Vomiting in Capcom Games - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (586 Views )

user profileedit/delete message
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Vomiting in Capcom Games" , posted Fri 29 Jul 12:28:post reply

One of the SF2 things I frequently mention, I am glad someone has now gone and made a video covering many instances of it across Capcom's library. This is truly the oeuvre of classic Capcom.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Fri 29 Jul 12:37]

Replies:

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):Vomiting in Capcom Games" , posted Sat 30 Jul 01:56post reply

quote:
One of the SF2 things I frequently mention, I am glad someone has now gone and made a video covering many instances of it across Capcom's library. This is truly the oeuvre of classic Capcom.

The news you can use! I'm glad to see the wild days of arcade games being memorialized so people can remember that characters used to bleed and yack all over the floor during matches.

Since arcade games had to keep your attention and the credits flowing they were wild in what they tried. I remember going through a collection of Midway games and found that in around a third of the games the player character had the ability to eat people.

nobinobita
1922th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Vomiting in Capcom Games" , posted Tue 2 Aug 15:53post reply

quote:

The news you can use! I'm glad to see the wild days of arcade games being memorialized so people can remember that characters used to bleed and yack all over the floor during matches.

The puking in the old games is so gnarly. I remember seeing it for the first time and wondering "did that just happen?" It's so much weirder than blood! But it just works! Really interesting to note how the games got less and less bloody as they went on!

I think a great way to show off the new focus on realism and amazing tech for SF6 is to bring back the puking in exhaustive detail. I'm talking about realtime fluid dynamics, sub surface scattering, sticking to clothes, color/chunkage/viscosity custom to each fighter's diet, causing slippage if someone steps on it during the fight (imagine how it will affect footsies!), the works!

quote:
Since arcade games had to keep your attention and the credits flowing they were wild in what they tried. I remember going through a collection of Midway games and found that in around a third of the games the player character had the ability to eat people.

Haha that's great! Off the top of my head I can only think of Rampage and Mortal Kombat? What other games classic Midway games allow you to devour people? Oh shoot Miss Pacman was Midway right??

www.art-eater.com
Mosquiton
2510th Post

"Re(3):Vomiting in Capcom Games" , posted Tue 2 Aug 23:53:post reply

quote:

quote:
Haha that's great! Off the top of my head I can only think of Rampage and Mortal Kombat? What other games classic Midway games allow you to devour people? Oh shoot Miss Pacman was Midway right?

Trog is another Midway game where you do a lot of people eating.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Wed 3 Aug 00:42]

"Re(4):Vomiting in Capcom Games" , posted Wed 3 Aug 00:59post reply

quote:

Haha that's great! Off the top of my head I can only think of Rampage and Mortal Kombat? What other games classic Midway games allow you to devour people? Oh shoot Miss Pacman was Midway right?

Trog is another Midway game where you do a lot of people eating.

Through some sort of laborious corporate merging Primal Rage is (I think) now owned by Warner Bros, which means it's lumped into the Midway catalog. When I played Midway Arcade Treasures 2 and got to Primal Rage I, naturally, spent all my time eating people.

Come to think of it, when was the last time you got to do something as crass as eat enemies? It worked in the surreal setting of Pac-Man but looking back on it that was a weird mechanic to include in a game. Perhaps it's time for Stubbs the Zombie to make a comeback... or perhaps not.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(5):Vomiting in Games" , posted Wed 3 Aug 01:12post reply

quote:
Come to think of it, when was the last time you got to do something as crass as eat enemies?
I was plotting so hard about how to make it so that “vomit” wasn’t in the top thread title, but now this topic is turning back towards the Cafe’s bread and butter (and cheese!), food! Aside from being a great game, Yoshi’s Island has continued a long tradition of eating enemies that began in Mario World, all while adding the uncomfortable wrinkle of digestive-to-birth conversion as the unfortunate enemies are turned into launchable egg rockets.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...
Just a Person
2426th Post

"Re(3):Vomiting in Capcom Games" , posted Wed 3 Aug 08:20post reply

quote:
I think a great way to show off the new focus on realism and amazing tech for SF6 is to bring back the puking in exhaustive detail. I'm talking about realtime fluid dynamics, sub surface scattering, sticking to clothes, color/chunkage/viscosity custom to each fighter's diet, causing slippage if someone steps on it during the fight (imagine how it will affect footsies!), the works!

But it wouldn't be a novelty, would it? MK9 already had Noob Saibot's X-Ray Move making the opponent puke on his leg. It was... not a pleasant sight.

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.

"Re(6):Vomiting in Games" , posted Thu 4 Aug 04:54post reply

*BARF*

quote:
I was plotting so hard about how to make it so that “vomit” wasn’t in the top thread title, but now this topic is turning back towards the Cafe’s bread and butter (and cheese!), food! Aside from being a great game, Yoshi’s Island has continued a long tradition of eating enemies that began in Mario World, all while adding the uncomfortable wrinkle of digestive-to-birth conversion as the unfortunate enemies are turned into launchable egg rockets.

How could I forget Yoshi! Is his ability to eat enemies cute? Horrifying? Someone's DeviantArt fetish?

But let's get back to what the Cafe is known for, food and discussion of the God of War franchise. I recently tried the new God of War (sad dad version) and... it's a bit of a drag. Honestly, I actually like the presentation. The idea of making it one long narrative is a neat trick. Mid-life crisis Kratos is also funny, since the game is trying to cram a square peg into a round hole with getting the edgelord Kratos of old to mesh with this current version. With his fashionably shaved head and puffy beard, Kratos looks like he's now slightly embarrassed about all the loud, angry music he used to listen to a few years ago. His attempts at being a father are also hilarious, since it's obvious that Kratos hasn't spoken five words to the kid before the game started. I suspect he calls him "boy!" because he has no idea what his son is actually named. The problem I have with the game is the combat isn't that much fun. Considering this is a GoW game that's not good. The game feels like it wants to be Resident Evil 4 but that game knew how to arrange enemy encounters. From what I've played so far, GoW spends a lot of time sticking Kratos in big arenas where enemies are free to circle around or throw shit at you from the sidelines. Half the time I'm either watching color coded arrows that tell me how many guys off-screen are crawling up my butt or I have to listen to the boy! tell me to pay attention to my peripheral vision. Maybe I need to unlock more moves but the old GoW games made you feel strong right out of the gate. Maybe I need to shelve GoW until I can spend some time with the game and learn to appreciate what is there instead of wrestling with it every step of the way.