user profileedit/delete message
PSN: beatolover
XBL: Dead
Wii: Dead
STM: bugrom1067
CFN: rugalbgood
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Retro lagfest for the new year?" , posted Sun 2 Jan 12:39post reply

Anyone interested? I'm on vacation so any day this week is fine, 9:00 AM Japan time.
By retro, I mean: Do any of you use fightcade, and if so, interested in doing some Zero 2 or Zero 3, or CVS2 or something?

If not, SFV/Strive is fine too.

Replies:

"Re(1):Retro lagfest for the new year?" , posted Tue 4 Jan 09:44post reply

quote:
Anyone interested? I'm on vacation so any day this week is fine, 9:00 AM Japan time.
By retro, I mean: Do any of you use fightcade, and if so, interested in doing some Zero 2 or Zero 3, or CVS2 or something?

If not, SFV/Strive is fine too.

I am terrible at Cyberbots, but if you're down to play it let's play!

Red Falcon
6362th Post

"Re(2):Retro lagfest for the new year?" , posted Tue 4 Jan 10:41:post reply

quote:

Likewise I don't remember a thing about the game, but sure, I'll play anytime!

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Tue 4 Jan 11:47]

Red Falcon
6362th Post

"Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Sun 9 Jan 12:09post reply

Anyone down for next weekend (Jan 15th) 9 AM Japan time?
Something else is fine too.

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(1):Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Sun 9 Jan 12:49post reply

I CAN’T BELIEVE MY EYES! GO FOR BROKE!

My body is ready for Zero 3 on Jan 15 JST / Jan 14 EST. Rugal, if you can swing either an hour earlier or later start it’s a little easier…any chance?

Either way, Fightcade worked great when we tried it the other week, and I’d love to play with our Cafe dojo! If, like us, you were having trouble getting games to run, this tool is very helpful.
quote:
Who knew that Cyberbots would be the game that finally got the elusive Spoon to join a lagfest! We should definitely try that too if you’re coming.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

"Re(2):Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Tue 11 Jan 15:55:post reply

quote:
I CAN’T BELIEVE MY EYES! GO FOR BROKE!

My body is ready for Zero 3 on Jan 15 JST / Jan 14 EST. Rugal, if you can swing either an hour earlier or later start it’s a little easier…any chance?

Either way, Fightcade worked great when we tried it the other week, and I’d love to play with our Cafe dojo! If, like us, you were having trouble getting games to run, this tool is very helpful.
I am terrible at Cyberbots, but if you're down to play it let's play!Who knew that Cyberbots would be the game that finally got the elusive Spoon to join a lagfest! We should definitely try that too if you’re coming.

Have you guys got a Discord or something for communications leading up to lagfest? I recall one of you mentioning experimenting with it.

If not just posting here would be delightful!

[this message was edited by Spoon on Tue 11 Jan 15:56]

Red_Falcon
6364th Post

"Re(3):Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Tue 11 Jan 18:09:post reply

quote:
Have you guys got a Discord or something for communications leading up to lagfest? I recall one of you mentioning experimenting with it.

Sure, I’ll post the link again later.
Link is up. Will take it down in a couple of days.

[this message was edited by Red_Falcon on Tue 11 Jan 22:31]

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(4):Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Fri 14 Jan 01:55post reply

quote:

Sure, I’ll post the link again later.
Link is up. Will take it down in a couple of days.

Can I figure out how to run fightcade and navigate discord before the weekend? Probably not. But I'll give it the ol' college try!

Pencilero

113th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Fri 14 Jan 02:55post reply

quote:
Can I figure out how to run fightcade and navigate discord before the weekend? Probably not. But I'll give it the ol' college try!

Fightcade is ridiculously simple to install and get running compared to GGPO and the more intensive configuration required to get it running. There's even a MacOS native version unlike GGPO.

Start here.

Discord. . . allegedly I have an account. It was hacked yesterday apparently looking at the e-mail chain. I notified the company and just requested they shut it down. I have no record of the account, which I probably used as a one-off for my ADD afflicted chums who gleefully jump from platform to platform instead of remaining true to Internet Relay Chat.

I need to create a bot of myself so I can remain on IRC posthumously.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus

"Re(5):Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Fri 14 Jan 09:06:post reply

Everyone's favorite announcer sez: "BEAT 'EM UP, GUY! THIS IS STREET FIGHTER ZERO 3!"

Time: Jan. 15 (Sa) 10AM JST / Jan. 14 (F) 8PM EST (moved one hour later--thanks Rugal!)

Talking
: Join Rugal's super-secret lagfest-only Discord server above so we can find you and share a link for his...private lobby.

Setup: Ishmael, the new Fightcade is surprisingly easy: on the left, you can search for a game and "join" it as a channel, pinning up to three on the left. Once inside that channel, you can choose Test Game at the top right to go in single-player, and map and save your controls under the Input menu. This tool is the easiest way to get the games running. Rugal and I both used it and it's legit.

Spoon-kun
where are you??? Cyberbots is an option!
quote:
I need to create a bot of myself so I can remain on IRC posthumously.
That's the spirit! You people have been communicating here with a Maoubot for years!

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 14 Jan 10:18]

Professor
5877th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Fri 14 Jan 17:43post reply

quote:
Everyone's favorite announcer sez: "BEAT 'EM UP, GUY! THIS IS STREET FIGHTER ZERO 3!"

Maou-- I've got your mail! Sorry my mailer's been having problems and can't reply but I'll skip on this one, you guys have fun! Man my hand keeps coming and going...

Red Falcon
6364th Post

"Re(7):Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Sat 15 Jan 10:04post reply

Ready to roll, if anyone other than the people who already showed up are interested!

"Re(8):Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Sat 15 Jan 13:30post reply

Conclusions:

-Old KOF games are fun and weirdly different from Capcom, even if their inputs are way too picky for a controller!

-Zero 3 is still loads of fun, and I never knew Sodom could be so mighty till I saw Rugal’s

-It’s possible to survive having your supposedly good-ish Retrobit Saturn pad spontaneously break by connecting an old PS2 Udon pad to a PS2 to USB converter, then running it out of Joy 2 Key as a keyboard input! Or maybe the lesson is I shouldn’t have left my superior Hori pad at the other house, and you shouldn’t, either!

-Cyberbots was not enough to summon Spoon and I have no proof he is not my only online buddy who is actually AI

-Naomi games like CvS2 are really awkward to run on weirdo GGPO even when run through Fightcade…why?

-Fightcade is so good and easy now that even less half-assed online options on the recent SF Collection might not have been enough to shift people over

-This is true love with bacon all the time

Red Falcon
6365th Post

"Re(9):Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Sat 15 Jan 18:33post reply

I had fun! Being able to chat and play is better, no questions in my mind.Hopefully next time some more people might join!

Pencilero

114th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Sun 16 Jan 02:58post reply

quote:
-Naomi games like CvS2 are really awkward to run on weirdo GGPO even when run through Fightcade…why?

My guess would be this is a community project cobbling together, and making old things work with newer technologies through various dark arts.

So we should be thankful it's functional at all, as opposed to unusable as it was in the past.

God bless the mad geniuses behind these projects whose only reward is the satisfaction in knowing that they're keeping the thing they love alive. Although some of them do manage to segue it into careers in the gaming arena, or other fields.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus

PSN: Alpha-Class
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(10):Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Wed 19 Jan 02:07post reply

quote:
I had fun! Being able to chat and play is better, no questions in my mind.Hopefully next time some more people might join!

I need links

Neo0r0chiaku
630th Post

PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: N/A
Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(9):Alpha 3/CvS 2 Lagfest" , posted Thu 20 Jan 14:27post reply

quote:
Conclusions:

-Old KOF games are fun and weirdly different from Capcom, even if their inputs are way too picky for a controller!

-Zero 3 is still loads of fun, and I never knew Sodom could be so mighty till I saw Rugal’s

-It’s possible to survive having your supposedly good-ish Retrobit Saturn pad spontaneously break by connecting an old PS2 Udon pad to a PS2 to USB converter, then running it out of Joy 2 Key as a keyboard input! Or maybe the lesson is I shouldn’t have left my superior Hori pad at the other house, and you shouldn’t, either!

-Cyberbots was not enough to summon Spoon and I have no proof he is not my only online buddy who is actually AI

-Fightcade is so good and easy now that even less half-assed online options on the recent SF Collection might not have been enough to shift people over

-This is true love with bacon all the time

Ooohhhh.....ok I need to jump on the next one. Didn't know you guys were using this. I am down for a session

Long Live I AM!
Red Falcon
6367th Post

"Sunday January 30th Lagfest!" , posted Thu 27 Jan 23:06post reply

Hey hey, just saying I might do another one Sunday January 30th, 9:00 AM Japan time! Anyone interested let me know.

Neo0r0chiaku
631th Post

"Re(1):Sunday January 30th Lagfest!" , posted Sun 30 Jan 14:55post reply

quote:
Hey hey, just saying I might do another one Sunday January 30th, 9:00 AM Japan time! Anyone interested let me know.

Shoot just saw this. I would have joined. For sure next weekend.

Long Live I AM!

"Re(1):Sunday January 30th Lagfest!" , posted Mon 31 Jan 03:41post reply

quote:

Nuts, this is turning out to be a busy semester, but hopefully I can lag soon.

Just curious, but what do you think of fightcade? You have more access to original hardware than anyone else here, so how does the latest fgc fad compare to the real experience?

Red Falcon
6369th Post

"Re(2):Sunday January 30th Lagfest!" , posted Mon 31 Jan 10:03:post reply

If there is genuine interest, I’ll do another one next Saturday, same time. Well, 9:30 AM Japan time, I’ll say.

quote:
Just curious, but what do you think of fightcade? You have more access to original hardware than anyone else here, so how does the latest fgc fad compare to the real experience?

It’s functional. Honestly, the neo geo and cps2/3 stuff is pretty indistinguishable, naomi stuff… less so, ha ha ha ha.

I’d probably whine about how the lag makes reactive anti-air with Sodom’s lp/mp jigoku scrape and meido no miyage impossible, but in essence we’re just goofing around online, so… ww
I’ll have to dig out my pgm and do a martial masters comparison at some point, but it’s probably fine.
QV: everything seems fine except Naomi stuff which has some issues even offline.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Mon 31 Jan 10:06]

Red Falcon
6369th Post

"Sat. February 5th" , posted Tue 1 Feb 21:19post reply

Well, since there seems to be some interest, how about another Saturday February 5th, 9:30 AM Japan time?

Neo0r0chiaku
635th Post

"Re(1):Sat. February 5th" , posted Wed 2 Feb 00:14post reply

quote:
Well, since there seems to be some interest, how about another Saturday February 5th, 9:30 AM Japan time?

So this is Friday 830PM eastern standard time right? I can make it. I have to download fightcade and dig a big hole for those games lol

Long Live I AM!

"Re(2):Sat. February 5th" , posted Wed 2 Feb 01:10post reply

quote:

So this is Friday 830PM eastern standard time right? I can make it. I have to download fightcade and dig a big hole for those games lol

Nope, it’s Friday 7:30pm EST if Sat 9:30am JST. You’ll need to join Rugal’s super secret Discord above if you want to find the Cafe. Other links above show how to install soft. I don’t know if I can join but you will have fun and learn a lot from the master!

Further to Ishmael’s question, Fightcade is pretty glorious and certainly no more laggy than modern games we play with our international group here. It’s also refreshing just how FAST everything is to load, just like in the arcades. Going to this from SFV is like going to FFVI’s three second battle loads after waiting for literally 20 seconds in FFIX.

Red Falcon
6370th Post

"Discord Link" , posted Wed 2 Feb 14:17post reply

quote:
Nope, it’s Friday 7:30pm EST if Sat 9:30am JST. You’ll need to join Rugal’s super secret Discord above if you want to find the Cafe. Other links above show how to install soft. I don’t know if I can join but you will have fun and learn a lot from the master!

Just in case you don’t have the link, here it is again: as usual, Link going down in two days.
https://discord.gg/JAZz5PYC

Pencilero

119th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Sat. February 5th" , posted Wed 2 Feb 15:52post reply

quote:

Handy tool for the consideration of players in other timezones.

Interesting to watch fan projects that have set a standard for industry quality be judged against non-existent commercial offerings. I'm still amazed these mad hobbyists have brought Naomi games to heel, after years of it being accepted as an impossibility.

On one hand, certain licensed games make the legal effort an impossibility; on the other it's sheer negligence, or disregard for the legacy of these intellectual properties that rights holders own.

Red Falcon
6371th Post

"Last call, Sat Feb. 5th, 9:30 AM Japan time!" , posted Fri 4 Feb 08:17post reply

quote:

Just in case you don’t have the link, here it is again: as usual, Link going down in two days.

What the title says.

Neo0r0chiaku
637th Post

"Re(1):Last call, Sat Feb. 5th, 9:30 AM Japan " , posted Fri 4 Feb 12:21post reply

quote:

What the title says.

I should be there. Hopefully installation and connection goes well with no hiccups.

Long Live I AM!
Red Falcon
6372th Post

"Re(2):Last call, Sat Feb. 5th, 9:30 AM Japan" , posted Sun 6 Feb 09:19post reply

Had fun guys, hope you enjoyed it too. Hope more people show up next time!

"Re(3):Last call, Sat Feb. 5th, 9:30 AM Japan" , posted Sun 6 Feb 13:16post reply

quote:
Had fun guys, hope you enjoyed it too. Hope more people show up next time!

Thanks for hosting, Rugal! Nice to play with Orochiaku for the first time, and multi-continent Fightcade works well other than the Naomi games’ button config (why won’t they save?). One thing we were talking about for a future lagfest is how it’s cool that unlike official releases today, it’s possible for different groups of people in the lobby to play each other rather than having to just spectate a single match till it’s their turn. Big fun!

PLUS you can also play nutty stuff like Gouketsuji (Power Instinct??) games, Waku Waku 7, and almost anything else! Still waiting for 3D fare like Justice Gakuen, though, which will surely draw the entire Cafe.

"Re(4):Last call, Sat Feb. 5th, 9:30 AM Japan" , posted Sun 6 Feb 23:50post reply

I wish I could have made it! Between my busy schedule and total incompetence at emulation I'm afraid I just wasn't available. Maybe when the next lagfest rolls around I'll have my act together; there's a first time for everything.

Red Falcon
6373th Post

"Re(5):Last call, Sat Feb. 5th, 9:30 AM Japan" , posted Wed 9 Feb 23:29post reply

quote:
I wish I could have made it! Between my busy schedule and total incompetence at emulation I'm afraid I just wasn't available. Maybe when the next lagfest rolls around I'll have my act together; there's a first time for everything.

Indeed! Hope you can make it next time!

Red Falcon
6374th Post

"Sat. Feb. 12th, 9:30 AM Japan Retro Lagfest" , posted Fri 11 Feb 13:11post reply

Saturday plans cancelled! Any interest in one and I'll do one!
Alpha 3, CVS2, KOF 98, anything at all!

Or, SFV or Strive since we haven't done those recently! Whatever!