Lord SNK
610th Post

user profileedit/delete message
Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):City of the Wolves" , posted Mon 18 Mar 18:22post reply

quote:
Gameplay trailer dropped.

I love it! Joe's apprentice is real!

Also the announcement trailer is amazing.
Rev Guard, Rev Blow, Rev Arts, Rev Accel? Can't wait to see what the game system is like.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):City of the Wolves" , posted Tue 19 Mar 01:00post reply

quote:

I love it! Joe's apprentice is real!

Eh, I wish they kept the other design from the leaked spritesheet. Not really a fan of the huge glasses.

Game definitely looks miles better than XV though, except for those particle effects (Buster Wolf explosion was especially underwhelming). The Rev Arts system sounds like SNK taking from SF6's playbook, which keeps the time honored tradition of SNK and Capcom's close rivalry going strong. CVS3 is no longer a pipe dream, just a matter of when.

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):City of the Wolves" , posted Tue 19 Mar 02:59:post reply

Neat! As noted, those super effects certainly need another pass but the characters themselves look and move really well. The tachometer design of the super meter reminds me of the gauge in Wild Ambition, which is the worst thing possible to have brought to mind. Here's to hoping the game doesn't play like that! Hopefully something will be released soon explaining just what is going on in this game and how it is being done.

EDIT: Gameplay video and discussion of the system mechanics

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Tue 19 Mar 04:33]

Red Falcon
6479th Post

PSN: beatolover
XBL: Dead
Wii: Dead
STM: bugrom1067
CFN: rugalbgood

"Re(4):City of the Wolves" , posted Tue 19 Mar 06:59post reply

… at least “neutral REV rush” doesn’t seem to be a thing, lol.

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):City of the Wolves" , posted Tue 19 Mar 07:31:post reply

quote:
Neat! As noted, those super effects certainly need another pass

Do you mean the comic book effect? I figured that is an intentional play off of how Street Fighter used the paint aesthetic with SF6, and previously used the ink aesthetic.

[this message was edited by Baines on Tue 19 Mar 07:35]

Just a Person
2542th Post

"Re(3):City of the Wolves" , posted Tue 19 Mar 08:00post reply

It looks great! Mark of the Wolves was such a fantastic game that releasing a sequel could be a risky move, but judging from this trailer, it seems that SNK is on the right track!

quote:

CVS3 is no longer a pipe dream, just a matter of when.

You think so? That would be amazing, but after SFxTK and MVC Infinite, Capcom doesn't look too eager to work on crossover fighting games. Hopefully SNK can convince them to join forces again, though.

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.

"Re(5):City of the Wolves" , posted Tue 19 Mar 09:38post reply

quote:
Neat! As noted, those super effects certainly need another pass

Do you mean the comic book effect? I figured that is an intentional play off of how Street Fighter used the paint aesthetic with SF6, and previously used the ink aesthetic.

No, I quite like the comic book aesthetic. It is very poppy and it gives the game a distinct look. I was referring to the effects on the supers. For example, the Buster Wolf isn’t selling the velocity and impact of other games. Are you okay Terry?

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):City of the Wolves" , posted Tue 19 Mar 11:20post reply

quote:
No, I quite like the comic book aesthetic. It is very poppy and it gives the game a distinct look. I was referring to the effects on the supers. For example, the Buster Wolf isn’t selling the velocity and impact of other games. Are you okay Terry?

Yeah, I noticed the move effects were a bit underwhelming.

"Re(7):City of the Wolves" , posted Tue 23 Apr 21:44post reply

A game guide has been released prior to the first playable public build. There is a lot going on in this game! Hopefully it will be like SF6, which is also a game that is stuffed full of mechanics but everything fits together and makes sense once you start playing. Still, the idea that feints have been officially integrated into the combo system will never stop being weird to me. Out of all the bizarre mechanics that have come and gone from the FF games, this awkward combo extender that players invented is the thing that stuck around?

"Re(8):City of the Wolves" , posted Tue 23 Apr 23:47post reply

If "Smart Style" is their version of Modern controls, then they're doing a horrible job of selling it. Losing two combo extenders is not worth the 'convenience' this supposedly provides.

Also, parries not having any discernable advantages over Just Defends based on their description is hilarious. Why would I choose the riskier option when I get the same benefits from a JD, which I can also do in midair?

Someone get Justin Wong down there and help them revise this guide, because they're taking all the wrong lessons from SF6 and are in desperate need to course correct.

"Re(9):City of the Wolves" , posted Fri 26 Apr 04:02post reply

quote:
If "Smart Style" is their version of Modern controls, then they're doing a horrible job of selling it. Losing two combo extenders is not worth the 'convenience' this supposedly provides.

Also, parries not having any discernable advantages over Just Defends based on their description is hilarious. Why would I choose the riskier option when I get the same benefits from a JD, which I can also do in midair?

Someone get Justin Wong down there and help them revise this guide, because they're taking all the wrong lessons from SF6 and are in desperate need to course correct.

The fact that there are three different methods for defense in addition to simply holding back is baffling. Do you need to use all these techniques during a match? Can you get vaporized so quickly in this game that you have to be able to stop enemy attacks no matter what? I always think of FF as a series with experimental ideas (different planes, ring outs and so on) but I didn't think the experiments for Garou 2 would be endless defense options.

Red Falcon
6483th Post

"Re(10):City of the Wolves" , posted Sat 27 Apr 15:07post reply

Playing at Evo Japan, game is really fun! Hope Grant, Franco, or Krauser come back so I don’t just end up using Griffon because there’s nobody else, ha ha.

Red Falcon
6484th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):City of the Wolves" , posted Sat 27 Apr 16:01post reply

Anyway, very good first impressions.

Not my video, but:

https://x.com/goziline_staff/status/1784058892861001950?s=46&t=JC6QEQVBbixQBBF4ry-eig