PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Fighting Game Thread 2023" , posted Mon 23 Jan 00:30post reply

New year, new thread!

Granblue Fantasy: Versus is getting a sequel. I guess the franchise itself is still doing well, since the initial Versus game was so hobbled by the initial outbreak of COVID-19 that it never found a long-term audience as a fighting game. Good to see it getting another chance.

More importantly, the game now features the game within a game, Grand Bruise Legends. Chibi versions of the characters will compete in adorable Fall Guys style battles. This mode will not only help the game sell 10 million copies, but it will become the tournament standard instead of that silly fighting mode.

Replies:
Just a Person
2459th Post

user profileedit/delete message

"Re(1):Fighting Game Thread 2023" , posted Tue 24 Jan 21:07post reply

quote:
New year, new thread!

Granblue Fantasy: Versus is getting a sequel. I guess the franchise itself is still doing well, since the initial Versus game was so hobbled by the initial outbreak of COVID-19 that it never found a long-term audience as a fighting game. Good to see it getting another chance.

More importantly, the game now features the game within a game, Grand Bruise Legends. Chibi versions of the characters will compete in adorable Fall Guys style battles. This mode will not only help the game sell 10 million copies, but it will become the tournament standard instead of that silly fighting mode.

Whoa, this Grand Bruise Legends mode looks very fun! If the fighting game itself isn't enough incentive for buying the sequel, this mode definitely is!

Arc System Works seems to be establishing itself as the main developer to deliver good fighting games with third-party licenses, isn't it? Granblue Fantasy: Versus, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Persona 4 Arena... hopefully all this extra work won't make them forget to make a new Guilty Gear or BlazBlue game from time to time, though (then again, I think GG Strive still has two DLC characters to be announced and delivered, so it seems they are still taking good care of their own franchises).

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Fighting Game Thread 2023" , posted Wed 25 Jan 04:59post reply

quote:
Arc System Works seems to be establishing itself as the main developer to deliver good fighting games with third-party licenses, isn't it? Granblue Fantasy: Versus, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Persona 4 Arena... hopefully all this extra work won't make them forget to make a new Guilty Gear or BlazBlue game from time to time, though (then again, I think GG Strive still has two DLC characters to be announced and delivered, so it seems they are still taking good care of their own franchises).

One shouldn't forget that Arc System Works also delivered the bare bones DNF Duel and the even more disappointing Kill la Kill IF.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(3):Fighting Game Thread 2023" , posted Wed 25 Jan 06:23post reply

quote:
One shouldn't forget that Arc System Works also delivered the bare bones DNF Duel and the even more disappointing Kill la Kill IF.

Sadly true! I guess it all comes down to the resources allotted to each invididual title's "fiefdom." The attention and resources eventually given to SFV contrast a lot with...what was it called again? Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite??

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...
Just a Person
2460th Post

"Re(3):Fighting Game Thread 2023" , posted Wed 25 Jan 07:21post reply

quote:

Oh well... then again, it's not as if other notorious fighting game developers hadn't delivered some pretty bad games themselves, sometimes having even more resources for the development (I'm looking at you, Capcom, SNK and Bamco).

"Re(3):Fighting Game Thread 2023" , posted Wed 25 Jan 23:54post reply

quote:

I think the worst part about these games is that they were not only undercooked but were rather plain and never reached the heights of Basara X or Hokuto no Ken. Making a bad game is one thing, but don't make a boring game!

Red Falcon
6429th Post

PSN: beatolover
XBL: Dead
Wii: Dead
STM: bugrom1067
CFN: rugalbgood

"Re(1):Fighting Game Thread 2023" , posted Thu 26 Jan 09:12post reply

quote:
New year, new thread!

Is it perhaps time for a 2023 inaugural lagfest??!!!?

(probably not, but hey, worth a shot! w)

Just a Person
2462th Post

"Here Comes a New JOJO Challenger!" , posted Mon 30 Jan 21:04:post reply

Rudol von Stroheim is the second DLC character.

The trailer seems to indicate that there are two more characters to complete the roster (that is, assuming Bamco doesn't decide to do a Season 2 - but considering this game's age, I doubt they will). Personally, I'd like to see Yasuho and Wonder of U and its user (I won't put the name of the user because I'm not sure if everyone here already knows the identity and that's a major mystery in JoJolion that I don't want to spoil for those that don't know), just so that each Part of JJBA would have its protagonist, deuteragonist and main antagonist in the roster (remembering that no, Joshu is not JoJolion's deuteragonist).

But at the same time, I'm already very satisfied that FF and Risotto were added to the game, so at this point, Bamco can choose the worst possible characters and that's okay for me.

EDIT: another cool possibility would be to add one of DIO's sons from Stone Ocean... with the other two sons acting as his assists (like Pesci to Prosciutto), so that they could meet their father and their fourth brother Giorno in-game. Then again, that wouldn't make much sense, as the three brothers aren't close partners like Prosciutto and Pesci, and if I remember correctly they don't even care about (and barely know) each other.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Tue 31 Jan 02:17]

Platinum Carpet V.I.P Requiem

"Re(1):Here Comes a New JOJO Challenger!" , posted Thu 2 Feb 03:47post reply

Ah! I had started to forget about the game. You really can't release a game with such netcode in 2022... Even on the Japanese side, things have been quiet since the release of Weather. I've seen some people talking about datamined characters, but they don't seem particularly reliable or consistent (I've seen Fungami Yuya's name from part 4 being thrown around as the second DLC character, which evidently isn't the case).
I also forgot Weather was outside of the season pass! That's strangely nice of Bamco, but welcome if that allows for two more characters. I haven't checked yet if Stroheim comes with a balance pass that would reign in the most powerful characters such as Narancia or F.F., although maybe the game doesn't have a strong enough player base to determine exactly what kind of balance adjustments should be made?

As for Stroheim: good for him! I don't care at all about the character, but he has the potential for some really unique moves, and also the voice actor is having the time of his life and his enthusiasm is contagious.

"Re(2):Here Comes a New Blonde Challenger!" , posted Mon 6 Feb 23:59post reply

Nina Williams and many, many different auras and hit effects are coming to Tekken 8.

Nina and her awful outfits have never been a favorite of mine so this trailer didn't thrill me too much. At least the fight is taking place in a public restroom that blew up, so I'm glad that perennial fight location is back for another generation.

The new mechanics for Tekken seem really aggressive. I know they haven't revealed anything about defense or movement, but the idea that one of your active attack meters goes up when you are pummeling your opponent makes it feel like this game is all about pushing forward.

But whatever the new defense and neutral are, I just hope the way the characters move around the screen looks better this time out. The wavedashing that Tekken characters do to maximize movement looks terrible and is far too complex a movement just for getting your character around the screen. Hopefully the Tekken producers have been thinking about how the characters move during footsies the way SF6 has so the Tekken cast no longer has to awkwardly shuffle about.

Just a Person
2464th Post

"Guilty of delaying new releases" , posted Fri 10 Feb 21:33:post reply

It seems there will be a short delay in the release of the next DLC character and stage for Guilty Gear Strive.

That makes me wonder... who could the final two DLC fighters be? I suppose A.B.A. would be a nice choice, due both to her interesting playstyle and to give her story some closure. Then again, there are other possibilities, like Dizzy, Johnny, Slayer (all three of them being fan-favorite characters), Elphelt (so that all the Valentine sisters are together once again) or President Gabriel (he was already shown as a great fighter but was never playable before). Some people are also betting on Delilah; personally, I wouldn't choose her, but Bedman was interesting in Xrd, so maybe she could be interesting, too.

Also, I wonder if, after the final two DLC characters are released (and in the case that Arc System Works decides not to make a Season 3), there will be an extra Story Mode chapter focused on Testament, Bridget and these two DLC fighters, just like they did with Baiken's chapter. Even though, in my opinion, Strive's story (both the main one and the Extra chapter) feels quite underwhelming when compared to Xrd's and its two upgraded re-releases.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Sun 12 Feb 05:54]

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
STM: 29347508
CFN: Gojira

"Re(1):Here Comes a New JOJO Challenger!" , posted Tue 7 Mar 17:02post reply

I seriously can't believe this is real.

When I dropped this as my obscure pick for the game like a year ago, I figured it had absolutely no chance of coming true. I mean, I was sincere but... is there anyone, anywhere, in the entire Jojo fandom that even thought to ask for this character besides me?

I feel like I'm in a dream here. This is freaking wild.

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(2):Here Comes a New JOJO Challenger!" , posted Tue 7 Mar 19:48post reply

quote:

When I dropped this as my obscure pick for the game like a year ago, I figured it had absolutely no chance of coming true. I mean, I was sincere but... is there anyone, anywhere, in the entire Jojo fandom that even thought to ask for this character besides me?

Oh wow! That's a great addition!
I always wanted to see what they could do with him, since they managed to do Shigecchi and I'd expect them to face the same design issues.
Also, more new characters while there are still people to port from EOH means the chances for a season 2 are still there somewhere.

And also, yeah, if Keichô is on the table, the wish lists can REALLY expand to even more obscure picks! Bring in Erina Joestar and that weird stone-dog that appears for 2 panels in part 8!

Just a Person
2467th Post

"Re(3):Here Comes a New JOJO Challenger!" , posted Wed 8 Mar 04:51post reply

quote:

Oh wow! That's a great addition!
I always wanted to see what they could do with him, since they managed to do Shigecchi and I'd expect them to face the same design issues.
Also, more new characters while there are still people to port from EOH means the chances for a season 2 are still there somewhere.

And also, yeah, if Keichô is on the table, the wish lists can REALLY expand to even more obscure picks! Bring in Erina Joestar and that weird stone-dog that appears for 2 panels in part 8!

He had a cool power, but died quite early (and it's odd how Okuyasu pretty much forgets him afterwards, only remembering him when Akira reveals himself).

Personally, I wouldn't choose Keichô, as Part 4 already has a large number of characters in the game in comparison to Parts 1-2 and 6-8. But he looks cool, so I'm not going to complain about his inclusion, either.

As for obscure characters that could/should be included... I guess I'd choose Part 3's Midler with that design she had in the Capcom game (yes, I know I'm being a hypocrite for saying that I wouldn't choose Keichô because Part 4 already has many characters when Part 3 also has lots of characters in this game). Part 2's Santana would be nice, too. Or that duo of deceased heroes that Dio resurrected as his slaves in Part 1 (fighting as a single character, like Prosciutto & Pesci).

"Re(4):Here Comes a New JOJO Challenger!" , posted Wed 8 Mar 20:17post reply

quote:
As for obscure characters that could/should be included... I guess I'd choose Part 3's Midler with that design she had in the Capcom game
I'd be cool with bringing back everyone from the Capcom game with their cool movesets to be honest. But then the people clamoring for more part 6/7/8 would go ballistic I guess.

Honestly the game is still fun to mess around offline and the new characters have been fun and well realized (except Ghiacco, I really don't get what you're supposed to do with him), so they could add anyone and I'd gladly boot the game again for a week.

Just a Person
2469th Post

"Re(5):Here Comes a New JOJO Challenger!" , posted Thu 9 Mar 21:47post reply

quote:
As for obscure characters that could/should be included... I guess I'd choose Part 3's Midler with that design she had in the Capcom game I'd be cool with bringing back everyone from the Capcom game with their cool movesets to be honest. But then the people clamoring for more part 6/7/8 would go ballistic I guess.

Honestly the game is still fun to mess around offline and the new characters have been fun and well realized (except Ghiacco, I really don't get what you're supposed to do with him), so they could add anyone and I'd gladly boot the game again for a week.

Aren't most of them already included in ASBR, anyway?

In Midler's case, it would be a way to solidify her Capcom version as her "canon" appearance (it's still shocking that the anime developers didn't use that design for her, considering that Araki himself designed it).

Anyway, pretty much all my favorite JJBA characters are already in this game; after Risotto's inclusion, the final DLC character could even be Joshu or Part 6's Jotaro (or Gappy's sister who looks pretty much like a female Jotaro) that I wouldn't mind.

"Re(6):Here Comes a New JOJO Challenger!" , posted Fri 10 Mar 00:43post reply

quote:

Well, Debo, Midler, Alesy and all 3 versions of Anubis had different and interesting move sets.
Yellow Temperance wasn't particularly interesting, but I guess there's a way to make it interesting? Maybe?

Midler, Debo, Chaka-Anubis and Polnaref-Anubis at least would be cool additions. But many people would be very upset if we had a season 2 that was full-part 3 (adding N'dour for good measure!).

More reasonnably, if you count Weather in the first season pass, and the last character is from part 1/3/7/8, it would be a good and varied package after Risotto (5), Weather (6), Stroheim (2) and Keichô (4).
Season 2 could be a similar wide spread with characters from 3, 5, 7 and 9 for example.

Just a Person
2470th Post

"Re(7):Here Comes a New JOJO Challenger!" , posted Fri 10 Mar 01:38post reply

quote:
Well, Debo, Midler, Alesy and all 3 versions of Anubis had different and interesting move sets.
Yellow Temperance wasn't particularly interesting, but I guess there's a way to make it interesting? Maybe?

Midler, Debo, Chaka-Anubis and Polnaref-Anubis at least would be cool additions. But many people would be very upset if we had a season 2 that was full-part 3 (adding N'dour for good measure!).

More reasonnably, if you count Weather in the first season pass, and the last character is from part 1/3/7/8, it would be a good and varied package after Risotto (5), Weather (6), Stroheim (2) and Keichô (4).
Season 2 could be a similar wide spread with characters from 3, 5, 7 and 9 for example.

That would be great. But is there any chance for this game to get a Season 2?

Just a Person
2471th Post

"GG Strive news" , posted Mon 13 Mar 07:12post reply

Okay, so the next DLC character is... Bedman?

Other than that, there are indications that "That Man" will be the final DLC character... of Season 2. Because yes, there will be a Season 3. That means, more chances for A.B.A. to be rejected in favor of other characters.

While I'm not very well-versed in the Guilty Gear series, it's nice to see Arc System Works is still supporting it. Once Strive is over (which fortunately won't be happening until 2024 - or even later, in case it gets a Season 4), I wonder what the next step will be... Guilty Gear vs. BlazBlue, perhaps?

(...nah, their mechanics probably wouldn't mesh well together)

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):GG Strive news" , posted Mon 13 Mar 09:13post reply

quote:
While I'm not very well-versed in the Guilty Gear series, it's nice to see Arc System Works is still supporting it. Once Strive is over (which fortunately won't be happening until 2024 - or even later, in case it gets a Season 4), I wonder what the next step will be... Guilty Gear vs. BlazBlue, perhaps?

I'm wondering where a new Guilty Gear would go, as the Strive has continued to write characters to "happy" endings. Even though characters' stories can of course be continued and expanded, Strive would honestly be a pretty natural end to the series.

"Re(2):GG Strive news" , posted Mon 13 Mar 12:10post reply

quote:
I'm wondering where a new Guilty Gear would go, as the Strive has continued to write characters to "happy" endings. Even though characters' stories can of course be continued and expanded, Strive would honestly be a pretty natural end to the series.

“Heihachi Mishima…IS DEAD.”

Or barring the perpetual undoings/redoings, I guess there’s always the SF route of crowding in multiple sequels before the “finale” entry’s story! Although Strive probably actually has an interesting story to serve as its series’ bookend, unlikely the haplessly irrelevant and boring SFIII finale scenario that Capcom finally figured out how to ignore, two decades later!

"Re(2):GG Strive news" , posted Mon 13 Mar 20:43post reply

First, I adore the name. It's not "Delilah", it's not "Bedman Mk2", it's "Bedman?" and I'm here for the GG insanity.
quote:

I feel that there is a real possibility Strive was supposed to be the last of the series, or the last of the era at least, with a major change in cast both as characters and as developers for the next one. As you say, the fact most long-standing narrative arcs get resolved all in one go feels pretty definitive.
But again, as Maou says, nothing prevents them from creating a new threat coming out of nowhere and characters are forced out of retirement.

Also, I wonder how much the unexpected success of the game (compared to previous GGs) changed their plans. For a long time, GG was more or less their company card to get some contractor job with other people's properties, and even though they finally made it big with DBF, Strive's success on their 100% owned IP must have given them more to think about, if only to consider supporting Strive longer than initially planned.
All in all, a happy problem to have for everyone involved!

Just a Person
2473th Post

"Re(3):GG Strive news" , posted Mon 13 Mar 23:00:post reply

quote:
“Heihachi Mishima…IS DEAD.”

Or barring the perpetual undoings/redoings, I guess there’s always the SF route of crowding in multiple sequels before the “finale” entry’s story! Although Strive probably actually has an interesting story to serve as its series’ bookend, unlikely the haplessly irrelevant and boring SFIII finale scenario that Capcom finally figured out how to ignore, two decades later!

Or ASW can make a dream-match GG game.

It wouldn't be the first time; BlazBlue's story was pretty much concluded in Central Fiction (if I remember correctly, only the Clover family storyline was left unresolved), but that didn't stop them from making Cross Tag Battle.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Tue 14 Mar 01:36]

"Re(4):GG Strive news" , posted Tue 14 Mar 22:19post reply

Normally I'm fine with non-humanoid characters, but I've always found Bedman to be an eyesore. Whenever I watch Bedman in a match - or, worse, try to fight it - I find the thing to be a jumble of pieces that don't look like anything and don't flow together. So while I'm happy for the fans of the character this upgraded Bedman? didn't make me want to run out and buy the DLC.

I'm curious to see what Asuka is like as a playable character. When the face of "That Man" was finally revealed he looked really dopey, so hopefully his moves will make him more interesting.

Red Falcon
6434th Post

"Re(5):GG Strive news" , posted Thu 16 Mar 17:29post reply

quote:
upgraded Bedman?
Hopefully downgraded, didn’t see a single afterimage in the trailer.

"MultiVersus" , posted Tue 28 Mar 03:07post reply

MultiVersus leaves beta, goes straight into grave.

They say they are coming back at some undetermined point in the future but odds are they are going to ghost everyone and eventually disappear.

Just a Person
2473th Post

"Black Dahlia joins Skullgirls 2nd Encore" , posted Fri 31 Mar 22:13post reply

And she looks quite good!

It's sad that the story cutscenes for the new characters aren't voiced like the ones for the old ones, and while I like Dahlia, there were other characters that I'd prefer to see added to the game over her and Umbrella (like Brain Drain, Prof. Isaac and the three goddesses worshipped by Double) - but, considering all the issues and fights involving the creator and developers of Skullgirls, I guess we should be glad that it's even getting new content at all.

"Re(1):Black Dahlia joins Skullgirls 2nd Encor" , posted Fri 31 Mar 23:36:post reply

quote:
And she looks quite good!
considering all the issues and fights involving the creator and developers of Skullgirls, I guess we should be glad that it's even getting new content at all.

That is very cool! Here from my seat in the New Meridian branch of the Madman's Cafe, I admire how spunky Skullgirls and its wonderful animators have soldiered on over the years. Like with the baffling split of farm sim Bokujou Monogatari abroad into two competing sims, Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons, I have no idea who owns it and how as an artistic production it is still continuing, but would sure be interested to learn more! Either way, it is lovely to look at and has the unique honor of being the only American-made fighting game to ever make it to Japan in any serious way (the nearly-forgotten mini-release of 16-bit MK does not count).

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 1 Apr 04:21]

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Black Dahlia joins Skullgirls 2nd Encor" , posted Sat 1 Apr 22:43post reply

quote:
considering all the issues and fights involving the creator and developers of Skullgirls, I guess we should be glad that it's even getting new content at all.

I do wonder if there is a future for the franchise.

While they call it Season 1 Pass, with the obvious implication being that there is at least the idea of the possibility of a Season 2. It's had "Encore" and "2nd Encore" releases, but the base game will be 11 years old this month. That is a long time for a series to go without a legitimate sequel. At the same time, is there a combination of an IP owner, designers, and coders that both desire and have the ability to create a sequel that wouldn't ultimately be considered a disappointment in some fashion or another?

Okay, Virtua Fighter 5 is approaching its 17th anniversary, but that arguably is an example of the issue at hand. VF5 has seen long periods of no visible support by Sega, while occasionally getting recycled and re-released because Sega wants to keep making money from fans but seemingly have no interest in actually continuing the series.

"Re(2):Black Dahlia joins Skullgirls 2nd Encor" , posted Mon 3 Apr 01:31post reply

She looks pretty good but as long as it has been since her reveal, I honestly thought Black Dahlia was already in the game. That's not a criticism of Skullgirls, since the game is unique in how it is being produced. As an indie fighter it's certainly doing better than Divekick or that bizarre game that featured combat cows.

Neo0r0chiaku
648th Post

PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: N/A
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Regular Member

"New Goketsuji/Power Instinct in the making?" , posted Sun 9 Apr 12:42post reply

Noise Factory Twitter

Long Live I AM!
Just a Person
2476th Post

"Re(1):New Goketsuji/Power Instinct in the mak" , posted Sun 9 Apr 21:47post reply

quote:
Noise Factory Twitter

Let’s hope so!!

Red Falcon
6435th Post

"Re(2):New Goketsuji/Power Instinct in the mak" , posted Wed 12 Apr 12:29post reply

quote:

Let’s hope so!!

I bet it will just be a collection.

Just a Person
2477th Post

"Re(3):New Goketsuji/Power Instinct in the mak" , posted Wed 12 Apr 21:52post reply

quote:

Let’s hope so!!

Hey, as long as it includes Groove on Fight (hopefully translated), that works for me!

Mosquiton
2518th Post

"Re(4):New Goketsuji/Power Instinct in the mak" , posted Fri 14 Apr 03:39:post reply

quote:

Let’s hope so!!

Hey, as long as it includes Groove on Fight (hopefully translated), that works for me!

FINALLY a suitable game for true evil-heads to play after football practice!
MESSATSU

Edit: Not sure why I posted this, I seem to have suffered some kind of psychic attack...

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Fri 14 Apr 03:40]

Red Falcon
6436th Post

"Re(5):New Goketsuji/Power Instinct in the mak" , posted Sat 15 Apr 16:17post reply

quote:
FINALLY a suitable game for true evil-heads to play after football practice!
MESSATSU

Edit: Not sure why I posted this, I seem to have suffered some kind of psychic attack...

Looks like we need to get a paranormal investigator in here. Was the football camp cursed…? That would explain a lot.

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):New Goketsuji/Power Instinct in the mak" , posted Thu 11 May 03:39post reply

quote:
Noise Factory Twitter

Now this is much more my kind of fighting game than SFVI! Too bad it's all unconfirmed info for the time being!

(secret information that I'll impart only to the Cafe: my FAQ for Power Instinct 2 is still out there on gamefaqs, last updated in 1999 >>cringe<<)

Hey everybody, it has been quite some time! Hope you're all doing well!

You have to carefully reproduce the world of "Castlevania" in the solemn atmosphere.

"Re(2):New Goketsuji/Power Instinct in the mak" , posted Thu 11 May 23:30post reply

quote:

(secret information that I'll impart only to the Cafe: my FAQ for Power Instinct 2 is still out there on gamefaqs, last updated in 1999 >>cringe<<)

For which I'm eternally grateful! Finding information about even slightly older games is difficult in the always changing world of the internet. Too much fighting game knowledge is either buried in some obscure members-only Discord or is being incinerated as Twitter burns up in a blaze of fascist stupidity. FAQs filled with ASCII art or formatted to be printed out on dot matrix printers are the best method we have for passing on this information to future generations.

"R# Kombat" , posted Thu 18 May 23:45post reply

Asuka coming to GG:Strive. I guess that silly little pinwheel thing on his face is for meter management.

Mortal Kombat is coming later this year. As expected, everyone explodes in CGI. What was not expected is there's something called kameo fighters. Will this be a striker system or something like Noob/Smoke? Either way, it should be a mess so I'm looking forward to it.

Also of note, a surprisingly robust 30th anniversary MK page has also opened. Having a playthrough for every character of every game they are in is impressive. Hopefully someone was paid well to play through MK4 again and again.

"Re(1):R# Kombat" , posted Fri 19 May 00:45post reply

quote:
Having a playthrough for every character of every game they are in is impressive. Hopefully someone was paid well to play through MK4 again and again.

Ha! But wait, wait, who will be responsible for playing through Mortal Kombat…Mythologies…? An action RPG featuring Sub-Zero?? I’m pretty sure I didn’t just see this in a strange dream but actually saw a preview in a US magazine as a kid?

Just a Person
2481th Post

"Re(2):R# Kombat" , posted Fri 19 May 09:11post reply

So, Mortal Kombat is being rebooted... again. Let's see how many games Boon's team will release until the next reboot.

Considering the choice at the end of MK11's Aftermath story, I'm disappointed that NRS went with the easier solution of following Liu Kang's ending instead of Shang Tsung's. Or, considering how MKX and MK11 were so focused on each kombatant having different "variations", they could even have both endings being canon, with the timeline being split in two during their battle and leading to different worlds fighting for supremacy over the other. Oh well.

And the gore is as graphic as ever, it seems. Lovely; I guess I may skip this one.

quote:
Ha! But wait, wait, who will be responsible for playing through Mortal Kombat…Mythologies…? An action RPG featuring Sub-Zero?? I’m pretty sure I didn’t just see this in a strange dream but actually saw a preview in a US magazine as a kid?

The sad thing is, Mythologies isn't even the worst MK game. That distinction goes to PS1's Mortal Kombat Special Forces. Jax is one of my favorite MK kombatants, but even he couldn't save that awful excuse for a video game.

"Re(3):R# Kombat" , posted Fri 19 May 18:29:post reply

quote:
Considering the choice at the end of MK11's Aftermath story, I'm disappointed that NRS went with the easier solution of following Liu Kang's ending instead of Shang Tsung's. Or, considering how MKX and MK11 were so focused on each kombatant having different "variations", they could even have both endings being canon, with the timeline being split in two during their battle and leading to different worlds fighting for supremacy over the other. Oh well.
My understanding is that it's exactly that: both endings happened, so both universes exist and it's going to be one universe against the other.
I'm curious about their concept of "Kameo". I understand it's a way of adding more obscure characters without making a full-fleged one (like Smash's assist trophies) and also of course adding more DLC. Will they be unplayable strikers like MvC1/KOF2000? It's a strange decision to take the series towards. Maybe also a way to add more guest characters where the rights owners don't want to see their character evicerated? So you could have Batman or Sarah Michelle Gellar in the game doing brutal stuff, but no violent murder and not being brutally murdered?

Anyway, back to ArcSys: I'm glad someone heard all the complaints about the game being too normal and the characters being too simplistic by ArcSys standards, because Asuka is totally insane. I barely have enough brain cells to play Leo, but I look forward for the craziness in tournaments.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Sat 20 May 18:48]

Just a Person
2482th Post

"Re(4):R# Kombat" , posted Fri 19 May 21:59post reply

quote:
My understanding is that it's exactly that: both endings happened, so both universes exist and it's going to be one universe against the other.

I hope you're right.

quote:
I'm curious about their concept of "Kameo". I understand it's a way of adding more obscure characters without making a full-fleged one (like Smash's assist trophies) and also of course adding more DLC. Will they be unplayable strikers like MvC1/KOF2000? It's a strange decision to take the series towards. Maybe also a way to add more guest characters where the rights owners don't want to see their character evicerated? So you could have Batman or Sarah Michelle Gellar in the game doing brutal stuff, but no violent murder and not being brutally murdered?

Honestly, this system is the part that least interested me. I'm not saying that it's going to be bad or anything, but I don't see it really fitting with MK's identity, nor sticking for more than one game (just like MK9's tag battles; they were actually decent, but the MK audience quickly grew bored with them and then MKX dropped the tag system).

The only advantage I can see for "Kameo", at least for now, is the possibility of bringing obscure MK characters like Moloch, Nitara or Havik and thus pleasing the (few) people who like them, without having to dedicate time and effort to develop them as full-fledged kombatants.

quote:
Anyway, back to ArcSys: I'm glad someone heard all the complaints about the game being too normal and the characters being too simplistic by ArcSys standards, because [url=Considering the choice at the end of MK11's Aftermath story, I'm disappointed that NRS went with the easier solution of following Liu Kang's ending instead of Shang Tsung's. Or, considering how MKX and MK11 were so focused on each kombatant having different "variations", they could even have both endings being canon, with the timeline being split in two during their battle and leading to different worlds fighting for supremacy over the other. Oh well.]Asuka is totally insane. I barely have enough brain cells to play Leo, but I look forward for the craziness in tournaments.

Yes, while I'm not a GG fan, Asuka looks very interesting. It seems that all the years people waited for him to become a playable fighter were worth it, after all.

Just a Person
2483th Post

"Re(5):R# Kombat" , posted Mon 22 May 23:25post reply

Apparently Amazon Italy accidentally (or not) leaked the characters (or "kombatants" and "kameos") for the Kombat Pack 1 DLC.

I'm not very interested in the guest fighters (despite being a huge fan of the TV live-action series that one of them comes from), nor in most of the characters announced. That said, there are two things that caught my attention in the list of DLC Kameos:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
The first one is the fact that MKX's Ferra is listed as one of the DLC Kameos. Not "Ferra/Torr", just "Ferra". That makes me wonder if Torr will be present in MK1 either as a playable character (which I don't think would be the best choice) or as a sub-boss (a role that I think suits him much better).

The second thing is that Johnny Cage is listed as a DLC Kameo - but he's already confirmed as a playable kombatant. His "Kameo" version could be just a joke, like him appearing dressed in his MKX Mime outfit, but it could also mean that the "Kameo Johnny Cage" is a different character altogether and that Iggy's prediction of MK1 involving a war between two timelines could be right on the mark, with "Kameo Cage" being the Johnny Cage from Shang Tsung's timeline (who may be dead in the story but still appearing in the other game modes, like Dick Grayson in Injustice 1 or The Joker in Injustice 2). I really hope that's the case.

End of Spoiler

"Re(6):R# Kombat" , posted Tue 23 May 19:23post reply

I guess we'll know for sure when they show the actual game this week, but my feeling is that they're trying to be very clear that the kameo situation is different from the assist trophy situation from Smash, i.e. a character being chosen doesn't "deconfirms" it from being made playable later. If a popular character is only a kameo in the base game, it's going to be a tease "make some noise so we add him as a DLC later" rather than "this character won't be playable". With how reactive some part of the MK community are, it's probably a good choice (plus it can drive engagement and create free marketing).

"Re(7):R# Kombat" , posted Wed 24 May 01:08post reply

This reminds me: Iggy, how is MK perceived in Europe? ...is it...even sold in Europe? Obviously it's a very "American" game which is totally unknown and unsellable in Japan today, but I'm curious about its global reach, in between the extreme violence and the "confused American view of Asia" aesthetic, that could either be fun (as it was to the vanishingly small number of Japanese players during the series' verrrry brief history there) or too strange to appeal.

"Re(8):R# Kombat" , posted Thu 25 May 04:06post reply

quote:
This reminds me: Iggy, how is MK perceived in Europe? ...is it...even sold in Europe? Obviously it's a very "American" game which is totally unknown and unsellable in Japan today, but I'm curious about its global reach, in between the extreme violence and the "confused American view of Asia" aesthetic, that could either be fun (as it was to the vanishingly small number of Japanese players during the series' verrrry brief history there) or too strange to appeal.

I can't talk for all of Europe, but I can say that at least in Western Europe it's sold and is fairly well known. MK1 on Megadrive and MK2 on SFC were very successful, some fringe parents association probably cluched their pearls but no one really cared, and I remember seing it in arcades up to MK4.

So, it exists, but from what I remember from recent sales number, the overwhelming majority of modern MK sales are in North America, so I can't vouch on the overall popularity with modern European people. Tekken dwarfs it for sure, and Street Fighter or DBF sell more also.
There's also the issue that the other half of their production is Injustice, and DC comics, while known, really doesn't have the same appeal in Europe as the MCU, and I think I remember it selling far less than MK here [citation needed].

Just a Person
2486th Post

"And the final JJBA:ASBR DLC character is..." , posted Thu 1 Jun 09:48:post reply

...Part 7's Alternate World Diego Brando.

As weird as it may sound, considering that this is basically Diego with a different Stand, I actually liked this choice.

Now the question is whether there will be more content added to the game after Alt. Diego, or if there will be another JoJo game (not necessarily a fighting game) more focused on the new universe (Parts 7-9, although Part 9 has just started), or if this is the last news involving JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in video games for a long time.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Thu 1 Jun 09:49]

"Re(1):And the final JJBA:ASBR DLC character i" , posted Thu 1 Jun 18:19post reply

quote:
...Part 7's Alternate World Diego Brando.

As weird as it may sound, considering that this is basically Diego with a different Stand, I actually liked this choice.

Now the question is whether there will be more content added to the game after Alt. Diego, or if there will be another JoJo game (not necessarily a fighting game) more focused on the new universe (Parts 7-9, although Part 9 has just started), or if this is the last news involving JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in video games for a long time.

It's a weak last character after a very strong DLC pack (I mean, anything with Risotto would be strong, but Keichô was such a nice surprise!). 2 new characters, 2 recycled EOH characters is not bad, all things considered!

They're already teasing some news for next week, so I guess the chances of a season 2 are high? N'dour and Joshu are still recyclable, and Abbacchio and Yotsuyu had 3D models but were unused so there's definitely material to start with. And as Keichô showed, anything is possible really.

All in all, Jojo is an evergreen franchise, so as long as Araki is working, we'll have games to come! Good or bad, it's all in Bamco's hands.

Just a Person
2486th Post

"More news on MK1" , posted Sat 10 Jun 04:04post reply

NRS has shown more details and videos of Mortal Kombat 1. And... I'm not sure I like them.

So, while MK 2011's timeline was pretty similar to the one from the first game (to the point where most people believed any changes in it were caused by Raiden sending a message to his "past self" and only MK11 made it clear that it was a different timeline altogether), MK1's timeline is different and odd, with Scorpion and Sub-Zero being siblings (when in previous timelines they weren't even from the same country), and so are Kitana and Mileena (but this time they're not twins. The point of these changes? I have no idea.

The video also shows the "Kameo" characters in action and, to me, it looks like a gimmick that may be interesting at first, but people may get tired of it after a month or two. Also, these "Kameos" are probably not canon to the story (like KOF 2000's Alternate Strikers), considering that all of them appear with their old (..."klassik"?) outfits (except for Goro) and some of them are also present as "kombatants" (which makes their double inclusion as "Kameos" feel like wasted slots). It's interesting that Sonya, Kano and Jax are only among the Kameos so far, considering that the three of them have been playable in almost every MK game - part of me is sad with the possibility that my three favorite kombatants may be absent from the playable roster this time, while the other part is kinda relieved that they may be spared from the increasingly gorier Fatalities.

"Re(1):More news on MK1" , posted Sat 10 Jun 06:33post reply

quote:
It's interesting that Sonya, Kano and Jax are only among the Kameos so far, considering that the three of them have been playable in almost every MK game - part of me is sad with the possibility that my three favorite kombatants may be absent from the playable roster this time, while the other part is kinda relieved that they may be spared from the increasingly gorier Fatalities.

Well Kano was performing one of the fatalities so it's probably safe to say he's playable. Or that strikers can do their own fatalities, who knows.

Otherwise I felt nothing from seeing the MK1 teaser and MK1 gameplay. MK lost my interest around MKX and hasn't changed since then. It's really an interesting place things are in when I can say "I like gore" but at the same time say "I don't like THIS gore". Personal limits are a funny thing.

Just a Person
2487th Post

"Re(2):More news on MK1" , posted Sat 10 Jun 10:02post reply

quote:
Well Kano was performing one of the fatalities so it's probably safe to say he's playable. Or that strikers can do their own fatalities, who knows.

Otherwise I felt nothing from seeing the MK1 teaser and MK1 gameplay. MK lost my interest around MKX and hasn't changed since then. It's really an interesting place things are in when I can say "I like gore" but at the same time say "I don't like THIS gore". Personal limits are a funny thing.

According to reviewers who had access to the beta test, Kameos can also perform Fatalities (apparently Jax's is that one from MK3 where he becomes a giant and stomps on the opponent - yes, that one that is possibly his worst Fatality ever), but can't suffer a Fatality. Which is why I'm (still) not complaining about Sonya, Jax and Kano being reduced to Kameos.

And yes, I agree, I'm also uncomfortable of the level of gore in MK since MKX (I could also include MK 2011, but since the characters in it looked quite cartoony, the violence didn't feel realistic and therefore didn't bother me so much).

Nevertheless, it won't surprise me if MK1 ends up overshadowing both SF6 and Tekken 8, just like in the previous generation of these three franchises. It will disappoint me, sure, but it won't surprise me.

"Re(3):More news on MK1" , posted Sun 11 Jun 01:23post reply

I'm of two minds about the latest MK trailer. First, I like that it's more colorful than the past few MK games. After the boring tacticool armor that so many characters wore in the past few games, I'm glad to see everyone in bright, poppy colors so they can beat each other to death with a spring in their step. It reminds me of the early arcade games where guys in brightly colored ninja suits were spraying neon blood everywhere. I also appreciate that a number of the costumes have been stripped down. Some of the costumes had become horribly overdesigned over the years so I like the back-to-basics approach.

The assists seem like a cute idea, but I suspect the best ones will be quickly determined and everyone will use that one exclusively. At least I like the way everyone scampers on and off screen as quickly as possible.

The idea of a rebooted reboot isn't too bad if it cleared up some of the convoluted mess that MK lore had become. Instead, it looks like it's making it even more obtuse. For example, not everyone remembers the soap opera twists and turns of the Scorpion/Sub-Zero sub-plot, but they are easy to recognize as rivals. They're the Ryu/Ken Kyo/Iori Haohmaru/Genjuro of the series. Adding a "they might be related!" twist to their story feels like its muddying the waters just for the sake of something to do.

While I am looking forward to MK1 about as much as any other NRS game, part of me wishes they would do a compilation of the MK games that haven't been re-released such as the PS2 titles. Those games may have been garbage but that doesn't mean I wouldn't play them again.

talbaineric
6429th Post

"Up in the air" , posted Tue 13 Jun 07:57post reply

quote:
MK1's timeline is different and odd, with Scorpion and Sub-Zero being siblings (when in previous timelines they weren't even from the same country), and so are Kitana and Mileena (but this time they're not twins. The point of these changes? I have no idea.

Speaking of which, I'd like a full list of where all the characters come from, except for the obvious Outworld characters.

Right now, the internet seems to be buzzing about Johnny Cage's ass. Pretty hilarious. Probably getting ready for that Van Damme DLC.

As for MK1 itself, I'm still up in the air if I want to buy it. I'm not a fan of where the series has gone design wise. There's something lacking in the newer games. It just seems soulless (clever pun I know). I think the gore is over extreme at times. I guess I just prefer the 90's type of gore i grew up with. But MK1 seems to be taking a step in the right direction for nostalgia sake. So maybe I'll get it.

Just a Person
2490th Post

"Re(1):Up in the air" , posted Thu 22 Jun 09:25:post reply

quote:
MK1's timeline is different and odd, with Scorpion and Sub-Zero being siblings (when in previous timelines they weren't even from the same country), and so are Kitana and Mileena (but this time they're not twins. The point of these changes? I have no idea.

Speaking of which, I'd like a full list of where all the characters come from, except for the obvious Outworld characters.

Right now, the internet seems to be buzzing about Johnny Cage's ass. Pretty hilarious. Probably getting ready for that Van Damme DLC.

As for MK1 itself, I'm still up in the air if I want to buy it. I'm not a fan of where the series has gone design wise. There's something lacking in the newer games. It just seems soulless (clever pun I know). I think the gore is over extreme at times. I guess I just prefer the 90's type of gore i grew up with. But MK1 seems to be taking a step in the right direction for nostalgia sake. So maybe I'll get it.

That's a good question. I only know the nationalities of the best-known kombatants: Liu Kang, Kung Lao and both Sub-Zeros are from China, Scorpion is from Japan, Johnny Cage, Jax, Sonya, Stryker and Nightwolf are from USA (Kabal is probably from the USA, too, but I'm not sure), and Kano is from Australia (in the older games he was implied to be Japanese-American, but Trevor Goddard's representation of Kano in the 1990s movie was popular enough to change Kano's origins).

I think Kenshi has both Japanese and European ancestry, but I'm not sure about which country he is. Same goes for Kenshi's son Takeda (Takeda's mother is from Thailand, but I don't know whether Takeda was born in Thailand as well). Speaking of MK children, Cassie and Jacqui are very likely from the USA, and Kung Jin from China. As for Kobra, Kira, Frost et al, it's possible that even Boon's team doesn't know where they come from.

EDIT: NRS has explained a little more about the backstories of the characters already announced, and I was wrong about Kitana and Mileena: while Mileena was previously mentioned as the "older sister", it turns out that she's referred that way because she was the first twin to leave Sindel's womb, but she and Kitana are indeed twins (this time, legitimate twins).

The part about Sub-Zero and Scorpion being brothers in the new timeline was apparently correct, though. Then again, I don't know whether this Scorpion is the same one from the previous two timelines (Hanzo Hazashi) or one of the two men who had the Sub-Zero codename in the other timelines (Bi Han and Kwai Liang) just adopting the "Scorpion identity".

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Sat 1 Jul 00:09]

Just a Person
2491th Post

"Here Kome New Kombatants (and Kameos)" , posted Sat 8 Jul 01:18post reply

Smoke and Rain join the playable kombatants, while Frost (in her Deadly Alliance version), Cyrax and Sektor (both in their MK3 armors) join the list of Kameos.

This is quite a bold move by NRS (bold, but not necessarily a good move). Smoke and Rain look great, for sure, but they're not exactly among the most popular fighters in the MK roster. And their inclusion seems to reinforce a certain "leaked list" which, if true, means that this game will bring back a lot of kombatants from MK4 and the PS2 games, like Reiko, Havik and Ashrah, and will leave behind several of the most recognizable kombatants, like Sonya, Reptile and Baraka (yes, Sonya is already confirmed as a Kameo in MK1, but Kameos are not "kanon").

That said, it's Mortal Kombat; even if players hate it (and most people who have tested it said they enjoyed it), it will still outsell SF6 and Tekken 8 and make Warner pay NRS to start working on a sequel the same moment MK1 is released.

"Re(1):Here Kome New Kombatants (and Kameos)" , posted Sat 8 Jul 03:50post reply

There are two constants with MK: it filled with ninja guys and Reptile fans will always be disappointed. Glad to see the traditions are being upheld.

The addition of Scorpion's air combos and Johnny Cage's hype system made MK1 look a lot more interesting than the initial previews. I doubt I will pick it up until the Komplete Kollection is on sale down the line, but at least there might be something to the matches when I do get around to it.

Just a Person
2492th Post

"Re(2):Here Kome New Kombatants (and Kameos)" , posted Sat 8 Jul 06:33post reply

quote:
There are two constants with MK: it filled with ninja guys and Reptile fans will always be disappointed. Glad to see the traditions are being upheld.

The addition of Scorpion's air combos and Johnny Cage's hype system made MK1 look a lot more interesting than the initial previews. I doubt I will pick it up until the Komplete Kollection is on sale down the line, but at least there might be something to the matches when I do get around to it.

Indeed, and while I'm not a big fan of either Rain or Human Smoke (I did love MK3's Cyber Smoke, though), they're not bad choices. My fear is just that both of them were in the allegedly leaked list that also includes some terrible choices from the Deadly Alliance and Deception rosters.

Then again, Stryker was a bad character in MK3, then became even worse in Armageddon, and yet NRS managed to make him actually interesting in MK 2011 (a.k.a. MK9), so maybe they'll be able to turn the terrible MK:DA and MK:D kombatants into interesting characters. But it won't be an easy task.

"Re(3):Here Kome New Kombatants (and Kameos)" , posted Wed 12 Jul 01:33post reply

quote:
Indeed, and while I'm not a big fan of either Rain or Human Smoke (I did love MK3's Cyber Smoke, though), they're not bad choices. My fear is just that both of them were in the allegedly leaked list that also includes some terrible choices from the Deadly Alliance and Deception rosters.

Then again, Stryker was a bad character in MK3, then became even worse in Armageddon, and yet NRS managed to make him actually interesting in MK 2011 (a.k.a. MK9), so maybe they'll be able to turn the terrible MK:DA and MK:D kombatants into interesting characters. But it won't be an easy task.

I haven't seen any possible leak lists, but the idea that they might bring back Deadly Alliance and Deception characters is interesting. Everyone who wasn't Kenshi was pretty forgettable in those games so using this sort-of reboot to start over isn't a bad idea. I'm not certain who they would bring back, but I had to look up the wikis on the games just to remember the names of some of those nobodies padding out the rosters.

"Tekken 8 - Claudio" , posted Fri 21 Jul 00:54post reply

Translator's Note: Arrivederci means arrivederci

Just a Person
2494th Post

"Re(1):Tekken 8 - Claudio" , posted Fri 21 Jul 05:08post reply

quote:
Translator's Note: Arrivederci means arrivederci

How long has it been since the last time Bamco announced a new Tekken 8 character?

Oh well, anyway, Claudio looks cool, so I guess the wait was worth it.

(but I'm still waiting for Alisa, plus Eddy and/or Christie)

Just a Person
2498th Post

"MK1: And the weird choices "kontinue"" , posted Sat 22 Jul 07:51:post reply

Li Mei, Tanya and Baraka join the playable roster, Darrius (who?) and Khameleon (the female one) join the Kameos.

I definitely wouldn't choose Li Mei for the default roster of a MK reboot (Tanya, maybe). But I have to admit that all three new kombatants look very promising.

Why NRS would bring Darrius to this game, though, I have no idea (hopefully the even worse Hotaru, Dairou and Mokap aren't joining him as Kameos as well). It's a good thing that he's just a Kameo, but it's still kinda offensive that he's being placed in the same position as "klassic kombatants" such as Sonya, Jax, Kano and Goro.

Anyway, I guess the leaked list was real, after all. Nitara (the vampiress from MK:DA), Ashrah (the MK:D lady with the hat that was even bigger than Raiden's) and Reiko (the maskless ninja from MK4 that some people thought was Shao Kahn in his ending) were also on that list, so I'm curious to see how NRS will re-create them. Other than that, the game looks good, but in my opinion it doesn't look as good as SF6.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Sat 22 Jul 21:30]

Lord SNK
594th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):MK1: And the weird choices" , posted Sat 22 Jul 23:23post reply

quote:
Li Mei, Tanya and Baraka join the playable roster, Darrius (who?) and Khameleon (the female one) join the Kameos.

I definitely wouldn't choose Li Mei for the default roster of a MK reboot (Tanya, maybe). But I have to admit that all three new kombatants look very promising.

Why NRS would bring Darrius to this game, though, I have no idea (hopefully the even worse Hotaru, Dairou and Mokap aren't joining him as Kameos as well). It's a good thing that he's just a Kameo, but it's still kinda offensive that he's being placed in the same position as "klassic kombatants" such as Sonya, Jax, Kano and Goro.

Anyway, I guess the leaked list was real, after all. Nitara (the vampiress from MK:DA), Ashrah (the MK:D lady with the hat that was even bigger than Raiden's) and Reiko (the maskless ninja from MK4 that some people thought was Shao Kahn in his ending) were also on that list, so I'm curious to see how NRS will re-create them. Other than that, the game looks good, but in my opinion it doesn't look as good as SF6.

Mortal Kombat 1 - Official Kombat Pack Roster Reveal Trailer

So Peacemaker, Omni-Man, Homelander and other two. They continue with the guest star thing. Who will be next? They already had TMNT, Rambo, Robocop, Terminator, Predator. They ran out of classic IPs and now are using more recent characters?

Just a Person
2498th Post

"Re(2):MK1: And the weird choices" , posted Sun 23 Jul 00:16post reply

quote:
Mortal Kombat 1 - Official Kombat Pack Roster Reveal Trailer

So Peacemaker, Omni-Man, Homelander and other two. They continue with the guest star thing. Who will be next? They already had TMNT, Rambo, Robocop, Terminator, Predator. They ran out of classic IPs and now are using more recent characters?

Don’t forget Alien (having Alien and Predator in the same game was actually kinda cool), plus Jason Voorhees and Freddy Krueger (who weren’t in the same game, thus ruining their respective inclusions), and Kratos, and… wow, I don’t even remember all guests MK had (also, I think the TMNT were in Injustice 2 rather than MK, but it’s been so long and both franchises are so similar that I may be confusing them).

I can see the appeal in guest fighters, as they provide some interesting crossover matches, but NRS may be exaggerating just a little…

Lord SNK
595th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):MK1: And the weird choices" , posted Sun 23 Jul 00:54post reply

quote:
(also, I think the TMNT were in Injustice 2 rather than MK, but it’s been so long and both franchises are so similar that I may be confusing them).

You could be right, I didn't play any of the recent MK games.
Injustice had guest stars too??

"Re(4):MK1: And the weird choices" , posted Sun 23 Jul 06:39post reply

Quick thoughts on the latest MK news:

With all the areal moves and assists, the game is finally looking like it plays differently than the last MK game.

So, Baraka and his ilk are now a disease? Good job remaking the world Liu Kang.

The idea that seven DLC characters have been revealed before the full cast is known is unpleasant.

What is with the guest characters? Previous entries seemed to favor slasher villains or things Ed Boon thought were cool in 1987. The latest trend seems to be overtly fascist superheroes.

Just a Person
2499th Post

"Re(4):MK1: And the weird choices" , posted Sun 23 Jul 09:01post reply

quote:
You could be right, I didn't play any of the recent MK games.
Injustice had guest stars too??

Yes; I checked Wikipedia and both games of the franchise had guest stars: Injustice 1 only had Scorpion, while Injustice 2 had the TMNT, Hellboy, Sub-Zero and Raiden.

I guess the DC fans must have loved to see NRS leaving popular DC superheroes or supervillains out of the game to make room for MK kombatants.

"Re(5):MK1: And the weird choices" , posted Sun 23 Jul 11:07post reply

quote:

What is with the guest characters? Previous entries seemed to favor slasher villains or things Ed Boon thought were cool in 1987. The latest trend seems to be overtly fascist superheroes.

It's definitely meant to be a supervillain pack, which I think works alright for MK since horribly mutilating good guys doesn't go over quite as easily as doing so to bad guys.

Just a Person
2500th Post

"MK1 and the Sands of Time" , posted Sun 30 Jul 21:54post reply

Geras is announced as another kombatant for MK1.

It seems that the second leaked list is indeed real (the first one was also apparently real, but I didn't realize back then that the first list only presented 18 characters, while the roster is supposed to have 24 kombatants).

In case anyone wants to see who else is in the leaked list, here it goes (read at your own discretion).

"Re(1):MK1 and the Sands of Time" , posted Tue 1 Aug 03:02post reply

Geras is a nice choice. First, all the gimmicks and effects with sand look good. Second, MK has always loved the idea of stopping an opponent so you can get a free attack and being able to hold someone in place with Bayonetta's witch time is a great example of that idea.

Looking at that leak list, is there anybody new in the game? Then again, with as much as some of the PS2 losers have been redesigned they might as well be new.

Just a Person
2502th Post

"Re(2):MK1 and the Sands of Time" , posted Tue 1 Aug 20:43post reply

quote:
Geras is a nice choice. First, all the gimmicks and effects with sand look good. Second, MK has always loved the idea of stopping an opponent so you can get a free attack and being able to hold someone in place with Bayonetta's witch time is a great example of that idea.

Looking at that leak list, is there anybody new in the game? Then again, with as much as some of the PS2 losers have been redesigned they might as well be new.

Assuming this list is correct, then no, there isn't anybody new. Then again, the first game of the first reboot didn't have any new characters either (well, it had Cyber Sub-Zero and Skarlet, but the former was technically just a new version of an old character, and the latter wasn't part of the default roster; she was only added later via DLC).

"Tekken 8's first new character" , posted Mon 7 Aug 07:04post reply

Who wants coffee

I hate that this has actually sold me on Tekken 8 more than anything else shown

Just a Person
2507th Post

"Re(1):Tekken 8's first new character" , posted Mon 7 Aug 21:02post reply

quote:
Who wants coffee

I love her! And I love her rivalry with Lili over coffee vs. tea (but I'm not sure if defeating your rival proves that your beverage is better than theirs).

Maybe this time Lili will give Asuka some rest. Or maybe Asuka will enter this rivalry to argue that Japanese tea is better than both coffee and Lili's fancy tea. That would be an even greater idea.

Just a Person
2508th Post

"Three "kharacters", three impressions" , posted Tue 8 Aug 05:50post reply

Reptile, Ashrah and Havik join MK1's playable roster (and Sareena joins the Kameos).

Reptile honestly surprised me. He's usually shown as just a lackey of someone else, with little personality and barely any changes in terms of gameplay; this new Reptile, however, looks very interesting with the possibility of changing between a full lizard form and a full human one, not to mention that he now has a personality and is apparently capable of thinking for himself. Possibly the best reinvention MK1 has made so far.

On the other side of the spectrum, there's Havik. I never liked him, but at least he looked kinda unique with his zombie face. I think this new Havik looks like if NRS had tried to turn him into another ninja-like fighter, and maybe some people will like it, but I don't.

Somewhere in the middle, there's Ashrah. Her new facial marks look nice, and the scene where she grows angel wings looks good. Other than that... eh, she looks kinda generic. Not bad, but not standing out, either.

Who does stand out, on the other hand, is Sareena. And that makes me confused: from what Ed Boon had explained, I understood that Kameos were just a gameplay tool and weren't really part of the plot, yet Sareena was redesigned (same goes for Goro and Khameleon) and it seems that she appears in a cutscene (come to think of it, Khameleon also appeared alongside Tanya in a cutscene in the previous trailer). I wonder if Boon was lying, or if his statement only applies to the "old-school looking" Kameos.

...Finally, while only 18 kombatants and 13 kameos (I think) have been officially revealed so far, some leaked footage has already shown two more additions that seem to reinforce the leaked list:

Reiko and Motaro (the latter seems to be just a Kameo but he also appears in the cutscene).

That would leave Sindel, Nitara, General Shao (probably Shao Kahn without the crown) and two spots that are still uncertain: the leaked list I posted here listed Jade and Sonya as the final characters, but apparently someone with access to NRS has stated that Jade won't be in the roster, and while I love Sonya, I don't think she's popular enough among the fandom to appear as both a kombatant and a Kameo in the same game (plus, she wouldn't have much purpose in the storyline without Kano and Jax).

End of Spoiler

"Re(1):Three" , posted Tue 8 Aug 22:07post reply

quote:
Who wants coffee

Those background llamas are amazing. Also, the way Azucena's leg clips through Asuka at around 1:24 bothers me far more than it should.

quote:
Reptile, Ashrah and Havik join MK1's playable roster (and Sareena joins the Kameos).

Poor Reptile has always been a punching bag in the series. While his ability to randomly turn into a buff lizard during combos is funny at least he seems to be taken seriously as a character this time out. At least he's no longer looks like a gecko.

"Re(1):Tekken 8's first new character" , posted Thu 10 Aug 06:33post reply

quote:
Who wants coffee

I have yet to be sold on 8, you could just plaster 'Tekken 7 Ultimate' on it and it would still resonate the same.

At least Coffee Girl looks like they had fun making her, I saw that thumbnail and thought it was a mockup at first. Tekken is at its best when it goes all in on the silliness, and I'd gladly sacrifice half of the current roster for more newcomers that dare to be bizarre.

Just a Person
2509th Post

"Re(2):Tekken 8's first new character" , posted Fri 11 Aug 07:09post reply

quote:
Who wants coffee

I have yet to be sold on 8, you could just plaster 'Tekken 7 Ultimate' on it and it would still resonate the same.

At least Coffee Girl looks like they had fun making her, I saw that thumbnail and thought it was a mockup at first. Tekken is at its best when it goes all in on the silliness, and I'd gladly sacrifice half of the current roster for more newcomers that dare to be bizarre.

Indeed. I like her cheery personality, and her fighting style is quite interesting, too; sorta "MMA-ish" but more fluid and fun rather than brutal. And while I'm not very fluent in Spanish, her voice acting feels very natural to me (so does Lily's French, by the way) - if Eddy, Christie or Katarina return in Tekken 8, I hope the same will happen to their Portuguese speeches.

"Re(3):Tekken 8's first new character" , posted Fri 11 Aug 16:18post reply

quote:

Indeed. I like her cheery personality, and her fighting style is quite interesting, too; sorta "MMA-ish" but more fluid and fun rather than brutal. And while I'm not very fluent in Spanish, her voice acting feels very natural to me (so does Lily's French, by the way) - if Eddy, Christie or Katarina return in Tekken 8, I hope the same will happen to their Portuguese speeches.

Well I guess I'll be the one to say it:

The roster was leaked, there's a screenshot of it. As usual people weren't sure if it was legit or not (there are so many fakes of course) but turns out it showed Azucena's portrait before she was announced at Evo and Bandai Namco keeps trying to shut down any videos talking about it.

I won't say any more except that it is pretty big for a launch roster, if it's not including DLC.

PSN: Kusanagi82

"Re(4):Tekken 8's first new character" , posted Fri 11 Aug 23:38post reply

quote:

I won't say any more except that it is pretty big for a launch roster, if it's not including DLC.

Oh no Lidia is not in there!

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"
Just a Person
2510th Post

"Re(5):Tekken 8's first new character" , posted Sat 12 Aug 13:00post reply

quote:

Oh no Lidia is not in there!

And no Eddy or Christie, either… that’s sad.

But other than that, it’s a pretty good default (or default + season 1 DLC) roster.

Just a Person
2514th Post

"How the mighty have fallen in MK1..." , posted Wed 23 Aug 05:13:post reply

Remember Shao Kahn? That intimidating warlord that was the main threat in several Mortal Kombat games? Well, it seems that in MK1 he'll basically be Sindel's punching bag...

...and I'm not complaining. Sindel looks very interesting (sometimes looking gentle and regal, sometimes looking evil and scary). Shao looks interesting, too, but Sindel was definitely the star here. As for Motaro and Shujinko as Kameos, I guess that's the only way these two could be brought back in a new MK game (after Shujinko's bad reception in Deception and NRS figuring out that four-legged Motaro didn't work as a 3D fighter, I'm surprised Ed Boon didn't retcon them out of existence in this new timeline).

I suppose the next trailer (which should come out soon, considering that MK1 will be released in about a month) will feature Nitara and Reiko, and later we should finally find out who are the final two kombatants (as the different leaked lists have all the names in common except for the final two fighters)... Jade? Sonya? Kano? Completely new kombatants?

EDIT: after part of the game's prologue was shown, there is yet another theory for the final two slots:

one would be Kronika, MK11's final boss, as the prologue reveals she is still around; the second final kombatant would be Shang Tsung - meaning that the select screen with 24 spaces is actually saving one of these spaces for him and the default roster for people who don't pre-order him will only have 23 kombatants.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Wed 23 Aug 22:18]

"Tekken 8 release date trailer" , posted Wed 23 Aug 06:33:post reply

Yep, looks like that leak forced Project Tekken to move their feets with the reveals.

GET READY FOR THE NEXT CONTENTS

So not a release window, but an actual release day: January 26, 2024

A large number of returning characters that were previously not shown, with the number of promised characters matching exactly the number of characters in the roster leak. Which is fine by me, since a character I actually wanted was on that list. And of course customizations make a return, hopefully inching back towards more flexibility this time.

The avatar stuff, though. On one hand, sure, okay, do that. Avatar stuff can be a fun distraction to mess around with, it's still a thing people do. On the other hand, avatars that look like that went out of style so many years ago. It is not going to be easy selling people on this look, and that includes people who were already interested in Tekken 8.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Wed 23 Aug 13:35]

"Re(1):Tekken 8 release date trailer" , posted Thu 24 Aug 00:17post reply

It's amazing how out of place these mobage avatars look in a series that is home to robots, upright fighting animals and a giant wooden puppet. I'll gladly take static menus over piloting these cheap caricatures in a shoddily rendered lobby anyday.

So Azucena really is the only new entry, huh? How long until Bamco decides to hit the reset button like MK and give themselves an excuse to keep Nina forever 21?

Just a Person
2514th Post

"Re(2):Tekken 8 release date trailer" , posted Thu 24 Aug 00:28post reply

quote:
It's amazing how out of place these mobage avatars look in a series that is home to robots, upright fighting animals and a giant wooden puppet. I'll gladly take static menus over piloting these cheap caricatures in a shoddily rendered lobby anyday.

So Azucena really is the only new entry, huh? How long until Bamco decides to hit the reset button like MK and give themselves an excuse to keep Nina forever 21?

If I'm not mistaken, the leaked list mentioned two other new entries besides Azucena.

"King of Iron Kombat" , posted Thu 24 Aug 22:47post reply

MK1: Shao's gimmick of being able to fight with and without his axe was fun. With most fighting games being disarmed is a negative that you don't want to have done to you. Making it a part of his regular attack style is interesting. Also, the CC was turned on in the MK trailer and it listed helpful things such as "gore splatter."

Tekken 8: Those Miis built out of what look like open game assets are embarrassing. Plus, what exactly are they used for? Is "Arcade Mode" simply an ArcSys style system for moving around the menu? The blurb said something about recreating the arcade experience which doesn't tell me anything. Will all the Miis smoke and steal tokens off the cabinet when you aren't looking to give it that actual arcade ambiance?

Lord SNK
597th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Bautista Kombat" , posted Tue 29 Aug 22:44post reply

Mortal Kombat 1 - Official It’s In Our Blood Trailer ft. Dave Bautista

Is Dave Bautista a playable character?

"Re(1):Bautista Kombat" , posted Wed 30 Aug 01:51post reply

quote:

I like the guy who abandoned his child so he could get hype about Mortal Kombat.

Mosquiton
2520th Post

"Re(2):Bautista Kombat" , posted Thu 31 Aug 00:15:post reply

quote:

I like the guy who abandoned his child so he could get hype about Mortal Kombat.

Perhaps he will perform a babality on his opponent and then be like, "Wait a minute... I left Billy Junior at the park!"

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Thu 31 Aug 01:22]

Just a Person
2518th Post

"Megan Fox becomes a MK1 fighter" , posted Thu 7 Sep 06:25post reply

...Well, not really, but she's voicing Nitara.

Megan's voice acting sounds okay; not amazing, but not bad either. Nitara's new design, on the other hand... she used to be one of the few newcomers from the PS2 era trilogy that actually looked interesting, but MK1 Nitara looks bland.

Oh well, now all that's left is a trailer for the final default kombatant. Well, technically there are two unrevealed fighters, but judging from the leaked select screen (if anyone here doesn't mind spoilers, check it at your own discretion), it seems one of them will have to be unlocked (like Quan Chi and Cyber Sub-Zero in MK9, or Frost in MK11), so it's unlikely that NRS will reveal their identity before the game comes out (but I'm sure the Internet will find it out and leak it in advance, anyway).

"Re(1):Megan Fox becomes a MK1 fighter" , posted Thu 7 Sep 23:10post reply

That's not a headline I was expecting to read this morning. I don't know if there is a clause in the MK contract that says every game needs one bit of stunt casting, but thankfully they got someone who can act out the lines instead of another Ronda Rousey situation.

The only thing I can remember about Nitara was that she had a buff move she could use mid-match. It looks like she still has that? At least this time it's done via a blood circle instead of the goofy effect in the old games where she would get big for a second.

Just a Person
2520th Post

"Re(2):Megan Fox becomes a MK1 fighter" , posted Wed 13 Sep 02:08post reply

quote:
That's not a headline I was expecting to read this morning. I don't know if there is a clause in the MK contract that says every game needs one bit of stunt casting, but thankfully they got someone who can act out the lines instead of another Ronda Rousey situation.

The only thing I can remember about Nitara was that she had a buff move she could use mid-match. It looks like she still has that? At least this time it's done via a blood circle instead of the goofy effect in the old games where she would get big for a second.

Ronda's situation in MK11 reminds me of the Brazilian dubbing for MKX, which had Pitty, a popular Brazilian rock singer, voicing Cassie Cage - and most people hated her voice acting, to the point that even Pitty herself avoids talking about it nowadays (to be fair, MKX's Brazilian dubbing in general sounds kinda off; MK11's Brazilian dubbing, on the other hand, is quite good, and I hope MK1's will be good as well).

Ironically, a YouTuber made fun of the whole situation by showing several MKX intros in Portuguese with Cassie facing other kombatants... but replacing Cassie's official Brazilian voice with lines from Internet celebrity Inês Brasil. The result was hilarious (though most of the humor probably will be lost for people who don't understand Portuguese and who don't know Inês Brasil's several memes), to the point that another YouTuber followed the idea in MK11, replacing Sindel's Brazilian voice with Inês's (this one has some NSFW moments, so be careful).

---

Anyway, back to MK1, the launch trailer was released today and it shows what everyone already knew: Reiko and Shang Tsung are the final kombatants (even though people have to either pre-order the game or wait until Shang Tsung is made available via paid DLC to access him - and that's despite the fact that apparently he's a major character in MK1's plot). Nevertheless, Tsung looks interesting; as for Reiko, his fighting style looks uninspired and his outfit is inspired on his hideous MKA look - but at least whoever worked on MK1's face modelling made him look quite handsome.

I've come to accept MK1's final roster. It's still sad that Sonya, Jax and Kano are absent, but it seems NRS decided to focus on MK's fantasy and martial arts side, so I guess that characters like the military kombatants and the cyber-ninjas wouldn't fit (which makes the idea to include Omniman, Homelander and Peacekeeper as DLC feel even worse than it already did when they were first announced).

"Re(3):Megan Fox becomes a MK1 fighter" , posted Wed 13 Sep 19:45post reply

I feel sorry for MK1 that they will release next to the real juggernaut of fighting game of 2023. Liu Kang is going to get slapped.

"Re(4):Megan Fox becomes a MK1 fighter" , posted Wed 13 Sep 22:36post reply

Here I was worried that MK1 wasn't going to have enough bad line readings and janky facial animation, then I saw the trailer for Jean-Claude Van Damme. It's mind-boggling that in the 21st century a great deal of time, effort, and money is going towards making interactive versions of cheap flicks made by Cannon Films.

I also see that the walking punching bag that is Reiko is in the game so MK1 has its quota of jobbers as well.

quote:
I feel sorry for MK1 that they will release next to the real juggernaut of fighting game of 2023. Liu Kang is going to get slapped.

Do I need to buy a Switch?

"Re(5):Megan Fox becomes a MK1 fighter" , posted Wed 13 Sep 22:57post reply

quote:
slapfest
And here Iggy and I and maybe Maese were just talking about the glory of the Utena movie, when there's an even more gorgeous and rose-filled situation afoot!
quote:

Do I need to buy a Switch?

Come for Zelda, stay for the brawling nobility!

"Uni2SC" , posted Fri 22 Sep 18:28post reply

It's coming.... the day before T8.

I really like the first game through its revisions, and it's great that it's an old-school sequel, reusing everything and just adding things on top (though they have rollback, but no crossplay, so...) instead of having to go the Melty route of starting from scratch.
6 more characters (After DLC) is nice, although the previous game already had ton of variety so I wonder what crazy ideas they'll add on of top of what's already there.

The release date shows that they only intend to sell it to their fans and to no one else, however. I wish them the best of luck.

"Tekken Force" , posted Wed 18 Oct 21:24post reply

It looks like Tekken 8 is going to have a Musou style Tekken Force. This could be wild or a total mess, but since it's Tekken Force it will probably be both at the same time.

The Arcade Quest mode still looks puzzling. If it plays like the old mode in VF4 it will be wonderful. However, the avatars staring at you like a bunch of dead fish is not appealing. The icons on Reddit have more personality, for crying out loud.

"Re(1):Tekken Force" , posted Mon 23 Oct 22:56post reply

If Tekken is like this any other issue is forgiven.

"Re(2):Tekken Force" , posted Mon 23 Oct 23:16:post reply

quote:
If Tekken is like this any other issue is forgiven.

While some part of me has always resented Tekken for surviving in a way that the much better Soul Calibur has not, if the game were to move in this direction I might finally get into it again like in the glorious Tekken 3 days.

Edit: it might actually be the best use of questionable music for massive fun since this uncharacteristically genius segment of latter-day Simpsons, this SF x Tekken treasure, or maybe even the criminally undervalued SFIV Indestructible song when placed in the proper "Mr. Vega Gets Dressed for the Office" setting.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 23 Oct 23:39]

Red Falcon
6464th Post

"Re(3):Tekken Force" , posted Tue 24 Oct 18:46post reply

Sorry to cut in to the conversation for a moment, but are you getting any mail from me, Maou, or is it getting filtered?

"Re(4):Tekken Force" , posted Tue 24 Oct 21:06post reply

quote:
Sorry to cut in to the conversation for a moment, but are you getting any mail from me, Maou, or is it getting filtered?

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER

Oh! There was stuff from a totally new e-mail address a while ago that I assumed was spam, maybe it was you. (Don't worry, you're not even the first Cafe member to have the dubious distinction of ending up as Spam: I believe Iggy's first e-mail to me was a joke phishing message with the title "My Laura has bigger boobs than Gojira's. Click here to...", which would have been great, except it did indeed get sent straight to spam!) Anyway, it's seriously busy here but let me know when you're in town!

BACK ON (dancing) TOPIC

Don't worry, I have plenty of these! The best news following from Ishmael's profile is that there is ample precedent for exactly the kind of Tekken we dream of/deserve.

"Re(5):Tekken Force" , posted Thu 2 Nov 22:24post reply

Vincent Cassel will be portraying a weeb in Tekken 8.

"Re(6):Tekken Force" , posted Thu 2 Nov 23:32post reply

quote:

The fact that both he and Nina use a gun makes me think Bamco might actually attempt a Death by Degrees sequel. I wouldn't mind getting a janky Revengeance clone since Konami doesn't seem eager to revive that title anytime soon.

"Re(7):Tekken Force" , posted Fri 3 Nov 02:39post reply

quote:

The fact that both he and Nina use a gun makes me think Bamco might actually attempt a Death by Degrees sequel. I wouldn't mind getting a janky Revengeance clone since Konami doesn't seem eager to revive that title anytime soon.

I never expected the newest Tekken character to be a cross between Yoshimitsu and jailbird Cody! Seeing weapons in Tekken makes me once again kind of resent the neglect of the much better Soul Calibur, though!

Also: having been away from the series since Tekken 4 (!), my biggest question is: who are all these people? How are there this many characters? Are there 100 characters? It sure looks like it. And most seem to be dressed as businessmen. Hmm.

Just a Person
2526th Post

"Re(8):Tekken Force" , posted Sat 4 Nov 00:00post reply

He looks like a great video game character... just not for a fighting game.

quote:
Also: having been away from the series since Tekken 4 (!), my biggest question is: who are all these people? How are there this many characters? Are there 100 characters? It sure looks like it. And most seem to be dressed as businessmen. Hmm.

Tekken does have a lot of characters... but regarding the total number of characters, that depends on whether you consider legacy characters separately or not (for example, there's King I and King II, Armor King I and Armor King II, Kunimitsu I and Kunimitsu II, Kuma I and Kuma II, Roger and Roger Jr., Marshall Law and Forrest Law, all the numbered Jacks...), or whether you care about the one-time bosses or not (like Jinpachi, Azazel, the NANCY mecha or Kazumi "I look younger than my own grandson" Mishima).

Also, Tekken 7 introduced several newcomers via DLC but Bamco didn't even bother developing their identities or plots (in fact, even the newcomers who were already part of the default roster barely got any background information - including Claudio, who was supposed to be a major character in Tekken 7's story). Which is a shame, because many of them look great and are very fun to play, too, like Leroy, Lydia and Fahkumram.

"Re(8):Tekken Force" , posted Sat 4 Nov 03:20post reply

quote:
I never expected the newest Tekken character to be a cross between Yoshimitsu and jailbird Cody! Seeing weapons in Tekken makes me once again kind of resent the neglect of the much better Soul Calibur, though!

The more weapons get introduced into Tekken, the more I wish the characters played like Soul Calibur instead of Tekken.

quote:

Being overdressed and over accessorized used to be a problem for Tekken. Over time, however, it has turned into the game's visual identity. What's strange is that whenever I see someone from the Tekken development team, they are wearing a blazer over a t-shirt, which is the standard uniform of every video game creator when they are expected to "dress up" in public. Who is responsible for dressig the Tekken cast?

"Re(8):Tekken Force" , posted Sun 5 Nov 19:41post reply

quote:
Seeing weapons in Tekken makes me once again kind of resent the neglect of the much better Soul Calibur, though!

With sadness immeasurable, the soul rests for millennia

It says something when the most visible SC6 content I can find today is vtubers playing it with their community, who have customized memes and in-jokes to remain entertaining. Which is all well and good, but the gameplay is almost always cut from these videos, showing that priorities have shifted into the Bad Place. How did my favorite series turn so thoroughly into a clown fiesta after nearly having its own hype World Tour in 2020?

Anyway this Victor character is apparently a boss of those "Raven" characters that Tekken has been keeping around since Tekken 5 (who themselves only existed to replace Kunimitsu, who came back a couple of times anyway) but tbh I always forget about them after a while. As ninja they are probably too good at hiding behind a forgettable existence.

Hopefully the final new character will be the stylistic return of Roger Jr. and Alex, despite reports that the character is indeed a human who lacks the necessary tiny t-rex arms and massive hind legs to perform rooboxing and rookicking.

"Re(9):Tekken Force" , posted Thu 16 Nov 06:00post reply

quote:
Seeing weapons in Tekken makes me once again kind of resent the neglect of the much better Soul Calibur, though!

With sadness immeasurable, the soul rests for millennia

It says something when the most visible SC6 content I can find today is vtubers playing it with their community, who have customized memes and in-jokes to remain entertaining. Which is all well and good, but the gameplay is almost always cut from these videos, showing that priorities have shifted into the Bad Place. How did my favorite series turn so thoroughly into a clown fiesta after nearly having its own hype World Tour in 2020?

Anyway this Victor character is apparently a boss of those "Raven" characters that Tekken has been keeping around since Tekken 5 (who themselves only existed to replace Kunimitsu, who came back a couple of times anyway) but tbh I always forget about them after a while. As ninja they are probably too good at hiding behind a forgettable existence.

Hopefully the final new character will be the stylistic return of Roger Jr. and Alex, despite reports that the character is indeed a human who lacks the necessary tiny t-rex arms and massive hind legs to perform rooboxing and rookicking.

The more weapons-using characters get added to Tekken, whether guests like Noctis and Negan or mainstays like Kunimitsu and newcomers like Victor, the more it sticks out how restricted Yoshimitsu is in using his sword. Tekken isn't changing that about him too much because Tekken generally isn't about making big changes to existing characters' moves and playstyles, but this really sticks out to me because Yoshi was the first character I ever picked when trying Tekken 3 in arcades! And I picked him because of his sword! and I couldn't figure out how to make him use his sword (but I also was very young and not at all good at fighting games....)!

"Re(10):Tekken Force" , posted Thu 16 Nov 21:19post reply

quote:
The more weapons-using characters get added to Tekken, whether guests like Noctis and Negan or mainstays like Kunimitsu and newcomers like Victor, the more it sticks out how restricted Yoshimitsu is in using his sword. Tekken isn't changing that about him too much because Tekken generally isn't about making big changes to existing characters' moves and playstyles, but this really sticks out to me because Yoshi was the first character I ever picked when trying Tekken 3 in arcades! And I picked him because of his sword! and I couldn't figure out how to make him use his sword (but I also was very young and not at all good at fighting games....)!
I sometimes forget Yoshimitsu is technically a Tekken character even if he belongs in Soul Calibur! I have many fond memories of accidentally impaling him in both versions (bonus points if you can damage your opponent while doing so (it is possible!)).

My current plan is to keep leaving the Soul Edge opening in random places like a ritual offering in hopes that it revives Soul Calibur. If you ask me, it's the best pitch or proof of concept for the uninitiated that has ever existed. Like who could watch/listen to it and not think, "we must make/revive this series RIGHT NOW!"?

"Re(2):Re(10):Tekken Force" , posted Thu 16 Nov 23:51post reply

The "arms race" of Tekken is an odd progression, and a frustrating one. The game is supposed to be about determining the king of Iron Fist, not who can bring the biggest rail gun to the fight. At least the newest character Reina gets back to the old-fashioned method of defeating opponents by putting fist to face. Reina might also fall into the category of Rumic World wacky fighting schoolkid (another odd development in Tekken over the years) but that has yet to be determined.

Just a Person
2528th Post

"JoJo's ASBR's final Season 2 character" , posted Wed 22 Nov 05:10post reply

...I wasn't expecting that. But I'm not complaining; in fact, I loved this choice!

So now this game's Season 2 will come to an end, and possibly so will the game itself (I mean, from what I follow, it doesn't seem that All Star Battle R has a lot of people playing it). If a Season 3 does come, that's awesome; if it doesn't, well, this game already has an impressive roster, so it's all good.

"Re(1):JoJo's ASBR's final Season 2 character" , posted Wed 6 Dec 00:26post reply

I don't know when I'm going to get around to playing MK1, and I don't play Quan Chi, but I'm always amused when he pops up. Too many MK characters get overdesigned or are presented as if they are mature, serious fighters. Quan Chi, however, continues to run around in silly shirts and heavy make-up that makes him look like Riff Raff from a community theater production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. No matter how dour MK gets Quan Chi is still going to show up and toss candy colored skulls at people.

Just a Person
2529th Post

"Re(2):JoJo's ASBR's final Season 2 character" , posted Wed 6 Dec 22:16post reply

quote:
I don't know when I'm going to get around to playing MK1, and I don't play Quan Chi, but I'm always amused when he pops up. Too many MK characters get overdesigned or are presented as if they are mature, serious fighters. Quan Chi, however, continues to run around in silly shirts and heavy make-up that makes him look like Riff Raff from a community theater production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. No matter how dour MK gets Quan Chi is still going to show up and toss candy colored skulls at people.

He looks very interesting, indeed. And so does Khameleon as a Kameo, by the way; it's nice how she changes styles from Kitana's to Mileena's to Jade's just like in N64's MK Trilogy, even though Jade isn't even in the game (at least not yet).

Just a Person
2530th Post

"The third Valentine sister is back" , posted Sat 9 Dec 02:11post reply

Elphelt was announced as the second Season 3 character for Guilty Gear Strive. She looks quite... different. Nevertheless, it's nice that she'll finally be reunited (sort of) with Ramlethal and Jack-O'.

Also, apparently GGS will get a 3v3 mode, but ArcSys didn't make it clear whether this mode will be like MVC or like KOF (that is, with or without tags).

Red Falcon
6474th Post

"Re(1):The third Valentine sister is back" , posted Sat 9 Dec 09:43:post reply

quote:
Elphelt was announced as the second Season 3 character for Guilty Gear Strive. She looks quite... different.

She’s Noel.
Edit: And she’s bonkers, off any meaty 214H, fuzzy with j.Sjump cancel j.SH… it’s shockingly stupid, lol.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Sat 9 Dec 22:47]

Just a Person
2531th Post

"Re(2):The third Valentine sister is back" , posted Mon 11 Dec 22:44post reply

quote:
Elphelt was announced as the second Season 3 character for Guilty Gear Strive. She looks quite... different.

She’s Noel.
Edit: And she’s bonkers, off any meaty 214H, fuzzy with j.Sjump cancel j.SH… it’s shockingly stupid, lol.

That makes sense, considering that GG's Valentines are kinda equivalent to BB's Murakumo units (come to think of it, it's surprising that these two franchises haven't had a proper crossover yet).

I wonder if Arc System Works will make a special Story Mode episode for Elphelt, Johnny, Bridget and Testament (and whoever else gets introduced/brought back in Strive's Season 3) like they did for Bedman's sister, Sin, Baiken, Faust, May and Ramlethal.

"Re(2):Tekken demo is back" , posted Tue 12 Dec 23:29post reply

A demo of some of the offline stuff in Tekken 8 arrives on 12/14. There was a time when Tekken's single player stuff was quite robust, so I'm hoping that T8 will be a return to form.

quote:

GG is back!

"Re(3):Tekken demo is back" , posted Mon 18 Dec 05:54post reply

What are the general pre-release feelings about Tekken 8? After trying the demo, it feels like the game wants me to burn through the heat system as quickly as possible, whether I want to or not.

Red Falcon
6475th Post

"End of year lagfest?" , posted Mon 25 Dec 20:22:post reply

How about it? I’m on vacation as of today, so anyone interested in Strive, something random on fightcade (zero 3? Fighter’s history dynamite?) or even borin’ old (well, new…) SF6, let’s set something up!

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Mon 25 Dec 20:24]

"Tekken warning" , posted Wed 3 Jan 01:08post reply

FYI: The accessibility options in Tekken 8 are shockingly dangerous.

quote:
How about it? I’m on vacation as of today, so anyone interested in Strive, something random on fightcade (zero 3? Fighter’s history dynamite?) or even borin’ old (well, new…) SF6, let’s set something up!

Sorry I wasn't able to make it this time out. Hopefully I can lose next time (assuming Tekken doesn't kill me.)

Lord SNK
609th Post

"Hunter x Hunter = 3 x 3" , posted Sat 6 Jan 19:32:post reply

New Hunter x Hunter fighting game trailer.

It looks like it will be a 3 vs 3, no other details at the moment.

[this message was edited by Lord SNK on Sat 6 Jan 19:33]

"Re(1):Hunter x Hunter = Tekken x 3" , posted Thu 11 Jan 06:16post reply

quote:
New Hunter x Hunter fighting game trailer.

It looks like it will be a 3 vs 3, no other details at the moment.

I hope I'm wrong, but that has arena fighter written all over it.

In other news, Namco released a summary of the increasingly odd Tekken storyline narrated by Brian Cox. It's probably best not to think about how many Soul Calibur characters could have been funded with the budget for this curio.

"Re(2):Hunter x Hunter = Tekken x 3" , posted Thu 11 Jan 17:54post reply

quote:
Namco released a summary of the increasingly odd Tekken storyline narrated by Brian Cox. It's probably best not to think about how many Soul Calibur characters could have been funded with the budget for this curio.

ARGH, too late! Soul Calibur died for Tekken's (boring) sins! I don't even need a new game, we already have the perfect Soul Calibur in 2, I just want a modern networked port that's good enough that I don't need to just get with the program and play it on the Dolphin emulator like the rest of the community. Like with Fightcade, the latter is too good and too established, so probably a moot point, but still...!

"2XKO vs FEXL" , posted Fri 23 Feb 01:44post reply

Project L is now called 2XKO. It took five years to come up with that name.

"Re(1):2XKO vs FEXL" , posted Fri 23 Feb 01:54post reply

quote:

2XKO sounds like a knockoff energy drink flavor. I would not even dare associate that with a fighting game.

Can't they just stick with Project L? It works with the League of Legends moniker, and Capcom already proved the branding can make sense with Project Justice.

"Re(1):2XKO vs FEXL" , posted Mon 26 Feb 01:45post reply

quote:

I'm pretty sure there has to be some kind of faux pas against doing this. One of the pleasures of being a community is getting to come up with acronyms for the things you're a fan of, which become kind of a shared symbol of being part of that community. Riot left no space for that. It's so impersonal and robotic, which by extension makes it feel very corporate.

Just a Person
2543th Post

"Paracelsus is back to Guilty Gear" , posted Thu 21 Mar 21:09post reply

...oh, right, and A.B.A too.

I only started getting into the GG series recently, so I may be mistaken, but I think this is the first appearance of A.B.A (and Paracelsus) in a GG game with a canon story, right? Although one of Asuka's quotes already indicated that she does exist.

Her hair color changing from red to green was a bold choice, but I like it.

Now, I wonder who will be the remaining DLC characters. Could ArcSys decide to include everyone from the entire franchise in Strive like they did in BlazBlue Central Fiction? That would be quite the challenge considering there are still plenty of GG characters absent from Strive and some of them are canonically dead; still, it would be interesting to see Justice fighting and/or interacting with her other half Jack-O', or Xrd's Bedman facing Strive's "Bedman?"...

Red Falcon
6480th Post

"Re(1):Paracelsus is back to Guilty Gear" , posted Mon 25 Mar 09:46post reply

quote:

Her hair color changing from red to green was a bold choice..

Her hair is made of copper, it’s oxidized now.
(Her blood is mercury, too.)

Red Falcon
6480th Post

"Re(1):Paracelsus is back to Guilty Gear" , posted Mon 25 Mar 09:46post reply

quote:

Just a Person
2544th Post

"Re(2):Paracelsus is back to Guilty Gear" , posted Mon 25 Mar 20:50post reply

quote:

Ooh, so it's not a bold choice, it's brilliant! Thank you for the information!

By the way, it seems that Slayer will be the last DLC character in Strive's Season 3, and Arc System Works confirmed that the game will get a Season 4!

"Re(3):Paracelsus is back to Guilty Gear" , posted Tue 26 Mar 03:47post reply

I'm not a fan of A.B.A. but the notion that her hair color has a scientific explanation is wonderful. That, and Slayer is coming back, which is the important GG news.