Visiting Japan - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2513 Views )

Gunsmith
22th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Orochinagi WebHamster

"Visiting Japan" , posted Sun 5 Sep 02:22post reply

OSU!

In a vain attempt to distract myself from incoming mountains of work, I updated this:

http://orochinagi.com/gamer-guide-japan

The thing is, I was asked "what should a KOF fan try to do in Japan?"

So I added the section about stalking SNK. I'm thinking there is more to add, however, I am in fact, senile.

I hope you guys with your infinite knowledge would be able to suggest something that should be added to this... any ideas?

----------------------------------
How does it feel?
www.orochinagi.com

Replies:

Professor
2791th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Visiting Japan" , posted Sun 5 Sep 09:18:post reply

quote:
OSU!

In a vain attempt to distract myself from incoming mountains of work, I updated this:

http://orochinagi.com/gamer-guide-japan

The thing is, I was asked "what should a KOF fan try to do in Japan?"

So I added the section about stalking SNK. I'm thinking there is more to add, however, I am in fact, senile.

I hope you guys with your infinite knowledge would be able to suggest something that should be added to this... any ideas?

Food.

Oh wait you have food nevermind

I think you have a lot covered.
Maybe cover Ikebukuro and Nakano in the future if possible, that's about it.

BTW, the page with photos of stuff you've bought in Japan looks .. bugged? No pictures, and a series of numbers gets displayed instead.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 5 Sep 11:19]

Toxico
5120th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Visiting Japan" , posted Sun 5 Sep 11:34post reply

quote:

I think you have a lot covered.
Maybe cover Ikebukuro and Nakano in the future if possible, that's about it.

How about mentioning "important seasons", like golden week, some holidays, festivals and such (they always make it hard to book up places to stay, prices tend to rise for some tourists travel packs as well). Of course I know nothing about that subject

ho ho ho ho ho

more ho ho ho ho

and the ho ho ho ho isn't over

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 22 as of 27/08/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 19 as of 12/08/10

Loona
338th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Visiting Japan" , posted Mon 6 Sep 17:47post reply

quote:

Nice work! I wish I'd had this sort of info compressed somewhere last year - hopefully some excuse nearly as good as the 1:1 Gundam will come up to go again.

As for additions to the guide, the only thing that crosses my mind, if you have the info, is a mention of which of the arcades have SNK games that are arcade-only, like Buriki One (I recall reading that Hey! has it, but didn't manage to spend enough time in Akiba to even find the place) or the 3D Samurai Shodowns.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Professor
2808th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Akiba's Radio Kaikan closing down" , posted Thu 23 Sep 21:50:post reply

For anyone that's traveled to Japan and Akihabara, you'd probably remember the Radio Kaikan building because it's the first building you'd see when you exit the train station. The building and its huge washed out yellow sign is pretty much *the* landmark of Akiba, somewhat like the Hachiko dog in Shibuya.

So when they've announced that the Radio Kaikan is being torn down next summer to be rebuild, the repsonses, albeit only from the Otakus, were the same as taking a mallet and crushing down the Shibuya dog to give it a new and improved look.

[edit] Forgot to mention-- usually when they rebuild, they kick out all the old tenants. They've done that with two of the buildings surrounding akiba station already, then threw in Starbucks and other general-purpose stores.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 24 Sep 01:00]

Ishmael
4051th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):Akiba's Radio Kaikan closing down" , posted Sat 26 Mar 03:33post reply

This post feels awkward in light of recent events but I would be remiss if I didn't say something. I'm planning a trip to Tokyo at the end of this year so right now I'm trying to put together an itinerary for myself. The old MMCafe threads with suggestions about where to go in Japan have been a great resource for all sorts of information. Just today I found a pair of arcades within walking distance of my hotel thanks to Gunsmith's guide. So thanks for the retroactive help and if there's any new, wonderful thing I should see while I'm there please let me know.

Professor
2988th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Akiba's Radio Kaikan closing down" , posted Sat 26 Mar 20:17:post reply

quote:
This post feels awkward in light of recent events but I would be remiss if I didn't say something. I'm planning a trip to Tokyo at the end of this year so right now I'm trying to put together an itinerary for myself. The old MMCafe threads with suggestions about where to go in Japan have been a great resource for all sorts of information. Just today I found a pair of arcades within walking distance of my hotel thanks to Gunsmith's guide. So thanks for the retroactive help and if there's any new, wonderful thing I should see while I'm there please let me know.

I'm amazed you've got a vacation planned when it could be looking like this by then.

Two arcades.. what area are you staying?
Edit: Send me a mail and I'll show you something.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 27 Mar 00:24]

Iggy
9238th Post

"Re(3):Akiba's Radio Kaikan closing down" , posted Sun 27 Mar 01:59post reply

quote:
I'm amazed you've got a vacation planned when it could be looking like this by then.

If it does look like that next year, I quit my job and start a trekking agency in Saitama.

quote:

I...
... no, I'm not going to say anything.

Toxico
5289th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(4):Akiba's Radio Kaikan closing down" , posted Sun 27 Mar 05:21:post reply

quote:

I...

I made a secret personal bet that Iggy would pop out from the corner and would add a tentatively sassy comment to the conversation right after that comment.

So thank you, we all seem to fill the part that we are given, it would seem.

Now, something quite relevant to the people of the cafe and I think that someone asked a question related to this, but it would seem that GameAcho still packs some Jojo action for our entertainment, for about 90 mins of footage for our viewing.

Vid 1 At the end of the vid, when the two players stop time I totally
Vid 2

The channel has more vids, is thing of you to search for things like ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 or simply ジョジョ (both throw different result) Their event " All CAPCOM Historical-vsgame Olympic " also has some jojo matches.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sun 27 Mar 06:25]

Ishmael
4052th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(4):Akiba's Radio Kaikan closing down" , posted Sun 27 Mar 05:59post reply

quote:

It will be several months before I go so either Tokyo will have settled back into a routine by then or the whole country will have gone down the tubes to such a degree that I'll skip it and get off the plane in Honolulu instead.

As for my lodgings, I'll be staying at a hotel in Shinjuku that was recommended to me by friends. One of the selling points that they noted is that it is located next to the rail station so it not only made for easy traveling but their kids enjoyed watching the trains from the hotel window. I don't know how much use I will get out of the latter but it's always good to have an option if I can't find anything worth watching on television.

quote:
I...

Sometimes pride demands that you let the easy ones go by.

Oroch
1114th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):Akiba's Radio Kaikan closing down" , posted Sun 27 Mar 07:34post reply

quote:
If it does look like that next year, I quit my job and start a trekking agency in Saitama.

I...

:(

Toxico
5289th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(5):Akiba's Radio Kaikan closing down" , posted Sun 27 Mar 08:14post reply

quote:

Do no expect the shark to ignore the silly little innocent kids that are swimming deep in the ocean.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

Iggy
9240th Post

"Niconico no Meikyuu" , posted Sun 27 Mar 08:59post reply

quote:

...does it include that sentence as well? Damn.

On a totally different topic... Do you remember Niconico RPG, 3 or 4 years ago? The same guy started his new project, Niconico no Meikyuu.

Part1
Character Creation
Part 2

This time, the game is really heavily inspired by Romasaga, with bits of Seikaijuu or U:Saga thrown in for good measure. (Yes, U:Saga, yes. This guy is fantastic).
The memes have been updated, with some good old (Pikomaru can be created as a human, Rockman as a robot, the Keyboard Crasher and Gouki are some of the sprites you can chose when you create a demon, and Earth Defence Force is a totally normal job) and new (El Shaddai couldn't be avoided in 2011!).

Still, it looks less about writing a convulsed plot to link up all the jokes with bits of RPG thrown in between, and more of a robust dungeon crawler (or at least, that's what he seems to be aiming at; the game is still at an early development stage).

Is it bad if I'm more hyped about this than about 90% of the games scheduled for this year?

Gunsmith
29th Post

Orochinagi WebHamster

"Re(2):Visiting Japan" , posted Wed 30 Mar 03:24post reply

quote:

BTW, the page with photos of stuff you've bought in Japan looks .. bugged? No pictures, and a series of numbers gets displayed instead.

A gallery plugin had become out of date. Fixed. Thanks!

Hmmmm it's tricky to keep the guide up to date, what with things being torn down every so often, and my trip got cancelled so.... meh.

Still a few arcades to add! Just need work to pile up again so I can distract myself with it lol

----------------------------------
How does it feel?
orochinagi.com