user profileedit/delete message
PSN: SeizyaStarlight
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: n/a
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"'Genjitsu no Yohane'" , posted Sat 18 Nov 12:31post reply

So, Inti Creates has released "Genjitsu no Yoshiko Yohane" yesterday. If you don't know, it's a "Metrovania" game based on the "Love Live Sunshine" spinoff. (I was so close of forgetting about "Love Live", but of all people, the person that got me loving the series is Nanase Aoi-sensei. Also, I don't like using Yoshiko's preferred name at all because 1, she has never won a World Series and World Baseball Classic title like Mr. Greg "Mad Dog" Maddux to warrant being called a nickname, and 2, even if I didn't type that reason, I'll forever think of "Black/Matrix's" necromancer when I hear that name as opposed to the middle school syndrome gal/Aqours "Imas" Ranko clone.) It's on the PS4/PS5/Switch/both X Box series/Steam.

Normally, I'd be okay with such a game. The problem is that I fear for the "Love Live" fans that have never experienced a "Dracula"/"Metroid" game. I'd rather have the game a multi-life/infinite continue one. While I'd be okay with a Wakamoto Norio-san vampire as the final/semi-final boss, I worry that the trait will hurt the newcomers bad.

Only tried the demo. I'll end up buying the game once there's a physical translated version. (You can only import if you want the cart/disc.) Learn to love Lailaps, her partner. You don't get automatic action point refills, darkness points here, as you must get elixirs, and her slash call doesn't use up points. Out of elixirs? Have plenty of HP because that'll get drained afterward.

Hope this report helps if you're on the fence.

Replies:

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):'Genjitsu no Yohane'" , posted Mon 20 Nov 23:59post reply

The design and art direction that some of these small games can get is really impressive. It's certainly a nice improvement from when every indie game had Minecraft pseudo-pixel style designs.

How is the length of the game? Some of these Metroidvania games look good but end up being really short.

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):'Genjitsu no Yohane'" , posted Tue 21 Nov 09:23post reply

quote:
How is the length of the game? Some of these Metroidvania games look good but end up being really short.

Several of the positive Steam reviews say it is short, and there is a 100% walkthrough video on YouTube that is under 5 hours.

Steam reviews are "Very Positive", but I honestly don't know how to take that. Inti Creates has a devoted fan base that will rate even mediocre games highly, there is another fan base that will do the same due to the great pixel art, and the Love Live fan base might do similar.