Random News thread *fashionable edition* - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (6123 Views )

Maese
582th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Red Carpet Member

"Random News thread *fashionable edition*" , posted Wed 17 Mar 19:35:post reply

Now that the older Random thread has finally complied with the obligatory Castlevania rant quota, and seeing that it has well surpassed the 100+ barrier, I think it should be safe enough to start a new one.

So here we go!

Capcom and Sanrio bring you the opportunity to slaughter dinosaurs in kawaii manner. It surely is a random enough piece of news, isn't it.

EDIT
Stop the press, there's another bizarre one: Hironobu Sakaguchi shaves his moustache. Now all we need is Shigeru Miyamoto to crop his mane and the end of the world will be confirmed.

[this message was edited by Maese on Wed 17 Mar 20:56]

Replies:

Ishmael
3721th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Random News thread *fashionable edition" , posted Thu 18 Mar 01:45post reply

quote:

Capcom and Sanrio bring you the opportunity to slaughter dinosaurs in kawaii manner. It surely is a random enough piece of news, isn't it.

At least that helps explain this. Then again, maybe it doesn't. Whatever is going on all I know is that the Capcom cats look noticeably more coked up than their Sanrio counterparts.

Gojira
2589th Post

"Re(1):Random News thread *fashionable edition" , posted Thu 18 Mar 10:57post reply

quote:

EDIT
Stop the press, there's another bizarre one: Hironobu Sakaguchi shaves his moustache. Now all we need is Shigeru Miyamoto to crop his mane and the end of the world will be confirmed.

Sakaguchi called to say: "You have been trolled"

shipoopi

Grave
1312th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"TAIL CONCERTO RETURNS?!" , posted Thu 18 Mar 11:15post reply

CyberConnect2 Announces Solarobo

Sounds like it takes place in Tail Concerto's world. The countdown is still going on the official website last I checked but I look forward to screenshots and more info soon! Very excited!

sfried
499th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):TAIL CONCERTO RETURNS?!" , posted Thu 18 Mar 12:23post reply

quote:
CyberConnect2 Announces Solarobo

Sounds like it takes place in Tail Concerto's world. The countdown is still going on the official website last I checked but I look forward to screenshots and more info soon! Very excited!

Scans from Famitsu.

Gojira
2590th Post

"Re(2):TAIL CONCERTO RETURNS?!" , posted Thu 18 Mar 13:24post reply

The art isn't anywhere near cute enough to be associated with Tail Concerto, but I'll still play it.

shipoopi

Grave
1313th Post

"Re(3):TAIL CONCERTO RETURNS?!" , posted Thu 18 Mar 13:43post reply

quote:
The art isn't anywhere near cute enough to be associated with Tail Concerto, but I'll still play it.

What?! I think it looks good! I will buy the hell out of this!

Gojira
2591th Post

"Re(4):TAIL CONCERTO RETURNS?!" , posted Thu 18 Mar 16:46post reply

quote:

What?! I think it looks good! I will buy the hell out of this!

I never said it looked bad, but to me it leans more towards cool than cute. Maybe not a bad thing for other people.

shipoopi

sfried
500th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):TAIL CONCERTO RETURNS?!" , posted Thu 18 Mar 16:59post reply

quote:
I never said it looked bad, but to me it leans more towards cool than cute. Maybe not a bad thing for other people.

Maybe it has more to do with concerns about the image generated by those too enthusiastic about "furries"?

Grave
1314th Post

"Re(6):TAIL CONCERTO RETURNS?!" , posted Fri 19 Mar 04:24post reply

quote:
Maybe it has more to do with concerns about the image generated by those too enthusiastic about "furries"?

When I played the first TC I don't think I was aware of the true extent of how horrifying such people could be. I don't know if I could view it as innocently today if playing it for the first time, knowing that we live in a world where there are people who jerk off to Disney's Robin Hood... and Starfox. Spooky.

Toxico
4893th Post

"----" , posted Fri 19 Mar 09:35post reply

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 21 as of 29/01/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 15 as of 21/01/10

Burning Ranger
1646th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):----" , posted Fri 19 Mar 10:53:post reply

quote:

Isn't this the dude from Evangelion? Oh wait, wrong Shinji...

I read somewhere that Mikami wants to a 3D horror game: http://kotaku.com/5495335/resident-evil-creator-wants-to-make-3d-horror-game

So much to do so little time...

[this message was edited by Burning Ranger on Fri 19 Mar 11:00]

KTallguy
1190th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):TAIL CONCERTO RETURNS?!" , posted Fri 19 Mar 15:31post reply

I was watching some youtube videos of the original Tail Concerto and it looks pretty cool, but what makes it so amazing that I know several people going gaga over the chance of a sequel? Like what's its main "thing" that makes it special?

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Ishmael
3724th Post

"Re(1):----" , posted Fri 19 Mar 23:51post reply

quote:

So it throbs? I'm almost hoping that instead of a game this is a countdown to the unveiling of the concept album that Mikami has always wanted to make or something equally out of left field.

In other news, over at Gamasutra Brandon urges us to think of the poor, poor children.

Burning Ranger
1646th Post

"Re(1):Random News thread *fashionable edition" , posted Sat 20 Mar 08:41post reply

quote:
Now that the older Random thread has finally complied with the obligatory Castlevania rant quota, and seeing that it has well surpassed the 100+ barrier, I think it should be safe enough to start a new one.

Blazblue: COntinuum Shift gets a US release this Summer. Guess I better start playing Calamity Trigger again.

http://kotaku.com/5497723/blazblue-continuum-shift-keeps-2d-fighting-alive-this-summer

So much to do so little time...

Maou
1958th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):----" , posted Sat 20 Mar 10:28:post reply

quote:
In other news, over at Gamasutra Brandon urges us to think of the poor, poor children.
Damn him for abandoning us, but Brandon is correct here, seems to me. I'm trying to remember when hyperviolence in console games became the norm. I mean, there were always upsets like Mortal Kombat and all that ever since the early days, but the modern 3D American-style action game with 'cool' ways to slice up your opponents is really something I only noticed around PS2/Xbox or so, I think. Not that it's all Americans, either. Ninja Gaiden comes to mind.

But yeah, like every other part of culture anywhere, our favorite (?) medium is rapidly devolving to the lowest common denominator, which given the state of humanity, is pretty impressively low. When I was a kid, I used to get upset about people who would try to censor video games and all that, but given how widespread blatantly violent action games have become, I'm starting to get to I can see their point a little more.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 20 Mar 10:28]

hikarutilmitt
535th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Random News thread *fashionable edition" , posted Sat 20 Mar 12:27post reply

quote:
Blazblue: COntinuum Shift gets a US release this Summer. Guess I better start playing Calamity Trigger again.

http://kotaku.com/5497723/blazblue-continuum-shift-keeps-2d-fighting-alive-this-summer

We all should be. I've taken enough time away from it and SFIV both lately by playing RPGs and other random crap. My Litchi arcade stick is lonely and it's all my fault.

Ishmael
3726th Post

"Re(3):----" , posted Sun 21 Mar 02:08post reply

quote:
Damn him for abandoning us, but Brandon is correct here, seems to me. I'm trying to remember when hyperviolence in console games became the norm.

In the past console games have been limited by their technology to show violence but arcade games have, since their inception, been pretty wild. Remember that the first boss in Forgotten/Lost Worlds was a dragon with exposed organs who tried to kill you with his floating ribs? Or Samurai Shodown where it was possible to hack a girl until blood geysered out of her body? Going further back, what about Missle Command, a game based entirely around nuclear genocide? Did you ever see the movie Jaws? In the film there's a throwaway shot where someone is playing an early videogame in which the entire object seems to be that the player shoots sharks into bloody chum. This sort of chaos has been an aspect of many games for as long as the medium has existed.

As far as I'm concerned that's okay. Any sort of creative endeavor has to be willing to risk failure in order to present the experience it is trying to convey. Sometimes it will result in a huge mess but that can be used as grist to learn from. So while I agree with Brandon that the contest is tacky I find his "what will the neighbors say?" response to be misguided. Trying to create anything while fretting about the feelings of people who will never be satisfied will only be stifling. The thought that something as good as the Darkstalkers games could be second-guessed out of existence due to worry that it could offend would, in my mind, be a huge loss to games as a whole. Not acting due to fear of outside punishment is the response of a child. If the industry wants to mature it not only has to act in a responsible manner but it has to have the courage to not let outside forces dictate what it can say.

Maou
1961th Post

"Re(4):----" , posted Sun 21 Mar 05:26:post reply

quote:
If the industry wants to mature it not only has to act in a responsible manner but it has to have the courage to not let outside forces dictate what it can say.

These are really good points. I guess my own thinking on excessive game violence is less on "children might see it" and more on its worth for anybody.

It would be nice if something artistic were emerging out of the slew of hyperviolent modern depictions, aided as you note by the improved technology. Problem is, this new ability to express violence isn't really being used for anything of much artistic worth. Art is in the eye of the beholder, some might say, but I don't buy it in some cases, and the spectacle of a game like Dead Space designed by "dudes" "high-fiving" each other as they come up with "cool" new ways to show mass slaughter definitely isn't something I'd be anywhere near interested in defending for "art's sake." A lot of this may have to do with the fact that games tilt towards "stupid" and immature (yet graphic) as Brandon and crew noted in their bits on "gaming's missing Kane" and other articles.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 21 Mar 05:27]

Olivier Hague
143th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):----" , posted Sun 21 Mar 07:49post reply

How appropriate a topic, during "God of War week"!

'Reminds me of this article:
quote:
Asmussen remembers one scene in particular, a violent moment inspired by the Gaspar Noé film Irréversible, infamous for its brutal rape scene and gruesome beating death of a man by fire extinguisher.

"I wanted something that intense, and a lot of work went into getting this particular scene right," Asmussen recalls. "Finally, the team got it working and somebody pulled me out of a meeting, very excited, to look at it. It was brutal and I was like, 'That is so fucking awesome.'" The God of War III lead wouldn't spoil the scene under discussion, but from what we've played, the level of violence is clearly beyond what previous games in the series aimed for.

"It was one of the things that we thought there was no way, the ESRB wouldn't let us do that, but they were fine with it," Asmussen said of the game's violence, which is "conceptually a lot grosser" than previous installments.

"I don't think we're being gratuitous," he argued. "We didn't end up shipping anything that I felt uncomfortable with."

(emphasis mine)

... Does that guy even know what "gratuitous" means?
"Mature" games, indeed.

By the way, am I the only one who likes Greek mythology but can't think of a way to put up with their kayfabe version of it?
(^ spoilers for God of War III, I guess?)

Tai-Pan
439th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):----" , posted Sun 21 Mar 09:59post reply

quote:

By the way, am I the only one who likes Greek mythology but can't think of a way to put up with their kayfabe version of it?

Nononono...they overdid it... I can tolerate any level of violence; but not that type of repeated violence to a person's face. I could barely stand that scene with the bottle in Pan's Labyrinth.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Maese
582th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):----" , posted Sun 21 Mar 21:18post reply

quote:

This is just awful. GoW has always been quite tasteless, but this is going too far. I could even waive the ludicrous violence, but that kayfabe allusion hits the nail right on the head: I feel embarrased just watching at it.

Maou
1962th Post

"Re(6):----" , posted Mon 22 Mar 03:16post reply

quote:
100% agreed. Mythology is way too cool for the high-five ("awesome!") frat boy-level intellect of the designers.

The face punching is especially upsetting because A) you are triggered to do it with button presses and B) because it's actually pretty feasible in the real world and looks too much like a typical assault/rape/etc.---it's not just flying swords and fantasy combat.

I'm not sure if there is any age that should see this, but I'm pretty sure it's at least AO.

Ishmael
3728th Post

"Re(5):----" , posted Mon 22 Mar 05:03post reply

quote:
These are really good points. I guess my own thinking on excessive game violence is less on "children might see it" and more on its worth for anybody.

It would be nice if something artistic were emerging out of the slew of hyperviolent modern depictions, aided as you note by the improved technology. Problem is, this new ability to express violence isn't really being used for anything of much artistic worth. Art is in the eye of the beholder, some might say, but I don't buy it in some cases, and the spectacle of a game like Dead Space designed by "dudes" "high-fiving" each other as they come up with "cool" new ways to show mass slaughter definitely isn't something I'd be anywhere near interested in defending for "art's sake." A lot of this may have to do with the fact that games tilt towards "stupid" and immature (yet graphic) as Brandon and crew noted in their bits on "gaming's missing Kane" and other articles.

Very true. While there is a place for low art -it could be argued that there's a necessity for it- the excesses it deals in shouldn't be the only lesson people take away from it. The GoW3 quote that Oliver Hague brings up is a perfect example. Cribbing a scene of horrifying brutality and turning it into a freaking mini-game shows that the creator is not thinking about what is going into the game, or not even really thinking at all. It's funny, with its Steve Reeves view of mythology and all its other borrowed elements GoW really isn't any more advanced than games from twenty years ago that would plagiarize images of anime characters or Hulk Hogan to fill out their casts.

A side note: While I understand the sentiment behind the "Citizen Kane of games" line I'm also a bit uncomfortable with it, since the analogy between games and movies is a shaky one at best. Considering how much a player has to bring to a game I also wonder if such a singular game can ever be created.

sfried
501th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):----" , posted Mon 22 Mar 14:19post reply

quote:
A side note: While I understand the sentiment behind the "Citizen Kane of games" line I'm also a bit uncomfortable with it, since the analogy between games and movies is a shaky one at best. Considering how much a player has to bring to a game I also wonder if such a singular game can ever be created.

I'm with this one. I've always seen games as more of a sport or a recreational activity than someting that you would have to work out hard to enjoy its purpose.

As for the violence, this is one of the few things that mostly separates the likes of MMCafe (I persume) with the average mainstream goer who uses the blanket of "maturity" to mask themselves as being more socially acceptable. The fact that a mainstream gamer would be adverse to "kiddy looking graphics" boggles the mind.

ONSLAUGHT
3885th Post

"Mmmhh..." , posted Mon 22 Mar 14:38:post reply

I... I can't believe we're talking about how violence is corrupting videogames as if they were part of the fine arts!
Games and violence have been hand to hand since the beginning, wether is punching, kicking, shooting or exploding things, t's always been all about violence, sport and puzzle games might be the exception, but let's face it for most of us it was the action/adventure games that attracted to us this hobby.

And no, there is no "tasteful" way to represent violence. Violence will be violence, no matter what. The only difference between Mario and Ryu Hayabusa is the stylization of their vile acts, because after all, Mario is crushing turtles, setting little creatures on fire or eating them alive with the help of Yoshi! If that's not gruesome, I don't know what is...

Graphic violence has been there all the time, perhaps it seems more prevalent and "shocking" today due to the graphic capabilities of consoles and pc's, but it's always been the same, it's always been "gratuitous", because there's no excuse to portray violence as a way to have fun, yet we've been playing games for what, 25 or 30 years?
I'm not trying to change your opinions or your views, I'm just voicing mine.
And I guess what someone said is true "FPS and mainstream gaming discussions do not belong here... There are plenty of other places to talk about such games, but not the Cafe. It does not fit the clientele.

A bunch of elitist pricks? Delusional geeks who refuse to submit to the tide of time? Maybe we are both. The thing is that people here have quite different tastes, both in a good and in a not so good sense
"

It's been a fun ride, but I think I'll set my sights on much greener pastures, much less sophisticated than this place.

Thank you all.

[this message was edited by ONSLAUGHT on Mon 22 Mar 14:45]

Maou
1965th Post

"ode to onsy" , posted Mon 22 Mar 14:54:post reply

quote:
I... I can't believe we're talking about how violence is corrupting videogames as if they were part of the fine arts!
Games and violence have been hand to hand since the beginning, wether is punching, kicking, shooting or exploding things, t's always been all about violence, sport and puzzle games might be the exception, but let's face it for most of us it was the action/adventure games that attracted to us this hobby.
Sweet Onsy, don't leave us. That quote was probably a joke, and there's always room for FPS's here---I even care about Mass Effect now, thanks to that thread. Besides, you and Ishmael are both right about violence being sort of an inherent part of a good number of games form the onset. Violence is probably a bad thing, but I still think the nature of its representation matters---Mario just isn't horrifying like punching someone's head off is. Yeah, the Looney Tunes might have had a "bad influence" in making cartoonish violence funny, but it's probably still more harmful to show your kid Saw 5 or something. The degree matters.

It's the difference between the old 1940's Hollywood norm of people getting shot off-screen and without blood and the carnage we see today. Both are "bad" to watch, but it does make a difference how it's portayed, I think.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 22 Mar 14:56]

sfried
503th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Mmmhh..." , posted Mon 22 Mar 14:59:post reply

quote:
Hey, I never said I was opposed to any kind of representation of violence. I merely stating that there are those who see realistic violence as the only means of portraying seriousness in content, which I could argue that there are many, more abstract forms that rely more on suggestion and come out just as powerful in there implications if not more so. (Maturity is not found in the amount of blood.) And I've never said that games were a fine arts. In fact, I was going to argue the opposite (that they are more sportslike). But that would open up a whole new can of worms now, would it?

[this message was edited by sfried on Mon 22 Mar 15:02]

Hagen de Merak
1056th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Mmmhh..." , posted Mon 22 Mar 15:20post reply

I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's funny that you guys are saying how unnecessary the violence in GoW3 is, or how it's portrayed. Has anyone played the first one, or the second one? It clearly explains Krato's violent ways and brutality. In essence, the violence is relevant to his character, and the story. It's not like the designers just threw it out there randomly like other games do. It's called God of War for a reason. And fine arts, really? I definitely consider games art, but calling it fine arts is stretching it. I also find it ironic since most people here (not all I know) watch "anime" (let's face it, it's just anima-tion) that is way more violent than god of war. But no one complains about that, right?

But really, where does censorship stop? All I'm saying is, don't knock a great game just because it's not your thing. If the game was just utter shit then I would understand.

*end of my shitty post.

Olivier Hague
144th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Mmmhh..." , posted Mon 22 Mar 15:50post reply

quote:
I also find it ironic since most people here (not all I know) watch "anime" (let's face it, it's just anima-tion) that is way more violent than god of war.

Really? Could you name a few titles?

Hagen de Merak
1057th Post

"Re(3):Mmmhh..." , posted Mon 22 Mar 16:32post reply

quote:
I also find it ironic since most people here (not all I know) watch "anime" (let's face it, it's just anima-tion) that is way more violent than god of war.
Really? Could you name a few titles?

A lot of the samurai related animes (kenshin ova's, ninja scroll, and lets not forget samurai pizza cats!) I can't remember the names of the others I've seen, but they were up there.
Also Berserk (the manga's waaay crazier), and twilight of the darkmaster, just to name a few. hokuto no ken is violent as hell, but that's more comedic violence to me, i cant help but laugh. And I'm sure there's way more but I'm not the biggest anime fan in the world either.I'm sure other people here can name way more than me. Hell, since you're a fan I'm sure you could name more than me. Maybe these aren't worse than god of war(it's debatable), but they have just as much violence. And don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I've seen all of them and have enjoyed them, just as I have enjoyed God of War.

Iggy
9084th Post

"Re(4):Mmmhh..." , posted Mon 22 Mar 17:16post reply

I think the stupid violence in GoW is as annoying as MK. First person view of an agonizing man and HD graphics don't make it any more realistic or any less stupid than Sub Zero's spine fatality, and don't start with the "but you"re not OBLIGED to do the fatality in MK!" because the game clearly expects you to.
Maybe I'm a bit disappointed with Dead Space 2, because I think the first game was rather good and the contest doesn't really fit the atmosphere I saw in the first one... Oh well, it's their game, they are allowed to do whatever they want to do with it, even make it bad on purpose to appeal to a different croud.

GoW is silly, stupid, immature and is as effective in its representation of Greek mythology as Saint Seya. If I recall correctly, it was that way since the first one.

Hagen de Merak
1058th Post

"Re(5):Mmmhh..." , posted Mon 22 Mar 18:51post reply

quote:

GoW is silly, stupid, immature and is as effective in its representation of Greek mythology as Saint Seya. If I recall correctly, it was that way since the first one.

Wait, we are talking about Greek mythology right? I suppose my understanding of Greek mythology is completely different, because for me it's represented perfectly by god of war. Maybe I don't understand English as well as I thought. I've read and have studied a lot of Greek mythology and it's all about power and achieving it through brute force, filled with violence, incest, and all sorts of carnage. It all of course leads to destruction and war. Compare that to eastern mythology (india, china) which concentrates more on spiritualism and pacifism.

And who decides what's stupid, or mature or silly? It's all opinion based. Again, it's all perception, different people like different games, doesn't make them any "less" of a game than any other. Funny that you mention Saint Seiya, one of my favorite series of all time. See what I mean? Yet I thought Spirited Away was utter shit while everyone else loved it. But I don't go around saying it's shit, because it's just not my type of entertainment. I do however have to agree with you on Mortal Kombat. Not because of the violence, but because the game itself sucks, the gameplay is terrible. I wouldn't knock that game if the gameplay was decent. I still wouldn't care for it because its just not my style, but at least there would be something to justify its popularity if the gameplay was any good.

Count Hihihi
229th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):Mmmhh..." , posted Mon 22 Mar 20:24post reply

Guys guys guys.. can't you see that God of War III is tearing us apart. Don't let it happen! Please!

LOL

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

Iggy
9085th Post

"Re(6):Mmmhh..." , posted Mon 22 Mar 20:54post reply

Sorry, I should have added "but that's what the game is about (being silly etc) so either we deal with it or just not play it and play something else". I don't dislike the game GoW (nor do I like it that much), but there I was talking of.... well, "the rest". The package. The orientation. The core concept of the character.
Oh, and I like Saint Seya, Spirited Away, and I played Mortal Kombat 2 at the time like everyone else and even enjoyed it.

quote:
And who decides what's stupid, or mature or silly? It's all opinion based.

Indeed. I was trying to see if I could objectively defend Bayonetta while criticizing GoW, but I found out I couldn't. Both are violent to the point of ridiculousness, Bayo makes me laugh and I think it was the intention of the designers, GoW makes me laugh (in a sad, sad way) and I don't think it was supposed to.
But if someone says Bayo grosses him out (the torture attacks, not the proportions of the character) then it's difficult to say "you're wrong". It's a matter of feeling, perception, opinion as you say.

quote:
Again, it's all perception, different people like different games, doesn't make them any "less" of a game than any other.

I should have been clearer. I do not buy the "finer art" thing, and GoW is as much of a game as Modern Warfare or Pokémon Heartgold. Videogame as a medium can become anything depending on what the people who create them create and what the people who buy them buy. And all the shitty B movies ever made didn't prevent niche movies about underage Romanian girls aborting to be created 50 years later.

What I try to say is: this whole debate is utterly ridiculous, because it won't change a thing, and both sides are trying to find approval from people I despise (horny violence hungry teenagers on one side, art critic/parental figure on the other).

quote:
I've read and have studied a lot of Greek mythology and it's all about power and achieving it through brute force, filled with violence, incest, and all sorts of carnage. It all of course leads to destruction and war. Compare that to eastern mythology (india, china) which concentrates more on spiritualism and pacifism.

That's something entirely different.
First, eastern mythologies can be as violent as western ones (rape, incest, exhibitionism are at the core of Shinto's most important myths, Hindu ones talk about dismemberment on a daily basis, women in Buddhism are even less human than they appear in Christianity, etc).
Then, there's the misconception about most polytheisms on how all the myths would be presented as true.
But the thing is, truth doesn't matter in all religions as much as it does in the Jewish one and its 2 offsprings.

Most people in ancient Greece didn't think the myth actually physically happened. And whether they did or didn't wasn't important.
First, and it's even more important in Rome, religion was above all a social act. That cannot be stressed enough in our societies where religion is mostly seen as a private belief.
The actions (sacrifices to gods, festivals...) were what mattered and made you part of a community, not the fact whether you believed Aphrodite sleeps with Ares or Hephaistos. Myths are tales that try to explain the words. They are metaphors. The union of love and war, or of the beauty of love and the ugliness of labour is a metaphor, and an important tale that helped people make sense out of the stupidly meaningless process we call life.
The exigence of truth doesn't exists: you just used the myths that helped you explain the particular situation you face, and if it didn't work, you created a new one. Why does the earth shake? Why does night come? Why is it hot, then cold? Why is there war? Why do I desire this woman? Why does my son hates me? Why do people die? Will I die to? What does it mean? What does it all mean?

In most polytheisms, gods aren't truths. They are tentative explanations. That's why you cannot make any sense out of the Egyptian and Roman religions if you study them from the strict "storytelling" point of view. You have to understand what it actually meant to the society that used them on an everyday basis to structure itself.

On the other hand, the Jewish tradition is totally different. First, because most of it tells the history of a scattered people. As such, it has to be factual. Father, son, son of the son, living here, moving there, chased there.It's because the Jewish people were scattered that they needed an element that would tie them all together. That element would be the past. History. Truth.
Myths aggregated with this story forever told and retold (the Flood, for example, which is one of the most glaring borrowed myth), and by that process became as true as David or Solomon's reigns.

And it was because their religion pretended to be true (= and all the others to be false) that Christianity and the old religions couldn't coexist. Rome could swallow all the others, Greek or Egyptian, and make them its own without changing anything. It couldn't with Christianity.

OK, I digressed. Sorry about the tl;dr stuff.
What I meant was: complaining about anything that wouldn't do justice to the Greek religion is meaningless as long as you approach religion from a Jewish/Christian/Muslim point of view. In that point of view, you just have a story, and you adapt it one way or the other, like Hollywood gladiator movies have been doing for dozen of years. Sometimes you have a neat idea, sometimes you don't.

I think the only game that managed to adapt polytheism (or rather, animism) in a way that actually made sense was Ôkami. That was, in my mind, that game's most glaring success.

------------------

Conclusion: Heavy Rain is an odious pile of shit and David Cage is an embarrassment and should be banned from ever talking in public about anything.

Loona
306th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Mmmhh..." , posted Mon 22 Mar 21:17post reply

quote:
I think the stupid violence in GoW is as annoying as MK. First person view of an agonizing man and HD graphics don't make it any more realistic or any less stupid than Sub Zero's spine fatality, and don't start with the "but you"re not OBLIGED to do the fatality in MK!" because the game clearly expects you to.

Well, MK isat least ambiguous about it, if you never heard about Fatalities or saw the commands for them somewhere, the "Finish Him!" message won't teach you to perform them. In GoW, however, from my extremely brief experience, you can't get rid of a mook unless you explicitely use a screen-guided command to rip its head off or something (while the other ones on screen suddently stop attacking you to maybe enjoy the spectacle of you disembowling their teammate).

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Maou
1966th Post

"Re(7):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 23 Mar 03:27:post reply

quote:
an important tale that helped people make sense out of the stupidly meaningless process we call life. Why does the earth shake? Why does night come? Why is it hot, then cold? Why is there war? Why do I desire this woman? Why does my son hates me? Why do people die? Will I die to? What does it mean?

"Life...dreams...hope. Where'd they come from? And where are they headed? These things...I will destroy!"

...I actually liked Iggy's religious reflection. I think it does explain why the aesthetic on Greek myth-themed stuff in Hollywood and games always seems so off.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 23 Mar 03:27]

Hagen de Merak
1059th Post

"Re(7):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 23 Mar 04:22post reply

quote:
Sorry, I should have added "but that's what the game is about (being silly etc) so either we deal with it or just not play it and play something else". I don't dislike the game GoW (nor do I like it that much), but there I was talking of.... well, "the rest". The package. The orientation. The core concept of the character.
Oh, and I like Saint Seya, Spirited Away, and I played Mortal Kombat 2 at the time like everyone else and even enjoyed it.

Ah ok, gotcha.

quote:
Indeed. I was trying to see if I could objectively defend Bayonetta while criticizing GoW, but I found out I couldn't. Both are violent to the point of ridiculousness, Bayo makes me laugh and I think it was the intention of the designers, GoW makes me laugh (in a sad, sad way) and I don't think it was supposed to.
But if someone says Bayo grosses him out (the torture attacks, not the proportions of the character) then it's difficult to say "you're wrong". It's a matter of feeling, perception, opinion as you say.

Yeah I see what you mean. Like I mentioned before, Hokuto no Ken's violence is so ridiculous that it makes me laugh, but I thoroughly enjoy it.

quote:
I should have been clearer. I do not buy the "finer art" thing, and GoW is as much of a game as Modern Warfare or Pokémon Heartgold. Videogame as a medium can become anything depending on what the people who create them create and what the people who buy them buy. And all the shitty B movies ever made didn't prevent niche movies about underage Romanian girls aborting to be created 50 years later.

What I try to say is: this whole debate is utterly ridiculous, because it won't change a thing, and both sides are trying to find approval from people I despise (horny violence hungry teenagers on one side, art critic/parental figure on the other).

Oh don't get me wrong, I completely understand. All I was trying to say is that, underneath all that coating I think there is a great game. Not everyone is going to agree. In the end It's just a game like any other, either you like it or you don't. Simple as that.

quote:
That's something entirely different.
First, eastern mythologies can be as violent as western ones (rape, incest, exhibitionism are at the core of Shinto's most important myths, Hindu ones talk about dismemberment on a daily basis, women in Buddhism are even less human than they appear in Christianity, etc).

Yeah, you're right eastern mythologies can be as violent, but I meant more in general terms, if that makes sense.

quote:
OK, I digressed. Sorry about the tl;dr stuff.
What I meant was: complaining about anything that wouldn't do justice to the Greek religion is meaningless as long as you approach religion from a Jewish/Christian/Muslim point of view. In that point of view, you just have a story, and you adapt it one way or the other, like Hollywood gladiator movies have been doing for dozen of years. Sometimes you have a neat idea, sometimes you don't.

I think the only game that managed to adapt polytheism (or rather, animism) in a way that actually made sense was Ôkami. That was, in my mind, that game's most glaring success.

I guess I perceived it more as a myth than religion. In other words, using the myth's as inspiration to tell a tale. Representing it the way you say would be entirely different. But anyways, I see you did your homework, probably years ago lol.

Ishmael
3729th Post

"Re(7):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 23 Mar 10:25post reply

Iggy's channeling of James Frazer made for a good read. This quote was particularly nice.

quote:

This sums up a nagging problem I have with a lot of mythological based stories that are told through the lens of modern Western culture. First, the creators aren't approaching the material with the same mind-set as the original mythmakers did. Second, too much of the fan criticism is based around complaints about continuity errors in the new work when compared to the original stories, as if that was the point of the myths.

This quote from Iggy was also good:

quote:
What I try to say is: this whole debate is utterly ridiculous

Truer words have never been spoken.

While on that subject, Onsy's shock and dismay at this thread reminds me that this is not the first time that our discussion of Kratos has brought out strong emotions.

Pollyanna
2887th Post

"Re(8):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 23 Mar 12:05post reply

quote:

While on that subject, Onsy's shock and dismay at this thread reminds me that this is not the first time that our discussion of Kratos has brought out strong emotions.

Th-they called me a CUNT!

Also, good job everyone for trying to bring Onsy back by proving that we're not actually sophisticated at all, but just like any other group of idiots arguing on the internet.

Still, this is a lose-lose situation. In one scenario, we lose Onsy, in another, he becomes one of those internet people who keeps saying they're going to leave and never come back only to post as much as ever. The only difference is, we actually want him around.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1966th Post

"Re(9):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 23 Mar 12:10post reply

quote:

Th-they called me a CUNT!
Haw, so THAT'S where our hilarious epithet as the 'homosexual gaming forum' came from! Not that random internet gutter trash are worthy of our concern (how did they even find the Cafe??), but I appreciate them for this phrase.

Grave
1316th Post

"Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 23 Mar 13:16post reply

quote:
Haw, so THAT'S where our hilarious epithet as the 'homosexual gaming forum' came from! Not that random internet gutter trash are worthy of our concern (how did they even find the Cafe??), but I appreciate them for this phrase.

You say that as if we're not a gay gaming site. Hmm. That's very interesting.

Maou
1967th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 23 Mar 13:26post reply

quote:
You say that as if we're not a gay gaming site. Hmm. That's very interesting.

True, my 友愛 and brotherly love for everyone is almost unlimited.

Toxico
4895th Post

"Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 23 Mar 13:59post reply

quote:

(how did they even find the Cafe??)

Well, this is obviously a rhetorical question, so I'll ruin everything by answering it: The thing is that, once every show, or magazine scan or something pops up here and there about a game, people here usually grab it and do a little review on it while translating it; and they tend to do it quickly... So other sites that may or might not have people that translate prefer to grab a piece of text from here, and quote it on their place with the usual "I**y @ mmcafe said", so with only that this place goes around. A lot.

What I do find perplexing about this little issue is how people that have absolutely no intent of posting here, can complain so much about topic addressed in these forums in such a raging manner. It's not like we care what they said, and the opposite should also be true.

Now, more on topic :

The whole "morfit" of HnK was showing how people that where just totally corrupted, perverse and just plain stupidly cruel and beyond redemption where going to end up having their guts squished like road kills. We can see many issues like these in the series, initially Kenshiro is "soft" and forgives some his enemies when they plea for their lives... and this only end ups in huge disasters and tragedies to the weak and the innocent. A side effect from this "whack the wicked" politic is that most of the profound characters don't suffer such horrible deaths, but mostly die anyway since they are antagonizing in certain level of evil way.

In the end Hara did a very careful job on "not" showing us villains that didn't really see it coming and that it was more or less absolutely necessary with no other way around it.

GoW more or less doesn't use violence as a "side effect" of a certain exposure of anything; Kratos "revenge" is more or less focused in anything that it moves, and doesn't really affect only the guys that are supposed to get it... Instead of showing the "brutality" as a means of achieving something, we are just exposed to violence as an end, which is quite primitive and lame from a direction point of view... It's like if the GoW staff expect me to sit down on a large couch while having one of those stupids beer can hats with some straws to my mouth and grunting "wow, coo000l" at every bloody moment present in the game. I do not appreciate that feeling.

...All in all I don't pretend to bash GoW as a game (aka gameplay), but it's quite clear that if you didn't fell madly in love with the first game, you are better not caring with any other of the games, as they are just the same hat, but with more feathers.

In the very end, we could always argue that using violence as part of something is always bad. But if whoever is making something for me to watch / interact with choose to add some little brain smashing here and there, having certain levels of coherence and subtlety here and there can allow me to enjoy something that might prove to be senseless if is done half heartedly.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Olivier Hague
145th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 23 Mar 16:43post reply

quote:
GoW more or less doesn't use violence as a "side effect" of a certain exposure of anything; Kratos "revenge" is more or less focused in anything that it moves, and doesn't really affect only the guys that are supposed to get it... Instead of showing the "brutality" as a means of achieving something, we are just exposed to violence as an end, which is quite primitive and lame from a direction point of view... It's like if the GoW staff expect me to sit down on a large couch while having one of those stupids beer can hats with some straws to my mouth and grunting "wow, coo000l" at every bloody moment present in the game. I do not appreciate that feeling.

Pretty much.
Also, what are Kratos' motivations, again? I mean, sure, RRRRREVENGE! but for what? He killed his own family, right? OK, he was working for a god when he did... but that was Ares, so that was pretty much taken care of in the first game. So he's being horribly brutal and sadistic because...?
And I dunno, I guess I'm just not fond of the characters talking like wrestlers. See my link above. And yeah, of course, Hercules' labours only wish they were as fucking awesome as the God of War games.

Iggy
9087th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 23 Mar 18:02:post reply

quote:
It's like if the GoW staff expect me to sit down on a large couch while having one of those stupids beer can hats with some straws to my mouth and grunting "wow, coo000l" at every bloody moment present in the game.

Well... Yeah, and?
There are more people like these in the US than homosexual forum goers that know how to read.
quote:
So he's being horribly brutal and sadistic because...?

Yeah, OK, Krato's settei don't make any sense, and the ending of GoW3 even less. But then, what would you expect.
On the other hand, I really think there's something in the core concept (a pure force of chaos destroying every living thing it encounters just because it can). Usually, that would be the final boss of a poorly-written JRPG, there, you play it. The change of perspective is somehow interesting. And the good thing with toying with that idea is that you don't even have to buy or play the game to toy with it.
quote:
And yeah, of course, Hercules' labours only wish they were as fucking awesome as the God of War games.

OK, now you're being ridiculous. You're blaming an American game for being culturally insensitive and written by a bunch of ignorant morons. It's like being angry at David Cage for being an arrogant retard.

----------------------------------

And since this random thread has spiralled into GoW3 noise, let's get the news of the Nintendo 3DS here:
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20100323_356362.html
The console will have a 3D function without the use of 3D glasses (Virtual Boy what?) and backward compatibility to DS/DSi.
I suppose the 3D function will involve tilting the screens, like that game that used the camera as a movement detector?

I really wonder if Nintendo will be able to convince people to shift to a new console. Or maybe their goal is just to release a new upgrade of the DS every year, and even if people only buy one every 3 years, they're still winning?

[this message was edited by Iggy on Tue 23 Mar 18:12]

Olivier Hague
147th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 23 Mar 19:56:post reply

quote:
On the other hand, I really think there's something in the core concept (a pure force of chaos destroying every living thing it encounters just because it can). Usually, that would be the final boss of a poorly-written JRPG, there, you play it. The change of perspective is somehow interesting.

But that's the thing: they don't really go there. And the ending... Ah, well.

quote:
I suppose the 3D function will involve tilting the screens, like that game that used the camera as a movement detector?

Meh, that would be cheating (and has already been achieved on the current DS hardware, right?).
I'm dreaming of a "lenticular" screen that would show two different images depending on the angle (-> one image per eye). After all, you do have to look at the DS screens at a certain angle, right? Probably won't happen, but heh.

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Tue 23 Mar 19:58]

Iggy
9088th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 23 Mar 20:37:post reply

quote:
But that's the thing: they don't really go there. And the ending... Ah, well.
Well, of course they don't, they're american. They're giant pussies.

EDIT: Suddenly, it struck me: the ending is actually pretty good: it's a metaphor of the American invasion of Irak!!
"We destroyed your country, razed everything, killed countless innocent people for our own personal vendetta and lust for treasures/oil, but here! We give you hope, so we're even now!"

It. All. Makes. Sense.

quote:
I'm dreaming of a "lenticular" screen that would show two different images depending on the angle (-> one image per eye). After all, you do have to look at the DS screens at a certain angle, right? Probably won't happen, but heh.

Wouldn't it get tiring after a time?
But then, if they do that, could Arkedo ask royalties for it? That would be awesome.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Tue 23 Mar 21:26]

Tai-Pan
440th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 24 Mar 01:31post reply

quote:

It. All. Makes. Sense.

Of course it does; that's the only "mythos" the good people of America can actually digest...

What took you so long?

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

karasu99
317th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 24 Mar 01:57post reply

God of War is a series I love to be irritated by-- I played the first game, and found it to be generally well assembled, even if I didn't care for the aesthetic in the slightest. I always tend to like this sort of 3d-running around-slashing stuff-breaking scenery-gigantic boss type games, and I found it to be pretty fun and well done, at least until the last... third, I guess (in typical fashion, the first 2/3 of the game is tremendously designed, but it was as if they ran out of steam or creativity toward the end). The problem was (and this may seem minor to others here) I hated the fact that you could not only slaughter bystanders in order to obtain life, but that in many cases you could hardly avoid slaughtering bystanders. I understand that the game (in its ham-fisted way) is telling you that you have a choice-- go without the life, or slaughter townspeople to obtain it, but the whole thing seemed surprisingly shitty to me, and regardless of whether I'm being stupid about it or not, it made the game much less fun for me.

I've been doing some pretty serious thinking about what I think of the whole issue of ultraviolence in games like this. For me it is almost like the hyper realism allowed in the current generation has started to get to me violence-wise. Not that I'm suggesting that there should be censorship in any way-- it's just that like with how realism in games has lately come at the expense of innovative (and even fun) gameplay, I am a little afraid that super realistic violence will come at the expense of gameplay as well. But in terms of violence in general? I agree with Toxico in his case for HnK as ultraviolence with some thought behind it. Or maybe I just hate GoW because it's American and newer, and love HnK because it's Japanese and older. Who can say for sure?

Oh, as an aside:
quote:
What I do find perplexing about this little issue is how people that have absolutely no intent of posting here, can complain so much about topic addressed in these forums in such a raging manner. It's not like we care what they said, and the opposite should also be true.

It seems to be just another example of the popular internet pastime of tearing something apart as brutally (or stupidly) as possible given the anonymity of said internet. Perhaps it is just the catharsis of being mean towards something since they get picked on in their outside life or hate their parents. Also, I'm reminded of the rapier-witted fellows I went to grade school with-- I'm not sure why, but maybe it is the constant use of 'gay', 'homo', and 'faggot' as descriptors.

Pollyanna
2889th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 24 Mar 04:36post reply

I refuse to take part in the violence debate, but GoW3 disappointed me for a different reason. I was actually looking forward to it a bit. I thought "I've gotten used to Kratos' ugly mug...I've played some great American games lately...I'm ready this time!"

But it just felt...sloppy. The animations are original enough and cleverly thought out, but they're way too choppy and unnatural looking to come across as cool. The textures are all over the place in terms of quality, with tons of surfaces inexplicably shiny. The camera is often oddly placed, leaving me wondering what I should be focusing on. The clunky animation makes the combat seem sluggish, and it's just not that hot after Bayonetta.

I like most of the ideas that went into the game, but they don't come together very well to me. From the videos I've seen, the odd lighting issues seem to have been ironed out somewhat on the final release vs the demo, but the other things that bug me (I won't say "problems", since no one else seems to mind) remain.

Does anyone else see this, or am I just being a cunt again?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
3731th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 24 Mar 04:45post reply

Moving away from Sony's blockbuster GoW3 to it's arthouse work:
quote:
OK, now you're being ridiculous. You're blaming an American game for being culturally insensitive and written by a bunch of ignorant morons. It's like being angry at David Cage for being an arrogant retard.

This is the second time you've mentioned David Cage. Did Heavy Rain leave that bad of a taste in your mouth or did you feel that Cage was giving off a general douchebag vibe in his press work for the game?

nobinobita
703th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(7):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 24 Mar 04:53post reply

quote:

awesome, well articulated, nuanced, educated post

------------------

Conclusion: Heavy Rain is an odious pile of shit and David Cage is an embarrassment and should be banned from ever talking in public about anything.

This thread has made my day. I don't really have much to add to the current conversation, but here's something I posted for kicks on Kotaku a while back on the subject of God of War as a metaphor for the experiences of a teenage girl. It seemed to touch a few hearts:

"It would be nice if they explored the inner workings of the character to unearth the wounded child within Kratos. Kratos is a very rich and complex character.

Hopefully the author of the novel will understand the real message behind the narrative of God of War, that behind all of Kratos' gruffness, his rage, his angst, his fear and bravado, behind it all is the sensitve, scared heart of a child.

Before the game begins, Kratos is like a cocky teen. He thinks he is immortal and above all others. He belives he is free. But the moment his life is actually threatened (by the Barbarian king, who represents the unknown and foreign "barbarian" lands outside of a child's limited experiences) he calls out to Ares for help. In doing so he pledges his life to Ares. This positions Ares as his father figure. Ares saves Kratos' life, he supports him, but he also owns him, and Kratos resents this. Like an ungrateful teenager lashing out at his parents, Kratos lashes out at the gods. Even when he makes the mistake of killing his own wife and child, he does not take responsiblity for it, instead he blames it on his parents. Surely THEY were the ones that MADE him do it. Surely they created the monster he had become.

The rest of the game involves Kratos' desperate struggle to somehow find relief from his situation. He has become twisted and depressed. He writes about "the voices in his head" in a journal. He engages in loose, meaningless sex. He is armed with razor blades CHAINED to his WRISTS. Who is he cutting? His foes? Or himself? Classic teenage behavior.

In his despair, Kratos starts trying to devise ways to escape the clutches of the gods, or his parents. This is when the game really becomes challenging and becomes a metaphor for growing up. His struggle to defeat his father figure is the struggle every child goes through when it comes time to leave the shadow of your parents and find your own path. And so Kratos rages and rages and he fights tooth and nail.

But he's not fighting blindly. He is learning. He's gaining experience points, learning new and useful skills. He is growing up.

By the end of the game, as he's heading toward the final confrontation, he is not the same lost child he was at the beginning, nor the blissfully ignorant baby he was before the game even began. He is becoming his own person. Only then can he challenge his father and break free. Break free of the chains. Break free of the blades that cut into him.

Kratos has an epic shodown with Ares, that takes him within his own soul. This is where the game outright tells you that the real focus is Kratos' internal struggle. He must first rise above his own insecurities and anguish (with the help of his family's love, perhaps a mother's love?) only then can he challenge the father. The game ends with an epic clash, where Kratos has grown both symbolicaly and literally. He is colossal size. He towers above the landscape, an equal to the Titan that has ruled his life. It's a hell of a fight, but he gives it his all, and he wins.

He defeats his father. He gains his freedom.

But at what price?

His father is defeated, he's won his freedom, but the struggle isn't over. When he had an enemy, a father to oppose, he had focus. He had a purpose in life. With that gone he's suddenly got alot of time to think. To reflect. To ponder.

And that's when the sorrow seeps back in. He won his freedom, and yet he's not free of his regrets. Those old fears start creeping back. They tear him assunder, cutting as deep as ever.

In his despair Kratos decides to end it all. To end his own life. Although he has been a fighter, he does not choose the death of a warrior. He does not die in the throes of combat by a worthy foe's blade. Instead, he throws himself off a cliff. Like a maiden. Like the child he once was.

And here's where the final message is delivered. In tossing himself off the cliff like a maiden, he's not killing himself. He's killing the child he once was. He is finally saying goodbye to childish things. Before splattering on the rocks, he is saved and he is given his rightful place as a replacement of his father.

He has grown up. Become a man.

He has BECOME his father!

bluecat2095"

nobinobita
704th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 24 Mar 05:01post reply

quote:

This is the second time you've mentioned David Cage. Did Heavy Rain leave that bad of a taste in your mouth or did you feel that Cage was giving off a general douchebag vibe in his press work for the game?

Heavy Rain combines the very worst parts of games (poor interface, clumsy unintuitive forced controls) with the very worst parts of movies (treacly acting, manipulative insincere writing). It is the worst example of either medium I've ever experienced. Early on in the game, I made a joke about what I thought would be the dumbest, clumsiest, most artificial and disingenuous way the game could end. "Hey wouldn't it be funny and offensive if this happened?" By the end of the game, I found that my joke came true.

It was the worst game I've ever played.

Thankfully 2010 has tons of other great offerings across to board to wipe it from my memory.

Spoon
1917th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 24 Mar 06:13post reply

quote:

Thankfully 2010 has tons of other great offerings across to board to wipe it from my memory.

I really want to play Deadly Premonition, because it looks like Twin Peaks turned into a game as directed by... I don't know, Mel Brooks?

Juan
4522th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 24 Mar 06:29post reply

quote:
I really want to play Deadly Premonition, because it looks like Twin Peaks turned into a game as directed by... I don't know, Mel Brooks?

To add to the bizarre theme of the game, it plays and looks like a dreamcast game. It probably wasn't intentional, which makes it even better.
If you do intend to play it, I recommend looking up how to get the police radio early in the game. Makes moving around much easier.

Also, you are all silly.

Toxico
4897th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 24 Mar 08:36post reply

Sony makes good jokes ......Is this old?

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Badoor
114th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 24 Mar 11:51post reply

quote:

Heavy Rain combines the very worst parts of games (poor interface, clumsy unintuitive forced controls) with the very worst parts of movies (treacly acting, manipulative insincere writing). It is the worst example of either medium I've ever experienced. Early on in the game, I made a joke about what I thought would be the dumbest, clumsiest, most artificial and disingenuous way the game could end. "Hey wouldn't it be funny and offensive if this happened?" By the end of the game, I found that my joke came true.

It was the worst game I've ever played.

I'm going on the defensive side and say that Heavy Rain might be bad but at least it isn't bullshitting about what it promised, and it promised a lot.

Yes, the controls are bad and so is the acting and writing. But the fact that you could use these bad controls to influence the terribly acted and plot-hole fested story that is almost uniquely yours is what's great. This increases the frustrations with the stupid controls even more since they could possibly not allow you access to see naked boobs or could potentially lead one of the characters to turn into a hamburger for the rest of the game if your not careful, creating a very heightened sense of tension unlike anything else. Heavy Rain isn't the best game ever or such, but at least it has something different and new to offer.

In the end, David Cage is a pretentious retarded prick, but many of my favorite games are helmed by pretentious retarded pricks. And Yu Suzuki.

Spoon
1918th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Thu 25 Mar 00:48post reply

If David Lynch were to produce a game, what would it be like?

(and don't say Deadly Premonition)

Ishmael
3732th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Thu 25 Mar 02:55post reply

Here I was worried that a game like Heavy Rain would be such an experiment that it would not elicit a response from its players. I doubt that was the reaction the game creators were hoping for but, hey, at least it generated some sort of emotion.

quote:
Sony makes good jokes ......Is this old?

We have made very few cheap jokes at the expense of that controller on this board, which is a bit of a shame. One should never discriminate against a joke just because it is obvious. But out of all the flailing controls that are currently out Sony's seems the least interesting. For the Wii the motion control is the entire point. Although the Natal probably isn't going anywhere it does feature a horrifying "game" that stars a creepy simulation of a child who lives in your television and spends all day watching you. In answer to Spoon's question, if Lynch was going to make a game it would star Milo.

Tai-Pan
441th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Thu 25 Mar 03:43post reply

quote:

Probably something like this

nobinobita
707th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Thu 25 Mar 07:02:post reply

quote:

Maye it'd be like this.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 25 Mar 07:05]

KTallguy
1193th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Thu 25 Mar 12:02post reply

I enjoyed Heavy Rain a lot actually.

It had some control clunkiness, some of the voice acting was off, the story has a few weird holes, and it started off slow. But as an experience it really left a larger impression than games like God of War leave. As I made choices in the game for the Father figure, I made them as I *think* I would have in that situation. The fact that there were times where I really didn't know what the "right" choice would be, which was refreshing.

New DS sounds ok, but I hope the tech isn't too boring/half assed.

God of War 3... my girlfriend loves that series for the gore, but she also likes Bayonetta for the different style gore and the character. I think that in the end, the game is about hitting things and the various cause and effect that stems from that. I feel like games about hitting things that try to present deeper things to the player usually fail, either because:

1. Anything deeper than "kill this dude" will sail over most people's heads.

2. Inserting numerous expository scenes usually pisses off the majority of people who just want to "kill this dude".

When people play these games a lot of them turn their brain completely off and simply get off on the visceral reaction. Bayonetta and God of War feed off of this more than anything.

Developers who want to engage the user on any deeper level need to integrate that message directly into the minute to minute gameplay and try not to annoy people in the process. Heavy Rain does this (if you can call it "gameplay"), and Umeda games do this (Ico, etc). But most games don't aspire to be something bigger than the sum of its parts (and should they try)?

whitesword
1670th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Thu 25 Mar 18:12post reply

quote:

1. Anything deeper than "kill this dude" will sail over most people's heads.

2. Inserting numerous expository scenes usually pisses off the majority of people who just want to "kill this dude".

To be fair, that dude had it coming.

Iggy
9092th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Thu 25 Mar 20:26post reply

quote:
But most games don't aspire to be something bigger than the sum of its parts (and should they try)?

To jump at GoW and Bayonetta's defense, the amount of work necessary, from a level design point of view, to achieve that totally smooth and "leave your brain at the door" feeling is incredible. Very few game designers are able to pull out such a level of work in order for their work to look totally invisible. If that makes sense.

Spoon
1919th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Fri 26 Mar 02:54post reply

quote:

To jump at GoW and Bayonetta's defense, the amount of work necessary, from a level design point of view, to achieve that totally smooth and "leave your brain at the door" feeling is incredible. Very few game designers are able to pull out such a level of work in order for their work to look totally invisible. If that makes sense.

One of the painful things about certain tasks like engineering of supporting systems and testing is that they are things that take tremendous work to be invisible. When they aren't working right, they are gigantic, ugly pustules. When they are working right, your product is merely working "as it should be".

Considering the amount of stuff you and the enemies and the environment can do in combat in GoW and Bayonnaise and how it can be effortless for the player... that takes a lot, lot, lot of work. Good, fun, effortless gameplay only comes with tremendous effort in games with the depth and complexity of modern 3D action titles.

Tai-Pan
445th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Fri 26 Mar 03:38post reply

quote:

One of the painful things about certain tasks like engineering of supporting systems and testing is that they are things that take tremendous work to be invisible.

Would you mind elaborating more on those supporting systems? I'm really interested. One example should be more than enough.

KTallguy
1196th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Fri 26 Mar 11:07:post reply

quote:

Would you mind elaborating more on those supporting systems? I'm really interested. One example should be more than enough.

A simple example is how often enemies attack you, whether they tend to attack one at a time or all at once, and finding that exact balance between not too hard and not too easy so that the player can flow from one enemy to another without feeling overwhelmed. And the attack speed and movement must be balanced to that enemy placement/attack frequency so that the flow feels right.

In Bayonetta and even Ninja Gaiden, the enemies don't all attack at once on the standard difficulty settings. There are a few who attack, a few who stand back and wait, etc. Making that feel right while making the AI "appear" to be smart, that's the challenge. If you do it right, no one will notice anything except how fun it is to kick everything's ass.

At least, I think that's the kind of thing Spoon and Iggy are talking about :)

And yes, leave your brain at the door gameplay is amazing, but we certainly have a glut of it :) I can't really complain, I love any kind of hand to hand/weapon combat game.

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Fri 26 Mar 11:08]

Toxico
4920th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 30 Mar 23:27post reply

Flashing out things that interest me, I which girls would do the same more too.

cool

"M式"格闘術 北斗神拳 無敵 だ!!

didn't knew this existed

I lied about everything here interesting me Such a step down from the afro... or the pony tails

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Iggy
9102th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 31 Mar 00:00post reply

quote:
"M式"格闘術 北斗神拳 無敵 だ!!

Am not like.

Ishmael
3740th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 31 Mar 03:20post reply

quote:
"M式"格闘術 北斗神拳 無敵 だ!!
Am not like.

Why do games -and Koei games in particular- sometimes inspire this sort of response? If people don't like a game they should go find something else that amuses them instead of endlessly dwelling on what isn't working for them. For example, I'm not a big fan of basketball but I don't feel the need to write up pissy diatribes every time March Madness rolls around. Maybe it just that I'm amazed that the Musou games have been going for twelve years and yet the people who aren't fans still have not been able to move on.

Moving on to something else random: a giant robot movie.

karasu99
318th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 31 Mar 03:59post reply

quote:

Hum, so this interested you on some level too, eh? Funny that they chose the Transformers-movie-esque, 'put together out of thousands of tiny discrete pieces' robot design. Is it that the flat, shiny kind of aesthetic would have looked too plasticy? But at least Gaiking looks like Gaiking, basically.

sfried
511th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Re(10):Mmmetroid" , posted Wed 31 Mar 07:45:post reply

Team Ninja's 2.5D-troid is looking good so far. Hopefully they will keep it non-linear like Super.

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 31 Mar 08:15]

KTallguy
1198th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Mmmetroid" , posted Wed 31 Mar 09:32post reply

quote:
Team Ninja's 2.5D-troid is looking good so far. Hopefully they will keep it non-linear like Super.

Very nice trailer.

whitesword
1671th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 31 Mar 11:27post reply

quote:

Needs more Daikuu Maryuu

Ishmael
3741th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Mmmetroid" , posted Thu 1 Apr 01:42post reply

quote:

Has there been much discussion about what is in the game at all? I admit I haven't been following the news about this title all that closely but the June release date really snuck up on me.

quote:
Hum, so this interested you on some level too, eh? Funny that they chose the Transformers-movie-esque, 'put together out of thousands of tiny discrete pieces' robot design. Is it that the flat, shiny kind of aesthetic would have looked too plasticy? But at least Gaiking looks like Gaiking, basically.
I wonder if they went with movie Transformers look because it was easier to get a movie about a giant robot green lit if somehow referenced an already successful giant robot movie? Or would the less cluttered, limited animation friendly original design have looked too much like something out of a super sentai show? Either way, this will give them the chance to sell both classic and movie Gaiking merchandise so I suppose it works out either way.

Iggy
9104th Post

"Basara 3" , posted Thu 1 Apr 04:36post reply

Oichi is back!
http://www.imagebam.com/image/d1476b74285745

Two "new" NPC character (smells like DLC/Heroes version already). Mitsuhide is back as Tenkai, for a reason.

Speaking of which, the optimistic estimate would run around 40 characters (NPC+PC) and the pessimistic would run around 19 PC characters. And they are non-exclusive.

Amakusa
842th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Basara 3" , posted Thu 1 Apr 06:20:post reply

quote:
Oichi is back!
http://www.imagebam.com/image/d1476b74285745

Two "new" NPC character (smells like DLC/Heroes version already). Mitsuhide is back as Tenkai, for a reason.

Speaking of which, the optimistic estimate would run around 40 characters (NPC+PC) and the pessimistic would run around 19 PC characters. And they are non-exclusive.

Not surprised that Oichi's back since nobody really said she wasn't. Same for Mitsuhide, although if I didn't already know about the Mitsuhide-Tenkai theory (which was also used in Sengoku Musou 3) that would've sounded strange.

What's the use of having so many former PCs as NPCs, really?

Ed: still waiting for the Matsunaga announcement.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

[this message was edited by Amakusa on Thu 1 Apr 06:27]

sfried
511th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Xenoblade reveals itself" , posted Thu 1 Apr 08:32post reply

quote:
Has there been much discussion about what is in the game at all? I admit I haven't been following the news about this title all that closely but the June release date really snuck up on me.
Many people share the same skepticism that they had when Prime was first announced (meaning, "it's different therefore it will suck, etc."), but when they saw the gameplay footage, they immediately shut their mouths.

Honestly, it looks to be going in the right direction so far. Now if only we could see how non-linear it is.

Meanwhile, Xenoblade's first trailer.

Olivier Hague
150th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Basara 3" , posted Thu 1 Apr 14:33post reply

quote:
Oichi is back!

And she's so sad Nagamasa sama is dead she doesn't even need her naginata anymore.

Iggy
9105th Post

"Re(2):Basara 3" , posted Thu 1 Apr 19:20post reply

quote:
still waiting for the Matsunaga announcement.
I try to pretend Matsunaga didn't exist, because I don't want to be disappointed AGAIN.

Something else I missed: apparently, there will be a "flashback scenario" that would explore the events that took place before Sekigahara. Like a proper canon for this game's scenario.
I still don't see how they're going to fit Mori or some others in it, but, oh well, more power to them.
Can't wait to see how much playing Kenshin or "Tenkai" will cost.
quote:
Oichi is back!
And she's so sad Nagamasa sama is dead she doesn't even need her naginata anymore.

I wonder how her whole wedding with Shibata went, or her 4 children with Nagamasa sama are.
Probably poorly.

Loona
308th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Sat 3 Apr 11:25post reply

quote:

I lied about everything here interesting me Such a step down from the afro... or the pony tails

They're clearly based on the FF11 player character designs - this seems to imply a wee bit more customization, which is a step forward, but was pretty much necessary the way the MMO market seems to have developed since FF11 was released.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Ishmael
3747th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 6 Apr 22:41post reply

I'm going to have to read the entire interview to see what the context of this quote is: Mikami states that he might have had too much freedom when making games such as God Hand.

Toxico
4930th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 7 Apr 00:29post reply

う-ぬぬ~~~

I always found it odd how the original ps2 version of the 02'um got itself downgraded by the arcade version.... So, in order to relieve that, SNK seems to be re-doing a tougeki version for the ps2, where they include the extra stages and re (un)balance changes that they did for the arcade...... I remember that arcade stages weren't 3D with effects nor stuff, but I haven't really seen the game now, haven't I... Notice

Oh, and they are also doing the PSP release for their Arcade classics vol 1, and 94~98 pack.... I hope they fix the bugs, for both versions.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Iggy
9107th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 7 Apr 01:30post reply

Speaking of fashionable...

quote:
So, in order to relieve that, SNK seems to be re-doing a tougeki version for the ps2, where they include the extra stages and re (un)balance changes that they did for the arcade......

What was the reactions to the balance changes in the arcade version? Your "(un)balance" sorts of hints for an ugly answer, but, just for the kicks...

Count Hihihi
234th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 7 Apr 01:49post reply

quote:
う-ぬぬ~~~

I always found it odd how the original ps2 version of the 02'um got itself downgraded by the arcade version.... So, in order to relieve that, SNK seems to be re-doing a tougeki version for the ps2, where they include the extra stages and re (un)balance changes that they did for the arcade...... I remember that arcade stages weren't 3D with effects nor stuff, but I haven't really seen the game now, haven't I... Notice

So this is the same game XBL is getting? Now we finally know why they won't release a PSN version.

Toxico
4931th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 7 Apr 03:02post reply

quote:

What was the reactions to the balance changes in the arcade version? Your "(un)balance" sorts of hints for an ugly answer, but, just for the kicks...

Hmmm I think that the reaction for the arcade version wasn't bad at all, at least from the people that liked the console version... About the game play changes it was somewhat a little odd, because they took annoying things from character that weren't top tier but could potentially be really bothersome to deal (like... Kyo-1 or Goro), and watered them down (less damage from dms, less invincibility for invincible moves). On the other hand they left tournament people's choice character essentially the same (Kasumi, Nameless, Namess, K', K', K' and maybe K'). Since 9 of every 10 asians play with K' or Nameless, I suppose we didn't heard any tough complains... But I haven't really been updated about this subject (since, I can't touch the arcade version; hence not caring). All in all, the game feels pretty much the same in either version, gameplay wise. No character lost it's backbone or gained 6 extra hands gameplay wise.

Oh, they also removed some strange in game freeze bugs, to add other game freezing bugs instead, which where much easier to trigger (like... inserting credits).

quote:

So this is the same game XBL is getting? Now we finally know why they won't release a PSN version.

Well, if they kept the ps2 3D stages... and kindly add the undeveloped stage (like the kick ass freeze executed clone lab), then no... But think of it in another scope.... Instead of simply doing a Play station best's with the original '02UM, they are updating the engine slightly for a freebie, keeping the low cost of the re release.

Also, I suppose that they are going to add an Arcade / console engine groove select in the options.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Count Hihihi
235th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 7 Apr 03:39post reply

quote:

Hmmm I think that the reaction for the arcade version wasn't bad at all, at least from the people that liked the console version... About the game play changes it was somewhat a little odd, because they took annoying things from character that weren't top tier but could potentially be really bothersome to deal (like... Kyo-1 or Goro), and watered them down (less damage from dms, less invincibility for invincible moves). On the other hand they left tournament people's choice character essentially the same (Kasumi, Nameless, Namess, K', K', K' and maybe K'). Since 9 of every 10 asians play with K' or Nameless, I suppose we didn't heard any tough complains... But I haven't really been updated about this subject (since, I can't touch the arcade version; hence not caring). All in all, the game feels pretty much the same in either version, gameplay wise. No character lost it's backbone or gained 6 extra hands gameplay wise.

I'm actually really curious about Heidern. Did he undergo any changes for the arcade version? From what I saw, the neckroller seemed slower.

Mozex
405th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 7 Apr 09:50:post reply

quote:
I'm going to have to read the entire interview to see what the context of this quote is: Mikami states that he might have had too much freedom when making games such as God Hand.

He's saying it wasn't commercially successful as they wanted because it was developed to be something that HE wanted, not something that would sell like hotcakes.

We can label this "selling out", but I don't feel the need to throw stones because he admits it.

Be kind to goblins.

[this message was edited by Mozex on Wed 7 Apr 09:52]

sfried
513th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 7 Apr 10:21post reply

Go Wayforward!

Maou
1978th Post

"Shantae <3" , posted Wed 7 Apr 10:53post reply

quote:
Go Wayforward!

Oh! Pretty 2D and bellydancing! Brilliant. This looks like a more fun way to kill the undead than any of the recent Dracula games. Heard nice things about it at Toasty Frog's, too. Bravo!

Toxico
4932th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 7 Apr 11:07post reply

quote:

I'm actually really curious about Heidern. Did he undergo any changes for the arcade version? From what I saw, the neckroller seemed slower.

Things that I read somewhere, but haven't be able to properly compare, record, and study until I'm satisfied. I think Heidern is the only character I can answer a question like that, har har.

He kept his power up storm bringer bug.

Kept his max mode combos.

His counter was made faster and easier to use.

And that's about it.... I think.

OFFTOPIC TIME! Simply Godly .... Who said chinese cinema was hip? I adore Tokimeki overclock, but the video does not score high enough in my weirdometer valve (You didn't thought I had something like that, Ah!?)

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Gojira
2598th Post

"MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Thu 8 Apr 07:07post reply

http://kotaku.com/5511912/marvel-vs-capcom-3-unveiling-soon

Same source as SSF4 roster leak? Hmmm...

shipoopi

Pollyanna
2898th Post

"Re(1):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Thu 8 Apr 07:13post reply

quote:

I'm glad someone else broke this news so I don't have to feel guilty about it.

It's true. It's fairly well along as well. I would imagine that they're done with recording by now, and that means a sizable portion of the game is in place.

Believe me if you like!

Still, I wonder who's developing it...

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
323th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Thu 8 Apr 07:39post reply

quote:

I suppose given the relative success of MvC2 on PSN and XBox Live, it doesn't seem totally unrealistic. Despite all these years it seems like a title people still care about.

It would be nice to think that the TvC team had some involvement since it will almost certainly be in 3D. I have trouble imagining that it would just be an expansion on MvC2-- what, are they going to have 80 characters or something?

So then... that April Fools screenshot of MvC3 might actually have been real? Hum.

Ishmael
3751th Post

"Re(3):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Thu 8 Apr 09:51post reply

I've seen rumblings about this but if Polly says it is so that's good enough for me.

Trouble is, I was never a fan of MvC2 or the vs series in general. At this point my biggest hope for the game is that the music is as good as it was in MvC2. Thinking back on it, that intro music was great.

Evenor
718th Post

"Re(4):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Thu 8 Apr 10:32post reply

quote:

Trouble is, I was never a fan of MvC2 or the vs series in general. At this point my biggest hope for the game is that the music is as good as it was in MvC2. Thinking back on it, that intro music was great.

Yes! I don't understand why some people are so offended by the music in that game. What would they rather have?!

If the rumor is true I am as excited as I would be for any 2D fighting game but deep down I want it to be so alien from its predecessor that it would destroy any chance of a MVC4!

Forgive me its just that I associate MVC2 with horrible people (more specifically horrible people in a local arcade in Miami).

drink from me and live forever

nobinobita
710th Post

"Re(5):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Thu 8 Apr 11:46post reply

quote:
At this point my biggest hope for the game is that the music is as good as it was in MvC2. Thinking back on it, that intro music was great.

The music from that game (and that era) was awesome! Really inspired! I think by that point Capcom understood that these games would be played for years, if not decades to come, so why not give people relaxing lounge music to groove to in the long term?

Also, I daren't dream of MVC3 being 2d. But if it comes out at all, I pray that it's being handled by the TVC team. TVC was beautiful. And not in a cel shaded "it looks like a cartoon!" way. It had its own original look that was just so confident and well realized (like a moving illustration).

Maou
1980th Post

"Re(6):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Thu 8 Apr 12:12:post reply

quote:
I think by that point Capcom understood that these games would be played for years, if not decades to come, so why not give people relaxing lounge music to groove to in the long term?

After the hilariously horrifying round one, they did indeed do some thinking and brought us some sweet sweet grooves for round two for their atonement.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 8 Apr 12:13]

Spoon
1924th Post

"Re(6):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Thu 8 Apr 13:32post reply

quote:
At this point my biggest hope for the game is that the music is as good as it was in MvC2. Thinking back on it, that intro music was great.

My big gripe with MvC2 is that it didn't seem like there were enough songs in it. SF2WW had 12 songs for the stages alone. MvC2 had 11 songs for the stages.... and that's if you counted all of Abyss's songs (which were like 2 or 3). For the sake of comparison, 3S had 16 songs for the stages (ok, one is Gill's); if you don't count Abyss, 15:8 is nearly double!

One of the strange things about 3D fighting games compared to 2D ones for me is that I can barely remember any music from 3D fighting games. I can remember the yodelling song from Tekken. I can remember... some of Sparking! because my friends went nuts about it. I don't think that their music is bad, because if it was, I probably would've remembered. But somehow, I just don't find it memorable. Well, I can still remember a few bits of Justice Gakuen here and there, but that seems to be more of an exception.

nobinobita
711th Post

"Re(7):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Thu 8 Apr 13:48post reply

quote:

One of the strange things about 3D fighting games compared to 2D ones for me is that I can barely remember any music from 3D fighting games. I can remember the yodelling song from Tekken. I can remember... some of Sparking! because my friends went nuts about it. I don't think that their music is bad, because if it was, I probably would've remembered. But somehow, I just don't find it memorable. Well, I can still remember a few bits of Justice Gakuen here and there, but that seems to be more of an exception.

Good lord, you're right! Outside of maybe Tobal no 2 and a few tracks from SFEX no 3d fighting game soundtracks have really stuck with me. I can recognize them when I hear them, but I can't recall them from memory easily. I guess newer games tend to be less iconographic both visually and aurally.

Gojira
2599th Post

"Re(7):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Thu 8 Apr 14:17post reply

quote:
3S had 16 songs for the stages (ok, one is Gill's)

Off-topic, technically it was more like 16 themes and 48 tracks. They had 3 different tracks for each stage depending on the which round it was. Shame they don't do that anymore.

shipoopi

Maou
1981th Post

"Re(8):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Thu 8 Apr 15:30:post reply

quote:
no 3d fighting game soundtracks have really stuck with me. I can recognize them when I hear them, but I can't recall them from memory easily. I guess newer games tend to be less iconographic both visually and aurally.

Oh, I don't know, I think I hum Talim's theme from SC 3 every WEEK, even if I hate SC past 2. And while Taki's theme in SC2 seems like a typically undistinguished 3D fighting game tune, the bridge is among my most hummed fighting game bars ever.

And I most certainly have Jin or Julia's themes from Tekken 3 in my head whenever I need to knock some head.

As Spoon mentioned, though, Taiyou's theme in Justice Gakuen will never, ever be beatable.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 8 Apr 15:34]

Iggy
9108th Post

"Re(2):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Thu 8 Apr 16:48post reply

quote:
Still, I wonder who's developing it...

Let's hope they're shamelessly building upon TvC, and that was the plan from the very beginning... They won't get away with less than 30 characters if they really call it "3" and want to call back the fans. And also, 8ing did a fantastic job on TvC, and I hope more of the same level from these guys.

I always thought the giant spot (PTX) was there to make room for Sentinel or Ons...laught when the Tatsunoko deal would be over. That would be a great planning.

sfried
516th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):*EXTERMINATE!*" , posted Fri 9 Apr 01:31post reply

Finally, a Dr. Who adventure game we can all care about? Being done by the same people who did Broken Sword? Hmmm...

Nekros
260th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Fri 9 Apr 02:46:post reply

quote:

Not surprised at all.
Face the market now, it allows a MVC 3 to be.
- Marvel is big due to movies and lots of characters are well known by more public than in the 90s
- Capcom relaunch both SF and VS series with good results and positive fan attitude
- Fighting games with 2D gameplay are appreciated more than the past 5-6 years

Other operations, like MVC 2 being downloadable or announcing hints over hints openly during interviews etc, point towards MVC 3.
I don't like this franchise to death but I appreciate a 3 if we'll have a game at least fun as TVC, only with more characters.

The character roster by Capcom will probabily be more or less the roster from TVC with some fan-requested adds (Nash, Ibuki, Phoenix Wright, Ammy) and some bad guys (Vega, Wesker).
Marvel side will be easily filled with characters featured in the movies (Iron Man, Fantastic 4, Spiderman, Wolverine, Hulk, Elektra, Daredevil) plus some chars that went popolar through comics in the last 10 years (probabily Deadpool or Sentry, maybe X-23). Absolutely not obscure or freaks-to-appeal-japanese guys as Shuma-Gorath or Marrow.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Fri 9 Apr 02:48]

Spoon
1925th Post

"Re(2):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Fri 9 Apr 04:29post reply

quote:
Absolutely not obscure or freaks-to-appeal-japanese guys as Shuma-Gorath or Marrow.

I'll need to look up the dates, but I heard that Marrow was a relatively recent character when MvC2 was in development, and that she was probably put in MvC2 to help promote her. Now she's one of the obscure characters in the game.

Shuma-Gorath actually had a relevant angle to the Infinity Gems, but I can't remember how the dating of that storyline intersected with the development of the Marvel fighting games. Can't deny that having a tentacle monster fight Psylocke was probably part of Capcom's plan, though.

Mosquiton
1754th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Fri 9 Apr 06:27post reply

quote:

The character roster by Capcom will probabily be more or less the roster from TVC with some fan-requested adds (Nash, Ibuki, Phoenix Wright, Ammy) and some bad guys (Vega, Wesker).
Marvel side will be easily filled with characters featured in the movies (Iron Man, Fantastic 4, Spiderman, Wolverine, Hulk, Elektra, Daredevil) plus some chars that went popolar through comics in the last 10 years (probabily Deadpool or Sentry, maybe X-23). Absolutely not obscure or freaks-to-appeal-japanese guys as Shuma-Gorath or Marrow.

I don't Capcom can get away with the same cast they used for TVC. Roll? Saki? Batsu? Alex? Frank West? Kaijin no Soki? These guys don't exactly have broad appeal. TVC is a very Japanese-centric roster even without the Tatsunoko side.

I know Dante isn't quite as cool anymore, but come on, he'd have to be in there.

Wesker does seem like he's been groomed for this in the last few Resident Evils with all the superhuman strength and teleportation and choke-slams, etc.

I couldn't care less if Marrow doesn't come back but they should keep Spiral around. Having six arms isn't that weird, right?

/ / /

Iggy
9111th Post

"Re(3):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Fri 9 Apr 07:37post reply

quote:
I don't Capcom can get away with the same cast they used for TVC. Roll? Saki? Batsu? Alex? Frank West? Kaijin no Soki? These guys don't exactly have broad appeal. TVC is a very Japanese-centric roster even without the Tatsunoko side.

I'm pretty sure no DMC and no Bio Hazard characters will make the cut. It's not because all the games are published by the same company that all the characters are available. That was already the main issue with TvC.

And I don't think Batsu, Alex, Souki and especially Frank West are Japanese-centric. At least their games got released out of Japan. And there's not even a single character from Basara!

Mosquiton
1755th Post

"Re(4):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Fri 9 Apr 08:01post reply

quote:

I'm pretty sure no DMC and no Bio Hazard characters will make the cut. It's not because all the games are published by the same company that all the characters are available. That was already the main issue with TvC.

And I don't think Batsu, Alex, Souki and especially Frank West are Japanese-centric. At least their games got released out of Japan. And there's not even a single character from Basara!

Well I kind of conflated two thoughts there. I don't mean to say that these particular characters are particularly Japanesey.

Batsu kind of irks me because he's probably the single-most boring character from Rival Schools.

I know there are various weird issues surrounding the usage of different characters, but what makes it so unlikely that DMC or RE characters wouldn't make it in?

/ / /

karasu99
325th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Wait... what?" , posted Fri 9 Apr 08:58post reply

Wasn't April Fools' Day last week?

This sounds like nearly as much of a fever dream as MGS: Peace Walker.

Just a Person
1371th Post

"Re(2):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Sat 10 Apr 00:32post reply

quote:

I don't think Elektra or Daredevil have any chance to appear in a possible MvC3, at least nowadays. They got a small popularity boost with their movies, but due to the bad quality of those, the boost seems to have been short-lived.

I'd expect some of Bendis's Avengers to appear (Luke Cage, Spider-Woman, Sentry), as well as some new X-Men people (White Queen - even though her gameplay would most likely be just a mix of Psylocke and Colossus -, Nightcrawler, MAYBE Shadowcat), maybe the abomination named Red Hulk, and Thor.

It will be nice if one of the Runaways appear in it - and it wouldn't be impossible, since Marvel may want to boost their popularity for their upcoming movie. Plus, they would fit nicely with the Capcom characters (Molly Hayes specially would fit BETTER with the Capcom characters than with the Marvel ones).

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Professor
2587th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Sat 10 Apr 01:22post reply

quote:

So then... that April Fools screenshot of MvC3 might actually have been real? Hum.

By God, are you talking about that old joke with Dante in the screenshot!?

karasu99
326th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Sat 10 Apr 02:39post reply

quote:

By God, are you talking about that old joke with Dante in the screenshot!?

Oops! By going back to the April 1 thread from last week to link to the image, I realized it was of Capcom vs SNK 3, not Marvel vs Capcom 3-- I got the "3's" mixed up.

I think I remember the one you're talking about though.

nobinobita
712th Post

"Re(3):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Sat 10 Apr 04:12post reply

quote:

It will be nice if one of the Runaways appear in it - and it wouldn't be impossible, since Marvel may want to boost their popularity for their upcoming movie.

Is that the comic where someone's mutant ability is that they have a pet Velociraptor?

Gojira
2600th Post

"Re(5):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Sat 10 Apr 04:17post reply

Going by history, even if the game has no storyline, the roster would include characters from a storyline that Marvel recently wrapped up in the last year or so so it can be popularized to the mainstream. Marrow was indeed a product of this, as was "bone claws" Wolverine. It's been Marvel's MO for years and it's definitely not going to stop now.

For MvC3 I think they should go with Invasion. Hell, they could even make it ABOUT Invasion. It's the perfect storyline for a fighting game because it's so easy to explain why character X is fighting character Y no matter what their relationship.

And just to balance things out, I'm not hoping it's like TvC. I doubt the Marvel of today would agree to a game like TvC without revisions. I realize building on it is the only way to get the minimum number of characters people will expect, but unlike the lot of you I think TvC needs more polish. Especially in the animation department.

shipoopi

nobinobita
713th Post

"Re(6):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Sat 10 Apr 05:17post reply

quote:
I realize building on it is the only way to get the minimum number of characters people will expect, but unlike the lot of you I think TvC needs more polish. Especially in the animation department.

What did you find lacking about the animations?

I thought TvC was one of the better animated 3d fighters out there, especially in the way the movements correlated to the controls.

Most 3d fighters do alot of automated tweening from action to action (the computer automatically fills in transitions between poses), making the animation and the controls very gooey and a tad slow. Although Tatsunoko is 3d, the animation is executed more traditionally, where the characters snap from pose to pose in ways predetermined by the animators (and less automation from the computer). It's not necessarily as smooth, but it feels much crisper and more responsive and intentional. As far as I know, the only other 3d fighter that does this is Battle Fantasia.

TvC might seem a bit jerky compared to most 3d fighters, but I much prefer the varied tempo of it.

Count Hihihi
238th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Sat 10 Apr 06:04post reply

So, it's going to be TvC with Ultras. WOW.

Gojira
2601th Post

"Re(7):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Sat 10 Apr 09:27post reply

quote:

What did you find lacking about the animations?

I thought TvC was one of the better animated 3d fighters out there, especially in the way the movements correlated to the controls.

Most 3d fighters do alot of automated tweening from action to action (the computer automatically fills in transitions between poses), making the animation and the controls very gooey and a tad slow. Although Tatsunoko is 3d, the animation is executed more traditionally, where the characters snap from pose to pose in ways predetermined by the animators (and less automation from the computer). It's not necessarily as smooth, but it feels much crisper and more responsive and intentional. As far as I know, the only other 3d fighter that does this is Battle Fantasia.

TvC might seem a bit jerky compared to most 3d fighters, but I much prefer the varied tempo of it.

Well you just answered the question for me with that last statement. Except it doesn't just seem a bit jerky to me, it IS a bit jerky. Seeing is believing, as it were. I could say a lot more about this but I don't think anyone is completely blind to it. Some people like it because it's jerky, which is just weird to me.

Also, it's interesting you bring tweening up; what exactly gave you this impression? Because when I look at TvC and BF... I see games that are relying heavily on tweening to animate. I'd always conceded that it was like that because they were using a process to create and add characters as quickly as possible with simple animations, so how they moved would inevitably dip in quality. But if your impression is that they rarely use any tweening at all, I'm not sure why they would do that.

shipoopi

Just a Person
1374th Post

"Re(4):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Sat 10 Apr 10:21post reply

quote:

It will be nice if one of the Runaways appear in it - and it wouldn't be impossible, since Marvel may want to boost their popularity for their upcoming movie.

Is that the comic where someone's mutant ability is that they have a pet Velociraptor?

Yup. It's not a mutant ability, though: each one of them has a different origin for their superpowers, although all of them inherit (directly or not) their powers from their parents: one is the daughter of an alien race, one is the daughter of dark sorcerers, there's even a son of Ultron in it (although he only meets the other Runaways much later in the series).

Molly, the youngest kid, is the only mutant one (and one of the few mutants in the Marvel Earth that kept her powers after the M-Day). Gertrude "Gert" Yorkes, daughter of evil time-travelers, is the one who inherited a dinosaur with whom she shares an artificial psychic link (artificial in the sense she's not a telepath, her parents designed Old Lace, the dinosaur, to have this link, probably using Gert's DNA in Old Lace's creation).

Both Gert and Old Lace are currently dead in the story, sadly.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

sfried
517th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Japan loevs their dungeon crawlan..." , posted Sat 10 Apr 22:23post reply

Even with Hokuto Musou, F.O.E.!

Maou
1982th Post

"Re(2):Japan loevs their dungeon crawlan..." , posted Sun 11 Apr 03:29post reply

quote:

Because roguelikes are the only games worth playing. For me, lately, anyway. People have been rocking Fuurai No Shiren for the better part of 14 years. It's like the back of the box says, "The game you can play 1000 times and never stop having fun!" Or rather, I suspect people keep buying new roguelikes because they want one that's as perfect at Fuurai...they won't find it, but it doesn't keep them from adventuring into the proverbial mysterious dungeon of new games to find them! I hear this is a good one, the one you have linked.

Spoon
1928th Post

"Re(3):Japan loevs their dungeon crawlan..." , posted Sun 11 Apr 05:02post reply

quote:
Because roguelikes are the only games worth playing. For me, lately, anyway. People have been rocking Fuurai No Shiren for the better part of 14 years. It's like the back of the box says, "The game you can play 1000 times and never stop having fun!" Or rather, I suspect people keep buying new roguelikes because they want one that's as perfect at Fuurai...they won't find it, but it doesn't keep them from adventuring into the proverbial mysterious dungeon of new games to find them! I hear this is a good one, the one you have linked.

I don't know if you could really compare Etrian Odyssey to a roguelike, because it really isn't. Etrian Odyssey is a game about grinding and numbers (or sometimes, the numbers the game DOESN'T tell you, which gets infuriating), and not about whether or not you are clever enough to use a Staff of Paralyze on the enemy at the chokepoint to prevent the others from swarming you and killing you by making you starve to death with their attacks.

I just hope that they do something about the rewards for FOE kills in EO3. In EO2, they no longer gave experience, and their item drops weren't usually amazing enough to compensate for that.

sfried
519th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Japan loevs their dungeon crawlan..." , posted Sun 11 Apr 05:36:post reply

quote:
I don't know if you could really compare Etrian Odyssey to a roguelike, because it really isn't. Etrian Odyssey is a game about grinding and numbers
STOP right there. Etrian is definitely not about grinding, and you could care less about the numbers if you know what you're doing (i.e. status effects and buffs play a major role as opposed to most RPGs). The enemies in this game teach this the hard way, so you will be screwed if you didn't assign those tech points once you step into the first labyrinth. Like Shiren, being cleaver and prepared IS the major point of the game (and not just mash attack/save TP for the bosses). It doesn't hold your hand, I admit, but neither is it unfair if you didn't heed its warnings beforehand.

FOEs in EO3/SQ3 are said to give experience like in EO1, but just like in that game, FOEs aren't meant to be killed in your first encounter, and are largly for avoidance.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sun 11 Apr 05:41]

Spoon
1929th Post

"Re(5):Japan loevs their dungeon crawlan..." , posted Sun 11 Apr 07:21post reply

quote:
I don't know if you could really compare Etrian Odyssey to a roguelike, because it really isn't. Etrian Odyssey is a game about grinding and numbers STOP right there. Etrian is definitely not about grinding, and you could care less about the numbers if you know what you're doing (i.e. status effects and buffs play a major role as opposed to most RPGs). The enemies in this game teach this the hard way, so you will be screwed if you didn't assign those tech points once you step into the first labyrinth. Like Shiren, being cleaver and prepared IS the major point of the game (and not just mash attack/save TP for the bosses). It doesn't hold your hand, I admit, but neither is it unfair if you didn't heed its warnings beforehand.

FOEs in EO3/SQ3 are said to give experience like in EO1, but just like in that game, FOEs aren't meant to be killed in your first encounter, and are largly for avoidance.

Being prepared is part of it, but it's pretty hard for me to believe that the game isn't about grinding when it simply isn't possible to do certain things without levelling. It doesn't matter how clever you are; you aren't going to beat the first Stalker or Ragelope you meet with a low level party. Or if you do, it's probably just because of Poison, and you're going to have to run back home anyway because half your party is dead.

The dungeon layouts are static, the only enemies that can be avoided by manual maneuvering have predefined placement and behaviour, and there's no real influence of the environment on combat; when you are fighting, you are in the "combat game", and when you are walking around, you are in the "exploring game". Skills and builds are very important, but those are predicated by levelling.

EO is quite a good dungeon crawler, but I just don't think that it can be categorized as a roguelike. SMT games all about preparation, too, but they certainly aren't roguelikes.

sfried
520th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Japan loevs their dungeon crawlan..." , posted Sun 11 Apr 08:01:post reply

quote:
Being prepared is part of it, but it's pretty hard for me to believe that the game isn't about grinding when it simply isn't possible to do certain things without levelling. It doesn't matter how clever you are; you aren't going to beat the first Stalker or Ragelope you meet with a low level party. Or if you do, it's probably just because of Poison, and you're going to have to run back home anyway because half your party is dead.

The whole idea is to avoid the encounters with the Stalker and Rangelope. F.O.E.s are considered deathtraps in their own right, and it isn't necessary to have to defeat (and in fact, the game HIGHLY RECOMMENDS that you avoid) them since they are intentionally several levels above your range, and the very fact that you CAN run away from them means that the are meant to be dealt with later in case certain quests ask you to backtrack to lower levels.

Another thing to keep in mind is that all F.O.E.s have a scouting pattern, and if you observed carefully, it's usually circular. Pay attention if they spotted you (you can see the F.O.E. turn red on the map screen indicating that they are pursuing).

It is entirely possible to beat the game with some carefull management and common sense tacticts. Wiping out these respawning orange balls is not one of them. Another thing to keep in mind is always have a balanced party and make sure you cover your bases. Having a Protector and Troubadour is very usefull as buff and status effect spells are a necessity in Etrian Odyssey as opposed to most other RPGs.

tl;dr - Stop grinding and use a Protector + Front Guard. And stop chasing F.O.E.s at every new floor. You'll die a lot less.

P.S. The maps aren't entirely static. There are some areas with secret passages in them, and some of them spawn an F.O.E. after opening a treasure chest, etc.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sun 11 Apr 08:16]

kofoguz
837th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Remember "Grow" ?" , posted Sun 11 Apr 09:05post reply

Café was the first place I saw this fun game. So just in case you forgot the Cube, "Grow tower" is here to check.

Toxico
4944th Post

"And the stupid question of the day is....." , posted Sun 11 Apr 15:22post reply

How is this game doing???

I didn't even realized that the latest Gōketsuji was out, and seems to be Noise Factory's take on the fighting Eroge engine system (and that is the secret Identity of Arcsys games, I tell you). All of the new characters minus the Oyama loli look awesome, and the game seems vastly superior to the previous Matrimelee engine games... But then again, Matrimelee wasn't a huge success either (I think?).

Does this game has a decent following? Having White Bufallo's old track back is enough for me to slap children in order to get this game, and running after fleas ought to be fun.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

hikarutilmitt
543th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):And the stupid question of the day is.." , posted Mon 12 Apr 00:47post reply

quote:

I didn't even realized that the latest Gōketsuji was out, and seems to be Noise Factory's take on the fighting Eroge engine system (and that is the secret Identity of Arcsys games, I tell you). All of the new characters minus the Oyama loli look awesome, and the game seems vastly superior to the previous Matrimelee engine games... But then again, Matrimelee wasn't a huge success either (I think?).

Does this game has a decent following? Having White Bufallo's old track back is enough for me to slap children in order to get this game, and running after fleas ought to be fun.

Crikes, I almost totally forgot that existed. Now I want to play it pretty badly. :(

Upon seeing that select screen I was sad to discover that Hikaru was missing from the lineup (along with 3 other characters from Matrimelee) but she's selectable with a code (which someone actually put in during the video). Noise Factory's site for the game even says how to do it, yay!

karasu99
329th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):And the stupid question of the day is.." , posted Tue 13 Apr 05:46post reply

quote:

It was spoken of in whispers a few months ago around these parts, I think.

Yes, I'm quite interested in seeing this one! Although, I feel somewhat uncertain as to when/what platform they would port it to since PS2 2D fighters (even in Japan) seem to have gone into serious and perhaps fatal decline. I don't suppose there has been word on any front in that regard?

The new designs are pretty nice and I think it's good that they have kept up with the strange Gōketsuji aesthetic-- you know, lots of strange curlicues and gilded things. And the end of round 'face-painting' of the loser. Also, the strange super move POV animations are.. I suppose they are okay, although I don't much like Otane's (or is it Oume's).

Toxico
4948th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Fri 16 Apr 05:53post reply

quote:
Speaking of fashionable...

I see what you are doing out there

In other news.

You can never be too worried about Japan Doki doki oyasumi mode? Geez.

Fugly Ken-oh

I forgot this one was on sale.... From the chaps that I saw online, this seems much better than what you would expect it to be. I haven't followed anything done by Takato Rui though.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Last update : Chapter 16 as of 13/04/10

Ishmael
3755th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Fri 16 Apr 06:22post reply

quote:
Fugly Ken-oh
I don't know, I always thought Raoh looked great in that get-up. If I was going to punch the world into submission that's the outfit I would wear. Actually I would wear that outfit even if I was doing something as mundane as buying groceries.

quote:
I forgot this one was on sale.... From the chaps that I saw online, this seems much better than what you would expect it to be. I haven't followed anything done by Takato Rui though.

Ah, that is good news. I quite enjoyed the web version so I will happily pick up a collection of that manga.

Here's an article discussing how actors pretending to play video games do nothing but frantically bang on buttons. Yes, it's a pointless, small thing but whenever I see something like that in a movie it always pulls me out of the scene. After I punch the world into submission actors are going to have to learn how to correctly handle a controller.

karasu99
331th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Fri 16 Apr 07:33post reply

quote:
Yes, it's a pointless, small thing but whenever I see something like that in a movie it always pulls me out of the scene. After I punch the world into submission actors are going to have to learn how to correctly handle a controller.

I also hate the careless substitution of sound effects-- i.e. the kid is clearly playing a game on a DS Lite, but the sound effects are from Pacman.

Also! Series One of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is being released next month in the US. I can't seem to find an actual news story to link to, and Media Blasters' site is a joke, but wiki confirms.

Maou
1983th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Fri 16 Apr 12:42post reply

quote:
After I punch the world into submission
Aniki! Please let me join you on this quest. It will surely be better than the current state of things.
quote:
actors are going to have to learn how to correctly handle a controller.

hmm this seems like as good a first decree as any.

Iggy
9114th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Fri 16 Apr 19:45:post reply

Dear Ishmael,

Once you're done punching whoever into whatever, could you make it so someone, someday, release a Symphony Of The Night OST with ALL the Saturn tracks in it? Because the huge Castlevania box released last month doesn't have any, and it makes me a sad Iggy.

Edit: Illegal download is BAAAAD.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Sat 17 Apr 02:20]

chazumaru
701th Post

"IT'S SHOWTIME" , posted Sat 17 Apr 08:39post reply

IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR SKILL! GO FOR BROKE! NOBODY BLINK! BEAT'EM UP GUYS! FACE IT STRAIGHT! SELECT YOUR FIGHTING STYLE! I'VE NEVER SEEN A BATTLE LIKE THIS! YOU CAN'T GIVE IT UP!

I am sure I am not the only one who wondered who the hell that guy was, but I finally decided to get an answer tonight.

Here it is:
http://www.gregirwin.com/profile-e.pdf

You would never, in a million years, guess the face of the guy behind this correctly. The picture is gold.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Badoor
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Castlevania: Musical term of something" , posted Sat 17 Apr 15:20post reply

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/15/harmony-of-despair-that-sure-sounds-like-a-castlevania-game/

Interestingly, it's using harmony again. Maybe IGA wants to do a sequel to Harmony of Dissonance and right another wrong of the series (Next up, Judgement sequel, 64 remake, and maybe a 2D Lords of Shadows...j/k). I've yet to play Harmony of Dissonance but the general noise about that game isn't good.

hikarutilmitt
544th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Mmmhh..." , posted Sat 17 Apr 23:51post reply

quote:
Here's an article discussing how actors pretending to play video games do nothing but frantically bang on buttons. Yes, it's a pointless, small thing but whenever I see something like that in a movie it always pulls me out of the scene. After I punch the world into submission actors are going to have to learn how to correctly handle a controller.

I think the problems is in the discrepancy between showing an action and delivering emotion and doing things "the right way" like most people expect. I like how the article mentions acting like a butcher and anyone who does butchery will tell you that it's seldom accurate when it is a focus in the scene. If you see someone playing a game in the background, THEN they usually do it "right" because they get a gamer or someone or even just tell a random extra to not bring attention to themselves.

Honestly, if you were to watch a scene and just see some dude sitting there playing a game "for real" it would be boring as hell. Very little movement, usually very little emotion and just no action in general.

Ishmael
3756th Post

"Re(1):IT'S SHOWTIME" , posted Sun 18 Apr 01:36post reply

quote:
IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR SKILL! GO FOR BROKE! NOBODY BLINK! BEAT'EM UP GUYS! FACE IT STRAIGHT! SELECT YOUR FIGHTING STYLE! I'VE NEVER SEEN A BATTLE LIKE THIS! YOU CAN'T GIVE IT UP!

I am sure I am not the only one who wondered who the hell that guy was, but I finally decided to get an answer tonight.

Here it is:

You would never, in a million years, guess the face of the guy behind this correctly. The picture is gold.

WOW
And he's available for weddings!

Mosquiton
1757th Post

"Re(4):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Sun 18 Apr 03:49post reply

Regarding MvC3...

quote:

I'm pretty sure no DMC and no Bio Hazard characters will make the cut.

You may be pretty but you can't be sure.

As for me...

Well, I have a feeling we'll hear a little more about this soon.

/ / /

GekigangerV
1647th Post

"Re(2):IT'S SHOWTIME" , posted Sun 18 Apr 05:39:post reply

quote:

And he's available for weddings!

Congratulations!

Some of his singing as well

Never would have imagined that. Its always weird to see what some voice talent really looks like.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sun 18 Apr 05:40]

Maou
1984th Post

"Re(1):IT'S SHOWTIME" , posted Sun 18 Apr 07:09post reply

quote:
CHAZ'S REVELATION

I CAN'T BELIEVE MY EYES!

...THAT'S GREAT, SUPER, EXCELLENT!!!

I will even forgive you for being MIA! It's always good to know the faces of our idols. I don't think there's ever been a more hilarious announcer.

Ishmael
3758th Post

"Re(5):MvC3 rumor... again" , posted Sun 18 Apr 08:03post reply

quote:
Regarding MvC3...

I'm pretty sure no DMC and no Bio Hazard characters will make the cut.

You may be pretty but you can't be sure.

As for me...

Well, I have a feeling we'll hear a little more about this soon.

If you get hungry for ramen while in Honolulu I would suggest you try Yotteko-Ya. The menu manages to hold its own against the other restaurants in the shopping complex and considering some of its neighbors include the amazingly named dining establisments Phuket Thai and the Fook Yuen Chinese Seafood Restaurant that's really saying something. This is assuming that you've suddenly found yourself in Hawaii for some unknown reason that is in no way related to the Capcom press event that was held there recently. What probably happened was that your flight was diverted there due to the volcano or something like that.

Iron D
3389th Post

"Re(1):IT'S SHOWTIME" , posted Sun 18 Apr 17:00post reply

quote:

Here it is:

Actually he looks almost exactly like I imagined he would. I'm not kidding.

Er.....

Mozex
408th Post

Gold Customer

"Castlevania: hymn of cash" , posted Mon 19 Apr 14:40post reply

Holy crap people are paying a ton for the GBA Castlevania's

http://www.amazon.com/Castlevania-Harmony-Dissonance-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B00006F2ZR

Pre-post edit: Looks like ebay prices are much more reasonable.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=GBA+castlevania&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=BGA+castlevania&_osacat=0&bkBtn=

Be kind to goblins.

Ishmael
3759th Post

"Re(1):Castlevania: hymn of cash" , posted Tue 20 Apr 03:03post reply

quote:
Holy crap people are paying a ton for the GBA Castlevania's

http://www.amazon.com/Castlevania-Harmony-Dissonance-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B00006F2ZR

Pre-post edit: Looks like ebay prices are much more reasonable.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=GBA+castlevania&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=BGA+castlevania&_osacat=0&bkBtn=

One thing that I love about Amazon is that if something is not in stock it instantly balloons in price to $10,000 or something equally insane. If you want cheap games it seems that you have to go to Japan.

In other news it sounds as if the news embargo on Capcom's latest press event will be lifted on Tuesday. That means we can finally get some info on the worst kept secret on the internet.

NARUTO
3716th Post

"MvC 3" , posted Tue 20 Apr 16:23post reply

its been ages since the last time I posted here... Still here maybe the 1st MVC 3 trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/marvel-vs-capcom-3-teaser/343632?playlist=featured

So chris is in...

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Badoor
119th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):MvC 3" , posted Tue 20 Apr 17:27post reply

quote:
its been ages since the last time I posted here... Still here maybe the 1st MVC 3 trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/marvel-vs-capcom-3-teaser/343632?playlist=featured

So chris is in...

Seeing that it's produced by Ryota Niitsuma, who also produced TvC, would probably mean that the game would be using the TvC style of game & graphics. That's great as I loved TvC.

Chris fighting the hulk reminded me of Boulders!!

Toxico
4951th Post

"Didn't...." , posted Tue 20 Apr 18:48post reply

Didn't this thread had random violence talk before?

har har

SSFIV match
SSFIV match

... Kinda "official release quality"... no?

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Last update : Chapter 16 as of 13/04/10

Ishmael
3761th Post

"Re(1):Didn't...." , posted Tue 20 Apr 22:29post reply

quote:
Didn't this thread had random violence talk before?

har har

I know this new Splatterhouse game isn't going to be any good but I want to play it anyway. This is the same feeling I had about the previous Splatterhouse titles.
quote:
SSFIV match
SSFIV match

... Kinda "official release quality"... no?

I haven't looked at the SSF4 damage charts but it seems like T.Hawk is damn strong. This creates a dilemma for me since I like grapplers but can't stand Mr. Hawk.

Speaking of SSF4, here's all the characters voguing for the end credits scroll.

Mosquiton
1763th Post

"Re(2):Didn't...." , posted Sun 25 Apr 14:28post reply

quote:

I haven't looked at the SSF4 damage charts but it seems like T.Hawk is damn strong. This creates a dilemma for me since I like grapplers but can't stand Mr. Hawk.

I felt the same way but after landing a few Mexican Typhoons I got over it real quick.

You see your opponent working hard to get in and do some damage, then you smack them with your huge standing roundhouse and you're back in the lead.

Also lots of fun crossing up with his splash. Zangief has nothing on this guy.

/ / /

Ishmael
3772th Post

"Re(3):Didn't...." , posted Mon 26 Apr 22:56post reply

quote:
I felt the same way but after landing a few Mexican Typhoons I got over it real quick.

You see your opponent working hard to get in and do some damage, then you smack them with your huge standing roundhouse and you're back in the lead.

Also lots of fun crossing up with his splash. Zangief has nothing on this guy.

On some level I have to give credit to Capcom for continuing to try to do something with T.Hawk in spite of him being awkward and unpopular. Since they are going through all that trouble the least I can do is give the character a spin for a few rounds. But when I try out T.Hawk I'm going to make certain to pick his pink outfit; if I'm going to play this guy I'm not going to do it halfway.

Geez, the game comes out this week!