Samurai Pizza Cats gave birth to Mega Man X - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (598 Views )
nobinobita
1922th Post

user profileedit/delete message
Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Samurai Pizza Cats gave birth to Mega Man X" , posted Mon 25 Jul 14:20:post reply

What if I told you that Samurai Pizza Cats was the single biggest influence on Mega Man X?

No seriously! In differentiating X from the OG series, Capcom took so many ideas from Tatsunoko Productions' Kyatto Ninden Teyandee! The art direction, the setting, the character designs, even the gameplay!

My buddies Kent and Kerlbombo wrote about it on the latest Art-Eater article! Please check it out and let me know your thoughts!

https://art-eater.com/articles/the-ways-samurai-pizza-cats-shaped-mega-man-x

(apologies for the shameless self promotion, all credit goes to my friends Kerblombo and Kent, I just edited the piece)

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 25 Jul 14:23]

Replies:

PSN: Kusanagi82
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Samurai Pizza Cats gave birth to Mega M" , posted Tue 26 Jul 02:18post reply

quote:
What if I told you that Samurai Pizza Cats was the single biggest influence on Mega Man X?

This is awesome!! I personally loved them both the show and the game way back then!
Thanks for sharing Nobi.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Teyandee!!" , posted Tue 26 Jul 07:54:post reply

Ha! You'd better believe I put on the nutty American theme music and sat down with my boy Kitsunezuka Corn No Kami/THE BIG CHEESE to go through this fun article!

I have been racking my brain to think if there is a more obvious antecedent in the animal-mecha genre for Rockman X than the relatively low-profile cats, but I think we need a bigger Tatsunoko fan than me to think back far enough! I mean, the mecha armor designs are in line with their previous designs on Space Knight Tekkaman Blade, Record of Heavenly War Shurato, or even rival Sunrise's Yoroiden Samurai Troopers, but but but could these Edo cats truly be the source!? If only Sigma were half as fun as our cross-dressing, frequently exploding villain Corn!

PS: per the article's reference to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, they actually did try to get the cats in there but it didn't work out!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 26 Jul 08:11]