Final Fight Double Impact - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2537 Views )

nobinobita
681th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Chad!" , posted Sat 6 Feb 01:03:post reply

Hello internet friends.

Capcom is having a Final Fight/Magic Sword coloring contest. One of my good friends, Chad Walker is one of the finalists. I humbly request that anyone who cares a smidge for art log into Capcom Unity and vote for his submission:

http://www.finalfightgame.com/

Vote for Chad!

Chad's one of the very best artists I've ever met. His piece is by far and away the best one on there. It's not only the most technically impressive, it's also the most inventive. You can really feel the temperature of his colors. So HOT and so COOL. He also does an amazing job of coloring the actual linework while staying faithful to the original artists hands.

This is basically just a popularity contest to drum up interest in the game, but there's more to it than that. I'm begging you to vote cos if Chad wins, he'll get a chance to interview with Capcom and maybe even become one of their production artists. And man, believe me, we need more genuinely interesting artists working in games today.

This guy is GOOD. But don't just take my word for it, see for yourself. Here are some original illustrations of his:

http://gammon.deviantart.com/art/Darkstalkers-Tribute-144651492

http://gammon.deviantart.com/art/HADOU-KUSO-111781858

http://gammon.deviantart.com/art/GET-PAID-Championship-Edition-128768044

http://gammon.deviantart.com/

We need more artists like this working professionally! Take a minute to vote and you can make a difference!

BTW, please note that Capcom-Unity does not work well in Chrome. I had to log in using Firefox.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 6 Feb 01:07]

Replies:

karasu99
283th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Sat 6 Feb 09:29post reply

quote:

We need more artists like this working professionally! Take a minute to vote and you can make a difference!

BTW, please note that Capcom-Unity does not work well in Chrome. I had to log in using Firefox.

You're right, and consider him voted for. So you're saying he's not a professional? He easily surpasses a lot of professional artists in this field. There's just no way he won't get work, I'd say.

Oh, and it worked in Chrome for me. Huh!

Maou
1907th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Sat 6 Feb 13:25:post reply

Woah. Chad's existence outside of Capcom while fan artists like Udon get to make real Capcom endings speaks of a deep unbalance in a universe that is about to tear itself in twain. Or maybe this contest will fix it.

Edit: further imbalance is evident given Capcom Unity's inability to code a webpage that can display in anything other than...Internet Explorer??? The internet has been around for how long now? Anyway, I will set things right by registering at that site (ick) and voting (hooray).

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 6 Feb 13:34]

GekigangerV
1639th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Mon 8 Feb 06:10post reply

Voted for Chad.

On the topic of Final Fight. The third game is now available in the 3 big regions on Vitual Console. If you never go a chance to play it, download it. I think it is the best gameplay wise. The deign of the enemies aren't as memorable as FF1's though.

Maese
555th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Tue 9 Feb 04:24post reply

Hey guys, sorry if I'm late to the party but... would you care to enlighten me a little bit about this Final Fight Double Impact thing? I've spent the last two months in a far away place surronded by snow and deprived of any kind of Internet connection, so I'm afraid I'm not really up to date with gaming world news. Anyway, is this Double Impact just a re-launch of the good ol' FF on virtual consoles, or is it a remake with new content of some sort?

Hagen de Merak
1048th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Tue 9 Feb 08:23post reply

quote:
Voted for Chad.

On the topic of Final Fight. The third game is now available in the 3 big regions on Vitual Console. If you never go a chance to play it, download it. I think it is the best gameplay wise. The deign of the enemies aren't as memorable as FF1's though.

My favorite beat'em up of all time. Keep in mind, I haven't played Guardian Heroes lol.

Iron D
3373th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Tue 9 Feb 08:51post reply

quote:
Hey guys, sorry if I'm late to the party but... would you care to enlighten me a little bit about this Final Fight Double Impact thing? I've spent the last two months in a far away place surronded by snow and deprived of any kind of Internet connection, so I'm afraid I'm not really up to date with gaming world news. Anyway, is this Double Impact just a re-launch of the good ol' FF on virtual consoles, or is it a remake with new content of some sort?

A re-release of FF1 bundled with Magic Sword. Slight graphics upgrade for both. Download for PSN and XBox Live (and WiiWare?.....not sure on that last one).

Er.....

CPSIII
158th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Tue 9 Feb 22:53post reply

quote:
Chad's one of the very best artists I've ever met. His piece is by far and away the best one on there. It's not only the most technically impressive, it's also the most inventive. You can really feel the temperature of his colors. So HOT and so COOL.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Inventive? The screen was already split by the postion of the linework and basically begged to be colored differently. And the cold side is not that cool/cold imo. Basically because of the guy on the lower left he's colored and shaded in warm colors that's not very "cool"

Personally I like Zarates version the best, it might not be as good technically but it looks the most homogeneous and colorful(which is a good thing for a video game cover of a game from the 80's).

All IMHO

How are you doin'

whitesword
1662th Post

"Re(2):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Tue 9 Feb 23:30post reply

quote:

Personally I like Zarates version the best, it might not be as good technically but it looks the most homogeneous and colorful(which is a good thing for a video game cover of a game from the 80's).

All IMHO

But that one is the worst!

(because Cody is wearing the wrong clothes in it, wtf)

Ishmael
3680th Post

"Re(3):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Wed 10 Feb 02:14post reply

quote:

I found the changes in the original piece brought on by the different coloring decisions and the techniques used to be interesting in an idle sort of way. But trying to punch up Cody by awkwardly drawing stripes on him? I'm not sure if I should be impressed or appalled by that level of coloring interpretation.

Maese
557th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Wed 10 Feb 06:20post reply

quote:

A re-release of FF1 bundled with Magic Sword. Slight graphics upgrade for both. Download for PSN and XBox Live (and WiiWare?.....not sure on that last one).

Thanks for the input!

Watching the screeshots I don't seem to notice the graphic update so much, but it's nice to see Hagggar & Co. punching trashcans trhough the streets again.

CPSIII
159th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Wed 10 Feb 06:35post reply

quote:

All IMHO

Hm... to me it seems like an akwardly placed shadow of the sword. I didn't even notice that before :P

How are you doin'

GekigangerV
1640th Post

"Re(7):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Wed 10 Feb 06:52post reply

quote:

Watching the screeshots I don't seem to notice the graphic update so much, but it's nice to see Hagggar & Co. punching trashcans trhough the streets again.

I don't think there is a graphical update, but a certain graphics filter so that the game doesn't look too bad on HD screens.

On one hand I would eat up a "HD Remix" of Final Fight, but on the other I would cry tears of blood if it graphically looked like SF HD Remix.

You would think that it would less time consuming/cheaper to do a HD Remix of Final Fight since half the roster is palette swaps and the stages are repeated patterns.

Maou
1908th Post

"Re(4):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Wed 10 Feb 12:34post reply

quote:
But trying to punch up Cody by awkwardly drawing stripes on him? I'm not sure if I should be impressed or appalled by that level of coloring interpretation.
SF Zero 3 Cody sez: hah-hah, hah-hah (in nasal laughter)!

nobinobita
681th Post

"Re(5):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Thu 11 Feb 02:27post reply

Thanks a ton for all the positive responses and votes. I'm glad Chad has a receptive audience at the Cafe.

It may be hard to believe, because he's so obviously goddamn talented, but he just hasn't had much luck working in the industry. When we were in school together, I thought he would be a shoe in at various game and comics companies, but they all kept saying "you don't have the style we're looking for." It drives me crazy. He's so much better than so many big name professionals, he just hasn't had a break yet.

It really kills me because he puts so much effort and passion into his work, and he really brings something unique to the table. He doesn't take shortcuts, he doesn't use fancy brushes and photo edits and cheap tricks. This guy just gets in there and paints. He paints digitally as if it were oil painting. And it's wonderful, because he's one of the few artists where his work is more enjoyable and engrossing the longer I stare at it. It doesn't fall apart under scrutiny.

So I appreciate any support you guys have sent his way. He's so incredibly talented. His only problem is that he doesn't go out and schmooze enough. He's the kind of quiet genius who's always diligently working to improve their craft. The kind of person the world generally passes by because they're not self aggrandizing, they hope their work will speak for itself. He's the kind of guy that needs a good push from the outside. So I hope I've spoken on his behalf well enough. He's a good dude. Passionate and genuine. The kind of person you hope will win in life. So thanks for your support!

Grave
1299th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Thu 11 Feb 07:31:post reply

Hooray Chad!

His statement upon winning is great. I especially enjoyed the last two lines. Congrats to your friend, he did an awesome job!

edit: wow editing posts on this phone is annoying

[this message was edited by Grave on Thu 11 Feb 07:36]

Pollyanna
2848th Post

"Re(6):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Thu 11 Feb 07:48post reply

quote:

It may be hard to believe, because he's so obviously goddamn talented, but he just hasn't had much luck working in the industry. When we were in school together, I thought he would be a shoe in at various game and comics companies, but they all kept saying "you don't have the style we're looking for." It drives me crazy. He's so much better than so many big name professionals, he just hasn't had a break yet.

It really kills me because he puts so much effort and passion into his work, and he really brings something unique to the table. He doesn't take shortcuts, he doesn't use fancy brushes and photo edits and cheap tricks. This guy just gets in there and paints. He paints digitally as if it were oil painting. And it's wonderful, because he's one of the few artists where his work is more enjoyable and engrossing the longer I stare at it. It doesn't fall apart under scrutiny.

Is he just trying to get work as an illustrator, or as a comic artist (err...like actual comic, not just the cover)?

The problem with so many companies (especially game companies) is that they're run on the whims of people who know nothing about art, sometimes nothing about games. I've seen instances where the higher ups will ignore their art division's advice and choose some blatantly mediocre artist for the project, only to find that they're incapable of delivering professional work and having to scrap everything and start over with someone new. The new artist comes into the project when it's already doing poorly, and isgiven ridiculous requests ("Give him a purple top hat and a neon yellow ruffly shirt...no...a floppy green hat. No...both! Give him a top hat AND a floppy hat!"). After doing $20,000 (or so) of work for them, the project is canned, and while the artist can make the rent, they don't have anything they can put on their resume.

This has been a frustration for me (on the writing end), since I spent several years working on game projects...but none of them were published, so it's like it never happened.

Non edit EDIT:
Hurray! He won! Hopefully he can make a good impression in person as well! The importance of that is perhaps embodied by a piece of advice I was given one time in reference to why I didn't get more work: "it's not that you're not talented, it's your personality that's no good."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
682th Post

"Re(7):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Thu 11 Feb 09:10post reply

Holy moly! He won!

@_____@

Thanks a million to everyone that voted.
You've made a huge difference in someone's life! (16 vote margin! crazy!)

This truly is a great triumph in the name of art.

I really have more faith in the (gaming) world now.

And yeah. Best acceptance speech ever.

nobinobita
683th Post

"Re(7):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Thu 11 Feb 09:14post reply

quote:

edit: wow editing posts on this phone is annoying

This is comedy gold folks.

nobinobita
685th Post

"Re(7):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Thu 11 Feb 09:46:post reply

quote:

Is he just trying to get work as an illustrator, or as a comic artist (err...like actual comic, not just the cover)?

He's been going after coloring jobs and cover illustration work. He's actually done a tiny bit of work for Udon in the past on a rather infamous project that's better left unnamed...

I've been trying to push him into going after more game related work. He'd be great as a concept artist, or at the very least a production artist.

I'm really hoping he can segueway this victory into an art job at Capcom. He'd be a great fit there.

If you got any good leads elsewhere though, I'll pass them on to him (I love playing art manager).

quote:
The problem with so many companies (especially game companies) is that they're run on the whims of people who know nothing about art, sometimes nothing about games. I've seen instances where the higher ups will ignore their art division's advice and choose some blatantly mediocre artist for the project, only to find that they're incapable of delivering professional work and having to scrap everything and start over with someone new. The new artist comes into the project when it's already doing poorly, and isgiven ridiculous requests ("Give him a purple top hat and a neon yellow ruffly shirt...no...a floppy green hat. No...both! Give him a top hat AND a floppy hat!"). After doing $20,000 (or so) of work for them, the project is canned, and while the artist can make the rent, they don't have anything they can put on their resume.

This has been a frustration for me (on the writing end), since I spent several years working on game projects...but none of them were published, so it's like it never happened.

This is all too true. You have to commit to a very mercenary lifestyle when you enter the game industry. One where you're often engaging in useless, unfair battles. But it's an amazing and beautiful thing when a project comes together.

quote:

Non edit EDIT:
Hurray! He won! Hopefully he can make a good impression in person as well! The importance of that is perhaps embodied by a piece of advice I was given one time in reference to why I didn't get more work: "it's not that you're not talented, it's your personality that's no good."

Cruel words, but sobering advice. Talent and skill aren't everything. Personality goes a loooooong way. And by personality I mean things like good work ethic, friendliness, responsibility and the ability to take constructive criticism.

From what I can gleam from your posts you don't seem to have a problem with any of these things though.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 11 Feb 09:49]

Grave
1299th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(8):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Thu 11 Feb 11:16post reply

quote:
This is comedy gold folks.

Hey, because of that post I now know that you can hold the shift button and use the d-pad to select text in the Android browser! Am I smarter than the smartphone yet?

Toxico
4854th Post

"Re(8):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Thu 11 Feb 11:38post reply

quote:

Cruel words, but sobering advice. Talent and skill aren't everything. Personality goes a loooooong way.

Well, if you like to see it that way (and that's how it is, actually), also be sure to remember that the defining factor in that small margin victory was more or less public choice.... And as such, using weird conspiracy theory posts to advertise his work in world renown gay elitist gaming boards across the inet has proved to be a good move.

Congratulations on a job well done (an earned).

obscene voodoo dance teleport

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 21 as of 29/01/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 15 as of 21/01/10

Maou
1911th Post

"Re(9):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Thu 11 Feb 11:52post reply

quote:
Well, if you like to see it that way (and that's how it is, actually), also be sure to remember that the defining factor in that small margin victory was more or less public choice.... And as such, using weird conspiracy theory posts to advertise his work in world renown gay elitist gaming boards across the inet has proved to be a good move.

As usual, the mad hatter Toxico is correct. Future art contests had better beware and make sure to court the Cafe Vote demographic. Go Chad!

GekigangerV
1641th Post

"Re(10):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for C" , posted Thu 11 Feb 15:12post reply

HURRAY CHAD!

I didn't discuss the other art before, but I thought the other guys were rather average. It seemed like they were trying to follow the coloring of an average Street Fighter comic. Which is good, but doesn't stand out. Chad's style really added depth to the characters, especially Cody.

The only thing I didn't like was that abrupt blackness at the bottom of the image. Why'd he stop the blue all of a sudden?

I know this is kind of random, but what is up with Red/Blue contrast themes? They've been around for as long as I can remember. Crypts/Bloods, Pokemon, Halo, movie posters have Orange/Blue pretty prominently now. Two images in this art contest had it, Chad's included. Can some art person here tell me what exactly these two colors are supposed to elicit out of people to be used so often?

I hope Chad finds a path into the business with this. Let us know what that Final Fight goody bag he got contains when it comes in.

Pollyanna
2850th Post

"Re(8):Final Fight Double Impact - vote for Ch" , posted Fri 12 Feb 20:24post reply

quote:
If you got any good leads elsewhere though, I'll pass them on to him (I love playing art manager).

I wouldn't say "leads", but I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to expand his horizons and try doing actual comics or manga. If you're not trying to get your own story published and retain your rights, then it's not nearly as hard to find work. Cross-licensing, adaptations and collaborations are especially popular in the manga industry right now. If you work for one editor and make a good impression, they'll speak to other editors, other publishers and other media companies. Sometimes game companies even approach comic companies looking for artists.

Also, sometimes the best way to get published is to get published...if that makes any sense.

Maybe even trying something like Zuda(comics.com) might not be a bad idea?

quote:
Talent and skill aren't everything. Personality goes a loooooong way. And by personality I mean things like good work ethic, friendliness, responsibility and the ability to take constructive criticism.

From what I can gleam from your posts you don't seem to have a problem with any of these things though.

I really pride myself on my professionalism and work ethic. Even if I'm not the best person for a job, I'm probably the most sincere and hard-working. My problem was that "professionalism" got in the way of making connections. My "good manners" made me seem offish and unconfident. In the entertainment industry, being fun to work with can be an important factor.

You can't be afraid to be persistent. Go to Comic Con and show your portfolio to anyone who will look at it. If they don't like you, ask them what you can do. Send the portfolio to any company you might like to work for and some you wouldn't. Who knows when you might find someone who likes your art.

This is all really obvious advice, I suppose, but I thought I would give it all the same.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
729th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"New Ryu Pic" , posted Tue 27 Apr 08:38:post reply

Chad just finished up another awesome Street Fighter piece:

http://gammon.deviantart.com/art/That-Picture-of-Ryu-161983734?offset=20#comments

The artist's description will make your head pop.

The piece is actually a gift art for Capcom as a show of gratitude for selecting his entry as the winner of the Final Fight coloring contest. He got to show it to them in person at Capcom Captivate a little while back and they all seemed to like it along with his other work. He said Ono gave him very positive feedback. He loved the Urien shopping for underwear illustration. And his favorite was Chad'sDarkstalkers painting.

When he saw that piece, Ono mentioned that he really wants to redo Darkstalkers, but Capcom won't let him heh.

Anyway, I hope that Chad can leverage that weekend into more work from Capcom (and maybe other publishers). He's just too good!

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 27 Apr 08:41]

Maou
1989th Post

"Re(1):New Ryu Pic" , posted Tue 27 Apr 10:24:post reply

quote:
Urien shopping for underwear illustration.
Outstanding. I desire store clerk Zangief to be an alternate outfit.

And that Vampire Hunter picture is really, really good.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 27 Apr 10:24]

Stifu
362th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):New Ryu Pic" , posted Wed 28 Apr 21:11post reply

While trying to check out what the other finalists made, I stumbled on a dead link.

http://www.finalfight.com/ <- Seems like noobs at Capcom didn't re-register the domain name in time