces in different locations to create the most advantageous situation, but the challenge is finding that advantage, not executing on it.

Oh but I love live a live ! I think that system revisited could be really amazing!

Spoon
2045th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Sat 13 Nov 00:58post reply

quote:
SRPGs aren't really like fighting games because there is no execution under pressure. I would say that RTS are more like fighting games. In Starcraft you "dance" your units in and out of range of the opponents units, hoping to catch them out of position or distract them while bringing around other units from behind.

I always think of the PSP R-Type SRPG as being strangely fighting-game like, in large part because of the enormous range and devastating power of many attacks. It's like playing footsies in a fighting game!

quote:
live-a-live

please don't let me get started i have a lot of homework to do today :(

Loona
353th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Sat 13 Nov 00:59post reply

quote:
SRPGs are cheap to make though, and there is a hardcore contingent in Japan that likes them, so we have the Disgaea series and stuff. But I must say, the presentation in this game is leaps and bounds over any other SRPG I've played (well, the Super Robot series is over the top but the animations are too long for my taste).

That's one of the odd things about the turn system in that series - you can have very simple attacks, and those ultra long dynamic kills (which some games don't let you skip, because the developers don't like you ignoring their hard work on them - still, they could do what some eroges do: unskippable the 1st time you see it, then skip away every other time if you want), and it takes them all the same turn to do it. Not to mention that if a unit's attacked it can do a long attack as a counter lots of times per turn if it has the EN/ammo.

Which is why I mentioned Live-a-Live - attacks there didn't use MP or anything, but they had a start-up time and possible target areas in the 2D battle grid (dunno about a recovery time), and when you weren't attacking you could move at will. A great little system which flowed nicely when I used it, but I'd have to play it again to recall how well it worked when you were controlling a team and had levelled enough to have lots of possible attack options...

quote:

SRPGs aren't really like fighting games because there is no execution under pressure.

Thus this little thought exercise of mine - removing the execution barrier by envisioning characters in a different genre.

I can see Ryu working in a grid system having a purpose for each of his specials, given some prerequisites:
* for example, you can move to an adjacent place in a grid by walking or dashing, but could move 2 places in the grid by jumping, which would also allow you to get behind a character adjacent to you.
* moving is never instant (nothing is), so if you have grid cells in a line, A|B|C, and you're in A and want to move to C, you don't skip B, it's a moment in game game during which another character could be doing something - like attacking B or dropping a trap in C.
* nothing is instant, which includes attacks - once you've commited to something, it'll be done all the way to the end unless that character/move has ways to be cancelled or interrupted by some other action, or is interrupted by another character's action.

(the puzzle for the concept is mostly how to handle the flow of time - maybe let time flow by itself when every player character's in a state impossible to control because they've already started something, but beyond that it's finding a balance between too much control to micromanage actions frame-by-frame - if the start of the "idle" phases would work like traditional turns, the option of delay them as much as you want should be there to, for example, react properly to an enemy unit's attack moving toward your, without telegraphing too early exactly what you're doing so he'll have time to change the attack or get other units to go stop you -, or let time flow anyway, and have the execution barrier - controlling things with proper timing, harder if dealing with menus - that the concept was meant to avoid in the 1st place)

With this, Ryu's classic specials all have a purpose:
* Hadoken: hit a character in a line for a certain range. Maybe a Shinkuu version could hit several in a row, referencing Vs series beams.
* Shoryuken: hit a character trying to jump behind you, but could also hit an adcacent character in the direction you're facing.
* Tatsumaki Sempukyaku: moving a few cells in a given durection while hitting stuff around you. A Shinkuu/EX version could just deliver hits all around you without you moving
* that kick special from SF3 and TvC: hit a character in front of you so that he's pushed to a different cell - possibly putting him range of another character of yours ready to attack.

quote:
I would say that RTS are more like fighting games. In Starcraft you "dance" your units in and out of range of the opponents units, hoping to catch them out of position or distract them while bringing around other units from behind.

It's the sort of thing I'd like to avoid - high-level SC seems to rely a lot of precise and quick micro and macro management of several units at once. It's like the strategy equivalent or those insane expert challenges in KoF2002UM which few people can realistically expect to ever complete.

quote:

SRPGs are more about building a team little by little and learning the different nuances of the different jobs and their advantages and disadvantages. Then you figure out the best formations and ways to approach different battle situations.

That's the part I like and think could work well for some fighting game characters: just think of the variety of support actions some characters had as strikers in KoF2000 that they couldn't use while playable (iirc, Athena could heal your character, or at least add to your power bar, Shingo could immobilize an opponent, etc...), or even some of their cards in the CFC series (like Terry not being prevented from defending after attacking, implying good recovery time, or some character cards having skills that would only damage high-powered cards).
Heck, think about actually having KoF teams actually working as full teams with all 3 characters active, instead of one at a time or simply switching between them so only one is ever fighting.

I need to get back to programming some day, at least graphics-handling stuf they never covered in college...

KTallguy
1280th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Mon 15 Nov 15:04post reply

Lotsa great stuff!

I just want to address 2 things:

Livealive has a cool system and a lot of neat things, but the positioning idea doesn't really work in that game very well. The field is so small and normally you can't really dodge attacks, so you end up only moving a little bit and using a lot of special full screen attacks. The real time positioning of in games like Valkyria Chronicles and Dragon Quarter are a bit more interesting in my opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong on LiveaLive, Spoon (gl on your homework).

The system you're describing reminds me of something I'd like to call "theory fighter": people begin to talk about their fighter of choice, and how if their opponent threw out this move at this time, all they would have to do is X defensive technique or X counter attack to beat them.

If as you say, every move has a start up time and you have to commit to movement, it seems like it would be really risky to be aggressive. In traditional fighting games, because of the time/reflex barrier you can't react perfectly to everything without some element of prediction: you read that your opponent will take an action and you counter. If before Ryu throws a hadouken I can already see he is preparing to, the smartest thing to do is wait until he throws it, move the shortest amount of distance to dodge, and then do my fastest possible move to hurt him. I assume these moves have some sort of vulnerability window at the end.

Now if there are multiple characters, it gets a bit more interesting. Using one character to prevent an enemy from moving and attacking with another, controlling space is what makes SRPGs fun. But if it's a game about handling the flow of time, I would play a reactive game, move when my opponent was preparing to attack, take the shortest attack and chip the enemy to death.

It really depends on how you design it. There are a lot of games that do the real time hybrid with pause option, like Baulder's gate, but that game has pretty poor combat in my opinion.

Badoor
152th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Mon 15 Nov 19:25post reply

Shenmue city social + mobile game liveblog with appearance by Yu Duzuki, Segata Sanshiro, and Sunsuft president(it's finished):
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/15/shenmue_city_live_blog/

It seems that Yu Suzuki is still holding on to the promise of finishing Shenmue's story in possibly a true sequel as this social game seems to take place either before or during Shenmue 1. Fighting hard day and and night to fulfill his destiny, Segata Sanshiro would certainly approve of that. Coincedentally, Segata would be playing Ryo's dad.

Loona
354th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Tue 16 Nov 00:52post reply

quote:
Livealive has a cool system and a lot of neat things, but the positioning idea doesn't really work in that game very well. The field is so small and normally you can't really dodge attacks, so you end up only moving a little bit and using a lot of special full screen attacks.

I tried the final part of LAL again during the weekend, and I have to disagree with the part regarding positioning - it does work to an extent, once you see which paths or areas an enemy atack can cover (avoiding diagonals tends to be a safe bet in a few fights, especially the western boss), but to make up for it, sometimes enemies move at the same time you do, and by the time you get your character in a safe spot, you may find the rest of your party is in a vulnarable place, and can't switch them until you do something with your current guy - and you don't know if the next turn will be yours or the enemy's.
The game does have automatic dodging in some cases, probably depending on stats, which fortunately can activate even on enemy AoE attacks.
I don't think the size of the arenas is too small, although it probably encourages a limited amount of attack paths (as do the limited enemy sprites - the prime example is the western boss' gatling gun attack: his sprte is aiming diagonally, and that the one path you need to avoid to be safe), instead of something more generally range-based.

quote:

The real time positioning of in games like Valkyria Chronicles and Dragon Quarter are a bit more interesting in my opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong on LiveaLive, Spoon (gl on your homework).

I just read a bit on those two - though lacking the experience, briefly reading about VC's shift between a wider map view an single character focus makes me curous... then again, it seems to rely a lot on ranged weapons, which might not translate well to unarmed combat...
What I did read about Dragon Quarter reminded me of this weekend's very short experience with Treasure Hunter G: it's also fairly dynamic, you can move around during fights, and during your turn you have a few action points you can spend moving and attacking - the direction characters are facing is important too, as a hit from behind does more damage (not sure about the sides), and you can move and hit trough diagonals - helps save on action points from moving, as it doesn't use action points, and does make moving around on a square grid a bit more flexibly than non-hexa-grid systems where "around" means only 4 directions; as it was a very quick emulator experience and I forgot were the shoulder buttons were assigned to, I didn't try enough of this to see how well it flowed.

quote:

The system you're describing reminds me of something I'd like to call "theory fighter": people begin to talk about their fighter of choice, and how if their opponent threw out this move at this time, all they would have to do is X defensive technique or X counter attack to beat them.

Stuff like this is why I think having a little random variation in these timings might be interesting, maybe improving the timing margins through frequent use would be an option.

One thing that crossed my mind regarding regular moves compared to specials is how to handle them control-wise and the possibility of combos -maybe have a button just for normal attacks, which if sufficiently used reduce recovery time from the training to automatically be followed up by another attack to combo from that if you keep pressing - could be a point for character distinction, but then I think about the movesets of characters in 3D games like Tekken and VF, and how most useful moves tend to be fairly "normal", or at least look that way, but their usefulness tends to be circumstantial - characters like that could have long possible combos to make up for a limited set of special-ish moves, but that's probably too limiting and repetitive... at least if I'm trying to do away with states like crouching and the associated blocking properties for the sake of simplicity... at most I can think of slight variations like attacks that push or bring a character to the floor - but that's the sort of thing that traditional specials do so the concepts may need to be blurred...

I think about the possibility of having some sort of color code showing if a character is idle (maybe green), starting an attack (maybe yellow), in the actual attacking frames (red), recovering from finishing an attack (maybe blue) with a few variations throughout (maybe orange for the frames after an attack if it has a possible follow-up, like Kyo's Aragami chains; still undecided on colors for stuff like charging power, Geese-ish counter-stances, taunting, fallen on the floor, etc...).

I figure knowing what's happening at any given time, but not knowing exactly how long it could last could keep things interesting, or at least a little less algorithmic.

quote:

I assume these moves have some sort of vulnerability window at the end.

Wouldn't have it any other way. The classic counter-attack example to interrupt someone else's attack is the Shoryuken, which has always been balanced by being extremely punishable when it misses.

The multiple character thing would be a strong point - I mentioned things like KoF striker actions, but stuff like taunting to make a character turn around (then having another attack the turned character from the back) could work nively, as could choosing your move taking into account how many enemies you're dealing with and where they are; if blocking only protects you from one direction, it may be less practical if you're being zerged rushed from all sides, but maybe safer than a Rising Stormish move that hits everyone adjacent to you, but maybe leaving you vulnerable from a long recovery time if anyone survives - or instead using a dashing attack to reposition yourself while hitting someone on the way.

My usual source for translated SNES games doesn't seem to have Emerald Dragon in English, but I really need to go look for that one: I read good things on its battle system, and an intriguing one is you only ever control a single character, everyone else is the CPU's business - My experience with FFXI does help to think of an enmity system to figure out whom attacks whom by default, and letting the player stick to a given character (leaving some leeway to reactions and letting time flow more or less normally) but switching in his team or pausing to give specific orders ("stay there", "get that character's attention", "go there", "attack that guy", etc...) at will might be worth looking into.

Ishmael
3934th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, random edition" , posted Tue 16 Nov 04:22post reply

quote:
It seems that Yu Suzuki is still holding on to the promise of finishing Shenmue's story in possibly a true sequel as this social game seems to take place either before or during Shenmue 1.

I don't know how likely it is that Shenmue will be completed but seeing as how we might actually see Duke Nukem Forever stranger things have happened. But I do wonder if this new Shenmue game will produce whatever it was that Shenmue was doing. Will I be able to go to houses of complete strangers and knock on the door? Will I be able to make my character pathetically curl up on a couch and sleep? Will I still receive an allowance? These are the things that make Shenmue what it is.

Toxico
5182th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, random edi" , posted Tue 16 Nov 15:15post reply

In spite of an actual true news for all of us 2D animation maniacs, I unwarily was totally ignoring an upcoming title that is being in the works under the kind folks of 5pb named Phantom Breaker. While the designs aren't really clicking it for me, the yet nothing but still image captures of the work actually do look like a quality product... Let's hope that the company does not follow the good old trend of arcsys stiff muscles syndrom and we might have ourselves a delightful visual product around the corner available on our nearest generic phedo loving animu store. Me not being informed of this had actually something to do with the platform where the game is going to be launched (xbald).

quote:
I don't know how likely it is that Shenmue will be completed but seeing as how we might actually see Duke Nukem Forever stranger things have happened.

How could you say something so naive, Isma-yan? Recently I have discovered that my heart(s) do beat faster whenever I'm mentally faced to the possibility of Duke Nuken Forever being cancelled and or delayed yet again for all of our amusement (well; that or an announcement of Tekken x SF being nothing more than a bad joke for the trusting gaijins to buy )... Thus, It's not over until the fat lady sings, was it?

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Digitalboy
707th Post

"Re(3):Re(10)x2:Random thread, random edi" , posted Wed 17 Nov 14:19post reply

Remember when Iggy used to post fun stuff like this on the BBS? Now embrace mediocre stuff from Kotaku...

I don't know how to live

Maou
2119th Post

"Re(4):Re(10)x2:Random thread, random edi" , posted Wed 17 Nov 14:37post reply

quote:
Now embrace mediocre stuff from Kotaku...

What, like all of their writing? Hoho!

Ishmael
3937th Post

"Random Revenge" , posted Thu 18 Nov 03:00post reply

In the most random news I've heard all day, Yar's Revenge is getting a new game. It seems the housefly warrior backstory of the original has been or perhaps it hasn't. At this point it seems anything is possible.

karasu99
469th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, random edi" , posted Sat 20 Nov 05:11post reply

quote:
In spite of an actual true news for all of us 2D animation maniacs, I unwarily was totally ignoring an upcoming title that is being in the works under the kind folks of 5pb named Phantom Breaker.

Speaking of which, some screens.

Oroch
1105th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, random edi" , posted Sat 20 Nov 16:37post reply

quote:
In spite of an actual true news for all of us 2D animation maniacs, I unwarily was totally ignoring an upcoming title that is being in the works under the kind folks of 5pb named Phantom Breaker.

im drunk, but since this is a random thread its ok, thats all

m face feels numb

Ishmael
3938th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, random edi" , posted Sun 21 Nov 05:20post reply

quote:

Are there any videos of this game? It looks nice enough in screenshots but a lot of games can take a pretty picture.

quote:
m face feels numb

Why did that make me laugh?

Speaking of cheap yuks, I really doubt the Kinect or the XBox in general is ever going to catch on in Japan but I respect them for trying.

Gojira
2668th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, random edi" , posted Sun 21 Nov 06:38post reply

Following random Famitsu links, I find myself wondering why I am so interested in Danganronpa when I barely understand what it is. Do I have illnesses I am not aware of?

Toxico
5192th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, random edi" , posted Mon 29 Nov 14:35:post reply

SF vs Tekken already has a music composer.... In other words we can already guess that most music is going to be reused to a big extent (huge surprise).

.... Kinda in topic but, by checking those tweets here and there from the producers, I saw in Harada's one (Tekken's producer) this suspicious picture.... While the picture doesn't unveil anything new I can only ask if... Is that Falcoon? If it is him then he has gotten so good that I can't even recognize him

BTW, here we have another stinking SSFIV arcade rumor (what a redundant phrase, har har), it's kinda hard to buy since it pretty much contradicts the info and rumors that have been disclosed so far.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 30 Nov 04:04]

Ishmael
3942th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, random edi" , posted Tue 30 Nov 05:17post reply

quote:
SF vs Tekken already has a music composer.... In other words we can already guess that most music is going to be reused to a big extent (huge surprise).

It wouldn't be a tagging vs. sort of game if it wasn't built out of spare parts.

Good grief there are, what, four team fighting games coming out in the not too distant future? I hope everyone likes those types of games because you're going to have plenty of them soon.

quote:
.... Kinda in topic but, by checking those tweets here and there from the producers, I saw in Harada's one (Tekken's producer) this suspicious picture.... While the picture doesn't unveil anything new I can only ask if... Is that Falcoon? If it is him then he has gotten so good that I can't even recognize him
If it is Falcoon he isn't indulging himself in his art the way he had been in the past. Good for him.

In a few days the folks behind the RgG/Yakuza games are going to announce a new game that involves fighting robots and discussing the meaning of life. Here's to hoping the game is filled with plenty of awkward "Can love bloom on a battlefield?" style conversations.

badoor
153th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, random edi" , posted Wed 1 Dec 18:45post reply

Japan's infatuation about making worldwide 3rd person shooters that everyone in the world would love continues. The latest result of that is Binary Domain from Ryu ga Gotoku's Toshihiro Nagoshi.

shindekudasai
369th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, random ed" , posted Wed 1 Dec 19:47post reply

This will be the second time today I've dipped into topics I usually shy away from, and I'm sure you guys already know about it and may have discussed it to death, and if so I ignored it and I apologize.

If not, get a load of this because no matter how many vampires I whip or robot masters I rob blind this is an image I can't scrub from my mind. I'm a bit embarrassed to be a gamer right now.

Ishmael
3943th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, random ed" , posted Thu 2 Dec 08:58post reply

quote:
Japan's infatuation about making worldwide 3rd person shooters that everyone in the world would love continues. The latest result of that is Binary Domain from Ryu ga Gotoku's Toshihiro Nagoshi.

Yeesh, if you're stuck hanging out with those three losers for most of the game that title is going to be rough going. At least the robot designs were nice.

Toxico
5193th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, ran" , posted Fri 3 Dec 11:25post reply

Kinda late, but heck; This is random

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Nekros
309th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, ran" , posted Sat 4 Dec 05:58post reply

quote:
Kinda late, but heck; This is random

Miss Rouroni Kenshin so much.
I liked the manga but not the tv anime.
The flashback oav was awesome and the final movie was ok but too sad and not loyal to the main character. Anyway, one of my favourite beat 'em up series, along with Rekka No Hono and Vampire Hunter DSR.

karasu99
474th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Random thread, ran" , posted Sat 4 Dec 12:46post reply

quote:

Miss Rouroni Kenshin so much.
I liked the manga but not the tv anime.
The flashback oav was awesome and the final movie was ok but too sad and not loyal to the main character. Anyway, one of my favourite beat 'em up series, along with Rekka No Hono and Vampire Hunter DSR.

Agreed, and the game looks like the best kind of PS1 era 3D fighter. I may have to pick this one up!