Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (7018 Views )

nobinobita
1584th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Thu 21 Apr 16:50:post reply

I hereby request that we start a Kinu Nishimura thread. She has always been one of my art heroes. I love her work, but I know next to nothing about the legendary woman herself other than that she was quite respected and feared at Capcom.

I'm sure the Professor and other esteemed posters who are fluent in Japanese have all sorts of tasty morsels of information about her that currently do not exist on the English speaking side of the internet. For instance, I know she's done some awesome doujinshii and visual novels, but I don't know where to get them.

Here is my one interesting story about her from the time me and some buddies got to interview Daigo Ikeno at the Japan Expo 2nd Impact 2014.

According to Ikeno-Sensei, Kinu was very respected and very very feared at Capcom. She and Akiman were the top guns. He said that Kinu would often come over and watch people draw at their desks. She didn't have to say anything. If she had a slightly bemused expression on her face it meant that your work just wasn't cutting it and the shame of that would drive people past their limits. I wish I could have witnessed her wordless thrashings in person.

Daigo Ikeno continues to call her his sensei to this day.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 21 Apr 16:52]

Replies:

Maou
3118th Post

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Thu 21 Apr 17:35post reply

I adore Kinu's work. Whether it's the colorful (literal and personality-wise) Capcom masterpieces that made the 1990s art books such treasures, the evocative expressions of the Dragon's Crown guest art, or character design so good as to make even a (probably) weak game like Code of Princess look appealing, Kinu's technical skill and sense of fun are unsurpassed in my book. I love that story you heard about her wordless cuts.
quote:

Daigo Ikeno continues to call her his sensei to this day.
As well he should. Weren't those SFIV designs his fault?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Loona
1053th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
CFN: n/a

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Thu 21 Apr 18:02post reply

I don't have much to add other than the fact I love her ensemble pieces.

Especially the ones with Devilotte for some reason - her particular character archetype has been done countless times before and after, but subtle things in her design (the harsh-looking thick belt in the middle of an otherwise delicate princess-ish dress and the big forehead giving extra intensity to her gaze, I guess) just make it work really well and kept her around as living memory of Cyberbots in other games like Puzzle Fighter and Project X Zone.
I wish that game's setting and designs got used again beyond the usual Jin and Devilotte, even if in a completely different genre... Super Robot Wars presence when?...

...!!

Professor
4855th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Thu 21 Apr 19:45:post reply

Kinu self-admittedly is known to be really good at what's called yojou-han (four-and-a-half straw mat) composition, which simply refers to compositions that are confined to a relatively small space, let it be indoors or outdoors. A few good examples would be this and this.

As a student, Kinu decided to go into art school because of her desire to work in the manga field. But one day she saw Akiman's artwork in an issue of Gamest Magazine and she was stunned that someone that good was in the videogame industry. Long story short, that's how she ended up deciding to work at Capcom.

Until then, she assumed that the road to drawing stuff in manga-style was really hard and long because her impression was that the main market at the time was in the anime field where major artists like Yoshikazu Yasuhiko were around. But realizing that there was also the videogame market where she can try her luck-- and it was a market that felt more realistically feasible to her since the companies were always recruiting for new artists, she decided to take that route.

Ironically, she's tried her hands on manga last year with a solo doujinshi but apparently ran out of gas because it was a new experience, and ended up having OnepunchMan's Murata helping her out on a few pages. I should've picked it up...!!

Little is it known that she's probably even better at drawing with a more realistic touch.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 21 Apr 23:13]

Spoon
3325th Post

"Re(2):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Fri 22 Apr 01:04post reply

When you're at the deadline and the person you can get to pinch hit for you is Murata, you're really something.

Lord SNK
131th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Fri 22 Apr 03:29post reply

I didn't know her name, but recognized her work here and there, than probably around the release of 999 when her name became more popular in the west (more videogames blog&news site used her name explicitly in their posts) I recognized her "hand" and started to link all her works I saw in the past that I liked and didn't know it was hers.
Like the SVC artworks, for example this one posted earlier by the Prof, it's one my preferred artwork ever.
I love how she draw and especially how she use colors.

quote:
... Cyberbots ...
I wish that game's setting and designs got used again beyond the usual Jin and Devilotte, even if in a completely different genre... Super Robot Wars presence when?...

Well, SRW already had Cyber Troopers Virtual-On in the past, it's not completely impossible for Cyberbots to get in a SRW.

Toxico
6014th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(3):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Fri 22 Apr 06:00post reply

I have an absolutely fascinating long story of love, hate frustration and excitement with Capcom and Kinu is an important piece on all of the ups and downs I had there.

I still remember seeing her SF2 cast illustrations through magazines and grieving that the in-game art didn't look any like that.

..... If the MMCafe somehow had a "the men of our dreams" award, I'm sure Kinu would somehow have gotten plenty of nominations; that speaks respect.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

Mosquiton
2145th Post

"Re(1):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Fri 22 Apr 11:18post reply

quote:
I hereby request that we start a Kinu Nishimura thread. She has always been one of my art heroes. I love her work, but I know next to nothing about the legendary woman herself other than that she was quite respected and feared at Capcom.

Kinu is actually my favorite Capcom artist. It's hard for me to think of game characters as real people sometimes... I usually tend to think of them as icons or abstract concepts. But the expressiveness Nishimura puts in characters' faces (well, not just the faces) just really sells it for me. When I think of a character outside of playing a Capcom game, if she's drawn them I'm probably going to think of her illustrations. She even makes characters I hardly care about seem super cool.

Which is why her SNK character illustrations for CVS felt like a special present. I also loved her art in Cannon Spike. I would suggest to Capcom a Monster Hunter-like game called Alien Hunter, starring Simone (with or without the rollerblades).

Since Akiman has already been brought up, here's something strange I've noticed. Both he and Nishimura have a similar takes on half-naked battle princesses. I wonder if they sat down and talked about this one day?

"So, what do you think are the most important qualities for a fighting princess to exhibit?"

"Hmm... I would have to say long, blonde hair, and a state of dress close to total nudity. But I guess she does need some armor."

"Well, one should put some super-chunky armor pieces on her, for sure. Just don't cover up anything important."

/ / /

Maou
3119th Post

"Re(2):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Fri 22 Apr 15:32post reply

Great art selections, Mosquiton. On the subject of Kinu and Akiman, this reminds me: does anyone have some favorites among the myriad Capcom/SF artbooks over the years that feature their work?

I particularly remember a popular one from the mid 1990s that I foolishly never bought, featuring a huge collage of SF/Vampire/other characters on the front. Later, there was the All About Capcom one, a fairly huge recent one, and a number of others. With Kinu and SFV on the mind, I feel like now's the time to fill this gap in my collection: any thoughts?

nobinobita
1586th Post

"Re(3):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Fri 22 Apr 17:14:post reply

quote:
Great art selections, Mosquiton. On the subject of Kinu and Akiman, this reminds me: does anyone have some favorites among the myriad Capcom/SF artbooks over the years that feature their work?

I particularly remember a popular one from the mid 1990s that I foolishly never bought, featuring a huge collage of SF/Vampire/other characters on the front. Later, there was the All About Capcom one, a fairly huge recent one, and a number of others. With Kinu and SFV on the mind, I feel like now's the time to fill this gap in my collection: any thoughts?

Capcom Design Works is my art bible. If I had to pick just a single artbook to own, that would be it. It has a really great sampling of the best of Capcom's art from the 90s through the early 2000s. It was the first thing I ever ordered from Amazon Japan (along with Katsuya Terada's Monkey King and Kazuma Kaneko's MegaTen books--all worth their weight in gold!).

Here's a nice writeup on Capcom Design works:
http://cdn.halcyonrealms.com/illustration/capcom-design-works-art-book/
If you do decide to order it, might as well do it through that website so they get a little kickback from the link.

If there is a series that you particularly like, I recommend you get the corresponding book for it to go alongside Capcom Design Works.

For instance, the Vampire/Darkstalkers book is excellent and full of awesome illustrations, mostly from Bengus:
http://cdn.halcyonrealms.com/illustration/vampire-artworks-capcom-games-art-book-review/

If you love Kinu and Akiman then your best bet is the 25th Anniversary Art of Street Fighter book:
http://www.parkablogs.com/content/book-review-sf25-art-of-street-fighter

Be careful not to confuse it with the previous, 20th Anniversary book, which has less content:
http://cdn.halcyonrealms.com/illustration/the-art-of-street-fighter-street-fighter-artworks/

Akiman has some really great standalone books too. For instance this one is a collection of his more recent game illustrations, including stuff outside of Capcom:
http://cdn.halcyonrealms.com/illustration/akimando-akira-yasuda-art-works-book-review/

Here's his Turn A Gundam book, full of beautiful impressionistic paintings:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%AE%89%E7%94%B0%E6%9C%97-%E3%82%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%83%80%E3%83%A0%E3%83%87%E3%82%B6%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BA-%E5%AE%89%E7%94%B0-%E6%9C%97/dp/4048532936/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1461312664&sr=1-1&keywords=%E2%88%80%EF%BC%88%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%A8%E3%83%BC%EF%BC%89%E3%82%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%83%80%E3%83%A0

He was a real innovator when it came to digital painting, and bringing a classical approach to comics/games/animation art in general.

Most of Capcom's artbooks are quite excellent with the exception of the Street Fighter vs Tekken book which has zero art from the luminaries, with the exception of the cover that Akiman phoned in.

If you find yourself split between the Japanese and US versions, I recommend you get the Japanese editions for their superior print quality. For some reason the US editions from Udon tend to be printed on paper that's either too thin like magazine stock or too thick with a weak spine so the pages fall out easily. They ARE in English though, so if you're a super fan (who can't read Japanese) get them both! :D

I wish Kinu would release a collection of her work. Same for Bengus and Ikeno. If anyone has any links to Kinu's self published works I would super duper appreciate that. My body and soul yearn with every fiber for those Kinu x Yusuke Murata books!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Fri 22 Apr 17:16]

chazumaru
1662th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Fri 22 Apr 19:16post reply

Little known fact (I think?): if you have a Japanese 3DS, you can even buy a digital version of the Capcom Design Works in the Dokodemo Honya-san app. Both the early years tome and the (revised) modern years tome are there, sold separately. I am not sure why you'd do that, but it's possible, and therefore I did it. Unfortunately, the app astutely does not allow screenshots on Miiverse (to prevent people from freely sharing pages of One Piece with each other) so it's impossible to share your love of Kinu that way.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Iggy
10207th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(4):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Fri 22 Apr 19:47post reply

I had forgotten how good her work on CvS was (especially compared to Shinkiro)(never been a fan of him).
If Capcom is serious about monetizing SF5, they should have "have all the characters on the selection screen drawn by Akiman (500Y), Nishimura (500Y), etc". With the option to mix&match and have Chunli Akiman vs Nishimura Laura.
Ikeno, Bengus, Shinkiro... They could make some good money while giving work to talented people AND celebrating their own legacy, something they're obviously trying to do with the Guile stage.
I would love to see Edayan as well, but he's probably chained in a basement somewhere.

And the last one would be Hiroaki, it would be gorgeous, and the moment the option goes live the game server breaks and Capcom goes under.

Neo0r0chiaku
168th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: dc202styles

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Fri 22 Apr 20:54post reply

quote:
I had forgotten how good her work on CvS was (especially compared to Shinkiro)(never been a fan of him).
If Capcom is serious about monetizing SF5, they should have "have all the characters on the selection screen drawn by Akiman (500Y), Nishimura (500Y), etc". With the option to mix&match and have Chunli Akiman vs Nishimura Laura.
Ikeno, Bengus, Shinkiro... They could make some good money while giving work to talented people AND celebrating their own legacy, something they're obviously trying to do with the Guile stage.
I would love to see Edayan as well, but he's probably chained in a basement somewhere.

And the last one would be Hiroaki, it would be gorgeous, and the moment the option goes live the game server breaks and Capcom goes under.

Did not realize he illustrated other Capcom games after I seen posts of his other work from the cafe members. His CVS illustrations are cool indeed.

quote:
Here's a nice writeup on Capcom Design works:
http://cdn.halcyonrealms.com/illustration/capcom-design-works-art-book/
If you do decide to order it, might as well do it through that website so they get a little kickback from the link.

That final fight one still amazes me.

Moving out of topic to Shinkiro and a question for the professor, does Shinkiro provide personal illustrations for those seeking art non-gaming wise? Say if a customer wanted Shinkiro to create a picture of his family or so?

Long Live I AM!

chazumaru
1663th Post

"Re(5):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Fri 22 Apr 21:00post reply

quote:

I like the idea but each DLC would cost much much more to be realistically feasible.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Iggy
10209th Post

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(6):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Fri 22 Apr 21:23post reply

quote:
I like the idea but each DLC would cost much much more to be realistically feasible.

Because nobody except a couple of die-hard would buy them?
Ah, or do you mean because you would need to future-proof the concept because of the new characters constantly added to the game?
Well, then... 100Y for a group of 5 characters by this artist, with possible overlap between different artists?

LEGENOARYNINLIA
474th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Fri 22 Apr 22:10post reply

quote:

Indeed, her work in that series is incredible. Unfortunately Shinkiro was in his airbrush-mush-look slump back then. Just compare something he made for the Real Bout series with something from KOF 2000. Ugh. Though I can understand how drawing the same characters on plain white backgrounds every damn year can be a curse.

Her work on the SF3 series is what I appreciate the most. I think she really sold those new characters with her style. Anyone who disagrees with that probably plays IV.

~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
videograpple.tumblr.com/

Maou
3120th Post

"Re(6):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Sat 23 Apr 12:34post reply

Great round-up, Nobi! Now I can get down to the business of acquisition.

quote:
Anyone who disagrees with that probably plays IV.
Heheheh. It's such the perfect cut-down (sorry, Ikeno). While in my mind even Kinu couldn't save SFIII's designs from themselves, her renditions are certainly the most appealing versions of that cast I've seen---I can still remember the exact expressions/poses on certain characters, despite not having seen them for years.

chazumaru
1668th Post

"Re(7):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Sat 23 Apr 12:39post reply

quote:

Because nobody except a couple of die-hard would buy them?
Ah, or do you mean because you would need to future-proof the concept because of the new characters constantly added to the game?
Well, then... 100Y for a group of 5 characters by this artist, with possible overlap between different artists?

In your scenario, I assume everyone is paid in advance, at the very least via a minimum guarantee on DLC sales until some royalties system eventually kick in (but I don't think they'd even bother with that and simply ask for a flat fee). There are 22 characters to draw minimum. For practicality, let's assume Capcom suddenly gives up and stays at 22 max. That's still quite a hefty workload; hell, it might be more than what Akiman had to do for Star Ocean V.

Even at JPY100 for 5 characters, that's only JPY20 revenue/character/purchase for Kinu, and you have to assume neither Capcom, Dimps nor Sony nor Steam are taking any cut out of this purchase despite the additional costs of integrating and digitally distributing those drawings into the game. And no VAT.

I assume Capcom would want at the very least $40.000 revenue to justify this insane entreprise (and that's practically charity at this rate), which we can convert loosely for the sake of arguemathics into JPY4 Millions. So you'd need to sell 40.000 of those JPY100 DLCs to reach this revenue (again, with no cut for Sony or Steam, and no VAT).

A more realistic figure would be JPY1500 per artist pack, and you get all 22 characters. That raises the value of each illustration to roughly 50~60 yens + tax, everyone can realistically get a very small cut out of it. Still very risky for Capcom but not "sorryJimyouarefired" risky. It could be justified as a PR move or a driver for the digital store's activity.I assume the few people who'd give a damn about this DLC would be OK with that price. Wouldn't you?

----

I might be missing on some smartphone app collaboration but I believe Kinu's next game-related involvement will be in Culdcept Revolt this summer.

Même Narumi est épatée !

nobinobita
1588th Post

"Re(7):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Mon 25 Apr 15:22:post reply

quote:
Great round-up, Nobi! Now I can get down to the business of acquisition.

Glad I could help!

quote:
Anyone who disagrees with that probably plays IV.Heheheh. It's such the perfect cut-down (sorry, Ikeno). While in my mind even Kinu couldn't save SFIII's designs from themselves, her renditions are certainly the most appealing versions of that cast I've seen---I can still remember the exact expressions/poses on certain characters, despite not having seen them for years.

Your hatred of SFIII from an artistic standpoint is like a dagger through my heart lol!

Re: SFIV, keep in mind that Ikeno actually had some GREAT character designs lined up before they forced him to change things up for god knows what reasons. For instance, King Cobra looked GREAT.

I especially liked the version of him that looked like Kareem Abdul Jabbar in Game of Death.

http://www.noe-v.com/images/articles/representation/cobra_kareem.jpg

His NBA sized physique was so cool. Very unique for video games. I love his flamboyant fur lined boxing robes, combined with the hard as nails ball and chain belt. His face looks awesome too. And you can even see that there's something slightly off with his eyes, they're a bit too light because he was probably meant to be photosensitive like the character in Game of Death.

The version of him as a younger man was also awesome:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WRN2c0Z2h0U/VYKXRZSq4CI/AAAAAAAACH8/SdIs4jVCnq0/s1600/king%2Bcobra%2Bstreet%2Bfighter.jpg
It would have been great to have a straightforwardly cool young black dude in a fighting game. This design would have made so many people happy.

Hell, even the version of him as a big fat dude with a spikey fro and gold chains was cool! A fresh take on a well worn stereotype.
http://www.noe-v.com/images/articles/howtodraw/rufusconcept01.jpg

But instead we got Rufus.
[url=http://www.noe-v.com/images/articles/cobra_rufus01.jpg
]http://www.noe-v.com/images/articles/cobra_rufus01.jpg
I don't know what happened. Like, what kind of horrible feedback did they give Ikeno to turn a cool black dude who practices his own original form of martial arts into a disgusting fat white guy who wants to be Chinese? Did someone high up just really love Bob from Tekken? Did they see Bob's hamburger hat and say "yes, that's it!" And why did Rufus have to REPLACE King Cobra? Why not both characters?

Also, El Fuerte was SO MUCH COOLER when he was an stocky middle aged mexican man:
http://36.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzwqq6kub61qfnmveo1_500.jpg

In any case, Daigo Ikeno is awesome and although I have no love for SFIV as a game, I do love the art he produced for it.

I don't understand how Capcom can still have artists like Ikeno, Bengus and Edayan on staff, but for SFV they decide to farm everything out to people who are accustomed to doing art outsourcing for FPS games. And I really don't understand why so much of the fan base is lapping it up.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 25 Apr 15:25]

Maou
3122th Post

"Re(8):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Mon 25 Apr 15:37:post reply

God, that King Cobra transformation is the saddest thing I've ever seen. Only thinking about Kinu could make me feel good again after that! Speaking of which:
quote:

Your hatred of SFIII from an artistic standpoint is like a dagger through my heart lol!
Ha, never fear, our tastes are still closely aligned (and did you see Oju's stuff I e-mailed you?). And never fear, even if I hate nearly all of SFIII's character designs, I have such huge respect for the quality of the animation and the art itself that it evens out. Think of it in terms of Capcom's 90s Marvel games: I don't like superheroes at all, but they look magnificent there, the best they could possibly look. III characters done by Kinu are similar for me. The New Generation art is especially interesting.

Meanwhile, I'm carefully weighing whether the 120% markup rate on the 25th anniversary artbook is worth the trouble, or whether I'll feel like a sap when the 30th anniversary artbook comes out next year and is even bigger.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 25 Apr 15:48]

Iggy
10214th Post

"Re(9):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Mon 25 Apr 20:37post reply

quote:

Class of 2116, pay attention: people from the early XXIst century used to add emoticons and seemingly meaningless words such as "LOL" on the internet to send thinly veiled threats.
A modern translation of the sentence above will be "If one day the police finds your dead body in a dark alley strapped onto an arcade machine of SF4 and you look like you've been forced to play Rufus until your fingers fall off, they won't be able to trace it back to me".

The King Kobra travesty is still a huge mystery for me. Even more is the fact none of the new SF5 characters are black. Fortunately none of them are white either so that's a bit of diversity, but I fully expected someone at Capcom USA to at least read all the positive responses to Kobra on the net, send them back to Japan and push to re-introduce the character.
Apparently, the new black bystander in Guile's stage will be featured in the scenario mode, so maybe he's a contender for being upgraded to playable character in the future? He looks so underwhelming compared to all these Kobra designs...
I boggles my mind that a series so centered on the US market only has 4 black characters in total, only 1 of them American, and all of them were introduced before Capcom US took the direction of the franchise. What is the US branch doing?

I have a lingering doubt that part of Gouki's popularity comes from the fact he's one of the rare badass-for-15-years-old dark-skinned character featured in the game.

Loona
1058th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(8):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Mon 25 Apr 22:02post reply

quote:

His NBA sized physique was so cool. Very unique for video games.

Lucky Glauber was already based on Kareem Abdul-Jabbar back in 94 - they just decided to emphasize the basketball factor because apparently they feared he'd look too plain - could have been less of an issue in 3D with the possibility of alternate outfits...

...!!

Maou
3123th Post

"Re(10):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Tue 26 Apr 01:14post reply

quote:
Class of 2116, pay attention: people from the early XXIst century used to add emoticons and seemingly meaningless words such as "LOL" on the internet to send thinly veiled threats.
Heheh, while I would probably need police protection if I went to Shoryuken.com while mentioning how I think SFIII is even less enjoyable than Virtua Fighter, I know I am safe with Nobi as long as I underline how 3S Chun-Li's 1000000 frames of animated perfection still make me want to play a game I don't like.

Moving this back towards Kinu, I'd love to avoid the cheap Google route and ask people what other huge games they remember her work from. Her joyously vibrant style is a perfect match for Rockman and I know she's drawn him in various Capcom collages, but not sure about her actual involvement in various projects over the years. Inform me~

Mosquiton
2146th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thre" , posted Tue 26 Apr 04:52post reply

quote:
Her joyously vibrant style is a perfect match for Rockman and I know she's drawn him in various Capcom collages, but not sure about her actual involvement in various projects over the years. Inform me~

I guess I will have to double dip here. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this given the huge amount of love on this board for JoJo and Dragon's Crown, but Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara has some pretty cool art.

Welcome to the D&D World!

Cheers, the whole group is hanging out at the tavern. It's what adventurers do, after all.

It's Lucia and... Moriah. Absolutely no nuts and bolts concealed in her clothing. There may be a few gems, knives, and flaming oil bombs, though.

Also, the 2P design for the thief (Shannon) is hanging out to the left of the larger illustration.

One more thief, because she looks great.

I also like Mystara's wizard. A bit of arcane power in the hair.

/ / /

Maou
3124th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thre" , posted Tue 26 Apr 20:28post reply

Oh yeahhhh! More great selections, Mosqui-tan. Like the real D&D, I've only played the arcade D&D for the briefest of moments but have enormous respect for it given the things I love that built on them (all RPGs for the former, Dragon's Crown for the latter).

Kinu's work on those characters is beautiful. Her appreciation of the female form is fantastic, and backed up by wonderful design choices, and (bringing back the Dragon's Crown connection) the American internet has no hope of understanding it.

nobinobita
1589th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thre" , posted Wed 27 Apr 00:57:post reply

quote:

Class of 2116, pay attention: people from the early XXIst century used to add emoticons and seemingly meaningless words such as "LOL" on the internet to send thinly veiled threats.Heheh, while I would probably need police protection if I went to Shoryuken.com while mentioning how I think SFIII is even less enjoyable than Virtua Fighter, I know I am safe with Nobi as long as I underline how 3S Chun-Li's 1000000 frames of animated perfection still make me want to play a game I don't like.

LOL

quote:
D&D

Ah man always loved those games! I grew up playing D&D with my brothers. Capcom did such an amazing job translating the D&D experience to an arcade Beat em Up. I could go on and on bout the gameplay, but this is the Kinu thread so I'll focus on the art.

GODDAMN ITS SO GOOD.

Her take on each character class is so fresh and so iconic. That's the word I find myself using over and over again when describing what the legendary Capcom artists did best.

Like the Fighter. He's wearing lots of plate mail, but he doesn't look like a knight that belongs to a kingdom. He looks like an adventurer. The way his chunky armor hangs over his muscular frame is balanced so well. It looks so natural in Kinu's style. I think this design (and this game in general, but particularly this design) must have had a huge impact on the guys at Blizzard. Warcraft (Nov 1994) came out a year after Tower of Doom (1993). I mean Blizzard definitely primarily drew upon Games Workshop for inspiration, but my intuition tells me Capcom was a big influence too.

The Wizard is so flippin cool. A far cry from the usual awkward frail medieval nerd. This guy looks like he could have been in a 90s post-hardcore punk band. He still feels like a wizard though. His look of absolute seriousness tells you he's a very studious person.

And the Thief! Oh man, she was my favourite! Thieves are typically smarmy, raggedy men concealing knives. But Kinu's thief is an awesome, athletic dark skinned woman wileding a broad sword. She still looks like a thief though, in her iconic hood, thick utility belt and overall free spirited demeanor.

I think this may have been the first game I can recall where I liked using a girl character the best. As a kid I just didn't like using girly characters typically. The thief was just awesome. Not cos she was pretty or sexy (nothing wrong with those things), but cos she was COOL in the same way that all the guy characters I tended to like were cool (she was the closest thing the game had to a ninja).

Kinu made a spiritual successor to her in Code of Princess, in the thief character Ali Baba.

That game had a great cast too! And a great sense of humour! It's a shame that so many people in the US are so quick to call it sexist, cos it very much feels like a game made from a more female perspective. Like Master T Drakkhen isn't obviously sexualized at first glance, but somehow I get the feeling he is touching on Kinu's personal fetishes (strong older brother kungfu fighting bondage man)

If that game had better in-game graphics that actually looked like Kinu's art, it would probably be one of my favourites.

edit:
According to Wikipedia, Kinu actually wrote the story to Code of Princess! I can't read Japanese, so I can't really verify this, but playing the game I really did get the sense that a woman must have written it cos the women actually feel like women while the men did not feel like characters that a dude would come up with (in a good way though).

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 27 Apr 01:08]

Spoon
3336th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thre" , posted Wed 27 Apr 03:58post reply

quote:

cos
cos
cos

nobi I love you but this has to stop
please think of the children you're influencing

LEGENOARYNINLIA
482th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Wed 27 Apr 06:35post reply

quote:
SFIII's character designs ... 90s Marvel ... Kinu

One of the reasons why Necro is one of my all time favourite Street Fighter characters is because he has that 90's superhero vibe going on.

And when I see him drawn by someone else than Kinu I usually think "wow, that is the worst character design ever."

~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
videograpple.tumblr.com/

Maou
3125th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thre" , posted Wed 27 Apr 10:49post reply

quote:

cos
cos
cos

nobi I love you but this has to stop
please think of the children you're influencing

Hahaha, never fear, Spoon, "cos" is merely a healthy way of showing vereration for MOK-KOS.

Nobi, you're right that Kinu did indeed do the original story design for Code of Princess, though hard to tell how much the director impacted after that. I always wanted to play the game based on her designs, but the in-game pictures I saw didn't draw me in. Am I missing out on a beautiful Kinu World?

Ishmael
5454th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(5):Re(10):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thre" , posted Thu 28 Apr 00:25post reply

There is much to love about the D&D games but one thing I found charming was how it handled 2P characters. Graphically they were just recolored bodies with modified heads but they felt and looked like distinct characters. It's too possible to mistake which character is which when using palette swaps but the D&D characters rarely had this problem even when the screen was filled with action. Being able to build an entire secondary cast out of such limited pieces was a neat trick.

chazumaru
1673th Post

"Re(volt):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Thread" , posted Fri 6 May 22:07post reply

quote:
I might be missing on some smartphone app collaboration but I believe Kinu's next game-related involvement will be in Culdcept Revolt this summer.

Well then. No idea if we'll hear more about her involvement but it was highlighted as something important in the reveal trailer.

Même Narumi est épatée !

Nobinobita
1593th Post

"Re(1):Re(volt):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Th" , posted Sat 7 May 05:58post reply

quote:

Well then. No idea if we'll hear more about her involvement but it was highlighted as something important in the reveal trailer.

Wow thats awesome news! Thank you so much for sharing that! Did I hear it correctly? The announcer seemed to say that Kinu is doing the character desing as well as the story?

www.art-eater.com

Mosquiton
2152th Post

"Re(2):Re(volt):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Th" , posted Sat 7 May 07:56post reply

quote:

Wow thats awesome news! Thank you so much for sharing that! Did I hear it correctly? The announcer seemed to say that Kinu is doing the character desing as well as the story?

Culdcept deserves the love, and deserves the Kinu as well. At least the main characters will have better haircuts than last time.

/ / /

Iggy
10225th Post

"Re(2):Re(volt):Kinu Nishimura Appreciation Th" , posted Sat 7 May 18:04post reply

quote:
Did I hear it correctly? The announcer seemed to say that Kinu is doing the character desing as well as the story?

Unfortunately no, she only did the designs.
But you might know Nishimura Kinu-san because of her work on the Story...t fighter series.

chazumaru
1683th Post

"Kinu card battle" , posted Wed 11 May 21:03post reply

Here is the link to the Culdcept Direct. Not much said about Kinu but you see a lot of her designs (featuring a sorceress with Kinu-worthy cleavage and a lovable putz named Zonks), and they have increased their efforts on the contents of the scenario / single player part so players will actually have a decent motivation to see them in-game. Once again, enemy characters will become playable pawns ("scepters") in multiplayer after they are beaten. It does not seem Kinu is involved in any card's design, but I guess that would have been weird since her characters represent "real life". On the other hand, her character designs featured prominently on the game's cover.

It seems a pretty big demo of the game will be made available on the (Japanese) eShop today.

(As a general sidenote, I think the Direct does a really good job at showing where and how they improved the game. I don't know if it will be the "FE Awakening" of the Culdcept series but I could see it catch the attention of new players. It certainly pumped me up to try the demo tonight. I have been shit at Culdcept since the Saturn version but I will probably give it one more try, especially if some friends also get into it like we did for Monster Hunter. The contents of the DLC packages also make sense. Also this video shows the promotion of the game is going in the right direction.)

Même Narumi est épatée !

Mosquiton
2158th Post

"Re(1):Kinu card battle" , posted Thu 12 May 03:27:post reply

quote:
Here is the link to the Culdcept Direct. Not much said about Kinu but you see a lot of her designs (featuring a sorceress with Kinu-worthy cleavage and a lovable putz named Zonks), and they have increased their efforts on the contents of the scenario / single player part so players will actually have a decent motivation to see them in-game.

It's impossible to ignore the cleavage, but the color-scheme and face are also quite lovely, in my opinion.

EDIT: Not directly Kinu related, but I see they're adding a card upgrade mechanic as well (seemingly limited to specific "breed" cards), possible microtransactions for customization items via "net shop," and a different way obtain cards to opening "packs." Not completely unexpected, and the series really did need to do something about the way cards were obtained (or not) since it was previously impossible to obtain certain cards without grinding long matches on particular stages. I'm personally hoping for a way to "recycle" cards you don't need, as well.

The game looks pretty good so far, it feels like they're putting a lot of effort into the production overall.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Thu 12 May 04:14]

Maou
3134th Post

"Re(1):Kinu card battle" , posted Thu 12 May 11:45:post reply

Kinu's stuff is perfect, as usual. On principle, I like the clearly Matsumoto Leiji-derived Captain Harlock-esque Saik (Psych? Seich?) at 2:52. Oh, and Clint Eastwood Night Hawk is fantastic, right down to the squint! Almost helps overcome the sort of dismal-looking in-game graphics. I was just complaining about this for Code of Princess, too, come to think of it. Why can't Kinu work for Vanillaware and have her work featured in lavish gorgeous 2D extravaganzas?

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 12 May 11:47]

Maese
805th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Kinu card battle" , posted Thu 12 May 15:54post reply

quote:
Kinu's stuff is perfect, as usual. On principle, I like the clearly Matsumoto Leiji-derived Captain Harlock-esque Saik (Psych? Seich?) at 2:52. Oh, and Clint Eastwood Night Hawk is fantastic, right down to the squint! Almost helps overcome the sort of dismal-looking in-game graphics. I was just complaining about this for Code of Princess, too, come to think of it. Why can't Kinu work for Vanillaware and have her work featured in lavish gorgeous 2D extravaganzas?

Having Kinu様 joining Kamitani's ranks would be too awesome to be true. That would finally close the circle and the old Capcom guard that made the Dungeons & Dragons arcade miracle possible would be reunited again. Somehow, I don't see that happening anytime soon, though...

A Talking about Japanese History sword in hand

Maou
3135th Post

"KAISER PENGUIN" , posted Thu 12 May 16:09:post reply

ye gods

in addition to Kinu's delightful Captain Harlock and Clint Eastwood lookalikes, there is a giant KAISER PENGUIN available in this game

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 12 May 16:10]

chazumaru
1691th Post

"Twitter" , posted Fri 13 May 11:22post reply

You can follow both the official Culdcept twitter as well as Kinu's Twitter to see more of her art (and various artworks such as cards designed by the author of Gunnm). She has been posting a bunch of rough drafts and character illustrations from Culdcept Revolt since the broadcast.

https://twitter.com/3ds_culdcept
https://twitter.com/nishi_katsu

Même Narumi est épatée !

chazumaru
1696th Post

"Famitsu" , posted Thu 19 May 12:12post reply

Yup.

Même Narumi est épatée !

chazumaru
1730th Post

"Culdcept" , posted Wed 22 Jun 07:31post reply

I thought this month's (or rather next month's (so actually the August issue of)) Dengeki Nintendo would be all about Culdcept but it's actually spending almost all its energy on Fire Emblem Cypher (the card game), even giving away some cards as a gift. There are a bunch of pages about Culdcept but they don't feature any new art by Kinu and rather focus on the game's mechanics. Last week's Famitsu (the E3 issue with a lot of Nier Automata inside) did feature a bunch of new characters from the Story Mode. No full frame illustrations unfortunately. There is a new Culdcept Direct tonight June 22nd at 20:00 JST which might also feature new characters.

Même Narumi est épatée !
Lord SNK

220th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Kinucept" , posted Sun 19 Feb 18:02post reply

Culdcept Revolt for 3DS will arrive in the west this summer.
Never played any game in this series, but the Kinu artworks can convince me to buy it.

Mosquiton
2258th Post

"Re(2):Kinucept" , posted Mon 20 Feb 00:56post reply

quote:
Never played any game in this series, but the Kinu artworks can convince me to buy it.

Culdcept is the coolest and dorkiest game you will ever play. Do it.

/ / /

PSN: BadoorSNK(forPSVITA:BadoorUSA)
XBL: BadoorSNK(ForWiiU/Steam:BadoorSNK)
Wii: 3DS:4253-3532-0341
Gold Customer

"Re(2):Kinucept" , posted Mon 20 Feb 02:53post reply

quote:

Exact same feeling. But yeah super glad this one's being localized.

http://100daysofmegashock.wordpress.com/
http://badoorsnk.wordpress.com/
pretzelmotion.com
Lord SNK

221th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Kinucept" , posted Mon 20 Feb 04:33post reply

quote:

The 3DS game will be a good starting point?

Mosquiton
2259th Post

"Re(4):Kinucept" , posted Mon 20 Feb 10:41post reply

quote:

The 3DS game will be a good starting point?

I think it might be. I think you can hold more cards, roll two dice instead of one (less likely to crawl across the board... you can still roll a 1 though), and there are some other changes as well that don't seem like dumbing down but may make the game a little smoother.

So... Maybe!

/ / /
chazumaru
1922th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Captain Kinu" , posted Mon 4 Sep 23:03post reply

IMPORTANT UPDATE. These pages are awesome.

Même Narumi est épatée !
Lord SNK
261th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Captain Kinu" , posted Tue 5 Sep 03:13post reply

quote:

What is that naked-ninja??

chazumaru
1924th Post

"Re(2):Captain Kinu" , posted Tue 5 Sep 09:07post reply

quote:

Wizardry.
quote:
The Ninja can best be described as a class that blends some aspects of the Fighter and Thief classes, but the truth is that the Ninja is a class that significantly differs from either. As a Fighter, a Ninja has a wide choice of weaponry and armor to choose, although because of the unique skills of the Ninja, the use of such is rarely recommended. As the Thief, the Ninja usually has access to lock-picking and trap defusing, but their chances of success are much lower than a pure Thief.However, the unique skills of Ninja tend to over-compensate for the losses acquired by being a "hybrid" class. First of all, the Ninja gains a level reduction of Armor Class when the Ninja wears no armor; while at first this grants the Ninja AC roughly similar to that of a Mage or Priest, eventually they surpass high-AC characters such as the Fighter or the Lord. Second of all, and much as Samurai do, the Ninja may instantly slay an enemy target with a critical hit. The high chance of critical hits dealt by Ninja make the class a highly sought one, despite the usually difficult requirements.

Même Narumi est épatée !
Mosquiton
2311th Post

"Re(1):Captain Kinu" , posted Tue 5 Sep 09:32post reply

quote:

Whoa,she had done a Tactics Ogre illustration???? Holy shit, thank you for the link!

/ / /
nobinobita
1844th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Captain Kinu" , posted Tue 5 Sep 15:02post reply

quote:

Whoa,she had done a Tactics Ogre illustration???? Holy shit, thank you for the link!

Thank you so much! Those illustrations made my day!!

www.art-eater.com

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):Captain Kinu" , posted Tue 5 Sep 23:11post reply

If that's what Wizardry is like I may need to start playing Wizardry.

nobinobita
1845th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Captain Kinu" , posted Wed 6 Sep 02:08post reply

quote:

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land is INCREDIBLY GOOD.

And not just cos of the world class Katsuya Terada art, everything about it is great. The atmosphere, the gameplay (where your squad formation really matters!), the story, the characters. It's a super cool game.

Fun fact: According to Katsuya Terada, when they hired him as the main illustrator, he pretty much had carte blanche to design the characters and world as he pleased. He actually designed the characters first, then they came up with their backstories and the game plot around them. This was a really unique approach that paid off. The mature, creative, idiosyncratic feel of his illustrations trickles down into every aspect of the game. The tone of the game is closer to something like Guin Saga or Howard's Conan stories than a typical RPG. I think this game will be deeply appreciated by a lot of folks at the Cafe!

If this cover fills you with wanderlust, then this is the game for you!

www.art-eater.com
Mosquiton
2314th Post

"Re(5):Captain Kinu" , posted Wed 6 Sep 02:17:post reply

quote:

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land is INCREDIBLY GOOD.

And not just cos of the world class Katsuya Terada art, everything about it is great. The atmosphere, the gameplay (where your squad formation really matters!), the story, the characters. It's a super cool game.

Fun fact: According to Katsuya Terada, when they hired him as the main illustrator, he pretty much had carte blanche to design the characters and world as he pleased. He actually designed the characters first, then they came up with their backstories and the game plot around them. This was a really unique approach that paid off. The mature, creative, idiosyncratic feel of his illustrations trickles down into every aspect of the game. The tone of the game is closer to something like Guin Saga or Howard's Conan stories than a typical RPG. I think this game will be deeply appreciated by a lot of folks at the Cafe!

If this cover fills you with wanderlust, then this is the game for you!

This game is also filled with team combination attacks and complex maps with teleports, pits, and one-way doors. And an orc named Pei-Pei. So yeah, I would highly recommend it to persons of taste.

HOWEVER, I think this illustration may be specifically for Wizardry Online. The characters don't look familiar and to my knowledge there's no Vorpal Bunny (see top right corner) in Tales of the Forsaken Land.

EDIT: Also, about that Tactics Ogre illustration, there's no way she didn't play that game considering how many subtle references to the actual gameplay are in there. It's like the highest possible quality fan art. So awesome.

The only other possibility is that she collaborated extensively with someone intimately familiar with the game, but I really have to imagine it's all her. Kinu is the coolest.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Wed 6 Sep 02:26]

Professor
5203th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Captain Kinu" , posted Wed 6 Sep 16:01:post reply

quote:

Wizardry.
First of all, the Ninja gains a level reduction of Armor Class when the Ninja wears no armor; while at first this grants the Ninja AC roughly similar to that of a Mage or Priest, eventually they surpass high-AC characters such as the Fighter or the Lord. Second of all, and much as Samurai do, the Ninja may instantly slay an enemy target with a critical hit. The high chance of critical hits dealt by Ninja make the class a highly sought one, despite the usually difficult requirements.

In a nutshell:
Back in the original Wizardly game (and probably later titles too), the Ninja oddly enough became stronger when they were naked, no equip. Armor Class (AC) determines the character's defense(evasion) in Wizardry and it's better when it's lower. The Ninja's AC would eventually fall beyond zero when they were butt naked, and they'd become masters at dodging attacks.

Ergo, searching for "Ninja" "Wizardry" on Pixiv would result with a handful of naked Ninja fanart.

Trivia:
Most Japanese players know Wizardry from the Famicom release, but ironically after three decades it was discovered that its AC calculation was actually bugged and lowering it did nothing: the game was looking at the enemy's AC and using them on player characters.

To this day, I still don't know how the Ninja can "slash off the neck" from a slime.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 6 Sep 16:11]

Mosquiton
2316th Post

"Re(4):Captain Kinu" , posted Thu 7 Sep 08:26:post reply

quote:

Wizardry.
First of all, the Ninja gains a level reduction of Armor Class when the Ninja wears no armor; while at first this grants the Ninja AC roughly similar to that of a Mage or Priest, eventually they surpass high-AC characters such as the Fighter or the Lord. Second of all, and much as Samurai do, the Ninja may instantly slay an enemy target with a critical hit. The high chance of critical hits dealt by Ninja make the class a highly sought one, despite the usually difficult requirements.

In a nutshell:
Back in the original Wizardly game (and probably later titles too), the Ninja oddly enough became stronger when they were naked, no equip. Armor Class (AC) determines the character's defense(evasion) in Wizardry and it's better when it's lower. The Ninja's AC would eventually fall beyond zero when they were butt naked, and they'd become masters at dodging attacks.

Ergo, searching for "Ninja" "Wizardry" on Pixiv would result with a handful of naked Ninja fanart.

Trivia:
Most Japanese players know Wizardry from the Famicom release, but ironically after three decades it was discovered that its AC calculation was actually bugged and lowering it did nothing: the game was looking at the enemy's AC and using them on player characters.

To this day, I still don't know how the Ninja can "slash

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Prof, thank you for your illuminating explanation. It seems that clothes can only encumber a perfect instrument of death.

One other comment on Kinu, I guess the illustrations were for a nostalgia column actually written by Kinu about some of her favorite games. Apparently she has excellent taste in games as well as being a fantastically talented artist.

I also happened to stumble upon this unreleased Capcom arcade game she had worked on called War of the Grail. Kind of a Musou/Warriors or Kingdom Under Fire vibe. Pallas Athena looks a little something like the lead in Code of Princess... and some other familiar Kinu design motifs as well.

Like Capcom Fighting All-Stars, I'll just have to hope that a build will leak some day.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Thu 7 Sep 08:27]

chazumaru
1938th Post

"Released Kinu" , posted Fri 6 Oct 09:27post reply

Just a reminder, Culdcept Revolt came out this week in the US and Europe. NISA has released a new trailer. Impressions are rather positive. The US limited edition includes an artbook.

Même Narumi est épatée !
Mosquiton
2342th Post

"Purchased Kinu" , posted Sat 4 Nov 08:39:post reply

Did anyone other than me end up picking this up? I've been enjoying it.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sat 4 Nov 13:56]

chazumaru
1949th Post

"Re(1):Purchased Kinu" , posted Sun 12 Nov 20:19post reply

Are you talking about Culdcept ? I got it and, looking back at the pile of games I already bought in 2017 (and 2016), I fully plan to commit to Culdcept Revolt before the tenth anniversary of the release of the game.

Même Narumi est épatée !
Mosquiton
2342th Post

"Re(2):Purchased Kinu" , posted Mon 13 Nov 11:25post reply

quote:
Are you talking about Culdcept ? I got it and, looking back at the pile of games I already bought in 2017 (and 2016), I fully plan to commit to Culdcept Revolt before the tenth anniversary of the release of the game.

I am talking about Culdcept, as is often the case. Ah well, I suppose having a respectable pile of untouched games is the mark of a cultured professional.

/ / /
Lord SNK
329th Post

Bronze Customer

"Kinu kinu kinu" , posted Mon 31 Dec 00:14post reply

Kinu blessed us with another SF artwork

PSN: BADCP
XBL: BADCP
Wii: BADCP
STM: badcp2016
CFN: BADCP2016
New Customer

"Re(1):Kinu kinu kinu" , posted Mon 25 Feb 06:13post reply

You see, threads like this are why I have always loved this site. Kinu Nishimura has always been my favorite Capcom artist. I even did an article on some of her work before, but I always felt I cannot do her work justice.

R.I.P. Gouki's Page of Whatever
Lord SNK
335th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Kinu kinu kinu" , posted Tue 26 Feb 04:06post reply

You made me remember to reply to this thread, at last I got Culdcept Revolt, but it sits on my backlog pile of games, I'm scheduling it for this summer.

(I don't know, it feel so wrong to have to schedule when to play games, but I can't do much about it)

Mosquiton
2407th Post

"Re(3):Kinu kinu kinu" , posted Tue 26 Feb 09:43post reply

quote:

You see, threads like this are why I have always loved this site. Kinu Nishimura has always been my favorite Capcom artist. I even did an article on some of her work before, but I always felt I cannot do her work justice.

Kinu really brings the personality, she's my personal favorite as well. Where was your article published?

quote:

You made me remember to reply to this thread, at last I got Culdcept Revolt, but it sits on my backlog pile of games, I'm scheduling it for this summer.

Rest easy, you have done your part. The game is not exactly something one can easily dip into, as individual matches are long and it takes a lot of hours to unlock all the cards (there are different "blocks" that are tied to story progression... and that means winning a whole lot of matches.

If you're a Culdcept Fan, though, this is probably the best and most balanced it's ever been.

/ / /

New Customer

"Re(3):Kinu kinu kinu" , posted Tue 26 Feb 11:04post reply

quote:

(I don't know, it feel so wrong to have to schedule when to play games, but I can't do much about it)

Whoa, wait, you schedule when you play games? I thought I was the only one who does that! Actually, nobody understands it, but with as much as there is to play, and with so little time in a day, I actually group what I play by hardware (CPS-II, Neo-Geo, etc.) or engine (UE4, Forge, etc.). There are so many reasons to do so, but I'll wait for your reply...

LOVE SNK, BTW. We should play Metal Slug Attack together!

New Customer

"Re(4):Kinu kinu kinu" , posted Tue 26 Feb 11:17post reply

quote:

Kinu really brings the personality, she's my personal favorite as well. Where was your article published?

It's on my 2013 BADCP site "Loyal To A Fault", and the article is called "Reverb". You can find it in the "List" section with an article description. The portal to get to it all is easily found through a web search for BADCP. I definitely don't want to break any rules on links or anything like that, so I'll leave it at that, hahaha...

I wrote about the Street Fighter II Turbo - Hyper Fighitng art, which is the first of her works I had ever seen and still love. The information in the official artbooks I have seemed to imply that both Nishimura and Bengus did the art I featured together. I have heard through some channels that he came in halfway through or something like that to "help", so to make sure credit was given where credit was due, I mentioned him, as well. The article was due and I had sat on it long enough, so I decided to credit them both! Had to get that love out!

Lord SNK
336th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Kinu kinu kinu" , posted Wed 27 Feb 04:22post reply

quote:

Whoa, wait, you schedule when you play games? I thought I was the only one who does that! Actually, nobody understands it, but with as much as there is to play, and with so little time in a day, I actually group what I play by hardware (CPS-II, Neo-Geo, etc.) or engine (UE4, Forge, etc.). There are so many reasons to do so, but I'll wait for your reply...

My reason is a boring one, the usual "I work a full time job" and I have only max 2 hours during the week to play, some more during the weekends, and a pile of new games and old games I never played that I bought when the corresponding systems were already dead. Coupled with the fact that more than half of these games lasts for more than 60+ hours (I'm looking at you Banpresto/Bandai Namco's SRW series), it doens't make it easy to cut down the backlog.
I wrote a simple "priority" list, and try to alternate long games to short games, and possibly also genres.

neo0r0chiaku
470th Post

PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: N/A
Gold Customer

"Re(5):Kinu kinu kinu" , posted Wed 27 Feb 04:54post reply

quote:

My reason is a boring one, the usual "I work a full time job" and I have only max 2 hours during the week to play, some more during the weekends, and a pile of new games and old games I never played that I bought when the corresponding systems were already dead. Coupled with the fact that more than half of these games lasts for more than 60+ hours (I'm looking at you Banpresto/Bandai Namco's SRW series), it doens't make it easy to cut down the backlog.
I wrote a simple "priority" list, and try to alternate long games to short games, and possibly also genres.

You not lying! Same here. It's gotten to point where I just want to see play through with no commentary of the long games on YouTube (thanks Survival Horror Network). Or even just play the game for one night until morning and done!

Long Live I AM!
Lord SNK
375th Post

Silver Customer

"Kinu Revolt" , posted Mon 19 Aug 06:05post reply

So, I finally managed to play Culdcept Revolt as planned, I completed the main story quest (when I thought I had finished more quests were added, and then more, and more, and more!).

I completed the main story quest in 82 hours, much more than I expected, and I have still something like other 70 challenge quests to do, plenty of content. This is my first game in the series, overall I liked it, at the start I had some sort of PTSD, it remembered me too much the Command Board minigame from Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, but now much more complex and even more luck based.
Sometimes the CPU seems to be able to roll exactly what it needs, sometimes you roll one 1 after another meanwhile the others do full laps of the board, sometimes 2 opposing CPU screw you by avoiding each other and concentrate only on you, sometimes your allied CPU does suicide attacks at the last round just before you were winning throwing away the game, but in the end after I started to have more card options and started to make better decks, the game become much more enjoyable.

What I didnt appreciate about the game:
- the UI is bad, I need information while I play, seeing a resume at the end of a match with all the stats I wanted during play is not good. I don't want to scroll all the map to look and search or count something. Controls aren't much better, but they could have been way worse.

- Kinu artworks are really beautiful but only relegated to character portraits, making it difficult to appreciate full design that went in each of them (I mean, the game doesn't make justice to Hypna at all, we see barely anything). The game could use an art gallery to be unlocked / filled, also if 3DS resolution is so low.

In conclusion, I enjoyed the game, still don't know if I have the patience to do also all the challenges, and I still miss some cards in the album.
(Akiman is listed in the credits, but I saw only 1 card drawn by him, aren't there others?)

Mosquiton
2436th Post

"Re(1):Kinu Revolt" , posted Tue 20 Aug 03:03post reply

quote:
So, I finally managed to play Culdcept Revolt as planned, I completed the main story quest (when I thought I had finished more quests were added, and then more, and more, and more!).

I completed the main story quest in 82 hours, much more than I expected, and I have still something like other 70 challenge quests to do, plenty of content. This is my first game in the series, overall I liked it.... in the end after I started to have more card options and started to make better decks, the game become much more enjoyable.

There really is kind of an obscene amount of content, and so much is unlocked after finishing the main game. I'm a huge fan of the series, but I have already played so much of the past games that I couldn't bring myself to clean my plate here, so to speak.

The UI is a little awkward, as you mentioned, but the game does at least let you check how many lands of each type each player controls. but Culdcept has always kind of been a game where mentally tracking the information is a big part of the challenge (e.g., you can see everyone's hands as they play).

Still, they've streamlined the design in a lot of ways. It's way more user-friendly than it has been in the past, but it does feel like they could do a little more to present information clearly. They could probably use some dynamic text for some of the cards with variable values, for example.

quote:

Kinu artworks are really beautiful but only relegated to character portraits, making it difficult to appreciate full design that went in each of them (I mean, the game doesn't make justice to Hypna at all, we see barely anything). The game could use an art gallery to be unlocked / filled, also if 3DS resolution is so low.

Yeah, I wish Kinu had done a few cards as well. Speaking of seeing more of Hypna, I guess it's true that if you didn't look at the art book, you wouldn't know that her cape scandalously stops about halfway down her ass cheeks. Kinu leaves a note for the cape that reads "Almost covers it, but for some reason doesn't quite make it." I imagine the reason is that they wanted to give their super-complicated card game some straightforward sex appeal.

quote:

In conclusion, I enjoyed the game, still don't know if I have the patience to do also all the challenges, and I still miss some cards in the album.
(Akiman is listed in the credits, but I saw only 1 card drawn by him, aren't there others?)

IIRC the only card Akiman illustrated is "Sword Princess," which is originally featured in Culdcept Saga. There is some great art in here, though. Terada has illustrated multiple cards for the series. I think I'd linked a few of my favorites in another post years back.

Anyway, glad you liked the game. The collectors editions have been selling for super-cheap in NA, so I hope more people get to try it. I wonder how the game did commercially? I always get the feeling when I'm playing a new Culdcept title that it could be the last game in the series.

/ / /
Lord SNK
376th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Kinu Revolt" , posted Tue 20 Aug 03:33post reply

quote:

Still, they've streamlined the design in a lot of ways. It's way more user-friendly than it has been in the past, but it does feel like they could do a little more to present information clearly. They could probably use some dynamic text for some of the cards with variable values, for example.

I don't know if I have the stomach to check how bad it was in previous iterations.
About the dynamic text I'm not sure what you are suggesting, something to avoid pressing that R button to cycle between 3 or 4 different screens about a single card info like it is now?

quote:
IIRC the only card Akiman illustrated is "Sword Princess," which is originally featured in Culdcept Saga. There is some great art in here, though. Terada has illustrated multiple cards for the series. I think I'd linked a few of my favorites in another post years back.

Yes, that's the one, the Sword Princess. I checked earlier posts yesterday before posting my "review"!

quote:
The collectors editions have been selling for super-cheap in NA

I'm in EU and thanks to the magic of the fabulous Region Lock I had to get a plain version, and import from Germany through Amazon as here it was practically impossible to find.
I don't know even if we had at all a Collectors Edition here in EU.

In EU I think it didn't sold very much, and probably very few know that this game exists.

Mosquiton
2438th Post

"Re(3):Kinu Revolt" , posted Tue 20 Aug 05:09:post reply

quote:

About the dynamic text I'm not sure what you are suggesting, something to avoid pressing that R button to cycle between 3 or 4 different screens about a single card info like it is now?

I was thinking that they could display the relevant attack/defense bonuses that would be applied. But I also feel like the game may be a little more unwieldy on a handheld; I can't help but feel things are a bit cramped. I do miss being able to play it on a larger screen.

quote:

I'm in EU and thanks to the magic of the fabulous Region Lock I had to get a plain version, and import from Germany through Amazon as here it was practically impossible to find.
I don't know even if we had at all a Collectors Edition here in EU.

In EU I think it didn't sold very much, and probably very few know that this game exists.

I'm glad you were able to get a hold of the game somehow and enjoy its obscure charm.

This version of the game is almost certainly the most playable and best-balanced version that exists so far, and it carries over so much content from the previous games while still adding new stuff. If they do make another game, I'd like to see them make something of a fresh start.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Tue 20 Aug 05:09]