user profileedit/delete message
PSN: beatolover
XBL: Dead
Wii: Dead
STM: bugrom1067
CFN: rugalbgood
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Striiiiiiive?" , posted Fri 2 Jul 23:17post reply

Speaking of lagfests (or slightly less laggy fests, in this case) did anyone besides me here actually get it, and if so would you like to play at some point?

Replies:

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):Striiiiiiive?" , posted Thu 8 Jul 01:30post reply

Ha ha, no one will ever beat me in GG Strive! (Because I haven't bought the game yet.)

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(1):Striiiiiiive?" , posted Thu 8 Jul 04:45post reply

I had to drop the game as life suddenly required me to start reading In search of lost time in Spanish (as it can happen to anyone, such is life). However, I'll probably come back sooner or later. Hopefully by that time crossplay will be implemented!

https://comunidadarcsystemworks.tumblr.com/post/655805947239907328/exclusive-interview-with-arc-system-works-2021

quote:
CASW: Last but not least, the next step would be cross play so all the community could play together. In a genre like fighting games, in which the community is the cornerstone, I feel like this should be a must have going forward. Do we have more news regarding this demanded feature? Does rollback netcode make it harder to implement crossplay between different consoles or between consoles and PC?

Of course, we are always striving to accomplish this, and we are going through the verification processes for it. But there are still many practical issues like schedules and the running costs of matching servers. It will take a little more time before we can make a concrete announcement.

Mosquiton
2488th Post

"Re(2):Striiiiiiive?" , posted Thu 8 Jul 07:29post reply

quote:

Of course, we are always striving to accomplish this, and we are going through the verification processes for it. But there are still many practical issues like schedules and the running costs of matching servers. It will take a little more time before we can make a concrete announcement.

Eventually we will experience cross-smell of the game. And hopefully Testament.

/ / /
Pencilero

17th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Striiiiiiive?" , posted Thu 8 Jul 15:43post reply

quote:
I had to drop the game as life suddenly required me to start reading In search of lost time in Spanish (as it can happen to anyone, such is life). However, I'll probably come back sooner or later. Hopefully by that time crossplay will be implemented!

I hope so. My PSN+ expired a few weeks back.

Dedicating myself to PC Master Race as it's the best option to enjoy PSO, and stop forcing myself to try Monster Hunter for the Nth time only to be left wanting PSO.

If only Bamco would release MSG Extreme Vs Maxiboost On (was that the title, it was such a mishmash of Engrish excitement I can hardly remember what goes where...) on PC I could totally kick my PS4 to the curb.

Sorry, wild tangent. I'm looking forward to cross play, although I too have yet to purchase Strive on Steam.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus

"Re(3):Striiiiiiive?" , posted Thu 8 Jul 23:22post reply

quote:

Eventually we will experience cross-smell of the game. And hopefully Testament.

I'm hoping Testament - or any other characters - are added soon since the roster feels a bit sparse at the moment. I don't want to play and simply get destroyed by Chipp players all day; I want to get destroyed by a large and varied cast.

Pencilero

26th Post

Rare Customer

"Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Wed 21 Jul 14:24post reply

Yes, yes it is! I wonder if the casket is also a nod to the Iron Maiden torture device itself?

Goldlewis Dickinson

I hope additional newcomers are this inspired!

Is Ishiwatari into any more recent metal acts? I'd love to see some Power Wolf, Lord of the Lost, or Avatar references in game.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus

"Re(1):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Wed 21 Jul 22:33post reply

I like GG but I've never been in love with the RC system. No matter how colorful or creative the game looks on the surface I know at some point it's going to devolve into Sin dropping multiple frames of animation as he endlessly bops people with a flag pole. Strive, however, seems to be about big, weighty attacks. Goldlewis Dickinson would never have had the heft behind his attacks if he had debuted in an earlier game.

What do veteran GG players think of Strive? Do they feel it is a new variation on GG or is it too different from what came before?

Red Falcon
6304th Post

"Re(2):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Thu 22 Jul 15:54post reply

quote:

What do veteran GG players think of Strive? Do they feel it is a new variation on GG or is it too different from what came before?

It's not GG, BUT I really enjoy it a lot! It reminds me of something odd that would have been released in the late 90s, mechanically.

"Re(3):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Thu 22 Jul 23:53post reply

quote:
It's not GG, BUT I really enjoy it a lot! It reminds me of something odd that would have been released in the late 90s, mechanically.

Nuts, that summary really makes me want to play the game! My time with the beta convinced me Strive wasn't like the past few GG games, but it wasn't until I watched several streams that I realized that this new game engine had a lot of potential and was probably a lot of fun. The rest of the year doesn't look like it's going to be conductive for me to crack into a new fighter but I might be tempted anyway if there's a sale and/or they fix the lobbies.

Pencilero

27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Fri 23 Jul 15:08post reply

quote:
Nuts, that summary really makes me want to play the game! My time with the beta convinced me Strive wasn't like the past few GG games, but it wasn't until I watched several streams that I realized that this new game engine had a lot of potential and was probably a lot of fun. The rest of the year doesn't look like it's going to be conductive for me to crack into a new fighter but I might be tempted anyway if there's a sale and/or they fix the lobbies.

I'm trash at GG and enjoyed the hell out of the Strive beta. It wasn't until the closing of the second to last beta, that I was tempted to delve into the Roman Cancel system and my work schedule prevented me from doing that in the following beta.

The key to any fighting game that I try to impart on my peers is don't fret over theory fighting, or hypotheticals, just enjoy playing with people at the same level as yourself.

That said, I never felt as abused in Strive as I did in my BlazBlue days, or annoyed in the SF4 days. BlazBlue was just in the game design and my loyalty to Iron Tager. SF4 just had too much working against it for this oldhead. Janky visuals, clunky feeling, and too damned many micro-cinematics. This is coming from someone that was annoyed by overly long throw animations in the Street Fighter EX series, SF4 did that to 11.

Fortunately most fighting game developers seem to have realized that it's not the spectators that matter, it's the players and the match flow.

I'm impressed by the efficiency of Goldlewis's move set. Some of the Behemoth Typhoon inputs remind me of the harebrained antics SNK would get up to back in the day.

"Re(5):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Sat 24 Jul 00:43post reply

quote:
I'm impressed by the efficiency of Goldlewis's move set. Some of the Behemoth Typhoon inputs remind me of the harebrained antics SNK would get up to back in the day.

Good luck to the GG community in their future attempts to write up combos using numpad notations for this character!

Pencilero

28th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Sun 25 Jul 06:39post reply

quote:
Good luck to the GG community in their future attempts to write up combos using numpad notations for this character!

It may be difficult to the generations with no cultural memory of Street Fighter 2 inputs being foreign to us at the time.

However I was under the impression these galaxy brains started using numpad notation because the old was of qcf/qcb, etc. were "too complex"? 8/7, 7/4, 4/1, 1/2, 2/3, 3/6, 6/9, 9/8 ought to cover the bases.

I'm more concerned by up/8 inputs. I always felt cardinal directions in 2D fighting games was an issue. up/8 is jump. This could lead to a lot of Zangief/Akuma style hilarity where you see your opponent having a spastic fit as they attempt to mash out an SPD/Raging Bunghole.

Doing housework today and lamenting my failure to purchase this game yet. I really need to put my money where my mouth is as this is a pivotal moment for the Japanese fighting game genre. Admitting that a non-Japanese online implementation is one of the more reliable solutions, embracing it, and ending up with a relative commercial success (for the Guilty Gear franchise) in the process.

Maybe next paycheck if I have enough wiggle room after rent and bills I'll buy the Steam gift card to make it happen. Send the message with the wallet that the market demands more product like this.

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Sun 25 Jul 07:15post reply

quote:

Goldlewis shouldn't prove a notation problem. Arguably, he is one of the situations numpad notation was meant to address, as numpad notation removes the confusion of something like "inverted half-circle forward" or "half-circle from up through back to down".

The eight different version of Behemoth Typhoon have different properties and uses. They probably aren't going to be interchangeable in combos.

The standout is that Behemoth Typhoon apparently requires you are holding the final input direction as you press the attack button, though I don't know how strict that is. (Does it leniently count sliding past to a diagonal as still holding the desired direction?)

The other weird case is Down With The System, which has apparently has an alternate input that can further be used to power up the move. So you can do the noted hcb+f input, or do a full circle input, and doing additional full circles boosts the final power.

Red Falcon
6306th Post

"Re(7):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Mon 26 Jul 18:22post reply

quote:

I'm more concerned by up/8 inputs.

Buffer it when doing other stuff. It's the same input as one of Marstorius' command throws in Fighter's History Dynamite!

"Re(8):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Wed 18 Aug 23:38post reply

Jack-O's rather short trailer has been released. I like her new hair but I do wonder if she was released too early. Strive is a bit straightforward at the moment so her old, unique playstyle wouldn't work in the game right now. As it is, it looks like her new game plan is to just fill the screen with garbage, which is what Faust and Venom already do. Would her RTS style have worked better in a later season once Strive had some time to breathe?

Red Falcon
6389th Post

"Strive thread, back from the dead!" , posted Sun 20 Mar 16:35post reply

Testament returns!

"Re(1):Strive thread, back from the dead!" , posted Sun 20 Mar 22:48post reply

quote:
Testament returns!

Also a free diorama mode, where you can pose characters (using preset poses) in stages and add effects and such.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):Strive thread, back from the dead!" , posted Mon 21 Mar 00:33post reply

quote:

Also a free diorama mode, where you can pose characters (using preset poses) in stages and add effects and such.

Amazing! This is just what an Arc-clueless person like me needs to enjoy the art: Guilty Gear dress-up dolls/action figure mode!

...didn't Testament used to be a dude?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

"Re(3):Strive thread, back from the dead!" , posted Mon 21 Mar 00:50post reply

quote:

They're non-binary now.
I really wonder what it means for the future of Bridget.
Be brave and put a big moustache on Bridget!

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(4):Strive thread, back from the dead!" , posted Mon 21 Mar 00:56post reply

quote:
They're non-binary now.

Who knew that SFV's Seth of all people would be at the forefront of the latest last boss trends!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

"Re(5):Strive thread, back from the dead!" , posted Mon 21 Mar 01:20post reply

quote:
They're non-binary now.
Who knew that SFV's Seth of all people would be at the forefront of the latest last boss trends!

I just saw the list of Testament's hobbies on the website and it's just hilarious.
I guess that's what happens when you've spent your life being someone's servant/guardian, and now the person your life revolved around has left the nest and you decide to do and be absolutely everything you have ever wanted to do and be, all at once.

Either that, or the GG world also had covid and Testament spent 2 years in lockdown being bored out of their mind.

"Re(2):Strive thread, back from the dead!" , posted Mon 21 Mar 07:24post reply

quote:
Testament returns!

As well as cross-play! Or x-play, if we want to use GG's nomenclature. I skipped on picking up GG but with recent developments in the game - as well as the ability to play against anyone on the board regardless of platform - I might pick it up. My reasons for not getting GG day 1 was that I felt the game was too straightforward, but now I can look forward to traditional GG gameplay with Testament hitting me from every direction at once. That's progress!

Red Falcon
6391th Post

"Re(3):Strive thread, back from the dead!" , posted Mon 21 Mar 08:10post reply

quote:
Testament returns!
As well as cross-play!

This means everyone will be down for a much-delayed Strive lagfest, riiiiiiiight? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Red Falcon
6402th Post

"Big ol’ update patch" , posted Thu 16 Jun 10:40post reply

Nobody talking about it? Anyone here still playing beyond me?
Still would like to try a lagfest for this at some point as it’s quite viable to play people even on the east coast of the US from Japan.

"Re(1):Big ol’ update patch" , posted Thu 16 Jun 23:59post reply

quote:
Still would like to try a lagfest for this at some point as it’s quite viable to play people even on the east coast of the US from Japan.

I've been dealing with family illness around here so my hoped-for time this summer got shot to hell. Sorry about that!

How is Strive compared to other GG games? It looks more straightforward than previous games, but since I felt that GG often got too noodley for its own good that might not be a bad thing.

Red Falcon
6405th Post

"Re(2):Big ol’ update patch" , posted Sat 18 Jun 09:26post reply

quote:

How is Strive compared to other GG games? It looks more straightforward than previous games, but since I felt that GG often got too noodley for its own good that might not be a bad thing.

It’s not really a Guilty Gear, but I am enjoying it a lot. It’s kinda too straightforward for its own good, by the era of Accent Core the complexity of older Guilty Gears gave you an incredible amount of freedom and potential in what you could do with your characters and Strive really lacks that, but again, despite that, I like it a lot!

Shin_ATproof
1276th Post

PSN: GTlShin_ATproof
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Big ol’ update patch" , posted Sun 19 Jun 15:53:post reply

quote:

I still play time to time. Mostly locally in the arcades. Maybe we can get a set in sometime!
I play Baiken and basically just her. Maybe Sol to an extent.

Fact: Everything with Norio Wakamoto and/or JAM Project is awesome.
Sí mon con langosta y camarón!

[this message was edited by Shin_ATproof on Sun 19 Jun 16:10]

Red Falcon
6406th Post

"Re(2):Big ol’ update patch" , posted Mon 20 Jun 10:19post reply

quote:

I still play time to time. Mostly locally in the arcades. Maybe we can get a set in sometime!
I play Baiken and basically just her. Maybe Sol to an extent.

Absolutely!
I play in the arcade when I go down to Tokyo, but there are no decent game centers here, so I mostly ride PSN. But yeah, I’m on pretty much every night, so gimme a shout.

Red Falcon
6413th Post

"Bridget" , posted Mon 8 Aug 14:15:post reply

What the title says.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Mon 8 Aug 14:16]

"Re(1):Bridget" , posted Tue 9 Aug 00:52:post reply

quote:
What the title says.

Good to see the yo-yo boy is back, even if he still has that ridiculous handcuff levitating around his waist. Looking forward to seeing him wall break someone with his flying peach attack.
EDIT: My mistake, I guess Bridget is using she/her pronouns now!

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Tue 9 Aug 01:43]

"Re(2):Bridget" , posted Tue 9 Aug 04:40post reply

quote:
What the title says.

Good to see the yo-yo boy is back, even if he still has that ridiculous handcuff levitating around his waist. Looking forward to seeing him wall break someone with his flying peach attack.

This makes for an interesting gender studies moment, because I think Bridget has more appeal as a "cute boy" than as a "cute girl", in spite of Bridget coding overtly female in all aspects of visual design/animation! Quite a lot of the original story was around doing manly things in order to be manly, but once that's achieved I can see a new story written around "well what do YOU want to be?"

I specifically do think though that the "I'm constantly gender-coded as female but I identify as male!" is a unique angle that I think is too easily resolved by "I'll just identify as female and now nobody is confused". Choosing to be trans as a means of conforming to society/social expectations is arguably an interesting thought, but it's also one which I have mixed feelings about.

Platinum Carpet V.I.P - THE FOOL

"Re(3):Bridget" , posted Tue 9 Aug 06:03post reply

quote:
This makes for an interesting gender studies moment, because I think Bridget has more appeal as a "cute boy" than as a "cute girl", in spite of Bridget coding overtly female in all aspects of visual design/animation! Quite a lot of the original story was around doing manly things in order to be manly, but once that's achieved I can see a new story written around "well what do YOU want to be?"
I specifically do think though that the "I'm constantly gender-coded as female but I identify as male!" is a unique angle that I think is too easily resolved by "I'll just identify as female and now nobody is confused". Choosing to be trans as a means of conforming to society/social expectations is arguably an interesting thought, but it's also one which I have mixed feelings about.

I was extremely confused by this conversation because I didn't see any of this "Bridget identifies as a girl" when I played.
And then I saw the scene in English, and... well... that's not at all what they say in Japanese!
The Japanese scene is just a middle-of-the-road aspirational "you need to find what you want to do in life", and Bridget answers "I see! I need to see what I want for myself" or something like that. I didn't really pay attention because it was not a particularly interesting conversation, but I'm 100% sure there was nothing about gender there.
I even had the feeling that the JPN was more about "what I want to do" while the EN is firmly on the side of "who I want to be".
It's really weird because Testament's identity is presented exactly the same in JPN and EN. It's also strange that Bridget would want to identify as a girl after the sign on the hat was changed from the male Mars to an androgyny symbol.

Really wonder what happened there.

"Re(4):Bridget" , posted Tue 9 Aug 09:47post reply

quote:

I was extremely confused by this conversation because I didn't see any of this "Bridget identifies as a girl" when I played.
And then I saw the scene in English, and... well... that's not at all what they say in Japanese!
The Japanese scene is just a middle-of-the-road aspirational "you need to find what you want to do in life", and Bridget answers "I see! I need to see what I want for myself" or something like that. I didn't really pay attention because it was not a particularly interesting conversation, but I'm 100% sure there was nothing about gender there.
I even had the feeling that the JPN was more about "what I want to do" while the EN is firmly on the side of "who I want to be".

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

That's some kind of a regional difference, wow.

nobinobita
1923th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Bridget" , posted Tue 9 Aug 11:05post reply

quote:
What the title says.

Making Bridget a girl is ... kinda problematic no? It implies that you can just be socialized into whatever gender you want. This is a BIG can of worms to open potentially!

Are they really going to make Bridget trans for English speakers and still a feminine presenting male for Japan? Cos that's one hell of a localization difference!

In any case, Bridget looks AMAZING. I am still blown away every time I see Strive. I mean, this game runs well on my 5 year old PC (made for work, not gaming!) and it still looks at least as good as the latest big budget animated feature films! It's such a technical and artistic marvel!

www.art-eater.com

"Re(5):Bridget" , posted Tue 9 Aug 19:54post reply

CORRECTION

There are actually two different scenes, one if you play normal, one if you play hard (and I was playing normal because haha me and GG).
The scene in hard mode is actually the one where she comes out as a girl, and it is indeed the same in Japanese.

Sorry for the confusion!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Novasonicrun/status/1556638829158797313

"Re(6):Bridget" , posted Wed 10 Aug 04:04post reply

This yo-yo ride Bridget has been on is wild! This course-correction leads to some unintended discussions due to Bridget's old backstory, but when a years-old story gets updated through the medium of fighting game cut-scenes things are going to get messy. Still, it seems to be done with the best of intentions and people seem happy with the change. The work done on Testament and Bridget has made GG:S an interesting focal point on representation. (Wait, after looking at the listing of characters used at EVO, is Testament actually in the game?)

"Re(7):Bridget" , posted Wed 10 Aug 09:02post reply

quote:
Still, it seems to be done with the best of intentions and people seem happy with the change. The work done on Testament and Bridget has made GG:S an interesting focal point on representation.

While I don't have an issue with Testament, I do have some with the change to Bridget.

Bridget was originally a metaphor for freedom of choice of identity. Society demanded Bridget be female, but while Bridget looked the part, Bridget fought back by continuing to identify as male. Taking this to its natural extension, Strive (presumably unintentionally) shows Bridget ultimately finding happiness through conforming to society's demands.

Ignoring the above, Strive Bridget changing its crossdressing character into a trans character steps into the issue of whether wearing women's clothing means you should identify as female. While this can seem a bit silly of a concern, this is a subject where you can find somewhat conflicting opinions. Some firmly declare that crossdressing and transgenderism are separate, while others at the least imply that someone who wears women's clothing at some level is identifying with being female.

The third is the sentiment that only the "right" kind of trans characters are acceptable. A character being and remaining unhappy about their gender identity is a harmful and stigmatizing negative portrayal. With this argument, the only "acceptable" path was for Bridget to embrace being identified as female, because simply switching to male clothing would be viewed as "erasing" or "fixing" a trans character. While the sentiment is generally well-intentioned, it does having a limiting factor on the kinds of stories you are allowed to tell, and the characters you are "allowed" to create. It is also a sentiment that can lead to even more problematic "corrections".

nobinobita
1928th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(8):Bridget" , posted Sat 20 Aug 15:33post reply

quote:
Still, it seems to be done with the best of intentions and people seem happy with the change. The work done on Testament and Bridget has made GG:S an interesting focal point on representation.

While I don't have an issue with Testament, I do have some with the change to Bridget.

Bridget was originally a metaphor for freedom of choice of identity. Society demanded Bridget be female, but while Bridget looked the part, Bridget fought back by continuing to identify as male. Taking this to its natural extension, Strive (presumably unintentionally) shows Bridget ultimately finding happiness through conforming to society's demands.

Ignoring the above, Strive Bridget changing its crossdressing character into a trans character steps into the issue of whether wearing women's clothing means you should identify as female. While this can seem a bit silly of a concern, this is a subject where you can find somewhat conflicting opinions. Some firmly declare that crossdressing and transgenderism are separate, while others at the least imply that someone who wears women's clothing at some level is identifying with being female.

The third is the sentiment that only the "right" kind of trans characters are acceptable. A character being and remaining unhappy about their gender identity is a harmful and stigmatizing negative portrayal. With this argument, the only "acceptable" path was for Bridget to embrace being identified as female, because simply switching to male clot

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Thank you for articulating this so well. I'm glad there's such a place as the MMCafe still, where you can have a good faith discussion about things like this.

www.art-eater.com