Off to Japan - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1948 Views )

Dr Orochi
537th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Red Carpet Member

"Off to Japan" , posted Sun 5 Jul 04:57post reply

Hey guys.

I know I don't post here as often as I did back in the day... but I figured this would be a great place to get some feedback.

I'm heading out to Japan in August. Ticket in hand. I'm just having a hard time deciding on where to stay.
I was thinking of couchsurfing (www.couchsurfing.org) or staying in a monthly guest house. I'm also a WWOOF member (www.wwoofjapan.com), but haven't had any luck finding a host as of yet.
I'm really torn on what's going to be my best option.

This will be my first time there and I want to enjoy it as much as possible. I'll be going solo as well. Any recommendations, etc? I'll be arriving at Narita airport.

I'm also on the lookout for cheap places to eat, etc. Since I'm going to be sacrificing comfort for experience.

Super excited.

Replies:

Professor
2552th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Off to Japan" , posted Mon 6 Jul 00:40:post reply

-If you're thinking of traveling around Japan, get yourself a JR rail pass.

-I remember of a backpacker who ate nothing but convenience store bread and yoshinoya beef bowl because they're cheap, filling, omnipresent, and available 24-7. And brought a load of kool-aid packs and teabags from home to save up on drinks. Tap water is safe in all cities, just not tasty.

-If your main stay is in Tokyo like most tourists, Sakura House is a well-known guest house. You should be able to find a hoard of others on the net. Finding a place with a JR Yamanote or Sobu/Chuo line closeby is good.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 6 Jul 01:48]

Ikari Loona
254th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Off to Japan" , posted Mon 6 Jul 18:33post reply

quote:
-If you're thinking of traveling around Japan, get yourself a JR rail pass.

-I remember of a backpacker who ate nothing but convenience store bread and yoshinoya beef bowl because they're cheap, filling, omnipresent, and available 24-7. And brought a load of kool-aid packs and teabags from home to save up on drinks. Tap water is safe in all cities, just not tasty.

-If your main stay is in Tokyo like most tourists, Sakura House is a well-known guest house. You should be able to find a hoard of others on the net. Finding a place with a JR Yamanote or Sobu/Chuo line closeby is good.

Nice tips, thanks.

I'll be heading there myself with my GF in the last week of July - the whole 1:1 scale Gundam model thing coinciding with my birthday was too much to resist.

We'll be reaching Osaka and plan to go to Tokyo, but are still trying to figure out a good itinerary to make the most of the trip and decide on which cities to stay in which days - I pretty much only consider mandatory seeing the Gundam model at Odaiba, seeing Akihabara for myself, and maybe taking a photo next to the SNK HQ in Osaka (I wonder if they have a store nearby...). Might visit mount Fuji too.

Nice perks along they way would be finding an arcade with Buriki One and a shop where I could get a poster of the Real Bout cover with Geese + bodyguards in a suit, and the Garou ilustration with the Kyokugenryu characters paying homage to the "Enter the Dragon" cover - but as far as I know those things don't even exist.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Sensenic
1683th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Off to Japan" , posted Mon 6 Jul 22:12:post reply

But, but... there's this thread just a wheel scroll down from here...

quote:

Nice perks along they way would be finding an arcade with Buriki One

Well, as said in the other thread, Hey! Arcade in Akihabara has one(, Buriki one hahaha...)

Gotta love how it has a normal arcade control set turned around. Smart!

貧乳神・・・

"Don't give me that crap about real life. There ain't no such animal."
-Felix Leiter-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Mon 6 Jul 22:13]

Ikari Loona
256th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Off to Japan" , posted Tue 7 Jul 22:48post reply

Aw dang, Portugal isn't listed among the European countries where you can get Japan Rail Pass, and apparently it isn't possible to get one in Japan...

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en005.html

Do I have to contact some Spanish place and hope they send it on time?...

Toxico
4756th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Off to Japan" , posted Wed 8 Jul 05:45post reply

Don't eat anything that the Professor feeds you or tells you to (I remember reading some stories about an special nato or something like that (check the main site and search for the date News From 06/17/03)

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 08/05/09 (99 personajes)

Amakusa
802th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Off to Japan" , posted Wed 8 Jul 15:08post reply

quote:
Don't eat anything that the Professor feeds you or tells you to (I remember reading some stories about an special nato or something like that (check the main site and search for the date News From 06/17/03)

Haha, I remember that. That's probably what killed exodus.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Ikari Loona
258th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Off to Japan" , posted Wed 8 Jul 17:26post reply

quote:

The legendary crossover!

http://www.insertcredit.com/features/moriarty/index.html

Maou
1703th Post

"Re(4):Off to Japan" , posted Wed 8 Jul 23:55post reply

quote:

The legendary crossover!

Ye gods, I remember that article from the heyday of both the Cafe's news section and IC! In fact, it was probably the Professor's articles and not Brandon's posts that first took me to Insert Credit. Miss it. I want more legendary webmaster matchups like this!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Grahf
445th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Off to Japan" , posted Wed 8 Jul 23:59post reply

Decent capsule hotel I stayed at in Osaka.

Very nice hostel I stayed at in Kyoto. (free bike rental!)

If you've got two people and want the more "Japanesy" experience, you should look into a ryokan -- some friends of mine got one pretty cheap in Kyoto.

Also, I saw the giant Gundam -- should I post a picture or do you want to save the surprise?

And speaking of Gundams, I really enjoyed the toy store at Yodobashi Camera in Osaka (by the Osaka/Umeda station).

karasu99
168th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Off to Japan" , posted Thu 9 Jul 00:32post reply

quote:
Ye gods, I remember that article from the heyday of both the Cafe's news section and IC! In fact, it was probably the Professor's articles and not Brandon's posts that first took me to Insert Credit. Miss it. I want more legendary webmaster matchups like this!

It's interesting that, like you, mmcafe is what originally helped me find my way to insertcredit, but that insertcredit, in turn, is what brought me back to mmcafe. I never seem to hang out around there anymore, for some reason.

Also, natto is really good, and really, REALLY hard to find in my neighborhood. At least at a restaurant.

I wish I could make a recommendation on Japan, but sadly we decided to go to Yellowstone National Park instead, when we had the chance. SIGH.

Professor
2554th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Off to Japan" , posted Thu 9 Jul 01:22:post reply

quote:

The legendary crossover!

Wow. it's already been 6 years! Time sure flys. I wonder what those spoiled natto beans look like in Brandon's stomach now.

August attracts a lot of visitors to Japan. It's a hot season and students have their summer break. And in terms of pop-culture, there's the Wonderfest in late July and Comiket in August. And this year of course, there's that huge robot so let's pray that there's no earthquakes.

Things people like to do in Japan:
-Take an onsen/spring bath
-Go to ninja samurai village (Edo wonderland)
-Climb mt.fuji and dehydrate halfway
-Check out Tokyo Disneyland and get freaked out on the big coffee cup ride
-Order sushi and find out it's all raw in Japan
-eat one of the only cooked sushis and find out that it was eel
-end up eating only at Mcdonalds

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 9 Jul 01:44]

Maou
1705th Post

"Re(5):Off to Japan" , posted Thu 9 Jul 14:33post reply

quote:
-end up eating only at Mcdonalds

Hahahahahaha! But: 照り焼きバーガー万歳!!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Ikari Loona
259th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Off to Japan" , posted Thu 9 Jul 18:49post reply

quote:

Also, I saw the giant Gundam -- should I post a picture or do you want to save the surprise?

All I know is my experience near the place is not complete until I reenact and record for posterity that most Gundamish of rites of passage, the Bright Slap:

http://www.wolfhurricane.com/2008/08/28/demotivator-2-bright-slap/

exodus
4182th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):Off to Japan" , posted Wed 22 Jul 02:58post reply

quote:

Wow. it's already been 6 years!

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz that's a long time ago.

there's cheap food everywhere, and lots of really cheap travelers hotels in minami senju, since it used to be a dangerous-ish area (now it's just run-down). It's pretty convenient to akihabara as well.

Oroch
1071th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Off to Japan" , posted Wed 22 Jul 06:33:post reply

quote:
Hey guys.

I know I don't post here as often as I did back in the day... but I figured this would be a great place to get some feedback.

I'm heading out to Japan in August. Ticket in hand. I'm just having a hard time deciding on where to stay.
I was thinking of couchsurfing (www.couchsurfing.org) or staying in a monthly guest house. I'm also a WWOOF member (www.wwoofjapan.com), but haven't had any luck finding a host as of yet.
I'm really torn on what's going to be my best option.

This will be my first time there and I want to enjoy it as much as possible. I'll be going solo as well. Any recommendations, etc? I'll be arriving at Narita airport.

I'm also on the lookout for cheap places to eat, etc. Since I'm going to be sacrificing comfort for experience.

Super excited.

find some nice opium dens hookah bars like luxor in shinjuku

mmm mmm good

[this message was edited by Oroch on Wed 22 Jul 06:34]