Alternate Costumes Thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1585 Views )
talbaineric
6395th Post

user profileedit/delete message
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Alternate Costumes Thread" , posted Wed 29 Sep 03:48post reply

This thread is dedicated to alternate costumes from any of our favorite fighting games. This thread is also for any news on any new costumes that come out.

With the advent of DLC in recent years, alternate costumes are a great way to pay tribute to our favorite characters and past games.

The latest SFV costume, Rose as Ruby Heart has arrived
as well as Ken's Falcon costume from Power Stone and Cyber Akuma. I think Rose pulled Ruby Heart off very nicely! Her scarf even turns into Ruby Heart's chain and anchor. I love little touches like that.

What are some of your favorite alternate costumes?

Replies:

"Re(1):Alternate Costumes Thread" , posted Sat 9 Oct 07:28post reply

quote:
This thread is dedicated to alternate costumes from any of our favorite fighting games. This thread is also for any news on any new costumes that come out.

With the advent of DLC in recent years, alternate costumes are a great way to pay tribute to our favorite characters and past games.

as well as Ken's Falcon costume from Power Stone and Cyber Akuma. I think Rose pulled Ruby Heart off very nicely! Her scarf even turns into Ruby Heart's chain and anchor. I love little touches like that.

Yeah, the Ruby Heart outfit is great, with custom effects and all!

The modding communities have made all sorts of delights/horrors, which I'll link here once I'm back at a PC.

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):Alternate Costumes Thread" , posted Sat 9 Oct 10:02post reply

Yeah, if you check the SFV threads (top post also has the mod links), at least 70% of the fun SFV lagfests was showing off our goofy new costumes at the MMC fashion show, or more recently, hardcore Justice Gakuen cosplay! It was kind of more fun before everyone had access to most costumes in Champion Edition.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...
talbaineric
6397th Post

"Re(2):Alternate Costumes Thread" , posted Mon 11 Oct 07:57post reply

quote:

Yeah, the Ruby Heart outfit is great, with custom effects and all!

The modding communities have made all sorts of delights/horrors, which I'll link here once I'm back at a PC.

There are some quite good mods out there lately. Especially compared to the earliest mods of Street Fighter 4 that were quite horrendous.

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):Alternate Costumes Thread" , posted Tue 12 Oct 00:11post reply

I'm surprised that SNK hasn't done anything with Mai's alt from KoF: Maximum Impact. While a previous attempt at 3D KoF isn't something that SNK probably wants to advertise at the moment they have never been shy about advertising Mai.

Ungenesis
562th Post

PSN: entropytempts
XBL: ungenesis9
Wii: SW-3287-7029-8309(Switch)
STM: ungenesis
CFN: ungenesis
New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Alternate Costumes Thread" , posted Tue 12 Oct 02:38post reply

quote:
I'm surprised that SNK hasn't done anything with Mai's alt from KoF: Maximum Impact. While a previous attempt at 3D KoF isn't something that SNK probably wants to advertise at the moment they have never been shy about advertising Mai.

And the alts on display in that very game proved they weren't afraid (at least then) to reference previous attempts to redesign a character and bring it back into the fold (such as Ryo's Wild Ambition Mr. Karate alt).And even if they didn't want to "sully" mainline KOF with MI designs, SNK Heroines was a lost opportunity to bring the Mai alt back.

"Hai ... Shindekudasai?"

Switch: SW-3287-7029-8309

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):Alternate Costumes Thread" , posted Tue 12 Oct 12:42post reply

quote:
And even if they didn't want to "sully" mainline KOF with MI designs, SNK Heroines was a lost opportunity to bring the Mai alt back.

SNK Heroines costumes in general were pretty disappointing. Worse, for a game built with the idea of dressing the characters with accessories, the accessories themselves were even more disappointing.

I'd like to see some of the MI outfits return.

talbaineric
6416th Post

"Terry MoTW outift: KoF XV" , posted Fri 28 Jan 13:29post reply

Busta Wolf!

He looks great in this!

This also gives me hope B. Jenet will return as DLC....

Just a Person
2369th Post

"Re(1):Terry MoTW outift: KoF XV" , posted Fri 28 Jan 22:36post reply

quote:
Busta Wolf!

He looks great in this!

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
According to the alleged roster leak (the same one that pointed out Elizabeth and Kula before they were announced), B. Jenet will be in a DLC team with Rock and Gato.

I wonder why the three of them would decide to team up with each other. But after the famous '97 Special Team, I guess SNK will give a storyline with a proper explanation (or the DLC teams won't have a storyline).

End of Spoiler

Maybe I'm this person right in front of you... nah probably not though.

"Re(2):Terry MoTW outift: KoF XV" , posted Sat 29 Jan 02:34:post reply

quote:

B. Jenet will be in a DLC team with Rock and Gato.

I wonder why the three of them would decide to team up with each other.

End of Spoiler

I hope it's actually Kevin instead of Gato so the reason is simply the 'blondes' team (plus he can have a chat with Mary and Terry).

[this message was edited by Freeter on Sat 29 Jan 02:35]

"Re(2):Terry MoTW outift: KoF XV" , posted Sat 29 Jan 03:47post reply

Isn't one of the alleged DLC teams

Nakoruru, Haohmaru, and Darli Dagger? While SNK has already given Nakoruru an official KOF presence, and it wouldn't even have been strange to see her return with her old team or new teammates, I don't see her officially going through time and/or across realities just to bring Haohmaru and Darli back for the next tournament.

End of Spoiler

If that is accurate, then odds are the DLC teams will either have no "real" story, or it could be a mix-and-match.

SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy seemed to take a mix-and-match approach. The DLC SNK characters have the same ending structure as the base roster; their endings consist of a dream/nightmare and then they wake. Crossover characters like Skullomania and Jeanne had a different structure; their endings star with the character waking and then going through regular life. The implication is that the presence of the DLC characters varied.

Samurai Shodown 2019 might have been the same. Everyone had a story (for as little story as the game had), but some DLC characters are pretty obvious non-canon "guest stars".

Pencilero

118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Terry MoTW outift: KoF XV" , posted Sun 30 Jan 04:22post reply

quote:

The proper explanation for the return, "There is massive fan nostalgia for our niche title, but we're not committed to creating a proper sequel; so please spend DLC money to satiate your nostalgic needs."

See also, the current Capcom / Street Fighter model. Oh cruel reality. :(

'Member Berries, for sale - cheap.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus

"Re(3):Terry MoTW outift: KoF XV" , posted Sun 30 Jan 04:52post reply

quote:
The proper explanation for the return, "There is massive fan nostalgia for our niche title, but we're not committed to creating a proper sequel; so please spend DLC money to satiate your nostalgic needs."

To be fair, current SNK doesn't seem capable of releasing more games. I want to recall an interview where they either said or strongly implied that they only have the ability to work on one fighting game at a time. (As compared to Capcom, which simply chooses not to bother with fighting games.)

2017 was KOF XIV
2018 was SNK Heroines, which recycled a lot of its design and assets from KOFXIV
2019 was Samurai Shodown
2020 was nothing new (just DLC characters for SamShow2019 and the PC port)
2021 was nothing new (just the beta for the as yet unreleased KOF XV)
2022 will be KOF XV

Neo0r0chiaku
633th Post

PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
STM: N/A
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Terry MoTW outift: KoF XV" , posted Sun 30 Jan 15:16post reply

quote:

To be fair, current SNK doesn't seem capable of releasing more games. I want to recall an interview where they either said or strongly implied that they only have the ability to work on one fighting game at a time. (As compared to Capcom, which simply chooses not to bother with fighting games.)

2017 was KOF XIV
2018 was SNK Heroines, which recycled a lot of its design and assets from KOFXIV
2019 was Samurai Shodown
2020 was nothing new (just DLC characters for SamShow2019 and the PC port)
2021 was nothing new (just the beta for the as yet unreleased KOF XV)
2022 will be KOF XV

Surely they can hire some 2D developers and create some small 2D games. In a perfect world (sigh)

Long Live I AM!
talbaineric
6417th Post

"Re(2):Terry MoTW outift: KoF XV" , posted Tue 1 Feb 00:37post reply

I'm hoping that leak is true. Because this will be an epic roster if it comes true.

Pencilero

120th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Terry MoTW outift: KoF XV" , posted Wed 2 Feb 16:08post reply

quote:

For the interest of disclosure, how long ago was this interview?

With multiple cash injections, SNK is going to need to devise a coherent business plan for it's Chinese and Saudi investors, as "survive" isn't a particularly lucrative business model.

At this point setting a budget and licensing out titles to competent development teams would be an appealing option to appease fans and investors. Just don't evil genie me, and pump out a gaggle of forgettable mobage rubbish.

I'm hoping the upcoming Yacht Club announcement has something to do with a partnership to revitalize a slumbering intellectual property for a Japanese publisher (SNK/Sega). There are numerous competent niche developers out there who could handle the dirty work with adequate funding.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus

"Re(5):Terry MoTW outift: KoF XV" , posted Thu 3 Feb 05:11post reply

quote:
For the interest of disclosure, how long ago was this interview?

With multiple cash injections, SNK is going to need to devise a coherent business plan for it's Chinese and Saudi investors, as "survive" isn't a particularly lucrative business model.

At this point setting a budget and licensing out titles to competent development teams would be an appealing option to appease fans and investors. Just don't evil genie me, and pump out a gaggle of forgettable mobage rubbish.

I can't find it anymore, but it would have been some time during SamSho 2019's life.

In regards to their new money and the idea of licensing out IP, there was a Polygon interview last year with Oda that asked both of those questions, only to not get any meaningful answers. When asked about changes from the MiSK investment, Oda said that they couldn't comment on such questions, and that it was above his pay grade. When asked about getting other developers to make games with SNK IP, Oda said that there was no rule stopping SNK from doing do, but that he couldn't say anything about SNK doing it in the future.